Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat November 25 - December 1

BillBlueEyes
11-25-2013, 05:33 AM
It's Thanksgiving week here in the U.S. I congratulate our Canadian friends for having theirs early and getting it out of the way, LOL.

My goal for this week is to control snacking. I do OK at meals, but have been having trouble with open bowls of snack foods. The holidays abound with such.

We'll serve 11 on Thanksgiving, mostly family. Oddly enough, I keep lobbying for more food thinking the proper host offers uber abundance. DW resists thinking about too many leftovers. She controls the kitchen so she's winning so far.

Mudpie
11-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Yes Bill the Canadians take a break between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think your DW is probably right - turkey for many days can get a bit tedious.

I went to see "Catching Fire" - (Hunger Games part 2) yesterday with my cousin's wife and daughters. The outing was my birthday gift to the older daughter. We all enjoyed the movie very much. Jennifer Lawrence (the lead) has that quality that causes the viewer to look only at her when she's on screen.

I gave the girls a wad of money and told them to get whatever snacks they wanted. I made to mistake of having a large popcorn and drink - :yikes:. HUGE! And the combo came with a bag of M & M's and a small plastic "Christmas" figure stuffed with even more candies. I saved that for DH and made considerable inroads on my snacks.

I'm not going to step on the scale until Wed. - I figure the salt and sugar bloat will be gone by then.

Good Luck to all the Americans during the start of the "Eating Season" this week!

Dagmar :sumo:

saef
11-25-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm here at my mother's house in Upstate NY, at my laptop, where I'll be working all week training our new hires and attending meetings and trying to finish up some writing assignments before the holiday.

Having driven up from a snowless area, I forgot about intermittent snow squalls and how they can mess up the best-laid plans. Like this morning, when I thought I'd make a 5:45 AM spin class at a nearby gym. But the village plows haven't run through yet and the snowfall overnight is still on the ground. So I'm not going anywhere just now. I'll have to head to the gym after work, unfortunately, when it's at its most crowded.

paperclippy
11-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Dagmar, I am not a gamer myself, but I think you can get Final Fantasy for PS3. I played one of them once and enjoyed it. If you're not 100% set on PS3, the xbox also can stream netflix and you can get kinect for it if you want to do fitness games.

It was not me who did the tough mudder, but someone on here did!

Bill, I also like to offer an abundance of food. If your DW doesn't want leftovers she can buy some cheap disposable tupperware and send the leftovers home with your guests! I am certainly hoping that MIL got a big enough turkey that DH and I can take home a lot of turkey meat. I love Thanksgiving leftovers and can never have enough. See the recipes sticky for my favorite turkey mushroom casserole!

Saef, good luck dealing with all the snow. We somehow managed to have our first snow of the season in early October, and then thunderstorms and tornadoes last week. :?: Now it's just cold though.

Weekend was a mixed bag with the babies. We attempted a couple naptime things that didn't turn out so well (one was letting them cry for a few minutes, which totally didn't work, the other was putting A down without her swaddle, which also totally didn't work). On the other hand we got a good feeding schedule going, DH put up a piece of cardboard in their nursery window which blocks out the light really well so they can nap better, and they seem to finally be getting on board with the eat-play-sleep schedule. On the other other hand A was up very upset at 11pm the night before last and needed an extra feeding to go back to sleep, and then C was up very upset at 11pm last night and needed an extra feeding to go back to sleep. With the exception of last night though, C has been napping and sleeping very well. I think maybe A just needs to gain a little more weight to help her sleep, since C is half a pound heavier right now.

I think if we can get them into a reliable eating and nap schedule during the day this week, then maybe we can work on weaning off their swaddles. They're not rolling yet so it's not urgent that we stop swaddling, but they're outgrowing their swaddle sacks and they're already in the largest size they make!

ICUwishing
11-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Megan - I will be wishing good thoughts for Emma today; good luck at the vet's!

Jessica - hang in there! Cardboard sounds like a great idea - no molding damage, can go in and out easily, and with winter approaching, hey - anything that blocks a chill off a window is a good thing. :) I certainly was reminded of that this morning, with a wind chill of 7F ...

saef, I too have already had some plans interrupted by squalls. It further solidifies my ambition to be a "snowbird" when I grow up. :D

Bill, we run into the same problems with constantly open and available snacky items. I need to learn to leave a veggie tray out.

Dagmar, Wednesday sounds about right. I've heard enough about the Hunger Games movies to be inspired to Netflix the first one. I don't think I've been to a movie since ... yeah, could be ... the last Star Trek movie? :eek: Pretty sad, I know. Put me in the Xbox category too - the Kinect is a hoot!

Should be a fast week for me. Swimming tonight, tomorrow is the massive wreath distribution, Wednesday should be an early-out from work and more swimming, Thursday at the inlaws, and the rest of the weekend looks clear :woohoo:. Hard to believe that next Monday is December 2!

alinnell
11-25-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm on track with the Thanksgiving schedule. I made to-do lists for each day and tackled a few things yesterday which will allow me to relax a bit now.

It was Michele who did the Tough Mudder. There are other races out there that aren't as hard as the TM but still include mud and obstacle courses (and some have zombies).

We saw Catching Fire on Saturday and loved it! We went out and shared a thin crust pizza before so we didn't need any snacks.

I hope all goes well with Emma, Megan! Let us know what the vet says.

A couple of weeks ago I was really worried about Chico--thinking we'd be lucky to have him here for Thanksgiving and that it was probably going to be a sad Christmas. He was refusing food (even home cooked) and was acting sad. A few trips to the pet store and a huge and expensive order from My Perfect Pet and he's like a new dog! This food is amazing. Misty is really jealous that she isn't getting any. Well, I do give her a little as a topper and she gets to lick his bowl when he's done. I'm happy I found it although my wallet isn't!

Shannon in ATL
11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanksgiving week already... Whew.

Bill - less leftovers are good. Unless they are high protein, turkey leftovers. Sadly, mine always end up being things like pie.

Saef - did you run your race?

It was Michele who ran the Tough Mudder.

Megan - thinking good thoughts for you and for Emma.

Allison - the egg and bacon prep seems odd to me. Hope the revision turns out well. :)

Becky - have you recovered from the food color yet?

Jessica - a little weight gain might help A, I agree. I hope so. :)

Dagmar - most RPGs are single player. Are you looking for something you can both play at the same time? How about some of the Lego games? They are two player, and lots of fun. Epic Mickey,

I'm tired and hormonal this week. Great way to start a busy holiday season. We did put our inside Christmas decorations this week - DH made the point that Thanksgiving is late this year, so waiting until afterwards shortens the pre-Christmas decoration celebrating by a whole week. So, decorations up a week early. :)

paperclippy
11-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Megan, sorry I missed commenting on your post -- I am also thinking good thoughts for Emma. I know how tough it is to have your fur-baby unwell. :hug:

Shannon, it is a mystery to me how A gains any weight at all given that she basically seems like she spits up her entire feeding every single time! :lol:

Shannon in ATL
11-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Jessica - DSS gained weight as an infant, even with spitting up or refusing everything. Still gains today, wen he only eats about five different foods and we have to force those. I don't understand it at all. :)

gardenerjoy
11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
I've somehow managed to create a busy holiday week even though the actual holiday part is at the sister-in-law's house. But I have a plan in place. Time to work that plan!

saef
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Indeed, I did run my race, in spite of the temperatures dropping to 23 degrees and some 8 mph wind blasts. Even in thermal running tights, the fronts of my thighs and my shins felt like they'd iced over. And the little paper cups of water froze into solid blocks on the table, except the one I picked up, which just had a film of sharp-edged ice on the top. Despite the cold, there were over 4,000 of us running in the Park. I did the four miles in 43:35, with a net pace of about 10:54 per mile. I'd been hoping to run a 10-minute mile or less, and maybe one day I will, but I didn't on Sunday.

Shannon in ATL
11-25-2013, 03:04 PM
That is great, Saef! I'd say getting out in 23 degrees is a victory in itself. :)

ICUwishing
11-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Saef - ditto Shannon! Iced-over cups? Good grief - I think you should get a medal just for getting out there! :brr:

CherryPie99
11-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi all!

Just wanted to stop in and say HI even though I don't have much to add to the conversation!

I am hurting for Megan and Allison - we lost my Rottweiller, Riker on December 1 a few years ago and so that anniversary is coming up. Plus, after just losing Ezri, any time I hear about a sick beloved pet, my chest just tightens up. I hope there is a miraculous rally coming!!

I will be running a Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning. Fortunately it is a short 5K, because they are calling for temps in the upper teens. YUCK. On the bright side it might get my fat butt running faster in an effort to get it over with!

Saef - welcome back to the frozen Northern NY. You might not have missed us, but we've missed you!

I am cruising along more at peace with myself then I have been since entering maintenance. My weight is exactly where I like it and I've been working on flexibility when it comes to my day to day schedule. I'm not there yet, but I'm pretty happy with where I am.

Happy Monday all!

Jen

Shannon in ATL
11-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I missed the registration for my 10k I've done the last two Thanksgiving days. I could register in person, but the race this year is apparently trying to beat some kind of world record for registration. I don't know that I want to hassle with that, so maybe I'll take the day off instead. LOL

traveling michele
11-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, it was I who did the tough mudder. I did it because it was a challenge and it was mostly fun. You can choose to skip obstacles and if I ever do it again I will skip the electric shock obstacles!

Allison, I'm glad Chico is loving his food!

Jessica.... Hang in there! When I lived in Houston, I was in a babysitting coop. We had a set of triplets in the group. I was so exhausted and stressed whenever I watched them! We also had a set of "triplets the hard way". This mom had a singleton, got preggo with twins a few months later, and the twins were three months early. So, she had three babies under a year! They struggled for years and had a lot of help from their church. I would advise good birth control to you!

Hello to everyone else.

Saef... I'm cold just thinking about your race!

alinnell
11-25-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm also doing a 5k on Thanksgiving morning. We've done the Turkey Trot at least twice before. This one is for a different organization and can't use the Turkey Trot name but it's closer to home and therefore more convenient.

I'm off in a few minutes to go pick up my 92 year old dad from the airport. My SIL dropped him off (got special approval to accompany him to the gate) and she called and said that I've got to check in at the ticket counter to get my clearance to go meet him at the gate because he refused wheelchair transport (he had it in SLC but refused it here). It's not a big airport but he doesn't walk well, doesn't see well and also packed his hearing aids in his luggage. My sister and BIL arrive later tonight (but they're renting a car).

My SIL also announced that they're leaving early on Wednesday and therefore will be at my house for dinner (hadn't planned on that but I'll work it out).

Chico is like a new dog. He has so much energy and he doesn't act sick at all. Just a couple of weeks ago I was so sad, thinking he'd be lucky to make it to Thanksgiving and offering no hope that he'd make it to Christmas. With this new food I guess anything is possible!

CherryPie99
11-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Chico is like a new dog. He has so much energy and he doesn't act sick at all. Just a couple of weeks ago I was so sad, thinking he'd be lucky to make it to Thanksgiving and offering no hope that he'd make it to Christmas. With this new food I guess anything is possible!

OMG this just made my day!!!!!

Megan1982
11-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi all,
At the vet we discovered Emma has lost 7 lbs in the last 2 months and her x-rays showed something potentially strange in her intestines, but the vet said it was really hard to tell if "it" was anything or not. I'm going to drop Emma off tomorrow morning for a few hours to get a barium test to get a better look at it and decide if "it" is just poop or something foreign (guess I will go to work for a bit, ha). The area was up under her ribs so the vet tried but couldn't feel if there was anything unusual there. If there's nothing there we will discuss trying one more antibiotic or going to steroids. I almost want there to be something, so then we'd know what the heck was causing this. Last night was a great night with only one middle of the night outing. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words and concern everyone. I know she's "just" a dog, but as I don't have kids and am something of a homebody she is my baby and constant companion.

Saturday morning at about 4 am while I was in the yard with the dog for the 4th time that night/morning, I thought perhaps this was just a teensy tiny taste of motherhood, and I had great sympathy for you Jessica. ;)

In good news BF's job is really working out well. He is helping a man who services and tests fire equipment for volunteer fire dept's, and has a lot of work piled up. BF met him while this guy was servicing his own volunteer fire dept's gear. He likes it and thinks this will last him through the winter, maybe almost to next year's charter season. If it does this means much steadier work than the usual odd jobs and few week stints he finds in the off-season.

Michele, did you pay a registration fee for this electric shock treatment? lol. I hear there are ice water pools, too. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

Shannon, you could run your own personal 5 or 10k. No registration fee needed. I was very excited I got my Christmas lights up early this year, but I guess you're right - really they're just on time. Still, on time is an improvement, usually they're up late. :p Now to start Christmas shopping...

Jen, I'm glad you're feeling more peace with your maintenance. Brrr, GL running that 5K in record time so you can get out of the cold!

Jessica, I'm glad the girls have made some progress getting on schedules. I'm pulling for Allison to gain that half pound!

Saef, be careful out there. Will you be affected by this storm that I hear is moving through the northeast tomorrow?

Allison, I'm so glad this new food is giving Chico so much more energy! That is so great to hear.

The timer is going off for my pork chops. Have a good night all!

alinnell
11-25-2013, 08:52 PM
OMG this just made my day!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

Hi all,
At the vet we discovered Emma has lost 7 lbs in the last 2 months and her x-rays showed something potentially strange in her intestines, but the vet said it was really hard to tell if "it" was anything or not. I'm going to drop Emma off tomorrow morning for a few hours to get a barium test to get a better look at it and decide if "it" is just poop or something foreign (guess I will go to work for a bit, ha). The area was up under her ribs so the vet tried but couldn't feel if there was anything unusual there. If there's nothing there we will discuss trying one more antibiotic or going to steroids. I almost want there to be something, so then we'd know what the heck was causing this. Last night was a great night with only one middle of the night outing. I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words and concern everyone. I know she's "just" a dog, but as I don't have kids and am something of a homebody she is my baby and constant companion.

Hoping they find something that can be easily taken care of (i.e. a sock or something that she ate? Granted it often needs surgery if she hasn't passed it on her own, but really, really, really hoping it is something benign like that. We don't need another dog with cancer.

traveling michele
11-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Megan-- I understand you wanting something to be there. When I worked for vets we saw the strangest things inside dogs. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems for Emma. Keep us posted!

Yes, I paid to do the Tough Mudder. The money goes to Wounded Warriors so it's all for a good cause. This year we signed up and didn't do it due to hubby's knees, so it was entirely a donation.

Allison-- what kind of food is it? I might want to try it with Jozi at some point.

Mudpie
11-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Megan My own dog and three others who I've looked after over the years had to have abdominal surgery to remove things they'd swallowed. My dog had pieces of a pink sponge rubber ball and a stick with twine wrapped around it inside her. Since neither of these items were from our household I can only think that someone let her out while I wasn't home and she went "cruising" in a neighbour's yard. The other dogs had things ranging from rocks to socks to a washcloth, bra, and panties (all in the same dog).

Everyone came through their surgeries with no aftereffects (except those on their owners wallets (:eek: :faint:).

Dagmar :D

BillBlueEyes
11-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Sending supportive thoughts to the dogs who are suffering. Megan, I hope you create a joyous micro-Thanksgiving affair to remember.

Last night I helped DW put the leaves in the dining room table for the 11 of us. I'm working my head to fight the notion that a big family affair means not having to monitor what I eat.

ICUwishing
11-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Allison, count me in among those rooting for Chico's rejuvenation! I'm glad to hear you found something he finds yummy. There's a product advertised here called Dinovite - supposed to have a lot of natural digestive enzymes in it. Sounds like it's great for dogs with allergies more than anything else, but the concept is good.

Megan, hugs to you and Emma. You don't ever have to use "just a dog" with me (or anyone else here, I think!) - they are all warm, loving lifeforms under our stewardship and deserve every bit of emotional attachment our family gets. Darn right it's similar to parenthood!

Bill, I strive simply for awareness. And I make sure that the green salad is next to my plate when dinner starts, so I can load up and plug my plate. This year, we're going to the inlaws, so there will be a bit more alcohol involved (out of necessity). :D

Tonight, DS's swing choir group does the unloading and sorting of the wreath orders for their big fundraiser. They will move about $22K worth of live wreaths, garland, grave blankets, etc. I'm curious to see how all this works. I'm sure we will be tired and very sticky from the sap when it's all over.

Megan1982
11-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks all. Emma is at the vet right now so I came to work (conveniently 2 minutes from vet) for a few hours. It's raining cats and dogs here, but I think some of you are getting ice and snow. Stay safe if you are moving around today everyone!

I've been watching and hearing ads for Black Friday. I wonder how anyone could possibly know right now what they are buying for people to be organized enough to take advantage of the day, at least in person. I'm more of an online shopper myself since I hate crowds. This Friday we do have a downtown marketplace in our little town's center and Santa comes to town on a shrimp boat. The stores are open late. With how small we are, even a packed downtown is do-able. Usually some of us walk around caroling so... not sure what will be going on Friday, but if I can I will carol and maybe try to do some shopping. We pass a hat and collect money for a deserving local cause. In the past it's been Toys for Tots or the Food Pantry.

I ate way too much at my office's Thanksgiving lunch yesterday. I tried to compensate with a light dinner when I did get hungry, but the gross feeling in my stomach was there for several hours. Yes, mindfullness and awareness, Bill and Becky, I'm struggling too. I actually genuinely don't like that stuffed feeling. I will try to help myself to smaller portions on the actual Thanksgiving day, and it's business as usual at home. :dust: (Becky, as I now will be eating w much of BF's family, alcohol will also be involved for medicinal purposes. I understand. It's not an excuse, it's a necessity. ;))

Yes, Allison, what kind of food is Chico eating? My parents lab is nearing 12. He is doing well for a big dog his age but we all know he's an old man. I think he might deserve some of this good stuff in his stocking.

Becky, GL with all the wreath unloading. Sounds like an excellent practice in functional fitness.

Saef how is it going upstate?

Off to get some work done. I'll report back later on Emma. Have a good, and safe, day everyone. :)

alinnell
11-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Allison-- what kind of food is it? I might want to try it with Jozi at some point. It's called My Perfect Pet and is made in Poway and shipped overnight (they only ship Monday-Thursday). It's really expensive as you have to buy a large amount (unless your local store carries it and then you can buy smaller quantities). A bag of 7 bars or a two-pack of a different kind would be the smallest amount to buy if your store carried it. I ordered directly and had to get 6 bags of the bars and four two-packs. It'll last a few more weeks, though. (It is stored in the freezer.)

Last night was no fun. I got my dad home from the airport and we had a nice dinner. My sister and BIL arrived around 10 PM and we went straight to bed. Around 2 AM I heard someone get up and a few minutes later my BIL called for me. My sister is diabetic and she didn't eat dinner (they said they were going to stop for a sandwich on the way here from the airport but I guess they didn't). Anyway, she had an insulin reaction (low blood sugar) and BIL couldn't rouse her to get her to drink orange juice. I ended up calling 911 and then dealing with all that. In the end, she had part of a bag of something sugary, drank some OJ and then ate a PB&J and refused transport to the ER (by this time she was up and talking so it was okay). I got back in bed around 2:45 and never got back to sleep. It's going to be a long day.

gardenerjoy
11-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Wishing well for all the pets this holiday -- and everyone else!

I'm going to bake bread this morning for stuffing and, otherwise, expect a normal OP day. I have two slices of bread written on my plan because I don't expect to have fresh bread in the house without eating some, but if I stick to two, I'll be fine!

paperclippy
11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Megan, I also kind of hope the scan turns up something for Emma! Maybe she just ate something funny out on a walk and it got stuck inside. My parents' last dog had to have intestinal surgery when he was a puppy and he lived another 10 years afterward! (His was a birth defect, but still, it was major surgery.) A friend of mine has a dog who is having surgery today because he ate the strap off her purse.

Allison, sounds like a rough night! Glad Chico is doing better though.

Michele, LOL, don't worry, at my next OB appointment I am going to ask her about if I were to get pregnant again, what my chances would be of having multiples again, and what my chances would be of having pre-eclampsia again. I am looking at alternate non-hormonal forms of birth control but haven't decided anything yet. To be honest right now with dealing with the twins all day and night our birth control method is abstinence. :o Neither of us has the energy for intimacy right now!

I don't usually do black friday shopping but our laptop is failing and I need a new one. I think I will probably stick with online shopping. Anyone have a laptop they love and would recommend?

Relatedly I'm thinking about getting DH a new phone for his birthday. We use TMobile and currently have a MyTouch Q, but it's old and outdated software and unreliable. I'd like to get him something with a slider physical keyboard but the options are pretty slim. He hates touch typing because his fingers are too big to hit the letters reliably. Any suggestions?

alinnell
11-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Jessica~smart phones these days have a cool new way to text--it's called Swype. You don't actually punch each letter but put your finger on the first letter and them swipe from letter to letter to form the word. It's pretty accurate, too and can figure out what word you're going for even if you misspell it. I have a Motorola Droid Maxx which I love because the battery lasts two days (my old phone would die half way through the day).

As for a laptop, I love my MacBook Pro. My sister recently got a new laptop and absolutely HATES Windows 8.

silverbirch
11-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Jessica

Laptop - MacBook Air. The Pro is nice but it's a bit big to be cuddly.

Phone - a bit difficult. If you find a good answer please tell me. I've always had a BlackBerry for the physical keyboard. I have a BlackBerry Bold (also some touchscreen) at the moment which is getting elderly. There is the newish BlackBerry Q10 but I feel cautious because of what's happening with the company. I don't get along at all well with the touchscreen phones. I really don't think they're for serious work at all. We're all in the same boat: me, Obama and all those other BB users. Where to go next? BlackBerry doesn't seem to understand that the serious physical keyboard is its USP.

Love and best wishes to all dogs, cats and other poorly animals. And their owners. And also to all humans who are feeling rough or are seriously ill - you know who you are. :) :hug:

krampus
11-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Sending good wishes to all the people and pets on this thread! I have relatively nothing of interest going on - trying to get lots of sleep to ward off a head cold, worrying about the overnight freezing rain turning the Turkey Trot into the Turkey Grievous Face Injury Event, and looking forward to a quiet Thanksgiving at my parents' house.

In cat news, Rusty is less scabby than ever and is cute as ever, and we've found Feliway to be a godsend for Lucy - she's made the transformation from standoffish snob to cuddly calm cat.

Megan1982
11-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Emma update: Nothing foreign inside of her. We're back to the "bad" bacterial overgrowth theory. The vet walked her around and looked at what came out, and said it looked "semi-solid so maybe we're on the right track" with her Rx food. Of course she couldn't get Emma to go anymore. I took her home and she went 2x more for me, though she's only gone 4x today, so that is an improvement... but she didn't have breakfast. The vet tried one shot of another antibiotic that might help, and if Emma improves overnight, I can pick up more tomorrow. We'll continue w the Rx dog food. After a terrible night w many outings Friday night, the last 3 nights have only included 1 middle of night outing which could be progress. So........:crossed: That's really all I know to do at this point.

I'm talking about my "kid's" poop. I'm definitely a mom.

Krampus, I'm glad Rusty's scabs are going away and Feliway's attitude has improved! Yay for happy and healthy pets.

alinnell
11-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm talking about my "kid's" poop. I'm definitely a mom.

On my Labrador chat board poop is a constant topic of discussion.

Mudpie
11-26-2013, 03:41 PM
On my Labrador chat board poop is a constant topic of discussion.

It's a really cheap readily available :lol: way to check your pets' general health and can be the first indicator that something is amiss (before it turns into something major).

My apologies to the non-pet owners. Talk about your children's poop if you like (though admitting you look through it is kinda weird :p). My grandmother used to do that with my male cousin - 2 years older than me. He wasn't allowed to flush :barf: until Memme had had a look see. I constantly used that as a stick with which to prod him. :devil:

Dagmar :cool:

JayEll
11-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Oh, I wouldn't want to be left out of oversharing. My cat didn't do his usual in the catbox yesterday morning, and from previous experience I knew that could mean his anal glands were backed up. Awhile back he had to be on antibiotics and painkillers because of badly impacted and infected anal glands, and that was no fun. Now he has to have them checked from time to time.

I made an appointment for today, and then I took him out for a walk on a leash, because he enjoys going outside and marking his territory by pissing. (He is neutered, so no spraying.)

Well, he did so, and he really needed to go! Must have pissed for 20 seconds. But then, as we were walking back across the lawn, he heard a call of a different nature and proceeded to sh*t on the grass. He's never done that. This meant that after I took him in, I had to go back out and pick it up!

So, today he had a normal bathroom production, complete with well-formed sh*t. However, I still took him in to the vet. And yes, it turned out his anal glands did need to expressed--very full--but there was no sign of infection.

How's that? Am I fitting in? :D

Shannon in ATL
11-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Good job, Jay! Your post is perfectly timed for me, as it reminded me that I need to take my cat to the vet for that same anal gland expression. She hasn't shown any signs, but I've learned that if I don't do it regularly then I regret it. And while I was taught how to do it, I will never make that a DIY project.

alinnell
11-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Jay~when Ringo was having his latest bout of bladder problems, the vet put him on blood pressure medication. When she explained it, I understood 1) why she put him on it and 2) why something happened. 1) it relaxes the sphincter muscles to make it easier for him to pee. 2) That explains why one morning he was in the litter box peeing and he passed stool as well! (Cats and dogs don't generally do both together, but the relaxed sphincter allowed it!)

BillBlueEyes
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Why, yes, this is helpful.

[I don't think I'll want to want to eat for a week.]

Shannon in ATL
11-26-2013, 05:00 PM
LOL Bill

Mudpie
11-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Why, yes, this is helpful.

[I don't think I'll want to want to eat for a week.]

Unfortunately this is all a big part of my day - every day. I wish it would act as an appetite suppressant but there are much, much worse things.

Aren't you all glad I don't share as much as I could? :barf: :faint:

Dagmar :rofl:

saef
11-26-2013, 06:58 PM
[Backs quietly out of the thread after looking in briefly at the end of a long work day.]

JayEll
11-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Shannon, it isn't going to be my DIY project either! One has to draw the line.

Mudpie
11-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Shannon, it isn't going to be my DIY project either! One has to draw the line.

Again I will refrain from oversharing, just point out that the anal glands are most animals' major marking organ :faint:

Dagmar :lol3:

Mudpie
11-27-2013, 05:35 AM
I'm off to my last petsit of 2013 this evening. This will be the first time I'm away from DH and the cats after our move into this house. I think the cats will be fine. DH? I'm more worried about him. But I can't babysit a 52-year old adult.

Dagmar :(

BillBlueEyes
11-27-2013, 05:44 AM
It's raining hard.

I have a dentist appointment in two hours.

I had planned to walk there - always do.

This early, there will be ample parking right at the door.

I own rain gear and umbrellas.

To wimp or not to wimp; A decision must be made.

Megan1982
11-27-2013, 08:46 AM
:rofl:

Not-so-subtle hint taken.

I ate some chocolate out of the candy dish at work yesterday. Sigh. I must have crammed 4 cups of spinach in my pumpkin pie smoothie this AM to try and compensate.

Bill, what decision did you make? I wouldn't judge you for driving.

Saef is already in upstate NY. Is anyone else traveling today? Safe travels to all those who are.

gardenerjoy
11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't own a pet. Can I still stay here? Very amused this morning!

And I will spend the day wondering whether BillBlueEyes walked or drove. We could start a pool. I'm going to bet "walk" because he wrote about it here.

I have a busy day scheduled including making my own stuffing, even though someone else is making it for the big day. Mine is tastier and healthier. I can skip the stuffing tomorrow, without feeling deprived. I used to overeat it, as if, somehow, eating too much would make up for it not being that good.

Megan1982
11-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm at the office today. There are quite a few of us here, though I'm sure some will leave early. I'm committing myself to moving this afternoon. Even though it's cold and windy, Emma is a lot perkier so I think she'll be up for a walk later before I make the single apple pie I'm making. If not, some yoga at home would be nice. I will whip up real whipped cream tomorrow to bring with it, and bring two bottles of decent red wine with us as hostess gift for BF's sister. I will not bring pie home with me.

My sis wasn't sure if they would travel to my parents yesterday or today. I will skype with them tomorrow, but I'd hoped if they had arrived and gotten the girls settled in we might skype tonight, too. We'll see. Her girls are still young enough that it's tough to travel with them, as they won't sleep in the car.

Allison is preparing for her feast and spending time with assorted family members today. Joy is cooking healthier stuffing - good plan! Stuffing is my favorite, too, but if it's not delicious it isn't worth the calories. Jessica is taking the day off to help DH with the girls, I think? And getting ready to go over the river and through the woods to MIL's house tomorrow. Becky is unloading a bunch of wreaths. Saef is upstate with her Mom. Did you get out to the gym yesterday?

Dagmar, hope you're having a nice Wednesday on your dogsit, too! It makes so much more sense to me to have a bigger separation between the holidays as in Canada. In the US Thanksgiving is the kickoff to the holiday season, although stores are so competitive they don't even wait for Thanksgiving to roll out their sales anymore. It makes me cynical instead of appreciating what the season is really about.

Good luck on your cooking preparations and traveling, everyone. And dental appointments and dogsits. ;)

traveling michele
11-27-2013, 10:22 AM
If I was Bill, I'd have driven. Did you?

Older dd home now with service dog. Quite a reunion last night! Younger dd will be home tonight.

Hanukkah starts tonight. I had trouble finding candles as I don't think stores realized Hanukkah was so early this year.

Today's plan is the chiropractor, bikram yoga, Catching Fire and sushi with dd.

Mudpie
11-27-2013, 04:54 PM
It's raining hard.

I have a dentist appointment in two hours.

I had planned to walk there - always do.

This early, there will be ample parking right at the door.

I own rain gear and umbrellas.

And what did you do Bill?

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Mudpie
11-27-2013, 05:02 PM
I have a nice separation between thanksgiving and Christmas but I have a THIRD "season" which seems to have started today. Pet sitting is notoriously busy at the holiday season and it seems I will be quite :crazy: for the next 3 weeks.

Just today I booked 2 extra dogs on walks for the next 2 weeks, an extra dog sit of one night with a dinner walk the day before, 14 days catsit, double walks for 3 dogs in February, a petsit in MAY 2014, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I will constantly say "money, money" to myself tonite as I feel sorry for myself for having so much piled on me at once. I will not buy jelly beans (the once a week binge food lately) or drink a couple of beers to cheer myself up. Both things, whether separately or together :barf:, will have a hugely negative effect on my quality of sleep tonite.

Tomorrow I will realize that this is all going to be over the week BEFORE Christmas and that the actual holiday week will be nice and quiet.

Unless the living room ceiling falls down. I love my house but it IS old and there ARE things constantly breaking. I have to learn to deal with the disruption and with never having everything "done".

Dagmar :tired:

BillBlueEyes
11-27-2013, 05:48 PM

I walked. No way could I take the car after setting myself up here.

The wind was strong enough that I had to take down the umbrella and let the Gore-Tex hood handle the blowing water. Not a problem in execution, just in anticipation.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and First Day of Hanukkah everybody.

(I have these memories as a kid getting a lollipop when I went to the dentist. Are those memories real or a bad dream? Is that why I still have cavities?)

Shannon in ATL
11-27-2013, 06:22 PM
They are real, Bill. I used to get lollipops at the dentist too. And usually a toothbrush and tube of toothpaste. Now it is just the brush and paste, usually with floss and rinse. DSS gets a sticker, but grownups don't get those from our dentist. Good job walking there. :)

neurodoc
11-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Haven't posted here this week at all. Tonight was the first night of Chanukah, which was pretty underwhelming because we're so focused on T-giving tomorrow. We lit a candle, said blessings and Skyped with my folks, who "gave" the kids their gifts by watching them unwrap what they sent. Tomorrow. we will have DH's dad and step-mom, his brother from San Francisco, and several family friends at our table. Thankfully, we're holding it pot-luck style so we only have to make part of the meal, and step-mom is bringing the latkes, so I don't have to make them - a huge bonus since I hate both the grating and the frying. This year, for the first time, I going to try to make the turkey by spatchcocking it (what a ridiculous word that is), hoping it will both cut down on cooking time and result in more even doneness. Martha Stewart, here I come.

BillBlueEyes
11-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks, neurodoc, for the new word, spatchcock (http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-spatchcock-cook-turkey-thanksgiving-fast-easy-way-spatchcocked.html). Let us know how it turns out. The even cooking part appeals to me.

I'm up early to attack the to-do list assigned to me before the guests arrive that attempts to make our house look like nobody lives here. Little things like my huge stack of unsorted mail on the kitchen table are declared unacceptable. If I knew what to do with it, it wouldn't be there, LOL.

silverbirch
11-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Little things like my huge stack of unsorted mail on the kitchen table are declared unacceptable.

#strict

Have a lovely day, Americans. Feel the joy.

spatchcock

Abbreviation of 'dispatch cook', food prepared in an emergency ... So you can use it to mean inserted, squeezed in etc. Strangely, that isn't the picture I've been putting together of the American Thanksgiving food preparations. :)

gardenerjoy
11-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks BillBlueEyes for the spatchcock link, neurodoc for the new word, and silverbirch for the etymology. Julia Child called this "butterflied." I've done it with chickens but not a turkey. Can't wait to hear how this worked for you, neurodoc.

I'm off to watch a bit of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on TV before our day.

Shannon in ATL
11-28-2013, 04:19 PM
I have a friend who was going to spatchcock her turkey this year, so I learned the word last week.

Bill - i have a huge wooden mail sorter to alleviate large stacks of unsorted mail. Now I have mail that has been crammed in the sorter for over a year.

Happy Thanksgiving and Chanukah, all.

krampus
11-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I learned a new word today!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I didn't travel - my parents have a quiet dinner with just the three of us and I live about 15 minutes from their house, so it was a quick hop across the river after running the Turkey Trot this morning. Dinner was the exact same food we've been having for 20+ years - with the addition of cranberry sauce for the first time! I hadn't eaten at all prior to dinner today, and I probably ate about a normal day's worth of food and dessert.

neurodoc - glad you missed having to fry the latkes, I learned last year that latke smell takes a week to get out and permeates just about everything!

traveling michele
11-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Happy Hanukkah and thanksgiving all! We lit the Hanukkah candles last night and I had a very blond moment. We couldn't remember one of the prayers and my dd told me to look on the box. I couldn't figure out how the matchbox was going to help! They meant the candle box which has the prayers on it!

Dh and dd are handling the big dinner tonight. It smells amazing! Younger dd and I just came back from the dog park. Going to overindulge and deal with it tomorrow. I was frustrated that my weight has been stuck for three days. I have a sneaking feeling it will be unstuck tomorrow!

BillBlueEyes
11-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Talk about oneupsmanship! At Thanksgiving dinner I noted that I'd learned a new word, spatchcock.

One guest responded that she's been doing her chickens that way for a while now - her husband even bought her a new pair of poultry shears to do it.

My foodie DS noted that Julia Child called that butterflying.

I went back to nibbling my Brussels Sprouts, LOL.

neurodoc
11-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Note to self: when you watch a video on a cooking technique and they demonstrate it on a ~10 pound turkey, do not assume that said technique will scale up seamlessly to a 17 pound one. Aside from feeling like I was engaged in hand-to-hand combat while bludgeoning the thing into submission, the big issue was that once the beast was "processed" it was far larger than any pan I had lying around, including my oval turkey roaster. I put it on a cookie sheet, and put a variety of pans underneath it on the bottom rack to catch drippings, but that was wildly ineffective and the oven is now an oil-seared mess. As for less cooking time, it's a bit hard to tell, because I can't cook the same turkey both ways to directly compare, but it took just under 3 1/2 hours for a 16.8 pound bird, and it really did cook perfectly evenly- no overdone/dried-out bits anywhere. And boy was it easy to carve.

I plan to take the day off today. I will get a manicure, finish reading Lean In, go for a long wog with the dog, watch a sci-fi movie with the family and (unfortunately), clean the oven. For those of you doing gladiatorial battle in the stores today, happy hunting. I have declared myself a non-combatant :>)

gardenerjoy
11-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear the turkey was tasty, neurodoc, but a dirty oven is a big price to pay. It would take a very large roasting pan to hold a splayed out turkey.

I'm staying out of the stores today. A bunch of us are turning #BlackFriday into #BookFriday -- nine hours of chatting about books on Twitter! I won't be doing the whole thing, but I'm in charge of two hours, so I will be doing that much and hanging around to be supportive some of the rest of the time.

alinnell
11-29-2013, 10:48 AM
I survived Thanksgiving!

The final count ended up far less than 34, but I didn't take an actual count. The family of four that just had a baby didn't come because she'd just gotten out of the hospital two days earlier. I'm not sure why them kept them so long. So we had just four children and it seems they ate from their parent's plates because we had a lot of silverware bundles left over. The turkeys all turned out great (even if they were ready before we were). Everyone proclaimed the grilled one the best (but you can't make gravy from the drippings on that one as they burn). We could have gotten away with two turkeys.

But the house is mostly clean again and now today is DD's 23rd birthday and we'll celebrate it tonight with three kinds of chili and some jalapeņo cornbread. No cake as we still have the remains of four pies to finish.

Oh, and I didn't mention. I couldn't finish my plate. Very odd for me and I didn't take much of anything. Perhaps a bit too much stuffing and corn pudding but I had to throw much of it away.

saef
11-29-2013, 02:23 PM
My mother's oven failed. Yes, on Thanksgiving. It took us two hours to roast a casserole dish of butternut squash early in the morning, which was our first clue. Fortunately, there is a vacant house for sale next door, which my mother's good friend owns. She borrowed the keys and used the oven there to roast the turkey, and had to carry it when it was done across the snow-covered yard to our house.

We still miss my father badly on Thanksgiving. And we took a call from my cousin, telling us my aunt had died. She'd been caring for a husband who has Alzheimer's. Apparently she fell ill (this part isn't clear to me -- my cousin was too broken and the phone connection was bad) and couldn't call 911, and her husband couldn't or wouldn't, since he's not completely in his right mind, and so she died there. So my cousin must bury his mother, find a facility for his father and start with emptying out & selling their house.

That was enough to leave my mother and me thankful for several things.

I may be disappointed in my fitness and my body's appearance, but I am thankful for my health. And for having my mind. And that's supposed to be the whole point of this endeavor, isn't it?

gardenerjoy
11-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Wow, saef, an oven failure on Thanksgiving is a big deal. Cool that the backup plan worked. Holidays are hard after losses. It sounds like you and your mother made the best of things.

alinell: sounds like a terrific Thanksgiving. And the birthday party with chili, cornbread, and pie seems like the perfect way to celebrate when it falls so close to a holiday.

My all-day Twitter chat went well with a decent turn-out and terrific conversation. Today, a friend and I are going to see what Small Business Saturday is all about.

gardenerjoy
12-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Small Business Saturday proved a successful shopping trip -- even better, I found stores that were new and re-acquainted myself with shops I forget about. I'm looking forward to shopping our downtown again soon, which is I guess the whole point.