Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default Back on track after "business trip"

So I just got back from a week-long trip to Australia, where I had a wonderful time. Ostensibly it was a business trip -- my client (a medical communications company) paid for just about all of it -- but I only worked for 8 hours (!) and had the rest of the week to myself in Sydney and Melbourne. I guess we're living off the fat of the pharma industry.

I had every intention to stay on plan during the trip, but that resolution fell apart when I got to the hotel in Melbourne, which had the most spectacular breakfast buffet I had ever seen, and when the team invited me to these uber-gourmet restaurants where the food and wine were flowing freely.

I figure I probably gained three real pounds. The good news is that I went right back on plan yesterday, my first day back home. I knew it was crucial for me to do this as vacations have completely derailed me in the past. I think I've got this. I know I've got this.

At the same time, I wish I could learn how to eat more reasonably under such circumstances. Or do I? I'm not sure.

Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 12-05-2013 at 03:39 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

That's awesome - I wish I could travel more. I say that going out of the country really counts as one of those things where you should try the local foods, etc.

Getting back on track is the hard part and you're doing it already!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I actually think of you and your ability to go off plan and get back on it soon thereafter quite a bit. Three pounds, which you can take off slowly over the next month or two, is not much of a price to pay for the opportunity to be completely unconcerned about how you're eating. Sounds like an amazing trip.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Worth it!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #5  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Australia is my dream destination!

Sounds like you ate more reasonably than you think, congrats getting right back on plan.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I travel quite a bit, I'm an English teacher in Korea so whenever there's a holiday that's longer than 4 days I'm out of here. And my thoughts on travel and food/diet are pretty much, I'm never going to be back to a lot of the places I visit so I'm going to enjoy it and eat the food and drink the drinks and not worry about if for that period of time. I also find that I'm walking more to see all the sites so that offsets some of the food gain.

It's definitely slowed down my weight loss. I've lost about 6 pounds since June because I've gone on 3 trips totaling about 4 weeks of time. As long as you're able to get right back on plan when you come back I don't think a week here or there will do too much damage.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

Good work!!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelijpa View Post
Australia is my dream destination!

Sounds like you ate more reasonably than you think...
I dunno. Do you think 4,000 cals per day is reasonable? Everyone else (except the co-owner of the company that gave me the assignment, who's a major foodie) seemed so tempered and moderate compared to me. Oh well. Today I went to another client's Christmas party and did well: had just one plate of food and didn't touch the desserts.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 12-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #9  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

The important thing is that you were able to get back on plan without any trouble. Three pounds will be gone in no time ... problems set in when you overeat and can't stop. So you are a winner in my book!

I'm about to go on a three week vacation and I know I will want to eat. I've thought long and hard about it, and I've decided to up my calories by 500 a day during that time, which is close to maintenance for my current weight. My body could use a break and 1700 is easier than 1200 ... without being calorie free fall.

The only other suggestion is to remind yourself that you don't have to eat everything today. You were exposed to a yummy breakfast buffet (a lot of those in my future too) but you were at the hotel multiple days. So maybe next time look it over and decide want you want to eat, then divide up the treats by the number of days you are there and spread them out. Keep telling yourself "yes that looks and smells so great but I will have it another day because today I will have this other amazing thing."

Sydney is a fairly health conscious city so those gourmet restaurants might not be as bad as you fear.

Hope your fears are unfounded and you sailed through just fine!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #10  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Freelance, I was going by your 3 pound gain, if I give myself free rein I could go up 3 pounds each day! rueful smile...congrats on getting back on plan and being able to do well on the next challenge (party).

Seriously I'm usually up about 10 in the past after a weeks vacation, now it's more like 5 if I try to keep my head on straight
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefrey View Post
The only other suggestion is to remind yourself that you don't have to eat everything today. You were exposed to a yummy breakfast buffet (a lot of those in my future too) but you were at the hotel multiple days. So maybe next time look it over and decide want you want to eat, then divide up the treats by the number of days you are there and spread them out.
That's an excellent suggestion, thanks. I had four shots at the buffet. I really didn't need to have a custom-made omelette, chocolate croissant, prosciutto, and multigrain bread with smoked salmon and cream cheese every single time.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 12-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changergirl View Post
II also find that I'm walking more to see all the sites so that offsets some of the food gain.
Yes, I think that helps me too. I walk A LOT when I'm travelling. I don't do tour buses and experience new cities by walking several hours each day, sometimes with a specific destination in mind and sometimes at random.

F.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I think if you can get right back on plan, and really make that work, you have the best of both worlds.

So I vote So Worth It!

Sounds like an awesome trip, I'm jealous!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am traveling to Turkey tonight for work and will definitely stay mostly on plan.Travel scale is packed.

I should even be able to eat better than at home because of the availability of fresh fish, rather than the copious amounts of canned stuff I normally scoff down. I'll probably eat less hummus too (as in not a whole tub-a-day). Plus the gym at the hotel makes working out more convenient than usual.

My main challenge remains the flight. I will eat and drink on that. Can't resist.

But drinking doesn't count.

Saying that, Australia would be worth making an exception for.

Last edited by IanG; 12-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I think it depends on you - some people do just fine with blowouts and long corrections. Others do well with a lighter approach - incremental gain and quick correction. There are more than a few dieters for whom a few pound gain never does come off or leads to many more off plan days. Those are the folks I'd urge to not indulge or do it very lightly. But if you don't struggle with getting back on plan and taking off the consequences of overindulgences, I don't think any harm is done in libertine eating and the weeks of coinciding restriction.

It's SO individual. Knowing your history, I'd say you're probably fine and it was worth it. But if you find this a more regular pattern or verging into a binge/restriction/disordered eating pattern instead of normal maintenance weight management, then a change may be in order.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote