Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat January 13 - January 19

BillBlueEyes
01-13-2014, 05:28 AM
My goal this week is to continue to stick to my eating plan for snacks. I had fallen into that trap that 'healthy' foods were OK - in whatever handful size that I grabbed them. Guess what? A handful of nuts contains a zillion calories sitting underneath all its wonderful nutrition-ness.

Out walking yesterday in weather around 50 F was a joy after the Polar Vortex freezing air of last week. It was warm enough to think spring - a dangerous notion when the whole of February looms.

Mudpie
01-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Glad you're having warmer weather Bill. We will continue with above freezing and rain this afternoon so I'm hoping a lot of the frozen gunk I'm sliding around on (on foot and in my car) melts before we go back to flurries.

We saw a small theatre production of "Little Shop of Horrors" yesterday afternoon. It was a nice break from the drabness and reality of life. And :woohoo: slow cooker - dinner was ready and waiting when we got home around 7 p.m.

This is going to be a tough week. Bad weather, icy conditions, and dinner walks every day will leave my exhausted, cranky, and wanting to snack in the evening. I thought DH would be available to make dinner this week but turns out he's not. We'll have to eat a bunch of burgers, soup and sandwich etc. meals. We do have some healthier choices in those we make ourselves.

It's going to be a long haul and I might not be around much online. I think I'll go to bed whenever the evening crash happens. :faint:

I'm not going to do any weights this week - just stretching and yoga every morning to try to stay limber enough to take the falls on the ice without much more than bruises (I have had 3 near falls already and just about had the back of my car smashed in by a cab out of control :yikes: on an icy hill yesterday)

Dagmar wishing for :beach:

silverbirch
01-13-2014, 06:54 AM
A handful of nuts contains a zillion calories sitting underneath all its wonderful nutrition-ness.

Interesting fact that, Bill. I must bear it in mind. :o

Dagmar, you crash out as soon as you can! Sending you good safety vibes this week.

Fairly dull here although I've just glanced out and seen a buzzard (Buteo buteo) being shadowed by a gull of some kind (probably black-headed - Chroicocephalus ridibundus). I've been to the gymn and I feel all achy. I should massage my feet.

ICUwishing
01-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Dagmar, good luck with the week - I will be thinking about you slipping around. Definitely use whatever free time you get to rest and recuperate.

Bill, stay strong on the snacks! Take some comfort in recent articles that discuss how nut eaters are generally thinner than non-nut eaters. ;)

Silverbirch, as long as the buzzard is not circling directly overhead ...

We're enjoying some above-freezing temps too. Today might make it to 45F. Certain roads and driveways (mine) are crazy skating rinks still, but the commute path has straightened out, thankfully.

DH shut off the leaky shower yesterday and we pulled everything out. The wetness was widespread and almost the entire area of the shower pan. I think the subfloor might be okay as most of the dampness was in the drywall compound on top, and two pieces of OSB. I was afraid the valve itself had been leaking down the walll; I was really glad to be wrong about that!

DH is leaving town for the work week and DS will be studying for midterms. I haven't worked out exactly how I'm going to deal with the week's meals; thank goodness DS is extremely flexible. He's a teenage boy - he will eat anything if he's hungry enough, which is, constantly. :D

traveling michele
01-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm with you on the snacks Bill. I'm going to try to snack more on veggies and less on fruit.

Dagmar-- that is super scary! Stay safe out there.

My dd left yesterday so I'm back to an empty house. I'm hoping to focus more on my eating and exercise as I don't have to feel guilty or that I'm inconveniencing anybody by my schedule.

alinnell
01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
I had a great menu for the week planned but ended up with too many leftovers from last night's meal so we'll be eating those instead. Thankfully the stuff I bought freezes well. Salad plays an important role this week.

We golfed both days this weekend and although I didn't do well it felt great to get out and enjoy our weather.

No movies this weekend as DH wanted to watch football. DD came home yesterday and collected her cats (yay!!!). Her fiance didn't come with as he is recuperating from the flu (DD had it over Christmas and now he has it). DD has another week of break before school starts again. She said she got quite stressed last quarter but feels confident she knows what she did wrong and won't repeat it this quarter.

My sister is still in the hospital. She says she's stuck there. It was confirmed she had H1N1 flu and they won't let her leave because they don't understand why her lungs keep filling with fluid. She's had them drained at least once and they keep doing tests to see what's wronge, but no answers are coming from it.

Chico continues to do well although feeding him is still a challenge at times. I think I've figured out that beef causes him to get gas so we'll stick with chicken. He loves chicken. But the new kibble that I got him isn't going over well. Some days he'll eat some and others he'll take it from my hand, act as though he's eating it, and then spit it out.

saef
01-13-2014, 11:12 AM
I still feel physically impaired by yesterday's work in the gym, which was my first-ever Leg Day, and also by one of those traffic jams that extends my commute to nearly an hour-and-a-half, just to go about 30 miles. I'm in the office, trying to relax my shoulders and breathe, since there is brilliant sunlight bouncing around inside my chilly white-walled office. The temperatures are supposed to hit the low 50s today. This thaw should make me happier. Instead all I can think about is getting through a big writing assignment, getting someone's year-end review done, and then maybe tonight, relaxing in neck-deep tub water with a Lush bath bomb fizzing between my feet.

Please help me realize that scenario as soon & painlessly as possible.

Shannon in ATL
01-13-2014, 12:16 PM
You guys have heard me talk for years about DSS and his various issues, and you know that more than once we had worries that he would get expelled and never finish a school assignment or get along with anyone. Well, this morning we went to an awards ceremony, where he received a Blue Excellent Eagle award. This is a conduct award, meaning that he only got 1-3 checks in his agenda for this nine weeks. (They get checks for everything - not finishing homework, talking in the hall, not following directions, disrespect, any other kind of conduct issue.) It was pretty fabulous. Sadly, he didn't seem to be having a good morning this morning, so was pretty subdued, but we had a great weekend and he knows how proud we are of him. We might be okay after all. :)

alinnell
01-13-2014, 01:12 PM
That is good news, Shannon!

traveling michele
01-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Cause to celebrate Shannon. That is wonderful. Hopefully he'll be cheered up by his accomplishment.

silverbirch
01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Oh, I'm delighted! He's a great boy! Blue Excellent Eagle? Fabulous.

CherryPie99
01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
My goal this week is to continue to stick to my eating plan for snacks. I had fallen into that trap that 'healthy' foods were OK - in whatever handful size that I grabbed them. Guess what? A handful of nuts contains a zillion calories sitting underneath all its wonderful nutrition-ness.

Say it ain't SO!! That's been my issue lately - snacking on GOOD things, but they add up!!

So yesterday I forced myself on the treadmill with my promise to myself that I would then relax and watch football the rest of the day. I made it 10 miles, almost quit, and then did 3 more!

Feeling all proud of myself I went upstairs and took a shower and then DH and I started to make lunch. At which point our microwave exploded. So we had to make a trip into our nearest town and finally found a microwave that was suitable at our 3rd store.

I was annoyed and angry about spending $160 I didn't intend to spend AND that I missed 1/2 of the NFC game.

We get home and DH wonders why it is getting cold in the house. Our furnace was not working. After a moment of panic, we realize we are out of fuel (we are on automatic delivery so it was the fuel company's fault) - whew!

I called for a refill. He says he will be right out. 3 hours later we are just about to sit down to dinner and he arrives. Fills up the tank but has to re-prime the stupid thing. He throws the reset switch and a HUGE spark flies out and everything crumbles.

Well, he can't fix that, so we'll have to call the technician. Now I am STARVING and pissed. I call the technician. He calls me back over an HOUR later and he is 45 minutes away.

Finally at about 9:45 PM he arrives and wants to bill us the $145 weekend service call plus another $150 for parts and labor (he literally replaced the switch and fixed everything in 15 minutes). OH HE!! NO I tell him.

So he is going to bill "division" - I expect a fight coming up as soon as they receive that bill. Quite an end to what was an unbelievably crappy week.

This week has to be better, right?

ICUwishing
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Oh, Jen. Jeez. Yeah, it has to get better from there! :eek:!

Shannon - congrats! That sounds like a big milestone. Hopefully he really enjoyed the positive attention and filed that away!

saef, I hope the bath is everything you need it to be. :)

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 05:32 AM
DH has reminded me we have to have a sense of humour about this house. He cut open the wall last night and we could see just what a hack job :mad: the contractor did with the bathroom. He had problems installing the tub. So instead of calling us and explaining things he just hacked away stuff :eek: and did a totally improper install. We have no alternate bathroom (or replacement money or place to eventually put one) so we are stuck with this.

It's not the plumbing that's leaking (though there is an issue with it) - it's the grout/caulking beside the tub. So DH now has to remove all that the hack put in and replace it with new grout and a bead of proper silicone caulking. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

So as a temporary measure DH tried to seal the seam with duct tape. Still leaked. I went to bed, repair dollar signs floating in front of my eyes. I got up this morning to find plastic garbage bags duct-taped to the shower enclosure wall. And a note over them

"Red Green was here"

Dagmar :lol:

BillBlueEyes
01-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Congrats, Shannon, on your DSS's good week - I'm so happy to hear that.

Dagmar, I've lived for a spell in a bathroom with duct taped plastic over a gaping problem - shudder at the memory. Good luck with your DH's redo efforts.

paperclippy
01-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Good morning! Exhausted morning here, the girls had a rough weekend (possibly precipitated by me eating a little bit of cheese Thursday night to test whether they'll tolerate dairy -- apparently they won't). Up all night two nights in a row, and they were a mess for poor DH yesterday. He took them to the doctor to get them checked out for ear infections (they're fine) and get their reflux medicine adjusted and they had a massive stranger danger attack and basically cried at all the nurses and doctor even with DH holding both of them the whole time. Sigh. On the one hand, I don't want them to be scared of people, but on the other hand it's kind of cute and reassuring to see that they know their mommy and daddy and prefer us to other people. They're also dealing with some changes in their diapers due to eating more solids :o which is making them uncomfortable. DH fed them a bunch of prunes yesterday to help out. :lol:

Dagmar, was this a contractor that you hired? You should be able to call them up and make them fix it if they did it wrong. Also re: the water in the basement, do you have a sump pump?

Jen, glad you finally got the furnace working again at least!

Shannon, great job for your DSS!

Saef, did you get to take your bath and relax? I love those Lush bath bombs.

DH is a member of a stay-at-home dads facebook group and a new guy introduced himself on there yesterday -- a dad of 16-month-old quadruplets! I can't even imagine.

BillBlueEyes
01-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Thought some folks might enjoy google image's of silverbirch's Buzzard (Buteo buteo) (https://www.google.com/search?q=buteo+buteo&rlz=1C1RNBN_enUS459US459&espv=210&es_sm=122&biw=1280&bih=619&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8DnVUtfbEI_joASSuID4Dw&ved=0CCsQsAQ). It looks a lot like the Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicenis) (https://www.google.com/search?q=Red-tailed+Hawk&rlz=1C1RNBN_enUS459US459&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ETzVUu2jH8eEogTh8oDADQ&ved=0CJ4BEIke) in the U.S..

In the U. S. we use 'buzzard' as short for the Turkey Vulture (https://www.google.com/search?q=turkey+vulture&rlz=1C1RNBN_enUS459US459&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3DrVUp79KM_2oATH-YKYCQ&ved=0CJYBEIke) that dines on carrion and is always represented in cartoons as circling folks in a desert who are about to die.

[/David Attenborough]

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 09:01 AM
David, yes, those are my neighbours. When one's on a telegraph pole or fence post I always admire its Fair Isle jumper (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fair+isle+jumper&client=firefox-a&hs=R85&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=akLVUo2RCZGI7AaIqIDQCw&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=905&bih=527).

A favourite food of the buzzard: afterbirth. It's coming into lambing season now so things should be fine. I'll be safe for a bit.

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
A favourite food of the buzzard: afterbirth. It's coming into lambing season now so things should be fine. I'll be safe for a bit.

:rofl:

Dagmar :rain:

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Jessica-- oh my! Are any of the dads local in the Facebook group? Stranger fear is quite normal. Hope the girls feel better now. My younger dd could never ever drink milk-- still can't. We had some nasty experiences-- one in a California Pizza Kitchen so we'll never go back there-- until we figured it out.

Dagmar-- I agree-- the contractor should definitely come back to fix his mess. You can file a complaint (at least in the US) with the BBB if they don't handle it well. Yelp, etc. are other places to voice your displeasure if necessary.

alinnell
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
one in a California Pizza Kitchen so we'll never go back there

DH and I have had THREE problems at different CPK restaurants (all severe stomach pains the evening and day after eating there). And those are the only three times we've been there. Once, even my sister and her DH got the same thing as us. Never enough to throw up but it was pretty uncomfortable for all of us. We'll never, ever go back there (or even buy their frozen stuff).

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Looking for your opinions even though I think I know what you'll say already.

I just joined a new meet up group (book club). They are having a get together (non book related) this Saturday night at a Mexican restaurant. I already know that my schedule doesn't permit me to go to the next book club meeting in February. I'm debating whether or not to go to this.....

Pros and cons:
Cons--
I'm super shy and have trouble meeting new people.
I don't drink so I won't get loosened up plus I might look weird.
I don't like driving on the freeway at night.
I will want to order healthy which will be a challenge.
It's late at night (for me anyway) which may make me very tired Sunday and throw off my exercise.

Pros--
I really need to get out and meet new people/ make friends.
I am pretty lonely with dh gone so much and my girls gone.

???

alinnell
01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Go, Michele. You need it.

You know when I joined the Wine Women group? I went first with a friend who had invited me and had a good time and recognized that I'd be able to meet more people. I joined. Now my MIL has joined as well (although she and FIL only attend a few months of the year). DH and I go to almost all of them and Kathleen, the person who organizes everything mixes people up so you rarely sit with the same group--unless you've hit it off then she'll sit you together at least once more.

Anyway, I've met some wonderful people--several of whom I call friends. We even get together outside of these events to do other things. I'm glad I did it regardless of how hard it is for me to do because I'm shy as well.

CherryPie99
01-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Looking for your opinions even though I think I know what you'll say already.

I just joined a new meet up group (book club). They are having a get together (non book related) this Saturday night at a Mexican restaurant. I already know that my schedule doesn't permit me to go to the next book club meeting in February. I'm debating whether or not to go to this.....

Pros and cons:
Cons--
It's late at night (for me anyway) which may make me very tired Sunday and throw off my exercise.

Pros--

???

Tis a new year and time to try new things!! Get your butt out the door and meet with them!!

I found this on healthy choices at Mexican restaurants http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm

No need to be shy - you have a brilliant and funny personality from what I can see here - you just need to translate it to real life situations! You won't be the only one there who feels a bit awkward at first!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

jen

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Give it a go. If it's really terrible you don't have to go again. :hug: But you might like it!

BillBlueEyes
01-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Michele - I join the chorus; Go for it!!!

You've invested energy to join the group.
You'll be ahead of the curve meeting folks at the first book club meet after this early introduction - even if only an OK get together.
There are solutions for eating Mexican. The first rule is to count (as in 1, 2,3 ...) the initial serving of chips. After that, it's just about making a sane entree choice.
You deserve it!

Have a blast. Or at least a OK good time.

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
I knew y'all would say that. Okay-- I RSVP'd before I'd chicken out. Feeling anxious just thinking about it.

I'll read your suggestions for Mexican Jen-- thanks! What I usually do at Mexican restaurants is have a dinner salad with salsa instead of dressing and chicken tortilla soup. I'll check the menu and see what my options are. I never touch the chips-- too hard to stop.

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Jessica I did hire a contractor whose name was given to me by another dogwalker. I had seen (and used) the bathroom he installed for her and it looked fine.

Unfortunately I agreed to pay him cash - at his suggestion - to avoid paying 13% tax on the job (which would have been several thousand dollars). I have no record of his doing the work as he suggested I pick up and pay for all of the fixtures and tiles.

I think he totally conned me, knowing this was the first time I'd hired anyone to do a reno (me and my big mouth told him that) and making sure I had no recourse to get anything he did wrong fixed.

It is going to be an expensive lesson. I seem to learn best that way but it still hurts all the same.

I am probably going to post pics of the hole DH had to cut in the wall, the garbage bags and duct tape waterproofing the tub enclosure, and the mess that is our living room ceiling on Facebook. I will make some glib comment. I will also send same to him.

Oh and he was also very careful to not give me any ammunition vie emails or phone messages.

Dagmar :o (live and learn)

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Testing to see if I can post in a bigger font from my phone.

JayEll
01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Doesn't look bigger from here, Silverbirch. By the way, is a "jumper" the British word for "sweater"? I've been reading a lot of P. D. James, and now you used it.

Dagmar, we have notoriously bad "contractors" in Florida. I had one walk off the job--fortunately he had finished most of what we wanted, but I was still out some money. Oh--and his "helper" used my bathroom and stole meds! I couldn't prove it, though.

Here is what I've learned:

- What you want is a Licensed, Insured and/or Bonded person doing the work. That is, a REAL plumber, not just a guy with a wrench. A REAL electrician. That doesn't mean you can't be conned--lots of lousy folks out there even with licenses.

- Ask to SEE proof of the license and the insurance. Ask the contractor for references of jobs he has done.

- Never let your neighbor work on your house because he does "a lot of work for other folks." No matter how inexpensive! If someone is injured while working on your house, you could be liable. And they may not know sh!t about how to do the job.

- Never pay in cash. Never pay in advance. Always get an estimate in advance in writing that includes a maximum. Always get receipts in writing.

- Get references from the contractor. Don't rely on someone telling you about what a good guy someone is. They may just like to get cheap work done and don't know what's good and what isn't.

- For that matter, maybe you don't want to let DH work on your house. Otherwise you could be facing plastic bags for a long time.

Do you have Angie's List in Canada, or its equivalent?

Michele, I don't drink either, and I don't think I look weird to anyone. Most people don't worry about what you're drinking. I hope you go and have a nice time.

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Michele We have some real "party animals" in the new neighbourhood and I don't drink. I take a glass of wine or a beer in hand and walk around with it. if someone asks whether I want a refill I politely decline and say I still have lots. Most people are busy with their own drinks and don't know that I'm not drinking. Another alternative is to grab a glass of pop and ice - most people will assume you're drinking something mixed with alcohol.

Jayell thanks for the tips. I'm new to this hiring contractors stuff but I should have known better. I had my "little voice" tell me this guy and the deal were bad news but my ego made me go ahead. DH and I had a real fight about redoing the bathroom, which is why he let me take my lumps for it. I don't think he realized how bad the job would be or he would have stepped in. As for DH doing the work he only does what he knows - he was working for contractors for years before he took up bookkeeping and accounting. His strengths are drywall and painting prep and painting. For the rest - plumbing, electrical, etc. - he hires guys he knows are licensed and good at what they do. We have had great electrical work, great HVAC, and beautiful hardwood and tiled floors done with no problems. The bathroom was the only thing that got messed up.

Dagmar :dizzy:

paperclippy
01-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Michele, I don't know if any of the dads on the group are local. Our twins club has a couple other SAHD's though so hopefully once the girls are a little older he can get together with them. We've scheduled the girls' first play date for this Saturday(!). Hopefully it goes okay. My coworker & his wife who have a little girl are coming over -- their girl is 14 months I think so quite a bit ahead of mine but we'll see what happens. If all goes well we may schedule another one with my other coworker who has a 4 month old boy.

Re: CPK, I have been there a million times and never had a problem. :shrug: Love it.

Bill, thank you for the explanation about buzzards! I admit when Silver said "buzzard" I did picture a turkey vulture. We have a lot of red-tailed hawks around here.

Jay, yes, "jumper" is the British word for "sweater." (Silver, in case you didn't know, a "jumper" as an article of clothing in the US means one of these (http://www.mommysavers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BT-Kids-Girls-Black-Corduroy-Jumper-Amazon-Clothing-Deals.jpg) -- the dress part.)

silverbirch
01-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Jay, yes, "jumper" is the British word for "sweater." (Silver, in case you didn't know, a "jumper" as an article of clothing in the US means one of these (http://www.mommysavers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BT-Kids-Girls-Black-Corduroy-Jumper-Amazon-Clothing-Deals.jpg) -- the dress part.)

JayEll - yes, as Jessica says. Some people also call it a 'jersey', probably from the woollen seafarers tops knitted on Jersey, one of the Channel Islands. (I think all the CI have their own patterns: Guernsey etc).

P D James. Interesting. I don't think I've read any of her books. She was a senior civil servant for years and then made a life peer by Thatcher (who enjoyed her books). Still going strong at 90-odd.

Jessica, thanks. And that's what I'd call a pinafore dress. A very useful item of clothing for small girls (and others too)! I'm holding my breath now to see what 'pinafore dress' means in American!

Still working (but not full-time and that's probably what's required) on how to make the font bigger from my phone. It's a BlackBerry Q10 (hand-me-down) and very annoying in oh so many ways. But it has a keyboard and I want that. I hope that a phone manufacturer realises soon that this is a unique selling point and gets on and makes a good one.

Michele, I don't drink and no-one seems to turn a hair. Well done on RSVPing.

traveling michele
01-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm not too worried about not drinking but I just know I'd be much less shy if I had a drink or two. However, it doesn't agree with me whatsoever so I'm better off not. So, I'll have to wow them with my awesome personality (ha ha).

Dh emailed me with an unexpected expensive cost we have to pay. I'm stewing about it but nothing I can do. Since dh makes the vast bulk of our income, I can't really complain. We have yet to hear back on any costs involved in dd's minor fender bender (it was filed with insurance but maybe the guy decided not to repair??), so it may all come out even.

Same dd starts her new semester today. She had a bad semester grade wise last semester and has promised to turn it around. I hope she does. She is also planning on changing majors so doing something she is more passionate about hopefully will help as well.

By the way, here is the menu for the restaurant that I'll be going to Saturday night. It all looks relish? Healthier options that you see??
http://www.blueagaveclub.com/wp-content/themes/theme1886/includes/images/menus/BAC-Menu-Fall13pdf.pdf

I also found out that I'll be going to an author luncheon in February. I love going to these as we get to have lunch with authors, and talk to them in a small personal setting. I'm super excited about the author!! It's Henry Winkler! I get to meet and talk to THE FONZ! I'm gonna be starstruck!

alinnell
01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
That's an incredible menu, Michele. So many good things that are cancelled out by what seems to be high calorie sauces. I think I'd choose the first salad on the menu even though the shrimp are in coconut (and possibly fried) and the scallops are probably sauteed in butter.

CherryPie99
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
I think that menu looks pretty darn good. Lots of choices and some sauces - garlic and olive oil for instance - are pretty healthy. I would just ask for the sauce to be on the side so you can control the amount!

And meeting FONZIE??!!! OMG I would be a total fan-dork!

What is the book he wrote?

Jen

traveling michele
01-15-2014, 12:19 PM
And meeting FONZIE??!!! OMG I would be a total fan-dork!

What is the book he wrote?

Jen

He has actually written a lot of children's books. He has a chapter book series called Hank Zipzer and apparently he has a new early chapter book series coming out which is why he'll be on a book tour.

silverbirch
01-15-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't eat anything 'smothered in', 'drenched in' or 'swimming in'. That would be my first pass at the menu.

Mudpie
01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Michele My menu picks would be either the grilled salmon fillet or the ribs. A good chunk of protein with veggies and you can leave most of the beans and rice.

BillBlueEyes
01-15-2014, 04:58 PM
I'll have Poblano Vegetariano roasted poblano chile stuffed with sautéed vegetables & cuitlacoche (corn truffle),
topped with red sauce and cheese trio, served with rice & fried black beans

I'll skip the rice and go easy on the black beans.

What time should we all get there?

Mudpie
01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I Googled cuitlacoche - eww! I like mushrooms but this seems too much like that funny stuff that grows on the leftovers in the back of the fridge. :eek:

Dagmar :p

alinnell
01-15-2014, 07:10 PM
I Googled cuitlacoche - eww! I like mushrooms but this seems too much like that funny stuff that grows on the leftovers in the back of the fridge. :eek:

Dagmar :p

Ewwwwwwwwww!!!!! (Had to Google it myself.) Cuitlacoche aka Corn Smut.

saef
01-16-2014, 05:29 AM
Pros and cons:
Cons--

Pros--

???

You sound so much like me. When I most want to avoid these gatherings, because they interfere with exercise or seem to involve "problematic" food, then I know it's the Eating Disorder talking, and so I'd really better go after all, or else I'm restricting my life solely to enable the Eating Disorder. And that is not a life.

The Eating Disorder is an expression of anxiety. How am I ever going to be less anxious if I don't have connections and open up my life and succeed & be happy at doing ordinary things that might just make me happy?

Mudpie
01-16-2014, 05:35 AM
You sound so much like me. When I most want to avoid these gatherings, because they interfere with exercise or seem to involve "problematic" food, then I know it's the Eating Disorder talking, and so I'd really better go after all, or else I'm restricting my life solely to enable the Eating Disorder. And that is not a life.

The Eating Disorder is an expression of anxiety. How am I ever going to be less anxious if I don't have connections and open up my life and succeed & be happy at doing ordinary things that might just make me happy?

I am like this too. I sit at home feeling lonely and bored and anxious. Then I'm invited out and I go and I have a good time. Or I go out by myself to a concert or play or movie and feel much better.

It is much easier, in one way, to sit inside the house. But no risk, no reward.

JayEll
01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Silverbirch, re: P. D. James, wasn't it John Major, not Margaret Thatcher?

If you'd like a good experience of P. D. James, try Death in Holy Orders. I believe she wrote it in her 80s. That's assuming you like murder mysteries, of course.

On the topic of Mexican food, I love it. I usually order individual items, though, and skip the rice and beans. In most restaurants they are just filler anyway.

It's T'ai Chi class for me this morning. I go twice a week. I love doing T'ai Chi--it's like meditation for me. It isn't aerobic, but one does burn some energy at it.

silverbirch
01-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Silverbirch, re: P. D. James, wasn't it John Major, not Margaret Thatcher?

Ha ha! These Tories merge into one over the years. Yes, it was John Major early in his tenure but it was certainly Margaret Thatcher who loved the novels. John may have done as well, of course.

T'ai Chi - how wonderful. Work on preventing falls in the UK promoted going to classes in order to strengthen muscles for getting on and off buses and escalators*. I think of that every time I raise my foot in anticipation and I've started trying to vary which foot I lead with now!

* Is this a BrEng word? You know, those staircases which move up and down.

ICUwishing
01-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Don't knock the corn smut until you try it. ;) I have always been open to trying anything, although I'm much more tentative with organ meats. As someone who's had the good fortune to travel (on business) throughout a lot of MX and dine on some regional delicacies, cuitlacoche is right up there with one of my happiest discoveries. Best way to describe it is a portobello mushroom on steroids - "earthy" doesn't quite cover it.

neurodoc
01-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Cuitlacoche- don't knock it til you've tried it. If you eat blue cheese, you've eaten something similar.

Michele- my boys love Winkler's Hank Zipzer series. Does Winkler have dyslexia like his books' protagonist?

Silverbirch: re, "pinafore dress" - we don't have that expression here at all I think, though the word pinafore is in (rare) use to describe something that covers a woman's clothes like an apron, but with more frouf to it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinafore).

traveling michele
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Cuitlacoche- don't knock it til you've tried it. If you eat blue cheese, you've eaten something similar.

Michele- my boys love Winkler's Hank Zipzer series. Does Winkler have dyslexia like his books' protagonist?

[/url]).

Cuitlacoche-- now I'm intrigued.... to try or not to try that is the question! Edited-- I looked it up and GROSS! I will NOT be trying that. I will either stick to chicken tortilla soup (they are known for it) or try one of the other dishes depending on my mood and weight.

I didn't know the answer to your dyslexia question so I looked him up on Wikipedia. Did you know he is 68?! How did that happen? And he's been married to the same wife since 1978. Unheard of in Hollywood practically! But to answer your question, according to Wikipedia he does have dyslexia but wasn't diagnosed until the age of 31 when his son was tested. I've actually not read his books so I need to do so before meeting him!

ICUwishing
01-17-2014, 09:07 AM
More snow, more cold temperatures. :p Winter's starting to wear thin on me already. I miss home-grown tomatoes and caprese salads ... (whine).

Shannon in ATL
01-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Oh Michele, I love Henry Winkler!