Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/201/145

Height: 5'9

Default IP Friendly Potluck Recipes?

Hello!

We're having a potluck at my job for one of my friends that is leaving and I would like to be able to bring a dish. Does anyone have an idea for something IP friendly that can feed a group of 20 or so and won't break the bank?
Sashadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

How about Big Mac in a Bowl?
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #3  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashadee View Post
Hello!

We're having a potluck at my job for one of my friends that is leaving and I would like to be able to bring a dish. Does anyone have an idea for something IP friendly that can feed a group of 20 or so and won't break the bank?
Not really original - but I do a veggie tray. King Soopers (part of Kroger stores) has ready made ones in the produce section, but at Thanksgiving I ordered one from the deli - it was about $27. You could also do a large salad. My co workers know my diet and know that I will most likely bring veggies. One of my other co workers cooked a turkey and cut it up and brought it in.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I do the veggies spiral dish for holidays. I put sautéed mushrooms on the bottom instead of onions, slice the veggies with my mandolin and lay in spiral. I think this recipe uses potatoes but I used turnips! The turnips take longer than anything else so I put them in a pan first to soften. Pour a little bit of low sodium broth and season to your taste. The recipe calls for cheese on top (pictured) but I omit that. I've attached the pic from my Pinterest board! I used this recipe for thanksgiving and Christmas and everyone was thankful for a clean side veggie that wasn't creamed. Plus it makes a great presentation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.1 KB, 53 views)
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I have made sweet and spicy roasted rutabagas for group meals. I took this to both Thanksgiving and Christmas as a potato/sweet potato alternative and every person had a serving and many had seconds!

Cut into small cubes and toss with EVOO and spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, cinnamon and Splenda. I have also added curry powder.) Roast until tender. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on them once they start browning.

(I kept the cayenne on the lighter side for a group, though when I make it for home I use a bit more because we like spice-heat!)

I have also taken a cauliflower mash to sub for mashed potatoes and again, it was gone by the end of the night!

Last edited by JLUS; 01-16-2014 at 09:39 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #6  

I always bring a huge veggie tray. When I chop them myself, it is much less expensive than buying pre-cut from deli.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems70508 View Post
I do the veggies spiral dish for holidays. I put sautéed mushrooms on the bottom instead of onions, slice the veggies with my mandolin and lay in spiral. I think this recipe uses potatoes but I used turnips! The turnips take longer than anything else so I put them in a pan first to soften. Pour a little bit of low sodium broth and season to your taste. The recipe calls for cheese on top (pictured) but I omit that. I've attached the pic from my Pinterest board! I used this recipe for thanksgiving and Christmas and everyone was thankful for a clean side veggie that wasn't creamed. Plus it makes a great presentation!
Someone has already committed to a veggie tray so that is out but this looks delish!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I have made sweet and spicy roasted rutabagas for group meals. I took this to both Thanksgiving and Christmas as a potato/sweet potato alternative and every person had a serving and many had seconds!

Cut into small cubes and toss with EVOO and spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, cinnamon and Splenda. I have also added curry powder.) Roast until tender. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on them once they start browning.

(I kept the cayenne on the lighter side for a group, though when I make it for home I use a bit more because we like spice-heat!)

I have also taken a cauliflower mash to sub for mashed potatoes and again, it was gone by the end of the night!
I've never had or cooked a rutabaga so I may test this recipe out this weekend to make sure I'm doing it right before feeding it to my coworkers
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashadee View Post
I've never had or cooked a rutabaga so I may test this recipe out this weekend to make sure I'm doing it right before feeding it to my coworkers
FYI - they are often sold as "wax turnips" and look a little intimidating. They are literally covered in a waxy skin. Just peel with a vegetable peeler. They are pretty hard so use a good knife when slicing and curbing!

Just be sure they get cooked until soft- they take longer than potatoes. I do a similar spicing ( minus cinnamon and Splenda) if I am making rutabaga fries. But I love the spice/sweet combo with the roasted cubes.

OK, now I am hungry. Will have to make these with my pork chops this weekend!

Last edited by JLUS; 01-16-2014 at 11:41 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/199/150

Height: 5'8

What about deviled eggs with the WF mayo? My coworker has brought this to potlucks many times. It's not really a main dish if that's what you're looking for. But always a hit!
SarahJ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJ86 View Post
What about deviled eggs with the WF mayo? My coworker has brought this to potlucks many times. It's not really a main dish if that's what you're looking for. But always a hit!
Perfect! I think I'll make deviled eggs and the baked veggies
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

I did a green bean/red pepper dish at Christmas that was a big hit and you could make lots of it.

Take a couple bags of frozen French-cut style green beans, sliced red peppers and put them on a baking sheet. Toss with EVOO, some garlic salt/powder, sea salt and a bit of ginger. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 375 turning occasionally so they cook evenly.

I made them ahead of time and warmed them up in the microwave.

Jo
PurpleMomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #13  
IP started 12/17/2013

S/C/G: 195/163/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Turkey meatballs with green enchilada sauce

I've taken turkey meatballs in a crockpot with green enchilada sauce to a potluck.
I let most of the sauce drip off my serving but the enchilada sauce didn't have added sugar so it wasn't too bad.
And for those that weren't on IP, I had sour cream on the side.
ssubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #14  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMomster View Post
I did a green bean/red pepper dish at Christmas that was a big hit and you could make lots of it.

Take a couple bags of frozen French-cut style green beans, sliced red peppers and put them on a baking sheet. Toss with EVOO, some garlic salt/powder, sea salt and a bit of ginger. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 375 turning occasionally so they cook evenly.

I made them ahead of time and warmed them up in the microwave.

Jo
Oh, that sounds yummy! I love all these ideas. I made deviled eggs a long time ago but haven't made any lately. All these ideas are making me hungry and wanting to get in the kitchen and cook!

I made a pulled pork recipe that is IP friendly. You can make a lot and serve it alone or with buns on the side. I usually have mine mixed with sauteed cabbage (sauteed in grapeseed oil with a little red pepper flakes sprinkled in). We eat it mixed together and it is so good with some WF BBQ sauce drizzled on top. I think it would be easy to keep warm or warm up prior to serving.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #15  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

This is great - we have a family party coming up on February and I'll still be on program.

I was thinking of making ratatouille, replacing shallots for the onions. I also have the Moosewood vegetarian cookbooks I was going to go thru for ideas.

I made the rutabaga puff for Thanksgiving - it got a fairly warm reception, not too many people at it. I made roasted cauliflower for Christmas.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote