General Diet Plans and Questions - Intermittent fasting notes

View Full Version : Intermittent fasting notes

tricon7
11-29-2013, 03:24 PM
I came across this in a weight loss-tips article that I thought I'd repost here.

Stop-eating strategies found in books like "The 8-Hour Diet" and "The Fast Diet" might seem more like fads than regimes based on fact, but one 2010 study showed intermittent fasting really is effective at helping people lose weight.

For the study, 16 obese adults were allowed to eat whatever they wanted every other day. On the remaining days they ate only a roughly 500-calorie lunch. Over eight weeks, the participants lost an average of 12.3 pounds. In the end, the success comes down to simple calorie math: subjects only ate about 10 to 15 percent more calories on their "splurge" days than they ate before the diet. Combined with the fasting-day savings, the overall calorie cuts were huge.

Similarly in a 2013 study from Cornell University, when participants skipped breakfast, they ate more at lunch, sure, but their daily caloric intake was still 408 calories lower than when they did eat breakfast.

Do It Right: Following an alternating fast day/feast day program doesn't guarantee you'll get the nutrients you need or support a healthy relationship with food, for that matter but remember that the splurge days can be crucial to keeping you motivated, Blake says. To establish better eating habits and still get your foodie on, try the 80-20 rule: Eat healthy 80 percent of the time and then treat yourself the rest.