General Diet Plans and Questions - Intermittent Fasting Support Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShrinkingStudent
11-09-2013, 02:48 AM
So as the last support thread has run over the 500 limit I thought I may as well start up the new one so everyone can continue to keep encouraging each other to stay on track. So here is the new thread for all different kinds of Intermittent Fasting support and encouragement .

I'm fairly new to IF and have been doing it for just over 9 weeks combining it with a relatively healthy diet and significant calorie deficit and have manged to drop an awesome 14.4kg (approx 31 pounds) in the 9 weeks I've been doing it as 18/6 mixing with 16/8. I hope everyone is able to help each other along and get the results you want. I shall keep updated as i head for my final dream goal i never would of believed i could have reached without IF.

LoseToAll
11-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I have been on the 5:2 fasting diet and wow it has worked. Almost four weeks and down 10 pounds. I have tried just eating 500 calories all day or skipping two meals then having a 500 calorie meal and both work. However I feel more success with skipping two meals and having a nice meal. Plus every thing I have read about Intermittent fasting it is better to have a true fast day for the growth hormone and insulin.

ShrinkingStudent. Thanks for starting a new thread. Wow you have done great on IF. Have you been exercising? That is something I have to add but I am scared because every time I start I gain at first and I have worked so hard I just can't see the scale go up.

Well hope you have a great OP day.

ShrinkingStudent
11-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Hey LoseToAll, mostly I've just been on a 7000 calorie weekly approx calorie defict, and some days going for an hour walk when i've been fasted for 12-20 hours. I think most of my easy loss comes from my young age and the fact that i will strictly follow my callories.

jaob
11-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Hello fellow IFers! I just got done with the LONG IF thread and thought I would join this new thread! I have been on and off IFing since begining Sept. and I am down about 5 lbs. Since reading the other thread I decided that I will just stick to this...no more on and off!

Here is my plan. I will have a 5 hr. eating window (3:30-8:30) on work days only (M-F) I can easily get through my work day without eating. It is very hard for me to fast at home.

I am 52 yrs. old and plain old tired of counting anything (carbs, cals. points etc.) so I will not count cals. but just eat mindfully in my window. At this age I also know what food/drink (wine) I am not willing to give up even for weight loss. So hopefully the calorie deficit will help me lose weight even if it is slow.

Best to all!!

LoseToAll
11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Jaob. Good for you figuring out a game plan. Losing a little at a time is better than not losing at all. I have been IF for a month and have lost almost 10 lbs. I am amazed. I have a hard time fasting on weekends too, so I just fast during the week.

ShrinkingStudent. Does that mean you are eating about 1000 calories average a day?

My 5:2 fast day is tomorrow. I have a goal to meet on Thursday and I am going to fast Tuesday and Thursday to meet it. Eating over the weekend was okay did not over do it but weekends are really hard for me to stay out of the kitchen. It is a new week to make my goals work.

Have a great OP day.

ShrinkingStudent
11-11-2013, 09:09 PM
LoseToAll no, i'm kind of lucky as my height really brings up my basal metabolic rate at a nice 2370 calories. I usually eat between 1450 to 1650 a day, was kind of a shock from when i was eating the amount required for insanity.

jaob
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Shrinkingstudent-you have done such a great job. You've inspired me to just stick with this! What is the kg/lb. conversion? It is amazing that at your height you can eat comfortably around 1500 cals. Sorry, but I forget what form of IF you are doing?

Losetoall-10 lbs. in a month is awesome! I always wanted to do JUDDD(500 cals. every other day) but just could never get there. I'd always want to EAT when I got home from work. Great that the 5:2 is working for you!

What I really want to be able to do is Eat Stop Eat (2-24 hr. fasts/week) But for now I will stick w/ my 19 hr. daily fasts and see how that goes!

Have a great Tues. all!

ShrinkingStudent
11-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Jaob- A kg is about 2.2 pounds, so my weightloss from IF so far is 31 pounds and overal weightloss of 88 pounds in the last 11 months. I follow mostly the lean gains form of IF with a 6-8 hour eating window and you would be surprised how distanced i've become from food which allows me not really feel hungry at all and just eat how much i need. It is very wierd experience and mostly only breaks from the mistake of buying choclate or social events. I'm sure if you stick to it You're going to love yourself for it, don't feel bad if you have to open your window now and then and just keep going :)

Same goes to anyone reading just keep heading in a good direction guys/girls.

jaob
11-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, Shrinkingstudent! I need to keep telling myself to stick with it. It is fairly easy with the way I've planned it out. I'm only going to weigh once a week. I get too discouraged if I see a gain and I tend to throw in the towel when that happens.
Yesterday went well. I usually have 1/2 and 1/2 in my morning coffee then only water during the day. Sometimes I sip on broth (10 cals./cup) if my tummy has that sour empty feeling. That helps alot. I found when I got home and started to eat that all of a sudden eating became less important. Knowing that I can eat what I want when I get home from work makes me feel less deprived (than daily cal. restriction) and then seems to make eating less important...if that all makes sense! So I see what you mean when you say you usually only end up eating what you "need".

Best to all!

Katiepony01
11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi!

I posted this at the very tail end of the long thread, so I thought I'd repost. I'm so glad to see a few folks a active here! And great work y'all!

I'm thrilled to be joining you folks. I'm one week in to a 5:2. I love fasting (always have!), and feeling great. I had a baby 7 months ago and can't shake the 25 extra pounds.

I plan to eat well most non-fast days, with occasional splurges. I have a terrible time finding time to exercise though. Do you think I will lose weight? Many folks imply that IF is only good for maintenance. I'll try to do some body weight strength work at least 2-3 times a week.

What do you folks think of doing 19/5 on top of the 5:2? I have to get the scale to move and it just won't, despite some real improvements in portion control! I know my set point is now 173 and my body will do anything to stay there.

Thanks in advance for your support.

LoseToAll
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Katie I am in the same situation as you. I have been doing 5:2 for a month and I have lost 10 pounds. Amazing but this weekend had a gain and I have decided I am going to do the 18/6 window too. I still count calories because I still want to feel in control. But I am new at this so I am just figuring it out.

Hope you have a great OP day.

shabbyvintagelady
11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Hello,
I would love to join. I am presently fasting 23 hours and eating one meal a day for 1 hour and also counting calories so I can be in control. Not sure if this is IF, but am doing great.
As I am 5'1" and old :), I really have to watch calories, too.
Have a great day.

jaob
11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Katie and losetoall-I look forward to seeing how you do with 5:2 and an eating window. So will you have an eating window every day and then 2 days a week keep that eating window w/ 500 cals only?

shabbyvintagelady-wow:carrot:that you can fast 23 hrs. everyday! I really want to do 2- 24 hr. fasts per week and just can not seem to make it! I am a shortie and old too (5' 2" and 52 yrs. and feel older than I should)

Yesterday was another good day. I think it helps just to be posting here. I am enjoying wine in the evening, eating healthy foods that I like. Yesterday was celery stuffed w/ egg salad, 2 chicken wings, sunflower seeds (I can eat an amazing amount of these!) glass of chardonnay, later a glass of red wine.

Have a great Thursday;)

Katiepony01
11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Hey, all!

@jaob: So for my 5:2 I have been eating normally but healthfully for 5 days, and then fasting with only 500 calories a day, whenever I want them. I have to say that I *tend* to eat less on my open days. Yesterday was a horrible day, but I am just going to write it off and forge onward. Thankfully today is a fast day. Generally on days when I fast I find I do better when I simply do not start eating, i.e., if I eat a little something for breakfast I find I am hungry all day. If I simply don't eat and just drink my two big cups of coffee, I can easily make it to dinner.

Work is kind of a bust right now (our boss told us 4 of the 40 of us will get laid of, but no notices yet). This is both stressful and motivating.

Keep going everyone!

patns
11-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Is there a section for the 5:2 Fast Diet anywhere. Glad to see so many people doing well wit IF.

Pat

MaryL
11-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Ok my name is Mary and have been here before..... I am 5'3" and 59 yrs. I am not good at sticking to any sort of diet. :shrug:(Actually I really sux at it) BUT.. back to try again, now I no more about it. Didn't know I could eat 25% of my WW points on a fasting day lol. Just goes to show how much I read, :dizzy: Have to go find how many points I am allowed and work from there. All I remember is I am allowed 500 cals and it's 50 cals to 1 point, can't remember my daily allowance. Should keep me busy for a while.
Nice to see everyone doing so well.
Shrinking student If I could reach through the net I would give you a trophy u are doing so well.:cp:

TripSwitch
11-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Hi Twipswitch... here... Sorry I haven't been here very often.... Keeping up on all the posts here... I'm still just doing my 12pm to 8pm eating window.... And it's still working!!! So I say IT WORKS..... If YOU WORK IT!!!

jaob
11-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey all! Yesterday went well again! I was able to fast and then during my 5 hr. eating window was able to enjoy what everyone else was eating at a friend's gathering of ladies!! AND I am down 2 lbs. for the week:carrot:

I've decided that Fri. morning will be my official weigh in day so I changed my ticker and will not weigh in again until next week

I have so much trouble with my computer freezing up when I am on this site:?:. Anybody else have that problem? I don't seem to have that issue when I am on other sites

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well...glad to see some veteran's back!

shabbyvintagelady
11-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Good morning.
I have been away for a few days and have started back on plan - eating one big meal and fasting 23 hours.
Really feel great doing this plan.

ShrinkingStudent
11-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Aw Thanks MaryL.
This week has been quite a challenge to lose as my brother took me out on the town to celebrate my weight lose and a friend convinced me to go out last night. Not quite sure how I'm doing it but i still have managed to lose 1.2kg (2.6lb) this week and I'm getting really close to my happy body (I have hip bones!).

Hope everyone has a great week!

jaob
11-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Aw Thanks MaryL.
This week has been quite a challenge to lose as my brother took me out on the town to celebrate my weight lose and a friend convinced me to go out last night. Not quite sure how I'm doing it but i still have managed to lose 1.2kg (2.6lb) this week and I'm getting really close to my happy body (I have hip bones!).

Hope everyone has a great week!

You are doing so wonderfully! Losing 2.6 lbs. even while celebrating with your brother and friend!

I'm back to my 19 hr. fasts this week (I don't fast on weekends). I can't wait to weigh in on Friday. I'm feeling good that I finally have a plan that will help me lose weight without constant thought to food or deprivation.
Last night I opened my eating window at 3:30 and had some egg salad on magic pop cracker (amazing large 15 cal. cracker!). Then a glass of wine while fixing dinner. Nibbled on Chex party mix. Dinner was a large hamburger patty (no bun) topped with motzarella cheese, small salad, kind of alot of potato chips:o and another glass of wine.

Hope everyone is doing well, please post if you get a chance!!

LoseToAll
11-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Fast day yesterday. Went okay but went over 100 calories. But I am just going to let it go. Down 2 lbs. 230.5 this morning. I want to be at 230 on Friday weigh in. I have a goal for 225 by the 19th of Dec. I have a plan now just to stick to it.

Katie. I am doing the 5:2 as well. I tried to not eat until noon yesterday. It was really hard but that was a goal I met. It helps make two small meals for the day.

Jaob. Those crackers sound good. I will have to look for them in the store.

Shrinkingstudent congrats on staying the course even with the distractions. How much is it so far this month?

Hope you all have a great day.

Daimere
11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Today I plan to get back into IF eating. I was doing a mix of 5:2 and eating windows. I was in the middle of a divorce and left it as I was emotionally eating. It is mentally very hard for me to get back into it (I've been trying for days) but I know I LOVE the feeling of food not having power over me anymore.

jaob
11-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey folks! Another great Fast 5 day yesterday! I broke my fast with about an ounce of chicken breast. I found that I need to eat just a tiny bit of something when I break the fast rather than chowing down on something. It helps me to regulate my eating during the rest of my window. I ate some mixed nuts, then had a nice big chic salad with sunflower seeds and full fat dressing. AND of course a couple glasses of wine!

Losetoall-the crackers are amazing!They are about 6" in diameter, sturdy but lite and crunchy. They are puffed rice and wheat. I have used them to dip, or top with cheese and meat. I have also made a quick microwave pizza with them (but you gotta eat it quick cuz they will get a bit soggy) Unfortunately they are sold locally and I can only get them in one store sold at a kiosk. I'll google them and see if you can buy them online...BTW-I think you are smart to make 5 lbs. goals!

Daimere-great job getting back to it even though it's been hard. I've been in and out of IF since Sept. but still manage to be 7 lbs. down. Sorry to hear about the divorce:hug:. I don't know why it is so hard for some of us (me included) to separate circumstances and eating:?: Eating poorly never changes the circumstance that leads us to eat poorly:?:

Have a super Wed. everyone!

jaob
11-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Losetoall-just google Kim's Magic Pop. You won't be disappointed. They are not like traditional rice cakes. It looks as if you have to order quite alot of bags though. They have always kept fresh for a long time on the shelf for me!

Daimere
11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
I woke up early today cause I was having IF related heartburn. And then since I am up so early, I am dying where my body isn't used to it yet. Usually I fast from 5a-8p. Or 5a-10p depending on work.

jaob
11-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Just checking in...another great Fast 5 day yesterday. Someone brought in donuts and coffee cake yesterday and I didn't have any!! Can't wait for weigh in tomorrow. I'm hoping to be down at least 1 lb. That will put me at a weight I haven't seen for a LONG time. If I can lose 1 lb. a week I will be at goal by the end of summer 2014, but I should be looking pretty good before summer starts:carrot: (I need to keep reminding myself of this so I don't get frustrated with slow weight loss)

marthamay
11-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi there, I'm a real newbie to IF - this was my first week! I'm going to experiment a little to find which is the best fit. This week I tried the 5:2 idea. Fasting Mon and Thur with just 500 cal through the day. On Monday I tried eating three small meals but that was really hard, I was just starving all day. Yesterday I saved all my cal for an evening meal (apart from drinking tea) and that was absolutely fine, I even went to the gym after dinner. Taking this into account, maybe the EAT STOP EAT would work well for me.

Prior to this week I have just been working on cleaning up my diet. No sugar, no processed food, plenty of exercise. I just need something to kick start weight loss and to keep me losing and motivated. Fasting seems to be easy to fit in and quite intuitive. I'll be interested to see how it goes in the next few weeks.

I hope you don't mind me hovering on this thread to see how other people are doing with IF.:)

ShrinkingStudent
11-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Been out of town for the last few days, so sorry i haven't checked in.
Headed to a major city to get my hair cut from my ponytail to a short style and managed to follow my IF while being about. It kind of sucks as we don't have scales so i don't get to weigh in until tomorrow morning.

LoseToAll I'm down 7.9lb so far this month, but that was when i weighed in on monday so who knows what it will be tomorrow.

LoseToAll
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
MarthaMay. You are doing what I did last month. My experiment with 5:2 was a success. I found that if I tried to eat 500 in 3 meals I was starving all day too. So now I do it in 2 meals an that helps. If I am busy all day and skip breakfast and lunch I am really satisfied with a 500 calorie meal. I lost 10 lbs in a month and that has never happened to me. My next month goal is 5 lbs on 5:2 or 4:3 (with 800 calories 3 days a week. I also do an eating window of 12:00 to 6:00 pm and that helps a lot. We are glad you are here. Welcome.

Shrinkingstudent. Glad you are back. And almost 8 lbs is awesome!! I always feel lighter after a hair cut. Helps my self esteem so much. Do you like the new hair cut??? Is it a big change for you?

Jaob. Congrats on passing up the snacks great for you!!!! One pound a week would be great for me. That is just a dream for me but maybe IF can do it??? I have never had success like this before and it seems to good to be true for me.

Daimere. I have never had heartburn with IF. In fact I feel healthier when not full. Why do you think you have heartburn??? Can you take Tums?

Well tomorrow is weigh in day and I want to beat 230 or lower. I am 230.5 today and it has been a fasting day. It has gone well. Had yummy southwest chicken salad for lunch and it was delish.

Hope you all have a great night. Cheers.

jaob
11-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, no loss for the week:(Blah. This is where I usually throw the towel in and try something else. But I know where that will lead me...nowhere! I'm going to stick to my plan because if nothing else I won't be gaining over the holidays and then I can reassess in the New Year.

Shrinkingstudent-got a pic of your new haircut? 7.9 lbs. is awesome!!

Losetoall-I look forward to seeing how 800 cal x 3 days works.

Marthamay-Welcome;) Eat Stop Eat is how I really would like lose weight I just haven't been able to quite get there so Fast 5 is where I am right now. I can't wait to see how this works for you!

Have a great Friday everyone (I guess it's almost Saturday for you Shrinkingstudent!)

Javagal84
11-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi,
I'm considering IF after kind of falling into a routine on my own this week of eating normal breakfast, then nothing until I come home from work at about 2:30 or 3, have a pretty generous bowl of soup, then no dinner later. I'm not hungry at 5 pm, so no reason to eat, then it's too late, so go to sleep.

Anyone here finding negative results (women)??? I read one website that hinted about some negative results for women, but no details?

I've got about 35 lbs. to remove, and I'm looking for something simple to do that works. I'm so done with counting calories or totally eliminating whole food groups from my diet. Can anyone else here relate?

Thanks.
Javagal84

jaob
11-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi,
I'm considering IF after kind of falling into a routine on my own this week of eating normal breakfast, then nothing until I come home from work at about 2:30 or 3, have a pretty generous bowl of soup, then no dinner later. I'm not hungry at 5 pm, so no reason to eat, then it's too late, so go to sleep.

Anyone here finding negative results (women)??? I read one website that hinted about some negative results for women, but no details?

I've got about 35 lbs. to remove, and I'm looking for something simple to do that works. I'm so done with counting calories or totally eliminating whole food groups from my diet. Can anyone else here relate?

Thanks.
Javagal84

I can totally relate! I just don't want to want to obsess about food/drink anymore! I have about 35 lbs. to lose too. But I've been at this dieting thing for over 20 years and I STILL have this weight to lose. There are just some things I won't give up even to lose weight. So I will eat what I like but less of it and eating in a short window is the only way I can do that right now. I heard somewhere about the negative results for women, but I just disregarded it because it just didn't make sense to me.

ShrinkingStudent
11-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Actually up to 9.5 down now woo, and for anyone interested i posted a link for photos over in the 20's corner called "New haircut to go with goal?"

Hope everyone had a great week.

Javagal84
11-23-2013, 09:17 AM
So can I get some comments on daily routine from those of you who've been doing IF and seeing weight loss? I need some inspiration. Basically I find myself slipping into "eat everything all day long" if I have a day off and don't have to leave the house. :/

jaob
11-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Shrinkingstudent-Wow! You look great. You are going to WOW your family and friends when you see them!

javagal-I don't think I qualify as someone who has done IF for a while but I can tell you what I've been doing since Sept. (been on and off IF as I try other plans and then keep coming back to IF...I'm 7 lbs. down). I eat only during a window of 3:30-8:30 (sometimes I go beyond that but only to finish a glass of wine I might be sipping on) During my eating window I eat what I feel like having but I must say I usually don't go overboard w/ stuffing myself because I just don't feel the need. I confess to having 1/2 and 1/2 in my morning coffee (probably about 4-6 T.) and sip on chic. broth if needed during the day (only 15 cals./cup) but other than that I only drink water until 3:30. AND I only do this on work days (M-F). I am a teacher so w/ alot of non work days coming up for the holidays I can only pray to maintain this loss!! Sounds kinda confusing as I read back over it so I hope it helps!
Hopefully some of the veterans from the other long IF thread will chime in!

ShrinkingStudent
11-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Hey javagal, my routine is pretty simple but I'll write it up for you.
I usually wake up at around 9 have some sort of drink that won't break my fast like tea or no cal soft drink, when it gets to midday I'll have two sandwiches (about 650 calories worth), then some more lo/no cal drinks or water during the day and end the day of around 6:30 with a meal around 1000 calories. Sometimes i will cut down the size of dinner so i can have a snack during the day but as you can see i'm still watching what i eat a fair bit.

SparklyBunny
11-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I thought I'd jump in here as well :-) Socializing after just joining!

I do IF kind of naturally. I've never liked to eat breakfast (unless I'm traveling and stay at a hotel) and in general I just can stay without eating for long periods of time. Also, if I've been eating a lot of carbohydrates on one day, my body clearly wants to have a fasting day the next day. If I try to eat throughout the day (which I have, otherwise I wouldn't be on a weight loss forum), I get a distinct feeling when the blood sugar is too high. The way I have gained weight has been all about eating even when I'm not hungry out of some sort of obsession. Though I have to say that if I keep it up for a prolonged time or if I keep eating processed foods for a longer time, I start to get addicted to those things. In any case, a fasting state is very natural for me.

I do need some kind of structure though. I break the fast whenever, but usually too late when I'm already too hungry and so I tend to eat processed foods instead of cooking a proper meal.

I have a vague idea of what I would want to do, but the actual structure is still missing. I do want to do IF, but not sure yet if I'll just stick to particular eating windows, just wing it or will I also have an actual day of fasting each week. There would be some additional benefits from prolonging the fast a bit, but I'm not sure yet if it would be "too much". I also like carb-cycling, so higher amount of carbs after training, more fat and less carbs on rest days. I'm also very much drawn to Mediterranean type of foods, so lots of olive oil, olives, legumes, artisan bread, pasta, feta cheese, chicken, fish, herbs and lemons, etc. I've spent a lot of time on American forums and so it's always sweet potato this and that and I can not tell you how much I hate sweet potatoes :-) Last night I had chicken, hummus and olives and it was just heaven to my taste buds.

So I'm looking to find my perfect IF-carb-cycling-Mediterranean-diet :-) That said, I like other regional cuisines as well, and preparing meals and feeding people is an act of love in my world. That includes feeding myself, so even though I can eat cabbage for a month if I have to, I really don't want to. We'll see how things will pan out for me :-)

jaob
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Sparklybunny-Welcome!! You sound as if you enjoy some nice healthy foods. IF could be for you! I'm a foodie (and winie) and don't feel so deprived having a 5 hr. window each day. So every day I eat foods/wine I enjoy. I don't feel the need to go crazy with what I eat, but I definitely enjoy it!! Let us know how it goes for you!

I weighed in today since I have the next 5 days off for Thanksgiving and I only IF on work days. I am down 2 more lbs:carrot: I haven't been this low in a LONG time and it will be good incentive not to go crazy over this holiday weekend!! That was a total surprise since I stayed the same after a full week of IF last week and this week was only 2 days. I guess I was just catching up!

I have to ask again because this is so frustrating...does anyone else have issues with their computer freezing up on this website? It doesn't seem to happen on other websites (although I'm not very active on the internet). I just need to know if it's this website or my computer:?:

Best to all and happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!!

LoseToAll
11-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Jaob. I am afraid it is your computer. It never freezes on me. The site has been great.

I am doing a 4:3 fasting this week. Calories between 600-800. Thursday is Thanksgiving and I have a 5 hour fasting window planned with calories under 2000. I have a plan and I sticking to it.

kayin
11-27-2013, 04:22 PM
My results: This spring I lost 75 lbs in about 4 1/2 months doing IF and atkins at the same time. My appetite was low because of the low carb. I had 2 Tbs half and half cream in each of my 2 coffees each day, but otherwise kept eating to 4 to 8 pm. I had no appetite so had a hard time reaching 1200 calories per day (blush, probably why I lost so much). Also, I was walking twice a day.

Since then I have had some stressful situations and had gone back to binging at night. I gained back 1/3 of the weight, but still am 50 lbs down.

I'm calmer now and ready to start IFing again. I need to do this as I don't want to erase all the hard work I did this spring. I am not doing atkins yet, as I want to hang on to a few of my comfort foods. Hopefully I can still keep my appetite down without low carb but I'll figure it out eventually and post my results again as I (hopefully) lose.

I hope we all reach our goals! I'm going to do my best (started yesterday). TTYS!

Starting weight this time around: 203

marthamay
11-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, week 2 of doing 5:2...so my 4th fasting day ever. I'm just obsessing about food today!!! I can't focus on anything. Making the kids lunch was torture....
days like this make me wonder if this would ever be sustainable for me long term.

jaob
11-30-2013, 10:20 AM
kayin-your results from the springtime are very encouraging! I totally understand wanting to hang onto some comfort foods, which is why I am doing IF!! I love LC but it's kind of an all or nothing type plan which is pretty difficult for me!

marthamay-sorry you are having a tough fast:hug:hopefully you got through it OK. I am doing IF to get away from the obsession of food. Yes, the plan needs to be sustainable. Sometimes it's all just so hard to know what to do:?:

Nothing new to add since it is holiday time. I won't weigh in until Friday after a weeks' IFing and I think I will if I maintained last week's loss!!

SparklyBunny
12-02-2013, 04:23 AM
OK, so my first week is done and I did IF every day. This as such is not a big deal, as I tend to do it naturally anyway. However, I also just now ended a 36h fast. I didn't feel hungry, but the ketosis breath was out of this world and I started to feel a bit spaced out around Sunday afternoon. Not dizzy or weak, just...buzzing in my brain and a bit distracted. I also had a hard time falling asleep, but did sleep OK after I fell asleep. I ate at maintenance calories and rather carb heavy on Saturday, which really helped with the fasting. I must stress that it wasn't a binge or a cheat day. This has all been purposeful :-)

Will continue with this pattern of IF. Haven't included training yet, so we'll see if and how that changes things. I'm not sure yet if I'd train fasted or not. I really wouldn't train fasted after this 36h fast though. Not because I wouldn't have the strength, but because I'm still so distracted that I would probably hurt myself doing something stupid :-) I'm not sure though how much TOM is affecting things (period started yesterday, which can make me feel a bit weird). Will probably see more accurate results after the second and third week!

ShrinkingStudent
12-02-2013, 09:40 PM
My weightloss is finally slowing down, down to 106kg and had a 0.5kg (1.1lb) weightloss last week. I think the slow down is because i've opened my window to 8 hours and been slightly more lenient with my calorie intake, can't say im unhappy that the weightloss is slowing down because hopefully it will settle at a good place.

jaob
12-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Shrinkingstudent-that's great that you still lost even with adding more calories. Even if the losses have slowed down that means that your body is trying to stabilize and find it's healthy weight!!

Back to IFing for me after the 5 day holiday. Yesterday went really well. I thought it might be tough to get back into it after the fun of Thanksgiving, but it was quite easy and enjoyable. Weigh in on Friday and we'll see how I did!

SparklyBunny
12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
This was a really interesting series of articles about the different IF protocols, especially as the writer had tested them all and had some impressive results (as well as things going horribly wrong): http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting/summary

jaob
12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
sparklybunny-thanks for the interesting links. I read most of it and came away with IF is just a form of calorie restriction and the different methods are just simply for whatever fits your lifestyle best.
And that isxactly what I am doing!! I am not, however, counting cals. Just eating what I would normally eat during that timeframe of the day (not overeating to compensate for fasting timeframe).

Yesterday went well. There was a big breakfast served atwork (my eating window is 3:30-8:30) and I wasn't sure how I would manage to not eat in front of everyone. So I took a plate and said I was saving it for later, it was too early for me to eat (which was the truth!) I ate it later and it was super yummy. The only thing I regret was a pastry that I had no intention of eating, I was going to save it for DD but I ended up eating it. Oh well:p

How's everyone doing? Anyone still around from the old thread?

jaob
12-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Well, weigh in today...I held tight at 154 so no loss but no gain after the 5 day holiday of no IFing! I'm happy with that!:carrot:

kayin
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm ALMOST IFing right now (small amount of milk or cream in my coffee and tea, about 150 calories for the day of this).

I eat a meal between 4 and 6 and a small snack at 8 or 9 so I guess I have about a 5 hour window at night.

Since Dec. 1 (5 days) I have lost 7.4 pounds (some of it water weight from starting a new plan I'm sure)

jaob
12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Kayin-Wow! 7.4 lbs. is great!! :carrot: That sounds very similar to what I am doing. My window is 3:30-8:30 (or so!) I also have about 100 cals. worth of 1/2 & 1/2 in my morning coffee. I only do this on work days also. It works slowly but it works for me!!

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

LoseToAll
12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
SparklyBunny. Interesting site. It changed the way I see IF. It is just a lifestyle that could help with weight loss. Thanks for the link.

Jaob I am in the same boat as you. With Thanksgiving I am glad for no gain.

Fasted Monday okay but Thursday fast I went over calories. So I only lost 1 lb this week. Just want to hold on during the holiday season.

Hope you have a great day.

Daimere
12-07-2013, 11:00 PM
I found an old fitbit the other day and I finally was motivated to stick to my IF more than I had been the last few weeks. It's amazing how one small little device can give me such motivation!

jaob
12-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Losetoall-yea, if I can get through the holidays without a gain that will be truly amazing!! I have nearly 2 1/2 weeks off for the Christmas holiday and I don't plan to IF during that time. We'll see how that works for me! I noticed that I'm not really going overboard at all with eating on nonIF days, though.

Daimere-whatever it takes to motivate is great. Glad to see you here with us!! What type of IF do you do?

delmarva
12-08-2013, 11:29 AM
My husband uses IF quite successfully. He was never heavy, but had just a little extra around the middle. Using IF alone (with regular exercise, we both work out regularly), he went from 212 to 195. He is 6' 4" He is really slim and trim now at age 55. I tried it, but found that it wasn't hunger so much that bothered me, as it was an increase in stomach acid. I can amend the diet and do a 600 calorie day, but I need a little food in the gut just to keep digestion problems at bay. (I have a mild hiatal hernia, which is probably the source of the problem). As a result of this experiment, I stick with an Adkins-type diet all week long, with a once-a-week treat of a couple of good chocolates during the week. And, one of the week days will be very low cal but not a full fast.

Daimere
12-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Daimere-whatever it takes to motivate is great. Glad to see you here with us!! What type of IF do you do?

I have been doing a combination of 12-16 hour fasts and 5:2. So usually I will have a 9 hour eating window give or take. Sometimes I go longer because I am busy working and don't eat till later. It helps me not stress about food so much and I get more sleep sorta! I haven't incorporated the 5:2 yet this time around. At this moment, I am just tracking what I eat during my eating windows (I still track because I have a history of binging and emotional eating) and sticking to 8p-5a. As long as I am motivated, the IF is so easy. I used to stress on my 12 hour days about having enough healthy food, etc. Now I don't. Although I make sure I have something good to eat to break the fast. And this time around, easing my body into IF was easier. It took two weeks for my body to stop overproducing stomach acid

jaob
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Daimere-have you lost all of your 62 lbs. doing IF? I might try to incorporate 5:2 with my eating window after the holidays to get things moving a little faster. We'll see;)

Daimere
12-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Daimere-have you lost all of your 62 lbs. doing IF? I might try to incorporate 5:2 with my eating window after the holidays to get things moving a little faster. We'll see;)

No. I switched to IF when I was broke. But the thing is I think I should have been incorporating IF this entire time. I work 12s. And when I was on ww or any other version of healthy eating, I couldn't stay on track on 12s. I would always have SUCH a wide eating window that I would feel upset because it was SO hard to stay on track. I think I had lost 15-20 pounds on IF. I mean lose weight and be broke? Yeah boy!

ShrinkingStudent
12-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Hey everyone, i moved out of my student accommodation and have just moved into a share with two friends. This first week of having free reign over what i do and being in a new town definitely isn't being nice to my weightloss, it's being fluctuating and seems to be favoring going up.

Going to have to start getting myself motivated to do stuff so i keep on track, there's a pool a few minutes walk away and nice scenery around the place so i may have to start walking everyday and go for some swims just to help finish of my weightloss. I am happy that even though i'm being lax on my calorie count i am keeping to my eating window. Here's to getting back on track, hope everyone is having a good week.

FickleHearts
12-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Question about 5:2

On your feast days, do you count calories? I personally feel like things will spiral out of control if I don't but I'm not sure where to keep my calories at on those days. BMR is 1736 and TDEE is 2083, and that just seems way to high. Is it a bad thing to keep them between 1200-1600? Or do I need to at least eat close to the TDEE number?

Second fast day today, so far better than Tuesday and I have a solid plan to stick too. Does this get easier too? I read the book, or well, skimmed most of it on my kindle, but still a bit confused. :)

Thanks for any help you guys have. I was doing 18:6 IF as that is just a natural way for me to eat, but I wanted to shake things up. My friend wanted to do 5:2 so I thought I'd give it a try.

LoseToAll
12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
FickleHearts. I count on feast days. 1200-1500 is all I allow. The idea is to count up for the week and have calorie average for the week. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track. I have only been doing it for 8 weeks so I am new at this too. It is working and it does get easier. I sometimes do a 3:4 of 700-800 calories. And it works the same. I try to do an eating window too. 12:00 to 5:30. But I have a banana in the morning. I know it is not true IF but I get faint if I do not have something in the morning.

Hope this helps.

LoseToAll
12-12-2013, 03:01 PM
ShrinkingStudent. Congrats on the move. Getting back on track is harder than just staying on track. Hope you back to losing soon.

alligatorpie
12-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Subscribed. I'm new to IF, trying alternate days now and it seems do-able while avoiding the daily endless deprivation of most "diets". Look forward to all your ideas to making this work as a lifestyle. My body just doesn't need that many calories, it seems :)

jaob
12-13-2013, 09:17 AM
ShrinkingStudent. Congrats on the move. Getting back on track is harder than just staying on track. Hope you back to losing soon.

That is the truth!! This week I tried having a bit of lean meat throughout the day and eating LC in the evening and now I am up a lb.:( So back to my IF window!!

Subscribed. I'm new to IF, trying alternate days now and it seems do-able while avoiding the daily endless deprivation of most "diets". Look forward to all your ideas to making this work as a lifestyle. My body just doesn't need that many calories, it seems :)

Let us know how this goes for you. Are you having a certain number of cals on alternate days? I know what you mean...my body doesn't need as many cals as I want it to need;)

Back to IF window of 3:30-8:30. Reminding myself to stop trying to fix what isn't broken!!

marigolds
12-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Yikes! I just checked my old posts and I haven't been on 3 fat chicks since 2008! I am starting alternate day intermittent fasting today and confident this will work. I also avoid gluten and dairy, but that's another story.

For anyone interested I have a book on order by the premier researcher Dr. Krista Varady, titled The Every Other Day Diet. If you go into amazon, you can actually search the book. It sounds perfect for me. I am also ordering another one called The Alternate Day Diet, Revised by Dr. Johnson. I flirted with 5:2 and it kind of worked, but I'm reading fasting every other day really regulates your appetite, and I need that. I was starving on my 5:2 fasting days.

Right now I'm reading a little book I got off amazon for less than $7 which is awesome titled "Easy Alternate Day Fasting" By Beth Christian. This little book sums up everything you need to get started on alternate day fasting and I now consider it my little diet Bible.

Sorry to babble on and on about the books, but this time around I'm serious about fasting and getting healthier, and I'm glad there's an intermittent fasting forum here!

ShrinkingStudent
12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
So it turns out that spending all of Friday helping my brother move house while fasted and a good few hours of Saturday walking around a big city shopping center fasted helped stabilize that weight back down, down 0.5kg since since a week ago.

Just started back up some exercise today and the old raceway by me has some nice hills and scenery so it should make for a good hour of exercise a day, although the 50 degree incline quarter mile hill to get back home is a "great" way to end haha. Also the area has a bunch of mountain paths that would be atleast a 30 degree incline so i may venture up them every now and then.

Also thought i would leave my NSV from my shopping here, managed to buy myself a few pairs of shorts in size 36" waist and Large shirts. Not sure what size waist i started at as all my old clothes are at home but i can remember having size 46" and possible 48" at some time, shirts i know that i started as a 3XL so this is like mind blowing when i think about it.

LoseToAll
12-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Down another pound today. Yippee. This 5:2 is working. I am also doing a fasting window from 12:00-5:30, except for a banana in the morning. I have to have that or I get faint.

Did a 4:3 last week. Mon, Tue, and Thur. 600-700 calories and I am down 3.5 lbs. I was in the zone. I hope this week goes as well.

ShrinkingStudent awesome on the exercise. Nice you have a new place to run and the 36's is an inspiration. I am happy for you.

Marigold I am glad you found your IF solution. Do you totally not eat on your fast days?

Jaob. Good for you getting back on the IF wagon. Hope you have a lose soon.

Alligatorpie. Welcome. IF is worth it. I have been doing it for 8 weeks and it is amazing.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Daimere
12-15-2013, 02:55 AM
1200-1500 is all I allow. The idea is to count up for the week and have calorie average for the week. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track. I have only been doing it for 8 weeks so I am new at this too. It is working and it does get easier. I sometimes do a 3:4 of 700-800 calories. And it works the same.

This sounds like me when I am doing 5:2! I have a very active job and up from 500 to 800 with eating windows. I also tried to aim for about 1800-2000, rare over 2000. But it meant I could have waffle house occasionally and not worry. Although when I am in the groove I would have some days of just 1400 by accident. I can already tell my eating windows are having effect cause I couldn't finish everything at dinner that I logged. This was happening the last time that I was fasting and staying true to my eating windows.

I am probably going to start into 5:2 this week. I have been doing just eating windows lately. Even staying under my calories has helped me stay the same/lose, so far so good.

alligatorpie
12-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Let us know how this goes for you. Are you having a certain number of cals on alternate days? I know what you mean...my body doesn't need as many cals as I want it to need;)

Will do! Seems like a lot of people are finding this works so I am hopeful it will for me too. I read somewhere about a person who limits it to 200 calories on fasting day so that's kind of what I've been following - it allows for a bit of milk in my coffee and a cup of homemade broth if I'm feeling hungry. But I'm open to ideas so thats why its so great to read about what other people are doing...I see you are trying out different things too :)

SparklyBunny
12-17-2013, 03:49 AM
I was browsing the selection of this one supplement store yesterday (myprotein.com). Their MCT powder, by the way, is excellent for those who are fasting. The medium-chain triglycerides are quickly converted into energy, but since it's just fat, it's not going to kick you out of the fasted state. At least that is my understanding. I mix the powder to my coffee (or rather, I stir the coffee into the powder in my cup so that it dissolves better) and it ends up tasting just like a coffee with a creamer.

Anyhoo, I was browsing the selection and came across vitamin b5 (pantothenic acid). Apparently it's great for people with acne. Well, I don't have acne, so I was doing some googling whether it would be good for other skin types, like aging skin. By accident, I found out about this theory that ketosis would actually be the result of lacking in vitamin b5 and that supplementing with it would make caloric restriction and fasting easier. Now, fasting is already rather easy for me, but I'm still really intrigued. I've tried googling for more info, but there really isn't any. It's kind of surprising as fasting is so popular these days. So I thought I'd give it a try and see if it makes any difference! :-)

I'm not sure if I'll be ordering it soon or in a month or so, so it'll be a while before I get to test it, but in case anyone comes across any info on it, I'd love to hear about it!

P.S. So nice to see all you doing so well!

EDIT: I looked more into that vitamin b5 claim and the theory doesn't seem to be that credible. That's probably why I couldn't find that much about it :-)

Daimere
12-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Started my 5:2 this week. First :2 wasn't SUPER successful. I seem to have rounded out at 1100 (enough for mfp to yell at me). That's still 1000 less than normal and I've been sticking to under or at my goal on mfp which has resulted in losses. So not bad? I really wanted that chex mix that has been in my bag for days and I didn't know the calories/portion (I guessed 2 cups chex mix).

alligatorpie
12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Doing OK fasting alternate days but now I'm finding I need a better plan for my non-fast days. I wake up HUNGRY! I really don't want to live on salads and vegetables on non-fast days, but realize I can't go overboard either - which is easy to do if not paying attention. Eventually I'll figure it out :dizzy:

ShrinkingStudent
12-19-2013, 10:19 PM
And I've found the reason why my weightloss has slowed down, my BMR is now lower than the average adult intake that is advertised around Australia. My new BMR is about 1911 kcal, so no more losing much weight by food calorie deficit :(.

I'm still going to stick to 6-8 hour eating window when i can over the hollidays and keep getting my 3 days exercise in a week, i went for a walk yesterday and figured i might as well jog sometime and run too which was great as I was actually able to run a fair distance in the extreme heat that was going on. My legs are definitely having a hard time getting used to me running but they will get better, the quarter mile hill on a 30 degree incline is a killer to go up going home though as my legs where dead.

Daimere
12-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Ever get to the point where you eat late into your eating window, make a fantastic meal and still not hungry by the last hour of your eating window? But this week I am officially 227.8. Yay!

ShrinkingStudent
12-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I kind of have that problem that's why i am 6-8 hour window so if i don't feel hungry in time for the 6 hour mark i'll wait to the 8 hours. Although i was pushing it yesterday when i was late to get lunch then made great burgers for dinner and felt way to full.

Daimere
12-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Sometimes I will open my window or blur the lines (it's 5:05, imma pretend it's 5 and eat that). But I have to take a medicine on an empty stomach which is why it's important to close the window for sure most days before 5.

I'm maintaining the same weight due to hormones. I'm doing my other :2 today. I'm taking it up to 1010 calories. I'm craving a salad like crazy and that's what I want for my special fast meal. Plus I don't have time to cook for it. I'll still have a deficit by the end of the week I believe. I found a salad dressing that I like that is new and I really want to use it. :)

ShrinkingStudent
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Started using my Fitness Pal to log all my foods and grabbed the runtastic app and used that for my run today, because of all the hills and such i got 424 calories in 30 minutes. Been logging in under my daily 1600 calories for the last few days and should be about 600 calories in deficit today.

Sassyblonde
12-26-2013, 03:03 AM
I want to try this starting tomorrow if I can make it through skipping breakfast. I hope this can help knock my body off the plateau it's on. It seems after every 1-2 pound loss, I get stuck and have to change my food or my workout or find something to get it off. The holidays haven't exactly helped but. I have managed to lose a pound this week.

Any advice for beginners? Thanks!

alligatorpie
12-26-2013, 12:32 PM
While its a wonderful time of year for other reasons, I'm so relieved that holidays are almost over, there is so much pressure to eat! Sassyblonde, I'm pretty new at this too so I'm not much help- and it seems people have quite different intermittent fasting regimes. I'm trying to stick to alternate days fasting, with the "fast" day at 200-500 calories eaten sometime in the late afternoon or early evening. So thats 3 or 4 fast days a week - but I don't sweat it if I eat normal 2 or even 3 days in a row - just fast the next day. I dont get the sense of falling off the bandwagon or failure - that's what's nice. Takes a lot of pressure off. Fast days are not easy, and sometimes its hard to concentrate at work - but I hear they get easier with time. Its comforting to know that one can eat the next day. I drink herbal teas or clear broth to get through the tough hours when my stomach is grumbling :) .

Stjarna
12-26-2013, 10:09 PM
I am very new to this! In the past week (which is how long I've been trying to lose weight) I had one fast day, on Tuesday. It was entirely comfortable -- I just didn't get around to eating, and then had a bowl of sliced peaches before I went to bed. I think I can manage that. Do folks think a once- or twice-a-week fast day is reasonable, or is more than that suggested?

Thanks for any advice!

ShrinkingStudent
12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Hey Sassy, if your doing an eating window make sure you adjust your calories for the other meals so you still eat your daily amount. It may take a little while to get used to eating later but eventually you get so used to it you don't even feel hungry, today by accident i opened my window 3 hours late after a 30 minute jog/run and didn't even phase me.

On an update for me, keeping up on my jogging 3km every second day and they come in at ~400 calories and I love jogging. Thinking on dropping my eating window back down to 6 hours though as by the time i get back from my run I'm usually not hungry. Managed to keep my weight steady even through the Christmas binge of 3 lunches and a dinner had to occur due to split family.
Not sure how long after taking up running/jogging people may see weightloss but I'm waiting for it as I would like to lose these last few kilos.

kmaed
12-28-2013, 12:12 AM
I've been thinking about this diet, glad to find this thread!

Does anyone have a link to any specific info, this is the diet I wanted to learn about.

still looking for motivation!:dz:

Daimere
12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Question: Why does the 5:2 book say not to fast two days in a row? I mean I still ate way over 2 days a week. So I figure a few low days in a row won't hurt. Overall I will still have a small deficit, I think. I have plenty of fat to feed off of! Either way, I did a 600 (ughlck), 1600 (low for me on a feast day lately), and probably another fast day tonight. Depends on the scale. I just want to get this Christmas weight off and still lose weight. I ate about 1000 cals over in two days and the scale totally showed it!

ShrinkingStudent
12-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Hey kmaed, i didn't really dig around into all the different ways of fasting so all i can tell you is to google leangains or search the forums here. Others should be able to point you in direction of alternate day fasting and others.

Daimere I'm just guessing it may be as not to give your body long enough to start using sources other than fat for energy.

My scales moved! Down 1.5lbs over the last day making for two pounds in the 10 days i've been doing a fasted run (those days included christmas). Can't wait to see the changes my family see as an uncle on christmas thought i was 80kg (~175lbs) so i must be doing something right. Happy New Years everyone hope everyone has a great one and keeps going.

Daimere
12-31-2013, 02:32 AM
I've been skipping breakfast but not strictly 5:2 fasting this week. I've gotten so used to it that I didn't want to get up and eat breakfast today. So now my cals are really skewed the rest of the day. More oops things to eat then if I need!~

Sassyblonde
01-04-2014, 12:50 AM
I have been doing intermittent fasting since Dec 26th and it just feels like such a natural eating pattern for me. I eat daily between 12 and 8. Setting a time to eat has helped with late night snacking and I feel very relieved to not have to have breakfast..that takes one more thing off my plate on busy mornings! My only issue was this morning I woke up about 4 am couldn't sleep and was sooooo hungry...I did eat 2 eggs which got me to noon. I find that if I don't get enough calories before the deadline then I can't make it. The first couple of days I was ravenous at noon...now my body is used to it and now it will be 4 or 5 and I've only had 500 calories or so. But I like a big dinner so that works. I will weigh myself in a couple days and find out the results.

ShrinkingStudent
01-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Good to hear another good start on IF Sassyblonde, those days when i have to get up earlier than i usually do can make me feel a little peckish waiting for noon to break fast.

As for me I'm still going at a steady rate of about 2 lb a week. Trying to figure out how much i have left to lose is getting so hard, so im kind of moving into fitness so i can start toning my body properly. Brought myself a good skipping rope online so i can start working that in alternate days, but yer everything is looking good for me. Recently uploaded a photo of me at Christmas to facebook and two of my friends from 2011 said i was looking great, I'm looking forward to this year :)

Pattience
01-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Hi, i'm sorry i haven't the patience to read through long thread but i can follow it from now on.

Can you tell me, is there a fasting tips thread?

And what do the ratios mean. I mean the 18:? something you put in your first post shrinking student. I know what 5:2 means but i'm sorry i can't remember now what number you wrote and i haven't a clue what it means except 18 days not fasting and another number for days of fasting.

I am intending to fast one day per week. I think that's more than enough for me to cope with. I did my first fast a few days ago. Pure water only. Is that what you guys are doing, or do mean something else by fasting.

Between fast days i'm starting off slowly with calorie restrictions. Its more important for me to avoid binging on junk food and to eat properly than to lose weight quickly.

ShrinkingStudent
01-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Hey Pattience, welcome to the thread. When it's a large number like that it usually means hours fasted a day to the eating window. I'm on 16 hours a day i don't eat and 8 hours a day i eat my daily calories in (16:8).

I don't think there is really a fasting tip thread but feel free to discuss any questions here. The main two types of fasting are the eating window (usually 8 or less hours a day) where you eat your standard restricted calories in your period of hours and do this as many days a week as you want. Or there is the whole day fasting where on a fast day you eat 500 calories (i think people also do water fasting) but you would have to call out another member for there input on these as i'm not that read up on anything bar the eating windows.

TIP: It is okay to have something under 50 cals as this will keep you in a fasting state, only really applies to the eating window as you would usually use this so you could have a coffee in the morning to tide you over until your eating window starts.

Pattience
01-07-2014, 05:59 AM
I don't have any other particular questions. But i do like to know what other tips people use and it would be interesting in a concentrated thread. Is this the only thread on a fasting. that's a pity.

Interesting idea to eat within a window of opportunity. Sounds like a good idea actually.

Do the fasting people have a support forum. I would be interested in reading what people eat and how they are going.

Its good to see another aussie on this site too.

I am blogging on the vegetarian forum.

Pattience
01-07-2014, 06:02 AM
daimere look up dr ben kim site with fasting. He gives a fairly clear explanation of how our body uses up the the food and fat resources we have.

I don't buy into his detox theories though.

ShrinkingStudent
01-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Yer is kinda annoying not having a whole sub forum, but we don't exactly have the numbers to require it anyway. Mostly these threads are just used for any support and then i assume people branch into other parts they fit into. Just like IF'ers us Australians seem to be few and far apart around here, great to see others on the same timezone :)

Daimere
01-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Is that what you guys are doing, or do mean something else by fasting.

I figure this thread IS our support forum. When I first started IF, there were different people in this thread and a bit more active from what I can see. I do two forms of fasting. I always go for fasting windows. I eat from 8pm-5am. If I have to, I will change up the windows. Like today I was busy from 8 to 4:40 am. Therefore, I opened it up to 6 today. I also do the other form of fasting 5:2. That means I eat 500-800 calories two times a week. Although some weeks I am totally UMPH on 5:2, other weeks, like this week, I don't really feel like it. But I am still within calorie range during my eating windows. That works for me.

So what do I do for fasting? I make a batch of sweet green tea and drink throughout a 5:2 fast. I'd also treat myself with a 10 cal monster or 10 cal FUZE drink. It makes me excited for fasts. It's silly but I figure it's my treat for waiting till later to eat less. Honestly after the first few fasts/week, it's quite okay. I don't do full 24 hour fasts. I also figured out with my work schedule that I shouldn't fast on my 12 hour shifts. That's just a personal preference.

I chose eating windows because of my 12 hour shifts. WHen I was eating regular ways, I would spend SO much time eating that it would make me panic on how to eat low cal/low point enough to be "full" throughout the day. Whereas if I just wait till later, it doesn't bother me till I "open my stomach."

Pattience
01-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you've found something that works for you Daimere.

Certainly i agree that no one should do a full water fast on a work day. You just need more energy than you will have available. The other day i found that by about mid afternoon, i was feel a fatigued and brain dead. I couldn't face any tasks that required effort.

So my fast days will be taking it easy days but doing enough to keep boredom from threatening to make me break my fast.

Pattience
01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
I wasn't sure whether or not i'd do another fast so soon, i.e. one day a week. I decided against it as i don't want to lose too much weight too fast. I do want to do a regular one day fast so maybe i will try again when the weight loss slows down more, maybe it will be once a month and then when i'm maintaining, try for once a week or something like that.

In the meantime, i try not to eat between meals and effectively, I'm fasting from end of dinner to breakfast which is a long time. I tend to have dinner early, so that i'm finished by 7pm at latest. BEcause my calories are not too restricted i've noticed that while i'm feeling mildly peckish, i'm not so hungry as to make it difficult to resist. In fact i think its a good sign to be a tiny bit hungry because it shows that your calories level is about right and you must be losing weight.

christiina
01-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi all! I've tried IF in these past with varying success. I've been pretty much eating non-stop since Thanksgiving, and unfortunately I'm at my new all time high weight.

I plan on doing 5-hour eating windows during the work week (it's easy for me to not eat while I'm at work), but I am not sure what to do on the weekends. I find it so difficult to skip lunch when I'm at home, especially since the hubs will be here eating, so my current plan is to extend my weekend windows to 8-hours and see how that goes.

Anyway, I'm excited to get back to IF regardless of the approach!

Pattience
01-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Christina, hi.

Can you clarify what an eating window means. Is it five hours between meals or only five hours a day when you can eat?

If i was in your shoes and wanted to follow an IF, i would would follow what you know works during the week and on weekends, eat breakfast lunch and dinner at more normal hours but don't eat between meals and especially don't eat after dinner at night.

When you do these eating windows, are you eating whatever you want when you want or are you eating proper meals.

I find i don't get hungry if i eat proper meals and time my meals so that i am ready to eat about the time i'm due to get hungry. So it only means i get hungry at night but then not very much so because my calorie restriction isn't extreme. I hope this makes sense.

shr1nk1ngme
01-12-2014, 12:31 AM
I keep my window around six hours as much as possible. Sometimes as much as seven or eight if I just can't stand it in the afternoon. Usually I have a small bran cracker (12 calories) in the morning when I take my vitamins, otherwise I get a stomach ache.

I also don't count the 20 calories from the cram in my coffee in the morning.

My official plan is called JUDDD, which is a form of IF/calorie cycling (you can google it), but I also eat during set windows which is not required by JUDDD. In addition I am a vegetarian and low-carb. Wow, I guess I have a complicated diet. But it's working for me! I am using all the ammo I've got.

christiina
01-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Hi Pattience, by 5 hour windows I mean that I give myself a 5-hour eating window every day. I've never liked breakfast (and honestly, eating breakfast just seems to jumpstart my hunger so it's more trouble than its worth!), so skipping it is very easy for me. When I'm working during the week, I'm usually so busy that it makes skipping lunch easy enough. During the 5-hour eating window, my goal is to eat a normal dinner rather than making up for the missed meals. I'm a huge snacker so I'm going to have to work hard to not let my 5-hour eating window turn into a 5-hour eating spree...

Daimere
01-12-2014, 02:05 AM
I plan on doing 5-hour eating windows during the work week (it's easy for me to not eat while I'm at work), but I am not sure what to do on the weekends. I find it so difficult to skip lunch when I'm at home,

Yeah, if you are skipping breakfast and lunch, then during the weekends, just skip breakfast instead of both. Some days, I skip breakfast and dinner. And others I have breakfast and lunch. Still no "dinner." So sometimes I have longer fasts and other days shorter fasts. The longer I fast, the more I listen to my body and can hear it's signals more. But I also still write everything I eat down.

alligatorpie
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Daimere I checked out your blog a couple of weeks ago and was totally inspired to try out hooping. Went for my first class yesterday! I'm sure I looked as awkward as I felt, but its really fun - I can see how people get totally addicted to it!!! Thank you for the motivation and inspiration!

Daimere
01-16-2014, 03:58 AM
That is SO awesome alligatorpie! I am so so happy! You were fine! You were probably fabulous! Hooping is the reason why I keep restarting this weight loss venture. I want to be a better hooper

Here's an article hooping.org ran that I wrote: Hoop like nobody is watching!

http://www.hooping.org/2014/01/hoop-dance-like-nobody-is-watching-2/

Crimzon
01-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Hey IFers,
I heard yet another radio show on IF yesterday. I've been toying with the idea for months or more after seeing Dr. Mosley's documentary on the BBC. I've been reading through your thread as well. I think I may give it a shot. I think I may start with skipping dinner. I need to eat in the morning and afternoon - it's just easier for me to skip dinner. I think I'll end up doing 5:2. I'm at a set point right now that won't budge. I look forward to reading about everyone's progress.

alligatorpie
01-16-2014, 03:26 PM
That is SO awesome alligatorpie! I am so so happy! You were fine! You were probably fabulous! Hooping is the reason why I keep restarting this weight loss venture. I want to be a better hooper

Here's an article hooping.org ran that I wrote: Hoop like nobody is watching!

I have tears welling in my eyes now because I can relate to so many things, and you tell it so well, what a wonderful article! :hug: I'll for sure keep following your blog.

Its daunting how much practice is required, but then again, if its fun who cares! And yes, I'm looking for motivation to keep trying to lose weight, and to try feel right in my body after years of basically ignoring that it's attached to me, lol. I think hooping can do that. You are an insipiration, girl!!

CoolMom75
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
I had been doing 5:2 for probably close to 15 weeks. I lost count after 10....but now can't seem to stick to it. I was questioning the need to maintain for a while to reset my set point and I've done that now. I can tell my body is comfortable at this weight and it's time to get back on the horse.

Ugh...the hunger, the heartburn. Here I go again.

patns
01-16-2014, 11:51 PM
I keep my window around six hours as much as possible. Sometimes as much as seven or eight if I just can't stand it in the afternoon. Usually I have a small bran cracker (12 calories) in the morning when I take my vitamins, otherwise I get a stomach ache.

I also don't count the 20 calories from the cram in my coffee in the morning.

My official plan is called JUDDD, which is a form of IF/calorie cycling (you can google it), but I also eat during set windows which is not required by JUDDD. In addition I am a vegetarian and low-carb. Wow, I guess I have a complicated diet. But it's working for me! I am using all the ammo I've got.

I am trying the JUDD plan too. It's just my first week but I'm really liking it.

LoseToAll
01-17-2014, 01:03 PM
CoolMom75. What has become so hard about the 5:2? I have been doing it since October except a week off for Christmas. I have modified it to 4:3 at 800 calories. It is easier than 500. I was always starving and light headed. Would something like that help???

CoolMom75
01-17-2014, 10:56 PM
CoolMom75. What has become so hard about the 5:2? I have been doing it since October except a week off for Christmas. I have modified it to 4:3 at 800 calories. It is easier than 500. I was always starving and light headed. Would something like that help???

I guess it was the holiday parties and switching up my fast days and then I had trouble getting it going again. Luckily I think my healthy eating is becoming a real lifestyle change. I didn't eat at a deficit but did maintain.

Yesterday was my first fast day, starting after a 700 cal breakfast. No heartburn..yay!

Crimzon
01-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Why would the 5:2 cause heartburn? Do other people experience this? I already have problems with that.

CoolMom75
01-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Why would the 5:2 cause heartburn? Do other people experience this? I already have problems with that.

When I suddenly miss a meal at a time my body is expecting one, all the digestive acids are still produced but no food to burn it up. The acids get to hang out and irritate instead.

After a couple weeks of consistent fast days my body adjusted and I no longer got heartburn.

Daimere
01-19-2014, 06:58 PM
When I suddenly miss a meal at a time my body is expecting one, all the digestive acids are still produced but no food to burn it up. The acids get to hang out and irritate instead.

After a couple weeks of consistent fast days my body adjusted and I no longer got heartburn.
truth truth truth

LoseToAll
01-19-2014, 08:45 PM
I never had heartburn but just take some tums. It works.

Daimere
01-24-2014, 04:40 AM
I have tears welling in my eyes now because I can relate to so many things, and you tell it so well, what a wonderful article! I'll for sure keep following your blog.

Its daunting how much practice is required, but then again, if its fun who cares! And yes, I'm looking for motivation to keep trying to lose weight, and to try feel right in my body after years of basically ignoring that it's attached to me, lol. I think hooping can do that. You are an insipiration, girl!!

That does mean a lot to me. I haven't felt like much of anything hoop wise lately. Although there is a curvy hooper contest and I am soooo not feeling it. I have one video unlisted for it but I am not sure about that being the video. Half tempted to brave the cold to try and hoop outside. One girl said that she searched for my entry as soon as she heard about the contest! 30 minutes a day makes a huge difference in your practice!

yoyoma
01-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Hi folks,

I'd like to join this thread. I've been using an eating window for months now. I have decades of experience with losing weight a variety of ways, but none yet with permanent maintenance. I am primarily trying to get into a permanent Way of Eating.

It seems like the best eating window for me is 6PM - 8:30 PM. So, it's basically one meal a day. I keep my window open longer than necessary for a meal so that I don't feel the urge to over-stuff myself at dinner (because I know I can eat more a little later). But it turns out that I don't usually make use of the last hour and a half of my window.

In order to try to find something that will work for me in maintenance, I have not been counting calories. It would be great if I could get in the habit of doing that forever, but I know that I won't. Been there, not done that.

I do have some "eating guidance" that I use to make sure my food choices naturally stay within a reasonable calorie budget. I did retroactively tally one day's count and it was around 1500. So far, my weight is trending downward (albeit more slowly than on a stricter diet). But I can really imagine myself adopting this as a permanent change, unlike any of the diet approaches I have tried in the past.

The squishy part is the eating guidance, which substitutes for calorie counting and is very specific to me. It's a little challenging to hit the right note. I am trying to stay accountable and actually lose weight while adopting a permanent life style change.

Is anyone else here doing anything even remotely similar?

Sassyblonde
01-25-2014, 02:39 AM
Well I've been doing IF for almost 30 days and have lost 6lbs which is great. It has been very hard to stay in my window the last week or so. Work is just overwhelming and some pending blood test results have me a little stressed which always makes me hungry. I stayed in my calorie limit so I still lost some. After next week work will be back to normal and tests back so I can get back to IF full swing. I really like the whole IF lifestyle it fits so well and it's nice when I can make adjustments as needed.

yoyoma
01-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi, Sassy! Stress is so destructive to us! I was just a little stressed out yesterday and I ended up using my whole eating window. Stress makes it a lot tougher to stick with any program. I am seriously thinking about taking up yoga, which is the last thing people who know me would expect. But I feel it's because I am such an unchill person that I need some way to mellow out.

Hope things go well with your tests and you tame the work beast soon so you can focus more on your healthy habits!

CoolMom75
01-25-2014, 03:46 PM
A big difference with this round of weight loss has been my focus on ways to relax that are not food related. I used to love taking baths. The tub in our current home is ridiculously small but we bought a hot tub (cheap off Craigs list!) so I focus on using the hot tub after work or whenever I need to decompress. It has really helped!

Sassyblonde
01-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks yoyama. January is always bad for work, I am accountant and have a ton of tax work. So I can deal knowing that once feb 1 hits I have a little lull and can catch up and take a day to recover. My poor husbands birthday is the 31st too! The stress just turns on my appetite. I just need to get thru the week! I am working out daily so that helps a lot.

Chardonnay
01-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone :)

I would like to say hello and join this thread.

My bf and I are starting the 5:2 on Monday, it'll be our first fasting day. We both work from home, and find that we kind of influence each other badly when it comes to eating. I usually count calories, but if he has a snack, I give in and have one with him, and vice versa. Even though I go to the gym, I seem to be endlessly snacking these days and I'm sure that's why I regained the 3 pounds I lost a few weeks back, it's frustrating. I know the typical recommendation is always "don't skip breakfast!"...but if I eat breakfast, and lunch, then I can't stop eating the rest of the day! If we don't have breakfast, that desire to eat doesn't kick in until we're famished, so I think that the 2 days of 500 calorie fasting will be good for us and not too difficult.

We both talked about our former lives working in restaurants, where basically we ate once a day because it was free at work. We were both in much better shape and lower weights back then. We love our bar though, so we'll have to make sure to cut that out on the fasting days and cut it down on the other days. I have 15 pounds I want to lose and he has about 11.

I've been reading through this thread and also found Dr. Mosley's book online, I'll be reading that tomorrow. I'm glad to see there are many others here following this eating plan! I look forward to being involved in having support and supporting others! :)

yoyoma
01-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Welcome, Chardonnay! I hope 5:2 works well for you and your bf! I think the most important thing is to find something that works for you and having your bf be on the same wavelength should really help. Fasting (or any diet) is definitely harder when people around you are eating.

I've been on-plan and making some progress. I seem to be bouncing around just below 150 now and I was in the very high 150's when I started this round of weight loss. So far, this approach has been much easier on my willpower than calorie counting and as long as I am making any noticeable progress I will be happy.

Chardonnay
01-28-2014, 02:47 AM
Thanks yoyoma :) It's great that my bf is along for this.

So, we just got through day 1 of fasting. We stayed on track calorie-wise...but we need to adjust things for day 2 of fasting on Wednesday. I just didn't want to give up my coffee (with sugar/cream), so that was 105 calories already...Here was our menu for today, I want to find more filling foods though.

I had coffee with cream and sugar, bf had a banana
1 cup steamed broccoli and cauliflower
1 cup homemade Tonkinese Pho soup (so good...) with 3 saltine crackers (my bf had 1.5 cups to make his 600 calories)
1 strawberry/banana smoothie
And LOTS of water.

We both are hungry right now, nearly bedtime, we're just so used to making a bunch of popcorn in the evening and watching movies, but there are no calories left...we'll probably have an herbal tea then hit the hay.

I think we'll both be fine with this new way of eating. Just 2 days a week is very feasible. I'm so glad I came across this thread :)

Chardonnay
01-30-2014, 02:01 AM
This thread isn't too active! Shame!
I'll try to continue on though. Today was mine and bf's day 2 of fasting. Our first week on the 5:2 and it was even easier today. I got 480 calories, he got 610 calories:

I had my coffee, he had his banana
For lunch, we had steamed trout with broccoli and cauliflower. We seasoned the trout with lime juice, lemon slices, rosemary and pepper.
We had some air popped popcorn this evening.
He finished the Pho soup from Monday, I had broth with some saltines.
Lots of water too.

I'm not even hungry! :)

We both noticed that yesterday (our non-fasting day), that we felt better so were more motivated to fast today too.

CoolMom75
01-30-2014, 02:30 AM
This thread isn't too active! Shame!
I'll try to continue on though. Today was mine and bf's day 2 of fasting. Our first week on the 5:2 and it was even easier today. I got 480 calories, he got 610 calories:

I had my coffee, he had his banana
For lunch, we had steamed trout with broccoli and cauliflower. We seasoned the trout with lime juice, lemon slices, rosemary and pepper.
We had some air popped popcorn this evening.
He finished the Pho soup from Monday, I had broth with some saltines.
Lots of water too.

I'm not even hungry! :)

We both noticed that yesterday (our non-fasting day), that we felt better so were more motivated to fast today too.

Everything sounds yummy! This thread does move super slow. I post in a few other threads for that reason, to keep myself on track and motivated. Tomorrow is my fast day and it's been tough, especially in the evening. Hot tea saved me last time.

yoyoma
01-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Perhaps one of the reasons this thread is slow is that we are doing different variants of IF?

Chardonnay, it's fantastic that the 5:2 is working for you! I'm a huge fan of figuring out what works for you and I think it's not just different for different people, but I think it can change for the same person over time.

I love Pho, but I've never made it myself. Usually, when I eat out, I order it without noodles and hog all the bean sprouts. Bean sprouts are a pretty decent stand-in for noodles if I get them in quickly so that they cook a bit. Do you have a recipe that gets the broth to taste right? I know it's a beef broth, but it doesn't taste much like the usual beef broth I could buy.

Zoe, sending willpower dust your way and hoping things get easier. Although I'm loving my current approach, I did break myself in slowly (originally, my eating window started at 10 AM and didn't end until 10 PM!) and the transition period was tougher.

I have just officially moved my ticker down into the 140's after several days of weighing in there! :)

Yesterday, I ended up not being able to eat until 8:00 PM and oddly, I wasn't even particularly hungry then. I ate a reasonable meal anyway, and then I felt stuffed. Go figure.

I am very pleased with my current eating window approach, but it's super-specific to me. I really love knowing every day that I will be able to eat as much as I want later (but those foods do have to follow my specific eating rules). Also, I am an early bird, so although I generally end up just eating one meal at a normal dinner time, I am rarely at all hungry before I fall asleep. If I do start to get hungry, a cup of decaf with stevia and NFPM does the trick.

Which I guess brings up another point. I also allow myself a few unlimited calorie-containing beverages throughout the day. In my case, I have coffee with stevia and NFPM, tea (with or without addins), low sodium chicken broth, and home-made broths. The coffee is very important to me for the "not being miserable" part.

I do find that from about 4:00 until my eating window opens, I'm best off if I have something to distract myself. It's a very good time for me to get in a walk, do some chores like laundry or vacuuming, or recreational computer time. Some days I also spend part of that time commuting, and I don't mind getting caught in traffic as much as I used to, lol!

CoolMom75
01-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Yoyoma, congrats on the new decade! Tea and distractions help me a lot but I have to feed my kids three meals and I make most things from scratch. It's so hard resisting those little bites to taste things.

I love beef pho and make it in giant batches at home. There are lots of online resources for recipes and explaining the process. My first attempt yeilded a slightly fattier broth because I used too many marrow bones but even then it tasted so good!

jayavery
01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Ok so.......I am so discouraged. I have been doing WW's for 13 months. I have lost 104lbs. I have 7lbs to my goal of 135 but I want to really get to 130 so I have some play. These last lbs are taking forever. I started the IF last week. I dropped 2.5lbs for that week which I am happy with. I weigh Saturday's. So I weighed 1/25/14 and I was at 141.6. I fast M-W-F and do WW's on Tues and Thurs and weekends. Now on the 25th we did go to Red Robin for dinner. I hate a Boca Cheeseburger and 3 cheese sticks and about 7 fries. I had a small breakfast that day and did a lot of walking at the boat show. No lunch. That was my only cheat meal however I did not consume more calories then if I was to maintain that day. I was 100 calories under in fact. I also work out 6 days a week M-Sat. I alternate between 40 mins of cardio with HIIT and alternate days of strength training and 20 mins of cardio. Today....(I know it's Thursday. Not weigh day) I am up 6oz. I know I know. Small fluctuation. However....My digital scale does say I am down in body fat %. Small consolation. Thing is I was going to implement this fasting protocol to MAINTAIN my weight once I was at goal. Do the same during the week but be a bit freer on weekends. Only indulging really on holiday's, vacations, special events and such. But if I can't lose and only gain although small how am I to maintain? And what the ****? Ugh I cried in the shower. Pathetic. I so just want to get to the maintenance phase so I can just get on with this new "lifestyle". Thoughts???

CoolMom75
01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Too me, a fluctuation within a 5 pound range is maintenance. It's actually quite amazing you didn't go higher with that amount of sodium. The last 10 pounds are notoriously tough so don't let that discourage you. Extremely clean eating is needed so maybe focus on that in addition to calories.

Btw, congratulations on the 104 pounds!!!! That is amazing and inspiring!

jayavery
01-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Too me, a fluctuation within a 5 pound range is maintenance. It's actually quite amazing you didn't go higher with that amount of sodium. The last 10 pounds are notoriously tough so don't let that discourage you. Extremely clean eating is needed so maybe focus on that in addition to calories.

Btw, congratulations on the 104 pounds!!!! That is amazing and inspiring!

Thank you Zoe,

I generally don't have an issue with sodium or at least I haven't. The thing is I want to be able to indulge in the restaurant food every once in awhile on maint. So I guess I am discouraged that if I gain with all this deficit how in the heck can I maintain. I know it's not much and I am thinking I should stop getting on the darn scale. But I do understand what you are saying. The sodium and water do like to play games that is for sure. And again you nailed it as I am now making a grocery list and changing up my eating variety a bit and adding more protein.

Chardonnay
01-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi CoolMom75 :) Some herbal tea in the evenings helped me too, evenings are snack time for me...especially since my bf and I love to watch lots of movies. Last night it was nice, I had some sparkling water with a few dashes of Angostura bitters and some fresh lime, almost fooled me into thinking I was having a cocktail lol!

Hi yoyoma :) It was nice to come home to see all these posts! I hope it keeps up! Congrats on entering the 140's!!! :) I know what you mean..I'm a fan of finding what works for you, in my case, I just love food and wine too much to eat/drink too little, so the 2 days a week "fast" are great for me because I know I can have some wine and cheese the next day, I don't feel deprived at all. We even talked about trying it M-W-F's because we both feel so much better, our digestion is great and we feel leaner, more energy too! Lol at not minding getting into traffic! I'm the same, as long as my mind is occupied, I don't even think of eating, and I"m with you, have to keep the coffee in for sure. But mine is caloric...I still have cream and sugar, so that's 1/5th of my calories on fasting day.

For the Pho soup, I've never had it in a restaurant, in fact, I'd never heard of it before my bf asked me to make it. I just looked up a recipe online and made it with some changes, my bf said it was delicious (I totally agreed!), but it's using chicken broth...anyway, here's my recipe if you're interested!

Tonkinese Pho Soup:

Ingredients:
2 tsp sesame oil
1 cup of chopped onion
2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 large thinly sliced chicken breast
10 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup of shiitake mushrooms
About 1/4 package of rice vermicelli noodles (probably equivalent to about 1 cup cooked - I used 1/4 of my package to keep the calorie count, the original recipe calls for 4 oz.)
1-2 cups fresh bean sprouts
Big handful chopped fresh cilantro
soy sauce to taste

Directions:
- Heat sesame oil on medium heat, add onions and saute until soft
- Add ginger and cook for a few minutes
- Add lime juice, then chicken, cook for a few minutes, stirring often
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Add mushrooms, cook on high simmer for 4-5 minutes
- Add noodles and simmer for about 10 minutes
- Lastly, add the bean sprouts and cook to taste (usually I leave them no longer than 2-3 minutes) Add cilantro, mix and let sit for a few minutes then serve.

My version with my ingredients comes to about 5 servings at 245 calories a serving.

Hi jayavery :), well, you just started last week...I don't know, I mean, I had 5 un-explicable gained pounds last week...I only weigh once a week, so hopefully on Monday they'll be gone. I can't really give advice on it, considering I just started this week myself. I hope you find what works for you though. I have (currently) 17 pounds to my goal weight, and I'm hoping it's not too long and drawn out.

ShrinkingStudent
01-31-2014, 01:33 AM
Yeah i haven't posted in here for like 3 and a bit weeks, mostly because i'm doing a different style of IF to most the people posting so i can't really put much input in.

Update for me though, still have my scales going slowly down, just weighed in at 101kg (222.666...lbs) today, been keeping up with doing activities every week and just started back up some at home exercises. Hoping to hit <100kg before i go on my cruise in 17 days! because that free food is going to be hard to turn down for 9 nights.

ShrinkingStudent
02-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Well, allready hit my mini-goal. Weighed in at 99.2kg this morning.

Daimere
02-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Scale is going down slowly. Might have to start doing 5:2 again. Not sure.

I am up 6oz. I know I know.
You ate out. Restaurant food is loaded is sodium. Even though you don't add salt to your foods, restaurants do. Honestly, I'd recommend staying far away from the scale and keep doing what you are doing. You are a smaller size than you were years ago. That means it will take a lot longer for you to lose the last whatever pounds. Keep working on it and it will happen.

CoolMom75
02-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I did that thing again where I start a fast day but then cave for dinner. :( i'm going to try again today but wait until dinner for my meal. Sigh.

Chardonnay
02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I had a good fast day yesterday. I had just over 500 calories. I woke up with a coffee (75 calories now, I've switched to 5% cream)...for lunch I had a homemade mushroom soup with a few saltines (186 calories); then for dinner I made a slow-cooked modified baked bean recipe. I skipped the maple syrup and brown sugar and made it with kidney beans, vegan bacon, onions, garlic, chicken broth and Dijon. It turned out amazing and was so filling, 325 per serving. Total for the day was 586 calories. I drank lots of water and herbal tea. Doing yoga first thing in the morning is helping me to calm myself and focus on the fast, not on the food I'm missing. So far so good, I've lost 3 pounds since I started a week ago :) I'm so happy. This is a lifestyle change that will be easy for me to keep up!

pattygirl63
02-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Livestrong.com has a great article on IF. Here is the link if you want to read it.

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/intermittent-fasting-can-get-lean/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0205

DanafromAustin
02-07-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm going to start the Alternate - Day diet. Anyone out there tried it? I didn't have a lot of luck with the 5:2 as it was just too many days of trying not to overdo it.

yoyoma
02-08-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks Chardonnay and CoolMom for the tips on Pho. I will try to make my own later this month. Since I sub bean sprouts for noodles, it's very compatible with my eating guidance and one of my favorite foods!

Welcome, Dana. I haven't tried that specifically, but I'm a big believer at just trying out different things until you find something that works for you then sticking with it for as long as it's useful. I have plenty of experience with trying things, lol. My real problem has been finding things that can work not only to lose weight, but to live with as a permanent maintenance lifestyle. I'd really like to ditch the yoyo after decades of up and down.

Speaking of which, I've been very busy lately with stressy work stuff and at the same time, food fests for my DD's birthday. Usually, these circs might blow up a diet plan and would be a time of weight gain in maintenance. But my plan is so simple (dinnertime eating window plus some eating guidance) that I've stayed on plan and my weight has been stable. So, my WOE seems to be meeting my important criteria for being maintenance-friendly. :)

DanafromAustin
02-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome yoyoma! I agree about keep trying till you find the one that sticks. I did lose 95 pounds on Ideal Protein, but after 8 months of that my metabolism was so shot that I found it impossible to maintain because every time I took a bite of anything not on plan I would gain a couple of pounds, no joke. It took about a 1 1/2 years to gain much of it back except for the last 35 pounds. I tried going back to IP but I can't handle the food anymore. After reading about IF and dealing with my messed up metabolism, I'm hoping I found the answer.

shr1nk1ngme
02-08-2014, 04:26 PM
The IF I do is called JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet) It's a near-fast every other day, with eating loads of food on UpDays. Plus I also have an eating window of 8 hours. I eat my first meal around 2 PM and I'm done eating by 10 PM. It works well for me, but I also have t manage my carbs and my protein/fat ratios or else I stall.

patns
02-08-2014, 11:50 PM
The IF I do is called JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet) It's a near-fast every other day, with eating loads of food on UpDays. Plus I also have an eating window of 8 hours. I eat my first meal around 2 PM and I'm done eating by 10 PM. It works well for me, but I also have t manage my carbs and my protein/fat ratios or else I stall.

I was doing this but found I still had to be careful on the UpDays. But I am older. JUDD is simple to follow.

Dana I sent you a PM.

shr1nk1ngme
02-09-2014, 12:36 AM
I was doing this but found I still had to be careful on the UpDays. But I am older. JUDD is simple to follow.

I definitely still watch my calories/carbs and manage my fat/protein ratios on the UpDays. I never have an UUAD (up, up, and away day) and I am always working toward staying within 50 calories of an acceptable two day average based on the previous day's down-day calories.

For example, if I have 300 calories on my DownDay, I would then keep my UpDay right around 1700-1900 so the average is 1000-1100 calories. And I manage all my micro-nutrients to make sure I am getting all my vitamins and minerals, etc.

yoyoma
02-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I also avoid carb-heavy foods. My food "guidance" includes not eating any of the whole wheat pasta or bagels we keep on hand for my daughter and keeping even the whole grain rice or lentils we cook to a minimum (I know I can generally do this in maintenance).

My guidance also includes starting my meal with a serving of nuts and a veggie, cooked or uncooked (or sometimes a less sweet fruit like melon). Then there's some protein food and usually more veggie with that. I tend to be a little light on the healthy fats, so I take a fish oil supplement. I eat more salads in the summer, so that will help. Anyway, I can eat as much as I want of veggie and/or protein foods. I allow a small treat, like two squares of dark chocolate or a carby snack which I generally eat at the end of my meal (though I can eat through more of the veg/protein foods if I want throughout my window).

So far, so good. The weight isn't melting away, but I am trending down and I'm a lot less grouchy than I usually am while dieting and also I am optimistic that I can stick with it in the long run.

patns
02-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I definitely still watch my calories/carbs and manage my fat/protein ratios on the UpDays. I never have an UUAD (up, up, and away day) and I am always working toward staying within 50 calories of an acceptable two day average based on the previous day's down-day calories.

For example, if I have 300 calories on my DownDay, I would then keep my UpDay right around 1700-1900 so the average is 1000-1100 calories. And I manage all my micro-nutrients to make sure I am getting all my vitamins and minerals, etc.

Yes that is the advantage of the JUUD plan, easy to monitor over two days. And it is never too long between up days.

DanafromAustin
02-10-2014, 02:28 PM
The IF I do is called JUDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet) It's a near-fast every other day, with eating loads of food on UpDays.

That's the plan I was referring to when I said althernate day dieting. I just picked up the book by Dr. Johnson that looks like he just updated. Interesting stuff and lots of science to back it up.

The weight isn't melting away, but I am trending down and I'm a lot less grouchy than I usually am while dieting and also I am optimistic that I can stick with it in the long run.

I've done the rapid weight loss thing and after seeing what it's done to my metabolism, I would be thrilled to just being on a program that my weight is just trending down. I think it's just more sane for your body for the long haul.

lin43
02-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm going to start the Alternate - Day diet. Anyone out there tried it? I didn't have a lot of luck with the 5:2 as it was just too many days of trying not to overdo it.

I'm not an IFer (although I'm fascinated w/ it and wish I could do it!), but years ago I tried JUDD. This is just my experience (not knocking it as everyone is different): Initially, it seemed great. I lost at least five pounds the first week, and those up days were really, really great. However after the first week or two, I started dreading those down days in a MAJOR way. Soon, they seemed too much of a sacrifice to make up for the eating freedom on the up days. So, I couldn't stick with it.

I've been maintaining for more than two years by mainly calorie counting (having a weekly total and cycling my calories). Sometimes, I just want to let loose, though, and eat a really substantial meal every day. To that end, I would love to do some version of IF in which I just eat twice a day. I find it much easier to skip breakfast, and if I could just do that, I would just eat big lunch and a big dinner. However, my retired husband is really into going out to breakfast, and I hate to deprive him that. He easily skips lunch----not because he's trying to lose weight (he has never had a weight issue), but just because he doesn't want to bother with lunch. I suppose I could try to skip breakfast on those days when we don't go out to breakfast, but it's hard to get used to not eating during those hours when I cannot do it consistently. Arrgh!

yoyoma
02-12-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm not an IFer (although I'm fascinated w/ it and wish I could do it!), but years ago I tried JUDD. This is just my experience (not knocking it as everyone is different): Initially, it seemed great. I lost at least five pounds the first week, and those up days were really, really great. However after the first week or two, I started dreading those down days in a MAJOR way. Soon, they seemed too much of a sacrifice to make up for the eating freedom on the up days. So, I couldn't stick with it.

That was very close to my experience. In addition, as it got late on an up day, I found myself stuffing myself at the last minute.

Allowing myself to eat till full every day fixes this part of the mind game for me. Further, by allowing myself a 2.5 hour window, I know I don't have to stuff myself at the beginning of the window, so I'm able to eat just until I'm good and full but not overstuffed. I control the calories with my guidance (start with low calorie density foods) and make sure I get at least some healthy fats. My experience is that don't get hungry before I go to sleep, then I get the benefits of the leptin reset over night.

DanafromAustin
02-12-2014, 02:38 PM
This is only my third day of the alternate fasting so of course way too early to tell how it's going to work in the long run, but so far so good. After my first down day the scale went down and thankfully didn't go back up after my up day. To keep my calories under 500 on the down days I just pick something for breakfast, lunch and dinner that is very low in calories and I enjoy eating. On my up day I didn't over do it, but ate what I enjoyed with out getting stuffed, just comfortable. I have decided to do my down days Monday, Wednesday and Friday as it's just not realistic that I could have a down day on the weekend. What I will do though is on Sundays just have one main meal and eat very light the rest of the day.

jayavery
02-18-2014, 01:35 PM
This is only my third day of the alternate fasting so of course way too early to tell how it's going to work in the long run, but so far so good. After my first down day the scale went down and thankfully didn't go back up after my up day. To keep my calories under 500 on the down days I just pick something for breakfast, lunch and dinner that is very low in calories and I enjoy eating. On my up day I didn't over do it, but ate what I enjoyed with out getting stuffed, just comfortable. I have decided to do my down days Monday, Wednesday and Friday as it's just not realistic that I could have a down day on the weekend. What I will do though is on Sundays just have one main meal and eat very light the rest of the day.

I am with you Dana. I did WW's for about 12.5 months and about 100lbs. I seemed to have slowed so I went to counting calories and the IF as I hear "zig-zagging" calories would kick start my weight loss again. And it has seemed to work. I have done IF for 1 month and I am down about 9-10 lbs. I Fast M-W-F only having 500-600 cals for dinner and I eat my dinner no less that 24 hours after my dinner on my up day. My up days Tues-Thurs and Weekends I may have breakfast or I may skip and save the calories for lunch and or dinner. I stayed home from work one day on a Fast day and that was horrible. I dreamed of food I was so bored and hungry. I am hoping to incorporate IF in maintenance. Keep up the good work!!!

barclay
02-20-2014, 12:04 PM
I have been doing IF for 3 weeks and have dropped 21 lbs. I also have an eating window between 2 pm and bedtime. I really like it, and I don't find the fast days too bad. My real struggle is keeping my calories up on up days. i also find it is a bit like carb cycling because on my fast days my carbs are very low but they pop up again on my up days.

yoyoma
02-20-2014, 06:25 PM
I have been wondering what to do about all the food-fueled social events that happen during the day. I had been thinking that I would probably end up making some exceptions. Today, I opted out of free pizza at work and it went well. Honestly, I'm so used to my window that I wasn't even hungry despite being surrounded by pizza. I don't think I will plan on making absolutely no exceptions, but sticking with the schedule seems like the best rule in general.

Simple is something I need, too. Counting calories (or carbs) and having to constantly decide how much/what/when to eat takes up too much of my attention. Unfortunately, even with a small eating window, I still need to be pretty careful about what I eat if I want to avoid gaining weight so I have an evolving set of eating guidelines, but it's still a lot simpler. At least I only need to think about it during my window!

marthamay
02-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Apologies if this has been asked many times, just didn't have time to read through the entire thread!

I'm doing 5:2 and on my fast days I drink black coffee, no sugar, splash of milk through the day. It helps my energy levels.
I know this is technically 'allowed' because I count it into my cal limit but I was wondering if anyone thought this was potentially unhealthy or counterproductive?
I do feel a bit wired but it allows me to get through to dinner time without food.
Any thoughts?

yoyoma
02-24-2014, 06:39 AM
I have a different schedule, but I drink coffee during my fast periods (hi-test in the morning, decaf in the afternoon) with a spoonful of NFPM and truvia/stevia. I don't know if this disqualifies my by purist standards, but I know I'm not giving it up!

marthamay
02-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks Yoyoma

laciemn
02-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I tried this for the first time today and skipped breakfast. I ate some cashews at around 1 pm and then had steak salad and veggies for dinner. Hoping to avoid the late night munchies!

shr1nk1ngme
02-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Hoping to avoid the late night munchies!

This was my main reason for doing IF. I ALWAYS used to lose control in the evenings. I mean, every. single. night.

But now, since almost all of my calories are planned to be in the evening, I can eat, eat, eat all evening long and still stay on plan. It goes against what they say (don't skip breakfast, eat six smaller meals, etc.) but it's what keeps me from binging.

ShrinkingStudent
03-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Well I've just finished up my first week back on campus at university and I'm finally back on plan after my cruise and down to just over the weight i was before i left for the cruise. Back doing two meals from midday to 8pm and on a deficit enough to lose 2 pounds a week.

I saw a really interesting study they are doing in my uni that includes a body composition scan and full metrics while excercising, so i might have to go see them as that would be pretty cool. Hope everyone is going well.

nonameslob
03-13-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm new to this forum but I've been doing 5:2 since August of last year...figured I would post here so I can stay in touch with this thread. Sounds like there's many many different ways of doing intermittent fasting. I'm really happy with this plan and can see myself sticking to it for a long, long time.

GetHealthy
03-20-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't know if this is the right forum for this or not, but I am currently doing a grape fast. I have done this before for about 15 days and I lost about 8 lbs. This time I am planning for 23 days. I think it will get easier as time goes on, especially when I see the scale moving. I get really motivated when the scale moves. People say the first three days are the hardest. Today is day 2. Essentially all you eat are grapes (any color or size). You can have as many as you want. I don't count the calories, I can't imagine I'm ever consuming more than 1200 per day though, so I don't think that's an issue.
I think the grapes are better than juices because you actually have to chew grapes, so your body goes through a normal digestive process. Also, your body detoxes, which can help with weight loss.
I like it because it's so simple. I don't have to prep meals, or think about counting calories, and it's only one food. I think just eating grapes and not thinking about food will help my relationship with food, so that I am not so fixated on it all the time.

ShrinkingStudent
03-22-2014, 06:29 AM
To answer your question from ages ago marthamay, I believe somewhere i read when i started is that less than 50 cals won't break your fast.

Anyway i thought i would leave a message here just to let you guys know that I'm moving on from Intermittent fasting, I've been doing it for just over 7 months and have lost ~28kg (62lbs). I'm down to my last bit of weight to lose and i'm going to head back to Insanity to hopefully tone my body and hopefully end up with like one of those after photos you see.

I think i'll be back to IF after it, if only for maintenece, but doing Insanity without my morning protein shake would be **** (and seeing as i'm straight into classes most mornings that would suck). I hope everyone has great success with IF'ing and i'll probably still be around the forums posting mini-goals and I'll be documenting my progress this round so there should be a Goal Weight post with pics.

Liliann
03-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Hello all.. :wave:

I skimmed through most of the posts and will chime in here . I started IF today, and this method is my method . Its simple for me ,since am stay at home caregiver.I skipped breakfast, and snacks...and have lunch,dinner. Between I drink water,coffee,diet coke. I won't weigh in till June 1st. :)

YumaDeb
03-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi all,
I am new to 3FatChicks and have been doing IF off and on for a few months. It took me 7 months to lose 8 pounds. At 57 it is much harder for me to lose. I like IF because it works with so many other dieting styles: calorie counting, lo carb, rotation...whatever. Right now I have an eating window between noon and 6 pm. I workout in the morning while still fasting. My big meal is at noon. I usually have just a smoothy or small salad for dinner. This allows me to lose steadily except when I go out of town. Then I usually end up gaining a couple of pounds back. I am grateful to find support for IF. Not many people know what it is in any of its forms.

archychick
03-27-2014, 01:29 AM
Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a long while. I am a natural IF'er as I really only get hungry after 4p. I've been living this way most of my life, but felt like a weirdo. If'ing has become even more important for me because in the last few years, after turning 40, if I eat before 4p my digestion gets screwed up and I feel so bloated - so hard to work at my desk like that. My big problem, however, has been overeating at night. My husband blamed it on the fact that I don't eat all day, but I really think it was the fact that the daytime is so stressful and at night it is peaceful. Since I have taken steps to decrease my sress in the daytime, I haven't been overeating at night. Occassionally I will get hungry in the daytime and will eat. I don't restrict myself as I want to acknowledge my true hunger.

I am coupling this woe with the Weight Watchers Program and it is working well. The only issues that I have are with others' ideas of what my personal woe should be. The reason having a group like you all for support is so important! I don't have to tell you that though, do I. :)

laciemn & shr1ink1ngme, whatever keeps you from binging do it. Really, I truly believe that there is no one right woe for everyone.

ShrinkingStudent: Congratulations and the best in all of your endeavors!

Liliann: Hiya! I just returned here after a long time away. Working the method that works for you is SO much less work than going against it. I find that during those busy times of the day that I don't eat makes things go smoother for me.

YumaDeb: You are so right about it working with other styles. I am working it with Weight Watchers and it all just gels for me. Yes, support is great. I don't offer my eating plan to others, but when I am with others and it is during my fasting time and they want to eat, the questions begin followed by the needling critisism and nagging advice.

Hey yoyoma! :)

nonameslob
03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Still loving 5:2! My weight-loss has finally gone up a bit on a weekly basis..I think because I cut out all alcohol Mon.-Thurs (I'd usually have a glass of wine or two after work). It's still relatively slow, but steady. I just can't get over how easy eating this way is, and I never want to stop.

Also, my mom commented on how good my skin looks the other day. I don't know for sure if 5:2 is the cause, but I've heard similar things from others. So that was another bonus :D

Health Nut
03-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Before I post a new thread, I thought I'd try here first! A lot of you are doing 5:2 diet, but have any of you attempted the alternate day fasting? I heard it's better and faster, and possibly easier to follow. The basic idea is that you eat very little calories on one day (not true fasting! But like, 350 calories for women)-- and then you eat your maintenance calories or normally the next day (most people don't count calories.. and I am not planning to. I'll just eat what I eat normally when I eat healthy stuff.)
You repeat this pattern till you lose all the weight. Anyone?

I "heard" of someone who attempted this diet and managed to lose 30 pounds in two months. I was so impressed. Just wanted to see if this was at all possible. I don't think I'll be able to lose that much, obviously, but does it work? Seems too good to be true that I could be eating burgers 4 times a week and still lose weight! Ha.

nonameslob
03-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Before I post a new thread, I thought I'd try here first! A lot of you are doing 5:2 diet, but have any of you attempted the alternate day fasting? I heard it's better and faster, and possibly easier to follow. The basic idea is that you eat very little calories on one day (not true fasting! But like, 350 calories for women)-- and then you eat your maintenance calories or normally the next day (most people don't count calories.. and I am not planning to. I'll just eat what I eat normally when I eat healthy stuff.)

I "heard" of someone who attempted this diet and managed to lose 30 pounds in two months. I was so impressed. Just wanted to see if this was at all possible. I don't think I'll be able to lose that much, obviously, but does it work? Seems too good to be true that I could be eating burgers 4 times a week and still lose weight! Ha.

Ive never attempted ADF, but I've thought about it. Honestly, I find 5:2 so easy. Im afraid with ADF, I wouldn't be able to sustain it and switching to manitenance would be a difficult transition. I'm not in a race and this is slowly but surely working for me. I definitely would love to hear some success stories though!

shr1nk1ngme
04-01-2014, 11:52 AM
I do a form of ADF called Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet, or JUDDD. You can Google it. I have found it to be amazingly effective for me; but I do it in combination with my other WOE's, too. That is to say, I eat low-carb, I am a vegetarian, and I also practice eating windows (I don't eat before 2-3 PM). All in all, my weight loss is pretty consistent and I love that I get to be more indulgent every other day or so.

berryblondeboys
04-04-2014, 11:01 PM
I kind of accidentally ate this way the last two days. I was running errands all day and didn't get to eating until dinner. It was remarkably easy, but man is my stomach way full. I ate a humongous salad. Gee whiz,,, how long does it take to digest?

Not sure if I'm going to continue eating this way, but it would be easier with my family unlike what I was doing before where oftentimes I was done eating before they had dinner. I just couldn't hold out!

And how did I go from feeling so full to feeling hunger pangs? Weird!

yoyoma
04-05-2014, 09:22 AM
I kind of accidentally ate this way the last two days. I was running errands all day and didn't get to eating until dinner. It was remarkably easy, but man is my stomach way full. I ate a humongous salad. Gee whiz,,, how long does it take to digest?

Not sure if I'm going to continue eating this way, but it would be easier with my family unlike what I was doing before where oftentimes I was done eating before they had dinner. I just couldn't hold out!

And how did I go from feeling so full to feeling hunger pangs? Weird!

I think you are saying you ate so much salad that you felt overstuffed, but then you had hunger pangs soon after (possibly while still feeling stuffed).

If I understood you correctly, I totally know what you are talking about. Our hunger signals are complex and come from a variety of source, a full stomach just being one of them. I will start my meal with fresh fruits and/or veggies because they are high-volume and will help fill me up without a lot of calories. But I avoid completely filling up on them. At or near the beginning of the meal, I also start eating some healthy fat. For me, that usually means something like EVOO on salad, goat cheese with red pepper strips, a half avacodo, and/or some raw nuts. In addition to being healthy, a good dollop of healthy fats will help other hunger cues.

After the raw course, I almost always eat freely of some cooked meat/fish/egg/tofu and veg dish. I find protein is another good food for helping with hunger cues.

Now, here's the trickiest part for me. Even with plenty of volume, healthy fats, and protein, I still often feel something is missing. I call it "toothsomeness" and to me that box is checked with a small serving of whole grain, legume, winter squash, etc (some unprocessed whole starchy carb). Like I said, this is the tricky part, because if I eat too much of it, I find it triggers my hunger instead of satisfying it. Your mileage may vary. I usually mix this with or alongside the meat/veg dish. I don't always have it, but I usually try to eat some small serving.

I have a daily eating window of 6PM - 8:30 PM. This allows me to eat my big meal at 6:00 and know that I can come back later and eat more. And sometimes I do, but most often not. But just knowing that I could come back and eat more later helps keep me from over-stuffing myself (usually).

Good luck, BBB. I hope you find an approach that works for you!

berryblondeboys
04-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Well, my salad was a meal in itself - spring greens, red pepper, sugar snap peas,almond slices, cut up apple, a bit of bacon, hard boiled egg, a few dried cranberries, avocado, olive oil and red wine vinegar and then pork apple sausage cut up into it. Plenty of fats and veggies.

I've been craving salads big time the last week or so - must mean it is finally spring!

CoolMom75
04-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Well, my salad was a meal in itself - spring greens, red pepper, sugar snap peas,almond slices, cut up apple, a bit of bacon, hard boiled egg, a few dried cranberries, avocado, olive oil and red wine vinegar and then pork apple sausage cut up into it. Plenty of fats and veggies.

I've been craving salads big time the last week or so - must mean it is finally spring!

You're making me want a salad next. Yum! I burned myself out with weeks of salads and switched over to roasted veggies. I roast all different kinds and sauté the leafy greens, put in a bowl with a sprinkle of feta and some meat if I have it, or an egg, or canned meat. But then I have lettuce in the fridge getting ignored (i get a weekly produce delivery). I did read someone sautéed lettuce and had never considered that before!

lin43
04-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Someone else had posted this same question a few weeks ago (try clicking a few pages back) and received a couple of responses (mine being one of them). In short, though, here's my experience (YMMV): I tried it, and it was great for the first week, but those Down Days really get old by week two or three. I REALLY started dreading them. Think about it: With only 350-500 calories on each Down Day, you really might as well say you're eating one small meal per DD. That became very difficult to sustain. Like any other plan, the weight loss was most significant the first week (I think I lost 5 lbs or something like that). Then, it slowed dramatically. At the time I was doing it (several years ago), I was part of a forum of other people who were doing it, and I noticed that over time, the weight loss slowed significantly or stopped for many of the posters (not all, though; some consistently lost). The reason for this may be that some people seemed to be overeating on Up Days. IMHO, unless you have at least a rough idea of how many calories you're eating, even on Up Days, there's a danger of overeating on Up Days and undoing all the hard work of Down Days. Also, as you can see from someone who posted an answer to your question above, experiences vary. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see how it goes.

I don't do IF, but if I did, the only way I would do it is to eat two meals a day: a late breakfast / early lunch and dinner. That seems more doable to me than other methods I've seen (but to each her own). Try looking back a few pages, and you'll see that conversation.

lin43
04-05-2014, 03:37 PM
You're making me want a salad next. Yum! I burned myself out with weeks of salads and switched over to roasted veggies. I roast all different kinds and sauté the leafy greens, put in a bowl with a sprinkle of feta and some meat if I have it, or an egg, or canned meat. But then I have lettuce in the fridge getting ignored (i get a weekly produce delivery). I did read someone sautéed lettuce and had never considered that before!

Me, too! I was reading BerryBlondie's salad and salivating. Then, your post about roasting veggies reminded me of something I do with salads: I preheat a cast iron skillet for about ten minutes in my broiler, spray some olive oil on cut up red peppers, lightly steamed string beans, and shitake mushrooms, and broil those until the green beans and peppers get a bit of char on them. I then toss those into my salad. I really love the contrast of flavors between those broiled veggies and the fresh veggies.

berryblondeboys
04-05-2014, 04:19 PM
I love roasted veggies too. Eating enough fat and veggies has never been a problem. It's avoiding the carbs that has been.

YumaDeb
04-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Getting enough veggies and fat is not a problem for me either. I love salads and steamed or roasted veggies. The form of IF that I follow is two meals a day. I eat my larger meal for lunch and a small meal for dinner. My weight loss coach is advising me against IF and encouraging me to eat small protein meals every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar stable and metabolism up. It is worth trying for a few weeks.

CoolMom75
04-08-2014, 12:35 AM
I'm currently on the fence with IF. It doesn't seem like the sustainable way of eating I thought it was in the beginning. Maybe because I'm more active, weightlifting and some cardio. It did get me started though!

ElizabethLC
04-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi all, I'm currently on Day 5 of my own little "Intro to IF" challenge. I have never tried it before and thought I would give it a shot for a short amount of time first and then see if it agreed with me or not. :) So, trying it for about 12 days and then assessing how I felt throughout.

coffeebrain1953
04-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Good morning everyone. I started the Every Other Day Diet today. I really believe intermittent fasting will finally get this weight off. I tried the 8 Hour Diet, and I actually gained weight on it! I did lose weight following 5:2 last year. I'm hopeful that EOD will work just a bit faster.

archychick
04-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi all,

Been having a really rough couple of weeks. Fell off my WW plan just a little, but keeping to my IF schedule has really helped I think. I know that I don't feel sluggish like I do when I eat during the day. So, good report here.

Sending everyone good vibes --------------->

rockieroad55
04-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Hello everyone,. I've just started here and I've done a few different things in the last year to try to get my WL going.. I started out eating one meal a day with carbs included, but found out early that I couldn't hold enough food at one meal to sustain me. .so, I tried IF by going every other day with 500 cals.,, that was a real challenge because of the hunger I would feel on the down days. .I did make an important discovery about myself tho, I found that if I would do the alternate day thing and use protein on the down days, my appetite started to diminish. . I soon carried that idea over to the up days, by limiting my carbs and choosing better carbs such as veggies. .I feel pretty good doing it , most days, and have recently added some bulletproof coffee drinks to keep calories lower. . I'm trying to watch how my body responds and I feel I've found something I can do, I've lost about 18 lbs in the last few months, so that has encouraged me, the biggest help has been that my appetite and cravings have diminished greatly.. I use down days to kind of experiment with some things, I've recently read a couple of books by Jennifer Jolan that offer some 1 day type things that have helped, also.

wvuchick
04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Hello all! I am jumping back on the IF bandwagon. Last year I did ESE for awhile. Had great results, but fell off the wagon. I kind of stumbled into Fast 5 recently and so far it is great.

I have been fasting 14 hours a day for about a month now, a couple weeks ago I decided I was tired about worrying about coming up with something to eat for lunch everyday. So I just decided to skip it. I have since found out that I am doing Fast 5. Actually more like fast 3 and a half. :)

I found it much easier with my lifestyle to do Fast 5. So I am now on day 9 and I love it. I am not nearly as hungry through the day as if I had eaten breakfast and lunch.

I find if I'm not allowed to eat at all (during a certain time) I have much more willpower. E.g. a going away party at work where I turned down some very delicious looking pineapple upsidedown cake. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

nonameslob
04-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi all! Welcome rockie and wvuchick :)

I love that we are all doing such different forms of IF! I'm still doing 5:2, but have been thinking of seeing if I can fit 4:3 (which I guess is essentially ADF) into my schedule. That would, however, mean fasting on a Friday or weekend...which actually might be a good thing. I am always really good during the week but the weekend is where things get dicey. We'll see how my weigh-in goes this week before I decide.

wvuchick
04-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks noname!

I agree about loving all the different forms of IF represented here. It is all about doing what works for you.

I don't worry too much about the weekends. I usually burn massive amounts of calories shopping or working around the house, but I was actually pretty excited that I was able to stick to my eating window on Saturday and only ate an hour and a half early on Sunday (awesome considering it was Easter :carrot:).

I'm lucky this time around that my husband is "dieting" too, he's not doing IF, but he did this weekend, since he can't eat a meal without me. ;)

Yogini99
04-22-2014, 03:44 PM
I am so glad this forum is here! I love IF, but have been finding that I have to be careful of calories on non fast day. Of course, the fact that I ate a bunch of easter cookies this weekend is beside the point!
Really, I hate to count calories, but I am going do it now, to ensure that I lose. It's harder to lose now that I'm 49.
Is there something about a hard workout that causes water retention?

wvuchick
04-22-2014, 04:33 PM
I should have mentioned that I do still count calories while doing Fast 5. I'm trying to stick to about 1600 a day. Except on weekends, because I am so active.

nonameslob
04-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Yogini99 What form of IF are you doing? I counted calories at the beginning with 5:2, and I start to count again whenever I notice that I'm not losing. It's good to keep in check, but it's nice to not feel like I need to do it every day. I haven't counted in months, it's so freeing!

About the water retention, I did a lot of reading about that recently because I was SO sore after a lot of hiking this weekend and noticed an abnormally large gain this weekend. There's a bunch of different theories, but the one I saw the most was that your body holds onto certain fluids when it is repairing muscle. *shrug*

wvuchick that's great about your husband! My bf is similar. He noticed me losing weight and picked up some healthier habits. Plus on my fasting days, we have a pretty light dinner. I gave up on making something separate for him, and if I don't cook for him, he eats crap.

Yogini99
04-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Hi Noname (I CAN'T call you "slob"!!!)
I do the 5:2 fast. I feel like I just don't have a good gauge on what I can eat on non fast days. I am hoping that by counting for a little while, I will get a clue again on portion size and calories of things. I am shocked sometimes at how fast the calories add up! Good grief.
That's great to know about the water retention post work out- wonder how long that lasts?
How much weight do you lose per month or so with the 5:2. How many cals per day (about, I know you aren't counting) on non fast days?
I am trying to stick to what the my fitness pal says I can eat on non fast days- 1450

nonameslob
04-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Yogini Ha! You can call me slob if you want. I would take it as a compliment - it's a quote from Breakfast at Tiffany's :)

It's definitely worth counting for a while. How long have you been doing 5:2? On average I lose 1/2 to one pound a week. It's very slow going. I started last August and have lost about 25 pounds since then (I slipped up a lot over the holidays).

I eat around 2,000 calories (less on weekdays, more on weekends) on a non-fast day which is what is recommended by Michael Mosley, the guy who wrote The Fast Diet. MFP is telling you to eat 1450 a day because it thinks that's what you should be eating 7 days a week in order to lose weight (it doesn't have the capacity to understand IF - most 5:2ers I know set MFP to "sustain"). You could try to increase your calories on feast days - from my understanding, the shock factor between a fast day and a feast day is part of what gives you some of the health benefits of 5:2 and can help kick-start your metabolism. You're certainly not at risk of *starvation mode*, but you can probably cut yourself a little slack on feast days and still lose weight.

That's just my experience. In full disclosure, I've never read the book :P

wvuchick
04-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Good morning all,

Yogini, I agree with nonameslob about the 7 days a week thing. You could eat as much as 1830 calories on your feast days and still be creating the calorie deficit mfp suggests. That's pretty awesome. :dance:

nonameslob Yeah, my husband only wants to lose 25 lbs. which after two weeks he is half way there. :rolleyes: Life is so unfair sometimes.

Yesterday for some reason I was really hungry. I managed not to eat outside my window and I actually ate less than usual when I did. And this morning I was one pound down :goodscale

Have a fabulous day all!

yoyoma
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
It's been a while since I posted here, so I'll mention that I have a short daily eating window (6:00-8:30) which works well for me. I tried Alternate Day Fasting, and it just didn't work out as well for me. One thing I love about my WOE is how easy it is for me to make an exception (like for Easter) and just get right back on track the next day. I'm feeling good about that this week.

I haven't really made any weight loss progress in the last month, but that's OK with me because my main goal is to find a lifestyle that I can live with in maintenance after a lifetime of yoyo dieting. That said, I have tweaked my eating rules (really just reverting to some older ones) because I'd like to build up some slack for vacations and such.

My WOE includes eating all I want of veg & protein so I'm "feasting" for one meal a day. I retroactively counted the calories from yesterday and it totaled around 1400. (I am most decidedly NOT going to count cals as part of my lifestyle. I was just doing it as a sanity check). That should be plenty low for weight loss if I'm not having too many exception days.

Yogini, the extra water weight from a workout usually shows up the next day and is mostly gone the day after (I'm not really speaking from personal experience, just mostly what I've heard), but if your muscles are still sore, it could hang on a bit longer. A really hard workout can add 2 pounds or so easy. For ppl with more mass and more muscle, the amount can be even higher (but they also lift/workout at a higher level).

Yogini99
04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info!
Noname- I will have to check out the Breakfast at Tiffany's reference! So glad to know you aren't hating on yourself..Ha!
I will try setting the calories on sustain, rather than lose- that will make my life nicer :)
I think I am losing less than a lb a week so far- slooooow. But, I haven't been perfect the whole time, and ate a bunch of cookies this weekend. I don't regret it really...they were delicious!
The biggest thing, like you guys say, is finding something sustainable. I like the idea of the eating window also, yoyoma. With the 5:2 fast, it's definitely easier for me to have only coffee (yes, with half and half!) in the am and then eat around 5:30, a small dinner. So eating window would probably not be super hard for me. What if you have to go to lunch with someone, etc? Do you move the window?

Yogini99
04-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Noname- forgot to answer, I have been doing 5:2 for about a year, off and on. It is great for maintenance- trouble occurred when I decided over the winter that I could eat organic ice cream on non fast days and not really exercise either, except for walking!!
I have been doing it more carefully for the last month or so, while eating better on non fast days and upping the exercise. Since loss was slow, I just started counting calories on non fast days. I will probably up them to a little more than 1450 by changing MFP to sustain- at least on some days.
I have been playing around with HIIT exercise and I like it. What do you like to do for exercise?

wvuchick
04-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Happy Friday eve all!
Just thought I'd check in. I was again hungrier than usual yesterday, but stuck to my window and calories. So that was a good thing.

I have a doctor's appointment today. I'm hoping for good results, but it was pre-fast 5, so it will be a good starting point. I so hate getting on the scale there, so I wore the lighest close I could manage for work to try to help the scale a bite. LOL.

Yogini - You may already know this, but you can set MFP for the calories you choose. They don't give the option of calorie cycling (different totals for each day), but that might help. I found out my TDEE using my body fat percentage (a very depressing number indeed) and changed MFP to 30% below that. Just a thought.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

nonameslob
04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
wvuchick I didn't know that about MFP! I thought you just had to choose sustain or one of those other options. But I don't use it much anymore anyway. Except when I'm trying a new recipe...ugh, I tried something new on my fast day on Monday and it was AWFUL! Not much worse than having to eat something you don't like on a 500 and under day. Sticking with my trusty grilled chicken salad tonight.

Good luck with the doctor's appt today!

I just filled out my life insurance form for work. Last year in July is when I found out I was being denied due to my weight, which is what spurred me to try 5:2. It felt really good to fill out my weight this year. Only 25 pounds from when I filled it out last summer, but I am VERY proud of that and am looking forward to getting an approval letter!

wvuchick
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM
To change your calories in MFP, from the home page click on Goals > Change Goals > Custom. That will take you to the screen, you can change it all, just not by day, which would be great if you are on 5:2 and still count calories.

25 lbs is nothing to sneer at. It's like carrying around 3 one gallon jugs of water. :D

wvuchick
04-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Had a pretty good IF weekend. I did eat yesterday a couple hours early, but I worked in the yard for 5.5 hours, so I'm sure I didn't do too much damage. I keep patiently waiting for the scale too move. Today marks too weeks on Fast 5, so according to the book, I should start seeing some progress soon!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Yogini99
04-29-2014, 02:13 PM
WVU Chick- thanks for info about MFP and how to enter my own calories. That will be great.
No Name- awesome that you have lost 25 lbs!

nonameslob
04-29-2014, 02:22 PM
wvuchick Hope you see a loss soon!

Yogini99 Thanks! How are things going for you?

I'm somewhat going to attempt 4:3 this week. Fasted Monday, will fast again Wednesday, and on Friday I will simply fast until dinnertime and then let myself have whatever (within reason, but we usually go out to eat or get drinks on Fridays). I usually just fast Mon & Thurs so hopefully this will give me a slight boost. And it's one less breakfast and lunch to plan! If it goes well I'll continue it from here on out.

Also, this is kind of random, but my hair has been growing RAPIDLY ever since I started this diet. I personally don't really notice it (since I WANT it long lol) but everyone keeps commenting on it, and I have never experienced that before.

TheSatinPumpkin
04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Going to really look into IF more but started my no food 48 hour fast on Sunday 4pm until today 6:30pm. Not a true fast as i still have my one cup of decaf w/ Davinci SF and HWC.

nonameslob
04-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I'd still call it a "true fast". I've read you don't break a fast as long as what you've had is under 50 calories. Dunno if it's true or not but I always have my coffee while fasting. Good for you! I can't imagine a 48 hour fast, that takes willpower! :D

Yogini99
04-29-2014, 03:25 PM
I always have coffee while fasting too. I do better if I don't eat on fast days until dinner ( I generally follow 5:2 fast plan) but I can't make it through day without some coffee in the am. I use half and half in it so that is 40 cals.
Congratulations on the 48 hr fast Satin Pumpkin :)

No Name- Things are going ok- i was just in Chicago last Thursday til Sunday. Had fun- ate a lot of Italian food. I did manage to skip breakfast all days, and sometimes lunch. I haven't weighed in- Ugh!
Only exercise those days was lots of walking. I think the 4:3 sounds awesome. I may try that too- only issue is that my guy fasts Mon Thurs and if I do that, there will be one crabby person in the house M-F :) Maybe I could do M, Th and Friday
We are always kind of crabby on fast days- do you find that to be true?

TheSatinPumpkin
04-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Now i feel better as coffee is much of a staple to me as eggs lol.

nonameslob
04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh gosh yes I don't think I could fast until dinner were it not for coffee! I also use half-and-half AND sugar (switching to honey though lately, yum).

Yogini99 would he switch his fasts with you? I can imagine that would be a lot of stress in the house with you two fasting different days! As for being crabby, I'd probably have to ask my better half his opinion on that LOL Honestly I think I'm pretty level-headed until I get home and all I want to do is make dinner and if anything stands between me and dinner, that's when I get mean!

Sounds like you had an enjoyable time in Chicago :D

Yogini99
04-29-2014, 04:29 PM
No Name-
I am not crabby until dinner time either :) Fine during the day, but I am pretty crabby from about 8 pm on....I think it's gotten a little better over time..but still....
i don't put sugar in the coffee but agree with you- forget all the chemical nonsense sweeteners--- give me pure unadulterated sweetness!! :)

yoyoma
04-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I am a coffee junkie during the day (hitest in the AM; decaf in the PM). I drink it with stevia and NFPM. I have an eating window from 6PM to 8:30 PM and there's no way anyone is getting me to give up my coffee during the rest of the day. :coffee2:

wvuchick
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM
yoyoma - I'm sure you've probably already answered this, but I was just wondering if you've lost all 37 lbs doing IF.

I only get crabby if my hubby interrupts my break-fast. Of course he'd probably disagree, since he thinks I'm a crab all the time. :D

nonameslob
04-30-2014, 11:59 AM
yoyoma what is NFPM? Nonfat...something milk? Powdered?

Glad to see there's so many coffee lovers in here :D I am on a cold-brew kick lately, though I'm sticking to that on non-fast days because I end up using much more milk. Regular hot coffee on fast days.

Today is my second fast of the week. Ended up fasting until near lunchtime yesterday due to a scheduling issue, and felt fine (amazing considering I had fasted the day before) until I ate a bowl of fruit and became ravenous. Funny how fruit does that to me... Anyway, no clue what's for dinner tonight. Probably chicken salad and let the bf fend for himself!

wvuchick
05-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Down a pound today. I've cut my calories down a little, because I simply too full to eat what I was. I don't feel deprived of anything. I love IF and fast 5!!

sunshine
05-02-2014, 06:57 AM
I started the one meal a day plan a week and a half ago and it's going great for me. I've lost about 6 lbs. I eat a plant based diet so my meals consist of salad and a plate of cooked veggies, including beans, fruit and rice, etc.

ShaMac
05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Hello I would like to join you all here, if I may? I lost a little over 40lbs last year doing IF. I let my guard down to try IE and that turned out to be a disaster for me. I'm not sure how much I gained since I refuse to weigh myself. I know I jumped up several sizes in a matter weeks ( May have been a few months but it was still rather quickly:dizzy:).

I recently started back IF this week. I am currently doing 4:3 until I can get a handle on my eating. I'm not sure how long I will be doing 4:3 because it's kind of hard and I don't want to derail myself from being too strict.

nonameslob
05-02-2014, 04:24 PM
ShaMac Hi! Of course you may join us. Welcome back to IF :) Are you planning to do 5:2 after 4:3 for a while? Or do you follow some other IF plan?

I just started 4:3 as my loss has been very slow lately. This is my 3rd fast this week and I'm wondering if I made a bad decision! I am SO HUNGRY today. I don't usually feel hungry on 5:2 anymore so this was a rude awakening. I'll give it another try next week, but if it's like this again, then I think I'd rather just go back to 5:2 while counting calories on feast days.

Anyway, welcome back and I commiserate. :D

Yogini99
05-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Welcome ShaMac :)
I practice 5:2 and have been trying to count cals on most feast days during week at least. I find 5:2 pretty easy, but count calories now on non fast days because weight loss was slooooow!
I have been thinking of trying 4:3- scared now that NoName says it's hard!! haha

nonameslob
05-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Oh don't let me scare you! It feels like how it felt the first few weeks doing 5:2. I'm sure there's an adjustment period. It also doesn't help that I didn't eat the most healthy dinner last night (ravioli...mmm). I usually do better if I have a protein-heavy dinner.

Worth a shot I'd say! Then the three of us can commiserate together :P

yoyoma
05-02-2014, 04:58 PM
I started the one meal a day plan a week and a half ago and it's going great for me. I've lost about 6 lbs. I eat a plant based diet so my meals consist of salad and a plate of cooked veggies, including beans, fruit and rice, etc.

Hi, sunshine, I'm happy to see another one-meal-a-day member! I eat a lot of veggies and a limited serving of starchy whole foods, but other than that I'm pretty low carb. The core of my plan is the one-meal-a-day aspect, with no calorie counting. I think I can stick with that in maintenance too! In fact, I'm sortof in maintenance now, intentionally losing weight pretty slowly and I can see this as my ongoing lifestyle. Good luck to you!

ShaMac
05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

Yogini, I agree with noname. It's an adjustment but it's doable.

Noname I think I will go back to 5:2 after I get a handle on my eating. I also have an eating window that follow everyday, but sometimes I don't eat on fasting days at all. I'm kind of all over the place with my rules, but it has worked for me, and hopefully I can work it out again.

Yogini99
05-02-2014, 05:30 PM
So NoName- easier to fast the next day when you have a protein heavy dinner? I should pay attention to that...makes sense! Are you still doing MW and then eat normal dinner on Friday (vs. 500 cal dinner)?

wvuchick
05-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Wow. I get busy at work and the forum blows up.

Welcome ShaMac. I do fast 5 and still counting calories. They can creep up on you before you know

My loss has been slow, but I know if I stick to it, I'll get there. This is definitely something I can see myself doing for the long term.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

ShaMac
05-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks Wvychick!

I think this is my first time having a down day on a weekend in my IF experience. These past few hours have been really hard for me. My eating window closes at 9 so I think I'll be ok after my window closes, I usually don't think about food after. I also need to work on myself on up days, I have been overeating and I know that is undoing my progress.

nonameslob
05-05-2014, 09:56 AM
So NoName- easier to fast the next day when you have a protein heavy dinner? I should pay attention to that...makes sense! Are you still doing MW and then eat normal dinner on Friday (vs. 500 cal dinner)?

Yeah, or just a well-rounded dinner in general.

What is MW? Yes, I ate normally Friday night vs. 500, which is something I will try again. It will still attribute to a calorie deficit even if it's not a 500 cal fast (which will help offset some of my bad weekend habits lol). However, not sure what I'm doing this week. Probably just a usual 5:2 since we leave for a camping trip Thursday night.

Looks like I'm going back to counting calories on regular days again. Scale hasn't been too kind so I need to keep myself in check!

wvuchick
05-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I had a total loss of 4 lbs last week and I am ecstatic. I just hope it continues. I am going on a mini vacay next week, I will probably not stick to my eating window so I hope I don't do too much damage. :shrug:

I also was able to stick to my window this weekend, which is hard for me on the weekends.

Have a great day everyone.

Yogini99
05-05-2014, 02:28 PM
WVUchick- great news!
NoName- MW...monday/wednesday..hahaha. Usually I am the one who can't figure out everyone's acronyms. I agree, even if you don't stick to 500 on Fridays, you are still going to have a deficit. I usually don't watch things carefully on the weekend either. I may try that too- good idea!

nonameslob
05-05-2014, 10:33 PM
wvuchick Four pounds is awesome!

Okay guys, I am feeling back on track. I actually counted calories today, a fast day. Yeah I had been slacking and just winged it on fast days. In hindsight I had definitely been eating over 500! I had chicken with asparagus, shallots, zucchini noodles, feta cheese and seasonings. Yum! I think I will have the same on Wednesday. :) Combine that with a great workout and I'm feeling much more optimistic today.

Yogini99
05-06-2014, 12:58 AM
Good for you no name!
Why does slacking never work? hahaha- bummer

nonameslob
05-06-2014, 09:56 AM
LOL Right? It starts with good intentions but eventually it's just a downward spiral! Also counting this week on non-fast days.

Did you fast yesterday Yogini? If so how'd it go?

wvuchick
05-06-2014, 10:38 AM
noname - I have to count or I go mad. I'm ocd a bit too, so that could be why. I'm glad your back on track.

Yogini - Slacking never works for me either. Can't imagine why! ;)

I couldn't sleep half the night, so I am so hungry today. I'll be seriously chugging the water today til I get home from work. Without Fast 5 I'd probably be sneaking off to the vending machine for a candy bar or two today in my weakness (I don't function to well on little sleep). However, I know that I just can't have anything til I get home. That for me is the beauty of fasting.

Have a great Tuesday all!

ShaMac
05-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Noname good idea on counting. I always end up overeating on non fast days.

Wuvchick congrats on your loss that's a lot for one week!

Yogini99
05-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi All-
No Name- I started out intending to fast yesterday but made it til about two pm and just decided to eat something. I didn't go crazy, but did NOT fast! I think I was extra hungry from two hard bike rides on the weekend...I don't know..but that's my excuse anyway!
Today I am counting cals, and will need to do that to stay accountable and not snack myself into calorie excess!! I work from home, so it can be a challenge to stay out of the kitchen - esp when bored or stressed!

nonameslob
05-07-2014, 10:16 AM
I guess overeating on feast days isn't my problem - during the week at least! I only logged about 1400 calories yesterday, and I ate VERY well. I know my biggest issue is on the weekends, but at least this will keep me in check for now. Fasting today, then tomorrow after work we leave for our minivacation.

Trying to figure out what to bring to drink. Beer always seems to make me gain when I have more than a couple, I don't drink liquor straight (and I don't drink diet sodas, so I'd have to use regular soda/juice as a mixer). I guess wine it is! lol

Hope everyone's week is going well!

wvuchick
05-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Can't help you on what to drink noname. I only drink twice a year and then I don't count calories ;) I'm going on a mini vacay too, Mine will start after work Monday. Hoping I don't do too much damage.

I got my new scale opened and set up last night and the daggone thing had me one lb heavier. :cry: I'm not going to bother adjusting my ticker. But let me tell ya the body fat percentage was scary!!!! Hopefully this fasting will help cut it down quickly.

Have a great hump day everyone.

Yogini99
05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Have a great minivacation girls :) !I'm going to Mexico next week for a week. Also hoping I don't gain - I plan to just try to at least skip breakfast and maybe lunch most days and then eat a yummy dinner. Mostly I will be sitting around the pool and swimming but I always take about an hour or more beach walk daily and this time I am actually going to go to the gym a few times too.

ShaMac
05-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Good morning all. I'm so jealous of all you guys vacations. I hope you all do very well with you eating and have much fun!

I have one more fast day to do this week. I'm excited about that because it has been hard for me doing 4:3. Next week I will be going to 5:2. I feel I had better take it down a little so that I don't derail all together. Again ladies good luck on vacay and have enough fun for me!

Yogini99
05-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Ya know, work has been slow. Then as soon as I plan a vacation, it goes crazy and now I will have to dump all this in someone's lap while I am gone! Grrrrr
At least when I am this busy, I don't want to snack :)

wvuchick
05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks Yogini and ShaMac. The hubby and I are going to be in DC for a few days. We used to live there, so we always want to hit our favorite food joints. I'll probably have breakfast each day then not eat again until dinner. I think we will probably be walking around enough that I should be ok.

I'm trying to get my work tied up too, but I have to wait on others to finish my work and right now it's not looking good.

I commend those ofyou doing 5:2 or 4:3. I don't think I could do it. I get through the day knowing I can eat a big meal later.

nonameslob
05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Yogini99 Oh, I feel you! I have so much to get done today before being off tomorrow (so why am I here slacking?) lol

wvuchick Have fun! Oh man...DC has some amazing food. Are the cherry trees still blossoming? Hope the weather holds out for you. We'll be a couple hours southwest of there, and looks like lots of thunderstorms. Ugh.

My fridge is stocked for camping...way too much good food. Hopefully I can restrain myself a bit! But the good news is the scales were finally kind to me and I saw a loss this morning. Both my fasts went really well this week (I hardly ate anything last night, I was stuffed from just a few bites of chicken). I just need to get through the weekend without un-doing my hard work, and it looks like I need to do a back-to-back fast Monday and Tuesday next week. Yuck.

wvuchick
05-08-2014, 11:16 AM
noname - Yes right now the rain looks awful. We try to go to Police Week (hubby is a PO) every year and I swear it rains almost every year. I'm hoping the forecast changes otherwise I'll be packing the rain gear. :( I don't think the trees will still have their blossoms. It is so beautiful there when it is. You're right about the food. The only thing we miss about DC is the food, so many choices and always good! Also congrats on your loss!!!!!! Onederland is just around the corner! :bravo:

Have fun on your camping trip, sounds like fun!

I had a .4 lb gain this morning, but thanks to my new scale I saw that my water % went up. It's this heat, I retain water horribly when it's hot.

Yogini99
05-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Girls- have an awesome time! Don't let the rain stop you :)
WVU- what all does your scale give you? Water percentage?? Is it accurate? That's amazing.
My scale finally moved today-hallelujah. I just had to do a business lunch- Thai food- what is healthy in a Thai restaurant??
I got ginger chicken, brown rice. Yum. Didn't eat all the rice.

wvuchick
05-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Yogini - Yes it measures weight, body fat %, total body water, muscle mass, and bone mass. I don't know how accurate it is, but I can step on it several times in a row and get the same numbers. So that has to be a good sign, right? :)

Yogini99
05-08-2014, 06:46 PM
cool!! that is a good sign!!
What is the brand?

wvuchick
05-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Yogini: I got it on amazon. It got pretty good reviews and was a good price so that's why I went with it. It's called Epica Precision Pro Digital Body Fat Scale 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology. Long enough name? :D

So far I really like it. It showed my losing 0.1% bf this morning, which doesn't sound like much, but at my weight I'm guessing it is 1-2 lbs of fat, so I'll take it!!! :carrot:

ShaMac
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I finally weighed this morning. I'm not very happy with what I saw, 149.4, and wished I had waited another week. I don't know how much I started at because I refused to get on the scale until I started seeing some improvements.

I also messed up yesterday on my 500 cal day. And with this being the weekend it's probably only gonna get worse. Oh well, I'm really happy it's Friday and looking forward to the time off. I hope you all have a great weekend!

Yogini99
05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Thanks WVU! I think that scale sounds great despite the insanely long name..hahaha!
ShaMac- the important thing is that you got on the scale- no hiding from weight! Once you know the truth, it's easier to do something about it right? I tend to not weigh myself when I know I have gained,and by avoiding it, it just makes it worse. But it's a fine balance so you don't get discouraged. I get that! Messing up on your fast day happens...you probably just broke even calorie wise. Just move on from it...i messed up on Monday for my fast day and still lost weight a couple days later :)
Happy Friday everyone!!

wvuchick
05-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Yogini - I thought you were doing Fast 5??? Maybe my husband is right and I am crazy. LOL

ShaMac - Don't let yourself get discouraged. There will be ups and downs on this journey, as long as you keep moving in the right direction in the long term that's what really matters.

Yogini99
05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
WVU- I switch it up. I try to do 500 cal fast on Mon Th and then eating window the other days. As I am able.....hahaha

ShaMac
05-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you ladies for the encouraging words, I really needed that!

nonameslob
05-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Back from our weekend away. There was plenty of rain, but plenty of sun too :) Did a bit over 10 miles of hiking over the whole weekend, but ate and drank my fair share :P Actually, ate a lot less than I expected. My boyfriend and I both were like, what is going on? Why are we full? We usually gorge a good bit on these trips, but I think I ate reasonably.

I'm going to attempt a back-to-back 500 cal. fast this week, today and tomorrow. My schedule is so wacky this week. But if that fails, I can try again Friday. Hoping to see Onederland this week :)

How was everyone else's weekends?

wvuchick
05-12-2014, 10:03 AM
noname - Glad you had a good trip. I'm leaving today on mine after work. I hope I do as well as you did. Good luck on getting to Onederland!

My weekend was ok. Took my mom to dinner on Saturday then spent the bulk of yesterday packing for our trip. Was able to fast the full 19 hours both days. Had a small gain, more than likely water, since I didn't drink as much water as I should have. Is it sad that I actually thought about packing up my scale? I think I might go through withdrawals! :D

Have a great Monday everyone!

ShaMac
05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Noname, sounds like you had a really fun, active weekend. Great job on not gorging and good luck for those back to back fast days!

Wvuchick, that's great that you do 19 hour fast on the weekends also, I can't remember the last time I was so discipline on the weekends. About your scale, hopefully you will be having so much fun you won't even miss it.

My weekend was ok, I really needed the time to readjust and reset my mind frame. I did somewhat adhere to my window on Saturday and just focused on not binging on Sunday and today I am ready for my 500 cal day. Good luck to us this week!

nonameslob
05-13-2014, 09:26 AM
wvuchick Have a great trip! Hope you left the scale behind :P

ShaMac How is that going, the combo of 5:2 and eating window? That sounds way too tough to me. I look forward to having breakfast a few times a week :)

Today is day 2 of my back-to-back 500 cal fast. Monday was a breeze, as usual. Today should be interesting...

Wannabehealthy
05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I mainly do IE because I really need to work on 1)eating when I'm actually hungry and 2) not stuffing myself. But sometimes I will have a very satisfying late lunch, maybe around 2 PM and I really don't feel like eating the rest of the day. So in a way, I'm doing IF on that particular day. I find that when I do that, my fasting blood glucose is really good the next morning!

nonameslob
05-13-2014, 10:13 AM
That's awesome Wannabehealthy! Are you diabetic? I've read a lot of people who are pre-diabetic have gotten rid of all of their symptoms with different forms of IF. It's quite amazing. It would be wonderful if there was medical research to support it so it could be recommended more often by doctors instead of medication.

yoyoma
05-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Wannabehealthy, I tried IE, but it didn't work well for me. I now take what seems to me to be almost the opposite approach of a daily eating window, in large part because I want to keep it as simple as possible for me. I don't want to have to think about how hungry I am and the trade-offs in the calories/satisfaction of the different food options available to me all day.

My eating window has been working well for me. I am glad the IE/IF hybrid is working for you!