Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #1  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Binging Is In My Blood: A Theory

I had seen in another thread that someone mentioned that it’s possible that some people binge eat because it’s in our instincts to do so. This is because our cavemen ancestors would have eaten as much as possible when they could because they did not know if they would find food again.

This got me to thinking, what if non-emotional binge eating is genetically passed down? Some people, such as myself, suffer from compulsive eating with no triggers. Food constantly consumes my thoughts and I just can’t stop, even when I’m not hungry.

This is something that just came to mind and I plan to do more research. I would like some input though. My theory is that people with type O blood would be more prone to binge due to type O being the oldest blood type and most closely related to cavemen. Therefore, it is likely that the binging instinct would be more prominent.

I was curious what blood type other non-emotionally based compulsive eaters have?
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #2  

I don't know what blood type I have...can't remember.

Let's suppose this is correct, and your blood type presupposes your tendency to binge. In the absence of a scientific or medical way to manage this, at least for the time being, you're still on your own to decide whether to fight it or give in.

For now, you could just assume you are working against the tide, and do your best anyway...
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #3  
Starting Over Again

Mazzy - I'm not saying I'm not trying or giving up. I'm not even trying to place blame on genetics for being heavier than I should be. I know that I'm the only one that can do something about it.

Its just something I thought of and it seems like it could have some scientific basis. Just like how certain blood types are more prone to cancers, heart conditions or diabetes.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I never knew Type 0 was the oldest blood type - - - where did you hear that?
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #5  
Starting Over Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySpirit View Post
I never knew Type 0 was the oldest blood type - - - where did you hear that?
Well, its something I was told by my doctor years ago and I've also seen it in research. It was thought that was the reason type O- was able to be given to anyone.

However, I was just looking into it again and new research is showing that its possible that AB actually came first. I'm finding different information on different sites.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

I don't think this is true. People had access to cheap food and fast food since at least the 50s. But from the 70s and 80s on is when the obesity epidemic happened. So what changed? We got the message fat was bad but carbs were OK. We got supersizing. We got Sunny D and Lunchabeals and Happy Meals and processed food too numerous to count. Franken creations meant to seduce and hook you like never before.

I think our minds and bodies want to be healthy but the food environment has become toxic. And yes it preys on our food instincts. Once you understand the food environment is toxic you can start to fight it. I was a binger. I fought it. The transition is hard. But you can do it. I know there are individual differences but I think most people can overcome it. Sugars/carbs/insulin/blood sugar levels, hunger. Get a handle on that and you can succeed.

I used to tell myself I had a slow metabolism, my ancestors were from Northern Europe and liked to store food. All of that. I was wrong. Happily so. I can control things. But I think you need two things. The resolve to get through a transition period or rather the motivation to. And an understanding of just how toxic a food environment we have. Get mad at that. Get mad at being exploited. Use it as fuel to get healthy. It helped me.

I do think some people are more carb sensitive. I think I am. I also think my food and exercise choices for years majorly messed up my carb metabolism to the point that carbs got all stored basically and never used.

The good news is that is not destiny for, probably, most anyone. You can get things working again. I did. We have a lousy food environment where every trick in the book to get you hooked is used. Fight it. It is worth it and you can succeed.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-10-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I would strongly consider the reliability of your information sources. Are they "real" health/medical websites, attached to established institutions, or random nutritionist/trainer/self-made-medical-guru websites?

For example, I have a friend who raves about "eating for your blood type" because her friend that does it is crazy healthy and looks decades younger than her age. But the fact is -- she eats healthy food and is an active, optimistic person. Whether that food is right "for her blood type" is irrelevant.

As a study of two -- I'm blood type A+ and I binge -- my husband is O- and he couldn't give a hoot about food.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
Some people, such as myself, suffer from compulsive eating with no triggers. Food constantly consumes my thoughts and I just can’t stop, even when I’m not hungry.
I understand, Psychic. And I know where you're coming from...totally. I really and truly thought the same thing for a very long time - I would get pissed at people who would tell me to just put down the fork, and then this whole "emotional eating" labeling thing came along and I was even more irritated! How dare anyone suggest I'm not as emotionally stable as they are just because I eat cake after dinner most days....

Unfortunately, in the absence of knowing anything else about you, here's why I don't believe that blood type is the reason why you binge eat (although that's not to say that biological factors don't play some kind of role):

Take a look at your language for a second:

1. Constantly
2. Can't stop

If you were genetically programmed to eat (i.e., constantly, and can't stop), then you wouldn't be able to sleep through the night, stop long enough to go to the bathroom, or do other tasks. Let's suppose you fell in love, were head over heals...there's probably a good chance your desire for cheesecake would take a back seat to his phone calls. I'm not saying this to be cheeky...just a rhetorical question for now.

Your paragraph includes a refrain declaring lack of control over a situation (admission of a vulnerability) as well as language that points to the actual reason, which is all-or-nothing thinking. You don't come right out and say you need help, because you are no less intelligent than I am, and can figure it out yourself. But, it's there. Your language gives it away.

The truth is likely that you feel compelled to eat more often than you would like to....which isn't really always, and may not even be that often if you looked at it critically. So, if you can stop eating long enough to pee or sleep or drive, then appetite does not have as much control over you as you're telling yourself it does. This is extremely good news... Not only does it tell you that you have some control, but it also points to the reason why you don't (i.e. can't) control yourself.

So, my theory is that you have hitched onto the blood type theory as a way to validate your situation.

I believe that you can modulate your behavior by changing your thoughts, as long as you have self-compassion.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/125

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Are there particular foods you think about? I'm very similar, I think a lot about eating junky things, and that has a lot to do with the way food products are formulated. There's this point of satisfaction your brain experiences from things like fat and sugar, and companies purposely create their products so that our brains would instinctively crave for more.
polymertastic is offline   Reply With Quote