Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Beverage recipes and mixes

I've been experimenting with flavored beverages as a way to cut back on my bubble addiction.

Personally, I have no problems with any of the low/no calorie artificial or natural sweeteners, although I do use multiple sweeteners to reduce my exposure to any one and in order to use less overall.

Sweeteners tend to have a synergistic sweetening effect when used in combination. As a result, using a combination of sweeteners allows you to use less sweetener overall (to provide the same level of sweetness) than you would have using any one alone.

I also add more water than recommended and/or mix prepared drink mix. For example I'll add a couple of flavored tea bags to a gallon of water and add drink mix (much less than the packet recommends for a gallon of beverage). Usually, I either use one packet meant to make 2qts or three individual serving packets.

I've been expermenting with flavor mixing for a while, but more so now that I'm trying to reduce my bubbly beverage intake (for my tooth enamel). I've shared some in the past (such as my sweet-tart apple combo that reminds me of Honeycrisp apple - one part Walmart's Great Value apple flavor drink mix and one part Crystal Light Appletini drink mix, plus as much water as you want.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to start a thread for low-cal beverage ideas and recipes, so they'll be easier to find.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Oops almost forgot to include my most recent concoction, which reminds me of blood orange:

1 large packet orange flavored drink mix (for 2qts water). I used Roundy's store brand.
Plus 2 qts water or more (I use more). Stir well. Add 1 individual packet Cherry-limeade flavored drink mix or a small amount from a large packet (just enough to turn the beverage a reddish orange, but not enough to turn it red. If you use Propel Fitness cherry-limeade drink mix there will be no color change).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #3  
Little One

S/C/G: 208/208/165

Height: 5'4'

I have been adding fruit to my water to try and help me get more water in. Right now I am drinking water with 3 frozen whole strawberries and some lemon slices. Yum! I am experimenting with fruits, veggies and herbs. There are so many possibilities.
SweetCurves32 is offline   Reply With Quote