40-Somethings - 40-Somethings December Chat Thread

newleaf123
12-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Let's get talking!

If you need to catch up on the last few posts from November & early December, they are here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/289314-40-somethings-november-chat.html

newleaf123
12-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Mrs. Snark, I found my first gray hair on the day of an extremely difficult math final my senior year in college. So, 28 years ago... I'm trying to dig deep and find some empathetic words for you :faint: Just kidding... of course I care! And I know you; you have immense reserves of self control; I know you will successfully draw upon it today :hug:

Sum38
12-03-2013, 04:35 PM
I am still waiting for my first gray hair :D

kelijpa
12-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I feel I've earned them...lol...mine are white, so sometimes I wonder if someday I'll have a head of white hair like Mrs Santa Claus. I remember pulling out a few, one of my friends does that, I think I'd rather be gray than have a bunch of bald spots :rofl:

Funny what traumatizes us, I couldn't stop staring at these laugh line wrinkle things I noticed when I was looking in the mirror this morning, how long has that been there...then I started looking at my whole face, this line, that mark, luckily I decided I haven't done too much damage over the years. And nothing quite like staring at a wrinkle on one side of your face and a stupid little pimple on the other side...urg

Anyway Dec.'s off to a good start so far, hope that'll carry me through... Thanks for starting the chat, Heidi, I didn't realize I had so much to say...:rofl:

Sum38
12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I need a xmas gift exchange idea, could you help me please?

I need to purchase 4 gifts for the family exchange. This year I decided to go with a food theme, since noone needs more junk. I bought a holiday tower filled with candy, fruit and popcorn from Harry and David's, next I ordered a tiramisu cheesecake from the cheesecake factory :drool:, third I got some Omaha filet mignon steaks (6), but I am one gift short. I was thinking about a Starbucks gift basket, but both my inlaws and BIL have the keurig system, so I don't think they want ordinary coffee products.

Any suggestions?

ETA: $50 max

newleaf123
12-03-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't know how those Keurig things work, but maybe you could get them a couple of wonderful mugs and a big tin of biscotti? Biscotti have a long shelf life so they could nibble them over time. This place in Pittsburgh has good biscotti, and they even have a tin you can buy (get the chocolate drizzled!). Yum...

http://www.enricobiscotti.com/index.php/bakery-online/product/39-biscotti-big-tin

Sum38
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
That looks yummy. A great idea. What flavor should I get it in? I was thinking about Hazel nut.

Mrs Snark
12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
*ignoring the biscotti, must not look*

I don't know why one grey hair is freaking me out, but it really did. I keep telling myself it is a beautiful shiny silver, but who can tell, it is only one single strand. I almost pulled it out, but ended up leaving it.

I actually LOVE my husband's grey in his hair and goatee. He has a baby face and it gives him a bit of gravitas. But I don't NEED gravitas, lol.

My mother is nearing 70 and doesn't have any grey, she is a true blue red head. I guess I was expecting the same for myself.

As for wrinkles, Kelijpa, I find taking out my contacts works wonders on those suckers. Also works on my self-done pedicure. Without my contacts my toes look AWESOME.

Mrs Snark
12-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Sum: I forgot to mention that I've received the pears from Harry and David and they were unbelievable. Sooooo good.

newleaf123
12-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I would go with the dark chocolate drizzle over almond biscotti. Oh yeah... Yum!

I remember being freaked out over my first gray... I found an inch long black hair on my chin today. Yikes!! Plucked that sucker instantly!

kelijpa
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Oh my, the whisker...I'm thinking electrolysis for that sucker, has to be cheap for just one hair right?!

I guess I should warn you it may come back...

soon2beskinnyCarma
12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I am so confused. Is there two December chat's going?
Grey Hairs, I got my first at 25. For the most part they stayed away for a long time after a co-worker told me to try taking Kale supplements. I now have a smattering of gray hair but with my short hair it blends well.
Chin Hairs: Thankfully none have shown. I hope that they stay away. I get my lip and eyebrow's waxed but am toying with the whole electrolysis thing.
Sum: I agree about the biscotti and coffee mugs. You can't go wrong with a biscotti flavor. Yum on the Harry and David's.

Well I got all my water in today and I did go out and exercise for 40 minute walk. I did not however eat exactly right. Someone brought donuts to my MIL this morning. I said if there were no Jelly donuts then it was a sign from God that I shouldn't have any. Big box stuffed with Jelly donuts. I had two seeing as it was a sign from God being in the box and all :rofl:.
I did count all my calories today. Over as expected with consuming 2 donuts but I am hoping that when I hit that total it will be the reality check I need.
I didn't weigh in as I had already eaten by the time I got home to shower. Will check in tomorrow. I am hoping to get out of work early. My new boss has been very supportive. I need to finish up a couple of things for my Mom's and I had wanted to get them done today but left my MIL's late and my Oil change took too long.

soon2beskinnyCarma
12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Okay including the family photo I chose to put on my Christmas Cards this year. Hopefully it fits as it is my first time including a picture.

newleaf123
12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
soon2bSkinny what a great family photo, and so nice to see you!! You look awesome!

Leeh
12-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi people! I have been encouraged in the introduction thread to pop in here. I am working at it slowly, one day at a time. Impatient for the day I can say I need new jeans. I am a home daycare provider and I find rest time to be snack time for me so I thought if I had an active forum to chat in I might get distracted. :)

newleaf123
12-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Welcome, Leeh!! So glad you have joined us, jump right in!

:welcome:

Sum38
12-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Carma the other thread is just a short challenge thread to keep us accountable during this holiday season. You can chat here or there or both :) -- A very nice picture of your family!!

Welcome Leeh!! This is a very nice group of 40-somethings!

Sum38
12-04-2013, 09:25 AM
I think I will order this http://www.enricobiscotti.com/index.php/bakery-online/product/38-biscotti-gift-basket for the exchange. It sounds really yummy. Thanks Heidi for the great idea.

Now I just need to figure out my nearly grown children. They keep saying "just cash" but they do need a few gifts :D I am thinking some clothing and cash.... Hubby is taken just about taken care off, except I'll get a few more things for his running hobby; he is doing 10k at a time late at night...I will get him a reflective vest and some better gloves and head gear. Practical aren't we, eh?

What are you getting for your family?

Leeh
12-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Hello :) My kids are boys almost 22 (20/12/1991) and almost 20 (04/2/1994) and a daughter who is 16. The boys are in university and live at home and my daughter is in high school.

For Christmas I think it is going to be mainly stocking stuffers and cash.

newleaf123
12-04-2013, 11:12 AM
It's so great that you got those biscotti, sum. I love the cranberry pistachio ones that are included in that selection! I hope your recipient loves the gift. They are a great, local, small business - thanks for supporting them!

Chanukah is behind us; our kids are a little younger than yours. My oldest got scuba lessons, my younger got volley ball equipment since he's planning to try out for the team this year. We also got tickets to a Pittsburgh Penguins game for the family, and assorted jerseys to go with them. Then, just little odds & ends...

Mrs Snark
12-04-2013, 11:49 AM
We are a very practical gift-giving family. My mom sent me the link to jersey pants on Amazon she wants. My dad wants a war movie, he also sent me the link to amazon.

I asked for yellow night vision glasses (they kind that cut glare when night driving), a foam roller and a foot massage ball, and running socks.

I wish we'd all just quit with the gifts since there are no surprises - we ask each other what we want and give exactly that. I'd rather we each bought our own gifts and showed each other what we got for ourselves (surprise!)!

Mrs Snark
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Welcome Leeh! Glad you are joining us!

What a nice family pic Carma!

Leeh
12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I forgot that I had done a few Groupons over the past month or so as stocking stuffers. Dinner is paid for a couple of date nights for the boys and their ladies.
Husband is tricky to shop for because he doesn't need anything much. He's a very fit guy so it will probably be exercise clothes. He just got 2 new pairs of shoes. Maybe a golf club or something. I wish I had the "love to exercise gene"

newleaf123
12-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Just got the Harry & David catalog in the mail... yummy stuff in there! I had forgotten all about Moose Munch; I used to love that stuff!

newleaf123
12-04-2013, 05:48 PM
So I have a very slim and attractive friend who has watched me lose 55 pounds and never said a word or paid a compliment. We have gotten together for lunch multiple times with other friends of *hers* and they have been all over me with compliments. They aren't even my friends, they are her friends. Her lack of comment, frankly, has led me to binge after getting together. Anyway... she is a good friend, generally, so I forgive her this oddity.

So, randomly I bumped into her at the supermarket this afternoon. She saw me from afar, and was incredibly complimentary, saying she almost didn't recognize me, it looks like I've lost even more weight than before (we all here know I haven't), etc etc. I don't know if she was trying to make up for lost chances, or if she truly only saw the weight loss in its totality for the first time.

Either way, it was nice. And I didn't binge when I got home ;)

Mrs Snark
12-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Heidi -- probably she overcame her own inner demons to finally compliment you. Good for her, too bad it took so long, but hey, we're all flawed. Maybe she is really insecure on the inside and was threatened by your weight loss?

It seems odd, but the most insecure people I've known are really gorgeous. And they are also really competitive, they can't seem to help it.

I'm glad your friend finally gave you recognition for all your hard work! And good job on breaking the binge habit!

So, I will give my left leg to the person who tells me where I put my can opener. What can I possibly have done with it?!?

Sum38
12-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Thinking of you Keli today. I hope all went well with your DH's procedure! :hug:

Sum38
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Heidi I totally agree with Mrs. S!

Sum38
12-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Just got the Harry & David catalog in the mail... yummy stuff in there! I had forgotten all about Moose Munch; I used to love that stuff!

Did you see the Moose Munch Bark at Harry & David catalog? Okay I make peppermint bark to die for, seriously!...maybe I need to add some moose munch bark to the mix?

newleaf123
12-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Moose munch bark sounds awesome!

Hope all went well today, kelijpa

Zumbachica
12-04-2013, 09:44 PM
SUM: there is a gourmet supermarket near me with great baskets filled with speciality stuff...like really good olive oil , balsamic vinegars, special imported pastas, etc. you could probably make up a basket like that yourself for 50 dollars ....I have a keurig but would still welcome a gift from starbucks, especially the really nice mugs they sell and the instant refreshers packets.....I think food is a great idea.....

Who is talking about grey hair? I unfortunately went gray with my second pregnancy, and I loathe having to color my hair. Its money and time at the salon ....I love my highlights, but covering the gray is tedious....but necessary. I envy those that go grey later in life (my sister).

Newleaf: I have a friend that has lost 40 lbs and I really can't tell. Maybe its because I never kept tabs on her body, I look at her beautiful face and eyes! Still, I feel guilty that I can't tell, but I compliment her on her determination and hard work. maybe your friend just didn't notice for whatever reason, or maybe she's just not a good friend....a little jealous maybe ? who knows...but don't look to other people to validate you. Its funny, when I lose weight the only people that notice are my students...I guess they're checking me out as I lunge with my butt towards them..LOL

All y'all have to say is bark..as long as it doesn't come off a tree I'll eat it. :)

Zumbachica
12-04-2013, 10:05 PM
i continue to stuggle and have a hard time...i'm crumbling under the stress of the move. I keep finding evidence of the past 23 years..today i found our cake top from our wedding....on top of all this packing madness i am having to deal with cable guys, alarm system people, movers, closet designers....Im a nervous wreck....there is no time to plan healthy meals, i just eat when i get a chance...im eating from stress...i'm eating...I'm gaining weight...its horrible.....

A friend of mine suggested juicing....she told me to make a juice out of kale, half a banana, berries, cinnamon and water. Sounds gross.....but it helps her keep the weight off....i can't wait to have some normalcy around here so i can focus on me.

kelijpa
12-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks it went well, he did great, had some effects from the anesthesia, but seems to be doing well. Ensconced in his recliner, it was so weird seeing him in the hospital situation, have renewed respect for nurses, they are awesome!

Best to all :sunny:

I guess I better get cracking on the Xmas gifts, I'm always behind...

Mrs Snark
12-05-2013, 06:54 AM
So glad to hear it went well Kelijpa! Hope your DH is a better recovering patient than mine is, mine was cranky, bossy, and demanding. He hates being sick or debilitated in any way. Like you, I admire those nurses!

Leeh
12-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Is anyone else having issues with emotions and holiday baking? I didn't buy any baking supplies this year (I don't even have any flour in the house) but so much of my traditions and memories are food related. I have my great grandmother's recipe box that I pull out every year for shortbread etc. I can't have it in the house because I will eat it but I am feeling cheated by not making it.
Could I be happy just baking it and giving it away? Can I resist? There aren't many weekends left for me to decide.

Sum38
12-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Leeh I bake my peppermint bark and I give it all away. I have a long list of friends who expect it each year and I can not disappoint them :)

newleaf123
12-05-2013, 09:02 AM
TooWicky are you out there?? I just saw your new avatar when I checked the weigh-in thread to see when my last weigh-in was. You are looking great!!

Leeh for me, those food emotions all came with Thanksgiving. I decided to just make what I always make, and enjoy it as a once-a-year type thing. I know that doesn't work for everyone. But for me, I like the tradition, I enjoyed the food, and I immediately got rid of or froze the leftovers.

Glad to hear things went well, kelijpa. What a relief! There is so much stress leading up to surgery, I'm sure a weight has been lifted.

In fact, I was scheduled for surgery myself today, come to think of it. It would have been a revision surgery for my reconstruction, and I canceled. I just couldn't will myself to get back up on the table again for something that is cosmetic at this point. I've decided to live with what I've got, although the opportunity to make better will always exist in the future.

Sum38
12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
That is a good idea as well Zumba. What I ended up doing; I ordered the smaller biscotti, added some Starbuck coffee made just for the Keurig and bought two cups from Starbucks. They look like SB's cups to go. I have one and I absolutely love mine.

Keli Glad to hear that all went well with your DH!

Zumba I am so sorry that you are so stressed out. Moving is not easy!!! Remember this too shall pass. :hug:

Leeh
12-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions :) I am thinking that I may have to see if I can make Newleaf123's suggestions work for me. Little bits without guilt rather than omitting it from our family table altogether. Maybe I could make half batches so there aren't so many platters on the go. The cookbook I am following does suggest using pizza dough instead of pie crust (way less fat) for meat pies so I think I am going to try that for my tourtière and sausage rolls.

newleaf123
12-05-2013, 09:30 AM
zumba, what you are going through sounds very difficult... I'm sure you are not crumbling, and are finding all sorts of inner strength you didn't know you have... It will be really good for you when you are unpacked in your new house and living a new life I'm sure. Soon enough, so just hang in there.

I'm really excited to pick up my new winter CSA today. It's from an Amish organic farm cooperative and looks really wonderful. They actually send a photo the night before of what you will be receiving the next day. Very different from how my last 2 CSAs have operated. Anyway... today I get to pick up, all organic:

tomato basil soup, puffed spelt, 1 lb black turtle beans, lettuce mix, porcelian garlic, green kale, candy onions, russet potatoes, turnips(mostly red , and a few purple too), and brussel sprouts

Not sure what I'll do with puffed spelt :dizzy: but for the rest, I'm good to go.

Leeh
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
zumba, what you are going through sounds very difficult... I'm sure you are not crumbling, and are finding all sorts of inner strength you didn't know you have... It will be really good for you when you are unpacked in your new house and living a new life I'm sure. Soon enough, so just hang in there.

I'm really excited to pick up my new winter CSA today. It's from an Amish organic farm cooperative and looks really wonderful. They actually send a photo the night before of what you will be receiving the next day. Very different from how my last 2 CSAs have operated. Anyway... today I get to pick up, all organic:

tomato basil soup, puffed spelt, 1 lb black turtle beans, lettuce mix, porcelian garlic, green kale, candy onions, russet potatoes, turnips(mostly red , and a few purple too), and brussel sprouts

Not sure what I'll do with puffed spelt :dizzy: but for the rest, I'm good to go.
We eat puffed spelt as a cereal here. Either cow or an alternate "milk".

Zumbachica
12-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi all..well I did it..i got on the scale..still not at the 150 mark which I was (and over that) all of last winter....but close enough....Today i'll be so busy I don't know if I'll have time to eat.....I also have to figure out how im going to move a 47 inch t.v. down a flight of stairs by myself.....ahhhh..the joys of being single....Need it downstairs because the cable guys are coming....

But first off to zumba...how I wish I could take a leave of absence from all my classes and just do what I need to do..but with Christmas coming I need the money.....and it is the only exercise i'm getting (other than carrying heavy boxes around)

okay enough of me whining......I'm glad that I finally got on the scale today and "m going to be mindful during all this holiday madness....You were all talking about baking...I won't be making my baklava this year..that would be my downfall. I'm going to bake for the kids but nothing major like Christmas from the past.....I wind up eating most of it...and I don't want to do that this year.....

honestly with the move and all I haven't thought much about Christmas...and I haven't even begun to shop for gifts..that is something else i'm keeping on the low this year....was thinking of taking the kids into manhattan instead for a play and nice dinner if I can get a decently priced hotel room.....that would make a nice memory...nicer than having a bunch of junk around the house that takes up space

I just want to thank all you ladies for all your support during this difficult time..the past year or so has been a doozy...I don't really share much about my personal life with others....most people have no clue that i'm divorced and moving....it has been a big help to come on here and share with you all...even if it isn't a subject directly related to weight..it sort of is....because I know I would be taking better care of myself if this wasn't going on in my life.....

so HUGS to you all .....

Zumbachica
12-05-2013, 10:27 AM
PS... the site wont' let me update my ticker correctly...so my Christmas gift is on the beach...bahahahahaahahahah

Leeh
12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Sorry, Zumbachica for seeming insensitive with my baking comments. I just joined and didn't realise all the hard stuff you've been going through. I will hope that things get easier for you over then next bit.

Moving a 47" tv solo sounds like something I would attempt and then be sorry for attempting later. I hope you have long arms to span it.

Sum38
12-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Leeh, I am sure Zumba does not mind me saying this...don't worry!! We are here for eachother in "sickness and health". We cover a wide margin of issues; some light hearted and some heart felt. But the most important thing, we are here for each other :love:. I have really learned to love each one of my 40-something ladies.

Sum38
12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
And for Zumba; I love you girlfriend!

Sum38
12-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Zumba I like, no I LOVE your Manhattan idea! -- My DH will be home for 17 days between Christmas and New Year and you gave me an idea!!! I have been wrecking my brain what to get these two kids that have everything.... there is nothing they want. I asked them to give me a Christmas list and they could not come up with anything. -- I just spent $300 on a high end teenager store for some clothing for my son, he said just tell me to check my closet on xmas morning...lol...I was going to give some $$$ to them, but a trip may be a great idea! Something that they are not expecting. -- They expect their annual ski trip out west, therefore that is not really a gift...lol!! BUT NYC would be! Or Florida. -- NYC would be a "working" trip because kids need their passports (Finnish) renewed and we could do a few shows, go act goofy on front of NBC studio with big signs etc. -- I am getting excited. Thanks Zumba!! Maybe you and I could meet up and do some retail therapy??

newleaf123
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Leeh, I am sure Zumba does not mind me saying this...don't worry!! We are here for eachother in "sickness and health". We cover a wide margin of issues; some light hearted and some heart felt. But the most important thing, we are here for each other :love:. I have really learned to love each one of my 40-something ladies.

DITTO THIS

newleaf123
12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Sum, we do trips in place of gifts a lot, for the same reasons. Plus, as zumba said, those gifts are the ones that create memories -- moreso than a sweater LOL

Mrs Snark
12-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Zumba - hang in there. Maybe you could get some Luna bars (or something like those) to keep in your purse so you've got something to eat when you are so busy!

guacamole
12-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Hello all! Hugs to everyone, special shout out to Zumba!

I've been doing my physical therapy, exercising my leg, and catching up on doctor's appointments I wasn't able to take care of while in a cast.

Still not on track, although things could always be worse. Clocking between 1400-1800 calories per day, when I need to be between 1200-1500. Feeling annoyed that I can't do fat burning cardio yet. I've been pushing myself hard, and am sore by the end of the day, which I know is not good.

Anyway, I just needed to make my mark here to symbolize to myself that I am still committed to weight loss and good health!

Have a great day, everyone!

kelijpa
12-05-2013, 05:27 PM
:hug: Zumba, wishing you the best through your tough times, moving sucks, you'll get through, stay strong.

Leeh, there are lots of emotions tied up with holiday baking for me, I couldn't give it up, a long time ago I had to make the decision and stick to it that baking is for holidays and really special occasions and those treats are mostly for others. We freeze a lot of the cookies we get from others, there's nothing finer than a Xmas cookie later in the winter when you're not inundated with sugary stuff.

Guac, good job/good luck with the PT, I like your "making your mark to symbolize your commitment"

:sunny:

newleaf123
12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Guac so glad you checked in! Hang tight, chica, you'll get there!

mezmerelda
12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Hello! I've seen at least one of you in another area. I'm newly posting, although I've lurked on and off for quite a few years. :)

Ah, holiday baking. What can I say? I love baking, but I'm glad I have no time right now. Although I am a bit of a food pusher in my office right now. We're having a holiday decorating contest, and I feel like my group needed cookies to help out. I had a hard boiled egg. :)

Keurig people might like one of those cups you can use with your own coffee in the Keurig. The Green people like them too, as they leave you with less waste.

Sum38
12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Happy last night of Hanukkah!

Chubby mum
12-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Hi everyone, I've been missing the last week but I'm back! There's been a mild saga but all is well. Last Saturday I was feeding the baby and noticed a brand new, black mole on my toe. It was regular but had black/blue parts to it and generally looked scary. I have had a childhood in the sun and although I've been very careful for the last 20 years I didn't wear sunscreen or many clothes as a child! I have quite olive skin and I have quite a few moles but haven't had any new ones for ages and my old ones are fading somewhat. Generally, you're supposed to stop getting new ones by your 30s. Skin cancer in Australia is huge and melanoma is very nasty and aggressive.

Anyway, given my tendency to over react I showed DH, who was really worried but tried to reassure me saying that if my toe needed to be amputated it wasn't an "important" one and I'd still be able to run. He organised a dermatologist review on mon who agreed it looked dodgy and removed it and sent it to the lab.

I spent the days waiting for the results thinking about all the things I wanted to do with the kids and how I'd taken watching them grow up for granted and reflecting on how petty most of the things that I normally fret about are. I also did a lot of laundry!

Anyway, I found out today that all is well. Pregnancy can apparently result in new moles so it was probably just that. It's a good reminder about sun safety though. My children have very olive skin and while I always put sunscreen on for swimming I'm back to reapplying the 50 plus twice a day and insisting on rash vests in the pool.

I haven't been able to run all week- the nurse said to give it a week's rest after the biopsy and while I thought it was looking ok yesterday I decided it was probably not worth aggravating it before I knew whether or not I'd need wider margins taken (which the dermatologist thought was very likely). I never lose my pregnancy weight without running and I haven't this week though I haven't gained any either. I'll do a nice big hill run tomorrow.

When I had my appointment the doctor was running late (and I was an add on anyway) so DH looked after all four kids for about two hours (with a feed break for the baby). He booked the big V operation the following morning.

Sorry about lack of personals but I'm on my phone.

Kate

newleaf123
12-06-2013, 07:37 AM
chubbyMummy I'm so glad all is well with your toe! I know someone who had melanoma on her nose; quite scary. I've had more breast cancer and ovarian cancer biopsies than I can count... I know what it's like. And especially the waiting. Funny re your DH and V.

Welcome, mezmerelda!!

156.9 this AM. I'm feeling good but vigilant.

Leeh
12-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Hello everyone :)
Tonight is the dreaded dinner at husband's boss's house. She is a tiny little Celine Dion wannabee who makes me feel like a clumsy elephant. It doesn't help that I have self-esteem issues around being a home daycare provider and she is a successful career woman. I always feel inferior. I go to these things with dread, eat like a bird so people don't judge me (I know it is in my head) and then go home and binge because I feel like crap.

newleaf123
12-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Awwww, leeh, it'll be alright... Good luck tonight and try to enjoy yourself!

Sum38
12-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Chubby mum I am glad that your mole turned out to be benign. I just had 22 of those suckers removed last year.

Leeh I know the feeling. :hug: Try to enjoy yourself.

mezmerelda :welcome3:

guacamole How is the boot treating you?

Heidi Woot on your new low!

:wave: to Keli and Mrs S.

Sum38
12-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Happy Independence Day to Finland! -- As many of you know I was born and raised over in Finland. -- We are celebrating the day at our local Finnish Center with some dinner, guest speaker and I believe we'll have some dancing too ;) -- I plan on enjoying the dinner without any guilt as well. I don't get to have Finnish foods that often, so it will be a treat. It will be mostly fish, some meat and vegetable casseroles. Healthy stuff.

I am wearing my sparkly gold and silver sequin dress, it is a party after all :D And gold shoes!!!! I will shine like a Christmas tree...lol

I am still feeling a tad bit crummy, but I'll try to squeeze my walk in and if I have stamina, my weight lifting routine.

mezmerelda
12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
That sounds like a great day! I hope you enjoy wearing your sparkly outfits.

I am Finnish, but haven't ever been. It's on my short list of places to visit, so I'm hoping to get out there w/in the next 5 years.

In final prep stages for our holiday party this weekend. DH's side is Jewish, my side is not, so we call it Christmanukkah Kwanzadan to cover all the bases. I will be breaking from my week of South Beach tomorrow and probably Sunday, then I will be back into it on Monday. I think I need to go find a sparkly top to wear today.

I hope everyone is feeling better and has a great day!

newleaf123
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Christmanukkah Kwanzadan
Love it!!

I'd like to spend more time in Scandinavia... so pretty! I've been to Sweden twice and Denmark once, all on business. Would love to get back there. Although... I just looked Scandinavia up, and see that Finland isn't part of it. Shows what I know about world geography... Happy Independence Day!!

Ack... just did a little reading on it. I had no idea that Finland was once part of Russia. I must have been absent that day in school... It is great that you are educating your children so much on their heritage; clearly the American education system isn't covering it. :dizzy:

Mrs Snark
12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
I am having a horrific morning. I took some pain meds (tramadol) last night (for my back and hip) and ended up sick as as a dog through the wee hours of the morning which triggered a migraine that only made things worse. I am now improving, but this morning as been hellish to say the least.

Plus, I was hoping for a better weigh-in this week (I weigh on Fridays), but was back up to 146, which I will admit is a tiny bit dispiriting. Sigh.

Welcome mezmerelda (love your screen name, so fun to say out loud, my dogs are all looking at me quizzically as I say "mezmerelda" over and over, lol)!

Sum -- Happy Independent Finland Day! I bet you look downright gorgeous in your dress!

Kate -- I'm so glad the mole was benign. I had melanoma, so I know how scared you were. I have quite the big ugly scars x 3 from the resulting surgery (including removal of lymph nodes from under both arms) and can count myself verrrrrrryyy lucky that I am currently "no evidence of disease". I grew up on the beaches of Florida and was a super tan little kid. Nobody knew back then.

Mrs Snark
12-06-2013, 04:15 PM
leeh -- Hang in there. I wish I had magical advice but all I can say is that I know what that feels like and it will be over soon. Like going to the dentist. Plan a meal for when you get home so you don't binge. Make it something satisfying but on plan, that way you'll have something to look forward to.

mezmerelda -- I just saw in your bio that you have Greater Swiss Mountain dogs! How awesome! I used to have Great Pyrenees dogs (they passed a few years ago from old age, and I've since downsized my rescue dogs). I miss those big lugs! You'll have to post a photo of your furry kids, I'd love to see them!

mezmerelda
12-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Mrs Snark - those pain killers suck. I hope you're better soon. I LOVE Pyrs! One of my good friends out in West Va has 2, and works with the rescue. I run a crazy dog person forum, which I guess makes me a crazy dog lady??

On another note, I would love to see 146 on the scale if I weighed myself...

Almost time to go home!

kelijpa
12-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey everyone, getting late, I'll check in again tomorrow. Not a lot of sleep here, DH napped off and on during the day, poor guy, he seemed really good for a few hours tonight so getting better, the Drs. office called to check on him, she talked to him and said what he's experiencing is normal, so that was good to hear.

Ice and then snow coming in, glad I got to the grocery today, I hate ice...

ChubbyMum I was wondering where you were, glad it came back normal, my mom had some skin cancer removed near the top of her nose, it's scary stuff, she grew up out west, Colorado and California. I worry about myself, too, I remember blisters on my shoulders from the sun, seemed like that happened to kids all the time when I was growing up, just seemed normal.

Mrs Snark, so sorry to hear about your pain and reaction to the meds, that totally sucks, I know I don't have to tell you that, but felt the need to express it.

Mezmerelda, that is a great moniker, welcome :D

Sum, have fun, happy indepence day! I have a big world map downstairs that my friend gave me for Xmas last year, I'll have to take a look at it after reading NewLeaf's post, so I know for sure where Finland is. I think I do.

Leeh, best of luck with the dinner, I know what you mean about some people making you feel bigger than you really are, some people send me right back to being a 13 year old clumsy, ugly duckling, some kind of magical powers...

Well, I guess I had more to say than I thought...best to all :sunny:

We have a slightly nutty little cocker spaniel mix rescue dog, sometimes I wish he was a nice calm big guy :D but I love him awful.

newleaf123
12-07-2013, 11:18 AM
mrsSnark how are you feeling today? I hope you are on the mend...

On the topic of pets, we have a rescue cat. He spent his first few years at a friendly and loving cat hoarder's house, but when she died, her daughter took over the house and neglected the cats. They were "raided" out. We've had him for 6 years now. He is on a diet too.

Mrs Snark
12-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys, I am on the mend, no more tramadol for me, ever. I'm going to have to make a doc appt and see what other options are available I guess.

I had lovely dog walks this morning, then Mr. Snark and I biked around to neighborhood garage sales. He bought a tape measure for 50 cents because we only have, like, 20 of those at the house and apparently 20 just isn't enough. I guess when the zombie apocalypse finally occurs he thinks measuring things will be really important. I'm not convinced.

Sadly, I found nothing for myself.

It sounds like we are a real pet-friendly group here, I want to encourage everyone to share a pic of their kitty/doggy/pony/chicken whatever you've got!

newleaf123
12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Changed my avatar for you, MrsSnark. The photo of me is over a year old, so I was at least 10 pounds heavier than I am now, and sadly, I have since lost those glasses... But I like the picture and had fun finding just the right one for you...

Mrs Snark
12-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Awwwwwww Heidi, that is a GREAT pic, what a beautiful kitty!

newleaf123
12-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Okay, I looked it up. I was 15 pounds heavier than today in that picture. I think I look pretty much the same though.

kelijpa
12-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Cuties!!

Leeh
12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Hey everyone! I hope those who are under the weather are feeling better soon.
Last night's dinner was actually fairly easy not to over eat at. She had it catered and the food was fairly blah. I stuck to sparkling water (we never drink at work functions and when you see how others behave it reinforces why)

The thing that stuck out the most to me was the boss (who is a tiny french Canadian woman about 48 or so, attractive with OTT mannerisms) anyway she was talking about forcing kids to eat their plates and how if she is away visiting somewhere and doesn't like the food she has no problem not eating for a few days. I nearly choked on my water when she then said she lives on poutine (fries covered in cheese curds and gravy) I have another reason to hate her now.

Mrs Snark
12-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Leeh -- I worked with a teeny, tiny gal who mostly ate Dr. Pepper (regular, not diet) and M-n-Ms. That's it. She must have occasionally had something else or she would have died of scurvy I imagine, but that's all I ever saw her eat. I will say she seemed to eat it all in tiny amounts, though. A big bag of M-n-Ms would last her forever, weeks maybe. It would have lasted me 5 minutes at most. Maybe the boss lady eats tiny plates of poutine.

Leeh
12-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Leeh -- I worked with a teeny, tiny gal who mostly ate Dr. Pepper (regular, not diet) and M-n-Ms. That's it. She must have occasionally had something else or she would have died of scurvy I imagine, but that's all I ever saw her eat. I will say she seemed to eat it all in tiny amounts, though. A big bag of M-n-Ms would last her forever, weeks maybe. It would have lasted me 5 minutes at most. Maybe the boss lady eats tiny plates of poutine.

My thin sister is like that. She eats what she wants just tiny bits. If I ever reach goal I tell myself that is how I will eat but I will need to fix my binge issues first. She orders kid meals from McDonalds and doesn't finish the fries because she is "full" I barely know what being full feels like.

When I was my thinnest I was a starving student. I should just revert to that diet and use the money saved on a new wardrobe. :p

Sum38
12-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I hope your back is better Mrs S!

Sum38
12-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I am getting a new closet! Woot! This house we moved into lacks some serious closet space. My DH is building me a full length wall closet. I think he started feeling bad for my clothes to be jammed and cramped in :) So the 4th bedroom will be my walk in closet :woohoo: I am excited because right now I don't even know what I have clothing wise. I was thinking about doing an inventory...lol that I could "find" things. Plus I want to hang all my size 6, the bait clothes, up that I can get motivated with this weight loss. If I see them there tempting me, perhaps I will get my butt in gear with this weight loss thing.

I feel really heavy right now :( I don't know how many of you read the challenge thread, I posted there my plan for the week to mix things up and get that scale moving.

Mrs Snark
12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Here are a couple pics of my Pyrenees, Rumble and Katie. When you remember I'm over 5'9 and not a small person it gives you a sense of scale for them.

Sorry about picture size, I can't figure out how to make them a bit smaller on this page...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p9pLrZdqcv4/UqSBQwC1IhI/AAAAAAAABRk/S9ZNnQhHf9Q/w326-h318-no/dawgs.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9sDEQt4bJBw/UqSB-2njskI/AAAAAAAABSE/4svtnLxnkuo/w800-h600-no/1rumble.jpg

Mrs Snark
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
I hope your back is better Mrs S!

Yes, it is better, thanks so much! It is unfortunately a chronic thing that I have all the time, but can flare up extra bad some days.

That is so exciting about the closet!! We have a tiny closet, it sucks. Your clothes are going to love to have breathing room.

It sounds like you have a good exercise plan for the week -- I got tired reading it, lol. :)

newleaf123
12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Beautiful dogs, and beautiful mrsSnark!

kelijpa
12-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Gorgeous! My little guy is probably about as big as one of their noses! Lol, he's the smallest dog I've ever had, have to figure out how to post a pic again...my cousin has one of those teeny, tiny dogs, not sure what breed he is, I think he's like 3 pounds, he could get stuck between their toes! I would love a big dog like that.

Sum38
12-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Oh Mrs. S those puppies are adorable!!!!!!

We have a medium sized (70 lbs) lab mix. She came to us at around 18 months old. She was severly abused and considered unadobtable. She was so happy to have a home that she did everything we asked her to do and it is absolutely the best behaved dog I know. She is the baby of the family. If I did not have her, I would not walk as much as I do. And days like today, I will guilty that she won't get her walk in because I get home too late from the FCA. -- Well make up for it tomorrow with a 5 mile walk :) -- She is getting old (nearly 9) that she prefers not to go out every day, 5 days per week is her limit.

I love reading your furbaby stories!!

Leeh
12-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Here was our Pyr as a puppy (https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/574921_10151736351254942_324275835_n.jpg) she isn't with us anymore but she was much loved and she made it to 13.

Leeh
12-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Here was our Pyr as a puppy (https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/574921_10151736351254942_324275835_n.jpg) she isn't with us anymore but she was much loved and she made it to 13.
Your dogs are gorgeous, Mrs Snark.

Mrs Snark
12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys for complimenting my previous furbabies. I do so miss them.

Sum - your lab is so lucky to have found you! I love the side benefit of walking alot as well, and my dogs do love to walk!

Kelijpa - While I do miss these giant kids, because they were AWESOME, we downsized after we lost them. At the same time we had the Great Pyrs we also had a German Shepherd, and Mini Schnauzer, and 2 cats.

I really like having animals, lol. All those kids are now gone, and man is it tough to lose so many furbabies.

Now I now have a female Westie, rescued from the local pound, a male terrier-of-unknown-origin, that I rescued when the state shut down one of those awful puppy mill places. And my newest guy, a 13 year-old mini schnauzer who was also at the local pound. I was only supposed to foster this last guy, but of course we fell in love with him and he's staying with us.

Mrs Snark
12-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Ohhhhh Leeh, so adorable! She's SO cute! Pyrs are just unbelievable cute when babies! I can't believe you are a fellow pyr owner! Awesome!

Leeh
12-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Ohhhhh Leeh, so adorable! She's SO cute! Pyrs are just unbelievable cute when babies! I can't believe you are a fellow pyr owner! Awesome!

We haven't replaced, Tea. She passed away in 2009 and it was really hard on us. You know she was a natural guardian dog. One day we were walking and my daughter was about 2. A stranger was walking towards us and Tea knocked my daughter over and stood over her until he walked by. No growl or bark just standing, alert. We had a large inground pool and Tea would just patrol the perimeter the whole time the kids were in the water. Some people are scared of big dogs but I find them to be the best around kids.

I am feeling like I am ready for another dog but the kids are all growing up (oldest is doing a Masters, middle is in 3rd year engineering and youngest is in her next to last year of high school)

We have been looking at rescues instead of another puppy.

I was at a party a few months ago with the most beautiful Bernese Pyr combo.

Leeh
12-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Now I've just spent time going over a rescue page that has tears streaming. I don't know how people can take on pets and then treat them so horribly. I guess it is the same as I can't understand how people have children only to abuse them.

newleaf123
12-09-2013, 11:02 AM
What a cutie!

mezmerelda
12-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Thinking about how some people treat dogs will make me cry for hours. It will also make me angry and want to punch people.

I will post some pics of my dogs soon. I have to make it to 25 posts before I can put links in here.

Our holiday party was Saturday. It made me home sick for my old area around 3 hours away, which is weird. I'm officially and fully on SB phase 1 today after the weekend. I put on a pair of jeans that had been slightly tight when I bought them the weekend before, and they fit perfectly. That tells me that SB is working, even after a few days. That's what I needed. :)

Mrs Snark
12-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Congrats mezmerelda -- I bet it was great to actually FEEL the progress! I love when clothes fit differently and get loose, it always feels so magical!

Mrs Snark
12-10-2013, 10:13 AM
My mind can't quite grasp that I have only 3 more weigh-ins in 2013. The end of the year sure is coming up fast!

mezmerelda
12-10-2013, 11:48 AM
OK, 25 posts!

Here's Indy. She's a 5yo Swissy, almost 6, and is my Girldog. She was intended to be a show dog (pushed by the breeder), but does not like strangers. Once she knows you, she's the sweetest cuddle dog there is. But if she doesn't know you, she'll bark at you. It's always fun when a 100lb dog barks at strangers.

http://compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/mez/GalApr2012/071.JPG?m=1364679978

This is Ozzy. He is 3, and is crazy. He's small for a Swissy boy at around 115lbs. He was trained as a therapy dog, but has a very strong prey drive and likes to herd a bit aggressively (as in eating the sheep from the tail up). So, no more therapy work for Ozzy since I can't be sure of his behavior with other dogs.
http://compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/mez/GalApr2012/082.JPG?m=1364679986

This is Bowser - he's 4. I picked him up as an owner surrender in April. We were supposed to foster for about a month, then help him find a new home, but we failed and kept him. I'm ok with this type of failure. He had been with a family for his entire life, but they said their 2yo had allergies, and they had another baby due any moment. I think it just because too much for them. I try not to judge them, as they did it the right way and sent him to breed rescue. But he was so trusting getting into my car, then so confused with what was going on that it just makes me upset. He was obviously well loved, although he had been a bit neglected for about 6 months prior to coming home with me. As in he hadn't been brushed or walked. His nails were super long, and he was a ginormous tube sock that had about 20 lbs to lose, and he couldn't move very well. He's good now. :)
http://compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/mez/December-2013/048.JPG?m=1385935589

Here are all 3. Ozzy and Indy in the back, and Bowser up in front.
http://compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/mez/December-2013/020.JPG?m=1385935442

Sum38
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
mezmerelda Congrats on your 25 posts :D Your puppies are so cute!! I just love animals. -- I would like to have another dog, but because Shadow was so abused, she does not do well with other dogs. So she is our only furbaby.

Heidi My biscotti came :) I ended up ordering the tin (it is huge) and I bought two Starbucks water cups to go with it. Thank you for the idea!

Mrs Snark
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
OMG mezmerelda, what gorgeous photos and what gorgeous dogs!!! Just spectacular! Really fantastic photography that captures their personality and beauty! Your house must be LOTS and LOTS of fun!

Mrs Snark
12-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Taking a break from scrubbing exterior windows and bahama shutters. I shouldn't complain about the outdoor work, it is beautiful out today, 83 and under 60% humidity -- feels like fall in Florida!

Sum38
12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
It is c-o-l-d here in Michigan. I am trying to talk myself into my daily walk. Even Shadow is not asking to go out; her bed is warm and cozy :)

mezmerelda
12-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks!

I would give a lot of things for 80 degrees right now. It's a balmy 17 here, although w/wind chill, it feels like 1. My dogs are just going to have to wait a few days. Thankfully, they seem lazy (still recovering from the weekend) too.

kelijpa
12-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Mezmerelda, I second Mrs Snark, gorgeous photos and dogs, just lovely, makes me miss the green grass, too! I'm seriously missing the rail trail, it's only the beginning of winter, too...yikes

Wow, yeah, 21 days left, yikes again :D

idahogirl4
12-11-2013, 12:37 AM
A thread with dog pics- my kind of thread! Leeh thank you for looking for rescues. They are wonderful dogs.

Nice pictures everyone. Beautiful dogs!

Leeh
12-11-2013, 07:54 AM
*sings*
Oh there's nothing like gastro for the holidays

I'm just 25 stomach viruses from my goal weight.

newleaf123
12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Beautiful dogs, mesmerelda, wow!

LOL leeh

I went out for a walk yesterday; it was 20, snowing, and with bitter wind. Didn't go quite as far as usual, but felt good for getting out.

Sum38
12-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Heidi I am waiting for that snow!! We were supposed to get upto 3 inches today but it is missing us again. But it is bitter cold out there. I think we as well do a shorter walk, maybe 3.5 miles. I am afraid that Shadow's paws get frost bitten.

I am still in bed :o I had a few pretty emotional days and night before last night, I did not sleep, so I am making up for it. Beauty of having older kids who have a late start school days.

I do have a busy day planned...first a walk and house cleaning and then gym and finally off to the FCA; I have a little work to do and a board meeting later on at night. -- No rest for the wicked.

I absolutely adore my new closet :dizzy: I stand there and admire my clothes :rofl: I "found" so many WHBM tops I forgot I had with tags still on them...crazy -- Funny how I used to take my big walk in closet for granted.

Okay off to my walk I go....

Mrs Snark
12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Leeh - Oh no, hope you get better quick!

Sum - how fantastic to discover "new" clothes! All I'd discover in my closet are broken clothespins and warped hangers!

Heidi - hang in there, a rough day here and there is unavoidable, but survivable!

Mrs Snark
12-11-2013, 11:49 AM
A thread with dog pics- my kind of thread! Leeh thank you for looking for rescues. They are wonderful dogs.

Nice pictures everyone. Beautiful dogs!

It sounds like you may have rescue dogs yourself, what kind do you have?

Here is an xmas-themed photo of my darling Westie Bailey (rescued from the pound 3 years ago).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/looky-here/a1.jpg

mezmerelda
12-11-2013, 12:49 PM
What a cute face on that pup!

I put either Musher's Secret or Bag Balm on the dog's paws during extremes (head or cold). It helps protect against the salt for sure. Not sure it would help w/frost bite, though.

I am having a stressful week, which sets off my craving for sugar even though in general, I have no appetite. If there's no sugar around when I'm stressed, I tend not to eat. Neither reaction is good.

Here are a couple of silly holiday dog pics. These were attempts for the holiday card, but none made it in.

http://www.compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/dogs/indyozzy.jpg?m=1386780048

http://www.compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/dogs/ozzyoops.jpg?m=1386780047

http://www.compnetco.com/gallery3/var/resizes/simon/dogs/bowserhat.jpg?m=1386780050

Mrs Snark
12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
mezmerelda -- precious photos, love them!

Speaking of dogs, all mine got baths today and I groomed them with the clippers a bit, too. It was exhausting, I have no idea how I managed in the past with much bigger dogs, but 3 little terriers did me in today. They are so darn squirmy!

Trying to finish xmas shopping, and not quite done yet. Want to put that task to bed, but it keeps dragggging on.

newleaf123
12-11-2013, 08:07 PM
All these dog photos.... so cute!! I grew up with dogs (and cats, ponies, horses, sheep, and geese) but I'm more of a cat person. :crazy:

Zumbachica
12-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Hello everyone....Everybody is posting dog pics ....I enjoyed reading about your fur babies....unfortunately I can't do the same...never had a dog....always wanted one.

Anyhoo today was a big day..Im officially moved in..woot woot......
Things went smoothly for the most part...except for my grandfather clock breaking.....but its all done.I'm surrounded by tons of boxes and everything is in disarray....its awful.....I'll be very busy getting things under control the next few days or should I say weeks?? Anyhooo I'm not eating a lot but im not eating well either...I packed my scale so i'm not sure how much I weigh.....

Leeh
12-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Good luck with the unpacking and settling in.

newleaf123
12-12-2013, 07:53 AM
zumba I'm glad your move is behind you. Good days ahead, I know it! :sunny:

mezmerelda
12-12-2013, 11:11 AM
If I had cat pics, I'd post a few. Unfortunately, I'm very allergic and not around them much. I can provide pictures of dogs, horses, goats, wolves, people and places.

I really think today should be Friday. Too much stress going on this week, and I could use a weekend. Have been good and haven't cheated, and my pants fit better.

newleaf123
12-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Have been good and haven't cheated, and my pants fit better.

Awesome!! :carrot:

Sorry to hear about your cat allergies... my husband and younger son are both allergic -- although obviously only mildly. They have found ways to co-exist. My neighbor is terribly allergic so I know what that's like, and I feel for you...

Sum38
12-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I got my gym in early :woohoo:. I do not like working out this early; the gym is filled with moms...lol But it is too cold to go for a walk, my lungs feel like they are bursting when I go outside and I am worried for Shadow's paws.

I had a nice boardmeeting at the FCA. I think I was able to convince the board to reduce their dues for the elderly folks. We lost nearly 25% of our active members last year, and when I called them, their biggest reason was the price of the current dues. -- The dues are not our main income. It would be nice to have a large member base.... Sorry I could carry on on this topic for ever and ever :rofl:

Zumba I am happy that your move is behind...sorry about your clock! :( -- Now you can focus on your new life!

mezmerelda Congrats on your pants fitting better! I wish mine did :D I am maintaining at the moment. I don't think I am eating poorly, I just feel I am not getting in enough exercise.

Heidi I love cats. We used to have two; George, the curious one, and Iggy (Igor), really lovable but dumb one. Iggy got kidney cancer at the age of 4 and had to be put to sleep. He was a big tabby cat that wasted away next to nothing. We had to give George away to my DH's brother because my DS was/is deathly allergic to cats. George lived a long and happy life and he was well loved by my BIL. -- My DS is not allergic to dogs. So we are dog people now :)

Michelle Re: Xmas shopping; I am done what comes to everyone else but my son and I have NO IDEA what to get a 17 year old that has everything. -- I think I will go and get some clothes and then give him a check.

Hi Leeh

Leeh
12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Hello :)
so I've been wondering where the first place you notice weight loss is? Mine is a stupid area that I hate. It is right above the pubis and under the lowest part of my abdominal pannus. So I end up with a loose, saggy part of my jeans that looks really dumb.

I also have horrible turkey neck so I find weight loss on the neck area ages me.

mezmerelda
12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
The first place I feel it is in my waist - probably because I pay most attention to the way my pants fit. :)

Once I'm doing pretty well and it's regular, I notice it more in the chest, sadly.

kelijpa
12-13-2013, 09:01 AM
I think I got it. Me and the little dog after a walk

Sum38
12-13-2013, 09:22 AM
What a cute picture Keli!

Leeh, I don't have one area that I notice at first, I tend to lose all over as I gain all over. I guess my belly feels bigger right now, so if I had to pick one area it definitely would be my belly area. My back seems to lose the slowest.

mezmerelda
12-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Happy Friday!

Sum38
12-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Happi Friday to you :)

newleaf123
12-13-2013, 11:15 PM
kelijpa great photo, there's a lot of love!!

Mrs Snark
12-14-2013, 12:59 PM
What an adorable pic kelijpa, LOVE IT!

kelijpa
12-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks, he was snowy dog today! Snowy, snow, snow, now windy, glad it's bed time, can't go out anyway, it's about 14 degrees...

newleaf123
12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
So on the question of where we gain weight... I've had this realization, and especially as I allowed the scale to drift up... I used to gain and lose weight first in my breasts, which gave me a little wiggle room vis a vis how pants fit. But now that I have no breast tissue, I seem to have no choice but to pack it on straight to my pear area. With this knowledge now, maybe it will help me to keep to the straight and narrow.

Sum38
12-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I thought that my (general) condition was pretty good; I have been walking and party rocking the elliptical at ease.... until I started step aerobics; yikes. I am totally out of shape for it. The competitive side of me wants to get better and I am planning on attending to 3 classes per week. -- I have serious DOMS and today at the begining of the class I thought I was not going to be able to do it, but I loosened up and finished the class. Yay me.

We got some snow, and I love how everything looks. We took our walk (hike) through snowy woods whilst it was snowing, it was beautiful!

I hope everyone is staying warm!!

idahogirl4
12-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I have five kids. Yesterday I made Rice Krispie treats, popcorn balls, and other things for Christmas. It has been hard not to snack. It is frustrating sometimes. I can't wait for the holidays to be over.

Sum38
12-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Luckily my kids are not into cookies. I bake my peppermint bark and give it away, so we have no extra cookies around the house. Stay strong my friend!! Each time you pass up a temptation, you'll thank yourself later.

newleaf123
12-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Five kids, idahoGirl - wow! I can't imagine... 2 here, and a cat. (And a husband, too!)

Leeh
12-16-2013, 09:20 AM
So on the question of where we gain weight... I've had this realization, and especially as I allowed the scale to drift up... I used to gain and lose weight first in my breasts, which gave me a little wiggle room vis a vis how pants fit. But now that I have no breast tissue, I seem to have no choice but to pack it on straight to my pear area. With this knowledge now, maybe it will help me to keep to the straight and narrow.

I have lots of boob room to lose so I wouldn't mind that. We went to a Christmas party yesterday and I was wearing my black dress pants but my 16 year old daughter told me to change because I had "saggy crotch" That is the stupidest place to lose weight. I still need the old size to be able to button them up but they are baggy lower down.

I thought that my (general) condition was pretty good; I have been walking and party rocking the elliptical at ease.... until I started step aerobics; yikes. I am totally out of shape for it. The competitive side of me wants to get better and I am planning on attending to 3 classes per week. -- I have serious DOMS and today at the begining of the class I thought I was not going to be able to do it, but I loosened up and finished the class. Yay me.

We got some snow, and I love how everything looks. We took our walk (hike) through snowy woods whilst it was snowing, it was beautiful!

I hope everyone is staying warm!!

I used to love step class. I suck horribly at the choreography but it is so fun.

I have five kids. Yesterday I made Rice Krispie treats, popcorn balls, and other things for Christmas. It has been hard not to snack. It is frustrating sometimes. I can't wait for the holidays to be over.

At the party mentioned above they had lots of treats. I just stayed away from the table. My kids have been complaining that I haven't baked my regular stuff. I made some lemon squares and vanilla fudge and that is about it.

Mrs Snark
12-16-2013, 09:32 AM
I lost alot in my boobs -- first place it went but I still have a gut, and it doesn't look to be going anywhere at all. Meanwhile, my hands and wrists are gaunt and look veiny and old. Weightloss is so weird. What can we do?

Christmas shopping ALMOST done. Christmas cards will be done today and out in the mail by morning (fingers crossed).

Party planning in full swing for our yearly big bash this coming weekend (for a big night time boat parade that goes by our house) and I'm LOADED with anxiety. In addition to the huge party, my husband's family will be staying that day and over night with us.

I swear my social anxiety has gotten so much worse over the years. I'm trying to just fake my way through all this like I actually think this is fun, but I'm miserable and sick in my stomach. And this much non-specific anxiety over a stupid party makes me feel dumb on top of the sick. These are the moments in life I wish I weren't such a weirdo and could handle this stuff better. One on one with people I'm fine, but parties -- particularly parties that I have to throw -- are so not my thing.

I am such a natural hermit, if it weren't for my husband I would go nowhere and just hang with my dogs and read all the time (and be online of course!).

Later this week I'll be making food out the ying yang, joy joy! We have meatball and sausage subs and pasta salad on the menu, so I'll have a whole day of hand making meatballs on Friday. Simply.Can't.Wait.

I'm rambling, sorry.

Calgon take me awwwwwwwaaayyyyyyyyyy..... (remember those commercials?)

Leeh
12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
I lost alot in my boobs -- first place it went but I still have a gut, and it doesn't look to be going anywhere at all. Meanwhile, my hands and wrists are gaunt and look veiny and old. Weightloss is so weird. What can we do?

Christmas shopping ALMOST done. Christmas cards will be done today and out in the mail by morning (fingers crossed).

Party planning in full swing for our yearly big bash this coming weekend (for a big night time boat parade that goes by our house) and I'm LOADED with anxiety. In addition to the huge party, my husband's family will be staying that day and over night with us.

I swear my social anxiety has gotten so much worse over the years. I'm trying to just fake my way through all this like I actually think this is fun, but I'm miserable and sick in my stomach. And this much non-specific anxiety over a stupid party makes me feel dumb on top of the sick. These are the moments in life I wish I weren't such a weirdo and could handle this stuff better. One on one with people I'm fine, but parties -- particularly parties that I have to throw -- are so not my thing.

I am such a natural hermit, if it weren't for my husband I would go nowhere and just hang with my dogs and read all the time (and be online of course!).

Later this week I'll be making food out the ying yang, joy joy! We have meatball and sausage subs and pasta salad on the menu, so I'll have a whole day of hand making meatballs on Friday. Simply.Can't.Wait.

I'm rambling, sorry.

Calgon take me awwwwwwwaaayyyyyyyyyy..... (remember those commercials?)

I have social anxiety issues, as well (probably why I am so comfortable here).
My main issues stem around lineups in supermarkets. I am happy to wait in line but when people are behind me in line I get anxious and feel sick. I rush through everything. The worst is grocery stores where you bag your own. I feel like I am making everyone wait. God forbid they need to do a price check. No matter how badly I need something I will just tell them to forget it rather than make someone else wait.

I hope the visit with your in-laws goes well. It sounds like you live in paradise.

mezmerelda
12-16-2013, 11:04 AM
I get stressed in social situations sometimes. I am more shy than people think, as those who know me rarely see the shy side. If I have people around me that I know well, the rest of the world doesn't see the shy me either. I would stay at home all the time with my dogs (and husband), or just go out with my dogs (and husband) for company if I could. It hasn't helped living in a new area and not knowing people. It's a small town, and although you'll see it high up on the "friendliest towns in America" lists, the locals are guarded. I have felt so out of sorts since we've been here, and I know that's why my weight has been creeping up. We actually have friends now, so things are better.

See, I can ramble too.

In other news, I have one of my best friend's dogs (Great Dane) with us for a week. She goes back to grandmas next weekend, then we get her back mid-January for about a month. (Her main human is deployed now.) I have known this girldog since her first day home, as I went along to pick her up at the airport. I'm known as her "other mom". She fits in so well with my original pack, but Bowser (the rescue) seems a little out of sorts right now. I just give him hugs and love whenever I can, which seems to help. I have about 475 pounds of dog at my house. Seriously.

Leeh
12-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't envy you the vacuuming, Mezmerelda.

I have been thinking about my life with my husband when the kids are gone. Oldest is getting married in 2015 but will probably move out within the next year. (we live an easy bus ride from 2 universities so it makes financial sense for kids to stay at home- it is quite common in Canada compared to the US) he is doing his masters and his fiancee has a year left of her nursing degree so I can see them getting a place pretty soon.
Second son is in 3rd year of biomedical engineering so I can see him moving out soon after 2015 as well.
Daughter will start university in 2015 (between that and our 25th wedding anniversary there is sure a lot going on that year)

Anyways I have been thinking that I have very little in common with my husband when the kids are out of the picture. I have always stayed home (I am a home daycare provider), he eats clean, runs everyday, lifts weights etc. The bigger I have gotten the more I have become a shell of my former self. I need to lose weight to be healthy but I also think I need to lose it to feel more confident and willing to put myself "out there" and be an active spouse. I don't think I will ever be a runner but there is no reason I shouldn't lace up the runners and go for nice evening walks with him or something rather than stay on the sofa with a book or reality show.

newleaf123
12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
<--------------- my son snapped this photo of me this AM. When I saw it, I was pretty psyched!

Leeh
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM
<--------------- my son snapped this photo of me this AM. When I saw it, I was pretty psyched!

It is a really nice photo. I don't know you before so I would never know you had list 50+ pounds

Sum38
12-16-2013, 06:42 PM
That is a great picture, Heidi! You look so thin!!

Leeh My DH and I walk together as often as we can, and it is a great way to reconnect and talk.

And I thought I was busy with 70 pounds of dog, mezmerelda :)

Michelle :hug: -- Your party sounds heavenly, I wish I was there to enjoy it with you :) I am jealous of your water view and warm weather.

kelijpa
12-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Hi all read everything, sorry, feeling sleepy, so I'll apologize in advance for missing anybody.

Mrs Snark, hope your party goes well, I know the non specific anxiety of which you speak, I drive myself crazy sometimes...bet to you :hug:

NewLeaf, that is an awesome photo, you look fab as does your kitty!

Leeh, I feel like you could use a :hug: too

Mezmerelda, wow that's a lot of dog poundage, lol, I feel like my little 25 pounds of rescued cocker spaniel mix is more than I can handle sometimes, only sometimes, I do love the little bugger.

Sum, congrats on trying something different, step is strenuous for sure. You got me to finally look up DOMS, thanks for that, good to know what happens to me sometimes :D

Sum38
12-17-2013, 08:08 AM
My 155 lbs finally broke, not by much but I saw something besides that number. :yay: 154.8; yeah baby!

We shall see if it sticks because I'll have a high sodium sushi lunch with some girlfriends. I am looking forward to my lunch; I have not seen these ladies in a while.

I have a busy day of being lady of leisure today
1) Walk/hike through snow with my furbaby
2) Lunch w/friends
3) Getting a mani and pedi
4) Weight lifting

Then off to mom duty and making (leftover) dinner. Each hour of my day is taken :D It will be a good day.

Mrs Snark
12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Love that picture Heidi, it is great and you look wonderful!

Congrats on breaking 155 sum, you've really put in the effort! Keep up the great work in the step class, your cardio fitness will come back faster than you think! :bravo:

Leeh - never say never on being a runner, you may discover that you like it as time goes by! Often a good walking program just naturally turns into running as you get fitter and more comfortable! Of course, just walking is fabulous in itself!

idahogirl - your list of holiday treats sounds mighty delicious! So much temptation! Stay strong, you can do it!

mezmerelda -- oooo I love Great Danes, how much fun to get to keep her for a while! That is a serious amount of dog poundage at your house!

mezmerelda
12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
A mani/pedi sounds wonderful right now. I need to get one before vacation.

We are gearing up for a couple of office celebrations this week, so there is food everywhere. I think I will just lock myself in my office and come out on Friday night.

I am really glad all 4 of the dogs get along well. It makes my life much easier this week. We'll see how they do tonight when we take all 4 on a walk - my husband is required to join. :-)

Has anyone bought a ticket for tonight's big lotto? I know my chances of getting canonized are better, but I will still buy it just for fun. I enjoy thinking about what I'd do with the money, even if it's just a fraction. I'd pay off a few friend's and family member's mortgages, buy a vacation home (or at least a couple of months of rental a year) for my mom, and probably get a couple of vacation homes for myself. I'd give my notice at work, but help them find a replacement before I leave. (I'm weird, I know.) Not sure what else I'd do other than some charitable things. It will never happen, but it gives me something to day dream about in the middle of winter.

Mrs Snark
12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Oh my, I never keep track of the lottery, mezmerelda, but thanks for the reminder, I'll make sure we get a couple tickets for a shot at 586 million buckaroos.

I don't think you're weird for helping work find your replacement, having tons of money doesn't preclude being a nice person! :)

I'd get an airstream and travel all around the country with my hubbie and dogs. We'd probably upsize our sailboat too, and do a couple years as liveaboards. And of course the extended family would all be taken care of.

Mrs Snark
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I just noticed in the 40-something weekly weigh-in thread that sum has figured out a way to reverse the space-time continuum and is reliving November. I bet she is reverse aging, too.

I want sum of that.

See what I did there? Hee hee!

Sum38
12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Hehe... I am getting younger by the minute :D

newleaf123
12-18-2013, 09:13 AM
MrsSnark sorry to hear about your social anxiety. I never would have guess, given how outgoing you are... Looks like you have found great compensating mechanisms

Sum congrats on breaking the 155 barrier again! You have been so diligent; it was bound to happen :)

Nothing new here. Crummy day foodwise yesterday. Still trying to figure out why. Back on track.

Leeh
12-18-2013, 09:55 AM
newleaf when you say crummy what do you mean? Eating too much, making poor choices, a bit of both? My crummy days are about making poor choices more than anything.
I can't leave savoury snacks alone and I would sell my first born for a chocolate bar.
Daughter and I went downtown Christmas shopping and to a Callebaut Chocolatier I bought a box of chocolates to have out for the season and I deliberately chose mostly fillings I will not enjoy. I can't believe that at 45 I need to sabotage a box just so I won't be tempted. I am half worried that I will be sucking the chocolate off and leaving the filling aside :p

Sum38
12-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Leeh I was thinking about what you said. -- I got a glimpse what my life will bring me in a year or so. -- This year my DS is a senior at High School, DD goes to local college but lives at home. DH travels Mon- Fri. Anyhow, next year DS will be away at college, DD is about to transfer to a different college away from home and DH keeps traveling.... Last night DS was snowboarding, DD daughter at work and DH working away; I was home all alone. It was quiet and sad. -- I will have a lot of lonely nights ahead of me. Hard to believe that my children are just about grown. Sniff :cry:

So even more so, I am going to throw myself into volunteer work to keep my days busy and fruitful.

Leeh
12-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I so know what you are saying, Sum. My husband rarely travels overnight but he works long hours, occasionally he is home for dinner but usually I just go ahead without him with whichever kids are home at the time.
I find I watch way too much tv alone while kids are in different directions and husband is out.
I did force myself out of my comfort zone and join the parent council at my daughter's school when they sent out a memo that they were unable to meet quorum this year. My kids study in French so it forces me to use my mother tongue and I had been slack over the past few years. I put myself on the graduation committee so that will be fun.
I think volunteering is a good way to force yourself to get out of the house and away from temptation.

Sum38
12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Leeh Good for you for stepping outside of your comfort zone and volunteering for your DD's school. I did a ton of volunteering for school and all youth organizations my kids were part of.

Today was a great exercise day for me. I probably burned nearly 1000 calories just from exercise alone. First I hiked though snowy woods, and it was hard. I was soaked with sweat when I was done. -- This evening I did my 3rd step aerobic class, and I am getting better at it. I did not feel like an elephant this time :D Interesting to see how one's general condition improves.

shr1nk1ngme
12-18-2013, 10:03 PM
I know I am late to the pet parade but I thought I'd link a couple pics of my animal babies, too.

Angel my sweet pound puppy mutt:
http://www.nicholina.com/img/uploaded_pics/angel.jpg

Kritter my Balinese:

http://www.nicholina.com/img/uploaded_pics/kritter3.jpg

Greg, my daughter's rat:
http://www.nicholina.com/img/uploaded_pics/rat.jpg

newleaf123
12-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Oh my gosh shrinkingMe so cute!!

leeh crummy means throwing caution to the wind and eating all the stuff I know I shouldn't, and too much of it. :( I hear you re sabotaging the candy box. Sounds like something I would do.

sum I hear you on the empty house. My kids are younger, but I feel it too. It seems like the boys will be gone before I know it.

So... I got the job. 20 hours a week, very flexible. I'm going to ease in over the next 3 workdays and then start in earnest in January. Looking forward to it! Did some clothes shopping this AM. I would like to see my hips and thighs shrink... Ugh.

Leeh
12-19-2013, 06:51 AM
So yesterday I thought I was firmly in the "Onederland"....I went to emerg last night and they put 2 IV bags through me. I passed the stone but all I had to eat all day was 2 bags of fluid and this morning I am 200,4.

I hadn't thought there would be a Christmas miracle on the scale but it was a shock to see it had gone up instead of down.

Sum38
12-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Heidi Congrats!!!! What will you be doing? I am very excited for you.

Leeh Sorry about your crummy weigh in. It is probably just that fluid they put into you and you will pee it all out today. Good news about your kidney stone though.

My patience with scale is being tested. Yesterday I burned over 1000 calories with workouts alone and only ate around 1200 calories and scale dropped 0.2 pounds; still not out of the 155's, ugh!!! :rollpin: My legs are sore, I hope I am hanging onto water and repairing those muscles...a whoosh would be nice.

newleaf123
12-19-2013, 08:03 AM
leeh sorry to hear about your trip to the ER, never fun! And, sorry about the bounce up, I'm sure it's just the fluid bags. You see how huge they are, they must weigh a ton! (Or at least a couple of pounds)

sum, you are being tested, for sure. Hang in there, I'm sure you've got a whoosh coming!

The job is as operations manager for a local nonprofit. Lots of elbow rubbing with the board and area executives, and the promise of brushing up on some forgotten foreign language skills and culture. I'd be more specific, but then my full name would become easily known to the internet world LOL not that I would mind my friends here knowing, but you ever know who all is lurking. I guess they are eager for me to start, since they've already added me to the staff list on the website.

Leeh
12-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks, people. I googled and have found that it is normal. The tissues soak up the saline to release it as needed so it takes about a week to lose the effect.
Sum I hope you get your pre-Christmas Woosh
newleaf- I wish you well with the new job. Congratulations. I am wondering why your first name and the mention of foreign language is making me imagine Shirley Temple.

mezmerelda
12-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Leeh - sorry about the hospital trip. I hope you're doing better.

Love the critter pics. And I love the name Greg for one of them - cracks me up.

So, holidays are in full swing at the office. Today is breakfast day for my part of the company, and a department is making fresh waffles right near my office. It smells fantastic, and the carby goodness is so tempting. I'm almost at the end of phase 1, so I really just need to remember that I don't actually care too much for waffles (while I enjoy my tofu pudding).

shr1nk1ngme
12-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Love the critter pics. And I love the name Greg for one of them - cracks me up.

She has two rats. The other one is Stefano. :D

Good luck staying on plan! It's tough this time of year.

mezmerelda
12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, the only issue I had was at lunch. My boss had BBQ brought in and unfortunately it was pre-sauced. I'm not a sweet sauce person anyway, so I had a little bit of the meat so I wasn't rude, and will take the rest home for my husband. Slightly off plan, but I can live with it.

Mrs Snark
12-19-2013, 05:22 PM
*squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*

Look at the little rattie in the little housie!!!!! So cute!

And your puppy and kitty are both gorgeous, shrinkingMe !

Mrs Snark
12-19-2013, 05:51 PM
(Trying to catch up!)

Leeh - I'm so sorry you ended up at emergency, was that painful (because it sounds very painful!)? Hang in there, all the fluid will leave and it is so good for you (even though it makes you temporarily bloated!).

I am on the last batch of meatballs (did I mention I'm making meatballs today?), thankfully, and again I say: you people who love to cook are MASOCHISTS.

There is no other reasonable explanation. ;)

So 10 pounds of ground chuck has been transformed into Italian meatballs. If I never do that again it will be too soon.

kelijpa
12-19-2013, 10:16 PM
:wave: Hi everyone!

Nice pics ShrinkingMe!

Sum38
12-20-2013, 10:02 AM
I am getting really frustrated with my weight. Mathematically I should had lost a 1.5-2 pounds this past week; how I ate and exercised and I gained 0.2 pounds :mad: Where is my Whoosh Fairy hiding? No wonder that people give up, not saying that I am; this is making me me even more determined.

mezmerelda
12-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Well, if you're like me, you somehow made it to Friday without smacking anyone upside the head or getting dinged by HR for inappropriate comments. And I have made quite a few of them. I'm so glad I work in IT with other strange people who are like minded. Woohoo!

Sorry, Sum. I hope the scale moves for you soon.

That's part of why I stopped weighing myself and going by clothing fit. That has come back to haunt me a couple of times, but as a former anorexic now on the other end of things, I tend to get obsessed with the scale and the overall control.

It's a musical weekend for us. We have a grand opening at our local distillery tonight (this town is starting businesses around my habits) with a great string band. I'm only going for the band - really. They have only had time to distill vodka, and I'm more of a whisky girl. Tomorrow is a wonderful bluegrass band at our brewery (where I will abstain from beer). Sunday is the open mic at the wine bar (where I will allow myself a glass). I think we're supposed to get a $#^% ton of snow on Sunday, and the wine bar is walking distance. So we'll watch the snow from the bar with music and friends, then from the couch w/cuddly mountain dogs.

Happy Friday!

Mrs Snark
12-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Good job not smacking anyone Mezmerelda!

Your weekend plans sound lovely!

Today is making pasta salad day for me. Taking a break from party preps for a minute right now to check out the site and sit down (too much standing!). Then it's off to the store quick, for like the zillionth time!

Sum38
12-20-2013, 04:17 PM
www.bakersroyale.com/jello-shots-2/strawberry-margarita-jell-o-shooters/ and http://www.savoryreviews.com/2009/09/16/orange-slice-jello-shots/

I made these for the xmas party we are attending to this weekend. The funniest part is... DH and I are on a non drinking kick....and I made all those alcoholic shots :D :D It will be fun watching everyone else getting hammered :rofl:

Mrs Snark
12-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Wow, those are very cute and tasty looking!

shr1nk1ngme
12-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Where is my Whoosh Fairy hiding? No wonder that people give up, not saying that I am; this is making me me even more determined.

I am sending you whoosh fairies and adding some will power dust so you can hold out until the fairies arrive.

:angel: :angel::dust: :angel: :angel:

Sum38
12-21-2013, 09:55 AM
shr1nk1ngme THANK YOU!!! She came and took nearly 2 pounds away!!!

newleaf123
12-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Glad the scale budged sum!

Sounds like a fun weekend mezmerelda!

Pasta salad making day?? Hope it's behind you now, mrsSnark! When is the party?? Hopefully soon so this madness can end!

Hanging around today, going to a fancy fish restaurant tonight, eating light until then. Weight 157.6 thIs AM.

Mrs Snark
12-23-2013, 09:06 AM
So tired. I think I'm more tired today than I was yesterday. Need to go get on the treadmill and perk up, I was dragggggging during dog walking this morning.

So, party done, on to Christmas, yippee. I will get everything wrapped today and decide if we need any last minute stuffs.

Sum - congrats on the whoosh! I was going to ask how those shots tasted then I remembered you didn't have any! At least you had a whooshie pay off!!

Mezmerelda - I was disappointed not to win the power ball lotto thingy. How about you?

mezmerelda
12-23-2013, 09:55 AM
I was very sad to not win, but I suppose my life will go on. I have a good friend in San Jose who said the winning ticket there was purchased in the hood. Maybe it has helped out someone who really needs it. It's more likely they'll end up on an E! true Hollywood story in a few years.

Weekend here was good. Got snow yesterday, but not as much as was called for. Kind of sad, actually. I managed to stay on track for the weekend, only breaking for my wine yesterday. I really needed it.

Today starts phase 2, which means I can eat an apple. I've never been so excited to eat an apple. Well, other than the last time I did SB.

Happy Monday!

Sum38
12-23-2013, 01:23 PM
We lost power over a day ago. House is getting pretty chilly :brr: We are keeping warm at my inlaws.

I don't know if I get all xmas cooking/baking done on time :( Oh well, life goes on. I'll prep as much as I can at home and finish cooking at my inlaws.

Happy Xmas to all!

kelijpa
12-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Sum sorry to hear about your loss of power, that's terrible.

:wave: hello all, hope everyone's doing well!

newleaf123
12-23-2013, 09:46 PM
I hope your power is back sum! Hi to all :wave: Not much to say... trying to figure out a new schedule to go along with the new job. 3 days under my belt... and now off until the new year.

Leeh
12-26-2013, 09:09 AM
I hope your power comes back quickly.
I have been MIA for a few days because of crap health. I started this recent weight loss with such a good attitude and for no medical reason but now, of course I catch some random virus that causes my blood work to come back wonky and they find the dreaded "fatty liver" It is classified as mild but still now I have to lose weight for medical reasons which adds pressure.
*please pass the celery*

mezmerelda
12-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Back home, back at work. I'm not entirely sure what day it is.

Had a nice Xmas in our old area. Stayed at a hotel w/the dogs, saw good friends and family. It was the first time traveling with the rescue dog, and he did pretty well. I wasn't completely on SB for a couple of days, but I'm back in the saddle today.

Bad thing - I'm sick. I don't get sick very often, so this is annoying. I thought it was allergies at first, but no such luck. I'll try not to whine too much.

I hope everyone had a great holiday.

kelijpa
12-26-2013, 10:16 AM
:wave: going to bundle up and go outside!

Sum38
12-26-2013, 10:54 AM
We got unexpected snow, yay! About 3 inches and it is still slowly coming down.

Next door neighbor made an ice skating rink on the lake, I think I will skate this week.

My day was so-so yesterday... Food wise I was op, but chocolate snacks were off plan.

Meals
B ~ Scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, GF pancakes, syrup
L ~ None
D ~ Porkloin, mashed potatoes, rice stuffed acorn squash :drool:, roasted carrots and asparagus
S ~ Truffels form Harry and David, peppermint bark :o

Exercise
3.5 mile hike

Weight

Mrs Snark
12-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Hey Leeh -- sorry to hear about the blood work! How about I make you some nice "Ants on a log"? Mmm. Crisp celery, thin schmear of natural peanut butter, and a few raisins!

Mezmerelda - sorry to hear you're sick! Rest up and feel better soon!

mezmerelda
12-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Chocolate sounds so good right now.

Leeh
12-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey Leeh -- sorry to hear about the blood work! How about I make you some nice "Ants on a log"? Mmm. Crisp celery, thin schmear of natural peanut butter, and a few raisins!

Mezmerelda - sorry to hear you're sick! Rest up and feel better soon!

I would do low fat cream cheese over peanut butter. The only form I like my PB is covered in chocolate :D

Going to boil up the turkey carcass to make some stock and I'll do a celery soup. I really like that. I bought a vitamix a few years ago with soup making as the main purpose. I do use that a lot.

Sum38
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Happy Kwanzaa, everyone!

junem
12-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi to all you 40-somethings out there in 3FC-land. I have been in a funk since my MIL passed away, right before Thanksgiving. And then there is money stress, and holiday stress, and general family stress. Yada, yada, yada, trying not to wallow in self-pity.

Anyways here is a graph that summarizes my 1st year on the 3 FC forum. I hope it shows up ok. I TRULY hope to get my BMI down in 2014.

Sum38
12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
junem :hug: I hope 2014 will be a better year for you.

Sum38
12-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Happy to report that I suffered minimal amount of damage during this Christmas season. I think total gain was 1/2-1 pound between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Woot! I, of course, wanted to see a loss...lol -- I am at my setpoint, I have hovered around 155 pounds now for the entire month of December. Perhaps January will give me a different set point.

My total loss for the year was/will be around 10-12 pounds. First year in ages that I did not gain. -- Let's hope I can do another 10-12 pounds in 2014.

I feel motivated. -- I took a few days off from exercise and I miss it. Today I will be hiking though snow with my furbaby and then step aerobic class later on this afternoon.

I have been thinking about resolutions...should I even bother making one (weight related), or just try to promise to live as healthy as one can this upcoming year. If I have healthy food and exercise habits, weight surely would fall off on its own.

What are your resolutions?

soon2beskinnyCarma
12-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Hello to all. Sorry I have been MIA. MIL passed away December 8th. Peacefully and in no pain. Stress induced month equaled huge gain on my part. 214.8 this am. Ugh. Both my doctors were pleased with my over all weight loss and figure that after the holidays I would get back on check. I had my labwork done and my HDL(Good Cholesterol) which had been 43 last January was 63 which is just 2 points shy of low risk. This mind you was drawn without exercising for 2 plus weeks and without eating a great diet so I was thrilled with that. The 43 put me at high risk for heart disease and since my dad had his first heart attack at 48 and fatal one at 52 I was really looking to fix that. I have been horrible about recording my food. I plan on eating a planned diet for the week. With 3 not planned meals. Monday night, Tuesday lunch and dinner. Otherwise I am planning my food out. I need to get this train under control and in proper eating order.
I received a fit bit for Christmas so plan on getting on the 10000 step goal then increasing from there.
My new years resolution is the usual get more organized.
As far as weight loss/exercise goals.
I would like to end 2014 below 165lbs.
Be able to run 5 miles.
Have a weight lifting routine of 3 days a week for 20 minutes a day. Be able to do 5 regular push ups and 20 girly ones.
Be able to meditate for 15 minutes straight every day.
Hope everyone's December holidays were good whatever faith/culture you belong to. Happy New year to all.

mezmerelda
12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your MIL. I'm glad her passing was peaceful.

That sick thing kicked my rear. I actually stayed home sick, which almost never happens. I sat on the couch for about 3 days, although I did manage to get out for a walk one day while it was still warm-ish, and tried the elliptical yesterday. The latter didn't workout too well, as I only managed about 10 minutes before the coughing was too much. I made it through most of the "Call the Midwife" episodes in Netflix during my couch stay. Has anyone ever watched it?

I have family visiting this coming weekend. Is it bad that I hope they cancel?

Sum38
12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
I am so sorry about your MIL, Carma. It has been a tough year for you!

I hope you are feeling better mezmerelda soon. And I can totally understand your wish about your guests.

newleaf123
12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry about your MIL carma...

Here, I was away for 6 days in FL. Nice to be back home. Just got back from the supermarket and filling my house with vegetables. Yay! Weight is crummy... But I back in the game.

kelijpa
12-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi Carma, sorry about your MIL, glad to hear you have some good news for yourself on the healthy changes you have made. I've been bad about tracking food lately, too, it shows up on the scale pretty quick. :hug:

Welcome back NewLeaf, wish I was in FL this week coming up, stressing about the low temps they're predicting, I really have no tolerance for single digits...bad enough at night but for the high temp! Yikes

Happy New Year everyone!!

Leeh
12-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Carma. Good for you for getting back on track.

I am noticing that my ticker finale has a BMI still in the overweight range. That is if I hit my first goal of 155. I set that one because it is the weight I was after each of my 3 kids so I know there is no "baby weight" excuse (after all I just had a baby- 16+ years ago)
After that goal is reached I will revise to a healthier BMI range but I am trying for baby steps. As it is 155 will amount to a 52 pound weight loss and, at 5'2 that is going to be significant.

Sum38
12-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Leeh, I was 108 pounds after my second child was born; I can not use the baby weight excuse either :D -- I am following same kind of eating plan and exercise routine now, what brought me to 108 pounds after the birth of my second child. We shall see if it works now that I am older. -- This week I have lost 2.6 pounds and week ain't over yet :) I am really hoping to have 3 pound loss this week, that would be awesome!

I feel motivated! I guess the motivation comes and goes. I saw this Zig Ziglar quote a while back and made me smile. -- "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." -- I wish I could keep it part of my life daily. -- I am hoping that this bout lasts until I hit normal BMI :)

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Love the quote sum! You will get there leeh!

Got up late today. Weight was down 2 pounds from yesterday. Phew!

shr1nk1ngme
12-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Planning a quiet New Year's Eve tonight. Uness we get a last-minute invitation, it will just be DH and me, with my 14 y.o. daughter. DD will probably watch reruns of Dr. Who on Netflix all night long. DH and I will probably have a glass of wine at midnight and then call it a day. Or year, Whatever works...

Today is an UpDay on my JUDDD diet and I changed my calorie provisions which means I can eat more than before on my UpDays. So I'm looking forward to more food than usual today, but it is all healthy food, carefully measured so I can stick to plan.

How about you?

Sum38
12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
A friend of ours always throws a big party and we go and celebrate New Year's even with them. -- My challenge will be the food, ugh. Could I actually make though the night without eating anything that is being offered? -- I am not sure if I should make dinner at home and try really hard not to eat anything, or skip dinner at home and have a plateful (small) of yummy stuff everyone brings. What do you think ladies? -- Drinking won't be an issue, because we don't drink :)

newleaf123
12-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Me personally? Like it or not, for me, food really is part of the fun. I would bring something really healthy that I (and others) can enjoy, and then sample the things that look truly worth it.

We don't have any plans. Probably just a glass (bottle?) of wine leading up to midnight. No food temptations. For New Years Day, I will make a family brunch: scrambled eggs, bean salad, pancakes, pumpkin-chocolate bread. I don't eat pancakes, and I'll just have a taste of the pumpkin bread. I've never made it before -- I'm making it to test out my new hand mixer.

Sum38
12-31-2013, 12:45 PM
I am leaning towards eating there, in moderation.

I am making super unhealthy, fat laden, calorie heavy dip; no I won't be touching it :) Plus my peppermint bark I am famous for (no I won't touch that either). Perhaps I will bring a veggie tray. I love munching on veggies. I could eat them all night long and be happy :D

We have another heavy steak house dinner coming up on Friday. So I really need to be mindful here tonight that I won't go overboard.

Why is food such a big deal for me (us)? -- I guess we would not be here if food was just a necessary thing to survive each and every day. Sigh.

Mrs Snark
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
I'd do one of 2 things, either eat nothing at the party because it isn't one of the rare times I want to break all my rules -- or -- eat nothing all day and then enjoy bits of everything at the party.

It is very day indulgences that kill me, so I pick and choose my indulgence times carefully.

soon2beskinnyCarma
12-31-2013, 06:08 PM
June M: sorry to hear about your MIL.
Thank you everyone for the sympathies. We had an Italian funeral today. My husbands ex sister in laws father died so we went to support his niece and her family. I refused the extra pecan pie that was offered me. I had a piece of it. I was not taking the whole extra pie home. Probably over ate but I was down by 2lbs today from yesterday. We have a neighborhood party to go to tonight. Hoping to see some veggies there. I am bringing shrimp cocktail and those meatballs you do in Chili sauce and grape jelly. There will also be cannoli cake and dip. I should hit my 10000 steps. Going to walk while waiting for the meatballs to be done. There will be no alcohol so as long as I stick to diet soda/water I should be good.
Sum: I go by the skip dinner philosophy. I know me. I would eat dinner and still see the food I like to eat and then just eat extra calories. Better to eat a little of everything. One day doesn't kill you. It's the one day that doesn't stop. PS love the quote. Do you still use your fitbit?
Shrink: What is the JUDD diet?
Heidi: glad the scale is moving down.
Leeh: Baby steps are good. I just added the Happy scale app which is breaking down my weight loss for me in 10 manageable weight focus's. I was down as low as 199.8 but gained back some with all the stress. Really annoys me that I was there but forgiving yourself is the first step blah blah blah. I won't be out of the overweight range until I drop down below 155lbs I think. I want to be out of the obese category that is now 30lbs away.
Mezmerelda: Love call the midwife. Glad your starting to feel better.

:newyear:

Leeh
12-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Dinner was really good. I grilled steak and lobster and made a huge salad. For dessert I did crème brûlée and blackberries. Tiny portions of everything and I didn't feel cheated.

MarleneV
01-01-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm alone this evening. Talked to husband earlier, he is in London with older daughter. Younger daughter is out with friends & staying overnight. Wont show up here until tomorrow evening. Already talked to my mom too.

Tomorrow, I will either work on my husband's business accounting or go to my office & organize paperwork before tax season hits. Nothing exciting...

Sum38
01-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Sorry that you had to spend the new year alone MarleneV. Did your DH and DD do anything special for New Year in London? -- I lived in London for 3 years :)

Well New Year's eve was a challenge; I won! I decided to eat at home and only snack on veggies. There was so much yummy food and I did not touch any of it! I decided that these "one time events" have gotten me into the condition I am at, so I needed to stay strong. Once this weight is off, I can go back enjoying extra calories and snacks (in moderation) once again. -- I am really proud of myself! I am off to a better start this year than I was last year :) I remember stuffing myself at the party, yay me!

Happy New year my friends. This will be a healthy year for all of us!

MarleneV
01-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Sum, they went downtown to watch the fireworks. They could have done that from the apartment they rented, but decided that getting in a crowd of 250,000 people sounded like more fun. They are now on EuroStar to Paris.

GOOD JOB on your win at the party! Doesn't it feel great when you meet these challenges like this?

Happy New Year to all!

mezmerelda
01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
I hope everyone had a nice NY celebration. We stayed in, made a nice (and healthy) dinner. My virus/cold/whatever decided to show up again, so I really didn't do much of anything other than walk dogs (in many, many layers) yesterday. We sat on the couch and watched HGTV for about 10 hours and had leftovers. And now I think I have a sinus thing going on. We leave in 3 weeks, so that keeps me going.

I've kind of stalled on the diet. I have gone a little off plan, and I was thinking of going back to phase 1 of SB for a few days. But the thought of it makes me want to hurl - I don't think I could handle eggs again for a bit. Unless I could go out for breakfast every day. Not sure what to do now. I'm considering moving over to an alkaline type diet, as it works pretty well for me too, but I'm just not sure. I'll stick in phase 1.5 (so I can have apples, but avoid the grains) until I can figure things out.

Sum38
01-02-2014, 12:03 PM
mezmerelda I am doing phase 1.5 on southbeach. I gave up on phase one after 4 days on it or so. I added butternut squash and quinoa to my diet. I will be eating very few grains though. I have lost nearly 3 pounds in a week :) I am hoping for a bit more that I can say 3+ pounds...not greedy here at all :lol: -- I do like SBD though. I like that fact that I am eating regular foods and this how I will be eating for the rest of my life.

mezmerelda
01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Happy Friday, everyone! Anyone doing anything fun this weekend? I think that after tomorrow, I'll be a shut in until the temps climb above zero again.

shr1nk1ngme
01-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Well I don't know about fun, but I have an enormously busy day ahead.
Have to go to Kohl's and spend my $40 Kohl's cash before it expires. (I know, I know: "have to". But seriously I wish wish wish I could wait until Monday; this day is soooo busy.)
Post Office to return an eBay item - wrong size
1 1/2 hours round trip to pick up tee-shirts my 16 y.o. son had made for his band, Seminole. He can't do it because he's out of town and the need is urgent to have them tonight.
Grocery shopping
Pick up my 16 y.o. son from our church's winter camp.
Mad rush after camp to pack up the van with all the band equipment and three very exhausted, unwashed, sleep deprived teenage boys because tonight is their first BIG gig at a sizable local venue (>1000 people) with paid tickets. DH's truck is in the shop and I am playing roadie! :D
Haul said smelly boys and band equipment to the venue, help unload.
Most likely someone will forget something important and then I will have to drive back to the house to get it. (Please bring the microphones and all the cords, boys!)
Have to stay for the entire show. It's four bands. Loooong show. Looooud show. Must remember to bring earplugs.
Supervise gaggle of teenage girls whose parents wouldn't let them come unless I was there to "watch" them.
Hopefully will be able to keep said gaggle of teenage girls out of trouble since it is a 13 - 24 y.o. "secular" concert venue and there will be a lot of unsavory teens there, up to all sorts of shenanigans.
Load up the van and come home at about 2 AM.
Sleeeep.
Did I mention it's a DownDay? I am eating two hard boiled eggs, broth, and a cracker today. I am sure I'll see a loss on the scale tomorrow morning with all the running around I am doing. Sheesh!

Sum38
01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Yikes shr1nk1ngme, that is a full day.

mezmerelda Fun...hmm.. does going to the gym count? :D -- Tonight we are going to a Brazilian Steakhouse to celebrate my FIL's 75th bday. I wish I could skip it, because I am doing so well with my diet and it will be a LOT OF FOOD that will be available.
Tomorrow, hopefully weather warms up a bit and I get to do my 4 mile walk plus gym (weights and swim)....my life revolves around house keeping duties, cooking duties and workouts...those three items take up my entire day :lol: -- Weigh loss is a full time job I've decided.

I made my SB menu for the upcoming week. I will follow phase 1 for the most days, there will be a few days when I am having quinoa and butternut squash...those will be P2 days. -- I am really loving this diet. I have lost 3 pounds since I started it some days ago (I lost 5 pounds in a week).

mezmerelda
01-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Gym is fun. Well, the working out part is. I don't like gyms, so I workout at home, and I enjoy it. I used to like gyms, so I'm not sure what happened.

Holy cow, shr1nk1ngme, that is a seriously busy day.

Off to the grocery store.

Mrs Snark
01-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Let's see, for fun we are watching a movie tonight (or some animated series my hubby got from Netflix). Then probably a bike ride together for Saturday followed by sailing since there is supposed to be a strong straight-out-of-the-East wind (perfect for sailing up and down the Intracoastal).

Sunday will likely picking out a roofer to give all our money to for re-roofing the house (not that fun) and vacation planning (more fun than roofing) -- hubby wants us to sail down to the Keys soon, and we are trying to figure out how to make that work for all involved (including my back).

soon2beskinnyCarma
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
shrinking: wow that's a full day
Sum: congrats on the weight loss. Good luck with that steak house.
Mrs. Snark: Thanks for giving us the visions of warm weather. I hope it will keep me warm tomorrow if I brave the cold weather for a walk/run. I may chicken out and do a leslie sansone video. My husband did give me running gloves for Christmas so maybe that will encourage me to get out there.
Mezmerelda: Try to stay warm.
As for me I have a Demarle party to go to as well as going out to dinner with my FIL on Saturday. I will also be taking the tree decorations down hopefully at some point this weekend. I also need to get working on our basement. It has turned into a giant collection bin.
I am down 3lbs total from my high of 216.4. Will see what tomorrow's weigh in brings. I haven't been perfect with my food by any means but the exercise has helped some.
No real plans for Sunday. Maybe we will go to the grocery store so I can get some somewhat healthy food in the house. I bought the hairy guys cookbook. Some good looking food in there.