Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Bars?

I know the atkins bars are not that great for a lot of people, but have anyone tried any bars that don't contain too much carbs that I can keep on hand in case I dont have time to buy lunch or if none of the other options work.

If not bars, what are you emergency foods that are portable and do not require refrigeration?

Stay warm all of you in the snowstorm!
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #2  

Protein bars are good to have around, imo. More and more are being made these days. Try different ones to gauge taste and how they affect your appetite overall. Quest bars are the best, but they're also the most expensive at $2.50/each. "Think Thin" bars are okay (Walmart). Shop around. Look for high protein, low sugar.

The only other food item that I can think of that's portable and doesn't need refrigeration is canned food. If you make up a batch of seasoned olive oil, canned tuna or chicken might work. You might need to keep a can opener with ya tho!
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

For me, the Atkins bars are too much like candy and I do not do well with them. Like earthecho, I like Quest bars. One satisfies me and does not slow down my weight loss.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks!!! Which flavors do you like ? I just ordered 2 together with an order of oat fiber and miracle rice from netrition, so we will see how that goes.

The tuna comes in pouches too, that combines with some seasoning might just be a good alternative!
Perpetualdiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

One option if you want to go there is pork rinds. There are also nuts, jerky, and laughing cow wedges or babybels (can go days without fridge). Unfortunately, like bars, these can all end up being trigger foods for some people. This is especially true if they add savory flavors (like BBQ rinds, wasabi nuts or terayaki jerky).

You can get canned shrimp as well as the tuna/chicken/ham. Some cans come with pull-tabs so you won't need a can opener. You might also consider keeping something like a small jar of oil-cured olives on hand and take home any leftovers.

I hope you find some options that work for you.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #6  
Back 2 Low CArb living

S/C/G: 220/210/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Going to Walmart today. going to check out those bars..
I need something easy to bring to work. That's not refrigerated.
Thanks for the suggestion!
ames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #7  

Bars are a poor choice. They all have too many carbs. I keep Pure Protein bottled shakes on hand for easy portability, low carbs and 23 g protein.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/153.4/145

Height: 5'6" Low Carb WOE

Detour bars at costco This one has one net carb. I don't eat them every day, but it is a good treat or to take for a quick bite. http://www.detourbar.com/products/lo...ter-cream.html
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo View Post
Detour bars at costco This one has one net carb. I don't eat them every day, but it is a good treat or to take for a quick bite. http://www.detourbar.com/products/lo...ter-cream.html

That is what I was going to suggest. I like these and Quest, best for lower carb and Quest is high fiber in addition.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #10  

Quest is a favorite in a few of the keto communities I haunt. I have not tried them myself as I try to eat whole foods.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote