Weight Loss Support - No breakfast: has anyone else tried this?

Flavio
12-23-2013, 06:17 AM
I've already told about my new diet (no breakfast, that's it!) and the amazing results I got - lost 5 kgs (10 lbs) in a month.

I am 37 y.o., 1,74m tall and I now weigh 71 kgs. I am only 2 kgs away from my ultimate goal and even my students have commented how slim I look.

Moreover I am able to eat anything for the rest of the day (incl. junk food, sweets), as long as I don't eat anything before noon.

It sounds crazy and too good to be true but it is true.

I did a Google search on this and I did find a couple of similar cases but not many. One author wrote about this and added cold showers in the morning (to boost metabolism, I believe) but I'll stick to skipping breakfast. :)

SparklyBunny
12-23-2013, 06:29 AM
I did a Google search on this and I did find a couple of similar cases but not many. One author wrote about this and added cold showers in the morning (to boost metabolism, I believe) but I'll stick to skipping breakfast. :)

Google "intermittent fasting" or "leangains" and you'll find plenty more :-)

Granted, Leangains also has fasted training added plus specific eating patterns (high carb, low fat on training days and low carb, higher fat on rest days) and intermittent fasting can be done in several different ways. The easiest is still just to skip breakfast.

diamondgeog
12-23-2013, 06:44 AM
If it works....then awesome. I am hearing more and more about 'intermittent' fasting. I am going to look into that. More for health reasons than weight loss per se.

Skipping breakfast on a regular basis would not work for me though.

I have low carb small breakfasts. Not only good for my particular metabolism but essential for my morning brain function and not overeating at lunch.

Diamondonalandmine
12-23-2013, 06:46 AM
I don't do breakfast either. I only do strong coffee and water to rinse the liver kinda thing. If I eat breakfast I get tired again inside of the hour. And my stomach bloats. I do eat smart choices though because I muscle train. The weight doesn't melt as fast having to take in protein and carbs but I don't want to risk a "flubby" body :(

nelie
12-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Anything that reduces your calories will result in weight loss. If you are eating 500-600 calorie breakfast then that is a good calorie reduction.

I would focus still on eating fairly healthfully the rest of the day rather than thinking you can eat junk because you can out eat your calorie savings.

Daimere
12-23-2013, 08:14 AM
I skip breakfast 2 time or more a week. I do regular intermittent fasting (eating only during certain times) and I add lower calorie fasts (5:2). It works. It helps me get more sleep (not getting up early for breakfast!). And it decreases the stress of finding enough low calorie food to last 15+ hour day. But I also skip dinner (I work nights). I only have a 8 hour eating window.

Mrs Snark
12-23-2013, 09:56 AM
I know plenty of heavy people who don't eat breakfast, but it is nice that your strategy is working for you! Congrats on your loss!

magical
12-23-2013, 10:14 AM
I've never been able to do IF no matter how many times I try it. The times I get hungry simply vary too much from one day to the next.

I would also love to be able to skip breakfast and bank my calories for lunch and dinner but hunger pangs early/mid-morning drive me nuts!

kickasscancerchick
12-23-2013, 10:51 AM
My husband recently lost 20 pounds by skipping breakfast and doing lower carb. He allows himself to eat a bit more carbs for dinner after he works out - 3 or 4 times a week. It's certainly working for him!

KatMarie
12-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't eat breakfast. For some reason I'm hungry and wanting to eat all day long if I eat before 1-3 in the afternoon. Normally, I just eat between 3-8. I guess I'm doing IF and didn't even realize it lol.

IanG
12-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Improve the rest of your diet and you will turbo charge your results and your health too. That's what I did as the next step (I skip dinner).

Incremental small steps add up to big changes.

Arctic Mama
12-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Lots of people do that, including my mother. I used to do that when I woke up three hours later, but now I find I am hungry by 10 am and will get ravenous if I wait longer. So I've been eating my calories early - from 7 am to 5 pm, and just don't eat after that if in on plan. Big breakfast and lunch, light snack for dinner, works like a charm for me.

time2lose
12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I have a 12 hour window for eating which includes a small breakfast like a boiled egg. It works for me.

lin43
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I would love to skip breakfast regularly. I tend to do fine if I don't eat until 11:00. I like the fact that I can eat more heartily at lunch and dinner. However, my husband loves going out for breakfast, and I don't want to be a killjoy, so I eat it. But he skips lunch and has for years. I am trying to do that, but skipping lunch is MUCH more difficult for me than skipping breakfast. I guess the point is that if you can skip a meal with no problem, I think it's a good way of saving calories.

I say if it works for you, do it.

banananutmuffin
12-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I almost always skip breakfast as a conscious act of IFing. Coupled with a paleo diet, it gets me very lean. Right now I am not too focused on my food choices, so I am just maintaining.

Diamondonalandmine
12-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I don't eat breakfast. For some reason I'm hungry and wanting to eat all day long if I eat before 1-3 in the afternoon. Normally, I just eat between 3-8. I guess I'm doing IF and didn't even realize it lol.

I am the exact same way!!!

alaskanlaughter
12-23-2013, 07:35 PM
I always called it "opening up my stomach" and for some reason if I don't eat, i'm fine but as soon as I eat anything, I just want to continue eating all day.....I also delay eating in the morning, mostly because it just doesn't fit good into my busy mornings...and I don't mind skipping breakfast because I eat enough later in the day anyhow

Fiona W
12-23-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm not exactly skipping breakfast, but all I have is coffee with cream. I got started on putting cream in my coffee because it's allowed on the Atkins diet—no carbo grams in cream. Within a few days I realized that those 2 tablespoons of cream were enough to keep me powered and going 'til noon. So other than that cream, I'm only eating between 12 and 6:30 or so—just lunch and dinner and no snacks. I'm still tweaking the proportions to see what works best for my weight loss.

novangel
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I have been doing IF since before I even knew it had a name. Sometimes I have to eat breakfast but I never eat more than 2 meals a day.

delmarva
12-23-2013, 10:38 PM
I can skip dinner, no problem. But breakfast - no way! I adore breakfast. With a decent breakfast, and maybe greek yogurt with berries around 2pm, I can easily get to the next day.

I literally can't think deeply without breakfast. I could do typical desk work hungry, talking to customers, etc... But, if I am doing complex software programming or mathematical modeling, my tummy must start the day full :-) Funny how that is for me.

CrabNebula
12-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I couldn't do this. I wake up in the morning starving. I never eat at night and rarely after 7-8pm. I just have a half a cup of granola and with half cup skim milk and I'm good till 12, but I couldn't do nothing for breakfast during the week.

On the weekends, I have two meals a day: brunch and dinner. We all wake up around 9-10 and don't eat breakfast until 11-12.

I'm still losing weight eating breakfast, so definitely see no reason to quit.

shr1nk1ngme
12-23-2013, 11:32 PM
I never eat before 2 PM. I have coffee with a tiny splash of soy milk and lots of tea with Torani sf vanilla syrup. I usually have a tall glass of crystal light with my psyllium husks and use that to down my morning vitamins. But as for eating I try to wait until 2 or 3 PM because if I eat sooner, I lose my will power and I end up using up all my carbs/calories by 6 PM, and then I cheat at night when the family is asleep.

I find that if I skip breakfast, I can maintain better control all day long and then I don't cheat at night.

Flavio
12-24-2013, 09:05 AM
I know plenty of heavy people who don't eat breakfast, but it is nice that your strategy is working for you! Congrats on your loss!

Yes, I'm pretty sure this doesn't work for everyone but somehow in my case it's been doing wonders.

Flavio
12-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Improve the rest of your diet and you will turbo charge your results and your health too. [...]

Excellent piece of advice, I couldn't agree more.

Skipping breakfast was a major find but now I definitely need to improve my diet for the rest of the day.

Wannabeskinny
12-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Yes I'm skipping breakfast more and more often lately, in an IF sort of way. If I only restrict myself to eat between 11am (I'm up since 6am) until 6pm then I feel better on most days.

Most importantly I have learned that the age-old advice about eating frequent small meals was something that DID NOT WORK FOR ME. It was a shocking revelation, but eating small snacks just made me hungrier and thinking about food all the time. Where as now I'm perfectly content to go from lunch to dinner without a single snack. It's like a mental thing, I turn off the eating machine and don't think about it until dinner whereas before I was constantly scrounging for little calorie appropriate snacks that ultimately left me unsatisfied. It was super annoying and I didn't even know it. Same thing has happened with breakfast, I don't miss it much when I don't eat it and it allows me to eat a nice hearty lunch.

Daimere
12-24-2013, 10:10 AM
I always called it "opening up my stomach" and for some reason if I don't eat, i'm fine but as soon as I eat anything
OH YES! I agree. There will be minutes of HUNGRY but it's gone in a minute. It helps show me that I won't die if I don't eat right now.

It was a shocking revelation, but eating small snacks just made me hungrier and thinking about food all the time.
Oh yeah. I would wake up and ask my ex, "what's for dinner? What's for whatever?" I'd freak out if I didn't have enough food or something. I still obsess about not having the right amount of food. But I don't die if I don't eat. I may have some coffee when I wake up though. But I try to keep it under 50 cals. IF eating has given me freedom from obsessing over food.

Although when I am ready for eating, I don't want anyone to stop me ;) I had a waffle house date a few months ago and I was like, "I don't care. I want to go now. I haven't ate in 18 hours. so let's do this!"

pixelllate
12-24-2013, 10:23 AM
One of the best parts of IFing is that it requires no thinking/decision making once you get used to it.
"morning coffee" is all I think about.

Ija
12-24-2013, 07:56 PM
There's evidence when people who normally eat breakfast are instructed to skip it, they eat more calories at lunch... but not enough calories to make up for having skipped breakfast. So, skipping breakfast can work in one's favor that way.

Breakfast-skipping has traditionally been associated with overweight and obesity, but not in a causal manner. Often, it's the people who pig out at night that skip breakfast because they're not hungry. If they later start eating breakfast regularly, it's usually done in the context of trying to get healthy and/or lose weight. And people who stick to their new ways of eating (as well know very well) tend to keep the weight off. For them, eating breakfast sets the occasion for "good" eating habits, and skipping breakfast sets the occasion for reverting back to "bad" eating habits. So, skipping breakfast can work against someone too.

There's nothing magical about eating or skipping breakfast. It all depends on what that leads you to do the rest of the day.

QuilterInVA
12-25-2013, 08:30 AM
You may be losing weight but with what you are eating you are losing muscle right along with fat and lowering your metabolism. Eating junk is not good for anyone at any weight.

freelancemomma
12-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I think there are breakfast people and non-breakfast people (and maybe some who can swing either way). Some people have told me that the thought of food in the morning makes them a little queasy. My own teens also have to be coaxed to eat breakfast (and sometimes I don't bother). My mother was the exact opposite: if she skipped breakfast, she was nauseated by 11 a.m. and violently ill by 2 p.m. I'm not quite as extreme, but breakfast is the meal I find most satisfying on all levels. If I were to skip any meal it would be supper.

F.

Wannabeskinny
12-26-2013, 02:45 PM
You may be losing weight but with what you are eating you are losing muscle right along with fat and lowering your metabolism. Eating junk is not good for anyone at any weight.

Why would you say this? The OP hasn't specified anything about what he eats during the day or his exercise routine. You're reaching a bit to suggest that he's losing muscle just because he's skipping a meal, that's not a fair assessment here. (OP, sorry if I'm wrong to assume you're male?)

Anyway, these sorts if conversations come up a lot during the holidays as everyone is indulging themselves guiltily and making plans on how to get healthy in the new year and trading diet secrets. I was involved in such a conversation just yesterday at Christmas dinner when one person said they didn't eat breakfast and everyone jumped down her throat. Another person said she ate a piece of cheese for breakfast and the other lady thought that was really unhealthy. It was an annoying conversation and I can't understand why people argue about these things? Why does everyone have to be the same?

pixelllate
12-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Why would you say this? The OP hasn't specified anything about what he eats during the day or his exercise routine. You're reaching a bit to suggest that he's losing muscle just because he's skipping a meal, that's not a fair assessment here. (OP, sorry if I'm wrong to assume you're male?)

Anyway, these sorts if conversations come up a lot during the holidays as everyone is indulging themselves guiltily and making plans on how to get healthy in the new year and trading diet secrets. I was involved in such a conversation just yesterday at Christmas dinner when one person said they didn't eat breakfast and everyone jumped down her throat. Another person said she ate a piece of cheese for breakfast and the other lady thought that was really unhealthy. It was an annoying conversation and I can't understand why people argue about these things? Why does everyone have to be the same?

Because it is into most people's minds to always announce that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I never regularly hear any common saying about any meal, except for breakfast and how it is the most important meal.

Same with the term "skipping meals" - it just tends to cause a kneejerk reaction in people to say that it'll "cause starvation mode" and "to eat more often to kickstart the metabolism." However, commenting on how healthy eating breakfast is way more common.

As far as why they argue about these things in the first place, its probably stems from the same giddy feeling that triggers people on the internet to make incredibly long threads about any issue, big or tiny.

http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2010/10/someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

Wannabeskinny
12-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Not everyone in our everyday lives wants to talk at length about the issues that plague us.

While I don't pupu anyone on what works for them I'm weary of when people say stuff like that "I lost a bunch of weight and ALL I had to do was ...." Because for me it's not as simple as that and it will never be. Being healthy is a huge list of dos, donts, and effort at the end of the day I've had to change a lot.

tadaponce
12-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I have done the IF...without knowing what it was called lol! I do this a lot when I know that I'm going to have a meal with a large amount of calories..it's my way of trying to balance out the day. It has worked for me :-)

amerrylife
12-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Some people do really well with IF and skipping breakfast. I am unable to do it though, so I stick with a small, high protein breakfast. :)

rubidoux
12-30-2013, 03:07 AM

One of the best parts of IFing is that it requires no thinking/decision making once you get used to it.
"morning coffee" is all I think about.

Yes! Yes! Yes! As soon as I eat on any given day, I tend to just want to keep eating, but before I've eaten, I'm usually fine. So what works great for me is one meal late in the day, low carb, but I don't worry about calories. I eat until I'm satisfied. Sometimes I find that I don't have much appetite for dinner, and then I'll have a snack, too, so I'll have enough fuel to get to dinner time the next night.

And I think a huge part of why this works for me is that when I get in a groove w it, I totally forget about food. There was one night not too long ago when I was laying down to get my kids to sleep at 9 pm and I realized that I had forgotten to feed them and myself! Oops!

happybug
12-30-2013, 04:12 AM
I can't skip breakfast or I faint. But you've obviously found something that works for you and that's the whole point of weight loss, it's entirely individual. Great work.

Thousandsunny
12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I've tried skipping breakfast but it throws me for a loop. I joke that the days I skip breakfast are the days that whatever classes I teach before lunch get The Beast. To Pixelllate's point about just thinking "morning coffee," I've been having luck with bulletproof coffee, as I try to lean more Paleo/primal so that's cool. If skipping works for you, that's wicked awesome!

@Pixelllate: I love that there's a relevant xkcd for everything.

krampus
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
I definitely think there are breakfast and non-breakfast people. This morning at the gym BF and I smelled the gym owner's 8 am breakfast of turkey and stuffing.

Our reactions were quite telling - BF had already eaten breakfast but reported that smelling food was making him hungry, and I found it a mildly nauseating nuisance. He has to eat within an hour of waking or he'll be cranky - I can't even think about eating before noon on most days.

thesame7lbs
01-02-2014, 11:42 AM
The NY Times often has interesting and informative articles on diet, nutrition, and weight loss. A couple on breakfast:

Myths Surround Breakfast and Weight (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/myths-surround-breakfast-and-weight/?smid=pl-share)

Diet: Bigger Breakfast, Bigger Calorie Count (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/health/research/01diet.html?ref=health)

llove
01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Some will say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

memememe76
01-03-2014, 12:14 AM
I learned that just as there is a whole lotta ways to gain weight, there are a whole lotta way to lose it. I personally skip breakfast because I almost never want to eat--just have coffee. I can barely understand the concept of making yourself eat when you're not hungry. I'm hungry the rest of the day, and I'll eat then.

That said, I know that skipping any meals (even dessert) is tantamount to admitting you are starving yourself, so I don't actively promote it. I'm fine with people eating breakfast--small, large or somewhere in between.

MeganTheMushroom
01-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I have always loved breakfast.. fruit, oatmeal, toast with peanut butter, cinnamon, maple syrup...
Yet lately, I haven't been into it. I wake up, sometimes I'm hungry, but I don't want to eat. Instead, I have a snack a couple hours after getting out of bed and a couple hours before lunch.
Since I'm vegan, breakfast is often fruit + grain. If I keep the fruit as a snack and cut out the grain, it's a lot healthier too since grains are so rough on the gut.

What memememe said- if you're hungry, eat; if you're not hungry or don't feel like eating, don't. If skipping breakfast works for your schedule and your stomach rumbles, then do it :)
But some people need breakfast to have energy throughout the day, and those people should eat breakfast

CherryPie99
01-03-2014, 12:21 PM
According to the National Weight Control Registry, for people that have lost and have successfully maintained their loss, 78% eat breakfast.

For what it's worth...

magical
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Perhaps we should also define what people mean by "eating breakfast". Are we talking about a full on meal?

I was one of the posters who said that I cannot last the morning without breakfast but to me, breakfast means a cup of coffee and a banana, nothing else. I have never had a "full" breakfast as such at home.

LovesToTravel
01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I was one of the posters who said that I cannot last the morning without breakfast but to me, breakfast means a cup of coffee and a banana, nothing else. I have never had a "full" breakfast as such at home.

Same here. I'm typically a breakfast eater, but my breakfast is tea or diet hot cocoa with a piece of fruit or light yogurt. 150 calories max. I need to have something, but I'm not especially hungry before noon.

onthedietagain
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I use to be sick if I don't have my toast with peanut butter and jam and coffee with cream. Then I read the book "6 weeks to OMG" and I followed the advice of training your body not having breakfast , but only have black coffee, as it suppose to help with burning fat.

It took me two weeks to re set my eating "clock" and now I am just not hungry at all before noon and I like it. I even love my black coffee now more then cappuccino.

BrittanyAB123
01-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Ok so for as long as I can remember, I've always gotten tired every afternoon and have had a hard time staying awake at work. This past week I stumbled upon an IF website and decided to give it a go (I've most recently been trying a pre-made meal service diet). My reasoning for IF was as follows:

1) My biggest problem is breakfast. If I don't have time to make something healthy, I stop on my way to work and end up with breakfast croissants, breakfast tacos, or kolaches.

2) I am always hungry all day long after I eat breakfast. I mean a serious hunger, as if I hadn't eaten at all.

3) I get super tired after eating breakfast. I mean to the point that I'm sleeping at my desk at work come 11-1pm (luckily it's a light sleep and I usually wake up before I get caught).

I know everybody is different because I've tried to go by the rule of numerous, small meals throughout the day and I've just gained more weight. Last week I tried skipping breakfast and it seems to work well in my case. I had sooo much energy all day and wasn't drinking my regular pot of coffee! I will say that I was drinking a lot of tea but most was low to no caffeine. The tea was really helpful in keeping hydrated and I didn't feel hungry all morning. For lunch I had a local pre-made meal (low cal diet meals). Dinner came and I didn't feel like stuffing myself! Left over chili and more tea.

I think this might be it for me! Hopefully it'll work out long term. I did eat breakfast Thursday and Friday and was tired and hungry all morning again. I saw how well it worked and will try to stick to it for longer than three days lol...

BrittanyAB123
01-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Okay so I'm on day 3 (consecutive day 3...I did 3 days last week too) and my energy levels are still great. I didn't get my usual afternoon crash Monday or Tuesday. Starting the day with a hot tea, I drink tea and water throughout the day and have not felt hungry until about 2-3pm (I take late lunches as my work day starts at 11). Dinners were still pretty light and i still didn't feel like stuffing myself.

My hardest thing is that breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day. I love breakfast foods. i've been eating breakfast foods at lunch time.

I do hate the idea of skipping meals as it obviously might be dangerous if taken too far. I don't want to seem like I'm just skipping meals blindly. I do feel like i'm getting more in tune with my body when it comes to eating and what my mind wants vs what my body wants...if that makes sense... I'm still thinking I'll keep it up for a bit, at least while I'm having positive side effects. I've been searching the net for personal stories but still don't see many. I'll check in again at some point. I'm thinking weekends should be free? at least saturday? maybe?

JustcallmeRiley
01-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Sometimes I'll just skip breakfast, but on the days I don't eat breakfast if I don't leave the house and go for a run when I get home, I have a huge urge to binge. So I try to eat something, today I had a low fat cheese stick and the day before that I had apple slices. I try to eat, even its just a little something.

Sakai
01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Depends on the person and circumstances. When I wake up i am (normally) NOT hungry; however, I eat breakfast because I know that if I don't I will be starving 2 hours before lunch hour and I will be cranky and have a headache and make terrible food choices. So I will eat breakfast even if I'm not hungry, normally something small, maybe just over 200 cals (depending)
If I have a small dinner I will wake up hungry and will have a more normal breakfast. (eggs, potatoes and so on) I try to stick to this because I would much rather have my largest meal of the day at the start of my day, not 2 hours before I go to bed.

Larry H
01-17-2014, 12:03 AM
I don't normally eat breakfast, but I have a friend on 3FC who is a doctor and he posted this today.

"Larry - what time do you wake up in the morning? Breakfast is important in weight loss. Besides the obvious curbing of hunger with the risk of overheating later keeping your metabolic furnace burning is important. Ie if your body is constantly moving food through the intestines, digesting and processing, it burns energy... = higher basal metabolic calorie burning = more "calories out". I would add some breakfast if I were you."

This makes sense to me so I am going to try consistently eating breakfast for a while and see how my weight loss is affected. We will call it a scientific experiment of sorts.

JohnP
01-17-2014, 12:32 AM
I don't normally eat breakfast, but I have a friend on 3FC who is a doctor and he posted this today.

"Larry - what time do you wake up in the morning? Breakfast is important in weight loss. Besides the obvious curbing of hunger with the risk of overheating later keeping your metabolic furnace burning is important. Ie if your body is constantly moving food through the intestines, digesting and processing, it burns energy... = higher basal metabolic calorie burning = more "calories out". I would add some breakfast if I were you."

This makes sense to me so I am going to try consistently eating breakfast for a while and see how my weight loss is affected. We will call it a scientific experiment of sorts.

Your doctor friend is completely wrong about breakfast increasing calories out. Given two people who ate the same exact foods but 1 spread it out through 10 meals in a day and another who ate two meals the number of calories utilized would be almost exactly the same with no relevance one way or another. A bigger meal just takes longer to digest.

As for hunger, this is highly dependent to the individual.

Larry H
01-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Your doctor friend is completely wrong about breakfast increasing calories out. Given two people who ate the same exact foods but 1 spread it out through 10 meals in a day and another who ate two meals the number of calories utilized would be almost exactly the same with no relevance one way or another. A bigger meal just takes longer to digest.

As for hunger, this is highly dependent to the individual.

John, After my experiment I will see which is best for me

JohnP
01-17-2014, 02:55 AM
John, After my experiment I will see which is best for me

Of course. I'm not questioning what might be a better way for one person or another when it comes to subjective factors.

I'm just posting for the benefit of those people who might read your post and think that because a doctor said it then it must be true that eating breakfast causes one to burn more calories due to digestion.

Wannabeskinny
01-17-2014, 09:06 AM
In my experience doctors say all kinds of things that have never worked for me.

Larry H
01-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Why not Google "breakfast metabolism" then start reading, researching and make up your own mind about breakfast. Keep in mind the reference source. The source needs to be a nationally recognized reliable source of information because there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I have found over the years that discussing breakfast on 3FC is similar to discussing religion or politics. Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right.

Wannabeskinny
01-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Why not Google "breakfast metabolism" then start reading, researching and make up your own mind about breakfast. Keep in mind the reference source. The source needs to be a nationally recognized reliable source of information because there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I have found over the years that discussing breakfast on 3FC is similar to discussing religion or politics. Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right.

No, that's not true. I don't think anyone here said they were right. In fact people shared what works for them and what doesn't work for them. Most people here have said "find what works for you." Nobody has said "this is right" or "that's wrong" at all. One has to make up their own mind.

Larry H
01-17-2014, 09:59 AM
No, that's not true. I don't think anyone here said they were right. In fact people shared what works for them and what doesn't work for them. Most people here have said "find what works for you." Nobody has said "this is right" or "that's wrong" at all. One has to make up their own mind.

Ah then we agree. I never said that anyone here said they were right and I suggested they make up their own minds.

JohnP
01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Larry -

All I am saying is that eating breakfast does not speed up your metabolism.

This has been studied quite a bit. Many meals vs few meals. Breakfast vs fasting.

Digestion takes calories yes but if you eat 1000 calories spread out over 3 meals or 1000 calories in 1 meal you will burn the same number of calories due to digestion.

You can google a lot of things and come up with a lot of false information. It's not a question of who is right and who is wrong. It is a question of fact vs fiction. Truth vs myth.

SweetCurves32
01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
I know that for me personally I find that when I don't eat breakfast my eating seems to be out of control for the rest of the day. So for that reason alone I know that eating breakfast everyday is a must for me.

LilDazed
01-23-2014, 02:56 PM
I wake up pretty hungry, so there's rarely been a time I've skipped breakfast. =/ And my sleeping schedule has been pretty whack lately so I stay up really late but don't eat anything. Then when I wake up, I'm running on empty.

khat
01-23-2014, 07:18 PM
I really don't like breakfast. It makes me feel bloated and hungry and sleepy. If I eat breakfast I can eat all sort of crap throughout the day. I like drinking some juice, some tea.. And then eating after 11-12h. If I'm really hungry I have some fruit or something light. No breakfast means control over my food for me.

Atarimae
01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
As a college student that doesn't have morning classes, I normally sleep long enough to avoid breakfast. If I am up for breakfast though, normally I'll have something light. I really do prefer not to eat it just for calorie purposes (dumb mentality, but I feel nicer knowing I have a lot more allotted calories later in the day, since between a "normal" lunch and dinner, that's like 4 meals for me right there.) :lol: