Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Default Fat/Protien balance?

Hi all, I am just starting atkins, I have read about 3/4ths of the 2002 edition so far so what I am asking may be covered later but I know Atkins is supposed to be high fat and low carb but I am wondering what sort of ratio I should aim for? On another low carb site I read 65/30/5 fat/protein/carbs but I have seen people mention 75 for fat or higher?
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I try for carbs under 20g, protein around 75g and the rest fats. Usually that puts me near 75% fat. But mainly I try to stick to this without constant weighing and measuring so there is a good amount of error and day to day variation. - I try to carefully track, weigh and measure for a few days every couple of weeks (to keep myself honest!).

If you're just starting out I wouldn't worry about it - most people lose just fine without having to get terribly specific just following the diet as written.

I'm in my forties and finding the weight is harder to lose and so I'm paying closer attention and trying to manage a lot of details to make the weight loss come fast enough to keep me motivated. So I'm more dialed in to moderate protein, and watching calories as well as carbs, but most people don't need to do this (and I think I'd still lose if I didn't, but it would be slower and right now I need motivation from seeing the scale move...)
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #3  

Ah... I'm just worried about that whole too much protein can kick you out of ketosis thing. Its hard because I've always liked leaner meats. I'm trying to add butter and heavy cream etc to up my fats while keeping my protein in check but a lot of the stuff I would add normally (cheese, sour cream, heavy cream) has a daily limit in induction.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #4  

It takes around 200 grams of protein to put you out of ketosis so I don't think that is a concern. I'm doing the New Atkins by the book and I find I lose well on 50 grams of carbs, 100+ grams of protein and the remainder fat. It's important to follow the 4 phases of Atkins because Induction does not provide adequate nutrition for the long haul and you need to lean what you can eat and how many carbs.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #5  

Ok cool! thanks! I finished the book but never stumbled across the answer I am around 100-120 grams of protein with the rest fat and 20-25 carbs So this puts my mind at ease
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Actually, from what I've read, protein needs vary - and some people readily convert excess protein to glucose. In the newer Atkins book and the low carb books by Phinney and Volek they give a protein range by height for men and women (you can find via google) and the range is pretty big - some people do best near the bottom of that range (like me) some can tolerate a lot more.

My advice is to go with what you prefer to eat right now, and then if you're not happy with your rate of weight loss you can always fine-tune.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote