Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat January 27 - February 2

BillBlueEyes
01-27-2014, 08:20 AM
This deep cold does seem to call for snacks. Thankfully, I'm on a quest to keep snacks under control so this hasn't been a problem. But more snacks appear in my face with the chill.

I finished reading Mary Poppins (http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Poppins-Odyssey-Classics-Travers/dp/0152017178/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390825066&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+poppins) to catch up on what I'd missed as a child. The charm was there. But, as I in retrospect should not be surprised from a 1934 book, it was racist. Ouch. When Mary takes the kids on a magic journey in the four directions of the compass, they discover the stereotypes that we're trying to eliminate from children's books. What a shame; it'll probably keep the P. L. Travers version from coming back, leaving the Disney version as the final.

paperclippy
01-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Super cold here too -- low for tonight is -17, and that's not including windchill. :brr: It's crazy because it was 43 yesterday.

Bill, DH is reading the Arabian/1001 Nights right now and it is horrifying how racist and sexist it is. :fr: Good thing the babies are too young to understand because most of their storytime is just him reading out loud whatever he happened to be reading anyway since they just like to listen to him talk.

Dagmar, I don't have any intention of giving Carter away! I don't think he has any intent to be aggressive to the babies, even though he gets jealous sometimes. I am planning to take him to the vet to get him checked out and get recommendations about training. We're just having a really hard time getting this taken care of between being busy with babies, subzero temperatures, and Carter being incapable of getting in and out of the car on his own because of his bad back (and I'm not strong enough to lift him, and he refuses to use a ramp). Plus our previous experience with training was that a massive amount of time and effort was required to get any behavior change, and while I have plenty of effort to give I have next to zero time.

Here is a cute story about Carter and the babies instead though to show that he does actually care about them -- the other day Carter got spooked by some ice chunks falling off the roof (DH thinks, I was at work and he didn't see exactly what freaked him out). Carter was really worried and was shivering and whining and pacing back and forth in front of the door to the nursery where the babies were napping, so DH opened the door so that Carter could check on them. He sniffed at them and made sure they were okay and then was much more relaxed!

Megan1982
01-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Morning all,

There are rumors that it will snow and/or ice on Wednesday. In Florida. This just isn't right. I'm supposed to have jury duty Wed, but if it ices, I'm staying home. Southern people don't know how to drive in ice, and we have multiple long bridges where icing could occur and accidents would follow. I enjoyed the nicer, relatively warmer and calmer weather over the weekend while it was here.

I had a pretty low key weekend which is how I think I'll try to plan them all for the next few months, because it allowed me to get my course work done for the week without stress about time. I did go to a dinner Saturday night for a friend who used to live here who was in town for her birthday weekend with a group of new friends. It was awkward. I tried to be friendly and make conversation with the people I hadn't met before, but they were very closed off and didn't reciprocate conversation. There were a few of us who knew each other, and we all left early. I went to a brunch Sunday morning with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and met some new, nice people there. Other than that, I studied for class, did my taxes, and put together some new shelves and filled them for my office reorg project.

Emma and I took really long jogs & walks Sat & Sun morning and enjoyed the nice weather. Food-wise, I'm starting to think that the winter will entail a lot of sandwiches for dinner. I'm not really motivated to cook more than a big pot of (healthy) soup per week and have been making some yummy citrus and Greek salads, but that's it and I don't have extra time anyway. I need to give myself permission for this since I feel the need to cook a full meal often. As long as there is lean meat, whole grains, and lots of veggies this is ok health-wise.

Bill, I'm picturing you sitting in a comfy chair reading Mary Poppins and some alien force levitating snacks to dance in a circle around your head. Do others keep bringing them in the house or is it a matter of them just being there, calling to you? Good for you for having willpower! I agree, cold weather makes me want to eat too.

Jessica, I'm glad Carter is doing ok with the girls. If he identifies them as part of the family and watches over them like that, and you guys are committed to making it work (even if you don't have a lot of time right now), I'm sure it will be ok. He sounds so sweet.

Allison, how are you and your family doing today? :hug:

ICUwishing
01-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Bill, with this kind of cold, the only snack I want is a snifter of single malt! Re the books, it is funny (and a relief) how fast cultures can evolve. I hate to see revisionist history, even in fiction - it needs to be explained, it should be contrasted to current norms ... but it shouldn't be hidden or destroyed. That is the stuff of regimes that should not be emulated. I'm the kid of a librarian - is it showing? :lol:

Jessica, that's so sweet of Carter to check on them! That's too bad that he doesn't appreciate what the ramps can do for him. He could probably learn ... but there's that "time" commodity again.

Remodeling supposedly starts later this morning. School was cancelled at the last minute (we had just come back in from starting the car to warm up), so I am working from home. No point in doing battle with the roads when I can do everything from right here. And if something else needs to be moved out the way, at least I'll be here. DH and I have fled to the basement office/guest bedroom for the duration; while they will do their best with dust mitigation, I've been through this before. :p

mars735
01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Re the books, it is funny (and a relief) how fast cultures can evolve. I hate to see revisionist history, even in fiction - it needs to be explained, it should be contrasted to current norms ... but it shouldn't be hidden or destroyed. That is the stuff of regimes that should not be emulated. I'm the kid of a librarian - is it showing? :lol:

You put so well what I was thinking but couldn't put into words!

paperclippy
01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Megan, a big pot of soup and some salads are already doing better than I am. :lol: Babies were a mess yesterday and I ended up getting takeout BBQ for dinner. Dinner was ribs, ribs, more ribs, steak fries, potato chips, and pineapple. This was after a weekend of eating pasta and bagels. Sigh. At least I'm taking my vitamins even when I don't manage to get actual veggies in. I packed myself some baby carrots and some snow peas along with my leftover bbq for lunch today. Part of the problem is that DH doesn't buy easy veggies when he goes to the grocery ("easy veggies" = prewashed bagged salad, bell peppers, zucchini; "hard veggies" = anything requiring a lot of washing and preparation). Since he does most of the cooking these days that's usually okay, but when I'm looking for something I can throw together in 15 minutes it doesn't work. Luckily we have a lot of frozen veggies.

alinnell
01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
While you all are suffering from the intense cold we're getting unseasonably warm temperatures. I'm considering opening the bedroom sliding door to let in cooler air tonight as it's getting a bit warm for sleeping. I like to sleep when it's really cold and then cuddle in my down comforter. Last night I had to push the comforter and some of the blanket off for heat relief.

It's still sad in our house. We put up a memorial to Chico in the hall where we did the same for CC and Buddy. I guess we should call it the dead dog hall now. I need to add a little to his and may do so later today. Saturday night my son called me. That was so sweet of him. But yeah, still in tears this morning as routine points out that he is not here with us.

mars735
01-27-2014, 10:51 AM
While you all are suffering from the intense cold we're getting unseasonably warm temperatures. I'm considering opening the bedroom sliding door to let in cooler air tonight as it's getting a bit warm for sleeping. I like to sleep when it's really cold and then cuddle in my down comforter. Last night I had to push the comforter and some of the blanket off for heat relief.

It's still sad in our house. We put up a memorial to Chico in the hall where we did the same for CC and Buddy. I guess we should call it the dead dog hall now. I need to add a little to his and may do so later today. Saturday night my son called me. That was so sweet of him. But yeah, still in tears this morning as routine points out that he is not here with us.

Same thing up here in NoCal, allinnell. The weight loss took away my cold tolerance so I'm enjoying this warmth, unsettling as it is.
Years later, I still tear up, if I let myself, when I think of Marshmallow my cat, and still lapse into second guessing what I should have done differently at the end. Animals are such special friends and guides, really. I wish it didn't hurt so much when they die but I guess it's in proportion to how much space they occupy in our hearts. May it soon ease a little for you...

ChrisMohr
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Hi Allison, I actually just posted a longish condolence note to you on last week's site.
Good luck to all with this cold weather (except people in Hawaii and southern California I suppose). Karen and I have been spoiled in years past, being able to take a week off every winter to vacation in warmer climes. The green leaves on the trees, the fragrant blossoms, the warm water, all had the effect of breaking up the winter. Even with the alternating the warm and cold spells, now that we can't afford to vacation, winter seems twice as long. Still on track to lose the weight I gained over the holidays tho.

traveling michele
01-27-2014, 11:27 AM

I'm so sorry still. I know your heartbreak too well. We have the ashes of three of our most beloved dogs in my office. I imagine them keeping each other company. :hug:

Shannon in ATL
01-27-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm so sorry, Allison. :hug:

bargoo
01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
This deep cold does seem to call for snacks. Thankfully, I'm on a quest to keep snacks under control so this hasn't been a problem. But more snacks appear in my face with the chill.

I finished reading Mary Poppins (http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Poppins-Odyssey-Classics-Travers/dp/0152017178/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390825066&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+poppins) to catch up on what I'd missed as a child. The charm was there. But, as I in retrospect should not be surprised from a 1934 book, it was racist. Ouch. When Mary takes the kids on a magic journey in the four directions of the compass, they discover the stereotypes that we're trying to eliminate from children's books. What a shame; it'll probably keep the P. L. Travers version from coming back, leaving the Disney version as the final.

Books are funny things, When I was 14 I read "My Antonia" By Willa Cather,Loved loved, loved that book, Over the years I would plan on reading it again .Finally as an adult went down to the library and checked out a copy,Funny thing, it didntt have the charm as an adult as it did when I was 14.I was sort of disappointed.

alinnell
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Books are funny things, When I was 14 I read "My Antonia" By Willa Cather,Loved loved, loved that book, Over the years I would plan on reading it again .Finally as an adult went down to the library and checked out a copy,Funny thing, it didntt have the charm as an adult as it did when I was 14.I was sort of disappointed.

That's interesting. I read My Antonia about 3 or 4 years ago and loved it but couldn't get into any of her other books.

paperclippy
01-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Allison, I said this already on facebook but I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

Bargoo, I had the same experience with some books I loved in high school by Mercedes Lackey. Rereading them as an adult they were just annoying teen angst. :lol:

Here's a photo (http://imgur.com/CVllZs8) DH sent me at work today that he titled "Carterbug and friends." :) I think it's kind of hilarious because for some reason it looks like Carter was photoshopped in!

saef
01-27-2014, 09:39 PM
I got lucky for the long drive Upstate, and just passed through one scary snow squall in the Catskills -- that was all, the rest of the way the snow had drifted but not completely across the road. My compensation was seeing a bald eagle perched on the very top of a cellphone tower.

Now I'm in my mother's house and realizing how sore my throat is, and also that my mother hasn't left the house for a couple days except to shovel or blowout her driveway. We'll get out there while I'm visiting. I can tell when she's been shut in too long.

What a winter this is turning out to be.

mars735
01-28-2014, 01:00 AM
I got lucky for the long drive Upstate, and just passed through one scary snow squall in the Catskills -- that was all, the rest of the way the snow had drifted but not completely across the road. My compensation was seeing a bald eagle perched on the very top of a cellphone tower.

Now I'm in my mother's house and realizing how sore my throat is, and also that my mother hasn't left the house for a couple days except to shovel or blowout her driveway. We'll get out there while I'm visiting. I can tell when she's been shut in too long.

What a winter this is turning out to be.

How amazing to see a Bald Eagle!

Secret Swan
01-28-2014, 01:34 AM
Paperclippy, I had the same experience with Mercedes Lackey. I loved her when I was young, and now her characters seem like whiny brats.

I've officially made it through my first week of maintenance. At this point it's still more maintenance in theory than in practice. I find I'm very anxious about increasing my calories, so after giving myself a big bump the first week to get the ball rolling, I've decided to just go up 50 per week till I get to where I estimate I should be and see what the scale doesas I go. Does that sound sensible? I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this. Yesterday I planned all my meals and decided to have a bunch of snacks, and then today I couldn't bring myself to follow through on the snacks. So tonight I planned four real meals that I know I will like, plus specific healthy snacks. Hopefully then I won't feel so weird about it when it comes time to follow through. I like eating! That's how I got fat to begin with! I don't want to keep freaking out about it! Did any of you go through this?

Mudpie
01-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Swan Any behavioural change is difficult. We have to go ahead and experiment, see what works and what doesn't, and go forward from there. You are experimenting with finding out what works for you re maintenance cals. One week of experimentation won't cause you to regain all your weight. It will give you a direction and enable you to start building a regimen that works for you.

Dagmar :dizzy:

Megan1982
01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Reports of "wintry mix" and ice tonight into tomorrow morning has everyone in a tizzy here, as do reminders that bridges freeze over first since we've got lots of those. BF reminded me that we do have a generator (for hurricanes) and can plug in a space heater if the power goes out. The dog and I had one more nice wog yesterday afternoon before the weather switched this morning.

My office is once again reminding me of high school and I feel like the unpopular kid. I know I've complained about this before, but not lately. I guess we had gone through a better phase for the last year. I don't want to get involved in the drama or compete for popularity, so I just try to keep my head down and go about doing my work and that separates me. Everyone else ends up gossiping outside while I sit here. Will high school ever end? Sigh. Thanks for listening to me whine and I'll stop now.

I loved My Antonia in 10th grade. Maybe I should re-read it.

Swan, yes. I did go through that. And I still do sometimes, particularly when I get on weird schedules. ("I'll be busy for the next 4 hours, so I should eat my healthy dinner now at 5 PM bc I know I'll get hungry. But I'm not hungry now, and I've spent a long time training myself not to eat when I'm not hungry. Maybe I should wait. If I eat now, I'll be hungry at 9 PM anyway." etc etc etc. Dagmar has given you sound advice. A week of experimentation won't make you gain back all the weight. Your plan to slowly add calories sounds very sensible.

Saef, glad you made it to your mom's alright. How long are you staying this trip? A friend drives her kids to school each day and posts how many eagles she saw each morning on FB. "It was a six eagle morning" etc. We try to appreciate the beauty of where we live. Seeing such majestic birds is always thrilling and beautiful.

Jessica, great pic of Carter and the girls. I love how he is in front, like he's guarding the girls and checking out your DH and what he's doing before he's allowed past. Carter is your bouncer. Maybe you could add some easy veggies, like a bag of baby carrots etc to the grocery list each week. Just in case you need/want it. Frozen veggies are a lifesaver though. I've tried to be better about keep myself stocked. (Canned beans, tomatoes, and better than bouillon are my other pantry staples for easy healthy soups.)

Becky, did the remodel start yesterday? You're once again bracing for another winter storm, right? I also agree about the books. I'm the daughter of an English teacher, so I can relate.

How's that snow blower Bill?

Stay warm everyone.

traveling michele
01-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Glad you arrived safely Saef. Take it easy while visiting your mom. My dd (in Houston mind you!) has her second snow day in four days! Last week they "cried wolf" but this week they are actually probably getting precipitation.

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Re the books, it is funny (and a relief) how fast cultures can evolve. I hate to see revisionist history, even in fiction - it needs to be explained, it should be contrasted to current norms ... but it shouldn't be hidden or destroyed. That is the stuff of regimes that should not be emulated. I'm the kid of a librarian - is it showing? :lol:

I was reading a book to DSS last year about Jackie Robinson. It was written probably 20 years ago? It talked, in very neutral, childish terms about Jackie and some of the threats he faced, and some of the wording, even in the general descriptive pieces that were supposed to be the good parts, weren't things we would say today. I remember thinking about changing some of the words, but then decided that if I hid them from him I was doing him more harm than if I let him hear them and explained the context and why it isn't right today. Nothing obscene or hateful, just things that we wouldn't say today and weren't seen as racist then though they so obviously were. They removed that book from his school library this year, very subtly. It just disappeared with a tag in the catalog that it won't be replaced.

joyofsix
01-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Good evening everyone. I've been reading and getting to " know" you all. I survived the horrible drive to and from a basketball tournament this weekend, a case of stomach bug and the cold and drifting snow totally messing with my exercise plans.

Swan- maintenance is scary. Take baby steps.
Saef-be careful on those roads
Megan1982-don't you hate office drama, I'm never sure why some people can't grow up

paperclippy
01-29-2014, 09:10 AM
So I worked from home yesterday to avoid driving to the office in -5 degree temps (not including wind chill) -- glad I did because it meant I got to be there to see Cecilia crawl for the first time! :D I took a couple videos, you can see one of them here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zEnC93QwwI). Allison can't quite do it yet but instead she has started babbling with consonant sounds!

In other news, I finally made a vet appointment for Carter! Yay! I am taking the day off Monday since we have the girls' 9 month pediatrician appointment in the afternoon, so I scheduled Carter's appointment in the morning. Hopefully the weather won't be too dicey Monday.

Swan, glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way about Mercedes Lackey! Her books ought to be filed in the YA section along with the other whiny teen angst novels. ;)

silverbirch
01-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Jessica, wonderful! I also watched the Hanukkah presents one which is just lovely. It looks as though everyone is doing very well! :hug:

joyofsix
01-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Ooh Jessica, babies! Too cute. I got to work out today. I was starving but kept it to salad and fruit so I don't think I did too much damage. We shall see Friday morning when I get on the scale.

Mudpie
01-29-2014, 08:43 PM
. . . of my "office" today

Dagmar :coolsnow:

BillBlueEyes
01-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Gracious . . . what a piece of heaven.

alinnell
01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Your office looks beautiful and COLD!!!!! Dagmar.

mars735
01-29-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm in awe Dagmar!

Mudpie
01-30-2014, 06:31 AM
It's a beautiful place and it changes all the time. I took those pics in the a.m. and it was quite dark and foreboding. By noon it was sunny and everything looked blue-white and icy, with snow whipping about everywhere.

Whenever I am freezing or have the wind bringing tears to my eyes I try to look at the water and sky and appreciate just how beautiful the environment is where I work.

And I'm pretty good at taking photos so you don't see the utility poles, snow fences, chain link, and garbage cans. :lol:

Dagmar :coolsnow:

paperclippy
01-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Dagmar, it is cold but beautiful!

I saw this interesting article from a link on Facebook and thought you folks would be interested: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2546975/One-twin-gave-sugar-gave-fat-Their-experiment-change-YOUR-life.html

The summary is: a pair of identical twin doctors went on a diet. One went no carb, the other went no fat. Both lost weight. The one who went no carb lost more weight and didn't feel hungry, but felt sluggish and thick-headed and performed more poorly on physical tasks than his brother. The one who went no fat was hungry and snacking all the time and lost less weight, but outperformed his brother on physical tasks and had no mental side effects.

The gist of their finding is that the healthiest weight loss diet includes a balance of carbs, protein, and fat, in moderate quantities. They also postulate that the foods that are the most "addictive" are ones that have high levels of sugar AND fat, like ice cream, chocolate, etc., as opposed to foods with fat alone or sugar alone.

ICUwishing
01-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Dagmar, while the photos are beautiful, I can't bring myself to be jealous about your job, :lol:. I am so winter-weather-weary right now that an ice cube in a glass of water is repulsive.

jessica, your girls are SO cute! Not sure I agree with the article's conclusion specifically with the sugar/fat combo, though from what I see around me it's certainly valid for a very large group. My downfall has always been the salt/fat combo in crunchy forms; sweet stuff isn't all that interesting or attractive to me, but do NOT get between me and Cheezits in weak moments!

Swan and joyofsix, welcome!

Megan, I hope the radical weather is getting past you and not too much damage was done. Sorry you're having to endure immaturity at work. :p The bathroom tearout started on schedule on Monday this week, and they already have everything gutted, the new walls framed in, some of the new plumbing, and the shower pan set. It is scary how fast pros can work - I guess that's why it costs so much (because it's worth it!). We haven't had to deal with much beyond really freaking cold weather here. The kids in our area lost 3 more school days because of wind chills. Today it breaks ... thank goodness. My neck has been whacked out from being all hunched against the cold for so long!

Today's my annual performance evaluation. It's hard to work up any emotion about it - the process is so convoluted, pre-determined, and political that there is no value to it. I am more annoyed that it will take 30 minutes out of my day than anything else.

apo9
01-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Oh Dagmar,your pictures are wonderful.I can feel the cold right through the computer.I'll bet the wind near the lake is quite biting.Thanks for sharing them with us.

alinnell
01-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Good luck on the evaluation, Becky. And I hear you on that ice cube even though I don't live in such cold conditions. When it is colder (we're having an unseasonably hot winter) I can't get myself to eat grapefruit for breakfast. I need something hot. This year, not so much. And I'm eating more salads at dinner which is unheard of for me this time of year. Obviously I'm doing something right as I am losing.

Jessica~I've always believed "everything in moderation" meaning I don't particularly cut out any one thing from my diet. Don't talk to me about Paleo as I could never go grain-free in my diet! And I do believe a certain amount of fat is essential for the body to believe it is getting what it wants.

bargoo
01-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Shannon, Are you OK? I have been reading about the severe weather in Atlanta.I hope it has not affected you too severely,

alinnell
01-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Shannon has been posting on Facebook. They've had a terrible time with driving but she and her family are well.

silverbirch
01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Wonderful pictures, Dagmar! Thank you for posting them.

Shannon in ATL
01-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks for asking, Bargoo. I'm well, as Allison said. I left my office at 10:50 am on Tuesday, and was in that last wave of exit before the madness hit. My drive was pretty normal, but starting to slush. My friends and neighbors didn't all fare so well - I had many in their cars for 7-8 hours, some who didn't get home until after midnight, and two who didn't get home until the next morning. One friend's husband spent 23 hours on a commuter bus. It has been a tough time in the ATL this week.

saef
01-30-2014, 05:54 PM
On Tuesday morning, it was -8 degrees here when I headed to the gym. This morning, thankfully, it was 5 degrees, and in the late afternoon, I think finally, for the first time since I arrived, it hit the 20s.

I've visited the eye doctor and the dentist, paid my car insurance in person, sat in a bank office moving around money, gotten my nails done, called the furniture restorer and nagged him about my cheval mirror, and just now I'm drinking Diet Coke to soothe my throat and trying not to cough, because it hurts a little when I do. Yes, I got a head cold. I rather prefer my soda lukewarm, for the same reasons that Becky describes.

I feel as though I will never, ever be warm again.

Even my mother's backyard bird feeders are deserted except for the great big Pileated woodpecker gorging on suet.

Jen, the evening news is full of your weather, but I'll be gone from here by the time the trend shifts a little further south.

Shannon, my company's Atlanta office simply shut down and advised all employees to stay home and work from home, which impressed me, because like all employers with a very active sales force, they hate shutting off the lights at home. I'm so glad you headed home early. Did you just make the decision to go, or was there a general early release?

BillBlueEyes
01-30-2014, 05:58 PM
A backyard Pileated woodpecker is a honking BIG DEAL. That's not a common bird around here.

Shannon in ATL
01-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Seaf - I only left because my husband was up at 4am watching the news after being up with it until well after midnight and he said "if you aren't home by 11 you won't make it. This will turn and freeze and no one is going to be prepared for that." And he was right, almost to the minute. There was no early release - schools were open, and didn't announce early closures until late morning, if they closed early at all. Business didn't close. The news suggested not being on the road after noon, but nothing shut down or changed anything. By noon the roads were already impassable and it was too late.

saef
01-31-2014, 07:11 AM
Shannon, good for your husband for paying close attention, for staying alert and observing what was actually happening, and communicating with you -- and good for you for listening to him and making your own decision, regardless of what was happening all around you.

Here in Upstate NY, the roads are currently bone-white with salt residue, as are all of the cars from the back-splashing while traveling. My boots are salt-stained and so is my gym bag. I've even got some white dust from salt on my winter coat.

This is part of the difference between Upstate and downstate regarding the winter, I think.

Upstate, a hard winter is the rule, not the exception, and so it's budgeted for. Because they'd be stupid not to. It's a critical function of government up here, keeping the roads passable. The highway crews start every winter with mountains of rock salt piled up inside enormous sheds. There are mostrously large plows and salt-spreading trucks. There is a planned response; they're good at executing on it.

Downstate, the attitude is, "Well, we'll budget just a little, but hope & pray that we'll be passed over this winter, or just have a few isolated incidents of winter." The planning isn't very good; it's reactive and ad hoc. That attitude that winter won't have many storms may now be outdated; maybe it always was outdated.

Bill, my mother lives right at the edge of a game management area, and close to farms, overgrown former farms and wood lots. Those pileated woodpeckers like a certain square yardage of woodlots with trees at a particular level of maturity. You probably need more trees or older trees. They are quite a spectacular bird, with that flaming-red punk-rock hairdo. They are also wary, unlike the chickadees: No sudden movements at the window, or they'll take off.

I'm sick of spitting phlegm into tissues. I will head to the gym this a.m. and drive downstate again later today, and hope that I don't run into traffic due to some kind of Superbowl-related weekend migration.

paperclippy
01-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Saef, good luck getting back downstate on superbowl weekend. I feel like the people of NJ are probably pretty grouchy about now between having the superbowl but all the hype being about NY and that debacle with the governer's staffers shutting down a bridge to get back at a mayor somewhere. At least, that's what they're reporting on the news out here. ;)

Shannon, glad you got home safely. I admit when I first heard about what was happening down south I had the reaction of, "How could people get stuck in their cars overnight with only 2 inches of snow?" but then I heard about the ice from a friend in Alabama, which is an entirely different story than just snow. Good for your DH for predicting it when the forecasters and local government failed. They're predicting sleet and freezing rain in our forecast in a couple days so I'm hoping that we won't get icy roads here. Our neighborhood streets are still a mess from the last two storms -- they plow in the neighborhood but don't salt, and people are lazy and don't clear their sidewalks. There's at least 4 inches of snow on all the sidewalks and the plowed-but-not-salted streets have a lot of ice slicks.

I still remember my first experience with an ice storm that I unfortunately was driving in. It was in Providence, RI, and I was going to an OT appointment. I got there fine, but on the way back I ended up spending over 30 minutes going the half a block up a hill from a stop light to my apartment complex. Every single car would move up a little, then slide back down, over and over. I'm still thankful that I managed to get home without an accident.

I will say that I love my all-wheel-drive Subaru and I am pretty likely to continue to buy Subarus or other all-wheel-drive cars as long as I live somewhere that gets a lot of rain and snow.

It is funny to me though how some cities like Seattle, where it snows and ices reliably every single year, manage to not plan for winter weather. Like what, they thought, "Well maybe THIS year it won't snow!" or something?

CherryPie99
01-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Even my mother's backyard bird feeders are deserted except for the great big Pileated woodpecker gorging on suet.

Jen, the evening news is full of your weather, but I'll be gone from here by the time the trend shifts a little further south.

I LOVE Pileated Woodpeckers! Unfortunately, we live in a stone house that was a farm for most of its life, so there are great big open fields, so we don't get to see them.

Lake effect has taken a weird track this year - we usually miss the bulk as we are too far north. This year the wind has been totally different and rather then hitting Oswego County, it has been Watertown and north so we have gotten NAILED! It's been horrible.

The sun was out yesterday and it was literally one of the top news stories!

Glad that you will be getting out and home and will miss any terrible weather!

Shannon - my Aunt works in Atlanta and lives in White, Georgia. She got out JUST before the really bad stuff hit and made it home. So glad she did, because she has 2 dogs that are crated. I don't know what would have happened if she had gotten stuck!! So glad you made it home, too!!

Jen

ChrisMohr
01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Hi cJessica,

Your summary of the weight loss observations with the brothers and carbs and fat probably reflet what all of us maintainers know... and which is why I prefer Weight Watchers-type diets over the no-carb or no-fat approaches. Because of my sugar-chocolate addiction, if I eat in an unbalanced way, I get real cravings for a better balance of food. That quickly turns into an intense addictive craving, because a rich chocolate fix immediately reduces the natural physical craving for whatever I am missing. The other thing that really helps me is obscene amounts of vegetables. I whip up a blender drink I call "green slop" with cooked zucchini, parsley, spinach, green beans, celery a few peas and a hodgepodge of spices. That plus other cooked veggies and salad I eat in unlimited amounts. A full belly, even if full of veggies, really helps keep the cravings at bay, as does a reasonable balance of protein/carbs/fat. Since I exercise 90 minutes a day, I'm also careful to be sure I get a fairly generous amount of protein.

December was a blowout, to be sure, but without too restrictive a diet I have managed to get back to around where I was right before Thanksgiving. Still have some more weight to lose, as last year I let stress guide my eating habits more than all my "better angels," shall we say...

ICUwishing
01-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Shannon, you are one smart chick. :yes: So glad you didn't get caught in that mess! I saw an overview of how Atlantans were helping each other out by bringing food and supplies, arranging Jeep convoys to rescue kids at school ... it was cool. :)

saef, sorry to hear you got caught by a cold. I know exactly what you meant when you said you felt like you'd never be warm again. Yesterday I drove home in my down coat, with the seat heater on high and the heater going full tilt for a solid hour ... and still didn't feel warm enough.

Got stuck in the driveway last night, first time with my Escape. It gave me a chance to show DS a few things. First, there were a couple of new words. Second, what the low gear on an automatic transmission is for, and why it's good to turn off skid control sometimes. Third, how to deal with the spot that spinning tires glazes over. They don't teach that in driver's training ... except in Finland. Maybe not the swear words.

We're expecting 3-5" of snow tomorrow. It would have been a big deal last year, or even in early December. Not so much now. It's like, "Cool. Got all day Sunday to clean it up."

alinnell
01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
We've been having wind advisories all week long and finally yesterday afternoon the wind actually hit. Our street looks like Armageddon with all the downed palm fronds. I went out to get the newspaper and noticed that the Christmas tree that my next door neighbors took out to the curb last week had blown into our driveway (it had to have rolled 12 feet or more!). I had DH move it so we could get our cars out. (Don't know why they waited so long to take it down because the time period for the trash collectors to pick it up passed and I don't know how long it'll sit in their yard now.)

So today our car was guy is scheduled to wash our cars. And the sky is gray with storm clouds although the chance of rain is pretty scarce. We've waited three weeks for a car wash (he's been sick) and now if he washes them it is sure to rain. I will only complain about the car getting spotted as we really need the rain.

traveling michele
01-31-2014, 11:32 AM
Busy posting Friday! Hello everyone!

I'm terrible at keeping secrets and I was keeping two! They are now both spilled. My older dd was getting recognized as the outstanding new teacher at her school this morning! They surprised her with flowers, a parade and a tiara! They called me to ask if anyone local could attend and I gave them my bff's number (close family friend) and she was there! My inlaws couldn't make it because apparently my MIL tripped over their puppy/dog (that they shouldn't have but that's another story) and broke her shoulder in three places (having surgery next week). I sent a fruit arrangement to her school but I don't think it's arrived yet.

I also told dh that we are going up to Napa tomorrow for our foodie walking tour. He was suggesting we go to Napa for pizza so I spilled the beans! He seemed excited.

My weight isn't cooperating-- it was up today. Grrr.... and on day 7 of no grapes and calorie counting....

My dermatologist put me on a big regimen to get my acne under control. I just started one of the prescriptions this morning. It is a diuretic and I already have to pee! I'm wondering how well this is going to work when I have classes all day and can't always leave. I'm thinking I may not take it tomorrow when we drive to Napa and go on our walking tour. That might not end well.

TGIF everyone!

mars735
01-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Busy posting Friday! Hello everyone!

I'm terrible at keeping secrets and I was keeping two! They are now both spilled. My older dd was getting recognized as the outstanding new teacher at her school this morning! They surprised her with flowers, a parade and a tiara! They called me to ask if anyone local could attend and I gave them my bff's number (close family friend) and she was there! My inlaws couldn't make it because apparently my MIL tripped over their puppy/dog (that they shouldn't have but that's another story) and broke her shoulder in three places (having surgery next week). I sent a fruit arrangement to her school but I don't think it's arrived yet.

I also told dh that we are going up to Napa tomorrow for our foodie walking tour. He was suggesting we go to Napa for pizza so I spilled the beans! He seemed excited.

My weight isn't cooperating-- it was up today. Grrr.... and on day 7 of no grapes and calorie counting....

My dermatologist put me on a big regimen to get my acne under control. I just started one of the prescriptions this morning. It is a diuretic and I already have to pee! I'm wondering how well this is going to work when I have classes all day and can't always leave. I'm thinking I may not take it tomorrow when we drive to Napa and go on our walking tour. That might not end well.

TGIF everyone!

Congratulations on your DD's recognition. She sounds stellar! And on your grape-less streak. Good luck with your challenges coming up. Can you postpone the diuretic until after Napa? I think you are going to have a great time walking and not eating pizza or grapes!

Megan1982
01-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Morning all,
We didn't escape the cold wrath here. We only got a few minutes here or there of freezing rain, and a few people saw flurries. But it rained for 2 days straight and then went below freezing Wednesday evening. Our bridges iced over so they just closed them from about 7 PM until 9 AM the next day, when the temps came back up and things thawed out. I went home early but I know quite a few people who got stuck on the wrong side of the bridges. My porch and steps were wet from the rain and froze over around 7 PM that night, too. It's been colder here, but never so wet and that's what caused the problems. I was glad that our county was proactive about closing things down. I'm sure it prevented a lot of accidents. I can't believe it's supposed to be in the 60's and sunny tomorrow.

I've once again been out for 2 days rescuing cold-stunned sea turtles. Yesterday was a long day and a huge workout, today not as strenuous but still counts as my workout for the day. Poor babies. I was in an area that's really hard to access and hope we found them all. BF is out of town for work for a few days and I'm looking forward to being a couch potato tonight and catching up on my Downton Abbey, which he doesn't like to watch (only on season 3 - so no spoilers please!).

Yes, hearing what went on around Atlanta was terrible, though the stories about communities helping stuck commuters out were nice to hear. My old babysitter's hubby was in his car for 8 hours until a friend with a store near him found out and invited him in for the night. Shannon, I'm glad your DH paid attention to those forecasts and you got home before things got too bad. Do you think emergency officials will learn their lesson about preparing and closures?

Michele, what an honor for your daughter! How nice your friend could help her celebrate. Have fun in Napa too. A walking tour of Napa sounds really fun.

Becky, I'm laughing about your DS's driving lesson. Glad you could get out of the driveway.

Chris, glad you're making progress and good job for getting back to your pre-Thanksgiving weight.

Saef, I forgot the superbowl was this weekend. Ugh. But when it's over, football season is over, right? Then maybe I'll get to see BF on Sunday afternoons.

I don't think I've seen a pileated woodpecker in the wild. I love the bright red mohawk! Have a great weekend all!

joyofsix
01-31-2014, 07:30 PM
Well it sounds like we are all suffering Mother Nature's wrath this winter. We finally had a couple reasonable days in the 20's but snow or freezing rain is supposed to happen tonight and tomorrow. Michele- congrats to your dd. my oldest dd is in her first year of teaching.
I have more basketball on tap for tomorrow and my 6 yo has a make-up ballet class from the last snow day on Monday. Then I just have to survive the double whammy of my ds's 20th birthday and Super Bowl both on Sunday. I've been struggling a bit and that won't help.

Secret Swan
01-31-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm glad you are all surviving the wild weather! Where I live, we don't have very dramatic weather except windstorms sometimes. Seriously. I get get cold (I swear I've been freezing for months), but nothing like where I grew up (the Midwest). And we rarely get thunderstorms in summer. But that means you know pretty much what to expect from a season and you don't need a serious winter wardrobe unless you are me and you spend a lot of time going for walks while wearing all your clothes at once.

This weekend will be a real challenge for me, in a poor-me-I-have-a-social-life-for-once kind of way. :)

Today we had a Super Bowl snacks potluck at work. Tomorrow I am going to a bar for a going away party, and Sunday of course to a Super Bowl party. Usually I could fit any one of those things into my week pretty smoothly, but it's three days in a row of temptation, with none of these things being what I would consider a real special occasion. So I made something healthy for the potluck and just ate that, since that is the event where it is least tempting and socially easiest not to indulge. Then I am trying to be a little under my calories for today overall (and yesterday), to buy a little leeway for Sunday, since my friends that are hosting the party are amazing cooks. And Saturday I plan to have fun within my allotment so I can be free to splurge Sunday. It just seems like such complicated planning!

ICUwishing, that sounds like a valuable lesson for your son! Too many people never learn that stuff.

alinnell
01-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Michele~that is so cool your DD got that award! And so happy someone was there to share it with her.

I've been dog shopping. I'll leave it at that.

Mudpie
02-02-2014, 08:28 AM
After driving through a blizzard to get DH another bucket of mortar I went to a concert last night. Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt. I was charmed :love: and amused for close to 3 hours and heard some d*mn fine guitar playing and singing. Always such a treat :D so see those two at Massey Hall. Such a great hall and such wonderful performances.

Having to scrub mortar dust out of the bathroom today seems much more doable. DH will be finished the grouting today, He's had to do all sorts of really picky stuff, like grinding the backing partially off a bunch of tiles to allow for a "bump" between the drywall and cement board, cutting around the fixtures without cracking the tiles, etc. etc.. If allowed to work at his own pace and to be left alone he can do some quite amazing fix ups.

Tomorrow we get to see if all of his work stopped the leak. :crossed:

Dagmar :strong:

saef
02-02-2014, 08:36 AM
The thaw, the blessed thaw. Patches of grass visible, sunlight, smell of mud.

It's only going to last until tonight, but for now, my heart feels slightly eased, and it's the same feeling, weirdly, as being on a machine at the gym, working hard, glancing down, and finding I'm about three-quarters of the way through my planned workout, and it looks like I'm gonna make it.

Mudpie
02-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Cat Mudpie seems to be thriving on her new pain meds. She is alert and playful - tried to "help" with all sorts of stuff yesterday and is now outside examining the porch and driveway while DH chops the snow away from the catch basin and windrow. A week ago I had thought we'd lose her in a couple of days. It appears we have a reprieve. She is now coming IN and demanding her dinner while doing it.

Dagmar :D

mars735
02-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Cat Mudpie seems to be thriving on her new pain meds. She is alert and playful - tried to "help" with all sorts of stuff yesterday and is now outside examining the porch and driveway while DH chops the snow away from the catch basin and windrow. A week ago I had thought we'd lose her in a couple of days. It appears we have a reprieve. She is now coming IN and demanding her dinner while doing it.

So glad to hear it, Dagmar!

Secret Swan
02-02-2014, 05:41 PM

That's great news!

alinnell
02-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Such good news, Dagmar!

BillBlueEyes
02-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Good news! Thought we were months away from Easter.

CherryPie99
02-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Yay for happy kitty news!!!

traveling michele
02-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Hooray Dagmar! Great to hear!