Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #1  
Back Again Bessie

S/C/G: 186/??/120

Height: 5'2"

Default New 30-something here! Kinda in denial, lol

When I was younger, everyone told me my metabolism was going to slow and to "watch out" or I'd get fat. Well, I've been somewhat overweight since my early 20's, but now I'm finding the motivation and energy to lose weight and work out just isn't what it was when I was in my 20's. Maybe it's all in my head, I dunno.

Did you notice a decline once you crossed into your 30's?
PintSizedTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

I haven't noticed my metabolism slow down, but then again I never understood my metabolism whatsoever until now. But I will say that I feel aches and pains more and I get dizzy easier. I haven't been on a roller coaster in 5+ years and I'm not sure that I could handle it. I'm more motivated now at 32 than I was at 26 when I started this journey. I feel like there is more on the line now health-wise and I want to be a good roll model for my daughter.

But my husband, who has always been super skinny, is starting to put on a little weight the older he gets. His metabolism had a pretty abrupt slow down, but he's not remotely overweight and probably could only lose 5-10 pounds.
gretel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #3  
Back Again Bessie

S/C/G: 186/??/120

Height: 5'2"

Ugh yeah, the aches and pains. Knees, shoulders, ankle, the list goes on. I think a majority of my lower body aches come from my weight. I am a good 20lbs over my highest non-pregnant weight. Actually, I weighed only 10lbs more than this when I went into labor with my daughter, and I had constant hip and knee pain.

Last edited by PintSizedTerror; 11-22-2013 at 08:39 AM.
PintSizedTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'8

I'm 28 and I can definitely feel the difference in my body & there are telltale signs things are changing, especially two kids later.
My metabolism has never been good but this is a lot harder than it's been in the past.
Paisleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

I noticed a slow down when I crossed 30. Whether it was my newly wedded bliss (read: distraction from working out!) or truly age, who knows. I started a different, less active job around then, too.
I do get more aches as well. When I reduce processed grains, curb sugar, and take omega 3 supplements, it goes down. I am less sore this winter than last, my hands don't hurt when I pull on my seat belt.
Maybe trying something new would help? I find myself enjoying group workout classes much more now than in my 20's. Switch things up and find something you like.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190 / 160 / 115

Height: 5'2

I definitely feel a difference in my 30s. I have waaaay less energy than my 20-something cousins. I find myself needing to go to bed at 10:30pm vs. my old 1am bedtime. Hence even less energy and motivation to go work out.

Last edited by njoytheride; 12-13-2013 at 11:00 PM.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #7  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I think some of it can be mental though. I'm 32 and my bf is 26 and we have the same energy levels: high. I'm awake earlier than he is and he can stay up later at times but that doesn't discount the 2am gaming sessions we can both churn out. I'm usually up until midnight or so, but on work nights it's 9 or 10 because I'm up at 5 the next day. My metabolism is much the same as it ever was, fairly normal, so I think it depends on the person. I don't notice any more aches or pains, but to be fair, I'm a mess from sports injuries as a teen and undergrad so who knows what's a new pain and what's a returning one, haha.

And Gretel, you should totally get on a roller coaster, they're so much more awesome than they were 5 years ago!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I feel more motivated now than I did in my 20s.. I hit 30 this year as well. I think my aches and pains are more weight related than age.
Sinderelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #9  

I have been overweight almost all of my life. The only time I was ever in the 'healthy BMI' range was when I was living a very unhealthy life. So I can't quite say anything for my metabolism but I definitely notice even at the same or lighter weight, I feel that physical activity is much harder. I get winded easier and my knees and back can bug me a lot more. Gosh, it makes me feel old saying that. Here's to hoping losing the weight will make some of the aches and pains go away as the pounds do.
delosmuertos44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/154/120

Height: 5'4"

When I was in my 20's I only had to think about being thin and I magically would be a size 2. Now when I think about it, I seemingly gain 5 pounds.
commit2fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #11  
L.*.V.E.

S/C/G: 336/277/120

Height: 5'6

Smile yes

I know I do. I seem to gain weight much more easier and faster if I don't watch when i eat and exercise. But this year I am very determined to get in shape, healthy and happy. Message me if you need any support. We are all in this together.
arerefngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I turned 30 in may and man what a bummer it has been for my metabolism. I have always been they type of person who would stay at the same weight if I ate what I want as long as I got exercise, but whammo 30 and it was like a switch! All of a sudden I started packing it on like I was going to hibernate! I know a lot of it has to do with school, less exercise, and just eating like crap, but that never seemed to effect me like this until I hit 30. I am really motivated to get down to a healthy weight because the way I felt before I started Atkins again I sure would not have the energy to pull a 12 hour shift and then come home to three small kids. Let me know if I can help you in anyway!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 25/21.6/0

Height: 5'8"

I'm 34 and I haven't noticed a difference, to be quite honest. Although, I've always been overweight and sickly, so I'm not sure my testimony counts for much.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #14  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

I am 32 and I LOVE BEING IN MY 30s! I think I feel more confident about myself, where I am in my life, and what I look like (even overweight) than I ever did. Now I've chosen to get rid of the extra lbs not to waste the BEST (yes, THE BEST) years of my life behind the scenes on the stage of my own life. Woah, that sounded very poetic.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #15  

I'll be 33 soon and I can definitely tell it's harder to lose than in my 20's.
MommaMimi is offline   Reply With Quote