Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat December 2 - December 8

BillBlueEyes
12-02-2013, 06:47 AM
I'm really pleased to have make it through Thanksgiving in good shape. The guests and family all interacted admirably; food and drink consumed as expected; and I had only one plate of a moderate size. Seems to make sense to make Thanksgiving eating such that it could happen every day and not bloat us to the Michelin Man.

If you look up today, you should see the New Moon.

Mudpie
12-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Bill I will try to remember to carry the ideas in your post through the holiday season. I have my first "eating event" of the Christmas season this coming Sunday. I'm hosting it so I know that the food will be relatively low cal. Even dessert - cut up fruit with low cal yogurt dressing.

My potential downfall will occur after the guests have gone home - post stress eating of large amounts of cookies and cake (the leftover coffee offerings for the guests). I will be very conscious of clean up and will quietly dispose of or hide most of what remains. I think neighbours will be dropping in for coffee throughout the season so I'd like to have some cookies handy to offer. But I don't want DH to go off in a frenzy of eating.

Balance will be a key word in my holiday celebrations.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

silverbirch
12-02-2013, 09:53 AM
:wave:

alinnell
12-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Our eating fest has not yet finalized. ((sigh)) My sister, BIL and Dad do not leave until tomorrow afternoon, so there will be one more dinner together. At least I have to go to work today so I won't have to partake in their breakfast out. We all (10 of us anyway) went out to breakfast yesterday and the only saving grace from that was that we were able to skip lunch. Dinner was turkey leftovers (of which there are many). Frankly, I (and DH as well) cannot wait until tomorrow evening when we can throw out the leftover pies (only two were homemade and those are practically gone anyway) and some of the leftover food that is just too carb-y.

The dessert I made for Saturday night was a hit and I was able to give ALL the leftovers away and not bring any home!

We went to see Nebraska yesterday. I hope I'm not like that when I get old. I'm also glad my Dad didn't want to go see it. There was a lot of him in that movie.

CherryPie99
12-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi all!

Today is a sad anniversary for me - my father died of a sudden heart attack 23 years ago today. He was 42 years old. So I just want to get through today.

We got the tree and decorations up this weekend.

I ate like a maniac both Thanksgiving Day and the next day with the leftovers that were sent home with me. Miraculously I am only .5 pounds heavier today then I was Thanksgiving morning, and well below my red line.

The body is a funny thing - I can restrict like crazy and my weight stays up, but then 2 days of eating like crazy and I'm down.

I'm not complaining, though!!

Jen

Megan1982
12-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Morning all,

"Mondays are hard" is my favorite quote from my favorite Joy the Baker podcast. After having four days off it was hard to get up and drag my rear into work, and say goodbye to BF who will be working away from home for most of this week. I fed the dog, started packing my lunch, making oatmeal etc, and looked around for her this morning. She had finished her breakfast and was already curled up back on the pillows in the bed.

My holiday was mixed. It was fine, really, though there were some awkward moments w BF's family involving viewing of old home videos and BF's dad, who had taken the videos about 12 years ago, zooming in on certain parts of his wife's anatomy repeatedly. I think I was already predisposed to doom and gloom bc of my changed plans. I really tried to keep busy and shake myself out of it, and not be overly sensitive, which worked sometimes, sometimes not. I am aware that I didn't have a "good" reason to be depressed and that many folks didn't have holidays as nice as mine, and tried to be thankful for that.

I am totally lacking food inspiration right now! Cold salad doesn't sound appealing so I'm hoping to find some veggies that look decent for roasting. Does anyone have any healthy, relatively easy suggestions for weeknight dinners and lunches? I have weekend holiday events coming up over the next two weekends, so I'm going to try to focus on having healthy things prepared for the weekday meals and as much movement as possible. I took the last two weeks off from yoga to take care of things at home, but I will go to class all month. My brain needs it.

I agree, Dagmar, balance is key - see my last few sentences!

My sister wants to try spatchcocking/butterflying a turkey over a dish of stuffing for Christmas. I'll warn her about having a big enough tray/small enough bird to fit the flattened bird on.

Saef, oh no, what a time for an oven to fail. I'm glad you and your mom had a back-up.

Jen, :hug:. Also, the body is a funny thing.

Hi Silver! And everyone else out there. :wave:

gardenerjoy
12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
CherryPie99: We just passed the 12th anniversary of my dad's death. Seems like yesterday in some ways and eons ago when I think of all the things he has missed in the intervening years. Hugs!

Megan1982: I could use more easy, healthy dinners in my life right now, too. But here's a lunch thing that works for me, tempeh sausage crumbles: http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/tempeh-sausage-crumbles/
I make a double batch and then eat it all week on a potato, or rice, or (this week) stuffing.
Oh, and I like cabbage salads in the winter as a change of pace from the normal lettuce-based fare. I don't use a recipe, but something like this: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/crunchy-cabbage-salad-with-orange-tahini-dressing/
Another advantage of cabbage salad is that you can make a big batch and eat it for several days -- although in the above recipe, you would have to leave out the seeds and just add them when you serve it. Seeds would get soft from the dressing and refrigerator.

traveling michele
12-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Hugs to you today Jen. My parents both have passed and when I stop to think about it, I can get quite sad. Glad your weight is cooperating though!

Megan-- how is puppy doing? Better, I hope!!

Allison-- I bet you'll be glad to get rid of your last guests. My daughters left Saturday and Sunday and my dh Saturday so my house is quiet once again.

Holidays are always stressful. Overall good but my girls just never get along so there is constant tension. I ate too much on T-Day but I didn't have any leftovers after that and I threw them all away yesterday once dc's had left. My weight was up 2.5 pounds from T-Day but it's almost back down now (still 5 over red line though).

I *may* skip my workout tonight. It's amazing that I'm planning all that I can do with my "extra" time! I have a chiro appointment after work and I was going to try to work out but I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and forgot to get my lunches (salads)-- I was quite distracted and it was busy. Ugh. I figure I can also fit some shopping in at Target.

Check back later.... parents and kids are here.

paperclippy
12-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey there folks! We survived babies' first Thanksgiving, and only Thanksgivukkah. :lol: I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I bought Hanukkah candles but we haven't lit any of them yet. Oops.

In any case, we managed to get the girls to Thanksgiving at MIL's and to a baby naming at DH's aunt and uncle's house. They were pretty much overwhelmed, got their schedules messed up, and then were cranky and didn't sleep well, but today they seem back on schedule and relaxed again. Holidays with two babies is more stressful than fun! We did manage to get them to take a very brief nap at MIL's during Thanksgiving at least. I got annoyed at a lot of relatives -- DH's aunt was so excited to hold them and when C started fussing and I tried to take her back, she insisted on keeping her and trying to calm her down herself. Well, C was upset because she didn't want to be held by a stranger anymore, so she just got more and more fussy and by the time we managed to convince the aunt to give her back we couldn't get her calmed down at all until her next nap. Then at the baby naming DH and I took the girls out to the enclosed sunroom to burp and do diaper changes after feeding them since it was a tile floor and there was nobody in there, and MIL and FIL came in with us and just would not go away. I told them, "Why don't you go see the baby who we are here to celebrate today?" and even then DH had to basically kick them out. I don't know why it's so hard to understand that when one baby is spitting up all over the place and the other has a blowout out of her diaper that having extra people hovering around just gets in the way of us doing what we need to do to get them taken care of. The whole time we were at the baby naming I just felt like I had to shove people out of the way so I could get to the items I needed in time to avoid any puke/poop disasters.

Sigh. Hopefully next year holidays will be easier. At least by then the girls will be eating regular food, hopefully not still spitting up, and won't need to nap every couple hours. They'll also probably be more used to being around people. I think the crowd was just too much for them.

To not be a total complainer all the time, I will also say that A&C are now on a very nice and reliable 3 nap schedule, slept well last night though not the two nights before, and are successfully eating some solid foods! C eats both her oatmeal and peas pretty easily. A eats the peas just fine but spits out the oatmeal (not good because it's iron fortified and we stopped giving iron supplement). I got her to eat it by mixing some peas in yesterday though, so that was a success!

Megan, how is Emma doing?

:grouphug: to those who are remembering departed relatives. My mom is in NJ for a couple days this week to attend her aunt's funeral. She lived to be 101 years old! My grandmother was 96 when she passed a couple years ago. I guess that side of my family has some good genes for living a long life. DH's grandmother is not doing so well. Her health is on the decline and she had to be moved from regular assisted living into nursing care (she is 86).

paperclippy
12-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, and I found the way to make me not eat dessert this holiday season . . . being on a dairy and soy elimination diet. I splurged and ate dairy at Thanksgiving and I don't know if that contributed to the girls being super fussy the rest of the weekend, but I'm back to no dairy and no soy now. No dairy means no chocolate, no ice cream, no cakes or cookies or anything with butter, etc. etc. etc. Sigh. About the only desserts I can eat are pie filling and marshmallows. :lol:

paperclippy
12-02-2013, 02:01 PM
On the "cute babies" side of things here (http://i.imgur.com/4wgBkVv.jpg) is a photo DH sent me this morning.

traveling michele
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Jessica,
Did you have the naming just for one of them? Or both?

I'm kinda depressed because I'm lighting the candles by myself for the first time. I skipped Saturday night (forgot) but I did them last night.

Anyone doing any fun Cyber Monday shopping? So far I hit up Sephora...

CherryPie99
12-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Jessica, as I was reading the first part of your post, I was thinking that I hope that you are I are both here 2 years from now and I can just imagine how different your post will be about entering the Holidays with the girls!!!! I know a lot of people are gaga over babies, but when they are toddlers and can interact more and understand what is happening? That will be LOADS of joy and fun!!

One down side to being uber organized is that I have probably 95% of my shopping DONE and WRAPPED. But now I see all these deals and I just want to BUY BUY BUY more for people!!

My father-in-law is 95 and we spent Thanksgiving with him. I know nothing is promised to anyone, but with my father having passed so young, I feel lucky to have my hubby come from such long lived genes!!

ICUwishing
12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
:wave: I overheard someone refer to the first week of December as the "tain't" of the holidays. I am not going to explain why I laughed so hard that I almost threw up. Anyone who's familiar with the term will get some insight into my atypical sense of humor. :D

alinnell
12-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Cute girls, Jessica!

I've been alternating between working, writing Christmas cards and Cyber Monday shopping. Most, if not all, of the presents are purchased (mostly from Amazon) but none is wrapped. Christmas is going to be rather small this year. My in-laws and DH and I are not swapping presents. DH and I have just one thing for each other. DS will get the bulk (maybe 4 or 5 items from us and a couple more from the in-laws). DD and her fiance won't be in town but they'll get their presents a couple weeks early when they drop off the cats for cat sitting (they're going to Seattle for two weeks).

Thanksgiving was a comedy of errors at our house:
First night, my sister gets an insulin reaction and I have to call the paramedics
Second night, my BIL falls over a small chest in his room and bonks his head
Friday, I cut my finger while cutting bread for Saturday's bread pudding AND BIL gets his hand caught in a shopping cart while at Costco with DH (that required BIL, DH and some random guy in the parking lot to pry him loose with all three laughing)
Saturday neither DH's or my GPS wanted to take us on the same route to Orange County. I ended up just following him and hoping his GPS would get us there (it did).
While listening to the GPS, my 92 year old father demanded to know "where the lady is in the car." We explained that it was a computer simulated voice and that we were being tracked by GPS (a satellite in the sky). Needless to say, he doubted us and finally exclaimed that we were lying to him that there is no way there are satellites up there and again wanted to know "where the lady is based so that she can talk to us like she is." I debate showing him the ELI5 from Reddit explaining GPS.

paperclippy
12-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Michele, sorry, I wasn't clear -- we didn't do a baby naming for either of our girls. The baby naming was for DH's cousin's daughter. This is his cousin who we have named as the guardian of our kids if anything were to happen to us so we figured we ought to put in an appearance. :) Her little girl is 7 weeks, and she has a 3-year-old boy.

Honestly we haven't decided yet what if anything we are going to do about potential religious education for our girls. I come from an interfaith family so we just did holidays at home and never went to any religious services or anything (okay not entirely true, I've been to church with my mom on Easter and Christmas a couple times). DH grew up in a synagogue and had a bar mitzvah, but hasn't been back since. I have a feeling we are likely to just do holidays at home and talk to them about our traditions without doing anything formal anywhere.

Cherry, I hope I will be here two years from now! I've been on this site forever! And yes, I am really looking forward to the girls being old enough to actually have fun playing and talking to people and running around getting into trouble. Right now they're just working on eating from a spoon and sitting up on their own. ;)

Becky, that is kind of hilarious. :lol:

Allison, how the heck did your BIL get stuck in a shopping cart???

I think I am going to get DH a new cell phone for his birthday. Now I just need to figure out whether to buy online or go to the store to get it.

JayEll
12-02-2013, 05:15 PM
OK, I don't get the "tain't" business... Someone please explain.

silverbirch
12-02-2013, 05:27 PM
:?: Don't look at me. I haven't a clue.

alinnell
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Allison, how the heck did your BIL get stuck in a shopping cart???

Instead of grabbing the handle to move someone's cart (he was being a good Samaritan and moving it from a parking spot) he put his fingers through the mesh on the side of the cart and started moving it. His fingers went all the way through and then got hooked on his wedding ring. DH was pouring water over his hand to try to loosen his wedding ring and take it off so he could extricate his fingers.

OK, I don't get the "tain't" business... Someone please explain.

I thought it meant "it ain't" or more correctly "it isn't." Obviously I'm wrong.

traveling michele
12-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Allison-- that's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile (about the GPS). I can just picture it!

Jessica-- my religion is interesting to say the least. Dh is Catholic. I'm Jewish. We wanted to raise the girls with a religion so we raised them Jewish. They went to religious school and had Bat Mitzvah's. Older dd was a religious school teacher and younger was a madrachim (helper). Now? Younger dd is Mormon and older dd is still Jewish (but not belonging to a temple in her new place). We dropped our Temple membership as it is expensive and we weren't going. Sigh....

kisskiss
12-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi all,
Hope you don't mind me joining in on your chat. I'm usually in the 20-something forums or 100 lb club, but I hit goal last week (woot woot) and decided I'd like to start also posting here in hopes that you all can help me in my maintenance :D

CherryPie99:
I find this the weirdest thing about weight loss, too. I indulged with my food this week, and I was sure I'd be up in weight, but I'm still cruising in at 135. Crazy! We also put up or tree and decorations, can't believe we are in December already.

Megan1982:
I hate Mondays, it's always hard to get out of bed after a nice weekend off. I work in education, so my Saturdays and Sundays are always free. I thought this week would've been particularly hard because my school actually gets the whole week off. So, I've had a nice relaxing week of staying home. Now I'm counting the days until Christmas vacation :D

paperclippy:
wow, you have some awesome willpower. I have a huge sweet tooth :( and I wasn't able to say not to some of the desserts on the table. May be that's something I will try. i want to try to eat more cleanly.

traveling michele:
Oooh I love Sephora. I am planning on doing ALL my christmas shopping today. I like going to the mall, but usually I find better deals online.

JayEll:
lol. yes, someone please explain

CherryPie99
12-02-2013, 05:52 PM
LMAO -

Ok, I'll throw myself on the taint sword....

Nope I can't do it :o

But you'll find it in Urban Dictionary

alinnell
12-02-2013, 06:09 PM
LMAO -

Oh my! A word that ought to be added to Cards Against Humanity!

silverbirch
12-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Anyone who's familiar with the term will get some insight into my atypical sense of humor. :D

Yes. Er, good to know.

(Possibly)

BillBlueEyes
12-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Consider me now enlightened.

Or at least educated.

bargoo
12-02-2013, 06:26 PM
On the "cute babies" side of things here (http://i.imgur.com/4wgBkVv.jpg) is a photo DH sent me this morning.

They are adorable.

traveling michele
12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Consider me now enlightened.

Or at least educated.

I think I better wait until I'm not at work to look this up!:o

JayEll
12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
OK then... I can see why ICU was ROFL... but there are some things one wishes one could "unknow"...

Shannon in ATL
12-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I learned the word 'taint' a few years ago, and for the life of me I can't remember how. A Kevin Smith movie maybe? Either way, laughing with Becky, agreeing that some things can't be unseen JayEll, and please don't look it up at school, Michele. LOL

traveling michele
12-03-2013, 01:05 AM
I learned the word 'taint' a few years ago, and for the life of me I can't remember how. A Kevin Smith movie maybe? Either way, laughing with Becky, agreeing that some things can't be unseen JayEll, and please don't look it up at school, Michele. LOL

Glad I waited!! Hilarious!

Welcome Kiss Kiss! Congrats on your amazing loss and welcome to maintenance! What do you do in education? I'm an elementary school librarian and thoroughly enjoyed having last week off as well.

Mudpie
12-03-2013, 06:38 AM
LMAO -

I'm sure the censor here would have done an interesting job with the definition.

*&%^#@*

Dagmar :lol:

ICUwishing
12-03-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm glad everybody had a good laugh with me/at me, and I was going to recommend urbandictionary for later! That's a site you can waste a lot of time surfing. :D DH explained that word to me about 15 years ago. I hadn't heard it since (not like it's a word in common usage, thank goodness), and yet somehow it was perfection in that application.

kisskiss, welcome and congrats!

Went to the first holiday concert of the season last night, a wind symphony performance. Very nice. 4 of the 11 pieces were new compositions, and the composers were in attendance. Can't say it's shifted my mindset yet - I will not be fully into the Christmas whirlwinds for another week at least. Since we're getting the tree this weekend, I need to catch up!

Megan1982
12-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Man oh man, you guys complain when I talk about dog poo too much... ;) Glad I didn't look that one up at work. I would never visit urban dictionary from my work computer.

Joy, thanks for the recipe ideas. I was totally overlooking cabbage at the store! Even my local store's sad produce selection includes decent cabbage. I made a batch of the salad for my lunch today and it looks yummy. My local store doesn't sell tempeh, but I'll look for it when I go to the city. We've been eating baked potatoes lately after not having them for a while and they are delicious. That recipe might make an excellent topping.

Emma is doing much better but isn't back to normal. Last week when I took her to look for foreign bodies, they tried one last antibiotic shot and sent me home with more pills. That shot did something good. The next day she had her energy back and acted like her old self. She is still going to the bathroom a lot more than normal so I'm hoping that will diminish over time as her body continues to heal.

Michele, how are your back and uneven legs doing (that sounds weird - you know what I mean!)? Has the chiropractor helped?

Jessica, sorry about all the unhelpful relatives. I'm sure they just want to spend time with the girls, and don't get the urgency/in the way/baby wants mom now part. Jen is right, when they're just a little older it will be a much happier time of year and I'm sure you'll be welcoming those relatives who want to take them off your hands! That's such a cute picture of A & C. They're both smiling!

Alison, I'm laughing over your dad questioning the GPS and satellites. And the shopping cart. Can you throw out those leftovers yet?

Welcome kisskiss! Congratulations on reaching your goal! :carrot: We're a friendly bunch but I have to apologize now for how our conversations sometimes digress... we do occasionally talk about maintenance-related activities. :D

Have a great day everyone.

silverbirch
12-03-2013, 10:22 AM
kisskiss, I can tell you there's a bunch of weirdos here. I'm here to study them.

But really, glad you've joined us. We're a nice group and quite helpful.

BillBlueEyes
12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Not to change the subject, but I would better understand an historic novel set in 1651 England, The Peaceable Kingdom (http://www.amazon.com/Peaceable-Kingdom-American-saga/dp/B0006XQK1Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386081767&sr=1-1&keywords=the+peaceable+kingdom+jan+de+hartog), if I better understood Oliver Cromwell, the Protector.

Is there a one minute tutorial suitable for an American?

The Scots, Irish, and English seem to have different history books about him and, even within them, the key players seem to be on different sides depending on which page you read.

silverbirch
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
In a bit of a hurry but this is really C V Wedgwood's period. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_Wedgwood I think she's written something about O Cromwell.

Will think about it but I'm not very genned up on this period. I did the Tudors and Stuarts for 'A' level history but we didn't quite get up to this bit ...

Mind you, this is a fast response!

alinnell
12-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Good morning!

My house guests are leaving today around noon. This evening DH and I will clean out the fridge of unnecessary leftovers and toss all the pies. BIL did eat a couple slices last night (I don't know how--we went for Italian for dinner and I was stuffed!).

After two horrible nights, I finally got a good night sleep last night.

I have to call the vet about Ringo again. The constant barrage of new people the past week seems to have his bladder in a frenzy again. Both Sunday and again this morning he has followed me into a room where a litter box resides and pees. No straining, but a small amount, and then 5 minutes later he does it again. I think it's his way of telling me the issue is back although not yet as bad as it was.

And I have to take Chico to the oncologist in less than an hour. I'll report back, but I'm hoping this new food has been working and he hasn't lost more weight.

traveling michele
12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Megan-- I think my back/legs are finally on the mend-- thanks for asking. I'm not 100% but much better. I was worried on Sunday when I got stuck on the freeway after bringing dd to the airport (car fire and I was stopped for 45 minutes on the bridge so my trip home took over 1.5 hours). The rest of Sunday my legs/back bothered me but I went to bikram twice and that seemed to stretch me back out. I was much better yesterday.

Am I the only one that tries to holiday shop and ends up buying for myself? I ordered some great deals from White House Black Market last night-- they are offering 30% off everything (even sale) plus I save an extra 5% as a "member". I got 3 dresses (each normally $150) and a blouse for slightly over $100. I hope they all fit/ look good!

Didn't make it to yoga/gym yesterday and my weight is up 1.5 pounds today. Rather than sulk, I dressed cutely for work and I'm determined to be in a good mood. I'll exercise today and I'm sure (hopefully) my weight will be better tomorrow.

Now if I could only figure out what to get dh for Christmas....

traveling michele
12-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Allison-- you may have mentioned it but what food is it that you switched to? I bought Jozi some Honest Kitchen after much insistence from my dd. She tried it this morning and loved it (she refuses breakfast many mornings). I'm hoping she keeps loving it as she really needs to put weight on and get some energy. Fingers and paws crossed for Chico!

gardenerjoy
12-03-2013, 12:08 PM
kisskiss: I'm new here, too. I've been in maintenance for awhile but I kept trying to come up with something I could change to signify that I'm in maintenance. Turns out, I can't change anything or I start gaining weight. I need to eat the same, exercise the same, log the same. So, joining the maintainers chat is my "new" thing. It's been fun! And educational -- I learned a new vocabulary word today. :)
And, congrats on reaching your goal. You're awesome!

silverbirch
12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/cromwell_oliver.shtml

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/cromwell_england.htm

http://historysheroes.e2bn.org/hero/whowerethey/3

Interesting book you're reading. Ask me anything else you like about it.

alinnell
12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Allison-- you may have mentioned it but what food is it that you switched to? I bought Jozi some Honest Kitchen after much insistence from my dd. She tried it this morning and loved it (she refuses breakfast many mornings). I'm hoping she keeps loving it as she really needs to put weight on and get some energy. Fingers and paws crossed for Chico!

Michele~Honest Kitchen is a good food. Chico liked it, but didn't love it. And he didn't like having to wait for it to firm up. The food I got him is called My Perfect Pet. It's made from human grade meat and is made down in Poway and shipped frozen over night. Time to place a new order already!

We're back from the vet. Chico lost a couple pounds from when he wasn't eating but is looking very good. Red and white cells right where they should be but his creatinine went from 1 to 2 which is high. They're doing a urinalysis to see if he has a kidney infection. I've been mentioning to them for months that he's been drinking a lot of water (and peeing a lot) but until now they didn't seem it was an issue. Hope it isn't!

Mudpie
12-03-2013, 06:45 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/cromwell_oliver.shtml

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/cromwell_england.htm

http://historysheroes.e2bn.org/hero/whowerethey/3

Interesting book you're reading. Ask me anything else you like about it.

Just goes to show we CAN elevate our thoughts sometimes. From t'aint to Oliver Cromwell, in less than 24 hours. We are a versatile bunch!

Mudpie
12-03-2013, 06:47 PM
And I am AGAIN showing admirable restraint in NOT sharing what happened to the two dogs I was sitting on the last day. Many many paper towels and a lot of disinfectant were involved. :barf:

Dagmar :lol:

saraphin
12-03-2013, 06:57 PM
hi megan, i liked your post today. i'm completely new to this room/whatever so i hope you put up with my errors as i make them lol
i want to send away leftover food at xmas. i also want to maske some sweet things but i don't want to taste them!

neurodoc
12-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Cards Against Humanity- love that game, and I admit that despite a rather large vocabulary, I learned quite a few new words from it :>)

Bill - you elevated our conversation out of the gutter very nicely- I'm proud of you. And Silverbirch, nice of you to assist.

Dagmar, thank you for restraining yourself; we have had entirely too many bodily functions and body parts discussed on this forum recently.

Michele, when you order by mail, do you find the clothing generally fits you? I have such a love/hate relationship with mail order clothing, mostly because even 2 items that are the same size from the same store often fit differently depending on the cut. Do you try them on in the store first, then order when they go on sale, or just trust that they will fit?

CherryPie99
12-03-2013, 11:03 PM
If our conversations need to be "high brow" I better just make my exit now. :devil:

silverbirch
12-04-2013, 03:06 AM
CherryPie, I want to know about your garden. Have you put it to bed for the winter? Is anything bravely hanging on? Once again, I missed the autumn and my garden is in disarray: long grass, lavender not cut back, hedges unkempt - you name it. We're doing well for wildlife, though!

Mudpie
12-04-2013, 06:31 AM
CherryPie, I want to know about your garden. Have you put it to bed for the winter? Is anything bravely hanging on? Once again, I missed the autumn and my garden is in disarray: long grass, lavender not cut back, hedges unkempt - you name it. We're doing well for wildlife, though!

I used a service this year - two gardens and not enough time to look after both. I did pull all the frozen hosta leaves and dead maple leaves out of the front bed yesterday, only to discover that our downspout is disconnected to run straight down into the pillar that supports the front porch. Another thing for DH to fix.

I also trimmed down the holly a bit in the front. It has no berries - I think the opposite gender plant is in the back yard and we need both for berries to develop. I will transplant the one from the front next spring.

Somewhere there is a detailed 40 or so page account of what's in the garden out back and tips for caring for it. I think it's in the shed - must go out back and look. I so look forward to only having ONE garden to care for - the last 5 years I've had anywhere from 2-4 at once. My back is not so keen on all that stooping.

Dagmar :rain:

ICUwishing
12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Agreed - one exploration of the urbandictionary is quite enough. I'll go back to being civilized. Just keep in mind that I spent my first five years after college in an automotive assembly plant in Flint on the night shift ... and nobody emerges from an experience like that unscathed. ;) But I know how to pull on the "mostly acceptable" mask.

Dagmar - that's neat that somebody took all the time to write down what's there and what you can do. That would be great winter reading. I empathize with you about the stooping. There's nothing quite like trying to get up off the ground after spending an hour rooting in the dirt.

Jen, on the topic of games, if you haven't played "Thingz" in low-brow company, I highly recommend it. :D

Silver, I too missed the fall cleanup. I am looking out my dining room window at a flower bed that's been almost overwhelmed by some ornamental grass. Not nice at all.

Joy - I forgot to thank you for the vegetarian cookbook recommendations! I browsed them online and added them to my Christmas list.

Allison - good to hear that Chico is bouncing back. Hopefully Ringo will do so too, now that things are back to normal around your house. Poor guy!

Michele - no, you're not the only one! My favorite catalogs keep sending me all these killer deals for Christmas, and it's very distracting. December's budget is only so big! I love WHBM; sounds like you scored!

Today's a big day for me. It's time to renovate our master bath (even though the siding project, now a year old, won't complete til spring) due to functional problems. The shower enclosure has begun to leak thru the pan, plus the whole room's vibe is late 70's with brown tile with gold flecks - and CARPET on the floor. I am at the point where I'm willing to take a second job to pay for ripping it all out. I have to go in there at least twice a day, and I need it not to make me clench my teeth every time. So I'm meeting with a designer. Hoping that my tastes don't translate to obscene $$$.

paperclippy
12-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Welcome saraphin! :welcome:

Bill, whenever I need to know about a historical figure I go straight to wikipedia. All I know about Cromwell (and I haven't read saef's links or wikipedia) is that he led some kind of revolution in the 1600s to overthrow the monarchy, then was the leader of the government for a little while until the monarchy was reinstated, and that was the end of absolute monarchy and the beginning of constitutional monarchy. Or something like that anyway.

DH cleaned up our garden for the winter at some point. I'm not sure when it happened but I looked outside and all the dead underbrush was gone, so he must have done something! :lol: Our holly has berries for the first time this year. It's supposed to be a hybrid kind that can produce berries on its own but we've had it several years and this is the first time it's done it. I mostly picked it out because I liked its leaves anyway!

For the gardeners, I have to say, our most reliable crop year after year has been GARLIC! I haven't bought garlic at the store in years. DH plants a bunch in the fall, then we get garlic scapes (the garlic flower stems) in the spring, then harvest the bulbs and leave them to dry in the garage/basement. We end up using up the last of them about the time the next batch is ready, and I eat a lot of garlic!

There is something going on with one of my contact lenses this morning. :-/ I rinsed my eye with saline solution but if it doesn't clear up I may have to go home from work to get my glasses or a new pair of contacts. Annoying! There doesn't appear to be anything in my eye or on the lens so I don't know what's going on. Maybe it will clear up on its own in a little while.

In other news, the twins slept GREAT last night. We only had to get up to feed them the one time, and they actually slept until 6am on the dot (past few days they have been up at 3:30/4 and then refuse to sleep after 5am). I think the couple of naps that DH let them cry it out the other day let them learn a little bit how to put themselves back to sleep because there were a couple times I woke up to them making noise on the monitor but they went back to sleep in just a few minutes.

On the other hand, my alma mater decided that 9:30pm was the perfect time to call asking for money, which interrupted my "long" sleep stretch (8pm-12:30am). I politely told them that we were in bed and they should call during the day. I'm pretty sure that the poor student who was calling me didn't realize I was in the eastern time zone.

Megan1982
12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Somewhere there is a detailed 40 or so page account of what's in the garden out back and tips for caring for it. I think it's in the shed - must go out back and look. I so look forward to only having ONE garden to care for - the last 5 years I've had anywhere from 2-4 at once. My back is not so keen on all that stooping.

Does that mean that a former owner wrote all that down? Wow. Someone must have really cared about the future welfare of their plants. About two weeks ago I finally got romaine, mixed greens, broccoli, snow peas, and kale seedlings down in my winter veggie garden. They seem to be doing ok but have a lot of growing to do. I was late this year.

I had choral rehearsal last night and have an extra one coming up on Thursday. Our winter concerts are this Saturday & Sunday. We're singing Christmas music and mostly more contemporary carols including a Charlie Brown Christmas medley. Hearing the Charlie Brown puts me in the holiday spirit no matter what. I'm REALLY looking forward to yoga tonight and hope to do some Christmas shopping online (my mom is asking me about items - the pressure is on). I chopped up a butternut squash last night to roast tonight, and there's leftover chicken, so dinner will be easy.

Joy, yummy cabbage salad! Except I made it and ate it for lunch, and then looked back at the recipe: "serves 2-4". Oops. :faint:

Andrea, it's almost impossible for me to mail order clothing for the sizing reasons you mentioned. When I do shop, I just order things in two sizes and accept that I will send most items back. I consider the return shipping my fee for not driving to the city and dealing with the hassle of stores.

Welcome saraphin! Glad to have you with us. :)

CherryPie99
12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Oh boy! Here in Northern NY everything is dead and gone by September! All the flower gardens as well as our vegetable garden are covered in about 6 inches of snow and the only things sticking out are little black stems that I didn't cut back!!!

I am, however, still enjoying all the spaghetti squash we grew over the summer - that seems to last a LONG time even in the house! And I have a TON of green beans, yellow beans, and sugar snap peas that I harvested, blanched, and froze that I am enjoying for dinners.

I will have to go through in the early spring and cut back everything that is dead from the flower gardens that I didn't get to in the fall!

Jen

silverbirch
12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh boy! Here in Northern NY everything is dead and gone by September! All the flower gardens as well as our vegetable garden are covered in about 6 inches of snow and the only things sticking out are little black stems that I didn't cut back!!!

Hmm. I didn't know it was that early. I forget about continental climate as it's so temperate here by comparison. But you're still running outside? How on earth do you manage that? (We don't seem to have a cold smiley.)

paperclippy
12-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Saef, here is the one you're looking for ("brr") :brr:

And they do make quite a lot of high-tech gear to keep you warm running in cold temps!

alinnell
12-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Jessica~if your eye is bugging you and there isn't anything on your contacts, you may have an abrasion. Wearing glasses for the rest of the day will allow your eye to heal. Thankfully eye abrasions heal quickly!

I got my house back! All the guests are gone and I spent an hour or so after a long day of work getting everything cleaned up and mostly put back together. I threw out all the pies and then gathered all the leftovers and fixed reasonable plates for reheating for dinner last night and then threw everything else away. Well, except for the turkey which I bagged and froze for casseroles in the future.

My dad flew into SLC yesterday afternoon and as I understood it, it would have been better for him to have stayed here. I guess they had a tremendous snow storm all day and my SIL said she never got out of first gear on the freeway going home. The normal 30 minute drive took close to 2 hours. Have I mentioned how much I prefer the weather here?

DH picked up meds for Ringo at the compounding pharmacy last night. The vet didn't have the right dosage, so we had to go this route which make my job of dosing him more difficult. The e-vet had given us teeny tiny pills that were easily hidden in a pill pocket, but the compounding pharmacy filled small gelatin caps. I ended up pouring the contents into two pill pockets and sealing them up but he only wanted to eat one. I suppose he tasted the medicine in there so I ended up having to force the other one down him. But it is already working so I'll continue doing what I have to. He rewarded me with a long lap nap last night--something he couldn't do the past week or so because of all the commotion in our house.

traveling michele
12-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Michele, when you order by mail, do you find the clothing generally fits you? I have such a love/hate relationship with mail order clothing, mostly because even 2 items that are the same size from the same store often fit differently depending on the cut. Do you try them on in the store first, then order when they go on sale, or just trust that they will fit?

I don't order much by mail usually except WHBM as I know my sizing there. I read the reviews and order accordingly. I ordered one dress in a size smaller than usual due to the reviews saying it runs large. I can send them back with no charge so I usually end up keeping some and returning some.

gardenerjoy
12-04-2013, 11:36 AM
ICUwishing: glad you liked the vegetarian cookbooks -- great for Christmas getting!

Megan: cool that the cabbage salad worked for you. I bought a cabbage yesterday! They stay cheap all winter, right through St. Patrick's Day! I eat huge salads every day, cabbage or otherwise. I'm sure I eat what a regular eater would consider 4 servings.

I'm attempting mail order clothes for the first time since I lost the weight. We'll see how that goes. I used to enjoy the luxury of having my house as my changing room. While I was losing weight, I shopped in stores because there was no predicting what would fit. Even at normal weight, I still don't seem to have the sort of body that clothes are made for. I'm also pickier about how things fit than when I was heavy (at which time, I preferred loose and hanging). I wanted to try mail order once more before giving up. Should get a big package this week!

BillBlueEyes
12-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the links, silverbirch, I'm off to become a tad better aware of Cromwell.

For those who wonder if this is appropriate discussion for 3 Fat Chicks, here are two points extracted from the links that describe the Cromwell Diet to help those feeling challenged by the eating season ahead: To keep the population’s mind on religion, instead of having feast days to celebrate the saints (as had been common in Medieval England), one day in every month was a fast day - you did not eat all day.

Cromwell banned Christmas as people would have known it then. By the C17th, Christmas had become a holiday of celebration and enjoyment - especially after the problems caused by the civil war. Cromwell wanted it returned to a religious celebration where people thought about the birth of Jesus rather than ate and drank too much. In London, soldiers were ordered to go round the streets and take, by force if necessary, food being cooked for a Christmas celebration. The smell of a goose being cooked could bring trouble.
When I name myself The Protector, I'll add cookies to that list enforced by the soldiers.

traveling michele
12-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Joy-- please report back! Hope your shopping experience is a success!

The heater doesn't seem to be working today in the library. This has happened the last few years when it gets really cold. I hate cold. I'm cranky. Think I'll go do jumping jacks. Bikram will feel great tonight!!

CherryPie99
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Hmm. I didn't know it was that early. I forget about continental climate as it's so temperate here by comparison. But you're still running outside? How on earth do you manage that? (We don't seem to have a cold smiley.)

Frankly, it sucks. The last 2 Sundays I've used the "high tech" gear Jessica spoke of - the TREADMILL :D I ran 13 miles and 10 miles respectively while watching football.

But I ran outside yesterday on my lunch hour and just dress in layers with thick gloves. My core always stays pretty warm, but my feet and hands and face get really cold. Plus there are idiots who don't shovel their sidewalks and there were places of uneven hard packed snow - so I moved into the road and then that pisses off drivers!!

Jen

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Jen - I've been using the treadmill and elliptical the last two weeks because we have been having constant rains. Today looks like clouds but no rain, I needs to get outside.

Joy - I do okay with online shopping with companies I know my sizing. I just got a box with ten dresses from Land's End I got on super sale, only one didn't fit - it was a new style I've not tried.

Michele - thanks for the WHBM link, I got my mom's gift there yesterday for a great price. Managed to not shop for myself, see the above LE order as my reason why. LOL

Megan - I'm making your broccoli cheese soup tonight, any prep tips?

:wave: to everyone else.

CherryPie99
12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Jen - I've been using the treadmill and elliptical the last two weeks because we have been having constant rains. Today looks like clouds but no rain, I needs to get outside.

I prefer running outside, but I also HATE the cold! I was thinking on Sunday - why would I be MISERABLE out running in the cold in the morning and then spend the afternoon sitting on my butt watching the football game?

Instead we went to a craft show in the morning and while I watched the game I ran. Two birds - one stone.

Some hard core runners act like it's a badge of honor to run in sub zero temps and if there is something dishonest about running on the treadmill.

I say that TAINT true :cool:

Jen

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I prefer running outside, but I also HATE the cold! I was thinking on Sunday - why would I be MISERABLE out running in the cold in the morning and then spend the afternoon sitting on my butt watching the football game?

Instead we went to a craft show in the morning and while I watched the game I ran. Two birds - one stone.

Some hard core runners act like it's a badge of honor to run in sub zero temps and if there is something dishonest about running on the treadmill.

I say that TAINT true :cool:

Jen

LOL :)

I'm the same way with the rain. I have a friend who gets out rain or shine and gives me crap for not getting out there. Um, why? Why do I want to have to stuff my shoes with paper and wear vaseline on my feet to keep the blisters down and chafe all over? Why?

Megan1982
12-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Megan - I'm making your broccoli cheese soup tonight, any prep tips?

Nope. I found the directions pretty straightforward and cook time including chopping and grating only about half an hour. It was easy and delicious! Enjoy!

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I've never peeled broccoli before, this should be fun. :)

silverbirch
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
How are you getting on with all those tiny florets? Peeling those is a bit fussy, I think. :)

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
How are you getting on with all those tiny florets? Peeling those is a bit fussy, I think. :)

LOL Don't say that Birchie, or I'll think I have to peel those, too. The recipe says just peel the stems. As my OCD goes a little nuts on that kind of thing I'll have to not peel all the way up to the floret for balance or anything crazy. I'll be doing it when I get home, I'll let you know. :)

alinnell
12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
You only have to peel the stems if you plan on using the stems. I usually throw the stems away as I don't like that part. All the little stems can be left alone. And it would be broccoli genocide to try to peel the florets!

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Megan's soup recipe calls for peeling the stems and using them as the base of the soup. I'm going to give it a shot, and if it turns out terrible I'll toss in lots of florets next time. LOL Good to know i don't have to peel the little ones, Allison. I hadn't thought that all the way through.

silverbirch
12-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I seem to remember that the stems are the most nutritious part. I cut them up as coins to make it go further and they do taste the best.

I must go to bed.

saraphin
12-04-2013, 07:22 PM
thanx paperclippy, i'm still negotiating my way around so i hope to chat again soon

saraphin
12-04-2013, 07:25 PM
thanx megan

saraphin
12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
megan and andrea. hi there. i can't seem to find anyone who measures in kilo's but it's all fat anyway lol. i have shopped online A LOT and THINGS NEVER FIT so i've sold them off at garage sales for $1.00 or have donated them to st vinnies or something…..i understand. i hate the hassle of shops though. lately i ordered a SMALL dr who t-shirt. it hasn't arrived yet ... it was cheap…$10.00! well i'm nearly halfway to my goal and feeling ok. i squeezed into some jeans the other day….a few more kilo's to go there haha. thanx for the lovely welcomes, again! xxx

bargoo
12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
kisskiss: I'm new here, too. I've been in maintenance for awhile but I kept trying to come up with something I could change to signify that I'm in maintenance. Turns out, I can't change anything or I start gaining weight. I need to eat the same, exercise the same, log the same. So, joining the maintainers chat is my "new" thing. It's been fun! And educational -- I learned a new vocabulary word today. :)
And, congrats on reaching your goal. You're awesome!

I dieted many times only to regain faster than I lost. When I reached goal last time I asked those long term maintainers how they did it. Their answer was revolutionary to me. We maintained the same way we lost. I decided to give it a try.I still count calories, still plan all meals ahead of time. And guess what ! It works !

Shannon in ATL
12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey there saraphin and kisskiss! Good to 'meet' you guys! :)

I made the healthified broccoli cheese soup last night, and it was fantastic. I learned that it is hard to peel broccoli stems, but not nearly as hard as I made it into. It took me a little over an hour from beginning to end, but I didn't have a good flow. Next time will be better. :) DH has already eaten leftover soup for breakfast today.

gardenerjoy
12-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I learned from Julia Child, I think, to peel the broccoli stem from bottom to top. Mostly it goes faster because where ever the peel breaks is where I stop -- anything above that I consider too small of a stem to worry about.

traveling michele
12-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Hey there saraphin and kisskiss! Good to 'meet' you guys! :)

I made the healthified broccoli cheese soup last night, and it was fantastic. I learned that it is hard to peel broccoli stems, but not nearly as hard as I made it into. It took me a little over an hour from beginning to end, but I didn't have a good flow. Next time will be better. :) DH has already eaten leftover soup for breakfast today.

Ditto on the hello's!

I'll have to look for the recipe now-- it was 21 outside today as I was driving to work and I know that isn't cold for some of you, but I'm a huge wimp!

Couple that with my weight creeping up all week and not being able to find warm clothes that looked decent on me this morning, and I'm a tad (ok a lot) cranky today.

alinnell
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I'll be making soup tomorrow, but I can't say it'll be healthy. I need to use up a quart and a half of heavy cream and decided to make clam chowder. Then on Sunday I'm using up the mashed potatoes I "found" in the fridge and making a shepherd's pie. The mashed potatoes were definitely a discovery. When I fixed leftovers on Sunday I got everything out of fridge #2 and heated it all up and there were no mashed potatoes, but everyone said there was enough of everything else and not to worry about it. The next morning, while searching for something for breakfast in fridge #1, I found them. Then I remembered MIL putting them in there. Since they hadn't gone through the reheating I decided not to toss them with all the rest of the leftovers and decided to make the pie. Both the soup and pie will be good for this cold snap we're having.

DH and I are supposed to go down to Menifee on Saturday for a golf tournament. DH is starting to balk because it's not going to be warm at all. I'd still like to go. I'm even planning on doing my grocery shopping tomorrow night so I'll be prepared for a whole day away from home.

Shannon in ATL
12-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Joy - I watched a youtube video on peeling broccoli stems from a man who posts a lot of stir fry recipes. His technique worked well - he cuts the bottom off the stem, leaves about 1/8 inch, or just to the edge of the skin on one side, and uses that piece to peel up the length, then peels all the way around from the cut edge on the bottom. The only thing I will do differently next time is start the subsequent strips with a small knife instead of my thumbnail - the peel was thick enough that it cut under my thumbnail. It was much easier than I expected, and I also just stopped when the peel stopped.

Michele - it is 71 here right now. In December.

silverbirch
12-05-2013, 12:33 PM
:welcome3: saraphin. I work in kilos sometimes (we're kind of bilingual in GB) and I think gardenerjoy does too (for other reasons).

Michele and Shannon - extraordinary temperature differences!

kisskiss, bargoo's right that many maintainers will say to keep on doing the same thing as when losing and it seems to work for many. It doesn't work for everyone, though, especially when something changes in their lives (hormones, moving, relationships, something unknown perhaps etc etc). That's when it becomes very difficult. Neurodoc's been wrestling with this over on the 5-10 thread.

On that note, after my tedious and non-sufficiently-productive clothes shopping trip I'm back to having apple and cottage cheese for morning and afternoon snacks. What seemed to change for me was getting injured and not being able to get back into lifting in any serious way.

Shannon in ATL
12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Birchie - I'm sorry about your clothing trip, I hate shopping for clothes in the best of situations. I've been chatting with Steve Troutman lately, a personal trainer I know, about writing me a training plan. I felt like I wasn't going in a positive direction, and was interested in having him write me an exercise routine or something. After several back and forth about my goals, my diet, my knowledge base, my comfort level with programs here is what he said:

"Everything I would recommend to you in a program would be summed up into the following:

Get your nutrition under wraps since everything else matters very very little if this part isn't aligned. And the distant second would be the exercise, which, at your current height and weight, is going to require a much larger emphasis toward strength training rather than conditioning... so essentially the opposite of what you're currently doing.

You seem to be focusing primarily on the exercise part which honestly becomes an exercise in hairsplitting once the primary fundamentals are accounted for. There are endless ways of packaging the fundamentals and everyone wants you to believe that they've found the best way, which is total bs. But again, none of this matters a whole heck of a lot if the nutrition isn't consistent and appropriate. If you cleaned that up, did some basic strength training 3 days per week or so, and did some basic conditioning work as needed, I think you would head in the desired direction."

It was interesting to hear him say out loud that I needed more strength training and diet control and less cardio. In our discussions and reading some of his articles on his site he said that resistance training was especially important to 'women over a certain age' (he tactfully didn't say what that age was, but as I'm 41 I'll say that over 40 is what he meant... :) ) I thought about this when you talked about not being able to do much weight lifting after your injury. Are you able to do any yet? Or are there any mods you could make?

I'm trying to eat more intuitively, while still tracking calories. Trying to let go of the several mini meals and snacks a day plan I was using back when I was more heavy in the weight lifting forum. Pushing protein, limiting carbs. You mentioned adjusting your mini meal plan, has it helped any?

kisskiss
12-05-2013, 01:27 PM
ICUwishing:carpet in a bathroom? lol never seen a bathroom with carpet, but it sounds a little bit unique, even charming.

Megan1982: winter concerts sound fun! you sing or play an instrument? I've also just purchased a groupon for Yoga but I have yet to go. I've had some back issues, so not sure if I should wait until I'm 100 % or if yoga can help me in the process of getting better...any suggestions?

Jen: are you a marathon runner? Or you run short distances? I joined SRLA and had fun (even ran a 10k :D ) but I had to stop because I pulled my back :( I was looking forward to running the LA Marathon but don't think I'll be able to do it until the next next one.

bargoo:
thanks, that's good advice! I figured I'd still always count calories, just wonder how much I should be upping them to if I decide to call this goal (still think I might go for 5-10 more pounds).

traveling michele: it was about 45 out in Los Angeles today and I was freezing!! So, I think I might be more of a wimp!

silverbirch:
Thank you for the advice. The good thing is I've been counting calories and exercising for the last 3 years, so it's kind of a habit that I don't see really leaving me. Hopefully.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Y'all are a fast talking group! It's awesome. I had to go through the thread and have no idea how such a wide range of topics was covered in less that a week! lol gardening, cromwell, broccoli soup, t'aint? had me very entertained :D

I'm getting my credential in elementary educatoin...someone asked, but I can't find that post now.

CherryPie99
12-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Jen: are you a marathon runner? Or you run short distances? I joined SRLA and had fun (even ran a 10k :D ) but I had to stop because I pulled my back :( I was looking forward to running the LA Marathon but don't think I'll be able to do it until the next next one.

Hi kisskiss and welcome!!

I run about 30-35 miles a week. I run during my lunch hour and run 7 miles 3X per week. On Sundays I do a "long run" which is typically in the 10-15 mile neighborhood. The longest distance I have ever run is 18 miles. I have run 2 1/2 marathons. My favorite distance race is 10K. I got first place female in 2 of those this year and 2nd place in another one.

I don't see myself ever running a marathon.

Can you run at all right now?

Jen

Megan1982
12-05-2013, 10:40 PM
kisskiss, I sing in my local choral group. I am sort of trying to learn guitar but haven't gotten very far. Re: yoga, I personally find that if I'm a little sore it can be good for me. If I'm hurt, it's too much and I skip class or sit out some moves. My teacher also practices hatha yoga and is very good about watching us and reminding us not to push our bodies too far or to stop if something hurts. I've been in other classes where a teacher can't pay attention to everyone, doesn't ask if people are new or expert, and starts doing advanced poses left and right. That type of class might not be good for your back. Maybe you could call the yoga studio and ask if your groupon includes beginner classes or what they would recommend.

IMHO yoga can be great to strengthen your core including back muscles to help prevent future back troubles, but you don't want to try to strengthen when you are hurt. It's not going to work and it will just hurt more.

newleaf123
12-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Read the first few pages, will catch up more later. I'm choosing NOT to learn the new vocabulary word, since I was scarred the last time I looked one up... LOL

paperClippy my DH was raised as a conservative Jew, I was raised as a non-practicing Jew. I wish my boys had a stronger religious upbringing than they do, but I left it in DHs hands, and, well, you see where we are. We light the candles on Chanukah and recite the blessing as a counterbalance to all the Christmas out there, but that's about it. It's more than I was raised with, though, and I figure I turned out okay...

CherryPie99
12-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Morning all!

For anyone who is interested, I was interviewed by someone a month or so ago for a podcast and he has now posted that...

http://podnova.com/add.html#url=http%3A%2F%2Ftrimendeavors.libsyn.com %2Frss

Jen

traveling michele
12-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Shannon-- I'm percolating on what the trainer said to you. Food for thought indeed (pun intended). What would be considered conditioning? Cardio? Since I do bikram yoga most days and supplement in some other exercise, I'm not sure if I'm doing what's best for me (as I'm also at that age!).....

The dumb scale isn't cooperating either. I'm trying not to give in and pout (and eat). We are about to have a baby shower for 4 babies at school (3 teachers-- one with twins). Our school pops babies out like nobodies business!! I'll avoid all the sweets and temptations.....

gardenerjoy
12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
CherryPie99: That's so cool! I'm listening, now!

alinnell
12-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I tend to agree that weight training is better for weight loss and fat loss. I understand the need for cardio as well, but didn't see great results when doing just cardio. That said, long distance runners tend to be the leanest people out there, so that just goes against everything I just said. So really, who knows?

As for the discussion on religion, DH was raised Mormon and I was raised Lutheran. Being a Lutheran in a predominately Mormon state was difficult and it really put a bad taste in my mouth. DH and his family stopped going to church when he was a teen. I never wanted to go to church but got dragged anyway (especially on the big days). DH and I didn't place a lot of importance on church and never took our kids (although both were baptized as Lutheran at my parent's church). At one time, my DD decided she "needed" religion and went to a couple churches to try them out. All it did was get her on a couple mailing lists that send her copious amounts of literature she no longer wants. She now believes she is atheist (although I think agnostic is more the way she feels). DS doesn't seem to feel one way or the other.

DH and I were supposed to golf tomorrow in a tournament and they're predicting cold, rainy weather. Both DH and I are borderline fighting a cold (slight sore throat, slight cough, slight runny nose) no "real" symptoms but enough for us to decide to bag the tournament. In lieu of that, I'm hoping to get out early Saturday to finish my Christmas shopping and then come home and get it all wrapped. I have a couple boxes that I'll need to ship so I need to get those ready as well.

If all goes well, I can even get some Christmas decorating done on Sunday and perhaps DH will string some lights outside.

I started listening to the podcast but had to give it up--too many interruptions here at work. I'll try to find time to listen this weekend.

alinnell
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Michele~when your DH is in China, where is he? Seeing those photos of Shanghai today are horrible! The air quality is so bad they even had to cancel flights!

gardenerjoy
12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Loved the podcast, Jen (CherryPie99)! My new favorite phrase is "suck it up, princess!"

silverbirch
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Shannon, very interesting stuff from Steve Troutman here, in fantastic trainerese!

I've been chatting with Steve Troutman lately, a personal trainer I know, about writing me a training plan. I felt like I wasn't going in a positive direction, and was interested in having him write me an exercise routine or something. After several back and forth about my goals, my diet, my knowledge base, my comfort level with programs here is what he said:

"Everything I would recommend to you in a program would be summed up into the following:

Get your nutrition under wraps since everything else matters very very little if this part isn't aligned. And the distant second would be the exercise, which, at your current height and weight, is going to require a much larger emphasis toward strength training rather than conditioning... so essentially the opposite of what you're currently doing.

<snip> none of this matters a whole heck of a lot if the nutrition isn't consistent and appropriate. If you cleaned that up, did some basic strength training 3 days per week or so, and did some basic conditioning work as needed, I think you would head in the desired direction."

<snip>

I'm trying to eat more intuitively, while still tracking calories. Trying to let go of the several mini meals and snacks a day plan I was using back when I was more heavy in the weight lifting forum. Pushing protein, limiting carbs. You mentioned adjusting your mini meal plan, has it helped any?

Yes, it's all about food - or nutrition as we call it in the weights world. No matter how silly I think the expression 'nutrition' is, actually it works for me. When I was weight training I ate accordingly. That was the aim: to fuel the body to build muscle. I remember quite clearly that three meals a day + two snacks (or perhaps five mini-meals) worked really, really well. And I also remember that having or not having supper (here, I mean something after the evening meal) made all the difference to losing weight or not. Shannon, we talked about that at the time - that was when you were in the heyday of working out.

I did try giving up M2 and M4 but that backfired, in that I ate more at M3 and M5 and felt slightly off-balance during the day. So I'm now back with 5 mini-meals. M2 and M4 are good old cottage cheese and apple, standards which serve me well (as gardenerjoy puts it). If those two meals are firmly in place (and eaten slowly and chewed well) then everything else seems to flow quite smoothly from that.

Re. training itself. Yes, I wave a few dumbbells about. I'm just embarking on a new programme which I worked on with my trainer. I am so injury-prone now that I'm taking it very slowly indeed. (This week it's my foot. But I'm taking courage from this. The whole chain is pushing the injury through and out from the SI joint to the hip, to the knee, to the ankle and now the foot. I treat each bit as it comes along but I think it should be out and in the bin by the New Year. :crossed: Overall, I think I'm much, much better at injury and how it all fits together.)

So, the takeaway message to me is to clean up the nutrition! And, even if I'm not going to lift heavy for a while, to act as though I'm a lifter.

ICUwishing
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I call myself agnostic, as my own definition of deity has grown so broad that nobody else will have me, :lol:

Jen, very cool! I will listen to the podcast tonight.

shannon, thanks for sharing what the trainer said. It totally makes sense to me, for whatever that's worth.

kisskiss, carpeted bathrooms were a thing back in the 70's. While I understand the desire to not stand on cold tile, bathrooms tend toward the warm and moist. Mix that with males ... nah, I am not going to take that any further! I informed the designers that the new floor absolutely must be something that can be wet-Swiffered and did not require annual sealing. Leaves me with a big selection of engineered wood and laminates, or the high-end sheet vinyls. I think I can work with that!

Allison, good luck fighting off that cold.

Michele, I hear you loud and clear on the pout 'n' eat. I am sure you'll successfully duck the goodies - you're a pro!

Crisis du jour has to do with finding a local tailor who can do complex (at least to me) work, and do it fast. The pants that go with DS's swing choir suit are well over two inches too large in the waist. Since October, I was told (and believed) that the correct size was being ordered. Nope. And he needs to wear them next Tuesday. We tried a belt and it looks worse than ridiculous. They'll need some serious work to look halfway decent. Found the right person ... now need to get kid and pants together with seamstress tonight. I can only imagine what this is going to cost me. More than the pants did, I'm sure. Grr.

paperclippy
12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Shannon, it's definitely true I have found that if your diet isn't what it needs to be then you can't lose weight. However, I find that doing exercise -- including cardio -- motivates me to eat better, so they do go hand in hand.

Michele, I think yoga in general is a weight-bearing exercise so I would count it as strength rather than cardio, unless you're doing "power yoga" or something that involves moving quickly rather than holding poses.

My diet is kind of all over the place. On the one hand, giving up dairy and soy basically means giving up all processed foods and desserts, so I'm effectively on a whole foods diet now. On the other hand, I do end up eating quite a lot of bread and corn products (like the corn chips I bought at the vending machine because I didn't have enough food from home with me today and the corn chips were the only non-dairy non-soy item there), and I used a goodly amount of olive oil cooking my dinner last night. I need a lot of food to keep producing milk for these two babies, but sometimes bread is a lot more convenient to grab than trying to find the time to cook more, since any time I spend cooking is time I'm not spending sleeping. I think I ate two dozen bagels this week.

Shannon in ATL
12-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Birchie - I remember when we first started talking about the mini meals, and they worked well for me for a long time. Then exercise got less consistent, I just wasn't always hungry. Now I'm trying to get back into my exercise pattern, and I find I'm doing 3 mail meals, and two snacks. The snacks are usually something like an orange or some beef jerky or something. I've been starving at about 5-5:30 every day lately, that is when I usually have the jerky and then get to exercise. I'm not willing to let go of my wine or beer with dinner and sometimes scotch after dinner, so I'm keeping the rest of the day in line to allow for that. :) Have you ever used resistance bands? Would they be lower impact for you?

Becky - hope you find a tailor. Eek.

Jen - going to check out your podcast this weekend! Woo!

Michele - I call yoga strength training, absolutely.

Jessica - have you had to give up dairy and soy because of the breast feeding?

Arctic Mama
12-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Ew on carpeted bathrooms! I spent a year and some months living in Great Britain as a kid and one of our rentals had carpeting in the bathroom. It was gross enough, until someone threw up and missed the toilet. My mom was none too pleased with that!

We'll just say on the religious point that I'm a conservative, reformed Christian. I do much prefer Easter to Christmas, though :)

Shannon - I believe that diet advice 100%. In my experience exercise is helpful for all sorts of things, but bodies are made in the kitchen. I am another one of those who finds I stay on plan better with food when I'm working out, too, but food much be the primary focus if my weight is up.

Jenn - cool on the podcast! And you run like a madwoman, which I knew from your blog already but it is still impressive ;)

Traveling Michele - baby showers are TOUGH! Socializing plus finger foods can be a big temptation if you don't have a plan or snacks in place. Good luck!

Alinnell - feel better! We're fighting sinus crud in this house and it makes doing things like putting up lights or, heck, even going out into the cold, sound quite unappealing.

Silverbirch - I never did so well with the small meals things - makes me graze. I'm more of an intermittent faster who then grazes in my five or six hour window. But spaced out meals make me food obsess. It's good that you identified what patterns work for you body and schedule, though! Bummer on being prone to injury, taking it slow can be frustrating.

ICU - good luck on the pants! Believe it or not, reducing fullness through the thigh and waist circumference is not actually an overly difficult alteration, and don't let them tell you differently. You could have even done it yourself with just basic sewing skills. If they charge you more than $25 for it I'd be raising an eyebrow, as it's maybe an hour of work for an experienced sewer.

Paperclippy - good luck with the diet! I always have to have things like nuts, hardboiled eggs, cooked meats, sardines, avocados and the like on hand - nursing makes me SO hungry and snacking on the wrong things just exacerbates it. A little prep work in the morning or on weekends goes a long way to keeping me out of the breadbasket :)

Arctic Mama
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Nothing much going on with me today. This is my husband's flex day from work, (he works nine hour days and gets every other Friday off) so he's doing computer work and hanging out with the kids while I slept in a bit and finish my bible study. As I mentioned above we have cold'/sinus junk so I'm sneezing my rear off and running through tissues like mad, but what can you do?

My plans today involve not slacking too badly on the homeschooling for the kids. (always tough for me when my husband is helping, I am much less lazy when it's up to me alone ), then I have to finish sewing a test pattern for a cloth diaper for my three year old son. If the fit is good I get to make five or six more. If it stinks I get to redraft my pattern. Then it's onto the drafting and sewing for the medium size for my daughter (9 months, that went fast!). I am thinking I can churn all these out by the end of the weekend if I work diligently and use my crockpot for the main meal for everyone (thus giving me a longer afternoon block of time before our evening routine). That's the big undertaking at the moment - I was in the middle of knitting a snow hat for my son but am short on yarn and had to order more, so it's on hold.

Today will have slightly less working hours than normal - my older two girls have a group piano lesson/open house tonight, and it's across town about 45 minutes away. This is not a big deal, but the ice rink the roads have become is! We had several weeks of hard freeze and now a warm period with sleet and rain, so it freezes on contact with the the ground and makes ice. I spend most of my year driving inclement weather conditions and this is still the very worst. I'll take a snowstorm over an inch of ice on everything, bar none.

Time to go be a responsible adult. Adios!

traveling michele
12-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Michele, I think yoga in general is a weight-bearing exercise so I would count it as strength rather than cardio, unless you're doing "power yoga" or something that involves moving quickly rather than holding poses.

Well, it is mostly strength training but because of the extreme heat and humidity, it becomes cardio as well. That's why it is supposed to be such great exercise.

My dh is usually in Beijing (the most polluted city in the world) but travels throughout China, including Shanghai this week. It sounds terrible and I have no desire to join him-- thank goodness we decided against moving.

I'm wondering if I need to shake up my diet plan.... anyone do the Ideal Protein diet?

paperclippy
12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Shannon, yes, I don't have conclusive evidence because who knows what changes from day to day with babies, but they have seemed to have less gas and less severe reflux on my current diet. Every time I've said, "Things are good, let's try dairy again," things have gotten worse, but like I said it might be coincidence too so who knows? Supposedly if it's a milk protein intolerance they should grow out of it pretty soon anyway, so I guess I should just keep retrying dairy every so often.

silverbirch
12-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Jessica, :hug:. I gather holding a baby upright to feed and afterwards for about half an hour really helps. I can see that might be difficult with twins. Also upright breast-feeding seems a bit challenging.

saef
12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Jen, on the podcast, you have such a vivid, energetic voice, with the Upstate NY accent that is so familiar and friendly-sounding to me, and the guy who's interviewing you has the "therapeutic" voice, that is, rather inflectionless, with the leading questions and neutral affirmations of what you're saying, that I started off by not liking him. He warms up as you go along, but you're the one whom I'd rather hang out with.

And I wanted to hug you when you talked about standing on the scale and seeing "119." Oh, honey. What an undertaking. Not everybody changes their life the way you have.

The interesting interview would be what has happened to our heads as a result of our self-reinvention. I still can't figure out where I am with regard to my mental health. My physical health is a lot better, yes, but with my mental health, I'd say it's a draw. I'm not abusing the food substance anymore but I'm still not quite right.

saef
12-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Oh, and the religious thing. Think of my background as a buffet. My father was Russian Orthodox but conflicted about his religious upbringing, so was willing to sign away his unborn children into Catholicism to marry my mother. And so I was raised Catholic, though in the folkways more than in the doctrine. I was part of a Catholic minority in a Protestant WASPy area, and vastly outnumbered by Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, Episcopalians and many Christian fundamentalists in my school who, if female, weren't allowed to wear pants or dance & had other rules that astonished me.

I knew nothing of Mormons till I heard about Donny Osmond, only later learned that my region of Upstate NY had been very important in the origins of the Mormon church. (I think most of the Mormons got chased west in the 19th century because I never knew any personally while growing up -- it seemed to be a regional western thing.)

Now, in my day to day life, in NY, I rarely run into Mormons. They are probably all in line in Times Square to see "Book of Mormon." They don't knock on doors much around here; the 7th Day Adventists do, as they seem to have actively recruited among South American and Caribbean immigrants around here. Rather than conservative Christians, what I encounter are their Jewish counterparts, the Jewish fundamentalists.

Now I'd describe myself as a curious agnostic. I try to respect people whose faith is important to them. One of my very good friends is a female Methodist minister. Every other person I know seems to be exploring Buddhism. I know a lot of NY-area Catholic ethnic heritage people, Irish & Italian, but they are not good Catholics, they are kind of a la carte Catholics. I know a lot of Jewish people and several who describe themselves as "Jew-Boos" (think Jewish-Buddhists!) NY would not be NY without the Jewish culture and heritage it has.

I find religion to be a very fraught subject in conversation so I avoid it. This is all I'm going to say about it here, since I come to this forum for another subject entirely.

CherryPie99
12-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Loved the podcast, Jen (CherryPie99)! My new favorite phrase is "suck it up, princess!"

LOL - I literally say that OUT LOUD to myself many times per week. Is that weird? Glad you liked it!

Jen, on the podcast, you have such a vivid, energetic voice, with the Upstate NY accent that is so familiar and friendly-sounding to me, and the guy who's interviewing you has the "therapeutic" voice, that is, rather inflectionless, with the leading questions and neutral affirmations of what you're saying, that I started off by not liking him. He warms up as you go along, but you're the one whom I'd rather hang out with.

And I wanted to hug you when you talked about standing on the scale and seeing "119." Oh, honey. What an undertaking. Not everybody changes their life the way you have.

The interesting interview would be what has happened to our heads as a result of our self-reinvention. I still can't figure out where I am with regard to my mental health. My physical health is a lot better, yes, but with my mental health, I'd say it's a draw. I'm not abusing the food substance anymore but I'm still not quite right.

He was really nice, but he seems remarkably - uninformed? - about morbid obesity for someone who is pursuing what he is. But he clearly is well intentioned. I was thinking the exact same thing about the emotional impact - realizing we never talked about it at all. I'm betting he never even THOUGHT about there being an emotional component that seems to be the gift that keeps on giving.

I did surprise myself by getting so emotional when I talked about hitting goal. It came out of nowhere.

Listening back - I did a lot of theater, musical theater, and other stage work when I was in high school and college and I realize I was using my "Stage Voice" for the interview. Hope it wasn't too annoying.

And saef - Accent? What accent??!! :cool:

Jen

Mudpie
12-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Slow to catch up - giving my first dinner party :eek: tomorrow and I've forgotten how much work is involved. DH's and my few friends are coffee and muffin or, depending on the time of day, pizza and beer and chips and beer people.

I was schooled (and served) at a great many functions in my mom's house though. I am going a much less involved route and have DH to do a lot of chopping etc. The snag is that one of the guests is now a vegetarian so I had to do something that would work for her and for all the carnivores. I am eating the vegetarian meal to keep her company and because DH and I do vegetarian about 3X per week.

We are serving a quasi :shrug: tex-mex meal. Two kinds of dip (guac and salsa) with blue and yellow organic corn chips, black bean and sweet potato chili as the main, with a green salad on the side, and tropical fruit w greek yogurt and honey for dessert. There is also a later coffee and cookies/cake component. I have no shame in offering some of the many delectable baked goods made by someone else, as opposed to my mom who made buttercream tortes etc.

Booze :hat: is going to be limited to wine and beer and liquer with coffee. I don't drink (except for the occasional beers) so I'm hoping there won't be a lot left over. Kinda weird to send people home with 2 bottles of beer or half a bottle of wine (even though my family are well aware of my bad :barf: history with booze).

I just did a bit of housecleaning and I still HATE :mad: it as much as ever. My cleaners :angel: really do deserve their Christmas cash bonus and other gifts. I am not particularly worried about the house - all my guests are older than I am so I imagine their eyesight is about as good/poor as mine and it will be kinda dark too. :rofl:

Mudpie
12-07-2013, 04:18 PM
My parents were non-attending members of the Lutheran faith. I was baptized but elected to not go to communion or whatever it's called - I only know the Estonian word but it happens when you are about 13 or 14 years old.

My dad always called himself a "Christian" but he never did much to support that. My mom told me to "try out" whatever churches I liked, as long as they were within walking distance. :lol:

I perused the Anglicans, the united church, attended catholic church once, and was politely turned away from the local synagogue. I ended up going to the Anglican church with my best friend because they had a really "hot" Sunday school teacher who took us on a bunch of field trips. Can't remember the guy's name but he was pretty much the reason I got ANY religious exposure at all.

Now I tend to go with "let the force be with you" - that is I believe there is some sort of organizational force helping run the world but I don't think it's any one deity or anything like that. More of an energy field or something. We come from it and go back into it. I have an interest in Shinto and Buddhism but am in no way educated much about either.

I DO believe that everyone should have faith in something or someone - their choice what that is.

Dagmar :devil:

silverbirch
12-07-2013, 07:02 PM
My parents were non-attending members of the Lutheran faith. I was baptized but elected to not go to communion or whatever it's called - I only know the Estonian word but it happens when you are about 13 or 14 years old.

Confirmation is the word used here by the Anglican church. (There are very very few Lutherans here.)

Communion (aka Eucharist or Mass) is the taking of bread and wine during the service - for those who are confirmed or have made their first confession. Whether you believe the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ (transubstantiation) or merely represents them is the big dividing line. Catholics say yes it does, Anglicans and non-conformists say it doesn't. I don't know about all the Orthodox faiths but my guess is they'd say yes.

(I speak as though I know but it's from observation. I'm not signed up.)

alinnell
12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Oh, yeah, I had to go through confirmation in order to receive my first communion. Kind of like advanced Sunday school for junior high kids. Can't say I got much out of it.

I'm still fighting off this darn cold. Due to the rain on the coast we cancelled our golf tournament and I pretty much finished my Christmas shopping instead. I get a bit more satisfaction from that over driving 2 hours to golf for 5 hours and then drive 2 more hours home. I even got almost all of it wrapped and put away so the cats don't get into everything.

Golf tomorrow is also cancelled due to my not feeling up to snuff. It'd be quite cold, so this is for the better. DH got all the outside stuff from Thanksgiving put away so tomorrow he can work on some Christmas lights and I can do some indoor decorating. We debated a tree, but DH just laughed, "with our cats?"

traveling michele
12-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Hope the party went well Dagmar! Your menu sounds yummy!

Mudpie
12-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Hope the party went well Dagmar! Your menu sounds yummy!

The party is tonite. So far DH has spent 4 hours fixing the bathroom door so that it closes fully. I hope he gets the dips made before I need to get into the kitchen :rollpin: to cook or we will be serving corn chips and lime slices as the appetizer :lol:. If I cave now and make the dips DH promised to make I'll never get him to participate in entertaining.

I am still calm - for now. :yoga:

gardenerjoy
12-08-2013, 04:25 PM
We're having a quiet day here after a restaurant meal and a play last night. Wishing Mudpie good luck with her entertaining!

saraphin
12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
hi everyone. i nearly lost you!

xmas is coming, whether we like it or not. :):):)

my DH believes; i don't know what religion - an ordinary one , like uniting church or something. i was christened church of england like my departed Dad. but my mother is of the jewish faith.

she says i would be buried jewish, in a plain pine box, wityh nothing, because that's how we come into this world. that's what the jewish beliueve anyway.

fort me personally, well i believe in scientific fact. ;););)

that's right, i'm an atheist. :o:o:o

although i love churches, i am moved by spiritual celebrations and carols, and i love religious symbols. :):):)

go figure…:p:p:p

checking in…your menu sounds good to me mudpie. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

very funny, cherrypie…bfn everyone, i'll check in again later, take good care xxx

alinnell
12-08-2013, 07:54 PM
It's been a very quiet weekend here. And cold. Cold for us anyway. We cancelled our golf tournament Saturday because it was raining closer to the coast where the tournament was held and I really did catch a cold, so being out in cold, rainy, windy weather would not have been good for me. I finished my Christmas shopping (yay!) and got all that I have wrapped (there are still a few more arriving Monday and Tuesday). DH and I went out and had a nice lunch amid the little bit of showers we got here and had a quiet evening at home.

We were to golf this morning with my in-laws, but again, due the cold and my cold, we cancelled. This morning MIL texted to say that my FIL has the same symptoms as me and that they would stay home (usually they spend Sunday afternoons and evenings here). So another quiet day. I haven't stepped outside except to water my plants on the back patio. I attempted to nap, but couldn't fall asleep. Instead I've been reading a lot and helping DD with her Christmas shopping questions as she texts them to me. Oh, and playing Words with Friends.

I just finished putting together a shepherd's pie for dinner using up the mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving. I really thought I'd not gotten any of the leftovers but they were just shoved in the back of my kitchen fridge whereas all the other stuff was taken out to the garage fridge. Guess MIL doesn't know my methods.

saraphin
12-08-2013, 08:19 PM
:hug::hug::hug:mudpie you sound like me…i also hate house-work, my cleaner will need a bonus of sorts - i don't drink, i have a bad history with booze, same, same ...:hug::hug::hug:

my mum always cooked superb food and still does, but i hate cooking too. i like gardening, but…:p:p:p

optifast is going ok. i am wondering how you manage your busy lives as well as count calories. i do nothing and use optifast. it's easy because i just follow the plan. they've done all the nutrition counting for you.:):):)

it's clinically proven, medically sound and reccommended here by the bariatrric surgeons for very obese peoople. i'm at 85.4 kilo's now so not too bad next to som poor loves. i can imagine. i know what it's ;like. so hard. i have tried evewry diet in my life (i'm 55) until i found optifast. it is my answer..i give thanx for that, truly.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-chicks/chick01/kg/100/58/85.4/.png :hug::hug::hug: