Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Default Got my Vertical Sleeve surgery date!

January 13! Now that it's official, I'm beginning to flutter, lol.

I have some of my supplies ready, like cups, small spoons, protein shakes, etc. Need to pick up chewable vitamins, calcium w/vit.D, sublingual Vit. B12.

Brandnewme - I know you had your surgery today. I hope we get an update as soon as you feel like it.

Any of you WLS veterans have advice for us?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

woo HOOOOO!!! the countdown is on, Jane! advice? patience. and most important, one day at a time. just focus on the NOW, don't look back, and don't worry about tomorrow. just NOW
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Thank you, Jiff!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #4  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Be as prepared as you can be (supply-wise), but don't stress it. You'll find that things you thought would work well, don't work.. and vice versa. Make sure you have something you can drink out of that will help you keep track of your liquids. I have a 20oz water tumbler and I know that ultimately I need to fill that up 3+ times.

Sip, sip, sip. Don't try to drink too much at once, no matter how good it tastes or feels on your dry mouth. If you're nauseated, let them know. You do not want to vomit - it is no fun! Here, they made me get up 3-4 times the first day to walk. If they do that to you, don't fight it - it's for your own good. Make sure you're doing your breathing exercises and your toe flexes. They make you do those things for a reason!

Good luck.. I know you can do this!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/268/200

Height: 5'7"

be prepared for acid reflux/GERD...didn't have a problem till a few months after surgery...it is only a problem when I eat too much or too fast..just be prepared for it..now that you have made the decision to have the surgery...relax and remember what the doctors/nutritionists/dieticians have drilled into you..they can alter your tummy but not your mind..that is up to you..
sueBhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #6  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations on having your date set. I just did the 1st visit with the nutritionist today. I have the psych eval in a week. I still have to do the 7 month supervised weightloss but my 1st one was last week. I am going for the vertical sleeve also. I am SO ready to feel good and be able to do things!
I hope your recovery goes well and that you feel good soon! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care!
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Thank you so much for all the good advice! I really appreciate it.

Sis - the time will fly by faster than you expect. In the meantime, keep checking in here at this forum.

Brandnewme - I know you are just a few days post op. How's it going?

Last edited by Jane; 01-02-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #8  
learning to live

You are post-op by now, and probably wondering what you were thinking! Or, at least that was how it was for me. I am hanging in there. I will be honest, this is much more difficult than I thought it would be.

I had some issues with adhesives and now can no longer have adhesives (ouch). My biggest thing is that I still can't get fluids in the way I need to, so I am dehydrated. And with the dehydration comes some pretty crappy nausea.

I also apparently developed a sensitivity to the protein supplements (have tried many) - so that's fun too. But, I am down nearly 50lbs since I started this journey in July (and much of that has been post-op), so I am going to keep sip sip sipping and try my best to stay positive.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

Brandnewme, I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with this!! It will get easier with each passing day. Did you have to get an IV for dehydration?

So far, so good for me. No pain or nausea. Just trying to get all the fluids and protein in.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #10  
learning to live

I did go in for an IV and I feel so much better. I am cheating and using a straw, but I am getting in more fluids and finally able to eat more. I said forget the protein supplements at this point, since every single one has made me sick. I am just trying to boost up my protein with the pureed foods I am eating.

I have to wonder if my issue with getting food in is partially because of being on such a long liquid diet pre-op. I am thinking that it's possible my body is just taking its sweet time getting used to having solid food again.

So glad your recovery is going smoothly! Welcome to the losers' bench!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

brandnew - are you using a blender to make your shakes? they beat A LOT of air into the liquid, and i found that i just COULD NOT keep them down. when i started mixing them without ice and without the blender, it worked much MUCH better. I just poured them over ice - i wanted them really cold.

hope this gets better for you...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations Jane! I'm glad to see that you are doing well
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #13  
GmaTo8

Thank you, Nelie!