Chicks in Control - Daily Positive Self-Affirmation

View Full Version : Daily Positive Self-Affirmation

worththeeffort2
01-09-2014, 07:20 AM
The other day, I caught myself in the middle of calling myself a cesspool. I realize that kind of negative self-talk will not help me on my journey so I've decided to make a concerted effort to engage in active, daily positive self-affirmation. It has nothing to do with vanity. It has to do with building self-esteem and confidence to continue with my journey to a healthier life.

Last night, even though I didn't really feel like it, I laced up my leg brace, put on my sneakers, and did a 60 min. aerobic workout. I am extremely proud of myself for making that effort, for putting everything I had into the workout, and for sweating like crazy in the end. I did a good job. :smug:

Feel free to join the self-love fest and share something positive about yourself.

Mrs Snark
01-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Great job! :carrot:

I'm working on negative self talk as well, it is a hard habit to break. So here is my positive affirmation of the day:

I am a kind, supportive person. :)

Roo2
01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
You are worth the effort

ames14
01-09-2014, 10:04 AM
I also have a habit of this.. and this causes me to get even deeper depressed and then before you know it. I am eating!!

This is a big battle for a lot of women.. Places like this are great for keeping us motivated and moving on!!!
Thanks for posting this.

Lunula
01-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Good for you!!! I have taught myself for so long that I am not worthy, I have to stop myself all the time and reframe my thoughts to remain positive. Gets easier the more you do it!! :)

worththeeffort2
01-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Sadly, my beloved Ragdoll kitty, Bugs passed away on Friday after a very brief but serious illness. I loved my baby so much and miss her greatly. Despite the grief and sorrow, I've managed to stay on track with my program and have not binged. After two days without working out, I did a 67 minute workout this afternoon.

I am a strong woman and I am learning to deal with my emotions without turning to food. I am proud of my progress.

devenprkk
01-13-2014, 06:51 AM
That's nice. Negative self of talk is not good of mind's health of a person.

Mrs Snark
01-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Worththeeffort -- I'm so very sorry to hear about Bugs, our furbabies are with us for far too short a time. Sending you hugs.

Navywife12
01-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Awesome idea! I beat myself up for not working longer or harder at a workout or because I'm fat or if I fall off the wagon and binge eat :( so I am in!

I am an amazing person!

Navywife12
01-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Tomorrow's affirmation is:

I alone am worth every ounce of effort I put into my weightloss

Roo2
01-14-2014, 02:44 PM
I am a force to reckoned with!

Roo2

mainecyn
01-14-2014, 04:37 PM
I have a horrible time with this habit. I suffered years of emotional and physical abuse from a first marriage..while I no longer have anyone else putting me down, pointing out flaws real or make believe, I continue to tear myself down, think horribly negative about myself and I never congratulate myself.

I just completed a huge project at work, the most difficult one I've ever had. I finish it, on time and does what it was supposed to do (computer graphing), yet I never once told myself "good job" I printed off the graphs and charts I made, brought them home, and spent hours looking at each chart..I pointed out every little detail I didn't like, what I felt could be better, that voice telling me someone else in the office could have done better. I tear myself down so badly that I am walk around embarrassed at work. I keep dodging the boss and when he doesn't see me I think thank goodness because he had to have been disappointed with that report. I hear what I believe to be my boss's voice in my head saying I never should have asked her to prepare it, maybe its not to late to have someone else fix it etc. I don't help myself at all.

On the personal front I lost a great deal of weight years ago. I have gained some of it back, when I see myself it is a constant negative picture. I can not find a single part or area of my body that I look at and accept. I hate everything about my body and that isn't healthy-from my hair, to my toes..I dislike everything and lately have felt like hiding as badly as I did when I was over 220 lbs. I feel the self esteem I did have (as little as it was) be sucked away. I'm empty.

It even difficult to think of one thing to tell myself that is positive, directly related to myself. Is anyone else in this type of situation? How do you fix it? I mean I am to a point I'd have to tell myself the smallest positive thing to start with.

ReillyJ
01-14-2014, 10:35 PM
My body works hard for me so i'm going to work hard for it

Kitcherella
01-15-2014, 04:46 AM
Lately I have been repeating this - I am doing it!

mainecyn
01-15-2014, 02:22 PM
I made it thru this morning and came thru fine. I am trying to count all the positive things I do in a day-anything from paying bills, picking up groceries, etc.

So far I have done numerous things for others in the household this morning-individual things that mean a lot to each person from rides to school, making favorite cookies for husband to take to work, being there with my son this morning for surgery. I am going to try to spend some times on myself-positive time that is.

I am a giving, caring, person that can be counted on.

Now I just have to work on being giving and caring towards myself.

worththeeffort2
01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Mrs. Snark, thank you for your kind thoughts and hugs. It has been difficult getting use to my little furball not being around the house. I do miss her but am thankful I found the strength to not use my mourning as reason or excuse to binge.

Mainecyn, I am sorry for the difficulties you have experienced in your life. Congratulations on making the decision to take control and start the work you need to do to rebuild your self esteem. Congratulations on finishing a huge project at work and doing a fantastic job with it. When you say something negative to yourself, try to catch it and think, "Would I say that to a child?" If you would not abuse a child that way, why abuse yourself that way? Tell yourself immediately that you're sorry and you didn't really mean it. Affirm that, "I am a giving, caring person and I deserve good things."

I've been doing an awesome job of sticking to my diet and exercise program. When the scale slowed and stood still for a couple weeks, I was feeling discouraged but adopted the mantra, "I just need to keep going" and it worked! I've stuck to my program and this morning I saw a 2.2 pound loss for this week. I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and working hard. I can do this!

Dakini
01-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, because you reminded me of another important aspect I need to incorporate into my new lifestyle change, that being, daily affirmations!

I used to do a general Louise Hay one years ago... it really worked. Every morning I'd wake up, look in the mirror, and pull a Stewart Smalley (old SNL reference for you youngsters):

"I love and accept you, Dakini. You are...."

... and then I'd fill in the "You are...." sentence with lots of positive things said as if they were truly happening right now, in the moment. Kind of a manifestation, if you will. For example, I might say, "You have a great job and get along well with your co-workers" even if I didn't have a job at the time. And, of course, I'd fill it with things like, "You are compassionate, beautiful, intelligent," etc. Then I'd end it again by saying, "I love and accept you, Dakini. You are having a great day today!"

It sounds corny and you may not believe everything you say to your mirror in the beginning, but after awhile, really does work and feel good. You almost end up feeling like you are in control of your day and nothing's gonna get you down. Even after doing it again for the first time in years this morning, I already feel and think "brighter," if that makes any sense (and this is coming from someone who has been suffering with severe depression/negative thinking for years).

worththeeffort2
01-19-2014, 08:50 PM
I started my day feeling very frustrated with myself for no good reason but after challenging myself to do 30 minutes on the elliptical, I was feeling really strong. After the elliptical, I did a 43 minute low-impact aerobic workout. I am really proud of myself for focusing on creating new, healthy eating and workout habits. I am doing amazing things for myself and I totally deserve the positive treatment!

neelia
01-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I can lose weight and I will lose weight. I am good I am strong I can do it!

LilDazed
01-20-2014, 11:36 AM
I will lose weight. It's critical to my well being. Must must must.

Alice In ONEderland
01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
This is brilliant, I never would have thought of this. Positive thoughts and positive energy will see us through, won't it. I too am in the habit of calling myself negative things in the moment without thinking. Looks like I've got to change more than the physical, I have to change my mind too.

I am beautiful. I am smart, and I am sexy, and I am cute, and I am going to be the leading lady of my own life this year.

3 FAT CHICKS FOR THE WIN!!!

arerefngela
01-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I really need to work on negative self talk. I say I'm stupid all the time. I really put myself down and thats no way to be so I pray for positive feelings and happiness.

I am beautiful inside and out, I have a loving heart and help others. I am kind and giving. I will not stop fighting this battle with my weight, health, depression and addiction. I will be understanding and kind to myself and others. I will love myself with my whole heart. I will not judge or compare myself or others. I will be strong and confident but not cocky or arrogant. I will take time everyday to expand my mind and spirituality. I will let go of things I can't control and take charge of the things I can. I will smile and laugh and find peace within.

I will meditate everyday while saying this. Fake it till you make it.

Chardonnay
01-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I am a beautiful woman and I will treat my body and mind with respect.

I wouldn't feed my 18 year old pug a bagful of Smarties, so why would I do that to myself???

Chardonnay
01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
My condolences Worththeeffort2, I'll be in your situation sooner than later I think...my wonder dog is well past his expected age, when I hear of other people losing their furbabies, it makes me hug him all that much tighter.

Wannabeskinny
01-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Is there an app for daily affirmations? Negative self talk is innevitable, the media treats women like crap. We're judging each other all the time, it's hard not to judge ourselves. As women we're also taken for granted.

I write like index cards with motivational quotes that I put up in my walk in closet. It helps to see positive thoughts and constant reminders of what's at stake.

Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

OthelloLove
01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
My prior failures have no effect on future successes!

Yes, this is a reboot of sorts, and I have been unsuccessful in the past, but that has nothing to do with today and tomorrow. I own this!:carrot:

worththeeffort2
01-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I agree, Alice in ONEderland, having positive thoughts and compassion for yourself if a very important part of the journey each of us take. It is all part of being committed to living a healthier life. I am working very hard with my program. I am making good choices and staying on track. I am exercising and getting stronger. I can do this. I will do this. I am so proud of myself for putting myself first.

worththeeffort2
01-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I am profoundly excited to embrace the number on the scale this morning. I am so proud of myself for my determination to just keep working at my weight loss efforts, even when results don't show on the scale. This is a wonderful day.

BethC
01-26-2014, 07:46 PM
I've had this issue most of my life. After spending years believing all of the negative things that pop into my head, I've made a lot of progress over recent years.

I'm reading a book called May cause miracles by Gabby Bernstein. she has a lot of good information on positive self talk and letting go of things that no longer serve you.

Here's her site:
http://gabbyb.tv

These are her 5 daily affirmations for 2014. I have them my phone and repeat them when I need them:
- My willingness leads the way
- When I focus on what is joyful in my life, I bring more joy into my life
- I am supported
- I am heathy!
- I am happy, I am free.

I've been working through her book and using her videos for a few weeks and i thnk it's really making a difference for me!

Chardonnay
01-26-2014, 09:47 PM
I will keep up my challenge with pleasure and forget the water weight...it WILL flush away! :)

mainecyn
01-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Mainecyn, I am sorry for the difficulties you have experienced in your life. Congratulations on making the decision to take control and start the work you need to do to rebuild your self esteem. Congratulations on finishing a huge project at work and doing a fantastic job with it. When you say something negative to yourself, try to catch it and think, "Would I say that to a child?" If you would not abuse a child that way, why abuse yourself that way? Tell yourself immediately that you're sorry and you didn't really mean it. Affirm that, "I am a giving, caring person and I deserve good things."

I've been doing an awesome job of sticking to my diet and exercise program. When the scale slowed and stood still for a couple weeks, I was feeling discouraged but adopted the mantra, "I just need to keep going" and it worked! I've stuck to my program and this morning I saw a 2.2 pound loss for this week. I am so proud of myself for sticking with it and working hard. I can do this!

Thank you very much. You are correct. I have tired to talk to myself and ask if I would treat a stranger the way I treat myself, of course not. So why is it acceptable to do it to myself? It really isn't, but is such a difficult habit to break.

You are doing so well with your weight loss, such a great re- enforcer to watch your progress and know that people do succeed, do grow and learn better habits and learn to give themselves, and their body, what it needs. Your really inspiring.

I'm reading a book called May cause miracles by Gabby Bernstein. she has a lot of good information on positive self talk and letting go of things that no longer serve you.

BethC, I am going to look for info on the book you mentioned. I truly believe a great deal of the weight issues, binge eating, body image problems, that i have can be traced back to my own personal emotions concerning myself, how I see myself, what I think I am worth. If I look back at events that shaped my childhood there were several big negative ones, and on the relationship front I dealt with an abusive and neglectful first marriage because I felt I deserved it and wasn't good enough for my then husband. I can see how there can be a connection between the negative thoughts you think about yourself, and the negative actions you take toward yourself. I also can completely relate to hanging on to issues and emotions that were tied into other people, when letting go of the thoughts and feelings would be better. It would be a growing experience, learning experience.

I admit that I often go back repeatedly and rethink painful issues and events, like not being able to leave a scab alone. I have read things that tell you to let go and not let the other have power over you by remembering.

My positive thought today, or daily positive self-affirmation comment would be that today I learned I AM learning the skills I needed for the other position in our office. I've been going in to work early for a week to learn this job and "practice" while the other lady is in the office in case I need help. I was able to get what needed to be done finished this morning, assign everyone, fill in subs where needed, and I did it quicker than I did Friday. I also am slowly growing more confidence when it comes to the phone system. I rarely answered the phones unless absolutely needed to before. Now, this week, I am answering the phones, learning what all the buttons do, and doing it correctly. I'm not fast at it, and get confused at times, but the phone isn't as scary. Im getting faster on my computer looking up the info and finding it when parents call the district. So, I do have some positives.

worththeeffort2
01-30-2014, 10:18 PM
I've been excited all day. Saw the doctor today and I have lost enough weight that my BMI has fallen below the "morbid obesity" classification. It is confirmation that I am making progress with my weight loss. I celebrated by stopping by the hospital gift shop and buying myself a necklace that I'll wear to work tomorrow. I am really working hard and I am experiencing success. I am so proud of myself for this accomplishment.

Wannabeskinny
01-31-2014, 09:13 AM
I just bought a book called "Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance" on the recommendation of someone on another thread. I've started reading it and it has tasks to do on a daily basis for 365 days that solidify your self acceptance. I'm only on day 2 but I really like the structure that it gives me every day.

I've been excited all day. Saw the doctor today and I have lost enough weight that my BMI has fallen below the "morbid obesity" classification. It is confirmation that I am making progress with my weight loss. I celebrated by stopping by the hospital gift shop and buying myself a necklace that I'll wear to work tomorrow. I am really working hard and I am experiencing success. I am so proud of myself for this accomplishment.

What an exciting thing! Congrats to you!! I can't wait to be "not obese"!

LilDazed
01-31-2014, 09:17 AM

:cp: That is AWESOME! And buying bling to celebrate just makes it awesomer.

worththeeffort2
02-01-2014, 07:39 AM
I just bought a book called "Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance" on the recommendation of someone on another thread.

Thanks for the resource recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

Wannabeskinny
02-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the resource recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

So far I'm really enjoying the guided journaling.

mainecyn
02-03-2014, 04:29 PM
One good choice I made today was not letting the scale dictate how I felt about myself. I was disappointed by what the scale said this morning but I didn't let it influence the day or dwell on what the numbers said.

While I can not say I wasn't disappointed by the number staring back at me, I let it go and didn't carry that down feeling with me to work, or let my weight decide how I was going to treat myself today. I also didn't fall back into that well since I gained anyway attitude, and binge.

mainecyn
02-03-2014, 04:30 PM

You have hit a personal milestone, that is wonderful and you should be proud of what you have accomplished!

caldawg89
02-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Congratulations on noticing this negative pattern doing something to change it! It is really hard- I am undertaking my newest weightloss journey and it has been a real struggle, trying to stop the negative self talk, the cravings and the feelings of being scared. Other than exercise, what do other people do to stop the voices/feelings? What things do you guys think/say to yourselves if you start feeling off?

worththeeffort2
02-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Other than exercise, what do other people do to stop the voices/feelings? What things do you guys think/say to yourselves if you start feeling off?

When I start feeling negative and down about how my diet is doing, I tell myself that I just have to keep going; I just have to keep working. That statement both grounds me and encourages me past the moments of negativity. If I fall back to negative self-talk, as soon as I notice, I apologize to myself and remind myself that I don't deserve to be beaten up by anyone, including me!

Today, I had a pretty bad day, feeling negative about pretty much everything in general but I reminded myself that my feelings were just emotions and temporary. Despite being in a crappy mood, I still managed to put on my sneakers tonight and do a workout. Now, I'm feeling better about things because I made it through a really tough day and stuck with my program. Talk about a self-esteem booster, and it's all on me!

caldawg89
02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Good for you, for not letting a bad day ruin your workout! I have had a down day, I have been in pain unrelated to exercise and have just been feeling off, especially about my diet changes, however I went to the gym early this morning and did a really good workout with my friend and we had a little victory with her, she fought the pain and did 10 full minutes on the rowing maching without stopping, a big achievement for her, and that alone boosted my mood. I hope you are feeling better soon, and that tomorrow is better for you!

worththeeffort2
02-13-2014, 08:45 PM
It has been a tough week for me. I'm totally hormonal. Though it has been emotionally draining, I have stayed on track with my eating program and I've done a great job exercising. I am so proud of myself for keeping me a priority. :carrot:

mars735
02-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Congratulations on noticing this negative pattern doing something to change it! It is really hard- I am undertaking my newest weightloss journey and it has been a real struggle, trying to stop the negative self talk, the cravings and the feelings of being scared. Other than exercise, what do other people do to stop the voices/feelings? What things do you guys think/say to yourselves if you start feeling off?

I concentrate on my breathing. I don't breathe differently, but just take notice of how it feels in my lungs nostrils, etc. It works pretty well--the hard part is remembering to do it when the self-criticism and negative feelings are filling my mind.

worththeeffort2
02-22-2014, 10:13 AM
I am so super excited! :cheer: I have lost 50 pounds! I am awesome! What a great feeling to reach this point of the journey. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I feel so happy.

mainecyn
02-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I am so super excited! :cheer: I have lost 50 pounds! I am awesome! What a great feeling to reach this point of the journey. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I feel so happy.

Congratulations! Your hard work is paying off. You should be happy with yourself.

I am over a month not binge eating, during this time I have not once heard that voice in my head calling me stupid, ugly, etc. I may not totally like how I look but I noticed that I'm not adding to it my slamming myself over and over.

worththeeffort2
02-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Good for you, Mainecyn! Congratulations on making such great progress. Great work not binging. It is not easy. You should be very proud of yourself for that and for not bashing yourself. That isn't easy, either. You're doing wonderful. Keep up the good work. :hug: