Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/192/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Started Atkins for 1st time today!

Hi guys!!

I am brand new to the site and I am looking to make friends and gain support while I am on my new weight loss journey!

I had my first child when I was 19 years old. I gained about 60 lbs and dropped it within the first 3 months without diet or exercise. I attribute that to being YOUNG and a new mom running around like nuts.

I just had my second child 9 years later in June of this year. I gained almost 80 lbs! My weight before getting pregnant was 150 and I ended up just about 228!! I am now down to 194 5 months later, but I have definitely stalled over the past month.

I started the initiation phase of Atkins today. So far, I am feeling alright. I just need some inspiration and support!!

One question I have is, do you guys all count NET carbs (carbs-fiber)? For example, today I had 2 cups of steamed broccoli. On the nutrition label, it says 4g carbs and 3g fiber per cup. So, I calculated that as 8g Carbs - 6g Fiber = 2g NET carbs. Am I doing this correctly? And as long as I stay under 20g NET carbs for this initiation phase, then I am ok?

I appreciate the assistance as I have not had too much time to delve into all of the literature yet. I have read the list of approved foods for the initiation phase and I am going to stick to that for now. I just needed clarification on this NET carb thing.

Good luck to everyone on your weight loss goals!
JFroo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #2  

Well, I figured out that I am calculating the carbs correctly. Still hoping to connect with some people for support!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Yes, you are calculating net carbs correctly
I strongly recommend you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions to understand exactly how & why this works when done correctly.
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #4  

Thank you! And I do fully intend on reading the book. After no sweets or starches today, I am really craving them!! I also have a pretty decent headache, although I am sure my body will get used to this way of life pretty quickly. I will just try to drink a little more water.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #5  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Welcome! While im not on atkins specifically, I am doing low low carb and yes that is right. I think the new atkins also subtracts sugar alcohols though I know not everyone follows that because some react differently to them. Good luck! Cant wait to watch your progress!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #6  

Thank you!!! Good luck to you too!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #7  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

JFroo316 - Atkins works for me!! For headaches along with water - try adding in broth too. It is induction friendly!! I used a lot of broth during last winter and it really seemed to help - I overeat so it also helped when I felt compelled to "graze"!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Welcome Jfroo! You sound like you are determined and that is AWESOME! I can't wait to see your scale reading going down as you go forward with this journey! (most of us are morning posters... but I bet afternoon people will start visiting this site! ) HAPPY FOR YOU!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #9  

Welcome Jfroo.......I'm glad to hear you're going to read the book. It's important. I've read it a few times over the 6 years I've been on this program.

Do you have a list of 'allowable' foods? Dr. Atkins says very bluntly that our "this one bite won't hurt" is the kiss of death on induction. You cannot follow the regulations of the new folks who took on the Atkins name.......the FB folks list rediculous foods as being allowed on all levels.......chocolate? Cocoanut? and many other things that are NOT allowed.

The 2002 New Diet Revolution is still for sale and easy to find......that's where to get your regulations. It's the last publication that Dr. A wrote himself before the company was sold, name and all to a bad bunch that only want to make money.

The help here is good. Keep coming. I hope your headache goes away quickly. I don't know if I had a headache. I had reflux so bad I was not able to sleep laying down or bend over to tie my laces.........and 2 days on this program the reflux was gone and it has only come back once......and that was at Halloween when I decided to have a cheat day........dumb idea!!

The biggest problem I had was to get my fats up high enough. After living all our lives being told that fats are SO BAD......it took awhile to shake that off. For years now I've been just easy with it.........this is a high fat diet which is what makes it easy to deal with. Today my fats are at 80% of my intake......at the end of the day it will probably be about 75%. I'm so easy with that after the last 6 years of living with it and having my blood work come back ticketty boo each time (I'm 70 and so having no statins or b/p meds in my life is a big deal!)

Don't try to do this low fat.........Dr. A himself said it just won't work. When you go low carb it translates to High Fats.........and that's just the way it is. Your body, lacking carbs to use for fuel turns to using your fats and they have no time to build up in your arteries because you're using them up each day.

Last edited by Timlin; 11-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #10  

Thank you guys for the support! It is nice to have you guys there to back me up and help keep me on track!!

Timlin - thank you and I believe I am following the correct list before the company was taken over. I am really struggling with getting enough fat in my diet so far, just like you said. It is REALLY difficult to not associate fat with gaining weight. Today, I felt like absolute crap. I was extremely fatigued and slightly dizzy. I could only do a few things at a time and then had to rest. I powered my way through the day though without resorting to sugar or starches, so I am super proud of myself.

I hope that I start to gain my energy back soon!! It is hard to be so lethargic with a 5 month old.

My fear now is that I will go through all of this and not lose any weight. I am really trying not to think like that though. The scale says 192 today, so that is motivating (even if its water weight)!!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

The good news is, it does get easier! I've been doing Atkins 9 and a half years now and its 2nd nature.
KUTGW!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlin View Post
It's the last publication that Dr. A wrote himself before the company was sold, name and all to a bad bunch that only want to make money.
so is 2010s Atkins for life NOT by him? because it only lists him as author from everything I can see on amazon. I am not seeing the 2002 version of new diet revolution but I see a 92 version, is there much difference?
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #13  

I have the 1992 publication and I don't see much difference at all. I often turn to it if the 2002 publication is off in the bedroom or something and I find it as close as close. After all Dr. A had this diet going for 30 years so he knew what he was doing. I'd settle for the 1992 publication far and gone over the 2010. Dr. A died in 200? so he could not have been the author of the 2010 issue.

They are a devious bunch and really leading folks astray with all their bars and shakes and fudge and crazy things that just keep you thinking about sweets and craving more. Not good!!
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #14  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Timlin..The company was sold; the new owners of the company are the ones that wrote the new book and have marketed the bars/etc. I think the "new
" atkins is pretty much like slim fast if you use the bars and shakes that have all those hidden carbs in the form of sugar alcohols.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/210/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi

New to all of this but i'm here because i'm desperate to lose weight and hoping the support will help. Planning to start the atkins plan after thanksgiving.
Patty2Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote