Weight Loss Support - July Bootcamp Challenge

View Full Version : July Bootcamp Challenge

Terri in MO
07-06-2003, 06:58 PM
:drill: :drill: :drill:

Come on in! This thread is not for the faint of heart. This challenge thread is for those who want to make a commitment to setting goals, formulating plans to achieve those goals, and just plain work your butt off!

Set the goals of your choice. Pick a diet plan of your choice. Pick the exercise of your choice. Pick the method of accountability of your choice whether its a food journal, personal coach or Fitday.

Its a fact that if your set your goals, make a personal commitment to achieving those goals, and are personally acountable each day, you will be much closer to achieving what you want than if you just flounder through unfocused on a daily basis.

That's what this thread is all about. Its about being focused and leaving all the personal stuff at the door. No whining, no griping, no negative stuff. Bad days happen and in boot camp we just pick ourselves up and move on.

State your goals and how you're going to achieve these goals and lets be able to post positive results on July 31st.

Be realistic as this will be a short challenge.

And let's HAVE FUN!

Terri in MO
07-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Here's my goals:

1. Break past the 250 barrier. (I'm at 255 today)
2. Improve my cardio endurance to 45 minutes on the bike/airdyne/spinner or doing the 3 mile WATP (this is in addition to the 1.5 mile dog walk as I consider it his exercise)

Here's my strategy:
1. WW with a South Beach twist.
2. Journal faithfully and measure out portions for accuracy.
3. Plan each weeks menu and food lists.
4. Avoid the salty peanuts.

For the week:
I will go back on SBD phase 1 for the first four days of the week with the exception of shredded wheat, milk and a small fruit at breakfast. I just can't see another egg for a week.

I will either ride my bike (heat permitting) or the spinner for 30 minutes twice this week and do the airdyne for 25 mintues twice this week.

I will get in the mornings and do my upper body with the 8 lb weights twice this week and once with the 5 pound weights.

:drill: :strong:

simcoe
07-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi Terri...way to go with starting the new thread. I am all for it.

My "short term" challenge goals are to
1. Kick my butt past the 180 mark. I have been stuck at 183 for a couple of weeks now.

2. Pick up the pace on my weights and resistance training. Aerobic activity is way okay, but I have been slacking off on the other and it is showing.

3. Get serious again. I am at a plateau because I am taking in more calories than I am expending, plain and simple.

I have picked up a new book by Jim Karas called "Flip the Switch" and it has been filling me with motivation and new ideas. This is not as hard as we make it sometimes. Eat it, burn it and lose it!!

brunissen
07-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Terri - the new thread is a great idea, and I like the thought of a monthly challenge too.

So here are my goals for July:

Lose 10 pounds - that would make me 290 at the end of the month.
Food - 1650 cal - 60% carb, 20% protien, 20% fat (based on the evil trainer's food plan).
Water - 160 oz/daily
Cardio - 4x week
Trainer - this is a tough month with he and I both out of town for almost 2 weeks - I'll just take this one as it comes.

The big goal - I'm spending 5 days in LA next week, my goal is to watch/log what I eat and do my cardio daily. I've already found a 24 Hour fitness in the area.

Here's to a successful July Bootcamp!

psm :)

Genesis
07-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Can I join? I have a birthday coming up on July 29 and I want to break the 140 mark and hopefully be 139 by my b-day (currently 146). I am working very hard to lose & shape up as I'm getting married on Maui on October 25th.

Here's my plan...

1. Daily exercise (45 to 60 minutes) alternating cardio and strength training
2. Yoga at least once per week (in addition to above exercise)
3. Ice skating at least once per week (in addition to above exercise)
4. Eating small, frequent lower-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian meals
5. Drinking lots of water

I'm also using FitDay. So far today I've completed 45 minutes of strength training (I did The Firm Tough Tape 2 DVD workout) and here's what I've eaten so far today...

6:30am - 2 hard boiled eggs with 1 Tbs shredded cheddar and a glass of V8
8:00am - 12oz glass of non-fat milk
11:00am - handfull of peanuts
12:00pm - small green salad topped with cottage cheese & roasted bell peppers

brunissen
07-07-2003, 06:23 PM
And Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

simcoe
07-07-2003, 07:16 PM
So far, so good....well okay, it's only been one day, but what the heck.

Food was good today, did the aerobics thing this a.m. and will be working with free weights tonight. I will be doing the upper body tonight, and the lower body at the gym tomorrow.

Welcome Genesis. Sounds to me like you are doing great so far. Nothing like a wedding in Maui to keep the motivation going.
:)

Terri in MO
07-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi Genesis! Welcome to the group! Looks like a great plan and great goals for everyone.

I just finished 31 kick-a$$ minutes on the spinner with my Johnny G video. I wasn't sure if I could make it that long - but woohoo, almost to the end!. :strong: No more spinning while watching Friends. :nono:

Food has been good today so, so far so good here too!

Let's kick booty this month. We ROCK!

:drill:

Genesis
07-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! Unfortunately I slept through my alarm this morning & missed my usual morning workout, but I am going ice skating this evening so I guess I'll just count that as my daily exercise. I usually skate for an hour and a half so I figure that's good enough. My legs are so sore today from yesterday's strength workout! No pain no gain!

Here's a link to my FitDay journal: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Tiny%5FD

TonyaS
07-08-2003, 01:29 PM
my goal is so small compared to some others, but still my goal nonetheless :)

I want to be under 120 pounds, I am only 5'4", and I just prefer to try to stay at the low end of my healthy weight range. SO, I need to lose 4-5 more, and instead over the 4th I gained a few I think...

I NEED to work out at least 3 times a week, and I need to STAY AWAY FROM CHOCOLATE AND ICE CREAM , hahah! :)

so yeah, by the end of July, I want 122 or lower if possible. My goal is by the end of August which I think is pretty reasonable. I had SO much motivation when I started dieting at 165 pounds, and I need to get that back, somehow.

brunissen
07-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Had a really good monday! Did well on the food, water, did my cardio, AND worked with the evil trainer!

Plan for today - same as yesterday, except no evil trainer.

simcoe
07-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Tonya, don't worry about your goal being smaller than others. We all want to be our best, and yours is no different than anyone elses. Congrats on the loss so far....awsome!!

Went to the gym today and did lower body. Even tried some machines that I had never tried before. Actually, I am feeling a new sense of renewal, after being down for a few weeks. Just one of those cycles I guess. My new book is helping and is reminding me of what my goals were and that I can attain them.

Off to my muscle conditioning class tomorrow which is usually BRUTAL, but gets easier each time I go. Wish me luck!!

Terri in MO
07-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Hi Tonya,

Welcome to the group. As Simcoe said, it doesn't matter how big or how small your goals are. Its all about becoming more fit and healthier.

Today was another good food day. I've been logging it into Fitday - wow, that's time consuming - but it helps to know the mix of what we're eating. I did 35 killer minutes again on the spinner. I'll be going for our walk here pretty quick.

I won't be able to post tomorrow night. Keep up all the great work. :strong:

brunissen
07-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Did pretty well yesterday, only it was so :censored: hot here I couldn't force myself to go and do my cardio. Did VERY well on food and water tho! :D

Welcome Tonya!

Hope you all have a great (and not so very HOT) Wednesday!

choci
07-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi there everyone,

Would it be OK if I jumped in a little late? I like that this group is a little more "cozy", and you seem like nice folks! :)

After a couple months of maintaining a 50+ pound loss, I've gained almost 20 pounds in about a month's time! (Scary!) I used to come here regularly and I'm happy to be back... the support here is amazing.

Anyway, I'm pulling up the old bootstraps and nipping this in the bud (well, it's pretty much bloomed now, I guess). I started back up again on Monday, full force, and I'm happy to say that it's been going well, and fairly easy. I guess I just need to remind myself how much better I felt when I am eating healthfully and exercising regularly. I still want to lose at least another 50 pounds, beyond that I'll see how I feel.

So: my starting weight on Monday was 275. By the end of the month, I'd like to see 260. I know that seems like a lot to lose in a short time, but I know my body and I'm pretty confident that these "new" pounds will come off pretty quickly if I do all the right things.

I haven't started exercising regularly again yet. I'm going to try to get at least one session in by the end of the week, and from there on out, exercise at least 3x a week. I work out with aerobics tapes as well as Pilates and weight routines.

As far as food stuff goes, I keep track on FitDay and try to keep it at around 1500 cals a day, 30% fat, 20% protein and 50% carbs.

Good luck to everyone! I look forward to getting to know you better!

Amy

Genesis
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Welcome Amy & Tonya...good luck reaching your goals. You can do it! ;)

Yesterday was a great day food-wise but I didn't get quite as much exercise in as I would have liked. I was only able to ice skate for 45 minutes, so I didn't reach my exercise goal for the day. But hey, any exercise is better than o exercise, right? :D

Today I've gotten off to a great start. I did my Minna Lessig "Emergency" cardio DVD workout (which is 30 minutes long) and I plan to go for a 30 minute walk during my lunch break.

As I stated earlier, my longer term goal is to be in peak shape by my wedding on Maui on October 25th. Well, I had a great surprise last night, a dear friend of mine who lives in Melbourne, Australia called me to tell me she will be able to come to my wedding! I haven't seen her in 11 years so I'm absolutely thrilled! I never expected her to fly from Australia just for my wedding! Yay!

Have a great day everyone! :p

TonyaS
07-09-2003, 11:58 AM
I kept track on Fitday yesterday, stayed under 1500 calories Weee! :)

I also did my treadmill for 20 minutes, just to boost my metabolism it nothing else, and I did some situps, and leglifts, and lunges :)

it really felt good, I want to feel that good tonight, so I am aiming to do the same thing, I need to just remember how good it feels when I don't feel like getting off my butt and doing it!

simcoe
07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Tanya, wow...it is amazing how quickly the pounds pile up again.
Congrats on not letting it get you down for good! I know how it feels to want to throw the towel. I do the same though and focus on how good I feel when I am on program. For me exercise has been the key, without it I would have not made half of the progress that I have seen.

Did my one hour muscle conditioning class this morning. I have been finding that it is important to do just as much muscle work as it is for aerobics. I tend to stagnate when I don't keep up with the muscle stuff. Remember muscle burns calories, too.

Anyway, hope everyone's day is going well. I am recording my food as well, which is a chore, but at least keeps us honest.

RAken
07-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Hello

I have been dieting for 27 weeks now and lost 86lbs but I snapped last week and gained two pounds! I am determined to get back on track!

My goal is to lose 15lbs by the end of the month, weight train twice a week, pilates twice a week, cross-training once a week,and walk 3 miles every other day!

I hope you don't mind me joining your group so late in the month!

Good Luck to everyone!;)

brunissen
07-10-2003, 10:18 AM
RAken - 86lbs! WOW!!! That's great - and a 2lb gain isn't anything to worry about!

Did okay yesterday - went over on my calories, but I did my cardio and did stretching with the evil trainer. He was trying to work out kinks in a hamstring, knee, and shoulder - he had some success but he thinks that the Elliptical for my cardio is making things worse right now. So for the next two weeks the only cardio I'm supposed to do is swimming (NO Backstroke - bad for the shoulder) and the Treadmill. Now, as much as I HATE the Elliptical, I hate the Treadmill even more because it's sooooo damn boring! *grumble*

So that means I'm bringing my swim gear with me to LA-LA Land next week - hopefully the hotel pool will be nice.

Have a great Thursday ladies!

simcoe
07-10-2003, 12:45 PM
I agree with Brunissen, Rakin - 2lbs is nothing to worry about considering what you have done so far. Way to go!!

Doing okay today, calories are okay and exercise on plan. I was obsessed with food yesterday for some reason. Not eating, but I felt hungry all day and all I could do was think about food. Why does this happen sometimes??? At the end of the night I was craving a carb so I had two frozen blueberry and fibre waffles with some sugar free jam which seemed to do the trick. Weird day, though. Maybe because I did alot of muscle training yesterday? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Well off to make the beds, fold laundry, empty dishwasher........

choci
07-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Hi everyone,

It's Day 4 back on "the program" and it's going well. I've been feeling a little preoccupied about food, but the desire to get back down to below 260 is keeping me focused.

I'm an every day weigher; it really keeps me honest and on track. I don't absolutely count on the numbers, except for my "official" weigh-in days, but I do like to make sure I am staying on track for the most part. Anyway, so far this week I've managed to shave off five of those 17.5 pounds I put on last month, which is great. The real test is going to be next week, though: PMS week! Yikes! I'm prepared to hang in there.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Amy

Terri in MO
07-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Hi ladies!

You're doing great! Not much time for catching up with everyone. Welcome to the new bootcampers! Good luck and work your booty off!

Wednesday was my day off from exercise. I decided since I had been hitting the spinner hard, I better give the knees a chance to recover. I did keep food OP with South Beach. Yesterday was also a good food day but I didn't get my 25 minutes on the airdyne done. Sometimes, DH is a major distraction. But I did do my morning conditioning exercise with the 8 lb weights and then walked the dog for 1.5 miles late in the evening.

Tonight, I will get my exercise in and THEN sit down to talk with DH.

Better get ready for work. Have a great OP day!

Let wear our sweat proudly! :drill:

RAken
07-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Good Job Everyone staying with your plans!

I was good yesterday, I did cross training for an hour and stayed with my food program. I did my 35 minute pilates this morning and plan to mow the yard later.:D

simcoe- when I find that I am thinking about food all day and feel hungry, I drink lots and lots of bottle watered. Water seems to refresh me but most of all it takes away the hungry pains! Good Luck!:)

brunissen
07-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Lordy this was one long week....

Did really well yesterday - dead on with my calories and water, and I did 30 minutes on the treadmill at lunch....I don't know if that's going to help my hammy or not because it's really tight today. *sigh* So I'm debating between treadmill at lunch or just swimming tonight for an hour.

Have a good Friday ladies!

simcoe
07-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the advise, Rakin. I will try to stay focused on the water, maybe crystal lite for a change.

Actually, since I made it through the last "I am starving to death" day, things have been okay. We actually had cake in the house yesterday and I limited myself to one small piece with out too much trouble.

Did aerobics today even though I did not feel like it, but I felt much better afterwards. I am looking forward to a positive weekend. These are usually my downfall, but I have learned that I cannot eat properly for 5 days and then screw up for two days. It just does not work!! I know what is coming up and I have been planning my meals in my head, so I know what I am doing. Even if it kills me, which it won't, I will stick to it. These are just like any other two days, right?

Have a good one girls.

TonyaS
07-11-2003, 06:55 PM
I did SO good tuesday and Wednesday, ate good, worked out both nights, but all week I have also been battling a really bad migraine. It peaks out in the morning as soon as I open my eyes, and I battle it all day. So yesterday I was doing really good, until I had a few beers and that sorta messed up my calorie situation, I also didn't work out at all.. Then today I just had to try those McGriddles from McDonalds, I rarely eat fast food but often my curiosity gets the best of me :P They were good, not as good as I thought, which is good because I know now, and probably wont go get one again for a long time. I was over on my fat grams today, but managed (even with McDonalds) to stay SO FAR at 1200 calories :) If I can handle working out I will... I really want to nail this migraine for good today, I don't think I can handle another day of waking up with a rubber mallet being hammered against the inside of my forehead .. :(

Bluvsu2
07-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Well I hope you don't mind another one.

Since last week I have been off program. I have been on WW since Jan. and have lost 43.8 pounds. Well I will find out tomorrow cause I am going to a Saturday meeting and then to my regular Sunday meeting.

My July goals:
3 more weigh ins- to lose 5 pounds
Start excerising more- 3 times a week (at least 30 min)
Drink all my water every day

Okay and will I do this:
I can lose the 5 pounds by following WW
I will walk on lunch hours and after work and on weekend.
I will keep bottled water at home and have a bottle at work to refill

Can't wait to get to know you all better.

My username..bluvsu2--- B-Luvs-u-2

I call my son B and one day he put that message in my cell phone. It has been there every since

Genesis
07-12-2003, 02:14 AM
My family has thrown some curve balls my way this week, so I've been derailed from my exercise but have kept my eating in check. I am proud of that. Have not gone over about 1,400 calories all week (I think). I'm using FitDay to track.

I plan to get back on the exercise wagon tomorrow. I missed Thursday & Friday's workouts. Oh well, I strive for progress not perfection.

I did take a peek at the book "The Soy Zone" today and was interested. I'm a lacto ovo vegetarian and I've been trying to "eat in the zone." Controlling my carb intake and eating adequate protein really helps with weightloss. I will keep the "soy zone" in mind as I plan my meals.

Oh, I was irritated with a co-worker yesterday. I budgeted my food for the day & planned to include 15 potato chips with my lunch. When she saw me eating them she sarcastically said "So, you're on the potato chip diet now?" I wanted to slug her! I can't totally deprive myself of everything, but if I eat in moderation and control my portions I'll be fine. Oh well, she's heavier than I am :s:

Bluvsu2
07-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Genesis-the one thing I have learned is the people who talk more about your weight loss and eating are the ones who have not decided to take control of their own yet. I have people at work who see me eating something and say oh I wish I could be on that diet. Well I am not on a diet this is my way of life now. And we all have good and bad days. But the good just need to out weigh (no pun intended) the bad.

Vacation gain was 2.4 so that is not to bad. Goal to get that off this week. I also think TOM is coming soon and that is usually good for a 4 to 6 pound loss. Don't gain that before but I always a have HUGE losses the week after.

Today is a cleaning day here and I will excerise too.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

Terri in MO
07-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Just time for a quick report. I'm officially down 6.4 pounds since 6/23. Woohoo!! We're all loaded up with veggies for the weekend and first half of the week. I'll report in later with exercise accomplishments today (that will make sure I actually do some today so I can report it! :lol: )

Genesis
07-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Bluvsu2 - Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I weighed myself first thing this morning...down 3 pounds since Monday! Yay! :flow1: That's motivation to stay on track!

My fiance and I are off to see the Seattle Street of Dreams today. I don't know if you have the "Street of Dreams" in your area, but every summer in Seattle builders get together and build a dream neighborhood with huge, fancy houses that you can tour. It's a lot of fun to see the amazing homes & the beautiful decor. Then, after that we're off to the mall to register for our wedding. Then, after that we're going to see "Pirates of the Caribbean!" So maybe I'll keep myself so busy today I won't even think about food (yeah right!)

Have a great day everybody! :)

simcoe
07-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Genesis, it never ceases to amaze me what some people will think is their business. I have had one lady from my church of all places, say to me when I was on my way to a good-bye doo at the church, "you don't look like you need any cake". People think that because we are in varying degrees of overweight, that it is all of a sudden their place to comment on what we wear, eat, look like, how we exercise etc. I know for a fact that I am in much better shape than most of my "skinny" friends, even though I am carrying some extra weight.

Bottom line, I know where you are coming from. Okay, rant over.

RAken
07-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Genesis-I am sorry that you have to work with people that are insecure about themselves so they have try to discourage you and make you feel insecure. You know what plan you are on and don't let anyone discourage you! The words maybe hurtful but actually they are jealous of you because you have set goals and are sticking to them! The problem is they don't have that self-control themselves. I have people tell me all the time if I ate those chips on my diet I would never stay on it. I also reply with If I had that attitude I wouldn't either! Keep your chin up and stay on task! Once you start seeing results so will they and they will envy you!

Since I have taken off some of my weight I have people tell me that I am inspiration to them! I thanked them but said I still have a long way to go! I know that I have made a lifetime committment not a 3 month or year one. Hang in there Genesis it will get easier to blow those type of people off!!

I have stayed on track today except I haven't had time to exercise! Both my boys have baseball today! One has a double header tonight and the other played at 9:00 am.

Have a Great Saturday!;)

Genesis
07-12-2003, 11:24 PM
RAken and simcoe, you're the best! Thanks for the support. Eating right for life is a struggle, but we can do it! :smug:

Terri in MO
07-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Hello bootcampers! :drill:

How is everyone's weekend? We've relaxed a bit with food for the weekend but certainly not like we used to do before getting committed three weeks ago. We've worked in some starchy carbs just to keep us from having binges later on. I'll work up the final food plan for the week and we're ready to get focused on the lean proteins and veggies.

Yesterday, we ended up taking two hour naps which is incredibly unusual for me so I must have needed it. We did some yardwork but I didn't do any cardio. I'll get my bike out this afternoon and take a spin around the neighborhood.

Looks like everyone is doing well especially with dealing with folks who try to derail your efforts. Don't ever quit no matter what anyone says

We're almost halfway through our bootcamp for July. Still plenty of time to kick butt on some fat! My plans for the week are to do three spin sessions with Johnny G video, walk the dog every night, use the 8 lb handweights three times, and do two 20 minute airdyne sessions. I want that scale to be under 250 by month end.

Have a great Sunday afternoon!

RAken
07-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Hello Everyone!

I lost 4 lbs last week! So now I am at 90lbs off and only 11 more to go before the end of the month!

We had a relaxing Sunday! No Baseball! It was awesome! However, I didn't do any exercising over the weekend:nono: so I have to work extra hard this week. I lifted weights this morning and hopefully later I will be able to go for a walk!

Have a Great Monday!!:cb: :cb:

Genesis
07-14-2003, 11:32 AM
I had a not so healthy dinner last night (Taco Time veggie wrap with mexi fries:devil: ) but I kicked it up a notch during my workout this morning to compensate. Now, my muscles are fatigued & and I want to go back to bed (and it's only 8am!).

Have a great week everybody! :cb:

simcoe
07-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi guys. Sounds like most who have posted are doing really well. I had my first "on track" weekend in a long time and I am thrilled!!! This included having a dinner out and having a birthday party for my son. I am sure what helped is that I planned out my weekend, I knew what was happening and I had in my mind the whole time what I would be eating. It felt great to get through it on a positive note for once.

Exercise has been good also, did a 30 min. bike ride and some free weights on Sunday; had aerobics and a 40 minute bike ride today.

Also, last Monday I decided to stop weighing myself everyday which was stressing me out so today was my weigh in and I am down 2lbs to 181 :strong: My goal is to be under 180 by the end of the challenge so I am well on my way.

Keep it up ladies. We are doing great.

Terri in MO
07-14-2003, 09:33 PM
:bravo: Rhonda! Four pounds is great!

Doing well ladies! Food was good today but it was not a good exercise day. I have no energy whatsoever because of allergy problems. I will take the dog for our walk but it will not be at a fast pace. I did use the 8 lb weights this morning and its getting a little easier. Progress!

RAken
07-15-2003, 09:41 AM
simcoe-Congratulations on the 2lb loss and not for wieghing yourself everyday! That would stress me out too!:cb: :cb:

Genesis-Good job compensating for the calorie intake! :bravo:

determined to succeed-I hope your allergies clear up and you start feeling better!

I did so so yesterday with calorie intake! My son was eating skittles so course I had to eat some. I usually am pretty strong and resist but not last night! I did get up today and do a walk/jog routine! I didn't think this fat body would every jog again!

Have a Great Day!:D

TonyaS
07-15-2003, 11:28 AM
I have made great food choices for an entire week now :) I am down only 1 pound though.. O well. Last night I tried Pilates to break the repetition of my regular workout, I liked it, not sure if I got as much excercise as I thought I would though. Tonight it's back to the treadmill and grueling situps :)

simcoe
07-15-2003, 06:28 PM
"Just one lb" Tonya??? Sounds pretty darn good to me! Way to go!

Had a good day; did my journal on 3FC and recorded food intake. Today is my off day for workouts to give my poor body a rest. I usually try and keep at it 5 days out of 7 so I don't feel guilty about two days for rejunivation.

Let's keep at it, girls. We are almost half way through our second week!! Where does the time go.

TonyaS
07-16-2003, 11:41 AM
well yeah, make that 2 pounds.. :D hehe , I shouldn't weigh myself every morning, but sometimes I do... *shrug*

I took the night off last night from working out too, I had every intention, but like Simcoe said, 5/7 is a good way to do it, take 2 days off, sometimes even 3, it's good to relax some nights, especially when you are like me and work full time and take care of a family too :)

simcoe
07-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Wow, quiet on the thread tonight. Hopefully all are out enjoying a pleasant summer eve. Had a good day today, and did my one hour muscle conditioning class (ouch).

Just so you gals know, I will be leaving tomorrow for a weeks vacation so I won't be around. Hope you all keep well and will talk to you upon my return.

Cheers.;)

Terri in MO
07-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Tonya - Congrats on seeing a result of your efforts. Sure is frustrating when it doesn't happen as fast or as often as we would like. The body has a mind of its own! But keep it up and in the long run, it will happen.

Simcoe - Have a great vacation! Good for you for being accountable with the journal and food log. We'll see you in a week!

Bruissen - Still out there? Doing okay?

Ronda, Genesis, and everyone else - hope you're doing well and keeping at it. Every little bit adds up.

Keep Strong!

Oh yeah! Forgot to do my own report. :lol: Even though I felt like crap last night, I struggled through 20 mintues on the airdyne. Five minutes short of my goal. Tonight, I did 25. I've walked the dog both nights and my food has been good as well. So far, I've met my goals of two airdyne sessions this week and done one session with the 8 lb weights. Dog walking is on track. Guess I better get up and grab the weights in the morning and hit the spinner tomorrow night.

Have a great day tomorrow!

TonyaS
07-17-2003, 11:21 AM
thanks DTS :D

and simcoe have a great vacation!

I did so much better yesterday, forced myself to work out at 8pm at night, when it was almost too late and I was ready to slack off again, but I did it! and I made great choices food wise yesterday, including restaurant food, so that felt good too :)

I have to lose 1.75 pounds a week to hit my goal by August 31.. wee! here I go!

RAken
07-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Keep up the good work Ladies!

I haven't been very good the last three days!:s: My son is in a baseball tournament and we leave at 7:00 am and not returning until 7 pm. I have not made wise choices on the food.:mad: However, it has been hot I am hoping that I have sweated off a few pounds!:cool: I also haven't exercised since Tuesday, I am feeling a little guilty! I will have push myself this weekend to get back on track so I can reach my goal my the end of the month!;)

Take care and have a great Saturday! I will be at the Ball Field they are in the semifinal game at 8:00 am!

TonyaS
07-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Weekends are the hardest , that's for sure. I am making a mini goal for tommorow and sunday morning, I will work out in the morning, before doing anything else, so that it's out of the way and I dont' have to think about it all weekend " I need to work out" :)

Terri in MO
07-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Hi ladies!

Yes, the weekends are hard for me too. I usually do very little exercise except walking the dog. My goal is to make up for what I haven't done this week.

I've got my bike shorts on as I type to do a spinner workout tonight. Tomorrow, I will do my 3rd workout with the 8lb weights, which fulfills that goal. As I'm behind on my spinning goal, I will do the spinner both Saturday and Sunday.

Water is usually a problem for me as well. I will use a 20 oz bottle and make sure I drink at least 4 of them a day.

Okay, that's my goals for the weekend. I'll keep you posted on how I do.

Have a great Friday evening and weekend! Keep focused as we're on the downward facing slide for our monthly goals. Keep strong!

:drill:

brunissen
07-19-2003, 01:36 AM
I spent the week in Anaheim on business, and let me tell you ladies it was a very bad time. No exercise, eating junk food all the time, and fell back into my old bulimic ways (throat is still kinda sore from that).... :(

But, I'm trying to put it all behind me now that I'm home, I'm determined to get back on track (I'm getting too damn bruised from falling off the wagon every month!). I worked out with the evil trainer today, and confessed my "sins" to him, and promised that when I see him Monday night I'll be focused again on what I'm trying to do. I didn't do so well with my food today, but it's certainly better than what I did the past week!

Vow for Saturday - 1650 HEALTHY calories (+/- 100), 160 oz water, at least 45 minutes of exercise (either the stationary bike, or swimming if TOM has subsided enough).

I'll be catching up on posts, and I hope you ladies have a great weekend!

psm

Terri in MO
07-19-2003, 11:05 AM
I did as planned last night. I did 30 good minutes on the spinner. DH woke me up before I was ready so he could watch the :censored: British open before 8 am so I'm cranky. I'll get uncranky and focus on my exercise goals here soon. Now, I better go get me some more water!

Have a great one!

Bruissen - Good to see you back and :grouphug: about your falling into old patterns. Just get past that. I see on your stats that you're past the 300 mark. :bravo: Take care!

Terri in MO
07-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Okay ladies, I'm checking back in for my Saturday plan.

Too grouchy for the 8 lb weights this morning but there's till time left of the day for that.

I just finished 40, yes count 'em FORTY, minutes on the spinner doing two segments of my VideoCycle tape.

I'm on bottle #2 of water so I'll be able to handle that and then some after that workout.

Have a great afternoon and let's kick butt! :drill:

brunissen
07-20-2003, 12:49 AM
Did okay on food, GREAT on water, and swam for 60 minutes :)

Plan for tomorrow - more of the same. I am going to try and do BOTH the stationary bike and swim - we'll see if I'm actually that motivated and energetic....

It's nice to be back posting here after my short absence - you ladies help keep the crazies away.

TonyaS
07-20-2003, 01:40 PM
well I totally screwed up friday, but saturday I did so awesome, I don't have a lot of time for a long reply, but I was good on water, food, and I excercised. Still not under 124, but I hope at the end of next week i will be :)

keep up the good work girls! :D

I am going to fight hard today to be good :D

Terri in MO
07-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Hello!

Looks like we're all back to kickin' butt. Slips happen but we're doing great at getting back in gear.

I just finished a 30 minute session on the spinner. Still drinking water and got some to go.

I met my weekly goals except for one session with the 8 lb weights. I'm feeling really great about how far I've come in endurance and stamina. All thanks to doing the bootcamps. I'm looking forward to starting a new one for August. :strong:

We're headed off to the lake tomorrow for the day. I'll be giving my legs a break!

My goals for the coming week are: 3 spinner sessions (2 at 35 mins and 1 at 45) and 2 airdyne sessions of 30 minutes each. Walk the dog 6 of 7 nights. Do four morning workouts with the 8 lb weights and leg/back exercises.

Have a great Sunday evening and a strong Monday!

brunissen
07-21-2003, 12:53 AM
Hey Ladies!

Well, sunday wasn't too bad, and I think I've recovered from what I did to myself while out of town.

I swam again today for 60 minutes, did okay on food and water as well.

The big goal for next week is to work out (swim, cardio, evil trainer) for a total of 6 hours...that's 360 minutes and I think it'll be doable. My ultimate goal is 6 hours EVERY week. :strong: So since I swam for an hour today, that leaves only 300 minutes remain through Saturday. :)

Here's to a great week for all of us!

TonyaS
07-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Brunissen, it's good to hear you recovered from your weekend in Anaheim, keep up the good work, you can do it! :)

RAken
07-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Glad here all of you are back on track! I didn't lose any weight last week but I did gain!:D

I was able to get 50 minute cross-training in on Sunday and then I lifted this morning. My food has been okay! I had pizza for dinner last night!:mad:

Let you know how the rest of the week goes!

brunissen
07-22-2003, 12:00 AM
thanks for the kind words Tonya!

today was good - food, water, and 30 minutes on the stationary bike (the feeling in my butt is FINALLY back :) ). I was supposed to work with the evil trainer tonight as well, but he called early this morning and had to cancel our sessions for Monday and Tuesday - but we are trying to reschedule for Fri and sat. That puts a slight wrinkle in my plan to hit 6 hours of exercise this week - but since I only planned on 90 minutes with him, I figure I can make it up somehow.

Plan for tomorrow - more of the same.

My exercise numbers:
Goal 360 minutes :strong:
So Far 90 minutes
Remaining 270 minutes

Have a great Tuesday ladies!!

Terri in MO
07-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Hi ladies,

Food yesterday was awful. Virturally no exercise either except for a 10 minute session with the 8 lb weights. We spent the day at the lake with the boat, the dog, mom and a niece. We had a great time. But ate picnic food that mom brought.

We're headed back again today without the dog. Oh well, I'll get back at it tomorrow. We needed this break from the routine with some fun!

Have a great day. Keep up all the great work. :strong:

TonyaS
07-22-2003, 11:38 AM
yesterday gets a *check* for me :D

I was good, water good, food good, excercise good. Still no loss for me.. either I am gaining muscle, or my body will just not allow lower than 125.

TonyaS
07-22-2003, 11:39 AM
and Terri, breaks are a good thing, don't get too strict, it could be more damage than good :)

keep up the good work!

simcoe
07-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi girls....I' back!!! Thought about you lots during my vacation (really!!) and hoped that everyone was doing well.

Holiday was great, nice and relaxing. Food was so,so as it usually is when we go camping, but exercise was really good. Kept up the activity level with lots of bike riding and walking, so all in all, I feel pretty good. Actually, since I have started losing weight, it is amazing how much easier physical activity of any kind is. I remember this time last year, when putting up the trailer and other camping gear was really tough because I was so out of shape. This year I noticed that my stamina was much better, so that makes stuff more enjoyable. Anybody else notice the same??

Well, tomorrow it is back to the regular eating pattern and recording again. It is good to be home :) .

TonyaS
07-22-2003, 07:28 PM
welcome back Simcoe!

brunissen
07-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey Simcoe - welcome back! Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation - camping is wonderful isn't it?

I did really well today - and I'm sticking to my resolve (so far) to do my cardio every day at lunch. Gotta hit that 6 hours exercise goal y'know! :strong:

Plan for tomorrow - more of the same, and to resist any temptation to eat junk or drink at a friends house tomorrow night.

Here's looking forward to a great wednesday for us all!

Terri in MO
07-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Welcome back Simcoe!

Camping used to be a favorite of mine but DH is not crazy about the idea. :( What a wuss. :lol:

We spent another day at the lake yesterday since we had so much fun on Monday. Again, food was not good. I did try doing various swimming around but didn't last long or go far. I don't think I can count it as "exercise". :lol: It was a gorgeous day as we're having a small break in the July heat. The dog and I had our normal walk last night so at least I did something!

This morning its back to work. Boo! But its also back to routine so that's good. I've done my morning exercises with the 8 lb weights, the leg/back exercises and ab stuff. Off to a good start. I'm looking forward to being back on track with food. Its amazing how you get used to eating (lean meats and veggies) and how not good the other stuff is when you fall off the wagon. Blech!

Have a great Wednesday ladies! Be strong! :strong: :drill:

simcoe
07-23-2003, 01:19 PM
I totally agree, Terri. Once your body gets used to eating properly, when you don't, it really lets you know it is not happy. You are right about the routine too, it is key. Once your day is different, everything seems to change and it is hard to keep it all together. That is what vacation is for though...don't worry about it.

Back to routine for me too and laundry, laundry, laundry. I don't remember wearing this many clothes when I was away. I think it multiplied in the car on the way home. Back to normal exercise routine tomorrow, because I had too much house stuff to do today. Hey, since when does housework not count as "activity"? So I have been active today :D . The normal food habits are back today, though.

Hope everyone's day is great.

RAken
07-23-2003, 06:45 PM
I glad to here everyone is doing good!

I have exercised everyday this week!:D However, my food hasn't been very good! Since I have been off, I am having a hard time staying on food routine. I go back to work in two weeks so I know that it will be easier then! I just have to keep exercising so I don't gain back what I have lost! I have good intentions but those darn cookies keep going in my mouth!

Simco- Welcome back! I too have found that since I have lost weight that I have a lot more energy and I am able to participate in activities that I would of never done last year!

Have a great Day!

TonyaS
07-23-2003, 07:50 PM
I am back on track today, so far, still need to excercise, but I think I am probably 2 hours behind most of you.. I am mountain time (2 hours behind EST). But so far food, check. Water, double check. :)

Terri in MO
07-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Okay, here's my excuse for not enough exercise last night. I didn't get away from work until almost 6 pm and then its a 40 min drive home. Then I had to sit with the dog so he'd eat and sit with the DH so he'd think he was important too. I headed down to the spinner while DH finished dinner - got about 3 minutes into it when I hear DH yelling from upstairs. He'd cut his toe and was bleeding on the bathroom floor. Got him all bandaged up and back on the spinner - got about 10 minutes into it again and DH yelled that dinner was ready. I gave up. I did walk the dog for our 1.5 mile walk last night as we had another day relief from the heat. But it will be back to 100 by Friday. Ahh, the joys of July!

Have a great day. Here's to a better exercise day! :D

brunissen
07-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Morning Ladies!

Yesterday was GREAT! I did damn near perfect on my food and water and did my 30 minutes of cardio at lunch!

Today I'm dragging butt....it's been HOT HOT HOT here, and I stayed out too late last night. So of course I'm trying to justify reasons why I shouldn't do my cardio at lunch (too hot, too tired, blah, blah, blah).

*yawn* Maybe a diet soda will give me a slight kick in the pants and get me going...

Have a great Thursday!

Terri in MO
07-25-2003, 07:39 AM
Good morning!

Checking in for yesterday. Food was good. Its good to be back to eating the veggies and lean meats instead of the fast food from earlier in the week. The scale is not budging. I am thinking that perhaps I am putting on muscle since I've been doing more on the spinner and using the 8 lb weights. As long as my clothes fit better, I'm okay with it. I'm sure it will drop soon.

I did get time on the spinner last night and then walked the dog four our regular route. I put a gel seat on my spinner so not quite so "numbing"!

Have a great day!

TonyaS
07-25-2003, 10:20 AM
checking in.. I was good 2 days in a row, until last night when we hit the Cold Stone Creamery. but still, today weighed in: 125. I am pretty much just fluctuating like crazy, but my clothes are feeling a tiny bit looser, so I think excercise is making me slightly smaller, even though my weight is so screwy.

keep up the good work ladies! :D

brunissen
07-25-2003, 12:59 PM
OMG - I LOVE Cold Stone Creamery...vanilla ice cream with raspberries....mmmmmmmm..... :hun:

I actually didn't eat enough yesterday - problems at work, then late for something after work meant no dinner. Other than that, I did my water and did my cardio at lunch.

Plan for today, eat enough, drink my water, do my cardio at lunch, then swim for an hour tonight.

Happy Friday!!

simcoe
07-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Terri, glad to hear about the gel seat. I have one on my regular and stationary bike and it makes a big difference. Maybe we should just affix it permanently to our butts so we could always be in the comfort zone:lol: ?

Speaking of bike riding, I have done my fair share over the last couple of days logging in about 4 hours outside with my son on "good pace" rides. Had fries with my dinner tonight for the first time in a long time and they were gooooood! Otherwise everything going well. Oh yeah, stepped on the scale yesterday and am down another pound to 180!! Yippee!! This was my goal to reach by the end of the month so I am really pleased with myself. Now let's keep it going!

Terri in MO
07-27-2003, 06:20 PM
I confess!

I have totally fallen off the wagon the last couple of days. Not sure why, just lazy I guess.

DH and I are both ready to get refocused tomorrow morning. We're craving just plain meat, salad and other veggies.

I've ordered a new Video Cycle so i can spin my way through the Alps and a Winsor Pilates ab DVD.

Okay, we only have four days left of this month's challenge. Let's make it count. On Thursday, let's post our successes for the month. Are you are up for a new challenge and thread for August 1st? If so, I'd like to keep this going.

:bravo: Simcoe! Down a pound and all that bike riding. Go girl!

Have a great Sunday evening!

simcoe
07-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Don't worry about it, Terri. You have the right attitude. Just refocus and don't beat yourself up about it.

I did well with the food this weekend, and exercised for an hour each day. One day was a bike ride, and today the DH and I had a good steady one hour walk. Trying to get him out of the house without the cigarettes. I keep trying to tell him that a walk followed by a smoke doesn't do any good.

I am all for starting a new thread on August 1st. These mini-goals are much better than long term ones. They are more attainable and you stay much more focused because it is the short term. I will do my final weigh in on August 1st and am hoping to see 179 or 78.

brunissen
07-28-2003, 10:20 AM
I can't believe the scale this morning. All last week I did well on my exercise, food, and water and the scale had been showing me happy things...until Sunday morning when my weight jumped up 5 pounds! Now I'm sure it's just water, and I was also sure that by this morning for my "official" weigh-in it would be gone, but NOOOOOOOOOOO! Only 2 pounds of it was gone, so essentially I'm at the same weight I was at last week! :bomb: GAH!

I'm too PO'd to be thinking about my plan for this week right now, but Terri, the official results post on Friday and an August challenge sound like great ideas to me!

psm

Terri in MO
07-29-2003, 07:20 AM
Bruissen - I hate it when the scale does that to me. I increase my water intake three days before WI to help ward off the weight shoot up. Keep working!

Yesterday was a great food day. Back on track and feeling better for it. I didn't do my spinner as planned. No real excuse. I did do my morning workout with the weights and did walk the dog later on so that's better than nothing. Tonight I will do 45 mins on the spinner. I will!

Have a great day!

brunissen
07-29-2003, 10:24 AM
well, I still hate the damn scale, but I've lost the urge to fling it out the window.

I did well yesterday on food and water, also did 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes with the evil trainer (who also had to listen to me whine about the damn scale).

Plan for today - more of the same because I'm going to get as close to my goal of 290 as is humanly possible in these last 3 days of this challenge...

simcoe
07-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Brunissen, I can relate and it is very frustrating. I was wondering for the longest time why the scale was not moving and then I started to go over what I was REALLY eating and doing. Guess what I found?? I was not really eating as little as I thought. I got back into the habit of weighing, measuring and writing everything down and I got a bit of a shock. Getting back to basics really helped me. Not that the scale does not do weird things every once in a while, like when you are retaining water. Just wanted to give you some "food" for thought ;) .

brunissen
07-29-2003, 05:37 PM
I figure it's just water weight, and once I calmed down just a bit, I realized my salt intake had been a little high (saturday especially)....Once I got the whining out of my system I was fine. Also the fact that I didn't use food to "comfort" me helped my mood also!

Not that the damn scale isn't just asking to be flung out the window.... :s:

Terri in MO
07-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Brunissen - I realized today that I have probably misspelled your name many times! :o :o

Good job with the exercise! Good luck ladies!!!

Food was great today. I worked late so I only had time for 20 minutes on the spinner and will walk the dog later on. I'm exhausted and need to do some studying (insurance class, blech!)

brunissen
07-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Terri - I don't even notice when my name gets misspelled! :lol: BTW - my real name is Pam, I just realized nobody knows that!

Did well yesterday - I figure at tomorrow's weigh in I'm going to be about 5 pounds heavier than I was aiming for, but whatcha gonna do....

Happy Hump Day!

simcoe
07-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Wow, what happened to the rest of our group??? Glad to see us fearless three are still hanging though. Good, bad or ugly, it is nice to see that we still report!

I am sitting around trying to figure out what to do today, want to get out and be active, but it is kind of warm. Maybe I will take the son to play minigolf...hmmmmm. By the time we really get going, the day will probably be done. It has been really tough since the aerobics went on hiatus for the summer, trying to keep moving, but to mix it up a bit. Oh well, time to get going for the day. Hope everyone else is well.

Genesis
07-30-2003, 02:15 PM
I'm back! My father passed away after a lingering death (I pulled his life support), so I've been dealing with that over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I took a hiatus from bootcamp to retain my sanity. I haven't jumped on the scales yet and I don't plan to for another week or so. I'm back on program today but I don't expect to make my goal for the month. But, I think I have the best excuse in the book, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'd love to participate in an August boot camp if there are plans to continue. :)

brunissen
07-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Genesis - I am so sorry about your father! I'd say the weight loss should definitely be put on the back burner for a bit, and when you are ready, we will be here (with a new August Challenge).

Take care!
psm

brunissen
07-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Wow, I just noticed that I didn't report for today...I could have sworn I did this morning....

Still hanging in there, I'm definitely not going to make by goal of 290, but I've accepted that and I'm not beating myself up about it.

see you all tomorrow for the final report for this challenge!

psm

simcoe
07-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Ditto for me Genesis....welcome back.

brunissen
07-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Well, I missed my goal by 3.8 pounds - this morning the scale showed me at 293.8. Considering the week from **** in Anaheim, I guess I'm pretty happy with that. BUT, no slacking during the August Challenge for this chick!!!

simcoe
07-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Way to go Brunissen. My final weigh in this morning.....178lbs. My goal was to be below 180 by the end of July, so I am pleased with myself. Getting truly refocused was the key for me. Are we going to be starting a new thread and then stating our goals for August?? My goal is going to be a lb a week, or down to 174.

Terri in MO
07-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi ladies!

Genesis - I'm so sorry about your dad. I lost my dad in December and its still sort of surreal. :grouphug: Join us back when you're feeling ready again. You'll be in my prayers.

Pam & Simcoe - :bravo: :dancer: Great job ladies! I'm glad that you've stuck in here with me and are willing to move on to August. I really believe the challenges have been the driver for my making progress.

New thread has been started. Join me there with your goals and plans for the new month. :sunny:

My own report:
Here's my goals:

1. Break past the 250 barrier. (I'm at 255 today) I only made it to 253 but its better than going up.
2. Improve my cardio endurance to 45 minutes on the bike/airdyne/spinner or doing the 3 mile WATP (this is in addition to the 1.5 mile dog walk as I consider it his exercise)This I achieved. I used to think it was great to hang in there on the spinner for 15 minutes; now I'm able to do 45 and still have enough to walk. I'll consider this my bigger success.

Here's my strategy:
1. WW with a South Beach twist. still with this plan but on phase 2. We got lax a few days but we were still able to maintain the last part of the month.
2. Journal faithfully and measure out portions for accuracy. I journalled most of the time but definitely was lazy about checking the portions.
3. Plan each weeks menu and food lists. Okay, this was probably our downfall into lazyland. We planned some but could have done better.
4. Avoid the salty peanuts. peanuts are gone!