Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Default Health Book Club (for maintenance)

We were mentioning books we had found interesting on the maintainers' thread.

I thought it may be a good idea to start another thread about this where we could discuss them in more detail.

A number of people have State of Slim. Unfortunately I keep typing it as State of Slime.That mental image would be enough to really limit what you eat. But typos fixed and we should be ready to roll. Anyone can join in.

I wasn't sure what to call the thread. I wanted to make clear it is not addressing P1 approach. But of course everyone is interested in health so people still on plan can certainly take part.

Just trying to avoid the impression we are not trying to replace IP. For most of us it is the only thing that worked adter years of frustration. The topic would likely be of most interest to those post IP and learning to remain healthy in the big bad non -IP world.

I will come back in after work to give my impressions of chapter 1.

If anyone has any other books they are interested in please feel free to share those too.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5 '6

Thanks Pat, its great that anyone can join! I would like to get busy reading in preparation for maintenance and its nice to know that those of us who are still losing are welcome to participate!
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Love this thread idea! I'm wondering how beneficial this book will be for me in P1. May have to check back on your next book! I really like this idea though! Perhaps anyone looking in on this thread can chime in on some good P1 book recommendations? I'm thinking most of y'all participating in this thread are maintainers/book lovers....!
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #4  

Hi Em, I had a hard time thinking of an all inclusive name for the thread. This book would probably be interesting to you too because it speaks to the balance between food and exercise.

Other book suggestions are very welcome too.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #5  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

I found this book interesting. Helpful to understand how successful maintainers do it.

Still trying to figure out how to use the info, though. I don't want to lose 20+ pounds (maybe a few) so I would not do the whole program, which is supposed to reset your metabolism. Not sure if doing very short versions of the phases would be effective. Thoughts?

I do plan to try the pumpkin chili recipe - sounds tasty!
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #6  

Height: 5 '6

I ordered the book on Amazon, looking forward to the read!
Hiker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #7  

Lizzy, I am thinking through the same thing. I want to lose, re-lose to be accurate, 10 pound by summer. I will see how far into the program I will go.Of course me worried about losing too much weight is ludicrous!

The book make a lot of sense to me. I am rereading now, skimmed through all of it quickly once. I only have it on my kindle so far, waiting to get the hard copy from amazon. I don't like diet and recipe books on the kindle, I want to be able to flip back and forth in the actual book.

I went back to check intro and first chapter and the battery is drained in the kindle. That never happened with a book.

I started reading the book in a bit of a snit. It was because the description of how an active lifestyle comes so naturaly in Colorado.

I live in semi-northern Alberta five hours due north of the Montana border. I lived most of my life on the east coast so used to different climates but most of it winter.

Alberta is a lot like Colorado. South of us is the north end of the Rockies. Actually I am watching the Colorado Avalanche play the Edmonton Oilers on TV right now.

Alberta has same amount of sunshine, hiking trails etc.
My daughter worked it Colorado for two years. she loved it. She said she could do everything she loved to do in Alberta without worrying about freezing a lung.
My snit is about how much extra time everything takes when you live in extreme climates. I think very hot is as restrictive as very cold.

Losing weight also takes so much time too.

So I am jealous of climates which are pleasant to be out and about in.
My long commute tomorrow will be in -22 F. Snow clearance first, then traffic slows right down on cold blustery days.
But as I went on in the book I was encouraged to see about changing negative mindsets. But mine won't be changed until I finish cussing out my drained kindle and reread the first part of the book.

But I am afraid I have put a bit of a curse on Colorado. Our nsty bitter weather we had all last week has moved on down to them. I really didn't mean for that to happen!

Pat

Last edited by patns; 12-05-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #8  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

I LOVE reading about all things health and diet. It just fills me with inspiration and hope. Keeping that inspiration and hope going is the hard part!

I really liked "Refuse to Regain". It is written with weight loss maintenance in mind, but I believe has really good life-tips while losing as well. Besides, it's never too early to plan for maintenance - after all - that is what all this hard work is for. Achieving, and maintaining, a healthy weight.

I have heard mention of "The Beck Solution" many times, and though I've not read it myself, I plan to check it out.

I definitely will check out "State of Slim" - thanks for the suggestion!
slownsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. I've been lurking a bit, but haven't been here as much for the past couple of months. It's nice to see a thread where we can share our thoughts about dieting/health books.

I've been focusing more on books that deal with emotional eating/behavioral modification, etc. for the past couple of months, as I think that is more to the point for me these days than the actual dieting... I've already proven I could get the weight off, but recognize now that I succumb to emotional eating and am trying to get a grip on this as I work to re-lose about 10 lbs or so.

I have read so many books on dieting, that I should be able to write one myself... but 'State of Slim' is not among them. And as I'm right now focusing on my Shrink Yourself online counselling program and the related reading, etc., I'm sticking with that direction for the time being.

I'll check here from time to time though, and hopefully be able to contribute with future books.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #10  

Hi Evepeet! Shrink yourself sounds very interesting.

OK now that we have managed to send our early bitter cold weather all over North America my power has stayed on long enough for my internet to work again.

I have gone over the first part of State of Slim again. I have jotted some points I found really interesting.

I had noticed on the maintainers thread the people who seem to stick with the principles they learned while on IP are those who can add the foods in P3 back without gaining and add physical activity back and enjoy it.

So here are some points from the book:

Overeating is just as much a consequence of being overweight as it is a cause. If you gain weight you require more calories to fuel your bigger body.

If your body stops moving as it was intended to; or if you supply it with inferior fuel your metabolism begins to deteriorate. You become more efficient at storing calories in the form of body fat than burning them.

Keeping weight off is a different challenge than losing it and requires a different strategy.

You need to ramp up your activity to fix your broken metabolism. Otherwise you lose weight but just put yourself in a situation where you have to maintain your weight loss on too few calories.

Physical activity level is the best predictor of who will be successful in keeping weight off.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #11  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Good to see you Evepet! Ugh - emotional eating... I am guilty of that too from time-to-time, especially when I am bored.

Patns - good summary. After reading the book, I am working at ramping up my activity level.

I agree about book vs ebook. I use a nook, but would find a hard copy handy, especially for the recipes. Made the pumpkin chili yesterday and it was good. DH even approved and he does not like to try new things.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #12  

Lizzy , it is especially for recipes I like the hard copy of the book. I hope my hard copy is here soon. The chili sounds interesting! But from what I can tell on my kindle there are not many recipes in the book.

I wish this extreme cold would break, not very conductive for physical activity.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #13  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I have gone over the first part of State of Slim again. I have jotted some points I found really interesting.

So here are some points from the book:

Overeating is just as much a consequence of being overweight as it is a cause. If you gain weight you require more calories to fuel your bigger body.

If your body stops moving as it was intended to; or if you supply it with inferior fuel your metabolism begins to deteriorate. You become more efficient at storing calories in the form of body fat than burning them.

Keeping weight off is a different challenge than losing it and requires a different strategy.

You need to ramp up your activity to fix your broken metabolism. Otherwise you lose weight but just put yourself in a situation where you have to maintain your weight loss on too few calories.

Physical activity level is the best predictor of who will be successful in keeping weight off.
Thanks for sharing this!

I'm definitely going to have to check this book out - I usually try a Kindle 'sample' to make sure it is something I will be interested in - then buy it, but it sure sounds like it has some terrific advice/tips.

I definitely struggle with the physical activity part and KNOW I must find a solution to my resistance to this. I don't want to go through all of this, and reach goal (so excited to think about that!), just to put it back on because I did not prepare myself and did not add regular exercise into my life.

Last edited by slownsteady; 12-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.
slownsteady is offline   Reply With Quote