40-Somethings - 40-Somethings January 2014 Chat

View Full Version : 40-Somethings January 2014 Chat

newleaf123
01-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Here's to a great year of chatting! I closed out the December thread but there were a few great posts from this month already so I'm hoping you will go back and read...

newleaf123
01-04-2014, 07:55 AM
sum I saw your weight in the weigh in thread. Great way to start the year! :carrot:

As I was entering my weight in my app this AM, I was a little flabbergasted that "this time" which should be the rest of my life, is coming up on 2 years in April already. Not too onerous, with the support of my DH and all my friends here! Here's to another 30 years, LOL

Mrs Snark
01-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Heidi, I'm aiming for immortality, so let's do this forever!

newleaf123
01-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Nah, when I hit 79, it's going to be skittles, jelly bellys, and twizzlers all the way!

Sum38
01-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Yay, new thread.

Heidi Thank you, I had a really good week :) I wish every week would bring 5 pound loss :D

I think I need to up my calories that I am eating, gasp. I am exercising so much that the weight seems to be just melting off. My whole body composition has changed in the past few weeks, I even look a lot trimmer. BUT, if I am burning 1200-1500 calories per day by exercising and only eating 1200 cal, that is a huge deficit and I will probably start feeling weak. -- It scares me to start eating more.

So today I am upping my calories by 200 and see how it goes.

Sum38
01-04-2014, 09:25 AM
You guys are so silly :lol:

TwynnB
01-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Congrats Sum, I don't have the problem right now of too little calories! I did the first time around with SBD, not this time :D.

I just made myself egg foo young (without gravy!) for breakfast, and it is outrageously awesome. Whowoulddathunk I would like eggs without cheese?

On the diet front, I am doing well on my phase I (no grains or fruits), just too much of it. I need to drink more water, and I'm getting better about exercising again. I think my previous dog was my rock for running (she was the perfect running partner), and I just hadn't gotten to where I was without her. The new dog is too silly!

Mrs Snark
01-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Nah, when I hit 79, it's going to be skittles, jelly bellys, and twizzlers all the way!

You had me at skittles.

Sum38
01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I want to look like her when I am 62 (and 72, and 82 because I think she will stay as a hot momma for ever), so no skittles for me at 79 :D

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2014/01/03/jane-seymour-bikini-body/

Mrs Snark
01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I will not look like her, ever. Ever.

So, I'll eat your share of the Skittles. While wearing my mumu. :)

newleaf123
01-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I'll never rock that look either, sadly... But she looks great!

Leeh
01-04-2014, 12:27 PM
My kids told me they don't want me to be a skinny granny. :D
You can keep your skittles, though. Fruity candies don't do anything for me. Give me caramels or chocolate, please.

love2b150
01-04-2014, 12:46 PM
LOL Sum me too on the five pound loss :) Good luck with your changes Sum :)

Tammy egg foo young :drool: I'm gonna have to look that up :) I hope you and the new pup get a routine going soon :hug:

Michelle, I have worn enough mumu's to last forever I never want to wear one again :D

Leeh caramels :drool: I've been drooling a lot today ;)

the boys are making pancakes :drool: here I go again, smh. I think I like the syrup more than anything :)

Chubby mum
01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Sum, I wish I could drop 5 pounds in a week. I'd be happy to lose that in a month.

I have been inspired by you all to count calories for the first time ever and I think I'm generally maintaining on 1800 to 2000 (when I'm thin). I think the reason pregnancies catch up on me weight wise is that normally I exercise quite vigorously whereas I don't bother when pregnant. If I can't get that "runner's high" then I'm not interested.

I'm going to aim for 1800 or under and see how I go. After the baby's evening marathon feed I always hunt through the kitchen looking for food so I might limit it to one thing rather than about three.

About how many calories is everyone else eating? Sum, were you hungry on 1200?

kelijpa
01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I love egg foo young, sounds great for breakfast!

I'll take the jelly bellys at 79 :D

That is a great week Sum!

:wave: all

Sum38
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Ooops, I answered to your question in a wrong thread Chubbymom :D -- What I was saying, I barely get hungry at 1200 calories, as long as I eat healthy stuff, lots of veggies and lean protein. If I do get hungry, I have no problem adding a snack. Yesterday I ate 1700 calories and was stuffed. I struggled to get all in, and decided to take a short cut and have an apple w/pb...loads of calories and oh so yummy.

We received about a foot of snow and more is yet to come. And then the cold front moves in and wind chill is expected to get to -45F. Yikes. I don't think there will be any school for a few more days.

We are about to go and take a hike through all that snow. I am not looking forward to it :D It will be HARD WORK! I am anticipating the hike to take 2 hours (I normally walk those 4.2 miles in 65 minutes or less).

I will definitely need to eat more today; I already did an hour step aerobic class and burned 500-600 calories and that hike will burn 600-900 calories.

Stay warm everyone!

guacamole
01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Hello, all! Happy New Year! The weather has been frightful and I have no fireplace for it to be delightful.

My husband and I joined a gym and I have been doing my physical therapy. It's been slow going...I seem to make quick progress and then I seem to stall and be stuck at the same place for a long time. Kind of like my weight loss! I haven't stepped on the scale in ages. I really can't focus on exercise to take of the calories (I do a stationary or recumbent bike, because most everything else is too much pressure on my leg). That means I have to watch my calorie intake, but I have been eating much more than my goal of 1200-1500 on most days. I guess I am in winter hibernation mode, but I am going to be terrible unhappy come springtime if I keep this up.

PMS is here full force and making me feel even more bloated and heavy than usual. Major snowfall and frigid temps have closed schools and are keeping me away from the gym today (I went on Friday). I need to get motivated, but I've been living with chronic pain for the past 3 1/2 months, and it's getting tough.

Good luck, everyone!

newleaf123
01-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for catching us up, guac; I've been thinking of you... Glad to hear you are making progress with PT, albeit slow... Spring is around the corner... right??? Ack... terribly cold winter this year. Blech. :brr: Hard to fathom that I was walking on the beach last week...

kelijpa
01-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Hi Guac, good to hear you're making some progress with the PT. Even if it's slow. I'm just starting to get calories reigned in (think I spelled that wrong).

anyway, we're going back to making a chart for 12 weeks and weighing in on Fridays and writing it down on the chart! It'll be spring by the time we're done, this frigid cold can go away anytime. Today was decent but now the wind is kicking up and rain is supposed to start, yay...not

Best to all :sunny:

Sheila22
01-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Hello Everyone! Mind if I re-join?

Well - the holidays were uh, rough...I completely de-railed and am now getting back on track. I've weighed in today at 159.5 :(

At any rate, I'm 3 days into a "cleanse" - no starchy carbs, no alcohol, and exercise - - amazingly I feel better already. Made some 13 bean vegetarian chili for the workweek (I'm also in the storm area and need to drive tomorrow morning :o)...but it feels good to be prepared.

It's amazing how horrible I felt when I stopped exercising, ate plates full of cheesy potatoes, candy and sat on the couch drinking wine every evening just "numbing" with food and drink...NEVER AGAIN.

My goal is to be at 130 by April 1st - 10 pounds a month - - I've also taken my measurements:

Chest: 41.5 inches
Waist: 41.25 inches
Hips: 42.5 inches

....at least I'm fairly symetrical....;)

Glad to be back on the boards - I really appreciate reading all of your posts and the support here - it's motivating for me!!

Hope everyone stays warm!! Negative windchill of 40 degrees coming here!

Sheila

Chubby mum
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks Sum, that explains things. I think I'll try cutting back my intake a bit on non exercise days like today. I'm losing a pound a week but it's coming off more slowly than with DD3.

I wish it was snowing! It's hot and steamy here and our air con is playing up. It's supposed to storm later which would be a relief.

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Yay I found the chat thread.
sum: glad your in full exercise mode. Congrats on the weight loss!
Guac: continued strength for your P.T.
Heidi & Mrs. Snark: I want to be on the all candy diet when I am 79 too count me in.
kelpia: how is the running going?
Chubby mum: fingers crossed for your heat wave breaking!
Sheila: welcome.

FatAbbi
01-05-2014, 10:40 PM
I find no motivation to exercise. I hate it. I'm trying 30 mins a day... Roller derby starts on Wednesday so that should help 2-3 times a week. I casually ride my bike around the neighborhood on Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting.

Leeh
01-06-2014, 07:28 AM
I've also taken my measurements:

Chest: 41.5 inches
Waist: 41.25 inches
Hips: 42.5 inches

....at least I'm fairly symetrical....;)

Glad to be back on the boards - I really appreciate reading all of your posts and the support here - it's motivating for me!!

Hope everyone stays warm!! Negative windchill of 40 degrees coming here!

Sheila
Freezing rain day today so no buses for my 16 year old (she walks to school but if buses are canceled the teachers can't teach new material so the kids stay home)

It is interesting to me to see how your proportions are so different from mine, Sheila. You are 4 inches taller and 40 pounds lighter than I am.
My measurements
Chest 46
Waist 37
Hips 45

Sum38
01-06-2014, 07:46 AM
DH missed his flight this morning due to the weather conditions. I get to have him home a few more unexpected hours, yay! Both of the kids schools were cancelled, and I am really glad about it. DS has a nice big car (he drives and Escalade; ya I know, I know...spoiled :D) But DD has just a regular passenger car and that thing would get stuck in a snow today. This momma feels better having her babies at home during a storm like this.

Hard to imagine Chubbymom suffering from a heatwave :D Temps over here in Michigan are supposed to dip down to -20 today, brrrr....

I won't be walking my furnbaby for a couple of days; it is simply just too cold and I would fear for her paws getting frost bitten.

My hip is bugging me a bit. I have had problems with the ball joint getting inflamed time to time. Last time when I was running (6/7 years ago), I had to stop because it was so painful. I think my hip did not like the hike we took yesterday. I may take it a bit easier for the next few days and let it rest, perhaps I will do some swimming.

Sum38
01-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Leeh I wanna be the granny that grandkids call hot...lol

keli I saw that you were snow shoeing....that sounds like really hard work.

Guacamole I feel for you! I was in your shoes 5 winters ago and the recovery felt awful. More you move, better the break will feel. I still get stiff if if stop doing my walks. By the time summer gets here, you'll feel so much better! :hug: Hang in there!

Sheila22 Nice to have you back! -- I gave up my beloved wine some months ago. Time to time I miss it; especially during social gatherings - I survived Christmas parties and New Year's Eve without any alcohol - but I feel so much better! I don't know if it has made any difference in my weight loss, probably not, just how I feel.

FatAbbi I loathe weight lifting, and do it 3 times per week. I absolutely hate each and every minute whilst doing it, but the pride I feel once I am done is incredible. -- Once you get into some routine, it will become part of your life. Good luck!!

Leeh and Sheila I should take my beginning year measurements. perhaps I'll do them on Friday and tag them to my weekly weigh in post :)

Heidi Beach sounds heavenly today. -- We always go somewhere cold for our winter vacation; this year it will be Colorado....I am starting to want something warmer. Kids love the winter sports so much.

Carma How are you?

Mrs S You always make me smile. Thank you!

Moondance
01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

After a 5 month derailment, I'm back, again, looking for support, and answers to why I can't keep weight off once I lose it. Last year I lost 25 pounds over 6 months and have regained 15 of those pounds back. :(

Glad to see so many familiar faces. I'm hoping 2014 is my year for lasting change.

newleaf123
01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Awww Moondance :hug: I hope this is your year, too!

TwynnB
01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Moondance - although I didn't loose as much, I gained a bunch back too. It is SOOOO hard! Keep getting support, I think that's the most important thing.

I just had an awesome run in Spring Creek Canyon, near our house. A bald eagle was highly disturbed that I interrupted his fresh trout catch, but it was coooool seeing him (in the snow!). It was a good run despite the snow and ice (jealous, Mrs. Snark?!?) although my hamstring is a-achin'. (I tore it over 2 years ago)

Onward ho!!

guacamole
01-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Quick hello! Snow day today and tomorrow for kids. So, no gym and no shopping. I didn't log calories today - but, the good news is I have no sugary snacks in the house to binge on! :)

Leg is feeling very stiff with no exercise (good point, Sum). Maybe tomorrow I will make an effort to walk the stairs a few more times and do some of my PT stretches.

Stay warm and on plan!

kelijpa
01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Sum, the snow shoeing was hard, was feeling it again when I walked today :D so glad we went though, this weird weather, it warmed up and almost all the snow melted, now tonight it's dropping to the negatives, high of like 5 tomorrow and then back to normal then warm again.

Carma, I haven't been able to run much lately but get it in when I can, I can't wait for nicer weather to be able to do more outside, The rail trail after work was great for me, the gym at work seems to take up more time, we have an exercise bike now so I'm doing more riding and hope that translates into more riding the bike I have in the shed...

Moondance, good to see you, I know my problem in the past was once I lost the weight I thought I was invincible and would never gain it back, you'd think that would happen once and I'd realize I wasn't invincible, but it took a few times to penetrate my thick skull and now I'm really trying to concentrate on the long term.

Moondance
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Happy Tuesday! :D
Have a cold with primary symptom of sore throat. Didn't sleep well. Mediocre food choices yesterday. No real motivation to do anything today...not even to post. Hopefully will feel better tomorrow. :tired: I'll try personals then too.

Hope everyone has a great day!

mezmerelda
01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm finally out from under this cold/flu thing. I am still a bit weak w/workouts, but I'm able to do my normal stuff w/o coughing up my lungs every 5 minutes.

I'm pretty bad about jumping on here when I'm at home. I am on computers all day, so when I get home, I'm done. So I haven't been on since Friday, I think. Work was closed yesterday due to freakishly cold temps. I think it's silly to do that, but I don't have kids and my car is new, so I decided to just shut up and enjoy the extra day off. My house stayed nice and warm, and the dogs and I enjoyed extra time watching TV and reading while the DH had to work. (He works at home.)

Weight loss seems stalled. Still sticking with it. It's possible I will need to change my plan, as this seems to happen to me after 2-3 weeks on a plan, even when I do not cheat. My system apparently does better with weight loss when confused.

FatAbbi
01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm the single worst calorie counter and I am in awe of all of you!

kelijpa
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Abbi I couldn't calorie count without myfitnesspal

MarleneV
01-07-2014, 11:56 PM
One of those days... Tuesdays are our meeting days at work, so basically, until 1:30, I was in one meeting or the other.

Then I had to run home to deal with water issues. DH is still in Europe, and with the abnormally cold temps here (yes, I know it is worse in the north, but we aren't set up for what we have), sometime between when I got my shower this morning and when daughter got up to get hers, something froze. We think it was actually down in the well. Anyway, she turned it off & went to school without a shower. I came home and got on Skype with him, and turned everything back on, and it is ok. So we have water!

My day wasn't done though, because I had an eye dr appointment. I was supposed to go there from work, as it is on the way home (and pretty close to the office). So, I had to drive basically almost the whole way back to work for this. Not my regular appointment, I have been having some problems seeing the computer monitors, and was concerned. I have early stage macular degeneration, and was worried about that. All those tests turned out ok, and I'm not due for my actual refraction test until the end of April. He thinks that it is likely that the prescription has changed faster than I'd expect because it typically does in the late 40s, and then slows back down in the early 50s. WONDERFUL... (NOT!). Oh well, at least I don't have to worry that it is anything more serious.

So, I could have had a much worse day, as we could be here with no water and I could have something more serious going on with my eyes. DH & older DD will be home finally on Saturday, and she leaves Sunday to go back to college. Tuition, room & board & books for the semester are already paid for, so she's good to go.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.

Mrs Snark
01-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Marlene -- I'm glad your eyes weren't anything more serious. That must have been nerve-wracking.

Also, I keep meaning to say that I love that dress you're wearing in your avatar. It looks great on you!

Sum38
01-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Marlene I am glad all turned out well for you yesterday. I love how you looked at your day as glass half full. :hug:

The cold weather continues. My DS has another snow day. I wish I had known that the break extended like this; I would have taken my kids to FLA.

I am an exercise machine. Filled with motivation :D I hope this will last, but gotta take advantage of it while the motivation is around.

So off to do my exercise # 1 for the day, treadmill walk. TaTa for now.

dietcokehead98
01-08-2014, 10:10 AM
I just realized that I started at 3FC when I was in my 20's. I've been to the 20's, 30's and now 40's threads! How funny!

Hi, I'm Amy and I'm back (again). I guess I'm the quintessential yo yo dieter. I'd like this to be it for weight loss. I mean...I'm 40 now!

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Leeh
01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Since I hate needing to be here I hesitate to welcome you back but I hope you find what you need for ''always success''.

Every day is a struggle for me to stop shoving stuff that I shouldn't in my face. I have a pot of dulce de leche cooking right now. Did I need to make it? Will my son (20 years old 6'2 and 145 lbs) live without it to spread on his bagels?

MarleneV
01-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Sum & Michelle

Thanks! Waiting just 24 hours to get in for the appointment was nerve-wracking, more so because DH wasn't here.

I love this dress, it is a Calvin Klein color block.

Sum, that's how I try to be, so even if I hadn't been able to fix the water, I had a plan and would be thankful for a place to stay, as a co-worker who lives in town offered their guest room. Positive thinking gets one so much further in life.

Sorry you still have the cold weather. Yeah for motivation!

Sum38
01-08-2014, 12:38 PM
dietcokehead98 Welcome to the 40's chat!! This will be your decade!

Mrs Snark
01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Welcome back Amy!

Sum38
01-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Moondance I hope you did not get sick!

Moondance
01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Happy Thursday! :D (I think)

This cold is kicking my butt!!! :kickbutt: All I want is comfort food and rest. No energy to exercise. Guess my plans are put on hold until I get over this. I am reading posts, trying to stay in the right frame of mind.

Keep up the great work everyone!

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Sum: I am doing okay. Trying hard to fight the battle. Scale was down today 211.8. Sadly I celebrated that with over eating by 500 calories. If I walk/run for 45 minutes it should all balance out. I just can't seem to get my head in the game. I have been better at eating fruits and vegetables but fail in having extra calories at night. I wish I had a tenth of your motivation but I remember last year when I was in the zone you weren't.
Moondance& Amy: Welcome back.
Mrs Snark: Hope your doing fine in sunny Florida. Us northerners are jealous.
Kelipa: the cycling should be good. Dare I suggest you train for a triathalon. Secret dream of mine. Reality isn't getting there any time soon though.
Marlene: Glad your eyes turned out okay.
FatAbbi: I like Kelipa would not be able to do it without MFP. The biggest thing is to record it all. I also love the fact that when I am honest it tells me what my weight will be in 5 weeks. When I am bad it shocks me into reality. When I am good it gives me great motivation.
Mezmerelday: Glad your feeling better. Stay warm.

Sum38
01-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I am giddy today. The Whoosh Fairy paid me a visit and I dropped 3.2 pounds yesterday :woohoo: I hope that it sticks :crossed: -- Even though, I really love the whooses, it would be less nerve wrecking to see small losses each and every day. What do you think? Are you a whooser or a steady loser?

I have met my January plus Valentine's day goals (ironically they were the same).

Upping my exercise in conjunction with South Beach Diet seem to be working for me, at least for now.

Sending :dust: to all!

newleaf123
01-10-2014, 09:14 AM
I am a steady loser, probably because I'm post-menopause. Congrats on your whoosh, Sum!

kelijpa
01-10-2014, 09:46 AM
moondance keep coming on and reading, I've done that when not totally back in the game, at least my toe is still in the water or maybe I' m on the beach looking at the water, but not giving up on jumping back in. Hope you're feeling better soon, chicken noodle soup and hot tea with honey and lemon usually helps me, and alka seltzer plus cold medicine.

Sum you're doing great! I would imagine seeing the whoosh a few times now will help get you through those times when you're in a holding pattern. Congrats! I seem to bounce around with an overall downward trend, making some adjustments last month with food and exercise helped me break through a sort of plateau, I'm a big believer in looking at what I'm doing and adjusting my plan, especially after this last few weeks.

Carma you're on the right track, eating more fruits and veg, thinking about balancing food intake and exercise, sometimes we just have to wait out those slow times and call maintaining or a slow loss a success, it's better than gaining it all back plus some and starting all over, which I've done more than a few times. For me it's all lessons learned that are helping me to do a little better each time.

Snowing like mad outside, trying not to get bummed about that...

Best to all :wave: :sunny:

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
well changed to sushi instead of Texas Road House. Did pretty well. Forgot my fit bit at home didn't grab it until 3 but got my 11000 step goal since 3pm so go me. I probably was more like 14000 at a minimum. Hoping it forgives the cold stone creamery overage I did. I had their raspberry sorbet 160 calorie cup. Go me.

TooWicky
01-10-2014, 11:57 PM
I didn't formally exercise yesterday, but I got quite a workout anyway. Water pipe burst in my basement. I spent a lot of time on water clean up and lugging soaking towels up and down the stairs, late into the wee hours of the morning. Good news, however, as of an hour ago, we have water again in the house!! I am more of a handbag and escalator gal, so not having water available for 24 hours made me feel like I was on Survivor or something. Lowes was running extremely low to completely out of stock on pipe parts and cement adhesive... pipes have been bursting all over town in homes and businesses. MarleneV, I'm glad you have water as well now!

MarleneV
01-11-2014, 01:02 AM
TooWicky,
So sorry you had to deal with the clean up... That's not fun at all.

We have water in the house without having to mess around in the well house. However, I have to take care of our flock of ducks (that I didn't have anything to do with getting in the first place), and they require lots of water twice a day. I have to go in the well house, turn the line out to their pen on, let it pressurize, take care of them, and then turn the water off & drain the lines. My DH will be home tomorrow evening, so only 2 more times for me to do this. Then he can fix the broken parts that require me to go though this, and also take care of them himself...

Sum38
01-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Sorry about you problems with the house TooWicky! I LOL:ed about your survivor comment!!! :)

My whoosh stuck. I am happy about it...now my next goal is to get down to normal BMI and 30 pounds lost at 142 pounds...I can almost smell it.

I am starting to like my body once again...26 pounds gone and my shape is finally starting to emerge. Legs are looking shapelier than before and tummy has drastically gone down. -- Another 21 pounds and I will be very pleased how I look; no more hiding in the summer time; bikini here I come :D

I am so happy that I finally found my mojo. Perhaps the motivation will last all the way to 125 pounds :crossed:

I tried on bunch of jeans last night. Jeans from Nine West finally fit, size 8/28. I only have a few more pairs that are a bit tight, I may need to drop another 5 pounds to fit into them....So today I'll be sporting my fancy Nive West jeans with a sexy top from Boston Proper #feelingpretty.

Sum38
01-11-2014, 09:37 AM
MarleneV Was this a vacation for your DD and DH or was it a work related trip? -- I don't know if you knew, but I was born and raised in Finland; I try to go back every year. I need to plan a trip this upcoming summer to see my mom. My sister lives in beautiful Portugal; hubby and I have talked about retiring there as some point. We really love the country.

Carma Nice job getting your 11000 steps in a few hours. I always want to kick myself when I forget to wear mine. I took 19000 steps yesterday, woohoo. Step aerobic and hike days are always high. -- Congrats on your trip to CS, I don't even go in when DS wants it because the smell would make me want to get something yummy and creamy.

kelijpa I hope you did not get snowed in. When is the warm front supposed to reach you? We have rain and fog today. Snow is melting before our eyes. It is nearly 40F outside and it feels heavenly.

Heidi I hope your job is going well. How are you adjusting being a working mom?

Moondance Sorry that you got sick. I hope you are feeling better! Any more plays in your future?

Leeh Stay strong! Moment on the lips, eternity on the hips!

:wave: to everyone else!!!

kelijpa
01-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Sum we did make it out yesterday,thanks to DH, I probably would have stayed home, so glad we got out,we had a great walk on the rail trail. Today it would not work with the rain and wind, our snow is almost gone, too, yay.

Marlene and TooWicky sorry to hear about your water problems and glad to hear they are getting resolved, I always worry about water when there's going to be a freeze or if the power goes out...I always tell DH I always need something to worry about... :lol:

Mrs Snark
01-11-2014, 10:42 AM
It's like this thread has water cooties or something, as one of our toilets busted last night. Oh fun. Has someone put a hex on us 40-somethings?

*looks around suspiciously*

Playoff football tonight, looking forward to it!

newleaf123
01-12-2014, 04:21 PM
The job is going fine sum. At 20 hours a week, it hasn't really thrown a wrench in anyone's routine other than the cat's. But I am starting to realize how much flexibility I have given up... and I do wonder how I'll feel about that come summertime. For now, it's okay. We'll see though. I'm going to focus on developing all the operations training materials they need; that way I can leave and know that I've made it easy for the next person. LOL

MarleneV
01-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Michelle, I LOL'd at the water cooties remark, too funny! Not so funny about the toilet though. Hope it didn't result in too much damage.

Sum, it was a vacation trip. He had wanted to take each of the girls when they were teenagers. She'll be 20 in July, so he barely made it. They flew to Ireland because that was the least expensive way to get there, then to London. Trains to Paris & Munich, and then flew back to Dublin & rented a car for a couple of days. They visited the University of Limerick, she is looking at doing a semester abroad for spring 2015. We both (DH & I) wish we had the opportunity to do something like that, and really are encouraging her. She loved it, and it's pretty likely that she'll do it. I've been to Ireland, London & south England, Paris, and the area around Lyon, FR, which is where my great-great grandfather emmigrated from in 1885. I was actually able to find cousins back there, so it was pretty exciting. They are to visit us here this year.

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear about water issues. Keep your cooties all to yourselves, lol. Need to get to bed but hoping my fitbit will sync. Seems to be having issues. It didn't sync my steps yesterday until the morning. As I rely on the fitbit to put in my exercise I also can't total MFP.
Sum: 19000 steps wow. I am upping my step goal each week. Forcing myself to get it up there. Congrats on the jeans.
Marlene: That is so great your husband is taking your kids on trips to England solo.
Heidi: glad to hear the job is going well.
Mrs Snark: Hope your team won. I know my husband was happy to see the pats win.
Kelipa: How muddy was the rail trail?
Toowicky: Hope you were able to salvage some of your weekend.

Sheila22
01-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Hello Everyone!

Checking back in - I've been doing really well over the last 10 days, but my TOM is coming and grrrr....the scale isn't moving. :mad:

Nevertheless, I got on the treadmill this morning - have my fitbit on, and at 7:25am, I already have 5850 steps for the day. :D

I've planned my meals and snacks, and feel good about how I've started this day, that I have a plan to make it successful, and regardless of water weight, I know my fat "cried" this morning (as I sit here soaking with sweat...lol)

Hope everyone has a great day!
Sheila

Sum38
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
It's like this thread has water cooties or something, as one of our toilets busted last night. Oh fun. Has someone put a hex on us 40-somethings?

*looks around suspiciously*

Playoff football tonight, looking forward to it!

You might be right! Thankfully my house is okay, but the Finnish Center where I volunteer a water pipe burst and it is a great big mess and some of the offices smell awful! I was the jinx :( :(

Sum38
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Marlene Both of my kids have three passports; Finland, US and Australia. So the world is their playground. They would receive a free education anywhere in Europe, and we are encouraging them to take advantage of that. So far they are not as daring as I was...and in a way it is making me feel sad. I wish my kids were to come home and say, hey I want to spent a year in Madrid/Paris/Tuscany/Stockholm..... We lived in London for a few years and they miss all the travels we did, but still they are not interested in spending some university time over there. If DH and I retire in Europe, perhaps they will follow???

Leeh
01-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Ha! My husband switched office buildings just before Christmas. He told me the water main broke in his old building just this past weekend so they have no water until it is repaired.

Water Water everywhere how much will you drink?

Sum38
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Definitely water issues... we had a joint in the shower to slip a few months back; water poured into the downstair's loo and they had to completely re drywall the whole bathroom....No more water problems for us 40 somethings, please.

I ate sooo much yesterday and day before that I am still stuffed and have no appetite. Unfortunately I am meeting someone for lunch, do you think it would be horrible just to have tea??? :eek: My gf is pregnant and she can eat a whole cow right now :D I think she would probably not mind if I skipped lunch. She is there to meet me anyways... I don't feel like eating and forcing food down sounds like a bad idea. -- I usually fast once per week, and today seem to be a logical fasting day for me. I just don't want to make the other party feel awkward. I'll see once I get there.

Moondance
01-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Happy Tuesday! :D

Last week was a complete wash! Finally felt better on Saturday. Went to the Bronco game on Sunday, so back on-plan yesterday. Got to the gym and didn't cough up a lung on the treadmill, so all is good again.

I am struggling with motivation. It's hard to get excited when I know my path to success is a long one. I'm in the "fake it till you make it" stage.

So glad to see all the familiar faces. I'll work on getting caught up this week. Hello to the newbies. You may all be glad to hear Spring is only 64 days away!

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Pretty good day off. Didn't get exercise in yet. I walked a lot with appointments am at 5500 steps. My goal is 12000 so I have catch-up to do. D Plan on doing a Leslie Sansone video and walking while catching up on sleepy hollow. Just need the kids to go to bed. Pouring like mad otherwise I would go out for a walk. Should have this am.
Good(tasty not healthy) dinner tonight. Pulled pork sandwich. I only ate a half a one. Small serving of potato salad. Baked beans, green beans and Pickled peach from my visit to my sister. She sent me home with a jar.
The kids had endocrinologist appointments. DD thyroid is more enlarged than DS's but her disease went undiagnosed for longer. The new doctor was very nice and both kids seemed to like her.
Will do personals tomorrow.
Hi to all.

Jenn0507
01-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Hi Ladies!

The last month and half has kept me from posting. I'm glad the holidays are over, as it is the worst time of the year for me, I have S.A.D. I may be losing the temp job I've had since May and my friends have shown their true colors and abandoned me. I'm not letting it get to me. I am starting my exercise tomorrow and have removed all the junk from my kitchen that I cannot resist.

I'm planning on moving in June, getting a second part time job, joining a gym and getting involved in Meetup.com events to make new friends. Crazy maybe, but I want to be thinner and happier for all that. Losing weight will give me the confidence and positive attitude to get my life back on track.

kelijpa
01-14-2014, 08:30 PM
:wave: hello all,
We had leaks on the cold water side of both sinks in the bathroom, so hopefully that was our water issue, I was afraid to post for a couple seconds til I remembered we already had our water issue :lol:

Trying to get a good routine going, some days are better than others, overall feel like things are going well.

Carma, our rail trail is paved, with grass on either side of the pavement, it's only 2 miles, but quite nice, they're talking about expanding it another couple of miles, which would be nice, especially for biking. The snow drifts across a little bit, but they keep it pretty clear. We're lucky to have it nearby.

MarleneV
01-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Sum, how old are your kids? Both of mine want to travel, and we are encouraging. I wish I had the opportunity to take just a semester off and go to another country like they do. Back when I went to school, people would go for their complete college experience, or more likely come here to the US from some other country, but a semester was not that common.

Free tuition is a great thing... seeing as I just sent another $9K off to the older one's school for this semester for tuition, room, board & books. At least she's at a state school and not a private one.

newleaf123
01-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Fortunately no water problems here, unless you count a dishwasher that is *still* acting up... aaarghh!

Maybe it's a regional thing, since when I was in college, it was quite common to go abroad for a semester or a year. I did a semester in Japan in '86, my sister did a year in London in '85, my brother did a year in Madrid in '83 -- and we all went to different colleges. Gah... so long ago now.

Much like others, I'm ebbing and flowing over here. Did the elliptical for 45 min today. Yay!

Mrs Snark
01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
I wish I'd traveled abroad during my education. But the most traveling I did during college was Fort Lauderdale during spring break. That was like visiting an alien planet, though. A drunk, naked alien planet.

Magicsusan
01-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Lol, Mrs Snark. Drunk, naked, alien...

Hi everyone. Sorry to hear about your various water problems. Mine are mostly retention oriented :lol:

Moondance, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one counting the days till spring! How I miss my walks, but I'm a coward, and after breaking my foot on the stairs a few years ago, I try not to venture forth if there's any chance of slipperiness... So it's various youtube workouts on the carpet for me.

Life is plagued with problems- mostly 1st world, so I'm glad of that, but it's wearing me down. Often I come here and read and wish you all well, but just don't have much to say, so I don't write. I'm thinking of you all, though!

:wave:

mezmerelda
01-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Sorry for all the water problems. If I end up with them, I'll be quite annoyed. :)

Super busy here, keeping me from much online activity. Still able to get exercise and eat pretty well. Took Bowser (the rescue Swissy) skijoring over the weekend, and will do it again this weekend. I'm hoping to avoid breaking any bones before my vacation.

We get a spare dog this weekend, and will have her at our house while on vacation, and then for a few weeks when we get back. I just found out she has developed spay incontinence, so I'm guessing my house will smell horrible when I get back.

I will never look at Ft. Lauderdale the same way again.

Sheila22
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Hello Everyone!

Wanted to check in with you! I'm heading out on business for the night, but overall doing well. In fact, the scale was actually DOWN a little bit this morning! :D

I've been getting up early and getting on the treadmill - it's been really good - makes me feel like I'm "paying myself first" - - I am wearing my fitbit, and have been getting over 10K steps by about 1pm every day! :D

Food wise - still no alcohol, no starchy carbs - just sticking to fruit, veggies, fish and soy products (I eat way too much processed soy, but that's a vice I'll tackle later)... ;)

I'm flying out of state only for one night - ran this morning on the treadmill and decidedly will take tomorrow off - I won't get home until after 10:30pm, so I'm sure I'll get some airport walking time.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Sheila

Mrs Snark
01-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Great job Sheila! I love getting exercise out of the way first thing in the morning, it always sets a good tone for the day!

Sum38
01-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Marlene Kids are 19 and 17. They love to travel with us, but do no have initiative to travel independently. We encouraged both kids to take a leap year and travel and both of them declined. -- DS is declining because of the sheer amount of schooling he has ahead of him (he wants to be a doctor) and DD is more shy and she was not ready to conquer the world on her own. She still lives at home; she was not ready to leave for college. -- She may stay home for another year. I am not not totally heartbroken because she is saving us so much money. She goes to community college and lives at home...we are looking at $22000 savings per year, nothing to sneeze at.

I was so ready; I traveled the Europe independently at the age of 16 and packed my bags and moved to US at the age of 20.

Sum38
01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
I wonder if I have babied my kids too much and made them less independent than I was..... My DH would probably yes yes to that. :D

newleaf123
01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Sum I don't know if its you so much as society in general. It just seems like "kids today" (there goes the old lady in me) just don't have this fierce drive that kids of our generation did to break loose of their parents. Maybe we've done a better job of fostering good relationships with our kids such that they aren't counting the moments until they can flee? Dunno... I do expect my kids to get a job and move out shortly after graduating college, in the same mold as myself, my siblings, and my DH -- so one of things that I do is *voice* that expectation. But who knows, right? It's probably like how before kids you would say "my kids will NEVER..." and then you realize once you have kids that it's not so cut and dry.

MarleneV
01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
My girls are 19(freshman in college), and 17(junior in HS). They are older for their grade than most, because they were both July babies, and we lived in Indiana, which at the time had a June 1 birthday cutoff to start school.

The older is going for accounting to be a CPA, which is a 5 year (150 hour) requirement. But she's planning on going summers to try to get done in 4 years. She had 9 credits when she started too, from HS. The younger is trying to get either an Air Force or Navy ROTC and go for nursing.

My guess is that since they are a little older than their classmates, that helps. Plus, we've always encouraged them to be rather independent, even though we've had a good relationship with them.

And the hope that they get jobs and move out (stay out?) is always there. I actually moved back home after I graduated from college in 1987. The job market was pretty tough in Pittsburgh as the steel mills were all closing, it took me 5 months to find a job in my field (I did get a job in retail right after I took the CPA exam as I didn't have any prospects). When I did get an accounting job, my parents said as long as I was paying my loans and helped out with groceries, I could stay. My grandfather also lived with them. BUT, my mom was only 23 when she had me, I was 29 when my oldest was born, so I'm 6 years older, and already thinking of when I can retire... if they need to move back, it will be fine nd we'll work it out, but I hope they don't need to.

MarleneV
01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
I mentioned that the animal cracker monster came home ;)

I had opened a 1lb bag of them the day he left (he even took a huge handful in a sandwich bag with him), he was gone for 2.5 weeks, and when he got back on Saturday, there was still some of that bag left. On Monday morning, I opened a new bag to take some to work. That bag is now gone, and I had to open a new bag to pack my lunch for tomorrow.

Now... A serving is 16, but I only eat 8 at a time, and only 1 or sometimes 2 times a day. Monday, I had 16 total, Tuesday I had 10, Wednesday I had 8 and today I had 8. That's 42 in 4 days. In the bag, there are 15 servings of 16, or 240. That means he's eaten 198 in 4 days, or 50 a day. :mad: :mad: :mad:

He thinks it funny, but I don't, and it makes me very mad. I'm wondering if I bought a container to keep them in at work and kept my own private "stash" there if it would mitigate some of the aggravation I feel over this. I don't care that he eats them, I just care that he eats SO many SO fast. and I think I mostly care because I don't have that many treats, and I want these to be there when I want them.

Any other ideas?

TooWicky
01-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone! Water problems, lawd. Question for those that live in colder climates - do you have a shut off valve on the pipe that leads to the spigot outside? It's not common here where I live, but I was reading online and saw it mentioned. If you do, how far inside the house along that pipe is the cut off valve? Thanks!

Diet's going fine. I'm one pound away from no longer obese *tears.* Husband decided to lose 6 lbs and "try it my way" as in my way, so he's counting calories. He just texted me from the basement/mancave letting me know he's starving and can't believe I have done this for almost 10 months. Welcome to my world, handsome! I set him up on MyFitnessPal, which I had never even used myself. It looks very interesting; I think I'll make an account. He was traumatized by the nuisance of counting out some baked chips to figure out what one serving was, so he is already shopping for food scales.

My family growing up was of modest means. I was the first person in my family (on my Dad's side anyway) to graduate from college. I went away to college after graduating from high school at 17, and never came back. I went to college in the summers, too, and immediately found employment upon graduating (totally unrelated to my major.) I still live a life of modest means, although it's a very happy one :) It's scary to think of affording college for our children, like, beyond scary. They are in elementary school - who knows what an education will cost in a decade. We will be availing ourselves of every conceivable avenue to help guide our children to be set up in life, whether it's community college, athletic and academic scholarships, trade certification, military, you name it. I work part time in retail currently where I am surrounded by recent college graduates totally unable to find work and straight up saddled by horrendous student loans. We have a roomy enough home for our children to live here with us as long as need be so they aren't saddled with housing if they can't afford it when they start out in life. Hopefully they will, but if not, we have room! It sounds absolutely glorious to me that young adults would be able to travel abroad and I would so encourage them to do so! It's quite an opportunity.

MarleneV
01-16-2014, 11:56 PM
TooWicky, congrats on the 1 lb to get to that great milestone!

I use MFP, and love it. It makes it easy to track things. I use the iPhone app.

Honestly, I didn't know how we were going to pay for college either, at the point you are at. It seemed so far away at that point, and we really weren't making all that much money in a small town. Even after we moved to a larger city, it always seemed like we had other expenses. One day we woke up & the oldest was going to start her junior year in HS soon, and we had little saved. Luckily, my husband's business picked up about then, we'd managed to have all cars paid for (for a short time anyway), and we started to try to put $2000 per month aside. I had enough to cover the first 2 years when she started this past fall, and we continue to put $2500 per month away. I know not everyone can do that. She got some scholarship money. We qualified for a loan, but didn't want to do that. My advise is to start putting something away, in a separate account that is in your name. Kids accounts are counted higher than parent accounts for financial aid. We had put some money away when they were younger in accounts in their name, and have $3000-$4000 in those accounts that they will use for books and things like fraternity dues. Community colleges are a great deal. Our kids can take dual credit in HS through the community college and get some credits before graduation, and we only have to pay for the books, no tuition (covered by property taxes). State schools can be a great value. If the younger one doesn't get the ROTC that she's hoping for, we'll have to borrow some unless we somehow make more, but we'll get through it.

Edited to add - if they are interested in the military at all, and a high school they can go to offers junior ROTC, I highly recommend. It looks great on college applications, and if they decide to go directly in the military, once they get through boot camp, if they have done some years (I think junior & senior) in junior ROTC, they get 2 grade levels advancement over those who didn't do this during high school.

mezmerelda
01-17-2014, 10:20 AM
I lived w/my parents for 1 year after college. Enough time to save some money and find a roommate and place in Chicago to live. I was 23 when I moved out. My older brother lived at home until he was 28. He only found his own place because my parents were downsizing. Although they had a 2nd bedroom, it was really not an ideal situation. He moved out, but not w/o kicking and screaming.

I've noticed that the younger people (22-26) on my team are not as motivated or even as hard working as their older (32+) counterparts. They still get the job done, but they seem to expect that I will do the stuff they don't want to do for them, or that we'll tell them it's ok to bail and not work the extra hours when we're super busy. However, when I tell them to suck it up and do the work, they do. But they always look for the out.

At this time next week, I'll be on a plane (hopefully) heading down to BVI via Puerto Rico. :)

Sum38
01-17-2014, 02:31 PM
OMG...college costs just scare me and cause me stress each and every day. As I said, our son wants to be a doctor and we are hoping to help him out as much as we can. I know we will cover the first 4 years for both of the kids and then it remains to be seen. -- Ideally I would like them to graduate debt free. But then there is retirement to think about.... Our daughter is perfectly happy to be going to CC but our son wants to get the whole college experience, dorm life; life away from home, etc. -- He is going to a local college, he wanted to go away but out of state tuition is twice as much as in state. I could not justify spending $120K on his four year degree, when he can get a fab education right here in MI for $65K. -- He has taken a number of AP classes and if all works out, he will have his first year credits earned.

I wish I could just tell them to go where ever their heart desires....

I guess I will be driving my Mini for the next 10 years :D It is paid for.

MarleneV
01-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Sum, we are basically in the same place then on the college, or I'm just behind you... And it does cause stress. I have a car payment now, because I wrecked the one that I had that was paid off, and it wasn't worth fixing. I'm hoping I can pay some extra on it this year and some of next so that by the time DD#2 is ready to start, I'll have that $500 per month available. If not, I'll still have 5 payments left when she starts. We have committed to get them through their degree without saddling them with debt. The second one should be done in 5.5 years, and I'd LOVE to retire in 10, but unless we somehow make more $$, it's going to be at least 15...

MarleneV
01-18-2014, 12:41 AM
I figured out part of why I'm so bothered by the whole animal cracker issue... It used to be that when I bought chips & other junk, he would eat all of that stuff before I could get any. So, I started pigging out on it as soon as I got it home, to get "my fair share". This was a good part of the reason I gained the weight after the last time I had lost it, and then kept it on...

I don't get like this in regard to the stuff that I keep in my food cabinet that he doesn't mess with. When he buys stuff for himself, I don't eat that. So, I think buying some animal crackers for me and keeping in my office will solve my problem with it, because I'll know that I have some there even if all of the ones at home disappear.

And interestingly, they used to complain that I no long bought the junk, but I simply refused to since I wasn't eating it. Now, if they want it (even the kids), they have to buy it, and I don't touch it because it isn't "household" food, but their's.

Mrs Snark
01-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Marlene -- I think you have a good plan. The whole animal cracker situation would have made me crazy, so I think wherever you have to "hide" your stash, you should do it so they are there for you. Also, I think it is great you don't bring the junk into the house at all, that will help your kids in the long run, even though they may complain about it now.

FatAbbi
01-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Saturday: 1311 cal, 128carbs, 63.5 protein, 57.7fat, no wheat, no gluten
Sunday: 1266 cal, 99.5carbs, 54 protein, 65.7 fat, no wheat, no gluten

Bought a new scale today, so tomorrow morning I will weigh on it for the first time. Probably will have to adjust my weigh in lol

Sum38
01-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Anyone here takes measurements?

I lost a little bit in two weeks. The most exciting measurement; my hips.... I was 44/45 at my heaviest, now I am at 40 inches! I hope the next few weeks will bring me below 40, that will be one happy day! I am very curvy; even when I weigh very little, I have "juicy" hips :lol: I don't think I can get below 37/38 inches. My bones are too wide; I have a child bearing hips :rofl: -- I did give birth to a ten pounder.

My measurements are 39/31.5/40. I am still very think in my mid section :( That will be the last to go.... I would be perfectly happy to have a 28 inch waist.

What are you measurements? :)

sept2012
01-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Ladies,

It’s been a while… it’s good to see some familiar names on this tread and I hope I was not away so long that you all forgot me completely..
Long story short my Dad passed away in May and I went off the rail. Really cannot believe that when I was ready to face life again (just at the end of the year) the scale shows I have gained back ALL of the 30 LBS lost. Needless to say I was very unmotivated and unhappy to have to say this AGAIN out loud. Just goes to show emotional eating is my downfall and I know this and have to pay attention no matter how hard life gets.
At any rate my entire family said they were ready to say goodbye to 2013 and reset for 2014. I am not usually one to make crazy *** resolutions that I can’t keep. Instead I have learned to make goals for myself, each year that I can keep. So I set two of them for 2014. # 1. I promised myself I would go Wheat and Gluten Free this year. #2. I promised my nephew I would give up the smokes. He is 8 and very boisterous about me smoking (when did they teach kids to be so LOUD about adult things) . I told him that the next time he saw me (I saw him last at thanksgiving and won’t see him again until probably May) that Auntie would not be smoking anymore.
I feel good in saying that those two things have been accomplished. I have not stepped on the scale again since that day in Dec when I saw all of the weight was back. I have however cut out anything that looks, feels or smells like flour, wheat, gluten… that means no cookies or cakes or noodle of any kind. No breads or muffins or bagels not even a smidge of any of them. I have seemingly tricked my brain into a mode that when it looks at “Wheat” or what may have “gluten” in it - somehow I am saying no. I know a lot of people want to be judgmental about this approach but I did not set out to be low carb… its kinda just worked out that way. I have had a long time battle with hives and rashes, sinuses and so on… and I kind of always related it back to the wheat or the gluten I am not sure which one it really is… so they say if you think your allegoric remove it from your diet and you can try to incorporate it back in. I am not ready to reincorporate. I feel good. I am getting carbs from fruits and veggies so I think I am pretty safe there having freshly juiced juice at least once a day with decent sized servings of cucumbers, spinach, lemon , ginger and apples. Funny I used to only be able to do carrot, apple and lime… but now I kinda like it all.

At any rate sorry for rambling… I am back and I read the whole thread – everyone seems to be doing so good still…. Except for the breaks in legs and water heaters 

Dammit someone push my *** on the scale now… its time to stop hiding and time to start fighting for it again.

Have a great day
Joy

Sum38
01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Welcome back sept2012! I am so sorry about your father!
Sounds like that you are taking steps towards right direction what comes to your health. Good luck giving up the smokes. You will feel so much better once you do. I am gluten free (Ceiliac), and I must say it has become really easy to go GF. I barely eat GF products because they are loaded with high calories and many other junk flours. So be careful there.
Looking forward to getting to know you.

sept2012
01-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks Sum! I have been lurking around for a while. So weird but I felt embarassed to post again after gaining my weight back ---- you guys don't even know me so I don't know what I had to be embarassed about but that is also obviously one of my demons. I need to say it outloud... do it outloud and be it outloud and stop pussy-footing around.

I look forward to spending time with you all and getting to know what makes us all tick!

TooWicky
01-24-2014, 09:28 PM
sept2012, welcome back :hug: I don't remember you, as I am relatively new-ish to 3FC myself, but it's very nice to "meet" you. Condolences on the loss of your dad. I lost mine some years back, then a year later my only sister, and a year later my mom, all unexpected passings. The grief was so painful, and I was so traumatized by the losses, I was more concerned about making it through each day rather than what I was eating or not eating. I was obese before, certainly, but I became morbidly obese while grieving for a handful of years. I am so proud of you for being ready to face life and take care of yourself! You lost the weight before, so you already know you can do this. It took me so long to be ready to face the world again. I feel like I lost years. I am so happy you are "back." Sounds like you are making some excellent lifestyle and diet choices; best of luck to you :)

Sum38, I did, in fact, take my measurements for the first time ever this morning! They were a lot higher than I was expecting and I'm trying not to be a little demoralized by it. The upside of the numbers is that I go in at the waist, which is a big improvement for someone with an apple shape. Downside is, even though the numbers look like I am balanced, the hips number represents a weird spare tire situation >< Hopefully the spare tire will erm abate as I continue to lose weight, but that will leave me not so balanced looking for sure. I am 46/39/45. I feel huge compared to y'all!

Sum38
01-25-2014, 10:13 AM
You will be glad that you took your measurements TooWicky. Sometimes when the scale does not show movement, my measurements still go down and I draw strength from it. Actually last week was one of those weeks for me. Scale was up but measurements were down, and then my whoosh happened :)

sept2012 I am glad you are back to posting :hug: I have gained and regained my weight million and one times. Somehow I have stayed here, active... I guess it kept me from going totally over board. The challenges and accountability seem to help me. Join us on the Valentine's Day and Accountability thread. Many of us post their daily meals...keeps me from snacking when I know I have to write down what I ate and publish them to the world :lol:

More snow for us. This winter has truly been a real winter for us. I have loved it. I am a winter girl! I do like the other seasons as well, but I don't really mind the cold. Must be because I grew up in Finland in that cold and snow.

So off to my walk I go. It will be peaceful; falling snow and not that cold (21F; yay a heat wave).

sept2012
01-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Hey Ya'll

Actually kind of excited today. I have lived in Atlanta for 3 years now and the weather forcasters are usually off as far *** accurate weather goes… hahahaha we have all these crazy warnings for tornados and such and nothing ever happens here (not that I want a tornado but you know what I mean). At any rate it is supposed to snow an actual inch in metro Atlanta today. That is exciting to me! I love the snow...yes I have lived in it (in Boston) and I love it.

So yesterday was kind of a bummer I felt like a complete "addict" as I could not log into the site to post, or comment on any other posts and I could not update any stats. Finally they got my password fixed and I feel relieved to be "Back". One thing I saw (not being logged in) was som FALSE advertising and it totally bummed me out. Have any of you seen an advertisement for Dr. Oz Miracle Drug... something like “Dont Ever diet again --- just take this and you will look like him” ??? There was a picture of a guy. He is a Trainer. The Fat to Fit guy that gained like 70 lbs in 6 months and then lost it again so he could experience what it was like to be overweight. Now I am so disappointed because either Dr Oz is a douch or this guy is a douch for letting his pictures appear with this crazy link. I don't know what to believe as I watched his documentary and appreciated what he did on the other hand I love Dr Oz too..... Advertisement is the devil!

On another note the owner of my company just made my diet life so much easier. He has decided to cater both breakfast and lunch from here on out. Let me tell you how much pressure it takes off knowing all you have to do is show up to work and you have healthy choices for the two meals a day you spend in the office. Granted I am on a no wheat and no gluten diet so that means no flour, no binders, no sugar BUT the good news is there is an egg station for breakfast with some good yogurt choices and for lunch if I can’t eat what they have for the main meal at least I can have a FANATASIC fresh salad. Kudos to the owner of my company – finally a perk that EVERYONE can appreciate!

Sum – I am going to join the 1000 miles in 2014 challenge starting feb 1st. I am a runner at heart and my goal is to be a runner again by year end. I am going to purchase the nike fuel band as I already use their app for walking and tracking my miles and I love it.

TooWicky – thanks for the kind words and I am sorry about all of your loss as well. I feel like time does help, but I will never forget the love he gave me and I can still feel him and smell him sometimes so that is comforting. Its funny I will be sitting in my office and I get a wiff of his cologne and just say “Hi Dad” and then smile and go on about my day.

Have a great day!

Joy

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Welcome back sept2012: sorry on the loss of your dad. I lost mine at 19. I feel your pain on the stress eating. I managed to control my stress when my mother passed away in May and continued losing weight mostly because she wanted me to so much. Gained a little on vacation started getting control again and my mother in law came home on hospice. The combined my stress and watching my husbands stress made for a bad December. I put on 15 lbs. now I have some good days and bad days I think I can get control if I get below 210. Good for you quitting smoking. Your heart and lungs will thank you. I often think about gluten free. Haven't committed yet.

Sum: lol on the heat wave. You are inspiring me to measure myself. So far today 6000 steps going to go for a walk run in a few. I bought a mask to help with the cold.

Too wicky: I will measure tonight I think we may be close in size.

Fatabbi: your doing great

Marlene: hide the animal crackers at work. I keep a treat stash for me to have with my tea in the afternoon. I like the the kids have to buy the junk. I have gone to buying only 100 calorie snacks. My husband however lets the kids have whatever. Hopefully his labwork shows his his need to lose. He is 297 last check.

Mrs snark: wishing I was in Florida now.

Heidi: how is the job going? I am assuming keeping you busy since no posts.

Zumbachica: I thought of you when I did Zumba core on my ds xbox. Not a pretty picture.

Mezmerelda: hope you made it to BVI.

Hi to anyone I missed.

Mrs Snark
01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Sept2012 - I am not a fan of Dr. Oz. My personal feeling is that he promotes alot of quackery. Waaaay too much quackery.

FatAbbi
01-29-2014, 02:56 PM
No gluten, no wheat, no fast food..... day 27 now (one El Pollo Loco trip 3 weeks ago), but so far so good. For about 10 days now I have tracked my calories, carbs, protein and fats. I have found I eat between 850-1330 calories a day, not bad. I feel good, fighting a chest cold but foodwise life is great. I hope it continues. I feel like this last 50lbs is 100x worse than the first 79. UGH. But I can do it. I will do it!!! aaahhhhh

sept2012
01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
FatAbbie - You go girl! and change your name from FatAbbi to SlimAbbi :) the power of intention!!!

Michelle - I know about Dr Oz, but its a pick and choose thing for me. Somethings I am like yea... that is right and others not so much but that picture I talked about was false adverstisitng somewhere :)

Sum38
01-29-2014, 04:28 PM
I am a total slave of my scale...but how is this possible.... I was 141.8 pounds this am. I had some water and tea through out the day. Maybe 24 oz of water and 16 oz of tea. Say 2.5 pounds worth liquid. I went pee a few times. Total weight with my liquid should come to 144.5 minus pee. I was freaking 146 pounds when I got home. -- Each time I go to FCA I gain "weight". Is it the sitting I do all day long? But where did the extra 1.5 come from?? Isn't it mathematically impossible.

No, I had nothing to eat all day. I was not hungry this morning and then I got so busy at the center that I had no time to eat.

Frustrating.

shr1nk1ngme
01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Are you a Breatharian? Maybe you are gaining weight from the air that you breathe? lol

Our bodies are so weird. Shouldn't even be physically possible, as you say. Just weird. Don't let it get you down. What counts is the overall trend over time. Over a long period of time. Months.

Now I need to remember that I just said that when I get on the scale again tomorrow morning.

Also, Note To Self: never weigh myself in the afternoon or even in the morning after drinking fluids.

Mrs Snark
01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Sum -- think of yourself as a sponge, able to absorb liquid from the air around you.

There. Does that help? ;)

Chubby mum
01-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Sum, the scale does this to me when I'm stabilising after a bigger than usual loss. Not so much this time as I've not really whooshed but after the last baby I'd have a big loss then be all over the place for a few days afterwards. Overall though the downward trend continued.

I haven't weighed since last Friday but I'm looking forward to it- pretty sure I've lost.

sept2012
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
All I have to say is... what a shame.... I am in ATL amongst all of the BS that has happened in the last few days with Snow and Ice. Its sad we live in 2014 and a whole city can be brought to its knees and shut down by a few inches of snow. I have never seen such insanity in my life! SPEECHLESS. Thankfully I live .8 miles from work and I walked in yesterday. Sucky thing is between TOM and walking I gained 3.1 lbs with no change in my eating! That too is insanity!

TooWicky
01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Sept2012, I lived in Atlanta for some years after college. I do not miss the traffic at all, and that's without any snow to speak of! It must be a sight to see to witness people actually walking. That's the most car-centric city I've ever lived in. People will drive two blocks rather than walk it, lol. Disclaimer: I am one of those people.

I am on day 5 of no soda. I don't drink a whole lot of it anyway, but I recently went through a spell where I was consuming more than my usual ½-1 can a day. I have been drinking almost exclusively water, with the exception of one partial glass of Powerade Zero. I'm just trying it out. I can report that I do feel better on water only, plus my facial skin looks better. I can tell I was leaning on the diet soda as my "sweet" for the day, which I miss. Speaking of sweets, my daughter is in Girl Scouts for the first time this year. It's cookie sales time! Not ideal for the dieter to say the least. I just helped her sort 80 boxes :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Magicsusan
02-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi, Sept2012!
I remember you! I'm glad you're back; sorry you lost your dad. (((hug))) Also totally get you on the stress eating thing. I don't post much these days, but I'm lurking around, keeping tabs on you all (in the most loving possible way, he he.)

Toowicky- Girl Scout Cookies! Be strong, woman. You can do it! Who needs a Somoa, anyway. All that coconut just gets stuck in your teeth...

Chubby Mum, crossing my fingers for you, although since it's Saturday here, I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have already reported to the weigh in thread... I'll just pop over and look...

The rest of you; I want a scale that looks like a chibi jam-toast and giggles when I get on. something friendly. Think there's a market for that? No? Prolly not... Oh well.

FatAbbi
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM
8 lbs gone in January. I'm excited for February!

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Congrats Abbi, That's awesome. Great job.

Mrs Snark
02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I just spent 10 minutes googling "Chibi Jam" and "Chibi Jam-Toast" and I have to say I still have no clue what that is. But I like the sound of it.

And I would *love* a scale that giggles.

Magicsusan
02-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Sorry, Ms. Snark. Was thinking of something like this:

http://www.threadless.com/product/672/mmmh_Delicious

Magicsusan
02-02-2014, 05:32 AM
:carrot:

Ha ha, well I'm ******* doomed; my birthday is this week and so far this morning my eldest has announced that she will be making cupcakes for my birthday and my neighbour (a domestic goddess by all accounts) has brought me a lemon cake, still hot from the oven.

I was just thinking of starting a spring break challenge because I'm going to the states (beach!) in two months.

I am sooooooooooooo doomed!

:frypan::rofl:

Sum38
02-02-2014, 07:39 AM
FatAbbi woohoo! 8 pounds is awesome!!

Susan are you going to FL?

We have had so much snow, last few years our winters have been quite snow free and I have looked forward to our out west ski vacation, this is not so much...lol Plenty of this white stuff here at home. -- This year I wished I was going somewhere warm. :brr:

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Sum: Last year we got hammered with snow. This year we have had snow but a lot of cold brittle temps. Then a warm tease then brutal cold again. I will be going somewhere warm but not until May. Cruise to Bermuda.

Magicsusan: Fingers crossed for your birthday week.

Sept: I was a little shocked about Atlanta too. However apparently they don't get a ton of snow and when they do they are paralyzed. It was a bunch of ice too though wasn't it. Gladly you survived unscathed.

TooWicky: great job on 5 days no soda. Feels good doesn't it? I for the most part drink water or tea. I do occasionally have soda though. Usually fresca. Occasionally diet coke.

Mrs Snark
02-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Sorry, Ms. Snark. Was thinking of something like this:

http://www.threadless.com/product/672/mmmh_Delicious

Well that is totally adorable!

sept2012
02-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Sum what area are you in? Atlanta has been a weather rollercoaster this year. WEEKS with no sun - the weather people said 8 weeks straight where our weekends had NO SUN. I thought I would go mad. Then you all know about the "snow storm" and then today it is 60 and raining... I was born and raised in HOT weather (Palm Springs, CA) and right now I am kinda wishing I booked a poolside vaca too (where the sun is a forsure thing).

Toowicky - Ahhhhhh. the girlscout cookie wagon has hit our office this week too. hahaha I don't even want them but I have in the past and I get the pull so stay strong!

Mrs Snark - I want a scale that talks to me!! Is there one?? Hahaha I would pay money to have one tell me good job or oink at me if it goes up!

Magicsusan! Oh NOOOOO thats like my worst nightmare cause how can you say no to those people who love you??? Hahaha take some to work and share!!! Or invite the neighbor and her whole family for a nice meal and serve her cake ahahahaha! Sorry I am the girl who shows she loves you with baking too. One of my favorite things to do (My dream is to meet Buddy the cake boss I LOVE HIM). Happy Birthday anyway!!

Abbi - GOOD JOB!!! Some jealousy over here. I am f-ing around with the same 5 lbs for the past week or so up and down up and down... I would like to get past that part and just move on all ready! Good for you!

soon2beskinnyCarma
02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Scale was good to me post super bowl. Plan worked. 211.6. However my exercise class was cancelled due to a snow storm we got. So now I will have to do 4500 steps in my house. Not sure if I will do a Leslie Sansone video on you tube or check something else out. I may have to go and clean the basement play room which I hope to turn into an exercise room so I can have some exercise without the family around. I have gotten to liking my Mondays where it is just me. Especially the yoga class. Oh well I told my husband I would go on Wednesday instead.

Sum38
02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
sept2012 I am in Michigan, about an hour north of Detroit. I bet Atlanta is totally helpless what comes to snow. What a crazy winter, eh? -- We are supposed to get another snowstorm tonight.

CarmaCongrats on you weigh-in! Woot!

Not much is happening here, just trying to stay warm. I pulled a long day at the FCA (Finnish Center Association) yesterday and today I am feeling lazy. I will get my workouts in, and I need to run some errands.

sept2012
02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Sum - I have friends in Michigan. I just saw a post that he had to dig through 18" of snow to get to his BBQ. Thought that was funny. Who BBQ's in the snow?? Oh I guess friends from Southern California do... You know its BBQ weather there right now.

So I am on a mission to move in some way shape or form every day in February. And to weigh myself every single day in February. On day 4 and so far so good. I need to see some results by the end of the month so I don't go insane. Anyone else doing challenges this month???

So my dog came back from the kennel with of course “the COUGH”. Its ugly and I feel so bad for him. He barley ate the whole time he was gone and now I am making him boiled chicken, rice and chicken broth. He is eating and the cough has subsided, but he is still really tired and sneezes a lot. I am hoping that I can nurse him back to health without having to take him to the vet. I know dogs are different that humans but the fact of the matter is I don’t use antibiotics (unless I can’t cure myself) and I kinda feel the same way about him… is that bad? I have had him for 10 years and he has never once been sick so I am gonna give the no vet thing a gamble for a couple of more days and then if the sneezing does not subside I will take him in. Anyone have any input?

Sum38
02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
I do the daily weigh in challenge with Gardernerjoy, and I am failing miserably. I was hoping to be down to 141 by now that I could possibly reach my 6 pound loss for the month, but nope I am still at 144 and I don't think 9 pounds will happen.

Plus I have the V-Day challenge thread going. It is an accountability thread as well...you should join it!

BTW, I love to BBQ during winter months :D Right now my deck is too snowy though. There is at least 2 feet of snow out there. Maybe I will get motivated enough and shovel it out :)

Poor puppy! Hugs to him!

Magicsusan
02-05-2014, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! :hat:

Sum, I'm going to the outer banks; was there once about a quarter of a century ago and am looking forward to doing it again.

Carma, Sept2012 and everybody else, the cake thing didn't turn out too badly; I asked daughter to make a small batch, and she and other daughter managed to find a recipe for only a dozen and then halved it. Was perfect. The icing was aqua. Yummy, without the destructive properties of an entire cake hanging around the house, begging to be "evened up," NWIM?

and Sept2012, I also bake- I knew where they were all coming from, it was just a mad coincidence that my two best friends *and* my eldest daughter all spontaneously baked me something this year...

Carma, I hear you on the exercising solo. We all need a little "me" time. My kids are teens, so it's easy to do it before they get up or after they've gone to school..

Don't envy you all your snow; can't stand the stuff. I am sooooo ready for spring; I miss my walkies, and I don't do walkies when it's below 10c.

sept2012
02-05-2014, 08:55 AM
I took my first spin class in 10 years yesterday. With mixed emotions I saddled my bum on that hard bike seat and followed the instructor (for the most part) for 47:00 minutes. Needless to say I was pretty proud of myself; during the class there was some numbing in my rear and I kept thinking I am gonna hate myself tomorrow - surprise I don't hate myself today. I am not that sore. I may have hyperextented a knee a bit but that is mendable and the rest of me just feels accomplished. I forgot how much I enjoy that class. I get a high like I am invincible. I will be going back - this week :)

Sum38
02-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Where is Hedi with our new Feb. chat thread? :)

More snow, and roads are super slippery. I decided going against to the FCA. The long drive in slippery conditions did not appeal to me. So instead of it, I will go and swim at the gym this morning.

I never thought I would say this; but I am tired of snow! My walks are so difficult. I have to wade though a foot of snow each day (up hill, both ways :rofl:) and it is getting to me. I want my easier and relaxing walks back. I do my exercise at the gym, walks are just a bonus. I don't walk that fast any longer (outdoors) but I take my time and smell the roses. -- So please Weather Gods, let this winter end soon!

newleaf123
02-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Must have had a premonition... Checked into this thread for the first time in a long time... Here goes..,