General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #1  

Default Heart surgeon speaks about how sugar is causing heart disease, not fat..

Interesting read.

http://www.tunedbody.com/heart-surge...heart-illness/
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5ft 4

Interesting article GlamourGirl827 but moderation and 15 minute a day exercise is key.When munchies come on I eat a sweet thing here or there but not every day.
SusanJefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Being a heart patient for 15+ years, I mostly agree with the article. I grew up in a family that did not eat a lot of meat (saturated fat) because we couldn't afford it. We ate lots and lots of starchy carbs that fill you up. Vegetables were something that came out of a can, and occupied one little tiny corner or your plate. No fruit. Couldn't afford it. Everyone in my family died of heart disease.

This doctor says that fat is not the problem. I'm on the fence there. I still don't eat much red meat, but there are a lot of healthy fats that help your heart. Some people look at the calorie count of foods such as avacado and turn it away because it's high in calorie. But the fat in it is so good for you. These are the fats that should be in your diet, IMO. Nothing has to be eliminated completely. Sweets and processed carbs are OK occasionally in small amounts. Also, you can lose weight without exercising, but it IS necessary for health reasons.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanJefferson View Post
Interesting article GlamourGirl827 but moderation and 15 minute a day exercise is key.When munchies come on I eat a sweet thing here or there but not every day.
Maybe the key for you, but not everyone. Moderation does not wor for me. I've tried it. Plus when I do actually give up sugar all the way, I am amazed at how much better I feel then when I'm eating it in moderation. I also gave up grains and I cannot believe how much better I feel. Never felt this good when eating it in moderation. If you've never completely detoxes from sugar you might think moderation is the key but you don't really know for see unless you can compare it to completely abstaining.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Being a heart patient for 15+ years, I mostly agree with the article. I grew up in a family that did not eat a lot of meat (saturated fat) because we couldn't afford it. We ate lots and lots of starchy carbs that fill you up. Vegetables were something that came out of a can, and occupied one little tiny corner or your plate. No fruit. Couldn't afford it. Everyone in my family died of heart disease.

This doctor says that fat is not the problem. I'm on the fence there. I still don't eat much red meat, but there are a lot of healthy fats that help your heart. Some people look at the calorie count of foods such as avacado and turn it away because it's high in calorie. But the fat in it is so good for you. These are the fats that should be in your diet, IMO. Nothing has to be eliminated completely. Sweets and processed carbs are OK occasionally in small amounts. Also, you can lose weight without exercising, but it IS necessary for health reasons.
I'm curious why you think sweets and processes carbs are ok in small amounts? I think people tell them selves that because that *want* it to be ok because they like it. Cigarettes are not ok in small amounts, we know this, I know this, yet I do choose to socially smoke maybe once to twice a year at most. I do not tell myself that's its ok in small amounts. I tell myself that I'm ok with the health impact because I enjoy a cigarette once in a blue moon to unwind. You can do the research yourself, or wait another decade for this to become mainstream but we are finding out thy sugar is bad for us, and a little is not ok. Having said that, will I never eat it again? No, I'm sure I will still have cake on my bday or cookies at Christmas! But I won't tell myself that a little is ok either.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 01-30-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #6  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Huh, interesting. Pretty sure I'm still sticking to the moderation route though thank you very much!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #7  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I've read several books on this topic and have to agree that fats, including saturated fats, have never been the problem related to heart disease. Totally agree that sugar and processed foods are the culprit. The fat connection was an easy idea the drug companies (statins) developed and used to misrepresent data in order to sell their new products.

Also, stress is a problem related to heart disease as it causes inflammation which is the root of many health issues.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronni62 View Post
I've read several books on this topic and have to agree that fats, including saturated fats, have never been the problem related to heart disease. Totally agree that sugar and processed foods are the culprit. The fat connection was an easy idea the drug companies (statins) developed and used to misrepresent data in order to sell their new products.

Also, stress is a problem related to heart disease as it causes inflammation which is the root of many health issues.
Agree & agree...as a nurse I feel fooled. I cannot speak for all those that are healthcare providers (nurses, doctors etc) but I can say that we are/were taught that *this* (fat, cholesterol, and meds to bring it down) was the right way to handle pt health. I think most of us trust our education, and I believe that most doctors truly care about their patients and think they are doing the right thing. I find this exciting that the medical community is just beginning to look to what science is showing (sugar as the culprit) and if that means going against the drug companies and what has been traditionally practiced for so long, then so be it. It excited me that we may be on the dawn of knowing how to truly help our patients stay healthy. It makes me feel bad for all those we've failed.

Clip from The Doctors on the topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFX34LoSYg4

I have not watched this link yet, but I figured I'd post it because it popped up on youtube lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 01-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well we have known for many years that diabetes (chronic high blood sugar) causes damage and the article is talking about high blood sugar, in this case spikes. There are ways to minimize blood sugar spikes for those that aren't diabetic, glycemic load is a good way.

And from what I've read of recent research, it seems that they do believe red meat is damaging to your cardiovascular system due to an amino acid, l-carnitine. So I think some of the research is being updated on that regarding fat but it is also a good reason to evaluate eating red meat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Well we have known for many years that diabetes (chronic high blood sugar) causes damage and the article is talking about high blood sugar, in this case spikes. There are ways to minimize blood sugar spikes for those that aren't diabetic, glycemic load is a good way.

And from what I've read of recent research, it seems that they do believe red meat is damaging to your cardiovascular system due to an amino acid, l-carnitine. So I think some of the research is being updated on that regarding fat but it is also a good reason to evaluate eating red meat.
Yes, I have heard, specifically on the subject of red meat that the way it is cooked it what effects it. I have not done any thorough reading on the topic, so I'm just giving the basics of what I remember, but I think it was red meat or maybe all meat in general should not be over cooked or cooked a high temperature because it does effect/change some of protiens and makes "toxic" compounds...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #11  

I was just looking at some studies, but the flaw that is being pointed out is that when these studies are conducted, other dietary choices are not evaluated. The study I am currently looking at says that thoses that consume red meat "tend to" die youner. But the data was collected through interview about their intake of red meat. THeir other diet habits are not evaluated. This is a big point of those challenging the idea that fat is the problem...when the studies during the late 70s/ and 80s were done, they did not account for the occupant's sugar or processed food intake.
From birth (I'm an 80s baby) I have been told that lean meats are better chicken turkey, and even with this knowledge that saturate fat/ red meat is not unhealthy I naturally gravitate towards lean meats, because it is engrained in my head. Those around me that lead heathier lifestyles, that exercise and "watch what they eat", tend to choose leaner meats as well...and they also opt for whole grains..and low fat dairy...those are the "staples" of a healthy diet that those that are trying to "be healthy" will usually go to...they also "avoid" sweets and junk (like cookies or chipd" and opt for healthy snacks... Lets face it, it still "feels" unhealthy to eat a burger or steak! People that make this part of their regualr consumption by generic advice standards are not "being healthy". It is that hard of a leap that those same people do not practice healthy habits in other areas of their lives? Less exercise, drinking soda, eating junk food..

So now conduct that study, ask people about their red meat consumption only, and what do you get? A result that shows that red meat must = dying early...but to truly conduct this study independant of the sugar theory, the participants much have no sugar and controll grains in their diet, then allow one group to eat a measured larger amount of red meat and feed the other group only lean meat...but even then we can make people do that until they die! lol so how to we really "prove" these things? ..food for thought, pun intended!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 01-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #12  
Just Me

Well I was referring to the idea that cholesterol and fat are no longer thought to be the cause of heart disease but they do still see correlation with red meat consumption. And also research that if you eat a meal with red meat, your risk of heart attack increases immediately after the meal.

Here is one article from last year but I think there were multiple similar studies
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhus...-to-carnitine/

Also, one thing I thought about is I read that there has also been a lot of research regarding diabetes and exercise. One research study I read last year talked about using walking after meals as a means to control diabetes. The study participants were able to control their blood sugar by simply walking. I know a lot of cultures walk after meals or just walk a lot in general (which we Americans don't outside of major cities with good transportation systems).

Now the study just applied to diabetics but if we think spikes in blood sugar can damage our cardiovascular system, then walking or gentle exercise after meals may be a way to help prevent that.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm waiting to see them address WHERE the red meat comes from. Let's see a trial of CAFO meat from sick, mistreated animals put up next to grass-fed, humanely raised cattle and/or wild venison. And while we're at it, let's go have a look at the lab-grown red meat, can we - a few years BEFORE our wonderful, capable FDA says go ahead and experiment on everyone?
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #14  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I'm waiting to see them address WHERE the red meat comes from. Let's see a trial of CAFO meat from sick, mistreated animals put up next to grass-fed, humanely raised cattle and/or wild venison. And while we're at it, let's go have a look at the lab-grown red meat, can we - a few years BEFORE our wonderful, capable FDA says go ahead and experiment on everyone?
Well one specific study on mice were given synthesized carnitine, which is found in red meat. Carnitine is also found in a lot of weight loss drinks as well. So it doesn't seem to be the red meat itself, the fat from the red meat or cholesterol but the specific amino acid. Carnitine is not an essential amino acid and it is synthesized by the body. The study with the mice showed an issue with the digestion of carnitine. Other studies were on humans and red meat consumption and not isolating the specific amino acid. It might be stupid/dangerous/unethical to give humans carnitine supplements to see if they develop heart disease.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I'm curious why you think sweets and processes carbs are ok in small amounts? I think people tell them selves that because that *want* it to be ok because they like it. Cigarettes are not ok in small amounts, we know this, I know this, yet I do choose to socially smoke maybe once to twice a year at most. I do not tell myself that's its ok in small amounts. I tell myself that I'm ok with the health impact because I enjoy a cigarette once in a blue moon to unwind. You can do the research yourself, or wait another decade for this to become mainstream but we are finding out thy sugar is bad for us, and a little is not ok. Having said that, will I never eat it again? No, I'm sure I will still have cake on my bday or cookies at Christmas! But I won't tell myself that a little is ok either.

I say that sweets are ok occasionally in small amounts because I believe it. It's not because I want it to be ok, because I don't eat sweets because I don't like them. I prefer a savory taste. But there are some people who if they tell themselves they will never eat sweets again will just crave it all the more. So a piece of cake on their birthday or a couple cookies at Christmas are OK IMO. Sorry, but I'm old, and I doubt if I will be here another decade to see if I'm right or wrong.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote