Weight Loss Support - List your Holiday parties/report on how you did

shr1nk1ngme
12-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I am starting a thread because I need support for specific things coming up on my calendar.

I am doing OK so far this Holiday season, but all of the big challenges are ahead of me:

Going out to lunch with a friend today for her birthday 12/4
Going out to breakfast with my Spanish class next week 12/10
Going out to dinner with a different Spanish class next week 12/11
Potluck at my ladies' Bible study next week 12/10
Potluck at our couple's Bible study the week after that 12/19
And then: Christmas! 12/25

This is gonna be sooo hard.

Please list your upcoming events/parties which you are worried might throw you off-plan. Then come back and tell us how you did. What did you do to cope/make it through?

Or you can cry on our shoulders if you went off-plan. :hug:

freelancemomma
12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
I am starting a thread because I need support for specific things coming up on my calendar... This is gonna be sooo hard.

I hear you. I have a networking party this Friday that I'm particularly worried about. The hosts serve us by the plate, rather than letting us serve ourselves. So they'll hand me (for example) a plate filled with steak, lasagna, salad drenched in dressing, herbed sweet potatoes, and a hot roll. Later in the evening they give each of us a plate filled with desserts. I HATE this style of hosting (I secretly think it's passive aggressive), but don't know how to deal with it. Ideas, anyone?

Freelance

pnkrckpixikat
12-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Tell them that your doctor doesn't want you to eat certain foods due to health concerns

Rintin
12-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Same here- husbands birthday. He wants to go to NYC for dinner and out drinking.
12/11- work lunch
12/12-cookie exchange
12/13 party
16th The next week another party Monday
17th Tuesday a work party then a friends birthday that night
The 23rd my dad comes into town.....
Yikes!! Lots of non standard stuff to work around. I know I should feel blessed to have so many people events for the holiday but I get so nervous about failing. I am hoping we can all plan ahead.

Rsadler126
12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Oh, this is a great idea!
I have a holiday potluck tomorrow for work. My plan is this:
2 (max) Jimmy John's veggie mini-subs
Small helping of potatoes
1 brownie (only if they look good)
Vegetables!!!
This might be just what I need to stay on track. Thanks!

HuggerBunny
12-07-2013, 09:47 AM
My biggest concern is that my in-laws will be up here for an entire week around Christmas, and they eat out every day. When I say that, I mean they eat out every day when they're at their own home since my mother-in-law doesn't like to cook. They stay at a hotel so breakfast each day is on our own, but we have lunch and dinner together. Usually they're only up here for a couple of days and during that time I always make at least one meal for us, but the whole thing is always complicated (long story). I'm considering Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to be "eat what ya want, within reason" days, but not the rest. My basic plan while they're here is to eat a very healthy breakfast at home before we see them, and a healthy lunch on the days I'll be working. Will probably allow myself one meal out where I can pick whatever I want, but for the others, I will pick something that looks like it would best fit the guidelines for how should be eating. I'm thinking lots of salads with minimal dressing!

Good luck to everyone :)

shr1nk1ngme
12-07-2013, 12:59 PM
OK well at my friend's birthday lunch today I was sooooo tempted. We went to a hibachi steakhouse/sushi bar. There was fried rice (fried right in front of me on the hibachi, like they do) and all manner of yummy fried veggies (which I passed on because I would have waaaay gone off plan if I'd allowed myself to get started) and the yummiest looking cabbage salad with a beautiful ginger dressing. Which, I am 100% sure, was LOADED with sugar.

I ordered miso soup. Low carb and only 85 calories.

If I am going to stay on plan I have to have control of the rice situation. So I didn't budge an inch. Miso miso miso, that's all for me thank you very much.

Man, that was hard. But I did it! And BTW the soup was excellent and I want to go back there sometime when I am in maintenance and I can have the veggies and maybe the salad. Dressing on the side, of course. Yummmmm!

pluckypear
12-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Great idea for a thread!!!

My events:

December 14-Brunch with friends at a Greek Restaurant and gift exchange
December 16-Committee has holiday dinner delivered before the meeting from an upscale Italian Restaurant
December 17-movie and dinner/drinks with best friend
December 19-dinner potluck with a class I attend
December 21-day out with DH-massages and dinner
December 22-dinner party at in-laws-they will make the food-mainly Filipino food
December 23-wedding anniversary
December 24-traditionally Chinese food in or out
December 25
December 31
January 1

I will post my plan for each as it approaches and then post how I actually did. Some dates have no event attached as I know I will be celebrating in some way but not sure yet how. :)

freelancemomma
12-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I did quite well at last night's networking dinner. While I went to the bathroom my host filled my plate with lamb, salad, and roasted veggies, but I politely put just about all the lamb back on the serving tray, proclaiming that "it looks delicious, but I'm not much of a meat person" (which is true). I also took a pass on the rice when it came my way. One of the guests brought a home-made cake, of which I had a quarter-inch sliver.

F.

freelancemomma
12-07-2013, 08:36 PM
OK well at my friend's birthday lunch today I was sooooo tempted. We went to a hibachi steakhouse/sushi bar. There was fried rice (fried right in front of me on the hibachi, like they do) and all manner of yummy fried veggies (which I passed on because I would have waaaay gone off plan if I'd allowed myself to get started) and the yummiest looking cabbage salad with a beautiful ginger dressing. Which, I am 100% sure, was LOADED with sugar.

I ordered miso soup. Low carb and only 85 calories... Man, that was hard. But I did it!

Huge congratulations are in order. You're one strong woman!

F.

GlamourGirl827
12-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Great thread idea!

We had BIL stay with us over Thanks giving week and he is a health nut. It was great! Completely stopped me from over eating the whole week, and there was tons of pies cookies cakes! He didnt say anything, but since he was staying here, I wasn't allowed time alone to over eat...my issue is over eating in private, I cannot over eat infront of people Im too self conscience.

Cookie party this Friday...nervous because it will be expected to taste all the cookies...there's going to be a contest with a prize for the best...plus there's going to be lots of alcohol and I love a nice glass of wine. I was told to bring 3-4 dozen cookies! Going to be a lot of people..how am I going to get around tasting the cookies??? Its not like a regular party, I'm going to be expected to taste a lot of cookies :( ANd I have such a sugar addiction, which I've been off of since before thanksgiving...a night of cookies could be anough to start the cravings again....

I dont want to be a party pooper, but this party is most of my husbands coworkers and so it mostly medical professionals, I thought about just being honest and saying I'm trying to lose the baby weight for health reasons, they will get it, I dont need to explain it to them.

The last cookie party I went to the cookies were sent home to eat there. no tasting at the party, I guess it was more of a cookie exchange..so of course I could bring them home and not eat them...

That's it for now. DH's holiday party was last week but I couldnt go, no sitter.

And there's Christmas day, big get together but I'm ok socializing and avoiding food.

Rintin
12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Ugggg...so my husbands birthday could have gone better. When did birthdays turn into week long things? I over did it on fried foods and ice cream one day then pizza the next! At least no cake?....next party is cookie party. Here isto hoping I control it with wine and cookies!

I feel encouraged by all those posting they were able to overcome! Knowing that it is possible with planning nd wanting it enough is what I need. Great jobs totose with positive results!!!

envelope
12-08-2013, 10:51 PM
We had a Christmas party at my husband's cousin's house today. I was really worried before I went.
I had a late breakfast, so I would not be hungry for lunch before we went.
The party started at 2 with food being served at 3. While there I had a small serving of all of the main course, had 1 small cookie, and 3 small PB cups, then drank a cup of coffee and popped some sugar free gum in my mouth. Was so proud of myself for not sampling all of the diff deserts. I decided they were not worth the extra cals on top of eating the lunch when compared with my goal. (I am determined to try my best to be down into the 180s for the New Year)
For dinner I had lots of raw vegis and a fat free yogurt.

pnkrckpixikat
12-09-2013, 12:43 AM
glamourgirl are any of the docs YOUR doc? cause if not than you can say that your doc is concerned about your blood sugar so you are avoiding sweets

shr1nk1ngme
12-09-2013, 01:00 AM
I would be terrified to go to a cookie party. I think I would personally find a way to opt out. But that's because there's no way at an all-sweets party to stay on plan. And if you just don't partake at all, you might offend someone or start them pressuring you to "just have one".

I'm like an alcoholic with many foods. Once I start I cannot stop. You wouldn't pressure an alcoholic to "just have one". Ugh I just wouldn't go.

cowgalsarah29
12-09-2013, 01:14 AM
LOVE this thread!!

I have my work do tomorrow night and I am a teacher so every morning tea there is something (sweet or fatty) waiting for us on the table.

But listening to your stories I am motivated to just eat what I bring to school for lunch and the work do tomorrow night I will make sure I leave some food on my plate.

pixelllate
12-10-2013, 01:05 PM
12/14 - Holiday lights viewing with friend :smug:
(remote area, we might go out to eat in very Italian/carby neighborhood, but I just plan on saying that I ate at a work party beforehand and just get some tea or diet coke)
12/18 - Potluck work party :?:
(not really participating or eating - I feel awkward bringing something in if I have no desire to eat at all since I intermittent fast)
12/19 - Holiday daytime work party :mad:
(its ALL the way in Queens and I live in Brooklyn. No way - there is NO alcohol, its from 3-5 pm aka not fun hours and its at a local cafeteria of a work site, not a restaurant. Said that I have dentist appt right after work, so I can't make it to party for longer than like 1 hour and then rush back to dentist - its not worth it. This is a total lie.)
12/19 - Holiday work bar party :(
(wanted to do it, but I lied about the dentist thing, so "I'll be at the dentist" during the secret Santa exchange. Oh well, I have to watch my budget.)
No other concrete plans - would like to catch up with friends, but maybe when it gets warmer. I hate the cold and I have no $ for a winter coat. Rarely speak to family (good thing!) so no family parties to worry about. Not really all that upset, I don't know anyone at work cause I just started so its mostly just awkward times. :dizzy:

LovesToTravel
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
So glad to see this thread- every bit of accountability helps! The past month has been rough. Seems like between stress and temptations I'm reaching for the goodies more than I'd like to be. I'm trying to keep my weight under 143 throughout December and will resume the weight loss efforts in January.

Sat 12/14: Holiday shopping w/ a friend and dinner out at a Japanese steak house- a yearly tradition. I plan to eat a filling lunch before we go so I'm not famished later. I'll order off the sushi menu rather than from the hibachi grill.

Sun 12/15: Annual Christmas get together with my in-laws to exchange gifts. We've been invited out to eat, but I told my husband that I really don't want to go to a restaurant twice in one weekend so we're just going to stop over after the meal to exchange gifts and have a cup of coffee/tea.

Sun 12/15: Church cookie walk that I volunteered to make some cookies for. I never buy any, I just like to make them. Initially, I wanted to make gingerbread cookies tomorrow and decorate them with royal icing and candy, but that's a several-hour project and I really don't know if my will power can handle having cookies in the house until Sunday! I'm tempted to just stick with some simple cookies that I can make with ready-made dough late Saturday night so they're not calling to me all weekend. :(

skintoskincombat
12-13-2013, 10:07 AM
I've been doing a low carb thing for the past 2 months and had a cheat meal on thanksgiving and a cheat meal last Monday at my company christmas party. I was nervous doing them so close together (2 weeks apart) thinking I would derail but I'm still here!!!

So our x mas party is full of good foods. I work at a restaurant where the party is held and boss is a graduate of the culinary institute of America, so the food is always amazing. I tried not to go crazy but I only had a couple of nuts for lunch. I had a small slice of thin flatbread (with garlic confit, asiago cheese, bacon arugala and truffle oil on it) two pieces of sushi, one shrimp, 2 mini lamb chops, 1 tiny bite sized lobster egg roll, some brocaalli rabbe, some wings, and 1 pumpkin ravioli with Gorgonzola butter and hazelnuts. I think I did alright I just wanted to try everything:( I also had 3 glasses of red wine and 2 truffles! Crap now writing this all out I feel like I ate a lot... Well it's over and I'm back on the wagon. One observation I have made is the next day sucks! I want all the carbs and I'm ravenous but once I get past that its so much easier to get back on, and once the water weight leaves I swear I felt thinner than ever!

Inkrid
12-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I am doing a LOT of low carb soups and green drinks. Being very strict until X-mas Eve for my Mom and X-mas probably with my dad. Will eat normal holiday fare there. Then will take it easy that week until New Years. No one knows what will happen New Years but will keep my Indulgence options open for then. Am super strict now though!!

zihlman
12-13-2013, 08:52 PM
At work we do the 12 days of Christmas where everybody brings something everyday. So it's 12 days of basically being forced to eat a meal/snack of usually unhealthy food.

However I've done better this year than in years past, just taking a small plate and being done with it!

Finch13
12-15-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm so happy right now, because I've managed to maintain my weight through a 2 week visit to the in-laws involving several parties! This time of year is when the wheels have always started falling off my weight loss efforts before. Now I feel ready to tackle the restof the festivities with a healthy mindset and should reach my goal weight not long after new year's. :carrot:

LovesToTravel
12-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Follow-up:

The gift exchange with the in-laws went well. I had lunch at home and met up with everyone after they were done at the restaurant. My MIL has been making such a fuss about my weight loss every time she sees me- in a good way! She's very thin and fit, doesn't eat much junk. She offered me a cookie fresh out of the oven and when she saw me hesitate, she was like, "It's OK. Here, I'll have one with you." and we both enjoyed our respective cookie. :D

The church cookie walk didn't happen because the weather got bad. I knew the night before that I wasn't going to brave the 30 minute drive down the highway to get there so I didn't even bother baking. I'm saving the cookie dough for Christmas eve.

The shopping trip didn't go as planned. Normally we eat at a Japanese steakhouse and I've been jonesing for some sushi all week! This time my friend wanted to try a different restaurant and I waited too long before eating. I was at DEFCON 5 levels of hunger by the time we sat down and had a plate of nachos and a Pepsi. The nachos weren't even that good. :mad: I need to start packing snacks in my bag for emergencies; I can't think straight when I'm shaking from hunger.

jitterfish
12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I've managed to survive most of my Xmas events with discipline or avoidance. But tomorrow night I have my husbands work do and it is always so over the top. I'm no good at doing the "eat something filling" before hand, because then I just eat more on top of that. My plan is to do some exercise tomorrow and I've saved all my weekly points (I'm on WW) so hopefully I can get through relatively on track.

shr1nk1ngme
12-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Thursday night is our annual bible group potluck. Everybody is bringing decadent dishes! I am bringing a broccoli salad and Emeril's baked artichoke/spinach dip. I plan to make some broccoli salad on the side for myself with splenda instead of sugar and to have a small helping of the dip on some crudites I will bring for myself in a small ziplock bag. I bought some one ounce packets of cream cheese (for portion control) and I will bring one of those as well, and some Andre's CarboSave chocolate chip cookies and Swiss Miss Diet Cocoa for dessert. Essentially I won't be eating ANY of the regular food that everyone else is eating. But I will be participating, and eating my own foods, and laughing and enjoying the company of my dear friends at Christmastime. AND staying on plan.

LovesToTravel
12-17-2013, 10:32 PM
shr1nk1ngme and jitterfish, good luck to you both this week!

time2lose
12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
We have been having sweets in the office all week. I have avoided them but am feeling a little weak today so I thought this post would help. To deal with this, here is my strategy:

* I am reminding myself that I am letting myself have the treats that I love on Christmas day. Christmas is a holiday, not holiweek or holimonth.

* I brought plenty of on plan food with me. I gave myself the OK to eat more calories of that food than normal but I am afraid of losing control with the sweets.

* Stay very busy.

* Today I am going to hang on to the fact that it is almost over.

We are having a lunch today but I think there will be enough on plan foods that I will be OK. Just in case, I brought a baggie of veggies that I can munch on.

Thanks for this thread! Just writing this has made me feel better.

Psychic
12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty much sticking with maintenance calories right now. I'll try to stay away from sweets. There is too much going on for me to worry about my diet.

I work at a school, so I'm invited to all sorts of things.

12/19 - Employee Potluck @ Work
12/20 - Special Ed Potluck @ Work
12/22 - Department Potluck @ Work
12/24 - Christmas Eve Party w/ Family
12/25 - Christmas Dinner
1/3 - Holiday Party w/ Friends
1/4 - Will still be away from home, eating out

I plan on getting back on track on January 6th.

shr1nk1ngme
12-19-2013, 12:08 PM
OK tonight is the BIG one, the Christmas party I was most concerned about and the reason I started this thread:

So I am starving all day because I am going to a FEAST tonight and I want to be able to eat to my heart's content!
It's an UpDay (JUDDD) but I will be eating nearly ALL my calories after 6 PM tonight. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/images/smilies/big_grin_2011.gif
During the day, I plan to drink a whole lotta herbal tea and have a hard boiled egg with a GG's Scandinavian bran cracker for lunch.

I am bringing some of my own food as backup (cream cheese & celery sticks, diet cocoa & low-carb cookies for dessert) in case there isn't anything low-ish carb AND vegetarian to eat. Since it's potluck I can at least be sure my own contributions are on-plan and I can eat those. I have planned to eat an extra 200 calories but I am sticking to my guns when it comes to the carbs (<30). I will not allow this party to throw me out of ketosis because that would mean another week-long stall. Ain't happenin'. Period.

:angel: May the carb angels watch over me. :angel:

LovesToTravel
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Not a party really, but I have survived the office cookie table this week! :carrot: We had an endless parade of sales reps, delivery drivers, and coworkers leaving plates of sweets out. Everybody groaned, then scarfed them all up. Except me! I politely ate a cookie one of my coworkers made and had a piece of candy, but otherwise steered clear. :D

This weekend Husband and I have plans to celebrate Christmas before I go home for the week to see my family. We're going to Red Lobster for dinner and seeing a movie. I have plans to go really light on the meal (grilled fish and steamed broccoli with water), then have a small popcorn and a few sips of soda at the movies.

Husband is also taking me tonight to buy a new (smaller) pair of jeans for Christmas since I don't have any pants left that fit. Extra incentive to stay on plan, woohoo!

LovesToTravel
12-20-2013, 11:09 AM
OK tonight is the BIG one, the Christmas party I was most concerned about and the reason I started this thread:...
:angel: May the carb angels watch over me. :angel:

I hope the party went well, shr1nk1ngme. :)

shr1nk1ngme
12-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Yes, thank you, the party went well. I planned for an extra 200 calories but kept the carbs low. I brought my own special food so I ate on plan and stayed on plan. I did eat a TON of vegetables so I didn't weigh this morning because I knew it would be up 2 pounds just from all the fiber and I didn't want to discourage myself.
I'll weigh in tomorrow morning and since today is a down-day I expect to see some progress.
Now I only have to stay on plan for Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

shr1nk1ngme
12-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Not a party really, but I have survived the office cookie table this week! ... I politely ate a cookie one of my coworkers made and had a piece of candy, but otherwise steered clear. :D

Husband is also taking me tonight to buy a new (smaller) pair of jeans for Christmas since I don't have any pants left that fit. Extra incentive to stay on plan, woohoo!

Way to stay on plan! I find that is the secret to eating out: have a plan for what you are going to eat before you get there. It seems like you are ready for your events.

I wish wish wish I was shopping for smaller jeans. I have lost 14 pounds but at my weight that does not equal a smaller pant size, apparently, since I'm still in my 14's and I can't squeeze into my 12's yet.
Congrats! You deserve to reward yourself for your accomplishment! :carrot:

LovesToTravel
12-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes, thank you, the party went well. I planned for an extra 200 calories but kept the carbs low. I brought my own special food so I ate on plan and stayed on plan. I did eat a TON of vegetables so I didn't weigh this morning because I knew it would be up 2 pounds just from all the fiber and I didn't want to discourage myself.
I'll weigh in tomorrow morning and since today is a down-day I expect to see some progress.
Now I only have to stay on plan for Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

Glad the party was a success and there were many vegetables involved! Sounds like you did good with your plan.

Here's to more successes as we ring in the new year. :hat: