Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Smile Holiday Support!

Hi,

I thought maybe a holiday support thread would be good for people, I know for me personally, I get stressed around the holidays. Fortunately, I won't be doing the cooking but I am a bit nervous because there is tension in my family and I will be with them, although I love seeing them. I feel self conscious about my weight and I get nervous that I will get comments on my weight, or someone will ask how my 'diet' or weight loss is going, that can be triggering.

Well, let's share some support, maybe suggestions here too if you like.

Hugs and Happy Holidays!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #2  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

We'll be spending the holidays with my husband's family. I love his mother to death, I really do, but she sort of praises my weight loss and then (seemingly) tries to undermine it through lots of pressure to eat fattening foods - and not just tastes, large servings - and drink lots of cocktails. At the last family birthday, she point-blanked called my husband to tell him that there would be no "healthy food." When I bring a healthy side (like a simple salad, or roasted veggies) for everyone, I feel like she judges me. (Her own daughter has said she feels like she can't succeed on a diet because as soon as she visits home, as she often does for week-long stays, her mother pushes food on her).

So I am getting pretty anxious about it.
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Hi PupMom-

I hear you on the holiday stress. I don't always struggle with the food as much as the family dynamics. I am dependent on my family for money because of a disability and I feel that I have to please them, it is a frustrating battle. I am in my thirties and I want to live a life that is good for me but I feel like I always need their approval because of the financial aspect, it is quite stressful. I feel like my father judges me because of my disability and that I have to always have my guard up. It is frustrating, there is a lot of tension there.

I hear you on the family stress, I know all too well how that can be stressful and upsetting.

Hugs, take care.

Amy
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #4  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Im very much a depressed eater and a " well its a holiday, it cant hurt" eater...problem is the hokiday turns into months. Im still battling stress and depression and working on not stress eating/binging.

Pup- I hear you on the undermining part....my mom is so jealous that I can lose the weight so she pokes and prods me over it.....then all my family push the fast food etc...meh...

Sea...been there, done that. Im the pleaser too.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Hey Dreamer-

I hear you on the issues around weight. I don't care to discuss my weight with my family most of the time but often they still think that it is their business, argh! I try to remember that they do love me and care about me, it's just the way that they show it can be painful. Hugs.

I hope that this is an enjoyable not stressful holiday season!

Amy
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #6  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Sea...I keep mine secret too but they still push. Obviously when you SEE ive lost weight dont appraise me then push mcdonalds on me is my thought LOL
Old 11-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPMOM5 View Post
We'll be spending the holidays with my husband's family. I love his mother to death, I really do, but she sort of praises my weight loss and then (seemingly) tries to undermine it through lots of pressure to eat fattening foods - and not just tastes, large servings - and drink lots of cocktails. At the last family birthday, she point-blanked called my husband to tell him that there would be no "healthy food." When I bring a healthy side (like a simple salad, or roasted veggies) for everyone, I feel like she judges me. (Her own daughter has said she feels like she can't succeed on a diet because as soon as she visits home, as she often does for week-long stays, her mother pushes food on her).

So I am getting pretty anxious about it.
I'm so sorry! I have almost no experience with food-pushers, but I read so much on this site about them. I have people who give me a plate no matter what I say, but nobody has really bullied me into eating. Just remember, whatever is on the plate does not need to be eaten.

Drink a large glass of water before eating dinner and eat slowly. If you can visualize the amount or food items you're going to eat and ignore the rest of the food (if you can't do this, physically separate the food), then pop a mint or some gum until after cleanup. It helps tremendously.

Good luck!!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/223/150

Height: 5'8"

I don't know, I've been lucky. If I were you, I'd address the issue point-blank. I'd say something like "I'm really committed to my health and my weight goals, please have compassion for me! Please try to be understanding of my wants and needs!" I think most people don't even realize that their behavior is upsetting, and I think they'll probably stop once you tell them point-blank that it bothers you.

But yeah, some people are mean and insecure about other peoples' weight loss and they might deliberately try to undermine you. I'm not sure how to even deal with something like that. It seems like your mother-in-law is pretty insecure about the fact that you're taking charge of your health, and she's probably insecure about her own weight and her own weight-loss failures, and she's taking her insecurity out on you. That's just sucky behavior. If I wanted to be mean, I'd probably call her on her insecurity in a very direct manner, but you probably don't want to cause that kind of drama. It's hard to balance standing up for yourself with causing drama.

If she has an attitude about the fact that you've brought a healthy dish to her home, gently remind her that there's nothing actually wrong with eating healthy food.

If I were you, I'd eat a full dinner before going to her house to eat.
emilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Seabiscuit and others!

I guess I'm lucky, we don't go anywhere or have anyone over well that;s not completely right, our son and his fiance will be over for Thanksgiving Day and sometime at Christmas.

My holiday stress is fear of eating too many of my own goodies!! I know I could stop the tradition, but each year I make hundreds of different kinds of cookies and small pastries, for gifts. I can keep most of them in the freezer which is on a back porch, so they are at least out of sight. It's during the making process and having one or lots more afterwards.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

I am worried about the holidays too. We are going out to eat and it will probably be a buffet and it will be crowded. Crowds make me anxious. Family makes me anxious. I'm tempted to skip the whole thing. I am so scared of overeating too.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #11  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

Vermont - My problem isnt when Im making them...I can resist when baking..My problem is when they come out of the freezer 2 weeks later...

Lilturtle- Go around the buffet and look at everything first then only kill each plate in the center; Leave about an inch of space between your food and the edge of the plate instead of piling the plates to the edges.

Been munchy today DANG IT! thankfully stayed under calories (Barely) and carbs (Barely)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #12  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Hi again

I'm glad that this thread is supportive to others!

Here's wishing everyone a very safe, happy and healthy Thanksgiving!!!

Take care!

Amy
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/149/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi all. While it's not good to see others struggling, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in having a tough time with the holidays. I ended a long relationship this summer, moved across the country to start over and am not really close to my family, so I feel truly alone this holiday season. I've been keeping busy and working on making new friends, but I can't help but feel sad right now. Focusing on my weight loss and getting to goal has been great for me, and with no family dinners or celebrations to attend it's been easy to stay on track. But it's lonely.

Sending positive vibes and encouragement to you all.
Veloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #14  

Even though it means more work for me (including major housecleaning), I'm glad to say I'm "doing" Christmas this year for the family! That means I have control of the food. I eat Paleo right now so nobody will really notice. Turkey, veggies, etc. I will be making cookies for the rest of the family and am thinking about doing almond meal cookies for me.
MyThreeTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

This year my depression is in remission thanks to Wellbutrin, which has been really nice because I can actually feel excited about Christmas and the holidays in general. But, because I can feel emotions again I'm also really sad today about an ex (I think I dulled the emotions for a while and they are coming back.) I know feeling things is good, but it still is hard.

I'm home alone today (I was thinking of going to church for a service, but then seeing all the families makes me feel more alone) so I've exercised, I'm cleaning and purging (stuff not food) and making space for new things in my life.

I'll see family tomorrow for the day.

Good wishes to everyone.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote