Beck Diet Solution - Free Yourself DeClutter Challenge:New Year 2014-Vernal Equinox aka Spring-Mar 20.

onebyone
01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Free yourself. Make a decision about the part of your environment that weighs on you the most and take the steps to change it in the direction you want to go. Let's see what we can get done before we welcome Spring in March.

onebyone
01-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Hello DeClutterers and Organizers-welcome to the 1st challenge of 2014.
I was considering not starting this but here I am, moving stuff around, making headway while making a mess and any progress I have made has been via this board so, here I, and hopefully we, go again.

Today I made leaps forward in several areas: new livingroom seating from Ikea: a chaise lounge! I have wanted this decadent piece of furniture for over a decade. I'm thrilled to finally have one.

I removed a bookcase for donation and replaced it with a pantry with doors. I moved the pantry from the dining room to the back bedroom. great. I needed the space for two new buffets that I need to assemble. Since I can't find any screwdrivers (incredible) I am forced to delay the buffets until I have some.

BUT all the stuff that was piled up is now shoved into new spaces so I have to keep on this until I empty out boxes and actually reduce that pile. The good thing is I have nothing more to sort after this is done. I'm in the final push. It could take the year, but everytime I solve something it's moving me to my end goal: a calm peaceful home full of beautiful inspiring things that can accept visitors without causing me to feel fear, anxiety, embarrasment or shame.

What's your goal? What space would you like to reclaim for yourself?

EasySpirit
01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Thank you for this thread!

I have decluttered my kitchen cabinets and drawers and my clothes closets. It is now time to tackle a huge walk-in closet in a spare bedroom. It is FAIRLY neatly organized, but completely FILLED with seasonal paperware, wrapping paper, cute baking pans in different shapes, Tupperware carry things for cakes, cupcakes, etc. It also holds old hair dryers, picnic items, beach towels, sand chairs, CDs, seasonal decorations, step-stools, extra bathroom supplies bought on sale, fancy dinnerware for twenty that I have not used since moving here in 1989. It has items I have not looked at since my break-up - - the worst time of my life. I know it is FINALLY time to move on, and have been working on that for the past three years. After gaining SEVENTY pounds, I have managed to take off 35 of that. I have found a new group of friends - not close friends, but people to go to the movies, shopping , etc. with.

Sorry this has gone a bit off subject.

helping rachel
01-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi OnebyOne and Easy Spirit!

I am thankful for this space to share my goals,intentions, action or stuckness. S

I would like to get my attic all cleaned out. Somethings should be sold on Craigslist or something similar. I am kind of afraid to use something like that but I have band instruments and some really nice sports equipment, that I just don't want to give away. I am going to start in the Closet in the spare bedroom. I simply need to give away some clothes. My needs that I would like to meet are Ease and goodwill toward those i will give away things to. I am working tomorrow and will begin with a plan to share one here.

Glad to hear what you both are targeting and it will be one movement at a time toward what the desired goal is…..

onebyone
01-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Hello EasySpirit and helping rachel. So happy to have you join me here! I believe my house is weighing me down and it contributes to me not feeling good about myself, like a secret shame, and this kind of thing fuels my desire to eat in many different ways. I need to deal with it, and with myself. I appreciate the company along the way. I look forward to sharing our progress!

systemsaddict
01-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Oh I am excited to see this thread on the Beck forum! Can I join in? Why is it that clutter and food issues go together ... My new daily / weekly routine plan includes both food stuff and house stuff, and if either of these go wrong, they both do. I have made big progress on both over the past week or so, now to stick with the routine and keep it going once work hits.

onebyone
01-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Systemaddict welcome!Feel free to post your routine or the steps you need to take to get to where you want to go. Beck is all about planning and carrying things through day after day after day and getting right back on track if things get out of hand now and again.

onebyone
01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone.

The plan for today is to assemble the rest of the furniture. I read the instructions last night and went out to get a screwdriver with asst. bits so I am ready to go. As a bonus, I have decluttered two cubes in my 16 cube shelving unit by sorting then using 2 of the 6 new fabric drawers that fit into the shelves. My sister suggested I try this solution and it works! Looks great! and it gives me a punch of coral red that I love. My chaise area is really shaping up. *credit*

So after the side tables are made I will be moving thin gs around to get them into place. It may be a major shift as I might switch out the current tv stand with these buffets. moving the tv cabinet into the dining room area. We'll see. Better get moving. I need these made today. Tomorrow is a planned day to get back on track with the other moving parts of my life.

Lexxiss
01-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Beck is all about planning and carrying things through day after day after day and getting right back on track if things get out of hand now and again.

Hi Everyone! I consider myself in maintenance after more than a few years of decluttering. For me, I have committed to everyday tasks through many seasons now. I try to do something everyday because I find that if I don't I start heading in the other direction very quickly. Finding time was essential for me and I find that my greatest success is found when I spend 15-20 minutes in the morning before I head out to work. I am inspired here, and I've learned lots of tips from the flyladywebsite. My normal routine in the morning is to do dishes, make the bed and do "something" with laundry. As far as laundry goes it can be in the hamper, in the washer or in the dryer BUT once it's out of the dryer it gets folded and put away-pronto. It saves me alot of time in the end.

I'm still working very hard on my mom's rental projects, which just continues to reinforce keeping things current. She hadn't done work on any of them for years and now it's having to happen all at once. Fortunately, applying daily tasks to these projects they are finishing one by one.

So, here I am, doing my stuff everyday, although I probably won't post every day. I have to keep pushing forward with the rentals. What is most challenging to me is that I have always had a tendancy to start things but not follow through and finish. I am the sole decision maker with these projects and have a budget which won't pay for someone else to do all the work, although I do have helpers. I try to use them wisely and have to persist and do everything that I can do myself. credit.

Even so, my home needs care. Yesterday I looked around and decided to start the New YEar with a room to room. I cleaned and organized in the dog/laundry room. It looks so much nicer. Afterwards, I had some spare time so I vacuumed and picked up in the bedroom and tv room. 3 rooms down and I'll keep moving forward. This morning I did some decluttering in the kitchen and dining room.

I have found that one of the most beneficial things for me was to actually switch my brain on a daily basis to wanting/needing less. Although the major decluttering is done, I always have a thrift box so I can easily place items that don't serve me anymore. yesterday I put 4 or 5 items in as I worked in the laundry room....several baking items I never use and a pair of earrings a customer gave me that I will never wear. Every item adds up. When I was at our other home last week I was looking for a swimsuit. I had 5 extras, none of which fit properly....They all went to thrift. credit.

Take care everyone!

onebyone, I love your new chaise by the bookcase. IT looks very comfy and inviting!

silverbirch
01-04-2014, 08:41 AM
I always have a thrift box so I can easily place items that don't serve me anymore.

We always have a charity shop bag to put unwanted items in. It makes things very efficient, I've found. When it's full, I put it in the car and take it to a charity shop when I'm passing.

Happy New Year, All!

I've been whirling around this morning, tidying things away, putting in the charity bag and so on. The DB has also worked on this, as well as his English homework. The SO is also on board.

My main aim is to paint the kitchen wall. This was replastered in late October and the kitchen hasn't been put back together since. It can take until the vernal equinox (although sooner would be better) as long as it gets done.

After this, I'll do the sitting room. It's the same story.

onebyone, I love the chaise longue too.

onebyone
01-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Always great to hear from you Lexxiss and you too Silverbirch :)

The phrase "you can't organize clutter" keeps running through my head, meaning, if you have too much stuff, you just have too much stuff and some stuff just has to go. I need to keep this front and center as I approach the task of reducing my box pile. Since the new cabinets will be completed soon, my next job is to reclaim the kitchen and to clean off the futon in the back room.

Must go. Will check in later.

SeeMyFeet
01-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Hello all,

I would like to "free myself"; however, I have to confess, I'm not a Becker. I haven't read the books, but I have peeked into the Beck forum every so often. So can I join in?

My area of concern is our office and all finances. To my liberated chagrin, I have left most of the household budget issues with DH since we started a family. He has done a fine job, but is not nearly as tidy and organized as I am. Also, I constantly have that "out of control" feeling. I'm not sure I can finish the job to my satisfaction by spring, but I need to get started.

First place to start: the office closet. One shelf at a time.

Lexxiss
01-05-2014, 08:26 AM
SeeMyFeet, Welcome! Anyone is welcome here! I can say getting my office organized has made a world of difference. I got rid of all the old/outdated stuff and found a way with my newfound space to organize and access what I needed to keep. It is very freeing!

The phrase "you can't organize clutter" keeps running through my head, meaning, if you have too much stuff, you just have too much stuff and some stuff just has to go. I need to keep this front and center as I approach the task of reducing my box pile. Since the new cabinets will be completed soon, my next job is to reclaim the kitchen and to clean off the futon in the back room.

I do agree with this. I firmly believe that I could not be maintaining the way I am had I chosen to try and organize everything I "had". As I started letting go of "stuff" that had been precious to me and "stuff" that I might need someday I gave myself permission to go acquire that item again should I ever truly miss it. In over two years I haven't repurchased anything and have not woken up one time pining for something I let go of.

This is what flyladysaid, which really struck home with me;

"Why is that we feel we have to hold onto everything?

This stuff is suffocating our creativity and holding us back from what we are really supposed to be doing. It is so hard to clean house when you have clutter everywhere!

Anything can become clutter when you don't use it, don't love it, and you don't have a place for it. We collect things because we think we may need them one day. All this does is clog up our homes and our lives. That clutter becomes a stumbling block to our daily routines. It gets in the way of living. We become the caretaker of stuff instead of living our lives. We have a choice; our houses can become a museum, a landfill or a home!"

Why would I want to pay money to store stuff that would make it even more difficult to use/access? I chose to repurpose I can say it's a wonderful feeling.

Well, yesterday after work I had some time to myself. DH had to go back up to the project. I wanted to make quinoa (15 min) and so I took out the mini-vac and delved into the corner lazy susan in the kitchen. I took everything out, looked at everything, got rid of some stuff and cleaned. It looks fantastic!
I have noticed many times during the last declutter challenge that although I'm keeping stuff clean and organized on the "outside" that I have many storage spaces that aren't seen by anyone but me that bug me now.
I think I'm going to focus on those unseen spaces for awhile. One at a time is all I need to undertake. By the end of this challenge they will all be done. Yay!

Today, it's time to switch my files to 2014. Here's my new process:
I have all our personal papers in 3 files
1. Bills Paid
2. Credit cards paid
3. Statements (bank/financial)

I created this system last year and it worked perfectly!1. make new files for the current year.
2. go through the previous year files and get rid of all bills/papers that arent' necessary to keep (shred)
~I keep all bank statements
~I keep electric bills for the big house (history of usage $$)
~I go through credit card statements and only keep ones that have tax decuctible purchases
3. I condense all that's left to one file labeled 2013 and put it in the office cabinet
4. I move the oldest year I need to keep to the basement file (2007) and when I get there I take 2006 and bring it up for shredding, although I keep the tax file forever.

That's my project for this morning....why wait? :dancer:

onebyone
01-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Hello and Good Morning

I finished my cabinets last night *credit* and just moved boxes out of the way so I could place the two cabinets in place, side by side. Now, for some unknown reason, the cabinets are not exactly the same height but there are adjustments I can make to get them that way.

O Ikea, this is why I suffer for you.

I alos *credit* cleared off the futon in the back room collapsing two boxes and sorting through 3 bags, most of which ended up in the trash. I did move a few things into a newly created/located pile, but the main goal here was to clear the futon so DH can move the bookcase from the kitchen, where it sits cutting off all the flow in that room, into the closet in the backroom. I did my bit. *credit* DH now needs to take it from here.

The rest of today's work goes as follows:
1) OPEN THREE BOXES MARKED "BOOKS-SMALL BEDROOM" done
2) sort each box into giveaway and keep done
3) place books onto shelving unit by chaise done
4) break down these boxes for recycling

5) open 2 more boxes with unknown contents done &this is as far as I got today.*credit*
6) sort these boxes into giveaway, trash and keep
7) distribute or re-box.

NOTE: EVEN IF I RE-BOX IT IS *NOT* a failure as I have decreased my overall clutter by one box. THIS IS Progress NOT Perfection and slowly it will get done.

If I want to continue, I can work on the clothes pile in the bedroom which is totally out of control now. Again
1) sort into keep clean, keep wash, giveaway and throw away(don't think I have any of that in there but you never know)
2)put away clothes and whatever else I find

onebyone
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM
SeeMyFeet welcome! Glad you've joined us. I think it's wise to tackle things in small bits. Just keep at it, stay focused, and it will get done. What the Beck folks do is give themselves credit for taking specific actions to get us toward our goals. Make a plan, post it here, and then take credit for the steps that are complete. That way you cannot dismiss the whole thing as not good enough, or when you feel overwhelmed about a lack of progress or it gets hard or whatever, you can come here and see you are making progress and it is just a sabotaging thought -also a Beck strategy: to recognize when we are having sabotaging thoughts and to ignore them. I am easily discouraged by housework/clutter/organization but I am improving and each step I take brings me that much closer to my ideal.

Flylady is a definite help as Lexxiss mentioned. Without her I don't think I would have ever started this process. She recommends working for 15min intervals-setting a timer and stopping when it goes off. You didn't create your clutter in a day and it won't be gone in a day. She's also a big fan of not aiming for perfection. Trying to be perfect often stops us from even starting. I am a big fan of good enough for now--and later I can make it better. I do both now. *credit*

SeeMyFeet
01-05-2014, 12:09 PM
H'lo all! Thanks for the welcomes! (We LOVE Glenwood, Lexxiss!) Flylady sounds like my DH. Whenever we work on a project, he works to the clock. I work until the project is finished. Needless to say, in the early days of our marriage, this difference in working styles caused some degree of resentments on my part, until I realized that his way was, in many ways, better. However, if I cannot finish a project, many times it ends up being abandoned as I deal with the latest crisis, so that is still my tendency.

My plan for today is to do TWO shelves in the office closet.....because I did not get the ONE done yesterday! I imbibed in a bit of creative procrastination/avoidance yesterday.....and I worked up a sweat doing so! My major goal this weekend is to help organize/clean the kids' rooms in preparation for school starting tomorrow. Too small clothing goes in a box that will be placed in the garage sale area. The office closet is where we keep the school supplies, so that MUST be done in order for this goal to be considered complete. My creative "avoidance" was to modify DS's desk to include a shelf on top. This has been on my to-do list for some little time. The shelf will hold his monitors so he can have more working space on his desk. I also affixed a drooping curtain rod in his room--this involved a good bit of drywall work. I only have to do some touch-up painting on the desk today, and his room is done! (I'll have to take a picture of his desk for you. It turned out so much nicer than I imagined. His desk was an office castaway, and all the shelving was from scraps, so that pile is also reduced!)

I will think about a list to post here. Such a good feeling to cross things off a list!

Lexxiss
01-06-2014, 08:41 AM
From Dr. Beck posted on our monthly thread this morning (ThxBBE!)

what are you thinking?
Use the following helpful responses to common sabotaging thoughts to create inspiration for making additional cards.
Sabotaging Thought: What's the use of walking for only five minutes?
Helpful Response: Walking for five minutes is better than walking for zero minutes. Exercise is essential, even if I don't do very much at first. I can build up the amount that I do over time, but I have to start somewhere.

It reminds me just how I can apply the Beck steps to my decluttering and home maintenance.
All I need to do is replace the word walking with cleaning or decluttering.
I didn't have much time this morning but I did my essentials...laundry, bed made, and kitchen picked up. Additionally, I took a small box which holds all my kitchen clips and cleaned and dried it. It is done. It took 3 minutes but I will notice it's new and clean status every time I reach for a clip. Credit.

SeeMyFeet, Glenwood is my most favorite place in the entire planet! How many times have you visited? My DH and I, too, have different styles. It's been an unspoken challenge for me to integrate him into the everyday workings of our home and I'm pleased to say it's working. We are coming together to achieve "my" goals in our home. I say my goals because he doesn't really care yet he is certainly a part of the process.

Gotta get to work!

onebyone
01-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Declutterers, Hi.

I took a break from all the boxes and the putting things away. About all I did to move forward it remove the bookcase from the kitchen into the back bedroom for DH. I'm still at a loss as to what to do with the stuff in boxes, but I think I am going to open two more boxes tonight. See what appears.

I'm mopey today. It's so very cold and the wind is howling around the house. I did find a box full of handmade books my friend and I did as a project for well over a year. I think I will pick 12 of my favorites and make us calendars from them. So far I only have a calendar from a chinese restaurant and one from the Dion's Gas Station in Key West. I want one that's more personal that either of those.

Bye for now.

Lexxiss
01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
I was up early today out on my front porch with a heat gun taking old paint off cabinet doors. It's not that I love that kind of job it's just that I know it's the only way that this project will ever finish. I did come in for coffee breaks and sanding but fortunately I didn't look at the thermometer until I was finished.... It was a muggy 17 lol.
Now after an hour drive I'm sitting in the car waiting for my mom to finish her eye appointment. A stop at Home Depot then back home for an afternoon of work. We are going to have a massive declutter at the project before we start the kitchen countertop tomorrow morning.
The declutter was my suggestion since I've found we all work better when our space is more organized. We have lots of supplies and equipment that we are totally finished with on this project so will move them across the street for our start on the third rental. I'm thinking our cleanup today will help us recognize how far we've come and be able to see more clearly what we still need to finish. I have a list of small tasks that would be nice to put behind us so will do those today, too.
I guess I must have anticipated this all yesterday because I made a special effort at home to get all my chores done. I cleaned and two drawers one in my dining room and one in my kitchen. I found more than a few things I could pitch and put some others in the thrift box. Credit.

onebyone
01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Declutterers, Hi.

I completely distributed two more boxes and broke them down. *credit* thats 5 totally gone as three went with the garbage man today. I have one more that I am reusing for things to bring to the studio.

I got frustrated though and just shoved some things into the cabinet. I dont think this is good, but on the other hand it really looks like I am making progress.

I counted the boxes in my shrinking pile which I havent touched and it looks to be 9. Only 9. I am willing to open two more tonight. I can feel the end of the box issue. This doesnt mean I have dealt with all my boxes. Several were opened and left that way. But I am getting a clearer idea of what exactly I am dealing with and so I can sort this stuff into like things or activities. I know the next logical step will make itself known to me.

My next looming task is the taxes. We are way behind. I need to find an accountant. DH is vehemently against an accountant for some unknown reason but at this stage of our life together, we need one. So I am going to find one and go on my own first. Like getting the chaise lounge, DH was on the fence, leaning toward the negative end and now that its here he sees the value of it--ditto for the cabinets. Sometimes we do know what to do and should just do it.

Bye for now.

Lexxiss
01-09-2014, 07:43 AM
onebyone, I was at the job site last night and was majorly frustrated. I took 5 to check in at 3FC. It always helps. I saw your title, Tough but I am Tougher....it really helped me through. Thx for posting! The declutter didn't happen because I got back too late from my moms appt AND DH wanted to finish the cabinet work in his shop. I couldn't find anything so I regrouped AND finished the part of the painting which would allow the cabinet doors to be installed today. credit.

THE DECLUTTER WILL HAPPEN AT THE JOB SITE TODAY!

I got up early to a cluttery home. I "wanted" to just go to the job site and paint but I've taken time to do my daily essentials (dishes,laundry) plus an extra (I washed the dog bed and got it dried and back in place). Credit.
I had a moment to think through just how much those daily essentials help me. When I woke up there were dishes and laundry everywhere. It looked unmanageable. After I sorted the clothes in my office and put them in their proper place the clutter was gone. After I picked up all the dishes from upstairs and took them down and washed them, that clutter was gone, too. The bedroom still looked astray....I made the bed and that was fixed, too. I'm liking the word "essentials" right now because it's what I need to do everyday to make my home liveable. The extra projects move me forward.

onebyone, kudos to you for whittling down the boxes. Earlier in my decluttering I did exactly what you have done. Consolidated, thrifted, trashed and recycled. Then I often found room in a closet or corner to put a box knowing I would need to deal with it further. It still helped.

OK, off to paint.

onebyone
01-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Declutterers!

So this morning is a studio morning. My friend is coming to get me so I don't wiggle out of this. I will be out of the house until 1ish but that still gives me lots of time to tackle some of the clutter. I'm committing to dealing, completely, with 2 previously unopened boxes. I remembered this morning that I have a whole set of drawers at the studio that are sitting empty. I now know what will go there. It solves more than one of those "I don't know what to do with you" box dilemmas.

Lexxiss :hug: so many ongoing challenges. You are doing so great! Often I find too that the mess that I think is so out of control cleans up really quickly once I just accept it and deal with it. My greatest kudos to you for your ongoing efforts to keep things in good order. Awesome. I hope your renovation project makes a great leap forward today!

Lexxiss
01-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Onebyone, I'm excited to how your day went.

Yesterday morning I dealt with my Escentuals at home then went up to the project early. I was prepared to get to my painting right away. Instead I spent some time by myself picking up organizing and decluttering the project. I'm glad I did, it made everything so much more workable. Credit.

Late in the afternoon my helper and I headed over to the big box store for major supplies. We were going to pick up the new countertop. I suggested that we stop at the restore first. They were having a sale on lighting and we got six or seven light fixtures plus a kitchen sink with faucet for $86. It was a major score! I love both the idea of saving money and reusing items instead of purchasing new.

My coworker bought a leather loveseat at the restore which we hauled home for her instead of getting the countertops. I'm going for the countertops soon. As I perused the furniture I found a forest green leather chair. Instead of making an impulse purchase I decided to come home and really think it through. After talking it over with DH we decided it would be a nice addition. I will still give it one more look at before I purchase it but am going to give it a go when I go up to pick up the last light fixture today.

It's one of those mornings when I think I don't have time to do my essentials but the reason I'm calling them essentials is because it's important that I do them every day. Now that I think about it I've already started the laundry done the dishes and all I need to do is make the bed. Credit.

onebyone
01-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Decluttering Friends, Hello!

Late night post but I realized I haven't checked in in a bit so here I am before bed.

I've been re-focused on art work and other things are sliding by the wayside.

I did do two more boxes *credit* and broke down some boxes too. Because of my recent cleanup and retrieval of books from boxes I was able to go to my shelves and find what I needed in order to get going on my artwork. I'll take a *credit* for decluttering/tackling the boxes for that. It's been a long time since I could do that.

Have a great night.

systemsaddict
01-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Hi guys, it's Sunday morning here and according to my weekly food and activities planning the weekend is my decluttering time. Today's things that will be done are:

Daily maintenance:
- Reclaim the kitchen
- Put the dry laundry away and do 2 loads of clothes

Decluttering:
- Finish putting Christmas away - and I will not beat myself up for missing the 6th Jan to do this
- Surface declutter downstairs
- Some garden pruning, if the weather is OK for that.

Lexxiss
01-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Hi Everyone!

I hadn't gotten to posting but I continue to do my essentials (laundry, dishes, make bed) every day, even though life has gotten busier. I also make an effort every day to keep my current clutter at bay. Friday I brought all kinds of misc. stuff from the car into the house. Instead of letting it all sit, I persisted and put everything away. credit.

I'm off to the project this morning.

systemsaddict
01-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Reporting back in:

Daily maintenance:
- Reclaim the kitchen - yes, pretty much. Or at least, dishes are up to date and counters are clear.
- Put the dry laundry away and do 2 loads of clothes - 2 loads of clothes washed and hung up. Dry laundry still around the house though.

Decluttering:
- Finish putting Christmas away - and I will not beat myself up for missing the 6th Jan to do this ... Or indeed the 12th Jan. Did a bit more but there is still a Christmas tree to dismantle.
- Surface declutter downstairs - made a start; we can now see the living room floor.
- Some garden pruning, if the weather is OK for that. - Weather was perfect. Did lots and lots of this, filled up the garden refuse bin completely. Found a 2m high wild rose bush entangled in an old privet hedge which is now freed up and should be lovely. And this year, for the first time since moving here 4 years ago, we should be able to see the view properly even when the hedges are in leaf.

So I didn't do everything, but all the house stuff can be done any time, the garden stuff is much more weather dependent so it makes sense to have done a lot of that on a good day. I'd be happier if I'd done everything (of course) but giving myself credit for what I did. Will check back in next weekend!

Lexxiss
01-13-2014, 05:10 AM
Yay systemaddict! ! Good for you not beating yourself up over a perceived imperfection. I think it's great that Beck teaches us to give ourselves credit for our progress forward.

onebyone, great job with the boxes!

I took down the Christmas tree this morning. Since I had done a big D clutter and reorganization of all my Christmas stuff in the fall of 2012 this was year two of putting everything away in an organized fashion. It's done and it feels good.

In the process I went ahead and hauled some other things to the basement that needed to go:
Our shop vac which had been at the project
Several cans of paint that had been at the project
A small (and very cute) cast-iron sink that I found at the restore last week. It will be for the coffee bar that we already have plumbed into the kitchen but it will be a while before I get to that project. Lol

Right now I'm sitting very happily on my new or near new leather chair from the restore. After we got it home I looked around and found the manufacturer tag. It was made in the United States and when I looked online these chairs are about $3000 new. That made me extremely happy about my $100 purchase!

I will do my essentials today before I go to work. It's too early to mill around and wake DH. I will note that although it's early I've had plenty of rest. I had kind of planned this time yesterday and so I went to bed early. I find when I get home from a busy day at work I'm just too tired to jump into these projects

Lexxiss
01-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Hi!

I did my essentials this morning, which also included child proofing the downstairs for granddaughters possible visit this afternoon. I "thought" I didn't have time for the cat box.....determination....sometimes it's just easier to push on through and get stuff done. I did it AND hauled the trash from outside to the car while I was at it. Credit.

My thought this morning was about how my essentials help me. They are a routine and the way I declutter and continue to maintain my clear space is with a routine. When I do my essentials everyday they don't add up and when they don't add up I have time and energy to work on other things.

Take care!

onebyone
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
D clutterers, Hi! (thnx for the short form Lexxiss ;) )

Ok so no progress the last few days. I've been busy getting other parts of my house in order. It's going to be garbage day again so once more I have extra cardboard to cut down *credit for emptying boxes from before* and I'd like to toss a couple more into the mix so tonight I will open and empty two more boxes. I will also do one sinkload of dishes and out them away.

See ya's!

gardenerjoy
01-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm reviving my 10 minutes a day practice to tackle this long-term filing project. It's the only thing that's ever worked. I think that if I can manage it 80-90% of the days between now and the vernal equinox, it will be done! And done would be very good indeed.

1-14: done

Lexxiss
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Glad to see you back, gardenerjoy! Those short 10 minutes really add up if you log them every day!

onebyone, when you said, "Ok, no progress the last few days" then I read on, I saw lots of progress! Credit.

Me, this is as much of a day off as I get. We're leaving at 10:15 for Denver. Mom has dr appts and DH is going to stay w/his DD and GD. DD is pregnant and hurt her back yesterday. He's going to stay for moral support and babysit when she visits the chiro.

OK, essentials....made the bed as soon as we got up. Laundry and dishes are done.
I took to a project this morning which required sewing machine, right color thread, scissors, hem ripper and SPACE. I had all....I put elbow patches on DH's favorite sweatshirt which made him very happy then I fixed a pair of his long johns, too. I looked to see if I could mend anything for myself and my stuff was already done. credit.

I love love love having time and space to do projects.

Yesterday after work I was headed to the library...remembered a procrastination at city hall. I went to CH first then picked up two nice books. Both chores crossed off my list.

In my "free" time this morning, I also made a double batch of granola, DH's favorite. I can eat it in very limited quantities. I'm out of supplies for more so I made a list and I'll p/u today. That way I'll have it the next time I need it.

Take care all!

Lexxiss
01-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Yesterday was a bugger....long day, lots of driving and lots of emotional stuff. Lots of shopping for stuff we can't get up here. I haven't fully unpacked groceries but all the perishables were taken care of. credit.

We slept in late, which was good because both of us needed rest. We have 4 full days ahead to see how close we can come to finishing the current rental. I found myself drawing from that "determination" I mentioned a day or two ago. I got the dishes done while coffee was making, made the bed while DH was stirring upstairs. I picked up stuff on my back and forth trips up and down stairs. I folded all the clean laundry and put it away. I will be glad when I return home tonight that I found the time.

My extra today is a paperwork thingie that needs a phone call. Once it's done I can file it instead of it sitting by the computer.

I WILL put away dry goods when I return home today. credit.

I always reflect on "why" I am doing these essentials every day, which does, even though I don't mention it, include keeping the kitchen sink clean (alaflylady). Keeping these things current frees me for other things. I honestly don't think my successes at the rentals would have been so great these past 3 months without my determination to keep my own home in order.

Bye-off to project land.

Lexxiss
01-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi DClutterers!

I'm checking in....hoping for some company...:lol:

We have 4 full days ahead to see how close we can come to finishing the current rental. I found myself drawing from that "determination" I mentioned a day or two ago. I got the dishes done while coffee was making, made the bed while DH was stirring upstairs. I picked up stuff on my back and forth trips up and down stairs. I folded all the clean laundry and put it away. I will be glad when I return home tonight that I found the time.

I always reflect on "why" I am doing these essentials every day, which does, even though I don't mention it, include keeping the kitchen sink clean (alaflylady). Keeping these things current frees me for other things. I honestly don't think my successes at the rentals would have been so great these past 3 months without my determination to keep my own home in order.

These past days have been so busy and I haven't found the proper alignment of all the "stars" to post. This is the busiest time at the ski resorts and when all of Denver is pouring in and out of the mountains the cell towers just can't accomodate lil' ol me wanting to get online before I leave or after I get home. Oh, Well.

I quoted from my previous post because it's exactly how I've managed these past 3 days. My essentials have been accomplished every day. Credit.
We've made progress at the project even with an electrical "crisis" of sorts yesterday. It's the first time in months I felt I was near an anxiety attack. We took time to work through the problem and gratefully it is not as bad as it could have been. I am so grateful.
My helper and my DH are both taking today off and I thought about it. Then I looked at the calendar. Our drop dead-line is 31 January AND my siblings fly in for 4 days a week from Monday. By thinking ahead and planning it out I went up early this morning and put the 1st coat of finish on the hardwood floor in the 1 finished bedroom .Credit. It looks good and I can enjoy some "free time" inbetween. My next coat is at 10:30 with the final coat at 4 or 5. That's doable and it's given me back some self confidence after yesterdays temporary setback.

Anyone else doing anything? No matter how small it seems....anything accomplished is progress forward.

silverbirch
01-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Yes, there are three bags of stuff to go to the charity shop tomorrow. Unwanted Christmas gifts, clothes which have been outgrown, books which we've read and won't again.

I've done all the to-do things which were piled up on the filing cabinet. I've ironed some (summer) clothes which have been waiting for many weeks.

The SO has been at home for both days this weekend and he was last weekend too. This makes all the difference in being able to dig down into things which need to be done rather than just doing the basics along the surface.

Lexxiss
01-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Kudos, silverbirch, and thanks for joining me! I was solo at the project today and when I hit a discouraging moment I checked in and your words AND actions inspired me to carry on. Thanks!
Yes, all those bags carried out move you forward....simplicity is the word that comes to my mind. As the bags go out it will become far simpler to manage the items that stay in your home.
Onward and upward!

systemsaddict
01-20-2014, 12:27 AM
Very quick weekend check-in. The Christmas tree is down :) The rest of my weekend decluttering time was mostly spent trying to unblock a drain outside - and getting caught back up on laundry (not really decluttering but the laundry spread around the house was very cluttery!). Hoping to get more done next weekend.

silverbirch
01-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Kudos, silverbirch, and thanks for joining me! I was solo at the project today and when I hit a discouraging moment I checked in and your words AND actions inspired me to carry on. Thanks!
Yes, all those bags carried out move you forward....simplicity is the word that comes to my mind. As the bags go out it will become far simpler to manage the items that stay in your home.
Onward and upward!

I agree completely with 'simplicity'. That's what I'm striving for. It makes things much more straightforward and easy. In this very small house it's essential.

Glad I could help out with the rental project! :hug: How many more houses to go??

:wave: systemsaddict! I quite understand about laundry all over the place. Ours is on the line if possible or corralled in the grand-sounding garden room. Getting a dehumidifier (to help with general damp) has made a big difference to our lives. I think our health is better.

silverbirch
01-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Just calling in again briefly to thank you, Debbie, for telling us how you do the essentials. I had five minutes before I had to leave for my Italian class this evening. Lasagne in the oven on a timer, fire lit and some washing up still to be done. I set another timer for five minutes and cleared half of it. So when I got in, and the SO had just got in after biking up a freezing hill in the dark and the DB was keen for food, there was a bit of space to dish the food out. And less washing up to do in a moment. Thanks for being a role model!

shcirerf
01-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi all! Vent/rant ahead. I have a clutter issue, but it's not my clutter. It's my 74 yo mothers clutter. OMG! It's quickly turning into a hoarding situation!

And now, my 96 yo grandmother has gone to the nursing home, and well it's a mess.

Gramma's house is actually fairly neat and clean, but my sisters and I know, that Mom is going to want all the pics and old letters and so on. That's fine, but she has no where to put it because here house is overflowing!

Anyway, we did get Gramma's bed, which is better than Mom's switched for Mom's old crappy one. And Mom willingly sorted through all her clothes, and got rid of some stuff.

But it's all the d**n paper. EVERYWHERE! She's a retired librarian, books, newspapers magazines, and on and on. She saves old papers and mags, because she might want to read something again, and never gets rid of a book. We offered to get her a Kindle. YOu'd have thought we asked her to cut off her left leg! She wants to hold the *book* and turn the pages, we told her a Kindle will make a swoosh sound when you swipe for the next page.

So, Saturday afternoon, myself and one of my sisters, were spiffing up the kitchen, and Mom is like "you don't have to do that." Me, "yes I do, it's a mess, you can't see the counter, and all this clutter, drives me NUTS!" "You can't find anything." And the toaster had so many crumbs in it, it was a major fire hazard!

And Mom says, "it doesn't bother me." She actually said she simply did not care about the mess. *rolls eyes*

Her explanation was, and she said this! In a former life, she was rich and had servants and in this life, as an only child, her Mom did everything, and she does not like to do housework and does not care if it's a mess.

She was sorta joking about the former life. She's not totally nuts, but I think she has invented that as a hall pass.
Toss in her bad back, and Vicadin. Yay!

And then she used to toll paint so the basement is full of old wood, and paint and pattern books, and brushes, that half is a trail from here to there. The bedroom down there is full of crap. The laundry room is a heebie jeebie jumble of antique Tupperware, and long unused stock pots, and dust bunnies the size of buffalo! Along with at least 4 extra coffee pots, and another several extra glass carafes, just in case the one she is using takes a dive or she breaks a pot.

And her dog has been sneaking down to the basement and pooping in the bedroom.

So, now that we have to get things squared away with Gramma's property, it's game on. THe physical part of this mess is up to me and my 2 sisters, and we will willingly do it. But, along with Gramma's, we've got to get Mom's dunged out as well.

The thing is, since Gramma is on Medicare/Medicade, there is a time limit to get her home cleaned out and sold. So, we're now "game on!"

My sisters and I are more than willing to do all of this, but getting Mom on board with some things is going to be an issue!

It's not that I'm not sentimental, and I do understand saving certain things, but not all of it for the love of God!

Lexxiss
01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
It's amazing what one can accomplish in 5 minutes! I use the timer quite often.

This morning I accomplished my essentials despite running behind. What was left to do was clear off the kitchen counters. DH was home sick and I told myself he would feel better when he came downstairs. I believe he did.

I did some project organizing from work. I have the next few days mapped out. I will probably not post tomorrow. I'm going to work at the restaurant, come home for dinner then go to the project to put finish on floors in 3 bedrooms. Don't want such a long day but its the only choice to stay on schedule. I'm taking it one day at a time.

I will, however, find time for coffee, some quiet time and for my essentials. Credit

Tonight I counted the seconds it took me to put away my condiments from dinner. It was under a minute. I did it while food was already plated. Much easier than in the morning.

Ton

Lexxiss
01-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Hello!

My second project is finished and the new tenants moved in yesterday. I continue to keep up with my daily chores because I want to keep the new life I've been granted through decluttering. Saturday the DD and family decided they were coming up to make us dinner, since I had been working so much. They had already arrived when I pulled in. The house wasn't perfect but my 3 essentials were done and made things look pretty good.

I have one more project to go. We've moved all our materials over. We're taking about a week off inbetween.

I'm not going to post here anymore. That is, unless someone shows up who is interested in daily accountability and daily action. I am committed and focused and would gladly join in with a daily buddy, if one appears but I think my time will be better spent elsewhere until someone else appears.

Spring is coming!

silverbirch
01-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Great news about the project, Debbie! Please will you remind me what your three essentials are? Mine are washing up, hanging up laundry washed overnight and a quick tidy round.

I was thinking about this thread about half an hour ago when I sorted out a file marked 'moving' from 2000-01. We didn't move, in the end, and so I've got rid of the file. Credit!

I'll call in here from time to time. I hope all you other declutterers are doing well.

Lexxiss
01-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Silverbirch, my 3 essentials are dishes, laundry(to next stage) and bed made.

EasySpirit
01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
I set the timer for 20 minutes for the essentials every morning......bed made, laundry started, newspapers away, dishes in or out of dishwasher, coffee pot cleaned.

Twice a year I go through my clothes and shoes. Unfortunately, I keep too many clothes that I no longer fit into, and I hate to throw away shoes. I have donated most of the clothes that I bought when I was sure I would squeeze into them in a few weeks, but cannot seem to let go of others. I must admit I have beautiful jackets and sweaters that are at least ten years old with the tags still on. Why do I keep those while managing to donate so many others? I think the name brand does it, but I am not really sure.
I think I need to start doing those two chores three or four times a year.

OK Lizzy
01-28-2014, 03:19 PM
How I wish I had known there was a thread here! This was one of my New Year's resolutions -- which has somehow become derailed! Like a few of you have stated, I truly believe that my unhappiness with my cluttered HOUSE is impeding my weight loss -- or at the very least, making it more difficult to stay on plan. I started the new year on a good note -- cleaned out a few drawers and a few boxes of clothes (which barely made a dent in a closet), then -- stopped. Not easy to get de-cluttered when you are married to a pack rat, but I can't blame him for everything, can I, lol? He's not the one who has boxes of fabric from my sewing years, the boxes of books that "I can't bear to get rid of", the closet full of old paperwork from my Mom's last few years (she passed away FIVE years ago!) So here I go again -- thanks for the inspiration! By the way, some of you have mentioned "flylady", which is a great resource. Have you visited "Be More with Less"? Another fantastic site when you're needing a shot in the arm. That lady is amazing!

shcirerf
01-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Good evening declutterers! Is that a word? :D

Anyway, my sisters and I are working with Mom, to get through all of the issues with taking care of cleaning out Grandmothers house, and helping Mom with her clutter.

It is an odd situation. Grandma is a clean, tidy person, even now, in the nursing home, fussy about her clothes, hair, makeup and everything just so. Mom, :dizzy: is a hoarder! My sisters and I while some days, life gives us a full trash can, and laundry here and there, and sink full of dirty dishes, it never lasts very long. 2 days, max, and gotta clean sweep. We don't have the time to be unorganized.

Mom has actually been pretty good about not wanting to move all of Grandma's stuff to her house, so that's a win.

But trying to convince Mom, that her house need to be cleaner and more clutter free, not so much. She just does not care.

I could handle a bit of clutter, but it's to the point, that for her, at her age it's a health, and safety issue. The house is a fire trap! Not to mention a food, health hazard!

Sisters and I are practicing patience, while encouraging Mom to let us help out more. She is getting more receptive, but it will be a time consuming project.

So, for those of you who do struggle with the clutter issue, could you help me with advice, on how, is the best way to go about helping an older, and somewhat, disabled family member, who has entirely to much "stuff"?

donijo23
01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Hello all!
I started the new year by cleaning out my room. I put a new coat of paint on the wall. What is great is that I didnt realize how a new fun color paint can have you put a new look on things. I also got a new dresser to replace my awesome 3 drawer rubbermaid bin that i have been using for the last 3 years. I love it!

Lexxiss
01-29-2014, 11:23 AM
But trying to convince Mom, that her house need to be cleaner and more clutter free, not so much. She just does not care.

I could handle a bit of clutter, but it's to the point, that for her, at her age it's a health, and safety issue. The house is a fire trap! Not to mention a food, health hazard!

Sisters and I are practicing patience, while encouraging Mom to let us help out more. She is getting more receptive, but it will be a time consuming project.

So, for those of you who do struggle with the clutter issue, could you help me with advice, on how, is the best way to go about helping an older, and somewhat, disabled family member, who has entirely to much "stuff"?

shcirerf, I can only share my experience w/my mom...she traditionally had alot of stuff and just kept bringing it in. Siblings tried for years to clean up and haul out just to have more come in. Finally, at 92, she's quit bringing stuff in which helps. Finally accepting I could not change her behavior brought me to the point where I decided to really deal with my own home issues. That said, my moms house is not, in my opinion, a fire, health or safety hazard. It's not real clean, I don't like to cook/eat over there but there is a difference with what you're describing. If your mom's place IS a health,fire and safety hazard and she is resistant to change (I don't know her age) you might need to seek professional help....perhaps counseling for you and siblings or a clutter specialist. I just don't have any other ideas. Since this thread is for individuals working on changing their own personal behaviors it's about the only area I'd be able to help with. I have learned I'm powerless to change anyone else.

silverbirch
01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
shcirerf, what excellent news that your mother doesn't want to import any of your grandma's stuff!

My uncle (87) has things in his house which should go but it's not a health or fire hazard (but see below). If he gives me anything to get rid of I call it a victory. I don't judge and tell him what has to go but I stand around helpfully. I'm his (will) executor so at the end of the day it'll be my duty to sort out his things. I'm finding 'being' with his things quite helpful in that regard.

When I'm in the area (I live a few hundred miles away) I go round when I'm going to the tip for my mother and ask him if there's anything to go. Sometimes there is. He's given me a handful of plastic carrier bags. Or some packaging. Or one or two glass jars. Once we had a lovely time in his box room going through an old wardrobe and reminiscing - and lots of things went that day. He specially likes it if my son (13) comes with me because he was very helpful, running up and down stairs, that day with the wardrobe.

There was a fire hazard for some length of time. Everyone could smell gas except my uncle but no-one rang the Gas Board. I did, long distance, and the engineers came and condemned his fire and his cooker. I've never told any of my family who all think it was an amazing coincidence that the engineers called that day. I think if it's seriously dangerous then one has to override one's elders and betters!

Like Debbie, I can see that it's impossible to change anyone. I've also learnt that the strangest things hold important memories which we can't go trampling over.

I suggest trying the, let's call it 'slip-streaming' method which I've used. That's when I'm taking some of my mother's stuff away and I try to get the same from my uncle. I have tried focusing it a bit more narrowly: "I've got loads of old newspapers in the car to go - do you have any?" And with this approach, I have to follow up with very careful comments of the 'this is from last week, have you read it?' kind.

If your mother is a little disabled, could you work on making the house more accessible for her? As in less clutter so less likely to fall or trip? You could perhaps move things out of the way first and then if they're in a different place (even out of sight) she might see them differently.

I know there are two (at least) chamber pots far under my uncle's stairs. When we've looked in there, I've said that's what I think they are and that we don't really use them any more, do we? But they're still there, wrapped in newspaper.

onebyone
01-31-2014, 04:44 PM
Hello Declutterers:

I've been out of town for the past week or so. Working in the print studio out of town it was clear to me that I can be very organized and very systematic, though it was a fight as I had to constantly course correct. I came home woith a renewed need to get my studio (outside my home but nearby) into good working order. I threw away two large garbage bags of stuff and soent 2 days organizing it and I came back to the same issues again and again and so I rented a very small storage locker, with DH's blessing, to hold my completed artwork and art materials that I will be using but not right now. In 6 months I will revisit the need/use of that locker but for now it has allowed me to empty my studio and it is *almost* completely ready for use. I have 2 rubbermaid bins and a large wooden crate that I need to go through and then I need to remove them once that's done. I ma dedicating myself to my artwork over the next 2 years and a studio that is ready for me is a big part of that. of course, having it be 1 degree when I arrive and having the temperature rise to 8C in 39 minutes and then 13C in an hour, all due to my new ceiling mounted heater, it's actually hopeful as my old heater raised temp by about 8 degrees. I am hopeful that with them both on, if the fuse doesn't blow, it will be a comfortable space.

At home I cleared the fridge of all expired stuff. It came to almost a garbage bag full. Geez. I didn't wipe down the shelves or anything else but that will come soon. I have also been working to keep up with the laundry, as I do mine and my mom's, and the pile of clothes/stuff in the bedroom is now half size. I will clear it away over the weekend. Also on the agenda is unearthing my kitchen table so I can read the paper at it in the morning and continuing with opening and sorting those boxes. Not that many to go. My sister will be coming for a visit at the end of February and it is a goal to have to cleared away by the time she arrives.

Bye for now.

onebyone
02-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Today I am taking several items from my apartment to my storage locker and to my studio. Once I come home I will move/sort the items that are preventing me from using the kitchen table. My goal is to be able to sit at the table with coffee tomorrow morning. I will keep that in mind as I chip away at it later today.

Update: I moved the items to the studio but held off on placing them into storage. One look at my studio and I know I can consolidate and toss a bit more. The weather was turning worse (freezing rain) so I didn't stay away as long as I had wanted to. As it was I saw two cars who couldn't manage very small hills or tight turns. I took it as a sign to get home.

gardenerjoy
02-04-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm going to try to get a daily streak and log going again. It's the only thing that has every worked for me!

4: disassembled the Wii and got it in a pile (was hoping for a box but need some input from DH first)

onebyone
02-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Decluttering Folks, Hello!

My studio is now fully functional and cleared out and inviting. Yesterday I spent a good 5 hours in there and it's feeling the way I want it to. That small storage locker has really helped. In the end I had 3 carloads of supplies/displays that are not disposable go there. I am ready to get down to some complicated challenging on-going projects now. I also started to display some of my inspirational objects: a postcard of Ai Wei Wei, (Chinese artist), I put up an extra shelf. I hung my giant woodblock carving on the wall to inspire me to make more of those, I put my white board up and put the cup hooks up at ceiling height to enable me to put up a clothesline to hang my prints on so they will dry. Now, the weather really needs to warm up! I wanted to paint one of my new dry-walled walls with chalkboard paint but the can says you need between 10C and 30C to cure the paint properly. When I go into the studio it is 1C to 3C and with my heaters it goes to between 13C and 18C, but that's so long as the heaters are going. It goes back down to 1-3C pretty fast after I leave so I can't really paint the walls. Sad! I have another 6 weeks probably to wait. I am very impatient these days. So, very happy to report a completed project here.

On to completing the apartment, getting rid of box mountain 2.0 and opening up the kitchen once again.

Lexxiss
02-05-2014, 07:23 AM
gardenerjoy, onebyone, great to see you both back!

I got up this morning and worked my way through the house. My coffee maker takes 12 minutes and I always challenge myself to see what I can get done while it brews. I got the kitchen picked up and as I headed upstairs with the laundry basket I recognized that this morning essentials routine is really a form of exercise. When I do it everyday it adds up. My scale reading was really good this morning-further proof to me that keeping my home decluttered/clean and organized really does have a positive effect on my weightloss goals. credit.

Today I'm going to measure in the basement for insulation. It's so cold right now and I'm realizing that it would be quite simple to start working on this project a little bit at a time. I hope to bring home a "bale". When that's put up I'll bring another. Baby steps!

onebyone
02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Hello everyone

I took the day off except for cooking from scratch. I managed to get all the garbage bagged and to the curb and I got a few blogposts done, the first in 6 weeks, so that's helping me declutter my mind! The day was just a washout plan-wise. Major snowstorm here disrupted my ceramic studio plans until tomorrow so I just did other enjoyable stuff. I need to have an active plan/schedule written down to get me moving so yeah, I need to do that again.

Lexxiss Happy to hear from you! which basement is getting insulated? One of the rental units? How are all your projects going and have you been able to get to those hot springs lately??

gardenerjoy
02-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Hi Lexxiss and onebyone! And, anyone who's lurking. (Jump on in!)
It makes me feel so happy, onebyone, that your studio is functioning!

4: disassembled the Wii and got it in a pile
5: moved Wii downstairs, clearing a small table in my study for something wonderful (that I don't know what is yet)

Lexxiss
02-06-2014, 09:07 AM
I overcame procrastination yesterday and went to bigbox and purchased insulation and the tile I need for another project. credit. This morning I've cleaned the sink and did some refrigerator rearranging. Trash is bagged for removal and I'll do my essentials.

gardenerjoy, yay for baby steps and excited for your Wii. When life calms down I, too, may invest. Did your filing get finished?

onebyone, we're starting work on rental #3 today. It's the one which had a water leak in the bathroom so we have some demolition before we see the extent of the damage. Even so, this is far smaller a project than the last. The insulation is for our home. We have a unfinished basement and there's no insulation in the floor joists. If I'm in the kitchen and it's dark I can tell if I've left the basement light on. Lol. I can also see the dining room lights when I'm downstairs. These renovation successes have really motivated me to do some extra work at home. We went to the hotsprings for 4 days last week-the last visit until this project is finished.

So I reflected for a moment on my essentials this morning.
Bed made-I notice how much nicer it is to crawl into bed at night AND it provides the perfect spot for daily laundry folding. I noticed this morning as I folded the laundry instead of leaving it for later.
Laundry-It felt good as I folded my "waitress" clothes this morning. They are put away and I don't need to panic when Saturday morning comes. I don't run out of stuff(socks/undies) and I know where everything is. I decluttered my drawers/closet so that there is a "spot" for everything. It goes there as soon as it's folded. I have 2 baskets-one for dirty/one for clean. No overflow anymore which makes it simple. When I'm looking at clothing to bring home I constantly ask myself how much do I really need. I used this same line when decluttering-how much do I really need.
Dishes done-sink cleaned-I find much less frustration in cooking OP when I keep up with this. As soon as it starts to get cluttered, I find myself less motivated to cook/eat what nourishes.

I'm grateful to continue to "make time". I can head out to work today and it's comforting to know I can come home, make dinner and relax. credit.

onebyone
02-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Hello

Lexxiss your check-in of your routine had me thinking the line "take time now and you'll make time later". You're totally on the button with that. It's not like I procrastinate on the extraordinary things, which I will do at times, but they come and go a few times a year. What FILLS my mind, takes my energy, and leaves me feeling less-than are all the small day to day things that go on and on and on in my avoidance of doing "right now". So, to turn your phrase around, they take my time now AND later... they don't go away and I can look forward to feeling BAD about myself cause I know I have to do it and haven't.
Now what sane person would willingly live like that?

Maybe I have finally hit some magic age/number that I know I don't have time to waste feeling bad anymore. Or having my precious mind and creative energy zapped by the dishes or not knowing/not deciding what to do with my own crap. Really, what a waste of time. Thanks so much to you, Lexxiss, and gardenerjoy and silverbirch and all the others who have joined in and posted on these on-going declutter threads. You guys all give me a measure of what to do and how to keep moving forward. Honestly whatever I have accomplished comes from my continued involvement here.

I have to get to bed. G'nite all.

gardenerjoy
02-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Lexxiss: no, the filing is still waiting to be done. Getting back to that is tomorrow's goal!

onebyone: Have you read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin? She writes a lot about how resolving what we feel bad about is a key to happiness -- lots of people who appear to be sane have a hard time resolving things.. She says that happiness takes thinking about what makes us feel good, feel bad, and feel right in atmosphere of growth. I've been able to get thinking on that to work well for me.

5: moved Wii downstairs, clearing a small table in my study for something wonderful (that I don't know what is yet)
6: straightened up for cleaning crew

Lexxiss
02-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Flyby this morning! Essentials done, even though I "considered" leaving them because I'm "in a hurry". In a hurry because I didn't rise early enough..."didn't plan". Once I started, it got done quickly and I'll be happier when I get home.

gardenerjoy, I will put that book on my list. I do notice that many of the "things" I have resolved in my life, specifically the condition of my home, do make me feel happier. I notice this daily.

onebyone, thanks for your insight on my comments. I do notice just what you said. I have made those essentials into a personal challenge. I do them as fast as I can and remember it's exercise. I am always thinking when I'm doing them....how could I be more efficient...do them faster....make less trips....etc.
The kitchen, for example, I try to use less pans....I've developed a routine where when I'm cooking I'm also cleaning up after myself instead of watching the food and tasting...tasting....tasting. I have a short list of items that never sit....my vitamix, food processor, kitchen knives, etc. If a pan is going to sit I fill it with water/soap and wash it the next time I come upon it. Lots of little things make life smoother. I decluttered the kitchen, got rid of lots of extras, and the extra storage space I found automatically decluttered the counters....trash goes out the first time it's full and I am going to the car....recycle goes out on pick up day EVEN if I don't think I have time....etc
Maybe you could think of ways to make the daily stuff easier and more fun.

Ok, gotta run!

gardenerjoy
02-07-2014, 11:57 PM
7: 10 minutes filing

gardenerjoy
02-09-2014, 12:16 AM
8: 10 minutes filing

Lexxiss
02-09-2014, 07:17 PM
2 of 3 essentials done this morning. I didn't make the bed...used up my time starting to clean the mini blinds from the project. I figured if I started now doing one or two each day it would be much more pleasant than being stuck with them all at the end.

Dinnertime.

gardenerjoy
02-09-2014, 11:27 PM
9: organized for the week

gardenerjoy
02-10-2014, 11:19 PM
10: 10 minutes filing

thirti4thirty
02-11-2014, 06:08 AM
I'm happy to find this thread. After months of lying on my stomach, I got up this morning to declutter. Came to 3fc to update my ticker and bam, I land on this thread.
I'm planning a thorough decluttering and changing my appartment all over.
I was not living, because of depression. Now that I've started seeing a psychologist and I'm on medication, I've decided to help myself a little.There's clutter EVERYWHERE in my house. I'm starting too late, but better too late than never. I'll start by taking out months of garbage and if I feel it's okay for anyone to come in without me feeling ashamed, I'll rent a professional to come in and clean.

onebyone
02-11-2014, 05:08 PM
thirti4thirty thanks for joining in. The only thing that has ever helped me make a change is to start with one small thing first, write it down and then cross it off my list as done. I need the writing part AND the crossing it off part. My brain so easily tells me it's not enough, or I have so much it doesn't even matter/didn't make a dent. It's all not true.

You'll see that several of us list what we intend to do, or what we have done here in this forum and this is how we stay accountable to ourselves and celebrate our successes. Thanks for posting.

AS FOR ME: today I am cutting up the cardoard boxes that have not made it to the garbage for two weeks. They are big boxes but they have got to go. They are taking up BIG space in this small apartment of mine. I am resistant as I loathe the sound of cutting up cardboard with a box cutter. But it has to be done. I even have the butcher's string that our town asks us to use to tie up the cardboard for the recycle guy. I can do that. Garbage day is Wednesday. I am also moving all the stuff out of the kitchen today and freeing up the kitchen table and chairs.

Time to face my stuff.

Sum38
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
OMG, I love this.

We moved from 4500 sq.ft to 2000 sq.ft...we decluttered everything!

gardenerjoy
02-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Hello thirti4thirty, onebyone, and Sum38! Great to see you all at our decluttering party!

11: 10 minutes filing

Lexxiss
02-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Hi All

I continue my 3 Essentials, needing to get back on track :lol: because I didn't make the bed two days in a row. Yesterday was especially busy-I was sitting in front of homedepot at 6am in the neighboring town and got dropped off at work....worked all day then went right back to the same town w/mom to get her grocery shopping done so I could cross that off the list. Got home and made our planned dinner then headed straight to bed. Even so, I picked up in the kitchen while dinner was in progress and put water in all the pans for soaking so I could easily clean up in the morning.

Beckskills at work.

Today I will declutter the entire house and do my 3 Essentials before we head to the jobsite. I look forward to coming home to a reorganized space.

thirti4thirty, welcome! I'm sorry you have had such a rough go of things and kudos to you to have posted here. What works for me is an everyday routine which gives me consistent progress forward. Sometimes I have a list sometimes I dont. I hope you continue posting with us.

onebyone
02-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi checking in with the phone=this will be short.
Credit: did dishes. Put them away.
Sorted through boxes in kitchen. Freed up kitchen table and most of the floor area.
Will continue tomorrow.

Bye for now.

gardenerjoy
02-12-2014, 11:39 PM
12: 10 minutes filing

Lexxiss
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Great job, onebyone & gardenerjoy!

My days are so busy I had to look back to yesterdays' post to see just what I had set out to do. Yes, I did my essentials and decluttered the house....and yes, it was a welcome sight when I got back home. credit.

Today I've done my essentials with DH's help. When I came upstairs he had already made the bed. I find the longer I work at this the more willing he is to pitch in. Nice.

I reflected on my laundry routine this morning. I noticed how great it feels to keep up. I also reflected on just what has helped to make this process so simple. Several things came to mind.
1. I no longer purchase items that need special treatment; ironing, separate washing, etc.
2. I buy my liquid detergent in bulk so I don't run out.
3. I have a basket for dirty and one for clean so I always know exactly what I have.
4. I don't let either basket overflow.
5. I decluttered closets and drawers so there is room for everything.
6. Once folded, I put away which helps me avoid "laundry confusion."
I like that I no longer have to scramble for work uniforms an hour before I need to head out the door.

I have extra time this morning. I will spend some time filing in my office.

gardenerjoy
02-13-2014, 11:29 PM
The Wii went to its new home where it's going to make two young ladies very happy!

13: Wii to new home

Lexxiss
02-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Kudos, gardenerjoy, for taking the steps to pass the Wii to someone who will enjoy it! Great that you're back to your daily filing project, too!

Another long day at the project with another "issue" to deal with. Plumbing/heating snafu. This morning I woke up pretty stressed....started worrying. I got to my morning routine and I'm feeling better now. I wish this project would end and instead more things just keep creeping up. Oh, well. I'll do my 3 Essentials before I head out for the day even though I just feel like walking out the door right now thinking 3 extra hours will solve the problem. It won't.

This morning, I find myself thinking how this all relates to my food plan. I feel more in control when I make a plan and eat within the parameters of MY plan.

gardenerjoy
02-14-2014, 11:20 PM
14: cleaned ceiling fan & other 2-story high nooks & crannies using shop vac with lots of extensions

Lexxiss
02-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Another long day at the project with another "issue" to deal with. Plumbing/heating snafu. This morning I woke up pretty stressed....started worrying. I got to my morning routine and I'm feeling better now. I wish this project would end and instead more things just keep creeping up. Oh, well. I'll do my 3 Essentials before I head out for the day even though I just feel like walking out the door right now thinking 3 extra hours will solve the problem. It won't.

It got worse before it got better-2 cracked bathtubs, many trips to hdepot and working until past 7 trying to get the bathtub to fit.....Good news is....the plumber wants to rent the place...soon AND we went through the unit and made a large list of things we thought had to be done that he doesn't feel necessary. There is beginning to be light at the end of THIS tunnel!
A great reason to let go of expectations/anticipations and take things one day at a time!

Today I work early at the restaurant. I've got to get doing. Despite that I've done my 2 Essentials (DH is still in bed). I wasn't home long enough yesterday to do much cluttering.

Lexxiss
02-16-2014, 08:55 AM
This morning required a declutter and I resisted the "I'll do it later" thought. 3 Essentials complete and I'm in the middle of the declutter. It's amazing how quickly it can re-accumulate if I don't stay on top of it. I'm headed up to the project soon and I'll be happy that I took the time when I return home.

silverbirch
02-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Following Joy's filing example, I'm working on a file a day. They were taken out of the wooden filing cabinet to be able to move it when plastering was done back in October. I intend to paint that room so that's why I haven't put them back. It's months later and they are still under the clothes rail in our bedroom. So I'm going through them one by one, throwing things away, and putting them back into the cabinet until I am actually on the point of painting.

CREDIT!

Lexxiss
02-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Following Joy's filing example, I'm working on a file a day. They were taken out of the wooden filing cabinet to be able to move it when plastering was done back in October. I intend to paint that room so that's why I haven't put them back. It's months later and they are still under the clothes rail in our bedroom. So I'm going through them one by one, throwing things away, and putting them back into the cabinet until I am actually on the point of painting.

CREDIT!

Credit!

onebyone
02-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Hello Everyone

*credit* for moving 5 boxes of stuff from the apartment to the studio where I sorted them. This has freed up the kitchen once and for all. *credit. More cardboard to breakdown for garbage day this week.

*credit* for dishes done, and one sinkful left. *credit* for cleaning out fridge and getting rid of expired things.

Lexxiss sorry about the unexpected issues in your reno. Awesome that the plumber wants to rent it. How great is that? Had you procrastinated on this job that plumber may not have seen the place and not wanted to rent it. You never know what unexpected benefits can come from doing what you need to do. *big credit* Actually, you would be the exact type of landlord I would want to rent from--you look after the place and care about it. I am sure that all figured into it too!

gardenerjoy great progress so far this month. It would be so easy to dismiss 10 min of filing in the course of a day, but look at your list! It all really adds up and why it's so motivating to keep track. *big credit*

silverbirch and everyone else Just wanted to :wave: and say hello on this snowy Canadian Sunday.

gardenerjoy
02-16-2014, 11:58 PM
14: cleaned ceiling fan & other 2-story high nooks & crannies using shop vac with lots of extensions
15: Take care of Christmas cards
16: cleaned behind two big chairs and the buffet

Lexxiss
02-17-2014, 07:31 AM
I have 9 days before the plumber moves in and lots to do. I'm already using my Beckplanning skills to develop the game plan....I'm committed to keeping things going at home, too. 3 Essentials done. credit.

gardenerjoy
02-17-2014, 11:38 PM
17: rearranged TV components

onebyone
02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
I was just in the kitchen and looked over to the dining room and went wait a minute... I can actually see right to the window and my box mountain is more like a gentle hill now. Credit moi!

And on the strength of this I'm going to do a big leap forward in here today.

Today's plan is to go through all the boxes that are in front of the dining room bookcase or spend three hours focused on this task aiming to go through the pile.

My other task is to cut all the cardboard up for garbage day.

Will update later.

UPDATE: Didn't go through any boxes and managed to cut up and tie up 4 bundles of cardboard for recycling which was only one giant box--which took almost an hour! *credit* for getting rid of the biggest most obtrusive box. Back at it tomorrow.

:

Lexxiss
02-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Yay onebyone! The thought that crossed my mind is just how much free time you will have for other projects once you pass this milestone! Credit!

My new tenant wants to be moving in on Feb 27/28 so I am on the downhill with lots of stuff inbetween. I need to leave soon for a homedepot that is 1/2 hour away for some supplies I can't get closer.

I went to bed early last night to prepare for these next 5 very busy days. When I got up the bed got made immediately and I did the kitchen while coffee was making. Laundry is done I checked last night. 3 Essentials done. credit. I looked around for clutter and was granted a reprieve there because I worked on clutter yesterday before work.

Off I go!

onebyone
02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Hello and Good Morning:

My day will be broken up today so I am committing to a final removal of all things from the kitchen area.
This means:

1) dishes done
2) stuff off the floor
3)moving the things that are leaning against the kitchen table from the opposite side-the dining room side.

GOAL: I want to be able to walk all around the table by the time I go to bed tonight, with nothing on, or under the table.

Lexxiss go go go! Soon that project will be history and you'll have a solid tenant! awesome. I was *thrilled* to read you looked around for decluttering and there was nothing. BIG CREDIT YOU!
I never thought about having more time once this project gets done. Weird how I don't consider all the time I spend obsessing/fretting/depressed over the state of my home. Wow. If it gets done, you are right. I DON'T have to spend time on that any longer. Thanks for that thought...

gardenerjoy looking forward to what makes it to your list as #18!

silverbirch how are you progressing with your files?

:wave: to everyone reading and/or lurking. Have a good day.

gardenerjoy
02-19-2014, 11:53 PM
18: move table to sunroom, helped set up new TV
19: prep for cleaning crew

onebyone
02-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Hi Everyone.

I can walk on all sides of the kitchen table this morning *credit*

Plan for Today

1) my mom's laundry + 1 load of mine. NOPE

2) dishes done NOPE
3) pull all my prints and canvases and framed things together into one area and put into the car tonight when DH gets home with the car YES but not in the car at
4) bring extra artwork to studio or locker tonight NO
5) spend an hour going through boxes NO
6) spend an hour on art submissions--turns out I actually have four deadlines coming up! Yikes! YES
7)spend an hour breaking down boxes NO

Lexxiss
02-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Yay gardenerjoy and onebyone!

onebyone, I'm glad my comment resonated with you. In addition to the time which has been freed up I also noticed yesterday another way that the decluttering has freed me up for dieting. I freed up so much space in my kitchen cupboards that I now buy items we need/use regularly in bulk. Coffee, creamers, DH's agave, healthy snacks....freezer items...cat food, dog food. DH had emptied his agave, which he puts in his coffee. I walked over to the pantry and pulled out another one. Wow! It was so simple. It used to be a trip to the store with associated agitation for the addl. expense because Costco is an hour away....and Costco has all the other food associated temptations that it's just easier to do without. I still have 3 left, which is very freeing as far as time goes.
My kitchen has gotten very basic since I got into the daily routine. I don't need as many glasses, plates, pots, pans.....I only kept the appliances I use and I have a place for them all. I have one nice large non stick pan which lives on top of the stove. It's always clean and ready so I don't need two or three. I continue to challenge myself to clean pots/bowls/knives as I cook so my only dishes in the morning are the ones we ate off of...and the soaking frypan which is much easier to clean when I let it soak overnight.

3 Essentials done. I'm headed up to meet the carpet installer. I'm feeling pretty energetic although there is still lots to be done.

gardenerjoy
02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
18: move table to sunroom, helped set up new TV
19: prep for cleaning crew
20: 10 min filing

Lexxiss
02-21-2014, 07:46 AM
3 Essentials *done*

I worked at the project 11 hours yesterday. Got home to a clean kitchen and made OP dinner....cleaning up as I cooked. It was simple and that's what I strive for. Thought this morning....as I work towards completion of the 3 reno's....I don't think I would have kept my food sanity for these 5 months had it not been for my daily effort in my own home. credit.

onebyone
02-21-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm opting to stay home today to get some things off my list! Yesterday was a bit of a washout due to a graphic art emergency which wasn't even my own emergency but took me away from my own stuff anyway.It's ok. My clutter is not an emergency either. I just want to get it done is all.

For Today 2 Main Goals:

Every hour or so throughout the day I will just simply do some dishes until they are done.
GOAL #1: all dishes washed by the time DH gets home at 6pm Done!!!

Move/sort through the stuff in front of my bookcase on the far wall (:carrot: I'm at the far wall!) of my dining room. Pull out the stuff that leaves the house. House the rest.
GOAL #2: to be able to stand in front of the bookcase free and clear. Water my plants while I am there.

LexxissI don't think I would have kept my food sanity for these 5 months had it not been for my daily effort in my own home. credit. I totally believe you on this. I think the daily routine reinforces that your don;'t just abandon what's working/been working and the consistency of your routine reminds you that eventually all the unusual events that always creep up do pass, and they do get completed. I 100% believe you on this. I am struggling with culling my everyday objects down to a single thing and eliminating the things we don't use very often--like a few times a year. I still have way too many clothes and sheets/towels even blankets. THe kitcehn is full of dishes I am not in love with. I've been using my grandmother's old best set, which is not a collectible or a antique set, and I jst broke one of the bowls the other day and when it smashed I thought "I am over this set". I've been using it as it's a daily reminder of her but I can bundle those dishes up now. This is an emotional release for sure.

Time to get moving.

onebyone
02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
So I cleaned up the kitchen, and I have dinner on (all tracked/on plan) and I looked over and sitting on top of that bookcase (which I didn't get to yet) is a candleabra that I traded for at my very first giant craft show in 1999? 2000? I love it and have never used it. Tonight it's sitting on my kitchen table waiting for DH to bring home candles. And if this wasn't enough... I have placemats with matching napkins, all handsewn, hand-dyed batik with fish and coral on them Also never used and traded for at a university craft show probably around 1995! OMG. I still love these things even seeing them now. But tonight I will actually use them. Picture to follow. Big Leap Forward indeed!
OK. We went out, bought candles and here is the proof of all my efforts over MONTHS. Yes, seriously, months. A candlelit dinner, made from scratch (Hungarian Gulyas or Goulash), clean dishrack/sink. It was fabulous and I am happy! I feel energized to get to the rest of it. I also, credit, have already cleared/cleaned and put away the dinner dishes.:carrot:

onebyone
02-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Okay so the kitchen is cleaned from breakfast and from making lunch/soup for the next few days. credit I truly enjoyed the extra workspace of using the tble to chop up my vegetables for my soup today. While I sat at the table. I played a podcast on my phone and OMG my life has improved by leaps and bounds!

Today I will get to Goal#2 from yesterday:
GOAL #2: to be able to stand in front of the bookcase free and clear. Water my plants while I am there. Yesterday I filled the watering can and then left it in the tub :?: prompting DH to ask why is there a watering can in the tub? I told him to just empty it out and so the plants did not get water. Today they will.

DH is off to deal with his mom's computer, a semi-annual event that I get to opt out of, so I am home for the duration. I'll check in later. Hope everyone is doing well out there.

Lexxiss
02-23-2014, 08:17 AM
onebyone, I am just so tickled to read your past few posts! I feel you getting the wonderful feeling that comes when you work really hard and things start coming together.....how it feels to have a beautiful dinnertable set....how it feels to have a clean countertop in the kitchen for food prep and to be able to focus on other projects, not just the accumulation of dishes in the kitchen sink (PS I think that's whyFlylady emphasizes keeping the kitchen sink clean). Kudos to you and I send you the strength to keep moving forward. I know, it is a daily effort, yet also feel the reward of keeping with it. Love your picture!

In the spirit of keeping with it I will accomplish my 3 Essentials this morning before I head back up to the project. (Yes, I went up from 330-530 to have some quiet time to focus on the floor, which IS coming along quite well). I am weary on the one hand, but jubilant that my weight is down and that I have pretty much kept up at home for almost 5 months now. I will admit that in the past week some things at home have gone downhill a bit but as soon as I'm finished at the project I'll get right back on track here at home. Credit.

Keep sharing your progress, onebyone, It really helps keep me inspired!

silverbirch
02-23-2014, 08:45 AM

Keep sharing your progress, onebyone, It really helps keep me inspired!

Yes, I'll second that. :hug: Wonderful success, onebyone! I'm so pleased!

Lexxiss, take care!

onebyone
02-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi

I'm terribly tired after getting up at 6am to head over to a sportsbar to watch the gold medal finals for hockey (we won! yay!). After the game we did Real Grocery shopping and I feel great about all the food choices. I have many veggies to chooose from now for the week ahead. How this relates to decluttering is when we got home, the groceries were placed *on my table*. OMG what a simple thing we haven't ever done before since moving here. OMG how much easier it was to put them away and as an unexpected bonus, I re-arranged the top shelf of my freezer and have plans for the other shelves now too. It seems that everything is getting a lift! I also moved more things to my locker. This time DH came to help as we loaded the car last night. I have a poor sense of space and he assured me I still have way over half of the space free in my tiny locker--this makes me feel super confident that my house WILL be in order sooner rather than later.

I did move the boxes from in front of the dining room bookcase. Turns out they are boxes of books I can't wait to open, so perhaps later today I can focus there--but I'm not sure. I am exhausted. Anyway, just reporting in. Thanks for the update Lexxiss on your project as well. Love to hear how things are going. Do you have any before/after pictures to share?

And silverbirch glad to see you there too! How is your filing project coming? What's the weather like where you are anyway?? Is it conducive to decluttering??? ;)

Bye for now.

UPDATE: OMG what a goldmine in some of those boxes! I finally found my Beck books: the pink workbook AND the green one. I never did do the green one so I am re-starting that this week. Also tons of great art books and all my "in recovery" books when I was in hot pursuit of good health and well-being. So fortuitous to come across them right now when I feel the same spirit moving me on. Right now the books are all on my kitchen table. I accept this as I need to re-arrange some shelves to give them a place to land. I also found some printmaking stuff and a postcard. A postcard sent to me from Paris by my brother when he was there with my sister about 4 years ago. It was classic him. I've been very sad in the midst of all this progress as I saw that my brothers house is now for sale. My SIL told my sister she got rid of most of my brother's things, which she must have as the rooms are bare. I did see one of my paintings in her home selling video. The video has had me crying off and on. I still can't believe my brother is gone. Selling the house just really has it hitting home for me and I am grateful not to be eating over these feelings today.

Have a good night my friends.

onebyone
02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi to anyone who reads this:

So I'm still going strong. I've opened and palced onto shelves those last three boxes of books. I have only two more unopened boxes. I'll be at them in about 30min. *credit* for having done so much.

I need to get a handle on the kitchen again. Geez it goes to pieces so fast! I simply need to do 2 sinkfuls of dishes and some tidying. Break down and tie up some boxes for the garbage man tomorrow morning. I'm going to get it to the curb tonight. I am getting tired of running with it to the curb in the early a.m.

I can see what my next major overhaul will be: getting categories of books together. That should be interesting.

I am taking things off the shelves to make room for the books and so I will have several, like maybe 7 or 8, boxes/containers with miscellaneous items in them. I also have a lot of artwork--not sure what to do with them. I paint over lots of it (it's all my artwork I'm talking about) but some pieces I just can't. I think I'll just gather them into one place and then later re-think/consider how to show them. Maybe I'll have an inventory clearance sale or something (?) I could have an inventory clearance/art supply sale probably... maybe at my studio in the spring? Who knows.
An Art Garage Sale? Garage Art Sale?

So that's it for me. If you are decluttering I wish you well! Carry on.

Lexxiss
02-26-2014, 05:37 AM
Hi onebyone, yes, I am doing something.....grinding to the finish on this project. I am just about to head up for several hours before I come home and go to the restaurant. We will be finished in 3 days.

I love reading your progress! Things are going great!

I am constantly striving to make things more efficient in the kitchen. I put a pot of hot sudsy water in the sink when I'm cooking and wash lots of things as I go. Last night I used the colander to drain pasta, which took 15 seconds, and I immediately rinsed it and put it back up....no need to stack it for washing. Lots of things I have identified that wash easily when I do them immediately and take a big scrub later....knives blender etc. I challenge myself maybe you can, too. My challenge is to have every cooking item washed by the time I serve dinner.

Gotta run!

silverbirch
02-26-2014, 06:46 AM
I also wash up as I'm cooking. I hear the words of someone I never met echoing down the years from 1937, my mother's cookery teacher:

Clear as you go, girls!

thirti4thirty
02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Anyone knows of a good home cleaning/organisation forum on the net?

onebyone
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Anyone knows of a good home cleaning/organisation forum on the net?

Hello

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I have found the ideas on the flylady website very very helpful:

http://www.flylady.net/

That's all I got suggestion-wise.

onebyone
02-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Lexxiss and Silverbirch thanks for chiming in re: dishes cleanup. You know, it never occured to me to have soapy water in the sink while I am making dinner. duh! Awesome tip. My dinner dishes are almost all done right now!

And as for old sayings passed down, from my mother comes this one that she learned in home ec class circa 1940ish: You want to butter your toast the way you'd paint a room: cover it all the way to the corners.

No decluttering to report today. *credit* though for keeping up with the dishes and the table and the stovetop.

and Lexxiss I'm thinking of you in the home stretch of that reno! I hope some of that first month's rent from your new tenant can be earmarked from some kind of special treat for yourself. You truly deserve a reward!

thirti4thirty
02-27-2014, 02:10 AM
Hello

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I have found the ideas on the flylady website very very helpful:

http://www.flylady.net/

That's all I got suggestion-wise.

Hey! Thanks!! I checked it out and it seems fine for a start. I'll try it out. Has it helped you?

onebyone
02-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Hey! Thanks!! I checked it out and it seems fine for a start. I'll try it out. Has it helped you?

Yes, it has helped a lot. In particular the idea of doing something for 15 minutes only. That is really life-changing for me. Letting go of perfection/procrastination (a work in progress) and also in times if panic (someone's coming over-yikes!) her "crisis cleaning" has saved my butt (search her site for that). And keeping the sink clean and shiny is truly key. I am still working on it but it is a relief to me now to have clean shiny sink.

thirti4thirty
02-28-2014, 02:13 AM
Oh great! I really needed something like that.

onebyone
03-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi Decluttering Peeps

Yesterday evening I opened the last unopened box of Box Mountain 2.0. I've seen all of it. One box was emptied, the other set aside. So, I should say here *credit* for opening all my boxes. Instead I felt/I feel overwhelmed at the place looks/feels like a wreck for all my effort. I still have major sorting to do. Oh well. I need 4 boxes: craft supplies-art supplies-completed artwork-show supplies. I have maybe 8?maybe more, overwhelmingly jumbled boxes of stuff I opened and set aside so I could deal with the stuff I know what to do with. I think I'll make it my business today to finish this project. Tomorrow the diabetes people come to pick up donations so that is great incentive to focus today. Also at the end of the week my sister is here from Florida. I'd like the common rooms looking good.

Bye for now.

OK just did some needed exercise (it really did clear my brain. huh.) and I am going to make a to do list on my giant white board and just move forward systematically today. I will update here at the end of the day with my credits.

MIDDAY UPDATE: What a SLOG! OMG declutterers. Yikes. 3, count 'em, three small shopping bags full of "stuff" =mostly papers and receipts that were emptied out of either a backpack or an old box or whatever to be sorted "later" were dealt with today as I said NO CHOICE to finishing the boxes that I chose from my pile. I am picking boxes for their location in my line of view from the couch to the dining room. The biggest offender, an ugly open top one, held many surprises and a real mix. I must have dumped into it several times.

I am sorting into a few brand new rubbermaid bins that are see through which is the best method for me right now. But I think my sorting labeling is wrong. What I thought would be a small box (jewellery and craft findings (clasps, earring hooks, pins) has ended up full of receipts. Like that box is almost full-though its paper so it can be squished down quite a bit. And the receipts in there are from 2013 all the way back to 2007. Having not done taxes for, oh, that long, I have to keep them. On the other hand, I am pleased to locate this stuff as I will need it cause taxes and talking to an accountant are on the agenda for the very very near future.

SO far today I sorted: 1 large box, two small boxes. :dancer:x3
ALSO TODAY: sort clothes as the diabetes people are coming for pick up in the morning. They specifically asked for clothing and linen donations. Now's my chance to move some of that out of here too.

NOTE: I still feel overwhelmed if I think about it, but I am happier as I am doing something about it. I can at least feel at peace cause I am trying.

Evening update: just finished sorting all the linens in the linen closet. I was fairly ruthless donating some perfectly good stuff given to me by my mother in law. I just don't like the colour. I have enough without them. Still have my clothes to go through. It's probably a good thing it's getting late. I'm tired so I won't have the energy to be too picky or sentimental.

onebyone
03-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Good Morning

I have two boxes, one big, one small, plus one garbage bag of donations for the Diabetes people to come and pick up today. I went around the house one more time this morning and made sure the big box was full. *credit*credit*credit*

Today I will continue decluttering. I feel better about my progress yesterday. DH actually had input re: towels and linens and that felt good.

My goal today is the very large rubbermaid bin, and the next 2 or 3 boxes in/around the two furniture pieces that are buried by the boxes that remain.

I'm also tackling the bedroom. I might do that first. Specifically the area in front of my dresser and the closet door.

That list is probably too ambitious for today but I'll aim for it anyway.

Bye.

gardenerjoy
03-03-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm back at it. Glad to see you're making progress, onebyone -- I'll think of you while I'm tackling my seemingly unending project.

March 3: 10 minutes filing

onebyone
03-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Today I am in the studio - the pottery studio and then the home studio as I won't have the car today. I will commit to sorting another box, or two at the most, but that's it for today. I have a submission deadline breathing down my neck for the end of the week.

Will check in later.

gardenerjoy Kudos for continuing on your project. I'm glad you are out there decluttering too:hug:

helping rachel
03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Greeting to all!

I am going to commit to 30 minutes of decluttering of 2 rooms that I tend to ignore to keep the rest of the house in order. My Craft Room and Storage Space.
I think if I break it down to 30 minutes a day, it will not overwhelm me and will give me a place to be accountable.
I spent 6 hours on Monday spring cleaning the main floor. I washed ceiling fans and purged all areas. My daughter said it felt like spring when she came down for breakfast. Sad news it has been 10 degrees. So very sick of this winter.

Steady as she goes wins the race. Thanks for having this place to share.

Lexxiss
03-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi!

onebyone, such great progress you are making, and yes, I can relate to some disappointment as you finish one tremendous part of your process yet look around and see what you still have to do. Just keep going!!! (And maintain your losses, too)

I have been mia...very difficult to get to the computer sometimes. We finished on the project Friday night then I went right to the restaurant for five days straight. I gave myself a week to get the car sorted out since all our supplies just got dumped in. I have been making progress every day. I also made a commitment to improve at home every day since the last week we just flew in and out. I've done that, too. We are headed over to the pool house after work today. I'm in the office this morning tackling some paperwork before we go. That's my story.

I'm looking forward to being all caught up and being able to start my decluttering process in the yard again this spring. My little bit every day really worked for me last year.

gardenerjoy
03-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Good to see everyone! We've got some energy flowing here!

March 4: 10+ minutes filing

onebyone
03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Hello

I'm not going to get everything done that I planned to before my sister comes tomorrow. My first printmaking deadline is Friday via email and my print isn't even done. Right now I can't even find my source material. Sigh. So I need to focus on where I'll get the most bang for my buck. I need to be ready in case she stays over some night. She is planning on hotel or B&B's but who knows if that will workout. I have be a viable alternative for her.

So...this is my focus:

1) back bedroom=clear off futon. Clean sheets and blankets.

2) kitchen=clear away all excess cardboard and bring to recycling depot. Clear away dishes and stuff on counters and table.

3)livingroom/dining room area=straighten up remove things from sight lines i. e. make it visually pleasing.

4)bathroom=clean floor and tub. put out fresh towels. declutter countertops/sink area.

Schedule

I can work on this tonight for an hour.

Thursday: in the afternoon IF my printing goes ok today.Alternative: tomorrow evening 1 hour.

Friday: my sister arrives at 3pm. I have 5 hrs max to get the place together.

Total work time=7hrs. I know l can get a lot done in 7 focused hours!

Must go...nice to see you guys checking in!

gardenerjoy
03-05-2014, 07:35 PM
March 5: 10 minutes filing

helping rachel
03-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Hi all!

Completed 30 minutes in creative space
Completed 30 minutes washing all the ceiling fans and wiping down lights.

helping rachel
03-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Grateful to have a place to share…..

Got a new refrigerator after the 23 year one kicked the bucket. So happy to be cleaning and organizing the freezer and Refrigerator. Looks so clean and new. I will have to wax the outside as they said that a woman put vinegar on her frig and rusted it out.

gardenerjoy
03-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Great to see your progress, helping_rachel!

Today was more unfiling than filing. I identified a couple of files that could get much smaller if I were more picky about the contents. I made the executive decision that we didn't need canceled checks from an account that was closed 14 years ago. Especially if I kept the statements.

March 6: 10 minutes filing
March 7: 45 minutes filing

Lexxiss
03-08-2014, 07:03 AM
I came back over the hill after a 2 day break. DH stayed over so I have some space for the next 4 days when I'll go back over. In the old days it was an opportunity to "do nothing" then go into high speed on the last day.

I've since recognized, through trial and error, that I am best served by a daily routine. I'll do my 3 Essentials today and work on the final pile of project stuff that came out of the car and into the house just as we packed the car to travel.

My next "challenge" will be doing the books for the company. It's tricky since DH tends to feel "left out" when I spend hours at the computer so I'm going to bring the checkbook over with me (from mom's) after work today and see if I can get started. I do believe I brought the books last Spring and caught up through March, which will certainly help now.
ETA-Darn...I just checked and it was last year that I got a head start with the books. Oh, well, more reason to get started now!

Take care all!

gardenerjoy
03-08-2014, 10:16 PM
March 8: 10 minutes filing

Lexxiss
03-09-2014, 03:32 PM
I've made alot of progress today. I got some extra rest last night and set the stage this morning to get started on the books by completing my 3 Essentials. It gets tempting to blow them off when I have other things to do and DH is gone, but I know I feel better when they're done-and they are. Credit.

I started on the books early after I did a 10 minute pick up/filing in the office. I decided to work an hour then do something else for 15 minutes and it's working. The house looks better AND I'm through September in the checkbook. I know I'll encounter some challenges in the end months since we started the projects in October but that's ok. I'm going to take a break now and give myself permission to resume ONLY if I feel like it. I'm much further than I'd expected to be by now. Yay!

gardenerjoy
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Yay for all that progress, Lexxiss!

March 9: 10 minutes filing

onebyone
03-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Hello!

I'm not doing much in terms of decluttering while my sister visits. DH did a massive cleanup this week while I wrestled with my print submission so thanks to him the bathroom, her room, and the entry way are all half decent. The living room and kitchen need work and the dining room is improved yet impassable-except by the cat, who thinks it's fantastic for climbing up on stuff and eyeing the top of the bookcase, freezer and pantry. He's probably been up there already when we weren't around to stop him.

My energy is quite low today. Too much mom stuff in a row. Very wearing. A few more days yet and then level of intensity should drop.

Great job everyone getting at their tasks! The end of this challenge is in sight. (Hello Spring:hug:) and I am ready to set new goals and to complete old ones. This year I am focused on permanent change and it's happening.

Bye for now.

gardenerjoy
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
March 10: work on clearing up old laptop (I've had the new one for a year!)

Lexxiss
03-11-2014, 08:04 PM
My procrastination showed it's face this morning. I thought I'd have time to get all caught up with things so I could travel West after work today. I ended up with some paperwork which needed resolution so travel was postponed until tomorrow. The good news is that I came right home from work and made some phone calls which resulted in progress. I also took time to take care of some household chores I knew I didn't want to do at 3 am:
~took out compost
~loaded recycles into the car
~moved tools from the car and from the house to DH's shop since I needed to go up and lock the shop anyway.

In addition, I spent some time in the office making some new files so I could get the misc. piles off my desk. credit. It looks better already.

I'll be a step ahead when I rise in the morning. Now it's time to relax.

gardenerjoy
03-11-2014, 10:53 PM
March 10: work on clearing up old laptop
March 11: finished clearing old laptop

helping rachel
03-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

Working on cleaning the kitchen and washing the floor.
Setting my timer and focusing on transitioning from one area to the next.
After the kitchen is done will move to the basement for 1/2 in my craft room.
Trying to focus on the value of "Ease" and just moving my body to make headway.

Found out I am hypothyroid and reworking my hormone levels. Lots of Vit D and feeling the blah's from this long stinking winter. I pray that I have a shift in my energy level and outlook. Sunshine and to be in Nature always helps…….

onebyone
03-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Just checking in here with a commitment to push to the end of this challenge.
We're close to the vernal equinox aka Spring and tomorrow I will see how far I have come to the goals I set for myself at the start of this challenge. I have made some major changes.

helping rachel How far did you get in your cleaning/decluttering plans? I am also vitamin D deficient and have been taking vit D since September. I also have a wonky thyroid-but mine's the parathyroid. It's throwing calcium into my blood but according to the expert not bad enough to do anything about--just watch for kidney stones and osteoporosis. So I was grateful to learn that. But i have to agree that a string of good weather would do us all good... let's really really hope it comes soon.

gardenerjoy How goes the decluttering in your office space? I have enjoyed seeing your list of accomplishments grow day to day to day.

LexxissWhere are you at with your books? I think you've made significant progress in so many projects during the span of this challenge! Would love to see your list of accomplishments!

silverbirch:wave: any sign of Spring on the other side of the pond?? How are your projects faring?

onebyone
03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Here are the relevant parts of the first post I made for my goals at the start of this challenge:

1. I removed a bookcase for donation and replaced it with a pantry with doors. I moved the pantry from the dining room to the back bedroom. great. I needed the space for two new buffets that I need to assemble. Since I can't find any screwdrivers (incredible) I am forced to delay the buffets until I have some.

2. BUT all the stuff that was piled up is now shoved into new spaces so I have to keep on this until I empty out boxes and actually reduce that pile.

PROGRESS

For #1 The buffets are assembled, in place and full! *credit*
For #2 I no longer have a pile--just a scattering of boxes, and bins and now DH has his books over top of them since he had to move his stuff out of the back room for my sister to stay in. Now it has to move so I can get to the one layer of boxes, already looked through and set aaside for another day which has arrived. *credit*

MORE PROGRESS

#3 I freed up the dining room table, which is small, and is now a kitchen table. My sister and I sat at it for lunch. DH and I have used it for dinner. It is a really useful space for doing dishes and unloading groceries. Love my table there.
#4 I have a storage space for art supplies which has freed up my studio. I can now walk in and make things.
#5 My studio is getting sorted out and is loosely organized.
#6 I have put up a shelf and my clothesline in my studio to keep very useful things at hand and to be able to hang and dry my prints. I also got a welcome mat and installed a foam tile floor for my own comfort.

TO THE END OF THIS CHALLENGE
Back to sorting the stuff in the dining room, specifically I have two large rubbermaid bins. They've been a catch all and I need to see what's in them and where to put them. I also want to make a decision about the extra small bits of furniture floating around: 3 end tables and table I love with wings that cover a drawer. These items have no home right now. Also on the radar is that pile of clothes by my dresser. I never got to it. Actually, I may make that priority#1. You know, I am going to move that table into my locker as I need to put something with height in there anyway and it could be useful in my locker. I will do that later today or tomorrow.

silverbirch
03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
onebyone, such good progress! I am enormously impressed.

Spring is here and has been since the beginning of the month (which we think of as the beginning of spring). Glancing out of the window, I can see about a dozen lambs, mostly twins, mostly creamy-white and also one or two black ones. They are all running and chasing in a big gang along the hedgerow.

I am sitting by the pile of files that I've told you about. I've moved it from under the clothes rail to the window ledge in the sitting room. One or two have been processed which I'm pleased about. More are in my future. The past month has been very busy as the weather has warmed up, the garden is growing and calling, and keeping things going is quite a challenge.

I'll do another file after I post this!

Thanks very much for checking up on me.

:wave: to all.

helping rachel
03-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Hi all!

ONEBYONE, Wow, so happy for your progress, I see you are already experiencing the fruits of your decluttering efforts.

Silverbirch, thanks for sharing what you are viewing outside of your window. The description makes my heart smile thinking of the lambs being so playful.

GardenerJoy: Love how you continue to tick away giving time everyday.

Lexxiss:Wow, reading and reflecting on your projects these past few months shows me how taking each day at a time and doing what is needed will get the project done.

Off to the basement office…….. To start a long to do list.

Very happy with what I did get done in the kitchen and 1st floor rooms. These places in the basement are my catch all or what I call my "clutter cemetery:. Time to make decisions and let go……

Lexxiss
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
:wave:

Hi everyone! I've been so busy AND trying to get back into my regular-post projects routine. Things are finally shaping up and seeming more normal at home. My great success during this challenge was keeping our home in pretty good shape the entire 5 months we worked on the rental projects. My current project is turning the bad side of my front yard into a "backyard garden". We hauled a giant ceramic pot over from our other home last week and yesterday we brought the small rototiller up from the basement and erected a sweet pea fence, a large gate I brought home from the dump many years ago. It already looks like a great work in progress and I'll plant the seeds today after work. It still isn't light enough in the mornings but when it happens I'll recommit to my 20 minutes of gardening every morning. It really helped me make progress last year....

Work calls!

silverbirch
03-18-2014, 07:15 AM
I've done another file. It was my exercise file from 2006-08 so that was interesting. Some things I know don't work for me, some things I've outgrown - thrown away. And the lighter, properly labelled file put in its alphabetical place in the filing cabinet drawer.

I'm going to do another one today!

Debbie, I'm trying to do half an hour or so in the garden every day. Sometimes I end up doing a fair bit more. It's all adding up. Sweet peas are quite lovely.

Lexxiss
03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
I thought I'd try and kick a few declutter projects through for the end of this challenge.
Last night I wrote some notes on a pad after I finished reading in bed. One item on my list was to get rid of the antique (but in disrepair) dining room chairs since I decided long ago to purchase the pretty new ones I liked so well. This morning I started cleaning them up (the long haired cat sits on them). I recognized that I'd cleaned them up before and by not getting rid of them I add work for myself over and over again.
I was going to take them to the Sr.Thrift but decided to try my "free" sign first. I hauled them to the corner, placed the sign and before I could get all the way in the house someone had stopped. She will take all 5.

My reminder here: WHEN I declutter the items I let go of DO find another life with someone else.

Going down to Denver to p/u DD and cross a few chores off my list. Then I'll bring some more stuff up from the basement.

thirti4thirty
03-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Ow, I'm glad to say...I did it!!
I wasn't really thinking about the challenge here. It's just that I'm planning to have visitors over. So about 90% is done. It looks like a home AGAIN. It took me loads of time and work. Will I be able to maintain that this time?
The next challenge...BRING IT ON!!

onebyone
03-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Everyone

Looks like we've all made some progress this time round. Yay Us!

I think I need another challenge though... will be back in a day or two for anyone who wants to jump on board. I'll be locking this thread in the morning.