Exercise! - Nov-Dec-2013 C25K Newbies/Restarters

delmarva
11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
I thought I'd start a thread for newbies or restarters to C25K (Couch to 5K) running program, for the Winter 2013 season. Particularly for those just starting out on it.

I am adding C25K because I am largely near my weight goal, and do other cardio training (HIIT and swimming TI and strength), but my weight has plateaued. Maybe C25K will help get another 10 lbs off. Is that too much to ask?:^:

My personal difficulty is that my hips/glutes/hamstrings are weak. Jogging hurts. It is the new part I'm working on with my physical therapist since fully rehabbing my shoulders and knees. At age 51, I thought I was falling apart for a while, it was pretty scary and depressing. It's weird, because I have always been very active, but to keep hip strength at menopause particularly, you've got to give them their own workout I think.

I did a walk/jog time test for 1 mile, on a treadmill, incline level 2. It was 15 minutes 25 seconds, really REALLY bad :tread:, given that I can really freestyle swim and cycle with endurance.

So, if anyone wants to join me, I am pretty sure that you'll do better than me(!), but I can use the inspiration of others. I know if I can strengthen my hips, I can jog for much longer.

Slowpokes like me gratefully welcomed. Let's support each other and swap newbie running experiences. I am starting today with week ONE.

Cheryl

delmarva
11-19-2013, 07:44 PM
OK - did the first workout.
Oddly enough, my pace (at 3.8 mph) was better than my pathetic 'all out' one mile test averaging only 34 mph.

We'll see if my hamstring and glutes hurt tomorrow or not. But, I did it. My legs felt pretty leaden.

fadedbluejeans
11-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Delmarva - I'm starting my c25k today. Ive been wanting to do it for awhile, but have been afraid of reinjuring my Achilles ( complete rupture 9/2012). But right now, I really want to do this, so I'm going to start before the motivation passes :-)

fadedbluejeans
11-24-2013, 05:11 PM
W1d1 down. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!

Rated
11-24-2013, 05:12 PM
I have been trying to start C25K for a month now and just haven't had the drive to do it. I think it is time to stop making excuses though and just do it!

delmarva
11-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Second time up, I went through it exactly the same pace. I am, at least though, only have really tired hips, not burning glutes! It is a great cardio workout. Legs felt like light lead this time, not heavy lead, haha. Will perservere. No doubt tho, I have to repeat week one.

Rated
11-26-2013, 12:15 AM
I followed through and did W1D1 yesterday. I plan on running on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays so tomorrow is day 2. I didn't find day 1 too bad but I need to look into buying new shoes. Even though my runners are brand new they pinch my heels and hurt.

fadedbluejeans
11-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Good for you, Rated! I'm actually looking forward to w1d2 tonight. i wonder how Delmarva is doing...

delmarva
11-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Oh, I'm hanging in. I'll report tomorrow. I just don't understand how I can do so great on the elliptical, rower, cycles, and swimming. And, then be truly pathetic on this treadmill. Something about running is just foreign to me, I guess. But, I'll persevere! I have hope.

Cheryl

fadedbluejeans
11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Oh, I hear you :-). I feel like I am the slowest runner on earth! For w1d2 I did a 20 min mile, Lol. I felt good, and I feel fine today, so I probably could handle a faster pace, but I don't seem to be able to get my legs to move faster. My gait is still off due to my tendon surgery, so that doesn't help, but I was never a good runner. The zombies will definitely catch me, Lol.

mnicole22
11-27-2013, 05:14 PM
I did c25k once and it was great! I actually did a couple 5k races and finished within the time I wanted! That was in the spring...of course I didn't keep up with it which was my mistake.

I'm going to commit to starting over! Tomorrow after work I will do w1d1.

:)

Rated
11-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Nicole - That is great that you finished is and it worked! I would love to be able to run a reasonable distance without stopping. Right now it is a little pathetic, I can run maybe 100 m without stopping.

I just finished W1D2 and for some reason I found it way harder than day 1. But I stuck it through. I am really hoping this will jump start my weight loss again and allow me to have some healthy habits started before Christmas gets too close.

envelope
11-28-2013, 09:56 PM
I am up for restarting! I really do not know why I let life get in the way and stop. I feel so good when I am jogging.

fadedbluejeans
11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Finished w1d3 yesterday. I made my best mile time so far (still way slow, Lol), it didn't feel as easy as the first 2 days and my butt is a little sore this morning, so I think I have found the right walking/running pace. Looking forward to seeing how I do with the 90 second runs in w2.

fadedbluejeans
11-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I felt good today so I did w2d1. I took a slower pace but completed all of the running segments with little trouble. I'm kinda surprised :-).

envelope
11-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Since this is a restart for me, I started with W2, which ended up not being a challenge. Today I was able to complete two rounds in a row of W3. I am planning on moving on to W4 tomorrow.

delmarva
12-01-2013, 10:52 AM
completed week one over two weeks (just did it more times). Which, I pretty much have to do since I am in supplemental physical therapy to strength my hip and knees. I'll try week 2 day 1, but will do another round of week 1, if week 2 is too hard on the hip joints. But, it ended better than it started, so all's good!

envelope
12-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Delmarva - what I love about C25K is that everyone can adapt it to their own needs.

I completed W4 D1 today and felt challenged, in a really good way.

fadedbluejeans
12-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Yesterday was such a Monday! We missed the bus, so I had to drive my daughter to school, then as I left the building I slipped on black ice and strained my left quad muscle. I got to work and realized I had left my lunch at home...ugh.
Despite being a bit sore from falling, I was determined to move on to w2d2. I had to go a bit slower than the previous session, but I finished!
Keep up the good efforts everyone :)

delmarva
12-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Love the support here!

Every time I do this C25K, I get a pain in the butt (literally!where the hamstring tendon attaches). It's because I am so new to this, and also have weak glutes. So, I've been advised to proceed with caution, namely keep it in low gear, and continue with my focus first on building hamstring and glute strength, before advancing on this program. (squats, lunges and all the usual PT stuff).

So, if anyone else feels a butt ache, which you notice after sprinting on the treadmill, and feel particularly on your 'sitting bones' when you sit, focus on some strength work. Otherwise, you can get hamstring tendonitis (proximal hamstring tendinopathy) if you really over do it badly.

I will keep working on week 1. Even now, I can tell that the ache is less severe, and that my stamina is improving. Gotta' start somewhere.

fadedbluejeans
12-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Good info about the sore butt...also helps to stretch the hamstrings, even on off days.

So, I completed w2d3 on Wednesday...slowly. I felt not so good and was convinced I would never be able to complete w3d1 on the first try. I took yesterday completely off from any training, even yoga, and tackled w3d1 this afternoon. I did it! I felt good, like I could even have run an additional 3 min segment. Continue to surprise myself :-)

envelope
12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Way To Go FadedBlueJeans!

delmarva
12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
So pleased to see others moving forward! So glad you made it through the first day on week 3, @fadedbluejeans!

mnicole22
12-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Well I didn't start on the day I wanted because, well, I have no excuse.

BUT!! I just finished W1D1 and I feel great! I wish I could remember how good it feels to complete a workout before each workout.

Wednesday will be my next day...I think I need to set up a tv/dvd in front of my treadmill to keep me distracted.

I've decided to take this attempt at weight loss at a more reasonable pace. I'm going to adjust my eating habits but not change them all together. I know that the mistake I often make is trying to change everything all at once! my diet, exercise, not drinking...then I always fail.

I'll also try harder to use the supports around me...not always easy.

delmarva
12-10-2013, 01:00 AM
It's the same with me, mnicole22! Always have to mentally psyche myself to get started.

Well, I've done what must be nearly a month in week ONE drills. (yeah, done it about 12 times. See all my sore hip whining below). So, I am ready to progress to week 2. Will report in, probably with more whining.

But - at least today, the month of working on this specific routine, along with strength exercises for the hip and glutes is beginning to 'kick in'. I felt pretty decent at the end.

fadedbluejeans
12-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone! Happy to report w3d3 finished yesterday with no problems. I took two days off between training days this week. W4 looks a little scary. It might be the first repeat week, but that's ok :-)

delmarva
12-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Did week Two Day One today, with no problems. I am glad I did week one over and over until I felt I had it nailed. Just sweating, no pain.

And, I reached goal today. WHOOOOO hooooooo.....

fadedbluejeans
12-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Yay delmarva!
W4d1 went down with no problems! Can't believe it :-)

delmarva
12-15-2013, 08:15 PM
You're an inspiration, fadedbluejeans. Keep up the wonderful work. I think I can tackle this program. Week 6 looks scary as all get out, so I try not to think about it! When I do repeat a week, I do an extra interval or extend it a couple of minutes, in the hopes that will "bridge" me into the next week... give me a little more stamina without busting anything!

fadedbluejeans
12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
well, W4D2 had all kinds of issues - I had a problem with my shoe and had to pause in my warmup and then I accidentally pulled the safety out of my treadmill in the first walking segment, and had to restart. I lost all of my time/distance data on the treadmill for that session, but I kept going through all the running segments and finished the session, albeit without shoes. It seemed harder than w4d1, but I think that was because I lost focus due to the technical difficulties. I had to laugh - it was still fun. I can't believe I look forward to this every other day or so :)

delmarva
12-17-2013, 11:10 PM
My physical therapist told me I need to change shoes - he video taped me walking and running on a treadmill, and when running, my right ankle is tipping inward right after I land. I usually wear Danskos for their excellent arch support during the day, so it seems when I take them off, my right foot is collapsing in a bit. This in turn caves my right hip in a bit, placing my knee out of alignment, and so forth. I think this is called overpronation. So, I'll look into this. It's been 5 weeks since I've seen my PT, so it was nice to have a review of form early in the process. It's like my legs don't know how to stay under my hips and over my feet!

fadedbluejeans
12-21-2013, 06:28 PM
W5d1 down!
Delmarva... I'm wearing vibram five fingers "see ya" style. Love them! (I have a lot of trouble with shoes because of my repaired Achilles).

delmarva
12-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm recovering from my last run. I was at a different gym, and their machine was more difficult for me to manually tweak up and down, so I used their "1-1" interval program. I also (separately) do a lot of HIIT interval work, and knew that I often get close to my maximum heart rate, but hadn't really pegged it. Since - for me - running is the hardest, I decided to test it.

Well, 173 is my maximum heart rate (age 51). I literally could not get it to rise above that. I was the sweatiest thing at the gym after that. (Folks should not do this by themselves unless they are experienced with interval training and know their body VERY well. If you don't do HIIT regularly, and if you don't know the basic breathing metrics for "perceived exertion", testing your limits is psychologically scary and could be dangerous).

So, this is not what C25K was designed for!
But, given that I had a different machine and was "in the mood" to work to collapse, I ran the test. Now, I know exactly what 100% is, so I can regularly work at 85%.

Hamstrings are tired. I'm working on them, too, now.
Still have to solve the shoe problem.

fadedblue - so you actually wear those shoes I've seen! I wondered how they felt. Because you mentioned them, I looked them up, and it looks like they do put a good amount of cushion in the mid-foot area. I've just got to get myself to one of the running shoe stores that has a treadmill, and let them fit me. Congratulations on being in week 5 :cheer:

I'll tell you - I thought this shoe stuff was nonsense, but I was wrong. When my PT showed me how my ankle rolls when running, it was an "ah ha" moment.

diamondgeog
12-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I started running for the first time in my life this past August using Ease Into 5K, a C2FK app.

When I started I couldn't run from my house to the end of the street, a few hundred feet. I got all the way to the end of week 5 and then had a calf tennis injury that sidelined me for a few weeks.

I then eased back in week 3 I believe then did week 4 for a couple of weeks.

But I bought a Polar FT80 heart rate monitor on a lightning deal with Amazon. That helped me do week 5 again just this past few days. I went straight through it in 3 days.

The Polar helps a lot. I was exceeding my 'maximum' heart rate and now I stay in the 160s consistently while in the running portions. I can also see my recovery time improving. So I run now based on heart rate. I also think it was good to do week 4 over and over.

Finally it just feels pleasant to run. This is such a change for me. Even when I was younger, not really overweight, around 190 to 210 which should be overweight for my 5'9" frame but if you look at pictures I wasn't, I just could not run. I could hike the grand canyon from top to bottom and up, but running just got my body especially lungs all tied up in knots.

But now at 48 I can run. So awesome. I definitely suggest people invest in a heart rate monitor. Polar interestingly now has got into the fit band business. You can get a Polar band for around $100. That can give you a pedometer and sleep feedback. Then be sure to get a Bluetooth Polar heart rate monitor for around $70.

That can work. The FT80 is great and it also allows for strength training as the optimal time to start a new set. It has made a huge difference to me, especially as I am still carrying a lot of extra weight not to even bother with my pace but rather my heart rate. I think I will get fitter faster and I definitely like it more than exceeding my 'max' heart rate. Although obviously I didn't exceed mine.

But staying in the 160s for the run portions is a really good workout for me. I feel fresh at the end but at the same time like I accomplished my goal and most important that I am getting fitter.

delmarva
12-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm totally with you on heart rate monitors diamondgeog!

The tables with "recommended" numbers are just averages, and apparently maximum heart rates can vary significantly. At age 51, a max rate of 173 is slightly higher than normal. My resting HR is 64 (as low as 59 on first waking), which is better than 74 2 years back. Testing myself again after a year of HIIT, it was obvious, finally, that I'd hit max heart rate, though VO2 could probably squeeked up a little more, but I was at max. No matter what, HR would not go up further. Not a drop of energy left in me! I would have never pushed myself like that 6 months back, for fear of dying :whoo: As my hips get stronger, I hope to enjoy running more, like you!

And, when I'm not wearing a monitor, I am wearing a tempo trainer in the pool. (Pyle cheap water resistant watches work great in a pool cap and have nice pacer clocks).

fadedbluejeans
12-22-2013, 11:17 PM
I've been wearing injinji toe socks for a long time, with my regular cross trainers for walking. Otherwise I tend to get blisters between my toes. So going to the toe shoes was not too big of an adjustment. But running in the cross trainers was uncomfortable. I was running in just socks (treadmill) but I do hope to eventually run outdoors. I bought my vibrams online and had to return the first pair for a smaller pair, but the returns are free so no problem.
Your heart rate discussion was interesting. I have a sportline watch and hrm chest strap. W5d1 was the first time I hit max heart rate according to my hrm...my watch display actually said "hi". I felt like I could have pushed it harder, but seeing that scared me a little. Although, I do think there might be a problem with my chest strap. If I don't get a fit bit for Christmas, I think I'll replace it.

fadedbluejeans
12-24-2013, 09:31 AM
W5d2 completed! I'm scheduled for w5d3 tomorrow (Christmas). What a great giuft it would be to get through the first big run. So nervous!

fadedbluejeans
12-26-2013, 07:25 AM
I did it! I did it! I did it! W5d3 completed, no problems :-)

fadedbluejeans
12-27-2013, 07:52 PM
W6D1 finished. Definitely having a problem with my hrm though....it said I was up to 225! I had to take off my watch to get it to reset, then it showed 155 . I like to be in the 160s range.

diamondgeog
12-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Awesome on finishing week 6 day 1. Do you plan on repeating any days or the entire week before moving on to week 7?

Have you repeated days or weeks before?

fadedbluejeans
12-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Awesome on finishing week 6 day 1. Do you plan on repeating any days or the entire week before moving on to week 7?

Have you repeated days or weeks before?

Thanks! I haven't repeated any days or weeks yet...I don't "plan" to, but I will if I can't finish one. I'm going at a very slow pace, just working on endurance and form right now. I'm very fearful of injuring myself...I had 3 surgeries and spent 5 months in splints and casts when I ruptured my Achilles in September 2012.
I thought I would repeat the whole program at an increased pace once I get through it the first time.

delmarva
12-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Finished week 2! After many weeks of course. I've been building up hip and hamstring strength in the interim - working really hard on that. (When I told my PT where running made me ache, I got a whole additional set of exercises). I can do week 2 with no problems now, and go for longer - like 30 to 40 minutes.

Will report on week 3 soon. I think I can do this. I just don't graduate to the next week until I can do the previous without prolonged ache after the workout. But a bit of soreness is A-ok!

Fadedblue - best of luck on week 6!

fadedbluejeans
12-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Good job delmarva! And thanks. I can't wait for today's workout :-)

fadedbluejeans
01-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Week 6 is in the books! I'm a little concerned because my right knee is starting to hurt a bit. I wrapped it for yesterday's w6d3 and that helped. I just hope I can make it through these final three weeks without it getting worse.

EmmaD
01-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Hi C25K-ers! I started the program "for real" again in December ... though I had been doing it half-a$$ed for most of the autumn... I did do it all the way through in 2009, finished on New Year's Eve :). Then had no plan for what to do next... eventually pretty much stopped running altogether.

In the interim I have often used like Week 1 Day 1 intervals for High Intensity Interval Training. Works great for that.

My goal for now is to make it back up to 30 minutes running - which, at my speed, will be nowhere near 5K. After I can sustain 30 minutes steady, I plan to work on improving my speed/distance. I don't have much interest in working up to longer running times. I just want a form of regular sustainable exercise ... that keeps me cardiovascularly fit enough to go hiking with friends (believe me, that is not the case currently!)

SO -today I just completed Week 5, Day 2. I think I am using a program that is a bit different than the rest of you, my intervals today were 5 min run, then 8 min run, then 3 min run (16 min total). Week 5, Day 1 was 5-7-5 (17 min total).

Note on the different programs: when I did this in 2009, the ipod app I had (called "Run 5K") used the same intervals as the "real" trademarked C25K program by Cool Running. At some point around 2010/2011-ish the intervals on my app changed. I liked those old intervals, so I downloaded another version ("C25K Free"), which is close to the Cool Running version but it's 8 weeks instead of 9. But somehow I got used to the first one so that is the one I am using now.

Anyway I don't really care about the specific intervals, I just do what the lady in my ear tells me to do :p usually groaning when she says "Run Now" but it's getting better. My strategy is just plug through it slow, slow slow :snail::snail::snail:

On my version the dreaded 20 minute run is Week 6, Day 3, so a week later than the Cool Running standard program. I like that - even when I did the CR version, I switched stuff around so that the 20 minute run came in the 6th week.

I think I am going to draw out the longer runs - one week at 20 min, then a week at 22, a week at 25, a week at 28 and then 30. That fits with my 6-week shape up plan also :D.

Good luck everyone for 5K success in 2014!

fadedbluejeans
01-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi Emma... Fyi, the free treadmill version I got from cool running is very similar in the long runs...w5d3 is 20, w6d3 is 22, w7d1-3 are 25, w8d1-3 are 28 as and w9 is 30.

delmarva
01-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Emma or Fadedblue - have either of you heard of a sports watch with two timers on it. I'd like to be able to set times to space at - for example - 120 seconds (run), 60 seconds (walk), repeat.... I'd use it around the neighborhood. I like to not have anything in my ears, because it is rural out here, and I like to watch and listen for dogs. People out here are clueless in tying up their pets. I've had one dog bite in the past, and I am real observant after that horrible incident.

Taking a few days off this week, after no breaks since February (5-6 days a week, no exceptions). Hamstrings just were tired. Wanted the ache on my sitting bones to diminish before revving up again!

fadedbluejeans
01-03-2014, 12:29 PM
I have a sportline watch with a chest strap hrm - model 1025, I think. It has lots of features and I think it would do what you want, although I don't use most of them. I know it does have multiple timers and you can track laps, etc. Check out the sportline website, there are a few other models too.

fadedbluejeans
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
BTW, my new knee support arrived yesterday so I did w7d1...25 minute jog. I didn't get to running until 8:30 pm, and after dinner, and it was the first time since I started that I felt like I wanted to quit. But I didn't and I made it through just fine, although going even slower than usual. At least now I know for sure that I need to run before eating; even waiting for 2 hours after wasn't enough.

diamondgeog
01-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Should we start a new 2014 thread? I am using the ease into 5K app. I just completed W6D1. In this app it is 8 min run 3 min walk 8 min run. But W6D3 is a 20 min run.

I also signed up for a biggest loser 5K. Not a fan in particular of the show. Just too sensationalized. But it is close by and a good time for me. They also take free pics and it should be fun. It is March 30th.

Felt great after the run BTW.

fadedbluejeans
01-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I see diamondgeog has already been there, but for the rest of you there is a new for this year c25k thread going...I think I might move over there instead of posting in two places. Look for:

January 2014 C25K - Running Wild!