General chatter - What Are You Reading Jan 2014?

View Full Version : What Are You Reading Jan 2014?

Smiling_Sara
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Happy New Year everyone! Please share with us what you are reading this month?

I am reading Maximum Self Esteem-The Handbook for Reclaiming Your Sense of Self-Worth (http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Self-Esteem-Handbook-Reclaiming-Self-Worth/dp/0963571974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388678746&sr=8-1&keywords=maximum+self+esteem)

Been dealing with a lot of anxiety and depression lately, so I'm hoping this helps. My doctor gave it to me.

zoesmom
01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
You Are Your Own Gym (http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581) by Mark Lauren. I am hoping it will allow me to find a way to reach my fitness goal of being able to do pullups for the first time ever

LovesToTravel
01-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm finishing up Son by Lois Lowry. This is the 4th and final book in her series that started with The Giver almost 20 years ago. Loving it.

Also just began Vol. 1 of The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire by John Toland. My dad snagged these out of print copies and let me borrow them.

EagleRiverDee
01-02-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm reading the Game of Thrones series. I'm on book 2.

Psychic
01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Currently Reading
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Already Read
Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry
Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
Sirensong by Jenna Black
Infinite by Jodi Meadows
Asunder by Jodi Meadows
Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
Pawn by Aimee Carter

pnkrckpixikat
01-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Wait... The Giver is a series? How did I never know that?!?! That used to be one of my favorite books.

I recently finished re-reading The Shining and I am about to start Doctor Sleep

pnkrckpixikat
01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
... Oh, just looked it up, I didn't know because I was already in high school when the second one came out so it was off my radar already. Will have to go back and read the series :)

LovesToTravel
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Wait... The Giver is a series? How did I never know that?!?! That used to be one of my favorite books.[/B]

Yes! I happened upon the other books a few years ago and was thrilled that Lowry decided to continue the story. The second book, Gathering Blue, isn't a sequel; it's a story that stands on its own about a different community and protagonist. The third book, Messenger, ties some of the threads between The Giver and Gathering Blue together. And the fourth, Son, sort of brings everything full circle.

I'd recommend the series to anyone who read The Giver and wondered what became of Jonas and Gabriel. :)

rubidoux
01-03-2014, 02:20 AM
I just finished Fish by TJ Parsell. It's a memoir about his time in an adult prison when he was in has late teens. I could not put it down and was sad to finish it.

sheramama
01-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Allegiant by Veronica Roth

shcirerf
01-04-2014, 12:36 AM
The original Bram Stokers, "Dracula"!:dizzy:

CanadianCutie
01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Game of Thrones (the first book), I'm enjoying it, but I'm slow at reading lately.

lemc87
01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.

seabiscuit
01-04-2014, 08:09 PM
lemc-

The Fault In Our Stars looks really good, I was thinking of reading it.

I just finished a great book called Every Patients Tells A Story (or the title was very similar), I loved it and I am thinking of reading more medical stuff.

I also had started Killing Jesus, I hope to get back to that.

Take care :)

Amy

lemc87
01-04-2014, 08:27 PM
lemc-

The Fault In Our Stars looks really good, I was thinking of reading it.

I just finished a great book called Every Patients Tells A Story (or the title was very similar), I loved it and I am thinking of reading more medical stuff.

I also had started Killing Jesus, I hope to get back to that.

Take care :)

Amy

I've heard good things as well! I'm half way through the book and I started reading it yesterday, so that's usually a good sign I really enjoy the book. It's not your typical illness/cancer book -- it's more of a love story (so far).

AwShucks
01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I just began Flower Confidential about the floral industry and how selective breeding has created the flowers we commonly see now (i.e. no scent, but long lasting and bigger knock-out blooms) I found it secondhand like most of my books. I love it when someone with my interests donates books to thrift shops! If I find one book that I love, I look more closely because, chances are, there are more to be found from that same person's library!

lemc87
01-05-2014, 10:35 PM
I just finished reading The Fault In Our Stars. Very good book. I don't have anything too negative to say about it really. :)

I am now starting The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I generally like reading the book(s) first.

kurisitaru
01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
The original Bram Stokers, "Dracula"!:dizzy:

I read this on the car ride from family right before the new year.

I just finished book 1 and 2 of the Hunger Game Series, and am finishing the Third soon. Then on to the 13th book in the Wheel of Time Series!

livcarter
01-06-2014, 05:46 PM
The Once and Future King by T.H. White.

I love the Arthurian legend so it's about time I read it.

kurisitaru
01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Hunger Game Series is done. UGH! The ending was disappointing for me. I won't give anything away though. Second book by far was my favorite.

On to the 13th book in the Wheel of Time Series!!!

imabehot
01-07-2014, 06:37 PM
The guardians of childhood series. Its what one of my favorite movies- Rise of the Guardians- is based off of. It's such a sweet series. :D

Dollfaise
01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Allegiant by Veronica Roth

I just finished Divergent and enjoyed it decently well. But I've heard horrible things about Allegiant so I'm reluctant to continue. It even has a three star rating on Amazon when both of the other books have 4.5. :(

Psychic
01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
But I've heard horrible things about Allegiant so I'm reluctant to continue.(

I was very disappointed in Allegiant. There was really no more character development. Newly introduced characters were bland and uninteresting. The author started to "tell" you what was going on instead of describing it. Ending was probably the best part, even though it was sad.

shea
01-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I just finished Such a Pretty Fat, I've got your number, and if I stay. The first two made me laugh the last one made me cry. I enjoyed all three but should of read them in opposite order.

Psychic
01-09-2014, 09:24 PM
I just finished Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. If you like YA Dystopian Society, its a pretty great book. Its been on my to-read list, but I gotta get the first two books read soon. I won the third book in a giveaway on Goodreads. An "uncorrected proof" that doesn't come out officially until the end of this month. :)

Sadly, its not signed. 1 out of 3 of the books I've won were, but it was a new/unknown author.

AwShucks
01-09-2014, 10:14 PM
A friend sent me this link today -- 16 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters This Year (http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/books-to-read-before-they-hit-theaters-this-year)

I've only read one of them, so I better get busy!

sheramama
01-09-2014, 10:39 PM
I just finished Divergent and enjoyed it decently well. But I've heard horrible things about Allegiant so I'm reluctant to continue. It even has a three star rating on Amazon when both of the other books have 4.5. :(

I actually really liked it bc it had a shocker twist. I think that's what gets readers sometimes. It's one thing to be disappointed but another when it doesn't play out like you want. I can guarantee it's the latter that got people. Read it and see what you think.

Psychic
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
It's one thing to be disappointed but another when it doesn't play out like you want. I can guarantee it's the latter that got people.

See, it wasn't disappointment on how the story progressed for me. I just thought that the writer could do so much better. As I said, she just started telling the story instead of describing what was going on, like she did in the first two books. I feel like she rushed the release of Allegiant.

helwa588
01-10-2014, 09:43 AM
The girl who fell to earth by Sophia Al-Maria. It's a memoirs of a woman growing up with an American mom and a Qatari Bedouin dad.

CanadianCutie
01-11-2014, 09:14 PM
While I'm still reading Game of Thrones, I also started reading The Disaster Artist. I got this for my husband for Christmas, and he (not much of a reader) read it in less than a week. It's the account of the friendship between the author (an actor) and Tommy Wiseau (writer, director, actor) before and during the filming of the movie The Room. If you've never seen the movie it is so bad it is hilarious. It wasn't intended as humor, but as drama, but it has gained a cult status. I've only just started the book, but it is laugh out loud funny.

sheramama
01-11-2014, 09:39 PM
See, it wasn't disappointment on how the story progressed for me. I just thought that the writer could do so much better. As I said, she just started telling the story instead of describing what was going on, like she did in the first two books. I feel like she rushed the release of Allegiant.

I felt like the details were rushed too, even though I did like her twist. It was hard at times to visualize it all when it is usually effortless.

patns
01-12-2014, 02:07 AM
I am reading The Goldfinch; just finished And the Mountains Echoed.

shanhat81
01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
The Fault in Our Stars was so, so good.

I write/edit reference books for a living, and I just handed in the final draft of my latest one on Thursday, so I haven't read anything in a month or so.

However, next up for me is Wally Lamb's newest, We Are Water. He's from my hometown!!!

I also want to read the books I haven't read in this Buzzfeed article.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/books-to-read-before-they-hit-theaters-this-year?bffb

shanhat81
01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I am reading The Goldfinch; just finished And the Mountains Echoed.

Oh man, I loved And the Mountains Echoed, too. I have The Goldfinch in my Kindle -- it was $1.99 one day on Amazon.

FrancesR
01-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Currently reading Moranthology by Caitlin Moran. It's a collection of her articles which are all hilarious. Also just finished Pushkin's The Captains Daughter and Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding. Highly recommend that one! Personally preferred it to the first Bridget Jones :)

shcirerf
01-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Just finished, the original, "Bram Stokers Dracula".

I've been reading, old classics, free on my tablet.

shanhat81
01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
I just burned through Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell. It was decent, but not as good as I had hoped it would be.

Defining
01-14-2014, 01:42 AM
Erm, I've been getting through a book and a bit each day for the last couple months. I guess I read 'The Happiness Advantage' (Shawn Anchor) today and will probably finish Gladwell's 'David and Goliath' before I go to sleep...

This thread could become dangerous for me :o

Psychic
01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Getting ready to start my 6th book this month. Sirensong is the third book in a really good series. I'm really into YA books about fairies.

Silverfire
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm finishing up Son by Lois Lowry. This is the 4th and final book in her series that started with The Giver almost 20 years ago. Loving it.

Also just began Vol. 1 of The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire by John Toland. My dad snagged these out of print copies and let me borrow them.

Woah! I loved The Giver in school, I had no idea there was more. I will have to find those!

shea
01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
On the list of books to movies that has been posted I have read around 4 of them. I seriously recommend Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand from the list. This is such an amazing story and after I was done I couldn't stop thinking about it. I read it when it first came out and am so happy to see it will be a movie, just hope it does it justice. Really so, so good.

shanhat81
01-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I just read Fever, by Mary Beth Keane. It's about Mary Mallon ("Typhoid Mary"). Better than Eleanor and Park, but not as good as I had hoped.

I just started The Last Summer of the Camperdowns, and I'm not loving it. The language is a little too "LOOK AT ME"

SnowAngel72
01-16-2014, 02:11 PM
right now I am reading 15 winter reads on my nook. Its 15 books in one from various authors. I love finding their bundles for .99 cents. I tend to read fast. The bundles are perfect for me. Right now I am on a fairy/angel/demon/werewolf/vampire/witch etc kick. :)

AwShucks
01-17-2014, 09:24 PM
On the list of books to movies that has been posted I have read around 4 of them. I seriously recommend Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand from the list. This is such an amazing story and after I was done I couldn't stop thinking about it. I read it when it first came out and am so happy to see it will be a movie, just hope it does it justice. Really so, so good.

This is the second recommendation I've had for "Unbroken" -- it's now officially on my list. Did you know the main character is still living? He's in his 90's now. I also want to read "Winter's Tale." The female character in the upcoming movie is the actress who played Sybil on Downton Abbey. Loved her!

Psychic
01-18-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm starting my seventh book for the month, Rot & Ruin. I've never really read any zombie books before, so this will be a new experience. I'm sure I'll like it though.

gardenerjoy
01-20-2014, 01:53 PM
I just finished Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. I love books about books!

Now, I've started My Love Affair with England by Susan Allen Toth. This is a re-read, so I already know I love it. I don't re-read books very often, but I'm hoping to finally go to England this year, so I want to read it again.

CanadianCutie
01-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Finishing up with The Disaster Artist. It is laugh out loud funny. I am going to continue reading Game of Thrones, and In the Name of the Wind. I am waiting on a few books to come in from Goodreads. I won some of their Firstreads giveaways. So excited. I am such a bookgeek.

shea
01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
@ gardenerjoy how wonderful. I've always dreamed of travelling and want to use it as inspiration for weight loss but also just start living the kind of life I used to dream of. I will have to look up that memoir. Have you read 84 Charing Cross Road? It has been a few yrs. But want to say there is a part where she writes about how she thinks of England as how it is in her books. I think I would be the same way I would expect to see the Bennet sisters. Same as I can not quite seperate Canada from Anne of Green Gables.

imabehot
01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Okay so I'm bed bound. I've walked.... all day (NONSTOP) for a week now. My legs are KILLING me. I can't take a bath because I can't get up when I'm done. Luckily our shower has seats in it. My legs-I can't even explain to you all how much they hurt.

SO I'm going to be doing a lot of reading for the week.

Starting with Robin Hood (The 1940 one) it's the only book from my great grandparents that survived the rat infestation at our old house. So it itself is not in PERFECT shape. But whatever lol.

Then.... well I'm hoping I can talk my mom into taking me to the 1 dollar book store (Not kidding EVERYTHINGS A DOLLAR) to look for the other harry potter books (Hardcover) I need. I have three, but I don't have the first so I can't even start reading them.

So yea! :)

2feelbetter
01-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Sycamore Row

imabehot
01-22-2014, 12:23 AM
YAY my mom took me and we found another hardback! I now have 4 of the Harry Potter books hardback. Sadly it's not the first one, so I had to buy the first as paperback. But once I find it hardback I'll redonate this one. Now I'm only missing 1, 2, and 7 hardback. YAY! It seems like every time I buy them a different one shows up on the shelf. :D

gardenerjoy
01-22-2014, 12:45 AM
shea: reading so many books set in England since I was a child is one of the main reasons I want to go. I have read 84 Charing Cross Road (and saw the movie), but both a long time ago. Susan Allen Toth is a literature professor, so she has a lot of book references, too!

imabehot
01-26-2014, 05:09 AM
I finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone! So good! Loved it! On to the Chamber of Secrets!

Amanda112
01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Just read Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Just started House of sand and fog by Andre Dubus.
I am having a hard time getting into it, but the book was recommended by friends - so I am going to stick it out.

Psychic
01-27-2014, 09:35 AM
I must admit that I have a slight problem. I'm on my 7th book this month. I'm halfway done already. Even though it may be an addiction, at least books aren't dangerous to my health.

gardenerjoy
01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Psychic: I don't think I'm going to make 7 books this month, but it won't be for lack of trying!

I've started The Seventh Sinner by Elizabeth Peters. She's more famous for her Amelia Peabody series about Egyptologists, but I'm enjoying this one that features a librarian.

CanadianCutie
01-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Still reading Game of Thrones, but focusing more on The Ascendant by Drew Chapman. I won this book from Goodreads, and it is very interesting. I have a few more in line from Goodreads too, I can't wait.

Tiffany189
01-29-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm reading: Flora and Ulysses.

Amanda112
02-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I am now reading The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield.

I love a really good book series, can anyone suggest any?
I loved the Outlander Series, Hunger Games, and Girl with dragon tattoo..

LilDazed
02-05-2014, 09:30 AM
I am now reading The 13th Tale by Diane Setterfield.

I love a really good book series, can anyone suggest any?
I loved the Outlander Series, Hunger Games, and Girl with dragon tattoo..

Have you heard of Divergent? It's a great series! I've read the first two (Divergent, Insurgent) and just got the third installment (Allegiant) for Christmas. I definitely recommend. It's comparable to The Hunger Games. :D Strong female lead, love interests, dystopian society, and lots of edge-of-your-seat action.

I'm a little over halfway done with John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. Love the characters. I need to read more from him.

Amanda112
02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Have you heard of Divergent? It's a great series! I've read the first two (Divergent, Insurgent) and just got the third installment (Allegiant) for Christmas. I definitely recommend. It's comparable to The Hunger Games. :D Strong female lead, love interests, dystopian society, and lots of edge-of-your-seat action.

I'm a little over halfway done with John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. Love the characters. I need to read more from him.

Thank you, I will check them out :)