100 lb. Club - Regainers regaining control, and relosing

Pages : 1 [2]

FabulousFifty
04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
This thread got me to join the 3 Fat Chicks site because I saw myself in all these posts. I really was feeling good when I had lost a bunch of weight 2 1/2 years ago. I think my body and I may both be ready to lose weight now, so I think it’s time to give it a try - again.

I have 110 pounds to lose - but I was about 63 pounds lighter about two and a half years ago. I lost the weight over the course of a year doing low carb - but low carb for me was really low - like 20 carbs per day or less - and I was unable to keep it up after a year.

About this time last year (May 2013), I realized the gastrointestinal difficulties I had been having were not normal and they seemed to be getting worse, so I gave up gluten (99.8%) for the past year. That seemed to improve things somewhat, but not completely so then I gave up my diet Pepsi **sniff** (and diet Coke), and then I gave up dairy **Ouch! Dairy made low carb so much more livable**. Then I stumbled upon an article on probiotics about a month ago, and after doing a bunch of research to discover what makes a good probiotic and taking these for a few weeks, I decided it was time to reintroduce some foods… So, over the last few days I've discovered I can again eat gluten, dairy and other foods that were giving me issues. (I’m not going back to drinking diet soda though – that was a good thing to quit!)

Anyway, now that my gastrointestinal issues seem to be resolved, I am hoping that my body may finally be ready to lose the weight it has seemed determined to hang on to for so long. About 27 years ago I got down to maybe 150 pounds (from 185) right before I got married when I was 23, but the weight started to creep back on, and on, and way beyond that over the next few years.

Soooooo….. now,

I want to lose this excess weight.
I want to be skinny – I would love to try out and maintain 155 pounds.
I want to be healthy.
I want to eat healthy food that tastes good and is satisfying and filling.
I want to make time every day to exercise.
I want room in my life for some indulgence.

I want to be FabulousFifty ☺

And, since I'm new and can't have a fancy signature yet, I'll go old style:

272/265/155

Slashnl
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
FabulousFifty: Welcome! It sounds like you've been through a lot over the past few years. Glad you're here with us and ready to re-lose! You can do it! Oh, and I'm 50 and live in Colorado too!

Sakurai: Ok.... never thought about trying fat free sour cream. That's kind of a no brainer, isn't it? :) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that! I just have trouble justifying the extra calories with full calorie sour cream, so I'll get some fat free. That recipe sounds AWESOME!

Had a great spin class today. It was hard, but I kind of like the extra challenge of this instructor. She's always been really strong and fit, but lately she changed her diet and has dropped some weight. NOW she's really aggressive with the class. Love it! She just grins when everyone else gasps for breath.

carter
05-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone. :coffee:

Cat Bird, I'm so glad that what I said resonated for you. I've been struggling so much myself lately that it's good to have the reminder that I have figured some stuff out and just need to find the discipline to apply what I already know works.

Slashnl - thanks. :) If I were so smart, I'd be able to stop at one cookie. ;)

FabulousFifty - Welcome to our little thread - good luck and good strength.

Slashnl
05-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Carter: Yeah, I typed it in and thought... cookie... yum! Maybe that wasn't the best phrase to use! :)

Made it to Body Pump today. Thursdays always seem to be my worst day for working out. I don't know if I am getting tired by Thursday, or if it is just that Body Pump... while good for me... is just not my favorite class. It isn't horrible, but it isn't as much fun as Spin. But, need the weights...

calluna
05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Hello, everyone who's persevering in spite of regains...

I'm still plugging away. Ate well yesterday in spite of lunch out with a friend, and today will face a similar challenge with colleagues. I'm getting better at it, I think. Maybe.

Enjoying wearing a pair of pants that isn't tight and a shirt that I was too embarrassed to wear a few weeks ago. Life is good.

FabulousFifty
05-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Slashni & Carter: Thanks for the welcome!

Sakurai: And welcome to the other newby here!

Slashni: Nice to see another 50 year old from Colorado here!

So one problem with giving up so many different foods for a year is now that I can eat them again, I have to be careful not to eat them all at once! Did a little of that yesterday….

Cities and towns in Colorado are competing against each other in May for the Colorado Get Movin' Challenge - so I've signed up to do 30 minutes of activity every day in May. Just what I need!

But birthday cake tonight for my hubby's birthday!

Stacyp
05-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Hey everyone great thread. So I did ip jan 2012 and lost 70 pounds. I was down to 207 and now weigh 307. Today was my first day back on program I am using the protein shakes from cosco as the clinic in my town has shut down. I am excited to start but obviously want not to repeat the last experience. Just going to focus on phase one 100% one day at a time.

Slashnl
05-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Welcome Stacyp! Yep, we can all understand where you are with not wanting a repeat. Hang with us and we'll help support you while you help support us! We can do this together!

Calluna: I think I noticed that your ticker went down a little more today! Good job!

Fabulous: Gotta have cake on a birthday!! We're coming up on my son's graduation from High School and his 18th birthday... there will be cake. And I'm having some!! Just have to watch how much I have!! :)

So glad it is Friday! Looking forward to a very nice weekend here, in the 80's! Yes!!!!

Have a good weekend!

Stacyp
05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Thx Slashnl I really think being on the site getting support from people who can relate will make a huge difference this time. Today is day two and I'm doing great!! I feel gross and I have a headache that won't stop but I know like last time it will only last the first week:) I lost 14 pounds my first week last time so I'm excited to weigh in on Thursday. I also did a smash book journal on my weight loss last time and I'm going to start it again.

calluna
05-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Hello, peeps! Stay on plan, stacyp - the grossness will pass, as you know. :)

I'm still hanging out at 258.2, and we'll see what the weekend brings.

FabulousFifty
05-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Welcome, Stacey! I'm new here too. What is ip?

Got my bike out this morning. The weather is beautiful and I like riding it to run errands - makes me feel like I'm getting something done while I exercise.

Trying to make sure I exercise every day!

Just weighing once a week though. Weighing every day really feels like weight watching instead of monitoring progress.

Slashnl
05-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi all! Checking in for the weekend! I'll weigh in tomorrow, so no changes yet. BUT.... I do have an NSV!!! I was moving my winter clothes to the storage room, and taking out my summer clothes. Since I leave so early in the mornings for the gym, without trying on outfits (because I shower and dress at the gym after workouts), I thought that I would try some of the clothes on to see how they fit. Wow! There are quite a few shirts that were too tight to wear last year that I can wear now! Now all but one of the button up shirts can be buttoned! I don't HAVE to wear them open, over a tank top. I also thought I needed more shorts for the summer since I had so few last summer. Well, I have more now because some that didn't fit last summer, now fit! So excited!

Stacyp
05-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Thx calluna and fabulous fifty!! Ip is ideal protein:) Slasnl that's fantastic!!! What a great motivator.

FabulousFifty
05-05-2014, 12:17 AM
So nice to have clothes fit! Gratz Slashni!

:-)

lookin2lose
05-05-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm baaaack! Again! I lost 93lbs back in 2010. After getting married in 2011 and having a son in 2012...I've gained all and more back. My husband and I have re-focused over the last few weeks and have our plan together. We're ready to tackle this thing together and for one last time! I've modified my plan a little to include healthier varieties of food, instead of focusing only on low-calorie options. But I'm counting calories again, which always seems to keep me focused in the long run. Good luck to everyone, I really missed being around this board!

Slashnl
05-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Lookin2lose: Welcome back! You'll get back to where you were, I'm sure of it. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Feeling pretty good this morning. I was hoping to break into the 250's today, but only had a 1.4 lb loss. But TOM is today, too. So, maybe at next week's weigh in. Went to Spin class this morning. The numbers of people there are starting to dwindle. It usually is like that going into summer.

Have a good week everyone!

Sakurai
05-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I figured some things out recently, and I hope it might help some of you too!

1) After each meal, if I brush my teeth with something like Colgate (which is intense and leaves a strong minty-ness behind) nothing tastes normal for quite a while afterwards. So this will help deter me from snacking - it won't taste good anyway! And the freshness feels good. ^__^

2) I recently realized that because I have GERD and allergies with post-nasal congestion, I always feel like I want to swallow. (Don't take that the wrong way ;)) Swallowing something feels good, as it satisfies that "swallow" signaling. I think my entire life that my mind has associated that satisfaction with the pleasure of eating tasty food, because both happen together - which has trained me to feel like eating when I feel that pressure in my throat.

I figured this out because my allergies are piqued, my throat feels like I need to clear it all the time, and I simultaneously feel that sense of false-hunger more than usual.

Am I the only one who feels this? It's going to be extremely hard to reprogram 34 years of conditioning. But maybe by actually treating my allergies this year, I might feel it less!

Slashnl
05-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Sakurai: I don't have the issue with allergies and swallowing, but I think you are probably right that it encourages that feeling of hunger. I will agree with the brushing your teeth. I do that in particular right after dinner. There are those in my house who can have sweets later in the evening, and I don't want to be tempted. So, I brush my teeth and use a fairly intense flavor of mouthwash. Then, I know I'm done for the night. Good thoughts!

Went to Body Pump today. I almost didn't go, because I overslept a little, but I made it. Glad I did. It was hard, but I think that's good. Then at work, two people said that they have noticed that I've lost a lot of weight. Yay! I think it might be the more summery clothes I've been wearing. Finally put the long sleeve, heavy stuff away. But, always good to hear!

lookin2lose
05-06-2014, 11:26 AM
I like the way you think Sakurai and Slashnl....I'll have to try that!

Slashnl, glad you made it to you workout this morning...feels so good to get it done after the thought of not going!

Good job!!!

SugarRomeoTango4852
05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Hey All - I hope everyone is doing well in their regaining control.

I, personally, have been a mess. >_< My father came home from physical rehab last week and he wasn't ready. We just can't take care of him and it is throwing me into a stress cycle that is..well...nearly unbearable. I was over by a LOT of calories yesterday. Not because I really over ate but because I choose to eat at a Friendly's for comfort and trust me...it's a trap. One sandwich and waffle fries set me back 2,000 calories alone.

I DID make it to the gym Monday - with all intention of going every day this week - but we were up most of Monday and then last night - because my father was extremely ill and refusing medical treatment. It's not a good situation.

But I will pick myself back up and get on the horse somehow - I just need sleep and I will try again Monday for a full week of exercise (won't go tomorrow morning because I don't know if I will sleep tonight and I work 11 hours on Friday so thats out). I'm currently at reaching the end of my rope but I'm typing a knot to hold on for dear life, that's for sure.

I really hope everyone else is doing well.

Slashnl
05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Lookin2lose: I wanted to tell you that I like the quote in your signature about your body keeping an accurate journal regardless of what you write down. So true! Like it helps to track the wrong amount of calories.

SRT4852: Darn! Sounds like you have a lot to deal with right now. I am sorry you have to go through all of that. It is hard enough to work on losing weight and going to the gym, but then life gets in the way and adds to the burden. Count it as a victory that you made it on Monday. And next week is a new week to meet that goal of going for a full week. Hang in there! We're all here to support you!!

Went to spin class this morning. I should have known we were in for it when the instructor said she wanted to try something different. Oh my. Kicked my butt. I think it was a great workout, but I was not having fun in the middle of it. Sweaty, sweaty, sweaty.

calluna
05-07-2014, 11:47 AM
My family has had the flu cycling through. I have both kids home and me right now, although my SO is back to work today. Miserable week.

lookin2lose
05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Slashnl...I tell myself that daily...and now have been living by it since the first week back on plan is so difficult!

Calluna, hang in there...sick houses are not fun...but it will pass soon! It's hot here in Texas so with the kids outside again we've gotta a little break from cold and flu season...hope it didn't just jinx it!

lookin2lose
05-08-2014, 11:37 AM
SugarRomeoTango - hang in there...just flipped back to the previous page and saw your rough week! Sleep is just as essential to weightloss as diet and exercise!

Hope the rest of your week gets better and hope your dad starts feeling better too! :hug:

Slashnl
05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Calluna: That's where you have been! I missed you! Hope everyone gets over the sickness soon!

Went to Body Pump today. My shoulder is whining now. I am glad they are changing up the routine next week, there is something about this routine that just really bothers my shoulder.

A lady at the gym asked me if I've been losing weight. I told her that I was and she said that she noticed. Love her! Don't know her, but ... love her!!

Sakurai
05-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Sounds like several of you have had rough weeks! Keep up your spirits and nourish yourself. Take at least a little time just to yourself, listen to music, browse through your fav lolcats - whatever it takes to refresh yourself even just a little.

lookin2lose, I copied your sig quote into my inspiration journal too! It perfectly says what I repeatedly try to deny! XD

My pledge for this weekend:
Saturday is a weekly tradition to eat out, and I have been over-splurging. This saturday, I'm subtracting 1 from each item I eat: 1 less slice of pizza, 1 less ball of ice cream. My body doesn't look the other way! :D

Slashnl
05-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Sakurai: Sounds like a good plan, to cut out one item from your splurge list. I am a firm believer in that you can still eat what you want to eat occasionally, but you need to just not overindulge!

I'll be taking some time off next week for my son's HS graduation, so today is a busy day at work. Oh yay.

Have a good weekend!

Sakurai
05-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Focusing on being more intuitive along with everything else is working! I turned down a chocolate crepe today, stopped eating when I no longer felt hungry (before full!) and didn't snack at night. :D

terichelle
05-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Been struggling with complete lack of motivation and regaining for months now. Although other than a few attempts, or intended attempts lol, none of them lasting more than about 1 day, I haven't even tried to be on plan. Gave it up as a lost cause and munched my way through everything nice I could imagine! I'm feeling newly committed at the moment though, and today is day five of my being back on track. So I'm kind of easing back into everything again. Got weighed for the first time in ages and my weight was at 226.5. Could've been worse I guess. Hopefully this time next week I'll see it go down!

It's strange I found it hard to notice the weight coming off, but even just gaining a stone from my lowest weight 7 months ago, I've really felt, and visually noticed it going back on.

FabulousFifty
05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Finally made it back! Been sooooooo busy. Not much time to excerise the last few days - and rain and hail kept me inside too. Did some aerobic housecleaning today though. :-)

I joined the May daily weigh-in group - but just weighing weekly to stay accountable and recording exercise daily. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have realized I lost a pound this week if I hadn't. Better than nothing and way better than gaining. Off track a little because of all the birthdays in my family in the last week and a half.

Stay motivated everyone! ;)

Off to another birthday dinner…...

Slashnl
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi Everyone! Had a good weekend, although it is cold and it's been raining a lot. Getting ready for my son's graduation tomorrow. My parents are coming, so should be a good time. I had a great weigh in today, lost 2.8 pounds, which put me into the 250's!!! Very excited. In a little over 5 pounds, I'll have relost the recent regain. Then, I want to keep moving that number lower.

Terichelle: Join us, keep posting, and we'll try to help keep you motivated and get back to losing!

Sakurai: Good job on saying no!

FabulousFifty: Congrats on losing!! It's hard to stay on track with celebrations going on. I'm going to try to stay reasonably on plan the next few days, but I'm also not going to avoid the celebration!

carter
05-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Hey folks. I just want to check in quick to say: I am still here, but I had to take a break from 3FC for a while. I'm still struggling but trying to get myself back on plan. I will try to check in daily again and stick to my plan each day.

<3

Slashnl
05-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Carter: Good to see you. I'm sorry you're struggling. I hope it gets better for you soon.

I'm back at work after taking off for graduation. Just trying to get back in control of things!! I didn't stay on plan, but I didn't want to worry about it. I just wanted to celebrate. So, back to it today!

Sakurai
05-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Hey guys! So I got one of these and put it on my fridge. It's an accurate replicate of 1 ounce of body fat. It's rubbery and has a magnet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PQT36pxJL._SX425_.jpg http://www.enasco.com/product/WA16933HR

It reminds me that this is what I would put on if I overeat by about 220 calories - reminding me not to reach for another snack!
It also reminds me that I can lose one of these every day if I have a calorie deficit of even just 220 each day. It's inspiring!

I put a tag "220" hanging off of it. I think it helps, especially if I move it around (so I don't get used to seeing it in one spot). :D

An ounce is 1/16th of a pound; ~3500 calories is a pound of fat tissue. It's not perfectly accurate for everyone's metabolism, but it's close enough - and a great visual representation.

Slashnl
05-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Sakura: Good idea. A squishy blob of fat. Good reminder!!

Well, I added 1.4 of those last week. Damn. So, I'm back up to 260. But with my son's graduation and birthday last week, I didn't stay on plan well enough. Oh well, back at it today.

Sakurai
05-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I regained 1 of 2 lbs I'd lost - graduation stuff this past week.

:carrot: BUT I consider it a victory that I'm becoming more in tune with my hunger level. I found that often there really is a point when even though I would enjoy keeping eating, I really don't have the same hunger as when I started, and I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I started either. It's not "full" (I almost never feel full either way) and it's not "not hungry anymore" (a rare phenomenon), but it's "I'd be okay stopping here." If I remind myself that I'll eat again later either way, I'm getting good at leaving it at that.

Caveat: Does not work with ice cream, so that will always be a serve-small-to-begin-with thing XD

Slashnl
05-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Sakurai: Yep, that's a great thing to learn! I feel that I've gotten better at that too. But, given too many days in a row of going a little off plan makes it really hard for me to rein it back in. I need to work on that.

And, that's what I'm doing this week. I've been really buckling down yesterday and today to get back down. This long weekend coming up might be a little tricky, so need to work hard now. I'll have to really try to be disciplined on the weekend, too.

Slashnl
05-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Sakurai
05-23-2014, 03:33 PM
You too, Slashnl! It got quiet in here :hug:

I got back on the horse this week too, and have kept at around 1200 cal per day! Haven't been to the gym tho >.< Next week! Overall 3 lb loss seems to be sticking. I'll take it!

This weekend I will:
Do my 1-less on Saturday, Bike on Sunday, and eat more veggies!

It helps that hubby is (finally back to being) 100% on board a heart-healthy diet. Encourages me to do the same because I'm in charge of food. (He does all other house chores <3<3<3)

I've gotten into a firm mindset finally, and I'm totally determined to weigh < 170 by the time I'm 35!

Slashnl
05-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Glad you are still here, Sakurai! Awfully quiet otherwise.

I'm taking a 3 day break from the gym, but still trying to watch my diet. We have a big baseball tournament here and I've been going to that. I will be back at the gym on Tuesday morning!

Enjoy!

FeraFilia
05-26-2014, 11:06 PM
I feel like this is a good place for me to be, too...

I was here back in 2011 and 2012, and I went from right at 300 down to 248 or so... quit paying such close attention, and jumped back up to 280... then got back down to 260... and then the end of 2012, all of 2013, and the beginning of 2014 were full of so many stresses that I gained ALL of it back, plus some, until I hit 330. Got serious 2 weeks ago, and have managed to take 7 of it back off, but I'm needing to find the weight loss focused me again. I remember that me, and I like her a lot.

Slashnl
05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
FeraFilia: Welcome! Sounds like you are ready to get back to it! I certainly understand regaining due to stress.

I didn't make it to the gym today, I just couldn't get out of bed. So, I need to focus so that I get myself there tomorrow.

ubergirl
05-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind if I join in here. I'm back to peel off the twenty pounds I put on since September.

My story, in a nutshell, is that I lost 105 pounds back in 2010, then kept it off until early 2012 when I gained back about 70 of it pretty quickly. I managed to hold onto about a 35 lb loss, but during the last few months I crept up some more-- putting me only about 20 lbs below my high weight. Right now, my goal is to take off the 20 I put on recently and to kick start my exercise again.

I'm hoping to be able to see some quick results at the beginning to get me motivated!

FeraFilia
05-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi Uber! I think I remember you from when I was here on a previous account back in 2011 and 2012 (i think it was konfused or something - i lost access to the email, forgot my password, new beginnings yada yada)... I had lost over 50 pounds, and then in 18 months gained back 80 to hit a shiny new high weight.

I just came back after restarting 2 weeks ago.

Slashnl
05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Welcome Ubergirl! I remember you, too, from before. You can do this! You've done well in the past, so I know you can lose this 20 in no time!

I'm still going to the baseball tournament that is here in town, so I've been staying up too late at night... I haven't been going to the gym in the mornings. I'm giving myself a pass this week because I do not want to miss the games at night. But, I'm trying to keep disciplined in the food world so that I don't lose too much ground.

ubergirl
05-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Welcome Ubergirl! I remember you, too, from before. You can do this! You've done well in the past, so I know you can lose this 20 in no time!

I'm still going to the baseball tournament that is here in town, so I've been staying up too late at night... I haven't been going to the gym in the mornings. I'm giving myself a pass this week because I do not want to miss the games at night. But, I'm trying to keep disciplined in the food world so that I don't lose too much ground.

Hi Diane, I think I remember you too! Enjoy the baseball tournament. I think it's good to keep things flexible!

I'm kind of bummed because I have been weighing on an analog scale that I noticed wasn't super reliable, so I decided I better switch to my travel scale, digital, which has been up on a shelf unused for about a year. DANG. I'm 4 pounds heavier on this scale. At least I'm glad I got that over with.

I'm about halfway through day 2 and I'm looking forward to getting through today and tomorrow-- it always seems to get easier after the first 3 days.

FeraFilia
05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
it always seems to get easier after the first 3 days.

I second that! The "my hands aren't busy I need to snack" issue was my biggest problem on restarting.

I'm sorry to hear about the scale issues!

Slashnl
05-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Ugh! Never a good thing with switching scales, unless the new one weighs you less than what you thought! But, you have the new starting point and now you can just start watching the numbers fall!

So, I'm joining a new challenge for abs, squats and nutrition, starting June 1st. There is a set number of crunches/leg lifts/etc per day for the abs, the squats increase each day with a certain number of rest days, and the nutrition one is just cutting out certain foods like pop/chips/etc. This friend at work sent it to me, so I thought I would join! Maybe June will be a good month then!

FeraFilia
05-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Got off my butt and exercised for 30 minutes... sweaty, red faced, strap-on-the-HRM kinda exercise! 276 calories burned exercise. Woohoo!

ubergirl
05-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Got off my butt and exercised for 30 minutes... sweaty, red faced, strap-on-the-HRM kinda exercise! 276 calories burned exercise. Woohoo!

Excellent! I bet that felt good!

I'm trying to rein in the eating first then exercise next. Today is day 3 and I'm doing fine. Hanging in there!

Hope you all are having a good day!

FeraFilia
05-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Uber - That's what I did. I spent 2 weeks just getting used to the smaller portions and healthier foods again. Once I was sure I wasn't starving to death (apparently feeling satiated vs over-full = starving to death to me), I'm now adding in a little exercise. 30 minutes a few times a week to start. :)

ubergirl
05-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Uber - That's what I did. I spent 2 weeks just getting used to the smaller portions and healthier foods again. Once I was sure I wasn't starving to death (apparently feeling satiated vs over-full = starving to death to me), I'm now adding in a little exercise. 30 minutes a few times a week to start. :)

Excellent. I'm also planning to add exercise soon. In the long run, exercise helps manage my nerves which helps me manage overeating.

Slashnl
05-30-2014, 11:40 AM
FeraFilia: Nice work on the exercise! That's great!

Uber: Glad it is going well for you! You're starting with the most important part, so that's great getting your eating in check. I struggle with that the most! If I didn't make myself record my calories, I'd be even worse.

Went back to the gym today, first time this week. It felt great to be back there. Back on track!

ubergirl
05-30-2014, 11:52 AM
FeraFilia: Nice work on the exercise! That's great!

Went back to the gym today, first time this week. It felt great to be back there. Back on track!

Excellent! That's a great feeling!

I'm pretty pumped as I'm off to a swift start-- I've already dropped 4 lbs :carrot::carrot: of course I know a lot of it is water, but it's such a great feeling. I had the initial shock of changing scales and realizing my start weight was 5 pounds heavier than I thought. So now I'm one pound above where I thought I was when I started. The one great thing about restarting is how quick the weight comes off at first! The trick for me is going to be to stick with it. Since the regain, I've had a problem of sailing along for the first two weeks and then getting derailed. I want to be back where I was in 2010-2011 by June 2015. That gives me a whole year to get it back off. I think I can do it!!!!!

FeraFilia
05-30-2014, 12:41 PM
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I did it! 10 pounds gone as of this morning's weigh in!

Uber - That first week I finally got started losing again, my water-drop was over 6 pounds. It's a fantastic jump start to keep you motivated and keep moving!

You should look into a small rewards system. I'm an avid reader so after a discussion with the hubby, I get to buy a new book for one of the various series that I read every time I hit a 10 pound loss. :) Just a little something extra to work for.

ubergirl
05-30-2014, 09:49 PM
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I did it! 10 pounds gone as of this morning's weigh in!

Ten pounds! That is so super!!!!! Congratulations! I LOVE the idea of getting a new book too. I'm also a big reader.

Slashnl
05-31-2014, 04:36 PM
Good news from Uber and Fera! Glad you are doing so well!!

I'm weighing on Monday, so we'll see if I have good news to report, too!

FeraFilia
05-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Got my FitBit! :D

Now I just need to *use* it so it's not a waste of money. I love the flower thing. The more you move, the more it grows.

Good luck on your weigh in Diane!

ubergirl
05-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Got my FitBit! :D

Now I just need to *use* it so it's not a waste of money. I love the flower thing. The more you move, the more it grows.

Can't wait to hear how the fitbit works out for you.

I'm happy that I'm right on track to finish up day 5 of my restart.

Today actually was much easier-- yesterday I was starving. Seeing great downward motion on the scale, but my "official" weigh in won't be until Tues.

FabulousFifty
06-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Back again - things have been very busy here - but glad you all are still here and doing so well. Welcome to the new folks!

Got a new bike this month and have started exercising again. Trying to pay attention more to how I feel when I eat certain foods - remembering the foods that make me feel good afterwards - like salads and vegetables.

Between ups and downs, lost 2 3/4 lbs in May. Need to do well in June, going on vacation in July! Anyone else motivated by trying to fit better into an airplane seat?

FeraFilia
06-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Between ups and downs, lost 2 3/4 lbs in May. Need to do well in June, going on vacation in July! Anyone else motivated by trying to fit better into an airplane seat?

:wave: ME!

Well, not so much an airplane seat, but *definitely* a roller coaster seat/harness.

And a loss (any loss) is better than a gain, so be happy about that! :)

ubergirl
06-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Anyone else motivated by trying to fit better into an airplane seat?

Oh my gosh, me! Back in 2011 I was maintaining at about 190, but I regained up to 260-- but each time I've crept up over that, I force myself back down because above 260 I'm just not comfortable in airplanes. Now at 180-190, I fit with tons of room to spare. There is NOTHING worse than worrying about fitting on an airplane!

I'm super-pissed right now as I went out for dinner, not even because I really wanted to. Wasn't sure what to order, so I picked the turkey burger-- asked for no fries. I had plenty of calories left to play with because I had was very much on target-- so I get home and look up the turkey burger. 950 calories!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean seriously? What kind of turkey burger has 950 calories in it. Learned that lesson! Very bad restaurant choice-- even the "delightful" choices are incredibly calorie laden.

Slashnl
06-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi all! Had a good weigh in this morning. I lost 2.6 last week. I'm close to being where I was back in 2010, when I started the regain. Only 3 more pounds. Still a ways to go overall yet, but I'd like to hit that mini-goal!

Uber: Oh I know what you mean. It is so hard unless you can really take the time before you go out to eat somewhere to look it all up. What a pain. It is just amazing how high the calories can be in certain foods.

Fab50: Good to see you! Glad you had a loss for May, that is always a good thing.

FeraFilia: How's the fitbit? I have a friend here at work who has one. She loves it!

ubergirl
06-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi all! Had a good weigh in this morning. I lost 2.6 last week. I'm close to being where I was back in 2010, when I started the regain. Only 3 more pounds. Still a ways to go overall yet, but I'd like to hit that mini-goal!

Uber: Oh I know what you mean. It is so hard unless you can really take the time before you go out to eat somewhere to look it all up. What a pain. It is just amazing how high the calories can be in certain foods.

Fab50: Good to see you! Glad you had a loss for May, that is always a good thing.

FeraFilia: How's the fitbit? I have a friend here at work who has one. She loves it!

Diane: congratulations on the good weigh in. So great that you are back to your 2010 weight! I was thinking the other day that we always complain that weight gain is so fast and loss so slow, but really, you can lose 100lb in a year even if that 100lb took 20 years to gain. If you think of it that way, it's not so bad.:D

Official weigh in for me is tomorrow morning. Have a good day everyone!

FeraFilia
06-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Uber - it's not the turkey burger that had all the calories. It was the butter coated grilled bun, the mayo, the cheese, the breadcrumbs and eggs for filler in the burger, etc. All that stuff they have to throw in there to make turkey burgers palatable (I'm not a fan of ground turkey). Don't worry about it, too much. Going off plan once in a while isn't going to derail the long term. Might mess up the trend a bit with water retention from the sodium in restaurant food (currently has my fingers swollen from Mexican food last night), but in the grand scheme, even going over by 1000 on one day, if you're restricting your calories to lose 2 pounds a week, all that would do is have you maintain your weight, and just for that day. Most people are of the belief that weight loss will work with a rolling 7 day average of calories. So if you still have a deficit for the last 7 days, you'll still lose weight (even if the sodium bloat doesn't allow you to see it!) Stress not chickie, get back to it today and you'll be fine.

Diane - I'm loving my Fitbit! According to the website, I've walked over 7 miles since I put it on for the first time on Saturday! Looking forward to trying to keep up the average of 3+ miles a day!

ubergirl
06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Uber - it's not the turkey burger that had all the calories. It was the butter coated grilled bun, the mayo, the cheese, the breadcrumbs and eggs for filler in the burger, etc. All that stuff they have to throw in there to make turkey burgers palatable You are so right. :) I was in denial! The patty itself was 220 and everything else I guess adds up to 730. I like turkey burgers and eat them at home quite a bit: mine is a small bun (140) a turkey burger patty (170) and some lettuce onion and pickle. The whole kit and caboodle is under 400... course now I understand why that one tasted so darn good! Plus, the little buns that have 140 cals are probably a third as big as the giant buns at the restaurant. At least I enjoyed it.:)

FeraFilia
06-02-2014, 05:42 PM
I can eat other turkey things... But I tend to find ground turkey bland, and the texture a little weird. Turkey smoked sausage, breakfast sausage, bacon... all good. And oh man, the sweet italian turkey sausages for the grill, AMAZING. I just don't really like ground turkey/turkey burgers.

Here's a yummy find: Caramel Macchiato Greek Yogurt. It's full fat, 170 calories for the 5.3oz cup... BUT SO GOOD. I'm eating it with a smallish banana, so it's about 260 calories. Probably would make a good breakfast, but I'm eating it as a mid-afternoon snack.

SunnyMac
06-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi all
I'm hoping I can jump in here too. I am recommitting today. I posted in the intro board too. I was in this forum group before (2006 ish) and had successfully lost about 50 lbs ( I am just about 100 lbs overweight). Anyway I was going along doing well, got into a bad relationship and the rest is history. I gained back every pound. As much as I go through 'spurts' of trying I have not been successful yet at recommitting. I'm hoping coming here helps. I had a rough winter with a sprained ankle and a rough spring with bad poison ivy so even though I work out with a trainer once a week I just haven't been doing my homework. I haven't been working out like I should and my food.... It's bee awful. My biggest food struggle is actually alcohol. I am very much struggling with drinking too which is a major player in my weight problem as well as carbs in general. Pasta, bread, bad office snacks. Bad things you eat when you are hungover because you drank to much because you are sad about being fat and just feel defeated.

Today I'm recommitting to my health. I'm trying to own up and accept my mistakes getting off track. This site helped me accomplish that before so I'm coming back. We have taken all alcohol out of the house. Tomorrow I see the trainer. I'm assembling healthy calorie conscious meals for the rest of the week.... Calorie counting and exercise is what worked before. I'm hopping joining this thread is a good place for me to get back in the saddle. Thanks!

FeraFilia
06-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Hello Sunny!

It sounds like you have a whole lot on your plate to deal with right now. I wish you luck and hope to see you posting frequently! :)

FeraFilia
06-03-2014, 12:29 AM
I would just like to state for the record that I just made 3 dozen white chocolate dipped Oreo cookies and DIDN'T SAMPLE A SINGLE ONE. The only "tasting" I did was licking the melted white chocolate off of my fingers when I was finished. YAY WILLPOWER :D

SunnyMac
06-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks Fera it's great to be here.

I know it's only 10:22 am but I'm so far doing good and feeling good about today. My mind is much clearer than yesterday. I have better focus. I got up this morning and had an awesome 5am workout with my trainer, ate a balanced breakfast and actually made myself look nice for work today (vs ties hair up, skips makeup and wears jeans and flip flops every day). I'm now enjoying my mid-morning snack - pineapple and grapes! Day 1 on plan, day 2 off alcohol. I'm probably going to be reading the boards all day taking it more hour to hour than day to day right now while I'm building myself back up...but that's ok :) you guys are inspirational and I'd really like to break my bad streak and get out of the 240s asap.

Slashnl
06-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Welcome SunnyMac! So glad that you can join us! It is funny that even though it is so easy to get off track and gain the weight back, it really feels good to be on plan, exercising and eating right. I don't know why I forget that!! Good for you with your new plan!

Uber: Hope your weigh in is a good one! You're doing so well!

Fera: Good job on avoiding the Oreos. Those sound good!

Went to body pump this morning. It seemed harder than usual. I didn't go all last week, so that's a lot of it. And, I started the squat and abs challenge on Sunday, so that's been making me a little more sore. But, just need to push onward!

It was funny today. I had two people from the gym that I've seen, but I don't know them, mention that they think I look good and they can tell I've lost weight. While that is great, and I appreciate it, it also makes me a little uncomfortable. I have forced myself to just say thank you, rather than adding something like... Ya, but I have a long way to go. :) I just prefer my anti-social ways at the gym. But, I was nice... Ha!

FeraFilia
06-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Diane... Going to the gym is so hard for me. I'm always nervous people are gonna laugh at the fat girl dying and out of breath a low setting on the elliptical or something. I don't know what I'm gonna do when we leave the campus here and I don't get the "gym" to myself anymore. And I would definitely be a little uncomfortable with random people telling me they've noticed. So good job being gracious, you're stronger than I am!

Sunny... Good job taking it day by day! Too often people look at the end of the road and think it's too far to travel then get content where they are. I know, because I did this myself. One day at a time. :) If you want, over on the 300+ board I have a thread that you might like to join in with! It's "Today's Victory, Tomorrow's Battle" and I started it because I found that finding something I did today, no matter how small, worth celebrating. Yesterday it was not eating all those Oreos! And then something to strive for the next day, small or big, to keep me focused (more walking, because my dog-sitting duties are done).

For now though, I must get prepared to travel, as we'll be out of town the next several days. I'm not falling off, I promise! I will probably even use the hotel wifi to come post! :)

ubergirl
06-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Hi Sunny, and welcome!

I know how hard it is to white knuckle through those first few days. I always feel like if I can stick with a plan for 3 days then it gets a lot easier. I like to check in here often as well. It helps keep my mind in the game.

Fera Fila-- Oreos are like crack for me. How awesome that you managed to resist. That is such a great feeling!

Diane--- your gym story is inspiring me. I used to work out all the time, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

So, my weigh in for today: Down 5.5 the first week! :-) So happy to be starting off with a bang. I know I won't be able to keep up that rate for long. I started off last week with a start weight of 280, on an analog scale. I noticed that the needle was sort of jumping around and I wasn't sure about it, so I switched to a digital scale and realized that I was actually starting at 285. :-( So at the end of the first week, I'm down 5.5 actual and .5 from where I set my ticker. My current mini-goal is 260. I last weighed that much back before Christmas, so it seems like a reasonable goal.

Hope ya'll have a great day!

FeraFilia
06-03-2014, 01:50 PM
YAY for first week big losses! :D Mine was about the same. Makes you want to keep going. I'm about 20 pounds away from my first mini-goal, too (get my butt back under 300 pounds. ugh).

And I hear you on the first few days. I felt like I was starving and about to die because I wanted to EAT for the entire first week. It was almost like a withdrawal from food. Still kinda hard because you *have* to eat. You can't just quit food cold turkey.

FeraFilia
06-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Okay. I'm headed out of town tomorrow so I weighed in this morning as an early weigh-in, not expecting to see much... Shocker, I'm down 2 pounds from Friday to 317.6, even after eating out twice on Sunday!

I'm assuming part of that is the new batteries in the scale, and not so much losing 2 pounds in 4 days. But it was still nice to see. 18 pounds til I see a 2 again! My goal is 299 by the end of July. I can SO do this!!

Especially if I don't go nuts while I'm out of town for the next few days.

Be back Monday night... y'all have fun and save my seat. :)

Slashnl
06-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Fera: Yay you!!! Nice loss for you! Have fun while out of town. We'll be here waiting to hear how it all goes! I'm excited for you to reach the 2's! I know how you feel about the gym. I do think that at my gym, especially since I go early in the morning, that the people there are not judging. These are people just trying to get their own workout in before work. It may be different with the after 5:00 crowd. Sometimes it seems a little more of a social hour then, with younger people. But, if they are judging, then that is their problem!!!

Uber: NICE first loss! That's so great to start out that well. Now you know you can do it!! I'll tell you the hardest part of going to the gym is first starting out. But for me, the first week was all about walking through the door. If I made it there, it was a victory. I didn't really worry about what I did, just that I got there. Then, the next week, I had workout goals, like a set amount of time on the elliptical or bike. Finally, made it to where I felt I could start classes and at first, I just wanted to survive. After that, then I set new goals to improve what I was lifting or keeping it going on the bike in spin. I think it is just important to keep pushing yourself, even if just a little.

As you can tell, I love working out and what is offered at my gym. It has made such a difference in my life, how I feel and how my body is starting to shape up, I just hate it when I can't go. To me, the hardest part is keeping my calories down. I love good food, it isn't usually junk that gets to me. But I also love cakes, cookies, etc. That has taken the most discipline.

Anyway, went to Spin this morning. Someone had my favorite bike, so I went to a different one. Well, when the sun came up, it was shining in my eyes and for a moment I thought that I would need to move. But then it kind of was nice, not horribly blinding or anything. I guess because I work in an overly air-conditioned office, it felt kind of nice. :)

ubergirl
06-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Fera: So happy for the 2 lbs. It's so motivating to see the scale drop! 18 lbs is really not much and I think you can make your goal! Have fun and see you when you get back!

Diane: I know what you mean about walking through the door! What's holding me back right now is that I moved recently and so I have to join a new gym and I'm just reluctant about the cost. I KNOW it's worth it, but it's still hard for me to convince myself to spend the money.

I needed a new digital food scale and I just got one: so, I discovered that I was so nervous about underestimating portion sizes that I was overestimating. So, 4 oz looked HUGE. (I must have been eating about 2 oz) No wonder I lost 5.5 pounds in a week. And no wonder I was SO STARVING. Ate 7 oz of steelhead trout with zucchini last night and it was AWESOME.

FeraFilia
06-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Did you know? NOTHING is 'free' at the Marriott. Seriously. You have to *pay* for wi-fi. $4 a day. We caved and ordered it for 3 days, but STILL. And breakfast's cheapest option?! 13 per person. THIRTEEN DOLLARS. At a cheap hotel at least you get a free bagel and wifi. I know we're at the Marriott, but we're still broke, and someone else is paying for the room because we *have* to be here. Lame. We'll be getting Subway flat bread sammiches for breakfast tomorrow heh.

What a long drive! 10+ hours in the car. We had Subway for lunch, and Arby's for dinner (and we're using the stairs to/from our 2nd floor room). It was nice to walk to the restaurant after spending 600+ miles worth of highway in the car. I told hubby "we're getting the wifi, I need my support network to keep myself in check" :D He didn't put up a fight. I love him much. Even with all the driving, the walking I've made sure to do, I still managed to get almost 2 miles of walking! :) (I'm sure most of that was this morning when I was running around like crazy making sure we had everything)

I'm dragging now though, so I think it's bed time. I'll check in tomorrow (if hubby let's me borrow his computer). :)

ubergirl
06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi Fera, glad you're enjoying your trip! It makes me nuts when hotels charge for wi-fi. Thirteen dollars is crazy. Sigh. At least your hubbie understood why you need support. I always end up forking over for the wi-fi when I'm traveling.

Today is day 10 for me, and I woke up this morning feeling slightly sick of it. Last day of school for the kids. Looking forward to the more relaxed schedule of summer. Love summer cooking and always eat less when it's hot (which it isn't, right now...) Hope you all have a great day.

FeraFilia
06-05-2014, 10:59 AM
I lied. There is a cheaper breakfast option. You can get a bowl of oatmeal.... For $8.50. Cup of coffee, just regular coffee, is $4.

Eff that. We went to subway and split a footlong breakfast flatbread sandwich for $7 lol

Also, a half liter bottle of water is $3.50... I can get a CASE of water for that. Stupid fancy hotels.

FeraFilia
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Okay. Aside from my rant about stupid, expensive, fancy hotels where I have no business being...

Uber, I hope things get easier for you. I noticed it was easier for me after the first week. Try the 10 pound mini goals! Get a new book, or DVD, or something small and inexpensive that you love to get for yourself... and you can't have it until you hit your mini goals. MOTIVATION! Totally gets rid of the "ugh, I hate this" feeling... at least it does for me!

What is bothering you most? What are you hating? Maybe there's a way around it, or at least a way to make it suck less. :)

ubergirl
06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Okay. Aside from my rant about stupid, expensive, fancy hotels where I have no business being...

Uber, I hope things get easier for you. I noticed it was easier for me after the first week. Try the 10 pound mini goals! Get a new book, or DVD, or something small and inexpensive that you love to get for yourself... and you can't have it until you hit your mini goals. MOTIVATION! Totally gets rid of the "ugh, I hate this" feeling... at least it does for me!

What is bothering you most? What are you hating? Maybe there's a way around it, or at least a way to make it suck less. :)

Hi Fera, Thanks for asking. I think I'm doing ok and I appreciate your idea about rewards for mini-goals. This is absolutely something I've struggled with on my weight loss journey. I think I woke up this morning thinking ugh-- more days of not eating whatever I want. One of the things I've realized about myself is that I tend not to ever do nice things for myself-- new clothes, manicure, or small nice things-- I'm always denying myself, thinking "too expensive" (I have 4 kids, and it seems like somebody always needs something more than I need it) but then I "reward" myself with food, which is obviously TOTALLY COUNTERPRODUCTIVE. So I'm going to take your message to heart! Thanks!

SunnyMac
06-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Hello All
@Fera I travel for about 70% of my job - I HEAR you on the hotel expenses. Even though I'm traveling for work and it's a corporate expense it still comes out of my budget so I always eat off site if I can. I've been in hotels where the buffet breakfast is $50pp - I can't remember when I was a a property that had internet for less than $20 a day. It's insane. If I were traveling on my personal dime and not a corporate card there is no chance I'd ever eat at the hotel unless it was included. Some tricks - if you have an Iphone (or other smartphone) and you are traveling with a laptop you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot and jack into your service plan to check in (just be wary of data usage not to go over). I have an ipad that i just bundled in on my service plan since I'm on the road so much doing that made sense for me to do - now that is all I take with me when I travel so I can avoid the wifi charges. Also if you know your room is going to have a fridge or coffee pot take things with you! I very often bring hotel room food (or go to a store and buy stuff) when i get to my destination to keep me from the expense and calories of the hotel food at least some of the time. Also - I won't lie - hotel room coffee pot oatmeal....kind of the best :)

Today was a tough start for me - it's cold and rainy in fair New England today and both me and my BF slept through all of the alarms. I didn't go to the gym so now I'm struggling to keep to my 1200 calories - Those few earned exercise calories where i get to eat more like 1400-1500 a day and still balance at 1200 makes a HUGE difference. I'm aiming for a 10lb mini goal too - I need to break through this 10lb barrier that I've been stuck in for so long. Once I can get below 240 it will feel real and like progress and like I can do it. On that note I'm going to get my lunch out of the work fridge!!!

Slashnl
06-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Uber: Steel head trout! Cool. I've never had it. We eat a lot of trout, but it is all lake type or river trout. Absolutely love it! I keep thinking I need to get a food scale. I estimate a lot. As long as it keeps working, I'm ok, but it would be nice to know for sure. Oh, and hang in there! You're doing great! Just push through the being sick of it!

Fera: Yeah, I think I'd be going for Subway, too! Glad that you are enjoying your time there! I'm glad you got the Wifi so that we can all stay in touch!

I had been walking some stairs here at work. Down 1 floor, then up 3 floors, then down 4 (to get ice from the freezer) and then back up 2. It was killing me (I thought), and I was sick of doing it, so I stopped. Yesterday someone I work with wanted me to go with her. We went down 2, up 4, and then back down 2. I hadn't done 4 before and it wasn't too bad! I guess it was getting better.

Have a good one!

Slashnl
06-05-2014, 12:42 PM
SunnyMac: We posted at the same time, so just wanted to say hi. Sorry you didn't get to work out, I hate that! Then you have to watch your food so much more! But, if you go over, don't beat yourself up! It always starts over the next day!!

SunnyMac
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks Slashnl! So far so good. I'm chugging through!!!! Keep up those stairs! It's raining today here in the lovely northeast - Maybe I will go do some myself! I work in a giant theatre - we have got NOTHING but stairs - what a good idea!!!! Thanks!!!!

FeraFilia
06-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Good morning all!

After paying for that fancy schmancy wifi package (okay, we got the $4/day vs the $12/day) couldn't get the laptop to connect.... fought with it last night, gave up and tried again. Woke up this morning and gave it a shot, still no dice. Hubby was running late, so he asked me to take care of it. Called the super helpful tech support (no sarcasm at all, she was really sweet) and they basically bypassed the hotel's log in stuff and put a timer on the connection. SO I have access again.

The tough part about being here is all the mystery meals. Dinner last night, lunch today, and dinner tonight were all paid for as part of our registration for the event. Last night's mystery meal was beef bourguignon (spelled right?) and white chocolate raspberry cheese cake. I did not deny myself the cheesecake. My love of white chocolate, raspberry, and cream cheese based foods all combined into one delicious slice of heaven. It was a tiny slice though, so I did my best to log it.

Lunch is a mystery 'boxed' lunch, and dinner is another banquet style meal. FYI - this hotel's restaurant has food so good, I am able to forgive them the wi-fi hiccup. Their chef is a dream. I tried to be good, and walked to a convenience store and got 2 of those prepackaged bowls of cheerios and a pint of milk and 2 bananas to have as breakfasts, BUT I was a dummy and forgot to grab a spoon, so I have to hunt down a spoon to eat it. They'll probably charge me a $7 fee per day for borrowing a spoon.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Uber -the rewards have been a *really* great help for me. New books at 10 pounds, and other such little 2-3 dollar rewards for staying on track for the week. Usually a nail polish thing. I love to do my nails and love to get different colors to play with. Incentive! And when we finally settle into our new place, I'm going to get involved with the "lose 10% in 6 months" challenge on dietbetter(dot)com and see if I can win some money for losing weight. It's a good premise, I think (6 months, with monthly challenges, plus an overall goal, and the pot is split by everyone who hits the final goal). The only way you can lose money is to not lose weight. NOT losing money would be a BIG motivator for me! Especially over the holidays when it's so easy to go off track. :P

Wannabehealthy
06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Just sticking my nose in here....FeraFelia, I am such a bookworm, I think I would die if I had to lose 10 lbs before I could get a book! LOL

You are all doing so well! Keep up the good work!

Slashnl
06-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi all! Made it to Friday! I've decided since I am going to weigh myself on Fridays anyway, I'm going to start recording it. I had been just recording my Monday weigh in, but still checked it on Friday to see where it was, heading into the weekend. Sometimes my rules need to be tweaked. :) So, lost a pound since Monday. I was hoping for a little more, but we'll see what it looks like on Monday.

Went to spin class today. The instructor had to fill in for some other instructors, so he was on his second class in a row. I'm impressed!

Fera: Glad you let yourself have that treat. I think it is just too hard to go with this journey unless you can occasionally have a treat. Enjoy!!

Have a good weekend!

ubergirl
06-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Fera Fila- I agree that eating out on someone else's menu is extremely hard. At times I travel a lot and attend a lot of functions so I know just how that is. I have found that if I decide which parts of meals I'm going to eat ahead of time (for example, I'll think yes salad entree veggie, no dessert, or yes entree dessert no salad no bread...) it helps me. When I'm motivated I can usually maintain or even lose when traveling. You just have to guesstimate what you log.

Diane: I agree about tweaking rules! If you feel like it helps you to weigh and record twice-- why not? I like to weigh daily because I get super-attuned to the minute ups and downs and it helps me stress less about any individual day. BUT I know a lot of people hate to weigh daily.

I've decided I'm going to have my "official" weigh in day be Tuesday, i.e. change my ticker day, whereas before I used to always change my ticker each time I saw a loss. I do record my weight daily on fit day. One thing about me is I can weigh daily for a year or two, but when I'm in my see no evil, near no evil stage, (i.e. gaining) I never step on the scale. DUH. You'd think I'd see a connection.

SunnyMac
06-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Well chicks, I had a lapse.i did so good all week. Thursday when I didn't make it to the gym I struggled to keep to 1200 calories and didn't make it...but I'm not beating myself up because I only ate 1450, nothing was junk and I was actually hungry....I'm calling that day listening to my body and feeding it when it is hungry.

Yesterday on the other hand was a test and I feel like I failed. I forgot my Up band on its charger so was off counting my steps. It got stressful at work, I ate office smart food ( not awful for 100 cals just not on plan). I did have a win and made it to the gym before they closed after work and got in an hour of high intensity cardio. Them comes the big lose....I had a giant dish of pasta and wine for dinner. I don't even know what I was doing. It was like I was just going through the motions in a trance. To make things worse I got up this morning and weighed expecting to have consequences and realized this was the first day this week I've lost. I'm down 3 lbs so now I feel like I've been rewarded for bad behavior.

I'm using this as an opportunity to identify the trigger. The big trigger was being home alone. BF had to go see his family 4 states away due to illness. I knew no one would be here to judge me accept myself and I took advantage of it. Looking at it a bit deeper this happens a lot of week nights. He has activities he does in the evenings and I do not. He goes out and I come home and clean, do laundry etc etc and eat and drink while doing that. He came home every night this week so It was easier to stay on plan knowing I wasn't alone. This is a difference from last time when I lost weight. I was single and living alone. I was between relationships and with no children I had to only take care of myself and my little apartment. Full focus. Now I'm running a house with a huge acre of land, taking care of someone, taking the role of lead domestic agent, commuting longer to work, running a staff....I need to concentrate on finding some balance to take care of myself. I need to find some evening activities to do during the week. I need to change my thinking so I'm ok when I'm alone not just when my other half is home.

We go away for vacation tomorrow for the week. I'm mobile so you are all coming with me. Trying to get in the mindset now. Today will be a better day. I know not every day will be perfect and that I'm gonna fall sometimes so the important thing is to get back up right away.

-------------
FERA do the best you can with the mystery food. I travel too and am up against that often to and you are right it's the hardest part. The fact that you are being conscious of it is a win! I usually try to go no bread no desert... Easier said than done but that's what I try to do.

UBER I'm also weighing every day. I need to pick an 'official' day and I think I'm gonna go with Sunday. I do the same thing when I'm gaining... No scale....so I think it's better for me to daily weigh.

SLASH great work on getting to spin ! It's soooooo good for you! Tweak those rules if it helps you!!!

ubergirl
06-07-2014, 05:04 PM
This is a difference from last time when I lost weight. I was single and living alone. I was between relationships and with no children I had to only take care of myself and my little apartment. Full focus. Now I'm running a house with a huge acre of land, taking care of someone, taking the role of lead domestic agent, commuting longer to work, running a staff....I need to concentrate on finding some balance to take care of myself. I need to find some evening activities to do during the week. I need to change my thinking so I'm ok when I'm alone not just when my other half is home.

Sunny-- first ((hugs)) for slipping up and :carrot::carrot: for hopping right back on the board.

I was reading your comment about triggers and thinking about it a lot. Thinking over what you are doing and what gets in the way of success is an absolute necessity I think. I was thinking especially about the fact that you are so busy and need to find more time to take care of yourself. That is what derailed me the first time around. My own responsibility level kept ratcheting up and up and up and still I was able to keep going, and then it seemed like one day I had just had it-- something had to give, and what gave was my healthy new lifestyle.

Yesterday, I had a pretty big shock about something work related. I was really worried about it and couldn't get through to my boss to talk it through. I had all of the stress signals-- churning stomach, roaring in my ears, that I get. Usually I treat that feeling with food. Yesterday, I didn't, but it reminded me BIG TIME that I find losing weight easiest when 1. I'm feeling upbeat 2. I don't have too much stress 3. I don't have too much on my plate and 4. I can really prioritize by thinking about it all the time. But of course, life isn't always like that. When people say "it's a lifestyle change" I think the change for me to permanently be able to maintain a healthy weight isn't food, or exercise at all. I think I will need to be able to maintain a lifestyle where I can manage stress and don't over-commit past what I can actually manage and that I can weather the times when I'm not feeling upbeat because I'm good at managing stress.

So, let's support each other on this-- and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! Losing weight is the easy part, but trying to figure out why we don't always do what we are so sure we want to do-- that is the hard part!

Slashnl
06-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Hang in there SunnyMac. It's ok! You saw what went wrong and you're not going to let it happen every day. That's the key. We can't slip into what was normal before!!!

Not much to say, just checking in for the weekend!

Shy Moment
06-09-2014, 02:47 PM
I have to confess I did this to myself no one else did. I lost all the weight I needed to lose a few years ago when I was coming to this site daily. I felt great. I forgot, I didn't do it alone. God gave me the strength to stick with a great eating plan and get the weight off. My own vanity derailed me from staying healthy. Sure the medications packed on the pounds when I was sick again. I can say that all I want and while it is true. CANDY, COOKIES AND DONUTS put far more weight on me than medications did.

I have to take responsibility for what I did to my body.

Now, I am back on track with eating well and exercising. I won't get to where I want to be in a day or a week or even a year. I will get there and With God's strength I will stay at a healthy weight.

Sometimes God doesn't whisper in our ear what he wants us to hear. Sometimes he jumps up and down screaming PUT DOWN THAT COOKIE. We just don't listen.

ubergirl
06-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Shy, welcome! I fully understand where you are coming from. There is nothing worse than getting down to where we want to be and then gaining again. It doesn't make any sense. I have never been prouder of any achievement than I was of losing 110 lbs. I was POSITIVE I was going to maintain-- and I did, for a while, and then it just stopped seeming so important... and here I am

You are completely right though. We did it once, we can do it again!

As for me, I had a good weekend. Keeping my calories low today as tomorrow is the big weigh in day.

I've been doing well. My head is really in the game. I took my daughters out to buy dresses for an occasion. I had to sit right in front on the 3 way mirrors for half an hour, and I was wearing jeans and a tee-shirt that was just a touch too small. I HATE being this fat. I remember how much I used to like just feeling NORMAL. I looked in the mirror and I just looked average-- not super skinny and gorgeous, not morbidly obese... just an average lady. I want to get back there so much! I mentioned to my diet buddy that I was feeling really hungry. She told me that she tells herself that the feeling isn't hunger, it's the feel of fat melting off. I'm going to give it a try!

FeraFilia
06-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

Made it home from the trip! So very much looking forward to food I've prepared myself and not loaded with sodium.

Kinda scared to see how much damage was done by the trip, but I've done my best to keep track of the food and while I may have gone over my 1800 calories a time or two, I was also walking around a great deal, and I never went over 2000... SO. I should still see a loss once I get rid of all the water bloat from eating nothing but sodium laden food for almost a week.

gingergeorgie
06-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I began my weight loss journey back in spring 2011, I started at 203 and ended up being 153 by September 2012. I was very fit, with high muscle mass and was able to do things I have never been. Able to do my entire life. Then I moved, I had an awful bully of a landlord and my unhappy relationship was worse then ever. I began drinking and eating and stopped working out and went back up over my heaviest!!! 210lbs. I moved out andI finally broke from my relationship and discovered juice fasting. I done a 3 day juice and have been healthy eating/ walking with great enthusiasm and determination since last Thursday(not long I know) but I feel stronger I have since September 2012. And already lost 7lbs! Yay!

I just want to be able to find out how to control the relationship between my emotions and food!

FeraFilia
06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
:welcome: Ginger!

Same thing happened to me. Lost a bunch of weight in 2011-12, found out about a 1100 mile move got all depressed about the move, then stressed during the actual move, then the whole year out hated my life, and then stressed the move back.. I ate my way back up past my high weight, and am now working to get it back under control. Emotional eating is like a crutch for me to deal with things.

Need to figure that mess out! I've started coming on here to post when I feel the need to snack away my emotions.

Shy Moment
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Looking back at yesterday I had a nice " normal " day. I ate what I should have eaten and I got a bit of exercise. I did forget it takes me from the time I get up until I go to bed to eat enough lol. Have to work up to the exercise. Back then it took me 3 months to be able to do a 1 mile walking aerobic video when I first started lol. I will have to work up to it again since I have bad lungs. I get breathy just walking across the house lol. Funny to think I was doing 10 miles a day of Leslie Sansone's walking aerobic videos and now I can't walk across the house with out stopping to breath.

Ubergirl I recognize your name. I am sure many of us are back here again. This time we see what we did wrong. I had only ever tried to lose weight one time and while I did it I packed the pounds back on and an extra 30 for good measure. We can move forward and not make the same mistakes.

I got a new doc and this one really is encouraging. He said ok, how did you lose all the weight the first time. He even saw in my chart my old doc had written really in great physical shape. I told him what I had done. He said well I am not going to go on and on about your weight. You know the right way to lose it. This is what I am going to tell you. When you are on these darn medications they make you crave carbs. That is just how it is. SO when you have to be on the medications I want you to drop your carbs by 1/8. This isn't going to be easy but A. this will help you not pack on pounds and B this will help you stay more accountable to yourself with what you eat while you are craving those carbs. You will consciously be watching those numbers.

He said different people lose weight different ways. Everyone keeps it off the same way, dedication to eating correctly.

Because I love to be organized counting calories, fats and carbs is the way for me. I love the fitday site.

He asked me to be more specific about how I packed on the pounds. I said well that was pretty simple. First I was eating right but the weight came on. He said ok that is the medications. I said then I didn't just fall off the wagon. I let the darn thing run right over me. I got depressed, upset, felt down because I was putting on weight but not enjoying the eating process to do it lol.

He said ok well you know that now so what are you going to do about that. I said stay off that darn scale is what I am going to do about it when I am on medications. I will stick with my fitday. Know I am eating the required amounts of the 5 basic food groups and staying within my ranges of 1200 to 1400 calories, 30 to 35 fat and 180 to 210 carbs. If I put on weight I will know because of how my clothes feel and that I can't stop but if I obsess about the weight gain from the scale it will get me down. He said great plan but when on the medications and for 3 months afterwards take the carbs down to 158 to 184. I said ok will do that.

He also told me, at my age, the requirements for the 5 basic food groups is a little off. two meats, 2 fruits, 3 veggies, 2 dairy is great but I do not need 6 bread/cereal. He said I could go with 3 bread/cereal and I would be fine. I said oh that is great because I could never get all 6 of those in and stay within my ranges lol.

My goal is to lose 52 pounds in the next year.

Mandy, don't let it get you down. We didn't gain the weight in a week and we aren't going to destroy all our dedication to eating right in a week. Just pull yourself back on that wagon seat and roll forward.

gingergeorgie, we all have our story how we let life get us down and didn't deal with it well. All we can do, and I see you are doing it, is take control of the reigns and move forward. Sounds like you have some plans to get the weight off again.

Slashnl
06-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Welcome to Shy and Ginger! We're all on your side and totally understand, so we're here to support each other!

Fera: It sounds like you did what you could, so you hopefully won't have too much of a setback after being gone. I'm betting that you won't since you were being mindful!

Uber: It feels good when you are staying on track! It won't be long and you'll be back to where you want to be!

I've been doing pretty well. These challenges I'm doing this month are getting tiresome, but I'm going to keep with them. I guess I don't mind the squat workout too much, but the ab one is going to kill me. Situps are not my friend. I have been able to hold on with the plank, but it is getting harder as the time limit is increased. Hard to believe it has only been 10 days. Seems like forever. The squat workout is tough too. I went to Body Pump this morning and I had trouble doing the squat workout in there. My legs were still sore from last night's squat challenge.

What an athlete I am....

ubergirl
06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi All,

Welcome Shy and Ginger!

Shy: it sounds as if your doctor is really great-- supportive and understanding. Lucky you.

Ginger and Fera: Wow. I'm astonished to find out that we all have the same issue behind our regains! Starting in June 2009 I lost 110, reaching an all-time low weight of 186. I moved in 2010, which was the beginning of a big huge roller coaster of simultaneous stressful events. I held onto the loss until the very end of 2011 but in early 2012 I zoomed back up. Since then, I've managed to shed 10-15 about 3 or 4 times, but I've never gotten into the groove. For me, I have something figured out: I can focus on weight loss only when the rest of my life is on more or less of an even keel-- if I start getting some combination of work, money, or family problems at the same time, at some point, it seems like I just can't maintain the focus and I revert back to my old dysfunctional ways.

If we can get the stressed out and still able to lose or maintain then we should have the battle won! Ginger, so glad you're giving it another try. Fera: yay you for losing on your trip! Moral of the story: don't move in early maintenance (if possible, LOL)

Diane So inspired by your awesome workout routine. i'm still focusing on food, but hope to start incorporating exercise soon!

Today was my two-week weigh in and get this. Fourteen days: 9.8 pounds!:D Obviously some of that must be water weight, but still and all I'll take it. I'm actually already starting to feel a bit of the difference! Seems like it's coming right off my belly.

Keep strong everyone!

gingergeorgie
06-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, thanks so much for the warm welcome done a workout yesterday and feel muscles aching today, will have a long walk later and workout again tomorrow. Going ease myself back in gently. Still feel very strong where diets concerns, just hope it lasts!! Xx

Slashnl
06-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Uber!!! Nice weight loss! That is so great to have such a good start. I'll bet you feel so good. It can be so motivating to have some success like that! Way to go!

Ginger: Ooo. Aching muscles! I know it can hurt, but in a good way! That's smart to ease into it. You've got a great start!

I had a rough day yesterday. I felt really worn out all day. Then, I went out to eat with my daughter and ate too much. But it was really tasty. I didn't have much for dinner, so although I went over my calorie goal, it wasn't too far over. I didn't do my challenge exercises last night because my legs felt so tired and sore. (pity party for me!) But, today seems better. I went to spin class and I feel much better.

ubergirl
06-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Diane sorry you had a rough day, but glad you're feeling better now. I can't stand it when eating out makes me go over calories-- but that's part of life too. Once the achy soreness leaves your muscles you'll probably see a whoosh. I think inflammation makes you weigh more.

Ginger glad you're off to a good start. I know what you mean about that feeling of "hoping" that diet stays strong. Sometimes it seems almost effortless and other times it feels impossible. Sigh. Keeping the head on plan is for sure the hardest thing.

Snuck on the scale this morning, and I dropped another pound!:carrot::carrot::carrot: I'm down ten from my start! Ten more and I'll be back to where I was a year ago!

FeraFilia
06-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Uber - YAY for half way to mini goals! I like to peek at the scale on non-weigh days (Tuesday and Friday are weigh days), too, sometimes, just out of curiosity. Crazy how stress eating (well, emotional eating in general for me) can be such a contributor to gaining weight! Guess we all need to find healthier nervous habits.

Diane - Good job getting back to the exercise! I hate those blah don't-wanna-move days. I had one yesterday, too. But I think it was just a "please stop making me do things" recovery kind of day from my trip that both brain and body needed. Meals out with family are always worth the calories, in my opinion. :)

Ginger - If it's not the "so sore you can't move" kinda pain, I find that to be a sign that I did something good for my body. Stretch and feel the twinges and smile at the 'good' pain. (That sounds kind of awful, but you know what I mean!). One day at a time. Easing in is the best way to go... keeps you from burning out really quickly.

Well... Today will be a lot of fidgeting and twitching and nervousness because the call committee from the church we visited on our trip is having a meeting this evening to talk about my hubby's interview to become their pastor... hoping it goes well. I really loved the church and the people and the house. Walking in the front door of that place felt like home.

Also, a pretty significant water-drop this morning. Out of curiosity I stepped on the scale and saw another 2.2 pounds gone. Amazing how a lot of salt, not enough water, and no exercise can hold that water right in!

Slashnl
06-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Fera: Great! More weight gone for you! I hope you hear about the call soon! Quite the adventure. My cousin is a pastor and he's been through that a time or two. So, good luck!!

Uber: Nice! It's good to get the regain weight off and start working on new weight. I need about 2 more pounds and the regain will be gone.

I have a doctor's appointment today, just a check up. I know I'm down a lot of weight from the last time I was there, so it will be a little more fun than last time. Just glad to get it done so I don't have to think about it again for awhile.

FeraFilia
06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Yesterday was 1 month back at it. In that 1 month I had several graduation parties, my anniversary, my husband's birthday, graduation itself, and a week-long trip out of town with nothing but restaurant and fast food.

In that month I also tracked my food every day to the best of my ability, got a little exercise, and generally behaved like one should regarding food.

The result: I've lost 17 pounds. I know that's a lot, but the first week was 7 pounds alone because of the water drop. And at 300+ I can afford to lose a little quicker, I guess.

If I can lose 17 pounds in a month where I feel like I was eating out more than eating at home, and eating more junk than healthy stuff simply because of the nature of the gatherings... Then I think I can manage to keep losing weight in the coming months.

To quote one of my favorite songs "Seems like every choice I made would somehow leave me second-guessing about the green grass I was passing racing toward the other side. I thank God for the blessing that I finally learned this lesson: One step in the right direction's worth a wasted mile behind."

ubergirl
06-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Diane Your doctor will be so proud of all of the hard work you've done!

Fera Seventeen pounds in one month while eating out! That is absolutely fantastically amazingly amazing! I'm so happy for you! ::congrat::congrat::congrat: It just goes to show that when we really focus none of the external factors matter as much as we think they do.

I'm having little bit of a bad day so far although I'm haven't strayed off my food plan. I just feel a little discouraged.

First, I got woken up by a phone call in the middle of the night, so I'm a little tired. Yesterday, I went with my two girls to visit a college. I was stupid and I wore uncomfortable flip flops and black jeans even thought it was a little bit hot. Within a few minutes, my feet started hurting-- blisters from the durn shoes. But then, I started feeling like I was going to pass out. I didn't of course, but I swear it was like I was so hungry I was faint. That is not normal for me! Usually I have lots of energy for walking around. We went to a restaurant where I drank a big tumbler of water and two tumblers of ice tea, then I ate shrimp fajitas-- didn't touch any of the cheese, guacamole, sour cream-- just shrimp veggies and a corn tortilla. I couldn't finish it. Felt uncomfortably full no doubt because of the three big glasses of fluids before I started eating. By bedtime I was starving again. I feel okay today, but kind of discouraged.

It's like I'm just remembering that losing weight can be really hard. And I just can't believe that I have to do this again after having already done it once. It's the most frustrating thing in the world.

FeraFilia
06-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I wish I could post links! I have a motivational image I made a while back. It's a beautiful relaxing image, with the quote of "Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"...

As long as you pick yourself up and keep going, instead of turning around and going backwards, you'll still get to the finish line. You've got this. :)

gingergeorgie
06-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Awww user, I know how you feel, also had alot of comments off my mum. Like 'you do really well, trouble is you don't stick with it' and she's said this over and over until I snapped and said 'so what are you saying give up because you won't stick with it and are destined to fail?'

It made me think maybe she has something to do with my lack of confidence to begin with. When I look back I remember being super fit, healthy and slim just couldn't get my head round being that way. Thinking this isn't me, I won't be able to stay this way and a bit of stress, well alot knocked me straight off the wagon and down to the floor with an almighty thud. I think back to how great I felt and that feeling didn't last long enough :-(

I want to lose the weight and gain back that muscle and more, then maintain for life!

Slashnl
06-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Fera: NICE work!! 17 pounds is awesome! Makes you look forward to the next month!

Uber: Sorry about the bad day. It is so frustrating!!! Some days you feel like you can conquer anything and then things like that bring us tumbling back!

Ginger: It is hard to overcome negativity from someone who is supposed to be on our side. Glad you are working to overcome it all!

I'm so glad it is Friday!! It's been a tough week. I think part of my problem, other than work, is that I've been doing that squat and abs challenge in addition to my regular workout. Well, you add more each day and it is getting really tough. I've been really sore lately, so I think my muscles are holding on to water. I'm afraid that I'm going to not see much of a loss, if at all, at Monday's weigh in. I had thought about quitting the challenges and going back to my regular routine... which was working. I do think I'm seeing some good results, with muscle tone. I'll try to stay with it and be a little more patient.

FeraFilia
06-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Ginger - My mom told me the same thing a month ago. That she didn't think I could do it and shouldn't waste the money on a few tools to help (like my FitBit). I ignored her, got my FitBit and have been basically on plan for over a month now. I have a 34 day log-in streak over at MFP, and I've been logging my food religiously. Mama knows I'm contrary enough to push harder if someone tells me I can't. heh.

Diane - Sore muscles definitely hold water. Almost any kind of pain brings some water retention with it. Are you doing measurements? They often tell the story that the scale isn't. I do mine at the end of every month. Pictures every 10 pounds, too. Though currently they make me cry. It's good to have other measures of progress, and not only the scale. I do weight, measurements, pictures, and I have a body fat analyzer that I also keep track of (monthly). I also track how I feel during exercise. I'm finding it easier and easier to get through 30 minutes of light cardio and will have to bump up the intensity... which, to me, is as awesome as seeing a good drop on the scale. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On the home front here, this call process for my husband is driving me a little bonkers. I'm so anxious and nervous and my instinct is to snack away the stress. Normally the process goes:

1) first interview with call committee
2) second interview with call committee
3) call committee votes to submit candidate for council approval (requires a 2/3 majority)
4) interview with call committee
5) call committee vote (require 2/3 majority)
6) worship with and/or preach for congregation
7) congregation votes to issue a call

UGH. and a whole lot of waiting for phone calls in between. We are waiting, anxiously, for the phone call to set up step 4 (after a unanimous vote in step 3)... which is generally a good sign that things are moving forward. Then it's traveling to the church again. Oy.

Going nuts.

ubergirl
06-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Diane: I'm sure that the frustration with your new workout will soon turn to pride in what you've accomplished. I think the really hard workouts pay off a ton in terms of how you look-- and I know myself that when I'm sore I definitely hold on to water and weight and also my weight loss slows as I build muscle-- you don't see the results on the scale, but certainly in the way you look and carry yourself!

Ginger: I hear you. I'm really sensitive and hate it when I feel as if people are expecting me to fail! But you are turning this around and you will have the satisfaction of proving her wrong.

Fera: I'm sure the whole waiting thing is very stressful! Good for you for doing so well when there is so much going on in your life. I like the idea that you are making all those measurements and notations.

As for me, today was a frustrating bump up-- I think it was water from eating salty food yesterday. Yesterday afternoon for the second day in a row I was feeling practically faint by 6 pm. Yesterday I thought I was getting sick or something. I was just dragging by dinner time and didn't even feel hungry. I made a really nice dinner of steelhead trout, brussel sprouts and portabella mushrooms. By the time I finished dinner, I felt fine. I decided that I'm simply not eating enough. Dropping 10 lbs in 2 weeks was awesome, but I can't feel like I'm going to faint by dinner time! So today, I added back a few calories at lunch.

We'll see if this afternoon goes better!

Have a good day everyone and stay strong!

ubergirl
06-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Just popping in to say that today went much better because I upped my calories a little bit. I was so excited to be starting off with a quick loss, but I just wasn't eating enough-- yesterday and the day before I really crumped in the late afternoon. Today I ate a bit more at lunch and I was fine through the dinner hour. That's a relief. I didn't understand what on earth was wrong with me when I felt like I was going to keel over!

ubergirl
06-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Hey everybody, Sorry to be a spambot. I seem to be the only one posting right now!

My mind is playing tricks with me right now, feeding me all kind of lines about why this isn't going to work. Here's a sampling:

1. What if your body just "refuses" to lose weight. (I know this sounds crazy, but I used to think this ALL THE TIME when I was losing the first time.)
2. What's the point? You gained it all back last time. It's destined to fail again this time.
3. What's the point? Do you really think a lifetime of restricting is going to work out?
4. What's the point? You're fat now. Is it really that bad?
5. Do you realize how hungry you are? Do you really think you can keep doing this every day for a whole year?
6. Why suffer? You're going to give up soon and this will all be for naught.

So if you guys have learned any good strategies for dealing with these negative thoughts (or if you have your own) I'm all ears.

Right now, I'm setting the one-month mark as a mini-goal. I think if I can make it into the second month, I won't feel so precarious. I DO remember that last time, after about the first 50 were gone, it really didn't seem that hard anymore. I was used to it.

FeraFilia
06-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Gah. I get all those same thoughts on a regular basis. Makes me a bit loony. But then my husband reminds me that I'm doing it so we can have a baby and I'm not getting any younger (he doesn't say that part, smart man that he is).

But then I let my logic answer them for me (these are arguments I have with myself daily).

1) Your body *will* lose weight if you use more calories than you consume. That's science. If you maintain a deficit, you will lose weight. Your body does not defy the laws of physics.

2) The greatest successes often come from repeated failures. I'm better prepared this time because now I know what *not* to do... and what works best. I'm armed and ready for my battle with fat this time, and I won't let it win.

3) I won't be restricting forever, and couple years of restricting will add years to my life that are not full of various medications. This is a learning scenario, and eventually practicing moderation and regular exercise will be habit.

4) Yes, I'm fat now. Yes, it's that bad. Do you remember how embarrassing it was to have to get off of the ride at the amusement park because the bar couldn't latch over your belly? How uncomfortable it was trying to squeeze into a seat on the plane? How out you just can't keep up when you are with a group of people? Yes, it is that bad.

5) Yes, I realize I think I'm hungry. I just ate. I will eat again soon. I will just chew gum or drink water until my scheduled feeding time. Stop whining, missing a meal won't kill me.

6) This is not suffering. This is being slightly uncomfortable with a change in your life to habits that will make your health much better in the long run. Giving up is not an option. People are depending on me to make this happen, and if I fail this time, I fail for them, too. I can't let them down.

It helps me to remember that when I'm feeling like I'm about to dive face first into a box of chocolate eclairs or something. I'm hard on myself, but it's the only thing that works.

I also keep a mini-goal outfit hanging on the back of my closet door so I see it every time I walk in to grab fat clothes. It's a pair of size 14 jeans I got at a Salvation Army store for 3 dollars, the other is a shirt my mother in law got for me... Size? Large. She thought I could fit into a large. Ha. Maybe one day. I'm determined to fit into that outfit some day.

Slashnl
06-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Hey all!

Uber: I don't know how old you are, but I am 50, and the biggest thing to me to lose this weight is more about being healthy and not ruining the rest of my life by not being able to do things I want to do. Yes, I want to look better, but more so, I want to feel good and live healthy as I get older. I have been particularly inspired by my parents. They are 75 and both have stayed healthy and active. They still go boating and fishing. They can travel. They can maintain their house. They have wonderful, full lives! Then, I look at two of my cousins. One is older than I am, maybe 58, and she is terribly overweight. She uses a walker to get around. She actually lost her job because she is unable to get around the police department as a dispatcher. She gets help from her 80 year old mother, otherwise, she wouldn't be able to do anything outside of the house. My other cousin is a couple of years younger than me and is very heavy. She has had both knees replaced, but still can't walk through the mall. She uses one of those scooters.

I don't want to be that person!!!! So, if it takes awhile to lose this, then that's ok. Time will still pass. I have the option of giving up, or I can use this time to keep up with it and improve my life!

Remember! Motivation only takes you as far as getting started. Dedication will take you to your goal!

**** hope that helps!***

FeraFilia
06-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Feeling soooooo lazy. It's been such an effort trying to get up and move at all. And I just want to eat all the salty snacks in the kitchen. TOM must be coming and bringing all the yuck with it. :(

ubergirl
06-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Hang in there Fera! Salty snacks won't change anything!

ubergirl
06-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Mandy and Diane, thanks for the pep talk.

Diane, your post about people with health problems really got me thinking. I'm 52 and I can't imagine being immobilized... but the idea of your cousin being helped by her 80 year old mother really got to me. I have a 9 year old son (as well as some older kids) and I definitely don't want to show up at his high school graduation in a scooter.

My weight loss was ZIPPING ALONG but now I've been sitting at the same weight for almost a week. Reminding myself to be patient. I knew in my heart that my calories were unsustainably low, and so I've added some back and don't feel like I'm going to faint all the time.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

FeraFilia
06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Uber - I'm facing a stall right now, too. Wednesday thru Friday showed a whopping .2 loss, and then today it's the same as it was on Friday. Though I can barely spin my rings on my fingers, so I'm assuming it's TOM related water retention, and should disappear as soon as TOM shows up.

I had a bit of a melt down last night, and it makes me so happy that my husband is as wonderful as he is. I was all "I gained 80 pounds EIGHTY after losing FIFTY THREE. I'm so gross. How can you even look at me? I'm so stupid. How'd I let myself do this... If I hadn't gained all that weight, and just maintained until a month ago when I started I'd be almost 100 pounds smaller than I am now.... etc." He just rubbed my back and let me vent, then told me "ifs" don't matter because what's done is done and I'm doing a good job now and I'm definitely not gross and told me he'd find ways to help me exercise when we got to where we're going later this summer.

He's a doll. :)

I hope you're feeling better about things, Uber! :)

ubergirl
06-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Uber - I'm facing a stall right now, too. Wednesday thru Friday showed a whopping .2 loss, and then today it's the same as it was on Friday. Though I can barely spin my rings on my fingers, so I'm assuming it's TOM related water retention, and should disappear as soon as TOM shows up.

I had a bit of a melt down last night, and it makes me so happy that my husband is as wonderful as he is. I was all "I gained 80 pounds EIGHTY after losing FIFTY THREE. I'm so gross. How can you even look at me? I'm so stupid. How'd I let myself do this... If I hadn't gained all that weight, and just maintained until a month ago when I started I'd be almost 100 pounds smaller than I am now.... etc." He just rubbed my back and let me vent, then told me "ifs" don't matter because what's done is done and I'm doing a good job now and I'm definitely not gross and told me he'd find ways to help me exercise when we got to where we're going later this summer.

He's a doll. :)

I hope you're feeling better about things, Uber! :)

Mandy, he sounds like a real keeper!

I'm doing okay. Just went out to lunch for Father's Day. There were NO good choices on the menu. I had a turkey burger with no mayo or sauce, just lettuce, tomato, mustard and ketchup. Was planning to only eat half the bun, but then thought-- whatever, I'll eat the whole bun. Fit into my plan okay, but more calories than I like to spend on lunch-- my own turkey burgers have so many fewer calories-- mostly because the bun is half the size!

Weigh in is Tuesday, and I really want to see the scale move.

SunnyMac
06-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi all! Ok I'm back. Coastal vacation complete. I ended up really trying to unplug from technology so I didn't check in here at all. Overall it was a good week in Bar Harbor. The inn was great, very relaxing. Breakfast (provided) ran a little sugary so I was conscious of portions. Lunches and snacks we brought from home so that was good. Dinners were out every night so that was the overage ( lots of fish and chips). We stayed away from alcohol mostly. We moved a lot averaging about 20000 steps a day (up band) and also spend a day hiking. Not a huge mountain, 1530 feet, but I've been off the trails for about a year so it was a good hike to start training on. Took us 5 hours round trip including stops/lunch and was about 6 miles. All in all no loss but no gain.... I'll take maintaining on vacation.

We got back Saturday and yesterday I did the shopping and filled us up with healthy food and prepped for the week. Today I'm off to a good start. Got up and had a good workout and sticking back to my healthy eating plan and I'm back here. I'm feeling really good. Aiming for my new increased goal of 15000 steps a day.... I was hitting 10k very easily so I bumped up the goal..., see how that goes when I'm back at the office today. I'm aiming for a loss this week!

I've got a lot of reading in the threads to catch up so I'll save any individual comments for now... To everyone new welcome! To everyone not new I hope you all had a great week!

SunnyMac
06-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Oh and a little self confidence win... I braved a bathing suit in public and swam in the pool... The heated outdoor pool on the ocean.... I don't care how fat I am I decided not to compromise my vacation and not enjoy the relaxing pool. I'm calling that an NSV win!

Slashnl
06-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Fera: Well, if it helps, you and I had the same weight loss, the big .2 pounds. Mine is for a whole week. So, now I have to remember all of what I have said to everyone else about being patient and not letting it get you down. And, actually, I'm not really down about it. I just have decided to let the challenges go by the way side. I am sure that they are helpful in a way, with building muscle, but I'm not enjoying it at all. I can't do them in the morning, so there I am after work trying to get it all in. Well, it is using up too much time, I've been too sore, and I am not losing weight. What's the point? For now, I really want to get pounds off. Muscle building/refinement can happen later. I want to get stronger, but I was doing that already with my workouts. So, I'm going back to what was working before for now. There may be no correlation with the challenges and my lack of weight loss, but I don't want to keep going this way.

Uber: I hear you! That's the thing that is hard to keep in mind, but looking toward the future just makes me want to get healthier now. We just have to realize that time is going to pass, no matter what. Let's take this time to keep at it and TRY to stay patient!

SunnyMac: Good NSV! I am glad you had a good vacation and were able to enjoy your time! It's so important!

So, off to another week. Let's keep going!!!!!

ubergirl
06-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Hi Sunny: welcome back! Glad that you had a nice relaxing vacation. Sounds like heaven! It is hard to stay on plan while eating out all the time, but I also think that no plan will work if we don't relax enough to enjoy our vacations. Bit win on the bathing suit! I love swimming!

Diane: If you are really not enjoying all the exercise, you should give it a break for a while. I know that when I exercise a lot I can see the difference in how I look but I don't see it on the scale, and sometimes we just need that scale to move!

As for me, yesterday was a good day! Since I went out to lunch, I ate more calories than normal for lunch, and I had to compensate by eating less for dinner-- which I normally hate, but it was fine.

Tomorrow is "official" weigh in but scale dropped a pound this am-- phew. I'm excited that today is day 21. My first mini-goal is to stick with this for 1 month, so I'm getting there. Since my big regain in early 2012, I've managed to lose 12 or 13 lbs on more than one occasion, but I've never gotten past that hump. Trying to take it one day at a time!

FeraFilia
06-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Good afternoon, ladies! :)

Welcome back Sunny! Glad you had a good vacation and kudos on the NSV! If the scale says you maintained, then you probably dropped a little, since I bet you're retaining some water from all the dinners out.

Diane - Isn't that stupid .2 frustrating? UGH. So ready to see an actual drop! I remember from last time that right around TOM my body just seems to hold on to everything for a week, and then I get some serious drops a few days in a row. The week before, maybe .2 loss, and then the week after, like 5 pounds POOF. So I guess it all evens out, it's just frustrating. And that's why I try not to weigh every day.

Uber - YAY for seeing the scale move! And you will make it to a month, or I will drag you kicking and screaming across the goal line. :P

My husband (who doesn't even like soccer, btw) will be wandering off to watch the World Cup (US vs Ghana) tonight, so the cats and I will be having a girls night. Exciting stuff.

We're also waiting for the phone to ring to schedule that interview with the church council because we really want this thing to happen. The good news is, he's gotten past the toughest part, and the rest should be fairly easy. I've got my fingers crossed :crossed: and prayers going up, like, every 5 minutes that this is where we should be and things go smoothly. I fell in love with that house as soon as we walked in the front door. I've already got plans for decor, and plans for a garden, and plans to turn the basement into a home gym. :P

Speaking of gym: I've been pretty good about going and getting at least a 2 mile walk in on the treadmill the last few days, even though I've had to climb through some fog to get into the exercise state of mind. It's entirely too hot to walk outside right now. And I've been feeling incredibly lazy. I just want to laze about and read or sleep or play games on the computer. It's starting to come back though, so hopefully soon I'll be back to normal.

Here's hoping for a good weigh in tomorrow! :D

ubergirl
06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi Fera, wow. I just realized that you live in Columbia, South Carolina. I just "spent the morning" there. (I'm a writer, and I'm working on a chapter set at Fort Jackson during WWII)

So.... let me ask you a question... since I've never been to South Carolina, what does it smell like? Are there any particular scents that you associate particularly with your hometown? Any flowers that are scented and especially prevalent?

Thanks much! Research!

MrsTryingAgain
06-16-2014, 04:07 PM
I saw this tread & it is sooo me. :o
I DO NOT know what is wrong with me. I was in a job I HATED! I wanted to find something better, but in this economy...yeah, right! My boss was a total moron, without a clue as to how to manage people or a store. That led to a lot of frustration.
I however was "let go" at Christmas...I think is was in retaliation to me filing a sexual harassment charges against his GF who worked at the store, too. I tried to fight it, to no avail. So there's that stress of no job & having to look for work for the last 6 months.
H(ubby) had a stroke in late Feb. So me being unemployed was actually kind of a blessing, it allowed me to care for him. Take him to appointments & do physical therapy with him.
I crawled back on the horse on May 11th, Mother's Day, after spending the afternoon with Mom. She had this really concerned look on her face. I KNEW it was about me, even though she didn't say anything. I'm sure she's worried that I, too, will have a stroke or worse. And I KNOW that I'm playing unhealthy games with my health. To see it trough Mom's eyes was just too rough to take. :cry:
I'm walking nearly every day (4-6x/week) for 30-45 mins. Some times I do this twice a day if it's not too hot out. I've tried to revamp my eating to something more healthy. I've for the most part cut out all sodas..drinking more H2O, unsweetened iced tea.
Menopause also struck me in March. I really, really wish hot flashes (POWER SURGES) burned as many calories as it feels like they do! So my body is doing weird things & not dropping weight like it did 2x before. But I AM NOT GVING UP!!! Black Cohish, cool showers & cool bandanas have been a big help.
Well, I better see about getting something done. H has had an appointment today (physical therapy) & we have to go have blood taken again (anticoagulant level check) & then go pick up some meds. Love busy days.....NOT!!!

:drill: BE HEALTHY! TAKE CARE OF YOU! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :drill:

FeraFilia
06-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Uber - lots of southern magnolia trees, at least around the campus here. And in Columbia, lots AND LOTS of old churches... many of them rebuilt after being burned down during the Civil war.

The folks here that are doing their religious training so they can do military chaplaincy do a lot of their work over at Ft Jackson. I think that's where they do a majority of the chaplain training.

Hello MrsTryingAgain! I, too, started over again on Mother's Day! Not for the same reason... I realized if I'm ever going to celebrate mother's day as a mother, I'd need to get some of this weight off my bones. My regain was also due to lots of stress including my husband's medical issues (he's got Crohn's and had a pretty bad flare up about a year ago). Welcome to this little corner of the internet, and make yourself at home. :)

FeraFilia
06-17-2014, 12:20 AM
SO, here's a weird NSV for you guys...

I just realized that I can take my rings off without struggling too much with it. When I was at my lowest of 247(ish) they were almost falling off and I could wear them on my middle finger instead of my ring finger. At my highest (330) I couldn't get them off, they'd barely spin. So I must have lost like a thin layer of fat from all over or something. We'll see what the weigh in says tomorrow. I'm less than 4 pounds away from a new book. :D

Slashnl
06-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Fera: That is a great NSV! You are doing so well!!!!! I've noticed that with my ring, too. I had to get it enlarged a few years ago, but it was pretty snug at 294. Now it is easy to get off and on. I also took a link out of my watch because it was spinning all the time.

MrsTryingAgain: Welcome!! You are close to my age, I think. I turned 50 at my last birthday. To me it makes such a difference to look at it from a health point of view, rather than just wanting to look better. I hate that it is so cliché, but 50 makes you realize that you are so far past 30's and out of your 40's, that there isn't as much time to get it all together anymore. I do not want to be old and fat to the point where I lose all my ability to do things. It just doesn't have to be like that! So, glad you are joining us! We'll support you! BTW, love your avatar!

Uber: So cool that you write! Also glad you saw a loss! Always a good thing.

Not much new here. Went to Body Pump this morning. It was a new workout, so it was challenging. That's always good!

ubergirl
06-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Fera: That is awesome about your ring! Isn't it bizarre that ev
en stuff like jewelry can get too small. I have this really pretty gold medallion that I wore all the time and when I had my big ole regain, I had to stop wearing it because my neck got too fat! Now, if that isn't depressing, I don't know what is...

Diane: Also awesome for you that you had to take a link out of your watch! I have a gold bangle that I can't get on and off right now. Fat wrists are really a bummer! And yep, I'm a writer, but I keep my ubergirl persona and my author name completely separated-- no need for everyone to know exactly how much I eat and what I weigh, LOL.

Mrs. Trying Again: Welcome! It must be very scary to have your husband have a stroke! And starting on Mother's Day really shows how deep your motivation is. Another member of the 50s club here-- I'm 52.

So, official weigh in today and down one pound for the week. So idiotic to be disappointed, as I'm down a total of 11 since I started and I know that's kick butt. I feel like getting the first 20 off is really going to be big for me. I've managed to lose this much on 3 or 4 occasions since my big regain in 2012, but i've never powered past that point.

Last time, I remember that once I started dropping clothing sizes it all got so fun-- I started shopping and experimenting with new looks, and best of all-- people started noticing. After that, it got much easier. So for me the trick will be to hold on until then.

Magnolia trees, huh? Thanks! That's perfect. Thanks, Fera!

FeraFilia
06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Uber - Not just magnolia, southern magnolia. There's a more specific name for them, but basically they thrive in the hot and humid weather. The blooms are bright white and bigger than regular magnolia (which I think have a yellow tint to them). Here are a couple pictures I took (one at the zoo, one off my back porch)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2elzf9u.jpg http://i57.tinypic.com/30mvcz5.jpg

So... Mid week weigh in. I was gonna cry if I saw 313.6 again. Shocker, I saw 311.8! So, the scale is actually moving again... and I'm 2 pounds away from getting a new book. :D Guess I should do some research about which book I want that to be, eh? Oh decisions... If all goes well, I should have it next week.

FeraFilia
06-17-2014, 03:40 PM
WOOHOO!!!

Also, apparently I can now add links, and pictures and have a sig. :D

Postwhoring in celebration. :) :carrot:

ubergirl
06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Fera-- Woohoo to the two pounds, and the siggy! And to book shopping!

I know this might sound crazy, but I often take a shower before lunch and I've noticed that I actually usually weigh in a bit lower at that time than at my morning weigh-in. So I stepped on the scale again before hopping in the shower and in fact I was a pound lighter. I decided that since today is weigh-in day, I'm going to take the lower weight as my "official" weight, so that means I'm actually down 2 lbs for the week and 12 overall!! Hooray!

FeraFilia
06-17-2014, 07:49 PM
YAY! I don't eat until past noon most days... So I weigh in right before my first meal... Which is usually a small lunch. I don't get really hungry until dinner time.

Tonight? RAVENOUS. I made spinach pinwheels, which are absolutely delicious, and 73 calories each. I've already had 4 of them. I"ll probably have 3 more before dinner is done. I am glad I've got plans for the gym tonight because I doubt there will be leftovers.

To make, if anyone is interested:

1 tube crescent roll sheet (or just the regular roll, with the seams pinched together)
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed, and drained/squeezed dry
1 8oz block greek yogurt cream cheese
garlic powder

mix up the cream cheese, spinach and garlic, then spread on the rectangle of the crescent rolls. Roll up from the long side, and cut into ~18 pieces. Bake at 375 for 17-20 minutes until golden. And then try not to eat them all. :D

SunnyMac
06-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Afternoon all!
I'm pretty psyched for all if you! It sounds like everyone is having a good week so far!

FERA-awesome 2lbs! Congrats! I have a magnolia in my yard... It blooms white but is no where as georgeous as this so it must just be a plain old norther magnolia :)

Uber-11 is awesome! Keep it up and that first 20 will be gone before you know it!

Slash ( Diane?) awesome going to body pump and trying a new workout!

Misstryagain -welcome!!!!

I've had an... Interesting start to the week. Yesterday was perfect...today I'm struggling a bit... Mainly because a dumb woman and a questionably existing x boyfriend who supposedly ran away from the scene decided to crash their car along our property last night. No major damage thankfully... The mailbox didn't make it and she was going fast enough to relocate a 5000 lb slab Of granite slab from our wall 10 feet into my garden so needless to say it was loud enough to wake me up at midnight and dragged on with the authorities until after 3am... And I get up at 430 am on Tuesdays to meet my trainer. Needless to say I'm exhausted a from an hour of sleep, zombied out from an extra long hectic stay late day at work and stiff from an intense weight training workout.

I'm mostly on track for the day but I ate a bit extra. In come the trigger... No sleep = wanting more eats! I'm powering through the best I can. I should be home from work by 830 and think it's straight for bed.cant eat if I'm asleep and man I need to sleep! I'm also on the verge of TOM to add insult to injury. Anyway I'm gonna wait to weigh until Monday after a rest day from training and TOM being gone... That is always my best number day.

Ugh ok train coming to an end and time for the driving portion of my heinous commute. Wish me luck! More tomorrow hopefully without sleep depravation!

FeraFilia
06-18-2014, 01:18 AM
Me and my hubby at his graduation. :) It's part "aww" and part "ugh"

I love this man to pieces. But seeing this pic was one of the big pushes to get me to seriously commit to this after the first couple of weeks and the 'newness' wore off.

http://i62.tinypic.com/142e90w.jpg

SunnyMac
06-18-2014, 06:18 AM
Awwww this picture is very sweet. You look very very happy :)

LaurieDawn
06-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Can I rejoin this thread? I have gone back a few pages and have been so inspired.

I have been back at the gym for about two weeks now, but my food is not good. I just got married, and my new husband is a very good cook. Worse than that, though, is that he hates to eat by himself. I knew this from when we were dating, but the fact that I'm living with him now puts constant pressure on me to either eat with him or risk hurting his feelings. I have been choosing to eat with him. I have been trying to create a plan where I save my calories for when I'm with him. But that's hard for me for several reasons. First, my willpower to resist high-cal food is lowest in the evening, and eating just a little bit of it tends to open the floodgates. Secondly, I hate feeling really full and bloated any time, but particularly in the evenings. And, pardon my potential TMI, but sex is much better for me when I'm not feeling weighed down by food in my stomach. Additionally, the feeling that I'm on plan helps me feel better about my body (easier to think of it as a work in progress than inevitably being heavy), which boosts my confidence, which makes the sex better for both of us.

Sorry for the introductory rant. I had actually planned on just saying I'm so excited to be part of such an active group that consists of both familiar veterans (Diane and Uber!) and dedicated people that I have yet to get to know.

And the graduation picture is amazing. I hate pictures, and have been trying very hard to do them anyway, and to do them well (not trying to fade into the background or have pained expressions). It's a gorgeous picture marking a great moment in your life. Thanks for posting it.

Slashnl
06-18-2014, 12:23 PM
LaurieDawn: Yay! You're joining us! I'm so glad. Boy, if my husband cooked at all, I don't know what I would do!! That would be tough to stay under control, so more power to you! Good job on the gym!

Fera: Such a great picture! I know it is hard to enjoy pictures of ourselves, when we're not feeling positive about how we look. I'm the same way. But, this is absolutely wonderful and such a great time of life! Good job on the weight loss! Oh, and love the magnolia! I live out west in a desert area, and we just don't have flowers like that.

Uber: Also congrats on the weight loss! Nice! You're getting closer and closer to the 20 pound mark.

SunnyMac: What a crazy night you had. Hopefully you can survive the day and make it through! Get some rest tonight!

So, I was off and on watching "Extreme Weight Loss" last night. Pretty amazing what they can do with a trainer and one year of work. I liked the way that they had 4 3-month phases and established weight loss goals for that time period. Good to break it up like that, I think.

Not much else going on here. Just went to Spin class this morning.

ubergirl
06-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Fera: thank you for posting the picture! If you don't like what you see, I promise that someday you will see what a beautiful picture it is! One weird thing I noticed when I lost 110 lbs? When I was thin, I felt love and compassion for my fat self. When I looked at my "humiliating fat" pictures I thought to myself "why did I hate her so much, she looks like a nice person and I would want to be her friend." When I look at your picture I see two beautiful people who are in love! You WILL lose weight because you seem to have so many reasons to be happy!

LaurieDawn: Welcome! I remember you! Congratulations on getting married! I agree that your situation has certain challenges, but I'm sure you can figure it out. If your hubby is like mine, then just mentioning that sex is better on an empty stomach will probably be enough to get him to forgo dinner entirely. ;)
Also, this might not work for you, as you said nighttime eating isn't so good for you, but I do actually find it really helpful to save calories for dinner-- somehow if I eat a nice-sized dinner with my family, I don't mind starving the rest of the day.
Another thing that I do is that I prepare meals with protein, veggie and rice or pasta and then I skip the rice or pasta and just eat the protein and veggie. The slim members of my family eat what I eat, but they add another 300 cals or so with the starch-- they don't even notice that they're being "deprived." Of course, you can also eat higher cal foods if you really watch portion size-- I find that a lot harder-- but that's me. And if you stress that it's for your health (or maybe to get healthy for future plans for kids...?) that might help him realize how important it is to support you.

Sunny Mac: your day yesterday sounded AWFUL. Losing sleep is the one thing I absolutely can't stand! Good for you for soldiering through it.

Diane: I absolutely love watching weight loss shows. I power watched episodes of Heavy when I first started out. Helped me get motivated! I have not been exercising, but I'm starting to feel like it's time to start!

I'm doing really well! Amazingly, the scale rewarded me with yet another lb this morning-- for a total of 13 down. Best of all, I seem to have gotten over the hump. For the first 2 weeks I was absolutely STARVING all the time. But now, I really feel like I'm in a groove. Plus, I made an interesting discovery about myself. I think going to food stores is a trigger for me. For the past month, other family members have taken over food shopping because I've been really busy with work. I suddenly realized that I hadn't set foot in a grocery store in about a month. At grocery store I grab candy and baked goods and all kinds of other crap-- stuff that I often eat by myself. If I don't go into the store I don't even think about that stuff. Lucky for me, my hubby and mom who lives with us don't mind going to the store. I think I'm going to plan to stay out of the store as much as possible.

FeraFilia
06-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks y'all for the kind words about my picture... I just saw it and thought "omg my gut sticks out as far as my boobs!" and it was not a happy face I made.

Sunny - Yikes! Someone deciding to ruin my perfectly good lawn with their car in the middle of the night would definitely freak me out a bit. 3am isn't a good time for most people, so I hope the police were understanding.

Hi Laurie :wave: welcome back to our little corner of the internet. Congrats on your new marriage... I'm just 3 years into mine, so I remember it well. And I agree with Uber... Tell hubby that sex is better if you don't have a heavy dinner where you get super full, and I bet he'll lighten it up some. :)

Uber - It's always good to find those triggers! Personally I love going to the grocery store and just enjoying the smells of the bakery. About the only thing I'll still buy though, is a loaf of french bread. Yum. I tend to save my calories for dinner, too... But more because I know I tend to snack late at night, so if I eat a big dinner, I'm less inclined to snack all night long. It's a strategy. Really. :)

Diane - I have never watched that show. I watched Biggest Loser once, and it just depressed me. I felt like I'd never lose weight unless I spent days on end sweating it out on a machine. Though to have a trainer for a year? That would be awesome. And for you, here's another pretty picture of some pretty flowers. I have no idea what they are, but they are all over at the zoo and they are beautiful. :D

http://i57.tinypic.com/2vww74k.jpg

FeraFilia
06-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Oh. Let's hope this is true, shall we? :)

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vluwkm.jpg

(FYI, now that I can post pictures, they will happen frequently.)

LaurieDawn
06-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Mandy - I love that meme. It's not exactly true for me. But I really love to exercise, and once I have established the habit, I feel tons of guilt when I stop. Thanks for your welcome and your thoughts.

Uber - Good call on the "you know, the sex will be better if.." talk. ;-) We actually have a talk scheduled to discuss this and "new stepmother" issues.

Diane - So supportive as always. Yay on the spin class! That's actually something that I have not yet even tried.

So, last night, I told the hubby that I was working late, then meeting a friend to work out and grab dinner. Thought I would avoid the whole "eat the food he cooked" dilemma. He texted me as I was driving home, "Just built the fire so we can start cooking s'mores." Not a big deal for me, as I get a post-work-out willpower burst that helps me say no, in addition to the fact that I had just eaten (a reasonable amount of chicken breast, thank you). He called me "the wizard of never eating anything fun." Then, for the rest of the evening, referred to my food choices, like my Starkist tuna packets, as "cancer in a pouch," and my supplements, like my fish oil, as "cancer in pill form." Dude!

He is the kindest, most supportive man ever. He isn't threatened by my career, he encourages me to get to the gym, he doesn't make unreasonable demands on my time, and we have great fun together. But he has got to back off the "jokes" about my food choices. =) We have scheduled time to talk about it tomorrow.

Slashnl
06-19-2014, 11:36 AM
LaurieDawn: Yeah, he will learn not to go there on food choices! My husband doesn't say much at all. He knows it is dangerous ground. He only offers help/advice when I ask him, and usually that's about fitness stuff. But we've been married forever, so he learned.

Mandy: Yep, I would agree with that photo. I actually love the exercise part of this journey (well, most of the time). I think it helps me so much and I feel so good working out in the mornings. If I didn't have to watch what I eat, I would be better!!! Oh, and thanks for the flower picture. Just beautiful!! I love flowers and birds in the garden, I just don't do that well with my yard. I do have some pretty birds hanging out, but my flowers are weak.

Uber: It sounds like things are clicking for you. Glad to hear it!! That's good when you make it past the initial pains of starting a program.

Had a funny thing at the gym today. I had been drying my hair, so I didn't hear the song they had playing, so when I turned it off, I heard that it was one of Bon Jovi's from way back. I said something like, "Oh, I like that song! I haven't heard it forever!" Well, for some reason that set off these two women who are probably a little older than me. They didn't like Bon Jovi, which then brought them to some of his songs are lame, and girls these days are just so worried about their looks that they are losing their identities.... blah, blah, blah. I thought WHOA! Sorry I said I liked this song! Boy... old women issues!!

ubergirl
06-19-2014, 12:02 PM
LaurieDawn: Let us know how "the talk" goes. Offering you food you don't want is one thing-- criticizing the stuff you actually do eat-- he needs to learn that's a no go.

Mandy: I like your photo. I'm in the non-exercising camp right now, but I'm the same-- when I get exercising, it's the best part of the day. I didn't want to throw exercise into the mix until I got a little more stable with food plan, but it's coming!

Diane: I'm envious of your awesome workout routine-- but too funny about the "old lady issues"! I'm gonna turn 53 shortly-- but I really don't feel like an old lady, and I don't really think I look like one (LOL) Good thing, since I still have a kid in elementary school!

Woke up this morning sure I was going to see a scale bounce this am, but I was actually down .02! I'm really happy with how I've set up my calorie distribution this time around. I drink coffee with steamed 2% milk in the morning, and I'm skipping breakfast-- the 1.5 cups of milk seems to keep me going until lunch. Then I eat a small lunch. No snacks. That gives me more food to work with at dinner. Since dinner is the one meal where we all sit down together, it makes me happy to be able to eat a bit more-- I feel less deprived. So far so good!

FeraFilia
06-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

Re: exercise - I"m working on it. I don't do *much* right now... just a 45 minute walk on the treadmill at 2.3 mph a few times a week. It's not a very fast pace, just a little faster than I normally walk. I'm thinking about adding some lifting to my routine, but I can't do the most common ones like squats or deadlifts because I can't put the weight on my ankle (partially torn ligament - been that way for YEARS - torn from the bone, scar tissue formed, surgical repair required), though I could do a lot of the upper body/core/seated leg exercises, so we'll see.

Laurie - good luck! My husband can be the same way sometimes, completely clueless that his humorously-intentioned comments can go a little far and needs a gentle reminder that that was a bit much, and please tone it down, at least on this topic, because what I'm doing is already hard enough on me. And he does. :)

Diane - LOL @ "old women issues"... Funny how a song or a TV show or a (gasp) favorite sports team (Ugh, how many times have I been called racist because I like the Redskins? That's a whole other rant.) can start a way-too-serious conversation? Sometimes people like things because they are fun... not because of some moral or political conviction. Geesh.

Uber - I set up my feeding schedule (yeah, hubby laughs when I call it that) in a simlar fashion. I'm not even hungry until later in the day, usually past noon. So I'll eat a small meal... like yogurt and fruit or peanut butter toast and milk, or a sandwich with lots of veggies. Then a few hours later I'll have a snack, most often one of those meal bars, or 1/2c fiber cereal + 1oz nuts for some sweet and salty. Then I prepare dinner... and I usually have 1000 calories or more available, so I can have a big full meal with my husband and not worry overmuch about calories... *and* it keeps me from wanting to eat all night long, which has always been a struggle for me.

I hope you all have a great day! :)

Slashnl
06-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Uber: Good for you with your calorie distribution and your weight loss! They say that what you eat is more important than exercising when you try to lose weight, so that is definitely the place to start. I'm with you, I try to keep it so that I have plenty of calories for dinner so that I can have what everyone else is having without being too restrictive. Since I workout in the morning, I need some protein, so I do have breakfast. I have these breakfast burritos that I make myself with lower calorie tortilla/wraps and heat those up at work almost every day.

Mandy: LOL at the feeding schedule. But, that's about the way it is. It is so much better to be consistent! That sounds pretty painful for your torn ligament. That would make it harder to just do whatever, so I'm sure you have to be careful.

Checked the scale this morning, and I'm just showing a .4 loss this week so far. I would like to have at least one pound by Monday, but we'll see how it goes. Went to Spin class this morning. It was really good for some reason. Could be because "Bill" was the instructor. Bill is probably in his 50's too, and I find him very attractive, both physically and his personality. No, I'm not looking for anything, very happily married, but he is fun to have in class. Kind of a nice break from the 20 year olds!! (Although I like them all too)

Have a good weekend!!

LaurieDawn
06-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Diane - I really love the positivity. It is so nice to read your posts, see your progress, and hear your "old ladies at the gym" story. Glad you can appreciate the spin instructor(s) like you do. =)

Mandy - "Humor" is a weird thing. He laughs when he says it, but I don't even think he's trying to be funny. He just seems to be doing it in a "I'll get in trouble if I say this seriously, but I want to say it" manner. He's the best in so many ways, but I don't need help triggering my disordered eating.

Uber - So glad you're seeing great progress. And I will report back after the "talk." Thanks for the interest. I am curious to see how it goes. I never know how he'll respond to things.

Reading about everyone else's schedules, I may opt for less solo food than before and save calories for the evening. I hate to be desperately hungry, but maybe that's the answer. Embrace the real hunger during the day when I can distract myself with tasks, and eat a worry-free meal at dinner. Something to consider. And one of the reasons I love this forum.

ubergirl
06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Diane: Mmmm 50 year old hottie. That would motivate me too! I'm sure when I start exercising I'll have to eat in the morning, but maybe I can also add back some calories... I know it must be frustrating not to see the scale move-- I remember during my last trajectory downward there was a period when I started working with a trainer and lifting-- I just was barely losing weight. It wasn't until I posted two pictures of myself that I realized how completely different I LOOKED. I never really bought into the idea of "compacting" until then. I bet you really look great!

LaurieDawn: not sure how long you've been back on plan, but I can reassure you that I was desperately hungry for the first 2 weeks and then my body really did adjust. I did not think I could keep up with skipping breakfast, but now the steamed milk gets me through to lunch. (that being said, I don't get up really early and I work sitting on my butt on my couch. back when I worked in a running around job, I could not possibly make it with no breakfast...) I may have to add breakfast when I take up exercise again.

i'm doing well. Yesterday, I had been working at the computer all day and I got pretty irritable by late afternoon. Was sort of wandering around the house and got that "nibble because I'm bored" feeling. Went outside to my garden and puttered around for a while and the feeling passed. Made fish for dinner and I didn't really make quite enough for everyone-- by the time I served myself there was only 2 oz left. But I filled up with everything else-- salad, brussel sprouts, a few strawberries and I left the table full and completely satisfied. It really is miraculous how staying on plan does get easier with time. Monday will be the end of week 4. :carrot::carrot:

FeraFilia
06-20-2014, 02:49 PM
So, I'm just gonna put this right here:

:cheer3::cheer2::cheer3::cheer2::cheer3::cheer2: :cheer3:

:broc::carrot::broc::carrot::broc::carrot::broc:

I get a new book today! :D

My weigh in was 310.4 which puts me at 20.2 pounds lost since May 11.

Also, my nifty little chart thanks to tickerfactory:

My Weight Chart:
http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/WeightPlot/wzdPXqN.png (http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wzdPXqN)

I'm pretty excited, can you tell? :D

ubergirl
06-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Mandy: HOORAY :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot::carrot:

Such great news!

(I'm popping in to say that I'm pissed. Took my girls out to lunch at our favorite Japanese restaurant. Ordered grilled ahi tuna-- which I've had there before. Only this time, it came smothered in sweet Teriyaki sauce and some kind of mayo. Tried to scrape it off and didn't eat all of it, but I'm sure I ended up with lots of unwanted calories. Plus it wasn't even good. Next time if that happens I'm going to send it back! Guess I'll be really careful at dinner!)

FeraFilia
06-21-2014, 01:29 AM
Uber - I hope your dinner was better than your lunch! I'm not even a little bit afraid to tell a server my food wasn't prepared correctly. I am not one to let it affect the tip of the server though, because the server didn't cook the food (unless they are a jerk about taking the food back to the kitchen). The perils of eating out... Not worth the calorie hit sometimes!

ubergirl
06-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Good morning all:

So, scale bounced up a pound this morning, and of course it discouraged me even though I KNOW that daily weights do that. Of course, I thought it was because of yesterday's lunch. But honestly-- there's no way the sauce added more than 300 calories-- and that's probably a stretch since it was drizzled onto grilled tuna. Tonight my family is taking me out to celebrate my birthday (Monday). I've eaten there before and it's a seafood place that specializes in grilled fresh fish, so I'm sure I'll find something healthy-- but i'm saving calories for dinner because I want to enjoy without going overboard.

Hope ya'll have a good day.

FeraFilia
06-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone! :wave:

So, completely unrelated comment... I seriously need a hair cut. I put my pants on this morning, and had to pull my hair out of the waist band. But I don't know what to do with it. It's not straight... and it's not pretty-curly. It's like wavy-frizz-fest curly and I don't know what kind of 'do I should go for. I usually just chop it off to my shoulders and donate it, but I think I want to go a little shorter and just DIFFERENT this time around. My husband pouts because he *loves* it long.

I'm thinking maybe cut it to around the base of my neck and have layers from ears down. We'll see what happens.

Uber - Don't stress your bounce! It's definitely water, if you've been keeping your calories in the right range. It'll come off. :) That stress is why I stopped weighing daily, and cut it back to twice a week (Tuesday and Friday), I even *mostly* stick with that schedule lol. Though, I'm going to contradict myself, because I DID step on this morning, to make sure I could still get my book, and my weight dropped from 310.4 yesterday to 309.6 today. I may have squealed, and I definitely get my new book. :D

Slashnl
06-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi All!!

Mandy: A new book and 20 pounds! That is so awesome!!!!! Good for you! Don't know what to tell you about your hair. I have one of those husbands that likes long hair too. It actually is longer now than it has been since my 20's. I just do what I want. It isn't like he cares what I say about his hair! ha!

Uber: Could the pound just be from the sauce that maybe had sodium in it? I'll bet you'll go back down soon. It is frustrating to try to be good when you go out to eat. Sometimes, if you can't check ahead of time, you are surprised at how much it really was in calories. Oh well. We have to live a little too!

LaurieDawn: Yeah, I shouldn't make fun of people. But I just really don't want to become one of those old lady types. As it is now, most people are surprised to hear I'm 50. And I don't want that to change. I know I'll get older, and I'm good with that, but I just don't want to be a stuck-in-the-mud old lady. My Mom is 75 and she still is young at heart. She is way more accepting of new things than most people!

Well, had a little NSV today. I have been slightly embarrassed at how bad my workout clothes are starting to look. They are old. So, I went to the store to get some new tank tops. I was so happy to buy in the misses section, and the XL tops were a little too big, so I went with Large. Little victory, but I was happy. I thought that I should try on some shorts, too, but then I told myself that I'm not sure I'm where I want to be for those, so we'll wait.

ubergirl
06-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Mandy: My hair is not curly pretty, but curly wavy frizz fest! The best advice I can give you, bar none, is to find a stylist who specializes in curly hair. I wear mine about chin length parted on the side, and scrunched up with product. When I don't get it cut by a curly specialist I usually end up with my kids charmingly call "football head". Where my hair ends up in a frizzy triangle shape. Ugh. My hair always takes WORK!

Diane: Getting into a L size workout top is AWESOME! All that working out is really getting you somewhere! Also, I agree with you about not wanting to be an old lady at 50! It think the 50s are a great age-- young enough to still feel like you can do anything and yet not so tied down.

FeraFilia
06-21-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't have very many pics of it down, and curly when it's long, this is the best one I have, and it's 4 years old. Yay selfies. It only does the curls in the front, and the back is more waves. I usually just straighten it, or put it in a pony tail to save the hassle.

Edit to add: there is gel in those curls holding them in place and to keep them from frizzing

http://i57.tinypic.com/13zwxmb.jpg

ubergirl
06-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Mandy: Your hair is so pretty and mine is MUCH worse than that! Mine is curlier than yours but if I don't use gel, the curls all fall out and I end up with flat but super frizzy. I think if you cut it shorter it will look pretty!

So, went out for birthday dinner which included broiled fish, baked potato with butter, a cocktail... and a "birthday sundae" for dessert. I'm stuffed, but I had prepared for the meal and am popping right back on plan tomorrow. One of my goals for weight loss is to manage going off plan occasionally, on special occasions.. I think I kept my total calories for the day at about 1800 which is not bad considering. It's certainly not weight loss calories. I just hope that in spite of my "cheat dinner" I can still post a loss for the week when I weigh in on Tuesday.

ubergirl
06-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Just popping in to say that this morning's weigh in was DISTURBING! Up 2 pounds! Yikes! I know that I did not eat enough extra food to gain two pounds...
I'm reminding myself that I made a decision to incorporate this meal into my plan that I didn't really gain two pounds of fat, and that I'm still going to post a loss for the week (I hope!) Hope you all have a good Sunday!

FeraFilia
06-22-2014, 12:56 PM
I've been eating between 1600-1800 calories every day since I started. Up to 2000 sometimes if I exercise.

I wouldn't stress the bump, if you ate out, there was tons of sodium in your food, and it's all water. Chug some H2O and don't worry about it. :)

Re: my hair

I'm waiting until we move and settle somewhere to get it cut. All I can afford are those 8 dollar discount hair places right now, and they tend to butcher my hair. So I'll wait until I can afford to pay for a good quality cut by someone who knows how to handle long and curly(ish) hair.

Also - Today at church, the congregation was celebrating the pastor's 25th ordination anniversary. We walked in and they were all like HEY HAVE SOME CAKE AND A CUPCAKE. And we said "um, can we get it after the service?" They said HERE TAKE IT WITH YOU. And we ended up with 4 cupcakes and a slab of sheet cake in ziplock bags because they apparently think I don't feed my husband. Now, I just have to figure out how to avoid them.

Slashnl
06-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Mandy: I like your hair! But I do think you're smart to wait to get it cut until someone who is more skilled with curls can handle it!

Uber: Dang! I hate it when that happens, but hang in there! I'm sure that the weight will come back off quickly. I do think lots of water is a good idea!!

Not much going on here today. I'm actually coloring my hair today. Ha! I have relatively straight hair, but incredibly gray. But, I keep it colored. When finances got really tough, I quit going to the salon to color it. I do it myself now. I don't know if it is that great, but definitely cheaper for me to do it.

LaurieDawn
06-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Uber - Dang! I hate the bump-ups, even when there is explanation for them. But this isn't your first rodeo. You know what it is, and you know that it's going to come off. And even if you gained fat (which seems HIGHLY unlikely), sometimes it's worth it to live "normally." That's my goal -- try to be normal and weight conscious. And maybe that will translate into a lifetime commitment to good choices.

Diane - Woot on the sizes! That's such a huge deal. And your sizes are smaller than mine, even though (at least according to your ticker), your weight is higher than mine. You must be packing some muscle. =)

Mandy - You have beautiful hair. May be challenging and time-consuming to get it to look that good, but it does look good. Interestingly, when I'm on plan (regardless of weight or even weight loss trajectory), I care a whole lot more about what I'm wearing and how I'm doing my hair and make-up, etc. It's one of the perks, at least in my life, of being on plan.

Had the talk with the husband last night. All seemed to go pretty well. At first, he was like, "You don't like it cuz you know I'm right." I told him I didn't care if he was "right." I'm an adult, and I get to make my decisions, and I'm comfortable with my level of information about these decisions. Finally, he agreed to not comment on my food choices. So far,so good. =)

Also, am doing an Intermittent Fasting stint this week. Gonna see if I like it and if it's sustainable. That could provide the simplest solution to my "eating with the husband and stepkids concern."

FeraFilia
06-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Diane - I want to color my hair, too! (That pic is natural color - I usually go red)... Unfortunately, it costs a ton just to buy the color to put in my hair (3 boxes!) and then it takes forever to apply it. Bleh.

Laurie - I really like the intermittent fasting. It's what I did before to help lose 50+ pounds... It's what I did to gain them back, too. I never really changed my feeding schedule, I just stopped eating good stuff. You can drink all you want, zero calorie stuff, or coffee (I add a little cinnamon to mine along with the 0-cal sweetener and I swear it helps stave off hunger), but try to keep your calorie consumption within a 6-8 hour window. I usually eat 2 big snacks or a small meal and a snack... one between 2-3 and the other between 5-6, and hubby and I eat dinner around 8 or so, then I have a snack around 10. It also helps to log what I'm having when to make sure everything will fit.... That's why I *love* MFP. I hope you can make IF work! I've found it's been a way to avoid strife in my home because my husband doesn't like all the lower calorie foods I tend to prepare, so we compromise and have dinner his way one night, with a healthy side... and my way the next, with something a little calorie-dense as a side. Keeps me in my calories, and I've never had a problem.

FeraFilia
06-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Also...

Does anyone have a good recipe for drumsticks? I have a tray with a dozen sitting in my fridge I want to prepare, but I don't want to fry them. (They are skin-on)

LaurieDawn
06-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Day 1 of IF in the books. I chose a 5-hour window from 5-10 p.m. Wasn't as hard as I imagined. Forgot I had a business lunch today, though, so I will probably be consuming a "smoothie" there. Not fooled by the promise of nutritional benefits, but I will fulfill my social eating obligation. <sigh>

So glad to hear it's worked / is working for you, Mandy. It's wonderful to see proof that it's a) doable and b) effective. It's also worth hearing that a small(ish) eating window is not a substitute for being calorie-aware.

Slashnl
06-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi all. Had a not-so-good weigh in today. Up .8 pounds. Kind of irritating, but I think I've been not so diligent with my calories, so I'll have to be more attentive to it.

LaurieDawn: I have a lot of my weight in my stomach, butt and thighs so I am pretty sure I wouldn't be down as far in sizes if I were buying shorts or pants. Hope the IF works for you! Keep us updated!

Mandy: Do you like to grill drumsticks? That would be good!

Anyway, onward. Have a good week everyone!

ubergirl
06-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Day 1 of IF in the books. I chose a 5-hour window from 5-10 p.m. Wasn't as hard as I imagined. Forgot I had a business lunch today, though, so I will probably be consuming a "smoothie" there. Not fooled by the promise of nutritional benefits, but I will fulfill my social eating obligation. <sigh>

So glad to hear it's worked / is working for you, Mandy. It's wonderful to see proof that it's a) doable and b) effective. It's also worth hearing that a small(ish) eating window is not a substitute for being calorie-aware.

Mandy and LaurieDawn: What is IF? If you don't mind me asking?

Mandy: You're lucky you can lose weight on 1800 calories. At 53, I don't lose unless I'm around 1200. The bright side is that 1200 doesn't seem like so little to me-- whereas when I was younger I could not manage on that little. The first two weeks, I was starving, but now I'm used to it.

Diane: for your viewing pleasure. Here's a picture of me from a couple of years ago. My weight was in the upper 180s and I am wearing an XL exercise shirt and XL pants. So you can see how kick butt you must look to be into a size L! I'm thinking of you and looking at this picture to try to motivate me to start exercising now.

So, the good news is the bounce is gone. The bad news is that weigh in is tomorrow and I've lost ZERO lbs this week. I REALLY hope the scale moves tomorrow, because if it doesn't, I'll be frustrated. Still and all, tomorrow is 1 month and I'm down 13 for the month, which I know is good.

FeraFilia
06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Uber: IF is intermittent fasting. It just means you consume your calorie allotment in a 6-8 hour window and fast for the rest of the day. I usually have mine from 2-10 or 3-11... basically my "don't eat after this time" is 8 hours after my first food of the day. I keep all my calories in that 8 hour window, and only have water before and after. It means I can eat a mostly worry free (I usually allow about 800-1000 calories) dinner with my husband at the end of the day, without forcing him into a low calorie life style that he doesn't need. He fends for himself for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I dunno, I may be doing it wrong, but that's the impression I got when I read about it and thought it would fit me well, since I'm rarely hungry in the morning anyway. There's also the 5:2 method which I believe is you set a weekly calorie goal, and have 2 days of the week at 500 (fasting) and then the other 5 days are divvied up between deficit and surplus to total your weekly goal, so you can have high and low days, basically calorie cycling. Which is good, if you've got a lot going on and need extra calories some days. (example, if you want to average 1200 calories, you'd have a weekly allotment of 8400 calories, your fast days would be at 500, your deficit days (say, 2) would be at 1200, and your 3 surplus days would be 1600-1700, for a total of 8400)... Though, that's just my impression of 5:2, and I could be completely wrong on that, too.

TL;DR: It means you fast most of the day, and only eat your calories in a specific time window.

ubergirl
06-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks Mandy. That's interesting as it's close to what I do anyway. I have coffee with steamed milk for breakfast (122 calories for a cup of 2% milk.) Then I eat lunch and dinner. No snacks. So I eat food twice, at noon and around 6 pm....but I'm sure once I drop a few more pounds and start exercising, I'm going to be too hungry to skip breakfast.

LaurieDawn
06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/295788-5-2-if-plan-tell-me-how-working-you.html

There is a 3FC thread on this one.

I stumbled across IF when looking for weight lifting recommendations and advice. I don't know how many weight lifters do it, but I know at least some do. I am only on day 2, and I had a small ice cream cone for lunch (much fewer calories than the "smoothie," and neither one is nutritionally optimal), so I haven't been "pure" today. I am quite hungry, but I'm finding that the hunger is tolerable, at least for now. And I'm getting in my fluid, and very productive during my non-eating time.

FeraFilia
06-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Oops. Diane! Sorry! I just saw your post about grilling the drumsticks.

I love grilled chicken, but I don't like grilling them with the bone in, because I either manage to over cook them, or they end up still being raw next to the bone. I haven't mastered the bone-in cuts of chicken yet. Boo.

But, I am thinking of trying this for dinner tomorrow, or Weds depending on when the drummies thaw out: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/garlic-roasted-chicken-and-potatoes

I imagine with the crusty/roasted potatoes and the maple syrup in with the chicken, it will have a chicken and waffles flair to it, for not nearly as many calories. :D

SunnyMac
06-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi all! Once again I have been gone for a few days and need to get caught up reading the thread before I respond to everyone. My last post I was loopy from being up all night with the car accident outside my house. That was followed by a week of working late, a second night up with commotion outside when one of there was apparently an explosion at the high tension power lines near our house. After that I woke up sick on Thursday and have been down for the count. Guess 6 weeks of travel and one week of drama finally caught up with me. I swear my life is like a tv show sometimes.

Anyway I'm finally starting to feel better. Good news is I'm down. 8 lbs... I'm still in my '15lb yoyo zone' so I'm on eggshells for 7 more lbs but I'll take it! This week I have to stay in the city wed-fri for a combined show opening and mini conference. I'm going in prepared. I've brought breakfast and lunches for every day that can stay in my office. I have access to the hotel gym and am rooming with a friend who will also work out. Also since the hotel is across the street from my venue no 1.5 hour commute for me which is nice. I have one big dinner out which is my plan for the one thing to 'enjoy' without going overboard. I brought one dinner for the office and then I only need to survive the 2 cocktail parties. Avoiding the alcohol will be easy,... I've been sick and drinking won't help that. And I'm just going to try to avoid any food on trays that isn't a raw vegetable.

Ok I'll read up and get caught up on everyone's week ASAP. Good to be back and returning to health! Hope everyone has been awesome!

LaurieDawn
06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Good morning!

Welcome back, SunnyMac. I have sort of crashed this little thread since you last posted, but I'm glad to see you're back and feeling better. I hate the highly available free food. That's the hardest thing to avoid.

I'm on Day 3 of IF. Yesterday was hard, as I had a meeting go really long, so I didn't eat anything (besides the lunchtime ice cream cone) until 8:00, and I was starving, starving. Then, I tried to get in all my daily calories in a short time frame, and became uncomfortably full. This is going to take some getting used to. =) But it feels like a good choice. I get to sit across from my husband and eat like a "normal" person. Woot!

Slashnl
06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Uber: Thanks for sharing the picture. You look great in that picture, what a motivation! Now, I guess I should clarify that the large shirts are also a knit fabric, so they do have give to them. And, I went with the large because I plan to keep losing. If I was just going to have them to wear normally, I probably would have gone with the XL. But, I wore one yesterday to Spin and one to Body Pump today, and I think they were good. It felt great to have them on!

SunnyMac: Welcome back! Hope things settle down a little bit for you!

Mandy: Yep, that sounds like a winning recipe! You'll have to let us know how it goes!

LaurieDawn: Oh, that would have been tough making it that long while you're feeling so hungry! But good for you for making it through! I'm impressed!

I hopped on the scale this morning because I was so disappointed in yesterday's weigh in. I went down a pound from yesterday and I didn't really try to change anything. I am at the time when it would have been my TOM, but I don't think it is coming this month. Maybe I am fluctuating because of those issues. Oh joy.

Have a good day everyone!

FeraFilia
06-24-2014, 01:16 PM
Good afternoon all! I'm about to do my "mid-week" weigh in. Weighing twice a week is sort of my compromise between once a week weighing and the constant wonder, and the daily weighing that leads to a bit of obsession. Fingers crossed for a good number!

Sunny - Welcome back! Hope you are rested and feeling better. You should have one of those reality shows that they air on TLC or some such about people with crazy lives. :lol:

Laurie: YIKES! I've done the occasional 24 hour fast (I'm thinking of throwing it in once a week) where I go from 8pm to 8pm the following day without eating, and then doing a regular dinner. It's hard. But you eventually adjust. My body knows when the food is coming, and I don't start getting hunger cues until shortly before I've got plans to eat. So it *does* get easier. I promise! If you end up going longer than you anticipate and have a hard time with your calories... Don't stress about eating them all. One day low isn't gonna make or break. You can always eat a little higher the next day to compensate. Many people do that... Work on a weekly deficit, instead of a daily, and have high and low days through the week.

Diane - Being a woman is *so* much fun... :rolleyes: I'll be sure to report my findings. I think I'll be making it tomorrow, because the drumsticks aren't completely thawed yet. Fish for dinner tonight. My favorite baked tilapia dish. Mmm.

ubergirl
06-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Fera: good luck with the weigh in!
Diane: Boy do I wish I looked as good now as I did in that picture. But it does REMIND me how awesome it felt to be that fit. I'm ready to add in a fitness component.
Sunny: sounds like you've been through a lot. Good for you for sticking with it in spite of everything. I love the expression "fifteen pound yo-yo zone". Boy do I know what you mean!!!!! Since my regain, my yo-yo zone has always stopped at 260. Boy am I looking forward to pushing below that. That's when I'll know I'm actually getting somewhere.

Laurie: I was STARVING for the first two weeks but now I am definitely getting used to my new plan. I'm like Fera-- my body will reset and start to expect when to demand food.

So for me. Down one this week. So, I lost 5 the first two weeks. Two the third week, and one now. Sigh. On the other hand I went out, had a big birthday dinner, jumped right back on board and still posted a loss, so I'm calling it a win. 14 total for my first month is NOT BAD. Headed for that first mini-goal of 260. Since the giant regain of 2012 I've never gone lower than that.

EDITED: I'M ACTUALLY DOWN TWO! I just didn't look at my ticker properly.:carrot::carrot::carrot:

FeraFilia
06-24-2014, 06:44 PM
LOL... YAY for happy mistakes! :carrot:

My weigh in wasn't what I was hoping for, but wasn't off by much. I was hoping for a 1-1.2lb drop, and got 0.8. But, I guess I can't be upset (and really, I'm not, because still... it was a loss and I've been going hard on the sodium the last couple days LOL). But, it also put my weight at 309.6, which means I've lost 10 pounds for the month (already, with a week left!) and it also means I should *finally* be back in the 200s by the end of next month. :D

So, happy times at my place today!

Sandi
06-24-2014, 06:58 PM
:wave: been a long time since I have posted. I poke around making sure all is well but haven't been active in a while. In 2011 I lost 110 lbs. in 2012 I got a new job that I absolutely hated. I gained back a lot of weight quickly. Then the job got better but by then I was already back in my bad habits full swing. I have gained almost every pound back. I have been trying for almost a year to get back into the groove. I am having a little bit of success but need more!. I have done this before and I can do it again. I am not ready to admit numbers, but welcome your support!

Reality is ****.

FeraFilia
06-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Sandi. :)

Kudos to you for getting back to it! Welcome to our little corner. I like it better than the "graduation" threads where you go from this "decade" to that, and don't really get support from the same people. This group fits my "support" needs and I will be happy to be a cheerleader, a butt-kicker, or a sympathizer as is necessary through the process. :)

jbf123
06-24-2014, 07:20 PM
I lost 50 pounds about 4 years ago and then went through a down sizing at work then on to nursing school. I just graduated and have gained all my weight back + 20 pounds so I am also looking for motivational support. I know how to do it is just getting back into a routine and getting my system cleaned out so the cravings go away.
We can do this:)

ubergirl
06-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Sandi!!! Happy to see you here! I've popped in a few times since my regain in early 2012, but now I'm hitting a groove. Don't worry about the numbers. You did it once, you can do it again!

jbf: Welcome! Congratulations on nursing school graduation! Sounds like a good time to buckle down.

Fera: You are doing awesome-- ten pounds in three weeks! 20 lbs down! You will see the twos soon!!!

FeraFilia
06-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks Uber! :D

I sat down and set up some mini goals that will require some type of "bigger" reward on my path down the scale. I'm pretty close to the first one (out of 300s)! The others are my previous low, onederland, and when my classification on the BMI scale changes.

I feel like I'm really ON IT right now, and I'm not even tempted a little bit to mess up. I am aware that likely won't last, but it feels good for now. Especially when I realized I was able to eat *one* PB M&M and walk away from the candy jar (that sits in our living room!!!)... and that I hadn't had one in like a week. Normally I'd sit and snack on them like chips, or *with* chips because I like salty+sweet.

Wrench in the works though. Mother nature says "no gym for you!" tonight because there's some thunderstorms and that means no walking the quarter-mile trip to the gym. SO, gotta improvise. Might just pace the floor in my apartment for a while. FitBit syncs to MFP... and I have negative calorie adjustments enabled. Meaning, when I'm super lazy, my calorie goal of 1740, can become 1620... being lazy takes my calories away, being active adds to them. I'm currently sitting at 131 lazy calories, instead of exercise calories. Ugh. I want my ice cream sammich. Better get walkin.

ubergirl
06-25-2014, 01:07 AM
I feel like I'm really ON IT right now, and I'm not even tempted a little bit to mess up. I am aware that likely won't last, but it feels good for now. Especially when I realized I was able to eat *one* PB M&M and walk away from the candy jar (that sits in our living room!!!)... and that I hadn't had one in like a week. Normally I'd sit and snack on them like chips, or *with* chips because I like salty+sweet.

I'm cruising too! :carrot::carrot: Tonight, I was serving potato chips with dinner. I really wanted them. So, I measure out a one oz serving, which was 150 calories. Then I thought to myself, no, I'd rather spend those calories on the nice olive oil vinaigrette that I made for the salad. So I poured the chips back in the back. Instead of eating a serving, I decided to put one piece in my mouth just to cut the craving. Guess what? It was stale anyway! Normally I would have eaten two or three servings stale or not. Instead, I ate the green salad with the vinaigrette.

LaurieDawn
06-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Sandi! It is so great to see you posting. I had actually thought about doing a search for both you and Jessica to see if you were still active, but hadn't gotten to it yet. You have always been a 3FC hero to me. Excited to have you here.

Uber - WTG on the potato chips. I know exactly how you feel. I am so fortunate to be in that stage with you and Mandy where nothing is really tempting. It helps that I've given myself permission to eat whatever I want during my "eating window," so I know that I can have it if I really want it. I just rarely end up really wanting it.

Mandy - So excited for you to hit the 200s. I LOVE those milestones. I am a big book reader too. I know this probably isn't something that you hadn't considered, but sometimes, on days when I can't get in my planned exercise, I will just do a quick Youtube exercise video or even just some body-weight strength training. Ice cream sandwiches can definitely be worth it!

jbf - I feel your pain. I had lost about 100 pounds, and law school killed it for me. Even though I had stints where I would get back on it, it was really hard to maintain in law school. Right now, I'm thinking about leaving my comfortable firm job and starting my own practice, and am worried about a repeat. But I keep telling myself that even though law school me didn't make it work, sole practitioner me has learned much from my younger self, and has the tools to make it work.

Getting used to the IF. Gonna start trying to get off work at a more reasonable time so that I can exercise earlier, and eat sooner. I actually ate a small bowl of cereal at 5:00 yesterday to avoid a repeat of the "didn't eat until 8:00," and that helped a little bit. But by the time I got out of the gym yesterday, it was 9:00 before I took in any substantial calories, so I am eating my calories in too concentrated of a time. I'll figure it out, though. For now, I am regulating my calories relatively painlessly, and can eat whatever my husband is eating.

Slashnl
06-25-2014, 11:27 AM
SANDI!!!! I'm so excited to see you posting! I've always enjoyed what you post and I'm happy to see you! I'm sorry about the regain, but boy can we all understand. You can do this again, and we'll be here to support you.

LaurieDawn: Oh, don't you love the tweak, tweak, tweak involved with all of our eating plans? Ha! You're doing great and you'll get it all figured out.

Uber: Good choice on the salad instead of chips. And, really, you were doing the right thing anyway with measuring it out. Awesome! But, still, good for you for going away from the chips to the salad. I'm impressed!

Mandy: You are so close to the 200's, I'm sure you're excited! And, only one m&m. Wow! That takes strength!

JBF: Welcome! We can all relate to the regain. I'm glad you are joining us! We're here for you!

As for me, I'm obsessing a little bit on the scale, and that's ok for right now. I only went up by .8 at the last weigh in, but it can't become a habit. Part of my obsession is that if I can get to 253, then I've lost the regained weight and I'll finally be working on "new" pounds. And, the other part of me really wants to get into the 240's, just to be on the low side of the 200's. I know, it is silly, but that's a goal. I was thinking of mini goals and they are all kind of close right now. The 253 is one goal. Then, 249.5 is what I have recorded as the lowest weight that I was at in 2005 (my record keeping is out of control). So, those are pretty immediate goals. Would love to be down to 244 because that would be 50 pounds off, but then the next goal is way far away. I'd like to get down to 212, which is what I weighed when we got married, 27 years ago. :) I'd be so excited.

ubergirl
06-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Diane: Perfectly ok to obsess over the scale. You are SO CLOSE to 253 and getting out of the "losing the regain" and into "real losing" will be such a good feeling. I am dying to get below 259. That is how much I weighed after my big regain. Since then, I've yo-yoed up and down from there but never gotten back down below. I'm also dying to get back down to 230. That's the point where I start fitting into smaller clothes and generally feeling like my loss is more noticeable. No worries about the tiny bump. You'll see 253 this week for sure and I expect dancing carrots for that!

LaurieDawn: glad the bigger dinners are working for you. I find that in general the less often I eat, the better.

I'm doing fine around here. I realize that it is time for me to start getting some exercise! So my goals right now are: complete second month on plan and incorporate exercise. Hoping to get back into the 260s soon.

FeraFilia
06-25-2014, 05:40 PM
I woke up this morning to the news that my kitty (the one in my pic) had to go back to the vet because there was some blood in her pee and she was straining over the litter box. She just had surgery for a never-ending infection and what they expected to be a stone (but wasn't) in her bladder.

My poor Boo... she has another infection. She just got all the hair back on her belly from after surgery and they shaved her again to do another ultrasound. They are keeping her overnight, because they want to consult with an internal specialist. They saw the same thing in the ultrasound that they saw before the surgery and thought it was a stone, but they don't know what it is. I'm a sad kitty mama. :(

ubergirl
06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Oh Fera (((((hugs)))) so sorry about your kitty. Nothing worse than an animal who is not feeling well. Hope she recovers soon.

LaurieDawn
06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Mandy - So sorry about your baby kitty. Hope she feels better, and that you can minimize your stress through this.

Uber - Look at you go. Those first few months are so very hard. I love that I am able to follow you through them, as you fearlessly beat the path to victory.

Diane - Scale obsession can be highly motivating. You are so close to so many of your goals. The scale can be finicky, as you know, but I am hoping that it cooperates and rewards you for all of your consistent, hard effort.

Sandi - Can't help but cheering once again for you rejoining the fight! We so got this!

I made the mistake of stepping on the scale. It had been extraordinarily kind to me last week, and I should have been suspicious. Instead, I just celebrated and moved on. This morning, I was up five pounds from Monday morning. I'm either going to decide to pack the scale away and totally ignore it -- cuz even though I know that I have done really well with exercise and food this week, it still makes me want to throw my hands up and say screw it -- or get a reliable scale and really use it. For today, the goal is to not let it mess with my head and to stay on plan. Yesterday was a lifting day, anyway, and water retention from sore muscles could account for a lot, though probably not FIVE FREAKING POUNDS.

Hope today is a success for everyone, however it's defined for you.

Slashnl
06-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Uber: Good job with adding in the exercise. And you are really close to going into the 260's! That's awesome.

Mandy: Sorry about the kitty. You feel so bad for them when they are sickly. I hope it turns out ok!

LaurieDawn: No way that the 5 pounds can be right, so you're smart to not let it get to you. It is so easy to let our mood be determined by the number on the scale. I know it is for me anyway! We just need to keep charging ahead!

Went to Body Pump today and increased my weight in a couple of areas. I'm probably going to be sore. I can feel it already, but I also know it was time to move up. I had the shakes on some of the lifts just from the extra weight, ha! So ready for this week to be done though!

FeraFilia
06-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks, ladies, for your kindness and concern.

It's tough. I have 2 cats, and love them both to death... but Brownie, she's my Boo! My husband hates that I call her that, and that she responds to it. Critters generally pick one human to bond with, and she's "my" cat, the other one, Pixie, is a daddy's girl. Brownie sleeps on my feet and climbs all over me. Pixie will only lay in his lap and not mine. It's weird how you get so used to something that might annoy other people. Every night after I get in my comfy spot, she jumps up on the bed and either lays along my leg with her back up against it, or curled up with her head on my ankle so I can feel her purring. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night because she wasn't there. Hoping to hear something soon, so we can go get her... and that they figure out what's causing these infections.

I feel like a lump. After skipping the gym last night, I gave in to a desire for some comfort food, and baked a corn dog (180 calories) and 2 breaded mozzarella cheese sticks (also 180 calories)... and ate them, along with an ice cream sandwich (150 calories) at almost midnight last night. They fit in my calories, but UGH trying to go to bed wasn't fun after that, guess that's why I didn't make it to bed until 6am. Hoping to flush out the resulting bloat from the sodium for a good weigh in tomorrow. Hoping for 308.4 so I can post a 2 pound loss for the week.

I'm sorry for all rambling. I'm exhausted and I tend to babble.

Have a good day y'all! :)

ubergirl
06-26-2014, 01:49 PM
LaurieDawn: Nothing worse than scale issues! Maybe you should consider investing in a new scale-- I am so neurotic that I absolutely have to have one that will weigh the same even if I step on it four times and move it around on the floor. No way that you bounced up 5 while on plan!

Diane: Good for you for taking on more weight! You rock!

So, I've realized that I'm tweaking my plan a bit. The last time I lost 110 lbs I was terrified of being hungry, and I was also terrified of bingeing. So, my plan focused on large volumes of low calorie foods and almost total avoidance of the kinds of things I tended to overeat. This meant a lot of lean protein and veggies, some fruit, and not much in the way of rice, pasta, or bread, no sweets or baked goods. I like lean protein and veggies, but it does get monotonous, and it really didn't address my fear of overeating the foods that I really love.

So, this time, I'm trying something different. I'm including pasta in my weekly meal plans because normally, when I'm not trying to avoid pasta, I make it once or twice a week. I'm making recipes that I LOVE. I'm counting up the calories per recipe, and sticking to a serving size. (I used to strictly avoid recipes with multiple ingredients because it's harder to count calories) For breakfast and lunch, I'm trying to keep it simple-- I don't cook those meals, and having a few go-to things seems simplest. Right now, I am going European and just having coffee with steamed milk for breakfast, I'll tweak if I get too hungry.

I'm trying to adopt the following habits:
1. no grazing
2. breakfast and lunch, simple, repetitive, and relatively low calorie.
3. prepare delicious dinners and control portion sizes.
4. Enjoy a restaurant meal once every 10 days or so, and be able to eat a few extra calories without having it ruin my overall progress.

Maybe THAT will be sustainable over the long haul.

FeraFilia
06-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Just talked to Brownie's vet because she heard from the internal specialist. Brownie's going to have surgery (again) tomorrow... This time so they can take some bladder tissue for biopsy. Doctor said, and I quote, "Cancer is low on my list of possibilities because she hasn't lost weight or her appetite and is so active, but unfortunately it is on my list."... They are going to send all the various test results from the last couple months along with the biopsy to the internal specialists to see if they can put the puzzle together and find out what's wrong with my Boo. We don't get to bring her home until Saturday. :(

She just had surgery six weeks ago... I don't like this. My kitty is not a science project.

LaurieDawn
06-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Mandy - So easy to do the comfort food when things are going badly. Great that you stayed in your calories regardless. Hope your kitty is doing better soon, and that you are able to get some rest and take care of yourself.

Uber - Definitely thinking about a scale. Maybe next payday. Maybe. Also really glad you're investigating other ways of eating. I have found that, too often, what worked "before" doesn't work now, but sometimes it's fun to find what works "now."

Diane - You're a rock star! I love heavy lifting, and I love it the most when women of all ages embrace it. You're only 50 now, but I can see you still cranking it out 20, 30, 40 years from now.

I ate stuff yesterday that I shouldn't have eaten. Stayed within my general calorie range, but it was a "twinkie diet" kind of a day where my calories were comprised of processed, nutrient-light foods. And I'm okay with that, for one day. Back to more selectively choosing my calories today. And I'm on day 2 of c25k, and I'm going to rock it. =)

ubergirl
06-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Laurie: How awesome that you are doing C25K! I find it very motivating. Bummer about the "bad calories" but if you stayed in your range that's the most important thing.

Fretting about the scale this morning. I'm just bouncing up and down at 271.2 271.4. I keep thinking I'm going to see a drop, but not yet. Official weigh in isn't until Tuesday. I'm being careful with my calories-- and nothing off plan. Going on vacation in early August, and I want to be fit enough to enjoy long walks.

Sandi
06-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone!! Happy to be back! Glad to see so many familiar faces (as well as new ones!)

I realized this week that my biggest problem really is sugar. I am a food addict, but what I really am is a sugar addict. When I get really on plan, I can walk past cookies and doughnuts, but they are also the 1 thing that sends me off plan. So even though some of that stuff fits in my plan sometimes, it's a no-go for me. I just have to find a way to become the person who just doesn't have the sweets no matter what. And I am wondering if the diet pop just isn't helping the situation either. Today I have to go the Candy store and buy gummies to make drunken gummies for the 4th of July. I won't be having the drunken gummies, don't even like them, but others do! The plan is gummies and that's it. i won't food porn you with what I would like to buy! I could have someone else go, but I work 5 mins away. Plus, I am going to have to live my life and learn to be around the stuff. I need to put my big girl panties on and make good choices!!!

Right now I am making it to the gym 3 times a week and weightlifting. Once with a trainer and twice on my own. Although I feel like this is enough for my program, my stamina still stinks. In 6 weeks we are taking a vacation and going to spend a few days in Chicago doing Michigan Avenue and the Museums. My husband indicated that he was worried about me being able to do all that walking, so I need to start working on that so I can be in better shape by August!

Now the admin stuff...this thread is way too long. Soon I will start a new thread. I will give it the same title, just add an 02 to the front. I will wait a few days so that everyone sees this and knows it's coming!!

Mandy - Sorry to hear about your kitty. I get just sick to my stomach when my dog is sick, so I feel for you. Poor baby!!

jbf - welcome!! How is it going?

Uber - I did not realize our previous stats were so close. I also lost 110 and got to 259 before I lost my freaking mind and gained it all back! I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. I find that I am just a grazer and that instead of fighting it, I just make it fit! I also include "normal" family dinners in my plan, i just tweak them so fit.

Diane- Good luck getting into new lbs lost! That would be so awesome. I think we are all a little scale obsessed. I am a daily weigh-er while I let the good days carry me, I try and be logical on the bad days (knowing that I did what I was supposed to and the gain wasn't because of me!)

Laurie - Thanks! 3FC has always felt like home!! Like I said to Diane, if you did the work, let the guilt go. Our bodies don't always make sense. Do you think you need a new scale? BTW, I am always up after I lift!

Ok, now that my novel is written, back to work!!!

Slashnl
06-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Uber: I so understand the fretting on the scale. I'm still holding on to 254.4 and I really wanted to hit 253. The good thing is that we are going to go fishing this weekend, out of town, so I'm not going to weigh myself now until the official day, Monday. I'm going to be mindful over the weekend, and still record calories, but not going to get on the scale.

LaurieDawn: Good job on the C25K. I've heard such great things about it, but I've never really dug into what all you do! Keep us posted on the progress. And it sounds good that you're not dwelling on calorie choice yesterday. It's done, and now you can move on. Some days are just like that!

Mandy: Hoping for the best for you and the kitty! Hang in there!

Sandi: Sounds like a good idea to start a new thread. I hadn't noticed that it was getting so long. I'll be watching for it. Good luck with going to the candy store!! I am not a gummy bear person, but it would be tough to walk past the chocolate. Normally candy isn't the biggest temptation I have, but I do like sweets, too. Cake, cookies, donuts... it is hard to avoid them.

Glad it is Friday! I'm ready to get away this weekend if just for a little bit. I'm hoping for a good weigh in on Monday. I need to look for a heart rate monitor. They are changing one of the Spin classes that I like to something called MOI, meaning "Mind Over Intensity". It is based on getting your heart rate to different levels throughout the class. You use the resistance and different riding styles to get it higher or lower. They are going to have heart monitors there, but I don't really want to use a strap around my body that was worn by someone else who probably got really sweaty. Yuck. So, since the class sounds pretty cool, I think I'll get one.

Have a good weekend everyone!

FeraFilia
06-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Kitty update -

Brownie's out of surgery and waking up. She's staying over night because she needs the fluids... But we get to bring her home tomorrow morning. YAY!

Medical stuff: They went into the bladder and actually found a stone this time, and the doctor said that was good, because it makes many of the other more unpleasant possibilities much less likely. There was also a significant accumulation of crystallized urine in her bladder that needed to be flushed out again. Because of the stone and the 'sludge' in her bladder, she will need to be on a prescription diet for the foreseeable future, possibly the rest of her life.... the analysis of the stone will help them figure out which diet she needs to be on.

Stress about this and my hubby being out of town today... yeah, I kinda forgot to weigh in this morning until after I drank a bunch of water. Oops.

I did go to the gym last night and walked on the treadmill for a bit. For some reason we always end up watching food network in the gym. Seems a bit like torture, but we do love to watch Chopped and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

ubergirl
06-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Uber - I did not realize our previous stats were so close. I also lost 110 and got to 259 before I lost my freaking mind and gained it all back! I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. I find that I am just a grazer and that instead of fighting it, I just make it fit! I also include "normal" family dinners in my plan, i just tweak them so fit.

Losing 110 lbs is a big achievement and I'm still proud of it, even if I didn't maintain it and have to do part of it again. And when you say "I lost my freaking mind..." well, that is exactly how I feel. I'm still so surprised that it happened to me. I really thought I had the hang of maintenance. I really get what you mean about being a sugar freak-- that's my bugaboo too. The last time on plan I chewed a lot of Stride sweet peppermint gum. It satisfied my candy craving. But, I also wonder whether it might not be better for me to learn to live without satisfying that craving. A long time ago, I developed a very bad habit that having my arm elbow deep into a big bag of candy and eating it all was a good way to soothe my nerves. I think maybe chewing sweet peppermint gum is sort of like a heroin addict using methadone-- I'm substituting a less harmful practice for a more helpful one. Right now, I'm very relaxed and blissfully free of cravings for candy or gum. Wish it could always be like that.

Slashnl
06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Uber! Your post reminded me of something. I first heard this song in a spin class and it really hit home with me. It is by "Rudimental" (had never heard of them before) and it is called "Not giving In". It is on YouTube, but the video is icky. I didn't think the video fit the song at all, so if you go to listen to it, I recommend not watching the video too closely. I hated it. Anyway, here are the lyrics that I think fit for all of us:

Well, it's time to start the show,
Lost my heart and lost my soul.
Now it's the time that you won't know,
Lost my mind and lost my goal.

Mm, not giving in.
I'm not giving in,
Not giving in,
Ooh I'm not giving in, yeah.

This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in,
This time, I'm gonna be stronger, no, I'm not giving in.

Slashnl
06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
And, Mandy... I'm so happy for you and your cat!

FeraFilia
06-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Ugh. Well. I had a nice long post complete with personals and went to fix a typo before posting and it disappeared.

SO, to summarize... Hi everyone! I am out of my poor-kitty mood since she's home and seems to be doing well. My weigh in was 308.4, down 1.2 from Tuesday, and an even 2 from last Friday, bringing me to 10.6 for the month, and 22.2 overall. *Almost* out of the 300s. WOO!

I've got a little water retention going on (my fingers are swollen) so I assume that will go down a little bit more in the near future.

I also use sugar free gum when I've already had my sweet treat for the day and feel like I'm going to murder my husband if he steps between me and the candy dish (which he's taken to doing when I reach for a candy).... I keep Hershey's nuggets - the almond and toffee kind - in the freezer, so it has to thaw out a little before I eat it, which gives me a chance to decide if I actually want to spend my 50 calories on that small bite of chocolate, or if I want to eat something more substantial, like a whole peach, for a similar number of calories. (Yeah, 136g peach = 53 calories - that's a lot more volume than the piece of candy... and with a splenda packet, just as satisfying to the sweet tooth).

Diane, I have a "song" too... Keeps me moving forward. It's a country song, and a lot of the lyrics kind of resonate with my situation, especially my need to forgive myself for going backwards, and continue to move forward. Not 100% dead on, but it works for me. It's "No More Looking Over My Shoulder" by Travis Tritt. It was never a radio single, but it's the title track of one of his older albums.

Lyrics:

Seems like every choice I made would somehow leave me second-guessing
'Bout the green grass I was passing racing toward the other side
I thank God, for the blessing that I finally learned this lesson
One step in the right direction's worth a wasted mile behind

Oh, but one night, sick and tired of being sick and tired
I realized forgiveness was the only open road
I swear I heard those shackles snap the moment that I took that path
I never have one time looked back since the morning I arose

I hope you all have a wonderful day! :D

FeraFilia
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Ladies, if you are doing everything right and hit a stall... READ THIS. It's awesome, and makes a lot of sense and totally explains what's happening:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Yes, it's called "Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat" :D

ubergirl
06-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Good morning everyone:

Mandy: so glad that your kitty is feeling better! And I love your link. You are too funny watching Food Network! I try to stay as far away from it as possible!

Diane: Thanks for the song! I love it! And you're right. I'm a huge proponent of never giving up. Most of what I've achieved in my life has come from this same attitude-- so why can't it work here?

So happy dance for me this morning. Unofficial weigh in, but I'm FINALLy down 2 which gets me back into the 260s! I'm pushing for 260 as a first mini-goal. Meanwhile, I'm starting to notice some improvement in my clothes. I have a nice pair of khaki capris, non-stretch, size 22. They were very tight-- almost too tight to wear-- at my higher weight. Now, they're comfy.

FeraFilia
06-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Uber - I have a pair of black cargo shorts that I wore 2 summers ago that I'm looking forward to being able to wear again before the summer is out. ALMOST.