Ideal Protein Diet - IP Weekend Chat Sat 11/9 - Sun 11/10/2013

lisa32989
11-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Don't ask me why I'm up at 3 am :?:
Woke up. Couldn't sleep. Lying in bed was futile so time to start the chat!

:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html): Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4701599-post49.html)

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html)

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270950-ideal-protein-tips-recipes-incredible-weight-loss-center.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

I can do anything
11-09-2013, 05:29 AM
After reading all the posts from yesterday's daily forum about how some doctors have reacted to their patient's weight loss, I realized how blessed that I am to have a supportive doctor.

:hug: HUGS to all those who do not get that support.

lisa32989
11-09-2013, 05:33 AM
From Beck Diet Solution Facebook site:
Weekend Warm-up: Remember – if you eat at someone’s house this weekend, you may not have control over what food is served to you but you ALWAYS have control over what you put in your mouth.

ReenHag
11-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Morning, everyone!

Lisa, I am so with you! I woke up this morning as if it were a work day. My body just was finished resting, I guess, so I hopped out of bed. Really, I have been going to bed earlier and sleeping better on IP; I assume my body knows what it needs.

No special plans this weekend. I have TONS of work to catch up on due to taking two sick days last week. We also have Open House at school on Monday, so I have to prep for that. Hubby has a work trip coming up, too, so I will help make sure he has what he needs ready to go.

WI tomorrow- will post results! Have a great weekend, everyone!

Renee

vachinyc
11-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Good morning! I too was up too early for a Saturday, but thankfully not 3am. It is supposed to a pretty day here so I figure I may as well get going :)
I have weigh this morning but maybe will take a little walk and enjoy the (chilly) sunshine first.

Nice reminder Lisa. We control the food, not the other way around.

IP POWER to all!

dlr9774
11-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Ready to enjoy this snowy day in Manitoba, Canada. Planning all week for pancakes for my twins and planning to "try again" with the IP pancake, but this time with the chocolate pkg. I am really finding that planning is helping me be successful on this plan.

dlr9774
11-09-2013, 07:55 AM
A coach shared with me "Fail to plan, or, plan to fail" Therefore, I will PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! Precut, zip bagged veggies in the fridge just makes grab and go possible for work in the morning.
Somehow made sense to this organized person! Keep on track all my new IP friends. I find this site very helpful.

safetylady
11-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Good morning everyone, the dog decided that 6am would be my Saturday wake up time. Started the day with my coffee and a restricted orange wafer bar which is very different for me. Was craving something crunchy, so it will work for today. Relaxed a bit in the hot tub now it is time to get my butt in gear.

Today is day five of my reboot. I will take those 15 pounds that I gained back off. This time I will learn to phase off and enjoy my clothes!!

Have a wonderful day!!!!

sonolady
11-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Good morning all!!!! 3 day weekend!!! Yeee haa!!! Sending IP POWER to stay OP for this long weekend. P3 starts today.

Congrats to all the scale movers and NSV winners!!! Feels good doesn't it! Love the line I've seen Lisa write, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"!!!

nolasmurf
11-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Well I ended up working a 12 hour day yesterday, so that sucked. Managed to stay OP except I didn't get all my veggies and water in. I was off by a cup. I guess 3 cups is better than no veggies! Was so tired when I got home last night I fell asleep quickly but woke up at 7. I don't have work till Noon so I'm just going to relax for awhile. No tv just me and the dogs.

Hiker88
11-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Good morning! I know I should stay off the scale but some days I really can't help myself! I haven't lost a thing so far this week but I had two great weeks in a row and I have TOM this week. I think I'll leave the scale alone till my weigh in on Tuesday.. I know if I stay OP all will go well... have a great weekend everyone!

sonolady
11-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Nolasmurf I can relate to the not enough sleep. I am awake at 5 AM no matter what day it is, last weekend with the clock change, it was 4 AM for a few days. I am a terrible sleeper. I usually get up and give the dogs extra attention too. I have 3, a lab/dane mix, and 2 labradoodles. What type of dogs do you have?

nolasmurf
11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Nolasmurf I can relate to the not enough sleep. I am awake at 5 AM no matter what day it is, last weekend with the clock change, it was 4 AM for a few days. I am a terrible sleeper. I usually get up and give the dogs extra attention too. I have 3, a lab/dane mix, and 2 labradoodles. What type of dogs do you have?

I have a pit bull mix Abby who's around 6 and DiNozzo who's full blooded blue Pit and He's 3 . Both are rescues as I volunteer with the Sula Foundation and Villalobos (yes pit bull and parolees)

Both very spoiled !

Jenny38
11-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Ready to enjoy this snowy day in Manitoba, Canada. Planning all week for pancakes for my twins and planning to "try again" with the IP pancake, but this time with the chocolate pkg. I am really finding that planning is helping me be successful on this plan.

We had our first snow flurries in Ontario this week.
Are you using the chocolate pudding mix for those IP pancakes? Can you post the recipe? I don't like the pudding.

sonolady
11-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I have a pit bull mix Abby who's around 6 and DiNozzo who's full blooded blue Pit and He's 3 . Both are rescues as I volunteer with the Sula Foundation and Villalobos (yes pit bull and parolees)

Both very spoiled !

How cool! All my dogs have been rescues, these 3 are all 7yrs old. Gus the lab/dane is 102lbs, Karli is 62lbs and Bella is 49 lbs. Gus and Karli are from Kentucky, she was abused , a puppy mill breeder. The poor girl will never be "normal". We've had her for 4 yrs and she is only marginally better than when we got her, she is just a fear filled non trusting girl. Gus is just a goof, a good ole southern boy, lol. Bella was not abused but neglected, she was a mess when we got her a year ago, from another breeder here in MA. I just don't have enough hands or arms to scratch , rub and hug them all at once, each pushes the others out of the way to get to me. I wouldn't trade them for the world. I tell DH that he will go before them.LOL

nolasmurf
11-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Awwwww! I love it. I'm very passionate about my animals and very rarely have company to my house because I can't stand how ppl act around my dogs. My SIL ex husband used to demand I lock them up when he visited because he's a 'cat person' and dogs are smelly and rude. Yay he spent most of his visit with a 70lb dog in his lap. This is their house. They are allowed on furniture (they have their own chairs) they will sniff you and greet you first. Abby was abused, she doesn't like loud noises and runs to her kennel when you shake out the garbage can liner. Living right on the Ms River 4 of July and NYE are terrible for her the fireworks have her shaking like a leaf. She gets to sleep in the big bed on those nights. They both have ex large kennels that I've laid in with them before. I'm with you on the DH thing! But thankfully he loves them just as much as I do!

Hiker88
11-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I have a maltese and he's my baby!!

sonolady
11-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Nolasmurf I have 4 memory foam beds for them, no kennels they have free range of the house but not the furniture. I spend more time on the floor than anything. Karli wont leave her bed when someone is over. We have 2 acres fenced in and they spend time outside only when we're home. Karli wont go out unless I am with her, any noise and she bolts for the door. poor girl, when we have a big party for the holidays I put them in the mud room with their beds and dont let the people go there. My "kids" are happier that way, they are used to a quiet house.

sonolady
11-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Hiker How sweet! Next time around my next rescues will be smaller but not that small. It costs a fortune to feed these guys.

sonolady
11-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Outside for me ....fetch , wrestling in the leaves, keep away with the ball. Have a good day everyone!

Hiker88
11-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Getting a dog is the best way to get your walking in! Some days I'm just sooo tired but I get home from work and he looks at me with those hopeful eyes, paws my leg and I just can't say no.... out the door I go and always feel better for it!

nolasmurf
11-09-2013, 09:36 AM
So now that we've hijacked the daily chat with our dog talk :D Sorry everyone!

Here's a question. How much coffee do you drink daily and have you seen it effect your losses? I drink 2 -3 cups a day with splashes of EAS French vanilla as 'creamer' and 1 Splenda each time. I don't see a slow down in losses but actually think it helps me stay OP. A cup of coffee in the afternoon stops the 'snacks' feeling

slownsteady
11-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Good Morning Everyone! I, too was an early riser this morning......6:10 a.m.....and I'd gone to bed late - 1:30 a.m., so have no idea why I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep! And I know sleep is important to help avoid weight gain, so not happy about the 5 hrs of sleep!

But, it is a beautiful, crisp, sunny Saturday! I actually haven't had my breakfast yet, so going to run and do that now. I am going to make the IP crispy cereal pancakes. I never have time for that on weekdays, but have been thinking about them ever since I made them while on vacation (was my first time having them - yum!)

Also want to report back that after my 1 week hiatus in he** (COMPLETELY off plan for a week when I RETURNED from vacation - did fine ON vacation - go figure!) and then this last 1 week 100% OP - I have lost the 7 I'd gained, plus 1 more for good measure! Am putting the home scale away now, and back to my clinic-only weigh ins starting on Monday so I'll update my ticker then. BTW - How annoying is that to have lost 8 lbs in the last week, but since 7 of it was weight I'd gained back, when I weigh in on Monday, it will only really be a 1 lb loss since I was in last! And that's if my home and clinic scales are even close! Oh well! I did it to myself, and hopefully is a lesson learned!

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

vachinyc
11-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Yay! I had a surprisingly good weigh in this morning. Down 4.9 lbs. So exciting. What a great way to start the weekend. :)

Happy weekend all!

IP POWER!

LUCCILOVE
11-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Someone on the forums told me to post this here since you guys are more experienced then me.

I started IP Oct 7 and I am down 17 lbs. I am only using IP stuff.

This week my mouth has been feeling weird-almost like a reaction to something I am eating. I went to my dentist and ENT. They both think it could be a reaction to the diet - I am not use to eating salt and vinegar prior to being on IP.

My tongue was sore, has white stuff on it (it is not yeast) sort of trouble swallowing, and seems like a dry mouth but I have saliva. ENT gave me a cortision shot and stuff to put on my tongue. I also have little fissulares on my tongue (grooves), no bad breath and I have been drinking all my water.

Dentist said it could be a virus or reaction to eating alot of pickles and salt
ENT said could be stress or body adjusting to the diet

Wondering if anyone else had any issues like this and did it go away? I am not eating pickles for a week to see if that helps. I was eating at least .5-1cup for lunch and sometimes dinner almost everyday

Then I am wondering if I am allergic to stuff in the IP products - soy, whey? Or is this just ketosis?

Slipfree
11-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Yay! I had a surprisingly good weigh in this morning. Down 4.9 lbs. So exciting. What a great way to start the weekend. :)

Happy weekend all!

IP POWER!

Congrats on your 4.9 pound loss! :woohoo:

Ruth Ann
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Someone on the forums told me to post this here since you guys are more experienced then me.

I started IP Oct 7 and I am down 17 lbs. I am only using IP stuff.

This week my mouth has been feeling weird-almost like a reaction to something I am eating. I went to my dentist and ENT. They both think it could be a reaction to the diet - I am not use to eating salt and vinegar prior to being on IP.

My tongue was sore, has white stuff on it (it is not yeast) sort of trouble swallowing, and seems like a dry mouth but I have saliva. ENT gave me a cortision shot and stuff to put on my tongue. I also have little fissulares on my tongue (grooves), no bad breath and I have been drinking all my water.

Dentist said it could be a virus or reaction to eating alot of pickles and salt
ENT said could be stress or body adjusting to the diet

Wondering if anyone else had any issues like this and did it go away? I am not eating pickles for a week to see if that helps. I was eating at least .5-1cup for lunch and sometimes dinner almost everyday

Then I am wondering if I am allergic to stuff in the IP products - soy, whey? Or is this just ketosis?

Luccilove - I had some of the same mouth symptoms but not as bad as you have. I eliminated the soy products for about a month and everything cleared up (including the mild rash I had). I've been able to incorporate 1 soy product a day back into my diet with no problems, but have to limit them.

From what I've read, soy is the most common allergy with this diet. Although that many pickles if you're not used to eating them (in my totally non-medical opinion) might cause some mouth issues.

schenectady
11-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Good Morning Everyone!
Also want to report back that after my 1 week hiatus in he** (COMPLETELY off plan for a week when I RETURNED from vacation - did fine ON vacation - go figure!) and then this last 1 week 100% OP - I have lost the 7 I'd gained, plus 1 more for good measure! Am putting the home scale away now, and back to my clinic-only weigh ins starting on Monday so I'll update my ticker then. BTW - How annoying is that to have lost 8 lbs in the last week, but since 7 of it was weight I'd gained back, when I weigh in on Monday, it will only really be a 1 lb loss since I was in last! And that's if my home and clinic scales are even close! Oh well! I did it to myself, and hopefully is a lesson learned!

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

You and I are apparently in this one together - I gained 10 pounds after a 3 week hiatus and this morning had managed to drop 5 of those, so I am still +5 for the experience. It has given me renewed fervor to get roaring back on the program, so I am actually OK, sort of!

I refuse to update my ticker to the gains, not because I am not being honest, but because I want a positive reminder of where I have been and how I got there.

My lesson is learned - fall down, get back up, admit the slip/slide and just resolve to deal with immediately rather than wallow in the guilt.

That being said, I am not sure how I would have handled my son's three week visit radically differently - I see him only once a year and this one was between deployments and included getting engaged to a dear one we have always loved. We did not eat more than a few meals at home, we made numerous long roads trips to places he wanted to visit, and he and I shared some great times and meals together.

I did not go crazy off - I still tried to stay relatively low carb. I would love to have some feedback as to how to handle situations like that where it was a long term get together with him. In many ways breaking bread and sharing food is love and is making connections. I know after the first three days of trying to stay OP that I would not make it.

Pixie111
11-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone,

a little frustrated to see the scale hasnt moved in 2 weeks. I am hovering over 158. I just started strength training but making sure I drink an extra shake right after my workout. I have lost 17 pounds so far. My trainer told me to eat carbs before a workout so I dont burn muscle. I am having a shake an hour before my workout obviously the carbs in it are negligent.

Please advise. Should I continue to drink a shake an hour before my workout and then a shake right after one? I can probably have a restricted packet before my workout.

Another thing I noticed, not getting enough water. I am hardly drinking any. I have resolved to drink a gallon a day starting today.

Thanks!
P

yespositively
11-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Hiker88 I stand on the scale every morning, always have. I only count an official weigh in weekly (usually on Saturdays, but with IP will change to Wednesday). I think it depends on how it affects you if you see a gain, because that does happen sometimes! This morning I stood on the scale and it say 175. When the heck was the last time it said that, I don't even know! Totally motivated me to stay OP today, even though I would prefer to have a cocktail and some off plan foods. But that said, if it goes up tomorrow, that's okay (as long as I was OP, I know fluctuations happen with my body based on salt intake, TOM, water, etc).

vachinyc :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Pixie111 Are you getting enough calories? My coach was pretty adamant about not working out since it might put your body into starvation mode. Depending on what you are doing with your trainer you might not be having enough calories. Talk with your coach about having an extra IP packet a day if you really want to work out.

ecdcslim
11-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Morning all, WI 9 this morning, down again for a total of 26.2 in 8 weeks! Very excited!
Schenectady & slownsteady - soooo happy your back and in the fight. We're all human, it happens and you both have gotten right back in rather than saying the heck with it. I know how hard that is.

Pixie111 I started weight-lifting again, it's definitely tricky. I have my extra meal right after I workout. I also make it my restricted, usually a bar as they have more calories and carbs and it helps a lot, made a big difference in how I felt and didn't effect my weight-loss. Worth a try. And you gotta drink the water - when I get up and am at the sink putting on my make-up, etc I have a 12 oz glass of water and I commit to drinking it before I finish getting ready. I also keep a water bottle in the car - I never don't drink my water with these things in place. Also, when I finish a shake, I usually put 4-6 ozs in the shaker, and drink that, it's still tasty and it's extra water. Good luck!

sekc14
11-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Good morning ipeeps! This recipe is probably typical but, wanted to share.

Coconut vinegar
Worcester Sauce
Spicy mustard
WF Pancake syrup

Salad:
Romain lettuce
Rainbow radish
Green onion
Celery
Yellow squash
Costco canned chicken

This combination is zesty and delicious! I'm trying to gather/create recipes that I can use from here on. I'm not fond of WF salad dressing unless it's doctored up. Would prefer not to buy it at all since it's expensive for the taste.

ReenHag
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Sounds good, but I thought Worcester sauce and yellow squash were not on IP.

IdealProteinNewbie
11-09-2013, 11:33 AM
ReenHag: Summer squash (green and yellow zucchini) are allowed while winter squash (acorn, butternut, spaghetti) are not.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Happy Saturday! Sounds like everyone is having a great weekend. I just have a quick question. What is the mg's of Potassium for the Ideal Protein supplement. My coach wants me to use No Salt instead and I'm trying to figure out the amount I need. She didn't give me a straight answer, she said everyone is different.

lisa32989
11-09-2013, 11:54 AM
a little frustrated to see the scale hasnt moved in 2 weeks. I am hovering over 158. I just started strength training but making sure I drink an extra shake right after my workout. I have lost 17 pounds so far. My trainer told me to eat carbs before a workout so I dont burn muscle. I am having a shake an hour before my workout obviously the carbs in it are negligent.

Please advise. Should I continue to drink a shake an hour before my workout and then a shake right after one? I can probably have a restricted packet before my workout.

Another thing I noticed, not getting enough water. I am hardly drinking any. I have resolved to drink a gallon a day starting today.
To be very blunt, your trainer doesn't know what he/she is talking about re: ketogenic diets. Get the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Then you'll know. Just being on a PSMF diet preserves muscle.

To increase your energy a bit, you might want to consider having your restricted prior to your workout but don't forget an extra packet after, as well (perhaps one of the 80-calories ones like the orange drink or peach-mango drink...there are a few others but I KNOW these b/c they are 2 of my favs).

You didn't say what type of workouts you have started but initiating an exercise routine can stall the scale temporarily. Since we're in this for the long-term health and wellness, adding exercise is a GOOD thing. Relax about the scale and know there are other ways to measure our progress.

Since you already have a trainer who has demonstrated lack of understanding of these diets (which are used ALL THE TIME by bodybuilders, btw), I'm also concerned you may be doing workouts that are too intensive for IP. We should only be doing moderate exercise at the most (like a brisk walk) and some strength training (but not super heavy).

lisa32989
11-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Happy Saturday! Sounds like everyone is having a great weekend. I just have a quick question. What is the mg's of Potassium for the Ideal Protein supplement. My coach wants me to use No Salt instead and I'm trying to figure out the amount I need. She didn't give me a straight answer, she said everyone is different.
She should have been able to look on the bottle!

99 mg of Potasium citrate.

If I had a coach that was recommending one product but couldn't answer questions about another product, I'd be concerned & wonder if I should switch coaches!

It is VERY important to get SALT on a ketogenic diet. That is why the salt is part of P1

yespositively
11-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Day 5 on IP and so far so good. I'm so glad it's the weekend and I can spend a bit more time roasting veggies and meal planning for the coming week. I have my WI on Wednesday and I need to think about what IP products I want to buy for the coming week.

I put a pork tenderloin in an IP compliant marinade this morning and am looking forward to a little break from chicken today. I know IP restricts exercise (this is so hard since I'm a runner and it's gorgeous out!), but I think I'll take a little walk around the neighborhood today and just be sure not to get my heart rate up too much.

Hiker88
11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Yespositively: Thanks for the comments... your right.. the scale doesn't bother me too much... my coach is always after me to not weigh so much but for the most part it doesn't affect my motivation and the days there's a big jump its pretty exciting!!

slownsteady
11-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I am not sure how I would have handled my son's three week visit radically differently - I see him only once a year and this one was between deployments and included getting engaged to a dear one we have always loved. We did not eat more than a few meals at home, we made numerous long roads trips to places he wanted to visit, and he and I shared some great times and meals together.

I can say without a minute's hesitance, that I would not in a million years question sharing time and home-cooked meals and road trips with my son under these circumstances!! The only thing to regret would be if you had NOT done these things! Cherish that time together!

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 01:00 PM
She should have been able to look on the bottle!

99 mg of Potasium citrate.

If I had a coach that was recommending one product but couldn't answer questions about another product, I'd be concerned & wonder if I should switch coaches!

It is VERY important to get SALT on a ketogenic diet. That is why the salt is part of P1

Geez, sorry I asked. My question is about potassium not salt. I am sodium sensitive and have to restrict my salt anyway, not that I asked for your advise on that. There's enough in these products for me. The No Salt is for the potassium supplement, not to replace the salt. I forgot to asked her what the mg's were for the Ideal Protein product, so I thought I would just ask here.

Hiker88
11-09-2013, 01:07 PM
One of the daily videos I get from IP recently had a great video on Potassium. He laid out how much you need a day, how much you get from veggies, how much from the supplement and how much from salt... not sure if you get the videos or not but I found it helpful. I will look at it again and post the numbers.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 01:18 PM
To be very blunt, your trainer doesn't know what he/she is talking about re: ketogenic diets. Get the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Then you'll know. Just being on a PSMF diet preserves muscle.

To increase your energy a bit, you might want to consider having your restricted prior to your workout but don't forget an extra packet after, as well (perhaps one of the 80-calories ones like the orange drink or peach-mango drink...there are a few others but I KNOW these b/c they are 2 of my favs).

You didn't say what type of workouts you have started but initiating an exercise routine can stall the scale temporarily. Since we're in this for the long-term health and wellness, adding exercise is a GOOD thing. Relax about the scale and know there are other ways to measure our progress.

Since you already have a trainer who has demonstrated lack of understanding of these diets (which are used ALL THE TIME by bodybuilders, btw), I'm also concerned you may be doing workouts that are too intensive for IP. We should only be doing moderate exercise at the most (like a brisk walk) and some strength training (but not super heavy).

Did it occur to you that perhaps her trainer doesn't know what type of diet she is on? Anyone who works out knows its carbs before and protein after with a normal diet. That's what any trainer would advise if they didn't understand or know about this food plan.

Hiker88
11-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Potassium: You need 2,000mg per day- a lot more if you sweat a lot

mushrooms: 1 cup: 400mg
Zucchini: 1 cup: 400 mg
Swiss chard: 1 cup 1,000mg

Suppliment is 99 mg
1/2 tsp salt contains 330 mg

Basically a lot of vegis are a good source but if your not doing the salt you could probably add a supplement (in my uneducated opinion!)

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 01:21 PM
One of the daily videos I get from IP recently had a great video on Potassium. He laid out how much you need a day, how much you get from veggies, how much from the supplement and how much from salt... not sure if you get the videos or not but I found it helpful. I will look at it again and post the numbers.

Thanks, for your reply. That would be great to see. I completely under my coaches response since it can come from so many sources. You have to know your own body and needs.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Potassium: You need 2,000mg per day- a lot more if you sweat a lot

mushrooms: 1 cup: 400mg
Zucchini: 1 cup: 400 mg
Swiss chard: 1 cup 1,000mg

Suppliment is 99 mg
1/2 tsp salt contains 330 mg

Basically a lot of vegis are a good source but if your not doing the salt you could probably add a supplement (in my uneducated opinion!)

Thanks again for the info. Very helpful.

jemma51
11-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks again for the info. Very helpful.

I am not very educated in the minerals found in food. Guess I should do some research. I haven't been taking potassium and have worried that I'm not getting enough but, if the values posted are accurate I should be getting plenty. Thanks for posting.

itzroxy814
11-09-2013, 01:43 PM
2nd weekend on IP and ugh, why is it so much harder than weekdays? Had to watch my husband and son enjoy some Dunkin Donuts this morning while I drank my hot chocolate (chocolate drink). I just experimented with some turnip fries.... won't be making those again! LOOK delicious but definitely not the same as a french fry :(

I'm heading to a store later that's supposed to have a huge Walden Farms selection. I haven't tried any of them yet. I am going to get ranch for veggies, thousand island for Big Mac in a bowl, chocolate syrup and pancake syrup.

Any other recommendations? I'd also like a good one for salad too!

schenectady
11-09-2013, 02:07 PM
I can say without a minute's hesitance, that I would not in a million years question sharing time and home-cooked meals and road trips with my son under these circumstances!! The only thing to regret would be if you had NOT done these things! Cherish that time together!

Thank you so much for saying that to me. It means a lot.

He is normally a pretty buttoned-up young man, not free with his emotions and sentiment. That is probably why he makes a superb Marine!

This trip, he was much more relaxed. One day, he asked me to "run by" a place where I could help him, sort of in a social media sort of way. I was confused but he would not bend.

It turned out that he was dropping my our family jeweler because he wanted to design an engagement ring for his fiancée. He did not really know the man who owns the shop and he wanted my help in design. In our family, my brothers were given stones from my mother's ring to make their now wives' rings. I had offered to him to continue the same tradition so my center stone became the center stone for his fiancée's ring.

Those are the sorts of interactions we had. We took a road trip for shopping and he wanted to stop at a cute restaurant called the Calico Cupboard - not a guy sort of place and definitely nothing IP! We had a great time (he was the only young man in the place) having curry pumpkin soup, homemade 9 grain bread and pumpkin pie! I will never forget the fun we had and so, yes, it was worth it.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 02:18 PM
2nd weekend on IP and ugh, why is it so much harder than weekdays? Had to watch my husband and son enjoy some Dunkin Donuts this morning while I drank my hot chocolate (chocolate drink). I just experimented with some turnip fries.... won't be making those again! LOOK delicious but definitely not the same as a french fry :(

I'm heading to a store later that's supposed to have a huge Walden Farms selection. I haven't tried any of them yet. I am going to get ranch for veggies, thousand island for Big Mac in a bowl, chocolate syrup and pancake syrup.

Try making "fries" with Kohlrabi. I think they taste just like real ones.
I love the pancake syrup. I have in the past made mini ice cubes out of it to eat when I crave sweets. I don't know how I thought of that!
I use the WF balsamic vinegarette, I mix it with the apple cider to cut the sodium in it. I've gone through a couple of jars of Chocolate Dip in the past, but haven't tried the syrup. I want to get the Honey Mustard dressing to make that chicken recipe I saw the other day on here.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Thank you so much for saying that to me. It means a lot.

He is normally a pretty buttoned-up young man, not free with his emotions and sentiment. That is probably why he makes a superb Marine!

This trip, he was much more relaxed. One day, he asked me to "run by" a place where I could help him, sort of in a social media sort of way. I was confused but he would not bend.

It turned out that he was dropping my our family jeweler because he wanted to design an engagement ring for his fiancée. He did not really know the man who owns the shop and he wanted my help in design. In our family, my brothers were given stones from my mother's ring to make their now wives' rings. I had offered to him to continue the same tradition so my center stone became the center stone for his fiancée's ring.

Those are the sorts of interactions we had. We took a road trip for shopping and he wanted to stop at a cute restaurant called the Calico Cupboard - not a guy sort of place and definitely nothing IP! We had a great time (he was the only young man in the place) having curry pumpkin soup, homemade 9 grain bread and pumpkin pie! I will never forget the fun we had and so, yes, it was worth it.

That just brought tears to my eyes.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Just thought of another WF I like. The original Barbque sauce or the thick & spicy. Use it on my hamburger or any meat, chicken, etc.

schenectady
11-09-2013, 02:27 PM
That just brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you all for the kindness. I am sort of blue these days without him as he was home for 3+ weeks. This is the first year he will not be able to make it home for Christmas because he will be in training for his next deployment.

I have always made a BIG deal of Christmas for the family and an even bigger deal when he flew all the way from Hawaii to be here.

This year, it will be my husband and me and our 19 year old son home from college. Most of our possessions are in storage, packed away since we have been trying to sell our house. It is off the market now until after the holidays but everything is still stark and weird - "staged".

Husband and I will just have to work extra hard to find extra cheer to share with our 'baby' of the family (we laugh when we say that because at 6 foot 4, he towers over all of us!)

Roni Lee
11-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I have been to the Calico Cupboard in Mt Vernon is that where you were? I enjoy wondering around the store shopping while waiting for lunch.

ReenHag
11-09-2013, 02:38 PM
ReenHag: Summer squash (green and yellow zucchini) are allowed while winter squash (acorn, butternut, spaghetti) are not.

Not according to my Phase 1 sheet or the one posted on these forums.

Fizzyizzy
11-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm finally done with IP and have decided it's time to remove the packets from my house. Anyone want to buy my leftover packets? Here's what I have:

3 x Blueberry Cranberry Drink (ex: 4/14)
1 x Chocolate Drink (ex: 1/15)
2 x Pink Lemonade (ex: 2/14)
1 x Tomato Basil Soup (ex: 4/14)

7 Packets total- would prefer for someone to buy all of them rather than splitting them up.

They're yours for $30.00, and I'll ship them for free from California. Best way to pay is probably via Paypal.

Personal Message me if you're interested!

sarahBell
11-09-2013, 02:47 PM
I am in onederland!!! I am down 2.x lbs for my WI. I am now 209 just 10lbs to squeak into ONEderland If I can be 100% OP I will get there in less than 3 weeks! My size 16 pants fit well, a bit snug for my liking so 2-4lbs more and I think it will fit better!

Today is good, I am doing well sticking to OP and it's a ***GASP*** Weekend LOL.

Cross my fingers on this one lOL.

dlr9774
11-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Are you using the chocolate pudding mix for those IP pancakes? Can you post the recipe? I don't like the pudding.

Actually I used the chocolate pancake from IP. - I believe it is being discountued.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Allowed veggies include zucchini, that is a summer "squash". That includes the yellow variety, long one with thin skin. I just check my sheet. Plus I ate a ton of zucchini when I lost my 59 lbs. You ca also confirm with your coach.

dalvarez
11-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Help! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it almost feels like an emergency. I'm five days into phase 1 protocol and I've been so amazingly good. I'm super proud of myself. But I've been able to stay on program because it's been the work week and I plan everything out. I had today planned out too but just got a last minute invite to dinner with some friends I haven't seen in forever.

Dinner is at a Chinese food joint that I've never been to before and my health coach has told me that I can eat out as long as I ask about how they prepare things (no butter, sugar, etc.) but do any of you more seasoned IP-ers know what I should order in a Chinese place? I'm thinking just grilled chicken (like how they make it for teriyaki but without the teriyaki sauce) and steamed broccoli.

I can smuggle my salt in to season myself but is there anything else I should be on the look out for so I don't have an unintentional slip up? Dinner is in five hours and I feel like I'm having a total meltdown not knowing what to order.
Thanks!
-Dani

yespositively
11-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Help! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it almost feels like an emergency. I'm five days into phase 1 protocol and I've been so amazingly good. I'm super proud of myself. But I've been able to stay on program because it's been the work week and I plan everything out. I had today planned out too but just got a last minute invite to dinner with some friends I haven't seen in forever.

Dinner is at a Chinese food joint that I've never been to before and my health coach has told me that I can eat out as long as I ask about how they prepare things (no butter, sugar, etc.) but do any of you more seasoned IP-ers know what I should order in a Chinese place? I'm thinking just grilled chicken (like how they make it for teriyaki but without the teriyaki sauce) and steamed broccoli.

I can smuggle my salt in to season myself but is there anything else I should be on the look out for so I don't have an unintentional slip up? Dinner is in five hours and I feel like I'm having a total meltdown not knowing what to order.
Thanks!
-Dani

There's an approved soy sauce on the p1 sheet. I think you're on the right track-- steamed veggies and chicken. Smuggle in your own seasoning.

44forever
11-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Hi. I am on my first day of the IP again. I was on it about a year and a half ago and lost almost 30lbs in 9 weeks, but I was away from my hubby at the time for work. I moved back home and there wasn't a IP clinic around so I had to go off it. I am back on it as there is a clinic about 1/2 hr away now which makes me happy.

I do remember that weekends were tough, but if you keep yourself busy it will help. Try the WF products one at a time to make sure that you don't waste your money. I might get some backlash here but I do not like most of their products. They either do not have any taste or taste like drywall (or what I would think that drywall tastes like!). If you find something that you like let me know. I did not like the jam, the choc syrup and I could only handle one kind of salad dressing....it was a sundried tomato or something like that. This time I am going to experiment on just using olive oil, soya sauce, lemon juice and seasonings to dress up my salad.

I researched the website forums alot before I started up this time and have acquired many recipes to keep me from getting stagnant with the same ol' thing.

Maybe we can be chat buddies since we both just started...:carrot: |(I lov the carrot!)

dalvarez
11-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Just spent the last twenty minutes reading the FAQ's and Newbie posts and stuff. Sorry I crashed the daily chat with a silly question.
I just got off the phone with my friend, feigned being totally cool with going out to a restaurant full of sugar, MSG and carbs and then proceeded to freak out and didn't know where else to turn.
This is the first diet I've ever been on and I'm 31 years old. I've always just eaten whatever I felt like and if I thought I was getting a little too squishy I'd quit lattes or soda for a while. I'm on IP to lose some weight to help with fertility issues and there's just so many different things to keep track of and I'm a little overwhelmed.

Anyway, not a great way to introduce myself to the group I guess. So, hi! I'm Dani and I'm having a rough first Saturday OP. Thanks for being patient with me. :)

sarahBell
11-09-2013, 03:32 PM
I know that the soups are not popular in taste. I have made the tomato basil soup only a few times since I started. I found a way to doctor itup so it taste GOOD not so artificial and fake.

I sautéed my veggies (today I did spinach, mushrooms and zucchini) in a pan on the stove until they were soft, seasoned them with sea salt, fresh grated garlic cloves (I used 3) and Mrs Dash Table blend. I mixed up the soup and added 10ml extra water ( I do this because I make it in a skillet) and added it to the veggies. The fresh garlic gives it a boost of freshness and can help hide that blah taste!

You can also add in some fresh grated ginger, cardamom pods and cilantro on top to freshen it up!

HTH someone with a blah tasting packet!

yespositively
11-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Is the premade chocolate drink seriously not restricted? It was delicious!!

lighthouse101
11-09-2013, 03:39 PM

I have used the recipe below, which is for waffles, but it works fine making it into pancakes on a griddle too:

Ideal Protein Pudding Waffle Recipe
Note: Turns an unrestricted pudding packet into a waffle that fills you up
1 egg white
1/3 cup of water
Pinch of baking soda
Pinch of nutmeg (or cinnamon), optional
1 tsp of vanilla extract, optional
1 IP pudding packet
Combine first 5 ingredients and beat with whisk until frothy.
Add pudding packet, stirring continually.
Heat waffle iron, spray with olive oil spray. Add half the batter to waffle iron.
Cook for 1-2 minutes (or until done depending on your iron)
Top with Walden Farm's syrup and enjoy!

sarahBell
11-09-2013, 03:41 PM

IT is super good!! I mix mine with some decaf strong brewed coffee and ice. I do a 50/50 mix, so I don't end up using a full bottle! Add some ice and it's a sweet mock mocha OR blend it up with the ice for a mock frappe! Drizzle in some WF chocolate syrup and its all good :broc:

yespositively
11-09-2013, 03:46 PM
IT is super good!! I mix mine with some decaf strong brewed coffee and ice. I do a 50/50 mix, so I don't end up using a full bottle! Add some ice and it's a sweet mock mocha OR blend it up with the ice for a mock frappe! Drizzle in some WF chocolate syrup and its all good :broc:

I definitely don't need more chocolate but I love the idea of making it into a frap. Would make it last longer and it's really rich so would be fine diluted a little. I "saved" some of the good stuff in my sample pack and am just now getting to the good stuff. I has the apple cinnamon soy crisps yesterday and they were fabulous. I'm not sure I'll be picking up any soup on Wednesday.

sarahBell
11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I definitely don't need more chocolate but I love the idea of making it into a frap. Would make it last longer and it's really rich so would be fine diluted a little. I "saved" some of the good stuff in my sample pack and am just now getting to the good stuff. I has the apple cinnamon soy crisps yesterday and they were fabulous. I'm not sure I'll be picking up any soup on Wednesday.

I really like the Veg. Chili. It is so good, esp when you add sautéed veggies into it and simmer on the stove for 5-10 mins on low heat covered. I love garlic so I add a full clove or two to every soup I make!

lighthouse101
11-09-2013, 03:52 PM
NSV! I went diving this morning and fit very easily into a medium BC jacket - was still in a large just about a month ago when I last dove. Yay!

sologirl
11-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Definitely the bbq sauce! It adds a good flavor to chicken breasts...im going to try it on steak tonight:). I think the caramel syrup is a lot better than the chocolate as well....the ranch is not so good but i like the thousand island one on my salad better.

I hear ya about the weekends being harder! My hubby is currently eating the bag of reese penut butter cups he brought home for a 'treat' !! He thought they would be ok for my 'diet'.... Lol

sarahBell
11-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Definitely the bbq sauce! It adds a good flavor to chicken breasts...im going to try it on steak tonight:). I think the caramel syrup is a lot better than the chocolate as well....the ranch is not so good but i like the thousand island one on my salad better.

I hear ya about the weekends being harder! My hubby is currently eating the bag of reese penut butter cups he brought home for a 'treat' !! He thought they would be ok for my 'diet'.... Lol

I did not know that WF made a caramel syrup!!! I guess I over looked it at the store!! This just made my whole day!! OOOHHH a chocolate mug cake drizzled with caramel mmmmmmm boy!

yespositively
11-09-2013, 04:09 PM
I really like the Veg. Chili. It is so good, esp when you add sautéed veggies into it and simmer on the stove for 5-10 mins on low heat covered. I love garlic so I add a full clove or two to every soup I make!

Good recommendation. DH loves chili and I was wondering if there were any IP compliant chili recipes we could share. At least with veg chili we would be eating the same thing!

IdealProteinNewbie
11-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Green and yellow zucchini is 100% allowed, I promise. Enjoy!

JaneDeaux
11-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks!
-Dani

I love steamed Happy Family, or steamed shrimp with broccoli, or steamed chicken and broccoli. Ask for no sauce and no rice. Sometimes I add a little sashimi. Yum Yum. My favorite Chinese restaurant is really accommodating to my requests and it's such a treat to eat this food!

ReenHag
11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Allowed veggies include zucchini, that is a summer "squash". That includes the yellow variety, long one with thin skin. I just check my sheet. Plus I ate a ton of zucchini when I lost my 59 lbs. You ca also confirm with your coach.

Green and yellow zucchini is 100% allowed, I promise. Enjoy!

Okay, I never called the yellow variety "zucchini"; always thought that zucchini was just the green kind. Thanks!

I am in onederland!!! I am down 2.x lbs for my WI. I am now 209 just 10lbs to squeak into ONEderland If I can be 100% OP I will get there in less than 3 weeks! My size 16 pants fit well, a bit snug for my liking so 2-4lbs more and I think it will fit better!

Today is good, I am doing well sticking to OP and it's a ***GASP*** Weekend LOL.

Cross my fingers on this one lOL.

Way to go!

Thank you all for the kindness. I am sort of blue these days without him as he was home for 3+ weeks. This is the first year he will not be able to make it home for Christmas because he will be in training for his next deployment.

Please thank him for his service, and I thank you and your family for your sacrifice. I am glad you had a nice visit!

Just spent the last twenty minutes reading the FAQ's and Newbie posts and stuff. Sorry I crashed the daily chat with a silly question.
I just got off the phone with my friend, feigned being totally cool with going out to a restaurant full of sugar, MSG and carbs and then proceeded to freak out and didn't know where else to turn.
This is the first diet I've ever been on and I'm 31 years old. I've always just eaten whatever I felt like and if I thought I was getting a little too squishy I'd quit lattes or soda for a while. I'm on IP to lose some weight to help with fertility issues and there's just so many different things to keep track of and I'm a little overwhelmed.

Anyway, not a great way to introduce myself to the group I guess. So, hi! I'm Dani and I'm having a rough first Saturday OP. Thanks for being patient with me. :)

Hi, Dani! I hope your dinner goes well. Yes, i would ask for steamed or baked meat (or sauteed, but NOT in sesame oil- ask if they have olive) and some steamed veg, no sauce or anything. Avoid MSG, too. Enjoy your dinner and friends!

JaneDeaux
11-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Mine either. My coach and I had this debate. She says no to the yellow squash, but agrees that yellow zucchini is on program. So I now call yellow squash "yellow zucchini" and it hasn't affected me too badly. That's not to say I eat it very often but upon occasion I do.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 05:20 PM

I always add 2oz of ground beef to mine, then subtract that from dinner protein. Really makes it seem like "real" chili. I add veggies too.

yespositively
11-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I always add 2oz of ground beef to mine, then subtract that from dinner protein. Really makes it seem like "real" chili. I add veggies too.

Was definitely planning on that! I can't eat a full 8oz in one sitting so splitting it up is really helpful.

sarahBell
11-09-2013, 07:27 PM

I agree!!! Even ground turkey makes it even better! You can par/blanch boil 1/2 a green bell pepper add in the chili and broil for abt 10-12 mins and have a stuffed pepper super yummy!

dlr9774
11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
What does OP and all these codes mean, I am sorry but I am new to Ideal Protein (IP).

dlr9774
11-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Happy weekend all!

IP POWER!

Great Job!

yespositively
11-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Bought ketostix today at Walgreens. My boyfriend kind of laughed at me but they are motivational! Ketosis all the way!

schenectady
11-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I have been to the Calico Cupboard in Mt Vernon is that where you were? I enjoy wondering around the store shopping while waiting for lunch.

Roni Lee - I did not know until you asked that there are 3 Calico Cupboards, all part of the same chain. There are ones in La Conner (where we were), Mt. Vernon and Anacortes, WA. Great relaxing place.

Slipfree
11-09-2013, 07:59 PM
What does OP and all these codes mean, I am sorry but I am new to Ideal Protein (IP).

Welcome

Check out the first page of the chat for translation. OP= on program, NSV= non scale victory.

pbailey66
11-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm new to this forum, but have been on IP since April 2013. I've recently had bunion surgery and was wondering if anybody else has experience being OP while recovering from a surgery?

Pixie111
11-09-2013, 10:42 PM

Did it occur to you that perhaps her trainer doesn't know what type of diet she is on? Anyone who works out knows its carbs before and protein after with a normal diet. That's what any trainer would advise if they didn't understand or know about this food plan.

yespositively ecdcslim - Thank you for the advise

Lisa thank you for the reply. [B]Hockeymom40[B] is right - the trainer does not know that I am on this diet. I will cut down on the intensity and work out only for 30 min three times a week. I have been working out for an hour 3 times a week (just started last week). I will have a restricted before the workout and an extra shake after.

masenki
11-09-2013, 10:57 PM

and low in carbs too. try it warm in microwave. delish. why fav way to close the day.

Deana509
11-09-2013, 11:15 PM
So I have to vent a little. I have no freaking clue what I am going to do about my best friends wedding... We have to order my dress, because the wedding is in January, but by that time, I'm pretty sure I will have lost a ton of inches.... so I don't know what to do... she wants to order it based on my current size (and she's paying for it, so she's the one placing the order).... I only went down about 3 inches on my hips since I started, and that's the biggest area, and concern currently... I'm concerned because I don't know what to say to her to get her to believe I will probably drop at least 5 more inches in the coming 2 months, and that we should probably drop at least 3 inches off my current size, but even then, I don't KNOW where I'll be so I can't say if it will or wont be..... It's just very frustrating, and I don't have the answers...

yespositively
11-09-2013, 11:32 PM
So I have to vent a little. I have no freaking clue what I am going to do about my best friends wedding... We have to order my dress, because the wedding is in January, but by that time, I'm pretty sure I will have lost a ton of inches.... so I don't know what to do... she wants to order it based on my current size (and she's paying for it, so she's the one placing the order).... I only went down about 3 inches on my hips since I started, and that's the biggest area, and concern currently... I'm concerned because I don't know what to say to her to get her to believe I will probably drop at least 5 more inches in the coming 2 months, and that we should probably drop at least 3 inches off my current size, but even then, I don't KNOW where I'll be so I can't say if it will or wont be..... It's just very frustrating, and I don't have the answers...

I lost 30lbs from the time I bought a bridesmaids dress to the wedding. I would suggest getting the bigger size, then paying for alterations yourself in early January. It's easier than taking a dress out and will be one less thing for your friend to worry about.

Hockeymom40
11-09-2013, 11:56 PM
I agree!!! Even ground turkey makes it even better! You can par/blanch boil 1/2 a green bell pepper add in the chili and broil for abt 10-12 mins and have a stuffed pepper super yummy!

Sounds good, I will have to try that. Thanks for the idea.

safetylady
11-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Had the same type of problem for my son's wedding this year. Ended up ordering as they suggested, a size 14 but then had to have it alterations done down to a size 10, thanks to Ideal Protein. They are able to alter to you. Besides, it will feel wonderful to try on a dress that is way too big.

Wahoofan
11-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Deana - I am in the middle of this problem for a January wedding too. I convinced them to order one size smaller (can zip and wear if I had to, but tight in places) so that it hopefully won't need too much alteration. So few of us fit things off the rack anyway that alterations are the norm for bridesmaids dresses.

sekc14
11-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Deana, you are doing so good! It's probably disheartening that your friend doesn't have faith in you (or seemingly since she is ignoring your weight loss direction). Things like this can be upsetting and in some cases could potentially derail someone's efforts. Probably there is no way to order the dress to avoid requiring alterations when it arrives unless it is not a fitted style. Having said that, here's what I've read about sizing charts.

In the plus sizes like 1X, 2X, 3X there is a wide range of weights per size, as much as 30 lbs before changing sizes. Even if you don't consider the variation in sized based on style, manuf, etc. In regular sizes, it's about 10 lbs per size. Of course, this depends on height too. You may drop an entire size by January but would the stress of *having* to lose weight for a multitude of reasons help or hinder your progress? I'd say weight loss and staying OP are more important than the money spent for alterations. So, if it's going to stress everyone out to order a smaller size, don't do it. My sister has been extremely supportive of my IP weight loss successes in the past. She rooted for me every step. Her positive input meant almost as much to me as my actual weight loss. It was healing on two levels. My wish for you is that you feel supported by your friend in your weight loss efforts and that she feels supported by you in her wedding day planning endeavors. Be her support and you will feel good. Ask, how can I make my friend feel special about her upcoming special day? That will be a win - win

Misstiff
11-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Just dropping to report still doing great day 2 of vacation. Went to Dollywood yesterday and there were temptations left and right. I hope that I will be able to continue keep positive thoughts and not waver. Hope everyone else is stay OP and has a great Sunday.

Jenny38
11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
I have used the recipe below, which is for waffles, but it works fine making it into pancakes on a griddle too:

1 egg white
1/3 cup of water
Pinch of baking soda
1 IP pudding packet
Heat waffle iron, spray with olive oil spray. Add half the batter to waffle iron.

Thanks lighthouse101, I'm going to make them tomorrow.

44forever
11-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Day 2. Had some headaches yesterday evening, but made it through no problem. Actually woke up with a headache today so I am going to do the salt in my water today to keep them at bay.

Happy day everyone,

ReenHag
11-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Day 2. Had some headaches yesterday evening, but made it through no problem. Actually woke up with a headache today so I am going to do the salt in my water today to keep them at bay.

Happy day everyone,

Good idea! I know the first few days are rough, but it is so worth it! Stay strong!

Hiker88
11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Deana: How exciting to look forward to a wedding where you will be thinner! I am photographing my cousins wedding in June and don't want my 50 relatives staring at my huge butt while I take pictures.... great motivation!

NW Lady
11-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Reporting question here for hopefully more visibility?

Forgive me if this info is in an obvious spot.

I seem to remember a few months ago someone mentioned in a post that there is a book out there that lays out a nutritionally similar plan to IP but without any packets-- using only "real" foods. Does anybody remember the name or author?

IdealProteinNewbie
11-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Reporting question here for hopefully more visibility?

Forgive me if this info is in an obvious spot.

I seem to remember a few months ago someone mentioned in a post that there is a book out there that lays out a nutritionally similar plan to IP but without any packets-- using only "real" foods. Does anybody remember the name or author?

I could be mistaken, but are you thinking of "The Simple Diet?"

schenectady
11-10-2013, 10:37 AM
So I have to vent a little. I have no freaking clue what I am going to do about my best friends wedding... ..... It's just very frustrating, and I don't have the answers...

Deana509 - you are in a tough situation regardless. Here is my two cents as I sit watching my soon to be daughter in law planning the wedding.

It is hard to be the bride with so many details and their nerves are often stretched. They, too, often find that their size changes and they have to wear a wedding dress where they are the center of attention.

The day before my wedding I was at the tailor's seeing if they could squeeze a teeny bit more out of the seams because I had gained weight with the stress and eating out.

It is VERY hard to do that and much easier taking it in. I am not saying it is easy to take in let's say 5 inches, but it certainly is doable and no crisis. It would also mean that you could have it tailored for where you have lost the inches by then since there is no way to predict that part, regardless.

The reverse is NOT true because if it is too small for whatever reason (had a detour, hit a plateau, whatever) a new dress cannot be ordered in time. If it is too small, it either cannot be worn or is going to make you uncomfortable and make you very self conscious and maybe worried about the bride's reaction to a too small dress.

My advice would be to order the dress as you are today in a very snug fit, but wearable size. Then at a point a week or so before the wedding )if you have the dress by then) do a fitting and be sure you have a tailor around to help take it in. Even if it is not a perfect tailoring situation, you will at least have SOMETHING to wear, whereas if it for any reason has gone the other direction, you are truly stuck with NOTHING to wear?

In no way do I mean to imply you will not do really well and lose lots before the wedding as you have done really well. It just seems that one choice means you have options and the other choice, going smaller in the dress, could leave no options at the last moment.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

NW Lady
11-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I could be mistaken, but are you thinking of "The Simple Diet?"

Thank you. I don't know. I think it may have been Lisa who was recommending it to someone who was feeling they couldn't continue with packets for adverse effects or due to cost.

I'll look this up!

lighthouse101
11-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

Have any of you experienced issues with low blood pressure after being on IP for a while? I've been OP for 12 weeks. When I started, my blood pressure was getting a little high - in the prehypertensive range.

In the last couple of weeks, it's been hovering around 95/65 or so, and I am getting lightheaded and dizzy an awful lot. I am drinking all my water and getting my salt in, so I'm not sure what more to do. I'm glad my blood pressure is out of the high range, but I'm not doing well with this lightheadedness now. Has anyone else experienced this?

yespositively
11-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Happy Sunday all!

Yesterday was a kind of rough day on IP for me-- the first half of the day went well but I got to dinner and it was a crapshoot. Just was NOT hungry. I hope this is a side effect of ketosis and will go away over time. Zero appetite. I managed to choke down about 1/4c of zucchini and 3oz pork tenderloin. It was good I just couldn't eat.

Opened two different restricted items and did not like either. Figures I have a giant headache this morning (I actually get headaches all the time, not just IP). I let myself sleep in this morning and am taking it easy today.

I guess on the plus side I didn't go "off" plan persay, but I do wish I could get my body's rhythm to cooperate with this diet.

lisa32989
11-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Deana: Lots of smart people have already made great suggestions. Especially the info from sekc14 about switching sizes slower in plus sizes (sure happened to me!). I'd be all about getting the smallest dress you can fit into now and looking forward to the very proud day when alterations to a smaller you can be made! I'd just wait until the very last moment possible for alterations, without stressing your friend the bride out too much.

NW Lady: I didn't suggest other "real food" diets but I know others have gone on them. I think IPnewbie is right, it might be the Simple Diet. But Atkins, South Beach, and many others are real food with similar approaches. Is the premade chocolate drink seriously not restricted? It was delicious!!
Yes, ma'am it is! And it is delicious as hot chocolate and it is delicious in the blender with ice (almost tastes like a Wendy's Frosty, at least as close as I remember).

Welcome to the forum! If you go to post #1 of this thread, the codes are explained (I see someone already gave you some interpretations) but there are also MANY links for resources to get you started.

I'm new to this forum, but have been on IP since April 2013. I've recently had bunion surgery and was wondering if anybody else has experience being OP while recovering from a surgery?
Many people have! The great thing is that IP doesn't require exercise.
I started IP after I had mostly recovered from my bunion surgery (May 2012 and started IP Aug 2012). It was during the recovery I realized just how physically miserable I was.

Lisa thank you for the reply. - the trainer does not know that I am on this diet. I will cut down on the intensity and work out only for 30 min three times a week. I have been working out for an hour 3 times a week (just started last week). I will have a restricted before the workout and an extra shake after.
Be sure your trainer and other professionals you work with (doctors, etc) are in the loop!
My trainer is still "old school" too when it comes to nutrition. I resorted to explaining that I had metabolic resistance (which he didn't know anything about) and also gluten sensitive. He leaves me alone about my diet now.

Another good way to stop them from pursuing their "party line" on nutrition is to just say that IP is medically supervised.

Have any of you experienced issues with low blood pressure after being on IP for a while? I've been OP for 12 weeks. When I started, my blood pressure was getting a little high - in the prehypertensive range.

In the last couple of weeks, it's been hovering around 95/65 or so, and I am getting lightheaded and dizzy an awful lot. I am drinking all my water and getting my salt in, so I'm not sure what more to do. I'm glad my blood pressure is out of the high range, but I'm not doing well with this lightheadedness now. Has anyone else experienced this?
Many people have! Some have found just increasing the salt a little helped (some lick some & some add it to all of their water). So, in the short-term, try that but I'd also suggest checking in with your doctor. We don't want to mess-around when it comes to symptoms that may be jeopardizing our health!

Ketogenic diets can be very dehydrating & since we are all different, some need more salt than others. The salt also affects other systems in our bodies. Things change so very quickly when we're on IP. One moment we have adverse health symptoms requiring meds (examples could include high blood pressure or Type 2 Diabetes) and the next we're off the meds and dealing with sometimes opposite symptoms.

PurpleMomster
11-10-2013, 12:21 PM
So now that we've hijacked the daily chat with our dog talk :D Sorry everyone!

Here's a question. How much coffee do you drink daily and have you seen it effect your losses? I drink 2 -3 cups a day with splashes of EAS French vanilla as 'creamer' and 1 Splenda each time. I don't see a slow down in losses but actually think it helps me stay OP. A cup of coffee in the afternoon stops the 'snacks' feeling

I probably have 2 or 3 cups a day as well - on my second as we speak :D I don't put anything but a Splenda in mine though, never liked the taste of milk or cream in my coffee. I did buy a couple of the RTD vanilla drinks last week to use to make my own gingerbread lattes (just a regular cup of coffee with a splash of vanilla drink and some sugar free gingerbread or whatever syrup) but I haven't tried it yet. My son has a hockey practice this afternoon, maybe I'll make one then.

Hello all!

It's been a busy weekend even if it is a long one :) My sister is in the hospital - she has a cancerous portion of her colon removed Tuesday morning - so we've been up a few times visiting her. She was doing well but started on "light" food - broth, tea, jello - and threw up a few times which, considering how big her incision is was not a good thing :( Anyway, I'm glad she's still in the hospital so they can help her with this rather than it happening at home.

After all the talk yesterday on here about chili, I made some last night for supper! Nothing spectacular, just extra lean ground beef, cut up roasted peppers, a bit of canned tomatoes (no extra added sugar), WF ketchup for more tomato flavour and lots of seasonings - yum! Made a double batch so I have some for supper tonight, yeah!

My son and I are going with friends on a bus tour next weekend down to Minneapolis. I was very happy to see on the itinerary that we're stopping at the mall in Fargo so I can have Subway for lunch and then we're heading to the Mall of America around dinner time so I can find something there to eat. I'm going to have to figure out breakfasts but I think the rest of the meals should be fairly easy.

Happy Sunday all!
Jo

dlr9774
11-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Deana: How exciting to look forward to a wedding where you will be thinner! I am photographing my cousins wedding in June and don't want my 50 relatives staring at my huge butt while I take pictures.... great motivation!

By the time of the wedding, they will all be staring because your skinny Minnie and healthy!:p

dlr9774
11-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks lighthouse101, I'm going to make them tomorrow.

I had this "pudding"pancake this morning and enjoyed with 0,0,0, syrpe.;) I would recommend experimenting.

dlr9774
11-10-2013, 12:31 PM

1 egg white
1/3 cup of water
Pinch of baking soda
1 IP pudding packet

I had this "pudding" pancake this morning and was really a treat with 0,0,0, syrpe.

dlr9774
11-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Hi. I am on my first day of the IP again. I was on it about a year and a half ago and lost almost 30lbs in 9 weeks, but I was away from my hubby at the time for work. I moved back home and there wasn't a IP clinic around so I had to go off it. I am back on it as there is a clinic about 1/2 hr away now which makes me happy.

I do remember that weekends were tough, but if you keep yourself busy it will help. Try the WF products one at a time to make sure that you don't waste your money. I might get some backlash here but I do not like most of their products. They either do not have any taste or taste like drywall (or what I would think that drywall tastes like!). If you find something that you like let me know. I did not like the jam, the choc syrup and I could only handle one kind of salad dressing....it was a sundried tomato or something like that. This time I am going to experiment on just using olive oil, soya sauce, lemon juice and seasonings to dress up my salad.

I researched the website forums alot before I started up this time and have acquired many recipes to keep me from getting stagnant with the same ol' thing.

Maybe we can be chat buddies since we both just started...:carrot: |(I lov the carrot!)

Great to have you on 3 Fat Chicks, I am new for2 weeks and have lost 12lbs. I do like the WF thousand islands dressing and the raspberry jam, and chocolate syrpe (I add to crispy rice for am, and have coco puffs....:oGood Luck

ReenHag
11-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Hubby made a pot roast yesterday with some celery, zucchini, turnips, and a few tomatoes. I can't even TELL you how delish this was! I haven't had turnips since I was a kid, and OMG! I ate the leftovereg for lunch mixed with IP rotini; it was like a bowl of veggie noodle soup.

Does anyone else do anything amazing with turnips? I know you can make chips, which I may try this week, and mash, which we tried the other day. The mash tasted good but was a bit runny.

Have a good Sunday afternoon and a great OP week!

Renee

Roni Lee
11-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I have purged my closet of warm weather clothes other than a few skirts and tops that i am hanging onto for a vacation we have planned in January. I will be a lot thinner or naked come spring. No going back.

dalvarez
11-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Made it through dinner last night at the Chinese food place though it was a little rough. The food I ordered (lemon chicken) came breaded and covered in a thick obviously sugar filled sauce. So I ate my side of broccoli and drank lots of water and had a protein package meal when I got home. It threw me off my schedule a little bit, and I'm a little bummed I paid for chicken I couldn't eat but I shared with the table and borrowed some of my friends teriyaki chicken that hadn't got sauced yet.
Today I'm trying a muffin/cupcake recipe with one of the chocolate pudding packets to see if it makes the pudding any more palatable. The pudding itself is kind of chalky.
This is my first weekend on IP and it's been super rough. I've done really well though and I'm super proud of myself. Hopefully that reflects on my first weigh in on Tuesday!
Hope you all had beautiful weekends.
-Dani

yespositively
11-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Made it through dinner last night at the Chinese food place though it was a little rough. The food I ordered (lemon chicken) came breaded and covered in a thick obviously sugar filled sauce. So I ate my side of broccoli and drank lots of water and had a protein package meal when I got home. It threw me off my schedule a little bit, and I'm a little bummed I paid for chicken I couldn't eat but I shared with the table and borrowed some of my friends teriyaki chicken that hadn't got sauced yet.
Today I'm trying a muffin/cupcake recipe with one of the chocolate pudding packets to see if it makes the pudding any more palatable. The pudding itself is kind of chalky.
This is my first weekend on IP and it's been super rough. I've done really well though and I'm super proud of myself. Hopefully that reflects on my first weigh in on Tuesday!
Hope you all had beautiful weekends.
-Dani

That's great will power Dani. I'm hiding out from restaurants for a little while-- skipped a bar outing last night. DH and I stayed in and watched a movie.

I'm a newbie, too. I started last Tuesday and due to schedules have my first WI on Wednesday. I've been OP except not getting enough veggies. I made a soup today that's yellow zucchini, NF chicken stock, and curry spices. It's spicy and creamy and a sneaky way for me to get veggies. I've decided to restrict red meat to once a week (actually, that's been a rule of mine for quite a while!), and tonight is steak night!

Roni Lee
11-10-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar056/cartoonblob01/lb/205/160/192/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

schenectady
11-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I have purged my closet of warm weather clothes other than a few skirts and tops that i am hanging onto for a vacation we have planned in January. I will be a lot thinner or naked come spring. No going back.

You make me giggle. I have taken very similar action in giving away ANYTHING have grown out of, both warm and cold weather. I did think of it like you, as no going back. but I love your statement of being either skinnier or naked! I will continue to picture that when I get tempted to cheat!

berteau
11-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Random question, but are poblano chilis an IP approved veggie for phase I?

I have been craving soup, especially an IP modified Pozole but need to know if poblanos and other chilis are IP-friendly.

How about chipotle peppers too while I'm asking :)

Thanks!

Sonyasbug
11-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Random question, but are poblano chilis an IP approved veggie for phase I?

I have been craving soup, especially an IP modified Pozole but need to know if poblanos and other chilis are IP-friendly.

How about chipotle peppers too while I'm asking :)

Thanks!

I've counted all peppers the same. So in imo a pepper is a pepper.

nolasmurf
11-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Woke up today with an upset stomach and it's been plaguing me all day. Really hope I didn't catch the bug thats going around! :(

It's been a craptastic weekend so I'm hoping it's just being tired.

Hope everyone else is well.

berteau
11-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I've counted all peppers the same. So in imo a pepper is a pepper.

Thanks Sonyasbug and congrats on being so close to goal! I'll post my soup recipe to the recipe board when I try it out.

Hockeymom40
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi all,

I did but I was on blood pressure meds that needed to be adjusted. You should talk to your doctor.

Hockeymom40
11-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Hubby made a pot roast yesterday with some celery, zucchini, turnips, and a few tomatoes. I can't even TELL you how delish this was! I haven't had turnips since I was a kid, and OMG! I ate the leftovereg for lunch mixed with IP rotini; it was like a bowl of veggie noodle soup.

Does anyone else do anything amazing with turnips? I know you can make chips, which I may try this week, and mash, which we tried the other day. The mash tasted good but was a bit runny.

Have a good Sunday afternoon and a great OP week!

Renee
I
I saw someone made the turnip fries and put the chili on top of it. I thought that sounded good

yespositively
11-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Woke up today with an upset stomach and it's been plaguing me all day. Really hope I didn't catch the bug thats going around! :(

It's been a craptastic weekend so I'm hoping it's just being tired.

Hope everyone else is well.

Ugh sorry you had a bad day! My yesterday was rough. Crap appetite and a gross headache. Today was better. Good dinner, got my veggies in, and got some sewing done (I'm a quilter). Now I need to clean out my closet-- a friend got a new job and I'm going to give her my old 14s. Clearing them out is cathartic!

Hope you feel better. Have some tea and get to bed early!

kelseys928
11-10-2013, 10:42 PM
so I have weigh in number 6 on Wednesday but I have an awful habit of going on the scale everyday at home. This week i was getting stressed because it was not moving at all and then today I WAS UP!! has this happened to anyone? Now I am even more worried because I only have 2 days to lose weight!! I have not cheated at all and don't see anything in my week I did differently

Ruth Ann
11-10-2013, 10:58 PM
so I have weigh in number 6 on Wednesday but I have an awful habit of going on the scale everyday at home. This week i was getting stressed because it was not moving at all and then today I WAS UP!! has this happened to anyone? Now I am even more worried because I only have 2 days to lose weight!! I have not cheated at all and don't see anything in my week I did differently

Take a deep breath Kelseys! Your weight will fluctuate day to day depending on all kinds of factors - TOM or an increased sodium intake will cause you to retain water along with a host of other reasons. Also, you've lost a lot of weight in a short period and your body may need a little reset time - most people experience a slow down around week 4 to 7.

The scale is only one measure of how you are doing - measurements also tell the tale. I've had weeks where I've lost very little weight but lots of inches and vice versa.

Finally, if it's going to stress you out to weigh every day then hide your scale. Seriously. The extra stress is not good for you! You know the program works, just relax, stay OP and let the pounds come off! You can do this!