100 lb. Club - Getting Out of the 240s

View Full Version : Getting Out of the 240s

pamatga
11-29-2013, 12:09 PM
I can't find the old thread so I am not sure what happened to it so I will start it again. I hope those who were posting in the old 240s thread will find this one.

For those who are new to the "10 lbs. at a time" Club, this is where you post while you are moving through this decade. My understanding is that the only "rule" is that there are no rules so post whatever you feel you wish to share regarding how things are going on your end.

Well, I have been OP (on plan) for four days in a row for starters. I also worked out every day since this past Monday.

This is the first Thanksgiving in any of my memories of not having several of the traditional sides as well as pumpkin pie. I did not buy them nor the ingredients to make any of them. I enjoyed the turkey, pre-measured mashed potatoes and gravy and lots and lots of vegetables. I did 30 minutes cardio while my DH was watching old Andy Griffith reruns. Later, I had popcorn while watching a couple of movies in the evening. I felt empowered the entire day and I did not feel deprived. :woohoo:

I hope everyone had a great day and, if you are shopping today, hope you find some great deals.

Take care, Pam :comp:

pnkrckpixikat
11-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Hey pam! The other one is on page two, but it is close to the max anyways lol

I had a good thanksgiving, went over to my aunt's house and saw lots of extended family from her husbands side. lots of cousins I grew up with. I didn't do as well restricting myself as I had hoped to do but I still did a ton better than I usually do.

pnkrckpixikat
11-30-2013, 01:37 PM
240s peeps! WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?! lol

pamatga
11-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm still here. I just spent a leisurely morning with DH sipping coffee. I checked my page 2 and it was no where to be found on my end so I will post here. Eventually, others will show up.

Well, Thanksgiving is a hard day for a lot of people. I made up my mind that I would just simply not bring some of the stuff I have trouble with into the house at all and that seems to be the best plan for me. I have already been in this "10 lbs." decade longer than I had wanted to anyway. Oh well....I will be here as long as it takes, right? ;)

I have been OP with my food plan since Monday including Thanksgiving and I have also worked out every day as well as Thanksgiving. I worked out while DH watched reruns of Andy Griffith.

I may be alone in posting here but I am here.

Take care, everyone and anyone, Pam :comp:

pamatga
12-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Good morning all!:wave:

I have had 6 days of being on plan with my food plan including Thanksgiving and working out every day as well, alternating between my free weight strength exercises and my chair cardio workouts. Today, I want to end this week with either a yoga or Pilates dvd.

If you are in the 240s then I guess this is the only thread for that. I have checked a couple of times and the "old one" seems to have vanished. I wish the pounds would do the same. :lol:

Well, my challenges for the month of December is to not gain or regain and to lose "something".

Hope all is well on your end, please join if you wish.

pnkrckpixikat
12-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Hey pam! I think the others abandoned us for the holiday weekend lol did ok yesterday, ate more calories than I would like, but I exercised which hopefully balanced some of it out and I was on track with my carbs which is really good

Mara
12-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Morning ladies!

Sorry I was out of town. I posted a link in the previous thread so everyone can find this one.

Sounds like you both did pretty good. I did alright until I got home. I was too tired to cook and needed to do laundry, sweep, etc. and went out to taco bell. It was good, but of course the scale went up. But hopefully it will begin to move back down.

pamatga
12-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Mara, glad to see your familiar and friendly face again. I love the little kitty avatar. "I think I can" too. ;) I hope you had a great holiday with family and friends. I hear you about being so tired from the holidays. I got up early and had my usual java fix :coffee: but I went back to sleep. Even though it is supposed to rain once my DH gets back from a short work day we are going out to do some grocery shopping.

I managed to stay OP with my food plan for one week now. I rejoined another thread here, Beck Diet Solution. I had followed that about 18 months ago and after I had my meltdown awhile back I just knew I had to get back to what worked for me then. I had been stalled since June going up and down 3-5 lbs. I knew a lot of it was things out of my control but the one thing that I was struggling with in my control; how I ate and worked out, I wasn't in control of.

I now feel like after a week of sane eating and working out, my "fat head" is under my thumb.

Welcome to a new month all who wish to join us here in the 240s "decade". I guess, there are no rules except post when you can and share with us how you are doing on your end. If any one has any pointers that are working for them, we all would love to hear them.

pnkrckpixikat
12-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey mara! I'm glad you had a good holiday! That water weight will fall off in no time I'm sure :)

Pam a week OP is awesome!!! keep up the good work :)

I'm doing well right now, I have 2 tests a week from tomorrow so I have a feeling that this weekend and monday is when I will really struggle since anxiety makes me want baked goods lol We are going out of town to do a zombie run on sat so I won't even get much studying in over the weekend. I'm not sure if that will make me more anxious or distract me enough to make me less anxious... i guess we will see lol

wannaskipandlaugh
12-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Hello all!... Well I felt like a liar posting here as I was back into the 250's... and went AWOL... well I have lost some of the water and am back down to 249.6... still have 2 more lbs of water to lose to get back to pre Turkey Day weight, but will do it! BACK on induction and feeling Gooooodddddd...

Mara... Yeppers.. that water weight will flush! It will! I believe in you! :)

Pam - Thank you for keeping the thread going (you too Pixikat) and glad that you too have gotten the mind strightened out for yourself.. But you have done so well staying OP for 6 + days! That is awesome!

Pixikat... Gosh that Zombie run looks like fun... Another poster did one of those last summer and posted pictures.. What a blast! :) It will definitely take your mind off the stress of studying!. But I bet you will do Great on those 2 tests! Just remember tho.. Those baked goods have no Power over you! :)

Have a terrific day all!

Mara
12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Pam awesome job staying on track!

Pixikat the zombie run sounds like lots of fun. Maybe the run will help lessen you aniexty and help you get the most out of your study time.

Sue you will have those 2lbs beat in no time. :)

I am the same as yesterday. Thought it would be less since I had a good day on food choices. Hoped it would flush some of the water. :( But it is now TOM so maybe that is it. Oh well onward we march!

nikitanix
12-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi Mara, and pnkrckpixicat thank you both for the welcomes!! Great to be here!!

Hi pamatga!! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I’ve been thinking about how to minimize the damage with some home cooking and I can see that a lot of fat and calories could be saved with some substitutions that don’t compromise on taste. I’m having my first food ‘n friends gathering this coming Sunday so I’ll let you know how it goes!

I don’t hate my body or try to cover it exactly, and I know how to make the most of my assets but I’m no hourglass figure either. My friends aren’t skinny, and some are probably overweight if I think about it, but when they wear tight dresses they at least go in and out in the right places. I think when I have less ins and outs on my body I’ll be a lot more comfortable to show it off – that’s what I want more than to get down in pounds.

You’re right about the working out, I used to be a real sporty child and then just let it go as I got older and I guess I just kept on eating the same. I’ve found a nice gym in my area where they concentrate on classes as I know I need a more structured routine and a more social aspect so I just signed up to some aerobics and body pump classes and also Pilates so the new me starts tomorrow with all that! Phentermine is meant to give you more energy but I’m not sure it’s working for me that well, although I can tell I have less of an appetite so that’s the main thing. I sure ate a lot less during Thanksgiving and I made sure I was more mindful about my choices – I was able to take a step back when offered more food, think about if I really really wanted it and then I think I was able to make smarter choices.

So, the good news is, I weighed myself yesterday after a week on phentermine and I’m happy to report that I’m down 3 pounds to 241!! I guess it would have been more if not for the holidays but even with that I’m shocked! I really have cut down a lot though, all my family noticed how much less I was eating and they all said how proud they were of me. So I’m pretty much on cloud 9 today!!

Have a great week y’all!!

pamatga
12-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Hello everyone, glad to see all of your "faces"! :grouphug:

Well, unfortunately, I went over on my calories yesterday.:club: We ate lunch out and completely out of character for me I decided to have Mexican. Sometimes, I just don't know what I want when I got out to eat. This was one of those times. It was good but when I went home to look up the amount of calories and sodium in the food, I was very disappointed. Then, without thinking (again) I had popcorn last night. To my credit, I did do my strength free weights workouts while watching "Santa Clause" (the first one of the three Tim Allen movies). I think it stands the test of time. It was cute and funny.

nikitanix: congrats on finding a gym that has what you need. I am not sure what the medicine that you are taking is for but I am assuming that it suppresses your appetite. Was this by prescription? I guess, when I feel hungry :hungry: I have something hot to drink like tea or coffee. Two big cups and that will hold me for several hours. I also fall back on popcorn at night because it is low cal (and low fat) and it takes a long time to eat.

I would mention your concerns to the gym personnel :kickbutt: and see if they can create a workout plan that will help your curves become more visible. I have an hourglass underneath my "apple" shape. I coaxed it out by really doing a lot of core exercises. Also, the right kind of clothing can give the appearance of a more hourglass figure. Good luck! I am sure you will find something so you can feel like you are one of your compadres.:belly:

mara I agree with sodium. It sucks. :frypan: Until I started logging my food and reading labels I never realized how much sodium is in so many "every day" foods like milk, bread, eggs and even margarines/butters. I don't even salt at the table and yet my sodium is a lot higher than I would like. I agree; we just have to keep marchin on.:tread:

sue(wannaskipnlaugh): well, glad to hear that you are back in the 240s. You mentioned Induction? Are you following Atkins or one of those low-carb food plans? How is that going for you?:eating2:

pixiekat: Hope the tests turned out okay for you. I am not familiar with what a zombie run is. Is that like a 5K or is it more like the t.v. programs that feature zombies? :eek:

Have a great day, all Pam :comp:

justaloozer
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi all!!

After briefly (literally one day) joining you all, I am back again! The scale bounced back and forth a couple of weeks between 250-255. Now that Thanksgiving is over I am officially joining this thread. This morning I weighed in at 249.2. Hopefully all of our stay here is short!

I admit I have not been eating as well as I should be. There are so many goodies everywhere! But I need to get back on track.

pnkrckpixikat
12-03-2013, 04:47 PM
sue welcome back!

Mara that is what I am hoping will happen! oh! TOM! boo :( but that means that that 2lbs and possibly more will flush off at the end :)

niki my friend is on them, she says she doesn't FEEL more energetic but she finds herself moving more in terms of fidgeting etc, kind of like being fidgety after drinking caffeine. But congrats with the classes, they sound fun!

Pam I will let you know next Wednesday how the tests went lol the zombie run is a 5k obstacle course where volunteers are dressed up as zombies and try to capture the flags on your belt that represent your life. so if you lose all 3 flags you were "killed" in the zombie apocalypse and if you keep at least one you "survived". I know I will die fairly quickly since I wasn't able to train for months and barely got the doctor to ok my heart and knee for running. I am looking forward to the run but I just found out a cold front is hitting texas so it is going to be a high of 39 degrees on sat :(

justaloozer ignore those treats, you can do it!!!

Mara
12-03-2013, 10:47 PM
We got this ladies. I always find it hard to keep my cravings under control during my TOM, but trying to at least keep up moderation.

wannaskipandlaugh
12-04-2013, 08:51 AM
MARA,. you are so right... We all have the tools and know what we need to do. I hope you all have good numbers today! I have lost all the water weight.. but still have that 1 extra lb gained B-4 Thanksgiving that I need to lose to go forward... Down 2 lbs again last night to 247.6 .... ahhh my old scale is 233 and maybe a scooch lower (Yay!)

Thank you PixiKat for the welcome back :) and we will get a move on down the line!.. yes we will!

Pam.... Yep.. I have been living Atkins since 1/6/13 with a few off days... This way of eating really works for me as I am not a vegetable eater and I can live this way :)

Justa - Welcome Back to you! WooHoo!

Niti - Working out is a hard habit to get back into... eating the right food is almost easier than making your body do a "routine" and work out... Tho we feel sooooo good after we work out tho... good ole endorphins!

I know that I had made a pact with Mara to get to the 230's quickly and am going to do my best to do it! (even manuevering past this months landmines of holidays and parties)... January 1st goal??!!

Mara
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Down to 246.0 today, but not feeling all that great. :( Trying to not to take too many pain killers or eat too many comfort foods.

Way to go Sue!

pamatga
12-04-2013, 01:36 PM
:welcome3: justaloozer. Glad to have you back with us. :cheer: Great job in kicking those 250s to the curb. :woohoo:

pixiekat That zombie run sounds really fun. Although after seeing "Shaun of the Dead" during the Halloween season of "spooky movies" :eek:, I thought zombies sort of stagger :stars:and actually don't run so this is "ironic", right? Cute idea! Have fun!:kickbutt:

mara TOM --oh boy, don't we hate this.:hungry: I had the scare of my life last New Year's Eve when I bled so heavily I spent the majority of the time toasting in the New Year in the bathroom. I am sorry you need pain pills for it too. I used to. Now, I just bleed like a stuck hog.:ink: while I am having hot flashes. :hot:

sue(wannaskip): as a newly discovered pre-diabetic, I hear you on low carbs. I did South Beach back in 2008 and it really isn't as bad as everyone says. However, I got side tracked in 2010 and did a "general" low calorie food plan and now going lower carb seems to be harder this time around and now, I have to because of my blood glucose. So, there is my current struggle. It doesn't help either that our present finances are so tight. :stress:However, I just take it one grocery trip at a time. :carrot::broc:

Sue, I am with you. I thought I would be out of the 240s in October and then I said November and now I am hoping for mid-December. However, I have decided that I am here until I am not here. :lol: Let's make a pact for making the best choices we can each day and build on those daily successes? :kickbutt:;)

I am still at 244.6 after a couple of days of really high sodium and a few extra calories. I credit that to logging my food plan and working out two days in a row. I enjoy exercising, in spite of my RA, and that has really helped me "sweat off the salt". We have our annual Christmas party this coming Friday at church. A sit down dinner and live music. Again, I will try to make the best choices that I can and focus more on the conversation and less on the dessert table. :cofdate:

Hope everyone has a great day, Pam :comp:

pnkrckpixikat
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Mara you can totally do this without comfort foods! I hope you feel better soon

sue my unofficial stretch goal for the month is to make it into the 230s, my goal is more like 5lbs so just shy lol

Pam it sounds super fun, I've never ran it but I have volunteered as a zombie before and that was fun. The weather forecast for austin is currently saying it is gonna be in the 30s and rainy so I'm starting to wonder if I should wimp out. catching the flu the week before finals doesnt sound like the best of ideas :s plus, i HATE the cold

wannaskipandlaugh
12-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Mara... is the pain and bloatiness going away? I hope so...and just think of how much better you are going to feel and how much lighter you will be too! (ohhhhh I remember Tom... somewhat fondly lol)

Pam - I love your posts! You are an inspiration and what you are working thru to accomplish what you need to do is a story of strength, a story to emulate!

Pixikat... I hope you stay warm today... bbbrrrr I saw the weather for the country and its cold out there (Florida is staying warm THANK GOD!) I grew up in the Chicago area and lived thru -30 degrees walking to school.. so I feel for you! and YEP we can get to the 230's or get so darn close that the New Year has that gift waiting for us! :)

NIKI and JUSTA... How are you 2 doing? :) Welll I am thinking! :)

I lost alittle more of the water 247.2 now... so .8 away from all time lowest on this journey... I ate badly at dinner - Coated Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill... oh well.. I had a GREAT time with my beading/jewelry class friends... we talked for 2+ hours and laughed! BACK on the train today! All back to Induction to see 246 or lower tomorrow!

Mara
12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
I don't want to post my weight today. lol I hope it it water weight from bloat and the meds. Thanks for the positive vibes ladies. I am still in some pain, but hopefully it will subside by tomorrow. :)

It looks like you guys are doing great! :D

pnkrckpixikat
12-05-2013, 10:49 AM
sue ugh the cold front!! I think it is here solely to make me miserable :p well shrimp isnt the worst thing you could have had so good job with moderation! lol

Mara unless you went nutso with calories all it COULD be is water weight, it'll flush right off after TOM is over.

I'm still doing well, my last week of classes for the semester so thats exciting. I'm ready to be done for awhile, the fact they make fall break over thanksgiving makes the semester seem never-ending.

pamatga
12-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Good day everyone! :coffee:

Well, I have been watching the weather closely. It looks to me that TX is getting more than just cold rain. Aren't you getting some cold air as well as ice and maybe snow too? I too grew up in the Upper Midwest and MN is the same as Chicago although I think Chicago has more of that wind. The news was saying that the orange crops in SO CA are in danger of freezing. Crazy weather for the entire country this past year. It seems the weather goes from one extreme to the next. I think we are going to get something out of all of this here in northern GA but I am just not sure what. We have plans for this coming weekend so I will have to see how I need to dress when we go out.

I would be more concerned for the slippery roads and sidewalks :tread:, pixie, more than anything. I fell on ice and had knee surgery about 10 days after that. That started arthritis in that knee and now I will need a knee replacement when I can afford it (which I may be waiting "forever" on that one). If you do decide to run, make sure you wear moisture wicking layers or layers period and make sure you dry off once you are indoors. I used to walk in all kinds of weather and you can really lose a lot of body heat quickly in the cold.

Pixie Good luck on finishing up your semester. What are you studying?
:book2:

mara we all in the same boat here so don't feel bad about TOM and how you get through it. :cbg: :chockiss: Do your best and let it go. I am really struggling to figure out why I seem to be choosing foods with so much sodium in them and then how to eliminate them as well. :jeno:It is such a source of frustration for me right now, I could scream. :devil: I think I have come to the "slow" realization that I am going to have to "give up" pizza, hot dogs, possibly tomato sauce as well as Chinese if I am going to see these numbers really take a nose dive. Only :broc: :carrot: for me I guess. ;)

Sue(wannaskip): So, what are you making or learning in your jewelry class? I always wanted to take one of those and possibly (if I ever got good enough at it) to make my own jewelry. I always like jewelry that is unique but sometimes it is both hard to find but also at a reasonable price. Are you making gifts to give away or something special for yourself?

All Thanks for the words of encouragement. I sure need them. I really do.:grouphug:

Sadly, we had to postpone moving because we simply don't have all the extra money to do that. I had to call the leasing agent to let her know of our changed plans and I have been in a bad mood ever since. :tantrum: I don't even feel like putting up a tree this year but that is just nonsense so I am just going to have to suck this one in. As one woman I used to know once said, "Now, it's time to pull up my big girl panties and get on with it." :lol:

There "may" be a silver lining though. Finally, after six months of really stretching that buffalo nickel, work for my DH might be picking up. Since I manage our family finances the pressure for me is to make sure that I make good and wise decisions. No pressure there, of course. It is an agreement DH and I made a few years back: he makes the money, I manage it. It works for us. He hates dealing with all of that, including sometimes making financial arrangements, if needed. However, it is times like this when it doesn't matter whether we have the money for some bills or not, we just have to "find the money". :dunno:

Thanks all for listening. The one thing that I don't want to do though is eat over my $$ woes. So, I give myself credit that I have stuck with working out 8x in the past 10 days and although I have gone over on my calories for the past three days (not to mention sodium), I am still logging every bite that I eat.

I still hope to hit high 230s by mid-December and maybe low 230s by the New Year.

We can do this! Pam :comp:

nikitanix
12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi yíall!!

Yes Pam it does suppress appetite Ė tbh Iím not sure about it either, it was my docís suggestion and I have to hand it to her it does really curb my hunger a lot but itís not something I want to get too used to. Iím keeping in my head to just use it as a tool, maybe switch to something later that doesnít have such a bad rep. My mom always says to have a hot drink if Iím feeling hungry but my trouble is I always always want cookies with a hot drink, so Iím having to stop hot drinks til I can stop these associations. Popcorn could be good though, thatís the air popped kind right?

LOL!! I have an image of you coaxing out your hourglass apple core from beneath your apple shape Ė this is what I need!! Would pilates be good for this?

Sorry to hear about your troubles and about you not being able to move, but you still seem to have such a positive attitude Ė keep it up and like you say, concentrate on making good daily decisions and the results will come Ė good luck!!

Pixikat Ė the energy thing isnít something Iím feeling yet, itís odd as I was told it would be like nervous energy at first but that doesnít even sound all that appealing to me, maybe being more energetic myself will help top up my supplies?!

Hey Sue! Itís early days but I think the working out is working for me Ė loviní those endorphins alright! Also I had a super sweet instructor yesterday and I wasnít even the biggest in the class which amazed me! I did body pump followed by pilates Ė man was body pump intense! Pilates was pretty hard on my middle too Ė I can feel that Iíve exercised everywhere today but the tops of my thighs are the worst! Back in the saddle tomorrow with step!!

pnkrckpixikat
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Pam I live on campus so I don't drive much so I don't have to worry about the roads at the moment (but I'm kinda scared about driving to Austin after the sun goes down :s . And I can get around most of the school without going outside because we have skywalks connecting most of our buildings so between that and a good eye I hope I can avoid slipping! my DH lived up in wisconsin for a winter, he is from the gulf region of tx so he had never seen snow/ice before, well one day he saw a puddle and decided to jump in it... wasn't a puddle! fell on his backside, said it hurt for a week. I told him he was lucky he didnt break his tailbone lol.... anyways, I am a junior in they Psychology department. I hope to graduate next fall or perhaps spring '15, then I am planning on a masters in marketing.

Boo to not being able to move! but it is good you dh's work is picking up :)

niki i'm kinda jealous your doctor suggested it, I asked my doctor about it, not even asking for a prescription just for information so I could decide if i wanted to try it and she straight up gave me this snappy "I don't prescribe weight loss pills" in a sort of condescending voice. it kinda pissed me off because I had actually read about it and talked to people about it and she just shut me down without anything. then last time i was there she was trying to push WLS on me not 3 minutes after I told her I will never get WLS because I am not willing to live with the restrictions after. I lost from 320 to 202 without surgery, I can do it again and go further. Idk it just got to me lol anyways, congrats on the exercise!! sounds like you are doing great! just keep in mind when you start exercising the muscles will hold a ton of water so you may see some bouncing on the scale.

wannaskipandlaugh
12-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Pam... Oh the jewelry classes were good (Took them at the local adult education classes at high school 7 years ago and our group and our teacher became friends and meet and show each other how to do things) It is so fun. There are so many ways to make jewelry... if you have a local Bead/craft store.. they might have classes... You can bread (Kumihimo) threads, Wire Work, Just string beads on Elastic cording, tie and glue, Use fishing wire (Fireline) and string seed beads in a pattern, do a wrap loop on a stone/charm/bead etc and attach it to a chain type necklace/bracelet with a jump ring, and Chain Maille which is attaching numerous jump rings in a pattern... I am learning how to do the Soutche now.. which is sewing beads in between different colored cording to make shaps... It is an amazing craft! :) and I have too many finished projects ! lol someday (oh I hate that word) I will sell them on Etsy or something!

Pixikat.. What a great major! and good for you!.. You are going to be in a field to help people!.. but YEP be careful of the ice (Ouch for your DH!) I grew up in Northern Illinois and lived 28 years in the cold/snow and ice! I remember hitting the deck many times and of course the car sliding sideways... I hope you do not come across any surprise ice walking to classes! nor driving in the dark!

Oh I am happy - just .2 away from my all time low on this final journey! 246.8.... I so want the 230's and should be there January (my goal from last January 2013 was to be 201 at 1/1/14 not going to make it.. but I am SOOOOOO much closer than this time last year!)

Mara
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Morning! Today was a much better weigh in than yesterday, 248.2 vs. 245.6. Not my lowest but better. :) I feel better too.

Pam I am glad your DH work is picking up. Relieve some stress off of you both.

Pixicat I would be mad if my doctor would not even dicuss options with me. I understand if she personally discourages it, but she should at least provide you with the reasons so you can evaluate them.

Sue the class sounds fun. And watch you move that scale. :)

Niki I have never done the bodypump class, but I have done the body flow and loved it! Some people said it took them 2 to 3 classes before they felt the same, but I enjoyed it from the start. Alas, I don't have access to the classes anymore, but maybe I will save up for a gym membership. :)

pamatga
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Good day everyone:coffee:

Niki I don't know much about prescription medication to lose weight since I don't have health insurance at the moment (although it may change in 2014). I do know that Dr. Oz did "approve" of one of those but I am not sure which brand it was. I guess, if you use it along with eating a sensible and well-balanced food plan as well as exercise then I too would consider it a WL "tool".

I am not an expert but my experience not only in losing the weight that I have as well as keeping that same weight off (give or take a couple of pounds) is that I have had to become a different person than I once was. This did not happen overnight but it has been happening.

Although I didn't meet my weight loss goals for this past year a lot of behind the scenes stuff has been happening that has really made a huge difference and which I do think will make 2014 a lot different as well. Although I "only" lost 20+ lbs since January of this year, I finally got a "handle" on a lot of other things that were contributing to staying at that previous weight of 266.6 lbs. I was that weight for about 18 months or longer. I have been at this present weight about 6 months so that in itself is progress for me.

The major change that happened over this past year is that I have more confidence in myself overall. I also worked on some of the underlying causes of my perpetual overeating. For example, I joined a "sleep challenge" on another site in the summer. I have been plagued with insomnia and take sleep meds for that for 13 years. Well, that sleep challenge taught me how to deal with some of the underlying causes of my insomnia and now I both sleep better and I awaken more rested. This also helped stop me having late night snacks (which became almost automatic) so that freed up about 400-500 calories every day.

Then, I realized that the best food plan for me is a "controlled" carbs (vs a low carb like Atkins or South Beach) food plan with a strong emphasis on both fats and proteins. When I eat around 200 grams of carbs (which might be a lot for some people but not me since I have a fast metabolism) I have almost no issues with that gnawing hunger that can really derail the best diet.

I actually even did an "experiment" to see if this was the reason why I wasn't hungry by having a day of higher carbs vs more "controlled" carbs and I was right every time. Protein is a great "natural" appetite suppressant and the only thing you have to be concerned with is drinking more non-caloric liquids because of the potential of kidney problems. No problem for me since I have a glass of something near me at all times.

I do have a bag of 94% fat free microwave popcorn almost every night when I sit down to watch t.v. A full bag has 54 grams of carbs and I can munch on that for 2 hours at least.

Good job on keeping up with your workouts. I do feel that exercise is a great way to both improve a person's mood as well as stoke those fires in burning up extra calories.

Pixiekat A Major High Five :bravo:for losing so much weight before. I haven't seen 202 since the summer of 1983 so I am :p green with envy on that one. I too have chosen to not have WLS. I am neither for nor against it. At the time that I did have health insurance I would not have been a good candidate psychologically because I had an eating disorder. I did work on that in the past so now all that remains is learning how to live and eat like a thin person. I credit the Beck Diet Solution (we have a thread here on 3FC) for helping teach me new life skills to do that.

This may be premature to say this but now that I am actively using my Beck Diet Skills I do think the last 100 lbs will be easier to take off than the previously 60 lbs.

Sue(wannaskip): Now, I really want to take some jewelry classes. That sounds like something I would really enjoy doing. I will definitely look into that and see what they have around here for classes.

I too did not meet my weight loss goals this past year but I too still feel like I came out a winner. I lost and kept off 20 lbs., I broke the cycle of late night noshing, I sleep more consistently, I have addressed my chronic pain from RA with better pain management (including some great physical therapy exercises for my joints which I have done faithfully since March) and I think I have finally gotten a more realistic view on both how long this will take and what I am willing to do to achieve it. So, great job on what you have done as well! :hat:

Mara: Glad you are feeling better and the scales is to your liking. Would someone clue me in on what the body pump and the body flow classes are like?

I have done Pilates for about 8 months and it does make a huge difference through your torso. "Apple be gone!" :belly: It is something that if you do one inch better than the last time, you are making progress. You do have to be patient to see results but I can now follow an instructor who is 35 years younger than me and keep up with her. :dancer: :lol:

Tonight my DH and I are going to our church's Christmas party. It is a buffet style dinner along with live music. My DH has sworn he is wearing ear plugs. "a sign of getting older I think" ;) I am wearing a black sequined tank top with black crepe pants (it is supposed to rain) along with a black crepe jacket. None of this fit me last year so I am very excited about wearing that. It made all of it worth it this past year.:exercise:

Well, take care all and stay warm Pam :comp:

justaloozer
12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi ladies! Thanks for the welcome back!! :)

Mara TOM just left for me too. I am hoping within the next few days some extra lbs will come off. I weighed in at 248.8.

I am having a difficult time managing to exercise. I just started working a retail job (after being a SAHM) and my hours are super early in the morning. By them time I get out (around noon) I am so beat. But I still have to take care of everything that I normally do (cooking, cleaning, caring for the kids).

I am going to set a goal of aiming for the 230s by Jan. Not sure if the 1st is doable, but I sure can try!

smileygirlmel
12-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Hey everyone! I haven't posted on the 240's thread for a while because I actually stopped weighing myself daily. The scale was just way too unreliable for me as it was not always representative of all the hard work I have been doing!

But, cravings have been kicking in and I think I need to start posting again for the accountability. Last time I was at my doctor's office they weighed me and I came in right around 240 (and that was fully clothed with boots on) so I am thinking this thread is where I belong. The scale definitely hasn't been moving as fast as I would like it to, but you know what? I am staying on plan (low carb, less than 20g a day) and I feel really good about that.

Good luck everyone! Stay strong, even with the holidays coming up!

wannaskipandlaugh
12-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Smiley!... Welcome back... but it sounds like you won't be in this thread long! :) We'll help you on your way with encouragement!

MARA I am so happy for you!.. You have lost that darn water and are so close to the lowest again! Hooray! Remember.. we are racing to the 230's! :)

Justa...You are doing great! and January for the 230's sounds just awesome! Saying it outloud - it sounds like a nice low number! :)

Pam.. Oh I am so glad your DH work has increased! Oh that is just wonderful and what a nice present for alittle less stress this Christmas time as it comes to money. I know how well you did budgeting... and look it has worked out! Making Jewelry is inexpensive too... Great presents!... Ask the local craft store. A friend of mine is buying just a few beads (big and small and maybe a charm) and chain and making cell phone and purse tags... (need lobster claw to hook onto the time) :)

Also I am so glad you found your perfect match (Beck) for your mind and soul! It is so wonderful to find something that we click with and can live with - without feeling that we are missing out on something and our soul stays happy! (me - atkins)

Pam I am also very glad that your RA pain has deminished! Oh so glad for you!. Just think if you had not lost those 20 lbs and how much more pain you would be feeling! Don't even want to think about it!

Pixikat - You are doing so well this restart!... Be careful in the cold and ice (and snow tho!) Winter injuries are not fun (especially falling on tail bones silly DH) I am so glad to be sharing this journey with you!

Niki... I am thrilled that you are doing well!. I would love to hear about those exercises as I have not heard of them. I am a walker and do the Strength elastic cords for the arms and back.

I had a marvelous start to my day.... I am at my lowest ever on this journey 245.6 this morning... (Old scale - 231.5 oh lovely) and want to skip (almost can without my arse hitting the ground) around the place! I am almost 1/2 almost!!! 5.6 lbs more.. I have a party to go to tonight and need to find some clothes that are not so baggy in my closet.. I hope I can find something from the early 90's that hasn't fallen apart... oh that would be a sight! LOL

Enjoy your day lovely ladies!

wannaskipandlaugh
12-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I am grinning... I am down to 245.2 and also saw 244.8.. but 245.2 came up 2 times! so Tomorrow should be good too!... I feel lighter.. and will be able to climb that ladder and not be out of breath (putting those gosh darn Icicle lights up )

I hope you all have a safe, warm and Happy Sunday!

pamatga
12-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Good day everyone :coffee:

Sue(wannaskip): thanks for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate them. DH and I went to our church's Christmas party Friday night. It turned out so well for me in so many different ways that I was almost floating on the way home. First of all, since I have been up and down the scale over the past 20 years I have hung onto many items of clothing with the hope that someday I would wear them not to mention at one time I spent quite a lot of money on clothes and I just can't bear the thought of getting rid of them because they were 1-2 sizes smaller than what I am. Also, I am a bargain hunter and quite often I have bought things 80-90% off with the idea that maybe some day I could wear them. All of that careful shopping paid off! I wore a black sequined tank top with black crepe dress pants and silver glitter low pumps. I had a semi sheer black shawl to cover my shoulders since it was 70s but lightly raining. The shoes were new but I had bought the top and pants really discounted and I was just waiting to get into them. In fact, I have found buying something one size smaller is a great incentive to keep working on losing weight. You know you are "just that close" so why not push just a little bit harder.

Then, I made sure that I followed my food plan while we ate. I got 1 TB of each food item. I had two bites of a chocolate cheesecake. I had 3 tall glasses of ice water. I actually came home feeling hungry but I was amazed that I handled the food situation so well. The live band was fantastic and everyone danced. Although I can't dance like I used to the highlight of the evening for me was slow dancing with my DH to a great cover of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan. I truly felt like Cinderella at the ball with her Prince Charming. A very memorable night for me. One that I haven't had in a very long time.

justaloozer First of all congratulations on losing the 65 lbs. thus far. I think we both were close in our top weight and if you are anything like me, you are so glad that you aren't back there. I like your goal of 230s by January 1st and I will join you in that "quest". We have 3 1/2 weeks left of December so I think that is actually doable for all of us here in this 240s thread so I am "challenging" anyone in the 240s to join us.

Having said that, do you have an idea of what you will do specifically to make that happen? I am going to start tomorrow really working harder on my sodium levels as well as keeping my carbs a lot lower since that seems to creep up for me. I have worked out steadily for the past two weeks so I will just continue to do that. Since I have already two holiday meals that I didn't go nuts over under my belt, I am going to aim for a "sane" Christmas and New Year's meal(s). I am not going to bake this year at all and I am not buying a lot of sweets to have around the house to munch on. As for sodium levels, I am taking a moratorium on eating pizza, hot dogs, Chinese and fast foods until I can see my sodium levels at a better rate. These foods have sort of crept back into my food plan and I honestly think they are stalling my weight loss. We'll see if I am right on that.

As for exercising, how much walking do you do with your retail job? Wearing a pedometer (you can get them as cheap as $5 at Wal-mart) can show you that you are actually moving more than you think. Also, if you are getting overly tired, maybe, stepping up on your vitamins will help boost your energy level. I swear by supplements including a protein smoothie or shake.

:welcome2: smileygirlmel Glad to see you back here again. I think weighing daily is an individual thing and like you have noticed so many things affect it from day to day so it is only one piece of information in our weight loss journeys.

Sue(wannaskip): I think many of us are at the half way point in the 240s. I too have two scales with one having a much lower reading. I just wish it were accurate. :lol: I don't know about you but I really want to give an extra push to bust out of the 240s. I am just plain ready to move on. Let's see if we all can have a "sane" Christmas this year so that we have the 230s to celebrate the New Year about. :hat:

Mara: just wanted to say Hi and hope all is well on your end.

Take care all, Pam :comp:

pnkrckpixikat
12-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey everyone! sorry I haven't written for a few days, I was out of town for that run. It was 27 degrees and I still made myself do it, I am SUPER proud of myself! :carrot::carrot::carrot: I skipped some of the obstacles cause I was scared of hurting myself or couldn't jump high enough (hay bales) so I had to go around. I DID, however, do the huge rope V-wall. it was a rope net over a huge metal fram that you climb up, throw your leg over, and climb down. I was scared I would freeze up at the top but I made it. It was not a whole 5k though, once they removed the water obstacles because of the weather it was 2.35 miles. oh well!

Food wise, I did okayish. I tried to make low carb choices but I honestly have NO IDEA how I did because cooks are sneaky with sugar and whatnot! lol I did give in and have 6 bites of my friends pumpkin pancakes and 3 crab rangoons and a fortune cookie when we ordered chinese. But really, thats pretty freaking amazing considering the food I would have eaten in the past so I call it a win.

pam it sounds like you did AMAZING at the party!!! congrats!

sue sounds like you had a preview this morning of what is to come tomorrow or the next day

wannaskipandlaugh
12-09-2013, 09:00 AM
PAM what an NSV to have bought that outfit ahead of time and WAAA LAAAA it fits and you look GORGEOUS!... That dinner sounds like a magical evening.. the kind to remember for the perfect times in our lives :) Cool!

PixiKat.. It is sooooo good to see you. I have missed your posts these last few days!. I am glad you had fun!... I wish I could "run"... but never really could and my butt STILL drags on the ground when I even try a few steps. They are having a color run here in a few months and I would love to do it.. Maybe I could "walk fast" instead LOL

Happy Monday all!.. I am up BOO a tick 245.6.. but understandable as I ate salty salty food (bacon and Ham)... tho under 1200 calories.. and worked out with the ladder and walking.. so it will go away! Got lower numbers in my mind's eye for Christmas (2 weeks and 2 days til Christmas eve!) YIKES!

Mara
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Morning guys! I am hanging in at 245.6 (Sue we are tied up. lol)

Pixicat I am in awe that you did the run in the cold and did the wall. I think I would have been too scared to try.

Pam I am doing much better. Your outfit sounded amazing. And great job handling the food. :)

Welcome back Smiley!

pnkrckpixikat
12-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Good morning!!!

Sue I don't run much of the runs lol I can only run about a minute at a time before I can't breathe. You should totally sign up for the color run, the one I did was super fun and they don't time it so you can run it or walk it or do a mixture of both.

mara I am sure if you set your mind to it you could TOTALLY do it!

I had a nice surprise this morning, I expected to be up after my weekend trip, but I was actually .5 down :) woot!

pamatga
12-09-2013, 01:38 PM
:santa: Something tells me the next couple of weeks are just plain going to fly.....:angel:

In order to save some money, we are going to fall back on our old but reliable artificial tree. I actually prefer it because I am the one who vacuums and vacuuming pine needles in July or having the bigger ones plug up the hose is no picnic either. :nono: So, I spent this morning rearranging the furniture in the living room so it will accommodate the tree. :xcheer: I hope this "counts" as cardio because I sure was sweating.:coffee: Could be the coffee too? :D

:bravo: pixiekat on finishing your zombie:yikes: run in spite of :brr: the cold. I would definitely not be able to scale walls since my weakest part of my body has always been my upper body so a major High Five for accomplishing that! A Double Dip of WTG for making good food choices in one of the hardest places to do so: Chinese restaurants. I love :love:crab rangoons....

Sue(wannaskip): Well, I am up a tad myself and, yes, it is the sodium :devil:. I am chugging lots of H20 as well as decaf coffee today and I hope that will help move things along...;)

mara and sue: let's see what we can report by Thursday and see who is the first one to change their ticker, okay? :goodluck: I haven't changed mine since mid-last week and I would really like to see it go down 2 lbs.

pixiekat WTG on the .5 lbs down. Your "swollen" muscles might release some more water in the next couple of days....:crossed:

Well, I am going to spend this rainy and very cold dreary day putting up our Christmas tree. :tree: I just wanted to stop in and say "Hi". :coffee2:

nikitanix
12-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey pixikat! Yeah, now I’m glad that my doctor prescribed it, I think a lot of people on it use it for the right reasons but then there are those who expect it to do the work for them – I’m on a phentermine forum and you can tell who’s who in that sense. So strange that she shot you down for that but is all for WLS – I’d be scared of all the possibilities of complications and like you say, if you can get down on your own you know it’s within you – well done for how far you’ve come!

Hey Smiley!! Welcome for your (I imagine) brief stay!

Well done to you Sue, glad to hear you’re smiling!

Hey Pam! That's great that you're measuring success by clothes you can get into now that you couldn't before, I love clothes and fashion so I can't wait to be able to enjoy it more and have more choice.

I like Pilates a lot, my instructor is a man - he’s super nice but he does everything with such ease, it’s like he’s teasing us!!

Body pump class was great, very energetic and the instructor for that was very motivating. She was tiny but had good muscles and again, made everything look real easy – grrrr!!!

I weighed today at 239 so that’s another 2 pounds down. I’m gonna stay in this thread a week more as I feel like I just got here and I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if I lose again then I’ll be on my way down I guess.

Mara
12-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Pam I forgot you asked, but Body pump and Body Flow are two of the classes designed by Les Mills. Body Flow is a combination of Tai Chi, Yoga, and Pilates.

It not only relaxed me, but was a good way to burn a few calories. The thought is that the other classes help burn calories and build muscles, but body flow helped you increase your flexibility, stamia, and helped to lengthen/stretch muscles.

Mara
12-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Morning Guys!

Thanks pixicat. Like FDR said the only thing to fear is fear itself. Should not let that hold us back. :)

Niki way to go! About to leave us already. ;)

I was very happy to see the scale say 244.8 this morning. :D Finally back to my ticker weight.

Sue I bet the sore muscle water retention took some extra with it.

nikitanix
12-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey Mara! Body flow sounds good, I would like to try that!

Congrats on getting to your ticker weight!

How do y'all get them by the way? I have one on another forum but I can't seem to add it to this one!

pnkrckpixikat
12-10-2013, 09:14 PM
niki you can add it to your signature but you have to have 20 posts and be a member for 20 days first.

mara yay for ticker weight!

So i have been doing ok, but I did succumb to my stress-induced bakery craving, I had 3 sugar cookies last night :( not too horrible but it screwed up my low carb thing and made me feel soooo crappy. I am hoping that the memory of crappiness helps me not do it again.

wannaskipandlaugh
12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Well SHOOT and GRRR... No ticker changes yet.... GO EVERYONE!! I am rooting for you!.. I am now doing 3 mile walks at night with a friend that is trying to lose 50 lbs by June first as a wealthy friend of his promised to BankRoll a concert tour for him if he does lose. So he is pumped and its nice that he has a goal to work for (Tho I do hope he learns it is for himself too!).. But he is the last good friend I have and I am so happy to spend time with him walking and getting healthier and lighter together! (He has been very depressed) The walking "extra" will help me too.. as it will burn more calories and hopefully GET ME OUTTA THE 240's!! LOLOLOL. I am at 245.4 this morning BOOOOOOOOO but that is okay... a whoosh will happen in 2 weeks.. but geee.. I would like to have at least 1 or 2 lbs off by Christmas! Please SANTA???!!!!! LOL

Niki.. oh you are so close to getting to the next Thread! WWEEE Keep the door open for us when you get there! :)

Mara.. I am so glad you are back down :) YAY!

Pixikat... Those darn cookies are just a response to stress and your little voice urge from times past. Cravings like that will subside over time (you know that already).. Its just hard when you are stressed studying for finals and trying to change your life at the same time! You are still a GREAT roll model!! :)

Smiley. Hope you are hanging in there and getting close to exiting and going to the lower thread too!

PAM.. I hope your tree is JUST GORGEOUS!... I too have had an artificial tree for years... but.... I burn a tree smelling candle alot and I grab some branch cuttings from the tree stands (free) and intersperce them in the tree and lay them around the bottom... you do get the REAL smell that way too!

HUGS to ALL! and Happy HUMP DAY!... Closer to Friday!! WOOHOOOO

Mara
12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Well shoot. I had too much sodium yesterday I think. I am up a little 245.2. But that will hopefully be gone tomorrow and then some. lol

Niki there is a sticky thread somewhere about the tickers, but if I remember you have to wait so many days and have so many posts before the ticker option becomes available.

Pixicat I'm sorry you are having such a stressful time.

Sue I need to get walking again. The cold just makes it so hard to get going. Hopefully we will all be moving soon. :)

pamatga
12-11-2013, 11:39 AM

I was watching the national news last night and of the 48 continental states in the U.S., 42 have snow cover and 6 do not, with GA and FL being two of them! Well, we may not have snow cover but the temperatures dropped from a chilly high 60s on Friday and dropped 20 degrees everyday since then. Right now, it is the upper 30s and that is very cold for this time of year here. :brr:

I did get the tree up but we want to add some more lights. We priced them and they have really gone up but we found some cheaper ones at Big Lots so we are going to get one string. This tree has ones strung throughout the branches but we feel they were kind of "skimpy". I have had this tree for 10 years and although we prefer live (yes, the smell) but not this year. I have these icicles that are green that are pine-smelling. I bought them about 5 years ago and they give off a pine scent as well. It is very convincing.

Well, I am afraid my weight is all over the map. I too had some cookies on Sunday and then pizza on Monday so my "good work" from before got undone. I can't say why. I have no good reason. I have decided though that until a much further date (maybe months for all I know) I am not going to have pizza or hot dogs. Both are relatively cheap and quick to fix when we are busy (as we have been in the past couple of days) but then all of my hard work from before gets unraveled and that's 'no good'.:(

I hate to say this but I have been stuck way too long in the 240s (since June) and I just plain have to quit allowing things interfere with the good progress that I was seeing last spring. I managed to work out yesterday but I am finding that this really cold weather makes me restless and yet I hate going out in it. Since we are moving in 2014 (just don't know when), I gave our notice to our community garden that we won't be renewing. We have until Friday to clean it up and turn it over. I have snow peas and brussel sprouts that I will "harvest".

I am sad about that because we have been a part of this for three year-round seasons and I have learned so much from the workshops they have as well as the community spirit but we are moving to another county and so we would no longer qualify. I am especially proud that our extras goes to our local food pantry as well. Not many food banks can boast of having organic fresh produce to give to those people they serve. I put up my gardening tools yesterday and swept up our porch for winter. I have a little bird who loves to sit atop a grapevine star wreath I have on my baker's rack. I felt like my little friend was watching me sweep.

At this point, I am just praying that I will break 240s for the New Year's. This month is just plain going so fast. Nikitanix, a Major Congrats :woohoo: for making 239 lbs. As much as I would hate to see you go, I still want you to join the 230s thread when you are ready to go.:wave: That is what progress is all about....when you feel ready to fly the coop, fly.:angel: As for setting up a ticker. On the upper left side on the 3FC forum page (where it gives a directory of all of the different threads to read or join) there is a tab "User CP". Click on that then Click on the tab that says Edit Signature. That page will bring up a "how to" on creating a ticker. You can also go directly to the website www.tickerfactory.com and their coding is compatible with 3FCs. Once you have created it then you C/P it to fit in your signature blank page. You can add as many as you want. Good luck!

mara: That body flow class sounds right up my alley. I do all three but separately. I have a lot of dvds that I have gotten over the years. Sometimes, I wonder if I have too many choices to choose from but yoga is recommended for arthritis and, yes, it does make a difference. The stretches involved in both Pilates and yoga lengthen the muscles that support the joints. I also follow a regimen devised by a physical therapist and I have been doing that faithfully since March and what a difference it makes. Keep with the Pilates. It will come. I promise you. I can do things that I never thought I would ever be able to do.

pixiekat: I had one of my favorite "store bought" cookies: chocolate fudge mint wafers. The whole package has 15 cookies and I think it equals 1500 calories alone but I have never tasted any cookie that is as good. I have them about once every two or three months. At least, this time I ate them slowly so I could enjoy every bite. I have decided that I am going to buy one package for Christmas this year and that is it for baked goods for me. I love mixed nuts too so that might be my one other "indulgence".

sue: Good Luck on the walking with your friend. Sometimes, we do need some kind of incentive to keep us going. That is really nice of you to offer your support and you will get in shape to boot. It is a Win-Win situation!

Well, I'd better get busy on getting ready to go grocery shopping. I have a list of things that we are out of and things that I think we can afford to get. Anyone else do this kind of shopping? Oh, well, at least, we can get some of the things on my list. At least, we haven't resorted to using corn cobs yet! ;):rofl: Now, that is the kind of problems I want to avoid.

nikitanix
12-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks pixikat, Pam and Mara for tips with the ticker, I’m not quite at 20 days yet so I have to have a little patience but when I make it I can use your helpful advice, thank you so much!

Hey Sue, that’s great you have a walking buddy, the extra exercise and the time you’ll spend with him will be a real help for both of you and it sounds like fun too. I certainly will keep the door open in the next thread, you’ll all be there soon enough!! I’m counting on it!

Pam, that’s real sad about you leaving your garden and little birdy behind, what will your new place be like? I will miss your nice long posts with lots of colorful characters when I go, and yours too Sue! I kind of feel it’s very soon to be leaving this thread, I think my losses will slow though and I’ll be knocking around the 230s for a while. Well, I don’t want to lose weight too quickly so I may play around with my calorie allowance. The appetite suppressing effects have lessened a lot since the start and I find myself hungry a lot more than the first days so I don’t know if 1200 is enough, or if I should eat more fiber and protein as I’ve heard they’re filling. I’m drinking a lot more water now but it does make me a little cold so I think I’ll try out some mandarin green tea I saw at the store the other day as that doesn’t sound like it goes too well with cookies…I hope!!

Mara
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Morning!

Pam I am sorry about your garden and your bird friend too. :(

Niki I think playing around with your calorie goal is a good idea. Everyone is different. I am not expert, but from reading things here on 3FC everyone says don't start off too low because then you will have no where to go as you loose weight and need to drop your calorie intake.

I am back down today, 244.0. :) Hoping to see 243ish tomorrow. Ready for the next decade!!!

pamatga
12-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Good sunny day :sunny:everyone!:coffee:

This is the first really bright and sunny day we have had in almost an entire week but from what I hear it is not going to last long. This coming weekend, when I want to attend a Christmas concert about 25 miles from here, it is both supposed to be cold again as well raining the entire weekend.:rain: I am so bummed. :(. It is so hard to get in and out of cars, buildings, etc. when it is pouring down. :tantrum: without getting wet and/or stepping into a puddle. I got sick last year in this same kind of weather and I was sick for the entire month of December and part of January. That sucked:mad:

Niki: Don't hang around here on account of me. :coffee2: You deserve to move on and be where you can get some good vibes :goodvibes and support in the next leg of your weight loss journey :goodscale:

I can only blame myself for not being there soon myself. :nono::rollpin: However, I have cleared the deck of some of the "offenders" that I know that I "should have" removed from my food plan long before now but didn't. I am still holding out hope that I will break 240s by New Year's Eve. My strategy includes no holiday baking this year, no summer sausages (which I so love) and just having a simple meal and "maybe" one glass of champagne for New Year's Eve :xcheer: So, you may not see me "over yonder" this month but, if I have anything to do with it (which I hope that I do), I will be starting out 2014 in the 230s! :newyear:

I also agree with mara that it probably is not the wisest choice to start out so low since you really have no where to go from there. I used to belong to another paid site three years ago and I was given a food plan including a calorie range that was between 1800-2100 calories per day until I lost 25 lbs then it went down to 1500-1800 calories per day. Then, I belonged to another free site for six months this past year and I joined a "Diabetes Weight Loss" challenge run by their site team. Their approach was similar but they also took into account my activity level so I actually have three different calorie ranges depending on what kind of activity that I do that day: 1530-1880 cals. on non-aerobic days, 1781-2031 cals. on days I do my strength work outs with free weights, 2032-2382 cals for days I do 30 minutes of cardio (more calories if I extend that to 60 minutes).

I realize that sounds shocking to a lot of people who routinely are on a "semi-starvation" diet but this is based on metabolic physiology and it was created by registered dieticians. It allows me to lose 2 lbs a week. As I have been told, the more I work out, the more I can eat. Not that I necessarily want to but it does mean that my extra calories are fueling my workouts. They are not laying dormant on my body and turning back to fat. However, I must emphasize it is based on working out at least 4-5x a week with cardio being especially "key" in losing weight. If I decide to not work out then I need to follow the lower calories or I will stay the same.

As I said, it has been a crazy and stressful past 7 1/2 months. I have struggled to make sure that we can afford to eat healthy in spite of some tough financial choices that I have had to make. If I want to continue to lose weight, working out is absolutely paramount. I can not fudge on this as when I was heavier when just less calories was enough to see the numbers on the scales go down. I suspect that as I get closer to my end goal weight, it will actually be "harder" because you have to run a much tighter ship than when you can stop eating junk food and that will be enough.

I have been sloppy in the past couple of months or I would have been in the 230s by now. I accept my own part in that. I also am determined to get back to the level of fitness and sticking to my food plan that I was doing last spring when I really was seeing those numbers go down every week.

mara Glad to hear that things are going down for you as well. Keep up the good work, GF. You can do this too!:goodluck:

Well, we had a very busy day yesterday doing a lot of running around in heavy traffic. I hope to get cracking on some things around here later this afternoon. I just took my NSAIDS so I can make myself "sore" all over again. :D :lol:

Take care Pam :comp:

pnkrckpixikat
12-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey guys!!! Today I have been very productive. Fall cleaning so to speak. About mid-semester I get bogged down with school and cleaning goes mostly out the window. So since I am out of class and had the day off work I have been cleaning the apartment, putting up a canvas print I ordered, and hanging a shelving unit. Hopefully I am burning a fair amount of calories while I go.

Mara
12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Morning! I got to work and we had no power. :(

On a good note I was 242.8 this morning! I hope it is not a trick and continues to go down. :D

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

pamatga
12-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Good day all :coffee:

Mara great job on getting those numbers to go down. Not much farther to go for you! :woohoo:

Pixiekat: I too have been doing a lot more cleaning and rearranging of furniture these past few days. I have had to up my NSAIDS because "all of me" hurt :lol: but again it feels so good to clear the path for "Santa".:hohoho:

Of all of us, I may be the "last one standing" here in this thread and since it seems like it is not a 10 lbs. decade that is heavily populated, I may be posting to myself for myself. :?: Well, I accept full responsibility for my inability to stay on track. It is not so much overeating as making poor food choices that either stall my weight or cause me to regain because of the high sodium. I have since decided to cease eating those "offenders" and now I am working on getting things back to where they were "not that long ago". So, I changed my ticker again this morning. I hated to because I have been changing it more backwards than forwards and I know that is a "red flag" for me.

On a more positive note, I have had a couple of really good days with my food plan so I will keep doing what I know works and look forward to the future. I will see you all in the 230s thread in January. I just don't know when in January. :snow4:

Take care Pam :comp:

pamatga
12-14-2013, 12:25 PM
I guess, I am either the first to post today or everyone is out shopping. I just wanted to say that I had a couple of really good days and I quickly changed my ticker down. :D

Late yesterday I turned over my garden plot to the next "tenant". I left my strawberry plants. They were nearly buried by the falling leaves so I covered them up so they will be ready for late spring in 2014 as a 'surprise' for the next person who toils my soil. I had also added 10 lbs of organic soil and mixed in some organic nitrogen meal so the soil is ready to grow some great veggies.:carrot::broc:

I journaled awhile yesterday and then shared it with my DH about why I think that I am stuck. It dawned on me that for the longest time (about 10 years between 1983-1993 I was this weight) and then my weight started to climb up in the late 1990s to 260s with my highest weight being just over 300 lbs in 2009. I have been obese for so long that, quite honestly, I don't know of anything else but once I got to this weight range, it was the one that I felt the most comfortable in. Plus, I was so thrilled to get down to the 240s again after 30 years of being "somewhere else", that I think I "forgot" I can set my sights even higher (or lower in the case of weight loss). I don't have to "settle" for this interim weight, no matter how comfortable it feels.

I started this past year wanting to lose weight but deep down inside I didn't believe that I could. I felt that other people could but not me. Then, when I started to lose weight again, I couldn't believe that it was happening. Well, I am at the same place again where it is hard to believe that I can make this happen and continue to lose weight and break the 240s, for starters, but even move beyond that.

However, I have a food plan that works. I like to work out even with my physical limitations. Both combined together are a winning combination. I have seen what kind of results I can get when I work both consistently. Now, I just need to do the "footwork" and let my body respond to my efforts.

Think. Believe. Act.

peachesandcream
12-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Hey Everyone,

I know it's been several weeks since I've been on. Time flies by. I kept working hard at loosing weight, even when Thanksgiving hit. I've cut back on going to the gym a bit because of the limited hours as winter break approaches my university. I wanted to enjoy some food during the holidays but way less than I had before and I'm having it in moderation. I was thinking okay if I can maintain what I have lost for the holidays and keep trying to loose after January that will be great... but the last few days I've been going down to 241... which is great but I think it's from stress I've been under at work (my boss even made me cry today). Taking it one day at a time.

Keep up the good work Pamtaga! I've stalled a bit in the 240s myself but I'm taking it one day at a time, one choice at a time. I too got excited because I haven't been this small in several years so I can relate.

pamatga
12-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Good day everyone and anyone who decides to read and/or 'stop by'. Glad to have 'y'all'. :coffee:

:welcome2: peachesncream. Yes, I do remember you, how could I not with such a cute username as that? ;) Thanks for checking in at a very busy time of the year for you. I am sorry to hear that your boss made you cry. I have some bad memories myself of certain bosses. They can make working a real bummer at times. :(

So, it sounds like you are both working and going to school. That is a lot to have on your plate right now. Is there an end in sight for the schooling? I can only imagine how difficult it would be to eat healthy on most school campuses. I never ate nachos and cheese until I went to college and they became my favorite between class snack. :fr: :lol:

Glad to hear that you are so close to breaking through the 240s. :carrot: I am sorry though that stress seems to be playing a big role in that.

How long is your winter break then? A month? Will you be staying there or going home for the holidays?:xcheer: My plan for the holidays in terms of eating is to allow myself two of my favorite foods but only a single serving per day between Christmas Day and New Year's Day. I will make sure that I only buy enough to last so there are no leftovers for January.

I have been having a couple of good days in a row, which I am happy about. Yesterday, my DH brought home some leftovers from one of his Christmas parties that he goes to (his organization so I wasn't invited---no spouses are). I ate it slowly and mindfully, one of my new Beck Diet Skills that I am practicing. I ate one single serving of dark chocolate later as well; which is four mini squares.

Today has been good so far. I want to finish decorating my Christmas tree. :tree:My back has been sore the past couple of days so I have been sitting on this but I want to put the ornaments on tonight and then I will be ready in terms of decorating for the holidays. I have an artificial tree so it will stay up to epiphany; January 5th--the 12th day of Christmas.

Again, thanks for dropping in and telling us how you are doing on your end.

wannaskipandlaugh
12-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Very good for you Pam! :)

Peaches.. you are doing your best and that is what matters and I am so sorry your boss was so mean that you cried. I am so sorry... Brighter days ahead!

I am not posting any weighings until after Christmas.. I was so off plan starting Saturday (YIKES office dinner... all you could drink and REAL Italian food... We sat at the table for 5 hours!! talking drinking and eating.. it was so much fun.. but oh the Cannolli's ahhhhhh Tiramasu! ahhhhhhh bread, oil sauce Well you understand and of course I had leftovers and leftovers from dinner last night and cookies and crumb cake that was sent to me.. YIKES!... sooooo after Christmas is when I will post a weight again.. Otherwise I will try and be good and stay away from Sugar, bread, potatos UGH! :)

Happy Monday all!

Mara
12-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Morning Guys!

Pam I am trying to eat slower and enjoy my food. Instead of wolfing it down. How is your back feeling?

Peachesandcream I think trying to maintain during the holidays is a good idea. I too am sorry your boss made you cry. I hate that. It makes me feel like I am giving them too much power over me.

Sue I would not have been able to resist. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water and stomach growl. lol

I am up a little from Friday, 243.8. Indulged in a few Christmas cookies. :)

nikitanix
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Hey everyone! This is my final post in this thread...I've just read through all the last posts that I've missed and I loved hearing all your updates, I hope the next group down is as fun!

Thanks for your advice Mara, I did actually up my calorie limit over the weekend - I had the girls round for food yesterday and needed the extra room for sure as we all cooked way too much but I ate less than usual, practiced either eating or talking - never both at the same time for once!! and sent all the skinnier ones home with leftovers - man was I sad to see that seasoned chicken leave!! So I kinda expected to not lose too much today although I went to the gym 5 times last week, including Friday night (!) but I was ecstatic to see I'm down to 236.2!!

So, it's not goodbye but see you later, I'll be in the next thread waiting for y'all, so hurry down now!!

Oh, and I got a fancy new ticker too!!

pamatga
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Good morning and day everyone: :wave:

Nikitanix: I am not sure if you will read this since you are probably now safe and secure in the 230s thread but we are so happy for you to see you "move on down" :bravo: Yes, look for me sometime in January. I am being extra diligent. I am just trying to focus on the non-food aspects of all of the holiday blur:gift2::rudolph::hohoho: that is swirling around me. That is my "from here until New Year's Day" plan. Keep the blinders on so I don't see all of those :mcd::m::jeno::cookie::chef: :lol: I think you get the picture by now.
:D

P.S. Don't you love the ticker choices? I have a hard time deciding what I want. I am always changing mine.

Mara: yes, I am too practicing eating slowly and mindfully. I am allowing myself 1 single serving of dark chocolate per day but NO MORE! :chockiss: I caught myself last night really wanting another single serving but I stood my ground and fought off the desire to have more. :ziplip: Great Job on the ticker going down...down is down in my book:book2:, no matter how much or how little. :mag:

My back is really being tested. I had a "project" left over from last Christmas that I decided now was a good time to tackle it. I have collected a ton of ornaments and decorations over decades and I just wanted to thin them out so since I was decorating the tree, I have brought a plastic bin, sat it between my legs and gone through it while watching Christmas programs on t.v. Of course, this also involves doing a lot of lifting and carrying so my back was really smarting by Sunday morning. I took more meds and then slept until noon. I want to make sure than when we do move in 2014, I am packing no more than I want to take with me.

sue(wannaskip): Your Italian meal sounded super! As a person who is married to someone who doesn't particularly like Italian food, if I have it at all it is spaghetti and sauce made at home. It would have been very tough for me not to fight down the crowd for some of those goodies. :hun: I know me. :D

I totally understand about wanting to just wait things out. However, I hope that you do check in once in awhile during the next couple of weeks. They will fly by as they always do. I can easily regain 10 lbs during the holidays. In fact, that has been as much of a tradition as me buying a fruit cake and eating it all by myself, since it seems like I am the only one who likes it. This year, I just don't want to keep flipping back and forth since I did plenty of that already this past fall. I have decided to start a "new tradition" and that means only a few choice goodies and that is all!:nono::lol:

Well, I have more of the "same old same" today so I will check in tomorrow. My ticker went down 0.2 lbs but I am going to wait and change it again when it is a little more. I am always hopeful. ;)

Mara
12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Way to go niki!!! Hope to see you soon in the next decade.

Pam I don't blame you for wanting to thin out why you can before moving. Less stress for moving day. I hope your back is better though.

I am down to 242.2 this morning. But the Christmas food gauntlet has been thrown down. lol here is hoping not too much damage is done.

pamatga
12-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Mara, glad to see that your scales are showing you all of the hard work that you are doing. I made the mistake of using canned green beans along with fully cooked (but 500 mg sodium) steak strips along with some rice and today the scales are up. I don't usually buy canned vegetables but there was a "sale" on them ...:( I think I am really going to have to rethink sodium for the new year or I am going to be playing this two step "forever". I just don't remember sodium being such a "big deal" for me last year but this past fall it has been. What gives? It has gotten me just perplexed.:?: Anyone have any suggestions or tips that they are using?

I really worked hard yesterday afternoon and by the time evening came I was more than ready to watch some Christmas programs on t.v. I actually even went to bed earlier too. I did have to take an extra dosage of NSAIDS for my back but I will admit seeing how much I had accomplished sort of made it worthwhile.

My eye caught a mini challenge that someone started in the 100 lbs. sub-forum so I joined it and added another ticker to my signature page. I did the numbers and I think it is a realistic goal that this woman proposes so I jumped on board. Losing "24-30 lbs by April 21st, which is Easter Monday." That is her wedding anniversary but it is still a good mid-range mini goal to work towards.

Well, after a couple more cups of coffee I am will be back at it.

Hope everyone has a great day, Pam :comp:

pnkrckpixikat
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Hey guys! Sorry I have been MIA the past few days, I had a take home final and a 4 hr block of psycho-educational testing to try to get accommodations for the GMAT, and work has been crazy because it is the end of the semester so everyone is trying to get holds removed, tickets paid, new bus passes etc.

Sue Wow that italian dinner sounds AMAZING I am sure I would have cracked too!

pam Sorting and thinning your christmas decorations sounds like sort of a fun process. the different decorations reminding you of past christmases and whatnot. I hope that you feel better soon!

mara you can do it!!!!

nikki CONGRATS! I hope to see you in the 230s thread soon

peachesandcream
12-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Hey Pam! I loved canned veggies too. I really love sauerkraut (way too much salt though)! Good luck

I'm a graduate student- I took classes my first year and now do research and teach classes. I don't have an clear end in sight so to speak, but I'm in my 3rd year into a PhD program, so I'm getting there. My boss can be very rough and make me cry but he's an expert in my specific field so I want to stick with him anyway. I'm trying to put on a tough skin. I have from Christmas Eve through the New Year off. Maybe I'll walk my parents dogs and use their elliptical while I'm home.

Good idea with having one serving of food that you want everyday. I also like like Mara's idea of savoring it slowly. I split a single 'serving' bag of SunChips with my OH and really savoring it got the craving out of my system while still sticking with my calorie budget.

CONGRATS Nicki!

I know what you mean Wanna- I can sit at the table with friends for a few hours of great fun and for me the snacky food bowl needs to be away from me or I will eat it all.

Best wishes to you Pixicat! I remember my crazy undergrad days.

Weighed in today at 241 again. I ate way too much when I went out with coworkers to lunch the other day but then I had to trek 2.5 miles in 13 degree F weather to get to work (missed my bus by two minutes). I really needed the exercise though.

wannaskipandlaugh
12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Pam.... Oh the salt is a killer. I have noticed a big change on my journey this time too. I had not noticed the water retention as much in the past. Maybe there is something in the air... but whatever it is... at least we know its the salt! I drink lemon water to help flush the extra water out (squeeze a lemon in cold water)... Your project of sorting thru ornaments is such a good idea. I have enough to decorate 4 trees (Themes too ) and alot of my (and I bet your) ornaments are pass downs from older relatives. They (ornaments) bring back such memories! You are doing so good on your journey and you (we all) will get thru the holidays and out the other side with happy memories!

MARA.. you are doing so gosh darn well! WOW! I see you in the New Year in another thread happily waiting for us! (Well Peaches willl be there with you!!!!)

PIXIKAT.. wow.. you are busy. I hope your final (test) is the final one you have tio take this semester! Are you still walking alot? Its gotten warmer there now right?

Peaches... Just think of your boss in his underwear! I know he might be a smart man (intelligence wise).. but he should also learn tact... (My boss needs to too!) We will be missing you here in a few days if not today! You are so close to the 230's :)

I hope all are well today! All of my leftovers are now GONE... so back on the stick again! Good thing as I weighed in at 249.8.... Couldn't have made it any closer could I?! LOL

Mara
12-18-2013, 09:44 AM
I am up a tiny bit today, 242.4, but it might be more with all the festivities. I am trying to me mindful of what I put on my plate though.

Hope you all have a good day.

pnkrckpixikat
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
peaches What are you studying? I hopefully will be graduating at the end of next fall so I am starting to consider applications and the gmat and fitting in the calc prereq that my current degree doesn't require. I am hoping to stay here at UTD but I have another couple schools I will be applying to as well.

Sue Yup that was my last test for the semester, now I am just waiting for grades! I work this week, than I am completely off for 2 weeks. I haven't been walking much, I fell out of the habit early in the semester when I went to the doctor for a check up and get referred to the cardiologist. it took 6 wks to get in with them and I was told not to stress myself until they knew what was going on. When I got the all clear it was cold in the mornings and it was midterms.... etc etc etc. All really just excuses I know lol. I did go to the gym yesterday and I am planning to use the break to get back in the habit of going to the gym or walking if the weather is warm enough for my cold hating tastes lol

mara just do the best you can, it is a difficult month for all of us.

Today I am the same as yesterday but I am also sore from the gym so I hope that means I will see a new low soon! I have a catered lunch at work today, I ordered something that is OP for me, I will just need to avoid whatever desserts they have at hand and I will be ok. *fingers crossed*

pamatga
12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone! :coffee:

:snowfight Glad to see so many of you today. :D peaches n pixiekat, I sure do remember my college days and how this time of year means all of the rushing to tie up loose ends before winter break. I used to do a lot of walking in those days and since I went to college where it is sub-zero weather :brr: I remember barely showing my eyes between my hat and scarf wrapped around my lower face. :lol:I do miss actively learning like you do in school. I still try to watch the History Channel and other similar ones so I can learn something new when I can. I just think that keeps a person "interested" in the world around them but I can guarantee you will never read as much as you do in college and I think that is a shame because I love books so much.:book2:

mara I am with you on not only getting through the next two weeks without gaining any more weight but also possibly losing weight. I opened the 100 lbs Club sub-forum the other day and a new topic caught my eye. Another person created a challenge of losing 24-30 lbs by Easter 2014. It just might end up being one more thread to post to but it also might be an added incentive for me to kick things into high gear.:kickbutt:

I have another e-mail support group that I have belonged to in the past couple of years and I will be rejoining them on January 1st. These are a group of women who used to belong to a paid weight loss site but decided once they got all they could get from that site decided to form a group on their own. I lead a couple of short term "challenges" and the leader is really great. If anyone is interested in joining just PM me.

Speaking of which, would anyone here be interested in joining any kind of short term challenge for either weight loss or exercising or both? I will say that I had never done any specific challenges before last year and I really found that when I followed the challenge's rules on a daily basis I really did lose more weight since I was so focused on doing the 'right thing' day in and day out. I have an excel spreadsheet that has the format of a "boot camp" challenge that we used in another group I was in last year on another site. Let me know how you feel and if you are interested. We wouldn't start though until January 6th. Each short term challenge runs 8 weeks and then whomever loses the most weight is "deemed" the "winner".

sue(wannaskip): Well, you are still technically in the 240s so whether you just squeaked by or not:mouse: you are one of us.

We got another great deal on a fresh turkey last night so that is what we are going to have on Christmas Eve. My DH sings in the Midnight Mass so we will be going to that after we have eaten. I am still sticking to my guns and only allowing myself two favorite food items to eat one single serving at a time per day between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

I had to laugh. I made the switch to dark chocolate about 18 months ago and now I actually prefer it but on occasion I do have milk chocolate. The interesting thing is milk chocolate actually has more sugar in it so for me it sets up a craving. I have been allowing myself one single serving of dark chocolate for the past couple of weeks. It has been working. My DH was shopping and said they were out of dark chocolate and would I consider milk chocolate "this time". :sssh: I wasn't thinking so I said "Yes":chockiss:. I don't know if this helped but I put it in the refrigerator (ours runs really cold) and it was so hard I had to nibble little tiny pieces off of a small chunk I broke off but "it worked!" :goodvibes

The scales hasn't budged so all I can say is that I passed on my usual evening popcorn and I am hoping I can change my ticker tomorrow.:crossed:

Peaches it looks like you are the closest to breaking free into the 230s with Mara on your heels....and pixiekat is next in line with me in the middle of the pack and sue is our caboose. We make up one rockin' train.....:coach:

thewalrus0
12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi ladies!!

I'm movin' in!

I'm excited to be here. :) Happy holidays everyone!

I'll probably post a bit more some other time, just thought I'd say hello first!

wannaskipandlaugh
12-19-2013, 09:26 AM
:welcome2: Walrus! GLAD to have you join us on your journey downward! :) We have a GREAT Group here! You will fit right on in (I read the other thread too and hope to see a few more coming on in!)

Well.. now I feel like I belong better here... 248.6... so have some cushion!.. but I am now BOUND and DETERMINED to get back down to that 245 and then LOWER! 243 by 1/1 I am hoping!... Back on track and the sugary things and bready things are now NOT the ruler of me!!! :D (Fighting that little voice!)

pnkrckpixikat
12-19-2013, 10:05 AM
walrus welcome!!!

sue see it is flushing right off!

pam if you live near a community college you can always take a class a semester or something just for fun. Take whatever strikes your fancy. If I suddenly won the lottery and never had to work I would totally do this once I finished my Bachelors. I would take time between semesters to travel and take pictures and learn new hobbies but I would definitely take random classes when at home.

So I bounced up a little again, I hope it is because I started working out again and my muscles are sore. I learned yesterday that if the office is having a party maybe I should bake a small atkins friendly dessert and take for myself and the other girl that is supposed to be on atkins too, we both gave in to the desserts. I didn't to horrible but even the couple bite I did have had some sort of effect on my insulin and I am supposed to be avoiding that. Thankfully it hasn't set off any cravings at least.

Mara
12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome Walrus!

Sue great job on keeping active. I am slacking since it got cold. Need to be brave and do it anyways. lol

Pixi I am sure the sore muscles are causing the slight move up. And I am amazed at your will power. A couple bites would have been a whole piece for me. lol

Pam it sounds like you have a plan of action, so that is awesome. I am getting to were I like dark chocolate a lot. 72% is as about as dark as I can eat right now.

I am up. I am sure it is sodium from the two Christmas parties yesterday.

pamatga
12-19-2013, 12:45 PM
:welcome: walrus of Anchorage, Alaska! :snowglo: How much snow do y'all have up that way? I used to live in MN so I am used to sub-zero and lots of snow which it sounds like all of you "up North" are getting in spades this year.:snow4:

Glad you could join us all and meet you on your way "down" the scale ladder.
Are you far enough north where you have daylight hours until 11 p.m.?

sue(wannaskip): Great Job on flushing out that extra pound that was hanging around. The main river that goes through Atlanta here is the Chatahootchee so I always say, " Better in the Chatahootchee than on me" :D

I hear you about dodging all of the carbs and sweets with this week coming up. Great Job in keeping active. Mine is more about going through a lot of stuff so although I am moving my upper body my lower body is doing a lot of sitting. :lol: I am finding it hard to even think about moving my body let alone doing something sweaty. :kickcan:This time of year when it is so cold :shocksn: (and yes, we are getting the wide temp swings that the rest of the country is getting) I just want to snuggle under the covers.. a lot!

pixiekat: thanks for the ideas about taking some classes. The area that I am moving to has some smaller colleges that I might check out. I would like to learn French again (I took it in high school) and I would love to learn a musical instrument.

So, are you following the Atkins food plan closely? I wanted to just try one of their food items so I went on their web site but you have to join in order to try them and I just didn't want that level of financial commitment so I didn't but I would have liked to have tried them anyway. I just placed an order from Diet Direct.com. I have ordered once before and they were always sending me catalogs even though, as far as I know, I never requested one from them. I ordered some multi-vitamins last time and I was really impressed with the quality of the vitamins. I have taken vitamins "forever" and it just seems like between me working on losing weight (less calories) and getting older the ones that I used to take just don't seem to 'do it' for me. The ones from Diet Direct are geared towards WLS patients (even though I never have had that so I was kind of confused why and how I got their catalog originally) but they are just excellent! I could tell within a few days that I had a lot more energy.

mara Sorry to hear that you are struggling with a cold. I have resumed taking Emergen-C again every day. I swear by it. I don't take the flu shot because 1) the cost 2) I sometimes have quite a reaction to some of them. I had two upper respiratory infections last December back to back. I did manage to come around on Christmas Eve but then early January it returned. Blah!

Hope you will be feeling well. Well, the "good news" about the Christmas parties :xcheer: is that most of them are over with. We got a last minute e-vite to go to a friend's house this coming Sunday afternoon for "light hor' doeuvres" and wine but, again the crazy weather, it is supposed to be 68 on Saturday and then tornadic weather on Sunday with lightning and the whole shish bang so I am not sure what we will do. I really don't feel like partying if the lights go out. Basements are a rare thing in these parts so it means just watching the family dog house do a "fly by" when the winds kick up. :lol:

Well, we are going to do our grocery shopping for next week. I am going to get some diet hot chocolate that I saw the last time but forgot to get as well as some fat free popcorn. I may not lose any weight next week but I hope that I also won't re-gain any either. This is a tough time of the year for us all so be "gentle" with yourself. We only have 8 days left and then we can all get down to some serious business come early January.

Take care all, Pam: comp:

pnkrckpixikat
12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Pam - I am really liking Atkins but I am following the 2002 book when it was still dr Atkins writing it. the people he sold it to are just out to make $$$ and don't seem to follow his original stuff at all. They often say alot of stuff is ok for induction that aren't. For most people that is likely fine, but for more sensitive people it won't put them into ketosis. So far I have only had 2 of the frozen dinners which i picked up from the local grocery store, it was ok but things I could make in bulk and freeze myself. Really the premise for the diet is do 2 wks at 20 net carbs with only certain veggies allowed at 1 cup and leafy greens at 2 cups per day, non carb foods eat til you aren't hungry, limited dairy to a serving or two a day. then after 2 weeks you add in 5g of carbs a week until you stall than you back down by 10 grams. you can stay at induction longer though if you want.

personally I eyeball the veggie servings and likely eat a small amount more, I have 2-4 servings of dairy, but I am still keeping myself at 20-25 grams of carb on days I manage not to slip and have a couple bites of something I'm not supposed to have.

in terms of the vitamins I am just taking the same multi vitamins I have always taken. I should add some fish oil or something but I haven't yet. nextime I replace my regular vitamins i probably will add them in

wannaskipandlaugh
12-20-2013, 09:02 AM
I believe PIXIKAT! Yep.. the water is wooshing out! :) woohoo.. have 2.5 more to go by Christmas and I am going to do my darndest to make it happen! Did you get your test results? :) I also like your idea of taking a class to learn something you like just because! To stay young you need to stimulate your mind and why not strengthen it learning something new! Its been awhile since I took a class... You put the bug into me too (glad you posted that message to Pam!)

I too do Atkins Pam, and have learned over the years, if I stick with it... I can live with it. I do eat too much cheese tho.. That is my bane and I need to skip that in at least 1 of my meals LOL and I do not eat enough veggies (HATE THEM!) but I take fiber tablets and about 14 vitamins a day (B's, E, CoQ10, Omega 3, Fiber, D3, Calcium (like I need that with all the cheese I eat lol), Glucosomine-Chondroitin, extra A for my eyes, Cinnamon and some formula for Cholesterol lowering... I RATTLE all morning LOLOLOL But I know they are good for me and the excess flushes out (B's). I do like eating Atkins way and avoid the Bars. but in a pinch I do have the shakes in the fridge in case I don't have time to grap something (Good for road trips and boredom hunger!)

Its Friday and I hope you all have a terrific day!... WOW only 4 days to shop and 4 more days of FRENZY to watch! :)

Mara
12-20-2013, 09:57 AM
The scale is being a meanie today. I hope it will be more favorable after all these Christmas/Holiday get togethers are over. Restraining myself from jumping ship completely, but I have definitley dipped my toe (or leg) in the ocean of food goodies. lol

I hope everyone is having a a great day! Weekend just around the corner.

Only Believe
12-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Howdy all,
I hope you don't mind me joining you for a few days. I've goofed up so bad lately I started not to come back to 3fc at all, but here I am.:o

peachesandcream
12-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the funny image of my boss in his underwear Wanna.

Pixicat I'm studying biochemistry- more specifically protein engineering to make environmentally friendly catalysts for chemical reactions. Best of luck to you in your applications.

Welcome Walrus! Glad to see you here.

I also need to pick some low cal popcorn and other nice stuff to help Pamtaga. My other half picked up a bag of corn chips because they were on sale :dizzy: I had some but then had him put the bag in a secret location for himself. I need smaller packaged items (I hate how much more expensive they are) because otherwise I have been known to eat the whole bag or container...

Best of luck to you Mara. That's exactly how I feel right now. Toe in an ocean of food.

I'm still at 141 and I feel like I'm stuck there because I keep indulging in food with it being the holidays (not that it's any excuse though). I'm trying to picture how good it will feel to be smaller and that helps motivate me.

Only Believe welcome back! The past is the past and what's done is done we can't backup in time, but we can always move forward. Best wishes to you in your journey.

And a mini-vent- my coworker (bosses girlfriend) continues to feel the need to get into a commentary of what I'm eating- "Oh, you ate ALL of that" or "Do you just go to the gym EVERYDAY?" and it makes me so mad. I feel like I can't say anything back to her because well she's my bosses girlfriend. She's so small- almost underweight (but I would never dream of criticizing someone for having a naturally smaller body type). Trying to just let it go and use it as fuel to my fire for loosing weight...

Happy Friday everyone!

justaloozer
12-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Happy Friday!!!!!

I keep teetering between this thread and the 250s thread since I am bouncing between the same 5lbs!! I really need to buckle down and get focused. Mara, like you I have almost jumped ship but I am restraining myself!

Peaches that is downright RUDE of her! Admittedly I am confrontational by nature :blush: and would say something to make her uncomfortable about her stupid comments. I have said stuff like "Well, I didn't get this belly from sharing!" I am amazed by what people think is appropriate to say.

pnkrckpixikat
12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
See sue, I told you! And you should totally take a class! Once you know tell us what you are taking and how you like it :)

mara I think most of us have been flirting with the ocean of goodies lol

onlybeleive WELCOME BACK!!!! I've missed you :( i fell off and then you fell off, but we are both back now lol

peaches wow that would get soo annoying, but I am like you and I would likely just get silently irritated and never say anything. I avoid confrontation if I can. That sounds like a very interesting topic! I am bad with math and science though so I stick with the easier stuff :)

justa you can do it!!!!!

So today is the last day of work before 2 weeks off, yay!!! I predict the 2 wks will go either very good for my diet as I am not being tempted by treats at work and school etc, or very bad because I tend to boredom eat. I have things I plan to do so I hope I can avoid the latter.

thewalrus0
12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Hi guys!!

I had my first hot yoga and man it was hard. I've never been so hot in my life!

I went mostly for my sister, who wanted to go with a friend and didn't want to be the newbie by herself, but it was a good experience. I made it through a full hour of flow yoga, which is hard. Flow yoga, even in my daily 20 minute practices, is always the hardest because it's the fastest paced.

Anyways, I feel really proud but today is definitely a rest day, or maybe a light hula hoop dancing day.

I'm officially out of the 250's though!! The scale said 247.6 but I wrote down 248 because I go in fives. :P If it had been 247.5 I would've written that down.

I'm really excited because my goal for the next three weeks is to be 245lbs or under and I think that's a definite! I'm hoping to start the semester close to 240lbs. I'm hoping I'll be down a pants size soon!

I hope everyone is doing well!!

pamatga
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Good day all! :coffee2:

I had an "off" day yesterday. I was feeling so draggy and tired all day. Rather than prop myself up with lots of coffee, I didn't and I really didn't snap to until 8 p.m. after I had a very large meal. Having said that though, I spent the rest of the night deciding what I was going to do for the last 11 days of this month and calendar year.

"Getting back on track" for me means: I will do my best to stick to 1530-1880 calories (which is my non-aerobic day allowance on my diabetes weight loss plan). I am going to allow one day only (Christmas Eve or Day, not sure yet) to have 25% above that or an additional 470 calories. This may mean a larger meal with some of the traditional sides or one single serving of a dessert. I haven't gone grocery shopping yet so I am not sure which.

Now, when I recall the past several holiday seasons I have gone through; this is a major 180 degree turn around for me. :carrot: If I can "pull this off" then it will be the first time in my known history that I have not used the holidays as an excuse to fall face first into the chip dip or stuff my chipmunk cheeks with cookies and candy. I feel like I am on some dangerous "mission" and I feel both excited and scared all at the same time. :yikes: :goodluck:

This comes on the heels of me having to change my ticker up again. I started in this 240s group on October 1st. The lowest that I got down was 241.2 lb and now today I sit here at 248.2 lbs. :halfempty I weigh every morning and record it in a pocket calendar and looking at the month of December alone just makes me cringe.

However, having said that, I still feel like I have 11 days left of this month to "get back on track". If I have learned anything is once you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off and get right back on.

Coincidentally, I was looking at my calendar and saw that tomorrow is the first official day of winter so I decided to make myself a mini-goal: lose 26 lbs between the first day of winter and the first day of spring. That is also approximately 25% of the remaining weight that I want to lose so with each new season, I can change the ticker to correspond to the season and then just focus on that increment of weight to lose for that season. My end goal will be to be starting maintenance next December 21st. :snowglo:

pixiekat: thanks for explaining the induction phase of Atkins. Can you share the title of the 2002 book from Dr. Atkins. I am sure I might still be able to find it on Amazon.com since that carries a lot of out of print books.

sue(wannaskipnlaugh): Glad to hear that the water weight is coming off. That is always such a boost for the self-esteem when it happens.

mara Good Job on showing restraint at the holiday parties. We have one more to go to on Sunday afternoon. It is in the middle of the afternoon so I am going to try and eat before and then try to nurse a drink while I am there. Hopefully, there won't be any food pushers around to speak of.

:welcome2: onlybelieve. Yes, I remember you. Don't feel bad about being M.I.A. for a while. We saved a seat for ya so now all you have to do is warm it up. :D

peachesncream: I am so sorry that you have such crappy work scenarios. It is so hard to not get sucked into all of that mind play, especially when you are feeling low. Although you are the lowest weight here in this group so I hope you feel proud of that fact! :cheer: Keep using that underwear visualization but use really ugly :p underwear images. :lol:

justaloozer: well, since you are on our teeter side, glad you could join us. I have been playing the slide trombone myself for the past couple of months. So, all I have to say is "keep the faith" and "don't give up!" :coach: Just tell those pounds whose boss!:rollpin:They'll get the idea eventually! ;)

thewalrus0: I think I have to show up here just to learn about all of these new workout options. ;):exercise: I take it this is not your "mama's yoga class"! :yoga: More like out ta my way, bud! :boxing: Great work on getting closer to your next pants size. :yay:

Well, all, I am on to another day of getting ready for the holidays. I'll drop on Christmas Day night.

pnkrckpixikat
12-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Pam alot of his books have the same names because he revises them and adds new stories and examples and re-releases it so really any edition 2002 or before works but here is a link to amazons 2002 hard cover version. (they dont seem to have the soft cover) http://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Diet-Revolution-Revised-Edition/dp/1590770021/ref=pd_sim_b_7 if you click for paperback you get the 2009 edition, idk if this is a reprint or the new company still using his name and title so be careful what you buy! If you check any local book resale places they might have the old versions and the library seems sure to as well.

walrus hot yoga always sounds so exhausting to me. congrats for making it through the class!

thewalrus0
12-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Well I dropped another lb!

Whoo!

wannaskipandlaugh
12-21-2013, 11:33 AM
:woohoo: for YOU Walrus! :)

WOW.. we have so many WONDERFUL people here and it is so good to see someone I haven't seen for awhile (Only Believe!.... you stay here will be short and I hope that you take a bunch if not all of us with you into the 230-220's thread... just think how that thread will swell!)

I wish you all a great Saturday and just think.. only 5 more days of temptation... then its New Years... (eh.. leading up to it.. is nothing unless you like to watch FOOTBALL) and then our next temptation is the SuperBowl... so we have plenty of catch up and get back in the saddle time! :) and WE ALL WILL DO IT!..

OH... just look back at how far you have come from this time last year. Aren't you all glad you started this journey and look how much stronger you are! How more in control of yourself you are?! and look at the new clothes ( YAHOO!) This has been a good year and I am so glad to spend my time with you all!

I am down again today and have lost all my weight gain but .4... (245.6) so I am happy... NOW to shoot for 244!!! That is going to happen by Wednesday OH YES IT IS! :)

pamatga
12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Good day everyone! :coffee2:

Congrats thewalrus0 on the pound lost.

Congrats sue(wannaskip) for being down again. Great attitude! :carrot:

And I will add my name to the growing list. I lost 2 lbs. my first day being back "OP" (on plan) with my calorie range as well as monitoring my carbs per meals and snacks. Granted, it is losing some re-gain but I quickly changed my ticker. I need the "ego boost" of a lose rather than a regain, if y'all know what I mean. ;)

pixiekat: thanks for the information regarding which books to buy and which to avoid. I find that when I control my carbs, the gnawing hunger is almost abated. I am pre-diabetic and not on meds nor do I want to be. So, my food plan has to do it for me.

Well, keep up the good work all! Pam :comp:

pnkrckpixikat
12-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Walrus Congrats on going down!

Sue yup only a 11 more days of outright temptation! I am counting until new years as people have parties til then. For me though the only plan I have is christmas so hopefully it wont be too bad for me.

pam no problem! Good luck with it! join us in the atkins thread too if you want :)

wannaskipandlaugh
12-22-2013, 10:20 AM
YAY Pam... 2 lbs down! Good for you! Your story is awesome and you are such a good writer.... Ever think of writing...???

PixiKat... I am finally getting closer to you... only .5 lbs away... OH I am trying so hard to catch up to you and Mara... I have been in this thread (this is my 2nd time due to scale troubles) 12 weeks... and I tell you that is LONG ENOUGH!

TIME to get to the 230-220 thread... NEW YEARS RESOLUTION!!! :lol:

I am back down to my best and lowest this journey 245.2... oh so close to 244 I can taste it! Tomorrow? Tho I am finishing up my cookies and have to walk away from the bowels! I also have an urge to walk around our mall just to see what people are doing this 2 days before Christmas and feel the ferver and joy that people eminate... Does that sound crazy?! LOL

Enjoy this Blessed Sunday all and may the weather be NOT SO BAD by you! We will be 84 today (oh YUCK and I would send some of this your direction if I could!)

pnkrckpixikat
12-22-2013, 10:55 AM
sue I creep along and you whoosh fairly predictably, I am sure you will pass me up with your next one. You will likely be in the 230s long before me. at the rate I seem to be going I may be there in late Jan early Feb.

And no you are not crazy to want to go walk the mall, that actually sounds like a great idea to me, I may do it as well

Only Believe
12-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone. My scales said 239.2 this morning. Not sure why the good drop since I'm still struggling to get back on track. I'm hoping to keep those numbers going in the right direction.
I can hardly believe it's almost 2014! New year to get more lbs gone! Let's do it!

pamatga
12-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, it is storming here :rain:It has been raining non-stop since 7 a.m.today. A good day for ducks though.:D

onlybelieve I understand how you can see a drop on the scales but it still takes time to register when you are bouncing :dance:back and forth. Celebrate your victory and keep at it. :dancer: You will stay here. I know you will.

pixiekat:I will get that book, read it and then look up your Atkins group here on 3FC. It might be awhile. I am presently working my customized diabetes weight loss meal plan from a registered dietician. I will admit that I fell off the wagon :moo: but I am back OP(on plan) the last few days and I want to really give this a try. My daily carbs aren't as low as yours I don't think. I am supposed to aim for 40-60 grams per meal and 20-30 grams per snacks with eating 3 meals and 2 snacks. I have a hard time eating two snacks since that feels like I am eating such small meals but I usually have one snack in the evening. I have found that when my total carbs are around 180 grams per day, I feel pretty good. Anything over 240 grams and I start seeing cravings and hunger return.

sue(wannaskip): great job on the downward march of the scales. :cp:
Thanks for the compliments on my posts. Some may say I am long-winded. :D

Well, I had another really good day being "OP"(on plan). I got my mixed nuts and chocolate for the upcoming holidays. I did want them last night but since I had already eaten all of my calories for the day, I told myself, "Tomorrow". I did include them in my breakfast. :T:coffee:but now no more until tomorrow. :nono: :lol:

Well, my next door neighbors took advantage of the balmy weather (mid-60s even around midnight to early morning) and had their holiday party out on their front porch. I didn't fall asleep until 6:30 a.m. when the rain finally forced them indoors. :rolleyes:

So, today I am getting off to a slow start.:dz:

We can do these! Like pixiekat said, only 11 more days of holiday celebrating that we have to dodge and then the New Year is upon us. Let's make it a great one this coming year. I am hoping that I will lose the rest of my weight. Yes, it is a grand goal but it is doable if I can lose an average of 2 lbs a week for rest of this year and up to December 21st, 2014. Aim big! Reach high!:cheer3::cheer2:

P.S. I think the mall idea sounds great! My DH and I are going to do our last minute shopping tomorrow afternoon (when he gets paid) so I am bracing myself. :lol::moped:

pnkrckpixikat
12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
pam you are above where I am at by far, pre atkins I was aiming for 100g per day but usually hit around 120g. with atkins I am aiming for 30 or less and those are coming from veggies, dairy, nuts, and unsweetened cocoa powder. of course that is once fiber is subtracted out so if I have 32g of carbs but 12 of those are fiber it counts as 20g with atkins.

wannaskipandlaugh
12-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Pam.. wow the neighbors were partying until 6:30 AM??? REALLY wow... I hope they asked if it was okay to party that late and long. That can really disrupt life and sleep!... Glad it was warm for you! (Its HOT here in Fla - I have my Air Conditioning back on these last 2 days sigh) Have fun at your mall.... I walked the mall last night ( as ours was open til 10 pm on Sunday) and it was very crowded.. but noone was screaming and noone was fighting for parking spots! A few noisy kids.. but that was in the food court play area and they sounded happy. It was great seeing all the people with packages (good for the Economy). I did not see very many Christmas customes on people (which I had hoped for) but alot of smiles and love (Jewelry stores were PACKED!) Have fun Pam!

Only Believe... SEE I knew you would not be here long! Just getting back on the horse - you see results right away! We will see you in the 230-220!

Pixikat - I too try to keep under 30 carbs a day... tho some days------- I can't count that high!!! LOL. But I do lose when under 30 carbs! and I always feel Better (Mind) when I do! and Thank you Pixikat.. I am in the 244's just squeaked in at 244.8.. BUT I WILL OWN IT! :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVE to you all! May this be a Joyous day for you!

I am officially 75 lbs GONE! :woohoo:

pnkrckpixikat
12-23-2013, 10:09 AM
sue :cheer3::cheer2::cheer3: WOOHOO 75lbs gone!!!! congrats! Own that 244!!! And somedays I just give up counting altogether too, or I just plan on not... like christmas. I am going to be mindful, and try not to eat the plain stuff I could get any day like bread and mashed potatos, but I am not gonna be strict with myself on stuff that is more rare.

justaloozer
12-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

wannaskipandlaugh
12-26-2013, 09:10 AM
I so do hope you all had a wonderful Christmas... full of joy, love and happiness and very few arguments! :) and the food (yay sure) did not call your name too loud... LOL

I did eat bad carb wise (my plan) soooo back on the plan today.. But I did alot of physical activity so only gained 2 lbs (I know that alot of it is water... but some of it is fat as I did eat way more than 3000 calories yesterday. BUT that is AOK... that was yesterday and Christmas and there are 364 more days til that happens again. I just think of this time last year when I was 320+ lbs. Had a hard time getting up from a couch, finding clothes to fit, eating to find happiness (HA HA HA doesn't happen) and having my underwear dig into me. This year... WOW so much better. I can move around like crazy, clothes fall off (alot that I never got to wear are going to the Salvation Army for someone else's happiness!) and I need 2 sizes smaller underwear WOOHOO! LOL What a difference a year makes. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Like they say... Start now and in time you will look back and be happy that you started and I AM Grateful I did start!

Okay... weight on the 26th 246.8.... up 2.2 lbs from 2 days ago and I want this gone and extra by 1/1 morning!! OH YEP.. New Year... I want to start close to being 1/2 done on this journey (wanted 1/2 way;. but thats 6.8 lbs and not likely - but I will be close!)

HAPPY DAY ALL and if you are returning things or shopping.. that will be ALOT of Calorie burn I am thinking!

Mara
12-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Morning! I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I was out of twon for a few days and was not able to log in. I am back up a little, 245.2, but a few indulgent Christmas dinners will do that.

Hope to be back down again soon.

pnkrckpixikat
12-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Good morning! Hope everyone had a wonderful christmas!

Sue you have come so far! don't stress the 6.8 pounds to the halfway mark because you are doing AMAZING! and I am sure will continue to do amazing!

Mara It'll flush off in no time, just get back to plan and you will be fine!!!

I am up 6lbs this morning but I had a lot of carbs and salt so I am really not surprised, I tend to be super sensitive to it. Hopefully it'll whoosh off soon!

thewalrus0
12-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone!

We all made it through the holidays alive, eh? :)

Well, I don't have a lot going on around the house during the holidays anyways so I'm lucky in that regards. I haven't gone off plan in about a month now so that's good.

The scale is hovering around 247.5 which is nice because it's moving down but I won't count it until it reaches 247 even. I try not to get too obsessive about the 'ounces'. I mean, the scale is a tool for me to know I'm heading in the right direction, not just a number. I could step on a doctor's scale and it could be higher or lower. The important part is that the number is moving down regularly. :)

So anyways, my holidays went well.

I promise I do go back through and read each of your posts, I just don't always have the energy to individually respond. :P I appreciate all of you who do though.

pnkrckpixikat
12-26-2013, 04:18 PM
walrus no worries on the personals, I have the same problem a couple times a week, just too mentally drained to do personals... good job for staying on plan for the holidays! I say that it is 427 as soon as it hits 247.9 lol so celebrate! and you have a great attitude about the doctors scale possibly being different, you are totally right, as long as the trend is down the exact number on any given scale doesn't matter as much

justaloozer
12-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Glad everyone had a great holiday!

Walrus I also read each and every single post. I still feel like I kinda don't belong here since the scale is still bouncing around. But I promise to participate more. The holiday is over (we don't do a lot of cooking for New Years like Thanksgiving and Christmas) so I know the scale will start going down and staying down!

pnkrck I do what you do- count my weight as whatever comes before the decimal! LOL!

I weighed in at 250.4 today. Did 30 day shred level 1 and half of level 2. Trying to make sure I burn at least 420 cals through exercise 4x a week.

pamatga
12-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Glad to be back! :cp::coffee: It sounds like everyone did well for the holidays. I managed to do well by pre-planning my meals especially my carbs. Speaking of which, for those of who here who count carbs, and it sounds like pixiekat and sue are two, what do you do on days that you do cardio? Do you find that your blood sugar gets too low? I have to have a carb before or after working out, especially cardio, or I get the shakes really bad.

:bravo: sue(wannaskipnlaugh) for the 75 lbs gone forever. I hear you. I have managed to lose and keep off nearly 60 lbs and it does make a huge difference. However, I didn't do it in as short of time as you did. So, I am hoping that I can crack the whip this coming year and see my end goal weight by Christmas 2014.

walrus and mara :wave:happy to see you two post as well.

Well, let's see what we all can do for the rest of this year. I am still eating leftovers although, except for the turkey, they are almost all gone. I don't make a lot so a couple of meals and they disappear. :shrug::D

pnkrckpixikat
12-26-2013, 07:49 PM
pam - once your body burns out your carb stores in your liver and muscles etc you won't have that problem because your body is converting fat to use for everything instead of carbs. Until your body has finished the detox you may have what people term carb flu. It is flu like symptoms which can include fatigue, nausea, headaches etc. but once you get through it most people report more energy and no more problems with fluctuating blood sugar levels. It is the carbs themselves that are causing the issue that you are describing.

ETA: The book "Why we get fat and what to do about it" goes into all the science hows and whys in an understandable manner

Mara
12-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Morning! I hope the water weight from idulging and exercising is startign to work it's way out the door for everyone.

I am down a little today, 244.2. Hopefully be back to my lowest soon. :)

justaloozer
12-28-2013, 09:06 AM
I was down to 249.8 yesterday, but af is here and she brought a pound with her. Water weight, I know!

Heading off to the gym in a bit.

Have a great day everyone!

MarliQQ
12-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I am new to this forum and thread and so for the last few days I have been lurking on a few threads to see what the vibe is, and I must say you guys are so positive, even when sharing your failures in your journey. I started my journey after weighing 250lbs back in late November of this year, the highest I have ever seen on a scale. My last weigh-in was this past Tuesday and I was holding at 240.2lbs. I am pretty sure I will be under that by my next weigh-in. I refuse to reach my next birthday with a 2 leading on the scale.

Best wishes to everyone and their future successes :hug:

pnkrckpixikat
12-28-2013, 09:22 PM
mara it'll go back down! just have patience!

justaloozer stupid AF! but at the end maybe a nice whoosh!

marli WELCOME!!!!! and congrats on 10lbs off so far :) go you! :carrot:

pamatga
12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
:welcome: marliQQ. I don't know if you saw this when you were checking out the different threads located under 100 lbs to lose Club but there is another thread for 220s-230s which it sounds like you might be there very soon. However, glad you can join us until you are ready to "cross over". :angel:

:bravo: on the nearly 10 lbs gone! You are doing great! :cp::hat:

I meant to get on here two days ago but my DH finally both got paid and had some free time to do some shopping. The weatherman was predicting more rain for the weekend so we also wanted to beat that. It has been very cold here this past week. It has been in the mid-30s once the sun goes down. That is cold for northern GA.:brr:

pixiekat: thanks for the tip on carbs and "carbs flu". That is more of a withdrawal symptom when you are going from a higher carb food plan to a low carb food plan and that usually goes away within a few days. I used to follow SB 5 years ago and I do know what you are describing. I am pre-diabetic and I monitor my blood glucose. What I was referring to was when I have depleted my glucose stores and my blood sugar drops uncomfortably low; usually when I have had a high energy cardio workout. What works best for me is to not have too high or too low of carbs within each meal as well within each day. So, I both monitor the amount of carbs that I have with each meal and pay close attention when I have used up all of my glucose reserves. I have glucose tablets for hypoglycemia episodes. It is a much more serious condition than what you are describing and it can become a medical emergency if left untreated.

mara, justaloozer et al: hello, my dear friends! :snow4: :lol:

Well, it is hard to believe that we only have a few more days left of this year.

FYI; I will be leading an 8 week weight loss challenge here on 3FC and you all are welcome to join if you wish. If you think this is something that you would like to do, then PM with your email address and I will send you the excel spreadsheet that you follow. It will begin on January 6th. Weekly weigh-ins are on Mondays so that is why I am starting it on the first Monday of the month.

My weight has stayed the same but I am not surprised. We had two great meals on both Christmas Eve/Day which I both monitored and logged. Then, we had three meals out. All were sit down meals with meat/potato and vegetable. So, I have been enjoying "the high life", so to speak, for the past week and all of that sodium is just lurking around.:hungry::kickcan::frypan::kickbutt: Yes, in that order!

So, what are everyone's plans for New Year's Eve?:xcheer: We usually have a quiet one and stay-at-home. I want to broil salmon for our evening meal. I rejoined another group that I have belonged to on and off for the past couple of years and already our first weigh in is tomorrow. Boy, 2014 is coming around quickly!:shocksn:

MarliQQ
12-29-2013, 03:20 PM
So today is the last day for my veggie/fruit load challenge :broc:, THANK GOD :celebrate: I basically only had vegetables in my plate for all meals and fruit as snacks, for an entire week. I thought it wouldn't be that bad if I stuck to veggies I liked, but eventually, I got so bored that I started trying to pump up the variety with veggies I didn't like so much. Needless to say, I found myself with ramped up cravings for everything I was denying myself. Strangely,there was even some homemade lemonade in the fridge I kept staring at continually. I say strangely, because I hadn't had a hankering for any juices before this week, and you would think that would be the case, since I have been drinking only water since last month. So yeah tomorrow I pray that I don't binge in my excitement :dust:

Oh and I also want to pat myself on the back, since deciding I was going to go on this weight loss journey, I have been so diligent with working out :woops: even when I did not want to. Honestly, my best motivator has been me, and I do mean literally ME. This may be TMI, I'll share though because it may help someone else, but when I get to the point that I don't want to workout at all and just skip a session, I take myself to my full length mirror. I then proceed to get naked :o , and yes I spin around nice and slow so I can see it ALL :lol: It helps to remind me of what I am striving for, I mean, of course I always remember that I am overweight, but a nice stroll in front of the mirror without clothes gives you a moment of...clarity.

So fingers crossed for my next weigh-in, I hope my hard work paid off :goodscale

pamatga,pnkrckpixikat Thanks for the welcome.
pamatga I lived in Dallas GA for three years, up until this past summer, so I agree, mid-30's was def cold for down there :D And honestly, I haven't thought about New Years yet, probably because I'm never the host or hostess for anything, only the attendee :woo: But I know there are like 5 birthday parties in the month of January, and those people expect my presence and presents :dizzy:

Em Coconut
12-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone :)

Looks like finals period and the holidays brought me back up into the 240's. Hopefully I won't stay very long, as I am officially back on the wagon now (calorie counting). Let's all make 2014 our year! :D

Mara
12-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Welcome MarliQQ and Em Coconut!

Not weighed this weekend. Waiting to see what tomorrow brings. :)

Anybody have plans for New Year's?

wannaskipandlaugh
12-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Hello all! :) and YAY.. its almost time for a New Year (and a New US!) :)

Even tho it was the holidays.. I have a feeling that we all did pretty good. Did not lose total track of what our personal mission is and have gotten back (or close too) the saddle again and on the Journey!

Welcome MarliQQ! and Em Coconut!... (You both won't be visiting us very long as you will be flying down to the next thread! ... I think a few of us will be following in a week or so!) Glad you have joined!

Pam... Carb Flu is icky and I am so sorry that your workouts deplete your sugar that bad. But you are taking care of yourself and that is the important thing (Glad you got your shopping in before the rain!)

Mara...I am with you! Lets do the Down Down Down dance!!! :)

Pixikat...your gains are whooshing off YAY!! :)

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas (if you celebrate) and a Holiday with your family and loved ones! MIne was nice as, for a change, no fights! HOORAY in my book... But I am having a mishap.. I lost 2 bills and checks to pay them somewhere in my local Walmart and they have not turned up... So now I am worried about my Checking account, CC and Cable info Sigh... So not sleeping very well..... If they don't show up clearing my account by Thursday, I am opening a new account. I am hoping for a good Samaritan that was nice enough to put the letters in the mail and did not open them.... I am praying... sigh...

BUT Looking forward to the New Year!.... Mara.. I have a friend having a few people over for New Years eve and I am making a crab Rangun dip (Mostly no carb) so I can put a big dollup on my plate and eat it with just 1 chip acting as the shovel LOLOLOL. Work today and its a busy day!... Lots of Real Estate Closings that I have to preform and crabby people.. and both other girls in my office out (1 has a doctors apt REALLY??? END OF THE MONTH AND YEAR??? really it was a preset apt and not an emergency... so I have to answer the door too while I am explaining documents to people.. not professional.. but gotta deal).. I hope you all have a wonderful day! :) Tomorrow WILL BE BETTER! (for me!!)

Mara
12-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Sue I will keep my fingers crossed that someone put your bills in the mail. :( I could not fathom taking someone's money. The crab dip sounds amazing! Love those rangoons.

I am all for the down down dance. lol I am at 244.0 this morning.

Hopefully this New Year brings us all a sense of renewed determination, good health, financial stability, and wonderful memories to be made. :)

pnkrckpixikat
12-30-2013, 12:28 PM
pam oh, Idk then. from what I understand since you won't have glucose stores and everything is fueled by fat you shouldn't have that problem but I have only read a couple books, I would talk to your doctor, if they aren't as familiar with HFLC eating maybe they can look into the studies.

marli a week of eating only fruits and veggies, wow, I'm not sure I could do that lol good job!

mara no plans, my hubby works NYE and NYday so we might just go out to dinner and go to bed at our normal time. 244 isn't bad, and some of that will likely flush off just keep it up!

sue yuck! I will cross my fingers for your letter to have been mailed. and a Dr. appt today makes perfect sense, trying to squeeze out as much of the insurance coverage as possible before the 1st of the year.

I am 244.5 which is only slightly up from my 243.0 low so hopefully I will see that tomorrow or the 1st so I can start off the year with no water weight.

thewalrus0
12-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Hello!

Hi all the new people and hello again to the regulars now! I am just hanging around 247.5 and that's okay with me. I'm hoping to get to 245lbs before January 15th so I have time.

I had a cheat day a few days ago and completely enjoyed a bowl of spaghetti, a small bowl of ice cream and a heaping hot cocoa with marshmallows. I filled it with marshmallows so many times I couldn't finish it because I started to feel sick!

But I just love marshmallows and it was a nice break. I think the holidays definitely present more opportunities for cheat meals and cheat days though so I've been trying to stay on my toes.

The biggest issue for me is alcohol. I started drinking and partying very young and only within the past two years have I been able to get my addictions under control. I quit smoking cigarettes and doing drugs but alcohol is the thing I come in contact with the most as my father struggles with alcoholism.

So New Years is going to be an interesting day for me, but I think I can handle it.

I know all of you can overcome whatever it is you're fighting with over the holidays as well! Holidays can be tough for anyone. If it's not food it's alcohol and if it's not alcohol it's family or money or anything really.

pamatga
12-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Time is ticking everyone and 2014 is just around the corner!:hat::dancer::grouphug:

:welcome: em coconut. Me too! I am coco-nut! I just haven't put a name to my "kind of crazy". ;) but I am sure someone else will. :D

walrus: Well said. I couldn't say it any better or as Roseanna Danna used to say on SNL (now, this dates me for sure) "It if itsn't one thing it's another."

mara and pixiekat are the two who are tied here for weight right now from the looks of it. I am still holding some Christmas sodium bloat but by the bathroom quick steps that I have been taking today, I may be changing my ticker tomorrow. We'll see.:D

sue(wannaskipnlaugh): I hate the year end "tying up" that goes on everywhere in business. Everyone is running around like they didn't have the previous week(s) to do it. I mean it's not like we didn't know that this month would eventually end, right? I say there are a lot of procrastinators in this world. I can count myself in that, of course, not to point any fingers because they just come back to me anyway. :soap: :lol:

marliQQ: I did a fruit n vegetable challenge last summer although it wasn't quite as severe as yours. Did you ever cave in to the lemonade or was it just a "stare down"? The one good thing about that is the rest of the food chain really tastes good after doing something like this, doesn't it?:jeno::cookie::cbg::chockiss: I will never forget my first piece of chocolate after not having it a long while. I was in heaven...:cloud9: Now, a day doesn't go by that I don't have one small piece of dark chocolate. :chockiss: It is my one indulgence.

Well, everyone I want to cordially invite you to participate in a structured 8 week weight loss challenge. I just finished posting a long but needed (to explain everything) post. I created a new thread "Moving Forward Structured 8 Wk WL Challenge." It will start one week from today, Monday, January 6th since the weekly weigh ins will be on Mondays. If this interests anyone here whom hasn't shown an interest already please PM with an email address that I can send the excel spreadsheet to that we will use during the 8 week period. It will run concurrently with every 8 weeks starting a new one. I have lead this earlier this year on another site. I award prizes at the end of each 8 weeks for the person who has lost the most weight. It is a friendly competition.

justaloozer
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Welcome Marli and coconut!!

Sue I hope that a good citizen put your items in the mail!

Walrus good luck for New Years! Addictions, as we all know, are hard to battle. But we can do it!

Mara no real plans for New Years. I work at 7am on both New Years Even and New Years. I will probably take a nap tomorrow after work so that I can be awake to bring in the New Year. Hubby (who recently started counting calories!!!!!!!!! :) ) requested a roasted chicken for dinner so we will have that tomorrow. Kids requested apple pie but I might make mini ones in our cupcake tin for smaller portions. Otherwise I may just skip the pie if they don't remember!

AF is still here and I am up to 250.2 today. :( I really hate seeing the same numbers over and over again. I hope she takes a couple of lbs with her when she leaves.

MarliQQ
12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
First day off my veggie/fruit and challenge, and I indulge.....pizza!! :D lol
pamatga you were so right, I'm blaming you for indulging, always good to blame someone else, keeps your confidence up.:p And no, I did not drink the lemonade, some control there.
I am not weighing in until tomorrow, so hopefully since I ate so well for most of the day, pizza won't be a killer....:devil:

Thanks for the greetings :dancer: justaloozer, wannaskipandlaugh, Mara.

thewalrus I can see you making that weight goal, and just out of curiosity, what kind of alcohol is your guilty pleasure??

wannaskipandlaugh
12-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Time to WAVE 2013 goodbye! and what a year we all have had! We have learned alot about ourselves... Met some gosh darn wonderful people (My opinion.. but you all are my life savers and such awesome people!) got thru sadnesses, hardships (some are still in the middle of that.. but there is a light) and had happiness where your soul sang! and (yes) moments of just loving the scale LOLOLOLOL! and moments of yelling at it and wanting to throw it out the window :lol: This new year.. boy what a year it will be for us all! A year of doing things that we were not able to do before! get great grades at school!, maybe make more money at work, have things that like to control us be NOT SO POWERFUL anymore! I cannot wait to watch our journeys this year. It is going to be SOMETHING SPECIAL!

Walrus... Oh I know what you are going thru (mom and sister are Alcoholics... Mom is 35 years sober now! Sister ..no longer on this earth :( ).... I too (besides food trying to fill the sadness and loneliness hole inside me) have a compulsion additiction.. Love to buy things (almost a hoarder here.. but I can live in each of my rooms... well all but my craft room LOL) to just a package by the door... thinking that someone is thinking of me (me it is.. but it still sparks me).. so that is something I have to work on as I make less than 1/2 the income I did 1 year ago and only have $195 a month to spend on food and fun.

PAM... your "will" is a wonder and I would love to start your WLC... But no spreadsheet for me... Is it on this thread? I need all the encouragement I can get and encouraging others helps me so much!

Justa, Pixikat (other Sue), Mara (I know you can!), MarliQQ, Em Coconut, May you all have a wonderful last day of this tremendous year and I AM looking foward to being with you in the next year!... WE CAN DO IT!

Well... I made it to 243's HOORAY! 243.8... SO HAPPY... Next goal 240 so I can say I am Half Way!... I am going to do it and hopefully by my year anniversary Monday the 6th with Tuesday the 7th weigh in! Going try my darndest!

MarliQQ
12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Today was my weekly weigh-in and...drum-roll... :frypan:...that's the best you can do?... :frypan: ...okay...well 234.7!! :celebrate::woo::celebrate:
I had a feeling I did good :)
So I'm moving to the next thread, unless I suddenly have a Godzilla sized binge session :s:.

wannaskipandlaugh I KNOW. I love getting packages too, but I think it's because I love shopping in any form, never thought about it as an addiction though...Even if it was honestly, I wouldn't fight it, I believe that some crazy can be good crazy :dizzy:.

Anyways, I loved lurking and reading everyone's stories for the past week, and wish everyone the best on their journey. I already see that some will be coming with me in a bit as well. :yes: :yes: :yes:

thewalrus0
12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Well, MarliQQ, it's any alcohol really.

And congrats on your weight loss!

pnkrckpixikat
12-31-2013, 07:26 PM
marli CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot: the next thread down is a double decade thread so hopefully we will see you again before you move to the thread after it.

walrus mmmm alcohol... if hubby is off in the morning I may declare tonight good for some sugar free mixed drinks

sue other sue? I'm confused lol

pam did you see a lower number today? I promised my hubby I would make the stuffed potatoes and apple tarts that came with the omaha steaks my mom sent us for Christmas tonight so I will be bouncing back up before aiming for 100% compliance in Jan. Even more so if he is off and we indulge in drinks too lol

I hope everyone has a fun (AND SAFE!!!!) night :)

pamatga
01-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Someone just shared with me that this is the first time in 19 years that the New Year began with a New Moon and that this is supposed to signify "new beginnings." Just thought I would share that one.

I actually read everyone's post yesterday but because I am trying to tie up some loose ends as well as start some new projects, the time just flew by before I had to leave for a commitment and I couldn't respond. That is how it has been for the past several days! Wow!

MarliQQ: :bravo: on making the 230s and so close to the 220s on top of it. It was so nice getting to know, even though briefly, and I know that we will connect again within the month of January.

sue(wannaskipnlaugh): I reread your comment about the WL Challenge and the accompanying spreadsheet. Am I to understand that you want be a spectator but not a participant? If it is a matter of not having Excel on your computer I have given others in the past the program via an email which they then print out and follow. However, if you just want to join the group for encouragement there is a separate thread and it is under Support Groups "Moving Forward Structured 8 WK WL Challenge.". If I can figure out how to C/P a link from that thread to this one (or someone can tell me how) then I will post it here. Otherwise, just put that in the address box and it should come up. You are more than welcome to come and be a part of the discussion and, of course, rooting others on.

I look forward to a busy and productive 2014.

Let's make it a good one! Pam :cp::hat:

P.S. No change in my ticker today. :( Maybe tomorrow. Food plan was really good so it just must be "stuck".

wannaskipandlaugh
01-01-2014, 05:03 PM
PixiKat... I think I had had 2 beers by the time I posted (Look how I rambled!) LOL I know that there is another Sue here...and I appologize for giving you a new name! LOL

PAM... Oh I want to join your challenge.. I am just not very good on computers and will it be okay if I post my weights on my posts? I am only good about adding my weight to attached spread sheets :) LOL well I am 55+ now.. so I get a pass :lol:

OKAY.. Being a silly nut here!

:congrat: to you MARLIQQ.. your stay here was not long.. but (I hope) we will all be joining you soon in the next thread!. SO VERY Happy for you!

Time to get started again.. I still have my short term goal by Tuesday am weigh in (1.7) to get to 240 even (thus 1/2 way on my journey - minus 80 lbs).. SO gonna do all that I can and really stick to my guns!

Read this on my Calendar from last year:

BEGINNINGS: This is the beginning of a new day (year). What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it! When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind..... Let IT be something GOOD!

justaloozer
01-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Marli awesome news!!! Congrats!!

Pam that's awesome (about the new moon). I am determined to be a "new" me before 2015.

I hope everyone had a great New Years!

I am still bouncing around despite eating correctly and exercising. It is sooooo frustrating already. AF just left (yesterday) so I am hoping to come down soon. I weighed in at exactly 250 today.

thewalrus0
01-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

I assessed the damage today and I have stayed the same as my ticker so I guess that's good. I was hoping to be 245lbs by the next semester(January 13) but now I think my period is about to start so I'll just see what happens but I made my initial goal of getting into the 240's during Christmas break so that's good.

I hope everyone is doing well! I am having a tough time with PMS because I just want to eat chocolate and I always get a little panicky around this time because 1) the scale isn't moving and 2) I have increased cravings but usually once my period actually happens I'm fine so I just have to wait for that.

justaloozer
01-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Walrus I used to lose weight during af, usually up to 5lbs! But the past two months I haven't. I was feeling panicky and definitely had cravings for sweets. I hope af is kind to you and you can get through it without going off plan.

I finally broke through the same numbers I was seeing! I am 247.8 today! I hope the scale continues to move downward. We are expecting a huge blizzard here so after work I will roast a giant chicken for dinner!

Have a great day!

Only Believe
01-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone, :wave:
I'm still around and I'm excited for a new year. I left 51.2 lbs back in 2013 and I plan on leaving more than that in 2014. November and December 2013 kicked my butt LOL But that's over and here's to new beginnings :cheer2::dust:
Happy near year to you all. May your goals be reached this year!

Mara
01-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Happy New Year everyone!

Pam that is awesome about the new moon and new year!

I am up still at 244.2, but I indulged on New Year's Eve. I did start the New Year with a bang. I chopped off all of my hair, over 12 inches. It has never been this short. It is like a pixie cut. I am going to donate it to Beautiful Lengths.

Well I am excited about what we are all going to accomplish this year! :D

peachesandcream
01-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Hey Ladies,

I know it's been awhile. Today I assessed my holiday damage. I went up quite a bit to 147 :o. I feel so embarrassed but I'm just getting right back on the horse. It could have been a lot worse- I've gone up as much as 15 pounds during a holiday season in past years. I was trying to maintain- said no to a lot of things but I drank too much alcohol and kept snacking when dishes of things were on the table as I was chatting. I don't care if it gets into the negatives today, I'm going to the gym! I brought my candies that were given to me into my office and I'm sharing them with coworkers instead of binging on them.

Good to hear from you OnlyBelieve.

Have a great day justaloozer and thewalrus. I can totally relate to PMS.

Congrats to MarliQ.

Hey Pixicat and Pamtaga! That's great that you're starting a challenge Pam!

Happy New Year's everyone!

pnkrckpixikat
01-02-2014, 07:20 PM
pam hooray or new beginnings! This year will be a busy one for me, I am hopefully finishing up my bachelors, taking the GMAT, and applying to grad schools with the aim of starting next Jan. I am an assistant site leader for one of my school's Alternative Spring Break trips so lots of planning meetings, then summer classes. I also want to get under 200 pounds and work on my running and strength. My goal is 5 5Ks this year. I have 2 planned and paid for between now and April. I've also been promoted to student lead at work which means 20hrs a week instead of the 13 I worked last semester. Good thing I can study on the clock!

sue nope, not me, I am a Karen lol

justaloozer ah the body! how it likes to screw with us once we discover a pattern. Just stay strong and I am sure you will see a whoosh soon!

thewalrus stay strong! you can do it!

onlybelieve yay I'm glad to see you again!!!

mara that is QUITE a chop!!! I hope you love love love the new haircut! Curious question... did you weigh before and after to see how much 12 inches of hair weighs? I totally would have lol

peaches it could TOTALLY be worse!!!!! and GOOD FOR YOU for giving your candies away! that takes all kind of strength :carrot::carrot::carrot:

I am trying to enjoy the remainder of my break before the psycho semester starts... but I am bored!!!! This has been good for my workout regimine though as I have gone to the gym and also randomly do stuff in the apartment. I wish it was less cold, I would go take pictures... I just got a telephoto lens that needs some testing out!

thewalrus0
01-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Well I think we all had setbacks this holiday season. :P

But I'm doing alright because this morning I was down 1lb!

I think I am PMSing definitely, but one other thing is that I've been over-consuming refined sugar and I cut back a lot yesterday and tried to focus my energy on veggies and stuff.

I also slept pretty well last night and I think sometimes when I'm not sleeping well my body holds on to weight until I finally sleep.

Well I think we can all get back on the horse together. :) Not the same horse because we'd suffocate the poor thing but our own horses. :P

wannaskipandlaugh
01-03-2014, 09:09 AM
LOL Walrus you are so funny... Yep if we were all on the same horse.. it wouldn't be happy...GOOD for you getting rid of a lb (I found part of it! lol)

Only Believe.. well welcome back ... but I know you won't be here long!

Pixikat.. I am so sorry... I won't rename you again! :D Unless I do that IAN diet and have those 2 beers again! lol

Justa.. you will get that groove back again! I know you will

MARA :) WOW cutting your hair! I bet you look GORGEOUS! and so much lighter! I am with Pixikat.. you should have weighed before and after! :) Weeeee New Year new YOU! :)

Peaches.. the holidays and the temptations are tough.. But Hooray.. it is done (except Football games and we are FSU fans.. Monday will be tough!)... so less temptations around us! You will do the Downdowndown dance! :)

Pam - I too like the new moon (every month) You always feel alittle reborn when that happens. LAST Night it was 1 day old in the west and the sliver was just awesome to behold!

Have a GREAT FRIDAY ALL!... May this weekend be full of fun and laughter and NOT TOO MANY TEMPTATIONS!

Mara
01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Peachesandcream don't be embarrassed. It is a new year and we are all going to do awesome!

Pixicat I have my fingers crossed for warmer weather. Hoepfully you get to try out your new lense.

Thewalrus I keep hearing on the news that lack of sleep will make it hard to lose weight and might cause you to gain. And I am back on the horse...just a trying to find my seat. lol

Thanks Sue. The hair is different. Not sure how to style it, correction tame it. lol Hope you have a great weekend too.

peachesandcream
01-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Mara that's right! We'll be kicking butt in 2014.

Wannaskipandlaugh happy Friday to you too!

TheWalrus thanks for making me laugh.

Pixicat that's so awesome for setting specific goals. It got me thinking. I think I will shoot for being under 225 this year and then if I reach that goal I will shoot for being under 200.

Went down a little bit last night (might just be a fluctuation we'll see). I kept feeling so hungry late at night and then couldn't sleep well. I need to focus tonight and go to bed earlier. I think the holidays threw me for a loop.

Happy Friday to all! I hope everyone that's in the northeast stays warm.

pamatga
01-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Is it just me or does having two holidays in the middle of the week play with your head so you don't know what day of the week it is? Well, it has definitely done that with me. I told my DH last night that I will be glad for a "real" weekend and then a 'real' week ahead so I can get back to what day of the week it is.

So, for all of you who either returned to work or school or are just plain loafing:

TGIF!! :cp::hat:

I was finally able to change my ticker. I have waited quite a while for this to happen. We had the traditional ham dinner on New Year's Day along with black-eyed peas, yams and peach cobbler for dessert. I also had two small glasses of Moscato wine with it. I figured that it would take two full days to see something that I wanted to see and, yes, it happened! :woohoo:

Before the New Year began, I decided to have a seasonal goal of losing 28 lbs every quarter. Since I had this "bright":flow1::flow1: idea the night before the Winter Solstice (December 21st) I decided to make a new ticker and celebrate every 5 lbs lost with a seasonal icon. I am so wanting to put a snow person down to show that and I am so close.... so, for anyone else who needs some kind of "motivation" maybe that will help you as well.

I really want to make 2014 the year that I "finish what I started" a few years ago. I have sat on the pot long enough...now it is time to well, y'know..:D

pixiekat: I too have some goals as well. I love to hear your plans. I will definitely be following to see how things turn out for you.

mara: I have done that a couple of times---lopped off a lot of hair. That was a wonderful thing you did in donating it. I now am going thin on the top and now I wish I had some of my former thicker hair back. Who knew? :lol:

peaches Glad to have you back. We all have done our best with the holidays. Think of this way....we have quite a few weeks before the next "tempting" holiday :val1::val2:so let's make that "down time" count!

walrus: You are absolutely correct in that a good night's sleep is essential to losing weight. I joined a sleep challenge last summer and we were asked to keep a sleep journal for the first week. In spite of what I thought I knew about my sleep patterns, I still learned more. I also learned that when I have a good night's sleep, I don't snack as much at night. So, when you feel like snacking at night, your body is really telling you to need to hit the proverbial hay.

Sue(wannaskip): no problem about being computer shy. I saw you over on the challenge thread. I will post the general guidelines each week so you can still follow what you want to get a feel for it. If you ever want to learn some computerese, there are several here who I am sure can show you the ropes. I know enough, not a lot but enough.:D

justaloozer and only believe: glad to see you survived the holidays in one piece and :welcome2: back.

If 2013 taught me anything it was that the one thing missing from my weight loss efforts was CONFIDENCE. I lacked the basic belief in myself that I could do it.

What this taught me was: don't look at the bigger picture at what you want to lose this coming year (I want to lose the rest of my extra weight so that is a huge goal) but to have one good day with your food plan and/or your exercise program and then build on it; one day at a time.

Don't think perfect but think "I will do my best.".Yes, your best is "GOOD ENOUGH!" Don't let anyone else tell you any different.

Here's to having a great day and weekend, Pam :comp::sunny:

justaloozer
01-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Awesome Mara!

5 5ks sounds awesome pnk! I would love to run one.

LOL Walrus!!

Holidays threw me for a loop too peaches. My body is craving sugar and I am trying to cut down.

Pam I like your goal of 28lbs per quarter. Seems manageable!

AFM I am 247.4 today! Looks like the scale is continuing it's trip down. Woohoo!

wannaskipandlaugh
01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Oh I hope that everyone is staying warm! Oh Gosh next week is even going to be colder for Midwest - East.. I hope it only lasts a day or two and then warms up! Cold weather tho... helps burn calories... I remember (from growing up in Chicago and shoveling and heck SHIVERING! LOL)

PAM.. I agree.. these crazy holidays in the middle of the week and getting a partial day off (NY eve) just has screwed with my head too. I am glad to get back to a regular schedule. I do not have a holiday at work untl Memorial Day (Oh a LOOOOONNGGGGGG Stretch) Might have to have a "sick" mental day somewhere there in the middle of that stretch! LOL

Well I had a really good scale reading this morning.. Down to 243.4 (and just reweighed and I was 243.2 but save that for tomorrow and my 5 lbs challenge in another thread!).. I am so licking my chops for the 230's! I feel like I can WILL it to happen ! LOL (Yeah sure.. plan and God laughs! lol) But I will I will I will!

I do hope you all have a terrific and enjoyable Saturday. Its cloudy and will be raining here all day (tho its warm 70 degrees after 50's last night) so I won't complain. Maybe (SNIFF!!) take down the outside Christmas decorations... .. hhmm Gonna really miss the happy colors.. sigh... just 44 more weeks til I can put them up again!

HUGS to all!

Marymar
01-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Hi y'all?

Im new and i weigh exactly 240 lbs. I hope you dont mind me dropping in from time to time?;)

Im doing low carb and counting calories. Greetings!

JennyT
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
I am new to this thread and hoping not to stay too long ;) I am fresh back on WW. Previously losing 75 pounds, having a hysterectomy 2 years ago and using that as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted and not exercise...skip to present day...and I am re-committing :) I have been faithfully tracking since Dec 31 and have peeked at the scale before my weigh in day and it is moving on down yay! Thanks for having me!

wannaskipandlaugh
01-05-2014, 12:09 PM
:welcome2: Marymar and JennyT very glad to have you join us all! I have a feeling Marymar that you are now in the next thread already.. but that is ok.. we will be there soon! and JennyT you won't be here long either and congrats on being recommitted! :) Hooray... This is going to be a great year for you both!

I am a happy camper.. I am down to 242.8 woohoo... just 2.8 lbs away from halfway... sooooo close Oh I can touch it. Sad (well in my head only) thing is.. is on my old scale I am at 228 which is 4 lbs lower than 1/2 way... so I kinda feel like I have made that goal in a way. This is my lowest weight in 10+ years and gee.. I am actually starting to notice in the mirror that my top half is thinner. My tummy does not stick out past my chest anymore (I just noticed it.. but I bet its been hiding for awhile).. Oh I love the NSV's

Its a cold and will be a cold day for alot of you. I hope you all will stay safe and warm and DO NOT touch anything metal! Keep your car happy don't breath in your nose (it sticks shut - I remember as I lived in Chicago for 28 years and lived thru the -27 degrees -67 degrees wind chill and my Camaro was the only car on the whole block that would start.. so of course I had to go to work ggrrr) Keep lots of blankets handy and hug your loves! I will send you all Florida warm (well Monday overnight it will be in the upper 30's) your way!!!!

thewalrus0
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Hope everyone is doing well, I know I am. All my favorite tv shows are coming back this week!

Besides that I've just been hanging around 247, although I've been losing ounces so that's good.

I'm still kind of hoping to see a magical two pound drop, or maybe a pound drop so I can get to 245lb during the first week of the semester.

I started my first day of last semester at 279lbs and I'm proud to be starting this one in the 240's, but man do I want to be on the lower end of the 240's!

On another note I fit into FOUR pairs of size 18's and all of them zipped. Some were a bit tight and I probably wouldn't wear them out yet but just knowing they all zipped was lovely. I'm sure in another 10lbs they'll be fitting really well. All my sizes 20's fit pretty good right out of the wash but by the end of the day they're pretty loose some I'm looking forward to buying a few size 18's!

I have been a tad lazy with my fitness regime. I've been doing like a few Pop pilates moves but normally I do like 20 minutes of yoga and then some hula hooping so I'm going to get back on track today.

For me fitness is really a love hate relationship. I don't even hate it once I'm actually performing the exercise. It's getting started for the day that is so hard. If I'm on the couch in my pajamas with a book in my hand then the idea of changing into workout clothes and all that just sounds so hard even though I know it isn't. Ah well, objects at rest right?

This happens to me for all my hobbies that require practice though. I did a lot of research on habits and learned that the hardest part of doing a new habit daily is starting it, that's why they say you should set your goal as absurdly simple because it'll ease you from being at rest to being in motion and once you're in motion you won't want to stop. Like, your goal could just be to put on your workout clothes. That's it. Usually once you've done that you'll just go ahead and do some exercise.

So, sometimes I just have to remind myself of that.

pamatga
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Hope everyone is trying to stay warm in this unusually frigid temperatures we all are having (yes, including north Georgia where Tuesday overnight lows will be -18!:eek:) I too know what this is "all about" having survived many Minnesota winters in my 'day'. :coffee: Keep the coffee pot on and put on a lot of layers. I saved a down comforter from my MN days and it has come in handy these last several nights.

walrus I think that it is a great measuring stick--what you weighed at the start and end of each semester. I know when I was a student everything was measured by that as well as when winter and summer breaks occurred. Great Job on wearing smaller sizes and "an ounce is an ounce is an ounce". I will take it every time.:D What I used to do (I had read or heard it somewhere at the time) was go to bed with my workout clothes on and my walking shoes by the side of the bed. That habit alone kept me walking 15 miles a week for 7 years without stop. Whatever helps a person get it done is good in my book.:book2:

:welcome: jenny t Glad to hear that you are ready to start a New Year out by working on your weight loss goals.:bravo: It is never too late to start again. :cheer3: Think of the sun. :sunny: It sets in the evening but rises in the morning. For the sun, every day is a new day.

marymar You are sitting right on the fence there! Thanks for checking in with us although I have a feeling you will be here today and probably gone by Tuesday. P.S. Papa John's is having a "2-fer" tonight. :jeno::jeno: :D Shame on me! :lol: Glad to meet you but also hope to be saying "see ya in the next decade thread soon..."

sue(wannaskip) :woohoo: on being a happy camper :cheer3: Glad to hear that the scales is cooperating with all of your efforts. I hear you about milestones. I haven't been in this weight range since 1991. If I get into the 230s then it will have been 1983 since I have seen those numbers. These are historic "times", my friend. Let's run a flag up the pole on this. :candy: (that was the only smilie that was a "pole" :lol:)---always thinking :drool: about something I shouldn't be...;)

justaloozer: WTG GF! :coach::cheer:

For everyone else, keep warm and :goodluck: Pam

Marymar
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi pagatma! Thank you so much for your warm welcome! Imnew so i wasnt aware we have to keep moving on to different threads according to your weight. Regardless i hope to move on soon, but hope to see you there also. I love the snow! Ive lived in europe for 12 years. Now im back in the caribbean and the heat can be quite a nuisance sometimes...:dizzy:

I wish you all the best of luck!

JennyT
01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words :)

wannaskipandlaugh
01-06-2014, 08:53 AM
SHOOT and Rats ... Ate salty food last night at Longhorn Steakhouse.. Boo... tho NO BREAD/POTATOES.. had Parm Chicken and a salad.. that is it!.. But I also did heavier type of exercising (Ladder climbing etc) so maybe muscles are repairing. Gosh... I want that 242 again... Tomorrow reading! :)

How is everyone doing this morning? OOOOO I hope you all are safe and sound. I know that the eastern seaboard is still warm for this moment.. but turning cold later today (us too... we will be down to the upper 30's tonight and I have to cover my parents and My Orchids with sheets... Thank Goodness its only 1 night) Where I went to college (Southern Illinois in Carbondale, IL... it is the coldest right now than it ever...EVER has been!) This is amazing.. ST. LOUIS is below zero... Its so wild... There must be a heat wave somewhere else on this planet. Stay safe please all!... No chapped cheeks or lips!!!! Side note: I bet a bunch of you will have a loss on the scale tomorrow as you will be burning up more calories to stay warm!

Mara
01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Welcome Marymar and JennyT!

Pam great job and getting that ticker to move.

Thewalrus I have been very lax in my exercise too. :( I am pretty sure that is why I keep bouncing up and down on the scale. Need to get back to it despite the cold. Although maybe later this week. lol Today is a high of 10.

Sue way to go!!!! I think you are ahead of me. I did not get to weigh in this morning, but I think I am up.

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe today.

thewalrus0
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Woah! I woke up and weighed expecting to see 247 again, maybe 246 but I met and exceeded my goal of being 245lbs by the start of the next semester!

I'm really happy! :shocksn:

thewalrus0
01-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Mara: oh man, I live in Alaska and sometimes it's crazy cold but lately it's been reasonable but still hovering in the 20's. A bit too cold for a light walk.

I do indoor stuff. I have a little space in the garage where I can practice my hula hoop tricks if I want but I also do pilates and yoga in my bedroom sometimes.

peachesandcream
01-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Hey Ladies!

I weighed in at 246 today. I think my workouts at the gym are paying off. Even though it's only a pound I notice that my thighs feel firmer and more muscle to them. And I finally went bra shopping after my OH accidentally threw mine in the dryer (oy). I got refitted and I'm down from a 44C to 40C! Yay! The girls feel so much better with proper support.

However, my parents sent me home with leftovers from the holidays. I need to stop eating so much of them. It was great because I'm a broke grad student but then I feel like I need to eat them all before they go bad. Now I just tell myself that's stupid to think like that just let it go bad (if it does) and throw it out because it's not worth it....

Nice job with 245 Walrus.

Welcome Marymarand JennyT!

Yay for changing the ticker Pam!

Stay warm everyone! It's been tempting to skip the gym with the temperatures getting in the negatives but I gotta just do it!

justaloozer
01-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi ladies!

WTG on exceeding your goal Walrus!!!!!!!!! Yay on the 18s!!!!!

Welcome mayrmar!

Yay on feeling and looking slimmer peaches!

I am back at 247.8 today after going up to 248.6. I think the scale might bounce back up tomorrow a bit since I didn't eat on point today.

wannaskipandlaugh
01-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Hello all and Justa good for you to get on the downward swing!

I hope all of you are safe and warm! Today will be and is a great day! You CAN control your day (food wise and exercise wise). Just think..... 1 day of being on your plan is 1 less day you will have to do that! and 1 less day to get to goal and live maintaining! :)

Mara
01-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Way to Walrus, Justaloozer, and Peaches! Keep up the losses and firming.

Thanks for the encouragement Sue! I have been having trouble getting back in the groove from the holidays. But I know we can do this. :)

pamatga
01-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Hello everyone! :coffee2:

Well, it sounds like the only one who isn't blinking an eye about this is walrus up there in Anchorage! Well, our overnight low was 8 above zero and that is simply unheard of in Atlanta, GA so we just add another comforter and then "dive in". :lol: I felt like I had to "fight my out" this morning. I had that many "covers" on me.

I too am still eating leftovers from the holidays although I am trying to do "damage control" by eating smaller portions (like 1/2 cup) with each meal. I just can't be wasteful and I certainly don't have to worry about it spoiling since it is probably colder on my front porch than in my refrigerator freezer. You don't even see the squirrels or birds playing in the woods that my home faces. Too da*** cold.

Well, I joined a January exercise challenge in two different groups so I am one "busy" person reporting to them. One is here (I saw you there pixiekat) and another is another group I have belonged to for the past three years. I have managed to alternate my workouts every other day and last Sunday I decided to do one of my favorite stretching dvds from Gaiam. I liked it so well (that's when you find out where the sore muscles are is when you put them through range of motion) so I decided to add two more days.

What is discouraging is the scales is just sitting there looking right back at me. :dz::rolleyes: but nothing is happening! So, I am going to assume it is because I haven't exercised much this past fall or early winter and my body just needs to be nudged a little more before it responds. I will say that I am sleeping better.

So, not much else to report. I so want to put a snow person down for having lost 5 lbs. since I started back staying on track but "close but no cigar or carrot" for my little man. I will just have to be more patient.

Stay warm everyone!

Pam: comp:

JennyT
01-08-2014, 01:32 AM
243.8 at weigh in this morning YAY I love the first week back on track and that whoosh that comes with it, keeps me motivated! Went to hot yoga tonight, accidently took the intermediate class but I kept up pretty good! Holy did I sweat though...wow....

wannaskipandlaugh
01-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Yeah JennyT... Show us the way! :) and hooray for you!

I am getting a cold/virus.. so holding water like the Hoover Dam booo... Oh well.. such is life. If the water retention helps me fight the virus - then that is aok with me. Still 244 on the button.. oh I want to see that 242 again SOON.. Please go away cold... I want to wave Bye Bye. I should be happy tho as most of the people around me have bronchitis or the Flu... I refuse to get it.. so the cold is tolerable (or maybe my imune system is in better fighting shape??!!! hhmmmm something to think about)

I hope you all are doing well, Happy as all get out and Love your Day! I am GRATEFUL for you all!

Mara
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Pam I hear you. I wore fleece pajamas to bed. I woke up with lots of static in my hair. LOL

JennyT way to go!

Sue I hope you get to feeling better soon. I know 242 is around the corner for us both.

I was at 244.8 this morning so I moved my ticker back up a little. I am hopeful to get back to 242 soon. :)

justaloozer
01-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Pam good luck on your challenge. I hate when the same numbers stare back at me on the scale. It really is discouraging!

Keep going Mara! You can do it!

WTG Jenny!

Hope you feel better soon wanna!

AFM I am down to 246.6!! That brings me to a total loss of 69lbs. Just under 7lbs until I reach my half way goal. :D

peachesandcream
01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Hey Everyone!

Best of luck to you Pam! I hope the whoosh fairy comes your way soon. It can be frustrating when the numbers stay the same. Sometimes I look back at old photos and think about all the small things that have improved for me since I started my journey.

Congrats Justaloozer and Jenny! Keep up the good work.

Keep fighting the good fight Mara!

Hope you feel better soon Wanna.

And I'm surprised that I'm down to 243! I think that recognizing that I was trying to eat too big portions of leftovers to prevent food from going to waste and stopping that combined with some intense workouts helped. Many of the leftovers I was having had high sodium and carb content so I think that helped too.

Best wishes everyone!

Goddess Jessica
01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
This thread is a bit too long. I've started a new one here!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/291420-getting-out-240s.html