100 lb. Club - Regainers regaining control, and relosing

Pages : [1] 2

carter
01-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Hello folks. There used to be a thread on this theme, but when I searched I found it hadn't been active in a few weeks so I took the liberty of starting a fresh one.

I have been struggling against a regain for the past year, really. My main problem has been binging, although I sometimes slip in overall discipline even when I'm not binging. Anyway I have been solidly on plan for about 12 days now and I'm ready to stand up and be accountable here.

(As it happens my girlfriend broke up with me about 12 days ago. :( As sad as I am about this, I think focusing on my plan has been an unconscious self-preservation tactic, one of several ways my brain has been trying to keep itself engaged with thoughts about things other than her. There's an element of will, too - I don't want to let a breakup be an excuse for binging.)

Enough TMI about me. As before, I'm keeping my original stats to the left, and I'll track the current progress in the signature. I know you other regainers are still out there. Let's help each other. We've all done it before, so we know what it takes. Let's buckle down and do it again.

Kat117
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Hi there Carter,

Sorry to hear about your breakup. Never easy to go through. I am sure you are strong and will pull through.

Thanks for starting this thread again. I too started regaining and deal with binge behavior. I got down to 164 (from 300) and then popped back up to 198 in a matter of 2 months.

I am here to support you in all ways! Let's get shaking...and not our bellies this time!

All my best,
Kate
---------------
CW - 188.6
Atkins Program - Former Ideal Protein

Slashnl
01-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I'd like to jump in here, too. I've been doing well the last 2 weeks, but I want to keep it up and not be stupid and regain again. 2013 was a tough year and I just let apathy and frustration creep in. Well, that didn't help and found myself struggling to do normal activity.

Feeling so much better about what I'm eating, I'm keeping track again. And, going back to the gym has been tough, but invigorating.

Let's do this!!

Lyn2007
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
I am working on relosing again, too. I haven't changed my ticker yet.

Bluehoodie2012
01-23-2014, 08:23 AM
I'm a regainer too...has taken me too long to get refocused this time. I got down to 199 before my son was born in 2012. Yep been off plan now for about 3 years. :( but I'm ready. I have to so this...I need to start really understanding my issues with food too.

VikingBride2Be
01-23-2014, 11:08 AM
I'll jump in here too. I was on here two years ago, went from 250 to 170. Kept it off for a year, and met my now fiance. He ate like a lumberjack (6'5" and 240 lbs) and I was unhappy at my job. The combination led to me putting it all back on and then some. So I'm back, and recommitted to look fierce and fabulous on my wedding day. :)

Slashnl
01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Glad to see so many recommitting. We all share such common stories. Did well before, but then somehow lost track and now have to start again.

SugarRomeoTango4852
01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
*whistle* This threat was made for me. I lost 80 lbs in 2012 and maintained for MOST of 2013. However, I have recently put 40 lbs back on which does not make me happy. It actually really upset me but I can't seem to re find my balance so I figured - why not go back to 3FC for the support I clearly need!

carter
01-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone. Glad to see folks ready to own up to the regains and get back to it.

Are you planning to take the same approach that you used to lose the weight the first time? Or, thinking of trying something different?

For me, I know what works: calorie counting, commitment, making the best choice I can make each time I am faced with a choice, saying "not today," keeping in mind that not every eating opportunity needs to be taken advantage of to its fullest.

Good luck and good strength.

allisonm
01-24-2014, 10:53 AM
I lost over 100 pounds in my early twenties. I was actually a member here under another name but I wanted to treat this as a whole new venture so I didn't want to attach any old baggage (or screennames haha.) Shortly into maintaining, I had a vicious breakup and then I had a back injury requiring spinal surgery and months in a wheelchair. That was followed by a post surgical infection in my spine, a blood clot from the portable iv line, treatment with blood thinners which I was resistant to, resulting in months of twice a week visits to the hospital and to top it off... shingles. Then I got married and had a baby. Still, through all that, I count it a victory that I didn't gain ALL the weight back. I gained back 87 lbs of it though. My baby is now almost a year and a half old. My back really hurts but especially now that he's getting bigger. I want to be able to move better and ache less and keep up with my little boy. I also want to have another baby and I think my pregnancy might be easier at a lower weight. Anyway, I'm here.... again. Hi guys!

VikingBride2Be
01-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Are you planning to take the same approach that you used to lose the weight the first time? Or, thinking of trying something different?

For me, I did hardcore diet and exercise the first time mostly because I was in a new city and didn't have a social life that kept me from committing all my time outside of work to losing weight.

Now I have lots of friends, and pre-wedding parties which made it difficult to give that level of commitment, see the results I wanted, and maintain those relationships. I tried it for a month, and didn't lose an ounce.

I signed up for Weight Watchers this time around. I'm only a couple days in, but I went out to a bar for trivia last night and had no beer -- just water with lemon, and a single buffalo wing which kept me satisfied and on plan.

Slashnl
01-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Welcome everyone! Good to see the recommitment! I am going back to what worked before, too. 3 days of spinning, 2 days of body pump per week, plus something lighter (walking, hiking, etc) over the weekend. Counting calories. And posting here!

I guess I'm using something new that seems to be a great tool. I'm on MyFitnessPal, and it has an app for my phone. It seems like I am doing better with keeping accountable with that.

toastedsmoke
01-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Hey everyone. So I was active in the previous regainers thread that's kind of lapsed so I think it's a great idea to have a new one. I started my journey in 2009, and got to goal in 2012, maintained that for a year and then took up baking as a hobby (blame Great British Bake Off) which led to a 20-30 lb regain in the space of 4 months which I've been trying to lose since October last year. Sigh.

Plan wise, I'm finding it quite difficult to be as disciplined as I was the first time around. I still weigh and measure and count everything that goes into my mouth, but then I did that when I was eating a whole cake in 2 days as well. I think I've gotten used to not eating at a deficit so now it's pretty hard to cut back. Also, I now have a different work schedule than I did before which means I can't always work out after work. Plus, to be honest, I'm just a lot lazier in many ways.

Towards the end of last year, I had success with the 5:2 plan, so I may go back to doing that along with good old calorie counting. I also want to cut down on my intake of sweets because I think that makes it super hard to stay on track. Exercise-wise, I want to go back to running 3 times a week (my runs have petered out to like 1-2 times a month which is bad!) and I'm going to start Turbo Fire tomorrow. Hopefully, this is our time to get back on track!

carter
01-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Good to see you, ToastedSmoke (and others of course). I was just noticing how similar our stats are - start weight, lowest low, and current weight. Funny! (You are two inches taller than I am though.)

Anyway I had an off few days, eatingwise - I went on a several-day trip for my company's annual meeting and was fairly careful but overate here and there. And I got my period yesterday. As a result I haven't weighed myself this morning. I'm trying to move away from daily weighing anyhow, just to try something different. So maybe I will weigh in a few days when I feel the bloat is down a bit.

I'm just glad I haven't let this unwanted and unexpected breakup to be a trigger to binge. It would be delightfully numbing to lose myself in a pound or two of candy. I'm not going to do it.

goal4agirl
01-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Thank you
Thank you for starting this thread up again. I also have regained weight back. I am joining a local gym this morning. I'm so out of shape I'll probably only be able to use the treadmill these first day's. That's ok though I just need to get up and move. Then I'm going to go to the store and load up on all my former favorites... honey crisp apples, clementines, salad mix, red seedless grapes, green beans, carrots, bell pepper, talipa, and chicken.
I just can't wake up another day and drag this tired, heavy, weary body out of bed and feel like I failed. So I begin again. ;)

Slashnl
01-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Lost 1.4 pounds last week. That's good. I'd love to see a bigger loss, but I'll be happy with it just going down. I think that last week was good, and I'm hoping to keep it going this week.

Goal4aGirl: That's what I did when I got back to the gym. I claimed victory for just walking in the door. And, for about a week, I just walked on the treadmill or rode a bike. I just wanted to get there. THEN, I got back to Spin and body pump classes. Good for you!!!

Hope everyone else has a good week!

allisonm
01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
I am using myfitnesspal and bodymedia fit to help with calorie counting. I can't tell you how helpful the bodymedia is and I wish I had it the first time in 2007.

goal4agirl
01-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Thank you! :D

Kat117
01-27-2014, 07:02 PM
I used to do Ideal Protein, but have moved over to the Atkins diet due to cost.

I find that just the addition of a second solid meal a day, 1-4 ounces of cheese bacon if I want it and some olive oil has expanded my diet by 100 fold and is easier to stick with.

One of these days I need to incorporate some exercise. I bought a whole bunch of yoga, pilates and stretching videos and watch them religiously, but haven't lost anything yet. Hmmm wonder if I am doing something wrong.

Avezy44
01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
This is a great thread! Lost over 80 pounds a couple of years ago and then just gained it all and then some back. I never reached my goal before but I was about 30 pounds away. My goal this time is to get to my goal!!

So I am looking to lose about 170ish pounds total.

Hit my first 10 today!! :)

carter
01-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Hello friends. :coffee:

Very frustrating time right now. Between my period, the few days of travel, and whatever else I've bounced back up above 180. Now, I have been a daily weigher for a long time and know I have huge fluid swings that can mask weeks and weeks of fat loss. I know, too, that my usual loss pattern even when I am fully on plan is to hold for about 3 weeks or so and then drop 3-4 pounds over about another week. So I know this doesn't number mean anything and doesn't, in some sense, count. But with the lingering hurt of this breakup it is a lot of effort to stick to my plan, get to the gym, do all the other things I have to do. It is a downer to have so much trouble making a dent in this regain that will stick.

Oh well. Nothing to do but keep at it.

Slashnl
01-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Hang in there, Carter. Obviously, you already know that it probably isn't a good number and will go back down, but I totally understand the disappointment of seeing the higher number. Just keep plugging along!

guacamole
01-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Hello, I am going to pop in to see if this thread is for me. I lost a good deal of weight in 2011-2012, but regained about 20 lbs in 2013. Most of that weight I regained at the end of the year after breaking my leg. I never made it to my goal and I haven't changed my ticker, which reflects the lowest weight I got down to.

I am slowly recovering mobility, but it is taking a lot longer than I'd hoped. I am feeling pretty rotten about myself these days, and can feel myself slipping back into my old reclusiveness that I had when I was at my higher weights. I don't like going out anymore, especially when it's a dressy occasion, and I don't like having a full body picture taken (or really any picture). It worries me that I am slipping into the same kind of anxiety and depression over my weight that I had before - because that just leads to more binges and emotional eating.

I really want to get back on track and have a few good days to spring forward from.

Frantastic
01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Count me in! I lost 50 lbs about 2 years ago and then went back to my old habits and over the 24 months, gained all 50 back. I atm going to stick with what worked with me the first time: Writing down all my food; weighing and measuring; no snacking; etc. and try to figure out what made me go back to my old ways and not do that again!

carter
01-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Good morning, regainers/relosers. :coffee: How is it going today?

I have been sticking to plan, eating light and carefully, and most importantly not eating for recreation or for numbing the heartbreak (which is still very acute). It isn't always easy but by focusing on one choice at a time I can manage it.

When I remember that I managed this for three years while I was losing 120 pounds from 2009-2012, I think, I can do this again for today.

The challenge for me is, as always, patience. These last 25 pound were very slow in coming off the first time, and I have to be prepared for that to happen again - if not more so. I catch myself fantasizing about being back below 160 when it's time to buy an outfit for my brother's wedding - which is in April - and I have to remind myself that I just won't be there yet or likely anywhere near. I have to stay in for the long haul.

allisonm
01-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Goodmorning Ladies! Be good to yourself today. I'm doing well and I hope ya'll are too.

LaurieDawn
01-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I have had many periods where I have lost significant amounts of weight. I am struggling from a 20-some-pound game from my current attempt, which began in June 2012. This one hasn't been steady, but I am making progress.

I took on some contract work last week in addition to my regular job, so I ended up having a week where I slept roughly 2-3 hours per night before the final two nights, where I slept 1.5 hours the first night and about 40 minutes the next night. And I just went into "don't care" mode on the eating. And now I am having a hard time finding the desire to care again.

I made myself come back to 3FC today, and I found this thread! This delightful, delightful thread full of people who I have admired for some time.

Carter - I am so sorry about your break-up. You are one of my long-time heroes here, and I often think about your advice when I encounter unwanted food. The "I have had that before and I can have it again, so there's no need to have it right now unless I really want it" advice.

Toasted Smoke - Your persistence has always inspired me.

Slashnl - I feel like we have been in the trenches together time and time again. Yay, us, for continuing to fight.

So, here I am. Just needing to take a deep breath and get back into the habits I so recently abandoned. Gonna do a bit of running today. =)

Slashnl
01-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Looks like lots of us are joining together to tackle this "regaining control". I'm feeling so good this week! I think I made it past the excruciating pain of getting back to working out. Not that it is easy now, don't get me wrong, but I also don't feel like I'm going to die every time I get on a spin bike or pick up a weight.

Guacamole: I'm glad you posted. I hope this is a helpful thread for you. It sounds like you've been through some tough times and maybe now you'll be able to bounce back. I'm pulling for you!

LaurieDawn: Yep, we've been here before. I totally understand the I don't care attitude that you can develop. I was there most of last year. (It didn't help....) I'm so glad you are here!

Carter: Patience is tough to come by with weight loss. It can only come off so fast and I just want to be back down to where I was able to fit in smaller sizes. I am so hoping for some good results by the time summer gets here and I have to get some new shorts. But, need to persevere.

VikingBride2Be
01-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Also feeling good this week! We've gone out a lot with friends over the past week, mostly because it's been in the negatives even during the day (it's -4 outside right now, which is better than the -20 it was yesterday) and there isn't much else to do. But I've been on plan every day! It's been a week since I've had any liquid but water and I used to have a crazy addiction to Diet Coke. I'm not depriving myself. I'm re-learning what a healthy portion is.

Trying to keep my eye on the ball and not look at too many pictures on Facebook of what 100 lbs lighter used to look like. It didn't come on overnight (though some days it feels like it) and it won't come off overnight.

carter
01-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Good morning folks. :coffee2:

Thank you for the kind words Laurie! It means a lot to me. I have posted a lot here over the years and I'm proud of what I've learned about weight loss but I often think my ideas might be unpalatable because they are to a certain extent grounded in discipline and being stern with oneself. ;-)

I am often told I should write a book but I fear the book will have to be called "All the things you don't want to hear about how to lose weight."

I am also sure that many of us who have been successful are told we should write a book. I don't think one can lose 100 pounds or more without figuring out a great deal about how to think about and strategize and form tactics for weight loss.

I'm rambling, cause I'm not awake. I overslept by an hour this morning and have to get to the gym. Have an awesome day everyone.

Slashnl
01-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone! We have the dreaded potluck in the office tomorrow. I'll have to try to be super disciplined! And then, I need to figure out something to bring. Way too much effort......

Went to the gym today for Body Pump. If I go tomorrow for spin (and I will go!), I'll have made it to the gym 5 days this week. That's my goal.

Have a great day everyone!

VikingBride2Be
01-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone! We have the dreaded potluck in the office tomorrow. I'll have to try to be super disciplined! And then, I need to figure out something to bring. Way too much effort......

I feel your pain! We're throwing a Super Bowl Party for friends on Sunday. I've been on plan with no cheating for 9 days -- not so much as a sip of beer or a Diet Coke, but I am kind of nervous about this. I love entertaining, so I'm doing a lot of cooking which will keep my hands busy from all the pre-prepared munchies.

But I'm focused. I have a plan to make sure I'm full before people start coming over and have budgeted to allow myself to indulge but not overindulge and still be on plan.

In other news, weighed in at 270.0 this morning (a great loss, but really body, you couldn't have figured out that another .1 pounds would have been awesome!) and I can smell the 260's over all the dips on Sunday. :carrot:

Kat117
01-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I read this today and wanted to share it with all of you.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. - Thomas A. Edison

That is exactly what we are all doing, trying one more time. :)

carter
01-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Good morning intrepid relosers. :coffee2:

Slashnl - Good luck and good strength at the potluck. I hope you bring something on plan that you want to eat! If it helps, think about your coworkers' grubby little kids "helping" them make whatever they brought that looks off-plan to you. ;-)

Viking - One thing that works for me at such parties is to delay starting in on the snacks until toward the end of the party. It is a lot less difficult for me to eat none of something than it is to get the taste in my mouth and then STOP. So I would go into a Super Bowl party with the plan in mind not to touch the snacks until the second half or even the last quarter. That way even if i have trouble stopping it will be almost time to pack up. Plus that way other people might mop up the really dangerous (triggering) stuff before I have a chance at it.

Kat: Thanks for that. It is all part of a process for me, learning what i have to stay vigilant about, which changes need constant attention even if i sustained them for 3 years while losing the weight the first time.

Slashnl
01-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone. In the midst of potluck. It isn't too bad. There is the bad stuff, but someone brought fruit, oranges and blueberries for the Broncos, and there are veggies. Good way to look at it, Carter. I'm sure there are lots of little finger prints on the food. Ick!

I went to Spin class this morning, so that helped with burning some calories, too.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

TooManyDimples
01-31-2014, 11:54 PM
*Sigh* Me too. My highest weight ever was 275. In April of 2012 I was down to 182. Moved to Alaska, started working at a desk full time and gained most of it back over the last year and a half. Very depressing.

I'm moving back to Florida in a few months so no more long dark winters where I just want to eat comfort food and I can't find the energy or drive to exercise. Hoping to make it back down below 200 by the time I move and goal by the end of the year.

We've done it before, we can do it again. Hopefully this time we can figure out how to make it stick. =)

carter
02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello folks. :coffee:

I went out to dinner last night. Although I ate more calories than I would on a typical day, I was pleased with how I handled the dinner - I handled it the way I did when I was busy losing 120 pounds. I did not feel out of control - I knew it would be a high-calorie meal and I made choices carefully within that understanding.

I suppose it is good to feel in control of something.

Terra1984
02-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Im starting over as well. When I joined this forum I was 294 and then I went to 300 and now Im at 297, I started to try to lose weight in Aug. of 2013 and I lost 5 pounds then I got off plan and quit working out until Jan. 16th of this year, I stopped watching what I ate and working out when Thanksgiving came around so thats how I went from 294 to 300 but Like I said on Jan. 16th of this year I recommitted to lose more weight then I did the first time around, I want to actually make it to goal this time around.

foreverfaye
02-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Hey all,
I'm glad to find this thread. My story is not so different from yours. Good on you for taking these first steps. I've hit this point so many times before and I've become so hesitant to take the first step. I'm starting over because I've literally hit rock bottom. I don't know how to be enthusiastic about this process or even cautiously optimistic. So my goals are simple, just stay checked in for a week-mentally and on 3FC.

AwShucks
02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Hate to admit it, but I'm eligible for this club, too. I've lost and regained 50, 75, 90 and over 100 lbs in my lifetime. My latest weight loss effort (2 years this month) was supposed to be my LAST! But, I just can't stop regaining and losing 5-10 lbs over and over again. I remember how progress used to feel-- when the number went down and down, and clothes got smaller. Now, I'm stuck, or on the way back up. I know my history and just don't want to let it all slip away, and for once in my life, I'd love to reach goal.

When I finally snap out of things, weigh myself, and notice a gain, you would think I'd had a decadent week with cake, fried foods, sodas, etc... But, really, it's been as little as an artisan loaf of bread eaten over a week -- meals consisting mostly of carbs, but not that high in calories. I just have the wackiest metabolism. I must stay away from carbs -- or make sure I have protein at the same time. It just seems SO unfair!

Looks like there's lots of support here. I'll keep checking in.

PS Guacamole! So glad to see you here. I remember you and always loved reading your posts. I'm sorry you've had a rough time. Hang in there!

carter
02-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Hello regainers/relosers. :coffee: <-- a little cardamom in my coffee today. It's lovely.

Today I am struggling with how SLOW the reloss process is. I have been on plan fairly well for 3 weeks now (since the day I got dumped :dizzy:) and I have very little to show for it.

Well that is not strictly true. My body actually feels pretty good - the workouts make my muscles feel good, my body feels clean and operational in a way that it does not when I am binging a lot. So I am seeing benefits.

But I want to shed this extra fat! I am trying to bear in mind that at this weight I am not likely to be able to average more than half a pound of fat loss per week, and at that rate of loss my fluid fluctuations can easily mask a month OR TWO of meaningful fat loss. I keep trying to tell myself that but I am champing at the BIT to get back to where I was before I started the regain. GRRRR.

What's your relosing bugbear?

goal4agirl
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I finished my first week :ebike: I must say I already feel better. I joined the new gym, and I love it there. One of my fears that held me back from joining a gym was it would be filled with willowy beautiful people, looking down their noses at short plump me. But the reality was sweet friendly people who seem to have the same weight struggles that I do. No staring, gawking, or pointing fingers... they are just busy working on their own. Why did I let my fear of people keep me away so long?? Anyway I had a good week of exercise, eating fruits, veggies, grilled chicken, etc.
I've noticed I sleep better at night. I don't wake up and toss and turn all night like I was before. Exercise makes you feel better....who knew??

Carter---I wanted to ask you about something- you said you put cardamom in your coffee. Does that make it taste sweet, or is it just a flavor like cinnamon? I am a coffee drinker. I use creamer and sugar. I'm trying to cut the sugar out of my life. I have done great in the food area, but with coffee I just can't seem to do without sugar. I haven't found an artifical sweetner that tastes good.

Have a great week everyone! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy093.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

XLMuffnTop
02-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Good morning everyone!

I'm gonna jump on this thread because, well, it pretty much sums me up. My highest weight post baby #2 was an eye popping 252. I always get down to around 220 then something just, putters out and I lose steam and regain. Right now I'm around 241 which isn't great but at least I didn't increase my highest weight. (Trying to find something positive. :p )

Working and going to school full time with a family means I have very little spare time. I'm trying to plan in advance to make sure I make good food choices. I really need to stay away from high, simple carbs/surgars in the afternoon and evening as they lead to binges.

I'm trying to make it a "fast food free February". One month to set the foundation to develop good habits. I'll see where everything goes from there.

Slashnl
02-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi all. Well, weighed in this morning. Up .2 lbs. I had a good week last week, but the weight just didn't budge. I was able to work out 5 days last week and was on plan until yesterday anyway! Oh well, maybe next week will be better.

So, Carter, I'm like you. I hate the slow process. I wish there was a reset button. But, I guess we just need to keep going forward. As long as it generally keeps going down, then it is good.

Daily Bread
02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
This is the third week into my restart with Ideal Protein. First week = 2.5 pounds, Second week = 3.5 pounds. Superbowl party was certainly tough with all the yummy crackers, chips, and cheese dip. But, I made it through with a few bites here and there....hopefully not enough to effect the week's weigh in.

I lost 60 pounds last year...15 pounds from my goal. Then my life was turned upside down with my dad's stage 4 cancer diagnosis. I took leave from my job and lived with my parents to help out for two months. My dad passed away, the funeral service was finished, I came back to work....and within about 6 months total, I gained 35 pounds back!

So I'm back on it again, hoping I will make it to goal this time.

carter
02-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Hello folks :coffee2:

I hope those of you who had Super Bowl parties too attend weren't thrown too far off course. I didn't attend a party, just went to a friend's house. She often has a lot of candy and treats around but I did fine.

Of course still not seeing any loss since well over two weeks ago but as Slashnl says nothing to do with that but carry on.

goal4agirl, cardamom is a bit like cinnamon in that it pairs nicely with sweetness but I am not sure I would say it is sweet on its own. In fact when I put cardamom in my coffee it sometimes makes me want to add a little sugar, so it might not do what you want! I am normally a black-coffee sort of person, no sugar, but with cardamom I'll often stir in half a teaspoon of sugar as well.

Daily Bread - It is tough to stick with any plan under stress like that and I imagine a plan like IP is even harder to adapt to being away from home and out of your normal routine. Good luck and good strength with being back on your plan.

VikingBride2Be
02-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Carter: We hosted a Superbowl party here yesterday. I did great and stayed on plan, but even eating in proportion, that stuff has metric tons of salt so I weighed in a little heavy this morning from water retention. Eating really clean today to make sure to get an excess salt out of my system.

allisonm
02-03-2014, 04:38 PM
I feel very discouraged today. Its week 2 for me and Monday is my weigh in day. I didn't lose any weight this week and I simply do not understand.

daily average calories burned: 2869
daily average calories consumed: 1556
daily average defecit: 1313

according to my math, I should have lost about 2.5 lbs.

Help. I am so frustrated.:stress:

carter
02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I feel very discouraged today. Its week 2 for me and Monday is my weigh in day. I didn't lose any weight this week and I simply do not understand.

daily average calories burned: 2869
daily average calories consumed: 1556
daily average defecit: 1313

according to my math, I should have lost about 2.5 lbs.

Help. I am so frustrated.:stress:

Allison, there are a couple of things to keep in mind here.

First of all, as much as we would like our bodies to be clockwork linear machines, they simply are not. The processes that govern the production and use of energy in the body are complicated and poorly understood. You have to average over much more than a week to deduce anything meaningful about how many calories you are burning. (Where did you get that calories burned number, by the way?)

Second, and more important, your calculation at best adds up to 2.5 pounds of fat burned. But your weight at any given moment depends upon more than just that. Fluid swings can be as much as 5-8 pounds and can easily mask way more than a week's worth of fat loss. And fluid swings depend upon a whole host of factors both within and outside your control. Sodium intake, your hydration level, weather (yes, weather), changing the amount of carbs you eat, changing the amount or kind of exercise you do, hormonal cycles, viral infections, and many other factors can affect the amount of fluid being held in your tissues at any one time.

The bottom line is: One week is simply not a meaningful time scale on which to measure weight loss. If you expect a visible weight loss every week, and let yourself become upset and frustrated every time that does not happen, you will make yourself crazy. It sucks, but the only thing to do is to be patient and stick to your plan. The question is not "Do I weigh less than a week or two ago" but "Do I weigh less than a month or two ago?" That is the only sensible time scale on which to look for measurable weight loss.

Hang in there. :hug:

Slashnl
02-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Carter, that was well said! We all need to remember that it isn't an exact correlation like we would like it to be. Time and patience are hard to come by with this journey. Just have to keep moving on!

allisonm
02-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks carter. I get these numbers from my bodymedia fit. Its supposed to be the most accurate measure you can use. You're right though. I know that my body isnt a machine and as much as people say "calories in calories out" its not just straight math on a graph. I really think maybe I should weigh myself once a month instead so I don't get so wrapped up in the number.

XLMuffnTop
02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
The other side of this process is how you feel. When I eat better, I feel better. It has nothing to do with my actual weight but how all the crap foods affect me. I get bloated and sluggish. My focus also gets all fuzzy.

Granted, I am very affected by sugars and simple carbs but this is plus side of eating right for me other than just seeing the scale move. Try to be aware of the other positives so the scale isn't the only thing you have to look forward to.

carter
02-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Good morning folks. :coffee:

Allisonm - There is nothing wrong with weighing less frequently if you think it will help you. I prefer to weigh more often because it makes each weigh-in less important, if you know what I mean. Suppose I weighed once a month and happened to hit a day of an upward fluctuation!

What I like about daily weighing is that it lets me learn my body's patterns. Over the several years of my weight loss process I learned that, assuming I stay on plan, I tend to have a whoosh week where I lose 3-4 pounds, then a slight bounce back, and then a pretty flat +/- 1 pound time that lasts about 3 weeks. It is an annoying pattern but it is so consistent that it helps me get through those long flat periods. Right now I haven't seen any loss for 3 whole weeks and it helps to think that whoosh is coming.

How are all you regainers/relosers doing today? I am pissed off and fired up. I want to get back to where I was.

Judy Lynn
02-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Hi ladies, I am back. I am ready to buckle down and get this weight off - again! My son is getting married in August, and I want to get as much off as I can by then.

Has anyone used My Fitness Pal? I am not very good at techy stuff, but I am going to try to download it onto my phone.

Slashnl
02-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi everyone! Made it back to spin class this morning. I took off a couple of days because my knee was hurting. I hated not going to work out, but I also don't need a big injury. But it was better today and it felt good to be back. Although I could tell that if I didn't get back today, I would have started having trouble getting back into it. I don't need to fall of the wagon now. It is a slippery slope!!

Allison - I think once a month would be tough to wait for, but if you can do it, that might be a really good answer. Much less focus on numbers, more on staying on plan!

XLMuffn - I am so with you!! It just is better to stay on track. I do not feel as good when I'm not eating right and not exercising. It makes me feel really slow and heavy. Just those two days of not going to the gym made me feel less on top of things and I could feel the apathy sneaking back in.

Carter - Living for the whoosh!!! I hope it comes to you soon. I think we all need a boost every now and then. Hang in there and stay pissed off!!! :)

Judy Lynn - I use FitnessPal. I love it! I think it is the best way to track food and exercise. I've looked at the forums some, too, but the folks on there just don't seem as nice. I read them for a laugh and to get some ideas, but I don't post. I have it on my phone and that is so helpful! I am not sure how to add friends yet, but maybe we can do that!

triptriptrip
02-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Hey everyone. Just getting back on the boat here. I've been plateauing like crazy since I restarted when it was so easy last time to break 200. The 5 pounds are driving me crazy. Then again, my feast during Superbowl might be hurting me still. Getting back on track is what matters most, right?

LebenAlles
02-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Hey All,

Jumping on board with this thread as my first post in who knows how long. I was rocking along and reached a 98lb weightloss, maintained for awhile trying to get to that magic 100lb number and even more so, to onderland, and then decided to gain back 28 lbs over the holidays. I lost most of the weight in 2012 and last year was a real struggle, as I was just tired of worrying about what I ate.

Anyways, I reached my max 'allowance weight' of 235, the weight where I promised myself I would let be the cutoff point to get back on track. So here I am. Slightly reluctant but mostly determined to lose the 28 lbs I've regained and continue on towards my 170 goal.

Glad to be aboard with the rest of you! 3FC was a consistently uplifting way for me to stay on track in the past and I imagine this won't be any different!

carter
02-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Good to have you here, LebenAlles, triptriptrip, and Judy Lynn. Let's kick this regain and get back to what we know we can do.

Judy Lynn - I use MyFitnessPal. I don't live and die by its recommendations - especially when it comes to estimating calories burned - but I use it for daily tracking of my calorie intake.

LebenAlles - Good job sticking to your threshold for you getting back on track. I wish I had been able to do that back when the threshold was the top of my maintenance range! :dizzy:

On the subject of fluctuations, daily weighing, and patience, I have inexplicably bounced back up to 180 today and it's making me slightly crazy. I was thinking well, if that whoosh doesn't come soon, I'm going to have to look at my plan and see if I'm doing something wrong. But I'm not. I can't think of what it might be, where I am undercounting calories or anything like that. I'm doing exactly the same thing I was doing the first time I lost this weight. I think I just need to remind myself how excruciatingly slow that was.

carter
02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
I will say that if there is a silver lining to this breakup (and I hate to call it a silver lining because the breakup sucks and I would give my eyeteeth to get her back) it is that "I haven't binged since she broke up with me" is a streak I have found the discipline not to break. Every time I think about binging I think, "Don't let her leaving be an excuse to binge. Just don't." For now, almost a month in, it seems to be working. So I am grateful for that, at least. :dizzy:

still want her back though

Slashnl
02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi all! Looks like we have some new voices here! Great news! I almost had a slip up today. I woke up slightly later than normal and I just didn't want to go to the gym. I kept going back and forth in my head and finally made myself go. I can't make it an option, or I will find all kinds of ways to not go.

We're having a weight loss contest here at work. We're putting in $20 and then at the end of 7 weeks, whoever loses the biggest percentage, takes the whole pot. I'm kind of excited about it. I'm competitive, so it will help me stay focused, I think. Weigh in is Monday. (That will be the worst part because then one person will know my real weight. But what the heck, I'll survive the humiliation!!)

LebenAlles: Wow, you have done so well! I'm sure once you get going again, it will all fall back into place and you'll get it off. Keep posting and we'll all help each other.

Trip,trip,trip: You are so right! Forgive the past mistakes and getting back on track is the most important thing!

LaurieDawn
02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
LebenAlles! Good to see another familiar face.

I am straight up struggling. With life and with food and with exercise and with work. My ex is moving to Russia, and will be taking my children with him. They really want to go, and I agreed to it. But I desperately, desperately, desperately want to roll in a ball and hide under my bed.

But I can't go down that road. I sometimes think that if I am completely miserable, it will be proof of what that loss meant to me. But I want my children to see this as an adventure. I want them to love it. And my misery will not convince them that I love them. Rather, it will make them feel guilty and either want to avoid me or choose to stay instead of doing something that would be amazing experience for them. It's only temporary, and I can make it.

Sorry for the rambling. Carter, I am once again trying to follow your example. Losing a partner and a good relationship is incredibly painful, and in your position, I would be inclined to sink into the misery, just as I want to do in my life right now. Embracing the pain can be so seductive. But it never works out well for me. So I have to cling to what I know makes me feel better. Working out. Eating well. Focusing on being productive. Being purposeful about spending time with my children. Not allowing myself to spiral into depression. (Disclaimer: This is not a comment about clinical depression, nor about how anyone else deals with situational depression. It's strictly about me better understanding how to deal with my challenges.) Because right now, for me, this isn't about seeing the scale needle drop. It's about feeling strong enough to make it through one of the most difficult transitions of my life. And I can do it. Just as you are doing it.

carter
02-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks LaurieDawn. You have my sympathy, and then some. There is really no comparison between being dumped by a woman I was seeing for a while and your kids moving to another country. Your heart must be breaking in the worst way. I wish you the best strength in finding your focus as you adjust to this tremendous and difficult change.

Everyone else: good morning. :coffee: In my coffee today: a couple of small pieces of the amazing stick cinammon I bought in Delhi, which I loved so much that the second time I went to India I had to find the shop again and buy some more. I wish I could send some of this stuff to everyone. It is unlike any stick cinnamon I have ever seen anywhere else.

Slashnl
02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
LaurieDawn: Aww. I wish there was something magical I could say. I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I can't imagine...

It's interesting because I was just talking this morning with a coworker about how life can so easily throw you off course. I can't compare to what others are going through, but last year was tough for me, mainly dealing with financial issues. Bad times! The stress was so great that I felt myself sink into apathy. I didn't care to work out, didn't care what I ate, didn't care if my house was clean, just didn't care about any of it. It didn't help me to be like that, so I decided to brush myself off, get back on course, and get back to doing what makes me feel good. So, yes, getting the weight off is an issue, but feeling strong and confident is the bigger purpose.

Weight loss contest at work begins Monday. I'm looking forward to the competition. It inspires me to kick some butt. And I want to win the money!

Hang in there everyone!

carter
02-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Good morning. :coffee:

I allowed myself a little recreational eating last night - I went out to dinner at a place that I go to specifically to drink alcohol and eat gobs of cheese. There may be more on-plan items I can order there but if I had wanted to stick to plan last night, I simply would not have gone there.

I haven't had a recreational eating event like that since getting back on plan just shy of a month ago. I'm okay with it. It was a mindful choice I made. I estimated the calories as best I could and logged them, and I'm right back on plan today. I would like to be able to do something like that once in a month and not have it derail my loss or my maintenance. So, I won't sweat it. I'll just stay on plan through the rest of the weekend.

Good luck and good strength today, all.

Judy Lynn
02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Laurie Dawn, my heart goes out to you. I used to hate it when my kids went on vacation with their grandparents for a week, so I can't imagine an extended period of time. How long will they be gone? Will you be able to visit them? :hug:

I am on Day Three of using My Fitness Pal, and I love it! It's just what I needed to get me going again. I am using a budgeting program for my finances (You Need a Budget) and it kind of reminds me of that.

I lost 2 pounds this week. Pretty pumped about that. :dancer:

So, today is my day off. I consider Saturday my day of rest, and then Sunday I do my housework, laundry, etc. plus any bookkeeping jobs I have to do. I have a few clients that I do books for from home. Looking forward to doing some reading later. I never seem to have time to sit down and read a book. Or rather, I don't make the time.

Anyone watching the Olympics?

IonMoon
02-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Hello everyone. Glad to see folks ready to own up to the regains and get back to it.

For me, I know what works: calorie counting, commitment, making the best choice I can make each time I am faced with a choice, saying "not today," keeping in mind that not every eating opportunity needs to be taken advantage of to its fullest.

Good luck and good strength.

I was a skinny kid, gained weight as soon as I hit adulthood for whatever reasons- not enough exercise, poor nutrition, underestimating my calorie intake. It hit 260 at one point and said that's it. I got down to 180 in short bursts of losing and maintaining. Gained a little back, then got divorced.

I got serious at that point- I was exercising a LOT, very strict with my eating. And lost 51 pounds. Then I met my current husband...

We bought a house together and my lifestyle got flipped upside down. I was suddenly in an area that isn't conducive to walking and an inconvenient trip to the gym- My last two apartments were near walking trails and on the way to the gym. PLUS, my time was being eaten up with housework, caring for my stepdaughter, and helping my dh with his business.

I gained back what I had lost PLUS MORE. Last month I weighed in at 253 and said ENOUGH. MY health is my priority- everything else will have to take a backseat. It is actually working well. My dh is picking up the slack and cleaning up after dinner.

I had MANY false starts in the meantime- I'd make a half-hearted effort and give up. My husband has been less than supportive- he would make comments about what I eat or my gaining (which I finally got him to stop!), but he would complain when I tried to schedule time to workout. If I mentioned changes I was trying to make, he would dissuade me with how impossible it is and telling me what I need to do. SO- I just decided not to talk to him about it this time.

Oh and his ex-wife who recently lost weight and is very sensitive about her weight refers to me as "your fat wife". Which is fine, because even now, I love myself and my body- if that is the worst she can call me, awesome :) But I was not thrilled when sd7 asked if she can call me "her chubby cupcake." lol I know she said it out of love so I just smiled & gave her a hug.

But for the past 24 days I have been religiously recording what I eat and exercising daily. I definitely feel like my mindset has changed and that I will be successful and stick with it now. My exercise time is not negotiable- if that means the dishes don't get done or my laundry isn't folded- Oh well!

I am doing basically what I have always done- tracking eating, carefully measuring my food, and exercise (I use Loseit) both with an app and in a notebook- but this time I am much more liberal with what I "allow" myself to eat- ANYTHING as long as I account for the calories.

We bought a stationary bike last year- which is probably the only reason I didn't gain back even MORE, though I only was using it intermittently and not watching my food intake.

I feel like I can do this forever, because I am not restricting myself. If I want something, I eat it- I just have account for the calories. And I find when I am looking at the calories, a lot of foods I was eating just aren't worth it! Grande Mochas are like 500 calories! I can have a whole meal and a piece of chocolate and be happier!!

I have lost 13lbs and I feel so much better already. My range of motion has increased, I am less winded when walking up the stairs, etc.

On one hand, it is easy this time because I know how straightforward and easy it can be... OTOH I get frustrated that I have to lose weight that I already lost once.

I just tell myself I cannot change the mistakes I made, I can only look forward and make better choices now.

I focus on ONE pound at a time.

carter
02-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Well I am still waiting for that whoosh. I did not have a flawless weekend, it is true - I overate Friday evening. But still, it would have been nice to see the whoosh that I KNOW is coming. I am just going to keep at it. I'm telling myself all the things I tell other people on the board when they worry about apparent stalls. :crazy:

IonMoon - you said a couple things that especially resonate for me. First, about losing weight you have already lost once - that is why I created this regainers/relosers thread. I think there is a particular kind of frustration that we face. We have to look out for getting mad at ourselves, or at least channel that anger in a productive way.

Also, I have been finding that patience comes with even more difficulty than it did the first time around. I was never a patient person but I learned a lot about patience from my weight loss process. Now that I am stuck here 20 pounds above my maintenance range I am finding myself very impatient again.

The other thing you mentioned is about good choices becoming easier to make when you are counting calories too. This was almost revelatory for me the first time around. I never cut out alcohol, for example, but when I weighed the calorie-cost of a drink versus whatever food was served with it, the drink was almost never worth it. I went months without having a drink at all.

Lnoelparis
02-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Hello!

I belonged to the 100 lb club a couple of years ago and while I was posting, I got great support and lost 40 lbs! I fell away from this board and regained the majority of the weight. Now I want to go back where I left off and restart in earnest! I saw this regainers' post and thought it would be good to post here too. I am copy/pasting part of this from the daily weigh in post for February too. I am happy to be back and ready to get this going again! :)

So I got down to 187 about two years ago and maintained it for a year, but some setbacks at work happened and I got very depressed and gained all 30+ pounds back. I was so miserable and crying all the time. I didn't care about anything - just depressed. Gaining the weight back only added to my depression.

It took a lot of courage to get out of the situation and for my sanity, my husband and I decided to make a huge life change and move to Turkey in May. So here I am in Turkey - I don't have to work, my husband works from home and I can spend time with him and my kids and just dedicate myself to getting better!

Now that we are settled in for the most part and our container arrived with all my exercise equipment, I can get started again! I have my own gym downstairs (treadmill, weights, tv, Wii, stereo) and time to use them- really, I have no excuses AT ALL! I have eaten all the great Turkish food and desserts the last couple of months being here, that I am pretty sure, I wont miss eating them for a couple of months while I work on my health.

Whew! Ok, so now that I am caught up, I can tell you how I plan to work this weight off!

1. Weigh myself daily - Good thing I have always been a daily weigher. Its funny, I have been doing it so long I know my weight before I even get on the scale!
2. Check in daily - Checking in with this group has always helped me remember that we all struggle daily and it feels so good to give and get support! And it keeps me accountable too!
3. Diet changes - Last time I gave up sugar, sweetners, salt, and kept my diet low carb. I ate a lot of good food, 6 times a day, and felt satisfied not hungry. I am going to do this again because I know it works!
4. Exercise - I forgot how great exercise feels! I have been working out (walking/running) for 20 minutes a day for the last week and already my mood has changed! I feel so good afterward! I kept good records about how much I worked out and for how long, the last time I did this, that I know how fast I was able to build stamina. I am looking forward to reaching those goals again!

And thats it! That is how I am going to accomplish my goal. I was thinking of updating my ticker but I think this is a good first goal to look forward to! Here is a snapshot of what my weigh ins have been since I decided to start this journey again:

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 221.6
Thursday, February 6, 2014 220.6
Friday, February 7, 2014 220
Saturday, February 8, 2014 220.6
Sunday, February 9, 2014 220.6
Monday, February 10, 2014 218.6

Thanks for listening! I am happy to be here and I look forward to our shared successes!

Peace,
Leah

thistoo
02-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Well, I suppose I should stop putting it off and say hi to everyone again. Many of you are familiar, and while I'm sorry to see that you still need this thread, it's comforting to know it's here for those of us who just keep falling down.

The last time I was here was nearly a year ago, I'm pretty sure. Since then I've continued to struggle, to the point where I finally went to the doctor and saw my original starting weight on their scale. I did not burst into tears, to my credit, but after a humiliating appointment/lecture about diets (like I don't already know how it's *supposed* to work) I decided that I didn't want to be that weight for the rest of my life, so here I am.

Since then I'm down about 10 pounds, but every single one has been a fight. I'm continuing to really struggle, not with staying on plan so much, but with getting my weight to go down at all. It shouldn't be so hard, considering how much I have to lose, but that's the way my body's always worked, so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, I'm back, no excuses, just back. I'm so sorry to everyone who's having a rough time with life right now. Hopefully we can all support each other and see some real progress this time around.

IonMoon
02-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Glad I could be an inspiration Carter :)

One thing I have done is in my journal where I log my eating and exercise and progress, I have a few new sections including reasons I am doing this like: can't fit comfortable in my dining room chairs, chafing, don't want to end up a burden to my kids, etc.
& Inspirational Quotes.

I am impatient, too! But I try to look at it as a positive- it feels so good when you are losing and you reach your goals, notice the changes in your body. I get to do that all over again :) And since I did this before, I know that the patience pays off.

I KNOW now that I CAN do this... my challenge I think is going to be maintaining once I am done.

Slashnl
02-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Had a good loss last week, down 2.6. The week before was a very slight gain, so I was hoping for a little redemption. I also started our weight loss challenge here at work. So, for the next 7 weeks, I have to be really, really focused. There is a lot of money at risk, and I want to win it!!

I went back in my records to see where I was before I started regaining. Looks like 253 is the magical number. So, quite a ways to go before I start losing new weight. One step at a time!

Welcome to all new posters! Glad you're joining us!

carter
02-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Good morning folks :coffee2:

Since then I'm down about 10 pounds, but every single one has been a fight. I'm continuing to really struggle, not with staying on plan so much, but with getting my weight to go down at all. It shouldn't be so hard, considering how much I have to lose, but that's the way my body's always worked, so I'm not surprised.

thistoo, being a slow loser takes a special kind of patience doesn't it? What kind of plan do you follow? Some slow losers say lowering carb intake helps speed up the loss. I haven't experimented with low carb myself since 2004 and I'm not recommending this, just noting that it's a thing I've heard people mention in connection with speeding up slow loss.

I've occasionally thought of experimenting with it. But, I'm not prepared to commit to it for 2-3 months, which is what I would have to do to both develop new routines around the change and determine whether it affected my rate of loss and overall wellbeing.

Anyway, today I did finally see a loss below that number I first saw almost 4 weeks ago. I'm pleased. I am not always patient but I did stick to my plan and that is what matters.

thistoo
02-11-2014, 11:01 AM
thistoo, being a slow loser takes a special kind of patience doesn't it? What kind of plan do you follow? Some slow losers say lowering carb intake helps speed up the loss.

It does take patience indeed! I'm on basically the no-carb diet. No sugar, no grains, no dairy, no alcohol, no legumes, no artificial sweeteners, extremely limited fruit. Meat and vegetables with nuts for snacking, for the most part. It's very strict paleo, though I have been breaking the rules with half and half in my coffee and the occasional glass of wine, mostly because it wasn't making that much difference either way if I was super strict.

My weight loss continues to inch along at a snail's pace in spite of cutting out everything, so who knows what my body's doing. I've always lost slowly, but this is ridiculous.

Congratulations on your loss, Carter! That's great. I hope everyone else is doing well. I'm stuck at the same weight I've been at for almost a week now. I'd say I'm hoping for a whoosh, but I don't have those, so.

Slashnl
02-11-2014, 12:08 PM
I missed going to the gym yesterday. I have a cold and I'm really congested. Mondays are my spin class day, so I decided to not go. I went back today for body pump. It really feels better to be there, even though I was breathing through my mouth the whole time. I love working out. I just feel so much better.

I had someone mention that they could tell I've lost some weight. I don't know if she said it because she knows I've been trying to, but it was nice to hear anyway. I do feel a little difference with just the 10 pounds.

But, slow weight loss... me too. Just have to keep trying. There really aren't any other good options!!

Judy Lynn
02-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Diane, that really takes dedication to go to the gym when you aren't feeling well. I am just getting back into exercise. My fitness is at about a zero. 15 minutes on the treadmill is all I can manage, but at least it's a start.

I am feeling so much better already. Mostly mentally, but also physically a bit. I am just so darned happy to be back on the road to health. What a lift losing a few pounds gives me!

Have a great day!

triptriptrip
02-11-2014, 09:48 PM
I guess I'll just jump right in and say hello.
I tend to disappear a lot because I'm a full-time student and the little free time I have is spent catching up on my shows. I had been coming on here a lot and got down to 187, but my visit home lasted about a month and totally derailed me. I just can't stand being in plus-sizes anymore! I want to get back into my size 11 pants (I have really large hips) and be able to shop for cute clothes online. This time, I've set more fitness goals for myself and am trying to keep my portions smaller. My new years resolution was to eat slower, and it's been helping so far.

Being back in the 180s is my Spring break goal. It's only 5 weeks away, but it's good to shoot for the stars, right?

shishkeberry
02-12-2014, 12:37 AM
I guess this is where I need to be! Hello everyone, another regainer here. In 2011 I lost quite a bit of weight (went from 289-225) and I was doing really well. But I quit smoking that fall and my weight loss slowed to a crawl. It took me 15 months to lose 15lb. I got down to my lowest adult weight of 205 and then I don't know what happened. I got seriously depressed. I still am, but I'm taking an anti-depressant and I'm in therapy.

Anyway, Ive had a serious bingeing problem for a year. I gained back nearly 40lb. I need to stop this now before it gets any worse. I need some accountability. I need to come back to this forum again. I spent a lot of time here in 2011 and I know it was a huge part of my success.

LilMissBee
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
I belong here... I lost about 40 pounds a few years ago on here by a different name... but then I started school and moved and got into a relationship and got complacent... Gained it all back plus ten pounds. Broke up with the dope and I'm sick and tired of my weight. My best friend and I are working together. I'm not really following any particular plan or counting calories. Just cutting back portions, limiting carbs, and working out. I've lost 5 pounds so far, and I'm about a week in. I'm doing it this time. I'm possibly going to meet somebody in August and I want to feel confident when I do, cause I kinda have a crush on him LOL. He's seen pictures of me, I'm not losing weight because I don't think he likes me the way I am, it's for me... to feel good about visiting. I hope to lose 60 pounds by August which is fairly ambitious, but as long as a lose, I'm not going to beat myself up.

Slashnl
02-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Welcome to triptriptrip, shishkeberry, and lilmissbee! Glad you are joining us! Certainly wish that no one fit this category of having to re-lose, but that's how it goes!!

I'm still feeling the effects of this cold, and I'm sounding pretty darn bad today, but I went to spin class anyway. It's funny, I didn't have trouble while spinning, just a little congestion, but now at work, I'm coughing. Ugh. But I keep reminding myself that this weight loss contest at work is only 7 weeks, so I need to keep going! I want to win the money!!!

thistoo
02-12-2014, 01:20 PM
it's good to shoot for the stars, right?

Indeed it is! I'm doing the same myself. I'd love to be back in onederland by my vacation at the end of April, but at the rate I'm (not) losing, it's not looking great. Still, it's good to have a goal to work toward. You've got youth on your side, so you've got a better shot than me. :) And we're in the right place to keep our motivation strong.

shishkeberry
02-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the welcome! I want to say that I have something to be proud of today. My DH brought home McDonald's breakfast sandwiches for the family and I haven't touched any of them. I stuck to coffee. I plan on having a huge salad for lunch.

carter
02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Hello folks. Good to see everyone. Welcome back, shishkeberry.

Here is a question for those of you who have talked about slow weight loss: Just so we have our terminology on the same page, what do you mean by slow?

There are certainly folks on 3FC who lose an average of a pound or two a month - that is what I mean when I say "slow loss" - say, less than three pounds a month on average.

Lots of people have skewed expectations about how fast weight loss "should" be - I have seen folks on 3FC refer to averaging a pound a week as "slow" losses, though they are quickly assured by others that a pound a week is a very nice rate of loss.

I often put it this way: If you gained 50 pounds in a year, wouldn't you be horrified at putting on so much weight so quickly? Well, losing 50 pounds in a year isn't any less remarkable.

That's just my thought for the day. :dizzy:

LilMissBee
02-12-2014, 05:41 PM
My expectations of weightloss are different depending where I'm at in my process. I know my body... at this weight, taking off 20 pounds is absolutely nothing... the smaller I get the harder it is. Right now I'm just starting, so 2 or 3 pounds a week is average for me. But I know that once I get into Onederland it's going to be waaaay slower... 5 pounds a month or so would be phenomenal.

thistoo
02-12-2014, 08:49 PM
For me, 'slow' means down two, up one, down one, up half, down one, up two, for an average of around 3 pounds down a month.

shishkeberry
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
I agree, slow weight loss is 3 or less pounds a month. I'm ok with slow weight loss at this point. It's tons better than the slow gaining I've been doing. I just started again this week so I know I'm going to see a quick loss just from the water weight. I've already lost 3.

Slashnl
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I often put it this way: If you gained 50 pounds in a year, wouldn't you be horrified at putting on so much weight so quickly?

That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately, when you are in the regaining process, you are probably not keeping track of your weight. It would be interesting to know how slowly you gain weight. Unless you are just really overeating and absolutely no activity, I would think it might take some time. And, if you're not keeping track, you aren't as anxious to see movement on the scale, so you're not obsessed with how slowly it is happening. If that makes sense....

Makes me wish I would have weighed anyway, even though I was not on track. I would hope that had I made myself face the weight gain, I would have reacted more quickly and got back on track faster.

Sigh. That was more depressing than I wanted it to be.

triptriptrip
02-14-2014, 01:41 AM
I've lost only about a pound in the last month. Pretty slow. When I was at 215, it was easy to get to 205, but 204 is just sitting there. Realistically, I think I can only get down to maybe 195 in 5 weeks. Then again, maybe this plateau will mean that a pretty epic drop is coming my way. The only place I really want to see the weight loss is in my face. My dad's 50th birthday and 1st wedding anniversary are going to happen in 5 weeks (yeah, they're the same day) and I would really like to be in the pictures.

carter
02-14-2014, 07:56 AM

triptriptrip, I hope you will be in the pictures even if your face isn't exactly where you want it to be. Being different from your ideal doesn't negate you as a person or erase your presence at milestone events. Wouldn't your dad want you in the pictures?

You do remind me, though, my brother is getting married in April and I need to figure out what I am wearing. Even though I have been at this weight or lower for two and a half years, I am still not completely sure how to dress myself. :crazy:

Good to hear everyone's thoughts on slow weight loss - I think we are all on the same page. Good luck and good patience to everyone who struggles with it. For most of my process I averaged about 5 pounds a month - in fits and starts, though, not in a nice straight line. Then the last 20 - the ones I am trying to relose now - were a lot slower. And I had to start working harder - shaving even more calories from my regular plan, working out harder.

Anyway, I'm coming into two weeks at home all by myself, which is always challenging for staying on plan. Nobody in my household is the food police, and yet there is a measure of embarrassment or pride that helps keep me on track when I'm not alone.

Slashnl
02-14-2014, 01:37 PM
TripTripTrip, I agree with Carter. Make sure that you don't hold back on the pictures, even if you aren't where you want to be!

Not much going on with me. Just glad to have it be Friday!

triptriptrip
02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
I got the CUTEST dress from ASOS today. I think I will wear it for my dad's party which is in exactly 4 weeks. It lets out around the lower tummy area and is so flattering. It's amazing how confident a good piece of clothing can make you.

goal4agirl
02-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Good morning, I wanted to check in and say I'm still here ;)
I was in the hospital a week but I'm back and feeling much better. I have Crohns Disease and had complications from that. I am once again put back on high doses of prednisone <blah>.
I have got back to the gym and also had to go on a low residue diet because of my disease. I weighed this morning and I had indeed lost more weight. Even though the prednisone makes me feel as if I could eat the corner off the table, I am fighting it. I am keeping myself distracted as much as possible away from that kitchen. You can lose weight on this medication, but it takes extreme will power. I guess my determination to get back under 200 pounds is the goal for now.
I've noticed working out at the gym makes me feel wonderful. I have more energy during the day and I sleep much better at night.
So for now I'm still here working the problem and enjoying each and every day that I'm up and healthy and living my life.
Have a great week everybody!

LaurieDawn
02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Having trouble committing and sticking to my commitment. I did so well until I picked up another part-time job. The job only took a week, but it completely threw me off.

Tracking food starting today. I hate it, but I will do it. And totally back in the gym as well.

thistoo
02-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Hello! I have been slacking on posting this weekend. I also tried an experiment, since my weight has been staying put for awhile, to see if adding some grains (no wheat) and eating a little higher calorie would make a difference. Alas, I am up four pounds this morning.

So it's back to super strict, hungry all the time, no grains at all dieting for me. Most of the time I don't really mind, but some days it gets hard. Oh well, nothing to do but keep moving forward. I know some of this four pounds is water retention from adding more carbs to my diet, but history tells me it won't all come off quickly. Less learned!

Slashnl
02-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Triptriptrip: Glad you have a great dress! When you feel good in something, it makes all the difference!

Goal4agirl: Sorry to hear you were so sick! It sounds like you have a great mindset for losing weight though. That's a great thing!

LaurieDawn: You can do it! Just do one day at a time and before too long, you'll be back on track.

thistoo: You know, it was worth a try. I understand why you took the chance. I hope you can rebound quickly. I hate having to learn lessons!!! Why can't this just be easy?

As for me, I lost .4 lbs. I shouldn't be unhappy about that, but jeez! When you work out as much as I have and have tracked all of your calories, it should fall off. I have to remember that my weight loss has never been linear, and I need to keep going with it. Maybe by next week, the weight loss will catch up with my effort!! It just irks me that it isn't lower. I can't see where I might have slipped up with food and I know I went to the gym 5 days. Oh well. I have to take my own advice and take it one day at a time, and keep moving foward. There aren't any other options.

thistoo
02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Diane, I totally understand your frustration. .4 *is* a victory, but when you're working so hard, it's hard to make it feel like one.

I'm down 2 pounds this morning, so the water weight is going. Of course TOM is looming, which will further stall things. I'm trying to be patient, but that's never been my strength. Still, I learned the hard way what happens when I don't stick with my plan, and I have no wish to go back up to my highest weight ever again, so I'll stick with it.

LebenAlles
02-18-2014, 01:12 PM
LaurieDawn Hey! Glad to see you on here again. Glad to be back myself, actually. I totally understand about life throwing circumstance after circumstance that seems to suck the will to lose weight right out of you. I'm right there with you on that.

I apparently decided to take another week to fully decide that I was ready to get back into this. I restarted Paleo yesterday at 236.8 (gasp, I passed my *You Shall Not Pass* weight) but I'm down to 235.6 again this morning, so it's all good.

I'm feeling the 'Carb Flu' today after only a day of not going nuts with carbs, sugar, and processed crap. Oh and no coffee. That hasn't been fun. Everyone at work is keeping a mile radius away from me, for sure. But I will persevere...mainly because summer is just around the corner and it gets HOT down here. Can't keep wearing my leggings, sweaters, and boots that hide everything.

Hope everyone is doing well today. Hang in there!

Slashnl
02-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Not much going on with me today. Just checking in.

thistoo: Nice loss!!! Good for you!

LebenAlles: Congrats on surviving the first couple of days of recommitment. How you can go without coffee is beyond me. Good for you! I drink it black, so I justify being able to keep it as a part of my life! :)

LaurieDawn
02-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Day 1 a success! Undertaking Day 2. In November, December, and January, I took a no-scale, not-completely-strict approach. It worked, and I lost ten pounds. But a few not-plan weeks equaled a ten-pound regain. And I am telling myself that I am just relieved that I didn't spend Nov., Dec., and Jan. eating that way or I would be back up to my starting weight. ;-)

thistoo - I so get that. It's so good to shake things up and try new things. The gain won't last, but the knowledge will. And this is something that you have to figure out for life. So - yay you!

Slashnl - Thanks for the support. That's why I need 3FC.

LebenAlles - Carb flu - YUCK. Glad it's temporary, and you have enough experience to recognize it's temporary. Just get through it, and then you're on the other side of it, right?

Deep breath. I'm ready to make this next month one of determined weight loss. I don't have to do it the following month. I know a more relaxed approach can work. But for now - this is it. I really want to be back down into the 2-teens.

carter
02-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi folks. :coffee:

It's been a rough couple of days, plan-wise. I have managed to avoid veering widely off-plan - no enormous planned binges of the kind I've been struggling against over the past year or so - but, I have been eating more than I'd like to and my weight has bounced back up into the high 170s. I keep thinking my period is coming which would explain a whole lot of things that don't feel right just now. So, any day now. :dizzy:

LaurieDawn, I understand about wanting to buckle down for a little while. For a long chunk of my weight loss process - maybe between 275 and 180 or so, I did not strictly calorie count every day. I did a couple of days every month as a sort of sanity check, and the rest of the time just tried to stick to sensible decisions and portion sizes. It worked pretty well until I got to a low enough weight where the margin for error was very slim.

LebenAlles and slashnl - another black coffee drinker here. :coffee2: I was not for a long, long time. When I first started my weight loss process I thought that whole milk in my coffee was one of those non-negotiables. As I got to lower and lower weights, though, I had to look for places where I could cut calories out of my day, and ditching the milk to save 150 or so was too obvious not to try. It took me a week or two but not longer than that - I came to like the taste of black coffee. It is important, however, that it be quality coffee. Crappy coffee still needs milk to take out the bitterness.

Slashnl
02-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Better day today for me. Yesterday I didn't go to the gym because I just lost so much sleep overnight. I am having a few struggles with my 19 year old daughter. She isn't completely out of control or doing horrible things, but she is having trouble getting back home at a reasonable time. Since she is in college now, she thinks that she doesn't need any restrictions, so we battle. The thing is that I have given her more freedom, but it is still my house, and I need my sleep, so her staying out late does not help me. If I wake up overnight, I have trouble getting back to sleep. I so wish she were in an apartment, but she can't afford it. So, I suffer.

Anyway, I went to Spin class today and had a full night's sleep last night. I might live now. :)

LaurieDawn: You can do this! One day at a time! You have a good attitude, so keep it up!

Carter: Hang in there. It gets tough some days, doesn't it? But you can do it!! Stay strong!

LebenAlles
02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Hey All,

Day 3 of the wretched carbflu and absence of caffeine. My partner and I are doing this together which is good for the commiseration but also bad because we're both a sad sight, dragging ourselves through our daily business. She was a little more caffeine dependent than I, so that part has had more of a toll on her. I'm busy fighting the sugar monsters in my head. We went to bed at 8:45 last night, completely willingly, and while it helped, I'm still exhausted today. I can't (but can) believe that the things I was consuming had such an effect on my body! It's like I'm coming off of drugs..and that's not downplaying that struggle at all, as I know that ultimately drug addiction is far worse...but it's even been proven in studies that rats addicted to cocaine will switch to sugar water when given the choice between the two. Sugar should be a controlled substance...seriously.

I didn't lose anything this morning but I'm trying to remind myself that it's not going to just all fall off at once. Just gotta keep on keepin on.

Anywho, carter and slashnl, I'm mainly stopping the caffeine because of a recent development of kidney stones. Caffeine is supposed to be a major factor in such things, supposedly. That and I'm trying to train my body to use fat for fuel instead of the 'fake fuels' like caffeine, sugar, and crappy carbs. Bleh. No fun.

Carter I know that my TOM always has me wanting to binge and has me gain either way, so I feel ya on that. Oh the joys of womanhood, aye?

LaurieDawn I'm with you on needing to be strict and committed for at least a month. I know that cheat days can be good but I need some good old fashioned discipline for awhile, for sure. Cheat days turn into weeks for me and I just get that much more behind.

Stay strong and carry on, everyone!

allisonm
02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Hey guys, I hope youre all doing well.
I got some full nights of sleep and ate some more protein and higher calories for a few days and my body started to finally let go of some weight. :carrot: I'm down 11 pounds since 1/20 when I started.
I decided that I'm just going to keep going with this and not get discouraged by my daily ups and downs.

All you can do is to do well today.

Slashnl
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
AllisonM: Good job on the loss! I think that sometimes you just need to shake things up a little bit. We don't want our bodies to get too comfortable with what we're doing.

I got on the scale this morning for a quick look to see how the week is going. I hope it holds out, because it looked like a good loss to record on Monday's official weigh in. Just have to keep going and stay focused.

I've been really trying hard to keep track of calories with MyFitnessPal, especially during this weight loss challenge I'm in. I don't know if I have a good chance at winning the challenge. There are some women involved who started up their weight loss plan at the same time as the challenge started. So, they've had some good losses, even if it is just the initial burst. I don't know if I can lose enough to have a greater percentage loss than they do. Some are smaller, so their loss doesn't have to be as much for the same percentage. But, it has been a good competition because I am remaining focused.

Overthinking it much? Yep!

Terra1984
02-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi Guys&Gals,

Im new to this thread. When I joined this forum I was 294 and now Im 292 from 300, I got up to 300 cause after awhile of dieting and working out I started getting lazy and I just stopped everything all together after awhile but on Jan. 16th of this year I started working out and dieting again and I've lost 8 pounds so far. I was always skinny as a kid, I didnt start gaining weight until after high school, While I was in high school I maintained a 120 pound weight all 4 years, Since I didnt have P.E.to do after high school to keep me in shape I just started eating fast food alot and I wasnt in sports prior to high school so I didnt have that to fall back on either so I just didnt know what to do when I graduated high school in 2003 so I just didnt do anything and thats how the weight started piling on. I started gaining weight from May of 2003 until Jan. 16th this year, So it took me 11 years to get to 300 pounds and I know its gonna probably be just as long to get to my goal weight of 150, I know it didnt come on fast and I know its not gonna come off fast. Anyway I look forward to getting to know all of you.

LaurieDawn
02-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Another day. Another day in the books as adhering to the plan. It's such a blessing. And with spring coming, it will get easier.

I keep Miracle noodles around for days when I am just desperate. I don't particularly enjoy them, but zero calories and that full feeling? Sometimes I just need it. I have eaten them two days in a row. This is tough sometimes.

Slashnl - I was invited to do a weight loss challenge, but I would have to wait a week to start. I almost waited because that initial burst would have been so helpful. But I decided that I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. I agree so much - it's not about winning the challenge, but using the challenge as a tool.

Allison - 11 pounds in a month. That's phenomenal! Good work.

LebenAlles - I hear you on the fighting through it. Your physical symptoms sound worse than mine, but by yesterday evening, I was ready to chew my leg off to make that hungry feeling go away. I can't imagine trying to keep it up for life if it doesn't get better. But it always does when we persist, doesn't it? =)

Carter - TOM. Such a mixed blessing. Every month, it's a rush of thoughts. 1 - So glad I'm not pregnant. (Even though it's not biologically possible, given my activities right now.) 2- The absolute starving days are going away. 3 - Looking forward to a loss on the scale (when I weigh daily). 4 - Not to be blasphemous, but is this constant bleeding for days thing really the best design here? Hope yours comes soon.

Terra - Welcome! It's definitely a long-term journey!

LilMissBee
02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Hello fellow regainers/relosers!!! Guess what?!! I just lost my first ten pounds. Whoop whoop!!!

Next ten coming up...

thistoo
02-20-2014, 05:17 PM
How you can go without coffee is beyond me. Good for you! I drink it black, so I justify being able to keep it as a part of my life! :)

Same here. I'm Paleo too, and while I enjoy coffee much more with half-and-half, if the choice is no coffee or black coffee, I'll drink it black and be glad about it!

I keep forgetting to check in here, but I've actually managed to stick with it anyway. TOM started today, so I won't see any loss for about a week, but hopefully I'll see a loss once it's over.

The down side, of course, is how much hungrier I am during TOM. Oh well. I'll get through it. Hunger's not going to kill me, after all.

triptriptrip
02-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Welcome, Terra! Weight loss is a long journey, but the slow weight loss is more sustainable and less likely to leave you with excess skin. One of my close friend was about 300 and is now 180 with a lot of loose skin because he lost almost all of it in about a year.

LaurieDawn, Why don't you just try some buckwheat noodles. They have calories, but tons of fiber and will keep you feeling fuller a lot longer.

Slashnl, I totally avoided the scale for a few days and saw a great number today. I hope it sticks for both of us!!

Congrats alisonm! that's a pretty amazing loss. Ups and downs are totally normal and I know that I was up about 2 pounds the other day and just went down 3. Every day is so different.

carter
02-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Hello everyone :coffee:

I'm heading into a weekend visiting my folks so it's going to be some travel, a few meals out, and probably a few martinis (I need help to stay magnanimous with my mom :dizzy:).

LaurieDawn: When it comes to periods, your no.1 is high on the list of reasons I am so glad to be gay. ;) I am with you on 2-4 in every way. I just have to hang on through the nibbles, the poor sleep, and the weepiness, and with any luck I'll be rewarded with a bit of a whoosh after it's all over.

Terra - Hello there and welcome :) I like your attitude about patience. So many people let themselves be held back by the perception that weight loss will take too long. My feeling is the time is going to pass one way or other other. So may as well spend the time losing. It took me about 2 years to lose my first 100 pounds. Best 2 years I ever spent.

thistoo - Good job sticking with it. I sometimes find that if I am genuinely hungry, I'll make a conscious choice to go over my calories by a bit as long as it's protein-dense, nutrient-dense food. Eating an extra 200 calories on a day my body really seems to need it isn't going to slow me down in the long run.

LilMissBee and allisonm - GREAT job on the losses. Stick to it.

slashnl - Good luck with the challenge. Do you have a competitive streak that makes you stubborn about doing well in that kind of thing? I hope the loss holds up for you.

LebenAlles - How is the carb-flu and caffeine withdrawal going? I hope you and your partner feel a little better going into the weekend.

I've been thinking about some regainer/reloser-focused questions to throw out so we can have some discussions on the topic. If you've got any ideas, toss them in!

Terra1984
02-21-2014, 10:43 AM
triptriptrip ~ Does that happen to all people that start at 300? I've always been afraid and worried about having excess skin when I finally lose my weight.

carter ~ Im glad to hear you like my attitude about patience.

I walked last night and Im gonna do my best to walk this morning and then walk again later on tonight before bed, I would walk at 2:30 pm today but we have to go somewhere at that time so I wont be getting my 3 walks in today but at least I'll get 2 in.

LebenAlles
02-21-2014, 11:18 AM
carter - I feel like the carb flu/caffeine thing is getting better, though last nights sleep was interrupted by a wicked electric storm that kept us awake for a good hour, along with the cat :). I think getting good rest this weekend will make a world of difference, for sure.

LaurieDawn - It might be that my work schedule has gone to extended schedules and I'm too tired to care, but I've actually been doing well with the cravings. I think the biggest thing that ticks me off is that I'm so addicted to food that causes such crappy withdrawals. WTF.

Congrats to everyone's losses this week! I lost another .6 this morning so I'm happy with that. Creep creepin along...

How about this for a focus topic: I feel like stress is (obviously) one of the leading reasons that people end up regaining. Situational Stress, Health Issues, or even the pressure of continuing to lose. What are some ways that you are planning on avoiding stress related binges this time around?

allisonm
02-21-2014, 11:20 AM
good luck with your mom, carter! i did that last weekend ;)

goal4agirl
02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Hello everyone~ just checking in again. I have been working at the gym, staying on my food plan- all while taking high doses of prednisone for the Crohns. I'm still losing weight. It makes me crazy hungry, but I'm fighting it. I have to keep my mind off of food.
This is my first time ever staying consistant with the gym. I can already tell a difference. I noticed my legs are more toned. So I'm going to just keep on keeping on. Have a good week end everyone!

Slashnl
02-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi all! Active thread today!!

Went to Spin this morning. It seemed really hard. I don't know if it is just because it is the end of the week, or if it is because I missed Body Pump the day before. Anyway, on to the weekend. I'm hoping that I can get a good weights workout in tomorrow, and then nothing on Sunday. Then, I'll be ready for the Monday weigh in. I hope!

All of this talk of TOM... now I'm facing it, too. I'm at a little different stage of life. It usually is no big deal for me. But I'm 50 and getting to the inconsistent TOM. It normally is very easy and there seems to be more and more time in between.

Carter: Hope you have a good weekend! Enjoy! Gotta have a little indulgence! As for my competitive side, yep... that's what is helping right now. I am up against some younger women (and some older ones, too), but I am not giving up. I hope to be at the top, so it keeps me on track.

LebenAlles: I don't think stress causes me to binge. I'm sure it does for some, but stress sometimes makes me very apathetic about working out and staying on plan. I hope to use working out as a stress reliever. And hopefully, the bad times from before won't come back!

Terra: 2 walks is better than none!!!

Triptriptrip: Hope you see a good loss! Will you be moving into onederland??

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm looking forward to the nice weather we are supposed to have here!

LebenAlles
02-22-2014, 05:56 PM
233.2 this morning :) First weekend back in the groove and I'm feelin' good. J and I are getting ready to do our week 'cookup' where we cut up and prepare veggies, meats, spices and such for the week. Makes it so much easier with a long work schedule.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday!

Terra1984
02-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Diane ~ Yeah thats true, 2 is better the none

Im getting ready to walk before bed and then I'll have tomorrow off, I always take Sunday's off to just relax, I hope everyone has a great night.

Slashnl
02-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi all. Just checking in. Having a tough day with my "I'm starving" feeling today. I'm trying to just stay busy and on track.

carter
02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Hello folks.

I survived the weekend, overate a little but nothing thoroughly out of control, bought something to wear to my brother's wedding and managed to let my mother's "joking" complaints about me not being girly enough go in one ear and out the other. :rolleyes: I'm nearly 42 years old; I wish she would learn that it is really not intended to be a personal affront to her that I am not comfortable wearing a dress, or pumps, or makeup.

How about this for a focus topic: I feel like stress is (obviously) one of the leading reasons that people end up regaining. Situational Stress, Health Issues, or even the pressure of continuing to lose. What are some ways that you are planning on avoiding stress related binges this time around?

This is a very good topic. My entire regain was due to binging that became more and more frequent - my mealtime eating remained fairly well on plan, and my exercise was nearly on track was well.

I wouldn't describe my binge trigger as stress, but it's a related feeling. It's a desire to numb myself, to allow myself to be mindless for a while, when so many aspects of my life seem to require control and focus and discipline.

I mentioned upthread (um, probably more than once) that a woman I was seeing and really, really liked broke up with me in January. For many people (and I would have expected to count myself among them) that would have been a binge trigger. But I had an almost defiant need NOT to let it be a binge trigger. I might have cried every day for a month, but damned if I was going to be that woman who cries into a pint of ice cream! :dizzy: So amazingly, getting dumped seems to have mostly ended the binge behaviors I was struggling with, rather than triggering more.

To be honest I'd rather still have the relationship. ;) But I suppose getting my regain back under control is a reasonable consolation prize.

thistoo
02-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Part of my regain was definitely stress-related. I had a really bad health scare in 2012 and from there things snowballed until I found myself right back at nearly my highest weight ever. I think there's a lot of validity in the way stress affects how our bodies react.

Speaking of weird things our bodies do, something strange happened to me on Friday. I've been off wheat for quite some time, but on Friday I made the conscious decision to get a wrap for lunch. For the rest of the day and then most of Saturday my mouth itched like crazy. I don't know if it was a reaction to the wheat, but that was the only thing I'd done differently, so I'm guessing it was.

That's never happened before, but it definitely convinced me that staying away from wheat is for the best.

Slashnl
02-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi all. Had a great weigh in this morning, so I'm pretty happy today. I just want to give every effort I have to this weight loss challenge at work. I only have until 4/1, so I'm really trying to bring it all! I went to Spin this morning. It was good, but why do people go to a class if they want to chat? Shut the heck up!!! I'm trying to concentrate and listen to the instructor!!!

Carter: Glad you survived the weekend!!

thistoo: Sounds like you better avoid the wheat! At least you know now to avoid it. Funny how allergies work!

carter
02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
:coffee:

Hey folks. I am faltering a little - overeating a bit and struggling to drag myself to the gym. I had a few days of disrupted sleep. It is so interesting how being well-rested is the key to my well-being in so many ways. My mood, my ability to staunch depressive thoughts before they become overwhelming, my discipline, my focus, all become weaker when I haven't slept enough.

I slept better last night and I'm resolved to get back on plan this very moment.

Good luck and good strength to everyone, today.

Slashnl
02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Carter: You can do it! Get back to the gym and back on track with your food. You've done so well that I know you can get this back together. Hopefully getting some good sleep will help. I agree so much with you on that! I know that when I'm not sleeping well, everything seems more difficult and problems/feelings/anxiety are amplified. Keep strong!

Nothing new with me today. I went to Body Pump and increased some of my weights. I feel a little stiff and sore now, but hopefully it helps!

triptriptrip
02-25-2014, 03:33 PM
I had a really long weekend. I had exams and damn, I need to study more. Gave myself a cheat day yesterday and it was wonderful. I am happy to say that I'm back in the 190s. I hope that the 180s won't be too far away. I'd really like to be able to wear the summer clothes I had for last year.

I hope everyone is doing well :)

Slashnl
02-26-2014, 02:14 PM
triptriptrip: Good job on the loss! You'll be sailing right down to the 180's in no time!

Carter: How's it going today?

So, a little unexpected angst for me on this weight loss competition here at work. I thought it would be way more fun than it is. I'm losing, so that's good, but I really don't want to hear from anyone else about it anymore. The one gal asked me for all kinds of advice, assuming that all I eat all day, every day are salads. No.... I just like salads for lunch. They're good, and I can put it together the night before. And then, why do you ask for ideas if you are going to tell me what is wrong with my plan?? Oh, and then there is the other person who has been sick with some kind of stomach virus, so hasn't been able to keep real food down, so she's eating jello and quinoa. And oh the weight she has lost! This has really helped her with the competition. :rolleyes: Seriously? And that is sustainable.... how? I just don't care to hear about it.

Must be a little crabby this morning.

allisonm
02-26-2014, 03:46 PM
slashnl I feel you. I hate office "diet talk". Nobody in my office knows about this because of how much I hate it. I won't be able to keep it a secret long, but still. Everybody has an opinion on how you're doing it wrong. And people think they are the food police. Its bad enough dealing with friends who do that.

carter I never get enough sleep. 4 or 5 hours a night usually. But when I do get enough sleep, every single aspect of my life improves.

carter
02-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Slashnl, what you describe about the office chit-chat is part of the reason I avoided Weight Watchers at work and other similar scenarios. It sounds like a pain! Try to focus on the progress you are making thanks to the challenge, and just nod and smile when folks around you make asinine remarks. :dizzy:

As for how I'm doing - folks, I have to admit that I slid from "faltering" to full-on binge behavior the last two days - my first binges since that breakup (and, interestingly, we have started talking about possibly getting back together and trying again, hm). But whatever the underlying reason for those binges, I'm going to pull myself together. Yesterday I made a post on another thread about my "one choice at a time" tactic and how helpful that is when I am struggling to stay on plan. I'm taking my own advice today.

So I have a plan of action. One choice at a time, "not today," and stay off the scale for about a week (I don't really want to know how much short-term damage I've done).

Good luck and good strength to all.

Slashnl
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the support, all. I need to just ignore the office diet chat. This competition only goes through the end of March, so it won't be that much longer. If there wasn't such good money involved, I probably wouldn't ever do this again. But.... I could use the money!!! So, I'll keep focused and in my own little diet/exercise world.

Went to Body Pump today. It was good. I'm on a good roll with exercise. It feels good to be on track! Now, JUST NEED TO STAY THERE!!

thistoo
02-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Diane, the one time I took part in an office weight loss competition it was a similar headache. But hey, you're still losing! That will hopefully make it a little easier to ignore everyone else's issues.

Carter, good for you for getting the backslide under control. All we can do is keep trying, right?

TOM is finally over for me and I'm down a pound. Not much, but I'm hoping for more tomorrow. I've also started job hunting again, which adds its own stresses to my life, but it also (hopefully) means having to get into interview clothes and feeling confident eventually, so all the more reason to stick with it. I was really down on myself the last time I looked for a new job, so it didn't go well. This time I'm determined to be more comfortable with myself.

LebenAlles
02-28-2014, 11:22 PM
I had a bit of a falter last Saturday, at 11pm after a day of struggling SO HARD against the urge to binge. I finally gave in. The next day, however, I went right back to eating well and barely gained from it. Yesterday, the same thing happened...restricted to one meal. So I've decided to give myself one meal a week for a cheat, on the times that I just feel like I'm going to explode from the cravings. That way, during milder cravings, I can give myself that assurance.

Tonight, I'm having a drink or two, but keeping the snacks low carb/paleo friendly while DP and I are watching the season premiere of Hannibal. Great show, albeit a bit dark.

Carter - I'm proud of you for acknowledging what was going on and making strides to correcting it. I know it's not always that easy and you might slide again, but you WILL get this back under control. You've done it before, so you have it in you...you just have to access it again, some how, some way.

thistoo and triptriptrip - congrats on your losses! keep it up!

I was down to 230.2 this morning. Almost back into the 220's. Very happy about that. 23 lbs til my lowest and 25 til 100 lbs lost. Great things to look forward to.

Waterbunny77
03-01-2014, 04:48 AM
I'm also a regainer. Though I lost 65 lbs. 11 years ago I didn't do bad keeping most of it off until about 1 year ago. Last year was when most of the damage was done. Though I'm being more realistic about losing this time and not expecting to lose as much as I did the last, this board really helps. I'm glad to be here. I know exactly what size clothes I want to wear and therefore that's my goal. Gonna do it! :carrot::carrot:

carter
03-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Good morning :coffee:

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I did stick to my plan yesterday, despite unexpected lunch out and planned dinner out. I also exercised. So: one day binge-free. I am focusing on one choice at a time. Right now I am trying to decide whether I need breakfast now or should delay eating until after an appointment I have this morning. Just sitting here trying to listen to what my body is saying about what it needs.

Welcome to the thread, Waterbunny!

Good luck and good strength everyone.

carter
03-03-2014, 08:23 AM

Following up on myself here - I hope that means everyone was out having too much fun this weekend to bother with posting on the board.

I had a pretty good weekend - foodwise, not flawless, but not awful either. I accomplished a great deal, though I didn't exercise very much. And now it's Monday and I am about to get up and get myself to the gym although I am already running a little late.

Good luck and good strength to all today.

Slashnl
03-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi all. Welcome to Monday!

I had a great weigh-in this morning. I lost 2.8 last week, which puts me down in the 270's now. I'm very happy about that. I had decided last week that I'm going all out for this stupid weight loss challenge. There's just some good money at stake, so I'm going to work extra hard for the next month. I told my family that I will be obsessive about it until 4/1/14, and then I'll quit talking about it all the time. If I don't win, that's ok, but I don't want to look back and regret not trying harder. It's all based on percentage, so I have to get lots of pounds off to get my percentage up, where someone who weighs less now, doesn't have to lose as many pounds to get the same percentage. I realize that they may have as much trouble losing a lower number of pounds, but sometimes it feels like I have the added burden. But, I am giving it my all. I am working out, going to spin class 3 times per week, body pump 2 times per week, and then working on weight machines with my daughter on Saturdays, just trying to help her learn them so that she can keep her trim, fit little 19 year old body. :) And, of course, my favorite.... I'm tracking calories obsessively.

Hey Carter, it sounds like you're definitely moving in the right direction! Good for you! Hope you enjoy the gym today!

Waterbunny: Welcome! I love, love, love your avatar!!! :D

Thedollylala
03-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Ello, joining in, I lost 70lbs but I've put back on 28, ready to lose that and then some. I put it all on in 7 months that's hard for me :( now I must get back on the horse

carter
03-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Hello. :coffee:

Glad you joined us, Thedollylala. Your post in the introductions area got me thinking about how regains often happen when life stresses take energy away from the effort of weight loss.

We can't keep life stresses from happening so we have to figure out a way to keep our weight loss or maintenance on track when they do. What are some strategies and tactics we can use to help?

I'm really not sure; I haven't figured this one out yet. The more we can make our on-plan behaviors into habits, automatic parts of our day, the easier it will be to stick to them when other things get hairy. But despite what the diet books and TV personalities tell you, it takes a lot longer than a month or two to make this happen. I can easily slip back into some of my old patterns after years of mindful eating, planning, and exercising.

What do you all think?

Slashnl
03-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Welcome Thedollylala! Glad you've joined in!

It's so true about stress just overtaking your life and helping you choose poorly. That was where my regain came in, too. 2013 was so rough and I just lost my way. It doesn't help to get away from the exercising and eating on plan, but sometimes you just feel such apathy about those things when the rest of your life is blowing up. If you could fix your mind on keeping on plan and maybe even putting more of yourself into it, you might feel better and deal with things easier. But I know I have trouble choosing that path. It's a mindset that is difficult to change, but I think you have to be able to do it to keep continuous success.

Carter: You're so right that if you could make an automatic part of your day, and not just an option, it would be so much better.

Not sure what the answer is.

Lyn2007
03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
hi guys,

I know I don't post here much anymore, but I still pop in to see how you all are doing.

Re: stresses... I agree, It takes a lifetime. It does help to make the eating and exercise automatic/a habit, and learn different ways to cope aside from food... but yeah, it only takes one weak moment and you are back in a bad mindset. Hopefully those weak moments get fewer are farther between over time.

Slashnl
03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi all!

I am still on track with exercise and food this week, but it is just feeling like a really sluggish week for me. Per my normal routine, I went to Spin on Monday, body pump on Tuesday and Spin today, but I am very aware of my tired legs. I also looked over my food choices to see if there might be an issue. The one thing that is standing out to me is that I've had more V-8 juice this week that normal. I know there is a ton of sodium in it, but I've also looked at the low sodium one and it has a scary list of chemicals in it, so I don't want to go that route. I love the taste of it, but I'm beginning to think that I need to cut it. A friend told me to check out Naked Juice. I'll look at it, but I know it is expensive.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

SummerRuth
03-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi guys. I'm back on this site after being away for quite a bit of time. I've been here under other names but due to changes in my life, I do not use them anymore. I am a married mom of 3 kids (8, 2, and 7 months) who delivered my son weighing at 247 and am now down to 232.1. I am working towards a goal of 175 but my mini-goal is 225

carter
03-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Good morning all. :coffee2:

Well this morning I am down to 173, about three weeks after reaching 174, and given that I had a few days of binge in there, I can't really complain. I'm hoping this loss is part of a whoosh (I tend to lose that way) and that I'll see a little more tomorrow.

I am really focused down to one choice at a time. I find myself thinking about eating off plan (even binging) and I make myself think, not now. Maybe later. Not today, maybe tomorrow. I started to think about setting a goal like "on plan every day until my birthday" (around two months from now) and even then I checked myself and thought "no, carter, just stay on plan today."

These are signs that I am still struggling against a powerful binge impulse and also struggling to find the rhythm of being on plan. But they are also signs that I am mindful of the struggle, and in it, rather than giving in.

Binging is the core of what caused my regain. I need to sort that out.

Slashnl
03-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Welcome SummerRuth! Glad you are joining us!

Carter: I think that is a good approach, taking it one day at a time. I'm glad you got your loss and I hope you get more, too. :)

I'm doing ok. I am staying on plan and continue to exercise and track my calories. But this week doesn't feel as good as last week for some reason. I know I'm doing the right things, but it just is kind of a blah week for me, for some reason.

amandie
03-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Hi all, room for one more???

I've been back for some time but I kind of feel like I don't really belong in the WW forum anymore for some reason. I've been watching this thread for some time now and decided to finally join in!

Slashnl- sorry to hear you're feeling this way. Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon or get outta this funk. Perhaps do something different and fun like a pedicure, massage, hair and/or nails? I don't know, just a thought.

I love your approach- one day at a time. Way to go in your loss, Carter!

Today's weight was 161, eventually I'd like to get to 140 but for now I'll just focus on getting in the 150s.

Slashnl
03-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi Amandie, glad you're joining us!

Doing much better today. I'm not sure what the little black cloud was all about for me the last couple of days. But, I had a talk with a friend of mine and she helped. Then, I went to Spin today and the Friday instructor is really good. He still makes you work hard, but he is much more of an encourager than he is a drill sergeant. It's kind of nice to end the week with a little calmness to the workout... even though you're sweating like crazy! Ha!

Have a good weekend everyone!

SummerRuth
03-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Hi Slash:

Thanks for the welcome. Last time I was active here, I was around 260 and I got down to 231 when I found out I was pregnant with my youngest daughter in 2011 (after separating from my husband) and managed to only gain 16lbs while pregnant. I got remarried last year and we welcomed our son in July. My husband and I started going to the gym in the mornings before class (we're both full-time students); but this past week has been really rough. We lost my father-in-law on Wednesday evening after a month and a half battle with Stage 4 Small-cell Lung Cancer and have been gearing up for my son's visit with the pediatric neurosurgeon in Portland. He's been referred due to having Chiari Malformation at only 7 months old. So this past month and a half has been really rough and we haven't had much time to work out. This week will be different though. I am determined to make it to my goal weight by our 2nd anniversary, which is April 11th 2015.

Slashnl
03-10-2014, 01:02 PM
SummerRuth: Wow. That's a lot to deal with. I hope for the best for you and your son. It's good that you have a good relationship now, so that you can support each other.

I had a good weigh in today. I lost 2.4 pounds. I have been very focused since I'm trying to win the weight loss challenge at work. It ends 4/1, so I need to stay focused after that because I still have a long way to go. It has been feeling good, so I think I can stay strong and committed.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

amandie
03-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Way to go on your 2.4 down, Slashnl!! You can do it, keep staying strong and committed!!!

SummerRuth- wow! That is a lot to deal with. So sorry to hear about your father in law.

I'm currently on my spring break from college so I'll be using this time to get started back up on exercising and some other stuff. So far, so good! I hope everyone had a good weekend..

Let's have a great OP weekend, everyone!

Slashnl
03-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Amandie: Hope you enjoy your spring break. That's always a good thing.

So, I'm adding a new little bit of exercise to my day. I work in a four story office, with a basement, so there are four flights of stairs. I work on the second floor. So, twice a day, I'm going to go up two flights, down all four, and then up two flights. It just about killed me yesterday, so I thought it might be a good thing to add. I hope to get to where I can go down 2, then UP all four, then down 2. That will take awhile. :)

amandie
03-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Slash- Wow, you're awesome. I absolutely loathe going up stairs, my knees pretty much creak every time, haha. Every little bit counts, for sure!

Last night, I did 25 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes today, both on the "hardest" preset workout setting. I'm so proud of myself! I just realized/noticed that my thighs do not rub together any more while "cycling" on the elly, so yay for a mini-NSV. I don't know when I will get around to re-starting 30DS but hopefully sometime this week if I ever find my DVD..

I also finally decided to move away from WW. I definitely credit WW for getting me started on the right track, the skills, habits, and etc. but counting points isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life. I've been sort of doing mindful IE while sort of mentally tallying up calories for a long while now and so far, so good.

Well, I'm off to tidy up the house a bit, laundry and get dinner ready since the BF has dart league tonight. Have a great day, all!

Slashnl
03-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Amandie: Nice! You're doing some great workouts! I think that sometimes we need something like WW to get going on a diet plan, but then if we can find a way to do it on our own, it is a good plan. We have to be able to sustain, that's for sure!

Not much new for me today. Went to spin and I was on a different side of the room than usual. I didn't like it over there.... :) There is this one woman who is always saying stupid stuff like "give us a kick a$$ workout", "we really want to work hard", and "we're doing great!" Ugh... Well, I was right beside her today. Funny thing is that she is such a slacker! She turns down her resistance all the time. What a phony! I don't really care what others do, but she just needs to shut up!

Everyone else doing ok???

amandie
03-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Omg, I finally hit the 150s this am!!! Ooh, I'm so motivated to stay on track and keep going!!! Just wanted to share that with you all.

Lol @ phony slacker in spin class. Guess some people want to look good, wouldn't she crap if the instructor came over to her and looked? Hahaha.

Hope everyone else is doing alright.

Slashnl
03-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Amandie: Congrats on the loss! It's always so much fun to break into a new decade! Good job!

Not much going on with me today. Just went to Body Pump this morning, and then Spin tomorrow. Just chugging along.

amandie
03-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Slash! It sure is exciting. I cannot imagine breaking in the 140s?! :dizzy: What is Body Pump?

Hello and :welcome:, Easily_Amused! Good luck on your re-boot! You can do it!

amandie
03-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Oops, I forgot to talk about me a bit, LOL.

I've got a busy day tomorrow- we are having our annual poker party as well as an early St. Patrick celebration. I'm making my brother a boob cake for the very first time. Making the cake will be easy but frosting is going to be the hardest, ugh! Wish me luck and I will share pictures of the cake if you'd like but it will be NSFW-type of pictures for sure! I'm totally gonna work out today, tomorrow and Sunday to offset the drinks from tomorrow, lol.

Have a great weekend, all!

Slashnl
03-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Oh yay! Someone new is joining us! Welcome EasilyAmused! Just a thought... and I'm no expert... but I think you would be smart to increase your calories. I thought that the BMR was the lowest amount needed for regular activity, and then with working out, too, you may not be getting enough. As I said... no expert! I do think that posting helps, so we'll be looking forward to hearing from you!!

Amandie: How fun! Those will be some great pictures! Sounds like a good time. Body Pump is a class at my gym where you use weights and work all parts of your body. It has a lot of cardio to it because you are doing lots of reps to music. So, it isn't a "heavy lifting" workout, but you do get some strength training in. I like that it hits all of the muscle groups.

Today was Spin class with my favorite instructor. He's so positive! Such a good way to end the week.

Have fun this weekend!

Slashnl
03-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Easily Amused: Nice!!! You have a great start going! Hope you are having a good weekend!

I had a really good workout this morning. I went to spin class which was surprisingly hard. Last week, on Saturday, it was way too easy. But this time, different instructor, it was challenging. Then, I lifted weights with my daughter for awhile. Tomorrow is rest day!

carter
03-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Hey kids. I'm sorry I disappeared for a few days. Last week was nutty, mostly in a good way.

I'm still struggling with binging. Continuing my focus on one choice at a time. I will pull myself back together.

I'll be here this week - posting on this thread each day helps keep me in line. :dizzy:

Slashnl
03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Carter! Glad you're back! You were missed!

Easily Amused: Way to go on your 10K steps streak!

I had a great weigh in today. I lost 3.2. I've been pushing pretty hard and I'll still push hard for the next 2 weeks. I want to make a really good effort for the weight loss challenge I'm in. I'm not really doing anything too drastic as far as my food plan, just counting calories and that usually falls in the range of 1600-1700. But I've been working out pretty hard, so I think that helps. I just want to win the money! And, I'm just not sure how everyone else is doing. Since it is based on percentage, I can't really judge how much I have to lose to be on top.

carter
03-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Hello everyone, and thanks. :coffee: I did manage to stay on plan yesterday. Sticking to that on choice at a time mentality - the only way to deal with binges for me. Not today. Not right now. It's tiring! :dizzy:

Slashnl, the drama is mounting as you come into the home stretch of your competition! I hope you win it. You have been working hard.

LebenAlles
03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Hey guys,

It's been a few weeks since I posted. I'm hanging out at 229 right now, after losing what I'd gained after a couple of binges. I'm trying a new approach by going back to WW (which is what I used the first 25lbs of my overall weight loss) and instead of just eating to fill my points, actually considering the sugar and carbs as well as the points. I feel like this is less strict then what I was doing before, but at the same time still aware and efficient. Hopefully this will help with the whole 'urge to binge' issue.

I found the blog canyoustayfordinner.com and that has really inspired me, especially with the binging. To see someone reach their goals and maintain for so long is encouraging...especially knowing that they still struggle with regains but have good advice on how to trust yourself at that point and not let the binging come back.

Hope all is well today :)

Slashnl
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi all!

Carter: Good for you, taking it one day at a time. You know, that's all we can control, what's going on right now.

Easily Amused: Sounds like you're doing well!!! That's great!

Not much new here. I had a really odd experience at the gym yesterday. The spin instructor for Monday is a woman, 50 years old. She's always been really good, but over the past few weeks, she's been saying things like she should retire, etc. Well, yesterday, she was in a bad mood, evidently. She taught the class, but it was a little short. The stretching barely happened afterward... she then turned on the very bright overhead light (never happens), and made a comment that it is like a bad marriage and she needs a divorce (meaning she doesn't want to teach the class). She then left. Well then, if you don't like it anymore...QUIT! I don't go to class that early in the morning to have attitude like that mixed in with my workout. I'm going to see if she is there on Monday, and if she pulls that again, I'm going to her boss. What crap!

My sweet 18 year old son said that I should try to be patient, that she might be having personal problems. I can understand that, but I can't have a meltdown like that in my job if I'm having personal issues!

Anyway... have a great day!

amandie
03-18-2014, 11:20 PM
You all are doing great so far!!!

Easily- sorry to hear about your arm- please be careful!

Diane- yea, I'd go to her boss if it happens again. Hopefully the next time, she will be in a better mood.

Okay, the party went great, no drama or anything. Most importantly, the cake turned out awesome!!!! I sure had a workout with making all the frosting, 3 sticks of butter and close to 10 cups of powdered sugar!!! *thud* I'm still finding little bits of frosting here and there in the kitchen, LOL. Warning:Picture may be NSFW. (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/universaldorkette/89ee8d53920621ea1de2035997c4994a.jpg)

Today was the second day back to school after Spring break, so far so good!!! Im up right now still thanks to TOM and alcohol/food. I just finished doing a paper and now I'm off to do an half hour on the elliptical.

Oh oh, I made something new for the first time... Vegetable casserole with a polenta "crust" on the bottom (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/vegetable-polenta-casserole/). It was good but next time I'd cut the polenta in half as well as reduce water a bit since it was very soft/soggy and double the vegetables. It sort of tasted like a pizza casserole with all the stuff I put in it. I added green peppers and mushrooms since I only had zucchini, no yellow squash on hand and tomato paste instead of regular tomatoes. I've never had polenta before and I liked it, with a bit of tweaking.

Have a great evening, all!!!

carter
03-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi folks. Glad to see everyone's having fun, making awesome cakes and sticking to plan.

I managed to stay on plan yesterday and most importantly resist the urge to binge. Today, same approach: one choice at a time. I am tired of of this extra 20, tired of not quite fitting comfortably into my clothes. I wish I could channel that tiredness into more discipline.

My knees complained loud and long at the gym this morning. I had to cut my workout short and spend some quality time on the foam roller. Ouch ouch ouch.

amandie
03-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Good going Carter! Ouch on your knees, I feel your pain. I've never foam rolled... One day though!

Easily_Amused- I have no idea as I have yet to work with almond meal. I want to say yes, it is possible, however I might not use all the water/broth the recipe asks for if you want it to be like a firmer crust. Perhaps you could look up recipes on using almond meal as a crust then follow the vegetable and cheese part of the recipe I shared. This recipe seems to be very versatile in that you could use any vegetables you'd like. :) Someone in the comments said you could even use a ricotta layer as well for a sort of lasagna flavor or something. I might try that next time, although I tend to use cottage cheese.

Slashnl
03-19-2014, 01:44 PM
:coffee:

Carter: I missed your coffee guy, so I'm adding it here. Ha! Hope your knee is better today.

Easily Amused: Definitely, don't give up the exercise! I think it is so important! Good plan on just going with eating above your BMR and not worrying about the calorie deficit. It's what we have to do.... tweak, tweak, tweak those plans!

Amandie: Loved the cake! So cute!

Went to spin class this morning, not the same instructor as Monday, so no drama. She was mentioning that she bought some dark chocolate covered blueberries and put them in the freezer for a quick snack when she wanted something sweet. Thought that sounded pretty good. But, chocolate of any kind is quite the slippery slope for me. :)

Have a great day!

carter
03-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Oh my goodness, I am falling down on the job. :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee:

Easily Amused: I had the crunchy knees for a long time. I read on stumptuous.com years ago that there is nothing really pathological or dangerous about knees that do that, so I stopped worrying about it. It sure is weird though!

I think what happened today is that my muscles around the knee are just too darn tight. I have been lifting hard and I've never stretched enough. And, I'm not as young as I used to be. :dizzy: So have to force myself to lay off the lifting for a week or two and use the time with that infernal foam roller instead.

ANYWAY. I am back in the thread today because today is a SLOG against bad choices and the temptation to binge. I'm managing but boy it is not easy. I went for a walk after lunch instead of buying the cookies that were singing my name at the cafeteria. This evening I have to stop at the grocery store on the way home because I'm short on vegetables, and I have to discipline myself to make a surgical strike and stay away from the things I buy when I choose to binge. Saying it here so I feel some shame when I come back tomorrow. ;)

Slashnl
03-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Carter: Glad you are back on track with your coffee guy. I like to see him! What do you do with the roller? I think I've seen those at the gym, but not sure. I have heard others talking about using a roller after injuries, but I didn't know what they do.

Easily Amused: Wow! That was a lot of steps yesterday! Good for you! I know it can be frustrating to have to postpone workouts because of injuries. I've been holding my breath during this weight loss challenge, hoping everything stays together for me. Only 11 more days. Hope you are feeling better now.

Went to body pump today. I had grabbed a different t-shirt than the ones I normally wear and I didn't notice until I was there that it had some stains on it. It looked like grease spatters from frying something. So, I was totally self-conscious about it for the entire class. Guess I'll remember not to wear that one!

amandie
03-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Hope everyone is having a good day so far!

Nothing new on this front, still same weight thanks to TOM and alcohol. Still working out and food is great so far.

Take care of yourselves, please including tennis elbows and crunchy knees, too. :)

Slashnl
03-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Nothing new here either. I took a peek at the scale and it hasn't moved. I'm hoping it will by Monday. Kinda wanted to see the 260's........ Hopefully it is just TOM. I have to remember that I've had a few good weeks of losses. I might not this week. But... I don't have to like it.

Have a good weekend!

carter
03-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Hi kids! :coffee:

Slashnl and Easily Amused: Using the foam roller is like giving yourself a deep tissue massage. It hurts like a mofo! But, I have been told that the kind of knee pain I experience is due to tightness in the muscles of my legs (which I believe, because I lift hard and don't stretch nearly enough), and that the foam roller is a good way to release that tightness and increase functional strength and range of motion.

I like this video that demonstrates a full-body rollout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khC5J1lkC7s

I just do what she says to do, and when I find a spot that hurts I force myself to roll on it until I yelp. It makes me feel like a piece of veal being hammered into carpaccio by a tenderizing mallet. :dizzy:

Anyway. Slashnl, best of luck for an easy weekend and a fierce finish to the competition.

Easily Amused: " I guess if I hadn't been working so hard, I could have gained 7... " Exactly! It drives me crazy but my daily weight fluctuations are big enough to mask up to a month's worth of actual fat loss. The result is that I never lost monotonically, a little bit each week - always in fits and starts, and always with bounces in between. If you have been on plan, you have burned the fat, even if your net weight isn't quite showing it yet. It just means you are due for a whoosh!

I have been reasonably on-plan this week - compared to how it could have been, at least, I did fine: No binges despite tremendous urges for them. I somehow have been able to veer myself toward the right choice even if at the last minute. Now to keep that up through the weekend ...

Good luck and good strength to all.

amandie
03-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Pepper jack cheese, my favorite!!!

I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. Yesterday, I went to a wine gathering at a winery about an hour away. It was nice to relax and socialize with some friends. I tried something new- cranberry wine. I normally do not like red wine but this was really good. I'm looking forward to going again when the weather is warmer to have a wine slushie.

Well, I just wanted to check in for a bit before I get back to finishing up my study guide for Sociology and homework for math as well. Happy Sunday to all!

Slashnl
03-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Hi all! Just checking in.

Carter: Ok, that's what those rollers are for at the gym. Now I get it. I can see how that would help! Or hurt... fine line!

I had a great workout yesterday, so that was nice. And then, this morning, I was talking to my son, he's 17. We were talking about this last week of the challenge at work, with weigh-in on 4/1. He was giving me all kinds of support to do whatever it takes and leave nothing on the table to give it my all. I told him that I was planning to so that I have no regrets. Win or lose, I want all out effort this week. If I don't win, ok, but I want to feel like I gave it my all. He told me that after the challenge is over, that I shouldn't scale back too much because then I might lose too much intensity. I agree. I'm going to try to not talk about weight loss everyday with my family once this is over, but I want to keep the workouts and effort up. That's my goal.

Well, enjoy the rest of the weekend!

amandie
03-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Sounds like a great idea, Diane. Oh boy, I really hope you win but like you said, as long as you gave it your best. Keep up the awesome work!

Easily_Amused- Sh!t happens.. Hope you get to feeling better sometime today! I'm the same- I do so much better during the week too. Have a great OP day too! How was Hangover 3, BTW?

Cranberry wine is pretty interesting taste-wise, a little bit tart but not too bad. I'm looking forward to trying the peach wine next time we go.

Have a great day and week, all!!!

Slashnl
03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Well, lost 1.8 pounds. So close to breaking through a decade, but no.... I got on the scale 3 times and it wouldn't go below, so I'll take it. Hopefully, next week.

Easily Amused: Hope you're feeling better. Although it is good at the time, sometimes our bodies make us pay! But, back to the week and staying on plan.

Amandie: Hope studying is going well for you! No fun!!!

Hope everyone has a great week!

SugarRomeoTango4852
03-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Regaining Control Challenge Level: 12.

I need distraction strategies because I am currently bored and all I can think about it lunch (even though I am not physically hungry!)

amandie
03-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Easily_Amused- 8 miles? Wow, is that from walking or running? I wonder how I can figure out how many miles if any I've done on my elliptical. It's my preferred form of exercise, less stress on the knees too. I'd love to get a recumbent or some sort of exercise bike, provided that the seat is comfortable of course! ;)

SRT4852- Knitting, crocheting, chewing gum, surfing the net (including 3fc, cracked, oddee, reddit, imgur, etc) definitely helps distract me. Anything that keeps your mind and/or hands busy!!! If all fails, bring veggies with you to munch in like carrots, celery, cukes, etc. Hope that helps!

Diane- Way to go on the 1.8!!! That just means you should be in the next lower decade with the next weigh-in!!!! :crossed:

I finally got down to 160.8, 1 pound up right now. The next time I weigh in, hoping to see 159.7 or below!

Slashnl
03-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Amandie: Looks like we're both hovering around a decade change.

SRT4852: It's hard when you can't get your mind off food! I agree with the others, to try to find something else to do right now. Try drinking some water or tea, it might help too.

Easily Amused: Way to go with the 8 miles!!

Went to Body Pump this morning. It was fine, but feeling a little achy in my back and hamstrings. Wonder what caused that??? Almost didn't make it to the gym because I overslept.

Slashnl
03-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Easily Amused: So glad to hear about you being on track and all the hard work you've been putting in! That's A LOT of steps!!! Way to go!

Getting pretty excited about finishing up this weight loss challenge at work. I'm obsessing over the scale a lot right now because of it, so it is time for it to end so I can just get back to doing my own thing. I think it was a good thing to do, but now I just want to know if I win or not. I definitely won't give up on what I've been doing because it has helped so much. And, I still have a ways to go. I have about 17 pounds to go to get rid of what I regained, and then I'll be losing new weight. I'm ready for that.

Had a good spin class today! My legs were a little shaky afterward, so must have worked hard!!

Slashnl
03-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Easily Amused: Ha! Pretty good idea with the battery for the scale! Good job with the walking. It is very impressive.

So... it's kind of funny the difference a day makes. Yesterday seemed like a good workout day for me. Today... not so much. I have felt sluggish all day long. I couldn't believe it when my alarm went off, I was not ready to be up. I almost talked myself into not going to the gym, but I went. I can't say it was a great workout, I just couldn't get my mind in a good place for it. But, maybe some good came from just being there.

I think that while I am excited for the weight loss challenge results, I'm also so ready for it to end. Just tired of constantly thinking about it. And, I will be constantly thinking about it now until it is over.

But, then again, I don't want to get past it and then think that I'm free of it all. I still have lots of weight to lose, so I'll need to keep vigilant.

Just one of those days, I guess...

carter
03-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Folks. :coffee: :( I am having a really rough time sticking to plan. I did all right last week but Sunday through Wednesday was more or less one extended binge.

I have been thinking of today as a recommitment day. This has to stop. I don't know what else to say.

I usually take a behavior-oriented approach to weight loss - I don't spend a lot of energy wondering about the underlying psychological causes of my eating behaviors. Rather, I apply empirical understanding and discipline to changing them.

I'm not taking a different approach this time. However, I am pondering why this sudden backslide into binging behaviors. In the six-seven weeks after my girlfriend broke up with me I did not binge even once: It was almost a defiant response, I WILL NOT be the person who responds to heartbreak by falling headfirst into a pint of ice cream. But, as soon as we started talking about getting back together, the binge behavior started creeping back, and now that we ARE back together, I seem to have lost the plot completely.

What is going on?? I don't know. All I know is: No binge today. That's my promise to myself.

Slashnl: Those days definitely do happen. It is great that you got to the gym and did something. Some days that is all you can do and it is most assuredly better than doing nothing. I hope you won't find that at the end of your challenge you are burned out. Maybe recommit yourself, the day the challenge ends, with a promise to stay on plan for 30 days or something like that. It's good that you're thinking about it now, planning ahead for it. Best of luck.

Slashnl
03-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Carter: I'm sorry you've been having a rough time of things. I wish I knew what to tell you. Could it be that you're still a little on edge because of the last break up? What I mean is that maybe you're a little worried about being able to stay together. My husband and I separated for a few months about 10 years ago or so. We got back together, but I know for awhile I felt like I wasn't sure what to expect each time I came home. Will we still be able to keep it together? (That may not be how you feel, but just a thought.)

Easily Amused: Sorry I missed the rant. Sometimes it is good to just let it out! You're doing so well with your steps per day and calorie deficit, that maybe you'll have a big loss coming up soon. I hope so!

For me, today is a better day than yesterday. I wasn't thrilled about getting up this morning, but it was much better than yesterday. I really like spin class and the instructor on Fridays is my favorite, so that helps a lot! It was a good workout and I was pushing very hard. So, long story short.... this guy next to me asks me after the workout if I am training for something in particular. Ha! Um... no. I told him that there was a weight loss challenge I was trying to win. He said that it looked like I had lost a lot of weight and he thought I was in training since I worked so hard at it. (He's training for a triathlon.) Made my day. I don't know him, but I see him there a lot. He's a younger guy, very fit and nice looking. It just meant a lot coming from him, that someone I don't know noticed my effort.

carter
03-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi kids! :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: <-- need extra today because my kitty-cat yowled me right out of bed before 5:00 this morning.

Easily Amused, I suspect everyone needs to rant sometimes. Weight loss can be crazy-making. I try to bring my rational mind to bear on everything I do, but sometimes lizard-brain carter takes over and I have to melt down. No matter how disciplined and rational I try to be, weight loss is an emotionally fraught subject and process - no way around it.

And, I like your tweaked plan. It sounds like you are thinking very hard about how to adjust your plan to make it less painful to stick to, which is to me the number 1 key to successful weight loss - you have to engineer your environment and your choices so that the path of least resistance (most of the time) is sticking to plan.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am happy to be seeing that woman again - really cautiously happy, because - Slashnl hit the nail on the head - I don't entirely trust her not to freak out again. We had long talks about what went wrong for her before, we have made adjustments to accommodate her issues, but at the moment I feel super-vigilant about not going down that same path again.

It hasn't been a long relationship - still less than a year - so it's not quite the same emotional investment and general life entanglement as a long partnership or marriage. But - there are other complicating aspects in my life situation that make everything a bit harder.

So yes. Blah blah blah, long story short, the ups and downs and re-ups of this relationship aren't making it any easier to stick to my plan. :dizzy:

I'm okay though. Stuck to plan yesterday (despite taking the woman in question to a movie at a theater with excellent popcorn) and so far so good today. I just - I don't know, have to stay focused, fight that urge to binge, really make every last choice mindfully. Phew.

Slashnl
03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi all! Just checking in. I am working hard this weekend to be ready for the weigh in Monday. I'm going to be glad when the challenge is over. But, I figured I could give it 2 strong days of exercise and calorie deficit so that I can at least say that I gave it my all.

Carter: Just one day at a time!!! I know you can do it!!

Easily Amused: Good for you for working through getting used to lower calories! You'll get there!

Have a good weekend!

carter
03-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Hi kids. :coffee:

Weekend wasn't great, plan-wise, but it could have been worse. I do a lot of cooking on the weekends, focusing on delicious flavorful on-plan food for the week. I made a pulao (Indian seasoned rice with vegetables) that came out so unbelievably delicious that I had a hard time controlling myself with it. I think about two cups of it fell into my mouth when I was putting the leftovers away. :dizzy:

It was that kind of weekend. On the plus side I passed up a couple of opportunities for actual binges. And I find it a little easier to control my eating within the structure of the work week. So, forward ever onward.

Regain kind of sucks all around. I can't remember whether I mentioned this here - last week I went and bought new bras, because I just couldn't pretend the bras I had bought at my lowest weight still fit. I had gone up a cup size, but not a band size (I know that sounds terrific to some, but trust me I don't need it - I'd gladly donate two or three cup sizes to any woman in need who wants them). It's tough to admit that kind of thing, that I can't fit my trimmest clothes any more, but it's also necessary, I think, to feel good about myself and how I look, at every stage of this process.

So here is my question of the day for you regainers out there: How have you confronted the unwanted and disappointing changes to your body that come with bouncing back from your lowest weight?

Slashnl: I can't wait to hear the results of your challenge. Best of luck all around!

SugarRomeoTango4852
03-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Afternoon Folks,
Tomorrow starts my official back on the gym bandwagon and I am shaking in my boots about it. I've realized part of me is worried that this is going to be an uphill battle entire way to get back under 200 lbs and I would hate to lose heart halfway through.

I'm also trying to get back in calorie counting gear but that is always easier on me when I am working out. Right now it's a struggle because I am not physically active but when working out I have no desire to undo all the stuff I just sweated out. I do need to plan out my lunches/dinner more but I never seem to have the time/energy to actually cook.

Luck to everyone else!

Slashnl
03-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Well, we had weigh in, but we're waiting for a couple of people yet. I may not know until this afternoon. I put in some extra time with workouts this weekend. I don't think it helped, because on my scale, I was up .2 pounds. My weigh in was better than I thought for this challenge, so we'll see how it goes. It is hard to tell with some of the smaller people, since they have less to lose for their percentages. We'll see. I'll report later.

Carter: That is an upsetting part of regaining. I had gotten myself out of women's sizes clothes, but then I am back up to those lovely 1x, 2x, 3x choices. It is so disappointing to have to give in and get the larger sizes. I just have to do it differently this time and not let myself slip back into the bad habits and lazy attitude.

SRT4852: You can do it! I know it is scary starting back up again, but you will get back on track and feel so much better!

Easily Amused: Glad things are going well!

Slashnl
03-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Well, that sucks. Came in 2nd. No money.... just the satisfaction of giving my best.

Whatever.... wanted to win. :)

carter
04-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Slashnl, sorry you didn't win that prize! I'm impressed how the contest kept you focused though. I hope you can be pleased with that even without the cash. What's your plan for continuing after the contest?

I have to get moving so I'll just leave a quick thought today: as frustrated as I am with this regain, as much as I want to get it back off, and as hard am I struggling against the urge to binge lately, I want to be consciously pleased that I only regained 20% of what I lost. It could have been much, much worse. Even though I'm not really losing these last few weeks, my efforts are (I think) keeping me from regaining more. That's a good thing.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Good Morning Folks!

@Slashnl: 2nd is nothing to sniff at! Why didn't you win money was this a game of some kind?

@Carter: You'll get back to where you want to be and when you do it will be fantastic.

In my own news: My food choices yesterday were poor when I got home but it was date night and I spoke with my boyfriend about how I can't eat "cheese with more cheese and Doritos with chili" casserole dinners. BUT - I did it. I got up at 430 am and dragged myself to the gym and made a fool of myself trying out a new machine (Open Stride thiny: It's like and elliptical and a tread-climber in one but learning the motions are awkward) but I spent 50 - 60 glorious minuets sweating and pushing through and I know I can do it agian tomorrow.

Slashnl
04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the support. I have to say that my disappointment level was really high yesterday. I gave in my "whiny inner five-year-old", as mentioned in Carter's signature. But I have to go on now. My son was trying to be helpful and told me that I've done so well, and I should be proud, etc. I told him that just for the day (yesterday), I was going to feel bad and be upset about it. But I won't let it derail me. I almost just slept in today, but I got up and went to the gym. I set a new, aggressive goal for myself, losing a total of 50 by 7/1/14. I hope to use that to keep the focus up. I also will continue to track calories and exercise on myfitnesspal, and I'll keep coming here. I said that I wanted to win the challenge, and it is too bad that I didn't, but the other part of this is to improve my health and get this weight off. I have to remember that.

Carter: You should be proud of not gaining more than you did with your regain. That is important to be able to stop before all progress is lost. Nice job!!!

SRT4852: Yay! Good job on getting to the gym! And, you reached out and tried something new. That is really, really good! Glad to see you're excited about going back.
(Oh, and to answer your question... I was in a weight loss challenge at work, and if you won 1st place, you won $600. That's why I'm disappointed I didn't win.)

Have a good day everyone!

Slashnl
04-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Easily Amused: Just keep tweaking!! That's all you can do. I guess it makes it interesting anyway. Good job on the steps!

Not much going on for me. Went to Spin class this morning. It seemed harder than normal. I think I'm still getting over the disappointment of not winning the weight loss challenge. It makes me tired. I'll have to be careful about not letting progress get away.

Have a good one!

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-02-2014, 01:59 PM
@ Easily Amused: I can understand the skin struggle. I have been obese since puberty (thank you hormones and no parental supervision!) so my skin (even though I am only 26) is never going to be something I am completely comfortable with but being healthy is my top priority for losing weight!

In my news; I slept through my alarm and gym time today. I always forget how tired I am when I first start out so it was ambitious for me to think I was going to get there every day this week. I wills stick with Tu/Th (maybe Friday!) morning for this week. Next week I can try to tackle more days but I don't want to hurt myself when I am just getting out of the gate. I also went slightly over in calories yesterday but I am starting to think I am restricting myself a little TOO much immediately (1,500 calorie diet at 255 while busting my butt in the gym? Tummy Growls here I come).

However - I signed up for a 5k in Oct (my first ever!) and it's a color run so I am nervous. Anyone from the PA Pocono Area that wants to join? I also signed up for a "Grazebox" which seems pretty cool just to try since I am always looking for healthy snacks.

I am also trying to plan out what to eat for Dinner - I am taking my mom out to a Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner and I know to stay in calorie I am limited in my choice. It's making me nervous.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-03-2014, 09:32 AM
@ Easily: Woo - I don't know where you live but I would LOVE to say good bye to my fleece in Easter PA. Congrats on the high step-page and miles for the date and I'm sure you'l see the same numbers on your official weigh in!

As for myself - *whistle* I fell off the bandwagon at dinner last night. I was starving and allowed myself to (shall we say) "tuck in" to the appetizer (Texas Tonion and Bread) and still ate my entire 8oz steak and baked potato and side salad (no cheese or bacon thank you - take my small victories while I can). I need to get back to finding the right balance of nutrients (mainly protein) while on my 1500 diet and exercise - because I am not looking to starve to lose this weight. My stomach was growling so loudly before the food arrived people two tables over could hear it.

Someone was telling me that I can get away with Greek Yogurt, Peanut Butter, etc for protein but I find that - well - I am true carnivore and I need meat (preferably red!) once I get THAT hungry to fill me up. I am looking for better (quicker/easier) suggestions for times like that.

But I DID make it to the gym this morning! Which was a huge victory for me because I am was so tired (and still am) this morning. I also have a question that I am hoping someone offer advice on - I have two calories counting devices 1.) Heart Rate Monitor, 2.) Fitbit and 3.) Cardio Machine and they all always vary between 100 - 200 calorie difference. Any ideas which would be the most accurate?

Tarisaande
04-03-2014, 10:50 AM
I need some motivation and have come back to 3FC for it. I've been sloooowwwwly regaining for the last few years and am up about 30lb from I lowest (only ~5 from where I wanted to be) and I am SO FRUSTRATED. It doesn't help that I haven't exactly been trying in the food department.

Thanks for the motivation everyone here provides. I tend to get burnt out on diet forums, but I think I need it right now.

Slashnl
04-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi all! Welcome to Tarisaande!! Looking forward to getting to know you! This is a good thread, to me. Lots of support here.

Easily Amused: Funny you should mention being tired from pushing so hard on exercise. I finally decided to take a break today. Last night, my back was sore and my quad muscles have been sore for about 5 days. I push them a lot, so they tend to be tired. So, no gym for me today. I'll go back tomorrow, but it felt pretty good to sleep in today and just ease into the day at least. I think it was a good thing. I just can't let it all slip away!! Oh, and you are definitely warmer than we are. We aren't quite warm enough to do away with jackets!

SRT4852: Good for you getting to the gym! It's hard to adjust to a new workout schedule. But I think if you keep going, it will get easier. I know nothing about Fitbit, but I've always heard that the HRM around the chest is the best way to measure calorie burn. It is talked about a lot on myfitnesspal.

Well, have a good day everyone!

Tarisaande
04-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks Slashnl and Easily Amused!

Slashnl, and anyone else struggling with this! Take care with soreness from pushing with the exercise, resting is a good idea even when you feel like you NEED to go out. One of my hurdles the last couple years has been that I ignored soreness in my shoulder and ended up with a torn rotator cuff. Even now a year and a half after surgery, it still hurts, and I cant do weight training (or even open heavy doors without pain). I never liked lifting, but I did it anyway. The thing I miss most is kickboxing though. Ah, I LOVED it!

I'm trying to start running again regularly this summer, and I went out yesterday and don't feel sore today and thought about running again, but I know I should probably skip a day and not overdo it. I've only been out 2x in the last 2 weeks, and none before that since last november! So today it is a walk outside in the nice spring weather we've been blessed with and run tomorrow:)

Slashnl
04-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Feeling so much better with a day of rest. I kept an eye on calories yesterday, but I also didn't obsess about it. I ended up having spaghetti last night and it tasted so good! I just felt so relaxed last night, it was nice. I went back to the gym this morning, spin class. It was really good and I think I had more energy. Not sure if it was from having a better attitude or just getting rest. But, it felt great! I got on the scale and it looked good, so I'm hoping that Monday's weigh in will be a good one. I'm ready to get into a new decade!

Easily Amused: You are so right. We are very lucky in Colorado in the summer. I don't complain too much about it because I really like summer. I spent 8 years living in the mountains in a town at 10,000 ft elevation. It was brutal for winters and the summer high was never above 85. I hated that! So, I don't mind our heat, even when we hit the 100's. At least it cools down at night!

Tarisaande: You are so right that you need to listen to your body before it breaks down! Injuries are no fun. Glad you got some running in! Good for you!

carter
04-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Hey guys. :coffee: My struggles continue. I don't have much to report, just trying to stay focused despite some horrendously bad choices. Yesterday was a pretty good day, plan-wise, and I'm working on making today a good day as well. One. Choice. At. A. Time. Ugh.

amandie
04-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Hey all, sorry for disappearing for a bit!!!

I have so,e good news though! After struggling to get below 160, I finally saw 156.6, my lowest in 10 plus years! Sooo excited!!!! The fire under my arse has been lit and is blazinggggg!

Welcome to the newcomers and to the regulars, keep up the great work!!!

Slashnl
04-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Hi all! Just checking in as the weekend comes to a close.

Carter: Hang in there! You've been such a help to me, I wish I had something amazing to say to you. I hope that you can just keep taking it one choice at a time. You can do it!! I know you can!

Easily Amused: NICE! Glad you made it down to a lower number!!! And again, good job on the steps!

Amandie: Good to see you again! And congrats on the great new low! So sweet!!!

As for me, it has been a lazy, lazy day. Which is ok! Last Sunday I was making myself crazy with obsessing about the weight loss challenge, so I'm glad I'm more relaxed. Gotta have a day of rest. Yesterday I went to spin class and then to my son's track meet. Fun day and the weather was great. I love spring! I'm kind of looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in. I think it will be good and I'll be down a decade.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Good Morning Everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. Mine was full of work - work and more work (and occasionally bad food choices). I need to screw my head on straight and stay in my 1600 (yes - I raised it a little based on my BMR) calories options.

I also (again) made it to the gym and while working out I started laughing because I realized I am going full force on this machine for no reason. I am not competing with anyone and it's ok if I don't exhaust myself every time I workout because I am not doing this for anyone but myself. I don't have to impress anyone so long as I am there on the machine giving it (if not my all) all I can give at the moment.

Anyone else have a realization like that about their weight loss and exercise?

Slashnl
04-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi everyone!

SRT4852: Good job on getting to the gym. I've been coming to that realization lately, that exercise and calorie counting is for me, I'm not competing anymore. I had been competing, with the weight loss challenge here at work, but now I am trying to be a little kinder and gentler to myself. I did not make it to the gym today... I totally overslept... but I'm not going to make myself crazy and beat myself up. I'll just get there tomorrow. It's not the end of the world!! :)

I had an awesome weigh in today. I lost 5.4 pounds. Last week, I had actually gone up .2 pounds, so I think I was holding on to a lot of water or something. I think with finally ending the weight loss challenge, I relaxed and so did my body. So, happy days! New decade! I have about 11 more pounds of this regain to get rid of.

Slashnl
04-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Easily Amused: I think that's a good attitude. You have to do what is right for you, with both food plan and exercise. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else. I know that with me, this time is different in that I had to give up some beliefs I had from before regarding what I can and can't do. I feel like I wasn't giving it full effort before, so I'm trying to keep that up for as long as I can. I know I'll face struggles, and have already, but I'm trying to give it my best effort now. I just want to be stronger and healthier.

I was a little tickled today at Body Pump. Now, Body Pump is not fun to me. I do it because I think it gives me good results, but definitely not fun. Well, I decided to increase the weights I was using for each exercise. I had the shaky arms and legs going on for sure! But, I noticed that when we were doing pushups, I could actually DO REAL PUSHUPS! Not just faking it, like I usually do! So, getting stronger. And, when we were stretching out, I could do the little contortion of putting one leg behind the other and twisting to the side. I think that because I've lost some inches, my legs actually fit together like that. Little victories.

Having kind of a low energy day now, though. My almost 20 yo daughter and I are battling. She's trying to make me crazy, and I'm trying to hold on to sanity. UGH!

Hope everyone is doing ok.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Good Morning!

@Slashnl: Yea for upping weights! When I was able to go to bodypump classes I had that same semi battle - I loved and hated it at the same time. However, PROPS FOR PUSHUPS! I don't know if I will ever be able to do those (shoulder pop out when I put pressure on them the wrong way) so I envy you. Keep doing it. I am sorry you and your daughter are fighting - is it serious or young adult shenanigans?

@Easily: Keep Hanging in there - and congrats on being over 20,000 steps. I am still struggling to get to 10,000 with my desk job.

As for me...I'm doing. Skipped the gym yesterday (desire to do anything after work was a -5,000) but I made up for it by going this morning AND planning out all my food but dinner (taking suggestions - I am craving pasta in the worst way =\ . I will admit I fell off the plan pretty hard on Monday (DQ Small Blizzard was a reward from my boyfriend for trying to fish he made for dinner...). But I am back on the horse and going strong.

I also got my first graze box and I am excited - just had my first pommet (I think they are called) of coconut, cranberries and Belgium chocolate. Good combination.

Slashnl
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Easily Amused: Wow! That is a crazy number of steps! 1.3 million! I'm very impressed with that!

SRT4852: Good for you for getting to the gym this morning. I can totally understand not going in the afternoon after work. I really don't know how anyone can be consistent going after work, but that's more my issue with being way more of a morning person than an afternoon person. I have trouble getting things done at home after work. Just want to hit the couch!

As for my daughter issue... it isn't horrible stuff, just enough to keep my worried and stressed. She's not a great student (easily distracted by wanting to be with friends and having a good time), but she's in college and I worry about it all the time. I need to be more like my husband in that he says it is up to her and if she fails at it, then she has to figure out what else she will do. Yep, I get that. But... I want her to succeed. She lives at home and that is probably a lot of the battle. She wants more freedom, and I want my rules followed. It is still my house. It would be good if she could afford to move out, but that isn't happening just yet. Overall, she's not a bad kid, but she does drive me crazy.

Doing pretty good with being on plan this week. After sleeping in on Monday and not getting to the gym, I've made it each morning. Went to spin this morning. It was really tough, but glad I was there. Was sweating like crazy, so it must be good!

Have a great day!

Slashnl
04-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Easily Amused: You probably should take it easy on your weights for now and let your arm heal. It is so hard to do when we're trying to stay on track and keep exercising, but you don't want it to get worse either. Darn it!

Nothing new here. Went to Body Pump. It was good, but glad it is over for the week. I think it is a good thing to do, but I don't really have a great time doing it.

amandie
04-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi darlings!!!!!

Quick flyby, no time for personals since things are heating up with school and with my personal life, ugh!!!!!

GOOD NEWS- 155.4 this morning. I'm sooo thrilled, I have not weighed this little since high school. I just wanted to share that with you all.

As soon as I get a little bit of time, I WILL do personals. In the meantime, great job, hang in there and don't give up, all!!!

carter
04-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Hi folks. :coffee:

This is carter looking shamefacedly into her coffee because I still haven't pulled it together. I'm starting to feel it in my clothes - all this binging over the past few weeks has me gaining, not even holding steady any more.

Ugh.

I have to get going to an appointment right now so I don't have time to greet everyone personally but I want to say: I am glad you are here, and I am glad so many of you are sticking to plan and starting to kick your regains. I don't usually post here when I'm struggling this badly (pride etc) but because of you, I'm here this morning. I'm going to make good choices today. I'm sure of that. After today, I'll work on tomorrow.

Slashnl
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Carter: So good to see you post. I know that you're having a rough time right now, but I really miss seeing you on here. Keep hanging in there. I know it will get better, but I also know it is hard to work through a struggle. I'm pulling for you! And keep posting, no matter what. If you don't want to talk about progress right now, that's ok. Just stay connected!

Amandie: Good job!!!! You're doing great. Wow... high school weight. Not sure I can ever get down to that again. That was 135 for me. College killed me and then had babies and never worked hard enough to get it all off. Oh, and then the age thing happened. :)

So glad it is Friday! The weather here is absolutely beautiful, so it makes me want to be outside! I have heard that the weekend won't be quite as good, but that's ok. Just needing a weekend. Went to spin this morning. I still have shaky legs from it. Good thing I have a desk job.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Good Afternoon, Folks!

@ Slashnl: I am sorry about your daughter, I am not far into my 20s (26 - ok so pretty far) but I am sure she will mature with age. I agree with you about the weekend (glad it's here!) but I think it is supposed to be beautiful on the east coast so I have that going for me and YAY Spin Class.

@Amadie: CONGRATS. I hope your life is heating up in a good, not stressful, way!

@ Carter: You'll find your northstar again and we are always here for you! I struggle a lot and I have to fight my pride when I post about falling off my bandwagon - but I find posting helps me and reminds me I'm human. I promise - you only have to make good choices one day at a time and it'll work out!

As for myself - I'm good, not on plan but not off, I've decided to eat in a range from 1,500 - 1,700 depending on my hunger. I didn't make ti to the gym other than M/W this week but even that tuckered me out quite a lot. I ended up sleeping like a rock Thursnight (and sleeping through 6 alarms making me late for work) and last night (Fri) so maybe I shouldnt' amp it up just yet. However, I must admit I am a little worried about my weight loss already, not that I haven't lost anything but I stepped on my scale this morning and I am down to 246.6 already, nearly 10 lbs from two weeks ago (even accounting for water weight) and it's not even my official weigh in (Tuesday). Is there such a thing as TOO fast weight loss? It also happened for me really fast last time (60 lbs in 5 months).

Slashnl
04-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi all. Just checking in for the weekend. Had a really good workout yesterday. We'll see how Monday's weigh in goes, though. I'm feeling a little puffy, so I'm thinking I might be retaining a little water!

carter
04-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, all. I had an okay weekend - not a great one - and took yesterday off to hang out with my brother who was visiting for Passover.

Boy am I feeling this extra weight right now. Stuffing myself into my clothes like a sausage. Ugh. That has to be my motivation to make the right choices today.

My girlfriend suggested that I might be over-restricting. She pointed out that I am still exercising quite a bit and that maybe my calorie target is actually too low for that, leading to the binges. I'm not sure it's that simple (about the binging), and like everyone I am always nervous about upping my calorie target. But I'm going to take her words to heart and consider adding an extra couple hundred calories of protein to my day.

Have any of you done anything like this recently? I'm thinking if it can help me keep on track it is worth doing, even if it just gets me a few weeks solidly on plant without a gain. Once I have that under my belt (as if there is any room there!) I can work on reducing again, with more care.

Slashnl
04-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Hi Carter: I think that is a great idea. I've done that before and it just is kind of amazing that you eat more, but still do better with losing weight. I think you can totally restrict yourself too much. If you're working out hard, you need to make sure you are getting sufficient calories to keep your energy up. I think you should give it a shot!

As for me, just hanging in there. Not much excitement. :)

calluna
04-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Hello, all. I'm another regainer relosing, to my shame. Still... my personal mantra is to persevere, and that means that I can't just give up. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and I think it is time to participate again.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-15-2014, 08:04 PM
@Calluna: Welcome! You will persevere and we are here to make sure you don't give up! PLus - we are all guilty of lurking so it happens.

As for myself! I lost a whopping 1 lb from last week to this one which, while small, is still a victory. I am having trouble keeping my calories down since I am so hungry lately (but I eat healthy foods!). I guess I just need to watch/plan better.

In more personal news - I scheduled an appointment for my first tattoo and I am extremely nervous and scared. I am not telling people or showing them what i am getting in my life because it is none of their business but...it's scary!

carter
04-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Hi kids! :coffee:

So: I am happy to report one day on plan. :dizzy: So far, so good. Now to string a second one on to that.

It being Passover is actually pretty helpful for me. There are some tempting, delicious foods traditionally associated with Passover but I don't have a lot of it in my house. So all Passover means for me is that I can't give in to the temptation to eat cookies after lunch or to binge on candy and pretzels.

And if I can resist the temptation this week, I can resist it once Passover is done, too.

Slashnl: How are you feeling now that the competition is done? Have you been able to keep up the pace and focus of your efforts? Conversely are you content to settle into a less intense routine?

calluna: glad you decided to step out and join us. Is there anything you
find especially challenging about approaching a regain?

SugarRomeoTango: please don't ever be disappointed with a pound lost in a week. I pound-a-weeked away 120 pounds. (More like 4-5 pounds a monthed it away, but a pound a week on average.) It's a good reliable healthy rate of weight loss. A lot of people get stuck in the "only"-a-pound-a-week trap and somehow convince themselves they are doing it wrong or need to to try harder or be more restrictive and end up psyching themselves right off plan. You're doing great! Just stick with it.

Slashnl
04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
SRT4852: Good luck on the tattoo. That is one thing I'll never have. I am certainly not against them, but I would be terrified of having it done. So, you are way braver than me. Congrats on the pound loss!

Calluna: Good to see you on this thread. I just said hi to you on another thread, so glad that you are posting here, too. We'll all keep each other going!!

Carter: Great job! Proud of you for your one day at a time approach! You can do it. As for me, the end of the competition was a huge letdown. Much more so than I thought it would be. I was disappointed that I didn't win, and then it was just hard to maintain the focus. I'm working hard to get it back, so I set a mini goal of losing 50 lbs by July. I needed something to strive for, I think. But, the intensity is not back yet. I think I'm finally over the disappointment, but still trying to keep up a strong pace. (Thanks for asking! It helped to put that out in writing.)

Still keeping it going with the gym. Spin class was today. I was late getting up, so I was a little late getting to the class. I almost talked myself into not going, so I'm claiming victory for getting there! :)

Have a good one!

calluna
04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. :)

@Romeo, I think the thing that I find most challenging is focusing on my eating problem, not my weight problem. It's much easier to focus on pounds and calories.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
@Carter: WOO, hopefully it’s more than one day on plan now. I am not familiar with Passover at all but if you are resisting temptation then you are doing great!
I am not disappointed (ok – maybe a little!) but I also know that it is currently my own fault. I am not sticking as strictly as I should to my 1,400 – 1,600 calories. I keep ending up at 1,800 – 2,000 and it’s frustrating because I know I am BORED eating which is my biggest weakness and not hitting the gym as much. I will get back on the right track – just might be a little slowe than I want.

@Slashnl: Talking yourself into going even when exhausted is impressive so I give you complete props and much credit for that. I have been so tired in the mornings I’ve only made it one day this week (Tuesday). I wish I could kick myself in the rear and get there like you do.
And trust me – I am terrified out of my poor little mind but this too shall pass.
@Calluna: I understand that because I am the same way (provided I understand what you are saying). My weight really ISN’T my biggest problem – the fact that I eat like I am starving and I love food so much is. I need to build a thicker skin around food and I am sure my weight will be much less of an issue.

As for myself – like I said, I am slinking in here shamefaced and a little OP but trying to find my north star. Exhaustion is kicking my butt and willpower but at least I am acknowledging that I am the one making terrible food/exercise choices (not blaming anyone else) which is a step in the right direction. I was talking to a friend on WW (she has managed to gain 8 lbs on it and is so discouraged) so I suggested we try a program together (Shred or Super Shred) since I have a friend who LOVES it. Maybe it will work but I am nervous. Anyone on here every tried any of those book programs?

Slashnl
04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi all. Not much to say today. I took a day off from the gym today. Just feeling a little too sore and tired, but I'll go back tomorrow. I don't mind working out, it makes me feel good, but I'm with all of you with the food issue. I love it and I struggle with keeping at a deficit!

calluna
04-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Good morning, everyone! I had a good day yesterday, even finding a little time to squeeze in a brisk walk with #1 son (who is super fit). Hoping that today will go as well.

It's nice that it is warming up a bit outside - not freezing so much at night - and the snow is mostly gone. Soon I'll get the bikes out! Mine will whimper in fear when I approach it, no doubt... ;)

Wannabehealthy
04-18-2014, 09:50 AM
This thread should be the busiest on the forum because I think anyone who says they have never regained is a liar. It's the nature of weight loss. The important thing is to see it for what it is, get right back on the wagon and lose it all over again. Unfortunately, this is a life long struggle.

calluna
04-18-2014, 01:56 PM
@Wannabe, it is/will be a lifelong effort for me. It's pretty hard for a lot of us to think about the regain, though... let alone admit it in a public forum. :)

@Romeo, you understand me correctly. I have all sorts of eating behaviors, and some of them are pretty destructive. Not all, thank goodness.

Slashnl
04-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Calluna: Funny comment about the bike. I always think that my horse says the same thing when she sees me coming with my saddle. :) Hopefully, I will keep lightening her load.

Wannabe: That's the truth. I know of very few who haven't had some kind of relapse, and regain. We just have to keep trying! There isn't any other option!

Looking forward to the weekend. I'm ready! Today is my daughter's 20th birthday. She recently moved out and so we're going to do a little shopping for her new place. Should be fun! Tonight is pizza and cake.... will have to find a little discipline. :)

calluna
04-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Slashnl, I used to have horses when I lived in PA. In AK, it's too expensive to keep them and so it is a bike for me. I hope you go for a ride on this beautiful day! (at least it is here...)

heybabyquepaso
04-21-2014, 02:26 AM
This is me to a T. I went from 220 to 165 in 2010/11 because of WW and then, largely due to stress of going to school and then getting a job that provided ample temptation to binge while working in my car, I gained it all back. I'm currently at 226 and feeling super down. I imagine that I struggle with what others struggle with here- emotional eating on poor choices, not enough activity, etc.

A few posts up, someone mentioned the Shred, which I have done with some success before. The key is (ugh) consistency. I've also done the c25k program but right now, I'm not doing anything :S

carter
04-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Hey kids! :coffee:

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I was out of town for my brother's wedding which was a MAGNIFICENT party. I didn't overeat at all, I'm delighted to say. I might have had some wine here and there ;). I'm hoping that all the Caribbean dancing worked that off though - my lovely delightful loveable delicious new sister-in-law is Trinidadian, and you better believe her family didn't let me stop moving as long as there was music playing.

I've got to run and get my week started - wishing everyone good luck and good strength.

SugarRomeoTango4852
04-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Happy Belated Easter, All!

Good job to everyone who stayed OP through this holiday and I hope everyone had a great time.

I, unfortunately, was thrown completely off the wagon and I've no idea when it happened - Friday night I think? My TOM is coming and that always makes me very...apathetic? I am trying to be good and get back on my plan today but I am still in the very "meh" mood. I didn't get to the gym this morning since I work until 1030pm tonight but I am trying to convince myself to get there tomorrow morning.

Since it is getting nice out, I am trying very hard to convince myself to do stuff at home after work - even if "stuff" is just a brisk walk around the block.

Slashnl
04-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Hey everyone! Sounds like it was a pretty good weekend for everyone. Mine was good, too. Indulged a little, but too crazy. It was a busy, busy weekend with Easter and my daughter's birthday on Friday.

I managed to eek out a 1.4 pound loss. I was kind of hoping for more, but that's ok. I went to spin this morning, which was good. I had gone to spin on Saturday and the one instructor I really don't like was there. I stayed, but she really drives me crazy. She was all into Easter, and she put a plastic flower and a piece of CANDY on each bike. Seriously??? Candy???? I didn't take it. She doesn't seem to get that we're not there to be entertained, we're there to workout. Constantly talks about the music she chose, she sings along, she tells you that if you don't want to push yourself, it is ok. UGH. She said she's going to be there next Saturday too, so I'll have to decide if I want to go. I usually can get a good workout in, by just tuning her out and pushing myself, but that's irritating. Maybe I'll just do something else.

Well, have a good week!

carter
04-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Hi folks. :coffee: Still managing to string together days more or less on plan (this is good enough for me, really, if I can avoid the all-out binges I am content). It will be a while before that translates into scale results but I'm trying to stay focused on the behaviors.

Passover ends tonight. It's been helpful to me, and I need to find a way to carry that discipline forward. In case you don't know, the Passover restrictions forbid me to eat anything made out of any grains at all, except for a flat, cracker-like bread called matzah that is prepared in a particular way. If it's a grain product, and it isn't made out of matzah, I can't eat it. So that means the muffins and bagels set out at work yesterday for people to grab on their way over to watching the marathon were off limits to me. It means that no matter how much I might want cookies after lunch, a higher authority compels me to resist them. (I am not a terribly religious person as far as my beliefs go but adherence to religious traditions seems to matter to me - if I'm going to bother doing it at all, I'm going to do it properly.)

Anyway blah blah Passover is ending but I still need to treat the muffins and bagels and cookies and candy and pretzels as off-limits. I'm going to have the house to myself for the next two weeks and that is an especially tough time to stay focused. It's just too easy to binge under those circumstances.

So, here goes.

Wannabehealthy
04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
This is why it's so important to find an eating plan you can live with the rest of your life instead of a diet. I finally faced the fact that low-carb is the plan for me. I have increased my vegetable intake and lowered the carbs. On Easter, I decided to relax a bit and I ate a ham sandwich (2 slices of light bread) and potato salad. After the pat 6 weeks of faithfully following low carb, eating this food made me feel bloated and terrible the rest of the day. It was such a noticeable difference after focusing on vegetables all this time. I had no interest in eating leftovers the next day. The potato salad went down the garbage disposal. I'm sure I am not going to eat low carb 100%, but it is my main food plan from here on it. I realize it is not for everyone.

Olivia7906
04-22-2014, 12:18 PM
This is why it's so important to find an eating plan you can live with the rest of your life instead of a diet. I finally faced the fact that low-carb is the plan for me. I have increased my vegetable intake and lowered the carbs. On Easter, I decided to relax a bit and I ate a ham sandwich (2 slices of light bread) and potato salad. After the pat 6 weeks of faithfully following low carb, eating this food made me feel bloated and terrible the rest of the day. It was such a noticeable difference after focusing on vegetables all this time. I had no interest in eating leftovers the next day. The potato salad went down the garbage disposal. I'm sure I am not going to eat low carb 100%, but it is my main food plan from here on it. I realize it is not for everyone.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I limit my starchy carbs to only twice a week, while the rest of the week is fruits, veggies, healthy fats, meats, herbs & spices. It creates a good balance where you don't have to cut them out completely, but you monitor how often you eat them :)

Slashnl
04-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Carter: Glad it is working for you. You sound happier, and that's good news! Keep going one day at a time!

WannaBe: It is definitely a plus for everyone to find what works for them. If low carb is good for you, then it is great for you to stick with that plan!!

I'm doing good with keeping on plan. While I wish the numbers on the scale would plummet, I've been keeping a good overall loss. Must be patient! Went to Body Pump today. It was insanely hot in the gym for some reason. Sweaty! But, good workout.

Have a good one!

carter
04-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Wannabehealthy's post made me stop and think for a bit. She says that regains are the reason one needs to find a plan one can stick with for the rest of one's life. But I do not consider my regain a failing in my plan. I regained because I stopped sticking to my plan as assiduously as maintenance requires.

I suppose it's arguable that this is evidence that my plan isn't sustainable, but since I lost 120 pounds over three years on that plan, I think it's pretty sustainable. Moreover, you can flip around my regain, and say, I maintained 100 pounds of my weight loss for nearly two additional years, despite not always sticking to my plan. Not too many people have an achievement like that under their belts (so to speak).

"For the rest of your life" is popular diet wisdom. But (speaking only for myself) I find it somewhat daunting and counterproductive: If I have the rest of my life, why should I bother sticking to my plan today? The procrastinator in me needs to think more immediately than that. I need a plan I can stick to today, right now. That doesn't mean I give no thought to sustainability at all; I guess there is a balance to strike, between the laser-like focus on the choice in front of me that propels me forward right now, and the long-term sustainability that I needed to lose over 100 pounds and keep it off.

Maybe "for the time being" or "indefinitely" is a better formulation of that, for me, than "for the rest of your life." If there is one thing I have learned in 42 years of life, three careers, and many relationships, it is that nothing in my life is immutable. I will stick to my plan for the time being, and if it needs adjusting down the line, I will adjust.

Is the regain I am currently struggling with evidence that my plan needs adjusting? I don't think so, but it is a question worth thinking about nonetheless.

Arctic Mama
04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Carter I'm with you, it's not my plan but my lack of adherence to it, and it isn't the composition of the plan but sheer laziness on my part and too much justifying of too many treats. Then not buckling down immediately to get the bounce of weight back off.

The solitoon is white knuckling it a few days and getting back to what I know works, not tweaking. Tweaking rarely works for me these days, because I've already tweaked enough years to know what works and what doesn't. My body didn't magically change, even if my determination and discipline temporarily did :lol:

Arctic Mama
04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
This thread should be the busiest on the forum because I think anyone who says they have never regained is a liar. It's the nature of weight loss. The important thing is to see it for what it is, get right back on the wagon and lose it all over again. Unfortunately, this is a life long struggle.

Oh I don't know if they're liars, some of us just don't struggle with maintaining as much as others for a variety of reasons. I've never regained more than ten pounds since I began losing weight except right now, where I'm up about 13 (starch on Resurrection Sunday and sick) and working back down. And this is a very abnormal freak out I've been in for a few weeks. Generally speaking maintenance is very doable if you're diligent, and regains are not guaranteed, but that means it takes work every day to keep it that way.

When you pout and indulge like I did and then decide to be lazy about the work to fix it, a regain is expected. But that doesn't mean it wasn't preventable to begin with ;)

calluna
04-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Hey there,

I ate some salty ham on Easter and am still trying to slough off the sodium bounce. Makes me grumpy, even if I know I didn't gain 3 lbs between one day and the next. :)

Headed out of town this weekend to take #1 son to a junior olympics swim meet. Will have to be careful, but I think we'll be ok.

Arctic Mama
04-23-2014, 01:54 PM
That sodium will get you every time! Me too, btw. You're not alone in suffering at the alter of yummy pork ;)

Olivia7906
04-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Several weeks back, I ate a whole 9 oz bag of Herr's Jalapeno Popper Cheese Puffs (3,150mg of sodium) and then the next day went to Buffalo Wild Wings and ate 7 carribbean jerk wings, a small order of beer batter onion rings for lunch AND then went to Red Robins for dinner and ate a tavern burger with fries. Can I say sodium overload? Over the course of the next couple days, I had become so swollen in my legs and gained at least 3-5 pounds of water weight. My bra was tighter and I was visibly swollen. It was crazy. When I pressed my legs near my ankles, they left these HUGE indentations. Excess sodium is no joke!

jodoto
04-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Oh my gosh, Olivia...you are almost to the 180's! What the heck are you doing? You have lost weight so fast! It's incredible! You go Girl! You sure left me in your tracks! Jodoto

Olivia7906
04-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi jodoto! Where have you been? lol The reason my weight loss goes fast at least one week out of the month is because I juice for 7 days out of the month. It is part of my weight loss / detoxification plan ;) I posted to you in the 2'teens thread. Nice to have you back!! :D

Slashnl
04-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Ah yes, sodium is so hard to handle! I didn't have ham, but we had a pork roast and other goodies. It took awhile to get past that!

Carter: Well said. I like what you posted. I do think that what I am doing now is a form of what the rest of my life should be. When I get to goal, will I be so dedicated to recording everything I eat? I don't think so. But I do know that I won't be burying my head in the sand and avoiding the scale ever again. I have to stay disciplined with that and face the reality.

Calluna: Good luck with the swim meet! It is hard to keep on plan when you're travelling!

calluna
04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Diane! It will be a challenge to eat well while out of town, but at least my SO will be at home, which makes it a lot easier. He's the worst for wanting to go to restaurants that serve rich food when we're out. Since my son is such a dedicated swimmer and this is a high-stakes meet, he's likely to want to eat cleanly.

The sodium bounce is off, but it seems as though I'll have to wait until next week to see if I actually lost anything this week. :) I'll try to make sure I'm pleasantly surprised on Monday!

bravome
04-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi! I'm new, but wanted to jump in with my sincere congratulations to the long term dedication posted! I can relate first hand to considering plateau or regain a failure after success (I'm there right now.)
Absolutely not a suffering in my plans but a break in my discipline.
This week placing major focus on my water intake! Sodium balance and curbing reflexive and stress eating. And I have a cold... so putting a cramp in my exercise.

Slashnl
04-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Bravome: Having a cold is just such a pain when you're trying to exercise! Hang in there.

Calluna: Have a great time with your son. That's so cool!

I took a look at the scale this morning and it looked really good. I'm hoping for some great numbers by Monday's official weigh in. I took off today to do some stuff here at home. I'll have to be careful to not eat too much. Way too much temptation to be lazy and graze.....

I had someone who I would consider to be an advanced rider in spin class tell me today that she thinks I've really improved and have gained a lot of strength in Spin. Wow. I am so excited to hear that! She made my day. It also made me think of the opportunities I have missed to let someone else know that I've noticed their hard work and persistance. :)

Slashnl
04-28-2014, 12:58 PM
Hope everyone had a good weekend! Mine was pretty good. I had taken off on Friday to do some stuff at home. It took me forever, but I got all my windows cleaned, inside and out. I have a one story house, but it is up on a stemwall, so I needed a ladder for a lot of it. Up and down....many, many times. I was pretty sore and tired that night.

But, had a good weigh in this morning, 2.2 pounds down. I'm looking forward to getting the next 10 off. Then, I'll finally have this recent regain... re-lost.

calluna
04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
We had a great weekend with my son at the Junior Olympics - he did really well. I don't know what the scale will look like after my body settles back into "normal" again, but I did not overeat and that is a victory all by itself. Not all choices were healthy choices, but on the whole I think I did ok.

Good weigh in, Diane! Yeah!

Sakurai
04-29-2014, 06:22 AM
Hey guys! I'm so glad that I found this thread. This is my story too, and I'm realizing that I really can't do this on my own. I've yoyo'd more times than I want to count, and I'm ready to be done with that. (+1 for a year of frustration and apathy.)

I hit my max weight at 278 about 8 years ago, at age 26. I had a life event that resulted in a period of anxiety, and the only thing that made the shaking go away was exercising. Even after the anxiety went away (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy 4tw), since I'd gotten started losing weight, I felt amazing and kept the momentum going. I took a nutrition class and began to balance my diet and count calories. I did reasonably well with eating, and though I really am not good at keeping up with exercising, I did it intermittently. Despite some mild yoyo'ing. I slowly (~ 4 years) made my way down to 176 lbs, which was lower than I'd been in 15 years.

102 lb weight loss - what an awesome accomplishment! That was 4 years ago. Then I started medical school, and stress/exhaustion set in, and I have done some absolutely ridiculous yoyo'ing over the last 4 years. It seems to depend on what rotation I'm on, what time of year, and how much time I have free... I go from letting things go to getting into a great pattern, and back to letting things go. I've made some great changes in the past that have worked, but then my schedule or work load change, and I so easily stay off the horse once I fall. But I absolutely am not able to stay on the horse without giving in now and then. I don't see my schedule changing in the foreseeable future. So I'm the one that needs to change.

I think simply coming here and talking it through with people, listening to your stories, will be a huge portion of what makes it work this time. It will help keep it in my mind that YES it matters a lot to me that I keep up with this, NO I am not alone in my struggles, YES it's possible to be successful, and NO I don't ever want to go back down that slippery slope.

I have some great motivations (besides my own health and feeling good and fitting in clothes etc, I don't want to be an obese doctor, and my classmates are all healthy and it's embarrassing to be chubby) but it's hard to keep that in the front of my mind when I'm hungry/eating. It's actually the opposite - it's as if everything else fades once I'm eating. I'm great at convincing myself that I'll eat less later to make up for it, or I'll exercise to cover the calories. But I've developed into a really good self-liar, still gullible for my own lofty intentions.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself! I'll be catching up on old posts to see how things have gone for you guys, and I plan to be around more from here on out! :D

Cat Bird
04-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Carter, on 4/23 you posted the following:"For the rest of your life" is popular diet wisdom. But (speaking only for myself) I find it somewhat daunting and counterproductive: If I have the rest of my life, why should I bother sticking to my plan today? The procrastinator in me needs to think more immediately than that. I need a plan I can stick to today, right now".......I copied it and plan to print it out and make sure I see it everyday.

This just hit me directly, a thought I have had in my mind for years and never pulled out to examine for myself. I don't have to worry about tomorrow because we never get tomorrow we only have today. I have lost and regained so many times and each time I look at tomorrow.

At 57, birthday this past weekend, I now have neuropathy and other medical issues that I know this weight, now 259 is not helping reduce the pain.

Really just wanted to thank you for putting it into words for this procrastinator.

Slashnl
04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Calluna: Glad you had a good weekend. It sounds like it was a success. So good that you get to go to those types of things!

Sakurai: Good post! Glad you are joining us. I think you have a lot of wisdom to share and hopefully, we can all support each other as we move forward!

Cat Bird: Carter.... ONE SMART COOKIE!!

I did a little calculation yesterday. If I want to make my July 1st goal, I'll need to lose on average 2.1 pounds per week. I'm not sure if that will happen, but I'm hoping that gives me the extra push to keep up with exercise and staying on plan.

Had a massive fail on a calorie replacement idea. I'd always heard that you can substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt, but thought it might work. Tried it on a taco. YUCK! Ok, that's not going to happen again. I'll cut down on the amount of sour cream, but that was not a good substitution. :)

Sakurai
04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
I LOVE fat free sour cream. It has really low calories. Try a different brand if you don't like the one you've had before! It's especially great in things - I put it in my tomato soup or lentil soup (lentejas, a Mexican recipe).

Recipe:
Bag of the regular brownish/greeninsh lentils
2 large tomatoes and 1/3 white onion, blended to puree
1 heaping spoon of chicken bouillon (or fake chicken bouillon is also really good!)

Lentils - check for dirt/stones, rinse, and boil in pot ~ 20 mins
Pour tomato/onion puree in and add bouillion - another ~ 15 mins
Add salt to taste
Add a dallop of fat free sour cream when serving

Nom. Great natural protein, no fat , delicious.