South Beach Diet - Had a bad night

View Full Version : Had a bad night

jdpgolfer
01-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Hello all,

On day 10 today but last night at 1030 I probably ate 30 vanilla wafers and two glasses of milk. Feel remorse big time. I just have changed so many things and I have gotten rid of the food cravings (EXCEPT - when I drink coffee at night). Last night I drank a cup of coffee at 8pm. Why have a cup a coffee at 8pm you might ask?? Well, because I have quit drinking diet cokes and it's like the only pleasurable thing I can do.

So, like many things in life, the thing I'm doing to create comfort (drinking coffee at night) is actually causing pain (eating food I don't want at night). I do fine with coffee during the day but at night it seems to cause cravings.

I got back on the diet today. Today has gone very well. Just wanted to share some honestly.

Thanks,

penmage
01-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Big :hug: to you!!

We all slip up. Good for you, getting right back on plan!

cottagebythesea
01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
So, OK, pick up the pieces,put it all behind you, and move on. But if you are following Phase 1 as directed, by this time you shouldn't be experiencing cravings. Are you sure sugar isn't creeping into your diet in something you aren't aware of? Coffee, itself, won't cause cravings, but if you are putting non-dairy creamer in it, even sugar-free, it could stir those cravings up.

Personally, I would extend Phase 1 for several days because of your slip-up and get those cravings back under control. I know you can do it, and good luck!

jdpgolfer
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have been putting some milk in the coffee. Not sure what else it would be though. How long did you do p 1 cottage?

Thanks

cottagebythesea
01-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have been putting some milk in the coffee. Not sure what else it would be though. How long did you do p 1 cottage?

Thanks

When I first started SBD, I did Phase 1 for the full 14 days, as directed. Since then, I'll follow Phase 1 for 4 or 5 days when I feel my cravings getting out of control and to help get back on track.

It is strongly recommended to follow a strict Phase 1 for the full two weeks when you first start SBD to fully cleanse out your system and eliminate any cravings.

chubbybunny29
01-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Hugs! I also struggle in the evening most of all. I still want something sweet after dinner. Its not a craving so much as a habit.

I don't have much advice, just empathy. I feel the 'only pleasurable thing I can do' thing. Food has been a little lift for me my whole life, and so now that I'm eating to live instead of living to eat, I feel the lack of that "oooh, its spaghetti night" or "Oooh pie!" that I have been so used to. I know its how it has to be, and that I'll find another way to have that pick-me-up, but I def. know the feeling you're having.

pearlygirly
01-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Glad you are back on track.

Just a suggestion if you tend to want a sweet at night and this is your problem time then why don't you "arm yourself" with South Beach diet desserts that are P1 appropriate. There are lots of recipes on this board alone if you wanted to make 1 to have on hand for when you feel weak.

However like cottage was saying after 2 weeks you shouldn't have many cravings. I may get an eensy one after 4 weeks in but then it passes. I find now that a cup of tea or piece of fruit is sweet enough for me.