Weight Loss Support - Last year's New Year Resolutions? This years?

Wannabeskinny
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
So I know we're all compiling our new year's resolutions but have you given thought to the ones you set out for yourself last year? Did you accomplish them? I accomplished many of them, which gives me hope that I can accomplish even more this year. Here are my 2013 accomplishments pertaining to health!

1. I successfully sought help for my injury and have graduated after 6 months of physical therapy.
2. I set out to eat salads for lunch and have succeeded - now I eat entree salads 4-5 days out of the week! That's up from 0 salads on 0 days of the week lol
3. I drink tea - hated it but now I love it. It's a perfect afternoon diversion from snacking.
4. Joined a dance class - ok that's pretty recent but I've stuck with it and love it

New Year's Resolutions 2014!!!
Ok I'm ready for my new set of health goals!

1. Eat something raw every day.
2. This will be the year of NO FAST FOOD (I've been wanting to make this resolution for a few years now, I finally feel ready to commit to this)
3. Start meditating regularly
4. Eat less red meat
5. Run a 5K in the fall (already got my shoes and activity earphones and everything else I need, time to get a move on!)

Arctic Mama
12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't remember if I even made a resolution. This year I resolve to tighten things up after slacking in the fall. If I ever want to get off the last twenty or so pounds, it's a MUST. I don't mind hanging out in the 160 range, but I would like to at least get down to 155 instead of the 162-163 I've been hanging out at to last month, so I can call seeing 160 lbs on the scale my drop-dead weight to correct and never get above it, outside of babies, again.

Remaining consistent on my TTap schedule of 4-5 days a week is also my goal, and I've been doing great. But I got lazy in the fall, right along with eating, and lost some muscle tone. I feel SO much better and look much better when I do my DVDs, so NO SLACKING OFF, MAMA!

mygirlvj
12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
I would really love to quit smoking this year. I'm on a roll with this weight thing and will be turning 40 this year so it's time.

tadaponce
12-30-2013, 07:41 PM
So here is my fitness related goals:

My goal is to loose another 19 pounds...I think my official goal weight will be to reach 160lb in 2014 and stay there!

When I reach that goal (maybe around March?) then my plan is to take my focus off my weight and focus on gaining muscle and toning up!

I also have a goal to run run an offical 5k every other month, I have signed up for one in January and another one in March...so that's awesome!!

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY- my biggest goal is continue living a healthy lifestyle through 2014 and not back track in my dirty eating, sedentary ways. If I never loose another pound...this is the most important goal of mine to keep <3

novangel
12-30-2013, 09:50 PM
I didn't make any resolutions last year. I started my weight loss journey randomly one day in Feb 2012 and I quit smoking long ago. I should cut back on red meat but I just can't. I crave it like an insane vampire.

I guess I will work on my long-time fear of flying. :o

dehtripper
12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
I used to be very cynical about New Year's and resolutions, but accidentally made (and kept) one last year, and definitely was for the better. I think it cured my of my stubborn cynicism haha.

Last Year: Get healthy in a sustainable way. I hadn't weighed myself (nor cared) about my weight since 2008.
Result: Went from well into the obesity range to a Normal BMI with tasty, healthy diet with exercise. Its helped me to make many other little positive changes to my daily life as well :)

This year: Lose a bit more, keep eating healthy and keep at the gym. Work through any lingering "baggage" to catch my brain up with my body (operation inner fat girl). Really just a continuation of last year but hey, why fix what ain't broken?

Jacqui_D
12-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I didn't make a New Year's resolution last year. I don't think I've made a New Year's resolution in the last 10 years! I knew I wasn't in the mindset to lose weight, yet for all New Year's resolutions that I can ever remember making, losing weight always topped my list. For 2014, I would like to get down to my goal weight (although I've always said my goal may change the closer I get to it. I haven't been 145 lbs in so long and now that I'm older and have saggier skin, I may find I don't want to go that low) and maintain within 10 lbs of that goal weight. Maintenance is my ultimate resolution!

SparklyBunny
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
I can't remember if I made any resolutions. I had told myself so many years, every New Year, that "this is going to be my year" and every year things just got worse and worse. So I'm very...cautious :-)

I have one thing I want to try and I'm a bit afraid of saying it out loud, as if it would then lose it's power. But...I guess it wouldn't. For me it's "always try to do the harder thing". I realized that for all my life I've always tried to escape and indulge instead of actually doing the harder thing, what ever it is at that very moment. Sure it's given me lots of instant gratification, but at the back of my mind I always knew that I had chosen the easier way. It has ended up costing me more in the long run. I think I'd be much better off always trying to do the harder thing, even if I was scared or feeling lazy. No pressure on succeeding, but if I would at least try...

NSWLG
12-31-2013, 01:19 PM
I did not make any last year but I have made a couple this yeatr. The main fitness goal is weight loss. Time will tell!

Finch13
12-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Last year's: to reach my goal weight of 58kg. This year's: to reach my goal weight of 58kg and take an overseas holiday! I'm much closer to achieving my goal than I was at this time last year: progress!

kelijpa
01-01-2014, 07:53 AM
So, years ago I read something about ways to keep your resolutions and one that stuck with me that I still do is to write your resolution somewhere farther out on your calendar.

My birthday is in Nov. so I usually write On my birthday what weight I want to be at, when April or whatever comes along and I'm ready to chuck the resolution I know there's something lurking on the calendar in Nov.

So, I didn't make it 2013, but it did spur me on to get more serious and I am within 17 pounds of my ultimate goal, so for Nov. I'm putting maintaining at goal weight.

I usually always make a resolution to get more physically and fiscally fit, and have gotten better with both over time.

Most important, don't quit, if you (or I) fall off plan, dust off and get back to it!

Best to all, happy 2014 :sunny:

Wannabeskinny
01-01-2014, 08:43 AM
@kelijspa, this is why I started off the thread with "did you accomplish last year's resolutions?" People don't take their resolutions seriously because they can't remember them most of the time. I make it a point to write mine down and then check them periodically. Writing them further down in my calendar is a good reminder, thanks for the tip! Right around Thanksgiving time when I start thinking about what I want for the new year I revisit the resolutions I wanted to complete the current year and I get cracking on them :)

I'm not at all cynical about resolutions. After all, they are just decisions that I make, much like the decisions I make on a day to day basis. If I'm not striving to be better then I'm getting worse.

newleaf123
01-01-2014, 11:20 AM
These were last years goals:

increase the amount of homemade food that my family eats, decrease the amount of restaurant food and soda
Recognize that life is short, and let go of any anger, angst, etc more quickly
Work towards health and fitness

And I am happy to say that I met them all. Still thinking about this years goals...

kelijpa
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
This is a great thread Wannabeskinny thanks for starting it. It is such a good thing to revisit your goals periodically, sometimes we get stuck in the short term goals and forget how far we've come. I really like your sentiment about striving to get better...ever forward...

NewLeaf, your new photo is great, great goals, congrats on meeting them.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts, best to all :sunny:

freelancemomma
01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Every year my husband, teens and I review our previous year's resolutions and make new ones for the coming year. We did this today. Only one of my resolutions pertained to food: "Develop strategies to become less compulsive about food in business or social situations outside my home." One strategy I have in mind is to focus more on the people/event and less on the food.

F.

CovLad98
01-01-2014, 10:29 PM
My New years resolutions for 2013 were

1.Stop drinking.. - never happened but it's a rare occasion sort of thing
2.Lose weight - Managed to do this one and enjoyed it :p
3.Be more Social - Still working on this but it's gotten better

Now for 2014

1.Be Responsible around alcohol - Haha.
2.Get fitter and more healthy - my body still needs to get into the right balance
3.Learn/experience Something - Gonna make it a job to learn/experience something new every month.

They're not entirely un-doable :) but that's me!

Wish you all the best on your journeys this year!

Samantha18
01-01-2014, 10:55 PM
I haven't had a new years resolution before, but I set some new goals to add to what I'm doing to help stay focused this year.

- Stop having seconds at dinner. This is my next habit to break for life. I tend to eat light during the day and save too many calories at dinner so I can have seconds or big portions. No seconds ever again.

- Exercise! I've been at this for a year and haven't exercised... even once. I'm sedentary so it's time to get moving for health.

krampus
01-02-2014, 11:06 AM
"Develop strategies to become less compulsive about food in business or social situations outside my home." One strategy I have in mind is to focus more on the people/event and less on the food.

Just a thought, maybe the company/entertainment is just objectively less interesting than the food! :lol: :dizzy:

I want to be more proactive at work and change up my exercise routine this year. I'm going to start training for 50+ miles of hiking in Utah in April. I'd like to cut my blobby belly off with a knife.

llove
01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I did not reach my last years resolution :( I feel like the initial motivation wore off pretty quickly.

I decided to not make a resolution this year. We'll see how that works out for me :)

monmis12
01-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I didn't really call it a new years resolution... But, after losing 120 lbs in 2000, I had let 30lbs creep back on in late 2011 and 20012 so last January, I joined myfitnesspal and started losing. Finished in June and also started running around that time.

This year, again didn't make any "resolutions" but am excited about losing a few more lbs down to mid range for my height. Mostly to help me run faster:) not really for health or looks!

Elladorine
01-02-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I resolved to get under 200 pounds last year . . . I got pregnant instead. :lol: I'm three weeks postpartum now so It's time to get cracking on that again. :)

alaskanlaughter
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
im still not sure what my resolution will be

last year my resolution was to run 3 miles on the treadmill....which has always been difficult due to my asthma....I did manage to do that once and hurt my foot in the process :( I continued to run after that all the way until last august when I seriously hurt my foot with horrible blisters and had to take a break from running to let it heal....that's when I got into weight training and liked it enough to do that almost daily instead of running

i'd REALLY like to get my weight down some more....i'm getting way too content at the weight that I am....I'm somewhere in the 180s judging from how my clothes fit although the scale has gone wild since I've started weight training, seriously messing with my head

i'm just not sure how I want to go about getting my weight down some more just yet....that will be my resolution, I think, once I decide on that

Moving Forward
01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
My New Year' resolution for this year has been on my mind a lot this past week. I didn't make a resolution last year but just planned to keep going with my weight loss and exercise. My weight is holding steady, but my exercise consistency has dropped off. My New Year's intention (note I'm finding a long-term resolution too daunting...) is to begin exercising consistently again. So what I am doing is committing to the January exercise challenge with a reward planned upon completion. When I've succeeded in January, I will re-evaluate my goal for February. It's where I'm at right now, so I say fair enough.:dizzy:

Nadia
01-02-2014, 07:49 PM
One of my resolutions this year is to complain less and try not to be negative. 2 days into the year and I am amazed at how many times I have had to stop myself. It really encourages me to keep going, because if I am really that negative and whiney, it needs to stop! I almost needed duct tape for my mouth today. I never realized my first instinct is to roll my eyes or be sarcastic or complain. Sheesh, what kind of person is that? It certainly is not who I am inside!

Inkrid
01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Weight loss: Stick with my daily plan! Emphasize health! Only weigh once a week for a truer gauge on what actually is working.

The Book of the Face: FaceBook used to be my playground, but over the years relatives from *that* side of the family and a Frienemy have infiltrated it. My resolution is to Lurk and only post once a month.

Let go of my fear and be an artist again. Resurrect and/or create a website/blog. Have spiritual cartoons that will help people.

memememe76
01-03-2014, 12:21 AM
Weight goals: Still maintain. Use the same hole in my belt.

Exercise goals: Beat 1:40 in my half marathon. I was gonna say "Start yoga" but I ended up doing that last week with my cousin when visited her. It was a lot of fun! So, "Do more yoga" and "Do more message."

Emotional goals: Focus on the fun aspects of exercise and eating well. Don't dwell so much on the "homework" aspects of maintaining a certain exercise and eating regime.

pixelllate
01-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Show myself some TLC by taking care of myself EMOTIONALLY, physically and professionally, likely involving a mix of immediate tasks, and slow, incremental projects.

SeeMyFeet
01-05-2014, 12:31 PM
ooooooo SparklyBunny....Nice and succint: "Do the HARDER thing"

That will definitely be my mantra this year!

PUPMOM5
01-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Last year was the first year I made a resolution: lose weight. I adjusted goals as I got to them (I had never tried for more than a few months, and always went back to old habits: being under 200 was a dream I didn't think possible. I have been obese since puberty.)

This year:
1) Get to a "healthy" BMI
2) Run a full 5K

merstopher
01-05-2014, 02:23 PM
1. Maintain sobriety (I'm at 9 months now)
2. Reach my goal weight (doable, it's less than 100 lbs)
3. Study/read more (I'm an MD respecializing... 2 years to go - don't want to leave everything to the last year before the royal college exams)
4. Start to integrate more social activities into my life (like join a volleyball league for example)
5. Do the "Tough Mudder" with my friends in Toronto this summer

If I do all that I will be SO happy next NYE! :carrot:

Secret Swan
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Last year: stop gaining weight! I've done great with that.
This year: do a pull-up. Wish me luck!

shcirerf
01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
I didn't make any New Years resolutions. Haven't in years. However, I did keep the last one I actually made. To NOT make any more NY resolutions.

However, in December, I take some time to think about the passing year, and and life changes and what would it be thoughtful for me to be better at.

What things are more important, what things not so much.

In the last 3 years, I have been blessed with 4 beautiful grand children!

The newest born 12-13-2013!

So, typing this bites, since I really buggered up my left pinky, unloading the barbell at the gym, pinched the cr@p out of it, anyway, for the new year, while not resolutions, just things I need to take into consideration.

Workouts, get my bu** out of bed and do it first thing. I have no excuse. I had been doing them at lunch, but that was getting to be a pain.

I am working on how to change time management, to stick with food and workouts, but also spend more time with the grand kids, and along with that, my Mother needs help. My 96 yo gramma finally said she could not stay home anymore and went to the nursing home 2 days before Thanksgiving. So, now we need to clean out our hoarding Mom's house, so she can take the antiques, and Gramma's house, and get it sold.

In the meantime, my inlaws, have been in a large, farm estate settlement, due to the death of my DH's grandmother. Fight, fight, fight, fight!:devil:

That is finally getting solved.

Anyway, for the new year, while it's not a resolution, I realize, what I need to do is practice patience and forgiveness. With myself first, I'm no good to no one else, if I'm not patient and forgiving with myself.

Beyond that, some days will be good and some days, not, all of this family stuff. But, I have great siblings, and a great Dh, and we will get through it!:D

Thousandsunny
01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I made the same clichéd "lose weight and eat better" resolution I had made every New Year's eve so this year I decide to do a more targeted approach. I'm going to go to the gym at least 4 days a week, I'm going to cut out diet soda, I'm going to keep a food journal (I suuuuuuck at this,) and I'm going to try not to be so critical of my body. Al hopefully doable. And good luck to all of you with yoyra!

PostWeddingsmallsize
01-05-2014, 11:20 PM

1. Try to work out at the gym once or twice a week. FAILED :(
-Was too depressed about money made a lot of excuses.

2. Wanted to eat better cook more. SUCESS - Learned to cook more ate much healthier and organized recipes.

3. Drink coffee at home - SUCESS - Less calories than out to eat but more calories than before because I'm using soy milk which is fine with me.

4. Make a solid routine and keep it. - FAILED No routine

5. Maintain weight. Did so until Nov

1. Make a routine and stick to it. Morning work out (run or swim at night)
2. Switch up recipes
3. Make a weekly menu and stick to it
4. More healthy snacks
5. No more stuffing myself - Mindful eating

Missed the polar plunge this year due to illness next year skipping events that lead to messing up NYD plans.

Dottington
01-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Last year I promised myself I would maintain my previous weight loss and get solidly into the healthy bmi range which I did :carrot:

This year I want to lose the last 20lbs ;)