Diabetes Support - December Chat

View Full Version : December Chat

love2b150
12-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Welcome to all of our diabetic friends :hug:

Wannabehealthy
12-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Good Morning! I didn't even realize it is now December. Thanksgiving is behind us but the holiday season is still in full swing for most of us and we need to continue to be diligent.

fatmad
12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi friends: sounds like folks did well with Thanksgiving, so be thankful!
I was good this week on plan, and did plan to splurge last night at supper. I took oldest DD and the rest of the family out for her birthday. We decided on Peking Duck and other chinese food. Went to a place that DSIL recommended, as his family goes there, along with half the chinese population of Scarborough, it seems. The duck was delicious. I had never had it before. The first course, is the skin and some meat, the 2nd is the rest of the meat removed from the bone, diced up and stir fried with chopped veggies, we had is with lettuce leaves for wraps. I skimped on the hoisin sauce that goes with it, as that is quite sugary. We had several other dishes, and I didn't have rice, but did have a few noodles from the cantonese chow mein. I didn't weigh today, because we all know who much we retain water with the salty food. No dessert, we were all full. I did stop when I got full, before I was stuffed or uncomfortable.
I plan to be quite careful with food until Saturday again, when we have a work holiday party. (by careful I mean low carb)
How is everyone planning to get through December? At this point, I just have a few occasions to plan for, a little worried about things that "just come up".
That can be very difficult to deal with.
Have a good start to the week everyone.

pattygirl63
12-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Can it be December already? Boy how time flies. Thanks Rennie for starting our new month.

Fatmad You really made some good choices at the Chinese restaurant. Of course the salt always shows up on me the next day or two.

We don't have big plans for December. DGS who lives with us on weekends has a birthday Wednesday and we are taking him out to local Steakhouse so that will be REALLY easy to stay OP with steak, salad and steamed veggies. I will let DGS and hubby hit the bread. I don't really like their version of a blooming onion so no big temptation there.

The church family who usually has everyone out to their place for Christmas isn't doing that any more I'm sure because we've grown too many to house besides the mother of one the wives has been in and out of the hospital lately. DGS is going to FL for 3 weeks to visit his Mom, Dad and family there. So unless my DS decides to come back for Christmas which I don't think they can, it looks like it will just be DH and me here for Christmas. So most of what I will be eating this month will be OP. The only thing I plan to eat off plan is a piece of pecan pie Christmas day.

Carol Sue Yep, we made it through the holidays behind us and hopefully we can do as well with the 2 left.

We didn't go out for breakfast this morning. DH and I went to Walmart after church to pick up a few things. Eating breakfast at home made it so much easier to stay OP. I am really into this now and don't want to do anything to mess it up. My FBS is coming down nicely. This is day 3 eating Primal and my FBS has come down to 172 this morning. Weight has stayed the same 2 days in a row. Hopefully it will stabilize and then start going down.

Enjoy your Sunday everybody.

Wannabehealthy
12-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Is anyone here on any other diabetes meds besides Metformin? I was also on Amaryl when I was first diagnosed but my PCP took me off of it almost immediately. I was able to control my BS for a long time with just Metformin but am now considering going back to Amaryl. The bad thing is it increases the chances of hypoglycemia and also is known to cause weight gain. I don't want to deal with either of these issues if I can avoid it.

Trish, we have eliminated most of our restaurant eating. We used to eat out so much but it gets expensive. It offers us the opportunity to each order what we want, but sometimes I end up eating when I'm not really hungry. Most of the restaurants offer a huge breakfast, with eggs, bacon, potatoes, and bread. If you order ala carte you end up paying as much for just eggs as for the breakfast specials.

I was reading about Primal. One statement stuck in my mind.

80% of your body composition is due to what you eat rather than exercise.

I agree with that. It said that although exercise is good for you, to lose weight you HAVE to adjust your diet. I have seen so many discussions about this, where some people tout exercise for weight loss and others, diet.

Mad - The thing about water weight is it's just water weight, not fat. Water weight will be gone in a few days but fat hangs around forever. LOL Even thin people who seem to eat whatever they want get water weight sometimes from eating high sodium. They don't jump on the scale and worry about those couple pounds because they know it will be gone. I think increasing your water consumption will get rid of it faster. The main thing is you are getting sufficient protein and limiting your carbs. Good job!

Ruthxxx
12-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Checking in after a week of debauchery - just the food type, of course. My problem with visiting my pal Linda is that there ware way too many tempting carbs. I did try to keep my evil twin in check but we shall see what the scale and tester say in the morning. I did remember to bring along my meds and even remembered to take them.

By the way my diabetic meds are: 1500 Metfromin, 30 ml glicazide and 18 ml Victoza. The Met is split to three times a day and the rest of the stuff is a.m. It seems to work for me - as long as I remember to take them!

fatmad
12-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Welcome back Ruth, glad you had a good time, even if you did overindulge a bit. Time with good friends is always well spent.
Weight is back down nicely, and I will stay on plan today. I managed to convince myself to take the dog to the trail, even though I am a bit tired, being up late for work last night.
I have another mediation session tonight. This is a bit stressful, even if it will help the work atmosphere in the long run.
Well, snack before I go off to that.

Ruthxxx
12-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Well, I cannot believe the scale but it said 187 this morning. It was 193 eight days ago! Must have been wrong because I sure cannot lose that much in a week - especially a week when I ate pecan pie, red velvet cake and coconut cream pie plus Italian cookies, etc!

Today I am heading for the grocery to stock up on veggies. I just do NOT like frozen veggies! Right now I have a lentil soup started and want to add carrots and green onions to the mix. It's definitely soup season here in the Great White North.

Wannabehealthy
12-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Ruth - My MIL used to make homemade lentil soup and I wouldn't even try it. It did not look appetizing. Once I decided I should add some healthy lentils to my diet I tried Progresso and it was good, but I've never had homemade to compare it to. I also bought some off brand once and I didn't like the soup, but I drained and rinsed it and just ate the lentils. They still had some flavor to them from being in the soup. I believe lentils are the healthiest of the bean family.

I eat mostly frozen veggies because since my husband isn't real big on veggies it's hard to keep fresh ones from going bad before I eat them all. With frozen, I can cook the portion size that I want and put the bag back in the freezer. Plus I don't like raw veggies. They have to be cooked.

Ruth, don't try to analyze what the scale says. Just accept it! I would! LOL

Wannabehealthy
12-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I just finished exercising, the first in a while. My body wanted to stop, but I kept saying "A couple more minutes," and ended up doing 45 minutes and hating every minute! LOL

Butterfly50
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey guys I know I havn't been around much but I have been busy, Plus it seems like I get a awful amount of tracking cookies from this site. I have a awful lot of stressful stuff going on lately I am so down in the dumps it crazy plus trying to get ready for Christmas and then get all this decorating done around here.
I hope all is ding fine I will try to come back jest depends on my computer I am getting a new one , Till later:hug:

Wannabehealthy
12-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm so glad to hear from you Bonnie! I am sorry to hear that you are so down. Things have to turn around soon for you! There's just too much on your shoulders.

Glad to hear your getting a new computer. Then there's no excuse for not coming here.

Ruthxxx
12-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Carol Sue, you have inspired me to clear the "stuff" off my treadmill and I may even get on it today! Weightloss is diet related but we need to exercise for fitness. My friend Anna turned 85 yesterday and still goes to the gym MWF at 7:30. She's my idol. I want to be Anna when I grow up.

Bonnie, I was wondering where you were. Sorry you are down and I am wishing very hard for something great to happen to you and yours soon.

Weight is still 187 - I hope it's just resting up for the next downward plunge. I am well stocked with healthy foods so ...

Unfortunately I'm heading into the December social stuff - an open house tonight at an upscale catering, flower and gift shop in the next town. I'm hoping she has lots of veggies and her fancy-dancy dips. I may skip eating supper until later - if at all!

Shhhh but I turn 75 on January 14 - that's 3/4 of a century. I sure would like to be on the cusp of the 170s by then. I sure need to stiffen my resistance muscle as we start the "Festive Season". Mad, will you join me?

Wannabehealthy
12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Good for you Ruth, getting back to the treadmill! Every time I see older people having a hard time getting around it reminds me to get back to exercising. You're right, it's important for so many things. It tones your muscles, keeps your joints loose, strengthens your heart and lungs, lower BS and BP, cholesterol and triglycerides and brightens your mood! My mother's family all died relatively young from heart problems, in their 60's mostly. Except for my uncle, her youngest brother. He lived to be 91 and was pretty active, still driving, except for the last couple months. He told me that he went out and walked every day, rain or shine. I never forget him telling me that. I mostly do it to lower my BS and BP.

Well, your open house was yesterday so it's too late for advice, but I would skip dinner or have something really small instead of risking adding unneeded calories.

Ruthxxx
12-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Would you believe I completely forgot the Open House, made a meatloaf and stayed home by the fire. Remembered it this morning when a friend messaged me on FB with a "Where were you?" Probably just as well.

love2b150
12-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi ALL :wave:

weight is good has gone back down to 181.4 this morning. I haven't been to the gym since Monday and it felt good but was oh so hard. I was exhausted afterwards. I haven't been logging my meals like I should. This week has just been rough … it's hard to stay positive when life turns all at once.

Good to hear (see) you all are doing well.

Bonnie things will get better for us. Prayerfully soon :hug:

I want to try lentils … can someone describe the taste? your opinion of what they taste like/remind you of?

oh my fbs hasn't been low this month. The lowest is 153 highest has been 177. Gotta go back to low carbs.

love2b150
12-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Good Saturday Morning,

My day has started off nice with a weigh in of 180.8 down .6 from yesterday. Just .4 higher than my ticker. Fbs was 166 this morning.

Enjoy your day everyone :hug:

love2b150
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Madeleine, good job on stopping when you were full at Peking Duck :high: If I made it through Thanksgiving without a gain I can definitely do it for December. So no worries for me there. How was your holiday party? Good for you on your walk with the dog on the 3rd. It is tiring when you haven't done something and do it again, but it does make you feel good when you're done that you did it. :)

Trish you've been making some really good decisions with food, keep up the good work. Yay for you on your fbs. The new way of eating is working out :high:

Most of the restaurants offer a huge breakfast, with eggs, bacon, potatoes, and bread. If you order ala carte you end up paying as much for just eggs as for the breakfast specials.

I was reading about Primal. One statement stuck in my mind.

80% of your body composition is due to what you eat rather than exercise.

I agree with that. It said that although exercise is good for you, to lose weight you HAVE to adjust your diet.

Carol Sue, it is crazy how you pay so much more for less at restuarants. But you know what I do if none of the kids want the extra. I just tell the waiter not to bring it. Then I'm not tempted to eat it. On exercise and eating have you read anything about what to eat to reduce belly fat? When I click on those ads, it always brings you to a video then it's all about money. Doesn't work for me! I take 2000mg of Met, magnesium, vitamin D, and Fish Oil. Carol Sue way to go on the exercising on the 4th :high:

Ruth good job on remembering your meds while away :high: Nice weigh in Ruth on the 4th :high: you didn't do as bad as you thought while away :) I buy frozen veggies because like Carol Sue said, they'll go bad in my house. That's a great thing your friend is doing still going to the gym. Yay for Anna. I want to be like all of you when I grow up :) I'm 47 (48 in April). Your will and determination is inspiring. My youngest daughters birthday is January 7th, she'll be 10. Ruth maybe you needed the rest the day of the open house. Sitting by the fire place sounds nice and soothing :)

fatmad
12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi everyone:
I was down as far as 177, but we had our office holiday party on Saturday, and I am up a bit. also overdid the carbs the next day, so am low carbing very carefully today.
DD has been home for a few days, studying for finals and escaping from room-mate problems. she is a delight to have around. Something about living away from home sure helps them turn into real people instead of remaining teens.
I hope everyone is having a good week.

Ruthxxx
12-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Whoops! Way off track because those darned Ferrero Rocher chocolates called my name. i should just stop kidding myself that I buy them as hostess gifts. Back on track today with low carbing. Trying a new chicken recipe for dinner which I'll post if it works out.

love2b150
12-10-2013, 11:38 AM
I hit my new low of 177.6 today and an fbs of 129 (the lowest I've been this year is 128).

Ruthxxx
12-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Chicken recipe was a bummer, probably because the broiler was not working properly. It was the first time I used it although I've had the stove for three years. :shrug: I'll use the chicken for soup and will also dig out the manual for the stove.

Today I am off to town to get some chicken livers for a pate. I am supposed to be upping my red meat to get more B vitamins since my hemoglobin is too low. I have a slight problem with cooking real liver but think I can cope with the chicken ones. I want to try out the pate on my book club when they meet here tomorrow night.

Hope your day is healthy and happy.

pattygirl63
12-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Rennie Great on the 177.6 lbs and 128 fbs. You are doing great.

Ruthie Sorry about the chicken recipe not working out. Hope you can figure out how to work the stove. I love liver and so does Hubby.

I have problems posting on 3fc for some reason. I keep getting a not safe site on my pc. I have no problems posting on other sites so don't know what the problem is here. So even if I don't say anything, I am still lurking. just not able to post.

I am just trying to eat healthy. When I eat my greens (didn't last 2 days), my fbs is lower than when I don't. Sorry I am not able to comment on Carol Sue and Fat, I can hardly get the words typed out on here.

Y'all have a nice day and I'll post again when I can.

Wannabehealthy
12-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Anybody ever look into DR Joel Fuhrman's program? It's not vegetarian but you eat mostly vegetables with no carbs and very little protein. It's guaranteed to lower BS and get you off your meds (type 2s) and to promote weight loss. Cutting out that much protein would be the hard part for me.

Rennie, most of the legitimate articles I have read about losing belly fat have said to cut out carbs. It seems that if you have any medical problems at all, carbs are the cause. I have never looked into it as far as what you should eat, just what you should avoid. I don't know if there are any foods that would help with the loss of belly fat.

Trish - I just ate a big plate of kale, sauteed with mushrooms and onions. Yummy! My tastes are changing and I'm starting to crave this. Who would think that an overweight, diabetic old lady would ever crave kale! I just might make more for dinner, too. LOL

Ruth - Sorry you missed your open house. It sounded nice, but like you said, it's probably just as well. You cooked a good meal and relaxed for the evening. Your body probably needed that.

How's it going Mad, and Bonnie?

fatmad
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Well I move the ticker down today. So I am doing ok. I also went to yoga this evening. I expect a couple of stressful days with work. We are in mediation for our problems, and in the long run things will be better, but right now are not good. I am fine until another meeting comes up.

love2b150
12-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Ruth sorry about the chicken but thank goodness you can still use it :) My friend has one of those double ovens that's new age and difficult to work. Who would have thought they would make a cooking device complicated to operate :shrug:

thanks Trish :hug: I think 3FC just periodically has nuts that go in and try to mess it up. I know it's been happening here and there ever since I've used this site. It'll pass soon hopefully :) I'm hoping to get my fbs in a normal range of won't that make my year :)

Trish and Carol Sue, I keep looking at the greens but they look horrible here in every store I've been in. I just want to tell the produce manager to throw it all out for the deer to eat. They are sure having a field day with my Uncle's crops this year.

I know there's a pop up ad that I never click on that says don't eat this if you want to lose belly fat. Also would you happen to have a list of those bs lowering veggies? I'd sure like to see it :) Your sauteed kale sounds good :drool: minus the mushrooms, I'm not a fan of them to eat but I do love the flavor they give off :)

:woohoo: Madeleine on moving your ticker :) I'm afraid to move mine everytime I do I have a ridiculous spike so I'll give it until Sunday. If I can stay in the 170's until then, I'll change it. That will be one week seeing that 7 :D … hoping things improve at work for the new year :hug:

love2b150
12-12-2013, 10:55 PM
huh I changed it already, duh :dizzy:

Wannabehealthy
12-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Rennie - I'm on the run today, but I will post a list of the recommended veggies. I will say that Kale is at the top of the list! It's not so much the veggies as it is that you are eating tons of them and not much else. I know I can't go as low on protein as he suggests, but I don't eat much beef or pork...it's mostly roasted chicken and baked fish. He offers a list of veggies that contain protein as a substitute and that includes beans, but I will still have to have some meat based protein.

How did you get your BS so low compared to what it was a few months ago. What changed?

Wannabehealthy
12-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Ruth, I got a new gas range and I don't like it. It's a GE Profile. The main thing I don't like about it is when the oven is on, the heat comes up from 2 vents on either side. When I'm baking cookies, the ones around the outside of the cookie sheet get done faster than the ones in the middle. It has a convection feature and if I use that it is a little better, but not like my old stove. I think I am going to write a letter to GE and let them know what I don't like about it. I'm stuck with it though, because it is stainless steel and I paid so much money for it I can't just get rid of it and buy a new one. Sometimes I put the cookies all around the outside of the cookie sheet and leave the middle empty.

One thing was really good about it. When I was cooking my turkey for Thanksgiving, the legs and thighs were closer to the sides of the oven where the heat is greater, and the breast was in the middle. So my dark meat got nicely done and the breast stayed moist and didn't dry out. Thank God for small favors. LOL

Ruthxxx
12-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Carol Sue, I cook my turkeys breast side down and it works fine.

Will be going out for an early Christmas dinner tonight - my friend's kids go to their father's place in Newfoundland for Christmas this year. So the feasting season begins! I will try very hard to not gain - my very warm winter coat is just a tad snug since I'm ten pounds heavier than last year. :(

Since my crazy Book Club was here last night, today feels like Saturday. I notice that very little disappeared from the veggie tray but the chips, cheese and pate disappeared. Hmmm. I'm planning to make a major veggie soup today - maybe I should pass it around.

Pulling myself together to get stuff done this morning as I have a meeting this afternoon before the dinner party. I'm planning to make a food porn item as a hostess present but will fortify myself with freshly cleaned teeth and a glass of water before I start to cook. Works for me.

Have a great Friday!

love2b150
12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Carol Sue, I have cut my carbs down substantially, they were in the high 200's like my fasting blood sugar but that was in the low 200's. When my carbs are high my fbs is high. My carb intake yesterday was 96 total and that came from an apple, chili and a peanut block that I ate. My fbs this morning was 125. I also drink 8-16oz of water with apple cider vinegar in the evening when I get home. I'm not a fan of Kale alone but I will mix it with other greens, mustard or turnip, very good.

Wannabehealthy
12-14-2013, 09:17 AM
How much vinegar do you put in the water? I tried that once and I don't know if I had too much vinegar in it but it was so terrible I couldn't do it again. If it's helping, I might try it again. I am getting desperate. I am holding off going back to the doctor for more meds, but my blood sugars are terrible right now. I have to do something. These high readings are really scaring me. I have to find something I can stick with long term.

I never ate greens until recently. My mother never cooked greens and I didn't like the looks of them so I never tried them. After I heard about how healthy they are I decided to try them and I like them. I started out with swiss chard. I like that. Now I've tried Kale. I have yet to try mustard or turnip. They are all very healthy. I like the idea of mixed greens, but since I am the only one eating them, buying a bunch of each of them would give me more greens than I can eat before they go bad. This last bunch of kale I bought was so green and fresh!

love2b150
12-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Carol Sue, I put 2 tablespoons in a 16.9 oz bottle of water (and last night I probably had a of the bottle still left at bedtime. An old friend use to drink it all day in a 64oz jug (I'm not sure how much she used though) but I don't want to sip on that all day. I really think it does help along with getting 8 hours of rest. My blood sugar is so much better when I'm not up 2 to 3 times in the night going to the bathroom. With the greens when you buy a bunch you can blanch them and then freeze them by the serving size that you eat. That's what I do. My husband and I are the only ones that eat them here.

My carb intake for yesterday was 47 total. My fbs this morning was 109. I think the lowest it had been in 2012 was 116. So I hope this keeps up. I should have taken it again maybe it was a fluke, I don't know. I did the control test and it was in range so I guess I did ok for a change.

weight down .6 to 176.2 this morning.

pattygirl63
12-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Rennie Great info about the apple cider vinegar. Thanks for sharing. I have been using it with EVOO on my salads because of the benefits. I will try adding it to water and drinking it.

I too love the kale. I bring mine home and rinse and dry in salad spinner and then put it in bags. It has lasted a good 2 weeks, but it was really fresh. I made me a 2 egg omelet with some kale in it this morning. I was in a hurry so I pan fried 2 pcs of turkey bacon and cut it up in the Magic Bullet with the eggs and blended and pan fried in a little bit of EVOO (I just put a little EVOO in pan and use a brush to cover the pan) and cooked the omelet and it was really good. I have some mustard greens that I'm going to see if I can rinse it and dry in the salad spinner again to see if it will get crispy again, if not I'll have to cook it.

I am learning that I need to eat the greens, drink plenty of water and get a minimum of 8 hrs sleep each night in order for my fbs to come down. I hope the ACV added to the water will really help it continue to come down more. I am impressed with how things are working for you Rennie.

Got to run. Catch y'all later.

love2b150
12-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Trish the light bulb just went off. I never thought about blending things with my eggs before cooking them. I use to make a spinach and cheese omelet but it makes my mouth dry so I can never finish it. After about half of it I want to gag. But I'm gonna try blending it and see how it comes out, thank you :) Also another really tasty omelet is zucchini, yellow squash with onion so so good :drool:

I've really got to get back to my greens but they all just look so bad here right now, even the ones in my Uncle's field. I'm doing better with my water and sleep is a day to day hit or miss :)

fatmad
12-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi friends: no movement down from the 177, but at least it isn't going up. I won't move it again until the new year I think, if I lose a bit, I may gain it back over Christmas feasting.
We completed mediation in the office and things are much better right now, and I have been sleeping without taking anything. Nothing to get me to sleep, nothing to keep me asleep. No supplements that was at all.
I did some blood work the other day and will see my doctor on Tuesday.
Holidays for two weeks starting in the morning. Lots of snow here, may ski around the yard today and get my cross-country muscles into gear.

Don't get discouraged about sugars and weights, we will do better as we learn.

Ruthxxx
12-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Sort of sorry I faced the scale this morning as it showed me back in the 190s - then I remembered I had corned beef for dinner last night. I had planned to serve it to two friends last night for supper but we got a big dump of snow and the roads were closed around here by 5 from all the snow. I froze the rest of the corned beef and will use for hash in the New Year.

My lane has just been ploughed by Richard and his huge machine so today's exercise will be shovelling. The monster machine can only do the lane, not the porches, deck, walk and the steps down from the deck to the Dog Yard. The steps drift in so badly that the dogs thing it's gone and won't go down into their yard. I'm going to do the deck and steps and then invite my friend over with her big Rottie who can plough his way around the yard making potty paths.

Sat and watched Steel Magnolias on TV yesterday afternoon and felt really slothful. I made myself stand up and march swinging my arms during commercials which assuaged some of my goofing-off guilt. I never ever watch daytime TV (unless it's a royal funeral or wedding) and certainly don't plan to make it a habit. I was deliberately being good to myself since it has been a stressful week with some unpleasantness here and there. (I think the whole Village would benefit from a mediation!)

OK - time to make those rum cakes I promised as Christmas gifts. I'll arm myself with flossed teeth, a glass of cold water and surgical gloves which always keeps me from "tasting" during baking sessions. I seem to get more cookies per batch when I bake that way - strange, isn't it? ;)

fatmad
12-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Ruth, thats hilarious. I can just imagine you marching around while you watch "steel magnolias". I turned it off, so I wouldn't wind up crying, but didnt do much around the house.
Hope things improve in the neighbourhood. Can't be too bad if Richard and the big machine come over and plow.
Big dumps of snow here and there, so stay warm.

pattygirl63
12-17-2013, 12:33 AM
This is 3rd time that I've tried to post. Ads pop up and I can't read what I write or knocks me off line completely. Only happens on 3fc, not sure why.

Ruth I laughed at you marching around while watching "Steele Magnolia". Never thought of marching while watching tv. LOL Have to try that.

Fatmad Glad the mediations are done at work and things are better. Enjoy your holiday.

I'm just holding my own with eating right now. Main thing is to get through the holidays without a gain and then get busy with plan. I don't remember if I shared that I'm ready a book called The Daniel Plan written by Rick Warren, Dr. Amen and Dr. Hyman. Learning about foods and how they affect the body. I'm easing into eating some of the food changes. I only drink decaf coffee and green tea now. I use lemon in my water to make it more tasty. Need to go to the store and get some more greens. I was able to salvage enough mustard greens to have in my salads until I can get to the store.

DGS leaves tomorrow on a train to go down to his Mom's for a month. It will be nice to have the brake. He is 20 now and extremely moody. Not sure all that is bothering him, but maybe some time with his Mom and his Dad will help.

Well, it is late and I'm getting sleepy tonight without my sleepytime tea so I'm going to head for bed. I will check back whenever this thing let's me type again. I do lurk even when I can't type so y'all have a great day... After midnight now so it is actually Tuesday. :) LOL

Wannabehealthy
12-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Ruth, I do watch daytime TV...The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful, but I watch it on the TV in the game room while I'm on my treadmill and elliptical. I also have a weight machine that I use, and that pretty much take the hour and a half that the shows last. And what's nice about it, they started showing those 2 soaps over again in the evening, so that if I miss them in the afternoon I can watch (and exercise) in the evening. For a while I had a rule that if I was watching my soaps I HAD to be downstairs exercising, but that has gone by the wayside recently. As I'm baking cookies, I'm going between the kitchen and living room watching the soaps at the same time, and then after being on my feet all day I'm too tired to exercise in the evening. One evening I checked my BS before bed and it was high, so I went downstairs and walked for 20 minutes to bring it down.

My worst thing is sleep. I know I need good sleep but I can't get it. I've had trouble for years. I fall asleep a few minutes after my head hits the pillow, but after about 2 hours I wake up. It's not always to go to the bathroom. Sometimes it's aches and pains. Sometimes I can fall back to sleep, sometimes not. I don't want to take anything to help me sleep. When I was in the hospital the doctor told me the only thing he would give me for sleep is Benedryl, so I do use that sometimes. But my problem is not falling asleep. That's the easy part. I just can't stay asleep more than a couple hours.

Ruthxxx
12-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Good morning! I am struggling with keeping weight down and snacking on salty stuff is NOT helping! Strangely FBGL is still good :shrug: but the scale is creeping up again. This is such a difficult time of year for us all. I need to exercise my resistance muscle and hide the goodies I have already bought for my Christmas entertaining!

Keep on keeping on, Chickies!

fatmad
12-19-2013, 11:49 PM
fasting blood sugar 5.6 and A1C 5.7 by lab.
Happy with those numbers and so is my doc. otherwise things are good, but the carb monsters are bothering me.
Will have to be strong for a bit to get back on track.
Have a good day friends.

pattygirl63
12-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Just checking in to say hello and still hanging in there. I'm sure everyone is getting ready for Christmas and family things. It will be quiet here as it will only be DH and me.

His birthday is Christmas eve so I'll take him out to dinner Christmas eve to celebrate and then we will do our thing for Christmas day. I'll stick to Carbohydrate Addict's one RM both days and eat low carb all the other meals and snacks. I've managed to stay between 233 and 235 sometime 235 lbs so I consider that an accomplishment. If I can end up on 12-26 weighing no more than 235, I will be more than happy.

We don't do anything special for New Yrs do I've decided to do my best to start Atkins Induction on the day after Christmas. I'm going to combine the Daniel's Plan 2 week start along with some of the ideas of Atkins. A lot of the foods are the same minus the carby foods which The Daniel Plan says some people cannot handle. I will take the best foods that are the same or same types and make up a food plan list of the foods that I like and then just go for. I know that if I do this my blood numbers will be so much better if not normal by the time I see the doc in February. Just by doing what I've done so far, the cravings are so much better so why not just go for it. I intend to do this the way Dana Carpendar said she did in her book. I'm going to lowcarb most of the time especially at home with the idea that when we go out to eat or go to a special event, I can have "one" meal with the carbs. Example, I know one morning a month that I'm going to a brunch at the Ladies Brunch at church so I will plan for that to be a carby meal. (Don't want to use special names like "Reward" meal. It sounds too much like awarding myself for a good job and sets me up for a fall.) If things keep going like it has so far this month, I will end the month with a 4 lb loss although I won't be counting it as a loss because it will only make my ticker accurate making me end the month with no gain. I've just decided that it is crazy to know what to do and not to do it.

Hope y'all have a great weekend and time preparing for the holiday. Be back when I can.

Wannabehealthy
12-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Sounds like a plan, Trish! Hope it works out well for you.

Mad, your numbers are very good, so you must be doing something right!

Once Christmas is over I will be able to get back to execising. I still have a lot of baking and pre-meal prep to do. I know that is an excuse, but it's the only one I have right now! LOL

Ruthxxx
12-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Coping with ice pellets that plan to continue until Sunday night plus flickering lights. However, I do have a propane generator that I can use if I lose power.

In between dealing with all this ice, I am slowly working away at getting my Christmas cooking organized. A tad nervous about baking (flickering power) but did get two rum cakes made this afternoon. Because we have been told to stay off the highways, I did not go to an Open House this afternoon - saved a few calories there! It'll be a comfort supper of Italian Wedding soup tonight and an early bed. Fighting weather tires me out! Exercise today was chipping ice from the steps, the bird feeder and a big soup pot that I left outside to chill.

Wake me when it's over, OK? I totally understand why people head South for the winter from this part of the country.

pattygirl63
12-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, I spent the last week homesick and depressed. Haven't seen my family back home in 4 yrs and my Daddy is 90. I think DH has been feeling the same way since none of our kids are going to be here this year. Just the 2 of us. Then yesterday I began to think about how things were the 1st 2 yrs after my previous hubby died. Tony and I met online 2 yrs after our spouses died. We were lost without our sweethearts of over 30 yrs of marriage. I reminded DH of how we felt and how blessed we are to have found eache other. So this year instead of doing Christmas to make our kids and their families happy, we are going to do what pleases us.

We are having DH family traditional Christmas ham (we had turkey in my family because ham was for New Yrs dinner which DH family didn't celebrate). DH DD always makes potato salad because she is convinced is his favorite (he's never told her it isn't). His Mother always made homemade noodles which is his favorite so I'm making them for him. This southern girl loves cornbread dressing which I'm making a small batch. We both love green beans. I bought them fresh to cook and then I will make me a salad with kale. Love that stuff. Got to have it at least once a day. No baking this year although I do intend to have our favorite desserts. They have single servings of pies, so I got his favorite and mine so we will eat one serving and quit. Very carby, but will be back on low carb the next day.

Y'all have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Wannabehealthy
12-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I just finished the last of my Christmas baking. I am so exhausted I could just drop. Tomorrow I will clean up and be ready for the big day. I'm not cooking a big meal, a baked ham and potato salad (it IS my dh's favorite LOL ) a new brussels sprouts recipe and dips and spreads for crackers. I had to throw in the brussels sprouts so we will have SOMETHING healthy.

Everyone have a good holiday. See you on the flip flop!

pattygirl63
12-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Carol Sue If the Brussel sprouts recipe turns out good, please share. I usually just steam mine and put either butter or coconut oil on them. I thought that was funny that your DH's favorite is hamd and potato salad. LOL

Wannabehealthy
12-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Although brussels sprouts are healthy, this recipe is not completely healthy. I got it from a free recipe booklet that Aldi's was handing out for the holidays. It has 28 great recipes in it, with photos. From main courses, to appetizers, to side dishes and desserts.

I will let you know how this turn out and if my family likes it. I think most of them like brussels sprouts.

Beyond Compare Brussels Sprouts

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
8 slices of bacon
3 - 3.5 lb brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1/2 cup chicken stock (optional)

Prepare muffin mix according to pkg, stirring thawed corn into batter.
Cook bacon, reserving drippings. Crumble when cooled
Place brussels sprouts on baking pan and toss with bacon drippings, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Roast 15-20 min.
Break corn muffins into bite size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 min until golden brown and crispy.
Carmelize onion in small frying pan.
Just before serving, toss brussels sprouts with 3/4 of the crumbled bacon, carmelized onions and corn muffin crumbles. If desired, add chicken stock to moisten. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with remaining crumbled bacon.

You could probably omit the bacon, or cut back to 4 slices. You could toss the brussels sprouts with EVOO instead of the bacon drippings. You could omit the corn in the corn bread, and if you are watching your carbs, each person could exclude the corn bread cubes from their portion. My meal is not healthy overall, with the ham and potato salad and all the cookies I baked. It's only 1 day. If I prepared a heart healthy and diabetic friendly meal my company would go somewhere else to eat. LOL

My meal is not a sit-down dinner for Christmas. It will all be set out on the table and each person can eat when they want to. I'm going to put the brussels sprouts in my very small slow cooker to keep them warm.

Wannabehealthy
12-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Here is a cauliflower recipe from the same booklet.

Roasted Cauliflower with Cranberries and Crispy Onions

1 head cauliflower
3 TBS EVOO divided
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup french fried onions divided
1/2 cup dried cranberries divided
\1/2 cup chopped pistachios divided (I would omit these)
8 oz ricotta cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut cauliflower into bite-size florets. Place on lg baking sheet and toss with 2 TBS olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 min. Remove cauliflower from oven. Add 1/2 cup of the french fried onions to the cauliflower on the baking sheet and toss. Place remaining onions off to one side of the baking sheet. (these will be used as garnish.) Roast mixture an additional 10 min or until cauliflower reaches desired tenderness and onions are brown and crisp.

In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese with 1 tbs olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.

Set aside 2 TBS each of dried cranberries and pistachios (to be used as garnish.)

In a med bowl, toss warm cauliflower mixture with dried cranberries and pistachios. Spoon ricotta mixture on top and fold gently, leaving large bits of ricotta. Garnish with reserved cranberries, pistachios and crispy onions. Serve immediately.

I would like this, but my family would probably be picking out the cranberries. LOL

Wannabehealthy
12-26-2013, 09:21 AM
The brussels sprouts turned out good. I had an abundance of baby carrots so I added carrots to it and everyone liked that idea, and it looked so pretty in the bowl. I only used a small amount of the bacon fat and used mostly EVOO to coat the veggies. I didn't put the corn in the cornbread because I figured it would all fall out when I crumbled it, and I only used a little more than half of the crumbled cornbread. I just added a little at a time until it "looked" right. Everyone liked it. I did add a small amount of chicken stock for moisture. The recipe is a keeper!

pattygirl63
12-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Just checking in to say I'm leaving 3fc. I've just spent almost 10 minutes just trying to get on this thread to post this message. There are so many pop ups on here that I'm constantly fighting to get rid of them and then DH has to work on my pc to straighten it out so I can use it. I have absolutely no problems like this on any other site that I go to so I have to believe my problems come from 3fc.

I didn't want to just leave without telling y'all why.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. I actually didn't eat as much as I thought I would, but was salty so swelled pretty good today. I am back OP today. So things are going good for me.

If things ever change here with my pc, I'll be back, but it just isn't worth all the hassle.

Love you guys and will miss you loads.

thinin08
12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Just checking in to say I'm leaving 3fc. I've just spent almost 10 minutes just trying to get on this thread to post this message. There are so many pop ups on here that I'm constantly fighting to get rid of them and then DH has to work on my pc to straighten it out so I can use it. I have absolutely no problems like this on any other site that I go to so I have to believe my problems come from 3fc

Pattygirl63 - I have the same problems!

Ruthxxx
12-26-2013, 05:19 PM
What browser are you using? IE? Try switching to Firefox.

thinin08
12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Ruth - Thank you. I will try that.

love2b150
12-28-2013, 10:39 AM
weigh is finally coming back down 178.4 this morning fbs 130

pattygirl63
12-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Decided to try this again. I will tell DH about the Firefox. I do us IE and it is driving me nuts. I thought it was happening mostly here, but I think it is happening some in other places as well now and IE just might be the problem. Thanks Ruthie. I just can't stay away from you guy as we've all been together for so long that y'all are like family. :hug: I would really miss y'all.

I got a coupon/invitation in the mail to re-join WW online for 50% off of the 3 month sign up fee and I decided to take advantage of it. I've been eating fairly healthy except for Christmas day, but just not getting my portions under control. WWPP helps me do that. I am really enjoying it and the best part is that the weight is finally moving in the right direction. I gained during the holidays and weighed 238 on the day after Christmas. I was down to 234.6 this morning so I just might end up with the ticker being right or even moved a little bit by January 1st. I am committed to being a lot thinner as well as healthier by this time next year.

I did get 3 days of exercise this past week doing a mile each day. Will get back to the 2 miles and learning more Tai Chi this week. Not waiting until the New Year to get with it.

thinin08 Welcome!!!

Rennie Glad the scale is moving down for you again.

Carol Sue My new greens that I love cooked with a little coconut oil for flavor is collard greens. Girls at the beauty shop were talking about them yesterday so I bought them frozen. Haven't tried them raw. Buying in bulk isn't good for me because they go bad. My son says I used to cook them and I'm sure I did when I went to WW back in the sixties when we had to eat greens. The difference is that we ate them out of a can. These are frozen and tasted sweet. I don't know if that is because they aren't canned or maybe the touch of coconut oil, but they were really good and makes a nice change to the kale which I will have later for dinner.

I got 2 of those Stone Wave cookers advertised on tv. They are a perfect size for making a hot snack. Today I got hungry before I really want to eat a meal. I took 0 veggies and added a little vegetable broth and water a little Ms. Dash and microwaved and had a soup to eat to hold me until meal time. Basically 0 to 1 pt and I'm satisfied until meal time. BTW, I love those Stone Wave cookers for cooking for just 1. I went back and got 2 more and still may get 2 or 3 more. DH is one of those people who eats his food in stages. Start with salad, then have meat or main course then his veggies one at a time never mixed. This way I can put his in the little cooker, leave in microwave until he is ready to eat it or take to table with lid and it stay hot.

Fatmad and others :wave:

love2b150
12-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Thanks Trish I'm glad you're back :hug: Sounds like you've got it together as usual :) I would like to try weight watchers again it's been a very long time. I also signed onto the Nutrisystem site but it's so expensive. If they'd take installments I would definitely give them a shot. Can't hurt :)

pattygirl63
12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Switched to Firefox and got rid of the pop ups so I'm back here with no problems. Nice. Just have to learn how to use it. Really glad to have this fixed. Thanks Ruthie.

I'm really enjoying the WWPP woe. I'm just going to have to figure out something else to munch on at night besided popcorn. I like it but not all the time. I'll have to figure out some low/0 pts snack foods. I'm really enjoying it. I'm getting plenty of fiber naturally as it has really been sending me to the potty a lot. Also I actually rode my stationary bike for 2.5 miles. So I'm proud of myself for that.

Plan to go out for steak tomorrow, but it is really easy to eat OP when we go out for steak. I just get salad, steak and veggies and always drink lemon water when eating out.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

love2b150
12-31-2013, 06:38 AM
Happy Day :)

on a good note I loss 5.6lbs for the month, fbs has been up and down this holiday season … hoping for some stability in the new year.

Happy New Year to ALL, Blessings :hug:

Ruthxxx
12-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Glad the change worked for you Patty. I should have mentioned the fix sooner.

Saw the dreaded 200 on Christmas morning but the scale is going back down again. Unfortunately I have a doozie of a cold that is making me crave crackers and other comfort foods. I've not had a cold for over a year and this one is major. No New Year's Eve celebration for me tonight.

We are having extremely cold weather at the moment. When it gets to -38, it's the same in C or F!

Hope everyone has a good Eve and that 2014 is a great year for us all.

love2b150
12-31-2013, 06:41 AM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/291039-january-2014-chat.html#post4907487

pattygirl63
12-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Glad the change worked for you Patty. I should have mentioned the fix sooner.

Saw the dreaded 200 on Christmas morning but the scale is going back down again. Unfortunately I have a doozie of a cold that is making me crave crackers and other comfort foods. I've not had a cold for over a year and this one is major. No New Year's Eve celebration for me tonight.

We are having extremely cold weather at the moment. When it gets to -38, it's the same in C or F!

Hope everyone has a good Eve and that 2014 is a great year for us all.

Ruthie I just appreciate you sharing with me about Firefox. I told my son about it and he told me that he uses it and that when he purchased his laptop that the salesman told him IE was only good for getting to another browser. He told me that he never had any of the problems I had. I'm still setting things up on it as I'm having to learn how to do things a little differently but I can't tell how nice it is to type and it type smoothly. It was so jerky and some times would just freeze in the middle of a word or throw up an ad. This sooo much nicer.

Sorry about the cold. I figured y'all were getting a lot of really cold weather since we were getting a lot of bad stuff in northern part of the US. Sorry you can't celebrate NYE with your friends, but hope you will feel better soon and have a Happy New Year.

As for the scale going up over Christmas, it just happens. Mine did the same, but is also coming back down. I looked back over the past years records that I started keeping again in April. As of today, I've only lost 1 1/2 lbs this year. I will change my ticker to fit the NY reading tomorrow, but it looks like it may be higher than the ticker, but I really believe Weight Watchers is going to help me.

Feel better dear friend. :hug:

Wannabehealthy
12-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Wanted to make one more post for 2013. I have had such a bad cold the past week. I start to feel better, then it comes back. The past couple nights I have be awake coughing.

I'm glad Firefox stopped your pop ups, Trish. I have been using it for about a year, but a few months ago I was having a terrible time with ad pop ups and some people on another board told me some things to try to get rid of them, but I don't remember which one worked. It must have been a different type of pop up. I think I had some kind of malware and I had to do something to quarrantine it, and then delete it.

I joined a 1 lb per week challenge for 2014. Like my signature says "If I had started a year ago and lost one lb per week I would be at goal." If I can't lose 1 lb per week I might as well give up.