Exercise! - Noteworthy November Running!

View Full Version : Noteworthy November Running!

Lizzyg
11-03-2013, 11:29 AM
:^: I hope it's ok that I started the November thread - I didn't see one yet.

I did 3 miles yesterday. 3 slow crappy miles. I had planned to do 6 or more but my calf on my left leg is really sore and I'm not really sure why. So I cut it short to avoid hurting myself more.

I'd like to go today but think I need to take today off from running :mad: or any exercise that strains my calf.

Stupid leg!

slimmingsi
11-03-2013, 11:54 AM
3 crap miles is still 3 miles.

I did 3miles yesterday with the other half, she is very slow and walks more than runs. I kept at her pace throughout and bounced on my toes all the way. Today my calves are screaming!

CherryPie99
11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I had a goal this morning to get 18 done. I felt great the first few miles, but it was really cold (30 degrees) and extremely windy. My hands - even with gloves on - got really cold about 8 miles in and were killing me by mile 12. I ran the last 4 miles straight into the wind and finally surrendered when I passed my house at 17.28 miles. After a shower and excellent lunch I'm mad at myself for not finishing up the .75 miles!!!

Jen

monmis12
11-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Great Job Running!

CherryPie, I'm in awe! If I ever get up to running that much, I think it would only be in marathon training.

About my 5k yesterday... I'm still annoyed about the "you did so great we don't have a medal for you because we didn't order one" They said they'd have it made and mail it to me but still:dizzy:

I did two 5ks a weekend for several weekends in a row(I think 6) until I decided if one is fun two is not necessary more fun:) Besides I need my Sundays for a long run.

I did a long run in a park about 30 minutes from me. It was amazing. Its a forest so tons of trees, very little traffic(saw a few cyclists), and the changing colors on the leaves were just beautiful! I'm from VT so this was the closest I was going to get to Fall up there. Oh, and did I mention hills! This park has mega hills! I ran up and down several with a few flats mixed in. My husband had friends camping there so I used mapmyrun to decide my route and he dropped me off and I finished 7.5 miles at the camp.

Slight foot pain in formally injured foot(plantar fasciitis like). Probably due to the constant up and down motion on the hills. Its time to switch shoes I think too.

kelijpa
11-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Planning to start tomorrow, hoping this thread will help me overcome shyness getting on treadmill at the gym at work after work, thanks for the inspiration!
:sunny:

lm3898
11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Sorry for late start starting... actually Lizzy going forward would you want to take over the monthly thread??

IanG
11-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I love this thread! I did not have time to run 10k today (I am traveling abroad for work) but did manage to get a cheeky "fast" 5k in before lunch in the hotel gym. Started running at 10.5km/hour (sorry, there's no mph on the running machine here in Belgium) and finished at 12.4km/hour. Took about 26 minutes including my usual 0.1km walk warm up at the beginning.

I am hoping to get up early tomorrow to run my usual 10k. That takes about 57 minutes.

My usual rule is to leave at least 24 full hours before running again but I am guessing the cheeky 5k won't count.

Rhiko
11-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Did my first 12km run yesterday and believe my body didn't like that! Came home on the verge of spewing my guts out and my hips were sore. Oh well, at least I got to watch some men playing soccer... half were topless :D

Lizzyg
11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Sorry for late start starting... actually Lizzy going forward would you want to take over the monthly thread??

Oh I'm sorry! I hope I didn't step on any toes!

gatorgirl6
11-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Well, I've started my 16 wk half marathon training. Two easy runs each week and a long one on the weekends. I will be traveling for basically the whole month of November, so i will get a tour of boring hotel gyms. I'm not sure what pace to run / train at. I think I normally run slower than I should - but it's hard to gauge how fast is good vs too fast.

Riddy
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM
I did a short for me COLD run today. It was an unseasonable low 20s out this morning! I got in 30 minutes (just over 2.5 miles) before the breeze and runny nose made me nuts. :o

Here's hoping for a longer, warmer run later this week.

IanG
11-05-2013, 01:38 AM
I just ran 10k in the hotel gym. Nice.

Now for some breakfast.

ms cloud
11-05-2013, 05:33 AM
2 nov - me and my sister usually run together but that time she couldn't, so I'm happy that I finally did it by myself for the first time without losing motivation :D ran about 2.16 miles (according to my nike+ app)

3 nov - did about 2.21 with my sis

today (holiday!) - ran alone again *sobs* for about 2.23 miles (only increased a little lol)

I'm still nowhere compared to you guys but will keep going on! :woops:

Lizzyg
11-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Super short today - 1.5 miles. My calf still feels tight and off. I also really had to go to the bathroom ;) lol. But my leg is feeling better so I'm going to keep taking it easy this week and hopeully by the weekend it'll feel normal.

lm3898
11-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh I'm sorry! I hope I didn't step on any toes!

Oh no! Sorry not at all, I've just been slacking on this thread b/c my running has dramatically slowed...I'm PREGNANT lol. So I'm hoping someone might want to pick it up for me :) If you can't or don't want to let me know, no biggie! :hug:

krampus
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
You're WHAT? Congratulations! This is news!

I signed up for my first 5K. Managed to pound out 5K in 25:01 on a treadmill today which blows almost 2 minutes off my previous "good time." The course is very flat, on pavement. It will be cold.

Can folks comment on treadmill time vs road time? I should probably not expect to match my treadmill time on a real road, right?

lm3898
11-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Thank you, yes I am!! With my first! I'm SO excited, we actually saw the heart beat on Friday so that's great news they say! The only downside is my running has slowed to a crawl. This first tri is killing me....my poor boobies are sore as anything, I can't stay awake past 8 p.m. and the nausea...all worth it of course but running has fallen to the wayside, the only exercise now is walking to & from work about 2 miles/day...hopefully I can pick it back up in the 2nd tri so I can be healthy!

Good luck on your 5k!!!!

CherryPie99
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM

I signed up for my first 5K. Managed to pound out 5K in 25:01 on a treadmill today which blows almost 2 minutes off my previous "good time." The course is very flat, on pavement. It will be cold.

Can folks comment on treadmill time vs road time? I should probably not expect to match my treadmill time on a real road, right?

First off, LM, wow and congrats!

For me, and from what I've read, most people are way faster on the road then on the tready.

I have the day off due to election day. I got in 8 miles this morning, but it was WINDY!

In other news I just bought my first pair of non-Vibrams! I love the Vibrams but I just can't do them in freezing temps! So my new ones are New Balance 1400 - minimal, but more like real sneaks. So here's my question - I've never worn socks!!! Anyone have any recommendations?

Jen

Mrs Snark
11-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Krampus, I think you could go out and run a comparable time on the road, if all falls into place (as in people aren't in your way, you take the corners well, etc.) Usually race excitement will keep your pace up. Start near the front with that pace or you'll be trapped behind slower folks even after you cross the start line!

Good luck!

IanG
11-05-2013, 05:54 PM
On the road I can blow my treadmill time to bits. I can do a 10k on the treadmill in 55 minutes best. Outside, with air cooling and competition my fastest 10k was in 50 minutes. Same goes for 5k. You should be able to kill that time. But be careful with the cold. My muscles have a real hard time warming up when temps get down to the 50s without special gear (gloves, compression tights, long sleeves) but that all adds weight.

devadiva
11-05-2013, 08:03 PM
IM3898 Congrads!
Krampus: you will knock it out of the park
Ian: You have great times
Cherry : AS ALWAYS YOU WOW ME!
Waves to all else you are all doing great!

As for me spent the first couple days of the month in Vegas seeing a DR for a second opinion...Long and short is ,my leg and constant foot pain is due to my back {which doesn't hurt a bit} This is the second Neuosurgen who has recommended decompression surgrey,my nerves are being pinched due to a bulging disc. So will have it done mid Dec. {due to work commtment I need to wait until then} HARD PART after surgrey NO exercise or anything much for 6 weeks!

So trying to get a few more pounds down and get in TIP TOP shape before SO I don't go nuts.
Ran 6.2 on Sunday and have been doing weights Yoga ab work ect everyday! will run tommarro.

Riddy
11-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Krampus, good luck on your first race! Which one are you doing? (I'm in Ballston Spa)

Jen, I'm a total sock snob, and I hate toe seams. My cheap favorites are Champion c9 from Target - the thin no shows that come in left and right - about $9 for 2 pairs. For pricey socks, I love Smartwool and Balega.

If the weather cooperates, I'm running tomorrow before work.

IanG
11-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks devadiva.

And Riddy, I am gonna check out some nice socks. Never thought of that.

Did another 10k on the treadmill today.

10k a day. That's what I aim for, normally with one rest day a week and a longer run at the weekend if possible.

monmis12
11-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Wow this thread is busy!

Congrats LM!

Ian-You are like me! I always work out when out of town.

Diva, hope you get some relief.

Krampus, good luck at your 5k.

Lizzyg-Sorry about the calf:( Hey, I think all of us runners understand the bathroom issue;)

On Sunday, I ran a very hilly 7.4 miles in a state park. By the end, I was sore! I felt a twinge in my knee and some discomfort in my foot that I injured several weeks ago. It went away overnight but I think I'll need to hold my long run at that if I continue to do it at the park.

Monday was a rest day.

Tuesday, I ran 5.4 miles afterwork. As I've said before, its hard for me to run after work but I do think I get a better run in compared to my early morning runs. So, I've decided to alternate.

This morning, I ran 5 miles.

So, I asked for some advice on another board about how to continue to better my time... I was told more miles which is what I thought. Actually doing so seems difficult though. I am just not sure if I have the energy:(

Rhiko
11-06-2013, 08:57 AM
ms cloud: We all had to start from zero :) You're doing a great job.

lm3898: :congrat:

krampus
11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Krampus, good luck on your first race! Which one are you doing? (I'm in Ballston Spa)

Oh nice! I'll be in Troy. I wouldn't do it if I weren't a five minute walk away from the starting line ;)

CherryPie99
11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a lot of us are going to start off Thanksgiving right!

I ran my first Turkey Trot in 2011 - my time was 32:47
2012 my time improved to to 24:12.
Hoping to come in under 24 this year!!!

devadiva
11-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Ran 3.5 this morning...all your times WOW me!

Riddy
11-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I did a respectable 5k today - 38 minutes. Not nearly my best time, but I worked hard with my trainer yesterday. I never expect anything great the day or 2 after he kicks my butt. ;)

I'll be running a turkey trot this year, too. Last year was my first one, and it didn't go well. I had gotten back from Ireland the Sunday before :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup: complete with a cold and a sore foot. This year I want to rock it!

IanG
11-07-2013, 04:24 AM
I signed up for my first 5k yesterday (a Turkey trot).

Can't wait.

Did 10k in the gym today in 58 minutes. I am starting to tire so will take a rest day tomorrow. I also fly to Istanbul tomorrow so a rest day will fit nicely into the schedule.

Tabbycat
11-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Tabbycat here.

I did a gentle 3 mile trot tonight just before sundown.

I don't have a 5K fun run until Dec 7. I'd like to do a Turkey Trot but I'll be miles from any that I could locate online... at my mother's farmhouse.

monmis12
11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Count me in on the Turkey Trot although I think its called Chase The Turkey. I'll be out of town and was excited to find one relatively near by.

I ran 5.4 miles today after work. Then I went grocery shopping followed by making chocolate chip cookies for my FIL. I'm exhausted!

Rhiko
11-08-2013, 02:58 AM
I only managed barely managed 4.8km today because it was mostly up hill, with one monster gradient. I thought I was being brave... Oh well, I'll work on my speed next time to prepare for this 6km run on the 17th :D

Tabbycat
11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
This morning I jogged to the park, did three half-mile laps there, and jogged back home. Not sure exactly how far it is to the park, but I was going at my usual jogging pace and I got back home in 42 minutes, so I think I can claim 3 miles total.

monmis12
11-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Ran a small 5k race that had a 15k going on at the same time. The 15k was much more competitive and had more runners. I got first in my age group and ran it right at 28 min 28 seconds. I was the third woman to cross the finish line.

CherryPie99
11-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi runners!

Interesting day yesterday - I did my first run ever in non-Vibram kicks! 7 miles and it felt great. I bought the New Balance 1400's.

Going to give them a go on my long run tomorrow and see what happens!!

Thanks for the sock advice, Riddy. I went to Target today and they had some moisture wicking supportive socks, although not the kind you mentioned. I'll be trying them tomorrow, too.

Jen

PollifaxFive
11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi fellow runners. I was pretty proud of myself yesterday. This summer I used the Couch to 5k plan to work up to thirty minutes of straight running on the elliptical, and a few months ago, started transitioning to running outside. My goal was to run for a straight thirty minutes, and yesterday I completed that goal!

Tabbycat
11-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Wow, P-Five! I am very impressed! I can't even do 3 miles in 35 minutes, and you can do 4 in 30!

I did 2 miles this morning. I don't usually run again the next day after I went 3 miles (I'm almost 58 and need some recovery time for my knees) but the weather is nice and I went slow.

monmis12
11-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Well I skipped the state park due to the 35 min drive each way. I opted for a 10 mile loop starting from my house. Much more convenient. Had a great run. Right at a 10 min mile and was able to run the whole way and feel like I could do more.

I'm signing up for a half marathon on December 1st. Timing wise its perfect as its on the way back from where I'll be spending Thanksgiving. There are not many halfs to choose from right now and training wise, I think I'm ready.

I wish I didn't have to drive home(6 hours) the same day and then go to work the next day but oh well!

IanG
11-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I have been doing "fast" 5ks every day for the last 4 days.

I am in Turkey at the moment for work and real busy. A 10k takes too long to fit in so I am compromising with 5ks and dialing up the speed. I started today at 7mph and finished at 9mph. That's quick for me!

Does anyone have advice on distance versus speed? I really like running the shorter distance faster but don't want to lose the stamina to run longer.

Am I screwing up?

CherryPie99
11-10-2013, 01:49 PM
You're not "screwing up", but all things considered it's usually better for endurance, stamina, etc to run further rather then faster.

Riddy
11-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Jen, I hope you like your new socks.

Ian, your speed amazes me.

Pollifax, congratulations! I was pretty proud of myself the first time I ran 30 minutes straight last summer. Keep it up!

I did a long (for me) 45 minute run on Saturday. My speed was pretty good for me, so I got in 3.7 miles.

Not sure when I'll run again - between the weather and my favorite yoga classes, it might not be til Thursday.

Tabbycat
11-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I did a slow 2 mile trot tonight... would have liked to go 3 miles but it got DARK and I didn't feel comfortable in the dark. Had some car issues earlier and was late getting home, so I didn't get started until 5:45.

devadiva
11-11-2013, 09:29 PM
2 miles with pup on Fri Today 3.3 working her back up she got spayed 21/2 weeks ago.

Rhiko
11-11-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm so nervous... My first running comp is on Sunday and I'm scared I'm not doing enough to prepare! For some reason, my body has decided that 2kms is too much. My comp is 6kms and so far I've been able to do 12km... I think it's either my hayfever or PMS symptom... :mad:

monmis12
11-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Rhiko, Good luck at your race. You'll do fine!

Tabbycat, Great run. I understand about the darkness. I'm limited to where I run because of that.

Diva-Hope your dog is doing well!

Well, after my 10 miles on Sunday, I had some discomfort in my previous injured foot. Not pain really and not bad. I did not take anything for it but I did ice it. I rested yesterday and its feeling fine today. It only flares up on long run.

I'm running after work today-5 miles. The weather here is crazy. The temps are dropping during the day and its supposed to be 41 F although it will feel like 29 F! Brrrr.

PollifaxFive
11-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Devadiva, I'm so jealous! I would love a little dog to jog beside me. Great job on the ten mile, monmis12. I'm very impressed! And yes, it is definitely getting cold here too. I whipped out my brother's ironic 90s-kids-movie sweatshirt to bulk up against the weather. It's the only item of clothing I have that is both A) something I'm willing to get sweaty, and B) thick enough for cold weather. I need to go shopping for some real clothes.

I'm proud of myself for the run itself today, because it was outside and I managed again to pull off running for thirty minutes straight. Doing it a second time means that this is actually something that can be a consistent practice and that the first time wasn't just good luck, haha. On top of which, I controlled my breath during the run and recovered it much better afterwards, despite the cold conditions (Thanks to some good advice from the forums about slowing down.) I have no idea what number of miles it was, because my map seem incorrect for how slow I was going versus the number of miles I did, but I ran the park twice. That was the same distance I was doing with interval running and walking. I partly credit changing my playlist. They're no longer five minute running songs and three minute walking songs. Anyway, I'm pleased. :D

CherryPie99
11-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Congrats PollifaxFive!

I just got back from a 7 miler that almost didn't happen - it snowed last night and when I came into work this morning the sidewalks were covered in ice.

But the sun came out late this morning and I decided to chance it - they were about 90% clear. It was really cold - 30 degrees and windy, but I was flying. 7 miles at 7:56 MM.

One of my better times and not bad for having to take it easy in places as to not wipeout!!

Jen

krampus
11-12-2013, 04:23 PM
WOW that's some fast mileage Jen!

I ran 5K on treadmill in 24:30 this morning, so just over 8 minute miles. Fastest ever. Two weeks til the Turkey Trot!

IanG
11-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Thanks Jen for the advice.

I did 10k yesterday and found I could cover that easier after doing the fast 5ks as going slower was more comfortable, especially on my joints.

Did a fast 5k again today though as there was just not enough time to run the distance and get ready for work.

Back to 10ks soon.

monmis12
11-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Had a great run yesterday after work. Did a little over 5 miles right at a 10 min mile.

This am, I did 5 miles before work. It was cold but I was not during my run. Temperature was around 28 degrees F. I wore heavy running tights and a heavier type under armour shirt. I also wore some thin knit gloves. Strength training after work.

devadiva
11-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Ran on Sat did a local 5k.

CherryPie99
11-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Finally hit my goal of 18 miles yesterday! My time was really pretty good, too - 2:29:23. But boy, my Achilles is paying for it today!

Jen

lm3898
11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

FINALLY managed to do some sort of workout - 2 miles walk/running over the weekend. I gotta say it felt good to start back up a bit! :)

devadiva
11-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Hanna and I ran 4 miles this AM. We ran 3.2 on Monday. She is doing great I am trying to keep up on my weights ect. Very busy lots of things going on Holidays and more.ONLY 4 weeks till surgery!!

Riddy
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I did a slow, sore 1/2 hour run today. My trainer kicked my a$$ Tuesday, so I'm not surprised. I'm planning on something longer Saturday morning.

Riddy
11-23-2013, 02:18 PM
I just did 3.12 miles in 38 1/2 minutes. That's a good solid time for me. It was cold out, and my legs still felt heavy. I'm thinking the weather is what's making my legs feel heavy - is this true for any of you? I'm not sure if it's temperature, humidity, air pressure, or a combination, but I just don't feel as good since it got cold out. :shrug::shrug:

Happy news - a Fleet Feet just opened 4 miles from my house! No more half-hour drive - yahoo!

monmis12
11-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Yesterday, I ran 11 miles. It was the first Saturday I have NOT run a 5k race in three months. It went great. Beautiful weather.... Felt like I could have run more (with a pit stop and water, of course).

I'm doing my first half marathon a week from today. I'm easing up on my running this week in preparation.

I am running a 5k Thanksgiving day fun run with my niece. Its untimed and no awards so no pressure to race it. I plan on running it nice and slow.

CherryPie99
11-24-2013, 04:35 PM
I got up this morning and it was wonderfully sunny so I thought it was going to be nice day for a run. Turns out it was 6 degrees out. I took the lesser of 2 hells and decided to hit the treadmill.

13.12 miles! It sucked, but I was watching football, so it was bearable!

Getting excited about the Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning - I plan to run ALL OUT and get a PR!

Good luck on your first 1/2 monmis12!!

devadiva
11-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Got 4 miles in on Mon. With my girl.

Jen you deserve a trophy for doing that on the dread mill how different was your time from the road?

CherryPie99
11-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Gayle! You are on my mind a lot! How are you holding up?

I ran slower on the treadmill then I do outside, but not by a lot. I averaged 8:20 MM. And I had it on a 2% incline to simulate road conditions.

A quick story - when I was first running and wanted to get my speed up, I would do HIIT SPRINTS on the treadmill. I remember that I set the mill at 7 MPH when I sprinted for 1 minute at a time and it killed me. When I ran on Sunday, I had the speed on 7.2 for most of the run!

A couple of times I got really excited watching the football game and almost ran off the side of the stupid thing.

I still find the treadmill HARD. Last night I used the elliptical and it's funny, I feel like I could go on that thing forever.

devadiva
11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Jen that time is remarkable! I just get bored on the elliptical,but am sure I will give it a try after the surgery when I am allowed to start again {at least 6 weeks}.
As for me no run today a weight day..when I work my legs and feet hurt to bad by the time I get off,unfortunatly I am working for a solid 6 days starting next week so it will play havic on my workouts.3 weeks from to day is the surery.

Tabbycat
11-26-2013, 08:34 PM
I haven't run since Nov 11. Trying to rest and heal from what I guess was doing too much at my age. I didn't realize I would miss it so much. I've been reading this thread every day and feeling frustrated because the weather is finally cool and I can't run! But the resting seems to be working as my walking limp is almost gone.
I'm signed up for a 5K fun run Dec 7. Hope I'm good to go by then.

devadiva
11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Got in 3.8 yesterday. No running today...work than off to relatives in SO CAL for the weekend .
Happy Thanksgiving to all you fellow trotters!

Riddy
11-28-2013, 01:12 PM
I ran a VERY cold turkey trot this morning - about 20 degrees and windy! Between the crowd and the cold, I was slow - a 42 minute 5k. Oh well, I'm just running to justify the pumpkin pie today! :p

Krampus, did you freeze your arse off, too?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

krampus
11-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey Riddy! Were you at the Troy Turkey Trot?

It was FREEZING COLD, so cold that my roommate and I jogged an extra mile and a half to our friend's house and to the starting line just to warm up.

I was there wearing a facemask and turtleneck and tights, snot rocketing everywhere and coughing from the cold air. I finished in 24:48 which I'm pretty darn happy about, and placed 19/363 in my age group (F 25-29). Not too shabby for someone who couldn't jog for three minutes without walking until just a couple years ago! ;)

Riddy
11-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Hey Riddy! Were you at the Troy Turkey Trot?

Nope, I did Saratoga. So cold! If i hadn't signed up for the race, I would not have run today. I just got new 35mph wind proof fleece pants, and they saved me. My hands and feet were pretty cold for at least the first half. My face never did warm up.

And holy crap, great time! I'm still dreaming of a 30 minute 5k.....

CherryPie99
11-29-2013, 11:29 AM
I also did a Turkey Trot yesterday morning. It was 14 degrees and the entire course was covered in hard packed slippery snow - people were falling all around me. It sucked. Terrible time that I'm too embarrassed to post!!!

I think I got 2nd in my AG. :mad: