Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat December 9 - December 15

BillBlueEyes
12-09-2013, 07:14 AM
This is easy for me; I despise housework. The only good part about it is that I despise it all equally - so I'm just as willing to scrub the toilets as dust the lampshades.

That said, when we had kids and had one of those marital discussions, I accepted the share that "we" allocated to me. This didn't last long. Much to no one's surprise, I found myself willing to pay a person to do cleaning once every two weeks. This arrangement over some 30 years has probably saved the marriage.

We face the cold, snow that our Midwestern friends have survived. Not a happy thought.

Mudpie
12-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Bill I too found it so much easier and less combatative to pay someone to clean the house every 2 weeks.

Our dinner party went well - except that my cousin's wife can't eat beans. She had a lot of chips ans salsa, bread and butter, and fruit. Otherwise people seemed to have a good time.

I figured something out last night too. If I am the host, running around doing stuff, I don't eat much of the appetizers or coffee. I had a piece of cake and one glass of wine (later while we were doing the dishes) to calm down but other than that was pretty much OP. I will have to remember this when sitting around as a guest. Boredom/shyness does not equal overeating when I am invited out.

Dagmar :D

paperclippy
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Bill, good luck with the snow! It wasn't bad here, only about 4 inches or so. We took the girls outside long enough to put their hands in the snow and watch them make funny faces. :lol:

Dagmar, glad the dinner party went well! I take it your DH got his act together to make your dips? ;)

I am again annoyed at my MIL. Not sure how much if it is the usual annoyances vs. how much is impending TOM (which came back with a vengeance last month, making me realize how nice it was to not have for over a year). I asked my DH to talk with her about the language she uses to describe her visits with the girls, which makes me feel like she is constantly judging me. She often says things like, "Will Jessica allow us to see the girls this weekend?" and "Thank you for letting us come see them." Like as if I'm prohibiting her from seeing them enough. She's here three days a week! That's far more than enough in my book. Then she asked DH if they should come over on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. He said Friday or Sunday would be fine. Then she replied back and said, "Okay, we'll see you Friday AND Sunday." :mad: Other minor annoyances are things like how she feels like she has to get me a gift if she's getting other people gifts, even though she is clueless about what I like/want, so when they came over with Hanukkah presents for the girls and DH she brought me two pairs of socks. Which is fine, except that they're size large and I'm only 5'4" with proportionally small feet, so I'm pretty sure that she had bought them for herself and just had them laying around (she is 5'10"). Also we have to pretty much boot them out the door whenever they come over. You would think the fact that we're getting the girls ready for their nap would be a hint if they've already been at our house for two hours, but no, I had to tell them, "Why don't you get your stuff together, we have to put the girls down now." Then also she insists on buying random used equipment from garage sales and jerryrigging it back together to make it functional, which is totally unsafe for babies and kind of ridiculous because she has a lot of cash to spare so there's no reason for her to buy cheap old things. To combat this I put together an amazon wish list with equipment we actually need and want and said, "If you want to buy stuff for the girls, please buy something from this list and do not buy used due to safety concerns." (Regarding the cash to spare, this is a woman who needed a new stove so went to the store and said, "What's the most expensive stove you sell?" Not even joking, that's exactly what she did.)

Sigh. I know that they want to see their grandkids, but I really need them to be out of my hair during the few hours a week I get to be home with my babies. I like my in-laws but I liked them a lot better when I saw them once or twice a month. I don't even like seeing my OWN parents multiple times a week. I certainly never saw my grandparents more than once a week when I was a kid, if even that often.

Sorry for the ranting! I am just looking forward to my holiday vacation. I'm taking two weeks off work so I can hang around at home and my mom will be in town too, plus my sister and SIL are coming into town for a couple days.

silverbirch
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Very glad it went well, Dagmar.

Housework - we adults share it equally. That's just how it is. We also read a lot and often don't notice dust. It's lucky we both have the same threshold, I suppose. It might be nice to have somebody to clean for us but it's not in our stars at present.

silverbirch
12-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Rant on, Jessica, as much as you like. And then rant more and more. We understand. :hug:

Megan1982
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Morning all,

My choral concerts went very well over the weekend. Our Saturday concert was in the next town over. My book club had been planning dinner over there at a restaurant we love already, so the girls came to see the concert first and then we hung out. I missed them over the last few months of play rehearsals! I have always enjoyed singing, but at the same time am sort of happy it's over so I can spend more time holiday shopping online in the evenings since I've pretty much been ignoring the impending holiday. That's what I do, lol, I get involved in something and enjoy it but am happy to have a bit more free time when it's over. I have fairly good ideas what to buy folks but need to pick out specific items. My sister and BIL both want clothes but I hate to order things online bc I don't get a good sense of fabrics that way. I might try to squeeze in a trip to the city on Sunday.

Allison or anyone else who golfs, my mom mentioned that my dad has been golfing more often (has done it on and off his whole life, now his work has a membership to a club and their newly purchased retirement home is by a course) so I wonder if you have any golf-oriented suggestions for gifts for him. He has a set of clubs, a bag and a wheelie cart thing for it, and is set in his clothing ways so a golf outfit wouldn't be a good idea. Are there any nice golfing accessories or items that complement the basic stuff?

We have a pretty clear division of labor in our house, but I'm good with it most of the time as long as BF helps w dishes sometimes. He does trash, yard, cars, fix-it and all "outside" stuff and I do more of the inside cleaning and cooking. We even have our doggie division of labor. I take care of long exercise walks and morning outings, he is in charge of tug of warring and nighttime outings.

Jessica, sorry about your MIL. Before you had the girls, how was your relationship? My mom would also buy lots of garage sale stuff for my nieces but after many adamant refusals from my sister learned what was ok and what wasn't. My sis just had to be consistently firm for a year or two and got the message across. (Of course that was my sis to her own mother, so slightly different situation.) GL and rant anytime. ;) When does your vacation start?

Dagmar, I'm glad your dinner party went so well. It's nice to play hostess sometimes. :) I find that at others parties offering the host a helping hand can keep me out of the food and is usually a welcome help for them, too. Even going to the kitchen and doing a few dishes is really appreciated.

Bill, and everyone else up there, stay warm! :brr:

Have a good week all. :)

Shannon in ATL
12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
:hug: Jessica. That is frustrating. Too much of anything is bad, even when it is a good thing. I hope you get some distance during your vacation.

I would love to pay someone to clean my house. Seriously. But then I'd have to clean before they got there, because I can't let them see xyz whatever I had messed up. LOL

Megan - I know nothing about golf, but my brother plays. If Allison doesn't have a suggestion I'll ask him about it.

Dagmar - glad the party went well. :)

traveling michele
12-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Dagmar-- glad it went well. Yes, as the hostess you are often too busy to sit and eat.

Jessica-- wow! That is too much in the visiting department. Hmmm... can you and dh discuss a schedule for them to visit so they don't visit so often? I'm sure the more they visit, the more you're irritated and it's a vicious cycle. And used gifts?! I wouldn't dare do that for my grandkids (when I have some).

We just recently started having the house cleaned every 2 weeks. Dh is grumbling about the cost and how he doesn't think they do a great job-- I'm just thrilled that someone is cleaning the house!

Dh comes home Sunday and will be home the rest of the year. I spent my last weekend alone for awhile. I spent it exercising-- probably too much as my back is grouchy after having been much better-- cooking, shopping, etc. We had family portraits done over Thanksgiving (first time in many, many years) so I (and dh remotely) had to choose the photos to order. That was challenging!

Still freezing cold here (to me anyway). Supposed to warm up some later in the week.

Hi to everyone else!!!

gardenerjoy
12-09-2013, 11:50 AM
We also have a cleaning crew every two weeks. Without it, we quickly live in squalor. Neither of us claims that we hate housework, it's just we both always find something better to do.

gardenerjoy
12-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I forgot to report back on my mail order clothes experiment. I ordered a number of things and have a higher than 50% failure rate, but I found some things that really worked and a couple of more that I'm going to try at a different size. So, good enough to consider successful.

My favorite was a skirt and top in the same fabric. They look like a dress worn together, but (and here's the cool part) the top is a size 10 and the bottom is size 14. Best-fitting dress I've ever had!

silverbirch
12-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Joy, the dress sounds good! That's the kind of thing I should think about doing as my top and bottom halves are quite different sizes. Did you try a number of mail order places or just one?

Arctic Mama
12-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Jessica - I'm sorry you're having MIL issues, but I'm hoping you have a blast with your own family in town :)

Megan - yay on the concerts going smoothly!

Michele - I detest picking photos, even as I like having them. It is such a headache. I hope they turned out beautifully for you, though.

Joy - mail ordering clothing is tricky. I have to do it with my bras, due to my size, and tend to order a lot of things like tops and skirts as well. My method involves having favorite brands and zeroing in on my size in them. Then the shopping becomes much, much easier in future orders. I'm a Lands End Medium/10 in skirts/10-12 in pants, depending on the cut. My favorite bra company, Ewa Michalak, has me at a 34H (my normal size in this country is a 32I).

By having favorite retailers and having done the returning-clothes dance a few times, I can now order almost anything I think is cute from the above retailers and have it fit great. There's a few exceptions, by and large, but it's made ordering clothes easier. Everything else I find easier to either have tailored for me or buy locally.

Most of my daily update is below on my blog. But my task for today is shuttling the kids around to a meeting (it's only the baby I'm worried about, the older three will do fine), my piano lesson, lunch quickly and then the makeup piano lessons for the two older girls. Their lessons on Thursday were cancelled by me, since the roads were awful with frozen ground and a layer of ice on top of them. But our teacher is patient and was very sweet to fit us in today while we are all in town (it is a 45 minute drive to her place). So now all three of is have piano today, but I have to try and juggle lunch in the car and naps for my infant and toddler in the midst of this. I'm enlisting my husband to babysit for my piano lesson and lunch, then dropping him back at work, as I think this is the only way to get four hours of errands done with four kids (the oldest of whom is only 6 years old, eek!).

So that's my day - fun and stress, but hopefully I'll come out the other side with sanity intact.

Arctic Mama
12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Oh, and no cleaning crew for me. Before we married my husband and I agreed I'd stay at home and manage it. He is a great help and does outside jobs, home repair, and brings our diaper pails down for washing (good man!), and I do the cleaning, scheduling, cooking, homeschooling, organizing, etc. We have a great labor breakdown, and my help is in the form of teaching and training the children in helping around the house, as well as cultivating a skill for gracefully overlooking dust and some soap scum here and there, because it's just too much to manage a spotless house that we live in 24/7. I'd live to pay a mommy's helper or house cleaner, but it's not doable for us.

Oh well :)

krampus
12-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Hi Maintainers!

Great weekend for the most part. Helped parents trim the tree (i.e. carried heavy pieces of it down the stairs for my mom), got some Christmas shopping done, made some extra $ yesterday selling cookies for a bakery in town (paid in cash, yesssss), and watched "Home Alone" with BF in the evening - it's shocking how dated that movie seems in 2013 but I guess it is 23 years old... O_O

I was chatting on FB with a friend who I've felt tension with for years now - we just don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything besides food/liking to eat food. He's really corporate career-oriented and materialistic, and we do not share common definitions of happiness and success. I mentioned to him how I worked at the event yesterday and he said he felt sorry for me and suggested I make more money. Yeah thanks for that. I took it as an insult and was really seethingly angry about it, but now I realize on his planet he thinks that's being helpful. Still annoyed though. I will continue to surround myself with more like-minded people.

Weight-wise, I'm carrying around a couple holiday pounds and can't be bothered to care too much. Exercise is still consistent and food is good though I need to be mindful of protein intake and probably would feel better if I had fewer cookies on an average day.

Cleaning-wise, my roommate and I still live like bachelors. The cats keep the sink/dishes situation spotless (they'll lick dirty dishes) but also provide challenges as far as fur, stray bits of cardboard from their PetFusion Scratcher Lounge, and wreaking havoc on the Christmas tree.

So far the only Christmas card I've gotten has been from my cousin and her daughter in Fairbanks :)

CherryPie99
12-09-2013, 03:07 PM
When DH and I moved in together my conditions were that I never would do dishes and never would clean toilets. Everything else was up for negotiation!!

I had a housecleaner come in for the first time last spring. It was glorious, but I am just wayyyyyyyy too cheap to pay for it on a regular basis. I am trying to get better about doing a little bit frequently rather then waiting until a room is an utter disaster and then cleaning like mad for hours.

I have no idea what's going on with me today. I have had tremendous anxiety all morning - like near panic attack mode - thinking of all I have to do before Xmas. It's ridiculous because I know I have plenty of time, but I'm seriously driving myself nuts. I even got up in the middle of the night last night to check on how much quinoa we have for a side dish I am making - how fricking crazy is that??

Jen

Shannon in ATL
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm having flaming hot cheetos for lunch. It is that kind of day.

traveling michele
12-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I have no idea what's going on with me today. I have had tremendous anxiety all morning - like near panic attack mode - thinking of all I have to do before Xmas. It's ridiculous because I know I have plenty of time, but I'm seriously driving myself nuts. I even got up in the middle of the night last night to check on how much quinoa we have for a side dish I am making - how fricking crazy is that??

Jen

Oh no, Jen! I think it's very common this time of year. I was just doing it myself when I realized I haven't even thought of what I'm getting for my friend's kids. I was about to panic until I realized dh will be going there (Houston) so he can bring the gifts rather than me shipping them. Now to figure out the gifts!!

Shannon in ATL
12-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I think I'm going to regret the flaming hot cheetos. Yuck.

Mudpie
12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I think I'm going to regret the flaming hot cheetos. Yuck.

I'm trying to picture these but can't quite get there - how does one "prepare" :lol: flaming hot Cheetohs Shannon?

Dagmar :shrug:

alinnell
12-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Checking in late today. I'm sick. I woke up at 1:11 AM with a raging headache--it felt as it someone had put a vice on my head and tightened it. Two hours later I finally decided it wasn't going away on it's own so I took Advil and then my stomach started complaining from that. At 4:30 I decided to take the day off of work and I've spent all but maybe 45 minutes in bed either reading or sleeping. DH is bringing home some Tylenol sinus and I hope it helps. I know I don't have a sinus infection--just sinusitis at this point.

Megan~golfers always need balls and tees. And a nice gift would be a range finder if he doesn't have one already (they measure the distance from where ever you are to the hole).

Glad your party went well Dagmar.

Sorry you're having one of those days, Shannon.

I must go sit now. Too much...

Mudpie
12-10-2013, 06:32 AM
The dinner party food aftermath hit last night. DH and I both come from backgrounds where money was tight and food was never wasted or thrown away. We had much healthier dips left over thanks to DH but there were chips and part of a cake and part of a box of not very good " belgian chocolate" cookies left over. There was nothing on TV last night yet we still sat around eating all of this stuff and watching "Dr. No" (neither of us are Bond fans).

I threw away whatever was left this morning, as well as some stale bread and mushy tomatoes. I will have to take it all outside to the garbage shed before DH finds out. He will probably be angry (he insisted on paying for half of the "party" food) but if he physically feels even partially as bad as I do this morning he will realize I made the right decision.

And there's also a lot of opened booze - in Canada we can return anything with an unopened cork. I'm better at staying away from the booze than from the food. I don't know how DH will do with the booze.

We are already also bickering about how Christmas week will be spent. I hate it when DH demands decisions from me when I'm tired. I thought I answered specifically and clearly to his email but he clearly wants a different answer.

I don't want to spend every minute with him during the holidays - I still have stuff to do with for the house and also for my business and I want to go do some fun stuff too that he doesn't like.

ARRRGH! Gonna be a looong day today and entirely my own fault for being stupid last night. But I will carry on and move forward. No party food left and DH will have to be satisfied with my holiday answer unless he can specifically tell me what it is he wants from me.

Dagmar :barf:

Megan1982
12-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Morning all,

Re holiday stress: I also feel at some point each year too much stress about the holidays, but haven't hit it yet this year. For me the stress comes from shopping for gifts and traveling. I try to remind myself that once I get my gifts bought every year I am able to enjoy the time with my family, which is really what it's about for me. My sister hosts, but we all pitch in to cook and help shop, clean up after meals, play with the kids, etc. to alleviate hosting duties and really none of us are so superficial as to focus that much on gifts.

Jen and Michele, hang in there. I guess the point of my story is that you're not alone, but when I start getting worked up it's easier to focus on what the holidays are truly about. It's so cheesy but we just sang a Charlie Brown Christmas medley and one line says "Oh that we could always see such spirit through the year." Whether we are religious or not I think it's a time to appreciate time with family and friends and if you are religious, celebrate that as well.

Jen, do you have anxiety and/or panic attacks about other things or is this new?

Even though I haven't hit my stressed point, typing that made me feel a little better about my lack of shopping. I am a little irked that the things I bought on Cyber Monday from Jo Ann fabrics to finish my nieces gifts still haven't shipped out yet over a week later.

Dagmar, if you can return the alcohol and are unsure how you & DH will handle having it, why not just go ahead and return it, or most of it. Save 1 bottle for Christmas and tell DH you wanted to recoup the cost where you could. Junk food makes me feel gross, too, but I forget about that sometimes when it's going in.

Allison, sorry you are sick. Rest and feel better. Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to ask my mom if he has a range finder.

I think flaming hot is the flavor name of cheetos, not the preparation method. Shannon, do you want to split an avocado with me?

Instead of shopping online last night, I walked the dog and then met friends for pizza and pool. There are no tourists this time of year and we had the place almost to ourselves. The place is only a mile from our house. BF and I need to remember it's there in the winter when we're bored! We don't always have to eat pizza while we're there. :angel:

ICUwishing
12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Jen, I am in the same boat! I'm telecommuting today because I can run multiple computers, and when macros are crunching (like now), I can multi-task nonwork stuff (3FC, dishwasher, laundry, Xmas cards, online ordering of gifts, vacuum tree needles, grab one box of decorations, etc). I've had to remind myself to take a lot of deep breaths. I feel that pressure too. I traditionally have two wig-out days in December. :)

dagmar - :hug: Sounds like you threw a great party. I fully support your post-party strategy of "just get it OUT!!!" I feel like I'm doing a jigsaw puzzle with the time slots for the holiday. Funny how two weeks can disappear just like that - grrr!

On housekeepers, I am also in the every-two-weeks group. My grandma always used to say, "If the best thing they can say at your eulogy is "she kept a really clean house" ..." I would give up my internet before I give up the housekeepers.

Shannon - It happens. Been there. :shrug: I find it tends to be a self-limiting occurrence :barf:

Megan - good post. I have not mastered the holiday spirit or "reason for the season' mentality. Spiked eggnog does seem to help. :p

silverbirch
12-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I traditionally have two wig-out days in December. :)

:bravo: Great to hear about everyone's family and cultural traditions. :hug:

CherryPie99
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Jen, do you have anxiety and/or panic attacks about other things or is this new?

I've always been a little OCD and a little prone to anxiety. But this feeling of panic - for no reason really - is new. Last night I hit the elliptical hard trying to work off some of the energy. It seemed to work, but then I woke up at midnight to pee and again couldn't get back to sleep with my mind racing.

Hopefully this will pass and soon!!

Dagmar - I have a HUGE hangup about wasting food. We have an extra freezer and I often put leftovers - including sweets - in there. I think it's crazy but there is a - safety? - having them in there, but no urgency to eat them because they aren't going to spoil....

At least I know I'm not the only one struggling with holiday madness. I am hoping that I can get past this and, like you said, Megan, enjoy this season for what is IS AND SHOULD be about!!

Jen

gardenerjoy
12-10-2013, 11:01 AM
I did nearly all of my Christmas shopping and wrapping in an hour yesterday. We have a new independently owned bookstore in town. I wanted to support it. They are offering a gift basket service -- choose three books per giftee and they'll put it in a festive package. I got four of them. They're even going to ship one for me. The lady kept apologizing for being so slow. I said, "Honey, this is all my Christmas shopping and I just did it in an hour. It doesn't feel at all slow to me."

Today, I'm challenging myself to get our Christmas newsletter completed and ready to go.

Hope you're feeling better soon, allinell!

Shannon in ATL
12-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm trying to picture these but can't quite get there - how does one "prepare" :lol: flaming hot Cheetohs Shannon?

Dagmar :shrug:

Oh, there was no preparation involved. It is the flavor name. These are specifically 'Flaming Hot with Lime!' Cheetos. Tear a bag, pour onto a plate. Crunch. Repeat. LOL And let me tell you, a food that leaves dark red food dye on my thumb and fingers for the next 24 hours should probably not ever be consumed.

traveling michele
12-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I had a little bit of a meltdown myself last night. Meltdown might be too strong of a word. I just had a really hard day at work and I was mentally and physically exhausted. I had planned on going to body pump and then bikram yoga (which I've never done before). My back was twingy so I thought I'd just do bikram. Then I decided to do NOTHING. So unlike me. I thought that I better get something accomplished if I didn't work out and then I sat on the couch. Ugh. Eventually I made my volunteer gifts but I didn't do the other things I thought I'd do. Just watched another Breaking Bad. My weight was back up today. Sigh. Hopefully I'll be in a better frame of mind today. It is still so cold here which I hate.

Allison-- hope you feel better.

Dagmar-- I hate when you do so well at the event and then get derailed later. Good for you for throwing it all out now. What's done is done.

Shannon in ATL
12-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Dagmar - I'm sorry that your night got so tense last night, too. Throw away what you can, return what you can, don't let DH drag you down.

Jen -I've been wound up and have felt almost manic the last couple of weeks, too. I hope it settles down for you.

Joy - I love bookstores!

Megan - I'm waiting on a few items to ship that are frustrating me, too.

Michele - will DH be gone most of this month?

I'm tired and worn today. It has been raining forever, we had DSS the last two nights and I didn't sleep well either night and got up early. I do have soup in the slow cooker, so that will be good. I'm hopeful that it won't rain this afternoon so I can actually run at the park.I need some outside.

traveling michele
12-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Michele - will DH be gone most of this month?

Yes and no. He's coming back Sunday and I was thinking that was it for the year. Then I remembered he's going to Houston next Thursday to see his folks, brother and family, and pick up dd to bring back here for Christmas.

I'm feeling very nauseous for some reason. Yesterday I was super cold so I dressed more warmly. I'm wondering if I overdid it and I'm overheating! Yuck!

alinnell
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Although I had a difficult time falling asleep last night (spending the day in bed probably caused that!), I did finally get to sleep and slept soundly despite being "trapped" by the orange cat who curled up behind my knees. I feel a lot better today but obviously not 100% yet.

Three hours into the work day and I'm caught up for the most part. I really thought it'd take longer but then I usually worry about things like that and allow my mind to make things worse than they are.

I remembered that I forgot to get gifts for my nieces so I'll have to stop at the store sometime this week for that. No worries if anything is late--sometimes my kids' presents come mid January from my SIL who is always less than punctual.

I take delight in throwing away something I don't want. It was a little harder with some of the Thanksgiving leftovers but I did manage to do it. Now it is a cake that must be chucked. One of our employees gave it to me and DH for Christmas. A tidy, square, fondant covered 4-layer cake. It had a pretty ribbon on it and it made a pretty present, but it's sickly sweet and the top layers were rather dry and the low layers a tad bit soggy. I had half a slice (minus the frosting that was so sweet it made my stomach hurt) and threw the rest of mine away. I suppose I can't throw it out just yet as DH declared it yummy.

Arctic Mama
12-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Dagmar - I have issues with wasting food, too, but not alcohol. My husband, on the other hand, will toss food but calls dumping booze the real definition of 'alcohol abuse'!

Feel better, Allison! That sounds miserable.

Thanksgiving/Christmas stress - Hm. I manage to avoid a lot of that, actually. I do Christmas with the inlaw's and my kids, we have some church stuff, but I've gotten better and better and not overcommitting and being willing to say 'no' when I think I might be pushing it. My world is small, thankfully, so many of the issues with holiday parties and such are no issue at all, because the bulk of our dearest friends are also busy with large families as well, and want to party about as much as we do (ie: not at all.).

It helps that our definition of a party involves a potluck, chatting, and craft time, instead of shiny dresses and alcohol. But truly, the best practice I've had to adopt is the art of saying no and minimizing the guilt relating to it ;)

Arctic Mama
12-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Michele - I'm sorry to hear about the meltdown! Some days are just like that.

I'm off to a good start today. We survived our extremely busy day yesterday, thankfully, but it lead to a piece of fruitcake (!!!) in the afternoon, in the middle of it, and some salami later in the evening. Nothing awful and I was still within my carb limit for the day, but I am a little annoyed I ate off plan and that's out of character for me. Today, however, is going just fine and I'm on track this morning, if running a little late due to oversleeping my original target by half an hour.

Boos in this house - colds! We've had colds that have lingered for several weeks and ramped up this past week. As for me, I'm tired of sneezing and nose blowing. Way, way over it.

Mudpie
12-10-2013, 06:14 PM
I think I will do some "window shopping" on the net tonite, instead of sitting down at the TV after dinner. My Christmas shopping is done so this will just be looking at pretty things. Anthropologie is really good for that. I've had to send back everything I've ever bought from them but they have such pretty, impractical, non-functional stuff. And the shoes are amazing - not things you could wear outside or clean or fix or anything but little sculptures for the feet.

http://images.anthropologie.com/is/image/Anthropologie/29410164_004_b?$product410x615$

See what I mean? These are called "fawn heels" - note the pretty little deer ears. :D

Or these - as "party boots"

http://images.anthropologie.com/is/image/Anthropologie/30862700_059_b?$product410x615$

Dagmar :dizzy:

Mudpie
12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Forgot to mention we saw this last week. It's a tremendous film and Redford was totally up for the challenge of a role with only him on screen and with only 8 words of dialogue to say. I hope enough people see this to realize just what acting chops he has developed over the years. Riveting!

And i was quite amused to listen to all the people around me gradually shutting up as they became involved in the film. There are a lot of people out there who apparently feel uncomfortable without any "chatter" going on.

Dagmar :D

gardenerjoy
12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
I didn't finish my Christmas newsletter yesterday, really didn't start. I got all caught up in reviewing the year. That will be helpful when I get to planning 2014, but wasn't a fast path to getting the newsletter done. It won't happen today, either. Maybe tomorrow.

alinnell
12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
All is Lost is on the top of our watch list but I'm not sure if we'll be lucky enough to see it before it is out of the theaters here.

I'm feeling a bit better although coughing hard enough to have some severe sternum pain.

Nothing much else going on here. Hope everyone is doing well.

saef
12-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I know why I get stressed out around the holidays.

It's because of The Effort of Being Non-Fat, which I have turned into the equivalent to a part-time job that happens after hours from my full-time job: The hours in the gym, the food shopping & preparation.

My life is manageable, but just barely. So if anything gets added to the schedule -- holidays, a streak of bad weather, my mother visiting for a full week -- the whole structure seems in danger of toppling and that scares me witless. I'm terrified that I'm not up to meeting all of these demands & that something is going to slip.

I was thinking today that I don't actually connect Christmas with any pleasure whatsoever.

traveling michele
12-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Saef-- you are my (slightly dysfunctional) twin for sure. I do like Christmas but everything else surrounding the holidays-- not so much!

I'm feeling down and trying to analyze why. I'm thinking a lot about my daughters and their weight issues and wondering if my trying to set a good example has actually backfired-- making them not want to be so over the top about diet and exercise as they see it negatively. My one daughter is very overweight (though she eats fairly healthy overall) and my younger one is slightly overweight but gaining and she eats junk. Neither work out. Sigh.....

I always think I'll be able to shave off a few pounds when dh is gone but it doesn't seem to happen no matter how good I am. I started the year at 130 and was bound and determined to get under my redline (125) but I've maybe seen it briefly once or twice all year. Not sure what else I can do unless I want to severely restrict my calories as I eat super healthy, rarely indulge, exercise almost daily.... so frustrating.... sometimes I think I should just go back to being heavy but I was so unhappy then and I was gaining and gaining and gaining. Just thinking aloud.... sorry to be a downer!

Mudpie
12-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Christmas, for me, is mostly about the tree. I love decorating it and having carols blaring (DH hates that part) while doing so. Then I get to come home every day and plug in the lights and there's this magical thing in my home.

My front porch this year is pretty nice too. DH said the decorating made the house look "inviting". No one else on the street has lights up - yet. I hope DH and I get to do our walk through the neighbourhood to look at all the lights - it's something we both enjoy.

I can do without most of the rest of it. I enjoy giving DH and all the pets (all my clients' pets get gifts) gifts but I could easily lose the rest of the holiday stuff.

And Now I have to go out into the cold and do a dinner walk - part of the holidays I could do without.

Dagmar :brr:

ICUwishing
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Ah, "the holidays". Not my favorite time of the year for a whole bunch of reasons. I do my level best to hide it from everyone around me because it's pretty clear that they don't share my outlook. :D There is always a moment, usually a few days before Christmas, where I get some clarity and have time to take some deep breaths and enjoy the tree/music/eggnog and if I'm lucky, the fireplace.

I'm in scramble mode this week. I be lurkin'. :wave:

neurodoc
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Saef, if you need validation for your feeling that weight maintenance is a time-suck, you will enjoy this essay: http://justmaintaining.com/2010/09/30/weight-loss-maintenance-the-job-description/. FWIW, when I found this blog about a year and a half ago, I was amazed at how insightful and validating it was. To this day, I have found little on the web that helped my efforts at maintenance as much as this woman (who, regrettably, went back to school and so quit writing her blog; I often wonder what has happened to her).

Dagmar, now that I have a dog, and live just a few hours drive south of Toronto, I too resent the cold. And it has been d*mn cold here the last few days (14F, which is like -12C today, and that's the straight temp, not counting any "wind chill" nonsense). Guess there is a downside to animal love :>(

Mudpie
12-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Dagmar, now that I have a dog, and live just a few hours drive south of Toronto, I too resent the cold. And it has been d*mn cold here the last few days (14F, which is like -12C today, and that's the straight temp, not counting any "wind chill" nonsense). Guess there is a downside to animal love :>(

I'm out there from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a break at around 9:30 a.m. I am now dressing in 4 layers on top and 3 on the bottom. It seems I feel the cold more as I get older. :(

I have ordered the "Baxter State parka" and am looking forward to its arrival. That should reduce me to 2 layers on top and give me a nice big furry hood too!

Ah the glamour of my "work clothes" - DH calls me his "little sherpa" :rofl:.

Megan1982
12-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I enjoy most holiday traditions - lights, caroling, the tree, and seeing my family most of all. It's the commercialism that drives me crazy, and yes, the disruption to my routine and finding the time to shop, craft, send cards, and otherwise prepare, even though my routine is not as strict as it once was. I try to get through it by focusing on the best part, the family part, and the second best is in finding BF a gift he loves, filling his stocking, and putting up the tree and lights so he can enjoy them. Even though it's not really about the gifts, he doesn't have happy memories of the holidays and rarely gets gifts from his family.

I'm still working on gifting. I ordered stocking stuffers for BF last night, but I need to order more tonight for everyone else. A friend is having a Christmas party tonight but it's a huge event at her bar, and I think I'll skip it. I'd rather wog the dog and call my sis and mom to try and ferret out ideas. I have 3+ more holiday parties to attend in the next week so I don't feel I'm missing out.

I have to confess I've eaten some cookies and too much sugar over the last few days. :o Last night I made myself a lovely salad with greens, half an avocado, a mandarin orange, and homemade honey mustard that I was actually excited about, and I made one for lunch today as well. I'm hoping my deep belief in avocado juju will boost my nonexistent willpower and keep me away from more sweets.

Dagmar, how about some feet and hand warmers? They work well and when you buy them in bulk you get a discount. Check discount sites like Sierra Trading Post. I'd think at least the feet or toe warmers could be enjoyed all day, not sure if hands would be useful for you. Enjoy your new parka. :brr: (Warmers make good stocking stuffers, too.)

Michele, you are setting a good example and are a great mother. You can't make anyone want to lose weight or get healthier. I know it's hard to focus on, but though your weight might not be exactly where you want it, you ARE maintaining a huge loss - at 5 lb above your desired weight. You've come a long way. Sorry you feel so down. I hope today is a little happier. :hug:

Allison, how are you feeling today?

gardenerjoy
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
We're doing Christmas-lite this year. No decorations at home, but we've been doing some holiday things out and about. I'll miss having a tree in the house at some point in the season (I know from experience), but just couldn't make it happen this year.

traveling_michele: detected a bit of all-or-nothing thinking in your last paragraph. To me, it reads that you must weigh 125 or "go back to being heavy." There's a huge range in between those things -- 130 being one number that you could declare yourself satisfied with and call it done.

alinnell
12-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I've had three good night's sleep and although it is not gone, the cold seems to be losing it's grip. I'm not coughing as much but still feel "clogged" up in my head and lungs. I feel a lot better though.

I have just two holiday parties this year. One on Saturday (Wine Women dinner) and one next Friday at an architect's house. We build a lot of her homes. It should be an interesting one,

Last night a neighbor came to ask us to dog sit for a couple of days. His partner's parents are taking them on a two week cruise to Hawaii and they leave a couple days before his sister can arrive to house sit. Of course we said yes. That's what neighbors are for (although we'll probably leave it up to DS to do it for us as he'll be home and he's done it before with their previous dogs).

Just three more Christmas presents to buy. I searched on line for one yesterday and came up empty so I guess I'll have to physically shop this weekend which will be interesting as we're golfing both days. I haven't been to the grocery store for two weeks and I really need to go there as well (besides the gift cards for the other two presents will be purchased there).

That cake we got the other day is still sitting on the counter and DH has not requested any more of it. I bet the next slice he takes will be very dry and I hope he'll say to throw it out.

traveling michele
12-12-2013, 11:40 AM
traveling_michele: detected a bit of all-or-nothing thinking in your last paragraph. To me, it reads that you must weigh 125 or "go back to being heavy." There's a huge range in between those things -- 130 being one number that you could declare yourself satisfied with and call it done.

I know I wasn't thinking clearly or rationally. The issue is that I maintained under 120 for several years. I was borderline too thin so I allowed the weight to creep up as long as it stayed under 125. The problem is that I've continued to creep despite my best efforts and it is so hard to continue the efforts when I see weight creep. I get resentful sometimes this time of year when the staff break room is FULL of goodies every single day (I work in a large school and parents are very generous). I watch everyone (or so it seems)-- large or small take from the table with nary a thought. I never ever ever take anything (unless it's fruit).

Thanks for the smack upside the head though.

traveling michele
12-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Michele, you are setting a good example and are a great mother. You can't make anyone want to lose weight or get healthier. I know it's hard to focus on, but though your weight might not be exactly where you want it, you ARE maintaining a huge loss - at 5 lb above your desired weight. You've come a long way. Sorry you feel so down. I hope today is a little happier. :hug:

Thank you for your kind thoughts Megan. I'm just feeling a little iffy these days. I think a large part is loneliness. I need to force myself to do more social things when dh is gone so much.

Megan1982
12-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I get resentful sometimes this time of year when the staff break room is FULL of goodies every single day (I work in a large school and parents are very generous). I watch everyone (or so it seems)-- large or small take from the table with nary a thought. I never ever ever take anything (unless it's fruit).

My parents are both teachers and I can so relate to that, Michele. At their previous school where they taught for 20 years many faculty members had their traditional food they gave to everyone each year. One teacher gave her hm fudge, another cheesecake, etc etc (trying not to list too much bc I'm trying not to go into food porn territory, lol). My mom would set up an extra table to hold it all that was on the path between the kitchen and the rest of the house. I called it "the fat table" and that was before I lost the weight. In addition we had to make our own traditional recipes. I was told I was a killjoy one year when I suggested we "just" make a single batch of our sugar cookies. It takes a huge amount of willpower to resist such a huge number of treats that are in your face constantly.

Our society associates food with caring. It's also easy to do to show you care. Not everyone can make cute Etsy-worthy crafts to give but most people can make a batch of cookies. I still struggle to dissociate the two myself, even though I am continually tempted and frustrated by the fat tables and break rooms of the world.

traveling michele
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes, Megan-- so true... why do we associate food with caring? And celebrations with food? And mourning with food? And everything with food?

I had one of those internal arguments with myself yesterday. There is a huge box of multi-grain crackers in the break room now. One of the teachers (older than me but with an incredible body) was taking some and telling me how healthy they were. I then spent an inordinate amount of time studying the box trying to find nutritional facts. There were none. I left them.

I've been thinking about the blog that Andrea posted about maintainers. I'm thinking I'm not THAT bad. Then I'm thinking that must be what alcoholics say to themselves to qualify their drinking. Oy.

paperclippy
12-12-2013, 01:31 PM
My family also associates everything with food. We never talk about our feelings out loud though so maybe that's why? When my dad picks up one of my favorite foods, it's his way of saying "I love you," which he never actually says (neither do I, for that matter). DH and I say it all the time so I think our family of the four of us will not be like that.

Our holiday plans just got totally derailed. I was planning on taking two weeks off, during which my mom was going to be visiting for most of the time and my sister and SIL a couple days. Well, yesterday my mom slipped on some ice (in LA!?) while out for a walk and broke her shoulder. Today she's having surgery to have a metal plate put in. :fr: In any case chances are slim that she'll be in any shape to travel by the 24th when her flight is scheduled for. We're waiting to see how the surgery goes since the doctor said it was a two-week recovery. If she isn't coming out I might reduce my vacation time a little bit and I don't know if I'll bother with a tree or anything like that.

alinnell
12-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Jessica~so sorry about your mom! I hope the surgery goes well and she heals fast. But yeah, it's been cold here the past week or so. I can totally understand ice, especially if someone watered their lawn early and it was still shady. (Yeah, we do still have to water here in the winter.)

And no tree for us. And possibly no lights outside, either. DH was going to do it last weekend and got sidetracked by football. This weekend we're golfing, so I imagine he'll get lazy about the lights this weekend, too. Kind of sad.

bargoo
12-12-2013, 02:42 PM
My family also associates everything with food. We never talk about our feelings out loud though so maybe that's why? When my dad picks up one of my favorite foods, it's his way of saying "I love you," which he never actually says (neither do I, for that matter). DH and I say it all the time so I think our family of the four of us will not be like that.

Our holiday plans just got totally derailed. I was planning on taking two weeks off, during which my mom was going to be visiting for most of the time and my sister and SIL a couple days. Well, yesterday my mom slipped on some ice (in LA!?) while out for a walk and broke her shoulder. Today she's having surgery to have a metal plate put in. :fr: In any case chances are slim that she'll be in any shape to travel by the 24th when her flight is scheduled for. We're waiting to see how the surgery goes since the doctor said it was a two-week recovery. If she isn't coming out I might reduce my vacation time a little bit and I don't know if I'll bother with a tree or anything like that.

Jessica, I live in Northern California for the last nine days it has been 27 degrees when I get up and I am constantly hearing warnings of black ice,

Sorry about your mothers shoulder, I have had a broken shoulder, too, No Fun.

ICUwishing
12-12-2013, 03:47 PM
jessica - sorry to hear about your mom. :( I hope her recovery goes well.

allison - he might have a little empty-nest thing going on with the holidays. You might have to kick his fanny and prove all is not lost with the kids gone. :lol: Hooray for your beating the cold before the weekend!

michele - :hug: I wish I had something meaningful to offer. If I could crawl into a hole and hibernate til January, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm formulating a theory that calories from holiday food might be airborne (denial at its very finest, yes?).

bargoo! :wave: How are you doing these days?

Megan - the whole food = love thing is a little strange, isn't it? I could totally understand it if we were on the verge of famine all the rest of the year, but the complete opposite is true. When I was in WW, our sponsor/coach laid it right out there - "what the heck are you thinking when you make cookies and high calorie/low nutrition treats for people you love? Is that the message you really want to send, when you KNOW better?" Ow.

Which leads me to an idea. What if (and it would need to start today!) :eek: I could start a 12 Days of Christmas for the Recovering ... or the advanced version might be a "Reformed" Advent calendar where each little door hides a pleasant and not-unhealthy gift?

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2013, 06:45 PM
LOL Becky. I like the advent calendar with pleasant and not-unhealthy gifts.

So we bought a new sink this weekend. Ours has been leaking for two solid years and we have hated it the entire time we've been in this house. So after a frustrating three hours trying to read downstairs with that infernal drip last Saturday we gave in and bought a sink. Got it installed today. It sounds so peaceful in my house now. :)

Arctic Mama
12-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Ugh. Busy day, and I'm sitting here with a headache that seems to be worsening, after several weeks of a cold that won't shake (and also seems to be worsening). One kid is napping, another kid will be soon, and two kids are outside. I should be doing dishes, but all I want to do is stay plopped on the couch or sleep.

Can this day be over yet? Four more hours until bed, praise The Lord. :(

Mudpie
12-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Watched an interesting program last night about tea, coffee, and caffeine from a historical perspective. Fell asleep before it was over :lol:. It seems addiction can fuel great ambitions. And caffeine doesn't perk us up - it displaces those chemicals which tell us we're tired. I get a real sense of this as most evenings my body is begging to lie down and my brain is still spinning.

I have 9 days off dog walking over the holidays. I'm going to take a serious run at getting the caffeine/lack of sleep pattern broken. I realize how wrong it is to be having an energy drink at 2 a.m. to quiet my brain's cravings enough to get a few more hours sleep.

But I have to keep going right now. 8 more action packed days (I'm working this weekend and doing a one night sleep over tonite) including my yearly physical tomorrow at 7:40 a.m. Nice to have a doctor who will see me on the weekend but kinda sad that I can't even take an afternoon off during the week for a medical appointment.

I am SO ready to retire. 10 more years to go. :faint:

Dagmar :p

paperclippy
12-13-2013, 10:15 AM
My mom's surgery went really well -- apparently she managed to break the bone without any damage to her tendons or ligaments. Hopefully this means she will have an easier recovery! In any case she won't be flying out to see us this month since she's not supposed to raise her arm or lift anything for at least four weeks. Plan for this weekend: finish my holiday shopping and mail out presents to my parents! I think I will order her some flowers too.

traveling michele
12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Jessica-- glad her surgery went well. Poor thing though!

Dagmar-- funny you fell asleep watching the program! But I don't understand how an energy drink can help you fall asleep? Please explain. I have stayed far away from those though I do imbibe in coffee and tea!

Hope you're feeling better today Arctic Mama.

I have to decide whether or not to weigh in tomorrow for Weight Watchers. I am unhappy where my weight is but I have to weigh in once a month. I'm not sure that it's going to get any better for the rest of December especially once dh and the family comes home. Sigh.

silverbirch
12-13-2013, 11:29 AM
That's good news, Jessica. Your poor mother trying to get washed and dressed over the next few weeks. Some flowers would be very nice.

Shannon in ATL
12-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Glad the surgery went well, Jessica! Definitely send flowers.

Taryl - hope your head is better. I am fighting a cold I think, I hope it doesn't linger for weeks and weeks.

Michele - weigh now, get it out of the way.

gardenerjoy
12-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Our plans for the day keep changing. I always find that difficult to deal with, but I'm going to stay on course with my food plan, at least.

paperclippy: so sorry for your mom and about the way that messed with your holiday plans. Flowers and gifts are a lovely idea. She might need special clothes. My Grandma wore button-down-the-front house dresses when she couldn't lift her arms up.

ICUwishing: love your Reformed Advent calendar idea!
I loved it one year when a friend got me tea for a Christmas present. There are lovely flavors out this time of year and it's so much easier to incorporate into a healthy eating plan than cookies.

Arctic Mama
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Joy, I'm the same way. My eating is fine when my day is well planned. But the more chaotic my schedule becomes, especially with unexpected changes, the harder it is for me to keep myself in line. These days I just freak out with food that's permitted on my diet, and try to mitigate how extensive and frequent the freak outs are. That's good enough at this point!

Big hugs, Dagmar and Jessica!

Feel better, Shannon!

Arctic Mama
12-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Headache went away with me pushing fluids and taking some ibuprofen. Cold is still here, unfortunately. It's easy for me to get dehydrated on our out-of-house day, since I'm usually gulping water all day at home and cannot pack that much away from the house, not remember to drink with the same frequency. Nursing exacerbates that.

alinnell
12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
paperclippy: so sorry for your mom and about the way that messed with your holiday plans. Flowers and gifts are a lovely idea. She might need special clothes. My Grandma wore button-down-the-front house dresses when she couldn't lift her arms up.

And front fastening bras. When my MIL had shoulder surgery she had to have front fastening bras and all button down shirts--no shirts that go over the head. And that includes night gowns. The range of motion is severely limited for several weeks after surgery.

Shannon in ATL
12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Oh yeah - front fastening bras, button down shirts and gowns, pants with elastic that don't require much pulling and tugging to put on. I can't tell you how hard it was to get along every day when I couldn't even brush my hair for four weeks. Whew.

bargoo
12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Sweat pants are a gift rom heaven when you break a shoulder,

gardenerjoy
12-14-2013, 11:31 AM
How is everyone this morning? We have snow still falling. Exercise will be shoveling our very steep driveway. We don't need to get out, but DH goes a little nuts if he thinks we can't.

BillBlueEyes
12-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Sweat pants are a gift rom heaven when you break a shoulder,
Good grief, Bargoo, did you do that?

Wishing you well on your ongoing journey.

Mudpie
12-14-2013, 03:14 PM
BIG snow here - 10 cm today and 5-10 more tomorrow. I spent an hour playing crazily in the 3-4 cm that's already down with a young golden retriever. Made the drive home (usually 5 minutes but took 25 today) totally bearable as I thought about how much that dog loved what we did.

Winter is a hard season for me but the joy the dogs feel when out in the snow is contagious and takes me through the worst.

Dagmar :brr: :coolsnow:

saef
12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
My apartment complex doesn't allow dogs, so I am not enjoying the snow, as I envision having to excavate my car tomorrow morning from the storm that's been going on steadily since my spin class met up at 9 AM today.

I kind of like one effect the snow is having, though. Usually on weekends I second-guess myself over whether I've gotten enough errands & etc. done. Today, I trudged through the village and did what I could there, but driving was out of the question. I grew up in a snowy area, but they are lousy at snow removal here and I fear other drivers' ineptitude. And so I made the right choice; I had to, because I made the only choice, as I saw it, since my choices were narrowed down considerably by the weather. It's rare that I feel that okay with what I've done during a day.

gardenerjoy
12-15-2013, 10:26 AM
saef: I know that feeling of never feeling okay about what I got done during the day, never getting to the end of my to do list. I've been a bit better with that lately -- mostly that I'm constructing more realistic to do lists than that I'm getting more done. I've already started thinking about how I can bring that into the new year with renewed vigor. I don't know if being satisfied at the end of the day is a secret to happiness, but it's certainly a pre-condition, for me.

Mudpie
12-15-2013, 03:28 PM
The to-do-list used to be a personal nightmare of mine. I never, ever got even close to getting everything on it done. Then DH asked me why I didn't do up the day's list and then, knowing I wouldn't get it done, give him some of the tasks and eliminate those that really, really were unnecessary. His suggestion was that if the size of the list made me feel sick with anxiety then the list for that day was too big.

I do that now and, while I still don't get everything done, I know I took a good run at it on any given day and am satisfied with that. There are things that will never get done but they are things not worth caring about.

How many people who come over will pull the fridge out and look to see if I dusted behind it? :rofl:

Dagmar :tree:

bargoo
12-15-2013, 08:04 PM
The to-do-list used to be a personal nightmare of mine. I never, ever got even close to getting everything on it done. Then DH asked me why I didn't do up the day's list and then, knowing I wouldn't get it done, give him some of the tasks and eliminate those that really, really were unnecessary. His suggestion was that if the size of the list made me feel sick with anxiety then the list for that day was too big.

I do that now and, while I still don't get everything done, I know I took a good run at it on any given day and am satisfied with that. There are things that will never get done but they are things not worth caring about.

How many people who come over will pull the fridge out and look to see if I dusted behind it? :rofl:

Dagmar :tree:

There's a back to the fridge ?

neurodoc
12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Dagmar, my dog loves the snow (though only when I'm out in it with him) and I thought he was rather peculiar- I assumed most dogs hate to have their paws get so cold. Now I'm tickled, thinking that lots of dogs do what he does- like putting his muzzle into the snow then heaving the snow up and around with it. And eating it. And jumping in the drifts. And rolling in it on his back. It's all very cute and toddler-esque.

I gave my 15 yo DS his first driving lesson in the snow today (we've gotten 8 inches over the last 36 hours). He's been getting pretty cocky about his driving (got his permit in October and has done about 20 hours so far). First couple of slides followed by fish-tailing and he had a new and proper respect for the challenge. I think DH will need to take him to a big empty parking lot tomorrow to practice braking/skidding and re-righting himself. Can't believe we have to teach 3 boys to drive; my nerves are already shot with the first one.

Arctic Mama
12-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Great day here, overall. Church had an excellent sermon, it snowed but my kids helped my husband shovel the driveway, I got to relax for a bit, nobody I'd sicker, etc etc. Time to clean a fish tank and do some knitting, then bed!