Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Looking for Support Buddies!

Hi! I am a 46-yr-old stay-at-home mom who is at my new all-time high weight. I need to lose about 75 pounds to be at a healthy BMI. (Sad to even acknowledge that.) I am determined to do this, but I avoid getting started with exercise and feel like I am always hungry or thinking about food. I am definitely an emotional eater and a food addict to some extent. I am on meds for depression and anxiety, and I know my meds play a role in my weight issues, but I really WANT to make a dedicated effort to OVERCOME THE OBSTACLES and lose the weight. I have actually been focused on weight loss for quite a long time and lost some significant weight (but gained it back) a few years ago, but I need to really step it up and make some positive changes which will give me a different, better result that I can maintain for life. I refuse to go on another "diet" only to gain the weight back when eating "normal" again. I want to focus on making healthy LIFESTYLE CHANGES ~ such as portion control, healthy food choices, and consistent exercise ~ which I can maintain for the rest of my life. I believe that much of the battle is fought in the mind (at least for me), so I am also trying to keep a POSITIVE outlook regarding weight loss. I tend to be an all-or-nothing thinker, but I will strive for PROGRESS rather than perfection. I am looking for support buddies to cheer each other on to our goals. It helps me to know that I'm not alone in my efforts and to touch base with others who are trying to make positive changes in their lives, too. Please post if you are interested in keeping in touch on this forum during your weight loss journey, and we can decide on a name for a group and start a fresh thread every month. I don't want a bunch of rules for the group. Just want a place to post each day and check on and encourage each other. Oh, and I also believe that each day is a new chance to get it right, so let's start TODAY and reach our goals TOGETHER!!! We can do it!!!

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 11-17-2013 at 09:08 PM.
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/222/180

Height: 5'8

Hi! I'm 25 and have been on depression/anxiety meds for.. 3 years. I'm on a different med than I first started with due to the fact of how much I gained on my first med. It was severly depression (which is just great.. when the med is supposed to help your depression. I also strive for perfection and get down on myself, and my husband, when we don't eat "good enough." I know due to my meds it may be harder to lose weight, but I need to focus on just being healthy through eating and exercising, and I would also love support/encouragement for that as well.
CrystalClear25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #3  
I can do it!!!

Smile Hi CrystalClear25!

Hi! I hear ya on the weight gain from meds! It made me even more depressed. And I am still trying to get the weight off from my 60 pound gain years ago!!! We can do this, though! Today, I will walk on the treadmill for at least 15 minutes. So far, my eating has been much better today. Will strive to keep it up. Also drinking lots of water, as always! Every little positive change adds up. Let's keep in touch and cheer each other on to our goals!!! Thanks for posting!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm bipolar and the year I was on seroquel made me gain about 100 lbs so I understand the med thing. I would love to join you if you'll have me. I'm an emotional eater too plus I eat when I am bored. I need to make some lifestyle choices too.

Last edited by lilturtle; 11-18-2013 at 03:04 PM.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

Hi! I am 26 and have been on mood stabilizer/antidepressant/anxiety medication for almost 4 years. I am finally almost finished with celexa which was a contributing factor to my weight gain, and also due to my being bipolar has stopped working anyway. For the first time since starting the medications I feel like things are actually evening out and I have finally decided to make long term changes to how I am handling my weight. This group sounds like exactly what I was hoping to find on this site and I would love to be involved!
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Ladies,
count me in. I am in the same boat. I took some meds (celexa) for depression when I lost my MIL and then my mother. EVERY medication works differently for everyone..... and I was told Celexa is normally weight neutral, but that was not the case for me. After a few other ones, I went back to Pristiq, which is VERY pricey for me.... but it works.

I am trying to squash the perfection part of me and just strive for progress. I had lost 100 pounds and have gained 75% back. That is depressing in itself. But, I am trying.

I would love for us to be able to keep in contact.

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #7  
I can do it!!!

Smile Let's do this!!! :-)

Thank you ladies so much for your responses! We can start communicating here and form a group once we come up with a name. Any suggestions? I think we can be a great support to each other if we all post each day (or as often as possible) about BOTH our ups and downs on this weight loss journey.

I will start. Today, I finally stepped on the treadmill and walked for 30 minutes AND I walked on the TreadClimber for 5 minutes. [I burn far more calories (2-3x as much) on the TreadClimber, but it is much more difficult for me, so I just do it in 5 minute increments.] My food intake was pretty good most of the day, but I felt ravenous after dinner and ate some unplanned extras. I am trying hard to get consistent with exercise, but it is a constant battle for me to just get started. My love of/obsession with food and the meds I am on are my biggest hurdles right now. It is so difficult to put it all together (food and exercise). But I am determined once again to give it my best effort. I know myself well enough to know that my motivation and determination will come and go, though, so I am so very happy to have you ladies along for the ride!

Please let me know your successes and your struggles. That seems to be a good place to start and what I hope to focus on each day. Feel free to write as little or as much as you want to each day. I will be reading along and I will try to give helpful feedback whenever possible. Please do the same for me. If we can share our personal tips, insights, and what does and doesn't work for us, we can learn so much from each other!
So.......LET'S GO TEAM!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #8  
I can do it!!!

TEAM NAME IDEAS:

- "Keep it Simple!"
- "Mind Over Matter"
- "No Rules"
- "Ups & Downs"
- "A Team Effort"

These are just a few I thought of quickly. I do want to keep it simple and we can add the month and year for each new thread at the start of each month. For example, "Keep it Simple! November 2013" or "Ups & Downs November 2013." Then, each thread won't get too large, and we will be able to locate the group each new month.

PLEASE ADD YOUR SUGGESTIONS OR LET ME KNOW WHICH ONE YOU LIKE THAT I'VE SHARED ABOVE. I'd like to name the group ASAP, even as we continue to welcome new people. Thank you for your input!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #9  

I like Ups&Downs. It just fits in my mind.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #10  
I can do it!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks, lilturtle, for your input. I will wait for more feedback, but I like that one, too!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

I like ups and downs too
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #12  
I can do it!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks for your input, too, CDubsGotGoats! It is looking like we will name the team Ups & Downs, but I will let you all know for sure.

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 11-19-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #13  

I love this idea. I could really use a group where I can check in every day and support others. Great idea!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #14  

I like ups and downs..... cause that is life.... and weight.... and life. lol
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #15  

Lilturtle.... just a lil "funny".... we have the same goal weight.... you live in Harrisburg PA and I live in Harrisburg, AR!!!!!! lol