Beck Diet Solution - Beck Diet For Life/Solution December 2013 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

bethFromDayton
12-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi all,

Today was a travel day--and we had breakfast/lunch out instead of Christmas meal leftovers, which made it much easier to stay OP. It is also day 15 of recording everything, so my streak continues.

We have almost no food in the house and it's a bite late tonight for me to be planning grocery shopping (we just got home a little bit ago). Breakfast and lunch are planned, though--after I finish this, I'll go to the freezer--there has to be something I can make for tomorrow--and just stop and get produce on the way home from work.

ForMyGirls: Congrats for having lost weight in Christmas week! I'm glad you had a great Christmas eve and morning with the girls!

maryann: Nothing like a techno-geek holiday! Definite credit having just one special meal. Here's hoping you can enjoy just one serving of your Mac and Cheese casserole.

nationalparker: My heart aches for you--I hope your mother improves--and your sister calms down. Big hugs for handling it all.

gardenerjoy: I hope the veggies and applesauce stayed compelling! Big credit for exercise during this busy time of year!

BillBE: Credit (and amazement) that you restrained from seconds on the stuffed pork loin!

seadwaters: Credit for tracking (I'll look in on your diary)--and big credit for keeping up on your steps. I cringed at your fall--back surgery recovery is no fun!

MikeB: I hope all is well.

CeeJay: I hope it was a great holiday for you!

Valkyrie1 Credit for planning for your celebration meals--it seems as if they're one after another this time of year.

systemsaddict: I hope your holiday went well!

Time to plan tomorrow and then go to bed. I'm not looking forward to working tomorrow--but at least it's likely to be quiet and I'll be able to be productive.

Take care, all.

shcirerf
12-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Stopping by.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks to this thread and the good folks here for helping me clarify things.:hug:

I know I'm not a frequent flier here, but, to National Parker and the current situation.

I have in the past, and currently have a lot of older relatives, that have been through a lot.

Most likely, your father is not angry, he is terrified! He is scared out of his mind, what is he going to do when your mother is gone.

Being from the "old School" breaking down, and being scared, and admitting it is not in his culture. So, he expresses in anger, not because he is angry, but given his back ground, age, etc. breaking down, and admitting he is scared and terrified out of his mind, is not going to happen. So, he does the best next thing he can think of, he gets mad.

I get that his attitude is nasty, but I can understand why he is doing what he is doing.

It may be time to look towards finding experts in the field of hospice, to help all of you.

They were a God send for our family.

Ok, all of that aside.

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!

Took a 4 mile walk today!:carrot:

We did All the holiday stuff on Sunday. Fun, fun fun.

The Dh and I just hung out today, never got out of the jammies, had lean healthy, yummy foods!

systemsaddict
12-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Thanks for your welcomes lovely people! Sorry for delayed reply, somehow yesterday got a bit busy around here ;)

Just a bit of background to introduce myself: I found the Beck book through an Amazon recommendation on my Kindle, and I am hoping it is what I need. Then Google led me here.

I have always had a chequered relationship with food, but successfully lost weight following a controlled-carb eating program in my 20s and maintained happily for 7 years. Then I had kids and life and food got derailed completely!

They are now 5 and 7 and I have had many attempts to get back onto an eating plan which works for me, which I know involves controlling carbs. Several attempts at getting back on one or other of the plans which work for me have been scuppered by turning to carbs to cope with the stresses of family life (plus full-time work) at some point.

I use food as my principal source of comfort and I know that I need to address that. CBT helped me a lot with mild post-natal depression a few years back, so I am hoping that this will also be the key I am looking for to get my eating back on track.

I need this to have energy, especially in the evenings when I crash completely, and to keep my mood stable. Weight loss would be a nice (and very necessary) bonus but the main motivator for me is feeling good. I'm still in the first 2 weeks of the program and working on eating sitting down, I hadn't realised how much standing-up eating I do automatically.

That'll do for now! Best wishes to all, especially nationalparker at such a difficult time.

BillBlueEyes
12-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies An on-plan Christmas day, CREDIT moi. I planned for our 'breakfast' that was cooked up after opening gifts. It happened about noon, so making it my lunch worked out. I spent the day not nibbling on the cranberry squares visible in the kitchen. By not having seconds on the stuffed pork roast at our big meal on Christmas Eve, some was available to eat as leftovers last night. Warmed up pork roast is heavenly. Streak goes to 36.

Exercise was opening presents all morning. Ouch for that. But we laughed and had such a good time. We open them one at a time so that everybody hears the hint written on the card and makes their own comments.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Just love the cogent, "skip anything that isn't special."

maryann - An OP Christmas Even away from home is Kudos worthy. Mac and cheese is a challenge for me also. I used to have seconds and even thirds. DW doesn't make it much anymore since it takes us so long to eat the whole thing. Neat that DS got what he wanted. I heard a Bose sound bar at Best Buy - awesome!

nationalparker Continuing to think of you and your family. Kudos for keeping sane while old sibling stuff is tweaked by your sister.

Beth (bethFromDayton) Yep, Kudos for acknowledging and moving on. Glad you made it home from frigid St. Louis.

ForMyGirls - Losing during Christmas is just the best.

janelle (shcirerf) - LOL at "never got out of the jammies" - now that's the good life. Kudos for "lean healthy, yummy foods" as well as that 4 mile walk.

systemsaddict - Recognize the "chequered relationship with food" bit. Kudos for recognizing the amount of eating while standing up.

Readers - day 9 Select an Exercise Plan

Planned Exercise
If you've been relatively sedentary, start with walking five minutes every day until it feel relatively easy. Then gradually add a minute at a time to your walk. Remind yourself that even five minute is better than zero minutes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 109.

BillBlueEyes
12-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies An on-plan Christmas day, CREDIT moi. I planned for our 'breakfast' that was cooked up after opening gifts. It happened about noon, so making it my lunch worked out. I spent the day not nibbling on the cranberry squares visible in the kitchen. By not having seconds on the stuffed pork roast at our big meal on Christmas Eve, some was available to eat as leftovers last night. Warmed up pork roast is heavenly. Streak goes to 36.

Exercise was opening presents all morning. Ouch for that. But we laughed and had such a good time. We open them one at a time so that everybody hears the hint written on the card and makes their own comments.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Just love the cogent, "skip anything that isn't special."

maryann - An OP Christmas Even away from home is Kudos worthy. Mac and cheese is a challenge for me also. I used to have seconds and even thirds. DW doesn't make it much anymore since it takes us so long to eat the whole thing. Neat that DS got what he wanted. I heard a Bose sound bar at Best Buy - awesome!

nationalparker Continuing to think of you and your family. Kudos for keeping sane while old sibling stuff is tweaked by your sister.

Beth (bethFromDayton) Yep, Kudos for acknowledging and moving on. Glad you made it home from frigid St. Louis.

ForMyGirls - Losing during Christmas is just the best.

janelle (shcirerf) - LOL at "never got out of the jammies" - now that's the good life. Kudos for "lean healthy, yummy foods" as well as that 4 mile walk.

systemsaddict - Recognize the "chequered relationship with food" bit. Kudos for recognizing the amount of eating while standing up.

Planned Exercise
If you've been relatively sedentary, start with walking five minutes every day until it feel relatively easy. Then gradually add a minute at a time to your walk. Remind yourself that even five minute is better than zero minutes.

ForMyGirls
12-26-2013, 05:50 AM
We did it - we cracked the century. And with room to spare - 103 points. Well done team. And now that I think about it it is an awfully long time since anyone was on zero :-)

My streak is at 21. I have had a happy day of pottering. The plan for the next couple of weeks is to spend an hour out gardening first thing in the morning while it is still cool enough and then spring clean one room of the house each day. my partner is a complete angel for cleaning far more often than I do but he does clean like a boy (all due respect to Bill and Mike and any other male participants I have forgotten about) so I am liking having the time to do the detail (skirting boards, dusting etc) that start to bug me after a while. Today I cleaned up one of the kiddie bedrooms. Extracted lots of clutter and some outgrown toys that they won't even notice are missing and reorganised the toy tubs. Never ceases to amaze me the way that the toys suddenly become exciting for them again when they are tidied up, rather than being a big jumble of stuff.

Also spent some time checking out the website Maryann sent a link to. Thank you for that - I think it will be very helpful.

My fella headed off on his travels this morning. I am enjoying the freedom of being totally by myself but it feels strange not to know how his day has been.

Ah - I realise I haven't given myself credit for anything yet - ummm - cooking myself interesting, yummy food even though it was tempting to 'slum it' with just me at home.

National parker - so sorry to hear of the scare with your Mom. You are doing such a good job of noticing what you are thinking and feeling through all these challenges.

SystemsAddict - thanks for sharing a bit of your story. It rang lots of bells for me - my littluns are 7 and 9, I also juggle full-time work with parenting and I had PND (though CBT didn't work for me in that context - mindfulness was my saviour there). I empathise with the challenges of eating sitting down - I still really struggle with that bit as life is so busy it is hard to resist just eating on the run.

Lexxiss
12-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Coaches!

Kudos to all of you who have posted through the holidays, so far, and have come up with many successful strategies to stay OP!

I've done well, yet did not follow a plan yesterday after an OP breakfast because I didn't make one. Ouch. I could have done better and I could have done far worse yet I'm back to basics today. credit.

Sending support to those who have had to negotiate around painful family situations, especially NationalParker. :hug:

Our holiday negotiated around great sadness...my BIL(Brothers DH) passed away on Saturday. We could not be with our 2 brothers, who reside in KeyWest. I am grateful my DB has decided to have a memorial when we can all attend as many of us could not have left home at this time (me included).

So, today I get back on track with food and my project.

Take care, all.

gardenerjoy
12-26-2013, 10:07 AM
My 100% OP streak count is 7.

I followed my plan well enough, but I've decided that I need a new response for meals out there: Just say no to desserts purchased from big box stores. They aren't special even if every one else acts like they are (I noticed that the nephew in wine sales didn't take any and he's the best arbiter of good taste in my life). Even a tiny portion is too much. Of course, I'll feel deprived if I skip dessert, but I can make a plan for that. They eat supper earlier than we do, so I always save a snack for later in the evening when I get home. I'll just make sure I have a good dessert-like snack available.

Credit for skipping the giant rolls, probably also purchased from the big box store. I probably would have enjoyed those more than the dessert, but they would have triggered cravings and I'm very happy to wake today without cravings.

Credit for doing a short workout when we got home so that I didn't break my long streak of days exercised.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +15 1140/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

systemsaddict: if you're looking for a low-carb plan, at least one person in this thread does South Beach and there is an active group on 3FC for support of that: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/. I've also been intrigued lately by someone I met on another thread who is doing something called The Slow Carb diet. She has an active thread about that going here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets/285287-slow-carb-diet.html

pamatga
12-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Hello all :wave::coffee: I am back after a much-needed break from the :comp:

:welcome2: systems addict. Glad to have you join this online Beck Diet Solution discussion group.

nationaparker My heartfelt empathy for your Christmas with the family. I went through this same scenario 5 years ago. Take care. :hug:

It sounds like everyone had a great time with family, friends and Santa as well.

gardenerjoy Thanks for the links. BTW, Medicare does pay for WLS and it is fast becoming one of the most performed surgeries in that age group. I kid you not! :?:

Credit: a Major Major Credit for me this past Christmas. It was the first time in my personal history where I not only followed my pre-planned food plan but also stayed within my calories as well as monitored carbs. I was on :cloud9: and I am not joking. I felt so empowered, all I could do for the rest of the very long night (we went to Midnight Mass and got home around 2 a.m.) was :D This proved to me that not only can I exercise my resistance muscle but showed me a glimpse of things to come for 2014.

For all of you who are enjoying your long streaks, :woohoo: For me, I will take it when it happens. I got to change my ticker earlier this week. I have now been on my Diabetes weight lose food plan coupled with using BDS since December 20th. This is only the beginning.

Take care, Pam :comp:

bethFromDayton
12-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

Today was OP food wise, although I changed my dinner plans when I got home from the grocery store. DH was napping and I didn't want to cook just for me, so I made something quicker--but OP. (and counted out 17 grapes) (17 is actually a nice sized quantity of grapes) I also realized I had a grocery run failure--I'm out of hummus. I'll be stopping at the store again tomorrow or Saturday!

I've got tomorrow all planned and entered into MFP. I really do do best when it's entered the night before and my lunch/snack are already packed before I go to bed. I had a plan for tomorrow but learned that we're going out to celebrate a friend's 70th--so I looked up my choices on their on-line menu and adjusted my plan accordingly.

I keep thinking about the "dry drunk" "white-knuckling" image that pamatga shared--she's right--I'm definitely white knuckling through my days a lot of times. If I don't see something, I generally don't think about it, but once I see it, it can sometimes be hard to talk myself down.

No exercise today--but it's going to be warmer this weekend so that will encourage me to get out and about.

Take care, all.

Oh--recording streak is now at 16.

GosfordGirl
12-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Hi Coaches
I was too exhausted to check in last night and have been running around this morning so in order to stay on track and on-streak I am checking in for yesterday.

It was not pretty is the summary - it was pretty good until I got home and had to make dinner and I had more carbs than I wanted because I was tired and hungry. Lunch was MacDonald's fries (I never eat those things) on the drive home out of desperation! And in the morning before I left I had a piece of Christmas cake - my sister had made 3 "because you like them so much" (not true). Anyway I caved and had some knowing that it was wheat and at that point every joint was aching anyway so...

The plan for today is to get back on plan and it is going well so far - will check in tonight with the outcome

BethFromDayton - Credit for continuing to log food and plan since the holidays. Enjoy that walk in the warmer weather;

Systemsaddict - I was surprised too at how much eating I did when I was standing - still catch myself. I wish you success in feeling good;

Pamatga - wonderful to read that you "felt so empowered" by staying on plan and within calories. Congratulations

ForMyGirls
12-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Hello coaches,

streak for me is up to 22. 106 points for the team as a whole. Yay us!

I had another nice day today with an hour of gardening and then spring cleaning another room (the kid's play room this time - I wait with baited breath to discover which of the Happy Meal toys from 3 years ago that has never been played with will turn out to the precious thing I shouldn't have thrown away!) Tomorrow will be my study - which was the "dump room" for things we couldn't work out where to put when we moved in last summer. It might turn out to be a 2 day job.

Credit to me today for saying "No" to an extra evening snack. Arguably it would have been OK because today ended up being more exercise than I expected - but it wasn't on plan and I'm not really hungry.

I have started pre-planning again. Mainly because with my lovely away I was worried I would fall into the "why cook for 1 person" trap and not have satisfying interesting food. Discovered the "meals" function on MFP which makes it sooooo much quicker to plan ahead so I might just stick with planning for a while. Makes it easier to stay in calories to adjust before you eat it!

Spent a chunk of time this afternoon working out a schedule that can accomodate the extra time-consuming tasks that will be involved in my living frugally campaign. Really hurts my head doing that stuff - makes me realise how incredibly time poor I am when I am not on holidays! Oh well. Came up with some plans that I will help I think - making sure that Saturdays are a 'day off' so I can recover from the busyness of the rest of the week - and have a set weekly menu of things that fit with the demands of the day (eg: super quick meal the day I have to pick kids up from activities at 5:30pm and 'stick in the oven for an hour' meals for the days I pick them up at 6pm).

Pamatga - I could see the smile on your face all the way from Australia!

Systemsaddict - When I started doing Beck I was doing a low card diet - an Australian one developed by CSIRO (a national scientific body - something like Commonwealth Science and Information Research Office). I changed partly because it got too expensive (heaps of meat in the diet) but also because I wasn't getting the energy kick I expected when I had lost some weight (so I figured it didn't suit me). It is a great diet for the fact that the high protein means you very very rarely feel hungry! I can send you links if you are interested.

GosfordGirl
12-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Hi Coaches

I am checking in for today to keep on track. Today I planned and bought food and stuck to my plan. I logged all food on MFP. I ate within an 8 hour window (1 pm to 8.30 pm) and had very low carbs which will have to continue for at least 2 weeks. I feel good that I stayed on plan and walked about 9000 steps today while doing chores.

I am not going to log weight until the new year and hope that I can by then reach the weight on the tracker as I am slightly over

have a good day coaches

systemsaddict
12-27-2013, 06:10 AM
At in laws at the moment who eat very sensibly - 2 balanced meals a day and no snacking - so the eating sitting down is much easier here! Home tomorrow and I plan 4 days toy sorting before back to work on 2nd, so am inspired by ForMyGirls' adventures! I have also set a schedule for meal prep and exercise which is feasible, so I am nearly ready to start actually eating well. Thanks for the links to low carb plans, I'm planning to start with a version of the one I did successfully in the past which was the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, which basically means eating carbs only once a day. Fallback plan is Primal eating.

BillBlueEyes
12-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies Streak goes to 37, CREDIT moi, which makes me uber happy because the holiday eating season is traditionally where my wandering hand dips into bowls of stuff. A family tradition is nuts in the Christmas stockings, along with the tradition of the kids being excited to find the nuts, then to put them in our nut bowl since they have no intention of cracking them when shelled nuts are readily available. The last step of the tradition is that I shell and eat all the nuts for the family. Good news: They all sit in the bowl untouched by me. Bad news: It annoys DW that I insist on the nuts tradition even though I no longer fulfill my part by disposing of them.

Exercise was gym, CREDIT moi, walk to the library, and walk to the subway around 6am for a Day-After-Christmas excursion to Macy's department store. Good Karma continues. At a Christmas brunch the English muffins only toasted on the bottom; we had to flip them for a full toasting. The toaster oven had died after some 20+ years of faithful service. But the Macy's ad had their $45 Black and Decker one on sale for $19 for early morning shoppers. We were so happy because it's smaller and more convenient than the do-everything table top ovens that are more commonly sold. Before DW came down for breakfast I had returned with our new toaster oven. Yay for being happy with the little victories of life.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Neat to take clues from your nephew. I might just adopt your "no to desserts purchased from big box stores" - fake goodness, them.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Sending supportive thoughts for the loss of your BIL and for the pain of not being able to be there. But Super Kudos for giving yourself credit following your eating plan for "I could have done far worse."

Cheryl (seadwaters) LOL at your sister's "because you like them so much." Reminds me that for the first three years of visiting DW's mom she served razor thin pork chops burned to a crisp because DW "always loved them." Which DW denies adamantly.

Pam (pamatga) Absolutely Thrilling, "I felt so empowered." Kudos, Kudos, Kudos.

Beth (bethFromDayton) It's inspiring to picture you actually counting your grapes. Kudos.

ForMyGirls - Yep, Special Kudos for attentive cooking for yourself alone instead of 'slum it' since no one else cares. I do remember the times we discarded a tiny detritus that one of my kids discovered missing months later and went inconsolable. And Kudos for working on a schedule.

systemsaddict - Kudos for selecting to marry into a family with in-laws "who eat very sensibly." Kudos for setting a schedule for planning. I wish you well for "4 days toy sorting" - cut yourself some slack that that might raise up the I deserve to eat Sabotaging Thoughts.

Solve Common Exercise Problems
Many health or lifestyle issues can make starting an exercise program more difficult, but they shouldn't rule out exercise. However, you might need to be creative. If you can't figure out a way to fit in exercise, consult your diet coach or consider what you'd tell a friend who came to you with the same problem.

gardenerjoy
12-27-2013, 10:19 AM
My 100% OP streak count is 8.

Today's challenge is a carry-in lunch and nice supper out with the nephew in wine sales. I'm skipping both snacks to make up for the specialness of the meals.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +45 1185/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses:

Lexxiss: so sorry for the loss of your BiL and the distances and other life challenges that mean you can't be with your brother right now. I'm glad your family dynamics work in a way that you can observe the loss together at a later time.

LoseToAll
12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Been lurking for a while. Everyone is doing so good on staying on plan. I have not since Monday I have been off. With the kids home I have a terrible time staying on plan. Cooking for others is really hard. And staying away from all my hard work is really hard. But credit I have tracked my calories even with the huge overages.

The difference this year is that I have a Beck mindset that it is not the end of the world and getting back on track is what is important. So today is back on plan. I am scared of being hungry. I hate being hungry and I forgot how nice it is to not be hungry. But I will live with it.

You guys are an inspiration to me. Reading everyday is what keeps me grounded. Even the terrible family stories help me feel that I am not alone since I have similar problems. Poor health in parents. Their home situation and planning the sale of their home and finding a place that will fit their situation. My inlaws finances are so bad they can not get a new loan to move into a new house. Their house is sold for a new highway coming through and they are just waiting until that have to move. Everything is up in the air for them. And my parents are stuck in an old big house they can not take care of and are too scared to look for a new house to downsize to that they can physically get around in i.e. no stairs, wheelchair equipped, and so on.

I just have put it out of my mind so I can enjoy time with my kids and DH. Husband is back to work today. Sad holiday is over so fast but will be good to get back on track.

Have a good OP day.

bethFromDayton
12-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Hi all,

Food was OP today (just as planned). At dinner tonight, the birthday honoree ordered apple pie with a ton of whipped cream. I was sitting across from her and used glasses, beer bottles, and table clutter to block her pie so I couldn't see it. It's much easier for me to be firm with myself when things aren't in sight!

These are good friends so they laughed with me--and moved more things to make the blockage more artistically interesting while still blocking my view! And my friend totally enjoyed her pie!

I've still got to write down a plan for tomorrow, but I think I have it figured out, so I just need to enter it into MFP. We're going car shopping tomorrow, but since the first 3 dealerships are very close to our house, we'll be coming home for an OP lunch rather than trying to eat it while out and about.

Recording everything streak is now at 17.

LoseToAll: Credit for tracking and checking in with us--I hope that helps you get back on track.

[b]

ForMyGirls
12-28-2013, 06:20 AM
110 points for the team - with my personal streak at 23.

Another day of gardening and spring cleaning and a nice afternoon cuppa with my folks. My fella came home early - had his fill of camp stove baked beans and swimming in the rivers. Lovely photos from his travels - I might just be tempted to convince him to go back with me in two next week once I have finished pottering :-)

I have been having a fun time exploring the money saving forum Maryann suggested and have started a thread about my adaptation of Beck for money problems. I have called it "learning to think like a frugal person". Thank you again Maryann for the recommendation. I think it is just what I need to help me stay on track on that front.

So - a credit or two - left food in my plate twice today. That is really unusual for me. With the spring cleaning and gardening I am doing a lot more exercise than normal so that means I have a lot more calories in my food plan for the day - but at breakfast and dinner I was full before I are everything so I stopped. Well done me :-)

It has also been a bit of a day for noticing changes in thinking. This morning when I was dealing with the "but I don't want to" response to doing my morning health activities I realised I wasn't thinking "but you better do it because otherwise you will break the streak". Instead I was thinking "you may as well do it now because if you don't do it now you'll be doing it later, and you know how you hate doing it later". Suddenly not doing it wasn't one of the available options - not even in the argumentative part of my brain. Maybe this is what it feels like when a habit is forming :-)

Also did some reflecting back today on my earliest posts to 3FC - before I found you all - and noticed how utterly different my thinking was to how it is about the money stuff. Back then my first posts were a "I don't know if I can change this but I have to try". But here I am facing my next big challenge and my earliest posts in that world are "OK - I know I can fix this so let's get on with it". Very cool. Thank you Judith Beck - and thank you all of you.

BillBlueEyes
12-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies Tested the new toaster oven on my sandwich thins for my peanut butter sandwich lunch. It works. Yay for successes in small places. Food was OP, CREDIT moi, and snacks within plan as I skipped morning snack, substituted a FREE sample of clam chowder at the supermarket for afternoon snack, and split an orange with DW for evening snack. The chowder wasn't necessary, but it was handed out at a supermarket that has never had a FREE sample of anything, ever. I applied a different interpretation to rare and unusual, LOL. And I accepted that my streak is about staying within my snacks plan - not always exceeding it by having no snacks. So, streak is 38.

Exercise was a folk dance class last night - that got cancelled. Ouch. I did finish a worthless who-done-it that I picked up at the library and couldn't put down. I have got to become more disciplined in what books I start since I have no will-power in the quitting before the last page department.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Yay for special meals approached with confidence.

Beth (bethFromDayton) Love the visual of your "blockage" of the pie with whipped cream. You've got good friends to help you through that time instead of making fun of you or demanding, "Just this once."

ForMyGirls - Gotta love the attitude, "I know I can fix this so let's get on with it" - what a good start on your new journey. Exercising by cleaning and gardening is just the best.

LoseToAll - This is what wiggles my sane thinking, "I am scared of being hungry." My brain is capable of acting as if I grew up during the Great Depression without food even though I've never worried about missing a meal in my life. The hunger exercise helped me face that. Kudos for tracking your food even when you're not in best form. Sending supportive thoughts for the housing situations with the elders in your life.

Though dieters have told me about many problems they initially thought were unsolvable, we were able to figure out solutions. Here are a few:

Problem: I have two small children who need constant supervision.
Solution: Exercise at a fitness center that offers child care. Swap babysitting with another parent. Exercise with your children to a family fitness video, ride bikes, or walk. Exercise to a fitness DVD while your children play nearby.

gardenerjoy
12-28-2013, 10:13 AM
My 100% OP streak count is 9.

I really did skip my snacks and that was an excellent idea because there was no way to plan for supper. Magic happens when you go to a restaurant with someone who knows the owner, manager, chef, and half the wait staff. Food just starts arriving, whether you ordered it or not! Just to see what you think. And we thought it was all amazing. The best meal we've eaten in St. Louis.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 1215/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: I know exactly what you're talking about. It's just astounding the changes in my brain around food -- and how they have transferred to every other challenge in my life.

bethFromDayton: your story of the collaborative art project at your dinner table made me laugh!

nationalparker
12-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Good day! I want to go back and read all of the posts, but need to check in with a quick note before a longer personals note later. We got home a few hours late last night with maintenance issues on the plane. Poor DH is at work already, starting early this morning.

Decided to not weigh in right after getting back, then thought, what the heck, it's just "data" right? So was very pleased to be at 171.2 as I typically drop a bit a few days after returning home/flying.

My sister took off for her sons/grand kids the day after Christmas. Amazing how everything improved from that point on. All of the drama seemed to leave with her down the driveway. My parents were more relaxed; we just all interact much differently without her in the picture. I couch things to my folks in a more positive/worry way (ME: that wound looks much better now, doesn't it - but what I'm concerned about now is this one... let's really monitor this, okay, Dad?. ... SIS: OH MY GOD that looks HORRIBLE - IS THAT GANGRENE? [no, a scab] ... etc. So of course when she mentions anything it gets everyone riled up.)

Credits for me were skipping crappy airport food, limiting my indulgences to about 200 calories a day while at home.

My mom hasn't been eating much at all. I offered to make them a homemade pot roast with carrots and onions and mashed potatoes and they actually (surprisinly) took me up on it, so I did that and Dad loved it. Mom took a few tiny amounts of stuff, then asked for more. Success! I was so happy she had interest in eating. I wish I'd have had the time to make more. I think the smell of it cooking for a few hours helped increase her appetite. I don't eat beef or pork, so just had some veggies and turkey. Worked out great. DH loves pot roast, so a definite treat for him, as well. I have a 40's style homemaker inside me that longs to emerge now and then :)

Enough rambling here. Apologies for the long-winded note.

maryann
12-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Good Morning, Coaches.

I have come up for air. I am surveying the food damage of four days of holidaying. At some point in my life, I would like to consider or reconsider my extended family's need for multiple holiday events. Will I find that I am the one perpetuating it? Now that I am in my "jubilee year" I should start taking responsibility for my "co dependent" patterns.

The black and white data of the food massacre: three and a half pounds above ticker and 0 exercise days. The silver lining credits were two deliberate trips to the market to get salad when the buffets provided none and great communication with DH to help support me through the blues.

Oh Well. I move on.

Today is the day I must pack to go on the five day New Year's beach journey. This is easier than the last four days because
A. It is not with my crazy family.
B. The boys and I have our own condo with kitchen.
C. My college buddies are all fairly health minded and don't care who eats what.

So I have decided. I am packing my vita mixer for two smoothies a day. I am bringing bikes for exercise and tennis shoes for lovely walks along the shore.

bethFromDayton: I absolutely agree with the Beck principle of "Outa Sight, Outa Mind" I just put the stocking candy in the snack cupboard which I don't have to open.

ForMyGirls: Glad the forums helped. I have decided on aiming for a 33% reduction in my discretionary spending (clothes, gifts, dining out, vacation, entertainment). It seems drastic but I spent a great deal of money this year completely changing my wardrobe (sizing down) and we travelled often when I was in school. Now I want to build back my three month prudent reserve and then save for a trip to Hawaii for my family next December. It sounds Like I am off topic writing all this on this forum but the food addiction is directly linked to spending. Now that I have reached maintaining in food, I am empowered to do the same with spending.

BBE: While kids were bowling downstairs at local university, I was upstairs raiding the bargain books. I found an interesting essay assessing Anne Frank as a novelist - not a historical figure. Excellent book for would be writers like me by a terrific instructor -Francine Prose. Also a new copy of Northanger Abbey and a modern sequel to Pride and Prejudice - Longbourne. What is it with gals like me getting stuck in the 19 century?

nationalparker: I sympathize with family members who stir up the drama. Today was the day for the dramatist foreshadowed by the emails I deleted. I made another new healthy choice and let DH attend with DS. I stayed home to pack and putter. What a difference! DH doesn't buy into any of it and sets beautiful boundaries. Yeah for choosing not to participate.

bethFromDayton
12-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi all,

Today is 18 days of tracking everything. My streak continues.

Food was OP, although I made multiple adjustments to my plan--but they were all within plan parameters, so I consider that a win.

My weight is back down under 180, as of this morning. I want it to do that twice in a row before I update my ticker, but I was so thrilled when I saw the 178.6 that I got on the scale twice more just to see it again! I didn't expect it to be different--just wanted to enjoy the feeling!

Hope all is well with everyone!

ForMyGirls
12-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Hello coaches,

A streak of 24 for me and a team total of 114!

My credits for the day - listened to myself properly and recognised that what I needed to do today was relax - historically I can get so caught up in tasks when I am on holiday that I forget to do the relaxing part. second credit is for still doing my scheduled exercise etc while I was relaxing and adjusting my food plan for the day straight after breakfast to take into account that I wouldn't be getting extra exercise from gardening and spring cleaning.

National parker - great to hear you are doing OK after all your holiday family challenges

Maryann - well done you for being so accepting of the fall out from your challenging holiday period

Beth - great to hear that the scales are reflecting all the hard work you have been doing to get back on track!

GosfordGirl
12-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Quick check in - I was on plan for food yesterday and today. I forgot to log in yesterday but I did log all food for both days and have stayed on plan

Today I was wondering how I would meet my steps goal as I was staying in and I also wanted to cook something that I lacked all the ingredients for. So I decided to walk to the shops - I wouldn't ordinarily do that so it is a welcome shift in thinking and behaviour. My weight is going down slowly towards the pre-Christmas liberties mark thankfully.

BillBE - you are still showing us the way with reduced snacking - it is a great example you give. I LOL at the nuts tradition and your DW's annoyance over left over nuts;
Lexxis - I am sorry for the loss of your BiL at this time of year - always difficult but holiday season makes it more poignant
Beth - I liked the image of a barrier so you couldn't see the apple pie and all your friends getting involved in helping. Out of sight is definitely out of mind. At the motel I was staying over Christmas I packed up all the chips and biscuits and so on and stuck them in a cupboard behind the bin. Worked like magic. Hope you found a car
ForMyGirls - kudos for knowing when you are full and stopping at that point.
GardenerJoy - dinner sounded amazing - and still on plan!
Nationalparker - it is so difficult to watch a parent fade so my sympathies. Great idea with the pot-roast so good thinking. I am glad you got to spend some quiet time with them after your sister left
Maryann - LOL at food massacre - it certainly feels a bit like that. Credit for planning a way back to on-plan while you are away
Beth again! - Congrats on the weight loss - I hope it is still there tomorrow!

night coaches

BillBlueEyes
12-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies – Splendid day birding at Plum Island just north of Boston. Lots of walking on the beach, CREDIT moi, as well as a zillion calories spent just for being out in the cold wind coming off the Atlantic. Special treat to see two Razorbills (https://www.google.com/search?q=razorbills&rlz=1C1RNBN_enUS459US459&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8AzAUphuxMCgBJbcgcgK&ved=0CJMBEIke) as well as as dozens of both Common Loons and Red-throated Loons. Snowy Owls are abundant due to an unusual irruption from Canada. We saw two but in recent days as many as 18 have been spotted.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks to increment my streak to 39. It was notable that I didn't pack a granola bar (nee candy bar) for a morning snack as I've always done with the notion that I'd be hungry. When I'm out, I don't think about being 'hungry' and certainly I'm not stomach hungry since I'd had breakfast. Also notable that a box of German gift goodies opened in the car on the drive home in the late afternoon and I passed when twice offered a dark chocolate covered shortbread - a favorite. I just had the thought that I'd want to have a handful which wouldn't fit into my snack plan - and I'm determined to use this streak business to get my Resistance Muscle back in shape.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Drooling over your "Magic" meal where food just starts appearing.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Kudos for tweaking your routine by walking to the shops.

maryann - Jealous of your digging in the university bargain books. I don't get the notion of Ann Frank as novelist - my head is stuck that she simply wrote her diary. Kudos for "Oh Well. I move on." Have a super New Year's beach journey in case you wonder off the ether.

nationalparker – Wonderful story making the pot roast that broke the eating resistance. Kudos for cooking beef that you don't eat. LOL at "40's style homemaker inside me."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for adjustments within plan and a scale producing happy numbers.

ForMyGirls - Relaxing is good for the soul.

Though dieters have told me about many problems they initially thought were unsolvable, we were able to figure out solutions. Here are a few: . . .

Problem: I have physical limitations.
Solution: Many people can swim or take a water fitness class. Others need to start with physical therapy. Consult your health care provider for a referral to an appropriate program.

nationalparker
12-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Struggled to stay on track while home alone all day yesterday, but I'm counting it as a success. I don't know where I'm standing on streak, so off to count it - I just seem to hit the sack, thinking, whew - worked hard at it today, even just saying no or passing a tray of cookies was hard. I suspect I have to go back in this thread to find my streak count.

DH will be off tomorrow, on our anniversary, and my idea for him isn't going to work, as he's now going to buy it with his bonus from work, which is fine by me, because I don't know specs of what he wants (drill press). So now back to the drawing board to come up with something else that will be a good gift. I just held that in my mind for weeks and thought that was the plan. Now I'm scrambling. He gave me my gift early a few weeks ago - a new wedding band. If anyone has good ideas, pop 'em in your post! :)

I'm feeling a bit of a fraud here because I'm not reading my response cards the past few days, I feel like I'm not fully using the Beck principles in my daily life to work this weight loss. But then I think the No Choice is there often, along with the Oh Well. But I certainly don't use all of the skills we're supposed to, so I'm going to pull the book out and work on at least adding in one more per week.

Scale dropped another half pound and I'm just itching to get to the 169s. If we go out for dinner tomorrow for the anniversary, I know that'll kick that out of the realm of possibility from the sodium alone, probably.

Thank you to everyone for your caring thoughts on my mom/family drama. Which in writing looks so silly together because my mom is the least dramatic person I know. A quiet New Englander. I left there being able to say, see you in four weeks, though I think it actually is five.

Bill - Credits continue for your impressive streak and passing on the chocolate covered shortbread. I would have figured SOME way to work that in. And therein lies the issue, I guess, huh? :)

Seadwaters - Wonderful thinking to walk to the shops for what you needed. You're working on a new lifestyle!

ForMyGirls - Enjoy this time of peace while alone in your home. Glad you took time to relax. I love time alone and seem to rarely get it, but revel in it when it comes. Great change of thinking from I don't want to break the streak to it's now or later, not now or never. Kudos!!

Beth - Great job on getting right back on track, logging in and counting everything. Also kudos for passing on desserts you don't need. When do you adjust your ticker? I love seeing it go down and you're way down from where it's showing! I think I get as excited to see others' tickers drop as my own. ha ha.

Maryann - I love that you deleted those emails w/o reading - that is a major accomplishment and one that I just am not at yet. If asked if you read them/received them, what would your reply have been? Just info because I like that option.

Lexxiss - Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your BIL. What a tough time of the year to happen. Nice that the memorial will be when all can attend. Thoughtful and appreciated, I'm sure.

PamatGa - Major credits abound for sticking with your plan for the holiday and not getting sidetracked with additional food. Great job!! That IS empowering. May that continue to fuel you!

GardenerJoy - You seem to keep plugging away no matter what. I'm impressed! And motivated! :) I like that you noted what your nephew enjoyed and skipped the things he did as well. Good cues.

LoseToAll - My heart goes out to you with the double issue of both sets of parents and the surrounding stresses. I, too, face "scared of being hungry" issues - mine are typically only around traveling (stuck on the tarmac for hours? No sweat, I have dry cereal and nuts in here) and camping/hiking when on a vacation. When do you notice that "scared of being hungry" feeling most? My friend has it when running errands, and so brings snacks in the car, but then feels compelled to eat them every time to stave off potential hunger.

I know I can't do personals to all, so waving hello to MikeB, systemsaddict, wondering if BeverlyJoy is still checking in and if so, happy holidays to you, as well.

onebyone
12-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Coaches

Just call me Yo-yo. OMG. Up down up down. This last month ahs been a very heavy one emotionally. Most of it was spent in heavy emotional entanglements with my sister as we spent 15 days together at her place hashing out an art book project. That tested us. Foodwise it was good. Exercise wise even better. Being in key West brings out the walker in me. I frequently took 2-3 hours walks effortlessly. And she now had a large pool (100 small strokes to swim the perimeter! 10 good strokes to cross it in one direction.) I swam everyday though they thought i was crazy as the water was 73-78F. The air about the same. I thought it was fine and it was and it was actually better than fine. They don't even like pools and have been in it maybe once since they moved in there in August. So between the swimming, the walking, the fresh fish and my sister watching my food like a hawk (that was depressing and tough for me) I lost 7lbs in that time. Then I came home: to an ice storm, to no power, to taking in MIL and mom at the same time, into an apartment that isn't clean enough, roomy enough or clutter free enough for the likes of them. We lost power one night then ours came back and theirs stayed off. The home where my mom lives was beinbg evacuated and we were asked to take our family if we could, so we did, and MIL was plain stubborn and in our 23 years of living together she has stayed overnight with us one night about 22 years ago. Thankfully we deposited them both back at their houses the next day and after several confrontations about the state of our home "I know I didn't raise my son to live this way" and my mom who with her alzheimer's repeats things "*gasp* look at your boxes! You have so much stuff! get rid of it" (over and over and over-complete with the *gasp* everytime) well xmas was the next day so we skipped it and re-scheduled until today. I am about to wrap gifts and head off to get my mom and bring her to MIL and eat a dinner I don't want.
I am buoyed by the though that this is the last required holiday thing for me. I cannot wait to see the back of 2013. I just feel beaten up these days.
Needless to say, I treated myself with food. But tomorrow my fitbit flex arrives with the scale that syncs with it. I return to my gym, which I was getting into right before I left for Florida. It waits for me. And my normal everyday wonderful life waits for me. I fear I've done a lot of weight damage this time though. I'd say I was tired of doing this, but I am even tired of saying that as it comes up so often.

I'm just going to put this behind me and begin again.

Thanks Coaches for reading.

gardenerjoy
12-29-2013, 10:08 AM
My 100% OP streak count is 10.

I forgot to report that MiL's diet wasn't as bad as advertised. I've sent her menus and recipes, which is what she said she wanted, but she still reports being overwhelmed. Which may mean that the resistance is more than a lack of structural support. I told her about the Beck books before, but maybe I'll try reminding her about them again. I suspect what she needs right now is a good Advantages List, because I'm not sure she's seeing that part of the picture right now.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +50 1265/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: I just started a Francine Prose book -- Reading Like a Writer. A friend gave it to me because she thought it was perfect for me -- looks like she was right!

maryann
12-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for back OP. I feel my body trying to free itself from the the addiction of sugar, fat and salt that I let myself have over the four days. I have to withdraw all over again.But I have made a good start. Yoga in ten minutes and then off to the ocean (Pacific).

ForMyGirls: FYI, I bookmarked another interesting blog Frugal Queen. it looks good.

nationalparker: The truth is, my family is so large (five brothers and sisters plus marrieds) I am often lost in the shuffle and people don't think too much about me. (More so now that I am not drama central.) But if someone asks me about the particulars in a email or says, "I needed a response" I say, "Sorry, I don't check emails regularly or thoroughly. If you really need to talk to me, call me." I have found that drama is much less in phone calls. People don't always hold themselves accountable in email speak. Also, on the phone i can hear the inflection in voices avoiding misinterpretation.

BBE: Do you think I will see birds on the Pacific Coast other than seagulls?

gardenerjoy: Reading Like a Writer is my all time favorite writing book. I was introduced to it at Goddard.

onebyone: good to hear from you.

pamatga
12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Hello all! :coffee2: I am back. I did not expect to be gone two plus days but life suddenly got very busy.

:welcome2: onebyone: I am sorry that you have so many "interferences" in your life during the holidays. That seems to be a common theme. I always hate to admit this especially to those people who haven't a clue what I am talking about but I am so glad that my biological family is 986 miles away. I cringe just listening to the drama as my younger sister recounts it "blow by blow". She does not see her part in it and that is even more tragic.

maryann: As I have said before I have a tri-core addiction and dysfunctional relationships have been a part of my "past" personal history. Melody Beatty has written wonderful books on codependency that I wholeheartedly recommend. In fact, I think she may have coined the phrase originally. I ended up in therapy, both group and individual, 21 years ago, for this area of my life. It means periodic "housecleaning" in terms of what relationships I will allow and to what degree but I am a much more peaceful and happy person as a result. IMHO, I prefer to "observe" the drama from a distance. I have also discovered that some relationships must go completely and those that may remain may be able to be salvaged. It is a tenuous process but it can be done if the commitment is there on both sides. One healthy person and one unhealthy person do not make a good bond. Period. Never will.

Having said that it doesn't mean that my heart doesn't break quietly and silently when I want a relationship (like with my adult daughter) to be "more than it is" but I am patient. We exchanged one sentence each over Christmas. It is a start. I realize how fragile this is and I am willing to take her cues. Also, a very long standing bitterness (try 40 + years) between my Dad and I have completely melted and we show a lot of genuine love and concern for each other. It is a beautiful thing when Love conquers. It really is.:hug:

:bravo::cp:beth and nationalparker for your respective weight loss. I love your pie story beth. It is my motto as well: "out of sight and out of mind". The flip side of that is " if it is in the cupboards or refrigerator, it will be eaten." :lol: Does this resonate with anyone else? It is sort of the food version of "build it and they will come": "have it in the house and it will be eaten." Yes, it will, no matter what I say 10x while circling like a vulture coming in for the kill. :D

losetoall: I don't know how your state handles these but I suggested to my Mom while she was alive that they consider a reverse mortgage and since it was one of the rare times she actually listened to me my parents did this so they could buy a new furnace as well as other much needed improvements to their house. She was contemplating making "elderly-friendly" adaptations right before she died. My sister has since found out that she can buy back the house and put it in her name from the company who now did the reverse mortgage which is something that I didn't know was possible. Also, the estate attorney told my Dad that it was the smartest thing they did (no credit given to me of course for the idea--"Oh,well"--I am good daughter even though I have never been given credit for it. "Oh, well" again) since when Dad was faced with an additional $60K in medical bills that Medicare didn't pay (they paid $600K) the Mayo Clinic couldn't "go after" my parents home because of it being in a reverse mortgage contract. I can't take credit for knowing that beforehand, because I didn't, but it was nice to know that Dad always has a home (paid for) until he dies.

BBE I had to smile when you mentioned post holiday shopping for your "deal of the day" because that is precisely why I was M.I.A. the past couple of days. We are in a weather loop here in north GA where it is pouring down rain every weekend for the past month so we decided to "carpe diem" and get out among the crowds before we were doing it in the rain. Last night, while we were doing our last little bit, I had to doubly smile: there were two young men who were securing a new mattress set (it was covered in clear plastic) on top of their car in the pouring down rain. "Bless their respective hearts". I am just jealous. I wish I would have had the money to do the same. We bought a new bed last summer for our guest room and we need a new mattress. They got the last one. Poop!:(

ForMyGirls: I have said this before but it bears repeating: my food plan does well when my money plan does well and vice versa.

Well, although I won't know if I actually lost any weight this past week, I will say that I haven't gained any as of this morning's weigh in (I weigh in every morning) so even if I don't realize the lose that I want; for me, this is a historical FIRST! I have ALWAYS gained between 8-10 lbs between the time of Thanksgiving and New Year's Day so I will definitely call this as a BIG WIN for me. Excuse my drama here but, gosh golly, this is so HUGE for me.

I have big plans for 2014 and what shook me into "hey, it is coming" is the leader of another group (one I have been connected with for three on again off again years) reminded everyone first weekly weigh in is tomorrow morning. :fr: So, lots of H20...:lol: "sodium be gone" is my chant for the rest of today...."sodium be gone, sodium be gone".

Beck works if you work it. End of story!:)

To all the readers and lurkers, have a Happy 2014 :newyear: if we don't see you post any time soon.

Take care, Pam :comp:

bethFromDayton
12-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi all,

Today was an unplanned day with OP eating choices. I even ended up leaving fruit and salad at dinner time when I got full. I had an evening snack of popcorn--I hardly ever have an extra evening snack but I've been craving popcorn lately and it fit into the program today.

The car shopping on Saturday was unsuccessful. I thought I'd come away infatuated with one or more cars, but we didn't try any that I'm even enthusiastic about a second date to get to know better.

This is the beginning of a holiday week for me. DD is here now and at some point, DS will join us as well. My BFF is arriving Wednesday, at least one other friend is arriving Thursday, and about 20 friends are arriving on Friday.

I've already purchased candy for baking (kisses and M&Ms) and eating (the same).

My food plan for the time period is to record everything I eat--everything. Also, even during party time, to put everything I eat on a plate and sit down with that plate. Both of those are things I abandon during these weekend long party extravaganzas, so those are the things that I am going to focus on.

I want to keep up my streak--and that really is a motivating factor. Today is Day 19 of recording everything I've eaten.

Also, I'm still below 180, so I updated my ticker accordingly--I never want to see the 180s again!

ForMyGirls: Credit for relaxing--and a streak of 24!!!

seadwaters: Credit for walking to the store--that's a great way to get exercise. Bill is inspiring, isn't he?

BillBB: What a wonderful birding day--and great exercise.

natonalparker: Credit for standing firm on a challenging day. As for DH gifts, I actually gave mine a table saw last year--I knew he'd want to pick it out himself, so I made a tiny one out of cardboard and aluminum foil. He still hasn't picked one out :-), but that's not on me. I'll go to Home Depot anytime! Does he need/want a cordless dremel tool? I got one for DH for his birthday and he likes it. (As an addition to, not a substitution for, a corded full power dremel tool) (tools? yes, we like tools) THanks for encouraging me to update my ticker!! It feels good to know you notice!

onebyone Credit for checking in with us, letting us know how you're doing, and for beginning again. :hug: for all of it.

gardenerjoy: I love watching your excercise numbers climb! I hope your MIL can find calmness in figuring out her diet.

maryann: Sugar is addicting, isn't it--the withdrawal is hard. Credit for yoga--and some jealousy that you get to head to the ocean!

pamatga: I agree--I prefer not to keep stuff in the house that I like and doesn't fit into my plan. Holidays are bad for that, though--and I have one more holiday week to get through.

I still need to enter tomorrow's meals into MFP. I've already packed lunch for both Monday and Tuesday (the only days I'm working this week) and put a reminder note on top of my purse.

I haven't planned the week's meals--but DD and I will do that tomorrow when I get home from work and then grocery shop together.

Take care, all.

systemsaddict
12-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone! Well I have now read the Beck book (pink one) all the way through quickly, then gone back to the start and worked through 'studying' it. I am using Evernote as my diary / response cards system because I do everything organisational electronically anyway, so I have one note for each 'day' of the book then additional notes as response cards / tables to fill in / etc.

I'm on day 14 now which is plan your food day, so I'm giving myself today and maybe tomorrow to do some detailed menu planning. I want to get a rotating menu/groceries plan set up rather than having to start from scratch every day or week.

I didn't actually plan to start the actual 'eating' part of it on New Year's Day but now I'm getting close to that anyway it seems to make sense to get the societal support! So I think today and tomorrow are planning and prep time and then New Year's Day the new eating well plan begins.

GosfordGirl
12-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Quick check in coaches. I have had an on plan day and this is my second day in a row checking in. Exercise today was parking a long way from where I was going to shop and walking the difference - credit for doing something I dislike to make sure my steps were up. I am a bit preoccupied with other things tonight but wanted to make sure I checked in. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow for personals

Credit for cooking food from scratch, walking, staying on plan. I also bought a kindle version of Beck so that I can refer to it - I have the hard copy stored in a box somewhere

Waving to all

BillBlueEyes
12-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies – Streak to 40 for snacks on plan, CREDIT moi. The only snack I had of the three planned was splitting a Louisiana Navel Orange with DW after dinner. I later thought about how good it was and considered getting a whole one in addition. Then decided that that was just a Sabotaging Thought - I didn't need more food. The brain gets the benefits of the taste from half an orange. Despite reading a book about 17th century sailors, I'm not in sufficient danger of getting scurvy that more orange is warranted. At noon I faced a table of snacks, but they were all manufactured and easy to ignore; I had coffee.

Exercise was walking with DW, CREDIT moi. Despite the ice and mild rain it was a fun walk. Also did a session with a dance group. We face a family event in the fall where there will be dancing and feel the need to get our act together.

onebyone – Congrats on that loss in Florida with Kudos for that much walking. LOL at the Canadian sister finding the water warm enough and the Florida sister thinking it too cold. Super Kudos for keeping your sanity when dealing with your mother's real issues and your MIL's head issues. Statements such as "I know I didn't raise my son to live this way" are beyond out of line; any response that doesn't get you hauled off to jail is a positive one. Can't wait to hear how the new fitbit flex works out.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the thought of introducing "a good Advantages List" as a start to the strategies of keeping to a food plan.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Glad to hear that there's a Kindle Beck. I gave my DD some Kindle books for Christmas and felt odd that I merely told Amazon what day to deliver them to her. She got them Christmas morning as promised. - i.e. no UPS delays, LOL.

Pam (pamatga) – Thanks for the reminder, "Beck works if you work it."

maryann - Ouch for the pain of sugar withdrawal. But Kudos for recognizing the need for it instead of believing it to be a supernatural call to head to See's Candy store. [Why, you have the Horned Puffin in the Pacific that I've never seen. I do love our Atlantic Puffin, but I have to go to an island off the coast of Maine to see it. And you have whales visible from the shore.]

nationalparker – Happy Anniversary - may you have many, many more. Always Kudos for passing that tray of cookies.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for facing all that baking with your plans in place. Sorry that no car grabbed you - I'm saving my pennies for a Tesla.

systemsaddict - Neat idea to set up a rotating menu plan so you don't face a blank page each week.

Though dieters have told me about many problems they initially thought were unsolvable, we were able to figure out solutions. Here are a few: . . .

Problem: I don't have enough time.
Solution: Schedule exercise into your appointment calendar. consider which daily activities you can decrease or eliminate to make time for exercise. Consider getting up earlier and starting our day with exercise. Make exercise an essential activity, not an optional one.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 110.

Lexxiss
12-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Hi Coaches!

I always read posts and try to drop in when the stars align and I have a moment in time that matches up to a solid internet connection.

Life continues on at a fast pace....I really persist in keeping my food values on the front page because I know what happens if I don't. I've been weighing every day and am pleased with the results, even with a little holiday bounce around. I really noticed (again) last week just how much junk I need to negotiate around when I'm at the restaurant and still manage to make sane choices by using my resistance skills. I've not gotten much planned exercise in yet noticed how much extra physical energy I exert at the project. credit moi!

Tomorrow we're going to head over the hill after work for one day of soaking at the pool. I just remembered I'll have to p/u my suit at the club tomorrow as the Athletic club closes for NY day yet the pool is open. We'll return Thursday am to put in the vinyl flooring in the kitchen area which means the plumber can return$$. Life is good.

Kudos for all our successes during this holiday season and a welcome back to onebyone!

Take care all and Happy New Year (a bit early!)

nationalparker
12-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Brief check in after weighing in this morning to my goal of 169.x before the New Year ... and was at 169.8. Initially, I thought, oh, phooey, it's a .8. Then I thought, this is what railroaded me off track before in October, that the 169.8 wasn't good enough and then I bounced back up. I'm happy with this, and hoping to enter the New Year in a different "decade" of weigh than last year, and 10 pounds lighter. For the first time in my life, I lost 5 pounds from mid-November through Christmas.

Seeing Bill's 40-day streak has me wanting to back up in these posts to see what my number actually should be and post that. It might be nearing double digits :)

We've discussed a variety of dinner options for our anniversary, from pizza and salad by the fire, to a new-to-us Thai place (which is SO out of my zone here, but I now love two meals at the one in Florida), to a nice joint down the road, to a steakhouse for DH. I will be smart at whichever one we choose.

onebyone
12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Coaches

Today's plan includes:

spontaneous exercise:
I'm working around the house today with a goal of moving/unearthing a small rectangular table and moving it into the kitchen. It may work as a kitchen table, or not. I would like to get the newspaper delivered again and sit at the table and read it while drinking a coffee. Simple pleasures are where it's at.

planned exercise
A return to the gym and trying my first workout class tonight at 8pm.

foodplan
tracking my points and staying wth three meals a day and 2 snacks if needed.

Advantage and Response Cards
I'm making new ones today. And I will read them three times.

My fitbit flex and scale are due to be delivered today. I look forward to seeing what these gadgets add to my fitness goals.

gardenerjoy
12-30-2013, 11:31 AM
My 100% OP streak count is 11.

DH is sick. I was at the grocery store before breakfast this morning to get him cough syrup and to get groceries in case I come down with it next. But I'm determined not to. More often than not, that works for me!

I weighed myself for the first time since Christmas Day and was happy with the result.

WI: -0.6 kg, Exercise: +50 13155/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

LoseToAll and pamatga: The monthly exercise thread for January is up and running: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/291000-january-exercise-challenge.html

systemsaddict: I get an extra burst of energy from starting new things on New Year's Day, too!

onebyone: so great to see you here. Have fun at your exercise class!

CeeJay
12-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Good morning.

Not even going to talk about the eating for the past weeks. Great Big Oh Well.

Credit today for:
Getting on the scale.
Doing arm/shoulder exercises.
Riding exercise bike.
Packing lunch for work.
Healthy dinner is in the slow cooker.
Checking in with my coaches.
Reading advantage and response cards.

Now all I need to do today is eat what is planned and only what is planned and write in my new food journal tonight.

Hope everyone is well and has a wonderful day!

:grouphug:

veganasaurusrex
12-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Hello all! I hope everyone's holidays were full of joy. Mine were full of joy and also full of food, and sadly lacking in control. I struggle so much with the feeling that once I've had one mistake, I've failed. If I haven't posted on the forum that day I've failed so why post the next day. If I over eat one day then I've failed and why should I try again. Does anyone else struggle with that feeling of failure? How do the rest of you cope with it?

Otherwise I'm on day 4, Ironically giving myself credit. I think that once I get better at giving myself credit hopefully I won't be as crushed by mild setbacks. What methods do you wonderful folks use to "track" the credit you're giving yourself or do you just do it mentally?

Today's plan includes:

Reading my ARC At 9 (read at 10 instead) At 3 (reminder set) and at 6 (reminder set)

Sitting while eating (no eating in the car) Good so far!

Giving Credit Credit for posting here even though I was nervous. Credit for writing in my journal. Credit for eating breakfast sitting down. Credit for drinking water (but not enough yet!)

BillBlueEyes Thank you for being a constant and steady beacon of support and positive role modeling. I am grateful to you and to this community for that! Also thanks for enjoying our lovely produce :)

Lexxiss Happy new year to you too! Thanks for sharing your success with us - it's always lovely to see your positive posts.

onebyone Thanks for sharing your plan in such an organized way. It inspired me to go back and reformat my post as well.

gardenerjoy Congrats on your streak! So glad to see another success reflected.

Ceejay Thanks for your excellent posting format as well. I am inspired! I'm with you on the "Oh Well!"

maryblu
12-30-2013, 03:36 PM
'Lo, all. Hard to believe Christmas is over and another new year close at hand. Happy to see that for the most part, all of my Beckmates are doing well. Credit to all who have long strings of on-plan days.

Just wanted to wish all a great new year.

Maryblu

ForMyGirls
12-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Hello coaches,

My tip for the day is to never trust a septgenarian with an electric bicycle when they invite you on a “little ride”!

Had a late and big lunch yesterday so decided to have dinner after the ‘little ride’ in the evening with my parents. nearly 2 hours and a lot of hills later I staggered home for a quick snack before bed. Fortunate as it turns out though because the late and big lunch proved to be even bigger calories than I had thought when I added it all up this morning. Thanks to the little ride, plus the gardening and house cleaning I did earlier in the day I was still OP for the day calorie wise - phew. Having fallen into bed I realised at 10.45 that I hadn’t taken my multi-vitamins yet - and taking them is one of the requirements for getting a streak point. Conversation in my head: “Never mind - it’s been a good streak - you had to break it sometime” - “Yeah but I’m on 24 - that will take a really really long time to catch up” - “But it’s so nice to be lying down”. Pleased to report I made the enormous effort of walking to the kitchen and swallowing 2 tablets so can report (thanks to having a less strict interpretation of 100% OP than Joy) that I now have a streak of 25. Woohoo. Team total is: 127!!!

Credit to me for adding up the calories in my late and big lunch as it was very tempting to say “I exercised so much I’m sure it will be fine” - which is true this time but it is very valuable to know how large it was calorie-wise so that if I am ever tempted to go there on a day that hasn’t burnt so many calories in exercise I will know to steer clear (or climb a mountain first!)

Seadwaters - yay to you for your walk to the shops - that kind of change in habitual behaviour is HUGE. Well done.

BBE - your leaving behind the “just in case I get hungry” granola bar story was helpful - made me think about how hard it is to break that belief that hunger is an emergency. LOL on scurvy as a sabotaging thought!

Nationalparker - Good on you for thinking through which parts of the program you are managing to follow and which are eluding you at the moment - to my mind that is what it is all about so fraud you are most certainly not! In terms of the number of your streak - I have you on 8 - let me know if you think I have it wrong - there were some days I wasn’t quite sure whether your post meant it was a streak point or not :-) Yay to you for a first ever holiday season weightloss.

onebyone - I laughed out loud of your story of Alzheimer’s resulting in constantly repeated critical commentary - no doubt not as amusing when you’re in it so well done you for surviving it and checking in with us to report your progress. Are you able to identify what the key to your success was while in Key West and then try and replicate it?

Maryann - thanks for the second site - I have gotten myself well and truly imbedded in MoneySavingExpert so will stay there - but will definitely check out the other one too. Really liked your system for managing not reading emails. Such a relaxed way of redirecting.

Pamatga - it was very inspiring to read your words about your relationships with your daughter and father. And woohoo for breaking a life long habit of gaining weight in the holiday period!

Beth - yay to you for such good thinking about your plan for your holiday weekend. We will all be cheering for you.

Systemsaddict - now I see why you are called SystemsAddict. Though truth be told I’m part of the same club :-) Yay to starting the new eating with the New Year

Ceejay - well done for getting back on track. Would you like to join our streak challenge and see if that helps motivate you to stay on track? Maybe pick one of your list of things to commit to doing everyday - I find that when I commit to doing one key thing so much else follows - and there is less chance of being overwhelmed. No obligation to join us but the door is always open!

Veganasaurex - good on you for sharing your struggles with coping with feelings of failure. For me the biggest antidote to that is giving myself credit - the old thing of turning a downward spiral into an upward one. In terms of system for recording it what I do is insist on giving myself at least one credit in my daily post. A lot of the time I give myself credits along the way as well - but having it as an essential step at the end of everyday means that I do it even on the days where I am in a negative, critical headspace (which are the days I need it most). I also have “give myself credit” as a discrete item on my to do list everyday - I use a computer based to do list system called Things - you can set up repeating to do items (on just about every imaginable repeating cycle) - so this one comes up in my to do list every single day. You can also choose to have a “due date” on items - which means they come up in red. Giving myself credit has this so it is a red item - along with the other health activities I need to do that day (which vary from day to day). All of them are red so that they are differentiated from the to do things for the rest of my life, most of which don’t have a critical deadline. So I start the day by doing the red things and then work out what is next on the agenda. It works mostly (except for when, for some inexplicable reason, I decide that taking my multivitamins can wait till later!) (See why I say I am part of the system addict club systems addict!)

pamatga
12-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Hello all, "regulars and irregulars"! For all of the readers and lurkers alike :newyear:

Today was a busy busy day and I have only had time just now to get on my computer and post.

For everyone who is doing great and there are just so many in this group, all I can say is "Major Credit" and drinks (of your choice) all around!:hat:

I will respond to one post however: vegan since what you said struck such a chord with me. I feel that what is at the root of such thinking is a need to be perfect and/or setting such high standards for yourself that are both unattainable and/or unreasonable "at this time" for yourself. I have been there, done that.....

How do I cope with this? I stop having such high expectations of myself and also others that no one would feel comfortable being in my world. On the other hand, I also don't have such low expectations that even an earthworm could accomplish it (without trying)....I try to find a "happy medium". I also apply the acronym K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sweetie!) I applied that this year to the holidays "across the board" and it made for a much saner period. I break all projects (including self-improvement) down into smaller and attainable bits. One meal/snack at a time. One day at a time. Sounds cliche but it certainly helps break the perfectionist hold on me.

As you can see here everyone is working on something very individual and personal to them so we are all tracking different things. I can not participate in the streaking because it brings out the "beast" :devil: in me. I have days. Period. I am so competitive with myself and others that I just have to lay that one to rest in the corner. Now, sit, I said sit. :D

The "methods" that I use to track myself are: a pocket calendar which I write in daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals. I log all of my food every day. I weigh myself every day. Depending on the day I exercise specific exercises.I post here and in several other groups. I journal every day. The list goes on and on. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. Busy is good for me. Hopefully, that will give you an idea.

Today's specific credits: I rejoined a group that I have been a part of for 3 years. I reported my actual scale weight to someone I both respect and equally fear of reprisal. She is so busy getting things started I don't think she noticed although I had forewarned her earlier.

Credit: I bought another person (in same group) a pedometer today online who both is deeply depressed and emotional overwhelmed and doesn't know how to help herself. I have also committed to emailing her to cheer her up and being her prayer warrior. It is all about giving back what I have been given.

Credit: leading a new 8 week weight loss challenge here on 3FC. It is all about service and the 12th Step.

gardenerjoy: I have also bookmarked the exercise challenge thread and I will be joining y'all. I am going to be one very busy and active person this coming year. My other group leader has a ton of things for us to do and I am determined to give it my best shot.

To everyone else: my posts will probably be a lot shorter from now on because as gardenerjoy said once about her exercise group "busy exercising so not much chatting." I want to be busy losing weight this coming year. As someone once said "Actions speak louder than words." Watch my little snow people line up. That will say more than all of my words combined. :)

Thank you all for walking along with me. I appreciate your presence and support.

Love, Pam :comp:

bethFromDayton
12-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi all!

Today was Day 20 of my streak--everything is recorded. I actually served myself less dinner than I had planned on--it just looked like too much food when I had it in the measuring cup! I stopped about 3-5 bites past when I should have at dinner--but credit for stopping before eating it all.

I'm doing the planning for our big weekend party--and that means recipes and last year's food lists and emails from people about what they're bringing--all sorts of reminders of good food--much of which couldn't possibly be considered OP. I managed to get through the planning stuff tonight without any snacking, though!

Tomorrow's day is mentally planned--when I finish here I'll enter it in MFP.

Have a good night all!

GosfordGirl
12-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi Coaches

Tonight will be a quiet one - but possibly sleepless depending what the neighbours get up to of course. Given I always wake up at 5 or a lot earlier I find the whole NYE madness a bit trying - especially if it keeps me up! I didn't get my steps in today - worked all day on a project and not much opportunity to walk. First day in ages I haven't made the count and will have to make more effort tomorrow

Food has been logged and is on plan so far - there is still dinner to go but I have it prepared and organised so should be OK. I am looking forward to starting a new spreadsheet with weights etc. tomorrow - NYE is a bit inspirational and I hope I live up to the intent.

BillBE - thanks for sharing the Razorbills link - they are certainly dapper looking birds. You continue to be a (virtually) snack free inspiration

Nationalparker - have you sorted out where you are on streak yet? ForMyGirls is pretty good at keeping our tallies (THANKS!). Hopeless at presents for males sorry. Hope you make it to the 169s very soon - you deserve it! I have just bought (for the second time) the Beck book because I think I need the structure of the principles and need them in my face

Onebyone - so pleased to see you checking in. Family - what is there to say. Honestly - the best and the worst, credit for living through it successfully. Great planning for NYE

GardenerJoy - glad to here you MiL diet is more approachable than thought. Credit for helping her to come to grips with it. I will have to track down that book - what a name for the author - belongs in the list of totally appropriate authors names. Good luck with positive thinking as a deterent for a cold!

Maryann - Yay for back on plan - ouch for sugar and fat and salt. Enjoy the ocean

Pam(atga) - nice to see you back. Good luck with the first weigh in of the year and may it be a very Happy New Year for you!

Beth(fromDayton) - you sound like quite a party animal at this time of year so good luck with both the planning and the reality. Sounds like serious fun! Keep up the recording streak and credit for 20!

Systemsaddict - planning helps me so much - without a plan I am a mess and eat anything just to get on with it - so credit for planning and good luck with it

Debbie (Lexxiss) - glad you are still out there and getting on top of things. Indeed kudos for your successes and progress

CeeJay - Hope you had a wonderful day - and yes - it will be lovely to get past this time of year. Great example of planning

Vegan...Rex - nice to see you post. LOL for full of food as well as full of joy. I can relate. I totally understand the belief that a small lapse becomes a major relapse - credit for recognising the behaviour so you can put it in its place

Maryblu - Happy new year!

ForMyGirls - YAY for streak count 27 - LOL at being exhausted (unfairly on a motorised bike!) by a septegenarian - Happy new year

Congratulations all and take care tomorrow

systemsaddict
12-31-2013, 04:52 AM
Loving hearing about all your systems :-)

ForMyGirls
12-31-2013, 05:52 AM
Happy New Year coaches!

Pleased to report I am ending 2013 on a streak of 26 and as part of a team of streakers with a combined score of 129!

My credit for the day is to congratulate myself for keeping on track on weightloss while devoting a lot of time and energy to learning how to think like a frugal person. It would be easy to let my healthy eating and exercise fall away in the wake of a new challenge but I am managing to do both.

BillBlueEyes
12-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies Walked to the library, CREDIT moi, to return the book I wished I hadn't read and to get one that I really want to read. This week I've been reading in the living room with the lit Christmas tree; it makes me happy. Moving to a new reading spot forced me to admit that I'm reading five books at once - at different rates. Typing that is the first time I've had the obvious thought that multiple books are possible because each is being played with by different time-scale thinking processes. A Christmas gift, 1001 Ideas That Changed the Way We Think (http://www.amazon.com/1001-Ideas-That-Changed-Think/dp/1476705720/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388489266&sr=1-1&keywords=1001+ideas+that+changed+the+way+we+think) does well with a few ideas read that rattle around my brain for a day. A thriller can be read from cover to cover in one sitting if I had that much time - all I want is to find out the answer.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including Snapping Turtle soup for dinner - a first for us. It was from a can, something that Santa provided out of curiosity; it tasted like canned gravy with very tiny chunks of something or other. We won't have to do that again, LOL. The only snack of my three planned was splitting a Louisiana Navel Orange with DW after dinner - designated my evening snack. I had the same thoughts about having another whole one for myself; used the same responses. Sometimes repetition is good; streak to 41.

maryblu And Happy New Year to you up there in the frozen north. (I do like seeing your summer avatar despite the cold outside.)

onebyone Reading the physical newspaper at our kitchen table is one of the joys of my day - hope your table works. Kudos for recognizing, "Simple pleasures are where it's at."

Joy (gardenerjoy) Sending virtual chicken soup to your DH for that cold. LOL at your typo, "13155/1400 minutes for December," - 'salota exercise.

CeeJay - Everything in one sentence, "Now all I need to do today is eat what is planned and only what is planned and write in my new food journal tonight."

Debbie (Lexxiss) Will think of you having a good hot soak when our expected temperatures drop off the charts.

Cheryl (seadwaters) Yep, "NYE is a bit inspirational" - thanks for the reminder to grab that inspiration and apply it to a chosen goal.

Pam (pamatga) Thanks for "K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sweetie!)" - it's so easy to look for the complicated way. Your snow people will be talking for you.

nationalparker Congrats for entering the new year in a new decade with Super Kudos for acceptance, "I'm happy with this."

Beth (bethFromDayton) Kudos for wallowing about in all that food planning without going to the fridge. Stopping food before it's served is a winner.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) Oh Yes, the Sabotaging Thought to just chunk it all after a single setback races into my head even as I'm taking the bite. It's gotta be the most common and most effective Sabotaging Thought of them all. My strategy is to recycle all the old saws like I wouldn't miss the next exit off the freeway if I missed one. Probably what works best for me is to recall that I've been in this spot before when I was losing and that jumping back on my horse is what allowed me to lose a chunk of weight. Kudos for confronting this and Extra Kudos for recognizing that this community can help.

ForMyGirls - LMAO at, "never trust a septuagenarian with an electric bicycle." Writing it down but not sure how often I encounter the situation. Kudos for getting out of bed to stay your path. And thanks for keeping the streak tally - I'm unabashedly using this streaking to my advantage; so glad it's here.

systemsaddict - Yay for our good systems and for acceptance of those that challenge us.

Problem: I'm embarrassed to exercise where others will see me.
Solution: Exercise at home to a fitness video or with a close friend who can provide moral support. Best of all, develop a more helpful mindset. Besides, who cares what others think? I've found that most exercisers are only concerned with their own activities. If they notice you at all, it'll be for only a brief moment, then they'll return their attention to what they are doing.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 110.

onebyone
12-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Coaches

I woke up with a hungry tummy. *credit* This last 10 dys since I got back from Florida seemed to be one long eating fest. I recall in Florida that I always woke feeling hungry. Since people here are counting streaks, I'm going to count that: the mornings I wake up hungry=1!

My fitbit flex arrived as did my Aria scale which works, in theory, with the flex for added tracking/information. The flex was easy to set up. It told me I slept 6.49hrs of the 8 I spent in bed. Ok. I tracked my food fairly easily in its software pgm online. great. I added my weight*credit for weighing in*this morning( down from yesterday=a yay). So that's all good, but trying to get the scale to work was a big pain. Apparently you have to have your wifi router set to "b" and most are g and n--whatever that means, and the help board is full of "I've been an IT guy for 15yrs and this has me stumped feel so bad for non-computer types." It's a scale:mad: it shouldn't be hard to set up!!! I sent a help request to fitbit for help. I was going to just send it back except that almost every help post on the comment board, once they were successful, said it was really worth the effort and to persevere. My DH said their server is probably crashing as everyone who got one for xmas, and now with new year's weightloss frenzy coming on, well everyone logging in to set up their scale could be too much on their end. It seems so.... ridiculous. And talk about your 1st world problems.

I didn't get to the gym yesterday. Will go today=planned exercise. I did unearth and set-up my table in the kitchen + two chairs. DH did not squawk over the change. Good.

Today I am making soup. For me, this is a good sign that I am re-focusing on my health/food/weightloss goals.

BTW I cannot tell you all how thrilled I am to see 2013 fade into history. Good riddance.

gardenerjoy
12-31-2013, 10:33 AM
My 100% OP streak count is back down to 0. DH is sick and he wanted pizza. Rather than bad delivery pizza, I went and picked up the good stuff with decent ingredients. I kept it to two slices and a large salad. My weight stayed the same this morning, so I'm considering that not too bad.

I'm ending the year 2.3 pounds lower than I started. My range over 2013 went from 164.8 to 176. I was aiming to keep it between 165 and 170, but had some trouble over the summer. I plan to nudge the low end down this winter in the hope that I can keep my weight between 160 and 170 in 2014. I think if I hang around on the lower end more often, I'm less likely to go squirting out the top end.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +45 1360/1400 minutes for December, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: My plan last night was homemade chicken noodle soup, which sounded great to DH when I first mentioned it. You never know where the sick brain is going to go. I made the stock yesterday, so it will be quick to put together when he decides that sounds about right.

veganasaurusrex
12-31-2013, 10:46 AM
I need to remember that it's much easier to type my posts in a different program because it's too easy to accidently delete everything I've written. I'm rewriting my post on notepad now and I'm sure that's a metaphore in there somewhere for working smarter instead of harder!

I did read my ARC 2/3 times yesterday but forgot the night time one. That's something to work on today. I'm going to start tracking a streak of days when I read it at my 3 scheduled times.

I didn't have any need to read any of my other response cards- the first few fresh days are always the easiest.

I ate everything sitting down and mostly quite mindfully!

I left work early (Shh!) to grab a beer with friends in from out of town and then went to the grocery store to get ingredients for very fancy vegan enchiladas. I am NOT a cook and this "30 minute simple recipe" took me TWO HOURS but the result was the most successful meal I've cooked on my own according to my partner.

Plan for Today:

I'm on Day 5 - eat Slowly and Mindfully! That's a tough one for me always. For breakfast (which I eat at work at my desk) I've been writing this post while eating which has made it slow but not mindful. For lunch I'm going to actually go to the break room to eat and dinner will be at home and easier to eat more mindfully.

-I will read my ARC twice more (morning done on plan)
-I will eat every meal sitting (so far so good)
-No eating in the car!

Credit! For yesterday I get credit for drinking loads of water and enjoying how it made me feel, for reading my ARC twice when sometimes once is a struggle, for cooking a healthy meal AND cleaning up the kitchen.

------------------------------

ForMyGirls Thanks for your very thoughtful and impactful response. I also use a tracking to-dolist program called "Habit RPG" and I went ahead and added a credit button so I can click it and get "points" every time I give myself credit. I really like the idea of a systems addict club, I'm proud to annouce my membership too! I think that you are right and I really need to invest in giving myself credit. Also credit to you for accounting for your food and being honest about it while also finding the positives there.

pamatga I love both KISS and "FINISH WHAT YOU START!" so much that both are now written on the white board next to my desk so I can look at them all the time. Thank you! I agree that one meal and day at a time will likely help me and I'm going to try and reorient my thinking around that. Thank you! Busy is very very good for me but sometimes I fall into the trap of the "glorification of busy" and I stop giving myself time to breath. It's all about finding happy mediums for me (but the perfectionist doesn't let that happen much!)

seadwaters Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Good luck getting rest tonight!

BBE Thanks for that excellent response - it's now one of my response cards. I really like the simple wisdom and analogies are great for me.

onebyone Congrats from a fellow member of the "hungry tummy club!" it's a good feeling.

nationalparker
12-31-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm in a good place today. Credits from yesterday include going light (not on purpose, but worked out that way) before our anniversary dinner ... ate less at dinner even though I gave myself permission to eat what I wanted ... decided on dessert from the market to save $ and calories and went with a four-bite fruit tart mini that was so cute (half strawberry, few blueberries, etc.) A treat, but not a 1,000 calorie treat to split.

Today is my last day to relax before going back to work, but a little devil on my shoulder is saying, just take two days of vacation on Thu/Fri and RELAX and don't think about work until Monday. We'll see which temptation wins out - save the vacation or actually get some days to relax. I know I won't relax tomorrow with the holiday gathering.

ForMyGirls - I'm taking that "8" and adding one to it from yesterday, so sitting at 9. DH suggested the creole spot for lunch and that works great for me - we can get it to go and save half here for another meal, even if it's for dinner... :) Goal to be at double digits for tomorrow's check-in.

Feeling like I'm on a wave of success here - but my mind is saying, what if the scale weren't reflecting a lower number... how would I be feeling? Would I be making the same choices? Why do I give it that power?

Veganasaurusrex - that recipe sounds like a doozy! Did you figure out ways to make it quicker in the future - sounds like a keeper, though. I wish I had all the time in the world to putter in the kitchen. I derive joy from it when I'm relaxed and not rushing. I do some mean enchiladas (or enchilada casserole when the tortillas keep breaking - it all depends on how those suckers go) ... with just black beans, diced onion, fresh sweet corn, green chiles, and a sprinkling of cheese along with the enchilada sauce. I know the cheese isn't vegan, but it comes together in literally about 10 minutes and bakes for 20 or so. It's one of DH's faves and easy to throw together after working during the day.

maryann
12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Good Morning, Coaches from Sunny Santa Cruz.

Credit for consecutive, four mile hikes along the ocean boardwalk to see the monarchs nesting in Eucalyptus and the surfers jousting with huge waves. Everyone is in short sleeves. We are in a top floor condo overlooking the ocean and the boardwalk. We hear the screaming of the seagulls and the people on the roller coasters.

The four families here have brought enough food for several small armies. The first day was a castrophe for me. I got caught off guard with dinner plans, never went back to the condo and ate dinner with the others when I was ravenous. My old enemy thought, "I have blown it anyway and I will diet tomorrow" came visiting. I was doomed.

Yesterday I hopped back OP for almost the whole day. Then we had to shop at Trader Joes because it was our turn to cook. I made it to the check out stand and there were frosted gingerbread cookies. "They are so small," I thought. "It is the holidays. The kids can eat them." As soon as I got home they were in my mouth and I was off on a tear. I did eat my smoothie, though. Credit. I had all me veggies and fruits.

So today I woke up, put dishwashing soap on everything sweet leftover and threw it all in the trash. I had my smoothie, a walk, and an OP lunch. That means 12 hours OP. I checked in here. Credit. Really, if I make it to 9:30 I can go to sleep and it will be a whole day. (I don't stay up for New Years.)

One day is a big deal.

Best to all. In the immortal words of Bing Crosby in the movie Holiday Inn "Let's start the new year right. . . "

maryblu
12-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Greetings all. It's a balmy -16 F here. Hope at least some of my Beckmates are warmer.

Yay, kudos onebyone for awakening with a hungry tummy. When I was losing my fat slowly, I knew I was on track when I was hungry 3 hours after eating something and when I awakened hungry.

BillBE, *laffin out loud at your 5 books at a time. SO gave me the new Nook for Xmas, so can read lotza books in the same spot. Always thought I was a purist and needed a real book in my hand..well another lesson learned. I am seriously smitten with this thing.

Could not believe my eyes when I saw you had eaten Snapping Turtle..thought that was strictly a treat for us folk in the sticks. Interesting you tried it, as I have been told it is one of the most toxic creatures we can consume. I tend to believe that, as they are bottom feeders and live a long, long time. When I learned that fact, I promptly declared that I would not eat another. The same person who pointed out how toxic they are said, "well, ya gotta die of something!". That was a great take on the situation, as Snapping Turtles fixed properly (and I have to humbly admit, I can fix them mighty fine) are just TDF. And yes, I fix them like chicken..good old fashioned fried chicken with gravy. They are amazingly tasty. They have the texture of chicken with a mild sorta fish-like, walleye taste. Making soup of them is a terrible waste IMHO. They are a real challenge to catch, but most of my local friends and neighbors have been known to make skid marks breaking for one crossing the road and finding a BIG stick to get it to latch onto and throw it into the back of the pick up or the trunk. Cleaning them is more than tricky and very gross. Someone had to be really hungry the first time he tried to eat a Snapping Turtle. I have had them lay their eggs in my driveway and have driven around the spot until they hatch and make for the lake. I also had quite a start one late afternoon as I sat at the top of the steps down to my beach talking on my cell phone as I dried off after a swim. I saw the waters slowly, slowly, slowly ripple and finally part as I saw this head as big as my fist emerge, and slowly, slowly, slowly the entire shell of a very large snapper appeared. He looked about, found nothing of interest, and just as slowly submerged. Would have been quite entertaining, but the fact that I had swum over that very spot not 5 minutes before gave me a shiver. ..well, more of a *shudder. Made me think twice about my next moonlight swim, but starry, meteor-shower August nights were made for night time swimming, and I figure at my age, what the heck? Thanks, Bill for making me think of summer fun and why I live in this frozen northland.

best to all,

Maryblu

CeeJay
12-31-2013, 09:26 PM
:newyear:

Best wishes to all the posters and the lurkers.

Credit today for: riding exercise bike, reading advantage and response cards, weighing myself, logging my food, and checking in with my coaches.

maryblu-be grateful for your balmy -16. It was -39 this morning. We have been in a terrible cold snap all of December. Somehow when it lasts this long, I think snap is not the correct word.

maryann-given my temperatures, your Santa Cruz posts are nice to read. Enjoy your holiday!

nationalparker-yay for being in a good place. Nowhere better to be.

veganasaurusrex-nice list of credits for you. I also find eating slowly and mindfully very difficult.

gardenerjoy-Fantastic that you have had such a successful year.

seadwaters-I am also using NYE as inspiration. Power to us both!!

bethFromDayton-20 day streak!!!! Awesome.

pamatga-lots of credits for you. BTW, I like your long posts- often you write something that gets me thinking!

ForMyGirls-liked your story about getting up to take the vitamins. I took up your idea of a streak and am on a streak to ride exercise bike every day up until my trip next week.

onebyone- wishing you a wonderful 2014. You deserve a peaceful year.

BillBlueEyes- I also love reading beside the Christmas tree. The thought of eating snapping turtle=just yuck!

:grouphug:

bethFromDayton
12-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

Happy New Year's Eve to everyone!

We traditionally have our huge house party New Year's Day weekend, so our house is usually hopping New Year's Eve. This year, because it fell on a Wednesday, we shifted the party to the following weekend. It is really strange for the house to be "just us" on New Year's Eve!

DD and I made/baked sweets tonight--and I held myself to one of each item, just as I planned. I also had had an ice cream treat after dinner :-(, which I should have skipped. Credit for admitting it. Credit for holding myself to one of each item, and credit for recording it--and still being within calorie range for the day.

It was a bit of "white knuckling" (thanks for the term, pamatga) but nothing "just found its way" into my mouth--and the three items were eaten sitting at the kitchen table.

I've got tomorrow planned out--it'll be a lot like a regular weekend day, so it should be easy.

Weight right at ticker, streak at 21 days!

CeeJay: Lots of credits for today!

maryblu: I know now more about snapping turtles than I ever could have imagined! Hope you can stay warm.

maryann: I thought of you at work today--just imagining being, like you, at goal. Your success is so inspiring!

nationalparker: Big credit for picking a small tasty satisfying treat. Scales are sneaky creatures--I think it's easy to give it power.

veganasaurusrex: Credit for realizing starting the book from the start is good for you. (I use notepad++ for typing my longer posts.)

gardenerjoy: 2.3 lb down means you've been maintaining and then some--and even as it climbed, you didn't let it climb out of control.

onebyone: I'm looking forward to hearing how the fitbit flex works for you.

BillBE: I laughed thinking of you with all of those in-process books in different areas of the house!

ForMyGirls: Awesome streak of 26! Your streak suggestion has really made a difference to me--it's helping me to focus on "keeping my streak"--thanks for organizing it! Big credits for managing both weight and frugal thinking.

systemsaddict: My "system" (when I follow it but I've been doing well) is calorie counting. Sunday night, I'm supposed to plan the week's meals--I just use a Word document. That'll be easier to get back to once the holidays are over. Every night, before bed, I enter the entire next day's plan into MyFitnessPal. I make adjustments if I need to, but it's somehow easier for me if I do it before the day rather than after I eat.

seadwaters: I'm smiling thinking of you creating your new spreadsheet. I hope you got some sleep!

Take care, all.

nationalparker
12-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Made the colossal mistake tonight on way home from movie and debating on what DH wanted for a late dinner, to say that I was excited that I am entering the new year 10 pounds lighter this year. DH said, "Huh? How's that? You mean you weigh 10 pounds less now than at the beginning of the year?" I felt wounded and mad at the same time. Lesson learned. Never again will I mention being on track to him. I'm still irritated.

Still stayed on track. But now definitely NOT feeling celebratory for NY Eve. Need to regroup and just wanted to vent.

GosfordGirl
01-01-2014, 03:19 AM
Hi Coaches

I don't get tired of saying HNY or hearing it this year. Happy New Year! :newyear:

I have been at home doing a writing project today so getting my steps in has been difficult. I have had to resort to setting the timer and getting up after 25 minutes and walking rapidly around the flat for 5 minutes - takes a lot of those to get to the number! Today is on plan food wise and I have planned food for tomorrow. All food for today has been logged so I am taking credit for that. My weight is equal to my sticker so I am down to the weight I was before the holidays - credit. Have started to revise my advantage and response cards and now that I have finished the last of my writing projects for work (while on leave!) I can now focus on leave projects like writing responses and rereading Beck

ForMyGirls - Great streak! You are doing well on both counts - frugal and sticking on track with your Beck plans - more credits to you

BillBlueEyes - Snapping turtle soup sounds extremely exotic and therefore unusual - now clearer about the significance of why one might eat it after maryblu's post - I don't think you had quite her experience LOL

Onebyone - I too want an aria to go with my Fitbit but I might now wait until you sort it out! Hungry tummy for me means I am actually working it - thanks for the reminder that it is good - not a negative experience. I am very hungry at the moment. LOL "good riddance to 2013" - I am with you on that

Gardenerjoy - ouch for partners who are sick and have cravings. Credit for meeting his needs and balancing yours. And Credit for a great year

Vegan...Rex - Credit for all your successes today. LOL at simple recipes that take 2 hours! Thank you for mentioning HabitRPG! I love gadgets and role playing games - used to play them when all the computer had on the screen was a blinking amber cursor. So I explored it and loved it thanks. I like your idea of setting up a button for credits - but not sure yet about how to see the score / streak

Nationalparker - Credit for going light and for taking charge of your anniversary treat. Glad that today you are in a good place. Difficult that what we value doesn't mean quite as much to SOs - glad you came here to vent!

Maryann - Ouch for "My old enemy thought, "I have blown it anyway and I will diet tomorrow" came visiting. I was doomed." I am making a response card for that - I get tripped up by it all the time. Credit for getting back on plan and during a vacation too. Bing Crosby got it right - I am inspired by the new year

Maryblu - thanks so much for the stories of snapping turtles! They seem far more "accessible" now. Still don't want to eat it though - cringe

CeeJay - HNY to you! And a great list of credits. Yay - power indeed

Beth(fromDayton) - great planning and restraint with the baked sweets - moving on from the ice-cream - credit. Yay for in range with calories! You are doing so well with weight over the holidays - credit

ForMyGirls
01-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Team total of 125 tonight - streak of 27 for me. I love how being 100% OP is starting to feel like just what I do :-)

A credit for today - when faced with a hotter than expected curry for dinner I chose to reduce the quantity of curry rather than increasing the quantity of rice!

Vegan...Rex - thanks for the phrase "the glorification of busy"!

See you all in the January board :-)

BillBlueEyes
01-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Please join us as this discussion continues on:Beck Diet For Life/Solution January 2014 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/291089-beck-diet-life-solution-january-2014-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/206004-list-monthly-beck-threads-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)