40-Somethings - 40-Somethings Valentine Day Challenge and Daily Accountability Thread

Sum38
12-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Valentine's Day is 7+ weeks away. We can melt off some holiday pounds before the spring season starts!

Who's with me?

I will be posting my daily meals, daily exercise and daily weigh in.

Sum38
12-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Mods, can you please fix the title to 40-somethings ;) Thank you!!

wantochange
12-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I'll join you!!!! Hard to believe only 7 weeks. I will be in Mexico for a week early in Feb so this may be hard, but I'm in.

Good luck to everyone.

S/C/G - 160 / 156 / 140

Mrs Snark
12-24-2013, 02:50 PM
$0 makes me feel so hip. Or hip hop. ;)

I'll be here, working towards a good V day.

seagirl
12-24-2013, 04:27 PM
If I could be below 180 by then I would love that! I'm losing about 1/2 pound a week. I started Wellbutrin a couple of months ago and it has very much helped with my over eating. I basically eat like a "normal person" without really trying.

But I also want to walk more and stick to my sit ups/push ups/squats from now until then too.

magical
12-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Great title! As if we're getting a $ reward if we're successful with the challenge.

Would love to join in as well. My challenge is to do 50 mins cardio and 10 mins strength 3 times a week. Just got to get the motivation to exercise going. I have a love hate relationship with this.

magical
12-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Lol, Seagirl, just saw you siggy in your post above. Yes! Commitment not motivation is what I'm lacking!

MarleneV
12-25-2013, 12:30 AM
I'm in. Newly participating in 40-something thread, posted my bio in that thread.

I decided I'm taking off today and tomorrow (Christmas Eve & Day), and then getting back to it the day after. Added about 2.5 lbs to my normal due to recent parties, would like those back off. Shouldn't take much, but checking in will be good.

Mrs Snark
12-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Welcome seagirl, MarleneV and magical!

Sum38
12-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Welcome seagirl, MarleneV and magical!! Nice to have you here.

We finally got our power back. It is nice to be home on xmas morning. Kiddoes are young adults and teens and they are still asleep :lol: Far gone are the days when they woke us up to open presents :( I guess it will happen again once grandkids enter into the mix. (No rush to have them yet though :))

Yesterday

Meals
Bfast Decaf coffee
Lunch ~ Bacon and roasted potatoes
Dinner ~ Roast beef, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad, green beans, shrimp

Exercise
None

Weight this am

Zumbachica
12-25-2013, 03:22 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I have been gone a while! I am finally moved into my new house, I absolutely love it and feel so at peace here. Of course there was drama with my ex..but that will never change. He's pathetic and I strive to always be the better person.
I haven't been dieting...I Pretty much have been eating what I want. I haven't gained, I haven't lost. I think all the physical activity of moving kept me from making huge gains.......
I feel like I have started a new life...so with that new life I need a new body and mindset...so yes....I am joining this challenge.....the past few challenges I failed miserably, although it was nice to check in with "the chicks" every day. It really is time to get serious though....this is the final leg of this "jouney" and I want to prove to myself that I can be healthy and fit again.........so count me in ladies! I'll post my starting weight tomorrow!!!

Zumbachica
12-25-2013, 03:26 PM
by the way, my bday is in feb..what better way to celebrate than by being fit and fabulous!!!!

seaurchin
12-25-2013, 04:02 PM
I am in! I have been 'maintaining' since August (gaining and losing the same 5 pounds) and hope to lose 10 pounds by Valentines day. My challenge is exercising. I tend to do well the first two weeks of the month, then slack off the last two weeks.

newleaf123
12-26-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm in. Would like to lose some weight. Will post starting weight on Monday.

MarleneV
12-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Weight this morning - 128.5

B- egg, 1 slice bacon, orange
L- salad, chicken, orange, 8 animal crackers
S- 3 small toll house cookies
D- ham, potatoes with cream, salad, French bread slice, pink moscato
S- chocolate cream pie
E- 20 minutes elliptical

I planned on the cookies & pie. Never normally eat those, and can avoid the leftovers. Husband & older daughter leave on trip tomorrow, so they won't be here wanting all kinds of junk (and will take the cookies with them). They will be gone for 2 & 1/2 weeks.

Cattails
12-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Yay, Sum, you are powerful again! Thanks for starting a new challenge. I met my Xmas Eve challenge of staying under 120 and that is my Valentine's Day challenge as well. NOT posting my food today, too much junk, but tomorrow I will be accountable.

mezmerelda
12-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm in!

B - Small apple and 2T pb

Leeh
12-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm in. I am going to be having some weird meals over the month of January because our kitchen is being gutted and remodeled. I am expecting lots of microwaving and toaster oven meals. I also have tons of sushi restaurant gift cards to use. I hope I can make smart choices.

Sum38
12-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Today, I have been a lean (lol, yeah right...), mean cleaning machine :) I cleaned and I really CLEANED my bathroom out. I removed a garbage bag full of cosmetics and lotions that have not been used in 8 months (since we moved in to this house). So I figured I would not be using them at all. I actually have some empty counter and shelf area :woohoo: Hubby will be happy!

I took a day off from exercise, my knee is hurting, and has been hurting all week. I may need to go and visit a doctor because I suspect it is the ACL that is causing this misery. It has been hurting on and off for a year now.

It is so nice to see so many new (and old) 40 something faces here. It will be a fun challenge!

Sum38
12-26-2013, 05:23 PM
BTW, I thinks MODS don't bother reading our thread... we must be the non trouble makers...lol

Mods, I am am still wanting you to change the title to 40- something ;)

Zumbachica
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Hello all! I weighed in today....not a pretty sight, wow.....definitely did some damage the past week....but that was to be expected..no shock here....I decided to start my new program on Saturday so that I can finish up the leftovers I have from Christmas...also it will give me some time to prepare emotionally.....

Valentines stuff is out in the stores already....a reminder to get on with the challenge and meet some goals.......

magical
12-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Do the mods read everything?

Well, I'm up by 3 lbs after overeating in a big way on Christmas day. A big family gathering deserves a little bit of indulgence! We had exotic and deli food, sweet desserts, yum :)

Now, it's back to business with the eating and exercising. Planning on doing an hour in a short while.

Leeh
12-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Just to clarify. If santa puts chocolate in your stocking it is calorie free, right?

Zumbachica
12-26-2013, 07:18 PM
LOL Leeh...if it is then I'm going to be eating the chocolate I put in my kids stockings and calling it a day.

Chubby mum
12-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm in! I don't seem to get much time to post but I'm definitely here. I'm only down two pounds over December which is a bit discouraging so hoping for a better challenge this time. I think I need to run more, my plan for the next seven weeks is to run at least 4 times a week and not stop at the top of the hills.

My body is changing back to normal though, my muscle tone is improving and instead of still looking round and pregnant the fat is merely hanging off my stomach - it's still pretty gross.

I'd like to lose 4kg in seven weeks which should be achievable.

MarleneV
12-26-2013, 09:51 PM
128.5 this morning. I want to be at or below 125.

B- MRC protein drink, egg, cheese stick, orange
L- salad, chicken, orange, 8 animal crackers
S- cheese stick, orange
D- ham. Potatoes with cream, salad, 8 animal crackers
Evening snack - no sugar added ice cream.
8+ cups of water, 1 diet 7 up, no exercise (feeling blah all day)
Ends the day with aprox 1225 cal

Cattails
12-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Whoo, MarleneV, you're almost there! That's awesome. Leeh, I love your chocolate philosophy - I got a stocking packed with the stuff. Good going, Chubby Mom, losing anything in December is an achievement. Sum, sorry to hear about your knee - hope that can be resolved.

I weighed in at 117 today; that makes me a happy chick, whew - no gain! Now to hold the line...

B: half a banana
S: bit of nuts, seeds and raisins
L: chips and salsa, chicken in sour cream sauce, bit of rice and beans, green salad
S: piece of gingerbread cake, dried mango, coffee
S: apple, 1 ounce of dark chocolate, lightly buttered popcorn

love2b150
12-27-2013, 01:42 AM
I posted in the old thread didn't realize/know this one was set up

weigh in this morning 180.2

1 ~ get back to ticker weight of 177.4 by the first of the year
2 ~ get to 175 which was my Christmas challenge goal
3 ~ get as close to 170 as possible by the end of this challenge

Sum38
12-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Thank you MODS :hug:

Sum38
12-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Yesterday was my fast day. I simply was not that hungry.

Meals
B ~ Green Tea
L ~ None
D ~ Chili
S ~ Chocolate

Exercise
None

Weight

Sum38
12-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Just to clarify. If santa puts chocolate in your stocking it is calorie free, right?

Absolutely! Yesterday, I ate chocolate that secret Santa brought, and I lost weight :) It must be calorie free.

Zumbachica
12-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Hello all...well I ate with reckless abandon today and saw a real scary number on the scale today....so......I am more determined than ever to do this.....especially because I have a "boyfriend" now that likes taking me to nice places and I want to wear dresses and pretty clothes (blush**) So...here are some goals and how I plan to get to them....

1. Get to 139 by Valentines Day so I can wear this hot to trot dress for my bday that weekend....

2. Eat healthier and be healthier..get that cholesterol down without the use of medication!!!

3. get toned...stronger arms and firmer thighs if that is even possible at this age.

How I plan on getting there:

Count calories, make good low carb choices and Practice intermittent fasting although I don't know how to do that exactly. I"d like to have some "fast" days.

Two days of weight lifting, Tuesday and Fridays after my zumba classes.

Kettle bells at home and walking when this deep freeze is over.

WATER WATER WATER WATER...(I am walking around dehydrated, I'm sure).

I really need to do this, I haven't achieved any weight loss goals in ages..I hate how I look, I hate how I feel. Im tired of hating me.......

Sum38
12-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a nice goal, Zumba

MarleneV
12-28-2013, 01:50 AM
128.0 this am (our scale does only even and half lbs...)

B- protein bar
L-salad, chicken, orange, animal crackers
S-orange, cheese stick
D-tri-tip, potatoes with cream, salad, orange, animal crackers
S- no sugar added ice cream, magic pop rice cake
8 cups water

Approx 1290 calories before exercise

Exercise - 1.5 mile fast walk.

Good things today - the potatoes are leftovers. I am eating between 1/2 & 2/3 cup, and have one serving left. Before, I would have just eat ALL of what was left. Also, there are 7 chocolate chip cookies left after everyone took what they wanted for their trips. I have not eaten any since the 3 on Christmas. I am not going to eat any, I'm taking them to a car club meeting in the morning & giving away... :)

TZTZ
12-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Count me in on this challenge :cheer3:
I'm new to this forum or any forum for that matter so this should be fun.
I would like to lose 10 lbs by then and be 160.
:goodluck: to everyone!

Mrs Snark
12-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Gah, I am up 1.6 pounds this week to 145.8. Must stop drinking every night, seriously. With dear hubby on vacation, I've had fancy drinks every day, and it is adding up I think.

Sigh.

Sum38
12-28-2013, 09:39 AM
I did not keep tabs what I ate yesterday. I think I did okay calorie wise and scale dropped 1 pound. -- For exercise I hiked for 4 miles and did step aerobics for 60 minutes. Total steps came to nearly 18000. Woot! -- I am off to a great start; hoping I can maintain the mojo going forward ;)

I think today I will swim for 60 minutes and walk for 4 miles.

I think I am doing really well what comes to exercise, but my eating is always off. I hope 2014 will be a better year what comes to my meals and my overall view on food.

love2b150
12-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Good morning Everyone,

Leeh and Sum what kind of chocolate did you eat? dark/milk? and how much,

Zumba love your plan for the challenge and glad things have come together nicely for you :hug:

Marlene wow you have done/and you're doing great :) Did you just start in March? What plan are you following?

TZTZ :wel3fc: and the thread :)

Michelle, I think it's great to enjoy the fancy drinks with your husband. It's only temporary (vacation) and you know what to do to get things back in order :)

Sum you're doing well as usual keep up the great work :)

I am one pound from my ticker weight. YAY ME! I weighed in at 178.4 thanks to my friend Mr. Treadmill and finally some decent eating and water yesterday ;)

I hope you all have a great day

Sum38
12-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Rennie I ate 6 truffles from Harry and David, the rest was dark chocolate. -- But I really need to work hard on giving up chocolate; maybe save it for a PMS day (not days).

love2b150
12-28-2013, 11:37 AM
LOL Sum, I love the Lindor truffles but I wouldn't dare touch them. :nono: I have some awfully bitter Ghirardelli chocolate so of course I can only eat one square :) thank goodness. I read it was good for something but can't remember what so I've stopped eating it. My son-in-law eats a piece from time to time :)

marier4him
12-28-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm new to 3fatchicks and I saw the V Day challenge. I would love to have some weight loss buddies.

:carrot:

MarleneV
12-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Marlene wow you have done/and you're doing great :) Did you just start in March? What plan are you following?

I am one pound from my ticker weight. YAY ME! I weighed in at 178.4 thanks to my friend Mr. Treadmill and finally some decent eating and water yesterday ;)

I hope you all have a great day

I actually started MRC (Metobolic Research Centers, which is a keto/low carb/high protein) in July 2012. I hit goal(135) in May 2013. I'm sticking with low carb, high protein, and low glycemic because it works for me, and because I have early stage macular degeneration, and keeping the weight off & eating this way is supposed to help delay progression of this.

Good job on getting close to your ticker! Doing those things will get you there.

Leeh
12-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Good morning Everyone,

Leeh and Sum what kind of chocolate

I just had crap chocolate (Hershey kisses, Reese peanut butter cups) in my stocking.

I still could eat my body weight in it.
I bought a mini bottle of champers for NYE. In the past I would have happily polished off a magnum over the evening with my husband but, instead I bought enough for just 2 glasses. I also bought steak, shrimp and lobster and I will grab some asparagus on Tuesday.

Cattails
12-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Mm, I love dark bitter chocolate - don't find milk chocolate worth the bother! I keep a stash of dark chocolate of different varieties to 'indulge' in most evenings; makes it easier to resist temptations when I know that later I'll have some of the good stuff. Like you said, Rennie, the intense taste of it makes it easier to portion control as well, so I seldom have more than 1 ounce, and sometimes less.

Welcome, marier4him and TZTZ!

Donna18
12-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I am in I want to lose 7 pounds in 7 weeks. Will post diet excercise and weigh daily I am starting at 174 want to be 167 by 2/14/14

MarleneV
12-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Mm, I love dark bitter chocolate - don't find milk chocolate worth the bother! I keep a stash of dark chocolate of different varieties to 'indulge' in most evenings; makes it easier to resist temptations when I know that later I'll have some of the good stuff. Like you said, Rennie, the intense taste of it makes it easier to portion control as well, so I seldom have more than 1 ounce, and sometimes less.

Welcome, marier4him and TZTZ!

I'm with you on the dark chocolate too, milk chocolate is blech! My secret is either Godiva dark chocolate pearls (8 are only 25 calories, but I can take 1 and just let it melt in my mouth & I'm good), or AmberLyn sugar free dark Belgium chocolate. This is 47 calories for a square, and is low carb and gluten free too. I found that at Costco, if you belong, check AmberLyn's website (google it) to see if they will be road showing the product in your local store. If you like good chocolate, I think you'll like it.

Funny, because I used to always eat chocolate (and all I could get my hands on) and since I've been on my plan, I occasionally really enjoy it, but I have some of both of the above, and haven't had any for at least a week. I keep it well-hidden from everyone else though, or it wouldn't be there when I went back to it...

MarleneV
12-29-2013, 01:30 AM
127.0 this am

B- 2 eggs over easy, 1 slice bacon, refried beans (breakfast out with car club, but I got rid of the rest of the cookies!)
S- Costco - 1 Itailian meatball, small taste chicken sausage, 1 bit of ham.
L- salad, chicken, animal crackers, orange
D- chicken breast, sour cream, salsas, spinach, black beans (restaurant) 2 diet coke & Malibu rums
S- orange, no sugar added choc ice cream
Water - 8 cups, exercise 1.75 mile fast walk
Approx 1300 calories before walk. I need to stay out of Costco!

Sum38
12-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Another day that I did not log my food :nono: Scale went even lower; I am 0.6 pounds away from my monthly goal. -- My double exercise days are working. I walked for 4.5 miles and swam for 40 minutes.

Plan for today

B ~ Green Tea
L ~ Porkloin salad with avocado, tomato, peppers, onions and oil and vinegar dressing.
D ~ Filet Mignon; bell peppers, broccoli, onion in Evoo
S ~ TBD

Exercise
Step aerobics (60 min)
Walk 4.5 miles

Weight

Sum38
12-29-2013, 09:49 AM
I am dusting off my South Beach Diet Cookbook. Anyone here follows SB?

I am debating if I should do phase 1 or just skip into phase 2? I don't know if I need the cleansing part of the diet...what do you think?

Mrs Snark
12-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Welcome tztz, marier4him, Donna!

TwynnB
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Sum 38 - I'm on SBD - if you have lots of cravings for carbs, then I'd absolutely do phase I. If not, you probably could skip to phase II. I find I do a lot better if I do "phase 1.5", which is no grains.

I kept thinking of joining you ladies here for a bit better accountability. I hang daily in the SBD forum, but we tend to chat more about life than diet ;). Sum38's post prompted me to make the plunge.

I'm one of those that lost weight (20 lbs), and gained most of it back. That darned creep! I'm a realist though, so I'll go all out after the 1st.

Sum38
12-29-2013, 01:46 PM
TwynnB Welcome!

You have a good point about carbs; I have Celiac so breads and pastas are not part of my diet. I do eat rice or potato each day, though. -- I just made my meal plan for the upcoming week, and I am following phase 1 atleast for the first week, I may introduce fruit back into my diet after week one; I shall see how it goes. The cookbook is filled with yummy meals!

Mrs Snark
12-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Twynn - love your avatar photo, that is one cute pup!

I continue to rock the exercise... and the liquor. That's balance, right?

Ha.

Cattails
12-29-2013, 08:13 PM
MarleneV, I have sampled AmberLyn at Costco and it is good! I'm tempted to buy some but artificial sweeteners make me a little nervous. Have you had any trouble with the sweetener in AmberLyn chocolate?

Sum, good going on the scale front! I loosely follow SB and I agree, lots of great recipes. As for what phase to do, gotta follow your gut! (Hee-hee, I couldn't resist being punny!)

Ah, Mrs Snark, you're funny, too!

Welcome, TwynnB!

Cattails
12-29-2013, 08:16 PM
B: yogurt with chia and banana
L: three meatballs
S: two chocolates, a carrot
D: grilled chicken and zucchini, green salad with Italian dressing
S: 1 oz lemon pepper dark chocolate, dried mango (too much!)

wantochange
12-29-2013, 08:18 PM
It's so hard to loose during the holidays. I'm up 2 lbs but started back on SB ish today.

I broke my foot almost 2 months ago but didn't know it until last week. I have been still walking a lot but no standing exercise and now I can't walk either. Floor exercises are my only exercise right now.

I need to stop self medicating to dull the pain. Good bye wine; rum and diet sprite. .... hum don't like that idea one bit.

I weigh myself again on Friday so fingers crossed that I can do this.

Good luck to everyone.

love2b150
12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
:wel3fc: and to the thread marier :)

Thanks Marlene :) I'm sure your way of eating would work for me if I had some help and discipline. I have typr 2 diabetes. I really wish I had a person that I could talk to face to face to be accountable. I love 3FC and the friends I've made here but the face to face accountability would be great :) Marlene that's the way treats are in here for me. The things I think they won't like they like, I wonder how they know :D I like your menu today :)

LOL Leeh, I think I could eat my weight in Reece's & KitKats ;) I'll gladly take a virtual plate from your house on NYE :drool:

Cattails :) I wish more things made it easier for portion control :lol:

:wel3fc: and to the thread Donna :)

Sum I wish I had your energy and will :)

:welcome: to the thread Tammy :)

Michelle LOL whatever works ;)

wantochange :wel3fc: and to the thread, Sorry about your foot. :crossed: for a good weigh in :)

I was down 2 more pounds of water today to 176.4, didn't expect that. Today I ate cornbread, potato salad and 2 cookies at a reception. I am hoping that the collards that I ate help to combat some of that ;). I ate a baked chicken thigh and one meatball also. Now to get my water in before bed. Hoping tomorrows weigh in is the same as todays :crossed: not up at all :)

MarleneV
12-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Rennie, what I liked about MRC was that I checked in with a coach 2 times a week. That was certainly accountability. I was/am doing the "At Home" program, so my check-ins are via phone call. I still talk to her, just not as often. It is nice to know I have someone I can call if I need help. The menu was actually what I ate yesterday, I'm posting it at the end of the day. I like what I eat though, and it works well for me.

Do you have someone in your house that would work well as the person who to be accountable to? Or a friend that lives nearby? For me, in addition to the coach, everyone at my office knew that I was on the program, and while they never judged, I felt like they were watching me (except our receptionist, who is a grandmotherly type who pushes junk...).

I'd tell you to come visit me for a while... Last year at Christmas we had a high school student from another country staying with us for a month. She wasn't obese, but was over what would be ideal. She basically ate what I was eating, even though the rest of my family would eat junk. She lost 15 lbs while here, and stuck with it after she got home and lost some more. Then a few months ago, one of my cousins came for a long weekend. Even with eating several meals out, she was still eating similar to me, and she lost 2 lbs over a 5 day weekend.

MarleneV
12-30-2013, 12:11 AM
MarleneV, I have sampled AmberLyn at Costco and it is good! I'm tempted to buy some but artificial sweeteners make me a little nervous. Have you had any trouble with the sweetener in AmberLyn chocolate?

Cattails, I have not had problems with the sweetener, but I don't really seem to have any problems with any of them. No headaches, tummy upsets or anything. I know some people do seem to have issues though. I spoke to the gentleman at Costco about it at some length, he said that people don't have problems with it, but then again, his job is to sell the stuff!

MarleneV
12-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Skipped the scale this morning... got up late & had to go take care of animals.

B - MRC Meal Replacement Shake
L - Salad, chicken, feta cheese, 6 black olives, guacamole, salsa, orange, animal crackers
S - cheese stick, veggies with low fat dip, a few potato chips (at church)
D - tri-tip, potatoes with cream (almost gone), salad, orange
S - MRC choc pudding
Exercise - 3.5 mile fast walk
8 cups of water
Approx 1260 cal before walking

My big victory today is not polishing off the potatoes. This is a family recipe that is YUM! It never lasts long, but since everyone is gone, I can eat a little bit and know that it will still be there when I go back. If my daughter eats the last bit, I won't mind.

Cattails
12-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Thanks, MarleneV, that's good to know your own experience. Next time Amberlyn comes to my town, I'll try to get some. And I agree, Godiva is excellent stuff!

Rennie, I know what you mean - I often have wished that I could have somebody standing by me all the time telling me what to eat and how much. Free choice is hard! LOL Hope you can keep a little voice inside you that reminds you to be good to yourself by feeding your body in the way it needs, instead of how your mind wants. I guess in a way I'm lucky that my own body has gotten really sensitive to bad eating: too much sugar or junk and I feel so lousy that I regret it and stay away from that kind of indulgence. Figuring out what foods keep me feeling well has been a real learning experience and one that I keep relearning over and over. :)

B: eggs scrambled with onions and mushrooms, coffee
S: chips and salsa
D: big asian salad with chicken and saifun noodles
S: choc covered blueberries, coffee

Chubby mum
12-30-2013, 06:49 AM
Everyone's food sounds so yummy, and there's not that much of it! I'm beginning to realise that I've always been able to eat a reasonable amount (prob 2000 calories/day) without gaining and never thought about it Given it's taken longer than I'd like to properly shift this baby weight I'm going to mentally add calories for a bit to see if it helps. I'll aim to not go over 2000 which probably sounds like a lot but I'm exclusively breastfeeding and running hard.

Or maybe it's my "visceral fat" coming off first? I'd never really heard of that before - a fitness instructor said that when restarting exercise you tend to lose your visceral fat before your subcutaneous fat and, when combined with an increase in lean muscle, means that the scales can be slow to move. That would fit with how my body looks better and my clothes are fitting better but the scales haven't moved as much as I'd like.

One of the hardest things during these long summer holidays with water baby children is that they're constantly hungry and I feel like I'm constantly fixing them food. Granted, it's almost all fresh and healthy but it's hard not to nibble.

At least with 4 kids New Years is a non event...

TwynnB
12-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the welcome y'all. (I lived in NC for 8 years, can't drop the southern sometimes :D) I guess most people are on this thread instead of the daily?

I'm really trying to get in the mindset of weight loss, I'm sure most of you know what I mean. I did quite awesome on sbd, and it works so well when you stick to it, but life interferes (and I have 2 small children), so one slowly eats stuff you probably shouldn't when one gains weight easily. Hopefully having better accountability will help me out. I didn't mind gaining some weight back (my initial low was 122...that was absolutely nothing off plan, *maybe* 1200 cal/day, and running 15-20 miles/week), but I'm uncomfortable where I got back to. I'd like to get down to 130ish and stay there. Funny, since I'm physically in way better shape then I used to be, my "fat" clothes are still way baggy on me.

I was going to start back Jan 2nd, but last night decided on today (with a blip tomorrow night that was preplanned NYE party) because I want to. It worked, eating what I wanted, I'm craving healthy foods!

See you around!

Sum38
12-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I dropped a little bit more weight, woot! I have lost total 4 pounds in month of December. I am quite happy with that!

Plan for today it to follow SBD;

Meals
B ~ Green Tea
L ~ California Wrap, Black Bean Dip w/ celery
D ~ Spice rubbed chicken fingers, sauteed peppers and onions, green salad
S ~ Chilled espresso custard

Exercise
4.5 mile walk
weight lifting 45 min

Weight

mezmerelda
12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Back on track today.

B - small apple and 2T PB
S - hard boiled egg
L - Salad from grocery store salad bar (it's good and healthy)
S - string cheese
D - chicken tortilla soup, without the tortilla :)

TwynnB
12-30-2013, 03:54 PM
B: ham and cheese omelette
S: veggies and hummus
L: ham bean and cabbage soup
D: pork loin with veggies

magical
12-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Checking in. Done 2 workouts this week and the third will be in a short while. Eating has been good. Stepped on scales to see the post-Christmas indulgence weight down to 126.7. TOM started yesterday too so can't complain with the scales as I'm usually heavier until post-TOM.

Sounds as if everyone is doing well so far and very motivated!

newleaf123
12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi! I got home late last night from 6 days at my parents' house in FL. Scale was up to 162.0 this AM but I am hoping it's only temporary; I can't have put on 4 real pounds in 6 days.

My goal is to be back to 152 by Valentines Day. I think I've had enough candy and treats in the last week such that I won't even be tempted in that regard. Here's hoping. And yes zumba, I saw the V- day candy in the stores too. Unbelievable. (Glad to read about your fab boyfriend!)

Zumbachica
12-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Hi all....well I have decided that I can't start my new eating program until after new years...having the kids here and off from school isn't helping.....seems like every two minutes I'm cooking for someone....or have acess to snacks I have no business eating.....time for me to focus on me a little bit......

B: hard boiled egg
L: Bubba burger on a bun, onion and lettuce, ketchup and mayo.
D: small portion of whole wheat pasta, one meatball and sauce.
monchego cheese
S: chocolate cookies

not the best of days....but its done and I'm not crying over it. I taught two zumba classes today.

MarleneV
12-31-2013, 12:45 AM
127.5... Had continuing education at work today, therefore lunch & snack not my normal...

B- 2 hard boiled eggs, orange, coffee with creamer
L-1 slice thin crust veggie pizza, salad, 3 halo oranges
S-margarita, cheese stick
D-tilapia, 2oz brown rice, salad, berries
S- no sugar added ice cream, animal crackers

No exercise, don't feel like it, too cold! 8+ cups of water

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Good day today.

B: cappuccino, steel-cut oats with raisins
S: chunk of cheddar cheese
L: spicy fennel & chick pea stew
D: veggie burrito (onion, red pepper, mushroom, zucchini, tomato, spinach) with a tablespoon of sour cream and sprinkle of cheese, 1/2 acorn squash

Cattails
12-31-2013, 04:52 AM
Virtuous day: long workout and moderate intake :)

B: yogurt with chia and kiwi
L: salad with beans, chicken, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
S: dried mango, coffee
D: same salad as above, zucchini strips with mushroom marinara, garlic bread
S: 1 oz dark chocolate, coffee

Woo-hoo, Sum, way to go!

And :newyear: to everyone!

love2b150
12-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Good Morning :wave:

Quick post

I never got to see 175 but I did lose 5.6lbs for the month :)

Have a great day Everyone and Happy New Year, Blessings to ALL :hug:

Leeh
12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Good morning. Slow and steady wins the race, right? The scale continues to move in the right direction albeit not as quickly as I might have liked.
I am feeling a bit healthier everyday and, am hopeful that my liver function tests were just wonky because of a virus and not because of permanent damage due to my eating habits. Either way I have to smarten up.

It doesn't look like I will hit 195 for the New Year but I may get in the 195 point somethings....it will be close.
I do have a single serving of champagne and some steak and lobster to look forward to tonight. I bought in portion control amounts. It ends up a bit more expensive but I can't over indulge that way.

Sum38
12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
I LOVE reading everybody's meals!

I had a nice OP day yesterday. I over dozed on veggies for dinner...lol

Meals
B ~ Green Tea
L ~ Pinto bean dip w/ celery.
D ~ LOTS of green veggies, California Wrap (2)

Exercise
Rest Day, my muscles needed it

Weight this am

haggis
12-31-2013, 09:53 AM
If it is not too late I would like to join this challenge, as February 14 is close enough to be tangible but far enough to allow for some real movement. I will try for 10 lbs as I hope some on the scale is a result of holiday volume. Nothing like being accountable to start the new year off right.

Sum38
12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Welcome haggis! Nice to have you on board!

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Welcome haggis and everyone else who is new and joined while I was out of town! 160.0 this AM, down 2 from yesterday, phew! 8 pounds to go by 2/14. Totally doable if I screw my head on right. Exercise needs to happen...

Mrs Snark
12-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Back from an overnight on the boat, feeling tired and wind burned.

Welcome haggis!

Sum38
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Mrs. Snark, I want your life :) It is bitter cold here and we received another inch of snow.

Mrs Snark
12-31-2013, 12:48 PM
I did have to wear a sweatshirt. With shorts. And I slept in the cockpit under the stars.

We pay for all this nice winter weather with brutally hot and humid summers of course, so it is a tradeoff!

Sum38
12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
I was in Key West in one July and I must admit, it was pretty awful.

I do like winter and cold, though. (Afterall I am a Finn :D) As long as one dressed appropriately for the cold, it is tolerable.

I love Michigan summers.

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 01:56 PM
I was in Sanibel, FL last week and the thing I couldn't stand was the no-see-ums. They even sneak through the screens onto the lanai! My father says that you grow immune to them over time. Has that been your experience, Michelle? Had a lovely kayak trip in the bayou at sunset -- tons of white pelicans!

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 02:03 PM
<--------------- photo taken last Friday after walking to the beach in Captiva.

TooWicky
12-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Hello! I would love to join this challenge as well. I have a modest Valentine's Day goal that is super important to me... Lose 8 lbs and get to 191 lbs, which will make me no longer obese!!! I would also like to add on a fitness goal. I have not even started any sort of exercising yet since I started dieting >< I would like to set a modest fitness goal of exercising 3 times per week until Valentines Day.

I'm somewhat embarrassed because comparing my daily diet to everyone elses, mine seems very erm prepackaged with not a lot of fresh foods. Everyone's choices seem much more appetizing and delicious than mine. Hoping I get inspired to try some new dishes.

Good luck everyone :hug:

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 05:34 PM
tooWicky the great thing is that you can lose on so many different foods... And clearly, you have been very successful; congratulations!

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 05:37 PM
leeh in my book, hitting 195.x = hitting 195!! Fingers crossed for you!

MarleneV
12-31-2013, 11:56 PM
126.5 this am. Hope this sticks (or drops)!

B-cream of wheat, egg, cheese
L- Jersy Mike's roast beef & provolone sub in a tub (not impressed BTW), animal crackers, orange
S- mixed berries, cheese stick
D- salad with chicken, feta, guacamole. 2 oz brown rice
8+ cups of water, walking at mall exercise
Approx 1300 calories

newleaf123
01-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Good food day.

B: cappuccino
L: veggie burrito filling (no tortilla) with a tbs of sour cream mixed in
S: canned pumpkin mixed with Greek yogurt, a splash of unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon, and ground ginger
S: sliver of HM pumpkin chocolate bread
D: Tuscan bean stew, thin slice of wheat bread with white bean spread, 2 chicken wings, 2 slices of salami, a few shavings of cheese, unsweetened applesauce

shr1nk1ngme
01-01-2014, 01:07 AM
I'll join! I will post goals and challenges, meals, fitness accomplishments, and every-other-day weigh-ins. I need the accountability.

I am hoping to be about 12-16 pounds down by Valentine's Day.

http://swlf.lilyslim.com/m4H0m8.png

Sum38
01-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Survived the new year's eve with minimal amount of damage.

Meals
B ~ Green Tea
L ~ California Wrap
D ~ Pintobean dip w/celery
S ~ Assorted veggies

Exercise
4.2 mile walk
Weights 45 min

Weight
Up 0.2 pounds

newleaf123
01-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Nice job, marlene!

Great goals, shrinkiningMe!

Glad you had a good evening, sum!so what are these California wraps that you've been having lately?

Good day for me yesterday. Still dropping my travel bloat, thankfully. 158.9 thus AM.

Sum38
01-01-2014, 10:39 AM
They are lettuce leaves filled with ham, turkey, tomato, avocado and tiny bit of ranch dressing. They are quite filling and south beach approved.

BTW, I love your new avi; you always have the best avis!

newleaf123
01-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks, sum! those wraps sound good! Nice tobe having avocado in the dead of winter... Yum!

haggis
01-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Starting slowly but moving in the right direction. Have done sit-ups 2 days in a row and while not on plan yet, thinking more about food choices. Learning a lot from the comments here, and find that posting is a very good motivator. Weight was the same this morning.....will need to get that moving asap.

newleaf123
01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
haggis posting here is a very good motivator, I agree. Even at my busiest, I try to pop in for at least a check in. My experience has been that when I go away for good, it's because I've thrown in the towel. Don't want to ever do that again...

TooWicky
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
weight - 198½ (no change)

meals - Smart One's frozen meal, Fazoli's lighter options Chicken Mushroom Alfredo Bake, big salad w/veggies and packaged salmon
snacks - celery & PB2, protein bar, cereal with milk
treats - square of chocolate
odds n ends - glass of wine :newyear:

fitness - erm, I shopped for fitness wear; bought yoga pants and shorts

shr1nk1ngme
01-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Started at 166.4 yesterday (I don't weigh in on most DownDays)

Today is a DownDay so I will be eating very simply/minimally today.

Breakfast:
Coffee with soy milk
Supplements
Psyllium husks drink

Lunch:
Hard boiled egg
Vegetable broth

Supper:
Egg beaters omelette 1/3 cup
Vegetable broth

I know it seems like too little but the point of JUDDD/IF is to alternate days of near-fasting with high calorie days. It's a kind of calorie cycling. I can look forward to a higher calorie day tomorrow!

Exercise:
Bosu balance squats
Weights - arms/shoulders
10 minute abs video
Walking the dog tonight, 2 miles ~ with weights

Leeh
01-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Breakfast- tons of veggies- one egg omelette
Lunch-bowl of homemade chili(about 1,5 cups)
Supper- not sure yet possibly curried lentils and basmati rice

Mrs Snark
01-01-2014, 07:17 PM
A whole new year, yippee! I wonder what it will bring!

B : apple; coffee
L : giant black bean burrito with all the yummies
D : pita with hummus and lots of veg; tequila shot over ice with lime

Exercise: ran 5k at 4 a.m. that was supposed to be a midnight 5k but I was too tipsy then to get it done

newleaf123
01-01-2014, 08:42 PM

L: 1 1/2 pancakes, 2 poached eggs, white bean salad, a little. It of sparkling pomegranate juice

S: 2 oz rum with 4 oz ginger beer

D: Tuscan bean stew, carrots and celery dipped in white bean spread, roasted beets, 2 handfuls of nuts

S: 3 candy canes

MarleneV
01-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Stayed at 126.5 :)

B- hard boiled egg, cheese, orange
S-grande skinny vanilla latte (special treat)
L- steak & blue salad without dressing & frizzed onions & apple from Panera, animal crackers
D- salad with chicken, feta, olives, guacamole; last of potato dish, orange, 4 animal crackers, piece of dark chocolate
S - MRC chocolate pudding
Exercise 4.5 mile fast walk with dog
8+ cups of water
Approx calories before exercise - 1290

MissPearle
01-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Greetings, All! I hope it isn't too late to join in on this IF challenge. With Valentine's Day coming up as well as a wedding in six months, I'm super motivated to lose the 25 I've packed on in the last five years. IF sounds like a good way to go about it---and sounds maintainable as well!

TwynnB
01-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Good morning chicks! Sum38, that wrap sounds yummy. Thanks for the reminder on those.

B: protein breakfast cheesecake (I did muffins)
S: veggies with hummus
L: ham cabbage and bean soup
S: cheese stick?
D: hoppin john on collard greens
D: nuts

newleaf123
01-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Welcome, missPearle!

157.8 this AM. Travel weight is gone. Today's challenge will be to not sabotage my momentum. Going to the office today. Day 4 - still trying to figure out new eating patterns...

Carolina Meerkat
01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
I'm so glad I found this thread.
I'm trying to figure out how to get back on the wagon . . . .

I lost 15 lbs on IP alternative this summer, but after that started seriously running. I've put it all back on.
I really want to meet my running goals (halfM in March), so going back to IP is not really an option.

It will be great to share ideas here and be inspired by your successes!

haggis
01-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Holding steady after a big meal out for the holiday. Was the only one that didn't order desert, so I'm claiming that as a small step. Also went food shopping and avoided trigger foods. Now all I need to do is get started.

Sum38
01-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I had butternut squash which is not phase one approved on SBD. I made this really yummy salad with it for lunch. I am thinking about skipping directly to phase 2; I have been grain free for so long and my sugar intake has been minimal (except chocolate, which I have given up), so there really is not real need for phase one. I think I will go light on grains, maybe 2-3 per week.

B ~ Green Tea
L ~ Butternut Squash, Pomegranate & Pistachio Quinoa Salad
D ~ Porkloin, onions, a few babycarrots, broccoli and peppers

Exercise
4.2 mile walk
45 min of swimming

Weight

Mrs Snark
01-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Welcome Carolina Meerkat!

I empathize with you regarding the need for carbs to meet running goals. Training for long distance races while trying to lose weight is hard. I gained weight during the first half mary I trained for. I was hungry All.The.Time. I wish I had a good answer for you.

I don't run long distances any more, and so I struggle less with running in a calorie deficit. But I know how hard it is, hang in there!

TooWicky
01-02-2014, 12:42 PM
weight - 197½ (-1 lbs)

meals - salad and a Lean Cuisine frozen meal, hotdog with pickles and cracker chips, steamed veggies with beans and a low sugar Uncrustable

snacks - protein bar, cereal with milk, almonds, peaches, celery with PB2

fitness - I cleared a bunch of laundry and hanging stuff off of the recumbent bike. That's it so far, lol.

shr1nk1ngme
01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Didn't meet my exercise goals for yesterday so last night I strapped on 22 pounds of weights and walked the dog for two miles. My goal eventually will be to be able to carry a 35lb pack over rough terrain for many miles. But I gotta start somewhere. I am going to get a waist strap so I can walk the dog hands free and do arm exercises while I walk. All the neighbors will think I look ridiculous, but I don't care. One of my ultimate goals is to be able to go backpacking with my husband and my son.

UpDay today: lots of food!

Supplements
Herbal tea as desired all day long
B: Coffee, one minute muffin topped with sour cream
L: Hard boiled egg, 1 cup broccoli topped with 1 oz Monterey Jack Cheese
S: Better than Bouillon vegetable broth with chopped celery
D: MorningStar burger topped with vegenaise and 1 cup alfalfa sprouts, 1 cup broccoli topped with 1 oz Monterey Jack Cheese
Dessert: 2 homemade low carb chocolate chip cookies (to DIE for)
S: 2 walnuts, 2 hazelnuts, 2 almonds, 1 Brazil nut,
S: Better than Bouillon vegetable broth with chopped celery
S: Sugar-free jell-o

I save most of my snacking for late at night because that's when I am most tempted.

Weighed in at 165.4, down 1 pound from Dec 31st!

Can you say :cheer2: WHOOSH! :cheer3:

shr1nk1ngme
01-02-2014, 01:37 PM
fitness - I cleared a bunch of laundry and hanging stuff off of the recumbent bike. That's it so far, lol.

Switching the bike from a clothes rack back into exercise equipment is a HUGE step. :broc: :carrot::cb::broc:

Missy123
01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Hi ladies! I just saw this thread and am in too. I recently joined and am doing the slow carb diet, but due to the holidays I'm really just now prepared for a full on attack. :carrot:

Funny thing is today I marked Thursdays on my calendar today as my weigh in goal to lose 2 pds per week, and noticed that by Vday weekend I'll reach my mini goal weight for a return to what I was before I met my BF a year ago (had a 10 pd gain this past year!).

So my question to other 40-something female dieters is did you find when hitting 45 to be a time when there was a lot of weight gain?....or is this issue I'm having attributed to "new love" weight? lol :dizzy:

B - Egg white, 1 egg, mock mash potatoes (cauliflower and white beans), black coffee
L - Salad with chicken, egg, garbanzo beans, red pepper, olive oil & balsamic

Mrs Snark
01-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Welcome Missy! I'd vote for "new love" weight. We call it "nesting weight" at my house, and it started right after my husband and I realized we were serious about each other, and has continued (unfortunately) ever since, lol.

TooWicky - that's a great step in the right direction!

Shrinking - 22 pounds?!?! THIRTY-FIVE pounds? YOW! That's awesome! There is a lady in my neighborhood who is training to thru-hike the AT, so she walks with a giant pack and is always adding weight. I don't think anyone thinks she looks ridiculous, we think she look freakin strong!

Today:
B: Grapefruit, Ezekiel slice with natty pb, coffee.
L: Sunshine burger in 1/2 whole wheat pita, brussels sprouts, tomato/onion/carrot/pepper salad in balsamic.
D: Bombay potatoes and a salad.

Exercise: Ran 5k

Mrs Snark
01-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Also, TywnnB -- that is one cute puppy in your avatar! Welcome!

love2b150
01-02-2014, 07:47 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR :wave:

Well the holidays took over my brain and I am back up to 180.4 … 3lbs up from my ticker. IDK why each time I get on a roll I mess up but hopefully this time I am back to stay as in (stay on point). :) Today was day one of eating on point … the boys wanted to go the gym but I am pooped. I started a new job on Monday and getting up super early is taking it's toll … hope to be well into a good sleeping/resting pattern by the end of next week.

B ~ 2 egg salad, yogurt, shake
S ~ cheese stick, pistachios
L ~ celery with hummus, collards, n/s grapefruit
D ~ tbsp pb, peanuts, pinto beans, soy chili sauce

TwynnB
01-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks Mrs. Snark ;). I lost my pup (she was 3) just over a year ago, and got Miss Emma Jean there last April :). She certainly has changed the house!

I did okay today - all phase I, but I had the munchies. I suspect it's because I went on a good run yesterday, that always gives me the munchies.

newleaf123
01-02-2014, 09:19 PM

L: white bean salad, roasted beets, carrots, celery, apple

S: spicy bean spread on crackers, handful of nuts, banana

D: roasted root vegetables, garden salad (no dressing), baked chicken

Feel like I had an in-control food day. All is good :)

love2b150
01-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Heidi , Look at you, cute :) … I'm with you on the control today :high:

newleaf123
01-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Heidi , Look at you, cute :) … I'm with you on the control today :high:

Wwww, thanks! Glad you had a good day, too...

Chubby mum
01-03-2014, 12:17 AM
To the runners - I agree that it makes you hungry but upping protein helps for me. At this time of the year it's only possible to go at night or first thing in the morning before 7am but in a way that's good because the day has either ended for the kids or barely begun so I don't need to organise exercise around their day as well.

It's hot hot hot here! Languishing in of the air con while the big girls swim (I can see them). Swimming is my downfall, both proper swimming and playing with the kids - it makes me starving hungry.

I'm down a pound (yay). I had a bit of spotting last night (sorry TMI) and so did a left over pregnancy test which was faintly positive but a repeat is well and truly negative this am. Such a relief! Am still exclusively breastfeeding and DH has had "the op". We're on the countdown until he can be tested. Somehow, for us, 4 kids are manageable (just) but 5 wouldn't be!

MarleneV
01-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Sounds like most of you had a good day. Heidi & Rennie, Congrats both on the new jobs. Before you know it, you will have settled into a routine & have meal patterns all figured out.

Weight this am was 125.5!!!

B- hard boiled egg, cheese stick, orange
L-salad (veggies & a litttle balsamic vinegar), chicken, orange, animal crackers
S- cheese stick, orange, animal crackers
D- salad with chicken, feta, black olives, guacamole, salsa; 2 oz brown rice, mixed berries
8 cups water, no exercise. Total calories approx 1250.

Cattails
01-03-2014, 04:02 AM
118 this morning - this makes me happy, I haven't gained through the holidays (I fluctuate between 116 and 118). But I am eating more sweet stuff than I ought to; need to rein that in before I get into trouble. I still have sore muscles from doing a circuit workout three days ago. Who knew that jumping rope was hard?!

B: yogurt with banana
S: nuts and seeds, coffee
L: chips and salsa, 2 small steak fajitas, black beans and a little rice, iced tea
S: dried mango, a few chocolate covered blueberries
S: 1 oz. dark chocolate, coffee with an almond biscotti

Leeh
01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
yesterday I had a smoothie for breakfast, didn't eat lunch because we were running errands and then had a grocery store batch of maki rolls for supper. It wasn't a good eating day as far as quality of food.

Sum38
01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Nice weigh-in ladies!!! I had a very nice weigh in as well. I dropped over 2 pounds yesterday and 5 for the week :yay:

I had a busy exercise day; I hiked though snow for 3.2 miles; I was drenched. Then I lifted weights for 40 min (circuit training) and then I swam for 40+ minutes. -- I was one tired puppy at the end of the day.

It is nice to see that my hard work and South Beach Diet is starting to pay off.

I am expecting a large gain tomorrow morning; we are going to a steak house for dinner. If I had a choice I would skip the whole affair, but it is my FIL's 75th birthday, so I must go. They picked a Brazilian steakhouse where it is all you can eat steak, sigh. -- Well I survived New Year's Eve without over eating, I can make it through tonight, right?

Mrs Snark
01-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Yay, great numbers on the scales everyone! I'm jealous!

Sum -- 5 pounds, NICE. Great payoff for your hard work!

Chubbymum -- yay for not being preggo, lol! We have zero kids, so 4 kids sounds crazy busy to me!

It is 48 degrees here *GASP* with 25+ mph winds. Yesterday's high was 85. The weather is a bit wonky to say the least. I can't find any long pants to put on, lol. I was a wee bit chilly on my dog walks.

shr1nk1ngme
01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
I won't have much time to post today and there won't be much to post anyway.

It's a DownDay so I am eating two eggs and some broth, maybe a GG's Scandinavian crispbread to keep the supplements down. I don't weigh in on DD's.

No time for a workout since I am going to be running around all day doing errands and I literally won't be home until after midnight. Probably closer to 2 AM. Busy, busy day ahead!

Zumbachica
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Hi all..major snow storm here so getting to the gym was not possible.....I'll be trying to do some type of DVD workout today, although I have a feeling shoveling snow will be a workout in itself....
I am so disgusted with the number on the scale, whenever I go over 150 I feel feelings of disgust, lack of control and just depression. My kids have been with me since Christmas eve and I've been doing a lot of cooking...that is the only explanation I have for the weight gain. Iknow that I need to do something different but this time I just don't know what....south beach, atkins, belly fat cure? I have every book ever written on dieting....I've done weight watchers and jenny craig...nutrifast....oy vey.....I love hearing all you ladies posts , you sound so motivated.....keep up the good work everybody!

Sum38
01-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Zumba, would you like to be my South Beach Buddy? I have lost 3 pounds since I started following it a few days back. There are so many kid friendly and yummy recipes for this diet out there. I love this website : http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/09/south-beach-diet-information-posts-on.html

Zumbachica
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Shrink: what is a down day?

Snark: it is 17 degrees F here today..will drop below zero tonight.....now that's cold...lol

Sum: enjoy the steakhouse..the good thing about a steak house is that
you can have salad and protein and keep dinner on the low carb end.....you are doing so great..I feel like I'm starting over!! I actually cried about it yesterday when I got on the scale.

Leeh: I don't know what maki rolls are but I want them..LOL

cattails: jumping rope is GREAT..i used to jump rope at Crossfit and I loved it.....

Marlene: I love how you have animal crackers and still manage to stay so small!

Chubby Mum: Protein is the key to keeping satiated....you are doing great

NewLeaf: I would say your control day was definitely in control....Im impressed with the creative way you have vegetables.....keep going girl!

Zumbachica
01-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Sum: I will go in the boxes in the basement and dig out my south beach books...I know I had the blue book and the cookbook. Now that the kids are going back to their dad it will be easier for me to focus on me rather than be a slave to them. I feed them healthy don't get me wrong but I definitely over did it on the carbs....plus I found myself baking cookies, etc....not good. I remember that atkins worked better for me but I felt so sickly when I went into ketosis, so maybe south beach would be better. problem is that I am snowed in now so I can't run out and get the things I need to do south beach, I remember ricotta cheese being a staple on that... so to answer your question ...YES, I will be your buddy on south beach.....you know you can talk to me on facebook also...

Sum38
01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Wonderful Zumba!

TooWicky
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Zumba - I hear you! I'm in my late 40s, but I have kids in elementary school. School has been out since Dec. 18th, LAWD. Because of weather, first day back to school is now this upcoming Monday. We have had a wonderful winter break, but it has been chaotic to say the least (translation - I am going slowly insane.) Ready to get back to normal schedule; I think it will help me do better on my diet, etc. for sure.

Sum, fantastic weight loss this week, wow :carrot:

weight - 197 (1½ lbs. lost)

meals - Lean Cuisine frozen meal, salad w/veggies and packaged salmon, deli sandwich and pickles

snacks - baked chips and salsa, milk and cereal, greek yoghurt, almonds

treats - a square of chocolate

fitness - erm, no fitness yet

Mrs Snark
01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
I am currently drinking cups of hot water because it is 68 degrees in my house and I don't want to spend the calories on anything to warm my belly up. I am SUCH a weather baby, right Zumba?

Meals for today:

B: Apple with natty pb, coffee with stevia and splash of almond milk.

L: Sunshine burger in 1/2 whole wheat pita, brussels sprouts, tomato/onion/carrot/pepper salad with balsamic and garlic/sea salt grinder (mmmmm garlic salt!).

D: Planned: black bean burrito with fixins; tequila shot on ice with lime.

TwynnB
01-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Mmmmmm....I'll hang with the South Beach ladies too :D.

Doing okay today - it sure does help with the cravings.

B: protein cheesecake
S: hummus w/veggies
L: lettuce chicken cuke wrap
D: crack slaw?

Mrs Snark
01-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Forgot my exercise for today: Dog walks, strength routine (legs are a-shakin'), meditation.

Sum38
01-03-2014, 05:23 PM
I fasted today; this way I am saving my calories for the steak dinner. I am still trying to aim for a small portion of meat and lots of veggies/salad. I feel bad because this place is quite expensive and one is expected to over eat and over indulge. Oh well, everyone knows that I have been losing weight. I wish they had à la carte menu; that would have solved all my problems :)

Nice NSV today. I am wearing an outfit that I wore sometime in late November/early December to a party and it was snug. Today it fits perfectly :woohoo:

newleaf123
01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Sum nice NSV on the outfit; love that!!

B: cappuccino, 5-grain hot cereal with banana mixed in

L: veggie burrito filling, crackers and carrots with spicy white bean spread, apple

D: roasted root vegetables, baked chicken, garden salad (no dressing)

It was another office day today; I'm getting the hang of managing bringing my lunch. Going to a hockey game tonight, so we had an early dinner. No more food for me until tomorrow.

Carolina Meerkat
01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Yesterday
Salad, Veggies, Tuna, Fruit, Protein shakes, and the best part: 2 Lindt Truffles.
6 pts below WW allowance. Yikes. That's no good.

Exercise: 3.3 mile run

Today
Whole grain cereal/skim milk; small serving pretzel slims; chicken quesadilla w RF cheese; veggies
Dinner Salad and Carbs for tomorrow.

Intentionally no exercise - rest day before a long run (9m)

Today is weighday - 3lbs down! yay

shr1nk1ngme
01-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Shrink: what is a down day?

In addition to being a low-carb vegetarian, I am on a plan called JUDDD. "Johnson Up Day, Down Day Diet". You can Google it but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post the link here.

JUDDD is basically calorie cycling/intermittent fasting. You eat extremely low calories one day: it's a near-fast. Then the next day you eat a bazillion calories. For example, if my consumption is 400 on down days and 2000 on up days, it will average out to 1200 calories a day, but the cycling of fasting/feasting keeps the body from adjusting to a dietary set point.

Also I don't have to go on and on feeling deprived. If I have a difficult DownDay, I just remind myself that I can eat tons of food tomorrow. UpDay is coming! It works extremely well for me. When I eat 1200 calories a day I am just hungry all the time. On JUDDD I am only hungry every other day, even though the average is the same. Plus, I find that fasting has other benefits.

IMO JUDDD is best for low-carb because eating 2000+ calories on an UpDay, if carbs are involved, would put a huge stress on your insulin response. However, according to the author, the plan is designed to be useful for almost any diet/way of eating.

Nice NSV today. I am wearing an outfit that I wore sometime in late November/early December to a party and it was snug. Today it fits perfectly :woohoo:

Yay, I love NSV's! So happy for you!

I had an NSV of my own today; my jeans were too baggy so I finally had to buy a pair in the next size down today. I used Kohl's cash so they were pretty much free. I can see a figure starting to take shape on my body again! w00t!

MarleneV
01-03-2014, 10:46 PM
[
Marlene: I love how you have animal crackers and still manage to stay so small!

I buy the Stauffer's brand (several bags at a time, since everyone here eats them). 8 of them are 60 calories. Every other brand that I have seen are more calories. I only eat 8 at a time, put them in baggies to portion control. Between these and the occasional piece of dark chocolate, I don't crave other things, so it totally helps!

MarleneV
01-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Chubby mum, total respect from me on the 4 kids. My sister has 4, and I have no idea how she does it (well, did it, her's are ages 23, 21, 16, and 14 now, and I still can't handle them all at the same time). My 2 are more than enough (ages 19 & 17).

Sum Good job on the 5 lbs. Sounds like you had a plan for this evening, hope it works out.

shr1nk1ngmeLOVE Kohl's cash. I had $35, which was enough to get me a cute Chaps dress and some dark chocolate (that will last 2-3 months for me) for the grand total of $1.51. Also got a new Victoria's Secret sports bra for $15.70 and new jeans at Gap for $11.90 with various coupons & rewards. Less than $30 for several hours worth of fun. Love shopping now!

MarleneV
01-03-2014, 11:05 PM
125.0 this am (really, I was surprised it was down again, not sure if it will hold as I usually lose 0.5 and then hold for a few days).

B - Balance dark chocolate crunch bar
L - salad, chicken, orange, animal crackers
S - Orange, cheese stick
D- Chipotle steak salad with black beans, salsa and guacamole
S - cream of wheat cereal with 2 oz milk (it is too cold here in Texas for me now), no sugar added ice cream
W - will have in 8 cups by the time I'm done
E - going to go do 20 minutes on elliptical after I post this (edited to confirm I actually did 25 minutes)
total calories - 1290 (before exercise, I never deduct those calories)

love2b150
01-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Hello to Everyone :wave:

You all have been chatty :D

Zumba good to see you :)

Sum great NSV :)

Thanks Heidi and Marlene :)

I'm happy to report my first day of eating on point yesterday rewarded me a 3lb loss this morning. Today is day two of eating on point and I actually walked 4 miles so hoping for another good number :)

MarleneV
01-04-2014, 01:23 AM
Rennie,

Glad to hear you had such a great result from first day on point! WTG!

Mrs Snark
01-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Awesome Rennie, I do love it when the scale gives an immediate reward for good behavior! Such a boost!

Also, now I want animal crackers.

Cattails
01-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Also, now I want animal crackers.

Hm, I thought you were a vegetarian? :rofl:

Looks like everyone is starting off the new year with a blast! Sum, you are on a roll - awesome!

Mrs Snark
01-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Yup, vegan actually, so I'd feel slightly guilty biting their cute, tasty little heads off, for sure.

Sum38
01-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Cattails and Mrs. S :rofl: :rofl:

Rennie That is fantastic!!!

Sum38
01-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I survived another temptation with NO DAMAGE! The number on my scale was exactly the same as yesterday :woohoo: -- Actually I was not that impressed with the restaurant; too much meat. -- I would rather go to a nice restaurant and order 6oz of good filet with nice trimmings for the $50 it cost per person. I did do two trips to the salad bar; all south beach approved items (I skipped the dressing).

My day was:

Meals
B - Green tea/hibiscus tea
L - None
D - Lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber crab cakes, seared tuna, smoked salmon (Sounds like an Ian diet :)), assortment of meats, one bite of GF bread

Exercise
4.7 mile difficult hike though snow

Weight

love2b150
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Thanks Marlene :)

Thanks Michelle, LOL I love it when the scale does that also :)

Cattails, you and Michelle are a woot :lol:

Thanks Sum, I'm really trying :) LOL, that does some like an Ian diet, I just read his post about all the canned fish :) amazing. Your dinner makes me :drool:

I had my second whoosh so I know that I'm done with them. I am down another 2lbs to finally 175.4. Instead of it being a pre-Thanksgiving/pre-Christmas suprise it came for New Years ;) So now that I have prayerfully gotten myself together I want to see 169 by Valentine's Day. 165 would be great but I don't want to push it and then screw up :)

SharShar1
01-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi!

I'm joining a little late, but this group seems really motivated and awesome! Hard to belive that Valentines day is right around the corner!

A question to all of you: I have been weighing in weekly so far in my journey- Have you been more accountable with the daily weigh ins?

Weight in today at 199.0 1bs.:carrot:

I will update on meals and excersize later!;)

love2b150
01-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi SharShar :wel3fc: and to the thread. I am obsessed with the scale. I use to weigh multiple times a day, now I weigh when I first get up. I will also weigh after the gym sometimes especially after a bad day of eating because my scale is typically down 3lbs from the night time weigh in after 8 hours of sleep. What avenues are you taking to lose weight? I am just getting back into the swing of things, eating right and hopefully going to the gym more often then not :) Best of luck to you on your jounrey :)

Sum38
01-04-2014, 11:52 AM
SharShar1 Welcome!! Nice to have you here. -- I weigh in daily, but only count Friday's weigh in as my official weigh in. I am a little nutz about my scale. Some people can not handle the up days, that is why they only weigh in weekly. I feel I need to weigh in daily to keep me in check. I kind of know how the following day's weigh in goes; if I eat out, lots of sodium I am prepared the scale show me no love. If I have had a light day with lots of water, I know scale usually is kind to me. So it all depends if you can take the up days. -- I keep a spreadsheet on my daily weigh ins and I usually make some food notes next to it, ya I am a nerd :D

Rennie You are on fire girlfriend! I would not be surprised if you saw 165 by Valentine's Day, but 169 would be awesome too; a new dacade.

Mrs Snark
01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Welcome SharShar! I only weigh weekly and I've recently become soooo relaxed about weighing myself that I'm willing to leave my contact lenses in and forego exhaling really hard before stepping on.

Monster progress when it comes to relations with the scale, right? I know! :dizzy:

love2b150
01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Sum oh my goodness, I have not seen that decade since 2010 so that would be great.

SharShar1
01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Thank you for the feedback on the weigh in approach. I will still have an official day, but will weigh in daily (taking the normal ups and downs into account) thanks Sum38!

Love2b150, I have been attending Weight Watchers (since Sept '13)and trying to get 3X weekly (cardio and weight training). December was very tough, but I am back on track.

Thanks for the welcome and support!:)

newleaf123
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
:welcome: sharShar!

I weigh morning and night. I am envious of rennie's 3 pound overnight drops! I only drop 1+pounds overnight... So like sum says, everyone is different and it's all about how you can handle the swings... Personally, my body's response is pretty predictable, and I like having that sense of understanding.

Good day so far today. Woke up hungry and to another drop. Just got back from grocery shopping, and we are full to the gills with great, healthy food. I have to sort out what's in the fridge and freeze up any leftovers -- which make great lunch for the office. So far I'm liking this working gig. 20 hours a week feels right. It's forcing me to be a little more organized, a little more accountable. All good stuff. I've mentally committed to the job for a year, and will then reevaluate.

SharShar1
01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Welcome SharShar! I only weigh weekly and I've recently become soooo relaxed about weighing myself that I'm willing to leave my contact lenses in and forego exhaling really hard before stepping on.

Monster progress when it comes to relations with the scale, right? I know! :dizzy:

I totally understand! :D

love2b150
01-04-2014, 12:43 PM
… I am envious of rennie's 3 pound overnight drops! I only drop 1+pounds overnight ...
... leftovers -- which make great lunch for the office. So far I'm liking this working gig. 20 hours a week feels right.

Heidi, if I ate like you all the time I wouldn't see those big drops but since I don't when I feed my body correctly, exercise and get enough rest. It rewards me for a day or in this case two. Think about it … I should have weighed this weeks ago.

on all of these dates in December I weighed close to 175 but always screwed up …

12/13 ~ 176.8
12/14 ~ 176.2
12/17 ~ 176.8
12/18 ~ 176.8
12/29 ~ 176.4
12/30 ~ 176.6

this is sad to me. Even after seeing 176.6 on 12/30, I went back up to 180.4 on 01/02. I'm hoping to truly get a grip on myself this go around and finally get close to my goal this year. I love seeing the new outfits that you all post and looking at your progress photos, it's such and inspiration … and your meals help keep me afloat as long as I follow plan. So Heidi I am envious of you and the rest of you also. Keep doing what you're doing, you may not be where you want to be but you inspire us to get to where you are :hug:

I'm finally back to 40 hours a week, it's tiring but I'll get use to it and I am ever so grateful :)

love2b150
01-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Love2b150, I have been attending Weight Watchers (since Sept '13)and trying to get 3X weekly (cardio and weight training). December was very tough, but I am back on track.

Shar, you've done great, these last 3 months. Keep up the great work :high:

TooWicky
01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
weight - 197 (-1½ lbs.)

meals - turkey sandwich with baked chips & salsa, big salad with packaged salmon, steamed veggies & potatoes with crabmeat

snacks - protein bar, cereal with milk, baked chips with lite sour cream and jalepenos, almonds, saltines and PB2

treats - a mini square of Heath bar

fitness - none

love2b150
01-04-2014, 01:21 PM
TooWicky I like PB2 also :) Good job on the 1.5lbs down :)

shr1nk1ngme
01-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi everyone! Wow this thread has been active; it's hard to keep up.

Today I am down another pound to 163.8 so I am two pounds into the Valentine's Day challenge already.

Easy day today, just taking down Christmas decorations and cleaning up the house after my daughter's sleepover last night. A bit of gardening later today. Yes, gardening. It's been in the mid-70's here. So sorry for all of the ladies who live in the COOOOOLD parts of the nation and the few Down Under where it is 120 degrees right now... :(

Today is an UpDay on my eating plan so I will be eating a lot of food today and then doing some serious walking with weights later on tonight.

TwynnB
01-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Hey y'all!

I'm a weigh-myself-daily kinda gal as well, since it lets me see my daily fluctuations and I don't freak on the days it's high...like the day after I have a hard work out or salty dinner. As long as the general trend is down (and lately, it's upppppp), I'm okay with it.

Jumped on the dreadmill today, and got lots of household stuff done! Darned, my kids saw me making the mock cornbread (with beans) but we'll see if they even connect the two.

Shrinkingme, I'm jealous of gardening! Not too jealous though, since I love the snow.

Love2B150 - You've got some awesome stats, congrats!!

TooWicky - I could not stop at just one Heath bar....

NewLeaf123 - you're from Pittsburgh? I'm living in State College. I *love* it here. Except we're in this little bubble that doesn't get much snow...we only got maybe 3" the other day, darned it.

Mrs. Snark - you crack me up! I was reading your blog a bit - I could (maybe) do a sub30 outside 5K, but definately not on the dreadmill! You rock!

I rented Hunger Games tonight. I can finally see what all the hype has been about :D.

justsayno
01-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm back.

I got really sick with the flu right after Christmas, then of course everyone got it. I made my goal of losing 5 pounds by Christmas & then the 2 pounds for New Years ended up being 4 pounds. So I am down some, I am starting to feel better & have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Goal now is 180 for Valentines Day. Shouldn't be a problem & I am probably not challenging myself enough with that but I will be happy if I make it to 180 by then.

Hope everyone is doing well.

FatAbbi
01-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Just joined today! Will post my results as I go. Was 167 on the 2nd, so we will where I am February 14! No wheat, gluten or fast food for me. 30 mins of movement a day!

MarleneV
01-04-2014, 11:20 PM
126.0 this am, think it was the sodium in dinner out last night.

B - eggs, 1/2 slice bacon, 2T shredded cheese, tortilla
L- Bison burger, 1/2 wheat bun, salad, asparagus
S - Orange
D- salad with chicken, feta, black olives, guacamole, salsa, 2 oz brown rice, mixed berries
S - Animal crackers, 3/4 of serving of no sugar added ice cream (I'm out :dizzy: )
W - 8+ cups
E - walked 6.75 miles with dog, our longest walk ever
Total Calories is higher than normal at 1500, but the long walk should make up for that. Hopefully the sodium in breakfast & lunch out don't hurt too much.

Also went for a massage today. Tomorrow should be a good on-program day, unless I get tired of staying around the house alone and decide to go out for a meal while running to the grocery...

love2b150
01-05-2014, 12:01 AM
shr1nk1ngme good to see you :) I would love some warm weather, gosh it's been cold :) have fun gardening :)

Thanks Tammy :), they won't continue that's just all of the mess I made over the holidays rewarding me for eating properly. I love the dreadmill, it's actually the only thing I like. My son and I were talking today about me needing to have someone with me to get me to do more of what I need to do ;)

Hi Shay glad you're feeling better. :) this thread as well as the Chat thread are very busy :) I think the walk with help with the calories for sure. Massage, I want to do that some day :)

Abbi :wel3fc: and to the thread :) Congratulations on your weight loss so far :high:

Marlene great job on your walk :high:

FatAbbi
01-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Thank you! I'm excited and mentally prepared for the year. Hopefully it stays!

MarleneV
01-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Abbi, welcome! Great plan, we'll help cheer you on.

Rennie, thanks. It was 68 here today. Tomorrow night it is supposed to get down in low 20s, so I'll have to do the elliptical instead. That's why I decided on such a long walk. Plus with DH & DD1 out of the country & DD2 at work, I didn't really have any better plans. Massages are great, I highly recommend!

Joyfulme
01-05-2014, 12:42 AM
After decades of apathy I am IN with both feet. So I started yesterday I am 235 and 5-3. Doing Ideal protein diet. I can do this. Today I succeeded by staying on the prescribed diet.
Mini Goal: get into the 220s.

Zumbachica
01-05-2014, 01:26 AM
Hi all....today I fasted for most of the day in order to get the fat burning process going. I didn't eat until around 5 pm after a full and frustrating day of shopping. (couldn't find what I wanted anywhere)....had a big salad with grilled chicken..then half a bagel with cream cheese and a piece of dark chocolate. I haven't had a chance to get on the south beach wagon yet have to to dig up the books.......

No exercise today..going on a hike tomorrow in slushy snow...we are finally going to get out of this deep freeze....last night it was one degree Farenheit...!! wind chill factor made it feel like it was way below zero....

TwynnB
01-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Mmmm...for zumba and sum38 (and whomever else is doing sbd), I made the mock cornbread with spicy beef casserole last night. The "cornbread" is beans...it is AMAZING!! Wow, why have I never made that before?

I'll have to search thru the recipe section to try new things that the whole family would like. Gratefully, with winter here, soups are easy and well liked in our house :D.

Zumba, how did you ever make it without eating til 5?!

Zumbachica
01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Twynn: I got out of bed late..then ran around shopping all day. I am the type that if I'm on a "mission" or really busy I don't eat as much...my mind is occupied. My eating is emotional, so if I keep my mind busy on stuff I can get away with not eating for hours...but....that rarely works.....it did yesterday.

Zumbachica
01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Had a tiny swoosh...thank you Lord, I needed that. woke up to the sound of duck hunters guns...(grrrrrrr) and have a full day ahead of me. I am going to have an omelette with spinach for breakfast to try and get some veggies in.....then I will have either lunch OR dinner, not both. Going to take my supplements today...I haven't been getting a lot of sunlight and I'd bet money my vitamin d levels are down again....

newleaf123
01-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Yesterday's food:

S: pear

L: veggie burrito filling, roasted vegetables, white bean cumin salad, raspberries

S: rice cake with spicy bean spread, handful of nuts, banana

D: scallops, bulgar wheat & chick pea salad, Brussels sprouts with pecans & cranberries

S: 2 cocktails

Ate double what I should have for dinner. New recipes for those sides, all very good. Shouldn't have had 2nds though... Oh well. Scale was up this morning. Back at it... Went for a nice 4-mile walk yesterday. Very cold here, too.

newleaf123
01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
:welcome2:

Welcome to everyone new! The board moves so fast in January, I apologize for not responding to everything / everyone. I just can't. But, I read everything and try to throw in a tidbit when I have something relevant to say...

Sum38
01-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome to all our new comers! Lovely to have you here with us!!

I upped my calories to 1700, and "gained" 0.2 pounds :D I felt stuffed!! It is hard to eat so much 'good' food. My portions were huge. I am following phase 2 now on SBD. -- Chubby mom, there were days when I felt a little hungry at 1200 cals; those are the days I added an extra snack and ate apprx. 1300-1400 cals worth food, but most days I was just fine with 1200 calories, as long as I ate real food and not junk. Lots of veggies and lean protein.

Meals
B - Green Tea
L - Quinoa salad w/butternut squash, pomegranate, pistachios; pintobean dip w/celery
D - Salmon, surprised cauliflower mashed "potatoes", sesame ginger asparagus
S - Apple w/bp

Exercise
4.2 mile hike/walk in snow; 30 minutes of weight lifting (circuit w/ heavy weights); 50 minutes of swimming

Weight this am
Up 0.2 lbs

Mrs Snark
01-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Welcome Abbi and Joyfulme and any other newcomer I might have missed!

Twynn -- I think the under 30 5k is easier on the treadmill -- no corners! No gutters to trip on! No distractions!

I think I forgot to post food/exercise yesterday, I was saving calories for most of the day for dinner (soooo worth it).

B: Coffee.
L: Banana with schmear of natural pb.
D: Big salad and bruschetta done on the grill and probably tooo muuuuch wiiiiine (we almost named out boat Chianti, if that tells you anything about how I feel about wine).

Exercise: Ran 4.13 miles

Mrs Snark
01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Heidi -- brussels sprouts with pecan and cranberries? Oh my, that really sounds fabulous.

Zumba - congrats on the whoosh!

Welcome back Shay, sorry to hear the Sick Monster visited your home over the holidays!

Twynn - what did you think of the Hunger Games?

shr1nk1ngme
01-05-2014, 02:08 PM
No weigh in today. This afternoon we are going out for lunch with friends. It's a DownDay so I plan to order a plain house salad with no dressing. For dinner it's two hard boiled eggs and some vegetable broth.

Exercise will be walking with weights again. It's getting easier so I ordered more 2lb weight packs to add to my weight vest. I also got a hands-free dog leash so I can do my upper body moves with hand weights while I walk the dog. I did it last night and it was great. Gonna do the arm exercises while walking again tonight.

Today will be my first full day with the Fitbit Flex on. I doubt I'll make it to 10000 steps. But I will be close.

FatAbbi
01-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Day 4. Feeling great finally. Lots of water weight gone, I can feel it. Will weigh in on Wednesday but i did realize I set my current weight in correctly. I was 164 on 1/2/14. I was 167 about 2 weeks before that. Guess it's good it's just going down.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

newleaf123
01-05-2014, 02:52 PM
mrsSnark the Brussel sprouts were prepared a way I had never done them before: sliced in the food processor. They were awesome! Dry pan fry chopped pecans, throw in olive oil, throw in shredded sprouts, toss continuously for 6 min to cook. Stir in dried cranberries. Voila!

shrinking, I bet with your walks, you will hit 10,000 steeps no problem.

abbi glad you are feeling good!

Mrs Snark
01-05-2014, 04:55 PM
One. Day. At. A. Time.

True that!

love2b150
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Marlene, maybe one of the kids will give me a gift certificate some place one of these days :)

Joyfulme :wel3fc: and to the thread. :)

Zumba nice job on the fast :) I feel as if I fasted today. My oldest daughter and I did a lot of running around today (just like you I just read :D) and I just didn't have time to eat. I had an Atkins shake before church and then some grapes in the truck and that has been it, oh and water of course. But surprisingly I'm not hungry. I know this will mess me up on Tuesday when I eat tomorrow so I've gotta brace myself to face the scale :) Yay for whooshes :high:

Tammy I'm gonna have to try the mock cornbread. I like hearing amazing with regards to it :) I've made mock potatoe salad and mock mac n cheese, but didn't know about the cornbread. I will definitely have to do like you and make sure the family doesn't see me :)

Heidi, thanks for posting that veggie burrito, I will now add beans ;)

Sum I was looking at your exercise calorie burn oh my goodness I wish I could do that, YOU GO GIRL :high:

TO ALL SBD Ladies, honestly how do the mock mashed potatoes really taste? What do you put in them to make them taste like mashed potatoes, if they do? Thanks

Michelle :wave:

shr1nk1ngme, you may just get those steps in, way to go :high

Abbi, YAY feeling better and water weight leaving :)

I'm happy to report that I have reached a new low on my journey, this time ;). I weighed in at 174.4. Like Zumba today was a fast type day, because I was so busy and I am not hungry. Like Sum I am drinking my green tea which may not be such a good thing to do this time of the night. But I made it so I'm drinking it. :) I have lost 4.6 pounds since January 1st and after eating at Waffle House and gaining I am down 6lbs from January 6th. I know it's water but like Abbi said, I can feel it and it feels good. I hope to keep this going.

newleaf123
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
this is sad to me. Even after seeing 176.6 on 12/30, I went back up to 180.4 on 01/02. I'm hoping to truly get a grip on myself this go around and finally get close to my goal this year. I love seeing the new outfits that you all post and looking at your progress photos, it's such and inspiration … and your meals help keep me afloat as long as I follow plan. So Heidi I am envious of you and the rest of you also. Keep doing what you're doing, you may not be where you want to be but you inspire us to get to where you are

Rennie, thanks for your words of encouragement, I appreciate it! So glad you are enjoying a downward trend to start the year!

L: scallops, bulghar wheat salad, Brussel sprouts, rice cracker with spicy bean spread, raspberries

S: crackers with lentil curry spread, raspberries

D: Mac & cheese, lamb-stuffed pepper, garden salad, fudge.

love2b150
01-05-2014, 09:49 PM
:hug: Thanks Heidi are you a chef? Lamb stuffed pepper, sounds so good :)

justsayno
01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
I lied, I thought I was feeling better than today happened. I know I am getting dehydrated & not eating anything really. I managed a little bit of iced tea today & a few bites of a bean burrito & going back to bed.

I got up & was going to google vegetarian soup recipes & I gave up, hoping my husband finds something for me that sounds good, soup is better than nothing.

newleaf123
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Rennie... no, not a chef. But I do enjoy cooking :) The lamb-stuffed peppers were AWESOME, and the great thing is that I actually made (and froze) them back in October when the farmers markets were overflowing with peppers, so all I had to do tonight was throw them in the microwave. That way DH and I limited ourselves to only a small side of the mac & cheese, which was the main course for the kids.

Sorry you're not feeling well JustSayNo... soup sounds like the way to go!

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm late but in on the challenge.

TwynnB
01-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Mrs. Snark - thank goodness for redbox and only 1.27/night...we finally watched hunger games tonight. What a bizarre movie! Just....bizarre.

Luv2b150 - AMAZING ;). I personally don't like the mock mashed potatoes, but I'm not a huge potato fan anyway. I do love the au gratin cauliflower (this, without ham: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/01/recipe-for-ham-and-cauliflower.html)

FatAbbi - you and me both....day no. 4, and one day at a time!

FatAbbi
01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm starving tonight as I type. Hoping water curbs it.

shr1nk1ngme
01-06-2014, 12:12 AM
shr1nk1ngme, you may just get those steps in, way to go :high

I'm happy to report that I have reached a new low on my journey, this time ;). I weighed in at 174.4.

I did! I did! I went for a nice walk along the marina after lunch with my friends, and then tonight I went walking with the dog. What the Fitbit doesn't show is that I strapped on 22 pounds of weights and worked out my upper body during the whole walk, as well.

Soooo glad to hear that you have reached a new low today. :carrot: Yay us!

MarleneV
01-06-2014, 01:16 AM
126.0 this am

B- egg, cheese stick, orange
L- Taco Cabana steak bowl, no shell, black beans, sour cream, cheese, salsas, guacamole
D- tortilla crusted tilapia, 2 oz brown rice, salad with vinegar, orange, animal crackers
S- no sugar added ice cream, tea, lo cal hot apple cider.
No exercise, didn't do very well on water either.

I know you up north have it way worse than I do, but I moved to Texas because I hated the cold, and it was cold today & getting in the 20s tonight. I'm freezing, and that's my excuse for no exercise... I could have easily eaten more today, had finally go to my room instead of being downstairs. I did get to talk to DH today. I miss him being here... He will be back on Sat night.

newleaf123
01-06-2014, 07:09 AM
marlene I hear you re the cold! DH and I were just talking about retirement and having to get to someplace more temperate!

abbi hope you made it through the night okay...

I was surprised that my weight was up, 156.8 this AM. But I can't get my rings on, must be water weight. Have a great day every one!

Leeh
01-06-2014, 08:21 AM
The scale was not my friend this morning. I have had potatoes several days in a row and not in reasonable portions. Time to stop the farting around and get back on track.

Sum38
01-06-2014, 08:30 AM
My weight crept up a bit too :( I started eating more calories and I think my body is trying to adjust, because I burned 1400 calories by exercise alone and ate only 1700 cals, and weight jumped a bit. Must be water.

Meals
B - Green Tea
L - Quinoa salad w/butternut squash, pomegranate, pistachios; pinto bean dip w/celery
D - Ginger chicken, sauteed peppers and onions
S - Peanut butter, apple and California wrap

Exercise
4.2 mile very strenuous hike through a foot of snow (no tracks)
Step aerobics 60 min

Weight

TwynnB
01-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Sum38 - my weight is always up with a strenuous workout. Betcha it'll be lower tomorrow!

B: egg foo young (I'm hooked)
S: if needed, hummus and veggies
L: leftover hoppin john on collards
S: cheese stick
D: turkey smoked sausage, leftover greens and beans, german red cabbage
D: protein cheesecake

exercise: run - inside? outside? we shall see...

FatAbbi
01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Does green tea and/or green tea supplements work?

Sum38
01-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I drink lots of green tea, and I don't think it makes any difference in my weight loss besides it keeps my hydrated. Green tea is very good for you though, so it does not hurt to drink some.

shr1nk1ngme
01-06-2014, 10:51 AM
No losses to report on the scale this morning. Holding steady at 163.8.

It's an up day which means I get to eat, but I am so busy today I don't know if I will have time.

Have to take DD to school and then take her rat (yes, her pet rat) to the vet. Followed by myriad other stuff. My to-do list is literally two whole handwritten pages long. Ugh.

Carolina Meerkat
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Holy Cow!
I blinked and 5 pages went by. I'll just jump back in and try to keep up better.

shr1nk1ngme - you are an awesome mom to take a rat to the vet. Total props!!!

Sum38 - thank you for the pomegranate/ Quinoa idea! Sounds amazing.

Everyone else - stay warm!!

So far today:

B - Protein shake, coffee, banana
L - half serving of corn chowder, apple

planned Dinner - hoppin johns w/lowfat sausage and wild rice; green salad w/rf dressing

Exercise: 3 mile run in the rain in 40F. BRRRRRRRRR
(I think my body should be scanned to see if an alien life form has taken over, since that is so not-me. However, I logged a best pace time since I wanted to get home so badly!)

Cheers!

Cattails
01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a lot of us are in a tricky spot right now; me too, I've been struggling with late night eating the past few days, and not winning the battle! So far my weight is holding but it won't if I don't get that back under control.

Mm, Hoppin' John with sausage - thank you, Meerkat, for mentioning that, I've been meaning to cook up some black eyed peas, and I happen to have a couple of low fat sausages. Tonight, for sure.

Keep pushing on, ladies!

newleaf123
01-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Never heard of Hoppin John. What is it?

TwynnB
01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
hoppin john......Mmmmm..... It's blackeyed peas with onion, celery, ham (or other) with bayleaf and garlic....I eat it over collards, kids over rice.

MarleneV
01-07-2014, 02:20 AM
Heidi, Hoppin John is the southern equivalent to the kielbasa, pork & sauerkraut that my mom always made back home in the 'burgh for New Years.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, moved to Indiana (the state) in 1990 for grad school, and moved to central Texas in 2006 to get out of the cold. Generally that's worked out ok, but this year I'm not liking how cold it is. Tonight is supposed to be in the upper teens. Certainly not what everyone up north is getting, but things here aren't designed to keep things warm, they are designed for the 100 degree summers.

MarleneV
01-07-2014, 02:32 AM
127.5 this am, I think just about everyone posted a gain. Can we blame that on the polar vortex?

B- cottage cheese & low fat peach yogurt, coffee with creamer
L - salad, chicken, orange, animal crackers
S- coffee with creamer, cheese stick
D- salad with chicken, feta, egg, guacamole, salsa, black olives, 2 oz brown rice, orange
S-no sugar added ice cream, 2 animal crackers, berries, MRC cappachino.
W-8+ cups,
Exercise -day 1, level 1 of 30 day shred
Calories before exercise - 1360.

I normally don't drink coffee, but that is what is available at work, and I was SO COLD... Guess it isn't as bad as the skinny vanilla latte that I would get at Starbucks.

FatAbbi
01-07-2014, 02:45 AM
Loooong day. Hunger gone can taste the ketosis, but gotta headache today. Still on track!

Cattails
01-07-2014, 06:03 PM
I did better yesterday, didn't feel hungry for late night snacking. Maybe it was the Hoppin' John? Mm, it came out really yummy. Lots of veggies and just two lowfat sausages sliced into it. I had two bowls. :D

MarleneV, the polar vortex will do fine for a scapegoat!

Zumbachica
01-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Hello Ladies,

I am up a bit ...... I know it is because of the candy one of my students gave me for new years...although I appreciated the thought it was really detrimental ....I have no control and for whatever reason I'm having a really hard time getting motivated this time around.

Breakfast: coffee
Lunch: Bagel , no cream cheese (ate it in the car while driving, it was one of those days)
Snack: sliced cheddar cheese
Dinner: Baked balsamic chicken thigh, sautéed zucchini , four French fries (baked) and a slice of Italian bread, small piece of soft mozzarella cheese.

Overall not a healthy day..bagel was a definite mistake.....carb overload!! I haven't gotten a chance to dig out my southbeach books....every day I say I'm getting serious and yet here I am....:)
been too busy to reach

FatAbbi
01-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Tomorrow is a new day :)

Sum38
01-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Come on girlie...get those books out, I need a buddy! :)

I am making all sorts of yummy SBD foods. Plus I am exercising like a mad woman. Scale is not being kind to me though, it is testing me and my patience. I lost 5 pounds last week and none this week...but TOM is approaching, that may be the one I should blame.... the whoosh should be glorious once it arrives here :D

Zumbachica
01-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Sum..I'm sure it's bc of PMS....

MarleneV
01-08-2014, 12:40 AM
127.0, I guess I'll take that back down 0.5.

B - 2 hard boiled eggs, light Blueberry yogurt
L - Shrimp fajita salad, black beans, about 12 chips, salsa
S - Orange, Coffee with creamer
D - Basil pesto tilapia, salad, animal crackers, orange
S - no sugar added Ice Cream, MRC Cappucino, berries, Magic pop rice cake
E - 30 Day Shred, 10 minutes on elliptical.
W - 8+ cups

will put my "chatty" comments on the chat thread.

Cattails
01-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Sum, five pounds in one week is a lot! I found that I lost weight in drips and dribbles: 2 or 3 pounds one week, then no loss for 3 weeks, but it all averaged out to just about exactly a pound a week in the end. Keep doing what you're doing and your body will catch up!

B: oatmeal with dried cherries, banana and walnuts
L/D: chips and salsa, chicken fajitas
S: lightly buttered popcorn, bengal spice tea with coconut milk creamer
S: 1 oz. dark chocolate, coffee

Exercise: 45 minute walk, 50 minutes of upper body strength and cardio

TwynnB
01-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Marlene, you always have such yummy menus :D.

Sum38 - I bet you'll have a massive whoosh in few days, or after those horrormones are gone.

I wont repost my menu - leftovers - egg foo young, red cabbage and sausage, creamy mexican crockpot.

Zumbachica
01-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Sum I left the SBD book at the other house :((( but I did take the cookbook ...so I can make things from it. right now I need to be spoon fed this diet...a plan in place for me to follow, I shoudnl't be allowed to make my own choices. Going to see if my ex threw out all my stuff that I left at the house and if not I'm getting my book.....or maybe I can go online eand get a food plan. for today I'm following a low carb plan, similar to atkins. I think yesterday was some kind of turning point for me..so tired of feeling bloated and exhausted and just yucky.

Have a good day everyone....will log in later...

Sum38
01-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Yay, PMS is here with its cravings and bloat, fun times; ugh. I did not weigh in this morning because I am sure the number would had depressed me. So why ruin my whole day.

Yesterday I ate more than I should had, all SBD allowed items though. I had an excellent exercise day though.

Meals
L - Pinto bean dip w/celery, California wrap (2)
D - Spaghetti squash, pasta sauce w/meat, Mocha Ricotta Creme
S - apple w/pb, Mocha Ricotta Creme :o

Exercise
Treadmill walk (4.2 mph for 60 minutes), weight lifting 45 min, swim 45 min

Weight
No W/I

MarleneV
01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Marlene, you always have such yummy menus.

Thanks Tammy! Hope that someone gets some ideas from them, but posting them keeps me accountable to someone. Yesterday was actually a hard day to get balance in eating because of the stuff I had going on. I ended up just over 1200 calories, I try to keep between that and 1300. Had to have more evening snacks because I didn't snack during the day. 126.5 this am, but I'm sore from 2 consecutive days of Jillian & 30 Day Shred. Think I'll skip her today, I have a yoga DVD, maybe do that instead.

Mrs Snark
01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm waaaay behind, gah! I don't know where yesterday went. My whole Monday was spent with my parents at their house and then that night we watched my beloved Florida State Seminoles win the championship game in a come-from-behind thriller (GO NOLES!). I know nobody here cares, but I love me some football, so I had to say it! :)

In other news, I always advise people not to get wrapped up in their partner's/spouse's weight loss journey, but I'm still excited to report that my dh is "on the wagon" and lost 3.8 pounds at his first weigh-in this morning. Lucky him, he can do a "moderation in all things" kind of plan, but I'm proud he managed to get over the holiday eating and make positive changes the first week of the new year. Hopefully he can maintain his enthusiasm!

I'm happy to report that I have reached a new low on my journey, this time ;). I weighed in at 174.4.

CONGRATULATIONS! :carrot:

Mrs. Snark - thank goodness for redbox and only 1.27/night...we finally watched hunger games tonight. What a bizarre movie! Just....bizarre.

I wasn't a big fan of the movie, and I thought the books were only okay-ish, though of course they are aimed at young adults, so I'm probably judging them too harshly.

Leeh
01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah for spouses who see results! Mine is on a weight gain program so he eats tons of calories. Luckily he chooses things that are healthy and don't tempt me in the least. Like a big bowl of cottage cheese with figs chopped in it at 20h00 at night when I'd happily eat popcorn or chips if they were available.

I'm still a bit up but I am confident I will see the downswing again.

Mrs Snark
01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Cattails -- love your new avatar!

Chubby mum
01-08-2014, 07:18 PM
My DH seems to become a bit competitive when I start exercising again. Now that I'm running again he's decided to train for a triathlon. It's good for us both because I don't feel "guilty" leaving him with all four kids to exercise, and vice versa. I'd love to start doing some weights again but running is the easiest, for now. It's quite hilly where we live so I can get a proper work out in just 30 minutes, if I have to. I'll weigh tomorrow but I think it's all working. DH is still lighter than I am though!

magical
01-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Ugh, Mrs Snark, you're right. Never compete with your dh. Mine's in a 'fitness mode' again and he was relatively fit to begin with. He's now uber disciplined with food and running, unlike me, lol!

Have to say though I'm managing the 3 times weekly exercise so far and upping my activity level seems to be working even without changing my diet or lowering cals so happy about that.

Mrs Snark
01-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Fortunately, me and my dh have different primary sports, I love to run and he loves to bike. He goes on ridiculous 50 mile rides, makes my butt clench just thinking about it. I do ride with him and it is always a punishing workout, but he doesn't run at all so I can't return the favor. And I'd like to.

MarleneV
01-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Hmmmm, I guess DH & I are different than most of you. We walk mostly, do elliptical if it is too cold. And he was watching what he was eating for the most part, until he left on the current trip. I'm sure he'll get back to it when he gets back here. He's not as careful as I am with the food, but still watches. Anyway, we work on it together without any real competition.

MarleneV
01-09-2014, 01:23 AM
Food today

B- smoothie with greek yogurt, mixed berries, and MRC wild berry protein mix
L- salad with chicken, feta & balsamic vinegar, orange, animal crackers
S- orange & cheese stick (shared with dog).
D- salad with beef fajita meat, salsa, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, 1.5 flour tortilla, and about 6 chips (at our favorite Mexican restaurant)
S- MRC chocolate pudding
Total calories - 1250 before exercise
E- yoga DVD (I was sadly mistaken thinking this would be easier than Jillian!)
W-8 cups

Sum38
01-09-2014, 08:12 AM
I am with you in the same category with you Marlene. Right now my DH is incredibly supportive of my weight loss efforts and is being my biggest cheerleader. He goes for walks with me despite of being a runner himself; he goes to the gym with me and waits patiently for me to finish my 1 1/2 workouts (he himself is done in an hour):) -- He is very fit and trim and in excellent shape, I could never compete with him :D

Sum38
01-09-2014, 08:17 AM
I had the perfect OP day

Meals
L - 2 California wraps
D - Left over spaghetti squash w/pasta sauce w/ lean ground beef. Big salad w/trimmings, no dressing ( I did not have anything SB approved, I guess I could had mixed balsamic vinegar with olive oil....)
S - None

Exercise
4.2 mile treadmill walk (60 min), step aerobics (60 min)

Weight

MarleneV
01-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Sum,

Sounds like it was a really good day.

My DH needs to lose some weight(not as much as I had needed to, only about 25 total, and he's lost about 10-15 so far), but he's been there as far as the support for me. He was really worried about me, and when I started this time, he was hopeful but didn't really think I could do it since I'd failed so many other times. Thankfully he kept THAT to himself and just kept encouraging me...

Mrs Snark
01-09-2014, 09:01 AM
My dh is very supportive of my efforts, thankfully, and tries to be sensitive to bringing in food that will make my head go crazy. He really wants to lose weight, too, but he has alot of the same food issues I have and he hasn't quite figured out the best approach for himself. I hope this will be his year!

TooWicky
01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Hi ladies (and any gents)!

I am terrible at posting daily :o , but I wanted to stop by. Diet's going great, however I am still not exercising yet. Between winter break, snow, ice, bitter cold temps, and finally, pipes bursting, my children JUST went back to school today for the first time since Dec. 17th. I am so incredibly happee :carrot: They were getting mighty bored, and I am ready to have a little more structure (as well as a bit of peace and quiet) around the house. I will start my new exercise routing today.

I've lost one pound since my official weekly weigh-in this past Monday. I am on target to meet this challenge I set for myself. I am ready for MerelyOverweightLand instead of being obese. My personal target is 1400 calories a day. Sometimes I go slightly over that. I have been weighing weekly since July. My weekly average loss is almost exactly 2 lbs per week.

weight - 194½

meals - out to lunch for Mexican Food and menu offerred zero caloric guidelines so I ordered a fajita salad w/no sour cream and them scraped off the cheese - it was a big lunch, a few chips w/salsa with lunch as well, breakfast sandwich and banana

snacks - almonds, Uncrustable, cereal and milk

exercise - none yet

I have an active and physically fit husband as well. He's some years younger than me, and has a physical job. He sets a good example for exercising. He's done a couple half marathons or other type runs, plus a Tough Mudder, that sort of thing. We have a treadmill and recumbent bike at home, plus a weight set and a chin up bar (I don't ever picture myself availing myself of the latter, lol.) He is more the quiet type so his cheerleading of my efforts toward good health is more subtley expressed, but he is very proud of me and always exceedingly accommodating when it comes to anything I might want to talk about or do with regard to my weight loss efforts.

Sum38
01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I think it is very important to get the proper support at home, and sounds like it that we all have spouses who want us to succeed. :love:

I feel lopsided with my DH. I am this frumpy (well I dress to kill ;)) housewife who carries 25/30 pounds of extra weight on her; my DH looks like a male model. I guess if I were to compete with him...would be for the looks. Right now we look like we don't "go together". -- I am sure people look at me and say "that's his wife???? WTF" :D

So part of me is being competitive, I guess.

TwynnB
01-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Wow, interesting talk on all the DH stuff. My hubbie is competitive, or maybe it's self conscious - we're both slow runners, but he's still slower than I am. And when i started swimming, he stopped, because "I made it look so easy and natural". I just have to remind myself that's his problem, not mine. He is supportive in me losing weight, he just barely needs to watch what he is (he is more than happy to eat ice cream in front of me!).

I lost about 2.5 lbs in last week. As phase I, it's mostly water weight, but I'll take it!
B: egg foo young
S: cheese stick (if needed)
L: black bean soup
S: protein cheesecake (if needed)
D: leftover pork tenderloin, greens and beans

I will say one of the hardest things with DH is he wants to take the kids out for ice cream (we get our milk at the dairy, they have ice cream as well). He'll beg me to go with so it's a "family event", and I tell him I really don't enjoy sitting there watching them eat ice cream. Especially b/c their ice cream is not that good!

Zumbachica
01-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Yesterday was my first day of eating clean, I was doing great until late last night when I had a donut. I need to stop having these snacks here for the kids, but I need to show control. Baby steps, that's how it has to be for me now.

I find it interesting that you all have great husbands that are supporting you. Not me...I'm all alone in this endeavor. When my kids leave to go with their dad I have no one to talk to or support me...then I turn to food. I have to say that I LOVE having my own little house....and my solitude is kind of nice at times...but I need to start taking care of me...anyway good for all you ladies with your support system.....:) don't take it for granted.

Zumba today, a lot of errands...kettlebells tonight before I go to my sons concert.....another day of clean eating..those donuts are going in the back of the frig.....and I'm going to forget that they are there.

shr1nk1ngme
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I find it interesting that you all have great husbands that are supporting you. Not me...I'm all alone in this endeavor. When my kids leave to go with their dad I have no one to talk to or support me...then I turn to food. I have to say that I LOVE having my own little house....and my solitude is kind of nice at times...but I need to start taking care of me...anyway good for all you ladies with your support system.....:) don't take it for granted.

Not all husbands are a support system. Mine has a hatred of fat people and makes disparaging comments. When I try to go on a plan he expresses his skepticism that I will stick with it. He is always pressuring me to cancel our gym membership. Yes, he hates that I am fat but wants to cancel our ($20 a month) gym membership. He tells me, "You don't need a gym. Why don't you just eat less, go jogging and stop sitting on your (donkey)?"

Yeah, so, I would rather live alone. I very well may do so one of these days...

Anyway, don't be discouraged! We are here to support you even if nobody else is. You are worth it! Keep going. Zumba and kettlebells would wipe me out. That's more than I could do. You go girl!

And keep away from those donuts! They are the devil! :devil:

:dizzy:

Funny thing to report from last night:

I save my whole snacking budget for late at night so I can stay on plan. Last night I ran out of time so I couldn't get all my walnuts eaten before bed (I buy nuts-in-the-shell and crack them one at a time to slow myself down). But I know that under-eating calories on an UpDay slows down weight loss. So yes, I knew I had to eat MORE calories, and fast. So I ate two additional low-carb (not low-calorie) cookies. It felt so decadent! I love JUDDD. On how many diets are you concerned that you aren't eating enough calories, and as a result have to force down more cookies? lol :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

No weigh in today. Made my 10000 steps yesterday, walked 2.65 miles with 22 pounds of weights, 37 "very active minutes" according to my Fitbit. Which, by the way, I LOVE. So glad I got it. :carrot:

FatAbbi
01-09-2014, 02:04 PM
My husband (wow, I have never actually seen that in print) is very supportive as well and is great about riding along on a motorized scooter as I ride my bike. lol He relays on this body for his profession so he never wants to "get hurt" unless its doing something related to his profession. But he is right there cheering me on, and is the first one to get me moving. Its awesome. I have not always had a supportive spouse and that makes weight loss and lifestyle changes nearly impossible.

3 lbs lost this year so far, 47 more to go. AWESOME!! I can do this!!

magical
01-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Shrinkingme, that's not nice of your dh at all! I can understand why you feel the need to live alone.

But you go, girl! Sounds like you are doing well on your plan. Hah, no, not many diets will require you to eat cookies if you don't feel like having them, lol.

Everyone sounds like they're doing very well. Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying reading the posts here even if I don't post often. Keeps me motivated :)

Cattails
01-09-2014, 08:50 PM
My DH breaks my heart. He was thin until he had a heart attack (mild one) at age 44, seven years ago - since then he's put on an extra 35 pounds, go figure! I keep gently urging him to eat better and I invite him to walk with me, but he is, ehem, resistant.

That said, he is proud of my own efforts and supports me. Maybe someday soon my example will inspire him? Please?!

Grats, Abbi, on your recent marriage, as well as more pounds off!

Sum38
01-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Did I miss something?? Abbi, you just got married? -- Congrats!!!

MarleneV
01-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Cattails,

It took a while, but mine came to it... I had asked him if he would join me in losing the last 25, because that was about what he needed to lose. He didn't, and waited another 3 months until we were on a trip with another couple and he ate a crazy amount of food. He felt awful when we got home, and I hadn't even gone up one bit. That was when he decided to start...

newleaf123
01-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Ack, been MIA -- never good. I'm back!

newleaf123
01-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Went back a couple pages. Count me in the "supportive spouse" category. I know my DH is much happier with me being thinner and does all he can to support me. Sum I LOL'd at your comment about you and your DH. I really don't think people are thinking that.

TooWicky Wow!! Look at you!! Love your new avatar!

CatTails Love your new avatar, too! You look happy, slim, relaxed. Yay!

MarleneV
01-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Heidi,

Glad to see you back, I was wondering where you went!

FatAbbi
01-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Did I miss something?? Abbi, you just got married? -- Congrats!!!

Was spur of the moment but yes! :) thanks!

MarleneV
01-10-2014, 12:54 AM
TOM started today... grrrr! I'm really messed up there. I'll have it visit 2 months in a row for 4 days or so, and then skip 2 months... That's been the routine for at least the past 6 months. You think I'd be happy, but I'd just as soon it completely go away... my dr wasn't concerned about it.

B - egg, cheese, light yogurt
L - Salad, chicken, orange, animal crackers
S - orange, cheese stick, Magic pop
D - pork loin, 2 oz brown rice, salad, blueberries, animal crackers
S - Weight Watchers ice cream treat, Magic pop.
E - none, didn't feel like it. W - 8 cups

All of that is 1210 calories, and I'm starving... so going to have an MRC cappuccino. Or something like that. then go to bed.

One more night alone, and then DH will be home :)

MarleneV
01-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Abbi,

That's so cool, congrats!

Cattails
01-10-2014, 01:31 AM
MarleneV, I hope so. He's on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and his last blood test showed him to be pre-diabetic. :( I'm afraid he's not going to do anything to help himself until he's actually diabetic, when if he would be proactive NOW, he could head it off! Sigh...

Sum, I second what Heidi said. "Frumpy" is not how I'd describe you! :)

Welcome back and thank you, Heidi. It's kind of a big step for me: I've never put my picture on the internet before. And again, I agree with Heidi: TooWicky, what a great picture!

Sum38
01-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Another excellent low carb day. And The Whoosh Fairy paid me a visit, just in time for my weekly weigh in; my grueling exercise regime is working ;)

Meals
B - Green Tea/hibiscus tea
L - Cauliflower-Crust Vegetarian Pizza with Mushrooms and Olives
D - Spice rubbed chicken, big salad w/ trimmings (vinegar and oil as salad dressing), surprise cauliflower mashed potatoes (ya, it was a cauliflower heavy day :))

Exercise
1.7 mile hike (35 min)
4.2 mile treadmill walk (60 min)
weights (15 min); I was tired after walking on treadmill

Weight