Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/157.7/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Plateau?!

Ok, I am currently in my 8th week of IP. To date I have lost 25 pounds. But, I am certain I have hit a plateau. Last week I lost half a pound...this week, nothing!! Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to get out of this rut?
pammyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammyf View Post
Ok, I am currently in my 8th week of IP. To date I have lost 25 pounds. But, I am certain I have hit a plateau. Last week I lost half a pound...this week, nothing!! Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to get out of this rut?
A Plateau would be MORE than 4 weeks with NO change in weight loss OR inches lost.

It is normal for the body to take time to adjust to a large loss of weight in a short time... It needs a break!

Also, did you lose inches over the two last weeks? It is often one or the other, not necessarily both!

You've averaged 3 lbs a week for 8 weeks... You are doing AMAZING. If you are 100% then relax and keep on keeping on...

Also, some people find a small change such as adding a little more red meat which slightly increases your fat in take can actually help (I know, sounds counterintuitive, but it works!) how much salad do you eat? Lots of people find eating a salad every day (increasing lettuce in take) can move loss forward a bit.

And I am sure others will chime in with things that have worked for them.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #3  

JLUS covered it beautifully!

Wouldn't it be great if we could lose 3+ lbs every week?
Some weeks are big, some are small and some you just feel stuck.
View every weekly weigh-in as one data point on your trend DOWN. When you look back on it, it will ALL have been worth it!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

i have had this happen. it's frustrating.
i've been in a long spell when nothing much seems to be happening.
during this past week, things have started to shift a bit again. A couple of problems i've identified:
- i was liberally using a spice combination that has more salt in it than i realised. a problem mainly because i really like it on my salad. so have tightened up on that.
- i stopped using walden farms salad dressings and switched to oil and apple cider vinegar. and i was not measuring my oil
- i wasn't being as careful about how much protein i was eating... ie sometimes my steaks were getting a bigger than 8 oz

changes:
- i cut back on the salt
- have been recording my intake
- am weighing my meat
- now that i am in p2, i have switched my lunch time packet of food to eggs or fish. i notice the eggs especially are really satiating.
- am being really 'on time' with my evening snack of pudding
- am being diligent about water intake

i had really good losses until about week 20 of the programme and then things started to slow down. can't complain because what i have lost seemed insurmountable at one time to me.

hang in there and hang in here! the programme works.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #5  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

and one more thing: i have started using head lettuce more often. i eat a lot of it. i notice my bowels are moving more smoothly since i started that as did the weight start to shift

my coach says that it can be really, really little things that affect us ... even something like chewing gum or having too much lemon
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #6  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

Height: 5'5"

pammy- I feel you; I was just there and it is frustrating. I hadn't seen movement for 2 weeks. And I kept in mind the statements below and guess what this week I was down 5lbs. I figure it is my body saying "Are we really doing this? Shouldn't we stop and think about it before going further?" Me staying on plan is pushing my body into my "weigh" of thinking. I am at a total 40 lost in 11 weeks.

With that said, I can defiantly relate to your feelings. But, hang on and keep on keeping on and you too will most likely soon have a WOOSH!
BuffieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #7  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Not much to add, except hang in there! Sometimes your body just needs a week or two to adjust. Make sure you measure your veggies, weigh your meat, drink lots of water, etc.

I've had weeks of 0 or 1 losses followed by a 5 lb loss - the whoosh fairy found me! Watch out for her though - she's unorganized and directionally challenged so you never know when she's going to show up!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #8  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I had a not great week a couple of weeks ago and my regular coach was out, so I saw the Chiropractor/IP 'head person' at my clinic. She said to make sure I was eating at least 4 cups of lettuce per day (she said that if I hadn't had lap band surgery and had problems with that bulk it would be 8 cups). Well, when I picked my chin up off the floor, I started to try it. I mix it in with my IP shakes/drink mixes.

Also, are you using Splenda? She told me that each packet of Splenda has approximately 1 gram of carbs. I was totally overdoing it on the Splenda.

Good luck and it will break, I was disappointed on Wednesday when I weighed in and only lost 1.2 lbs and they "scolded" me saying that that was good and that I am doing fantastic.

Keep up the GREAT work.

Have a good Friday.

Carol
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Don't have much to add but wanted to say hang in there, it is a journey and not a race! Keep up the good work and it will happen.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #10  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

One foot in front of the other. Stick with the plan and you will see results. I too have been discouraged by low loss weeks, but in the larger picture, it's a process, and you'll get there. Breathe.
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #11  
living in the moment

S/C/G: 100kg/81.2kg/58kg

Height: 158cm

Default yeah, breathe.

that is very sound advice. i am going through a plateau myself. a rocky outcrop. very hard to manoevre. where is that whoosh fairy? does she know she is needed down under? i have been stuck for AGES. but i won't give in. it's a battle but i'm going to win. You are too. persistance. that's the key . PERSISTANCE PERSISTANCE PERSISTANCE
YOU GO GIRL also, YOU GO BOY!!!!! (FOR THE BOYS AROUND HERE!)
saraphin is offline   Reply With Quote