General Diet Plans and Questions - Am I losing too much?

View Full Version : Am I losing too much?

Fatty_McFattyfat
01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Hello, I am new here. To start off, I'm a female, 26 yrs, about 5'11". I started cutting/counting my calories on Jan 13. On that day I weighed just over 197. I have been eating anywhere between 1300 and 1600 calories a day, probably 1450 on average. I have not been working out at all and am unemployed with no kiddos, so I am pretty sedentary. Since the 13th I have dropped down to just under 187. So I dropped about 10 lbs in 18 days. My weight has flip flopped a lot the past few years because I get bored of being thin and give into gluttony, but I feel it's been bringing on some health issues. So now I'm trying to get it down and make it a lifestyle. I know a good portion of it was probably water weight, but according to my fancy scale most of it was fat, a few pounds water weight. Is this healthy to lose so much so fast without working out? I was always successful before but only lost 1-2 lbs a week, which I thought was fast, and that was with a serious workout plan. I'm happy to fit into more of my pants again but does anyone know if 3-4 lbs a week is ok?? I started out about 20 lbs bigger this go-around than I was the last time I started dieting, so maybe I'm dropping faster because I have more to lose?
Thanks for any input! :carrot:

Chardonnay
01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
When I first started I dropped 20 pounds in just over a month, and I was simply walking and cutting calories. Then the weight started to come off a little more evenly. If it's water weight, you might gain a little back. I don't think it's a big issue at first. Congrats on the weight loss :)

ames14
02-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Good job!!! Keep it up!

Pattience
02-08-2014, 07:52 AM
As you know its quite normal to lose a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks. I think i lost 5 kilos or pounds in the first month. Personaly i would give much credibility to those scales and their analysis of your weight loss.

However, i don't think its good to continue losing this fast. There will possibly be a rebound effect.

I think for your height you should really eat much more. If you just reduce your calories a bit from your maintenance calories, you will lose more moderately and will be able to sustain it longer.

For me who is only 5 feet 4.5 inches, i can eat 1650 calories per day and lose weight doing no exercise and only sedentary lifestyle like you. I do a bit of gardening from time to time and if my weightloss stalls my plan is to do the occasional one day fast or just reduce what i'm eating slightly.

I don't want to lose it all fast because of the rebound effect. You can find at a certain point that you become ravenous and eat and eat and eat and soon you are back to where you started from.

I used my fitness pal to determine what my daily calories should be. I don't calories every day but i did it a few times and know what i can get away with. I keep a food diary so i can monitor quite well what's going on.

DrivenByAmbition
02-08-2014, 08:02 AM
You lose more in the beginning, most of it being water. With that being said, do not get discouraged if you start losing at a 1-2 lb pace. That is what is healthy.

Crazziemomma
02-09-2014, 06:19 PM
As long as you are eating well and feeling well I would be chuffed! Congrats on the loss and hope you keep going. I have lost a lot very quickly too but am expecting it to even out so am going to enjoy it whilst it lasts because its very motivating.