Old 12-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #1  
Started IP 10/30/13

S/C/G: 273/248/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Field Salad??

I'm getting really frustrated! I posted a while ago about how my clinic told me 5 weeks in that spinach was basically an unlimited veggie, like lettuce, even if I eat it raw, simply for the fact that it "cooks down so much". Most of you responded that your clinics say otherwise, and that it IS a select veggie, even if eaten raw.

The next week, I met with a different coach (I have 2) and brought it up to her and how others that I spoke to said their clinic does not go by that rule. She basically acted like all your clinics are doing it wrong.

I was having a "spring mix salad" with an extra cup of spinach daily. I've stopped eating the spinach in it, because I don't want to eat it anymore if they won't let me count it. Very upset about it!

The original coach looked through my journal yesterday and saw my regular documented "Spring Mix Salad". She said: "You know that doesn't count, right?"

I have literally eaten and documented Spring Mix Salad with 1 cup spinach in my journal every single day for 6 weeks and I am just now being told this?

So I tell her "Oh, ok sorry, I thought that was what the Field Salad was that was listed on our phase 1 sheet. What is field salad then?" and she was like "Umm... I'm not sure... I'll have to check".

So I Googled it:

"Commercially, a field salad blend of young arugula, curly endive, field lettuce, mizuna, mustard greens, radicchio, and red chard is packaged as spring greens or a mesclun salad mix. "

Can anyone out there confirm what the heck field salad is? LOL I am getting so irritated. Getting all my veggies in is REALLY hard for me as I don't like many of the veggies on the Select Veggies list and find myself eating the same 2 or 3 veggies and getting bored with them. I would really like to eat the spring mix with spinach (and count it). I typically buy a bag or plastic container of organic "Spring Mix". Thanks!
itzroxy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #2  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

I don't ever use the "eat unlimited grean leafy vegetables"...it doesn't really help me. But I eat spinach all the time as my 2 or sometimes 4 cups a day. I seem to be losing alright.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #3  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

My coach says spring mix counts towards your veggies - only lettuce (romaine, iceberg, etc.) are unlimited.

If you look at the latest P1 sheet "field salad" is included as a select veggie. Which makes sense since endive, swiss chard, etc. are also listed as select veggies.

And since spinach is included in the select veggies it absolutely does count.

If I was you (my opinion only) I would ignore your coach and go by what the sheet says.

I've used field salad and spinach as a select veggie from day 1.

ETA: Spring mix and field salad really are the same thing from what I can tell.

Last edited by Ruth Ann; 12-20-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzroxy814 View Post
I'm getting really frustrated! I posted a while ago about how my clinic told me 5 weeks in that spinach was basically an unlimited veggie, like lettuce, even if I eat it raw, simply for the fact that it "cooks down so much". Most of you responded that your clinics say otherwise, and that it IS a select veggie, even if eaten raw.

The next week, I met with a different coach (I have 2) and brought it up to her and how others that I spoke to said their clinic does not go by that rule. She basically acted like all your clinics are doing it wrong.

I was having a "spring mix salad" with an extra cup of spinach daily. I've stopped eating the spinach in it, because I don't want to eat it anymore if they won't let me count it. Very upset about it!

The original coach looked through my journal yesterday and saw my regular documented "Spring Mix Salad". She said: "You know that doesn't count, right?"

I have literally eaten and documented Spring Mix Salad with 1 cup spinach in my journal every single day for 6 weeks and I am just now being told this?

So I tell her "Oh, ok sorry, I thought that was what the Field Salad was that was listed on our phase 1 sheet. What is field salad then?" and she was like "Umm... I'm not sure... I'll have to check".

So I Googled it:

"Commercially, a field salad blend of young arugula, curly endive, field lettuce, mizuna, mustard greens, radicchio, and red chard is packaged as spring greens or a mesclun salad mix. "

Can anyone out there confirm what the heck field salad is? LOL I am getting so irritated. Getting all my veggies in is REALLY hard for me as I don't like many of the veggies on the Select Veggies list and find myself eating the same 2 or 3 veggies and getting bored with them. I would really like to eat the spring mix with spinach (and count it). I typically buy a bag or plastic container of organic "Spring Mix". Thanks!
You got this.
Field greens/spring mix with spinach are VEGGIES

As you see, "field salad" is listed on the P1 sheet as a veggie. So is raddicio, spinach, swiss chard.

Perhaps for your coaches, just list raddicio, arugula, endive & swiss chard so they'll leave you alone!

You obvoiously know what you're doing. Remember, a coach is only as good as their training/trainer. If they want to act like the sheet is wrong, geez...what are you PAYING them for???

Only "lettuce" (as in romaine, iceburg, boston) are lettuce freebies.
Like I said, you got this. You know what you're doing.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #5  
Started IP 04/22/2013

yeah, what lisa said!

And I like the turtle!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
yeah, what lisa said!

And I like the turtle!
Had to go searching for one. Finally had the time and inclination to do so.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Your clinic may have been right on the spinach!
This is from comments on the ideal protein video on Handling social events. there was a recipe for a smoothie with spinach also shown on a video:
J Peacock- is official from ideal protein

Bette Dixon Says:

Smoothie sounds very good. However, Comment #98 asked if raw spinach count towards the 4 cups a day. The response was, if raw it is unlimited like lettuce. With that being said, does the raw spinach in the smoothie then Not count towards your veggies?

Jae Peacock Says:

It is matter of choice. If it is raw like in the smoothie you can count it or not. Likewise if you use it as a lettuce. If you cook it, it is automatically a veggie. This is where you have some discretion as a dieter. It is nice to count spinach as a veggie for those who have a hard time eating all of their veggies because it is light, yet full of nutrients. On the flip-side it can be filling for those who find plain lettuce isn't enough. In both cases, your responsibility as a dieter is to monitor your results, the scale will tell you if your choice is working for you or not.
mckaren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #8  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Mckaren - thanks for the info, that's interesting. And I hate it when they say This is where you have some discretion as a dieter. One of the nice things about this program is the clear rules.

Here's a link to the nutritional value of lettuce v. spinach. Spinach has 3x the protein of lettuce and more net carbs (although neither has very many). For me, I think I'll stick to lettuce as unlimited and keep counting the spinach.

http://skipthepie.org/vegetables-and...inach-raw/#nut
Old 12-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #9  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Field Salad ... eat all you want !!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 12-23-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #10  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

It is interesting how the information varies so much between clinics.

I was told raw spinach is a veggie - not a lettuce. I was also told that romaine is the best lettuce to eat. I have never been told not to eat field greens - but I haven't asked. I don't care for the bitterness of mixed greens/field greens.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #11  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
Field Salad ... eat all you want !!

LOL Avalon! Guess we can all graze in the backyard all we want!