Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat November 4 - November 10

BillBlueEyes
11-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Wake up everybody! My brain woke up because it's morning despite this foolish Daylight Savings Time stuff.
fighting a cold I need to shake before my vacation.Hope it subsides quickly. I've been trying to pretend that mine is gone. It has that feeling of lingering until spring.

The time has come to consider that someone else has absconded with my new Ford plug-in vehicle despite that I hold the winning ticked. My concession was to invest in a full tank of gas for the old Toyota. The Tesla has more appeal anyway, so I'll just wait.

Mudpie
11-04-2013, 05:35 AM
The cats and I never fully adjust to the time change - means I'm ready for bed by 9 p.m. most nights and they are ready for brekkie @ 4 a.m. :tired:

Bill You were robbed :p re the Ford plug-in! Yep, the Tesla's a nice car!

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2013/02/05/21/29/2013_tesla_model_s_performance-pic-3737760223783745344.jpeg

I am sitting in a house that is almost box free :lol: on the two upper floors. DH is doing a great job in the basement too. We are about a week away from full function.

And DH fully agreed that I have to work out in the living room - my office is just too small for business stuff and a gym. I can actually stash the balance ball and weights fairly unobtrusively in the living room corner - the full length mirror to check my form will be a bit of a challenge but I'll figure it out.

Looking forward to doing this :strong: next Sunday!

Dagmar :dance:

Dagmar

JayEll
11-04-2013, 06:48 AM
What a drag, Bill. How could they allow that?

Dagmar, I think you get the prize for fastest move-in and setup. Last time we moved, we had boxes a year later that weren't unpacked. They had kind of become part of the furnishings--end table, etc.

I have discovered the hard way that I've become allergic/sensitive to quinoa. It does happen to people, especially if the quinoa is not rinsed properly out of the package--but sometimes even if it is. And once a person starts to react, the reaction doesn't go away.

I liked rice better anyway.

paperclippy
11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Daylight savings time? Means absolutely nothing to babies! :lol: They went to sleep at 6pm last night, and were up for the day shortly after 5am this morning.

Bill, LOL, if you get a Tesla let us know. ;)

Dagmar, congrats on your move! Sounds like you are getting all settled in nicely.

Jay, that sucks about the quinoa. :( There are many other grains out there though! I'm partial to kasha myself.

From last week's thread:
Joy, welcome!
Megan, hope things settle down soon and you can relax some.

After another disastrous weekend with no sleep and lots of screaming, my mom arrived yesterday afternoon to stay with us and we met with a night nanny service and scheduled them for next Sunday. Of course since we did those two things, the girls slept a bit better last night. :shrug: We backed off on the solids and rice in their milk because they're getting constipated and uncomfortable because of it.

A friend told me the real culprit of her twins having the same type of issues as mine was an upper lip tie (similar idea to tongue tie), which makes them have a poor seal for suction when eating and swallow a whole lot of air. We will see about getting them evaluated for lip tie soon, not sure if I want to call the doctor today or wait until Thursday when they've been on prevacid for a week since we were going to call then anyway. They certainly don't have a good latch nursing, and even on the bottle half the time their upper lip is turned under instead of flared out, and they make a very distinct clicking sound when eating. If that turns out to be the answer I will be simultaneously very happy (because it is a pretty easy procedure to fix) and very angry (because why didn't they discover that months ago?).

Megan1982
11-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Morning all,

I slept my extra hour away and it was glorious. My body has decided I should just stick my head under the covers and ignore glaring tasks and responsibilities. Neither of us wanted to go to the concert, so BF and I went to bed at 9:30 Saturday night. We commented on what party animals we are as we laid there, bass booming over the water from the concert about 8 miles away. Getting enough sleep has calmed my brain a little bit. The dog also got 2 long walks that calmed her a little bit, too. The parade was a lot of fun! Our members showed up in a great array of costumes for our theatre float and the crowds seemed to like us. I got through my tableing duties on Saturday. We sold a few tickets and mugs at our table and handed out a bunch of season schedules. Hopefully it will result in audience members.

JayEll, oh, no. Not quinoa. I mean, you're right. Rice is much better. So is couscous.

Bill, your weekend sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you made it home, lol. Sorry someone stole your new car! Those jerks. ;)

Dagmar, sounds like you're settling in nicely. Welcome home!

Chris, your family's celebration sounds gross. I do like all of those foods, and try to only have them occasionally in reasonable portions. With salad. Sometimes gifts say a lot more about the giver than the receiver.

Jessica, I hope your mom and the night nanny are able to help out so everyone can get more rest. At least the girls slept better last night. Isn't that always how it works?

Have a good day everyone. :)

saef
11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I actually enjoyed driving to work this morning in the sunlight, past the scarlet and orange and lemon-yellow maples, which turn color more slowly down here than they do in Upstate NY, where I grew up.

I'm trying so hard to be in the moment, rather than fretting over my to-do list. This weekend, I was mostly house-bound, working on documents for my job which the person who left my department back in August would have normally handled. But I'm in the process of training a replacement, so I'm telling myself that what is, in effect, an extra job on top of my managerial duties will not be the state of things forever & ever, that it's just a hard time to get through.

You'd think all my time the gym and lately outside running would teach me that stress, discomfort and physically trying moments only last for a certain fixed period of time, and aren't like burning in an eternal flame of damnation.

Does November look really short to you all, as it does to me? I feel like I'm nearly already at Thanksgiving, and the month has just begun.

traveling michele
11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I also react weirdly to quinoa. I haven't had any in a long time and I have it in my salad today so I'll see what happens.

I was deluding myself about my "allergies". I have a stupid cold.

I kept busy all weekend and now I'm flinging myself into this week realizing that I leave to see dd in Arizona Friday night after work.

She called me (dd) yesterday to tell me her very close friend was hit by a drunk driver Saturday night. He was driving 75 the wrong way on the freeway. Both cars caught on fire. They both survived and it is a miracle she wasn't more badly injured. She had surgery for a broken wrist and her leg is badly bruised/sprained but she was already released from the hospital. She is planning on getting married in Utah in December (and dd is going to the wedding) so hopefully they don't have to postpone the wedding. I was very grateful my dd wasn't in the car.

silverbirch
11-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Good gracious, Michele, how absolutely dreadful.

JayEll and Michele, what symptoms do you have with quinoa? I hardly ever eat it but I'd like to know for information, especially as I seem to be in a sensitised state at present.

A lot of kasha (buckwheat) is eaten here in the Russian wing of Birch Castle. I don't have it much as the smell of it cooking rings allergy alarm bells for me. (Actually most grains do that - hmm, that's interesting.) I did have a bite of a Breton buckwheat pancake (galette) with salted butter in France. There are many Russian proverbs about kasha including my favourite, 'You can't spoil kasha with butter'. Trsl: eat it with lots and lots. No comment.

JayEll
11-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Silverbirch, the symptoms can vary widely, I have read. For me, it begins with a queasy feeling about an hour after eating. The nausea gets worse as time goes on, culminating in throwing up. This is followed later by a really bad headache. It's the basic "food poisoning" scenario, except that three people other than I ate the same thing, and none of them became ill.

So I can add quinoa to my list of foods never to eat. It can keep the clams and oysters company.

Just as a point of interest, quinoa is technically not a "grain" because it's not in the grass family. The same it true of buckwheat.

Jay

alinnell
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Good morning!

Late start for me today due to multiple work-related issues. I've been pouring over our bank account and accounting system trying to find my bookkeeper's mistake (she was off around $491 and I found all but $30 of it). Then entering invoices and checking vendor statements and I had to call one vendor as the statement was way off. Finally figured that one out. And in the midst of it the people next door brought over a feral cat they caught using my trap so I had to call to inquire about getting it fixed tomorrow and to see if I could feed it. Appointment for tomorrow morning and food until 11 PM tonight is fine.

Bill~my next car will be a Tesla. I'm in love with it. We have a few around town and I just swoon when I see one.

Jessica~I've never heard of tie lip. Hopefully the constipation goes away and the nanny will be helpful.

Yes, saef, I enjoyed driving to work in the light as well. It was also much easier cleaning up the back yard in anticipation of our gardener coming today (usually I have to hunt poop with a flashlight). DH picks up on the weekends, but Monday morning it has to be addressed by me.

Jay~I get a reaction to quinoa as well (as does DS). We both get crampy and diarrhea. If I have small amounts of it there is no problem but I cannot eat a pile of it like you would rice.

Michele~that's sad about the car accident. Also sorry you have a cold. Hope you feel better for your trip.

Dagmar~try to remember where you put everything when you put it away! That is my biggest problem. I unpack a box, put it all away, then another and another and then when I need something in particular, I can't remember which cupboard I put it away in. This mostly occurs in the kitchen.

Everyone else~Hi! Gotta get back to work now.

ICUwishing
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
saef, oh yeah, November looks short! :eek: I've already had one episode of calendar-induced almost-hyperventilation. Yippee. Christmas. :dz: :barf: Some year, I am going to make good on my threat to leave the country for all of December. It'd be better for everyone involved. Agree with you, it was much better seeing the tree colors in the early morning light on the way to work!

justjaynee
11-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone-new to the forums and I'm in maintenance, though I'm having some technical difficulties with it, which is why I'm here.

I called goal this spring (did a form of IF for weight loss), and then continued to lose weight (stopped tracking, began eating intuitively, started walking/running and then also transitioned to a mostly whole foods, plant based diet during this time). Fast forward to now and I've lost over 16lbs more than my goal weight and now am within a few pounds of having an underweight bmi :dizzy: These past few months have been crazy to say the least! Trying to figure out maintenance has been much more difficult for me, than the weight loss part ever was.

I've realized I do still need to track somehow, but since I loathe counting calories/macros I'm trying something new and doing WW points. Today's my first day trying it, as well as my first day here :) Glad to see there's other maintainers here!

Shannon in ATL
11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Michele - that is a scary story. I'm glad DD wasn't in the car and hope her friend is okay. That kind of accident has happened way too many times down here lately.

Jay - I've known another person with that same quinoa allergy, who kept saying it couldn't be the quinoa and kept eating it and eliminating the things around it. You are right to just cut it out quickly - she was miserable for a long time trying to find another cause. I've seen quinoa called a seed before?

Birchie - I've heard the name kasha, but had no idea what it was. What kind of side effects do you get from grains?

Saef - November seems short to me as well. Realistically, I know that Thanksgiving is the last week this year, so it is further away than it seems. It just seems so close. I blame part of that on Christmas decorations already being out for weeks.

Megan - DH and I had a similar discussion last night when we decided we did not want to go to a movie at 9:30, but instead sat around the house and drank scotch and watched football.

Jessica - the upper lip sounds like a real cause for the problems you are having. Too much air makes everything really bad bad bad. Is the prevacid helping any at all?

Dagmar! I've been in my house six years and still have two yet to be unpacked boxes. You are awesome! :)

Bill - I kind of covet a Tesla. Seriously.

I've now booked a whole slew of tours for NOLA next week. Trying to balance overbooking, underbooking and just wandering. We haven't had a vacation in two years, and not one where we go somewhere with stuff to do in longer still. I'm excited. The weather right now looks like it will be glorious. Hoping that doesn't change.

alinnell
11-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Welcome Justjaynee!

Shannon in ATL
11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Missed a few while I was posting!

Allison - I hate having to go back and try to find things in accounting systems, that is annoying.

Welcome Jaynee!

justjaynee
11-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the welcomes :)

silverbirch
11-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Silverbirch, the symptoms can vary widely, I have read. For me, it begins with a queasy feeling about an hour after eating. The nausea gets worse as time goes on, culminating in throwing up. This is followed later by a really bad headache. It's the basic "food poisoning" scenario, except that three people other than I ate the same thing, and none of them became ill.

So I can add quinoa to my list of foods never to eat. It can keep the clams and oysters company.

Just as a point of interest, quinoa is technically not a "grain" because it's not in the grass family. The same it true of buckwheat.

Jay

Jay, that's quite horrible. Bye-bye, quinoa. You're just not worth it. Yes, I do know that about quinoa and buckwheat. Just using common parlance. I like to think I can see the similarity between buckwheat and my rhubarb when it runs to seed but I haven't had time to put it under the microscope. Must do that.

Shannon, my breathing is affected as they're cooking. I get the post-nasal drip, I start to cough and things go horrible. With other things (alcohol, seafood etc) I also go bright red and sometimes have an itchy rash. I am a very sensitive flower. It's total fun, I tell you.

Hello, Jaynee. I'm glad you've joined us.

traveling michele
11-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Welcome Jaynee!

Shannon-- I'm jealous of your trip! You will have a blast.

Quinoa doesn't produce that bad of symptoms in me-- just a headache and some water retention. But I just had a small amount in my salad so I'm hoping I'm okay.

Dagmar-- you're a rockstar with unpacking! I won't mention how many boxes are in my garage nor how long I've been in my house!

traveling michele
11-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Birch-- I do the same with alcohol-- red face, heart pounding, headache.... as a result I don't drink anymore at all. It used to not affect me at all.

Shannon in ATL
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
My neighbor has those red faced,sweaty symptoms with wine. Not me so far, thank goodness.

silverbirch
11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
I haven't drunk alcohol for years. Like you, Michele, it didn't use to affect me. I remember my dad made wine for a few years (apple, mainly, because we had an orchard, and elderflower) but he gave it up when he realised it made him feel ill. It was quite good wine but not for him.

JayEll
11-04-2013, 05:09 PM
michele, with the quinoa, it was just some sprinkled in a salad. The first time was bad enough--but I wasn't sure yet. The second time I ate far less before I realized things weren't sitting well, but the reaction was just as bad. If I really liked the flavor it would be one thing, but I have no problem saying goodbye to it.

Mudpie
11-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Allison Remember where I put everything? :rofl:

Jaynee :wave:

I have to now unpack "the final frontier" - the dining room. I've been chucking everything in "mixed" (OMG this has to go in a box - it's almost midnight) boxes in there and now it's time to get it out. I have a beautiful teak table hiding under a dropcloth. I'd like to eat a meal without looking at a box or at the dropcloth.

Dagmar :tired: but :cool:

gardenerjoy
11-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks, ICUWishing, for guiding me to the current thread!

Welcome, justjaynee! I'm new to the maintainers, too, but I've been on 3FC for a long time -- key to my success!

I'll join the crowd that feels like November is too short even though it's just started. Working on tackling the to do list so I hope to feel better about this by the end of the day.

Shannon in ATL
11-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I am T-10 to vacation. Might be some big changes going on when I get back, so I am seriously ready for some time off.

traveling michele
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Today I'm working on being kind to myself. I can be kind to others-- why is it so hard to be kind to myself?

I'm frustrated that I've been battling my weight creep all year with no results. I had somewhat easily maintained my weight of 118-120 for a couple of years after my weight loss. Now I'm sitting at 130 (and have been all year) and constantly battling to stay under that. I went into my break room and there is delicious homemade (I assume it's delicious) banana or zucchini bread calling me. Everyone that walks by takes a piece-- thin, heavy, whatever... I start to hate those people as I know I will never take a piece. Yet, here I sit.... unhappy with my weight and almost never indulging off plan. I was thinking about this the past couple of days while working out and I decided to be kind to myself. If I'm doing the best I can on any particular day, that is all I do.

My work day is also turning out different than planned. I had been told my library would be a polling place for voters so I cancelled my classes and planned a full day's work. The voters didn't show-- looks like they switched the polling place without telling us-- so I'm trying to reschedule my classes and re shift my thinking simultaneously.

alinnell
11-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Busy day so far for me.

This morning I took a feral cat to be spayed/neutered and will have to pick it up this afternoon. It's an hour trip each time. Found out the kitten we saw and was caught by the business next door has found a home. We still have to try and catch it's mom, but if this is a tom cat we caught yesterday morning, it will help in the fight.

Michele~I hear you! I struggle as well.

Oh, and I had a horrible night's sleep last night. Louie--all 10 pounds of him--lay stretched out along my legs and just that made me too hot to sleep well. I tossed and turned (as much as one can with a cat impeding the way) from 1 AM until 4 AM when Louie decided to vacate the bed (he's still on daylight saving time). I finally fell back to sleep once I had cooled off and then had a horrific dream. Well, not horrific, but as bad as it can be when you dream you are lost.

justjaynee
11-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Today I'm working on being kind to myself. I can be kind to others-- why is it so hard to be kind to myself?

I'm frustrated that I've been battling my weight creep all year with no results. I had somewhat easily maintained my weight of 118-120 for a couple of years after my weight loss. Now I'm sitting at 130 (and have been all year) and constantly battling to stay under that. I went into my break room and there is delicious homemade (I assume it's delicious) banana or zucchini bread calling me. Everyone that walks by takes a piece-- thin, heavy, whatever... I start to hate those people as I know I will never take a piece. Yet, here I sit.... unhappy with my weight and almost never indulging off plan. I was thinking about this the past couple of days while working out and I decided to be kind to myself. If I'm doing the best I can on any particular day, that is all I do.

My work day is also turning out different than planned. I had been told my library would be a polling place for voters so I cancelled my classes and planned a full day's work. The voters didn't show-- looks like they switched the polling place without telling us-- so I'm trying to reschedule my classes and re shift my thinking simultaneously.

I've only been maintaining for a few months, but it IS hard :hug:

Mudpie
11-06-2013, 05:20 AM

I'm frustrated that I've been battling my weight creep all year with no results. I had somewhat easily maintained my weight of 118-120 for a couple of years after my weight loss. Now I'm sitting at 130 (and have been all year) and constantly battling to stay under that. I was thinking about this the past couple of days while working out and I decided to be kind to myself. If I'm doing the best I can on any particular day, that is all I do.

Michele I went through this same experience in 2007. Lost 20 lbs. and kept it off for 2 years and then put 4 lbs. back. I too was very frustrated and unhappy but I gradually accepted that this was what my body wanted. Battling every single day to lose 4 vanity lbs. was just not worth the effort - I didn't have the energy for it any more.

I like that you're calling it "being kind to myself". That's a much more positive spin than acceptance or resignation.

Dagmar :cool:

Mudpie
11-06-2013, 05:22 AM
I now have a dining room table. And the final set of curtains went up last night.

Now to tackle this daylight savings wake up time of 3:40 a.m. ::tired: and subsequent 8 p.m. :o bedtime.

Dagmar :D

paperclippy
11-06-2013, 07:10 AM
LOL Dagmar, I'm with you except I'm going to bed at 7:30 and getting up at 5, with 3+ wakings in between to deal with babies. Daylight savings time means nothing to them! This morning after getting them back to bed from their 4am feeding, I woke up at 5:15 to A's high-pitched squealing. Went into the nursery, and she was laying there with a huge smile on her face, screeching and squealing as loudly as possible. Better than waking up to crying! On the plus side I'm getting in to work by 7am which means I get to leave at 4.

Michele, do you keep a food diary? I had a time when I had gained about 15lbs back, and I thought I was keeping to plan, but when I logged my food I discovered I was actually eating way more than I thought I was. Mostly because I was eyeballing portions and the portions had been gradually creeping larger and larger. Not that I'm one to talk right now as I sit here 30lbs above my goal weight. :p

Having my mom here has been such a big help that I'm almost afraid to let her leave! :lol: Thanks guys for encouraging me to accept her offer.

We bought booster chairs the other day -- like high chairs except you just strap them on to your regular dining chairs. I can't imagine why anyone would spend $200 on a high chair when you can get a booster seat for $20! :lol: It's a single piece of molded plastic so no nooks and crannies to clean up. We tried putting the girls in them yesterday and they seemed to like it -- grabbed their teething rings, banged them on the tray to make a loud noise, then threw the rings on the floor over and over and over. They seemed to be enjoying it.

justjaynee
11-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Have any other maintainers had trouble getting their weight to stabilize in the months transitioning into maintenance? I am really struggling, and hit another new low today (by a whole pound ouch!). My bmi is now 19.0, which is getting uncomfortably close to the underweight range.

I started walking (and now some running and strength training exercises) after I started transitioning, so I think that's part of the my issue. I also totally changed up my diet and now eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet. I'm eating up to 40 grams of fiber a day with veggies, whole grains etc, and that makes me feel fuller, on less calories. So I got the idea to start tracking WW points, to make sure I'm eating enough (I HATE counting calories but points are simple), and darn it, after two days of doing that I've lost that pound :dizzy:

Since calling goal this past spring I've been all over the place-

tried eating intuitively-lost weight
tried a non-calorie restricted version of IF -lost weight (did a calorie restricted IF plan as my weight loss plan)
tried primal/paleo-lost weight
tried counting calories/macros-lost weight
now eating a mostly whole foods, plant based diet (for health reasons), and continue to lose weight, even paired with WW points/higher points at that!

:fr:

Megan1982
11-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Morning all,

I took the day off yesterday to work on my set with my stage manager and set designer. We painted our base coat on all the walls. This is supposed to be an old, decrepit Victorian mansion and I got it in my head I wanted stripes on the walls to look sort of like wallpaper. I'm painting flat sage green 1' wide stripes with 1' wide glossy stripes a shade darker. We have a joke that our set walls are always "masking tape colored" because it's easy to touch up when you tape the seams between the panels with - you guessed it - masking tape, to make your walls look like one continuous wall. I hate masking tape color walls! The sage green should match the deep red Victorian sofa and goldish yellow chairs and curtains. What do you think, Saef, sort of Victorian? This is certainly the most thought and effort I've put into a set, because I think this set really contributes to the mood of this show.

Justjaynee, have you had a physical recently and/or had your hormone and thyroid levels checked? It sounds like your more recent dietary & exercise changes could be the cause of your continuing to lose, but it's always good to make sure you're everything's alright medically. Several maintainers here were diagnosed with thyroid problems after their losses. I might also suggest trying to eat nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, a little extra olive oil on your salads, etc. to add more calories and healthy fats to your diet to get more calories in. How many WW points are you eating a day? How far/long are you exercising for?

Michele, add me to the list of maintainers who maintained without too much trouble for about 2 years and then my weight also started to creep up. It felt like a desperate losing battle for about 5 years until this year, when I've finally started to make some headway over here without having to kill myself in the process. I did have to evaluate whether I was really eating what I thought I was/how many treats and meals out I was really having, and that was part of why I gained weight. I truly believe a big component for me was hormones - I'm not sure if they contributed to my gain, but at this point I really believe they made it a heckuva lot harder to lose weight. I finally got off hormonal BC and dropped 5 lbs over the next 4 months, and have lost a few more lbs since then. When was your last physical? How is your thyroid and hormones? When was the last time you tracked your calories over a month or so? From your descriptions it seems you eat very differently when your DH is home versus away.

One of my goals this year was to be kinder to myself, and to try to accept myself and love myself no matter what weight - because after so many years of trying to lose this 18 lb regain, I decided it might not go anywhere, and I can't go through life feeling worthless because of 20 lbs. And I disagree with Dagmar's use of the term resignation because it has such a negative connotation. If you "resign" yourself to your current weight, you're never going to feel good about it. I feel I've made some progress, though I can't tell you how exactly I did it. Even if it makes me feel like a crazy person, I talk to myself. When I have a mean thought about myself, I literally started stopping and made me give myself a compliment about something - anything. And I've started saying those things to those around me, too. I certainly still have negative thoughts but perhaps they are less frequent and I'm less bothered by them. I've spent a lot less time tracking, obsessing, and my exercise regime has changed. It makes me less crazy. :dizzy: It seems really ironic to me that I've finally started to lose again when I've tracked less, exercised less, though perhaps finally dare I say it gotten better at eating intuitively.

I will say I was terrified to finally admit I wasn't going to track - terrified to give up my gym membership, even if I didn't get there very often - terrified I would gain. There is fear in giving up habits I've kept for so long. But they clearly weren't working.

I'm posting this to see if any bit of my experience could help you, not because I like to hear myself talk. ;)

And also :hug:s. Because I have been there and felt that frustration, and really felt like there was no light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I've posted enough for this morning. Have a good Wednesday all. (Everyone in my office has latched onto the "hump daaaaaay!" commercial and someone says it every Wednesday now.) :)

gardenerjoy
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Happy Wednesday, everyone! I love how much I'm learning about maintenance by reading your posts this morning. Maintenance for me has been going up 5 or 10 pounds every few months and then clawing my way back down. I'm hoping to find a path that's more even, that keeps me in my declared maintenance range of 165-170 pounds. We'll see.

CherryPie99
11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi all!

I had the last 2 days off work and spent a long time trying frantically to cross items off my "to do" list.

I was contacted last week by a guy who is trying to start up his own internet based business involving physical fitness and weight loss. He asked to interview me for a podcast he is doing on success stories. He told me the interview would take about 30 minutes and we ended up talking for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. He hopes to have the interview posted next week.

I am trying to come to my "happy place" with my weight - and on some days I can almost get there.

I happened to run across this yesterday - it was taken in November of 2009 when my boy Chakotay was just a pup

http://i42.tinypic.com/2agsz1z.jpg

And then this is us from Monday.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2d8j2v9.jpg

Putting that in perspective - am I really freaking out over 3-4 pounds?

Jen

justjaynee
11-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Morning all,

Justjaynee, have you had a physical recently and/or had your hormone and thyroid levels checked? It sounds like your more recent dietary & exercise changes could be the cause of your continuing to lose, but it's always good to make sure you're everything's alright medically. Several maintainers here were diagnosed with thyroid problems after their losses. I might also suggest trying to eat nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, a little extra olive oil on your salads, etc. to add more calories and healthy fats to your diet to get more calories in. How many WW points are you eating a day? How far/long are you exercising for?

I had a physical this spring, as I was winding down on weight loss (my dr. weigh in was 141lbs and I called goal at 135lbs). Everything looked good at that time. I have no idea what a thyroid does, will do some googling! As far as food goes, that's what's messing me up, because I am eating higher fat, nutrient dense foods. For example, here's what I ate yesterday-

-large sweet potato, sliced and baked with canola oil and cinnamon sugar
-large, dinner plate sized salad with lettuce, bell peppers, black olives, a whole roma tomato, mushrooms, ground flax seed, hemp seeds, 2 servings of refried black beans (1 cup), full fat regular ranch dressing, hot sauce, croutons and onion crunchies (and I use a lot of croutons and onion crunchies lol).
-green smoothie with kale, swiss chard, turnip and mustard greens, spinach, a kiwi, a banana and blueberries. Plus water/ice (fills a large canning jar)
-serving of oatmeal with 1/8 cup sunflower seeds and then a serving of homemade apple blueberry crisp mixed in (which has around 250 calories, per the recipe).

I ate a lot of food yesterday! Points wise, it worked out to be around 39pts. Exercise yesterday was 2 miles of walking/running, with 60 modified pushups mixed in (used the top rail of trail fence posts for hands, with body at a slant). On Monday I used 47 WW points and did no exercise :?:

I think I'm going to up my Points to 45 (approximately 1,800 calories), plus not count the points in veggies/fruit and see if that works better. That would be around 2,000 calories, give or take a few. If I still keep losing on that, then I think I will make an appointment with my doctor.

justjaynee
11-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Jen- those are awesome before/after pictures!

traveling michele
11-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Justjaynee-- I think that sounds like a good plan for you. I lost my weight on WW and I do still track (sometimes-- I've been tracking lately because of my weight creep). I'm trying to eat 26 points and I'm even below that most days (though I'm not counting my fruits or veggies and I eat a lot of both).

Thanks all for your thoughts.
I did just have my thyroid and hormone levels checked as I have thyroid issues. They are all in check for now.

I am keeping a food log with WW points. At some point, I may go to tracking calories to be more precise but I don't want to take the time at the moment for that.

I'm going to visit dd in Arizona this weekend and I'm kinda freaking out because I know my food will be way off plan and I likely won't get any real exercise in. Saturday we are going on a 90 minute horseback ride in the desert so that counts, but Friday and Sunday won't have any planned exercise. I fly back Monday so hopefully I can hit the gym or yoga. I'm kinda afraid of horses even though I love animals and was a vet tech. I've ridden before but it's been several years. Hopefully I get a calm, sweet horse to ride.

justjaynee
11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Justjaynee-- I think that sounds like a good plan for you. I lost my weight on WW and I do still track (sometimes-- I've been tracking lately because of my weight creep). I'm trying to eat 26 points and I'm even below that most days (though I'm not counting my fruits or veggies and I eat a lot of both).

Thanks all for your thoughts.
I did just have my thyroid and hormone levels checked as I have thyroid issues. They are all in check for now.

I am keeping a food log with WW points. At some point, I may go to tracking calories to be more precise but I don't want to take the time at the moment for that.

I'm going to visit dd in Arizona this weekend and I'm kinda freaking out because I know my food will be way off plan and I likely won't get any real exercise in. Saturday we are going on a 90 minute horseback ride in the desert so that counts, but Friday and Sunday won't have any planned exercise. I fly back Monday so hopefully I can hit the gym or yoga. I'm kinda afraid of horses even though I love animals and was a vet tech. I've ridden before but it's been several years. Hopefully I get a calm, sweet horse to ride.

I'm also afraid of horses-I fell off of one as a kid and highly dislike them now lol. Have fun with your visit!

Shannon in ATL
11-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Lots to reply to. :)

Jaynee - I had a hard time stabilizing in the first six months. I dropped down to 115 pounds and was under a healthy BMI. It shifted back eventually. Too far back I guess. LOL I think yours will balance out, too. The 2000 calorie will be a good test.

Michele - big hugs to you. You've said before that it seems like we fight the same battles at the same time, and I agree with that. :) I totally feel where you are - and am working on being kind to myself also. I started to lose again for the last few months, got down 12 pounds from July actually, but have overeaten again with the salt and carb the last week and have 6 of those back in water retention. I know this, and am trying hard not to beat myself up knowing I'll eat more stuff next week on vacation. I have found myself getting better with the intuitive eating, when I don't fight it. My instinct says 'I need 100 more calories, I need to eat' when sometimes I really don't. We can do this. Enjoy your visit with DD and don't worry about the food so much. I hate that we drive ourselves crazy on these trips worrying so much over every detail, does it damage our enjoyment of the moment?

Jessica - we had to get a high chair because the strap on booster chair just didn't work long term with our dining chair and table. The height never worked, the dining chair had a seat cushion we couldn't remove, etc etc. If they work for you guys though go with it! :)

Dagmar has curtains! Woo! Did I ever tell you guys about my neighbors across the street who never put up curtains in a single room? They were living there when I moved in and just moved out a year or so ago, so five years of husband, wife and two teenage daughters and their boyfriends with no curtains. We saw a lot of things we never wanted to see, let me tell you.

Jen - you look fabulous. Seriously. I see why those two pics make you wonder why the 3-4 pounds freaks you out. I don't know how to keep those 3-4 from freaking you out, but in your pic on Monday I sure couldn't see them.

Almost vacation time. I'm pretty much mentally there already. LOL As evidenced by my ordering pizza for dinner last night. Two more days, lots of packing to do tonight since we have DSS tomorrow. HAVE to get it done tonight. The last two nights we washed some laundry and called that progress, but it really isn't.

ICUwishing
11-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Looking at 3 consecutive dinners away from home, starting tonight. 2 are social, and the third is ... going to be one of those very special splurges. This is what the menu looks like: http://www.hollyhotel.com/events.html ; (see the Wild Game Dinner for this weekend).

Jen, I thought Shannon expressed it really well about your pictures - ditto every word!

Justjaynee - welcome! :wave:

michele - the Arizona weekend sounds fun! Whatever happens, happens - you can jump back on track as soon as you get home. More important to enjoy the time with DD!

joy - I always feel like I'm taking more from this thread than I can give. The collective wisdom is awesome. What I do know for sure is that when I make a point of being here regularly and posting (fwiw), I can hold and/or creep downward. When I get "too busy" and drift away, the scale does exactly the same thing. With the holidays approaching ... :eek:

Megan, you put into words a lot about how I've come to my current thinking about my weight. I'm not letting the "now" state occupy too much of my head; I try more to look at what I can do better and what options are going to work best for what, hopefully, will be my long, happy, healthy future. I don't want to obsess, stress, or "punish". It takes up too much bandwidth!

jessica, your baby tales are giving me lovely flashbacks to DS's first year. :goodvibes:

gardenerjoy
11-07-2013, 09:51 AM
We're going to a preview reception at the Art Museum -- a new experience for me, so I'm planning to enjoy the art and ignore any food that might be associated with this. We're friends with the curator (this is one of the days that I love how St. Louis feels like a small town) who put together a show of photography by Paul Strand and Emmet Gowin.

justjaynee: I can't remember, did you say you're vegan? If not, some fish, chicken, or yogurt in that plan would give you some calories, nutrients, and healthy fats. If you are, you could try adding some nut butter to your smoothie and/or your sweet potato to get more WW points.

CherryPie99: great before and after pix -- and beautiful dog!

traveling michele
11-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Becky-- that dinner looks so interesting! Enjoy your splurge.

Yes, I will try to focus on my visit. No one wants to have to hear about my unhappiness with a few extra pounds especially if they are heavier than me. I know that. I have no idea where our meals will be but I'm sure they won't be diet friendly at all.

Since I'm leaving directly from work tomorrow for the airport, I've got to do all my packing, washing clothes, etc. tonight.

paperclippy
11-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Jen, amazing pics! It does help to put the 3-4lbs in perspective. Love your dog too, and laughing about his name.

Jaynee, I second the recommendation to get your thyroid checked. Even if you've never had problems with it before, thyroid issues can crop up at any point in life. A family friend started a weight loss program then found herself unable to stop losing -- turns out she had hyperthyroidism!

Michele, I hope you can enjoy your time with DD instead of stressing about the food too much.

Megan, I'm glad you have been able to make peace with your weight! I'm feeling sort of the same way about the 30lbs of baby weight I'm carrying. My body doesn't look anything like I want it to, but for the babies' health I'm not going to try to lose any weight until they're weaned. That means I am looking at another six months of having this extra 30lb belly, so there's no point in stressing out about it. As long as I'm not GAINING weight it's all good.

Shannon, remind me where you're going on vacation?

Becky, the dinner sounds delish!

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow. Babies have a doctor appointment at 11:15 and it breaks up the day so badly (doctor on the other side of town) that I may as well just not come in at all. We will get them checked for lip and tongue ties and talk about our options for treating their reflux, since the prevacid has done nothing for them. On the plus side, even though they've been uncomfortable from the reflux and not sleeping well, they have been nursing well again lately. Go figure. Not that it's the schedule I'd like, but they nursed at 3am, 4am, and 6am this morning, without fuss.

I admit I feel a little bad about the fact that we've had to supplement with formula for one feeding a day lately. I have a freezer full of milk but I'm still working on the no dairy diet to see if it helps (today is day 12, I see no difference so far so I doubt it's related). On the other hand I am getting checked out by a local milk bank to see if I can donate the giant pile of milk I have from when the girls were still in the hospital, since it's not really the right composition to feed to them anymore, so at least it won't go to waste.

traveling michele
11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Jessica-- I've never heard of a milk bank-- how cool!

I think I'm excited about my trip/feeling better from my cold/ coffee but I have a ton of energy. I'm buzzing around getting tons done at work while simultaneously getting online and shopping (oops-- White House Black Market sale!!)....

I need to focus....

CherryPie99
11-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks to all! I hope it didn't come across that I was fishing for compliments, I just think that all of us, including myself, have to step back and remember how far we have come rather then beating ourselves up!

From what I have seen and heard here, we are a bunch of fabulous people with so much to offer this world that is WAYYYYYY more then a number on a scale!!

jen

alinnell
11-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Oh, dear! I just got an email with the "head count" of Orange County guests coming for Thanksgiving. 33! Although the 33rd doesn't count as it's a baby that is due to be born this week. But that's 33 FAMILY members. That does not count the friends we've invited that may or may not come.

I'm second guessing my rationale in doing a golf tournament the Sunday before and the 5k race the morning of Thanksgiving.

paperclippy
11-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Allison, 33 people! :fr: Wow. Is your Thanksgiving substituting as a family reunion? :lol: How many turkeys do you need for that many people? I think there are going to be somewhere between 12 and 16 at MIL's for Thanksgiving this year. We'll see how it goes -- MIL was mad at BIL for going to his GF's family for Thanksgiving last year so she basically ordered him to come to this year's. I'm pretty sure he was planning to come anyway so he's probably just annoyed that she was so insistent about it. She was upset that he went to GF's family for both Thanksgiving and Christmas -- BIL planned to alternate Thanksgivings but given that my in-laws are Jewish, he figured there was no need to be there at Christmas. I pointed that out to MIL, and she said, "If he goes to GF's for Christmas every year then he can stay here for Thanksgiving every year." :lol: I wouldn't blame BIL for going elsewhere sometimes -- his grandma dislikes his GF for some reason and she is at all the holidays.

I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving. Where did the year go???

Megan1982
11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm dragging today from lack of sleep from late rehearsals and middle of the night dog outings all week long. A cup of green tea perked me up a bit. Last night at our last normal rehearsal before we move into the theatre this weekend I was seriously questioning if everything will come together by opening night in 8 days. It is exciting and scary at the same time.

I don't want to obsess, stress, or "punish". It takes up too much bandwidth!

Yup. It's just too much work and energy I'd rather devote to other pursuits. :p

Jen, you're right, it's important to keep perspective. Your before & after pictures are impressive. And what a cute puppy dog.

Jessica, I hope you can donate the milk. It seems a shame to waste it. I'm glad your mom is providing some much needed relief. Let us know how the girls visit goes tomorrow.

Michele and Shannon, good luck packing and enjoy your trips! Have fun in NOLA Shannon!!! Did you know that when you're in New Orleans, a cup of coffee and plate of beignets at Cafe Du Mond don't have calories?

gardenerjoy
11-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Our Art Museum event was fun and inspiring and the only calories I consumed were a sip of DH's wine.

*putting head in sand about Thanksgiving*

ICUwishing
11-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanksgiving this year is at the in-laws, and MIL insisted that my mom come up too. This is going to work out just fine. :) We all get an awesome dinner (MIL can COOK!), my kitchen won't be trashed, and no worries about anybody having dinner alone. I think I should probably speak with DH about hosting Christmas dinner, since it's midway between for everybody. :chin: Better to work all this out now so I can stress about it for 6 weeks, right? :lol:

traveling michele
11-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Oh.... Cafe du Monde. Such fond memories. You have to go there Shannon. Every morning. It's a must.....

Thanksgiving for us is just the four of us. Thank Goodness. The problem is that dh loves Thanksgiving and cooking so he cooks like we're having Allison's brood over. And my family rebels against healthy eating so I'm booted mostly out of the kitchen.

justjaynee
11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
We're going to a preview reception at the Art Museum -- a new experience for me, so I'm planning to enjoy the art and ignore any food that might be associated with this. We're friends with the curator (this is one of the days that I love how St. Louis feels like a small town) who put together a show of photography by Paul Strand and Emmet Gowin.

justjaynee: I can't remember, did you say you're vegan? If not, some fish, chicken, or yogurt in that plan would give you some calories, nutrients, and healthy fats. If you are, you could try adding some nut butter to your smoothie and/or your sweet potato to get more WW points.

CherryPie99: great before and after pix -- and beautiful dog!

Not a vegan but pretty close. I'm following Dr. Fuhrman's plan and eating a mostly whole foods, plant based diet with a ratio of about 90/10. 90% nutrient dense whole plant foods and then 10% for meat and dairy, eating out, condiments, diet soda etc.

There's a 100% cancer rate for women in my family, going back several generations, as well as numerous relatives with type 2 diabetes (lost one grandfather to it and losing my only living grandmother to it now). I'm a realist, but I'm also interested in the studies/science that shows a connection with food/nutrition and good health :) Work from doctors like Fuhrman, Caldwell, Ornish etc. give me hope, and then real life experiences, like Kris Carr, suggest that what we eat can have an impact on our health. I haven't totally cut anything out, but some things like dairy and meat I'm now eating in small amounts. I'm not opposed to nut butters, except I don't really like peanuts/peanut butter. I could get some almond or cashew butter though-good idea!

I am really thinking of going to the doctor and getting some blood work done, so I've decided to pause on WW points (though I want to go back to that), and keep an actual food/calorie log right now, so I can bring it in with me if I go. Giving it a few days, and then will reassess how things are going.

justjaynee
11-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh, dear! I just got an email with the "head count" of Orange County guests coming for Thanksgiving. 33! Although the 33rd doesn't count as it's a baby that is due to be born this week. But that's 33 FAMILY members. That does not count the friends we've invited that may or may not come.

I'm second guessing my rationale in doing a golf tournament the Sunday before and the 5k race the morning of Thanksgiving.

Wow! We do very low key for Thanksgiving-church in the morning and then heading to the in-laws for lunch. None of us like the traditional turkey meal so it will probably be steaks on the grill :) Then the rest of the day will be a lazy one. Maybe take the kids to a movie or do a movie night in.

traveling michele
11-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Ugh. Sitting at the airport. Flight is several hours delayed. Trying not to succumb to junk to eat. I've already had my dinner. At this rate I'll be lucky to get to my hotel by 2 am.

Mudpie
11-10-2013, 05:45 AM
I think we're going to buy the last 2 components needed for the house today - for now.I have to keep in control at Ikea though - the store is laid out for impulse shopping. And DH wants to eat breakfast there - I'l curious to see what they have. No help online - no menu available.

Those two components will help get the kitchen almost fully functional and I will be able to do more than heat up frozen stuff and serve pre-made salads. I think I will allow myself to keep buying the premade salads once a week. I hate making salad but I do enjoy eating it. This way we have it once a week for sure. I stay away from the ones with craisins and nuts and cheese and all of them come without dressing so they can be relatively low call.

I find it difficult to incorporate veggies into meals. DH doesn't like most of them as sides and all of the cruciferous ones give him gas. We do use a lot of sweet peppers and spinach but I'd like to branch out a bit.

I had hoped DH would really stick to the motto he came up with - "new house, new life|" - but he's slipped back into old bad habits. I'm not going to nag :rollpin: about the eating at night but I AM going to comment on the 20 minutes of clean up in the kitchen I had to do this morning so that I could make myself a coffee. He has to start helping with housework again as the reno stuff comes to a close. That's only fair.

I spent an exciting :p hour last night assembling and using my new vacuum. Saturday night! :woohoo: :rofl:

This morning I test out my new "gym" space. I have to use the living room and stow my stuff when done. The stretch bands on the door are upstairs in my office so I'll get some cardio in running up and down the stairs. This should be interesting. It's doable but more work. My toned muscles are totally worth it.

Good Sunday all!

Dagmar :strong:

alinnell
11-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Interesting day yesterday. I dropped DH off at the car dealership where he signed the papers for a new Ford Explorer Sport (white). We worked out a trade with the dealership's owner (we're doing the windows, etc. on his house) so the car was free! Well, free in as much as we're severely discounting the stuff on his house, but it's still good.

After that, I stopped by the office to feed Culley and put food out for the feral gray cat that no one has seen since the morning I released her (but the food gets eaten each night).

Grocery duties after that.

Then the in-laws and DH and I drove east to a baby shower for the wife of one of our employees. Had a nice taco lunch and a couple cocktails.

Once home, DS and I took Ringo, who had been feeling much, much better (peeing normal amounts without struggle) to the vet because that morning he decided to throw up and then, once he had my attention, attempt to pee on inappropriate items (bathroom rugs, his Cat's Meow toy, etc.). The vet thought it was a total blockage and sent us across the valley to the emergency vet saying they'd knock him out, catheterize him and then keep him overnight. On the way to the vet, he peed in his crate (which, although smelly, was a good sign). The e-vet got a good urine sample to send to the lab to see what is going on with him, gave him some subcutaneous fluids and a shot of something (Baytril, I think, which is an antibiotic) and sent him home with two antibiotics and a pain pill. So thankfully, he wasn't blocked and didn't need to stay overnight. He was so happy to be home after 4 hours at two different vets! Other than having to give him meds, he continues to be happy and is peeing and also drinking a lot (I think he was a bit dehydrated from the ordeal despite the sub-Q fluid).

Dinner was very late due to the vet visits and yet I managed to lose a pound. Happy with that! Oh, and half a sweet potato along with grilled flank steak is super yummy!