Support Groups - Steel Magnolias -- #63

View Full Version : Steel Magnolias -- #63

Jean
11-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! We had sunshine this morning but the clouds have rolled in -- gloomy and terribly windy again this afternoon. http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/frown.icon The wind makes it feel so much colder than the temperature says it is. We went to early church; I lit the memorial candles with another "older" lady. The pastor reads the name, we light the candle, and another lady rang a bell. The bell was mine from bell choir and she had never rung a bell before. The other candle lighter had never lit candles and got way ahead of the names being read so we stood there doing nothing while he read the rest of the names. I felt a little stupid; it worked better when Bob and I did it together last year. Bob offered to pick up chicken dinners from a local restaurant so that will be the menu for lunch.

"Gma" -- I have never seen crab cakes. Do you make them or can you buy them? I had a Fed Ex delivery a few years ago that wasn't mine. When I called them I got the run around that it was delivered to the correct address; same house numbers but different streets. It took most of the day to get it straightened out and the lady who was supposed to get it finally came to my house. She had an unlisted phone number so I couldn't call her. I wasn't impressed with the service. I hope someone finds your yarn and gets it to you asap! You'll probably end up with double! :rolleyes: Harvest is done as of yesterday! :cheer: :cp: Now our meals can get back to "normal," whatever that is on a given day. :o

I'm off to read the Sunday paper and check for toy ads. Maddy wants money and nothing else; that would be easy but at 10 years old, I'd rather wrap gifts for her than just hand over money. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing day today! :wave:

gma22
11-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Good afternoon everyone. Hope you enjoyed the extra hour of sleep or whatever you did with it. We ran a bunch of errands this morning and are finally back home. I fixed a lasagna for dinner and will put it in the oven around 3. I use the no cook noodles and do all the layering except the top layer I don't put cheese on. I wrap it tight in aluminum foil and bake at 323 for an hour, remove the foil, sprinkle on cheese and heat until the top is bubbly. Learned this from all people Dom Deloise years ago before they even did the no bake noodles. It makes it so easy to make dinner.

I was afraid we would have to run around a lot to find what I wanted, but ended up doing it all at Target except the groceries because I had Kroger free coupons I wanted to use. We bought a couple cheap lamps for the living room and a new bath mat and new shower rod because a few years back I slipped in the tub and grabbed it and bent it. We haven't replaced it though we bent it back in shape. The metal shower hooks keep catching on the place I bent it and it drives me nuts. I never think about replacing it when we are out shopping until today because we walked past it going to get a new bath mat. I can always tell when the bath mat needs changing; your feet can feel the suction cups through the mat. I found this mat at Target and asked Jack if he would like it instead of what I always buy. The thing was full of little plastic type spikes and such and supposed to massage your feet while you bathed. Jack said he thinks they would hurt so no go! :lol: I agreed as just passing your hand over it didn't feel good.

I weighed in on Sunday instead of tomorrow and am down another 2 lbs. :cp: The jeans I couldn't wear before are becoming too big. You can pull the denim away from my behind and legs. I told Jack no new clothing until the stuff I have falls off me. A bunch of my undies are too big now, but because of the female stuff and such I keep them for that. I have always bought tshirts that are long like tunic style to cover my belly because my ostomy scar and my long incision shows. Well they used to hit me just under my belly on my thighs. I put one on this morning and it was near my knees! :lol:

Jean: Yum, chicken for lunch. We had a hot dog at Target. Durn those things are salty. I gave up after about 3 bites. Hopefully, next time you do the memorial the people involved with know what they are supposed to do. We buy Emeril Legasses crab cakes. They come two to a box and Jack likes them a lot. You can buy big boxes of frozen ones. They look like when you make salmon cakes if you do. I buy a large container of shrimp cocktail and eat cold shrimp when he has crab cakes. We have tater tots with them usually and the shrimp I buy comes with a big ole thing of cocktail sauce so I can dip, dip, dip! :lol: I was in heaven on the ship as I had shrimp cocktail every night at dinner. One night Jack had lobster bisque. I always thought lobster bisque was like a cream based soup. This stuff wasn't and tasted like bilge water. It was awful. Sort of like walking along the ocean or lake and that funky dead fish smell there is sometimes. Well that is what this stuff tasted like.

Well girls, I need to work some more on my scarf. I finally got an update and hopefully the yarn will be here tomorrow, :crossed: Have a nice Sunday all. Faye

gma22
11-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Good afternoon gals. It is cool here today and partly sunny. I had the upstairs bathrooms to clean today and found out I am too short to put up the new shower curtain rod so Jack will have to help me.

I felt I should keep to my regular weigh in day and got a nice surprise. I am down to 315, only 16 lbs and I will be under 300 for the first time in decades. I need to go upstairs and start trying on clothing I couldn't wear before, but it kind of wears me out to do that. Most of the stuff is summer clothing anyway, but I have a couple really nice pair of dress pants I need to try on.

My yarn is out for delivery so I can get started on Thomas's socks as soon as it is delivered. I am going to have to really knit, knit, knit to get them done in time as we are having our Christmas the first week in December. I need to get on the kids and moms to get me Christmas lists so I can get to buying stuff. I know Jackson wants a handheld video game thing, but don't know exactly what he wants. Thomas I have no clue. His mom said she had to go out and buy him new clothes because he outgrew the ones he has so buying him clothes is out.

Tonight is pot roast night and I sure hope it gets done. I have had it in the crockpot since 9 on high and the roast is still undercooked. I just turned it over and put the lid back on and will just leave it to cook until Jack gets home and check it then.

There's been something going on at the condo next door that the bank owns. When we got home from vacation they had changed out some electrically stuff and had broken the padlock and handle on the gate to get in. Seems funny they didn't have the keys to the padlock. They did something over last weekend too and we have seen a guy in a suit over there a couple times. Maybe they have found someone to buy it. Just in our one block there are two condos for sale and two for rent. One is the lady that passed away a month ago. I guess they finally cleared out the house so they could rent it.

Guess I better check my laundry and see if it is ready to fold. Have a nice beginning to the week! Faye

Jean
11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining after a gloomy morning with a few sprinkles blowing in the wind. We counted late this morning so I was late getting home. I will pick up the gift shop money tomorrow. I had a P.E.O. meeting this afternoon and am now home to stay. We had coffee and cookies so I'm not in the least bit interested in planning supper right now.

"Gma" -- :congrat: on another 2#s gone forever! Lasagna sounds good; that's something I rarely make for the two of us. I had to :lol: at your description of the lobster bisque tasting like bilge water. Is Thomas just as happy with gift cards rather than "stuff?" You could get one for his favorite restaurant, the book store, electronic store, etc. When I buy gift cards I wrap them in different sized boxes to keep the kids guessing. It seems like the kids are getting harder to buy for, and the "toys" get more expensive, as they get older. I have :crossed: that your yarn arrives today! I hope you get some nice neighbors whether they buy or rent next door.

I need to unload the dishwasher and make it look like I accomplished something today. Hope you all enjoy your evening. :wave:

gma22
11-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Good morning girls. Hurrah, I got my yarn. It is going to make a beautiful pair of socks too. It is a handpainted yarn called "castle walls," and it is this beautiful gray and white blend. I have half the cuff done on the first sock so I am going to be going at lightening speed to get them done. :lol:

Jack got my shower curtain rod up and I put the shower curtains back up, (we have two, the one on the outside is for show and we have a cloth one on the inside that is treated so it doesn't soak in water.) I have had this combination for about 5 years now and haven't had to replace either one. They both hang on a single hook together. I just take them down every month and wash them in bleach to kill mold and mildew and then dry them in the dryer and hang them back up. They are both white so they can be bleached. I cleaned bathrooms upstairs yesterday and will tackle more stuff downstairs this morning. I sprayed hot chocolate all over the inside of the microwave so have to clean that up pronto. I used the wrong cup and it sprayed bits of hot chocolate all over the microwave walls. It's a mess. I rarely even drink hot chocolate. :lol:

Jean: Sounds like you had a productive day yesterday. Kelly likes us to buy him things instead of gift cards or cash. I would happily give him cash because he saves it and doesn't spend it until he has enough to buy whatever it is he wants. I am thinking of getting Jackson a little wallet and putting some Mcdonalds food cards in it or something like that. He is at an age where he would feel grown up with something like that. I made pot roast, carrots and mashed potatoes last night in the crockpot but what a mess it made in the kitchen at serving time. So, I told Jack tonight is something easy, manwich sandwiches and tater tots. :lol:

Well need to get out of here and work on the sock. Have a great day all. Faye

Jean
11-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's a dark, gloomy, windy, and cold morning in my neighborhood. The weatherman is still promising some snow tonight. :dizzy: I need to pick up my gift shop money and make the deposit this morning. Other than that I need to work on the afghan and perhaps catch another cat who has decided my deck is "her" home. She is tame and has the softest fur I've ever felt on a cat.

"Gma" -- I'm glad your yarn has arrived! :cheer: I'd love to watch you knit. Where did you find a cloth liner for your shower? I have a vinyl one and every once in awhile it tends to stick to the tub. :( I have several fifty cent pieces to wrap for Ian. I don't know why he thinks they are so special. The person who puts them in the coffee fund has either gone south or run out because I haven't gotten one in several weeks. I also found a football picture of Jason that I'm going to give Ian for his room. Jason is in the same pose that Ian was in for his pictures this year. We haven't had a roast in quite awhile so am thinking that sounds very good. Today is definitely a soup kind of day.

I'm dressed so need to head to the gift shop. Hope you all are enjoying sunshine and a terrific Tuesday today! :wave:

QuilterInVA
11-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Good morning ladies! 57 degrees. The leaves are finally turning and the gloom of winter is here.

I've been down with a sinus infection that has moved to my ears. I didn't leave the house for 4 days. I'm feeling better but have a really rattling cough so I'm taking Mucinex DX for that. Doc gave me some meds that have really helped. Casper has been right near me the whole time. Friday I feelt really bad and after I read the paper I went back to bed and slept off and on from 10 am to 4 pm and he stayed on the bed with me the whole time. He'd come and look me in the face every once in awhile and then go lay back down.

I had 17 Trick or Treaters. I gave out small bags of pretzels (50 calories a bag) so I have lots left over for a once a week treat.

Sandy and I got tickets for the opera The Magic Flute by Mozart on November 17. We haven't been able to afford tickets for several years but this time they had some much cheaper so we jumped on the band wagon. I'm sure they are so far in the balcony we won't be able to see the stage, but that's okay. It's the music I love.

This Saturday is tea with Glory and Irene and Irene's sister who is visiting from England. Irene and her sister are both in their 80s and have great stories about village life in England when they were young.

Faye, you are doing so well with your weight loss - soon the 200s will be here! You must be feeling a lot better. I've had glass shower doors since 1974 when we bought our first house. I hate shower curtains because no matter how hard I try, water gets on the floor. You'll have those socks done in no time!

Jean, just about every restaurant here has some type of crab cake. I hate the ones that have filler (cracker meal or bread crumbs). I just want crab, onion, celery, egg and Old Bay seasoning. I bake them. Yum! I'd hate to live inland again and not have all the fresh seafood to choose from. The word must be out to all cats that they can come to your house for food, water, and placement in a good home! I'm reading a book now called "Fur Tales". It's a collection of short stories as told by cats. Some are funny, some are sad and they all are good.

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to VOTE. Big turnout expected here in VA for governor's race.

gma22
11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Good morning everyone. We are supposed to get rain today for quite awhile. It hasn't started yet, but I took out a bag of trash and swept the leaves out of the walkway (they were too wet to clean up over the weekend) and it was pretty windy. Thank goodness the no one lives next door as my nightgown was blowing all over the place! :lol:

I have my mammogram tomorrow and a dr appt on Friday. I hope we can get to the bottom of a couple of minor problems, one of which is my calves. Since I have lost weight they are sore to the touch. I shaved them this morning and even pressing the razor on them was a bit painful. It may just be the blood vessels are closer to the skin now and that is what is sore. We shall see what she says. I am hoping I can have her help me apply for a handicap parking pass. My knee has gotten so bad it is hard to walk from a parking lot into a store. I usually use the store basket to help me when I am in the store and my cane outside the store, but it locks up or pops in and out so much now that going long distance if I am alone is a little bit scary. Jack goes with me places most of the time and will drop me off in front of the building, but like tomorrow I need to go to Joann's and get some stuff and will be alone. Until I get to a more normal weight there is no sense in even seeing the orthopedic surgeon. I have had 3 regular doctors and Jack's ortho surgeon tell me my weight could undo anything they fixed so I just have to wait.

I have the first sock done all the way to the heel and am picking up the stitches on both sides of the heel and starting the foot, which is really the longest knitted part so it takes the most time. Hopefully I may be able to get the first one done by the first of the week and start the other one.

Jean: I have had that cloth liner so long I am not sure. I think I may have bought it as Bed Bath and Beyond, but I am not positive. It would screw with your head watching me knit since I knit left handed. Everything is backwards. :lol: I think those ideas are splendid for Christmas. I have to get through Kelly's bday first. It is a week from Saturday. She is the last birthday in the family. Our anniversary is the 18th and that rounds out bdays and anniversaries for the year. We haven't decided about Thanksgiving either. I talked to Kelly about doing what we did last year, but she gave me other suggestions too so I don't know. It will be just the 5 of us as Jay and his family won't be down here until the following weekend for the St Jude's marathon. I hope they weather holds out and it isn't too cold.

Susan: Sure hope you are feeling better. With you I would think anything with your breathing in any way could really put you down. I use that mucinex stuff and it always does the trick for me, but it sure leaves a nasty taste in your mouth when it starts breaking up. Good ole Casper what a great nanny. I am going to jump for joy when I get to 299! It isn't too far off either.

Well back to the sock! Have a great middle of the week and keep warm!!! Faye

Maggie
11-06-2013, 12:17 PM
♪♥♫GOOD NOVEMBER MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

We just got back last evening and I am sure glad to be home again. We didn’t see any accidents going or coming so that is a good thing that folks were driving sensibly. We had a great visit with the relatives “out there.” And are so glad to be back home. The dogs were glad to see us and the cat hasn’t stopped telling us all about it. Not much going on this day ~ just easing back into our daily routine around here.

We had the best meal at a place in NM where we bought another painting and a neat gift for our neighbor for taking care of our mail. We plan on taking the motor home and driving there in the spring for dinner for they have the best Carne Asada. :yes: It is a restaurant and gift shop combined and they have nice looking paintings. This is the second one we have purchased from them. Last time was that buffalo painting and this one is of a cattle drive.

My mother had a silver necklace that was a design of Picassos which was about 2½ inches across and now it belongs to the wife of my nephew. Anyway I was so glad she has it for I didn’t want it for it was too big for my taste. My brother had one made like it only smaller for his fiancé out of gold and now my niece is going to get the form from him and have two silver ones made ~ one for her and one for me. I have rounded up enough “junk” silver to send her for the both of them and will split the jewelers cost with her. It is such a neat design and I always liked it back when big jewelry was the fashion. It may be back now though but I prefer a smaller one which will be 1½ inch ~ big enough. :lol:

SUSAN:hug: I am so glad you are feeling better. Casper is such a sweetheart to care for you. That book sounds like one I would like to read. Did you ever see the Broadway type production of "Cats"? That was so good to watch.

DONNA FAYE You are doing so well shrinking your body. Celebrate when you get to 300 with a non food gift for yourself. It is a great feeling to be under 300 and then under 250 and looking beyond. Hope you get a new neighbor you can be friends with.

JEAN Thank you so much for the sympathy card for that was real sweet of you to send it. I have many good memories of Tricia. Snow ~ we are so glad all we got was rain all the way for our last leg of our trip home yesterday. It was one huge storm covering several states. Soup day sounds yummy.

Looks like it has been chatty around here while I was MIA which is great.
Have a nice afternoon my Magnolia friends. :wave:

Jean
11-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, it's breezy, and cold in my neighborhood today. Much much better with the sun shining than yesterday! I don't think we got any snow last night, or if we did it didn't stick around. The birdbath was frozen this morning and it looked frosty on the leaves covering the yard. I ran another check back to the hospital and a couple other errands this morning. I've been doing laundry and decluttering the island this afternoon. I get lazy and don't put things away when I finish with them; I need to work on that.

Susan -- I hope you are feeling much better by now. :hug: I'm glad Casper was concerned and knew you weren't feeling well. It's always nice to have fuzzy body near by. Crab cakes must be a southern dish because I've never seen it on a seafood menu around here. I will see if it is offered when we go to Maui next time. I know you will enjoy the Saturday tea and the opera. What a treat both will be!

"Gma" -- I've had that feeling where my knee is going to give out and that is scary! :hyper: The pt called it a form of bursitis and it finally went away. Good luck with your medical appointments, necessary but not fun. I know you will have the socks done in plenty of time. I finally got Ian's wish list so think we may head to Sioux City tomorrow and start the shopping. I hate his birthday is so close to Christmas.

Maggie -- Welcome home! I'm glad you had a safe trip with no snow storms. I'm sure your furry family is glad to be back home too. :D It's nice that you can have a silver necklace like your mother's, and also one for your niece. I'm not into the big jewelry either.

I have bell choir later this afternoon so need to keep busy on my decluttering. I am getting catalogs, and more catalogs every day. Some of them I've never heard of let alone ordered anything from. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day! :wave:

gma22
11-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Good morning gals. Just a quick post before I finish up getting ready to go get my mammogram. I have a few errands afterwards then I will be back home for awhile until I go pick up Jack.

Two years ago I ordered a great lightweight jacket from Land's End but had to buy a man's to fit me. I put it on this morning to take Jack to work because it was 40 degrees out and the thing is huge. I can wrap the two sides around me. I paid a pretty penny for it though so I will use it for quite awhile and just let it be baggy.

Jack's new work shoes should be here today. They get a voucher for $85 to buy shoes every year, but now the company is not longer in business here in Memphis so they have to do it online. They have to have all these special things like steel toes, electrical hazard and such and Jack hates boots. He has always been able to buy a type of tennis shoe, but they have dropped all of them now so we had to pay for the darn things. They are skechers and cost us nearly $100. I told him they have to last awhile if we are going to be paying for them. They won't reimburse you either. You either buy from Lehigh online or go without.

Maggie: Glad you made it home all safe and sound. I am sure all the doggies and kitty are glad you are back home. Jack bought me this beautiful watch, necklace and earrings. The necklace is a starfish cubic zirconia and just lovely. I like big jewelry, mainly because of my size, but he picked this out as a gift to me on the ship so hopefully on fancy days I can wear it.

Jean: I am going to have to get on the boys to get me their lists or they are going to get money. I have Thomas's first sock about 2 inches from doing the toe. They look so huge, but he wears a men's size 10 shoe. I hate they are growing up so fast. I am sure when you are in Hawaii you can get crab cakes, though the majority of good crabs are on the east coast of the US.

Well, gotta go and get some breakfast. Have a great day all. Faye

QuilterInVA
11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Good morning, ladies! 62 degrees and rain this day. From the forecast, our warmer days are over and its to be colder from here on out. I do have 2 pink roses that opened up this week.

I went to Red Lobster for lunch with 3 friends yesterday. I had the Bar Harbour Salad with shrimp. It was really good and very filling. I don't care for the cheesy biscuits so it was not hard to pass them up.

Faye, you knit like a demon. Those socks will be done in plenty of time. You could give the boys prepaid Visa cards and then they could get what they want wherever. I bought some beautiful wool yard to make a pair of fingerless gloves. Now I need to get busy so I have them done before Spring! Faye, maybe it's time to ask your doc if a knee brace would help until you lose enough weight to have surgery. I often use one at the gym for the knee I banged up last year sometimes wants to give out when I'm working hard there. The doc had mine made to measure. It helps a lot.

Jean, we buy crabs by the bushel around here right from the boats. Doesn't get any fresher than that. We have several seafood packing plants and a lot of oriental women work as pickers (separating the crab from shell) and the men work at filleting fish. We can get fresh fish and seafood all year. It sure tastes a lot better than when it has to be shipped in like we got it in OH.

Maggie, welcome back! I'm glad you had a safe trip. Carne Asada is unfamiliar to me...what is it? I don't do too well with Mexican food for the spiciness upsets my GERD. What a nice rememberance of your mom that necklace will be.

Have a great day!

Maggie
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
♪♥♫GOOD NOVEMBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is another chilly day in the 50°s here in the ♥-Land and I am getting over all that traveling these past few weeks. I have got to get back into cooking at home for we have had so many eating out occasions due to being away from home. I didn’t put on any weight which is a good thing. O-Joy:cp: ~ Will is going to join WW with me next meeting. He has come to the realization that since I have been doing so well to have lost almost 100 pounds using the WW way that he will give it a go at WW. Since I am already cooking the WW way he can lose if he cuts back on his portion sizes. I promised to stay out of his “program” as he has stayed out of mine. We both did so well on our trip to not buy any “junk food” at the places we stopped for gas. We had taken along some fruit and jerky which was quite satisfying if we wanted a snack.

A beautiful live plant was delivered to us with no name of who sent it. I sure would like to know who bought it so I could “thanks for it.” We went out for dinner last evening and it was sure good to be home and eating at Applebee’s where I can eat off their menu that has WW points for the entrées.

I finally got my little computer working correctly to send & receive my mail on it. Had to call the teckie to get that done though, for the booklet didn’t tell it like it is. I don’t know who writes those things but when the instructions are followed they don’t work like they say they will. I have the little thing on the charger so hopefully it will behave itself now. I was even able to download my favorite Monopoly game on it.

I also get a plethora of catalogues and some I find interesting and others I just toss into the trash. I am not ordering much this holiday season though for there aren’t many that we buy for anymore. The family is dwindling that we exchanged gifts with. My little 8th grade friend here was thrilled with all the little “trinkets” that I got her from each state we traveled through. She likes to write short stories and enjoys it when she has me to read them and offer any suggestions.

I just received See,s® candy catalogue and what is neat about this origination is that a person is allowed to choose what pieces of candy goes into a box. Traditionally we get a box of Nuts & Chews and eat 2 pieces each then I wrap the pieces individually and freeze them for later in the year. They are one to two points each and I mark them on the wrapper what the points value is. If you can’t just eat one then don’t order from these folks for the are the very (in my humble opinion) best.

SUSAN We like eating at the Red Lobster and love those biscuits and have the recipe to make them :cp: (which I don't do often.) Carne Asada has a thin piece of steak grilled & served with different sauces, rice, beans, chopped lettuce, onions & tomatoes and fresh tortillas to make burritos out of you wish. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like for you control what you put on your tortilla. I like mine mo-hotta-mo-betta and Will likes his mild. He can't eat spicy ever since he had his gall bladder removed.

DONNA FAYE Isn't it fun to shrink out of clothes. That is too bad that Jack can't buy the footwear he was used to and has to change styles. Hope your test at the doc comes out well.

JEAN Our birdbath didn't freeze yet but it will eventually. Cecil likes to jump up on the edge of it and get a drink of water. I used to catch crabs down at the beach when I was a kid. They were fun to play with back then but we didn't eat them.

Have a great afternoon my Magnolia friends. :wave:

Jean
11-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy with the sun trying to peek through every once in awhile and the wind continues to blow. We went to Sioux City yesterday; Bob needed to get the oil changed in his pickup and a reboot for the clock that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Our small (keep extra pop and beer in it) refrigerator in the garage quit so made a stop at SAMs to purchase a little bigger one plus all the other "stuff" that seems to jump into the basket. Then we power shopped with Ian's birthday and Christmas lists plus jeans and shirts for the other grandchildren's Christmas. I had Kolby's Christmas list so headed to Target for Legos and American Girl look alike doll clothes for the girls. Back to Scheels at the mall for a shirt Ian wanted -- UnderArmor which I guess is the "in" item now. I was pooped when we finally got home! I'm not a shopper so it was work for me; glad I had Bob along to help!

"Gma" -- I hope all went well with your medical appointments yesterday! That's too bad about Jack's work shoes, and very frustrating! :( Bob likes a certain brand/style of boots and they are no longer made either. The couple we go to Maui with often order seafood but I don't so never pay attention to that part of the menu. I will next time just to see if crab cakes are there.

Susan -- Oh, man! It's a good thing we don't have a Red Lobster here or I would order cheesy biscuits to go! :o I am a bread and potato person -- my downfall for sure! When we lived in Cleveland I went to a fish market with a neighbor. I walked in and right back out! I was just pregnant and the smell was over whelming! Have fun at the tea!

Maggie -- :congrat: on not gaining an ounce while you were gone! It will be nice to have Will working WW with you! I hope you find out who sent the plant; what a nice gesture.

We are heading back to Sioux City for a funeral this afternoon. The deceased was a college friend of Bob's parents and Bob grew up with their kids. The funeral is in the church we belonged to when we lived in Sioux City; Jason and Amanda were married there. They have a bell choir and I've always wanted to go back to hear them play some Sunday. Maybe this will be the year!

Hope all is well with all of you today and you enjoy a fantastic Friday! :wave:

Maggie
11-08-2013, 06:12 PM

It is a very windy day here in the ♥-Land in the 60°s area and we are not doing much outdoors for sure. They told us that the winds were mighty when we were gone ~ guess that is what yanked our trellis archway that leads to a side door of the church building off the wall outside and not a kid swinging on it.

My new little toy is working like a charm now that the teckie helped me out so much to get it “fixed.” I can sure run the battery down quick by playing Monopoly on it :lol: so I’ll have to watch that. The mail system on it even looks different and better now that it is working like it should.

All our animals are back to their selves now and into their regular routines. It took Cecil the longest to get his self back though. He runs the other way when we open the back gate, if he is outside. The dogs will sit by that gate when we go somewhere and don’t take them, then they run back there when they hear the Jeep return and give us a good :welcome:

Tonight for dinner I am making a rice dish with some burger meat in it then have some fruit and veggies to go with it. Not anything exciting but yummy. :cp: We will soon get a frozen turkey breast when they get them in to roast for Thanksgiving. We can also get the whole berry cranberry sauce at that same time for it will be cheaper then and we can get several cans for we eat it at other times during the year. Also get several cans of pumpkin for we also use that during the year. I use it in other dishes and not just for pie. ;)

JEAN Those small refrigerators are so neat. We have one for sodas, small cans of V-8 and water. Sure keeps us from opening the big fridge often. Ours is a real small one that sits on a table. Sounds like you got your Christmas shopping all done already. Good to get those things that "all the kids" are wanting before they are sold out.

Jean
11-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Good Afternoon! Just a quick "hello" from here. I had a spur of the moment perm this morning, home long enough to change clothes and heading out again. We are going to a church Harvest supper and then a concert with Sons of the Pioneers. Amanda's mom got the tickets and invited us. We play bells tomorrow and have to be at church ready to practice by 7:30. I hope to relax after church!

Maggie -- We've had several windy days in a row and most of the trees (except our's) have lost their leaves. The wind blows them from yard to yard and right now our back yard is covered. :lol: I'm just getting a good start on my Christmas shopping! I still don't have a list from Zowie and have a few things left to get for the other kids. We give the big kids money plus a couple little things to unwrap: Amanda always gets a huge jar of dill pickles which are her favorite, and Jason likes the deluxe Kraft Mac 'n Cheese which isn't what Amanda buys so I make sure he gets a few boxes under the tree. Beth and Will change their lists from year to year. I'm glad I got as much done as I did though.

I need to change clothes and be ready to leave in a few minutes. The supper is put on by a church which has people go to the sanctuary, then they are escorted by rows to the basement to eat. The food is wonderful! :T Enjoy a super Saturday! :wave:

Maggie
11-09-2013, 06:58 PM

This day in the ♥-Land it is currently 57°s with 47% humidity with a 16-20 MPH wind blowing. I feel pretty much back to exact from that quick trip there and back to & from CA.

I was looking through the handouts I have gotten from WW and there is a recipe I am going to try this day. It is called “Mini Zucchini Quiche” and are made in those little cupcake pans and you put only 1T of the mix into each cup in the tray. They are only 1P+ each also and they say they freeze beautifully. The recipe makes 48 muffins and it looks like I can half it easily and make 24 since there are just the two of us. Here is some egg-cellent advice: Test an egg’s freshness by placing it in a bowl of water – if it lies flat, it’s fresh. Older eggs tend to stand on end, and really old eggs will float.

Later this day we need to go to our motor-home storage and put some anti-freeze in it so the water lines are safe. There are some of the items we have ordered to go in it that can be put in it also. Other items we can keep here in the house until we take a trip next spring. I want to wash some towels in my little washer and see how dry the dryer gets them and how long it takes. It will be interesting to find out how well they work before we do take a trip and need to use them. :yes:

We are rearranging the pictures in our front room to accommodate that cattle painting we brought back with us. Makes sense to balance out what we have.

Back again after awhile. We ran our errands before I finished this then I got busy making those mini muffins. They turned out yummy but I used papers in the cups and the muffins stuck tight to the papers. Next time I make them I will not:nono: use papers and will spray the pan for there will be a next time for Will likes them also. :cp: They will be great for a brunch or with some soup.

JEAN :thanks: for the clarification about your gift shopping. Somehow I got the impression you were through. I haven't even given it a start but have some thinking of what to get the folks I am getting gifts for. :p Have a good time at the Sons of the Pioneers. They are a great group and I have always enjoyed their music. They must be getting up in the years if it is the same men that I remember.

Jean
11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it feels like 35 degrees outside. The cat hater neighbor is out mowing leaves and we have three huge trees still full of leaves; Bob is hoping they blow next door when they finally drop. I don't know about the rest of the ringers, but I managed to get through my part of the bell choir piece without screwing it up. We played chimes along with the bells and right in the middle was "Taps" -- sort of a dumb arrangement imo. I have NO ambition to do anything today and could really use a nap. :yawn:

Maggie -- I just saw a recipe for an interesting muffin (?) :dunno: -- you make a brownie mix and a cookie recipe (they looked like chocolate chip); put a Tbsp. of brownie and top with a Tbsp. of cookie dough in the muffin cup. I think I read the egg hint somewhere along the line. I figure if the eggs have been in the refrigerator I can use them a bit past the date on the carton. We did enjoy the program last night. It's nice to recognize the lyrics! This must be a new "bunch" because none of them looked too "old." :lol:

I have laundry to haul downstairs so best get at it. I remember my grandma washing on Monday, ironing on Tuesday, etc., etc., etc. Banks are closed here tomorrow so we are counting at church on Tuesday. I may go ahead and pick up the gift shop money though, just to have that done.
Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and evening! :wave:

QuilterInVA
11-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Good evening, ladies! It got up to 68 today and the sun was out so not too bad.

Glory, Irene and I went to tea yesterday. As always, we had lots of fun. Today I did all the floors and laundry. Tomorrow is Applique bee at Bella.

Jean, Those dates on packages are not throw out dates. They are for when the stuff is to be pulled from the shelves. It's still good for several more days or even weeks if properly stored depending on the food.

Maggie, thanks for the info on eggs. I imagine outfitting the RV is like having a whole new canvas to get everything just the way you want it. I've made those mini quiche and I used the foil cupcake liners. They don't stick if you give then a small spray of Pam before filling.

Have a great evening.

Maggie
11-11-2013, 12:09 AM
♪♥♫GOOD NOVEMBER EVENING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

This was a 61° day with a low of 40°s and a 20% chance of rain so it didn’t rain.

Our WW meeting has changed location to a huge old church building so we will be going there come tomorrow. It will be interesting to find out how it will be laid out when we go tomorrow evening.

I’m telling you I get an itch on my back sometimes that I cannot reach. Yipekio, Will bought me a back scratcher. It is a bear claw and telescopes out. I keep it on my desk where it will be handy. I’d sure hate to be clawed by a real bear with claws like this one or any claws for that matter. I did feed crackers to bears when I was little and they came around our campsite but they put a stop to it and took those bears way up in the Sierras and turned them loose away from people. The bears had started to break into folks food and stealing it. They had learned to unscrew bottles also and back then we had milk in screw top bottles. Folks could find their food and belongings strewn all about the campsites. Now they have what is called “bear boxes” that folks can store their food items in and bears can’t get into them.

Nothing much going on here this day except church and dinner after both services ~ morning and evening.

JEAN I guess maybe those Sons of the Pioneers were sons of the sons that were the original group. Glad they were good and you enjoyed it. Yep tomorrow is Veterans day and lets salute them.

SUSAN[b] Sounds like a good outing you had with your friends. My mini cupcake pan in non stick so if I sprits some spay in the cups then it will work much better. My liners weren't tinfoil but paper and they sure clung tight but the muffins were still very tasty. Next time I will make the whole recipe since they freeze so well.

[b]DONNA FAYE You have been AWOL ~ hope all is well with you and yours.

Have a great night my Magnolia friends. :wave:
Always remember ~ A setback is only a setup for a comeback.

Jean
11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! We got about an inch of snow this morning! The streets are dry now but the lawns are hit 'n miss white. The wind is blowing and it's miserably cold outside! I did some laundry this morning and picked up the gift shop money. A friend stopped by, unexpectedly, this afternoon so had coffee with her and a nice visit. Bob is at practice and has a meeting, with pizza, right afterwards so guess I'm on my own for supper.

Susan -- Have fun at Bella's tonight! :D

Maggie -- When I was a kid we went to Yellowstone. My mom fed a bear through the slit in the car window! :eek: I can't believe my very cautious mother would do that but we have pictures to prove it. We didn't camp however. Good luck at WW tonight.

I need to put my gift shop books away and clear off the island . . . again. Hope you all enjoy your evening! :wave:

Maggie
11-11-2013, 11:35 PM
♪♥♫GOOD NOVEMBER NIGHT MAGNOLIAS☺♫

I thought I posted today but it isn’t here so I guess I didn’t. Duh. I showed a point 2 of a #↑ which I am so pleased with because I was wearing heavy clothing for it is cold here this evening so I am blaming my uppage on that.lol: Will actually went and we didn’t stay for the meeting but we plan on “weigh in” each week when we can. I have been at this so long he feels like I can answer any questions he may have about the program. The hand-outs will be helpful for him to read and I know he can do it. We bought a bunch of the boxes of snack foods there for they were two for one cost and a cookbook I didn’t have called Simply Solo. I am so glad they don’t plan on changing the program around this go round and it will stay the same and more new cookbooks should show up, or books I don’t have anyway. I am a sucker for WW cookbooks ~ gotta have them.

JEAN SNOW ~ you got snow before Thanksgiving. The frost will be on the pumpkin for sure. Isn't it fun to have friends to "drop" in and have a nice chat. Pretty soon before we know it Thanksgiving will be over and all the Christmas lights will be twinkling. I love to drive through the neighborhoods at night and look at all the nicely decorated homes. Won't be long now. Now that I know more about bears I don't want to be that close to them ever again. :no: Got to be careful and remember that begging for them is a learned behavior and it is the humans fault for teaching them that, but back then we didn't know.

Have a great night my Magnolia friends. :wave:

gma22
11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Good morning gals. I haven't deserted you, just have had some things to deal with. I am waiting for a call hopefully today, from my doctor to give me the news on what is going on with me. I have an appt the 22 with the new gyn because I am back where I started so we have to figure out something else because I can't take more of this and the other too.

Jack was off work for Veteran's Day yesterday and we went to lunch at McAlisters and then to see Las Vegas, which was a really cute movie. I had a turkey on wheat with lett and tom and brown mustard, a small veggie chili which was horrible as the beans were hard, and a side of fruit, which was oranges sections, a couple pieces of pineapple and honeydew, which I hate. So, I ate the oranges and the pineapple. :lol: I haven't been doing WW for a while now. I do use the pts though to keep track of how many calories I should be in. I am using an exchange program and have my foods slotted in so that I am balanced. Frankly, it is tough because I don't just eat whatever I want, I have to eat so many fruits, veg, etc and so I have a balanced meal everyday. It is other stuff too, which I will explain later. My dd lurks sometimes here and if what I suspect is going to be my diagnosis, I want to tell the kids face to face.

Well, as far as my knee, I have a torn meniscus and a torn acl, which the acl is what is making the feeling of the knee popping in and out. The clinic has gone to a computer system instead of paper files and she put all the info about my knee in so when I go in next time and take a handicap placard request she can fill it out and I can take to the county clearks and get a parking pass. It is basically for when I am alone shopping.

I finished sock one and have started sock two. I had Jack try it on as he wears the same size and it fit, but Thomas's calves are so skinny I don't know if they will stay up on him. I will post a pick when they are done.

Only 3 weeks and the kids will be here for a few days. I can't wait to see them and be with Kelly, Tom, and Thomas too.

The couple we made friends with on the first cruise called last night wanting to know our room number as I forgot to give it to her. Her husband is all excited about booking (they use a travel agent I guess) and he told her to call and not email. So we talked a bit and I gave her the info. He is an ocean view balcony cabin kind of guy but the prices were up there. Well, Jack went into the site and found the price for an ocean view balcony dropped about $300 and was cheaper than the cabin we had booked, which was an interior view cabin so I told him to hurry and change it. Hopefully, since they are still vacant, they can get a cabin on either side of us.

Maggie: We are going to get a hard frost tonight they said. It is super windy here today, but won't turn cold until Wed then the highs are supposed to only get into the upper 30's. :brr: The only bears I ever encountered were in a zoo. We are not campers! :lol:

Susan: Sounds like the tea was fun. We had a lady at our church who was British once removed so to speak and whenever we would have missionary week would do a high tea. I always loved it, lots of teas to pick from and scones and things I normally didn't have.

Jean: Ugh, snow! I think Jay and his family probably got some. They were predicting lake effect snow for them, which basically usually means a lot not a little. It is so sad summer has gone so fast, but it is either summer goes by fast and the cruise is close or summer goes slow and we wait and wait. :lol: We are cruising about three weeks earlier next year. Is Maui next year?? Jack has blown out some of our leaves, but we seem to have a yard full yet and the tree still has leaves. We are going to work on that this weekend and get the bushes trimmed and such.

Well girls, I am going back to knitting for a bit then start on my chores and cleaning. I have a load of laundry that sounds like it is done in the washer and another load to put in so better get to that. You all have a nice Tuesday. Faye

QuilterInVA
11-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Good afternoon, ladies! It was 53 degrees about 10 am and has now slid down to 42 and still falling - and a few snow flurries just to let us know winter is here. I did not want to see snow even if it doesn't stick. Its going to be a long, cold winter and that means I won't be outside but to run to the car and back.

Tonight is quilt guild and we'll have dinner at Anna's before hand.

Faye, I'm so sorry your female problems have come back and your knee problems. Thank goodness they didn't interfer with your fun on the cruise. Its nice to make friends you can cruise with year after year. In the long run, your exchange diet is much healthier than just eating what you want for you will get adequate nutrition from your foods.

Jean, busy with your volunteer jobs again! I'll bet you are busier now than when you were working.

Maggie, I bought a 12-cup muffin tine with silicon cupcake liners yesterday at Ollie's Outlet. My question for you, since it came with no directions, is does the silicon have to be sprayed or will it release without it?

Have a wonderful day!

Jean
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Good Afternoon, Flowers! The wind has died down a tiny bit but it is COLD even though the sun is shining brightly and not a cloud in sight. It was 4 degrees when I went downstairs this morning! This old body isn't ready for that! We had lots of money to count this morning at church. Somehow two bags of money from last week were put in another drawer and we didn't see them; the secretary found them when she was looking for something else. I should run a couple errands but think I will wait until it warms up in a day or two!

Maggie -- You will have the minute gain gone, plus friends, by next week. :yes: I am surprised that WW isn't changing something, adding or deleting, something from the program for next year. I thought they always tried to do something new to entice new members to join.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about your health challenges :( and hope the doctor has a better plan to fix it this time. Do you exchange foods within a group, or how does the exchange plan work? Is the only knee fix a replacement? Yes, we are heading back to Maui in February. We are renting the same condo as last time but won't spend part of the time in the luxury resort as before; I am bummed about that but for $2000+ for a week, I'll suffer.

Susan -- I'm sharing my cold weather with my southeastern friends! You are right about being busier than when I was working. I sure don't seem to get much done at home. Since I was gone this morning there's no point in starting any big projects now. ;) Have fun at quilt guild tonight.

I have another load of laundry to fold and need to do some leftover lunch dishes that wouldn't fit in the dishwasher. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day! :wave:

Maggie
11-12-2013, 07:10 PM

It is a very chilly day here in the ♥-Land and that is a fact. We went out to lunch with some friends and I only ate half of my serving so am back on my program with tracking and writing what I bite. I really now enjoy eating a salad now days without any dressing at all. I have some small thick pork chops thawing for dinner which I will stuff with dressing and bake. I’ll serve them with a salad and green beans for a nice dinner.

The dogs look so nice for they had a bath and trim today and they are smelling good ~ for awhile anyway. :lol: Beanie is so active he loses that nice smell quickly. Cecil is happy now to have his dogs back once again. I still laugh about seeing him make a bee-line to and through the back door from the back fence on a fast run. I am so glad that back storm door wasn’t closed for he would have broken his neck. Plus if he hadn’t had good brakes he would have entered that doggie door and gone right down the steps to the basement. I have truly never seen him run so fast.

Our new replacement for the Jeep’s front end stabilizer came today so we have an appointment to have it installed tomorrow for they have the proper tool to remove the existing one with. That is a special item that every mechanic doesn’t have and Will certainly doesn’t have a need to own one so our favorite guy can do it nicely for he has that specialty tool. Hopefully the small caged lights that go on the front bumper rail above the wench arrive tomorrow and he can go ahead and install them also. The bumper came with holes in which to mount them and they will need to be wired to the system somehow.

JEAN We also have a no wind day today which is so nice with a cloudless sky. I was also surprised that when I asked at WW what the new program changes were and was told there aren't any. However, I am glad that they didn't change the program but will have some new products.

SUSAN I think the silica acts as a liner itself for I have used it before w/out liners with good results. I just wanted liners on the mini muffins and they stuck to the muffins tightly for they weren't foil lined. This particular recipe will be made without liners next time unless I get some foil ones. :p

DONNA FAYE I do hope your doctor doesn't have any upsetting news for you and what ever is going on with your system can be fixed. I have one of those parking permits and it sure comes in handy when I want to go in somewhere so we can park closer then when I just wait in the vehicle.

Have a great afternoon/evening my Magnolia friends. :wave:

gma22
11-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Good morning everyone. It is cold here this morning! :( I think it was 27 when Jack left for work with a wind chill of 20. Man where did summer go? We didn't even get to ease into it. Utility bills are going to be high this winter I imagine.

Coming along on his sock. I am working on the leg at the moment.

I haven't heard from the doctor and I sure hope she calls today. I just want to find out what is going on and deal with it though I am pretty sure I know what it is. It is tough for patients to have to wait on a dr's timeline and we have no way of talking to our drs and leaving a message is fruitless because most of the time they never get it. Ahh well....

Jean: My exchange program is kind of multi faceted. It is based on a calorie total, ie, 1800 cal per day, then that is converted into exchanges. You have fat, meat, veg, fruit, milk,starch and depending on your calorie intake it is divided up so you basically eat pretty healthy. For example, my diet is 10st, 3fr,7meat, 3fat, 3veg, 2milk for the day. You then have each meal with a certain amount of whatever ie my breakfast is 1 milk, 1st, 1fruit, 1 fat. I also have food lists where I look up what one serving of milk is, in this case 1 c. It covers pretty much any food you would eat. It can be tough to stay on, but for me it is better because I don't eat junk food and count the pts I eat a balanced diet. You can eat what you want, for instance they have donuts on the food list, but I prefer to eat as well as I can. Dr Bruijn said they can repair the tears, which is what Jack's doctor did with his knee, but once they tear, they can tear again, etc. I would imagine the only long term solution would be knee replacement, but I am not sure I am up for that though I like Jack's surgeon a lot.

Maggie: Jack had the oil changed on Monday and with a coupon it cost $50. You probably have to have 6 qts instead of 5 like we do since you have a Jeep and they gouge you. They charge you by the oz or something like that and it cost $7 for the extra qt, which made Jack mad. We have been going to Firestone for years, but I told him to check the dealership to see about pricing on an oil change and a tuneup. They quoted us $400 to remove the old and replace the new spark plugs. That is insane!!! Hope the pets still smell good. Fortune's smell never lasted long either and he was a quiet dog.

Susan: I have some silicone baking stuff and I hate the stuff. It will stain the baking cups or baking sheets if you spray them, but I found though they say they don't they stick without it. I guess you will just have to try a batch without and see how they do. I am pretty well fed up with the female stuff. It is back to the point where it is basically like having a period, but all the time and it never stops. Ridiculous and I am going to see what this new dr has in mind. I think taking it out is the solution, multiple surperies on my part of not. What they are doing isn't working and should after a year and a half. I can't have the Novasure as my uterus is too long so taking it out seems the way to go. We shall see as I go to the gyn a week from Friday.

You all have a great day. I am going to bundle up and knit for awhile. Faye

Jean
11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's 23 degrees "warmer" than yesterday morning but still "feels" like 15 degrees outside. :brr: If only the wind would go away! I have lunch bunch this noon and bell choir later this afternoon. I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night although I think maybe I got a couple hours, or less, towards morning. I hate nights like that and thankful they don't happen very often. I didn't eat nor drink anything out of the ordinary last night but did have a short cat nap later in the evening. I thought I was tired when I went to bed, but guess not.

Maggie -- Hope all of your Jeep parts can be installed at once so you don't have to make multiple trips. Where both of our vehicles are serviced, one just remodeled and the other is new; there are big screen tvs plus food and drink choices. The service work never takes long so I just get settled and it's time to go again. I think Sonny and Cecil would have a good time chasing each other around. Every once in awhile Sonny gets a wrinkle somewhere and tears around like something is chasing him. He slides around the corners on the smooth floor -- to funny to watch. Ernie just sits by and watches him fly by. :lol:

"Gma" -- I hope the doctor's office calls you first thing today. There is nothing worse than waiting for someone to call back. Our hospital coffee shop, which is where the gift shop is located, has a few bakery items to go with the coffee. They always look so inviting and it's very tempting to say the least. When we work in the gift shop we can have a treat and coffee as our "pay" for working. I've never indulged but sure am tempted sometimes. The bakeries in the grocery stores are not nearly as good as the downtown bakery and I avoid that place at all cost. :yes:

I need to get dressed and do some more laundry. I don't know how I got so far behind but I sure did. Out of sight out of mind, I guess. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful warm Wednesday! :wave:

QuilterInVA
11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Good morning, ladies. 37 degrees right now and not going much higher. Going to be down in the 20s tonight. Brr!

Nothing happening today but the Y to workout.

Faye, here's a link to ACL injury. If you remember, I tore my ACL a couple of years ago (an meniscus another time). The ACL is a ligament and it will heal but you need to have a brace and do PT to strengthen it. There's a good picture on the link. Replacing the knee would not help an ACL injury or be necessary.

http://ehealthmd.com/acl-tears/what-can-be-done-acl-tear#axzz2kXS2Zrqc

No one looks forward to surgery, but you sure have tried it all and this needs to end! Can it be done laproscopically?

Jean, you can keep you cold and snow. I saw a few flakes yesterday but it was too warm for any accumulation. Wish I could find a couple of money bags I forgot about around here!

Hi Maggie!

Keep warm and have a great day!

QuilterInVA
11-13-2013, 11:24 AM
http://ehealthmd.com/acl-tears/what-can-be-done-acl-tear#axzz2kXS2Zrqc

Faye, the link above tells you about ACL injury and what is done for it - brace and exercise to strengthen it even if surgery is down the path in the future. It's basically a tear in the ligament so a knee replacement would do nothing for it. I tore mine about 2 years ago - crutches and brace and I still use a brace for some of the stuff I do at the Y. It keeps it in place. My doctors know I am very proactive about my health and if I call, they call me back or know they will have an irate patient in the office the next day.

Jean, I take my car to the dealer (15% discount for seniors) and they have a lovely waiting room, too. Snacks, coffee, tea, cold drinks, tv and magazines and comfortable chairs. The time passes quickly.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day, I'm off to the gym. Keep warm!

gma22
11-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Ok ladies here's the scoop since I have told my kids. I was finally called back this morning. Let me digress so you can understand how truly angry I am. Because I have two siblings and a mother who died of diabetic complications, I have my A1C level checked twice a year. In August it was 6.4 which is borderline you should be 6 or below, but my doctor at the time said we would keep an eye on it. In February I had a new dr who is my current one and we did another A1C. She said if all was the same or ok I wouldn't hear from her and I didn't. Well, my former gyn had the file at the time when the results came in, put them in the file and had it refiled instead of giving it to my regular dr. My
A1C was 8.5!!!!!. I assumed all was ok. My female stuff had stopped completely the 10th of June so everything was hunky dorey. Gyn left the practice and gave me a prescription for the hormone double the dosage and said it could be filled if I started bleeding again. The second week of Sept it came roaring back with spotting, bloody tissue and blood clotting so I filled the prescription and took it everyday without fail. A week or so before the cruise I started having urge incontinence problems that were bad. I would stand up and urinate all over myself and couldn't stop it. I wore pads all the time but sometimes it just wasn't enough. I wet on myself several times on the cruise and I knew what was up because the urine was sweet smelling. I called my dr and got in as soon as I could, which was last Friday. She did a stick test in my urine and said I was spilling huge amounts of sugar. She did several blood tests including my tryglcerides, cholesterol, hdl and ldl, my liver and kidney function and my sodium potassium and another A1C test. (all except the A1C level were excellent btw) I got a call from PEM this morning, which is the pharmacy teaching group so I had my answer since the dr didn't call. I am so very, very angry on more than one level. On Friday my A1c was 14.2, my glucose on an empty stomach of 8 hours was 376!!!! On top of that I found out from an article my daughter sent me more about the drug and blood sugar levels : "Before taking this medicine tell your doctor…If you have diabetes. Megestrol may increase your blood sugar and change your insulin needs. You and your doctor may need to watch your glucose levels closely while you are getting this drug. Megestrol can affect your blood glucose (sugar) levels. A few people even develop diabetes while taking this drug. If you notice dry mouth, unexplained thirst, poor appetite, and increased urination, talk to your doctor. If you have diabetes, watch your blood sugar carefully." The gyn over 18 months of taking this drug never once checked my blood sugar. She didn't give the Feb test to my regular doctor and we could have started my plan back then. Kelly said I should possibly file a lawsuit. She said with the gyn knowing my family history and my obesity they should have never put me on a chronic dosage. On top of that, she doubled the dosage from 20 to 40 mg. It is extremely possible this drug helped push me right over the edge. So, I have an appt a week from tomorrow to get things rolling. I would have liked to get in sooner but that was their first appt. Jack is going to go with me which is great as he can be part of this all and ask all the questions he wants to.

I am ok about contracting the disease. I am already on the diabetic diet, which is where I got the exchange program in the first place a year ago and am really proactive about health stuff so I will deal with this, but frankly the part that scared me is thinking about what could have happened on the ship!!!

QuilterInVA
11-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I wrote my first post today and it came up twice so I deleted one and both disappeared so I wrote the second one and now I see two again. I guess my eyesight is going.

Faye, I'm really sorry you have had to go through all this. You know the ADA changed their stand and is now on board with a low carb diet. Once you get on medication, things should start resolving. It's a good thing you changed your diet. You may be able to get off meds after losing more weight and with a consistent exercise program. Write down all your questions and take notes when you have your appointment. I always read all the fine print on the medications I am taking and do research on the internet for side affects. The doc was a little upset with me when I told him I was stopping Fosamax but there is too much evidence that it causes spontaneous thigh bone breaks and not enough good to offset it.

Jean
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is trying to shine through hazy clouds and it's a "warm" 32 degrees with a slight breeze blowing. It's supposed to be in the 50s this afternoon so I am hoping the weatherman was right. I have crafty club this afternoon and a meeting at church tonight. I need to dust and vacuum this morning.

Susan -- I so admire your commitment to exercise! :cheer: I don't think there is any place around here that gives senior discounts except the usual McDs., and the grocery stores on certain days. We have way too many people in this state who think everything is FREE and don't hesitate to ask for anything they might want let alone need. :(

"Gma" -- What can I say but I'm so sorry! You have every right to be so angry and I wouldn't blame you for filing a lawsuit! :no: I now hope you will get some satisfaction from your next doctor's appointment! With Amanda's mom being a long time diabetic, Bob's brother since he was 11, and now Amanda, I know how important it is to be aware of the disease, the symptoms, numbers, and meds. :hug:

I need to round up the extra wastebasket contents and bag them for the garbage collection today. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday! November is flying by so fast! :wave:

QuilterInVA
11-14-2013, 10:42 AM
This thread is closed. Please join us at Steel Magnolias #64.