General chatter - Judgment Free Whining Zone - NEW!

View Full Version : Judgment Free Whining Zone - NEW!

Silverfire
01-10-2014, 06:28 PM
New thread for a new year.

Yaknow what drives me banana's? Is the people at the store when there is a huge line to want to nick pick over prices all the time. Today some lady couldn't understand that UP TO 90% off didn't mean it was gunna be 90% off! Read the signs people and don't make me stand in line for 15 minutes while the manager has to spell it out for you!

end rant.

Silverfire
01-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Dammit, I can't spell Judgement I guess :(

Silverfire
01-13-2014, 08:41 AM
ROAD RAGE RANT!

I have a serious problem with the people that drive in my city, because so few of them actually can DRIVE. Sure, they can point a car down a road and hope for the best. But when it comes to having any sort of skill or confidence behind the wheel, there are so few. There is snow for at least 6 months of the year here, you should understand the physics of your car on the snow and be able to not just lose your sh!t and crash at the first skiff of snow! I blame the province for this though as driver training is pretty lacking and drivers tests are painfully simple. I also believe you shouldn't even be allowed to take your drivers test in the summer here! We need to take a page from Finland's driver training (http://www.motorweek.org/features/over_the_edge/finland_drivers_license) handbook!

Learn to drive or get off the road because you are dangerous!

End road rage rant!

EagleRiverDee
01-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Silverfire, I hear ya on the road rage rant. I live in Alaska, same thing. We have snow 6 months out of the year, and the drivers here are woefully incompetent on the roads. They either have too much confidence, and get in wrecks, or too little and drive 30 miles an hour under the speed limit even when the roads are dry. The don't stop at stop signs and zip out in front of you, when you have no ability to brake because it's so slick. Stuff like that. I agree, no driving tests should be performed in the summer. Either that, or that should be a provisional license for summer driving only. And I think winter driving skills training should be mandatory.

SeeMyFeet
01-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Are you KIDDING me? ??

i drove over 60mph just to get here!!!... Three accidents along the way!!!....and now you're telling me I can't have my 90% OFF!!!!!!!!! I'm not budging until I speak to the manager! !!!

Silverfire
01-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Are you KIDDING me? ??

i drove over 60mph just to get here!!!... Three accidents along the way!!!....and now you're telling me I can't have my 90% OFF!!!!!!!!! I'm not budging until I speak to the manager! !!!

LOL :joker:

NorthernChick13
01-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Silverfire, don't sweat the spelling! You had it the Canadian way- so you're good, Saskatchewan chick!

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

PS I'm headed to Saskatoon and Moose Jaw next week- so pumped! I promise not to drive though, as I live a few hours flight east of EagleRiverDee and likely only snow drive now! lol

Whine zone time- WATER RETENTION is the most useless invention ever. I HATE fretting, not knowing if it's "fake" lbs or real weight gain! lol oh well...its part of the journey, I guess!

Silverfire
01-13-2014, 09:52 PM
I KNEW IT LOOKED RIGHT!!!

LOL Thanks Northernchick! And Woo!!! Hopefully the nice-ish weather sticks around for you (don't count on it haha ;)) Have fun while your in town!

And I hear you on the water retention front! With starting up exercise and TOM on the horizon... BAH!

ILoveVegetables
01-13-2014, 10:36 PM
My job search is really frustrating me. I've applied for so many jobs in the past few months, out of which I've only been shortlisted for 3 of them (and ultimately gotten none) and I don't know why. The reason I get is always just that they had another, more qualified person who applied. I'm starting to become a burden on my parents and though they never make me feel bad about it, I really do feel terrible.

LovesToTravel
01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
It's been such a long week at work and it's only Tuesday. :( Phones won't stop ringing and it seems like every one of our difficult clients is coming out of the woodwork with a problem. It's got to be the full moon, ugh.

Dollfaise
01-16-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm just generally sick of feeling fat. I count my calories, I drink water and tea, I go to the gym, I added fruits and veggies to my diet and still my weight slowly climbs. I feel full, even though I haven't eaten yet today, and I've sort of just reached the end of my rope. I feel like crying and throwing a hissy fit at the same time.

EagleRiverDee
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm just generally sick of feeling fat. I count my calories, I drink water and tea, I go to the gym, I added fruits and veggies to my diet and still my weight slowly climbs. I feel full, even though I haven't eaten yet today, and I've sort of just reached the end of my rope. I feel like crying and throwing a hissy fit at the same time.

I'm sure many of us can identify. Sometimes it's the smallest tweak. For me, it was cutting carbs. My metabolic type is extremely sensitive to carbs- the more I eat, the harder it is for me to lose weight, even if I'm keeping in my calorie range. I am convinced that, for me at least, a calorie of carbs is different than a calorie of fat or protein.

Dollfaise
01-19-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm sure many of us can identify. Sometimes it's the smallest tweak. For me, it was cutting carbs. My metabolic type is extremely sensitive to carbs- the more I eat, the harder it is for me to lose weight, even if I'm keeping in my calorie range. I am convinced that, for me at least, a calorie of carbs is different than a calorie of fat or protein.

Maybe this is odd but I'm wondering if I need a small amount of caffeine. I get very little now and I'm constipated a lot. I've focused energy on getting more fiber but it's not helping. Even my bf's mother tried to help by giving me benefiber; she was at a loss when I didn't improve. I've read that it can stimulate your digestive system so I had a cup of coffee this morning. I can't drink too much or I get a headache but I thought it might be worth a shot. After several days during which I tried eating lighter food and then a bit heavier food, I've barely gone to the restroom. :/

My bodybugg should be here tomorrow and I'm picking up more cardio so...the next rational step after all this would be a nutritionist I suppose.

pixelllate
01-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Maybe this is odd but I'm wondering if I need a small amount of caffeine. I get very little now and I'm constipated a lot. I've focused energy on getting more fiber but it's not helping. Even my bf's mother tried to help by giving me benefiber; she was at a loss when I didn't improve. I've read that it can stimulate your digestive system so I had a cup of coffee this morning. I can't drink too much or I get a headache but I thought it might be worth a shot. After several days during which I tried eating lighter food and then a bit heavier food, I've barely gone to the restroom. :/

My bodybugg should be here tomorrow and I'm picking up more cardio so...the next rational step after all this would be a nutritionist I suppose.

Benefiber and other fiber things make me super constipated. I would go on the site http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/constipation.html
and scroll down to the Recommendations: No Downside, Just Upside-down section.

grinchygirl
01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
I just need to rant about soda/fast food reformers.

I'm supportive of all people who have decided to make healthier life choices, it's great. But, I hate when people's weight loss advice (ESPCIALLY doctor's) is to cut out soda, fast food, and junk food. As if every obese person is chowing down on massive amounts of Cheetos, while guzzling slurpees after 2 big macs. I'm sorry it's just not that way.

If that is your story and that's how you made the change and lost weight, congratulations that's wonderful. I'm very excited for you, and I'm sincere about that. But we all got overweight in different ways and will need to take unique paths to get healthy.

I'm not a junk-foodie, I drink almost exclusively water, and I ate balanced meals. I'm overweight because of a lack of portion control and lack of exercise. Please don't ask me to consider cutting out soda...I don't drink the stuff, I never have never will.

Rant over. I feel better now. :P

Dollfaise
01-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks pixel, I'll read that thoroughly as soon as I get home. :)

grinchygirl, I understand your frustration but as someone who troubleshoots tech I can say that when problem solving, we ask the most obvious questions and state the most obvious suggestions first. It's just easiest to eliminate the simple stuff first, that's why tech support will almost always ask, "Have you tried turning it off?" :)

Quiet Ballerina
01-19-2014, 06:04 PM
My rant: the recycling bin is overflowing, and it's almost entirely my roommate's stuff (from when she had people over for NYE and a recent book club meeting) and she seems determined to not take it out. I take out the recycling at least 90% of the time. But I'm putting my foot down and NOT taking it out.

She's been at home almost all weekend. Still hasn't taken it out. Sigh.
Overall she's a really great roommate, but when it comes to things like emptying the dishwasher/taking out trash, it has to sit there for days before she'll do it. So the sink will fill up wish dirty dishes or the trash will be full to the brim. Why not just take it out???

Dollfaise
01-19-2014, 09:20 PM
pixel, it's really interesting how they talked of what doctors generally say to their patients. That's what mine said and I'm not any better so I find it irritating.

grinchygirl
01-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Thanks pixel, I'll read that thoroughly as soon as I get home. :)

grinchygirl, I understand your frustration but as someone who troubleshoots tech I can say that when problem solving, we ask the most obvious questions and state the most obvious suggestions first. It's just easiest to eliminate the simple stuff first, that's why tech support will almost always ask, "Have you tried turning it off?" :)

Meh, I disagree. Turning off the computer is a good suggestion because it solves a massive amount of computer issues.

Asking me if I considered cutting out soda, assumes that I a) drink the stuff and b) haven't considered it. It's one too many assumptions for me. I much prefer doctors who ask if I have considered modifying my diet for weight loss, because change in diet, just like turning a computer off, is a good suggestion because it works for the mass majority of people.

I appreciate your sentiment, and do know that I realize most of the doctors I've spoken with are just trying to be helpful. But it irritates me because that's how obesity is too often perceived by the medical field in this country. It's fast food and soda. This is problematic, because all too often I encounter doctors who think I'm lying when I tell them I don't drink soda or eat out. And they think I'm lying because the culture surrounding obesity has taught them that people get fat because they are visiting McDonald's too often. Nevermind that the food pyramid we were all taught as kids is not healthy :dizzy:

Dollfaise
01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
If they assume you're lying I would call them just bad. My own doctor kind of brushed me aside when I said I was constipated. She said I needed more fiber. A concentrated effort to get more fiber has yielded nothing. I'll enjoy this next appointment.....

It's strange how some doctors can be so fantastic while others are just meh.

Dottington
01-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Ugh totally blew it today :( I know why and I should have been more careful but I'm still whining about it and mad at myself. I think I know what triggered it though since I kind of accidentally ate gluten which triggers major mood swings and cravings. So I've been in a "I will consume all the food in the universe" kind of mood. Also went out for a fun day with my bf and decided to have him take pics of me with my new iphone. I don't know how he managed it, but I look HUGE in almost every photo. All except one I will have to edit/crop because I look so awful. I've just been feeling super insecure lately and that didn't help at all. Sigh I really thought the days of having to meticulously pose, crop, and edit every photo before posting it were done. I really have been happy with all the random photos people have taken of me the past couple months so this was kind of a blow. And I know its totally vain and I'm being dumb but grrr I just feel like a whale right now....although its probably just the stupid gluten talking :mad:

Silverfire
01-20-2014, 12:35 PM
co-worker rant!

In my group, there are 3 people. Our boss (who is boss man of other groups also and doesn't have the time to help our group too often) myself, and "Bob". We also have "Wendy" who is our back up person. I arrive at work at 7am. Sometimes I will come in as late as 7:15.

Since I started in this position, it's always been that I would be in at 7. Bob, who has one part time kid, and one new baby, was to arrive at 9, with the exception of a few days every other week (part time kid week) he would be in later.

This has not been the case. He saunters in between 9 and noon (more often than not, closer to noon than 9.) With no indication of what time he would be in on what day, always with some SUPER SUPER lame excuse. Oh my kid was awake, oh my dog pooped, oh I sneezed two times in a row... or something. (No, I am not a parent, but I do know that you shouldn't be using your kid as an excuse to come in late everyday, when we all know your wife is still home, not working and perfectly capable of taking care of baby while you get your @ss to work!!!)

Today he's supposed to be returning from 3 months of Paternity leave. It's nearly 11:30. Your first day back you think you could be bothered to show up before noon for crying out loud.

I'm not putting up with the crap anymore. Fortunately my boss was already wondering why Bob wasn't here yet, and I took the opportunity to ask him if he was still OK with Bob coming and going as he pleases, He said No and that he wasn't aware that Bob wasn't sticking to his original schedule. I had wrongly assumed that Bob had worked out a deal with our Boss to be able to come and go like that.

So thankfully, my boss is going to be working out a new schedule with Bob and I will not hesitate to let me boss know if he deviates from it.

There is no reason that I should be the one who takes care of the majority of the work, that all arrives before he does, leaving him to coast for the afternoon when everyone else has gone home.

End rant!

EagleRiverDee
01-20-2014, 12:47 PM
I just need to rant about soda/fast food reformers.

I'm supportive of all people who have decided to make healthier life choices, it's great. But, I hate when people's weight loss advice (ESPCIALLY doctor's) is to cut out soda, fast food, and junk food. As if every obese person is chowing down on massive amounts of Cheetos, while guzzling slurpees after 2 big macs. I'm sorry it's just not that way.

I understand this! I know a lot of people do accomplish weight loss by cutting soda or junk food or fast food or beer or whatever. But I do hate when people assume that all heavier people do that. I have a soda maybe twice a year. I don't eat junk food and I don't eat fast food except of the very rare occasion. I don't even eat much in the way of processed foods- nearly everything I eat is made from scratch at home using healthy ingredients. I exercise nearly every day. My habits are good. I'm still overweight.

Dollfaise
01-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I feel close to a breakdown. The phone keeps ringing, customers keep coming in, I'm backed up, people need help, my breaks are too close to times when I'm on backup so I gotta keep up, and I've already had a rude customer hassle me for not letting her skip the line.

Retail workers aren't inherently deserving of rude treatment. And for the record, I'm not even minimum wage and I'm educated so bugger off. -_-

Quiet Ballerina
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Silverfire Good for you for standing up for yourself! It's definitely not fair to be stuck with extra work because others are slacking.

Dollfaise *hugs* I'm sorry today is rough. I hope it improved!

:carrot: roommate finally (finally!) took out the recycling today. Thank goodness. I was going crazy.

My rant might turn into a yay but...we're supposed to get snow tomorrow. Potentially during morning commute. I would really *really* like to not have to drive in it. I'm coming off a three day weekend so it's not that I need another day off, I just hate the idea of trying to get to work in the snow. But I feel guilty taking a sick day.

s rosa
01-20-2014, 10:07 PM
2 whines for me -

I'm sick of being the bottom of the dating barrel. I get people are attracted to who they are attracted to, I'm not saying it should be different… it's just sort of disheartening, knowing that I'm a good person, feel like I could bring a lot to a relationship, but basically nobody looks twice at me because I'm overweight. I lurk on a dating/relationship forum and the way fat people are talked about, it's like we're subhuman or something. I get that being overweight isn't ideal, but geez, I'm a person, not slug slime.

Other whine - OH MY GOD please stop asking me about my job hunt or if I've heard back yet from this or that. I know you're trying to be supportive, but *trust me*, if I'd heard any good news, you would know. EVERYONE would know. When I land a job, I'm telling the whole world. Until then, asking me about it only reminds me that the job hunt has so far been a complete failure, and not only that, but now I have to admit that to you unwillingly.

pixelllate
01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Dollfaise - So glad that you checked out his website! I like that he warns against the instant gratification stuff - sure the Benefiber might give you rabbit poos right away, but it doesn't sound effective in the long run. I upped my fat, worked on my stress and ate generally low to moderate amounts of fiber and with some patience, my digestion got better. I love the feeling of choosing something against the doctor's advice...and afterwards getting the "good results" on doctor's tests! bwahhaha

s rosa - I'm from a culture/family where even very overweight is such a no-no, so I get you! I find that my attractiveness varies in different cultures/settings. I would ignore those anti-overweight forums (prob all ones started by my dear grannie LOL) - I figure no matter what weight we are, there will always be some sort of forum made to rant against any particular body type. Job searching is very depressing and its a total uphill battle. Simply searching sorta lowers my incentive/self-esteem somehow - so many qualifications for every job!

SODA!! - this reminds me of the tips to keep out houseflies! I had a problem and I searched for tips - isn't it obvious to keep a clean house? What about those of us who are just near an area with flies and you are very clean already?

Sorta rant - I intermittent fast and I am generally happy except for that 30 minutes before I break the fast. My mood is rather frightening then. Also, I am doing the right things and I am losing weight and yet, I fluctuate between feeling impatient and lecturing myself about how it would be a waiting game even if I knocked myself out for a week straight and slept away the calories.

Calypso214
01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
I need to rant about my foot!
After months (years?) of being an off-again, on-again couch potato, on Jan 6 I decided this was the year to change. No more yo-yo dieting and no more excuses not to exercise. I have 100 lbs to lose. I swore to myself that I would walk 30 minutes a day on the treadmill (and restrict myself to 1200 calories) and, I've done it faithfully until a week ago. Now, I've injured my right foot...and am so upset and frustrated. Don't know if it's a stress fracture or plantar fasciitis but...even with doing all the "right" things (rest, ice, compression, elevation) it's not better. I took two days off for total rest...and have walked...very, very slowly...since. But, I swear I can't see that it's improving. Any tips/ advice? Soooo upset and frustrated right now! AAAAARRGH!

EagleRiverDee
01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Calypso214- Sorry about your foot. It's possible it's just a bone that needs to be popped back in. The foot is made up of a bunch of bones. About a year ago I started having bad pain in one foot and thought I had a stress fracture and it turned out it was just a bone out of place. It was heck getting it put back though, my doctor had to really pull hard on my foot. I had to hang on to the exam table for all I was worth to keep from being pulled right off of it, haha.

Calypso214
01-21-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm going to the doctor on Monday, and will ask if that could be what has happened! Thanks for sharing your experience! :-)

Silverfire
01-21-2014, 02:34 PM
me again with co-worker annoyances. So Bob, from above, its back from 3 months away. He and I have been work friends for 7 years. Long enough that we can share personal problems fairly freely. And that's fine. There is usually give and take, one b!tches, the other listens, offers up some advice or nice words, and we'd more or less take turns. 2 days he has been back and it has just been non stop pity party. I understand he is having difficult times at home, custody battles, problem part time kids, etc etc etc. It sucks, there is no question and I feel for him. But when does ranting become too much? When it has been 4 hours of non stop instant messages, never deviating from the self pity party? I do my best to be supportive and offer up helpful advice, but that just gets more ranting about that thing I suggested and how it will never work for him.

I'm feeling particularly annoyed with him, possibly hormones, possibly just that I just got used to him not being here and will take some getting used to again. It was quiet :)

anyway thanks for listening, I just kinda had to get it out there so I wouldn't get snarky and say something to him that would hurt our working relationship.

KYgirlinSC
01-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Ugh...I am glad to finally be employed...but come on! I have to sit in this chair for 4-6 hours a day, and guess what my back is killing me after these two days....it was fine last week...what in the h@*l did you to it on Monday before I got in and now can't sit in it? Guess I will take the other crappy chair that doesn't make my back hurt!

Quiet Ballerina
01-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Well, the snow hit today. Work basically told me I had to come in for at least a few hours, which was frustrating. At least I was able to leave by midday. But my parking lot at my apartment complex hasn't been treated at all with the salt stuff and it is slippery. Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow.
Kind of a bummer coming off a really awesome, relaxing long weekend.

ETA: my parking lot still isn't salted or plowed. And I hate that work keeps telling me to "do what's safe" but then acts really put out when I voice concerns about the weather. Today the govt was closed (I'm just outside DC), all the schools in the area were closed, and all the daycares too. I was still expected to come in. And it was really frustrating. If I hadn't said anything, I'm willing to bet they would have tried to get me to work a full day. Grumble.

Dollfaise
01-21-2014, 09:01 PM
More accusations of anorexia, this time from my mother.

I just got done cooking (and eating) dinner and I'm bordering on being overweight... To her, reaching 120 would officially make me or make me look anorexic. Like passing into the lower 120s magically gives people a disorder.

I'm becoming hateful, irrationally enraged that anyone thinks it's their damn business, especially people who are dangerously obese themselves and do nothing to change it.

EagleRiverDee
01-22-2014, 01:37 PM
More accusations of anorexia, this time from my mother.

I just got done cooking (and eating) dinner and I'm bordering on being overweight... To her, reaching 120 would officially make me or make me look anorexic. Like passing into the lower 120s magically gives people a disorder.

I'm becoming hateful, irrationally enraged that anyone thinks it's their damn business, especially people who are dangerously obese themselves and do nothing to change it.

I find it helpful to try and spin things around from the other person's perspective. For one, it's kind of sad that the obesity epidemic in America has gotten so out of control that people (like your mother) see a healthy and normal weight as being anorexic. Maybe explain to your mom what your goals are and why (if you feel like sharing it with her) and particularly if you are under the supervision of a doctor you might mention that. Anytime I'm doing something under my doctor's supervision, I find that pretty much shuts people down on their criticisms.

alaskanlaughter
01-22-2014, 05:12 PM
i tried to put the truck's super heavy tailgate back on its hinges outside in the dark at night in the rain...that didn't go so well...it fell OFF the darn truck and landed directly on my kneecap bone....holy ouch!! i'm still sporting a bump and nasty bruise but at least i can walk, which i couldn't do the night it happened...ugh

Dollfaise
01-22-2014, 09:13 PM
I find it helpful to try and spin things around from the other person's perspective. For one, it's kind of sad that the obesity epidemic in America has gotten so out of control that people (like your mother) see a healthy and normal weight as being anorexic. Maybe explain to your mom what your goals are and why (if you feel like sharing it with her) and particularly if you are under the supervision of a doctor you might mention that. Anytime I'm doing something under my doctor's supervision, I find that pretty much shuts people down on their criticisms.

Instead of saying, "I dislike the spare tire I'm carrying around my stomach" I actually did start telling her about how it's the fat you can't see that has been linked with cancer. I know my mother well enough to decipher from her tone of voice and choice of response (a fake understanding "yeah") that I had made literally no impact.

I suppose I could look at it from the other side but a part of me becomes furious. My ex cheated on me with a girl who is at least 250 pounds, has no motivation to be remotely healthy, and even considers herself to be the ideal figure. That's her deal, whatever...but he doesn't like it, it's one of the reasons he eventually broke things off with her, her complete and total lack of regard for her own health. But if you call her a disparaging word for "fat" it's mean. It's not right. How dare you judge her! But it's acceptable to use a term for a serious medical condition to insult someone who is at a healthy weight and wants to improve? If I were really anorexic, I might find it even more insulting that such a term is being thrown around like it's a joke.

Sorry, got into a rant again there. :D

Silverfire
01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Day three of non-stop co-worker instant message ranting.... I haven't replied in 5 messages. Think he will take the hint?

alaskanlaughter
01-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Day three of non-stop co-worker instant message ranting.... I haven't replied in 5 messages. Think he will take the hint?

yet another reason i'm glad i don't have that capability at work...our email has a "chat" function but i'm never at my desk long enough to bother to try it out...can he see you at your desk? i would just say you're busy and not respond for the rest of the day...or longer LOL

RideRunRepeat
01-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm just sick and tired of being tired all the time. Three days of straight classes (taking 5 three-credit college classes) and I'm fried. I seriously cannot *think* anymore. But next week I have three exams that I'm just super intimidated by. 2 of my classes are soooo hard!! Lots of memorization and just stuff that I'm not good at. Plus today I ran out of food so I wasn't able to pack my lunch so I didn't get to eat it until 4:30. So after 5 hours of classes I come home famished and grumpy. But then of course that's my fault and I'm the irresponsible one...and I just need to suck it up and stop being so selfish. UGH!! I just want to wake up *one* morning and not feel more tired than when I woke up :(

Silverfire
01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
yet another reason i'm glad i don't have that capability at work...our email has a "chat" function but i'm never at my desk long enough to bother to try it out...can he see you at your desk? i would just say you're busy and not respond for the rest of the day...or longer LOL

Alaskan - it is totally a mixed blessing! It's far more handy than sending emails when you do want to chat, or just need a quick answer. But it can be annoying at times for sure. And unfortunately there are only two cubes separating us, so he knows when I'm here or not :( Oh well. If it continues next week I will have to say something, because it is interfering with my work (and the work that he should be doing but isn't coz hes too busy ranting at me!! )

LovesToTravel
01-26-2014, 11:11 AM
I am SO SICK of the weather out here. :mad: I had to cancel my volunteer duties and miss church this morning because the roads were terrible. I white knuckled it through the back roads, then turned around when I got on the main highway and realized it was no better. I also skipped going to the office yesterday to get some extra work done for the same reason. And we were hosting dinner tonight, but most of the guests cancelled by 10am this morning. Ugh.

Husband and I have so much extra time in the winter to do all sorts of things we're too busy to do in the warmer months, but typically we're stuck at home because we live in this gods forsaken snow belt. I hate living here, I really do.

alaskanlaughter
01-26-2014, 10:43 PM
I am SO SICK of the weather out here. :mad: I had to cancel my volunteer duties and miss church this morning because the roads were terrible. I white knuckled it through the back roads, then turned around when I got on the main highway and realized it was no better. I also skipped going to the office yesterday to get some extra work done for the same reason. And we were hosting dinner tonight, but most of the guests cancelled by 10am this morning. Ugh.

Husband and I have so much extra time in the winter to do all sorts of things we're too busy to do in the warmer months, but typically we're stuck at home because we live in this gods forsaken snow belt. I hate living here, I really do.

it's really much better weather in Alaska :D have you considered moving up here? Juneau is lovely this time of year ;)

kailpea
01-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Well, I can't really complain about weather since this weekend it was in the high fifties and low 60s. That's all gone now though, and it's back to being like 9 degrees outside. God knows what the wind chill is. Right now I can't sleep because it's so windy. I thought it was raining because I heard things hitting the windows but I looked outside and it was just dust a and debris. Sustained winds of 35-45 miles per hour is what their saying with gusts up to 60. And the apartment MOVES when there are gusts. It's january! We have several months left to go before winds like this should be even acceptable (tornado season). I'm just tired of the yo-yoing that is Kansas weather. It is bitter cold and then it feels like spring for two days and then it's back to being bitter cold. It was nice being able to get outside and walk this weekend, BUT MAKE UP YOUR EFFING MIND KANSAS AND STICK WITH A SEASON.

Silverfire
01-27-2014, 09:22 AM
I sliced my ankle while shaving my legs last night. I bled like a stuck pig. I put a band-aid on it. It still hurts. A lot. It's winter, why did I feel the need to shave my legs anyway??

all4meh
01-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Rant One:
Had a coworker ask me if I have kids. When I told her no, I didnt she then asked how long I'd been married. After telling her I've been married for 8 years she then decided to tell me how dare I deny my husband kids. Its my Christian duty to provide children to my husband and how I'm being selfish.

I'm sorry, we've been trying for years to have a baby. Infertility sucks.

Rant Two:
Same coworker, different day. Was sitting at lunch in the break room with my workout buddy when this other lady decides to sit down next to us. She then proceeded to tell us about her high blood pressure and diabetes. This lady is about 5'6 and maybe 150 lbs. She asked the both of us who are about the same in height and weight (5'7 290 lbs) how we deal with it? Both of us told her we dont have any of those problems. She said "How can that be? All obese people have high blood pressure and diabetes" Next 5 minutes of conversation she had to have said obese like 20 times.

I'm ready to punch this lady in the nose.

ICUwishing
01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
All4meh ... She sounds like a perfect candidate for the stunned, horrified look, followed immediately by "Did your brain even process what your mouth just said???" or, "Oh my God, you must be so embarrassed that you actually said that out loud!"

Secret Swan
01-28-2014, 12:42 AM
I have been cold for months now. It's cold in my apartment and my heaters can't keep it at a comfortable temperature. It's cold in my office. It's cold outside. I'm only ever a good temperature when I'm in he shower or in bed with the electric blanket, and even that's a toss-up. When will it be spring???

Silverfire
01-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I feel left out. Yesterday at lunch, my friends were chatting about what they had done over the weekend. A bunch of them had gotten together for drinks and had a bit of a party.

I don't think my phone is broken... I guess I just wasn't invited. Again :( (A few weeks ago they all went out for lunch for our friends birthday and forgot to invite me)

Inkrid
01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
I hate how DH is so supportive of me BUT ~ is all, "That can't be possible/that sounds terrible/you're crazy" whenever I go on a cleanse/fast.

But then he all "ooos and aaahs" at the results!!

Also hate how we're having a Super Bowl party ~ with everyone making their own pizza in the pizza maker ~ and I have to plan around/be extra good with my food choices until then, so no one thinks I'm on a diet!

Also hate how I'm not as thin as my fat self used to be. I would kill to be 170 again!! (the first time I thought I was fat).

alaskanlaughter
01-28-2014, 11:25 PM
I have been cold for months now. It's cold in my apartment and my heaters can't keep it at a comfortable temperature. It's cold in my office. It's cold outside. I'm only ever a good temperature when I'm in he shower or in bed with the electric blanket, and even that's a toss-up. When will it be spring???

I hear ya there! i'm always cold....I wear layers, I wear snug hoodies, I wear my boots outside even if it's not snowing because my feet will get cold otherwise....I don't like to be home during the day because I refuse to turn up the heat and the consequence is that I freeze at home :( and I love to drive around because the heater in the truck makes me the warmest i'll be all day

Em Coconut
01-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Not too satisfied with my favorite band calling it quits for good, especially as there's a great chance that I won't be able to catch them on their last tour. I hate it when that happens!

MissSMcC
01-30-2014, 02:06 AM
January is so damn long!

Fat Knickers
01-30-2014, 02:22 PM
I have the most un-neighbourly neighbours. Where I live it's totally legal to park on the street wherever you like once you're not blocking someone's drive. Someone had parked on the street outside my house so I just parked outside someone else's - no problem. I know from living here 30+ years who parks on the street and who parks on a drive, so I parked outside a house I know uses their driveway to park their cars. I figured of all my neighbours they'd need a street spot least. Being as considerate as I could...I thought.

When I came to get my car this morning the woman who lives in that house was waiting for me. She went nuts at me, literally, about how she needs the street to park her car (with her two-car driveway empty and the other spot outside her house free). She was a mature woman so I said nothing really, I figured if she keeled over from rage I didn't want to be a part of it. I hopped into my car and she grabbed the door and wouldn't let me shut it and it was only when I threatened to call the cops she let go.

And then I drove past her house on the way home...and her car is in the driveway where it always is. Madness.

GlamourGirl827
01-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Hubby's coworker invited us to lunch tomorrow. They are very nice people and we are going. They are providing lunch. I've been sugar free since the day after Christmas and grain free about 2 weeks. I feel great. Not to mention I have a nasty sugar/carb addiction and I 'd battled with binging and starving for oh I dont know 15 years. Avoiding my trigger foods completely erases my cravings.
I'm scared to death of what will be for lunch tomorrow. Sandwiches? bread...pasta salad bread with dressing that of course has sugar in it..thats sugar in everything...I'm just dreading it. I'm hoping if I pick around certain things they wont notice but I dont want to appear rude either...I wont even be able to relax until I know what I'm goingto have to eat. Ugh...Its not like I'm going to get fatter from one cheat meal, but I'm so scared of relighting all those cravings all over again, the urges to binge...detoxing again...I love sugar/carbs but I'm finally at peace(no binging) without them.

EagleRiverDee
02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
This is a long rant, but it's been building up, so bear with me.

Last week I took a week's vacation to meet my Mom down south in Reno. She flew in from her home state, I flew in from mine. We met at the airport, my plane arrived shortly before hers. I had been nervous about this trip, because my mom has been drinking a lot lately and has been on a pity-party for a couple years. It's not that she hasn't had some bad things happen (her dad died, two horses died) but that she has chosen to drown her sorrows in alcohol.

My fears turned out to be valid. We seriously didn't even get out of the secure part of the airport before Mom sees a bar and says, "I need a drink to relax". Then she proceeds to tell me she also had a drink on the plane. And then we go to hotel and she has several more. She gets drunk, and then spends the rest of the evening complaining to me about my Dad and how unhappy she is with him and how she wants to have an affair. The next day, she drinks even more. And goes into the same crap about my dad. And then she walks up to a complete stranger and kisses him. I kid you not. The next day, I tell her she should consider cooling it on the alcohol because it doesn't help- she's very unhappy when she drinks. To her credit, she had only one glass of wine all day that day and stayed sober. The next day she didn't drink at all, but she got sick with a chest cold and so she stayed in bed in the hotel room until 4pm. This entire trip was planned around us going to a show that night, and she tells me I'm going to have to go alone. And honestly, I was just so bummed at how badly the trip was going that I nearly cried. The trip was turning into a disaster. She was unhappy with the rental car. She complained non-stop about my Dad. She gave me wise advice such as "You never get what you want." and "I've accomplished everything I was supposed to in this life, why should I take care of myself? I don't want to live to be old." I took her to one place she wanted to go and she saw maybe a 10th of it and then declared it was time to go, after driving a couple hours to get there. I ate breakfast alone every day because she wanted to sleep in. She never wanted to leave the hotel, hardly. It was just non-stop unhappiness.

Ultimately she did get up and go to the show with me, and that was nice and the show was funny and I'm glad we went. But I will never do another trip like this with her again. I will travel back to her place and visit her there, but traveling to a destination with her is pointless if she's going to drink too much, sleep in late, barely leave the hotel and complain the entire time.

To cap it off, I'm back home now and I have caught a chest cold and feel like crap.

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

krampus
02-04-2014, 03:43 PM
That's awful, EagleRiverDee, for so many reasons. I sincerely hope your mom realizes how much her actions are hurting her loved ones and takes the steps necessary to turn her life around.

LovesToTravel
02-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Just feeling a bit bummed lately over a friendship that has been slowly fizzling out. This was my last friend from childhood that I've kept in touch with over the years and there's been a natural drifting apart thing happening for some time now. Nobody's fault, we're just different people going in different directions.

2013 feels like it was the death knell. We typically make plans to meet up or go on vacation together once a year, but last year she cancelled and there was no response to my suggestion that we could look into another time that was better for her. There was radio silence the rest of the year until Christmas, when we exchanged cards that were...polite. I didn't know what to say and maybe she felt the same way. Things weren't clicking anymore so it was getting harder to connect.

I know this is totally normal, but I'll still miss her. She's a great person and, in a way, she represented a part of my life that now feels officially over. :(

alaskanlaughter
02-06-2014, 12:58 AM
i'm feeling awfully old tonight....my ankle aches, my wrist aches...in my bones...it's just very cold out for this part of Alaska....and I took my teenager to sign up for his junior year high school classes for next year and for some reason that just seems REALLY grown up...a junior next year in high school...it doesn't seem that long ago that *I* was a junior....I still remember classes that I took and the sports that I played and I really DON"T feel that much older now....except for tonight I do

Scarlett
02-08-2014, 05:28 PM
My room mate started dating this guy around Christmas of last year. For reference, we are both 28. To put it bluntly she's a "taker" type of person. I enjoy her company, she's been very good to me in some ways but this is getting out of hand. I told her last year she could use my bobby pins, they are literally all gone. I went home for 2 weeks over Christmas and she drank all my wine (about $40 worth). The roomie owes me $20 that she's gonna make me ask for. She's got some serious career/financial issues but rather than deal with them, she just spends night and day with her boyfriend and his new dog. She's made some comments that she likes that he's like a dad to her. They'll go shopping together for her groceries and he pays for them. I don't think she really loves him, she just likes him alot and views him as a way out of her situation (but this is none of my business)

Anyway he sleeps over our apt 4 nights a week most weeks and stays the WHOLE weekend. I get very busy during the week and need my time over the weekend to catch up on stuff and unwind. Additionally, he bartends and usually comes in between 3-5 am. Then my roomie will cook or they'll eat takeout together, make a bunch of noise and make my stomach rumble.

This weekend was the last straw. I've been hinting for the past week or so that this is bothering me. Last night I told her that I have alot to get done this weekend. She said that the BF wasn't even coming over here last night, when he finished work they were going to go back to his place (didn't happen). Then this morning when I left to go to a coffee shop (b/c I felt awkward in my apt) to work on work stuff she told me they would be gone when I got back. 5 hours later I come home and they're both here. Now she's doing laundry and it looks like he'll be sleeping over again.

also she goes to the bar he works at infrequently and she always drinks for free. I was there once 2 weeks ago and saw him there and said hello. I really expected that since he's been staying at my apt rent free half the time he would at least offer me a drink...nope. I always thought that if you're going to stay at your bf/gf's ALL THE TIME you should at least do something to make a gesture to the other room mates (ie buy them pizza once in awhile or something).

I am definitely going to have a serious talk with her this week, but it irritates me that I even have to.

KYgirlinSC
04-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Dear stupid co worker,
Take your bad attitude towards me and shove it! I don't need your negativity towards me. It makes for a crappy work environment!
Sincerely,
a fed up employee

wannaskipandlaugh
06-02-2014, 09:56 PM
I had bought a pair of Orthaheal Walking shoes...; they lasted 500 miles of walking and finally I got a hole in the bottom of my left foot. Branch new pair of R****** and just 75 miles into walking with them BIG HOLE in my left heal on the inside. I am walking on the rubber sole.. GRRRRRRRRRR They were NOT Cheap! BOO!

ICUwishing
06-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh, it's gonna feel good to get this one out! I'm going to be attending a vocal concert this weekend (traditional Anglican boychoir - my son sang with them a few years back). My mom has decided to join me. She has a music background, as in advanced piano and was in a national honors choir in college. Problem is, musical talent AND aural precision skipped right over me. I just love to go and listen, get immersed in it, and come out feeling rejuvenated. She'll nitpick/whisper through the whole thing about how this and that note was flat, or the arrangement could have been better ... I can't hear it and frankly don't give a sh!t. I want to swat her. I've tried to politely ask her not to be so critical and that she's ruining the experience for me. Part of me is dreading this concert! I'm going to try one more time before the concert to explain my position, and if she keeps doing it I am DONE attending musical performances with her. :mad:

ILoveVegetables
06-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Dear bosses,

Stop being so damn stingy!

Quiet Ballerina
06-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Dear roommate,
The dishwasher is full of clean dishes. I know you're aware of this. It's been that way since Saturday. I took out the trash and most of the (overflowing) recycling over the weekend. Empty the darn dishwasher. The sink is full of dirty dishes that I'd like to put in the dishwasher.
Kisses,
Your roommate

(She does this EVERY time it's "her turn" to empty the dishwasher. Lets it sit for days and days before finally emptying it.)

jenjen
06-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Dear Boss,

Please grow a pair. You are the leader, but you don't want the decision to be yours (even though it is). I'm sick of doing your bidding...especially when EVERYONE knows it's you & not me.

Dottington
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Dear Parents,

I have been planning this recital for months. Your children have been working on their pieces preparing for months. I gave you 2 months notice of the date, have been writing it in their notebooks, and reminding you after every single lesson. Your child has been giving "practice recitals" to you for WEEKS! Don't act shocked this week like this is the first time you've ever heard of the recital! And then say, "Oh we already have plans. We didn't know". Ugh! :mad:

ICUwishing
06-04-2014, 08:36 AM
One whine, with one solution. Too many people think that if they have an opinion about something, they must express it regardless of whether it adds to the conversation or if they have any intelligent rationale or experience to back it up. I don't mind it if someone comes in with an open mind and willingness to listen, learn, exchange, solve, etc but the "dump" opinion (slang term pun intended) for the sheer purpose of "expressing oneself" needs to die a fiery death. Thank goodness for the Ignore button.

mars735
06-04-2014, 11:15 AM
One whine, with one solution. Too many people think that if they have an opinion about something, they must express it regardless of whether it adds to the conversation or if they have any intelligent rationale or experience to back it up. I don't mind it if someone comes in with an open mind and willingness to listen, learn, exchange, solve, etc but the "dump" opinion (slang term pun intended) for the sheer purpose of "expressing oneself" needs to die a fiery death. Thank goodness for the Ignore button.

Wish there was a Like button for this post!

Gingerjv
06-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Dear me stop being so lazy!!!!!!!!!!!! i am sick of your addiction to the food and want you to be strong and skinny)

Desiderata
06-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Dear 2014,

Please stop being so awful. There's six more months to go. Please, no more family deaths, illnesses, crises. I think we're over the yearly quota for terrible.

ICUwishing
06-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Eyeballs, I get that you're 47 years old. But do you really need different lenses for reading, computer, lecture, and driving? My glasses are starting to get expensive and way too specialized. I could do without the little floaties, too.