Diabetes Support - February Chat

View Full Version : February Chat

fatmad
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone:

Yesterday was really pleased. I got hungry while driving for work, and had a high protein granola bar instead of the junk food I got a craving for.
Today not so successful, went for groceries but was hungry, and binged on junk. Feeling crummy now. Hope I won't repeat that any time soon.

According to Wiarton Willie, (our local groundhog) or at least the pundits who are planning for him to see his shadow tomorrow, it will be a long winter. We are getting more snow, so time to bundle up and keep warm.

pattygirl63
02-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Fatmad I was starving for about 2 days this week and couldn't ever get satisfied until I had a nice salad. I wanted anything and everything those 2 days, but now I am finding that I have been really hungry for "healthy" foods. I went to the store today and got a lot of fruits and veggies.

I've really had a nice 2 days of eating OP.

love2b150
02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Madeleine thanks for starting the new thread :) I don't know what I was thinking about I'll close the old one if Ruth hasn't

Hi Trish :wave:

sweetenuf
02-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Hello February!! Im Down 13lbs in my first 2 weeks on IP....seriously can not wait to see my progress at the end of February. Im very excited and that drives me to be 100% OP. Good luck every body!

fatmad
02-02-2014, 09:25 AM
So Wiarton Willie saw his shadow, which means six more weeks of wintery weather. This is no surprise to me. I need to get out more. DH has been stellar about keeping the driveway shovelled so I can get out for work. I need to be outside more. If its just snowy and cold, and not arctic, I can do it.
Hoping to be more active in general.
We are neither hosting nor been invited to any Super Bowl activities, so temptation should not be a major problem today.
Hope you all have fun and stay on your (possibly modified) plan for the day.

Ruthxxx
02-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks for starting us up! I've been neglectful.

Weight is up a bit to 193 from not paying attention. I did discover last month that low-carb (induction) wreaks havoc with my FBGL so am going to do a moderate low carb. I will be avoiding all real sugar, of course, but do seem to need good carbs in my plan. Yesterday I made a super beef stew with veggies, incuding three of those very smal potatoes and this morning's reading is good.

Still have not been able to get back to the gym - very sore knees are the hold-back. I am off Aleve for the knee pain because it seems to have caused another problem - oral lichen planus which is related to the auto-immune system. And, of course arthritis is back without the Aleve! Sucks to get old but I've not given up!

Too bad Uncle Arthur comes to visit so soon after Aunt Flo has decamped! ;)

Had a bad time last month when I stayed in the house due to illness, extreme cold or both! Lately it's been better since the weather has moderated. I've been keeping the deck stairs shoveled so dear old Disney can get down into the dog yard. I refuse to join the ranks of the old ladies who just stay in their houses this time of year and crab about the weather!

On we go with a better (and shorter) month.

pattygirl63
02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Ruthie Good to see you checking in. Sorry about the knee problems. We do seem to have to baby our joints at this point. I agree we will see a better month this month. I too refuse to be one of those old women who sits at home all the time and becomes crabby about the weather and eventually everything else. I want to enjoy the rest of my life as much and as healthy as possible. I have also learned that I cannot do a strict low carb diet any more. As soon as I do, my fbs starts going up. I think I have to eat more low glycemic. I thought I could do vegan/vegetarian, but my fbs goes up when I try to do that. While can eat lots of veggies and some fruits, I seem to need to eat a more balanced diet. I think our bodies change over the years. Makes me wonder how much all of our dieting through out the years has contributed to this.

sweetenuf :welcome2: to the group and congratulations on 13 lb loss. Look forward to getting to know you.

I've been reading some about people who lose their weight and maintain. I've decided from what I read that it is better NOT to use exercise for losing weight. I think it is important to exercise, but if you use it for weight loss and something happens so that you can't exercise then it makes it easier to gain back what you lost. Successful maintainers eat the way they are going to eat the rest of their lives... NOT JUST TO LOSE WEIGHT and then go back to eating like we did before the diet. I've certainly made that mistake myself. I read that it is better to eat the same foods while losing weight the very same foods that you are going to want to eat when you reach goal so that will help us to maintain our goal weight once we get there. This makes absolutely sense to me. It is why Intuitive Eating teaches you to change your eating habits making a new lifestyle of eating rather than a diet. IE says dieters think of diets as something you do to lose weight and then go back to eating the way you ate before you dieted. So I'm trying to change my way of thinking about how I lose weight. It can be much slower, but the pay off is that it is more lasting. I think that is basically what WW really teaches... make "new" lasting healthy eating habits. Some do it and succeed and some don't.

Rennie :wave: Hope things are going well for you.

Wannabehealthy
02-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Well, my cold is back with a vengeance, or it's a different cold. I'm really tired of this. I am coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose and feeling run down and awful. My temp was up to 99 this afternoon. That's the first thing I check because if I get a fever, then it's probably more than a cold. I will keep checking it and if it's a problem I will be calling the dr. I have not been sick like this for several years. The only good thing about it is I've lost my appetite! LOL

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm.

love2b150
02-02-2014, 05:38 PM
sweetenuf great job on the 13lbs gone :high:

Ruth good to see you, sorry about your knees. That's funny about Uncle Arthur and Aunt Flo, thanks for the heads up ;)

Mad no parties here either. I don't like football and my husband is at work, the boys will watch of course :)

Trish I agree that eating the way we plan to eat the rest of our lives is a great thing to do. However in order for me to eat properly I had to cut out a lot and I will have to gradually add GOOD things back in. Today is the last day of our consecration and I know that I don't want to go back to the way I ate before. It wasn't a good fit at all. But like someone said I know I need to find a balance in order to be successful. Maybe I can make a stew with only 3 small potatoes and only eat one or can I? That is my issue, discipline. I am going to start with the low carb bread, low carb tortilla and some quinoa wild rice blend I bought and see how it goes. I want to make a crustless chicken pot and see how I like that. I have so many ideas to keep me in check. I just pray I can follow through :)

love2b150
02-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Carol Sue, I hope you get better soon :hug: It's 64 degree outside right now. Feels better outside than in, it's a little chilly in here ... to me :) Feel better my friend :hug:

pattygirl63
02-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Carol Sue Sorry I missed you while back. Sorry you are sick again. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Wannabehealthy
02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
I feel better today. I didn't get up until 11:30AM. It felt good to sleep in. I am OK until I start coughing, then I can't stop. Still no appetite.

fatmad
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi all: no time to check in yesterday. I am supposed to be off call and doing office work all week, but had to go to a delivery yesterday, as it was too busy not to do it. SO was up before dawn for a meeting and didn't get home until 930. Exhausted. Had a good night's sleep though.
Re the insomnia: visiting the naturopath has helped. I have very little insomnia now. We also completed mediation in the practice, so I am not sure how much is less anxiety and how much is the vitamins. The NP put me on vitamin B12 shots and a different b complex vitamin. I have to have these early am, not late in the day. In any case, I am sleeping much better.
Have not been doing well with weight and food, but am determined to change that.
Trish, I agree that exercise shouldn't be for weight loss. It makes me feel better. It will help us stay toned as we lose. Its good for us generally. And while we are doing yoga or are on the treadmill, we are not eating! :D
Ruth and those with arthritis. I have been really helped with the LivRelief Cream. In Canada it available at shoppers drug mart.
You just rub it on in affected places, and the pain is relieved. It is not like voltaren emulgel, there are no drugs in it, but it is working nicely. As you may (or may not ) remember, I am allergic to many pain meds, Aspirin and all the NSAID's like Aleve and Voltaren and Advil etc. So pain relief without medication is great.
I hope we all have a good week.

sweetenuf
02-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Thank you every one for the warm welcome!

pattygirl63
02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Trish, I agree that exercise shouldn't be for weight loss. It makes me feel better. It will help us stay toned as we lose. Its good for us generally. And while we are doing yoga or are on the treadmill, we are not eating! :D

So true. :D I think back to some of the things I did over the years that I thought I couldn't/wouldn't eat while doing, but exercise isn't one of them. I find that now that I have got into the habit of doing some sort of exercise everyday that I am able to sleep better. I don't have as many nights of insomnia as I used to have.

I'm within my points each day, but my weight just seems to be holding where it is. I'm really bored with food right now and kind of just grab what is easier to eat. DH is bored with the healthier stuff so that doesn't help. I have been lots of homemade veggie type soups and salads with some whole grain thrown in. Maybe when spring gets here, I will be ready for the fresh veggies etc. FBS was up a little bit today, but has been staying in the 140s. I got hungry for popcorn last night and made air popped, but I think it must raise my fbs because it is always up a little bit the next day. My body just doesn't tolerate it. :(

Wannabehealthy
02-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I got some different cough/cold medicine and it's helping. I almost feel normal except for the occasional coughing fit.

Welcome Sweetenuff. Good job with IP. We are all using varied eating plans here and like to compare results.

Trish, do you get WW magazine? There was a recipe in the current issue for Cabbage Rolls in the slow cooker. 2 cabbage rolls is a serving, at 7 pts. It shows a carb count of 33 gms, which I felt was a little high. I entered the ingredients in Fitday to see where the carbs were coming from and it was mostly from the vegetables, so they are good carbs. The recipe is for 12 cabbage rolls and uses 2 cups of cooked brown rice. When I make cabbage rolls I make 40+ rolls and I only use 2 cups of rice or less, so I would cut way back on the rice in this recipe. I never tried using brown rice but I will try it next time. I will post the recipe in the recipe thread.

So here's something to give you all a chuckle. I need something to get me back in the exercise mode so I ordered Hip Hop Abs. Can a 68 year old grandma do this exercise? LOL It was on an infomercial and it was reduced to $19.95, probably because they have come out with a new video and are pushing that one. Since my abs are my biggest problem I figure even if I modify it to my own intensity, it can't be bad. The worst that can happen is I will be passing it on to my daughter or daughter-in-law. They don't even need it. Maybe this cold med has me delirious! LOL

Wannabehealthy
02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
YoooHooo! Where is everyone? I am coming along slowly with the cold. My new exercise video hasn't arrived yet, and I'm planning on starting it as soon as it comes, so I will be exercising, cold or not.

I have not been eating my greens the past couple days. It's been comfort food all the way. And I noticed last night my back pain coming back a little. I'm convinced that the greens are what made my back and shoulder pain go away. I will make some today before they go bad.

Who watched Biggest Loser? So much talk about how bad the winner, Rachel looked. I think that was because they emphasize that $250K prize so much so she tried to lose as much as she could to win the prize. Now that the prize money is safely deposited into her bank account she can ease up and gain a little of that back. 20 lbs would do it. And we all know how easy it is to gain back!!!

fatmad
02-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Continuing on. Doing better with staying on plan, but definitely having problems with being snackish in the evenings, undoing my good day.
What are others doing to deal with the urge for sweets etc in the evenings?

Wannabehealthy
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Continuing on. Doing better with staying on plan, but definitely having problems with being snackish in the evenings, undoing my good day.
What are others doing to deal with the urge for sweets etc in the evenings?

Mad, it's a always a battle for everyone, I think. It seems that if you do good all day, you seem to think your deserve a little treat later on. What I sometimes do when I'm tempted is tell myself "If I don't eat that, maybe I'll be down a pound in the morning." And sometimes I am!

Since I've had this cold that seems to be going on forever, I get a little nauseated after I eat. Sometimes in the evening I go lie down in bed to watch TV, and I won't eat in bed.

Or, Make some sort of sign that says "Kitchen Closed." One you have cleaned up after dinner, put up the sign as a reminder not to go in there again. I just might have DH make a little sign for me. He needs a project! LOL

pattygirl63
02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Carol Sue Sorry you are still sick. I sure hope that passes soon. Also, I forgot that you asked me about WW magazine. Yes, I do get it. In fact, somehow I ended up with 2 subscriptions because I thought mine had run out. So I get 2 of them and have been sharing one with my hairdresser.

Madeliene Since I've changed the way I eat, I actually don't get hungry for sweets much any more. I do like to eat at night so I've scheduled my plan to fit food into the evening so that I don't even need to snack any more. I hope it will stay that way.

Well, girls, I finally have settled into the way that works for me and I was rewarded this morning with what I think is my lowest weight in maybe 2 or even 3 yrs. I am down to 229.2 breaking out of the 230s. My FBS was 138 which is the lowest in a maybe 2 or 3 yrs. I am very happy with my progress and will continue eating the way I do.

I will not be doing WW after my subscription runs out although I'm still using the website for now. I've been comparing point counts with calorie counts and have decided that I like the accuracy of calorie counting better. So will be moving in that direction. I do not set a goal of how many calories that I will eat. I am back to eating the way I ate every time I was thin and maintained being thin. I am counting the calories as I eat a combo of Intermittent Fasting and Intuitive Eating. I have no hard fast rules except that I DO NOT EAT UNLESS I am what is called "Stomach" hungry. I'm having to relearn that one, but I am doing it. I usually do not want breakfast. Livestrong.com had a great article by a weight trainer that shared how she does IF and in the article... she ate the same way I did as a kid. I know that I a like to eat in the evening, so I schedule my eating time to be around 1 or 2 depending on activity schedule that day (whether going to doctor, shopping, etc). We don't eat out much any more. However, whether out or at home, I eat exactly what I am hungry for and enjoy it eating only as much as it takes to satisfy me. Since I don't like the "stuffed" feeling, I'm finding that I don't overeat. Besides, I know that if I want more later that I can have it again when I am hungry.

DH ate this way when we first married so we both are doing this together. Yesterday, he wanted a sandwich and I wanted a baked potato with veggies. So he ate what he wanted and I ate what I wanted and we both were satisfied. The way I do the calorie counting is... instead of having a set amount of calories that I'm allowed, I count the amount of calories that I actually use. I have found that some days I eat around 1200 calories and I have eaten as much as around 1700 calories. My doctor originally told me to go on an 1800 calorie diet. So far, I haven't gone over 1700. And I'm not even dieting, I'm just eating the way that is "natural/normal" for me.

I am doing my very own experiment. Since I've heard of people doing carb/calorie cycling to lose weight and I see this kind of happening with me, I decided to keep up with the counting the way I'm doing it and just see if maybe that if eating ONLY when you are hungry if you would automatically eat less some days and more others. I remember when I had child care in my home that I had a little boy who would not eat unless he was hungry. His mother and I were concerned for a while until we learned that if Joel ate good for me during the day, he wasn't hungry to eat good for her at night. However, if he wasn't hungry during the day with me, he would eat good for her at home. He ate Intuitively.

Babies eat this way most of the time. The cry when they are hungry. We feed them and most babies when they are satisfied will not eat any more until they are hungry again. I had a little baby girl that cried all the time. We thought she wasn't getting satisfied when we fed her. When taken to the doctor, he told her mother "She doesn't know when she is hungry so you are over feeding her". He had us put her on a schedule and she became a happy baby. I think we have lost the ability to KNOW WHEN we are really hungry. JMO But it is working for me and I think it is because that is the way I ALWAYS ate when I was thin.

I just thought I would share with y'all my experience, by no means am I telling anyone else what to do.

I won't change my ticker until Sunday which is my WI day.

Y'all have a nice weekend and I can't believe we are still having so much snowy weather. So all of you who still have the stuff stay safe and warm.

sweetenuf
02-07-2014, 02:59 PM
I had my week 3 wi on wednesday -2lbs!
15 lbs gone for good!!

pattygirl63
02-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I had my week 3 wi on wednesday -2lbs!
15 lbs gone for good!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! on 2 more lbs gone. :carrot:

Wannabehealthy
02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I changed my Avatar and signature. It's still ME!

Congratulations Sweetenuf! Good job!

Trish, I think your WOE is what I call "normal eating." It is the way nature intended. The purpose of eating is to give your body the fuel to do it's job. Your body requires different types of fuel in different amounts.

With a car, the fuel gauge tells you when you need fuel. If you don't get that fuel your can won't run. If you put in too much fuel, it will spill out. Sometimes you get inferior fuel. Although your car might still run, it runs poorly and can break down. It needs "exercise" too. If you put the car in the garage and never drive it, it will deteriorate. When you finally go to drive it, all sorts of things will go wrong. It needs to run regularly.

How's that analogy? LOL

People who do not have a weight problem eat when they are hungry and stop when they're satisfied. And they don't eat something they don't like. They don't have to think about it, it's just natural for them. If they overeat at a meal, they usually aren't hungry at the next mealtime and don't eat.

So, although you were not asking for anyone's approval, you have mine. This is an eating plan that would fit into everyone's preferences, be it calorie counting, low carb, low fat, IE, IF, and everyone should be able to lose on such a plan.

I have always felt that WW was another form of calorie counting. When I was in the hospital recovering from heart surgery and also being diagnosed as diabetic, they put me on an 1800 calorie diet and I lost 25 lbs on that. Being in the hospital, there was no option to snack. I continued that diet for a while after I came home, but eventually got side tracked. I did not regain, but I also have not lost more. For the most part, I lose at 1500 calories per day. I know that since I don't weight and measure my food, I could be counting higher or lower on calories, but I'm in the ball park.

It is working for you, and that's what's important!

pattygirl63
02-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Carol Sue Your Avatar says "Spring hurry up and get here" to me. LOL Also I loved the analogy. A perfect example. :)

I saw something about this on Facebook so I decided to research it. It being on a diabetic site made me decide to share it with y'all. DH and I are going to give it a shot and see if it works. It is food and can't hurt. Also since I love okra any way, I will be adding okra to my list of foods to eat. I buy a frozen gumbo but will be looking for a recipe to make it on my own.

http://www.diabitieslife.com/diabetes/diabetes-diet/food/curing-diabetes-with-okra.htms

I'm not sure WW is really for me. I've been comparing my daily point with my calories eaten each day. They don't come together right. I'm finding that when I'm eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day that I am going way over my daily points and using a lot more of my weekly allowed each day. Example, I've only had 674 calories today, but according to the WW calculations I've had 23 pts and I'm only allow 27 a day. If I use 7 of my extra weekly pts each day, I will end up going way over on WW. And if I eat only the 27 + 7 a day, I will be under 1200 calories which they say isn't good to do. So while I will use the site until my subscription is up, I think "for me" counting the calories is the best way. I'm in this to lose weight and be healthy, not to support WW. I'm not putting it down as it helps a lot of people, but I'm not one of them.

love2b150
02-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Ladies, you have been busy ... glad you are doing well for the most part and working out the kinks to find which eating plans/ways of eating work for you. As is always mentioned here on 3FC not every plan works for everyone and even with modifications what works for one may not work for the other. I have count calories no matter how I eat or what plan I choose. I have always liked calorie counting. What I find with low carbing is that my calories are usually low and I am not hungry. Like you said Trish with the WW points it just doesn't add up. Now if I eat what isn't good for me (things that will cause a spike in my bs) then my calories are where they need to be.

Madeleine, the only time I really have issues with snacking is at work. When I get home I can better control it but there I always want something and have a few times caved into the temptation. Today I want chocolate but the only thing I have is dark bitter chocolate so ... no chocolate for me :barf:

Carol Suehope your cold goes away soon :hug: and way to go on hip hop abs, I am afraid to try it :) it just seems so fast and I don't do fast :)

sweetenuf, good job on your weight loss 15lbs GONE :high:

Trish, good job on your new low and on the bs number :high:

I can't get below my 169-170 weight. I did see 168 that's what my ticker states but I'm gonna have to try something new to get there and go lower.

Wannabehealthy
02-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Rennie, I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this Hip Hop Abs, but if not, it was only $20 + shipping and I have wasted way more than that on other things. If not I will pass it on to my DIL. I will modify it a bit, I'm sure, going a little slower, not lifting my leg as high, etc. I can do a little bit at a time and work my way up on intensity. I bought a Walk Away The Pounds DVD and it is boring to me. Too repititious. I need something more exciting. LOL

Trish - One time I asked our leader how many calories equal 26 points and she said "Don't worry about calories, just follow the program." I didn't like her. They don't want you to count calories, they want you to need them and continue paying. I did like the pamphlets they passed out at the meeting. They had good recipes and pointers in them. But they weren't worth $43 per month. I know they have a lot of that stuff online, too. I think after your time runs out you will still be able to sign in for some things even though you are not still paying.

For the most part, if you are eating when you are truly hungry and stopping when satisfied, your calorie count should be in the ball park. I think you're doing good. If your weight loss starts to slow down, look over what you've been eating and see if you can see something you can change. And drink lots of water. Water does help with fat burning.

My cold is improving little by little. I feel very good when I get up in the morning, but it gets worse as the day goes on. I am free to take a little nap during the day if necessary, and if I'm tired, I go to bed early. I never had anything this bad or lasting this long before. Guess I'm really getting old. But every day I'm still here is a gift, and I want to make the most of it.

:wave: Hi to Sweetenuf, Mad, Ruth, Bonnie and all others who might be lurking!

Ruthxxx
02-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Not really lurking - just a tad embarrassed about being so off program. I must confess carbs have done a number on me - the ticker is really lying and I've been remiss in taking my meds regularly and testing my blood. Part of this is being too darned busy and not making myself a priority.

That ends now!

As of today, I will plan my day's food and STICK to the plan. Tonight I have a Delta Family Dinner (DFD) at Heather's house. (That's a Sunday dinner with four widowed or divorced women and the assorted kids. We share the meal prep and plan on leftovers.) This month, I'm on dessert, alas! I will make a rhubarb/strawberry crisp and make mine separately with Splenda.

February to April is a really busy time for me with accounting and perhaps this will help me get through it. I may bore you to death with posting menus but I just have to do it. Three more pounds and I'll be back at the dreaded 200!

I am about to kill my ticker and resurrect it when it stops lying!

Wannabehealthy
02-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Oh, Ruth, I took my lying ticker down a while back. I too have been hovering in the low 200 range and can't get back. I am blaming my carbs on my darn cold....I want comfort food, but truly, it's just that I love my carbs.

You won't bore us with your menus. We may get some pointers and it might help keep us in line, too. So bring it on!

I'm making Chicken Caccatore for dinner tonight and hoping I can pass up whatever starch I make for my husband.

pattygirl63
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Oh, Ruthie,:hug: please don't stay away. We all go through what you are feeling from time to time. We need each other. And feel free to share your menus. Like Carol Sue said, we might get some good ideas from you. For example, I've always wanted to try rhubarb, but I'm afraid I won't like it. Welcome back, Ruthie.

Carol Sue My sister and her DH goes to WW, but I think his company pays for them to go. I've often thought that WW really doesn't want you to lose weight too fast so you have to keep paying them. A few yrs ago they had a perfect program that was working great for everyone and then they changed it to something new and a lot of people refused to go to the new plan. I did great on the old plan, but never could get any where much with the new one. I could go back to it, but now that the products have to put all the info on the labels, it is just so much easier to count the calories. You are right about when I stall that I will have to figure out why. I already know why I weigh more on weekends and I'm going to have to work on that one. I've got to figure out how to get more water in on those days. I get the fiber, but as we know if we don't drink the water then it just lays in our tummy.

I ended this week (Sunday being my WI day) with a weight of 230.2 lbs. till a loss just not the 229.2 I saw Friday. I think since I'm not going to be doing counting calories with IE that I will make Friday my new WI day since I don't drink as much water/liquid as I do during the week because I don't want to have to run to the bathroom at the store and at church. This just seems to slow my system down so that things don't move as much as they do other days, if you know what I mean. I'm just doing 4 days a week of formal exercise (my stationary bike for 3 miles each). I usually have one day a week when I do a lot of walking so I still count that as informal exercise.

Ladies, I've decided/learned one thing. We have to take this one day at a time. Do the best we can each day. Some days will be better than others and some not so good, but we ABSOLUTELY have to STOP beating ourselves up when we have bad days or moments. When we get down on ourselves, we set ourselves up to fail and then we begin to believe we are failures when we are not. We absolutely must realize that we are in this for the long haul... for life. We are in the process of changing habits/lifestyle so we can control our blood sugar and lose weight. WE CAN DO THIS!!! HOWEVER, IT IS NOT going to happen over night. WE MUST LEARN TO BE KINDER TO OURSELVES. We need to treat ourselves like we would treat our best friend.

That's my pep talk for today. LOL For y'all and for me. I need to remember these things myself.

Have a nice Sunday evening.

pattygirl63
02-11-2014, 02:13 PM
I probably should take my ticker down myself. My weight has jumped up. However, I heard something this morning on tv that makes me wonder if the ibuprofen I take is one of my big problems. They are doing research on meds like Advil etc because they think that NSAIDS (?sp) like ibuprofen may be bad for the heart because it causes fluid retention. Isn't that interesting? The doc I saw who was talking about this said people shouldn't run out and buy Alieve thinking it is better because they really don't know that either. However at this time, they do seem to think it is better to use it instead of NSAIDS (sorry not sure of the spelling) etc.

I have taken this medicine for my back and neck. Took it big time when I was down with my knee. I think that is about the time I started retaining so much fluid and sometime have a difficult time getting the fluid down even though I take a mild fluid pill. I plan to experiment with it on my own just to see if it makes a difference.

Still hanging into calorie counting and exercising. Not going to give up. I am determined to do this. Hoping that by giving up the ibuprofen will help. I don't take that everyday so the days I lose just may be the days I don't take them. I remember Drs. Hellers who wrote the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet books had a chapter where they talked about meds that interfere with weight loss. I guess they were right. I always did low carb because it naturally kept the fluid off, but suddenly it didn't do that any more. I'm actually glad to know that it might be the ibuprofen because that means that the low carb eating didn't fail me and I didn't fail on it. The ibuprofen was the culprit. Means that I just might be able to do low carb after all. I will have to see. I'm also wondering if those meds makes you hungry as I find myself hungrier lately. A real chore to keep from going on a binge.

We are getting loads of snow and are suppose to get it through Thursday morning so we are not going any where. A good day for cold weather foods such as chili. Got it in the crock pot and probably will be the last time this year that I'll make it.

Y'all have a nice day and stay warm and safe.

Wannabehealthy
02-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Trish, I used to take Ibuprofen all the time for pain. After I started having my heart problems they told me in the hospital that I shouldn't take it. I asked the cardiologist about it and he said if I take it once in a while that's not a problem but he would feel differently if I took it on a daily basis, but he never said why. I have heard that it can cause heart attacks and strokes. I don't get a lot of pain anymore so I really don't need to take much. I never heard of it causing fluid retention or weight gain. Did you discuss the fluid retention with your doctor? I don't think I ever have fluid retention. One of the first questions they ask me when I go to the cardiologist is if I ever have any swelling in the feet or legs, which I don't. I don't know what they expect people to do for pain. Everything is bad for you. They are always saying things about Tylenol and giving warnings for overdosing.

I started back exercising today. I walked on the treadmill for 20 min. Did the elliptical for 10 min. Worked out with weights for 15 minutes. I do the weights twice a week. I could also do upper body one day, and lower body the next.

My exercise DVD hasn't come yet. I looked at the tracking and it says it was in my town this morning, so I'm hoping it will be delivered tomorrow.

Have you ever eaten sour-dough bread? I have been reading about it and it says that it does not spike blood glucose even though it is made from white flour. It has something to do with the fermentation and the effect it has on gut bacteria. I was reading how to make it home-made. You have to make the starter and let it ferment before you use it. My husband would never let me do it. One time his daughter wanted to make that Friendship Cake that you let sit on the counter for days, mixing it and adding ingredients. He told her it was going to kill her and made her throw it away. LOL

Hope you do OK with your snow that's coming. We're getting it too in the next few days, but we're used to it up here.

pattygirl63
02-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Carol Sue Yes, my doc checks for the fluid each time I go and he has me on a mild fluid pill. My second hubby took a lot of ibuprofen because in those days they told people to stop taking so much Tylenol. He had CHF.

My oldest son used to make sour dough bread. I've never made it. I didn't know it was so good for us. Interesting info.

I signed into MFP again and got my calorie count and tracked my calories and exercise there today. I did pretty good. I ended up eating 3 good meals today and feel pretty good. Satisfied and no hunger. Just hope I can keep this up.

We are staying home during the winter storm. Looks like we are stuck at home until at least Friday. I knew it was coming so have plenty of food and staying warm and hope everyone else will to.

Wannabehealthy
02-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Trish, I just read on another board that SC is supposed to get a foot of snow! I didn't realize it was that much! That's more than we've had at one time for a couple years. Hope you don't have power outages!

Wannabehealthy
02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Rennie, I don't know if you are getting the big storm, too, but I hope both you and Trish are safe.

I signed up for emails from WebMD and this was in my inbox this morning and thought you guys might want to read it. It's very scary what can happen to you with uncontrolled blood sugar.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/features/managing-diabetes-with-exercise?ecd=wnl_dia_021114&ctr=wnl-dia-021114_ld-stry&mb=HpSunk8ip3Uc5kSGWbvGfeHnVev1imbC%40yNm4PCC9sE%3 d

Ruthxxx
02-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Good morning.

Well, being careful has me down to 192.8 this morning. I even cooked and ate fish - mahi mahi - during the week and discovered that I still don't like it! I've been doing breakfast smoothies in my bullet and must admit I really do not like them. This morning I indulged in a Hot Cross Bun which seem to be available all the time now instead of just in Lent. I have some semi-oriental soup planned for lunch and chicken breast thawing for dinner. Not sure what I'll cook - maybe that mayo and crumbs thing but made with my own mayo, not that Miracle Whip stuff!

Looks like the Southerners are in for a bad storm. Stay safe and warm, Sweeties.

love2b150
02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks Carol Sue we got the snow it took me 6 hours to get home, smh. My daughter, husband, Mom and my Auntie were quite worried, but I'm safe :)

Wannabehealthy
02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Ruth, congratulations on your loss. Do you mean that you don't like fish at all, or just the mahi mahi? I love fish of all kinds. I think I tried mahi mahi one time on a seafood buffet but I don't remember what it tasted like, which means it didn't impress me either way. My favorite is grouper. It is not very abundant around here. I have had it twice, and both times it was on the seafood buffet, but not since. My son said they had grouper sandwiches when on vacation somewhere last year. I don't cook much fish as home because the only fish my husband likes is fried cod or whitefish, but I order it at a restaurant every chance I get.

I have made the mayo and crumb chicken but I use plain greek yogurt instead of mayo. My favorite chicken is roasted, but we also like a recipe I make with a can of mushroom soup over it baked in a casserole. I put home fried potatoes on top for DH. It can also be cream of chicken or cream of celery soup. I like to make things that I can put on to cook and don't have to watch. Last night I made chicken cacciatore. The sauce was so good I could have put it in a cup and drank it.

Wannabehealthy
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I forgot to mention that my exercise dvds came yesterday. I am very pleased with them for the money I paid. There are 4 DVDs, each having 2 or 3 routines on them. It seems that it's primarily just dancing, but it's the movement of the torso that targets the abs. I cannot do crunches or any other floor exercises. Once I get down on the floor it requires a crane to get me back up. I am going to watch them on my computer to see what they are like, and will probably try them out this evening. We will not be going out anywhere because we also got some snow, just not anywhere near what they got in the south and up the coast.

Ruthxxx
02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
No exercise is happening here except for snow shoveling. I don't know if we've broken the record for snowfall but what came down is still here. Usually in January or February we get a warmish spell and it melts down a bit. Right now there is at least 20" of it on top of the table on the back deck.

Chicken was good last night and really simple to make. I'll definitely do that again. Indulged in a hot cross bun again this morning although my weight is up a pound - maybe salt? I roasted brussels and may have over-seasoned them. Anyhow, it's only a pound and could be gone by tomorrow.

I am glad to see I have no "foodie" events happening in the next two weeks so I can eat "clean".

Worrying a little about the Southern chicks in this snow. Be safe and warm and try to not drive! :hug:

pattygirl63
02-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Rennie I saw the congested highways in PA and prayed you and Carol Sue were safe and warm. Sorry it took you so long to get home, but so thankful you made it home and are safe. Hope y'all don't have any outages.

It is still snowing here. So far know rain or sleet. As much as I love the snow, I don't think I would want to live where we would have it for long periods of time are as often as those of you in the north. I am ready for this to be over already. I live just south of Charlotte, N.C. and I have been wondering how Bonnie is doing with all of this. While we have gotten snow, (DGS just called from Winthrop and said we did get some sleet last night and it is still snowing there), south of us down around where Bonnie lives they have the mixture. I don't know where she lives, but according to Gov. Haley's website a lot of counties down south have experienced over 300k outages and have had to open up 38 more shelter besides whatever they had yesterday. I haven't heard of any fatalities in SC, but they've had 3 in NC. We are fine so far just staying inside enjoying looking at it and praying for everyone's safety.

Will be back later.

pattygirl63
02-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Rennie I don't know why I was thinking you lived in PA. I just realized you live in northern part of NC, right? Y'all are still getting a lot of what we have had today and the past few days. I was watching your governor this morning as he spoke about y'all getting all this and asking y'all to stay in and safe. I pray all goes well where you are. If the RDU stands for Raliegh/Duke area, you must live near where DH cousin lives in Cary.

Carol Sue I see y'all are about to get what we had and what Rennie is getting. My oldest son is on his way with a truck load to Carlisle. Then he hopes to be heading home in Mass. for the weekend to be with his sweetheart. Looks like he will be following it up the coast. I pray for the safety of all of you. As for cooking, I too have gotten to where if I can't cook it within 15 minutes or in the crockpot, I probably will not make it. Things I used to cook from scratch, I try to find easier ways to make them. Since DH and I are eating mostly Intuitively, I'm not cooking a whole lot. I made a beautiful chicken noodle soup yesterday with 1 chicken tender and left over linguine added to cream of chicken soup made mostly with water and just a Tbls of cream for flavor and it was delicious. I actually made it because DH and mentioned it. He didn't want it. Today, he wanted a sandwich and I didn't so he made his lunch and I made mine. So far it is working because, I'm just not that hungry especially if I have to cook it.

I am going to check into the sourdough bread you mentioned. DS wants to make it again so maybe I can find a recipe that we both can start one and make it. I use Nature's Own double fiber right now, but if sourdough is better for my bs and I can make it, I will do that. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ruth So glad your weight is coming back down. It is so much easier when you are in control of what and when you eat. Stay warm and stay in touch with us.

Bonnie If you still have electricity etc and can, check in and let us know you are okay and safe.

We are watching the Olympics while having to stay in. I love the figure skating and the women's hockey. USA/Canadian hockey is always fun to watch.

Later!!

fatmad
02-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi gang: a wicked busy week has kept me from checking in regularly. It can be hard to stay on plan, but have been active. I am liking the fitbit for tracking my activity. I have yet to get 10000 steps in a day, but am getting closer.
I haven't always eaten on plan as I said, but have managed not to overeat. So am happy with myself this week.

love2b150
02-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks Trish for your prayers :hug: I prayed all the way home. RDU = Raleigh, Durham area and I work in Cary. I didn't dare go out today and then we had more snow today and rain. Temperatures are supposed to drop below freezing which will make for a horrible commute in the morning. My son cleaned off the car and we made a tread to pull out in the morning but I won't leave until after the sun comes up. My husband got stuck on the highway way this afternoon luckily some people stopped to push him out so he made it to work.

Ruth, good job on the weigh in :)

Carol Sue, No power outages for us thank goodness :) LOL on drinking your sauce :D. I like to make things I can put in the oven also :) I make tilapia, flounder, rock fish, whiting in the oven. I don't like the smell of fried fish in the house. My boys have had baked fish so much when we go some place that has fried fish they won't eat it but my daughter will. Glad to hear your DVD's came. Are all of the moves on the DVD's fast? That's what made me not want to try it. :D

Madeleine good for you on getting those steps in :high: and just doing the best you can. That's all we can do :)

I made some baked apples last night using generic Splenda and cinnamon and my fbs was 136 this morning. It hasn't been that high in awhile, smh. I had an off point eating day today also, dry frosted flakes and cheddar biscuit and eating the rest of my apples. I ate baked barbecue chicken and some turnip greens also. So it may balance out. I'm attempting to get the rest of my water in :crossed:

Wannabehealthy
02-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Trish, glad to see you have checked-in and that you did not lose power. That is such a major issue with snow storms. I forgot that Bonnie was from that area also. I hope she is OK.

I am in the SW part of PA. We got snow, but we got about 4 inches. The bad part of the storm went into central and eastern PA and missed us. We used to get at least one big snowstorm every winter, about 1-2 feet or more, but we haven't had that for several years. Since we are in an area that is used to snow, we are prepared. It might be bad while it starts snowing, but they are out with snow plows and trucks within an hour and it's not long before the roads are easily passable. We put snow tires on our car, all 4 wheels. And now since we're retired, we don't have anywhere we have to be.

Rennie, the moves are mostly fast on this DVD. He has several other people in the video with him and one young lady is supposedly doing a modified version that you can follow. What a laugh! I need to modify HER version. I am good at modifying. Not lifting my leg as high, not raising my arms as high, not sidestepping as far, etc. If it gets too much for me I will just march in place until I can get back to it again. We learned to do that years ago when I went to an exercise class. But the thing I like about it is it is like dancing, not like exercising. The music is very upbeat and puts you in a good mood. I will do as much of it as I can and finish off with my treadmill and elliptical that I am used to. I imagine that I will be able to do a little more each time and work my way up. I do not expect to jump right in and do the whole workout.

I am down 2 lbs this week. I am working on limiting portions so as not to get stuffed, not eating between meals and not eating after dinner. Just being a little more thoughtful about what I'm putting in my mouth. It's so easy to pick something up and eat it, and I think to myself "Do I really want this?" It's the same two pounds I have lost over and over again, but I'm happy that the scale has taken a downward trend.

Ruthxxx
02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Glad to "see" the southern chickies but where is our Bonnie? We got the remains of the PA snow here overnight and the school buses are canceled. That allowed me to cancel my dental appointment in Kingston. I am not driving if the professional drivers won't! The snow continues to fall into tomorrow and Sunday so I'll be housebound if Richard waits until it stops to plough me out!

I've discovered some things that I must not buy since I can't resist them. Melba toast has been on the list for years but those darned Hot Cross Buns have sneaked in somehow. I just had two for breakfast and they are around 300 cals each. The remains of the package will be enjoyed by the birds who are really flocking to my feeders.

Weight blipped back to 195 overnight, probably from a rather salty Chinese type soup and fried calamari for supper. I should know better.

For my Valentine's supper tonight, I have a lobster tail thawing and will probably do it with sugar snap peas and maybe some quinoa. Lunch today will be water and the memory of two Hot Cross Buns.

Stay safe and warm if you are in this Snowmageddon!

pattygirl63
02-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Ruthie I understand about foods that I don't bring into the house. I'm reading a book on Intuitive Eating and one of the things they say to do is to bring those things in the house and they will lose their power. It is one of the IE things that I disagree with at least for me. I love honey bungs and craved them when I was pregnant. Money was scarce so my aunt bought them for me to have one a day. I saw them in the bakery at Walmart and someone got smart and made small ones individually wrapped. I stood there and even picked up a box of them and decided NOT to trust it. It is like when I was in Overeater's Anonymous someone in our group decided that we could take the goodies we bought for our kiddos and freeze them so we couldn't eat them. Really, is there anything we can do other than not bring them in the house to stay out of it when we want it? We found we could just microwave them to thaw or dunk in coffee. So for me, it is best that I just don't bring some things in the house because I know that I am setting myself up to fall off the wagon if I do.

I think I'm going to eat a little more low carb. I am really craving protein right now. I've got a small roast cooking for today. I told DH last night that I am hungry for some real food. Of course, I also read in this book that teaches you to eat intuitively that once food loses it's power over you because there is no bad/good foods and all foods are allowed that those foods lose their power over you and you stop wanting them and start wanting the foods that are healthier and better for you. I sure hoe that is where I am now. I am suddenly craving some good veggies and protein. I do know if I can eat more of a low carb plan that a lot of the fluid retention will go away. Also I would kind of like to see if low carbing works better now that I'm not taking any NSAIDs.

Well not much is going on in our town. DH heard that Rock Hill only has like 2 trucks to take care of the main roads here in town. Hairdresser put on FB that one of the main roads is closed off. They have still asked people not to get on the road unless absolutely necessary. I think we are okay until Sunday. If we have church, we can go to Walmart before coming home as it is just a couple blocks from the church.

Carol Sue So glad you don't get much of the snow etc. I saw on the news that somewhere in PA they had a big pile up etc. I was so glad to hear from my son. I missed his call, but he did leave a message that he is okay. He should be on his way home in Hyanis (sp), Mass. His girlfriend wants to move to FL. I figure you worry about them wherever they live. With him being a truck driver, it sure keeps me praying for his safety wherever he is.

No plans for Valentine's Day. Just glad we are safe and together.

Still have over 220k people without electricity as of 8 am according the our governor's report on FB. Sure hope Bonnie and her family are ok.

Wannabehealthy
02-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Trish, I think if you are going to overeat on something, keep it out of the house. Many people say they have snacks in the house for the kids, but the kids really don't need junk food either. It just teaches them bad habits that will come back to bite them when they become adults. When I was growing up, we only had that for an occasional treat. We ate our meals and nothing else. My mother baked a cake if it was someone's birthday. She never bought ice cream, but occasionally we could go to the corner store and each get an ice cream cone, not a gallon of ice cream we could just keep eating and eating.

It's good that you are craving good protein and vegetables. That is your body telling you that it wants nutrition. You know you don't really want those honey buns!!! If you stay away from sweets for a while, eventually you won't want them because they will taste sickening sweet. I can eat a piece of cake, but if I eat the icing it is too sweet and I can't stand it.

I bought a loaf of sourdough bread. I'm not sure if I like it or not. My store had it in the bakery. I bought a round loaf about 10 inches across. They also had a smaller loaf, around 5 inches across. These were both baked in the bakery. The other loaf they had was brought in from an outside vendor. I like that it is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, but it does have that strange sour taste that I'm not sure I like. If I would find out for SURE that it doesn't spike blood sugar then I would definately switch to that, but I am not sure about it. They can say anything on the internet.

I think you can eat low carb and still count calories. I do not actually eat low carb, but I try to avoid them when I can and keep them to a minimum. My mind wants to find a way to include them and still keep my blood sugar down, but in my heart I know that isn't going to happen and that's that.

fatmad
02-14-2014, 11:44 PM
well, according to my fitbit, today I finally managed 10000 steps in a day. I have been steadily getting a bit more active. Still no change in weight, but not feeling too bad, in spite of a bad cold.

Wannabehealthy
02-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Mad, have you used the "sleep analysis" feature of your Fitbit? I am not interested in tracking my exercise, but I like the sound of the sleep analysis since I have had sleep problems for so long.

Congrats on reaching 10,000 steps! It would take me a week to reach that.

pattygirl63
02-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Mad It's always good to hear from you when you can check in. Glad the fitbit is working and you were able to reach the 10,000 step goal.

Ruthie How was the lobster dinner? I tried lobster one time at Red Lobster and didn't like it. My now deceased hubby who I was with at the time told me it was because their lobster isn't fresh. He said if I ever ate fresh lobster that I would fall in love it. Even present Hubby tells me the same and I'm sure if I was able to get it cooked right and fresher it must be true because as many of you know dear Tony is such a picky eater and he loves it and will order whenever he can get it.

Carol Sue I agree with you 100% about the junk food in the house. While we always had sweets because Mama was a chocoholic, there were a lot of things we only got only occasionally. Daddy loved ice cream, but he also loved chips etc. I didn't know until recently that he also was a chocoholic when he was a kid growing up, but I guess he grew out of it some after we kids came along. I only see him eat the salty stuff. I tended to eat the salty things like him and didn't care about sweets much at all. I've kind of learned that if I am craving sweets, you can bet that my bs is up.

Well, I am sold on low or at least lower carb. We watched a documentary on Nigeria yesterday. There was a really large woman showing the commentary around her town. They had just left a wedding they had attended for her tribe. The bride was heavy. The tour person took the lady commentary of the show to the market. She said, "When I was young, my mother took me to a fat room and they fed me to get me fat to prepare me to get a husband". She said she good so sick once that she couldn't hold the food and lost it. She was beat and sent back to continue eating to fatten her up. When asked what she had to eat she named fruit and some other foods and then she said "Carbohydrates loads and loads of carbohydrates". That sold me on the idea that I've got to stop eating so many carbs.

Carol Sue I have a calorie/carb counter and it says in the book that if you are going to low carb to lose weight that you still should count calories.

I set up MFP for low carb. I really don't know how to set up the percentage of fat because I don't really want to count fat any way. I set up my plan for today to fit the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet where I only eat starch carbs once a day at my main meal. I've got 3 meals and a couple of snacks and I barely got 1200 calories if I even got that many. Carbs are low but I don't remember what they were.

Any way, for me it has to be less carbs. Just interesting about the Nigerian women forced to eat loads of carbs to gain weight. But I think I needed to hear it.

Had a 4.1 earthquake last night at Edgefield, SC. DH has felt them before even here, but my first. Interesting, but I sure hope we never have one like others have other places. Very interesting 2014 beginning. That is southwest of me and I'm not sure where Bonnie lives. I sure pray she is ok.

Have a good weekend.

pattygirl63
02-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Had a great lower carb day. Changed my calories to 1440 still less than what MFP recommended. I tried to lower my percentage of carbs and it showed for that calorie count it comes to 79 g. I used only 70 g. So will see how that goes. Feels so good to eat and not feel stuffed, but to I actually feel light tonight and satisfied. Didn't have any time today when I was too hungry.
I'm very pleased.

fatmad
02-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Hey Trish: yes, I have used the sleep analyzer. But you have to wear the bracelet to bed, and that can be irritating. The advantage is that, unlike a pedometer, if you are wearing it all day, you don't have to remember to put it on, its just there.
One thing, I don't know if anyone else has this problem. After a day or (and this happens with watches too, which I don't wear much) it feels like my wrist is heavy. I feel like I am carrying a weight around. SO I have been taking it off at night. And I switch which wrist I wear it on every day.
My idea is that I check in when I get home from work and get on the treadmill for a bit to get to my 10000 steps. I am switching tonight onto my off call and in clinic week, so a more regular schedule, and I want to push myself to that 10000 every day this week.
Have a lovely Sunday friends

Wannabehealthy
02-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Mad, I was the one who asked about the sleep anyalysis. Since I have become accustomed to wearing a C-pap mask to bed for 5 years I could probably get used to having the bracelet on.

Trish - I used to visit another forum about Diabetes and they recommend low carb, high fat. They eat practically no carb at all and their plan is very hard to conform to, but they have very good blood sugar and many have quit taking their meds. Their diet was too rigid for me. I don't think the fats they were promoting were actually a lot of saturated fat. There are a lot of fats that are very healthy.

Keep in mind when you enter your food into MFP, vegetables show up as carbs, as that's what they are, but they are complex carbs and that's where the fiber comes in, so if you can enter your foods without the vegetables first, you will get a true carb reading. Then you can enter the veggies and get your total carb count. It's just the refined carbs we have to watch.

I finally did my Hip Hop Abs DVD yesterday. I did it for 13 minutes, then finished off with my treadmill and elliptical. I had a hard time following the steps but I kept moving. I modified it a bit...when he did the knee lifts in double-time I continued in single-time. Today my legs and back hurt, but I don't think I injured myself...I was just using muscles that I don't usually use. If that happens next time I will probably just take a Motrin.

I looked on Bonnie's profile and she is in Goose Creek SC. Do you know where that is? Did they get hit with the storm, too?

A couple years ago we had an earthquake here. I've lived in PA all my life and that's the first time I've experienced it. I was lying in bed watching TV and I felt the bed shake. I thought DH was playing a trick on me. He didn't feel it. They said that people who were up moving around didn't feel it but you felt it if you were sitting or lying down. There was no damage anywhere.

How's it going Ruth and Rennie? Where did all the newbies go? Come join in.

pattygirl63
02-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Carol Sue I checked Governor Haley's FB timeline as she has the schedule of when they are trying to get everyone's utilities up and running here in SC. Berkeley county is supposed to get theirs back on sometime today. So that is why we haven't heard from Bonnie. I checked where she lives and it is down not too far from Charleston, SC. I hope she and her family are doing ok. I know she suffers so with her knees. I'll be glad when we can hear from her.

Yes, Carol Sue, I noticed that my carbs are reading a little high on MFP because of the veggies that I eat. I'm just trying not to eat starchy carbs more than once a day as the Drs. Hellers taught in the Carbohydrate Diet books. Yesterday, I did remember to eat my collard greens. I will make a stir fry tonight with them included. I definitely have to keep the green veggies in my plan and they seem to keep me from needing too much of the starchy carbs.

Since I'm counting my calories, I don't really want to do Carbohydrate Addict's 100% or any other strict low carb diet like Atkins mainly because I don't want to go so low that when I do choose to eat a carby carb that it messes me up. I'm looking for more of a balance.

I read yesterday on WebMD that they compared low carb eating like Atkins and lowfat diets to see which was better for weight loss. Atkins works best for about a year, but in the long run when compared to the lowfat diet one they work about the same for weight loss. When it comes to good/bad fats, I am a firm believer that we need to eat healthier fats. However, I'm not 100% convinced that a lot of fats they consider bad these days are all that bad for you. On the other hand, I'm not sure so I go more for the good ones like olive oil and coconut oil. I've heard bad things about canola oil and other vegetable oils, but I find there are times I just have to use them. It just depends on what I'm cooking and I don't use them too often.

I remember that earthquake your talking about. Someone on FB said it happened about 4 or 5 yrs ago. I guess I was busy and I never felt it. DH felt it and his niece lived in VA at the time and talked about it on FB. He said he felt one when he was younger and lived in IN. He and his Dad were sitting in the living room and he said that it actually rattled the dishes on the shelf. My thoughts? That's enough, I don't want to experience any stronger ones thank you.

Mad It is so good to hear from you and glad thing are beginning to come together for you. I am exercising 4 days a week and I make myself do it on the designated days I've set up. I am so afraid that if I miss a day that I will stop that I make myself exercise before I can talk myself out of it.
It took me so long to get on a plan that I can live with that I am afraid to do anything to it except tweak.

Ruthie Are you staying warm?

Everyone else :wave: Check in when you can.

Have a super Sunday.

Ruthxxx
02-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Staying warm? Yes to the tune of $700 every three weeks for heating oil! This has been a record breaking winter for cold. The price is up a bit per gallon but consumption is way up. I keep the house at 70F during the day and put it down to 60 at night but still ... I must get some cold deflecting window coverings - the kitchen and back room have lots of windows and no coverings. I'm sure we lose a lot of heat that way.

My lobster tail was great! especially with snow peas and cherry tomatoes in a salad with balsamic vinegar dressing. Last night was lentil soup and some prunes - for medicinal purposes only. I really must get more fiber.

Dinner tonight will be a shrimp stir-fry with lots of veggies. I may cook up some brown rice to be eaten in controlled amounts. Breakfast is still a problem as I do NOT like smoothies anymore. I think it's because they are cold - and so am I first thing in the a.m. Being slightly anemic doesn't help, I'm sure. I may go back to Laughing Cow on crackers with some fruit.

Sure hope Bonnie gets back soon and is not cold. I have had more than enough of this winter but am trying not to crab too much since that's an old lady thing to do.

See y'all tomorrow.

love2b150
02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Ruth just read where the birds will enjoy the hot cross buns ... what a treat for them. Glad you could put them out. That's the good thing about having the kids here because I would never be able to just throw them out. I'm the one that will cut them in half and say I'll eat half to day and half tomorrow and so on. But my boys eat everything if allow :)

Carol Sue I have snacks in the house for everyone. :) The good thing about my two oldest boys is they will cook, not just snack. My oldest son decided he wanted sesame chicken the other day, he got on the computer and made it. It was very good, better than the sesame chicken we've had since we've lived here :) My ten year old will eat a plate of broccoli before she would junk food, maybe I just have special kids, idk minus my youngest boy all he wants to eat is anything quick ;) When I was growing up we sometimes had 3 cookies as a snack. My grandmother would buy ice milk, I don't even know if they still make it or not and she'd bake a cake that taste like a cross between a pound cake and bread to eat with it. But you got a rounded scoop and a square of cake (looked like cornbread) :) but we were happy. :) Sour dough bread has an after taste to me and an interesting smell. I am curious to know whether or not it has an effect on bs though. Please keep us informed :) I agree ---> My mind wants to find a way to include them and still keep my blood sugar down, but in my heart I know that isn't going to happen and that's that. Good for you on the hip hop abs :)

Madeleine good job on getting all of your steps in :high: sorry about the cold :hug: I get the heavy weight feeling with a watch after a few hours. I take it off and put it in my purse maybe because I'm not use to wearing one daily. Thanks for letting us know it's the same feeling with the fitbit because I really want one but I will know now to keep that in mind :)

Trish I agree with your husband fresh lobster is much better than what you get at Red Lobster though I thought they were fresh and the one I had there was just overcooked. We had lobster in Mexico and in the Bahamas and it was very good, cooked just right :) WOW just wow on the Nigerian lady story. That is sad :( Trish would you mind sharing your low carb meals please? :) Great job with your eating yesterday and feeling satisfied, good for you :high:

Bonnie hope all is well and you are able to check in soon :hug:

Well my bs has been rising (136 is the highest) and my weigh is finally going back down 168.4 finally back to my 2/1 weight. I am trying to keep it low carb and some days minus Valentine's day I do very well. Yesterday was good and today is good. I plan on a yellow squash omelet and a crab cake for dinner tonight. Temps outside right now it's 52 degrees and by Wednesday it's supposed to be high 60's so nice temperatures the rest of week. I hope it's the same for the rest of you, no more snow/ice/freezing rain and below freezing temps :hug:

pattygirl63
02-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Rennie I'm not very creative with the low carb meals. Usually some type of protein with veggies. Example, eggs either scrambled with stir-fry veggies or boiled eggs with some raw veggies or nuked brussel sprouts. In the evening, I will cook some chicken or lean pork chop and put a salad with it or a stir-fry. Tonight I had a small lean pork loin which I removed all the fat, browned it and added some veggies for stir-fry. I had some left over brown rice from yesterday and decided to add it which I normally would not have done, so not very low carb tonight.

Carol Sue I decided to go over to Everyday.com to see what they had for recipes. They had an article about eating very low carb and low protein but high fat to lower bs. Seems this is the way they ate before they had insulin. They aren't ready to promote it but they seem to think that a low carb diet would work. They also said that lowfat dieting is out which I find interesting because that website really pushes cutting fat way back. While I don't think I could go fat free or very low fat, I don't think I could eat 80% fat and 20% protein either. However, I've never tried it either. It makes me feel like Atkins may be a better diet, but I'm not ready to do it yet. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

Wannabehealthy
02-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Rennie - It's good that you can limit your snacks even though you have them in the house for the rest of the family. Not everyone can do that.

I decided I do not like the sourdough bread. It does have an after taste that I don't like. I didn't eat it long enough to find out if it is good for BS. What I had was from the store bakery. I might try the one that came in from an outside vendor. It might not be as strong. I am throwing the rest of the loaf away, and that is a first for me. I never throw away bread. I don't even know if the birds will eat it. There is a restaurant in town that offers sour dough bread on their sandwiches. I might try that one of these days. Maybe with the rest of the sandwich ingredients the sour taste might not be as noticeable. I only ate it with butter.

Ruth, your meals always sound appealing to me, but DH does not like seafood so it's not something I can prepare for dinner. He will eat cod and salmon, and that's it on fish for him. I used to like lobster but not so much anymore. I went to a cook-out once where they cooked fresh lobster. I didn't taste a difference from Red Lobster, though. When we go to Red Lobster I like to order an entree that has 3 different items, such as shrimp, scallops and a baked fish. I get a little taste of each. DH orders steak. LOL

Trish - I think you will find a balance with carbs. There will be a point where you can have a portion of carbs and still lose weight. Trial and error will help you find your nitch. I think the "reward meal" of having carbs at one meal only is good if you can do it. I do best if I plan for zero carbs, but have a small portion once in a while. I only lose control when it comes to bread. I also love rice, but since my husband doesn't care for it I rarely cook it.

I cut visible fat off my meat. I also am not sure if fats are as bad as they say. I use olive oil and canola oil. What did you hear bad about it? I heard it is mono fat and it's good for you. Mono fats, like those found in nuts and avacados are essential to good health, but in small amounts. They still are higher in calories. I do a lot of simmering in chicken stock in place of sauteing in oil. I don't buy corn oil, but DH uses solid Crisco for frying potatoes. I don't really care for fried foods. My mother fried everything and I think I just got tired of it.

I can say that my blood work has always been much better when I've been exercising regularly. I guess I am more concerned with health than weight loss, even though a good weight loss would improve my health. I know that.

Ruthxxx
02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
B. Small ww tortilla with 2 Laughing Cow lite and six sun dried olives in it
L. chicken salad with green onions, red pepper, celery, my own mayo plus a pile of baby spinach leaves
D. not sure yet but maybe pork tenderloin medallions, broccoli and some rice which I forgot about last night

Weight back to 194 this morning and FBGL a decent 4.6 (82.8).

pattygirl63
02-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Carol Sue Using the idea from the article about lowcarb, I changed my % on MFP. I made the carbs 20% and the protein/fat 40% each. I was close today. Fat was a little high, but the other 2 were low. I can't do the "reward meal" everyday so I've decided to us it only when we go out to eat or on special occasions. We don't eat out that often any more so it wouldn't be very often.

My 2nd hubby' Mother worked for a diet doctor when she lived in CA years ago. He was a doctor who had his patients eat a low carb diet. His rule was for them to eat lowcarb six days a week, but he allowed them to eat whatever they wanted for just one day and she said it worked. People lost weight doing that. I also remember that Dana Carpendar lowcarbed except for one meal of her choice for special occasions when she ate whatever carb she would choose in advance to eat. So while I don't want a "reward meal" on a daily basis, I figure that with the info from Dana and that diet doctor that I could allow myself to have a carb or a carby meal on occasion and still lose weight and be healthy. My carbs on all other days will be coming from lower carb vegetables like collard greens, tomatoes etc. My carb count for today was 66. Protein was 127 and fats were 21 g more than the 40%, but as far as I can understand that should not be a problem.

I do believe the balance is beginning to come together on its own.

Still 20K? outages in S.C. Sure hope Bonnie has hers or will soon. Governor had to ask people not to stop the line workers who were trying to get the outages back on as they needed to be able to do their job.

Mad, Rennie, Ruth and others :wave:

fatmad
02-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Carol Sue: sorry to get mixed up. I too use a CPAP for sleep, but do find the fitbit a drag on the wrist. I am about to get back on the treadmill, not many steps today.
It also doesn't track yoga much, so its not using my pulse.
today did well overall
B: kefir smoothie
L: leftover potroast and veggies
Snack: Kefir with special K protein cereal
Supper: Turkey and Salad with blue cheese dressing

Long office days all week. Blah

Mom2TCS
02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone! While I don't "want" to be here (said in the nicest way possible LOL), I'd like to join your little group for additional knowledge and motivation. :-) My fasting BS and A1c have been above normal but holding, but then I had 12 months of not going in for routine appointments and letting the diet slide, etc. When I finally scheduled an appointment last month to be a mature adult again, both my fasting and A1c were up a bit. I had been hovering in the upper 6's with the A1c, but last month I hit 7.0 and my fasting was up to 130. :-( We discussed a statin and decided to go ahead and start that, but when it came to a diabetic med, he offered 2 choices - start it now, or give me 2 months to see what I could do on my own, saying my ability to lose weight and get myself in check was much more important than any med he could offer (I'm sure that was just the pep talk, as I know full well how diabetes can progress). I opted to try it on my own, so I have until April 1st to lose some weight and control the diet. We've had similar conversations before (minus the comment of what I could do on my own being the most important), but I was never in the mindset to put myself first and do it. This time, I'm determined to do it, or admit defeat and start treating. I don't want to keep hanging in limbo.

Background on me...My mom had type 2, and her dad did also (he ended up insulin dependent), I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy with the standard testing halfway through, and after a couple of weeks of weekly testing at the endo's office, I was placed on insulin and diet for the duration. I gained 25 pounds with him, and he weighed 9 lbs 10 oz at birth three weeks early. Second pregnancy, I was tested at 10 weeks and failed the 3-hour test, and was on insulin the rest of the pregnancy (gained 10 lbs with him, he weighed 6 lbs 11 oz three weeks early). My endo had emergency bypass surgery and his office was in chaos, so my OB told me to manage my insulin myself for the last 6 months and use him for any questions. That was the most empowering feeling at a time of feeling like everything was out of my control! Third pregnancy (best surprise ever), my doctor just looked at me and said, "I don't see the point in subjecting your body to that glucose load. We know how this is going to turn out!" So it was straight to the endo and on insulin from 8 weeks to the end. Gained 7 lbs with him, he weighed 6 lbs 2 ounces and was five weeks early. My blood sugar reverted back to normal levels after each pregnancy.

So, my history pretty much spells out where I'm headed, but I'm determined to lose some weight and start walking and hopefully adding more exercises. My life is crazy with the boys and 3 part-time jobs, but I'm determined to figure out how to make this work. I used to know that diet so well, and I must say...when another life is at stake, it's so much easier to be determined and play by all the rules! I've started with MFP and tracking calories, and trying to attack this a little at a time, losing the "all-or-nothing" mentality that held me back. I'm working on calories, and in the back of my mind I'm conscious of carbs, but eventually I will need to work on putting it all together. I have a good background on the diabetes world, but I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning the "real world" knowledge you have all gained from experience.

I lost nothing the first week, but this second week I'm now down 3 lbs, so I'm hopeful this will continue and I'm on the right track. I have lurked on this forum for a long time, and you are all so kind, knowledgeable, and compassionate. I've loved the "feel' of this forum, so I know I'm coming to the right place. :-)

pattygirl63
02-18-2014, 07:18 PM
I got this info on low carb veggies and fruits and thought I would share it for those of us who eat low/lower carb. I got it from dLife.com. It is so long that I'll post the lowcarb veggies first and then the lowcarb fruit in another. I know it really helps me and hope it will help others. Ruthie If they need to be placed somewhere else, feel free to move. I think it would be helpful to others.

Lowest Carb Veggies

#1 is ARUGULA!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of arugula contains 1g of carbs.

Arugula is rich in phytonutrients, which may reduce the risk of several kinds of cancers, including breast, stomach, and colon.

Note: To help you visualize a 50-gram portion, here are some examples: 10 grapes, 1/3 of a medium sized peach, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 35 blueberries, or 2 extra-long spears of asparagus.

#2 is CUCUMBER!

It contains 1g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced cucumber contains 2g of carbs.

The flesh of a cucumber is mostly water but also contains vitamin C and caffeic acid, both of which soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling. The skin is rich in fiber, magnesium, and potassium a combination that may help lower blood pressure.

#3 is BROCCOLI RAAB!

It contains 1g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked broccoli raab (also spelled "rabe" and also sometimes called "rapini") contains 3g of carbs.

This immune-boosting vegetable is a rich source of lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help prevent macular degeneration. It's also a great source of calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and bone-building vitamin K.

#4 is ICEBERG LETTUCE!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of shredded iceberg lettuce contains 2g of carbs.

Iceberg lettuce is an excellent source of potassium, which has been shown to lower blood pressure, and manganese, which is essential for bone health and may help regulate blood sugar levels. It is also a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.

#5 is CELERY!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. Two medium stalks of celery contains 2.5g of carbs.

Celery is an excellent source of vitamin C. It is also rich with nutrients such as phthalides, which may lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and coumarins, which may protect against some forms of cancer by preventing damage from free radicals.

#6 is WHITE MUSHROOMS!

They contain 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of raw sliced white mushrooms contains 2g of carbs.

Mushrooms are extremely dense with nutrients, including selenium, a trace mineral that may help fight cancer. They are also rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, and may help prevent cardiovascular disease.

#7 is RADISHES!

They contain 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced raw radishes contains 2g of carbs.

Radishes are an excellent source of vitamin C and calcium. Like other cruciferous veggies, they are thought to have cancer fighting properties, and have been used as medicinal food for liver disorders.

#8 is TURNIPS!

They contain 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked turnips contains 4g of carbs.

Turnips are especially high in cancer-fighting glucosinolates. Turnip greens are rich in antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, and manganese. They are also a good source of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which have anti-inflammatory properties.

#9 is ROMAINE LETTUCE!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of shredded romaine lettuce contains 1.5g of carbs.

Romaine lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, which work together to prevent the oxidization of cholesterol. It is also rich in potassium, which has been shown to lower blood pressure. This makes romaine a heart-healthy vegetable.

#10 is ASPARAGUS!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked asparagus contains 3.5g of carbs.

Asparagus is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and a wide variety of antioxidant nutrients, including vitamin C, beta-carotene, zinc, manganese, and selenium. It may help reduce the risk of heart disease and regulate blood sugar because it is rich in fiber and B vitamins, which play a key role in the metabolism of sugar and starches.

#11 is GREEN PEPPER!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced green peppers contains 2g of carbs.

Green peppers are a great source of vitamins C and A, and vitamin K, which is essential for bone health. The folic acid found in green peppers can reduce levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that damages blood vessels and increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.

#12 is OKRA!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked sliced okra contains 3.5g of carbs.

Okra contains glutathione, which is necessary for immune system support. It is also high in protein and fiber one cup provides 4 grams of fiber.

#13 is CAULIFLOWER!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of cooked cauliflower contains 5g of carbs.

Cauliflower is a potent cancer fighter. It provides special nutrient support to the body's detox, antioxidant, and inflammatory systems all of which are connected to cancer development. With 6 grams of fiber (and only 50 calories) in 2 cups of raw cauliflower, it also comes with all the benefits of fiber foods.

#14 is YELLOW PEPPER!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced yellow pepper contains 3g of carbs.

Yellow peppers are a good source of vitamins C and A, two powerful antioxidants, and vitamin K. It is rich in folic acid, which helps lower levels of homocysteine in the body. Homocysteine can contribute to heart disease, stroke, dementia, and peripheral vascular disease.

#15 is CABBAGE!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup cooked shredded cabbage contains 8.5g of carbs.

Cabbage is rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, and glucosinolates, compounds thought to have anti-cancer activity. Red and purple cabbage contain anthocyanins antioxidants known as powerful weapons against cardiovascular disease.

#16 is RED BELL PEPPER!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced red pepper contains 3g of carbs.

Red bell peppers are a good source of vitamins C and A, two powerful antioxidants, as well as vitamin K, which is necessary for bone health. They are also rich in B6 and folic acid, which may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

#17 is BROCCOLI!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of cooked chopped broccoli contains 11g of carbs.

Broccoli is a great source of a family of anti-cancer phytochemicals known as isotheocyanates, which work by neutralizing carcinogens. It is unusually high in vitamins K and A. The anti-inflammatory properties found in broccoli help to reduce cardiovascular risks. Broccoli is also good for digestive health due to its fiber content.

#18 is SPINACH!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked spinach contains 3.5g of carbs.

Spinach is one of the best sources of vitamin K, which helps build strong bones. It contains more than a dozen flavonoid compounds that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents. It is a good source of antioxidants that reduce problems related to oxidative stress, such as high blood pressure. Spinach also contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect against eye disease.

#19 is BEETS!

They contain 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced canned beets contain 12.5g of carbs.

Beets get their color from betacyanin, which may help prevent cancer. They are a good source of betanine and folate, which reduce homocysteine levels. Homocysteine can damage blood vessels and contribute to heart disease, stroke, dementia, and peripheral vascular disease.

#20 is GREEN BEANS!

They contain 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked green beans contains 5g of carbs.

Green beans are a good source of folate, a B vitamin that lowers levels of homocysteine levels, an amino acid that can increase your risk of heart attack, stroke, and blood clots. Green beans are also rich in manganese, a trace mineral essential for growth, reproduction, wound healing, peak brain function, and proper metabolism of sugars, insulin, and cholesterol.

#21 is CARROTS!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of carrots contains 6g of carbs.

Carrots are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds and the richest vegetable source of pro-vitamin A carotenes. These help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer, and promote good vision. Carrots are rich in carotenoids, antioxidants that may be beneficial to blood sugar regulation and are inversely associated with insulin resistance and high blood sugar.

#22 is KALE!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup chopped cooked kale contains 4g of carbs.

Kale is rich in antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer nutrients. It contains powerful phytochemicals, such as indoles, which have been found to protect against some forms of cancer. Kale is also loaded with calcium, iron, beta-carotene, vitamins A, C, and K, as well as lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help prevent macular degeneration.

#23 is SUGAR SNAP PEAS!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of whole raw sugar snap peas contains 1g of carbs.

Snap peas are rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc, and anti-inflammatory nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acids. This combination of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds may reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases, including diabetes.

#24 is ONIONS!

They contain 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked onion contains 11g of carbs.

Onions provide many anti-inflammatory benefits and may be protective against some forms of cancer. They are rich in sulfur compounds, which are responsible for many of their health benefits. These compounds can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which makes onions heart-healthy vegetables.

#25 is CORN!

It contains 10g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium ear of corn contains 26g of carbs. (Okay, that's not really low carb at all, but that's why it's number-25!)

Corn is a good source of folate, which helps to lower levels of homocysteine. It is also rich in beta-cryptoxanthin, which may lower the risk of developing lung cancer. In addition, corn contains the B vitamin pantothenic acid, which is necessary for carb, protein, and lipid metabolism.

pattygirl63
02-18-2014, 07:21 PM
I also like these lists because of the nutritional info about the veggies and fruits. Also where the info came from is at the end.

Lowest Carb Fruits

It's not always easy to compare apples to oranges when it comes to carbs. Fruits and vegetables come in all shapes and sizes, and while it might seem like one is a lower-carb choice than another, it may just seem that way because of size and weight differences. We leveled the playing field for you here, so you can compare apples to apples ... so to speak!

Note: To help you visualize a 50-gram portion, here are some examples: 10 grapes, 1/3 of a medium sized peach, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 35 blueberries, or 2 extra-long spears of asparagus.

#1 is CASABA MELON!

It contains 3.5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cubed casaba melon contains 5.5g of carbs.
Casaba melons are an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, which can reduce levels of homocysteine a key risk factor for heart disease.

#2 is WATERMELON!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of diced watermelon contains 5.5g of carbs.
Watermelon is packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene, which has been shown to reduce the risk of several forms of cancer. It also contains citrulline, which our body needs to create arginine, an amino acid that has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity.

#3 is STRAWBERRIES!

They contain 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced strawberries contains 6.5g of carbs.
Strawberries are loaded with phytonutrients, which makes them heart-protective, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory fruits. They contain ellagic acid, which may inhibit tumor growth. The anthocyanins found in strawberries block the pain and inflammation-causing compounds, COX-1 and COX-2.

#4 is CANTALOUPE!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of diced cantaloupe contains 6.5g of carbs.
Cantaloupe is a potassium, vitamin A, and beta-carotene heavyweight. Potassium is key for maintaining healthy blood pressure and may lower the risk of stroke. Vitamin A and beta-carotene are essential nutrients for good vision.

#5 is AVOCADO!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of avocado contains 6.5g of carbs.
Avocados are high in monosaturated fat, which actually helps lower cholesterol and has been linked to a lower risk of cancer and diabetes. They are a good source of lutein, an antioxidant that helps your eyes and skin stay healthy, and a wide range of anti-inflammatory nutrients that may help prevent arthritis. They are high in fiber one avocado has between 11 and 17 grams of fiber which makes them great for blood sugar regulation.

#6 is BLACKBERRIES!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of blackberries contains 7g of carbs.
Blackberries may inhibit metalloproteinese enzymes. When found in high amounts, these enzymes play a significant role in cancer development. Blackberries are also packed with polyphenols and anthocyanins, which can help prevent cancer and heart disease.

#7 is HONEYDEW MELON!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of diced honeydew melon contains 8g of carbs.
Honeydew melon is a high volume fruit. For its weight, it contains a high amount of water, fiber, and air. It contains few calories but makes you feel full, so it's good for weight loss. It is also an excellent source of potassium, which can lower blood pressure and the risk of heart disease and stroke.

#8 is GRAPEFRUIT!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half medium grapefruit contains 10.5g of carbs.
Grapefruits are a great source of Vitamin C, which supports the immune system. The red and pink colors of grapefruit are due to lycopene, an antioxidant that may have anti-tumor effects. In addition, they contain liminoids that also prevent tumor growth. Pectin, a soluble fiber that may slow the progress of atherosclerosis and lower cholesterol, is also found in grapefruit.

#9 is ORANGES!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium orange contains 15.5g of carbs.
Oranges contain more than 170 cancer fighting phytochemicals and 60 flavonoids. This includes liminoids, which may fight cancer and lower cholesterol. They have a variety of heart-protecting nutrients, including blood pressure-lowering potassium, cholesterol-lowering pectin, and homocysteine-lowering folate. They're also an excellent source of vitamin C.

#10 is PEACHES!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium peach contains 14.5g of carbs.
Peaches are a good source of calcium, potassium, beta-carotene, and vitamins C, K,
and A. They also contain beta-cryptoxanthin, a carotenoid with some anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.

#11 is PAPAYA!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium papaya contains 30g of carbs.
Papayas are a good source of 3 powerful antioxidants vitamins C, E, and A that prevent the oxidation of cholesterol and may prevent atherosclerosis and heart disease. They're one of the best sources of digestive enzymes that break down protein and may help reduce inflammation.

#12 is CRANBERRIES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One half cup of cranberries contain 6.5g of carbs.
Cranberries are best known for their ability to protect against urinary tract infections, due to their proanthocyanidin content. But they also contain at least 5 key categories of health-supportive phytonutrients and have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties.

#13 is PLUMS!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium plum contains 7.5g of carbs.
Plums have a high content of phenols antioxidants that help prevent oxygen-based damage to fats. These include the fats that make up a substantial portion of our brain cells, the cholesterol in our bloodstream, and our cell membranes.

#14 is RASPBERRIES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of raspberries contains 7.5g of carbs.
Raspberries are a fiber powerhouse there are 8g of fiber per cup. They're also one of the best sources of ellagic acid, an antioxidant that may inhibit tumor growth and the spread of cancer. They're rich in a group of flavonoids called anthocyanins that have unique antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.

#15 is CLEMENTINES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium clementine contains 9g of carbs.
Clementines are rich in vitamin C, which helps support the immune system. They're also a good source of calcium, a necessity for bone health, and potassium, which can help lower blood pressure.

#16 is PINEAPPLE!

It contains 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of pineapple chunks contains 11g of carbs.
Pineapples contain bromelain, a rich source of enzymes that aids digestion, speeds up wound healing, and reduces inflammation. They're also an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, which is necessary for healthy skin, bone and cartilage formation, and glucose tolerance.

#17 is NECTARINES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium nectarine contains 15g of carbs.

Nectarines are a good source of vitamin A, potassium, and beta-carotene. The peel is rich in bioflavonoids antioxidants that may help prevent cancer. They're also a good source of fiber, which is necessary for good digestive health.

#18 is BLUEBERRIES!

They contain 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of blueberries contains 11g of carbs.
Blueberries are antioxidant powerhouses that help protect against heart disease and cancer. They're packed with anthocyanides, which prevent free radical damage to cells and tissues. Blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer's and dementia. They also contain ellagic acid, which blocks metabolic pathways that can lead to cancer.

#19 is APPLES!

They contain 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium apple with skin contains 25g of carbs.
Apples are loaded with phytochemicals that give them plenty of antioxidant power. They can decrease oxidation of cell membrane fats, a risk factor for atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular problems. Polyphenols found in apples influence digestion and absorption of carbs, which means they may help regulate blood sugar levels. Studies have shown that apples may protect against lung cancer.

#20 is PEAR!

It contains 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium pear contains 27.5g of carbs.
Pears are a good source of fiber, which has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels. They're also a great source of vitamin C and copper, both of which are antioxidants that help protect against free radical damage.

#21 is KIWI FRUIT!

It contains 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium kiwi without skin contains 11g of carbs.
Kiwis contain twice the amount of vitamin C as oranges. They've been shown to protect DNA in the nucleus of cells from oxygen-related damage. Kiwis are a good source of fiber, which can help lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar. They may also lower your risk for blood clots and reduce fats in your blood, therefore helping to protect cardiovascular health.

#22 is CHERRIES!

They contain 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cherries contains 11g of carbs.
Cherries are loaded with anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and anti-cancer properties. Cancer fighting compounds include quercetin and ellagic acid, which may inhibit tumor growth. Cherries have also been shown to lower levels of uric acid in the blood, the leading cause of gout pain.

#23 is TANGERINE!

It contains 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium tangerine contains 12g of carbs.
Tangerines contain beta-cryptoxanthin, a carotenoid that may significantly lower the risk of lung cancer. The peel contains a compound called polymethoxylated flavones that has the potential to effectively lower cholesterol.

#24 is MANGO!

It contains 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup sliced mango contains 14g of carbs.
Mangoes are a high volume food, so you get a lot of food for the amount of calories you consume. They're an excellent source of potassium, vitamin A, and beta-carotene, as well as a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and calcium.

#25 is PERSIMMON!

It contains 9g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium persimmon contains 8.5g of carbs.
Persimmons are rich in vitamin A, beta-carotene, and iron. They contain compounds known as shibuol and betulinic acid, both of which have anti-cancer properties. The peel contains phytochemicals known as proanthocyanidins that may protect cells from oxidative stress due to aging.

The nutrition information in this slideshow is adapted from The George Mateljan
Foundation's "World's Healthiest Foods" website (www.whfoods.com).

pattygirl63
02-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Darcy :welcome: Glad to have you here. Sounds like you've done like many of us have done. We all have our stories of getting to that place where we know we must get our blood sugar under control. None of us has been perfect all the time, but I think I can say for all of us that we are all determined to get the job done. Sounds like you are ready to find your way and we are here to encourage you.

You may not be perfect all the time, but be patient and whatever you do Do Not give up. I feel like if I ever stop working at this and give up that I am giving up on "me" and I am not going to do that.

Good luck with your journey. I look forward to getting to know you.

fatmad
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
HI everyone:
Today's weigh in was the best in a while, and I am still tracking steps.
I did well today so far, and have a small snack planned before bed. The long days at the office are really tiring, but will get on the treadmill in a few minutes to get my steps in before settling down for the night.
Welcome to Darcy, and hellos to everyone else. I am enjoying reading your posts.

Wannabehealthy
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Welcome Darcy! I wish you well in improving your blood sugar levels without meds. I believe that exercising is extremely important, and I also think that distance is more important than intensity when it comes to blood sugar levels. You do also have to cut back on the starchy carbs, though. Please stick around and let us know how it's going. I think all of us here would love to reach that goal.

I am happy to hear that you have lurked here for a while and decided to join in based on our posts. We all have been posting here for a while and really try to help each other out. We each do research on diabetes, what works and what doesn't and share what we learn with each other. We would love to also have your input.

Mad, you are doing well keeping track of your exercise. Having a goal of 10,000 steps a day keeps you going in an effort to reach that goal. Good for you!

Trish, I LOVE the list of foods you have given us. I have never been much of a fruit eater, but I do know they contain necessary nutrients and FIBER, which is very important. I love vegetables....the only one on the list that I don't like is Okra, but I do put it in my vegetable soup because I don't think it's vegetable soup without it! My son grew sugar snap peas last year and my DIL and grandson got into the habit of going into the garden for a handful and eating them raw for a snack. Now they have me doing it. I love them that way. Corn and carrots have always been considered a no-no for weight loss because of the higher carb count, but I believe the nutrient value outweights the higher carb count. Now if I could only learn to dislike carbs with as much intensity I'd be in good shape. I think I'll pray about that one!

pattygirl63
02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
I went for blood work this morning and got a call this afternoon from the nurse. I am anemic. He is going to run some other tests to see why. I have to go for the kit for stool test tomorrow. I knew I was awfully tired lately. Just not wanting to get up in the mornings. I am sure I messed up my system by cutting back on protein. I just read on line that animal protein will build the blood faster than iron veggies. Livestrong.com says eat chicken and turkey. IE says your body will tell you what it needs. So I guess this is another place where my body is saying, low carb eating is definitely the way it wants to eat. I will listen and give it to it. I never dreamed that I would be anemic at this age. I know there could be some other serious problems, but I don't have any signs of anything but low iron.

pattygirl63
02-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Ticker is finally normal. Wish I felt good enough to enjoy it. I am glad the scale is finally going down. The fbs has been in the 150s the last few days too. So that is good news.

Eating mostly protein with salads for the past few days. Plan to eat some liver today. DH is supposed to go get my kit when he gets up. I just didn't have the energy to go do it this morning. I plan to have him pick up some chicken livers and gizzards while he is out.

I have a call in to the nurse to find out more about her call yesterday. I was so tired and shocked by her news that I forgot to ask questions. I have no idea if I have to have more blood work or if they called in prescription for iron pills or what. So hope she calls back before hubby gets up to go. I also want her to know that enemia may be caused because I didn't eat any meat for a few weeks. DH has a lot of his prescription iron pills here so I took a couple last night and one today besides the protein I am eating.

Saw governor's FB report that there are still about 7k outages in SC. Sure hope Bonnie has hers own and we will hear from her soon.

Oh that reminds me. Yesterday when I was getting blood drawn, one of the girls started talking about the thunderstorm we had night before last. She said that she had always heard that "if you hear thunder and see lightening during the summer, that it will snow in 10 days". She went on to say that it had happened before. So I came home and marked off 10 days to see if it is really true. If it is, we should have snow here around March 1st. Not really thrilled about another snow after the one we just went through. Of course, being here in the south, it doesn't mean it will be a biggie.

Y'all have a good day.

Wannabehealthy
02-20-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm anxious to hear if you get the snow, Trish! LOL Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

I'm also curious to find out what the DR says about the anemia. Hopefully you can get this under control with diet instead of taking meds. When I used to take vitamins I remember hearing that Centrum Silver didn't contain much iron because people don't need it as much as they age. Having too much iron can also be dangerous, so be careful what you do until you hear what the doctor suggests.

I got this in an email today and I loved it, as I am so into greens these days. I'm looking forward to trying some of their suggestions.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-greens?ecd=wnl_hrt_022014&ctr=wnl-hrt-022014_ld-stry&mb=HpSunk8ip3Uc5kSGWbvGfeHnVev1imbC%40yNm4PCC9sE%3 d

Wannabehealthy
02-20-2014, 04:48 PM
I aso received this quiz about fats and oils and I found out I didn't know as much as I thought. I missed 4 out of 14 and many of the others I guessed at.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/rm-quiz-fats-and-oils?ecd=wnl_hyp_022014&ctr=wnl-hyp-022014_ld-stry&mb=HpSunk8ip3Uc5kSGWbvGfeHnVev1imbC%40yNm4PCC9sE%3 d

Here's another article they posted. I love WebMD! So much information!

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/foods-heart-health-12/good-fats-oils?ecd=wnl_hyp_022014&ctr=wnl-hyp-022014_ld-stry_2&mb=HpSunk8ip3Uc5kSGWbvGfeHnVev1imbC%40yNm4PCC9sE%3 d

pattygirl63
02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Carol Sue My thought was "wives tale" too. That's why I made a note of it on the calendar to see. Thanks for the websites. I enjoyed looking at them. I made 64% on the oil test. I missed 5 of them and I was surprised at the answers. I also guessed at a few as well. I was surprised when it showed that all veggies have some oil. Makes sense but never really thought about it.

Have felt tired today. The nurse never returned my call. DH got the kit and I will do it in the morning and take it in myself. I don't expect anything bad. I think one reason I feel tired is that I'm eating mostly protein and veggies. Not as low as Atkins Induction, but so far they are around 65 to 67 grams a day. So I think that accounts for this wiped out feeling besides the anemia. Only did light exercise today. Just didn't feel up to doing the stationary bike today. I'll have to get it in tomorrow so that I'll have at least the minimum 3 days on the bike. That still works out to 4 days with my walking around in the store for almost 45 minutes yesterday.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

Mom2TCS
02-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Hi ladies! Thank you so much for the warm and inviting welcome! I'm looking forward to being part of the group and learning from all of you (and sharing what I can).

Trish, I love the lists of fruits and veggies you posted. Lots of good information! I also hope your anemia corrects itself soon and you're feeling a lot better with a lot more energy. How frustrating! You're right about the meats being one of the best sources of iron. When one of my kids was somewhat anemic (due to breastfeeding), the pediatrician advised offering meat to help boost iron stores. I think it was something like, "If it bleeds, it's a good source." LOL - I could remember that quote incorrectly, though...it's been a while.

Carol, I do remember about the starchy veggies and having to limit/watch portions with them. I think part of my problem is that the 3 times I was really strict with a diabetic diet, I was also pregnant, so the "rules" were a little different. I remember being told to always combine protein with carbs to help glucose be absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream. However, when I went a class several years later from the same dietician for diabetics, she was talking about a pasta meal with no protein component and when I questioned that, she said they just tell gestational diabetics that to make sure they are getting enough protein in their diet. I was confused, and frustrated, but that old habit continues with me regardless. I have a lot to figure out as a "normal" diabetic. I've thought about going in for a dietician consult at some point, but I'm going to try the calorie counting and losing weight and just being conscious of choices first, and then review labs, etc. and make a decision on that later.

I think I kind of neglected background on me in my first post, but I'm a medical transcriptionist (knowing just enough to be dangerous haha) by trade. I used to transcribe for a hospital and also a cancer center, but now am doing work for a long-term acute care system, so I see a lot of reports on diabetics with complications, which really makes me want to take this seriously and avoid those complications in the future. I also work at the elementary school doing noon duty (supervising 100 kindergartners at lunch and recess), I'm 52, and mom to 3 boys ages 18, 13, and 11 (college,middle school, and elementary school), so there's never a dull moment. Like most of us moms, finding time for "me" is taking some time -- but I know that time is now, so I'm determined to do so. :-)

Wannabehealthy
02-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Darcy, you have a very busy schedule. I too am very scared of diabetic complications. Sometimes I take the "it's not going to happen to me" attitude, and that's not good, because once you lose your eyesight, for example, it's not coming back. Then there's kidney failure, and foot problems to worry about. So many good reasons to get those sugar levels down. I had a visiting nurse for a while after surgery, and she told me to eat protein at every meal, but I realize that does not mean eat a 12 oz steak. Small portions of protein go a long way.

Yesterday, I did a pretty good job of keeping my carbs to a minimum. I also have to train myself to go for longer periods of time without eating something. I tend to graze and that doesn't give your blood sugar time to go down, and then you eat the next meal on top of a high blood sugar level. It seems that it's better to eat your food at mealtime and skip the in-between snacking. It's a hard habit to break. Right now I am trying to cut out 1 meal. Since I'm retired, I can eat when I want to. I am going to eat my first meal around 10:30 - 11 AM and then dinner at 4-5 PM. My first meal will be either breakfast or lunch food, depending on what I feel like eating. I guess this is like intermittent fasting. There are so many times that I eat breakfast, then I'm eating lunch 2 hours later, when I'm not really hungry, just eating by the clock. It will take time to get used to it, but I WILL get my BS down.

Wannabehealthy
02-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Ok, well here I am again with another link. I think I spend too much time online. LOL But this is how we learn, isn't it? I was researching various diabetes information and came across this interesting info. It is from the blog from Blood Sugar 101. Has anyone ever read that? Just Google Blood Sugar 101 and it will come up.

One of the things this helped me with is understanding that FBG is not the most important reading for us. It is more important to keep long term BG low, such as the 2 hour after meals reading. FBG can be high for various readings, but it is the long term high readings that cause the most damage. For example, if your FBG is 90 but your 2 hr readings are above 140 for hours at a time, that's more dangerous. But if you FBG is 130 but your 2 hr readings are below 140, then you are not necessarily in the danger zone. Be sure to read down to the Q&A at the bottom. It's interesting.

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2010/05/understanding-fasting-blood-sugar.html

I'm leaving for the day, so I promise I will be posting no more links! LOL

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Wannabehealthy
02-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Ok. I lied. Here's one more link. I found this link to an online book in a low carb forum. I haven't read it yet...it might be a bunch of bunk. But I am going to read it when I have time.

http://www.foodsanity.com/online.php

Ok, now I'm really gone! LOL

pattygirl63
02-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Carol Sue Thanks for the links. I'll bookmarked them to read later. Never feel bad about sharing as I too believe that is how we learn.

Darcy I was sent to a nutritionist years ago the 1st time I was diagnosed diabetic (I corrected it with diet and exercise and free of it for years). I went to the 1st appointment and never went back. When she told me that I needed to eat 11 to 12 servings of starchy veggies and grains and then told us she wanted us to eat green veggies and looked at me and said "I don't mean green beans", I never went back. I already knew from previous experiences that if I ate the way she wanted me to eat with all those starchy foods that I would become worse and die. However, I have learned the importance of green veggies, but green beans are good as well. I have had diabetes diagnoses 2x and corrected it with diet and exercise. My first doc was an oriental doctor... I love those guys and he told me you will learn what to do for yourself and will in time know more about it than what I can tell you. And I've been learning mostly on my own every since. Having all the info at our disposal with internet really helps us more these days than we had back then.

Well, I'm feeling better today after eating more protein. I do have to be careful not to eat so much that I get tired of it. I'm eating lots of meat and veggies. My scales are moving finally. I think I will change the ticker today or tomorrow as I've finally lost 10 lbs. It has taken me almost 2 months to lose down to 228.2 as of this morning, but that is okay. At my age I don't want to go too fast any way. MFP has really helped me to get the ratio of carbs, fat and protein. I ended up setting it at 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat. They aren't always right own and my carbs are mostly low carb veggies and calories seem to hang somewhere between 1400 and 1600. It seems to be working so I'll stay with it. I'm suddenly eating only 3 meals a day although I always plan for and allow for a snack. Just haven't needed the snack as of late. Hope I have found my way of eating.

Have a blessed day.

love2b150
02-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Carol Sue I had the same outcome with the taste of sourdough bread. I won't try it again. Your stories about your husbands likes and dislikes with food so remind me of my husband. He would order steak at Red Lobster also. :) Oh my goodness, fried potatoes in Crisco brings back memories :)

I have discovered in the last few days that I can't add carbs back in because I don't have control. I will have to stick to strictly good carbs or carbs that I can handle otherwise I won't lose any weight :)

Ruth good meals and very good bs :high: way to go :)

Trish that sounds like the slow carb diet by Tim Ferriss. It does work if done correctly ;) I haven't been doing it correctly since The first week of February as you can see on MFP :) Trish do you mine sharing what you ate on the 17th. I like the carb and protein counts :)

Ok page 5 is a book so I've got to catch up ....

pattygirl63
02-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Rennie Here is a copy of what I ate on the 17th.

Breakfast

Large Eggs, 2 eggs
Bacon, 2 slices
2% Milk Singles American Reduced Fat Cheese, 1 slice

Lunch

Great Value - Chicken Wings Sections and Texas Pete - Extra Mild Buffalo Sauce, 2 tbsp.

Salad made with Mayonnaise 1 Tbsp. Iceburg - Lettuce,
Celery - Fresh, Raw, Stalks, 1 med stalks, Roma Tomato,
Red Radish - Raw, Large, 3 radish
Onion - Sweet - Raw, Chopped( Pat), 4 tablespoons

Dinner

Fish - Cod Fillet, 1
Great Value - Fresh Chopped Frozen Collard Greens, 1 Cups
Great Value - Frozen Mixed Vegetables, 3 Pepper&Onion Blend, stir-fried in
Nutiva - Coconut Oil, Organic Extra Virgin, 1 tablespoon

Snacks

Celery - Raw, 2 stalk, medium
Jif Whips - Creamy Whipped Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp

Pecans - Pecans, 1 oz
Walnut Halves 1oz

TOTAL: 1,753 Calories 45g Carb

love2b150
02-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Darcy :welcome: to the thread :) ... my background is so similar to yours ... my paternal father and his mother are type 2 and his father had it. I was told he passed away after his second amputation. I had gestational diabetes with my last 4 children. The first two boys (born back to back) I controlled with diet, the third boy I did one shot of insulin each night, then with my daughter I had to do two insulin shots one in the morning, one at night. But like you I was fine after the pregnancies. Then in 2010 I had a physical and my a1c came back at 10.5 and the doctor put me on Metformin immediately. You are so right it is much easier to control yourself when another life is at stake but you know I keep trying to tell myself their lives are still at stake (without me they won't be happy) and I need them to continue to prosper. I know what I need to do so why don't I do it? Huh it's beyond me ... my oldest just turned 21 and I'd like to see my grandchildren in 9 years :D and of course the others I want to see them graduate high school and go to college and so on, so I've got to do this for them also :) We can do this and we will :hug: I'm love2b136 on MFP if you'd like to add me :) I'm the baby here at 47 yrs old. We have 3 boys (16, 15 & almost 13) and a girl (10) still at home and a married 21 yr old daughter.

Trish thanks for the list :) Trish my Mom found out she was anemic at this age also. Good for you on your fbs being in the 150's :high: My fbs has been back in the 130's to 140 this past week, not good since I had finally gotten it down in the one teens :( Trish I hope you get your energy level up and feel better soon :hug: I'm still reading but I hope you have heard something from the doctor and like Carol Sue said you can do it without medication maybe beets and liver, idk :hug: Good job on the exercise :)

Madeleine good for you on your weigh in on 2/18, keep up the good work :)

Carol Sue I need to pray about this also ---> Now if I could only learn to dislike carbs with as much intensity I'd be in good shape. :) I think I'll pray about that one! Haven't read the articles yet but didn't know veggies had oils either, wow. I'm gonna check out the link on Blood Sugar 101 ... that's interesting and I surely didn't know that.

Ok now onto page 6 ...

love2b150
02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Carol Sue, share away my Dear :) Thank you :)

Trish :congrat: on the 10lbs gone :high: I think you have found what works, way to go :hug: I'm also gonna try your percentages on MFP and see how I fair, thanks for the menu :)

OK all caught up :)

pattygirl63
02-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Carol Sue I tried one of the meals on the veggie list you shared. I bought some Hillshire Polish Kabalska and used 2 oz of it cut into some frozen collard greens and I was surprised at how delicious it was. That is an easy quick healthy low carb meal/snack.

Rennie I am eating mostly veggies and protein for meals except at breakfast. I sometimes eat 1/2 a banana (got some strawberries today) 2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon in the morning. I use about 1 or 2 T of FF half n half in my coffee in the morning.

I was in a hurry this morning so I sliced up an apple cut the slices in half and used 2 T Whipped Creamy PB and made Apple PB sandwiches (saw it on WW website) and it was really good. So that is my new quick breakfast meal.

I think I've learned in the last 2 days that I cannot do the Carbohydrate Diet's reward meal. I've eaten a few more carby carbs at noon meal and I realized 2 things... 1) I cannot eat a lot of carbs all at one meal and 2) I may not be able to eat "just" 3 meals a day. I may have to eat a few smaller meals a day. It doesn't bother the weight, but it is bothering the fbs. Another lesson learned and will have to tweak to see what I need to do.

That reminds me of something I want to share. I think as diabetics, we need to learn NOT to get upset about the numbers we see on the scale or blood work, even fbs. We need to see those #s as "information" we need to know so that we can use them to help us get the bs under control.

Wannabehealthy
02-23-2014, 12:17 PM
\
That reminds me of something I want to share. I think as diabetics, we need to learn NOT to get upset about the numbers we see on the scale or blood work, even fbs. We need to see those #s as "information" we need to know so that we can use them to help us get the bs under control.

You are 100% correct! I think I am in the worst condition of all of us on this forum. I keep losing the same few pounds over and over and my BS is not coming down significantly. All I can truthfully say is that I have not had a reading over 300 in the past few weeks. But I'm still in the 200's. I did go below 200 yesterday but back up today. I am not talking about FBG. These are different readings I'm taking throughout the day. FBG, Postprandial at 1 hr and 2 hr. I recently switched to Walmart's Prime Meter and the strips are only $9 for 50 strips, so I'm in better shape to test more often.

I won't post any links today, but I spent the morning reading about vinegar and cinnamon for diabetes. The cinnamon doesn't seem to show a lot of promise. Large quantities in the form of capsules, 2gm, are said to give modest drops in BS, but there is a compound in cinnamon that damages the liver. So I don't think a drop of a few points is worth liver damage. Of course, a sprinkling of cinnamon on oatmeal or an apple won't hurt, but I doubt if it will give a significant drop in BS.

The vinegar has better results. One website said it should be organic vinegar, but I can't stand the looks of it. It looks really gross.

The studies show that the vinegar, 2T, should be mixed in 8 oz of water which you drink before meals. It works by slowing digestion and increasing insulin response, and it can also promote weight loss, but not a lot...couple poiunds per month. Rennie, I know you were drinking it at bedtime and for some reason, they recommend 1 oz of cheese with it. They are still researching it, to see if it does lower FBS if taken at bedtime, but you said it did, so that's proof for me. I didn't realize when you were supposed to drink it and I was doing it at different times throughout the day. I will try it before meals and at bedtime. I am getting used to the taste.

Trish, one website said that vinegar can interfere with diuretics, so if you are still taking that diuretic, I would check with the doctor before adding vinegar to your diet.

Also, it said not to drink it straight, although I don't understand how anyone could do that. It can cause irritation in the throat and damage tooth enamel. They also said you can add lemon juice to it to make it taste better, or a bit of artificial sweetener.

I am proud of you girls who are showing such nice losses. I hope to follow shortly!

Wannabehealthy
02-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I think I've learned in the last 2 days that I cannot do the Carbohydrate Diet's reward meal. I've eaten a few more carby carbs at noon meal and I realized 2 things... 1) I cannot eat a lot of carbs all at one meal and 2) I may not be able to eat "just" 3 meals a day. I may have to eat a few smaller meals a day. It doesn't bother the weight, but it is bothering the fbs. Another lesson learned and will have to tweak to see what I need to do.

Trish, I am interested in this. I have a tendancy to eat between meals. In other words, I'm not eating "just" 3 meals a day. I read somewhere that you shouldn't do that. You should allow at least 4 hours between meals, to give your blood sugar a chance to go down. I figured by eating something small between meals I was keeping my BS high...not giving it a chance to go down before I ate again. But you say that 3 meals a day makes your BS higher. Are you talking just fasting blood sugar? Maybe you are one of the people who need a small snack at bedtime to prevent raised FBS. When I was in the hospital, they gave me a snack every evening. One day it would be pb and crackers and the next day cheese and crackers. I never checked to see the difference in my FBS with/without a snack at bedtime.

And then we must also consider that in diabetics, if you go too long without eating your body dumps more glucose, thinking it's starving. And that drives BS up without even eating.

This is just too confusing for me.

love2b150
02-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Trish I would love bacon and eggs in the mornings but I'll be honest I am too lazy to prepare them ;) I tried the PB and apple snack. I was surprised that I even liked it but have only had it once. :) I learned from last week that I can not just eat carbs when I want. If I am going to lose weight and get healthy carbs are not the way. I don't have the control yet that I need :(. So back to where I was in January, it helped and it worked. I just need the exercise part added back in :)

Carol Sue, I need to pick up that meter you mentioned. A former co-worker told me about it and I wrote it down but didn't remember where I wrote it so thanks for the reminder. I'm also gonna try the vinegar water before meals and see how I fair and you are right the cinnamon isn't worth the risk. There's a whole thread on here about cinnamon and chromium. I was just reading it yesterday or the day before. Thanks for the update on the side effect because I don't remember reading that on there :) I do remember that their are two different kinds of cinnamon. One I am sure I have never had since it is more expensive and purchased mainly in bulk. I think when I was pregnant I was eating 6 meals a day, testing my bs two hours after the 3 main meals of course the last meal was a meal it was a bedtime snack before my insulin shot. Also I know Jorge Cruise put out the 3 hour diet which I did try once and it does work/help if you can stick to schedule and eat every three hours. Some more for you to research Carol Sue. :)

pattygirl63
02-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Carol Sue I used to take cinnamon pills and it seemed to raise by fbs not lower it so I never used it any more. For some reason, I'm not using vinegar either although I used to use it with EVOO on my salads and my weight loss was better, but not steady. I really lie mayo on my salads right now.

Weight has been between 228.2 & 228.8 for the past 3 days so that is a good sign. I seem to do that before going on down and feels promising. Still feel tired although I do feel better. Hopefully slowly getting back to normal.

Carol Sue There was a time that I wouldn't eat breakfast at all, but now I look forward to it especially eggs and bacon. However, this morning I changed it. We didn't go to church because my back has been hurting so bad. I knew we would eat breakfast for lunch when DH got up so I ate lowfat cottage cheese with blueberries and strawberries about 1/2 cup of each. It was a nice change. I'm beginning to mix things up a bit and hopefully my body will like the change. I'm bad about eating the same old thing. I've always heard that you should eat more of a variety. We will see if it is true. I guess I need to check into eating every 3 hours. I couldn't have done that when I worked but being retired, I could try it.

I guess all this comes down to a learning process.

love2b150
02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Good Monday Morning to ALL :wave:

Happy to report lower carbs and none in the evening fbs was back at 113 :yay: weight was down .6 to 168.2 a new low for me only by .2 but I will take it ... hope I can get under 168 by months end so I can at least say I lost a pound ;)

Wannabehealthy
02-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Trish, I love eggs, so I am very happy with scrambled eggs with some veggies mixed in. I used to have toast, too, but I haven't had that for months and I don't miss it. I can eat eggs any time of day. Because of the cholesterol, I switch between real eggs and WalMart brand egg substitute. I have tried them all, and theirs has the best taste. I don't like bacon...it's too salty for me. I like sausage but I don't keep it in the house but I do order it if I go out for breakfast. I don't always eat breakfast when I get up. Sometimes I don't get hungry until 10 or 11 AM.

Rennie, I am familiar with Jorge Cruise. I will research the every 3 hour eating.

I understand what you're saying about having to keep the carbs out. It seems that if I eat a little bit of carbs, I want more. It's like a drug. I think Fatmad said the same thing.

You are doing very well with your weight and your blood sugar. I need to follow your lead.

pattygirl63
02-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Carol Sue I also like sausage and I buy Jimmie Dean's turkey sausage. The Crumble 60% less fat for scrambled eggs dishes and the 70% less fat patties to eat with other eggs. They really do taste good. Never thought I would use turkey subs, but some (not all) are good to me.

Rennie Good for you. You are doing great.

I am feeling better today. Changed my food ratio to 40% protein, 25% carbs and 35% fat. I just don't want to eat loads of fat so I thought I would see how this will work for me. If I find the old ratio works better, I will go back to it. I'm still holding in at 228.6 today so I am happy with that as I'm not gaining any more. Today is my WI at MFP so my 10 lb loss is real. Been here in the 228.2 to 228.6 range for 4 days now. I am very pleased as I don't want to lose too fast.

love2b150
02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks Carol Sue and Trish :)

Trish when I cut the carbs I have a nice drop after eating crazy ... so I don't think of it as losing fast. I think of it as all of the stuff I put in dissolving and my body saying yes it's gone :) I loss weight pretty fast in 2010. I don't think I will ever do that again though it would surely be nice at least for about 15lbs :)

Wannabehealthy
02-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Rennie, I looked into the 3 Hr Diet. The first thing I saw turned me off. The title of his book is "The 3 Hr Diet" but the subtitle is "How Low Carb Diets make you Fat and Timing Makes you Thin." I don't agree that low carb makes you fat, plus low carb is necessary for those with diabetes. I lost weight and stayed thin for 10 years on low carb. I had issues with his "Belly Fat Cure" because of some of the weird foods that were recommended. I want to eat real foods that I like.

Having said that, the basic principle is good. Somewhere I read that it recommends eating 5 times, 3 hours apart.....3 meals of 400 cal each and 2 snacks of 100 cal each, and finish eating at least 3 hrs before bed. I can lose on 1400 cals per day.

So here's the problem. I have too much information running around in my head and need to make a choice and stick to it. I seem to lean toward an Intuitive Eating/Intermittent Fasting combination. I feel as though that is normal....the way we were intended to fuel our bodies. But I'm eating too much. I need to get portions under control. I think I will start tracking and maybe seeing exactly how much I am really eating will make a difference. I did this before successfully and I can do it again if I put my mind to it.

Trish, I don't want to lose fast either, but it seems there's no chance of that happening anytime soon. LOL On the other hand, seeing a good drop on the scale can be very encouraging.

pattygirl63
02-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Carol Sue I think I got burned out on low carb before, but I seem to be moving in that direction especially after reading info on Diabetes 101 link that you shared. I'm getting DH to read it now too. I too got so confused for a while because I had so much info in my head and everything seemed so contradictory that I couldn't process it all.

I know a lot of people don't like the New Atkin's diet, but that book answered so many questions for me. While I don't agree with them about some things like using the Atkin's bars and shakes as an everyday part of my diet, I did enjoy learning how and why Atkin's works in a much simpler way than the Dr. Atkin's original book. In fact, the new book has more scientific proof of things that Dr. Atin's didn't have and it doesn't hurt that some of the doctors come from Duke's in NC.

I also lean to IE as well and I'm doing it with the low carb. I am doing Atkins today. I'm not doing Induction, but I'm not eating a lot of carbs today. The amazing thing is that so far I've only had 22 carbs and haven't had even 500 calories. I've always heard that people who low carb don't eat as many calories as others and I'm beginning to believe that is true.

Rennie I've heard of people who couldn't lose weight who were able to lose easier when eating more frequently like every 3 hrs or 5 or 6 small meals a day. In fact, DH Mother told me before she died that she heard Dolly Parton say on tv that she was one of those people who could not lose weight until she started eating 6 small meals a day. I agree, especially, after reading Diabetes 101 that diabetics need to eat low carb.

pattygirl63
02-25-2014, 04:48 PM
DH is watching a program on tv about a place where you can go and trace how and where you produce was gown. Since I've been reading about the dangers of GMO (genetically modified foods). The place is called traceprouduce.com . I though y'all might want to check into it.

Wannabehealthy
02-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Trish, I have the new Atkins book too, and it is the same basic principal. I don't see the need to be so strict with it that you can't accept a few changes.

I tracked my food for yesterday on FitDay and I was at 2000 calories. I know what things took me that high and I did much better today. Since I wasn't hungry when I got up, I ate around 11 AM. I had scrambled egg substitute and some of my greens I had left over from yesterday. Since we always eat an early dinner I didn't eat again. I had roasted chicken, with mixed veggies. Since my husband had a baked potato for lunch I figured he wouldn't want potatoes again for dinner so I made rice pilaf. One of my favorite foods that I rarely make because it's a big trigger food. I took 1 large spoonful with my meal. After we were done eating there was so much leftover and I started picking, a forkful here, a forkful there, then I picked up the pan and dumped it down the garbage disposal. I hate to waste food, but I knew if I didn't get rid of it I was going to pig out on it. I've done that in the past. I am really proud of myself for doing that. So far I have had 1006 calories. It's early, so I know I have room for a small snack if I need it. I have also been drinking a lot of water. I just want to get through today successfully, then I'll worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

pattygirl63
02-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Carol Sue I agree with you about the Atkins principles and being so strict. I am trying to eat protein with better lower carb veggies, but I can't believe that I've having a problem getting up to 1200 calories today as they say we should have. I am a little over 1090 calories with the plan I have for today. I don't think I'm going to worry about it as long as I am satisfied. I could add some food to it, but why do that when I don't need it. Interesting isn't it. IE and low carb seems to be working pretty good for us. CONGRATULATIONS on ditching the rice rather than keeping it around to holler at you. I do that a lot of times too.

According to MFP, I should weigh 215 lbs in 5 weeks if I keep eating this way. I'll be happy if I just get down to 219 by then. Not really in a hurry to lose it, I think at my age that it will be nice if I'm just half way there.

fatmad
02-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Carol Sue: yes its picking something and sticking to it that is important, I agree. And my problem with Atkins is sticking to it, but thats also my problem with WW, if I eat carbs, I tend to binge.
So counting carbs and calories it is. And now counting steps, (or the fitbit is doing it for me)
I am getting more active, and that is only to the good.

pattygirl63
02-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Well, I managed to get 1,111 calories and 44 carbs. I went over a little on the fat and sodium, but the fat is no problem with low carb and according to the New Atkin's book eating a little more sodium prevents leg cramps. So I can handle that as long as the sodium doesn't go too high. So I'm through eating for the day.

Madeliene You know how I hated counting anything, but I am now convinced that I need to count calories and carbs too. I am also exercising. I ride the stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week and then make sure I am very active the other days. I've come to the place now that I'm afraid to not exercise for fear that I will get out of the habit. It is so easier to make bad habits than good and if I stop the good ones I will fail.

love2b150
02-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Carol Sue, I just liked the 3 hour part. I made a list of things from his list that I liked and it did help until I got bored. It was a long time ago and I wasn't nearly as focused as I when I joined 3FC. Carol Sue good job on the rice pilaf :high:

Trish that is the problem I have with low carb is getting my calories in. I know it can be done but I just haven't figured out how. Today is one of those days for me also. Calories are low but I needed it today, tomorrow will be better. When I saw a RD when I had gestational diabetes I was told to eat 5-6 meals it does work if your schedule allows it.

pattygirl63
02-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Carol Sue, I just liked the 3 hour part. I made a list of things from his list that I liked and it did help until I got bored. It was a long time ago and I wasn't nearly as focused as I when I joined 3FC. Carol Sue good job on the rice pilaf :high:

Trish that is the problem I have with low carb is getting my calories in. I know it can be done but I just haven't figured out how. Today is one of those days for me also. Calories are low but I needed it today, tomorrow will be better. When I saw a RD when I had gestational diabetes I was told to eat 5-6 meals it does work if your schedule allows it.

I agree that sometimes it is impossible to schedule eating with 5-6 meals. Even though I am retired and I can do 5-6 small meals most days, I still can not do it everyday. I did 4 meals today, but tomorrow we have doctor's appts so there is no way that I can do it. And yet I still cannot eat 5 or 6 meals unless it is a day that I am much hungrier than others. I hope the calorie and carb combo counting will help. Being one who believes in a lot of Intuitive Eating principles, I still prefer eating only when I'm hungry and not by a schedule set by a clock or a diet. I really think as long as I eat only when I am hungry that I will be sending my body the message that it is not starving. It is my hope that my body will finally realize that when it sends me the signal that it needs fuel, that I am definitely going to feed it that it will stop holding on to fat and I will continue to lose weight.

I honestly believe if you just keep working toward learning what your body needs and doesn't need that the carbs and calories will fall in place for you. Just don't get discouraged and quit trying. You will do it. Just be patient with yourself.

love2b150
02-26-2014, 08:01 AM
FBS is coming back down in the low 120's this morning :) My stomach was a little rumbly yesterday with TOM and my calories were very low also but I will make that up today. It gave me a victory on the scale this morning. However, I know it will be back to normal tomorrow for sure. New (temporary low 166.2)

Wannabehealthy
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Trish and Rennie, if you are not getting hungry on your present calorie count or not feeling weak or run down, I wouldn't worry about not reaching your goal calories. Think about naturally thin people who eat when they are hungry and stop when they are satisfied. They don't count calories and probably don't have any idea how many calories they are consuming. I would think that the best way to add calories without eating carbs is to increase your protein.

I found a new snack that I like. Imitation Crab Legs. I first tried them from Aldi's, an off brand, and this time I got Louis Kemp at WalMart. Believe it or not, I like the taste of the ones from Aldi's the best. But they are about 25-30 calories each, 3.5 gm carb and 2 gm protein. They are made from mostly Alaskan Pollock. The only thing I don't like about them is they list a lot of ingredients that I can't pronounce, but that unavoidable with processed foods, and is probably preservatives. But since I'm eating it as a snack and not a meal, the preservatives are minimal so I feel OK about it. I love fish and seafood so I'm happy to have something I can snack on. They are about $3 a pack. Louis Kemp has about 15 pieces and I think the Aldi's brand had fewer than that, but the price is very reasonable.

My FBG was below 200 this morning. Going in the right direction. I give myself til the middle of March. If it's not below 150 by then I will ask the dr for more meds. I really want to do it with diet and exercise.

love2b150
02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Carol Sue good job on your fbs being below 200 :yay: I have had the imitation crab. The kids love them and you can actually cook them up and with other fish and make fish cakes in the oven. The sodium of course is the issue :) I only worry about the calorie count because for the pass four years all I have heard is if your calories are too low constantly you will slow down your metabolism. I just googled slow metabolism and decided to try a fast metabolism way of eating and reserved to books at the library. I'm gonna attempt this 7 day eating plan and see my body does. :)

Wannabehealthy
02-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Rennie - How many calories are you eating per day? I read somewhere recently that it's a myth that low calories puts your body in starvation mode. The amount your metabolism goes down is minimal. Also, I think as long as you are eating regularly and not going for long periods of time without food you are OK, like Trish said. I can eat up to 1500 calories and still lose. Anything over that and I stall, but I am going to stay around 1200 to allow for low calculations.

Trish, does MFP break down the fats such as sat fat, polyunsaturated and mono? If so, check to see what it is. The only one you have to worry about is sat fat, in my opinion. The poly and mono are good fats and your body needs them.

We were out very early this morning and I had a big breakfast. 500 calories. Rather than skip lunch I cooked some green beans, and I think we're going out for dinner so I will order a salad, maybe grilled chicken. I usually eat half of it and bring the rest home. DH eats the french fries out of it, or I would order it without them.

love2b150
02-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Carol Sue I try to do 1200-1300 yesterday it wasn't near that and today will be over so I guess if I did an average it may be ok. It has never worried me but I don't want to make it a habit of eating low calorie :)

Wannabehealthy
02-26-2014, 10:33 PM
I sure don't have a problem getting all the calories in!

pattygirl63
02-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Went to my 3 month doctor's appt today and didn't get a physical. Medicare only pays for that every 2 yrs and I had my last one in November 2012. Boy I was glad.

He said all the tests came back negative and I guess the iron wasn't low enough for meds. I told him I thought the problem was the way I had been eating trying to get into a routine to get the weight coming down. The reading was 11.2 and the lowest normal is 11.5. I probably wouldn't have worried about it, but I'm thankful for a doctor who is cautious. He said that my A1c was 7.1 and I was happy. He said "it was 7.0 last time". I was kind of surprised as my daily fbs had been lower than it was on my last visit. But all my other numbers were very good and so was Tony's.

This may sound strange, but we really had fun talking to our doctor today. I told him how I was using MFP to get my ratio of protein, fat and carbs the way it is working for me and that I'm doing low carb although not strict like Atkins. Then I said, "But I'm probably going to leave here and go have a hamburger. But I'll just eat off for one meal and get right back on to my low carb at the next meal" which I did. What was funny was he laughed and made a sheepish grin put his hand up like he didn't want anyone to hear and said "That's alright. I had pizza last night". He is doing MFP right now himself. Said he wanted a second piece so bad, but it was over 300 calories for one piece, but he kept thinking about how it would be over 600 calories. He tells me how he has to make himself do what he does to keep his weight off. He says he usually starts faithfully doing MFP in January like everyone else. He planned to do it 100 days until his pants fit again. LOL I really appreciate his honesty. He really is an excellent doctor. I'm thankful to have him.

Carol Sue I asked him about using vinegar with the fluid pill and he said it wouldn't hurt. I told him that I wanted to use it on my salads. I also asked about fbs reading and the reading after meals. He said that there isn't any need to check it until you get the fasting under control. Then you start watching the 2 hr after. I told him about me checking mine yesterday after lunch and dinner. I told him the 2 hrs after dinner was 139. He said that was good. When Tony and I get low on our present test strips, we are going to get the new meter you told me about that is sold at Walmart. I showed them to him today and it is worth getting in order to pay only $9 for 50 strips.

Rennie I told my doctor that I also told my doctor about how I was stretching to get 1200 calories in yesterday and that I ended up eating when I wasn't hungry to get there. I told him I don't like doing that, but that I know they say don't eat less than 1200 calories. He said that the reason they don't like us to eat diets cut down to 800 to 900 or less than 1200 calories is because when you eat such little calories that it sets you up for cravings and then leads to binges. However, he did tell me if I'm eating Intuitively which is the way we should eat that I should not eat to get 1200 calories in if I am not hungry. He doesn't think it is good to make yourself eat when your not hungry either.

So glad y'all fbs is coming down so well.

pattygirl63
02-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Carol Sue No MFP doesn't break down the fats into different types.

Wannabehealthy
02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Trish, I don't think I will ever get my fasting BS under control. Even when my A1c was 6.5 my fasting was at least 125. The reason I check at 1 hr and 2 hr is because I want to see if certain foods are spiking my BS or not. Your 139 2 hour reading was perfect! Even with the lower carb I've been doing mine isn't going down. That scares me, because if my beta cells are damaged I might have to go on insulin. I don't want that, because of the risk of lows. Right now, I never have a low. I can't even get a good reading, let alone a low.

I have done so much better the past couple days. I am back to onederland at 199, but my BS is still way too high. I hope I can stay in this frame of mind and not blow it, because I really need to get my weight and BS under control. I think the success everyone else is having is inspiring me to do it, too.

My family practitioner is very thin and always has been. My cardiologist is also thin, but has a little bit of a belly pooch. I don't think a person who has never had a weight problem can relate. It doesn't matter how much they have been educated because people gain weight for all different reasons and the road to weight loss has many road blocks and detours. You have to go through it to really understand. My doctors never mention my weight to me, except when I lost a lot after my surgery my PCP mentioned it.

Rennie - Can you tell me your menu for a typical day? I'm curious as to how you are keeping your calories so low.

pattygirl63
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Carol Sue Congratulations for getting into onederland. We are planning a trip to TX in June. Not sure that I can, but I do so hope that I can be in onederland by then. I am happy for you. I just believe as long as you are going down with your weight and doing what you know to do that it will come. I think taking your glucose reading after food will be helpful. I have a step-sister whose husband when he learned that he was diabetic checked how each food he ate affected his bs reading. From that, he formed a list of foods that he could eat and got control of his fbs. I think that is what you are working toward. Be patient with yourself. You can and will do it. I did that when I was diagnosed this last time, but then I went crazy like "okay, I can go back to eating like I did before" and lost control. Of course for diabetics that is a ridiculous idea.:?: That is where I actually learned that low carb really is what works bet for me although I fought it for a long time. If I had stayed with it, I wouldn't be having to do it all over again like I am now. I mean I got ALL my blood work #s in a healthy range. But that is past. This is now and I must learn from my mistakes and move forward. My doctor told me yesterday that if I keep doing what I'm doing I will be able to do it again. I told him that it seems to have come together for me and the fact that it is working is what motivates me to keep doing it.

So far I'm still in the 227 range for 2 days. Up today to 227.8 from yesterdays 227.2. I figure that is from the higher carbs and not enough greens. FBS was 159 this morning so that is good. I've got my plan done on MFP for today and I will end today with 1431 calories 60 g carbs 97 g fat and 83 g Protein. Just realized that my fat is highest, but not worried as most of it is from extra virgin organic coconut oil and EVOO. I figure that is good.

My breakfast this morning was 1 Jimmy Dean 70% less fat turkey sausage, 1 large egg and a mild cheddar cheese cube. I put it in my little microwave steam cooker that I got for Christmas so that the egg was poached. It was really good. For lunch I took a sirloin beef burger patty and added 3 peppers and onion blend, and some collard greens with mustard, ketchup and worchestershire for flavor and mixed it up like a meatloaf. I had that with green tea. I will make a chicken salad tonight with the last of the left over roasted chicken I need to use. I love polish sausage and will mix it with turnip greens with turnips for a snack tonight. I found these in turkey sausages that I bought yesterday with a lot less calories that I will switch to when these regular ones are gone.

Rennie, Fatmad, Ruthie and other :wave:

Wannabehealthy
02-27-2014, 09:52 PM
I made roasted vegetables for dinner with kielbassa. It might be the same thing you call polish sausage. Things are called different names in different parts of the country. I can eat a small amount, but I'm not crazy about it. It's a little too salty for me, but DH likes it. I also added some cubed potatoes to the roasted veggies for DH but he only at one small piece. He prefers his potatoes fried. I didn't eat any of the potatoes. I cooked a little bit of Quinoa for me. I like it. It is high carb, but also high fiber and high protein I think. It is similar to rice, but more nutritious. I cooked 3 T quinoa with 6 T chicken stock for 1 serving.

I could probably buy turkey sausage if DH wasn't with me, then if he found out I would have to say I grabbed it by mistake. He got upset one day because the hot dogs I bought were chicken and turkey and he said he wanted all beef. So I bought some and he didn't like them. All this time he was eating the other ones and he didn't even realize it. I know they have turkey hot sausage which I would like to try. I used to buy turkey salami from the deli and I liked it, but now that we aren't taking lunches to work I don't eat deli meat anymore.

My husband eat so many sweets and high carb foods. Potatoes, noodles, macaroni. Every day. He does not have a weight problem but I worry that he will get diabetes. He will not let me check his blood. He says it will hurt. The big baby. LOL He said if he had diabetes he would not take any meds for it. He said he would do whatever he had to do to control it on his own. It's not as easy as he thinks. I pray that he never gets it. I worry about him because he won't go to the doctor unless he thinks he's dying. I can only hope that he keeps his health.

love2b150
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Trish, I thank you for all of the questions you asked your doctor. You have answered everything I needed to ask. God used you to be the vessel to help me on this journey :hug: I can't speak for anyone else since the questions that were asked were for me in my opinion :hug: Thank you again :) Trish I was on the lowcarbfriends.com website and found some really good induction phase recipes for Atkins and some are really good on their food porn threads. I have started my own cookbook :)

Carol Sue, :congrat: on Onederland :) That's my worry also is going on insulin again. I hated it before though my sugar was definitely in control while on it. I believe that as we lose weight our BS will get better ... LOL Carol Sue I think it's a man thing with the doctor, finger prick and the foods. I have so many times put generic stuff in a regular brand container just so he will eat it and he doesn't have a clue. I don't substitute for anything pork however because my husband doesn't eat it but the kids and I do :) And the sausage is the same. Hillshire Farms is the brand that I use to buy.

Most days I have a carbmaster yogurt from Kroger (the only place I can get low carb yogurt) and/or an Atkins shake. If I don't have an Atkins shake I will have a whey protein shake with soy milk and sometimes peaches. Then at lunch I will have some type of protein and a vegetable, then lunch either more protein if I'm hungry with a veggie or if I am pressed for time like on Wednesday's we have church I will have another shake.

pattygirl63
02-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Carol Sue The polish sausage is the same as the kielbassa, in fact it is called polish kielbassa, but I couldn't spell it so I just put polish. I figured y'all would know what I meant. LOL

I never thought I would use turkey sub meats, but with the calories being lower I decided to try it and so far I like it. I haven't got around to ground turkey or chicken though. I still like the beef.

Rennie Are you doing Atkin's Induction? I thought about doing it but I think as long as things are working with the calorie counting and low carbing I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. If I hit a snag or a stall then I could use the AI to shake things up a bit if I need to. Glad my doctor's visit helped you. I knew we were all sharing info we get so thought I would just share what he said. I asked about the vinegar thing more for my Daddy than me. His bp medicine the doctor just put him on is what I take as a fluid pill and he wanted to start drinking the vinegar water each day. He didn't want to ask his doctor when I told him what Carol Sue had heard. However, it helped me as well.

I'm headed to bed. I try to get to bed early on Thurs night to get me use to getting up for beauty shop on Saturday and church on Sunday. I've got into a habit of staying up late with DH all the other nights. Got to stop that. I do better with fbs and weight etc if I go to bed at least by midnight so I can get up by 8 or 8:30. I hate sleeping late because I feel like my day is gone.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

Wannabehealthy
02-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Trish, I am usually in bed by 9:30. LOL But I turn the TV on and watch something. Sometimes when DH comes in later I am asleep. I wake up during the night, around 3 or so, but can usually fall back to sleep. I like to get up by 8, but sometimes I cannot fall back to sleep and I get up around 5 and read. The only time I can stay up til midnight or later is if I'm out somewhere.

I buy Eckrich skinless kielbassa. It seems to be not as fatty as Hillshire Farms. The skinless is easier to eat but if you cook it too long (as in sauerkraut) it tends to fall apart easily.

I don't use ground turkey at home because DH wants beef, but there is a restaurant nearby that serves a turkey burger and you can't tell it's not beef. I think there's certain seasonings they use so you can't tell that it's not beef.

Rennie - I can't do shakes. I feel as though I didn't eat but just had a milkshake. LOL I bought some when protein powder once and I have a Bullet. I intended to start drinking protein shakes but quit after a couple days. I would still want a meal afterwards. I wasn't hungry, but my head couldn't accept that I didn't food. It's all psychological.

Whatever you're doing, it's working well for you!! BS is still high.

I didn't lose any more, but I'm still at 199.

love2b150
02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Trish I do like the ground chicken I have used it for chili and for spaghetti.It doesn't look good but it takes on the seasoning well. Turkey chili I have had when others make it but when I tried to cook it the taste was weird. It's like the season couldn't get in it if that makes sense so I don't buy it. Beef still gives me what I need protein wise we just have to buy low fat percentage. I'm not doing induction but I figure whatever I need to do to get the taste of things that I like I'll just look up some low carb recipes and Atkins seems the best way to go. LOL I went to bed at midnight on Wednesday and I was like a slug on Thursday. But I have to get up during the week at 5:30 because of the kids :)

Carol Sue 9:30 works for me also. Thank goodness the tv in our room needs a projection bulb or I'd do the same thing :) Jennie-O makes a very good seasoned turkey burger even the kids like them. The plain one is icky to me/us. :) Try your shakes with some added fruit and spinach it is definitely filling, just a thought. I think I need to figure out what to do to get the fbs under the 120's again.

... we are all doing better, we need to keep that in mind and just continue to tweak what we're doing to get healthier :)

fatmad
02-28-2014, 07:11 PM
so I suppose that if I had adjusted my ticker up at the beginning of the month, it would show that I lost 3 pounds this month. So I am still not quite true to ticker, but am under 180 for the first time since the new year, so no complaining.

love2b150
02-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Mad, good job on the new decade :)

pattygirl63
02-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Fatmad Good to hear from you. Congratulations for getting back under 180. Still an accomplishment.

Carol Sue I saw the Eckrich skinless kielbassa. Can't remember why I chose the Hillshire Farms instead, but I think the calories and sodium was less. I do think some things test better made with beef, but where I can sub with the turkey I will.

Rennie I have to be in the mood for shakes. I may use them this spring and summer and perhaps some in the fall on days when I'm in a hurry, but no way can I do it in the winter time. I think it's because when I was in Overeater's Anonymous they stressed the "chew factor" insisting that it was better to chew your food than to drink it. I know that isn't true these days but it is ingrained in me. I have never tried ground chicken although my Mama did give me some ground turkey years ago. I threw it out because it smelled funny and I was afraid for us to eat it. I don't know if it was just us or if it was ruined and she didn't know it. Since then, I've never been able to force myself to buy it. I think I have eat it when Tony's daughter cooked with it, but not even sure about that. Besides, I'm not convinced that beef is all that bad for us as I read one time that there are enzymes that we need that we can only get from beef. I eat a variety of chicken, fish, pork and beef so it isn't like it is the only thing I eat. However, I do think there are people who cannot eat beef. I had a customer who came to the car wash where I worked years ago in TX who owned a cattle ranch. She told me that she had had a severe case of osteoporosis and someone told it was the beef she ate. She didn't believe them but finally decided to stop eating beef altogether and her osteoporosis improved tremendously. So it is another one of those cases like we dieters have learned... what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Well, I always share when I was good so I'll confess when I mess up too. I ended up just eating like crazy last night and have no idea how many calories I ended up with. Being an Intuitive Eater who is learning to listen to my body signals, this morning I got up and my body was really begging for oatmeal. So I fed it oatmeal. I've learned from IE that you don't have to eat a whole serving of anything just because the box says 1/2 c dry is a serving. I made 1/4 c dry oats and used smaller serving of fruit and yogurt in it.

We went out to eat at Cracker Barrel. Following the IE rule of eat what you really want, I actually ordered fried chicken livers (ate 4 pieces), mac 'n cheese (haven't had that in ages since it isn't low carb or diet and was amazed that I only wanted about 1/2), steamed broccoli and ate about 2/3 of a corn muffin. I was satisfied and not full and really enjoyed it.

Came home and had 2 snacks (dinner was so small it can only be counted as another snack not a meal). I'm finished for the night and nding the day with less than 1500 calories and within my allotted fat and carbs and sodium so I count it as a really good day.

I've decided (for me anyway) the key is that we are probably going to have a set back sometimes like I did last night, but we just have to face the fact that it happened and don't let it waylay us. We need to just get right back on track at the next meal or next snack or next day. I am so thankful that I have grown to the place where my slip didn't become a disaster like it would have in the past. And I hope that the way I handled it will be the way I will handle those situations every time it happens. I'm hoping that IE is what helped me do that.

Ruthie, Bonnie and Darcy Hope y'all are okay.

love2b150
02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Trish I say good for you! Enjoy your meal and time out with Tony :) You didn't binge you didn't overeat and you stopped when you were satisfied, good for you :)

Wannabehealthy
03-01-2014, 09:09 AM
March 1 - I started the new thread for March.