40-Somethings - 40-somethings November chat

View Full Version : 40-somethings November chat

newleaf123
11-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Can you believe it's November??

newleaf123
11-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Oh, my. I tried on bathing suits last night for our upcoming trip, and looked at my rear view in the mirror. I always feel so good, looking at myself front view, waist up, which is what I normally see in the mirror. This rear bathing suit view?? Ick. Talk about motivating though. Time to get on the weight LOSS path again, rather than maintaining here...

After this trip, I'm going to start hitting the gym hard again...

Mrs Snark
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I can NOT believe it is November already. Scary how fast time is flying.

I also need to make tweaks to get on the LOSS path, Heidi, and I'm not really all that enthused about it either. I'm working up to it.

guacamole
11-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Happy November! I really need to get back on track! My backside view needs a wide lens to take it all in, if you known what I mean! I weighed in at 161 today. Maybe that translates to 159 without my cast? Who knows.... I'm not happy with the number either way.

Good luck today, ladies!

love2b150
11-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Well Ladies I just want to weigh close to what you weigh :)

Heidi this year has just zoomed by. I keep looking at my babies ... they are growing up so fast. Time is flying. :)

Mrs. Snark I looked at your progress pictures, you are beautiful and you look great. I would love to lose what you've loss in the time frame that you did, way to go Lady :high:

I had a nice weigh in this morning and I am hoping to keep the trend going through the weekend which is my tough time. I hit a new low of 183.8. We went to the gym, I burned 632 calories according to Nike+ and the scale says 185.2. big sigh, I don't want to see a number higher than 183 in the morning :crossed:

Have a good night everyone :hug: here's to looking great in those swim suits (I haven't bought one in quite awhile) :D

Mrs Snark
11-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Hey Love, thanks for the nice compliment!

Weekends are tough for me too. Yesterday my husband and I drove to Orlando to go to the Nike clearance store and I spent a good part of the trip obsessed with where we would eat, what would I eat, what should I eat, it's the weekend so I want to eat. Sigh. So mentally tiring.

In the end I was so wound up about food I told him to get himself chik-fil-a and I would eat when I got home. I didn't trust myself at that point. :shrug:

kelijpa
11-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Good morning all, hard to believe Nov. is here, for sure.

Love, I had a similar experience this week, after walking about 8 miles and supposedly at a 400 calorie deficit (due to exercise) I was up a pound the next day, so only lost .2 for the week. I figure the low will show up again next week and will keep at it.

Challenge will be with the time change, will probably not be able to do the rail trail during the week, so will have to force myself to jog at the little gym at work. We're looking at recumbent exercise bike for the basement, so will have a little change up in work outs, not all tread mill.

best to all :sunny:

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Wow, great self control Mrs Snark. So far my morning not working out to well. Unfortunately TOM reeled its ugly head. Going to have a nice healthy salad at my son's b-day party.Hopefully the kids will keep me distracted and I don't need to have anything. Most of the party will be outside.
Joined the exercise Challenge that Sum mentioned.

Love: your doing so great
Guac: I'm a little frustrated with my rear view too. Goal is to be in size 14 by the end of the year. I should be there if I can get down to 185.
Heidi: Just think about it though. Your rear view has to be better than it was.

Sum38
11-02-2013, 10:35 AM
It is my birthday month! Yay! :D

Thanks for starting a new thread Heidi!

How did everyone survive Halloween? I sampled some candy, but it was not too bad.

patchworkpenguin
11-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Ack! I'm usually confused about monthly changes so this one is no exception.

Hubby got home a day early and surprised me at Knit Night out with my friends. So that was fun, but then we had to take poor April to the vet. She's apparently allergic to something in our yard because she had the same rash last October.

My eating has been better but not stellar. I haven't weighed either. I'm not sure I want to know. But I'm going to this week. My knee is much better, also.

Hope you guys are well.

Zumbachica
11-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone and happy November.......wow, what a couple of weeks I've had....I was starting to feel really run down and achey.....got a nice cold sore to prove it (yuck) and have been making it a point to get more sleep at night and pace myself. I feel much better.......

I am three days away from closing on my house :) I'm very excited about it..but upset because ex husband is hiding things so I cant move them out of the house and he's just acting like a class A turd. Needless to say dieting hasn't been on the top of my list. Im teetering at about 144/145 and not making any progress.....I managed to get through Halloween without binging too much on candy although I did have some......now that it is colder I can't get away with just a sundress..so i'm trying hard to squeeze into clothes and not look and feel frumpy...i'm not having a lot of success with that....i'm hatin' on my self and hatin' my wardrobe.

But enough negativity...I am so excited about finally being on my own in my cute little house...not sure when i'll actually be IN the house but I'm hoping by December 1. I'm hoping I'll be so busy moving that I won't be busy obsessing over food....

As far as my workouts go I'm still doing zumba every weekday...can't wait to add other things to my repertoire....

I haven't been here, miss you ladies and will be catching up soon...xoxo

kelijpa
11-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Sum-happy birthday month, today was my birthday, as I have now turned 51 and have started on an accountability thread in weight loss support I will probably not be checking in as often.

I just want to say thanks to all for support and encouragement and inspiration, I will not be able to stay away, I just won't be able to check in as often.

I also just want to make sure it's known that the 50's so far have been fabulous, I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to not give up the 40's I love my 50's so far. I'm happy to be 10 lbs. down from last year and hoping to be 10-15 down next year.

thanks again and best to all :sunny:

love2b150
11-03-2013, 11:02 PM
LOL Mrs. Snark, I am the same way. If I don't take something with me I prefer not to eat so that I don't mess up. :)

:bday2you: keli aw I didn't even think about the fact that you may move to another thread :hug: glad you'll still be around :), 8 Miles WOW ... You go girl :high: Nike+ gives me my totals and sometimes I am totally confused but then I have to remember that I am trying the running pace periodically so it ups my count. I totally ignore the treadmill now. But I learned 3 years ago that when I over do it, my body doesn't seem to like it so the numbers aren't as nice on the scale. I'm hoping with the time change I will get a little more rest. My body does seem to like that :D

thanks Carma, I joined the exercise challenge that you mentioned Sum also. :) I want to get up to 5-6 miles in a day but I'll tell you it seems to be getting harder and harder. I keep pushing though. I think I need to cover the displays or maybe put blinders on to help me :)

Sum what day is your birthday? I did well on halloween. The kids made me a bag as they always do and then said to me, "Nope you can't eat this!" took it and gave it to Daddy :) gotta love 'em ;) I have only been tempted once. There was (what I thought) was a twix on the table but when I went to pick the mini pack up it was empty. I thought haha the laughs on me :lol:

Penguin hope you figure out what April is allergic to. Glad your knee is better. :hug:

Zumba talking about frumpy, I don't like the sudden changes in the weather. I had a pile of slacks and sweaters on the bed this morning. Nothing looked right. I have this major lower stomach pouch that I can't stand. I pull it up in the mirror and wish that it would go away :lol: I think you've got a great outlook on things Zumba so just keep your head up :hug:

Well I saw a new low today and I was quite shocked 182.6. I got on the scale twice to make sure. I haven't done as well today so I may be back up in the morning. I ate OP but I think I do better when we go to the gym in the evening and today we went right after church. So I still had a small late lunch and then dinner which I am pleased to say was all healthy.

Have a great night everyone :hug:

Bindii
11-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Happy birthday kelijpa!! I, for one, will be sad to not see your face in here as much. Even though I am a new member already I find myself looking forward to your posts and you (and others) have been so welcoming and inspirational in the short time that I have been here.

Today I am feeling a little disheartened, I've been exercising daily (compared to my previous life of never exercising) and I've been so careful to only eat the right foods but the scales have hardly moved in three weeks. It makes me want to cry. (alright I have cried) :o

I refuse to give up though and have just purchased a calorie counter book in the hope that perhaps what I am eating and thinking is 'good' food is maybe not so good...

Bindii
11-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Double post... and won't let me delete :(

yashismom
11-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Hello all. This morning is my weigh in. Its frustrating cause my scale at home said 148.5. this was when i got up. Now with my clothes and shoes it says 151! What should i go by?

Thanks!

Sum38
11-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Keli Happy belated birthday!!! :love: -- I am sad to see you leave us!!! Please pop in every once in a while with updates; since I giving up on the accountability thread, I don't read it.

Mrs Snark
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Keli -- Happy belated birthday!!! :celebrate:

I hate to see you move on to other threads because I'm totally selfish and want you to stay here with us. So that just means I'll have to lurk over there occasionally to see what you're up to! :)

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Yashi'smom: I count only the naked weight in the morning after I have gone to the bathroom and before eating anything. It only matters if you are tracking ideally weighing the same approximate time each time. You could choose to be a daily weigh in girl or a weekly. I prefer daily myself. You should probably measure yourself. 50lbs & 4 sizes later I wish I did measure myself.

Bindi: Do you have a smart phone? I like myfitnesspal for calorie counting. It is free. I have also heard people who like Loseit too. Make sure you are also measuring your food. For instance a bowl of cereal is usually 2 cups which would be 2 servings.

Mrs Snark: Also sad to see Kelipa leave. I will have to follow her on the accountability thread.

Love: congrats on the new all time low. You can just taste the 170's can't you?

Zumba: Hope the closing goes well and your ex stops being such a turd.

Penguin: glad your knee is better. Hope you figure your dogs allergy out. Mine was allergic to rice. Giant pain in the tushie.

Sum: Happy to report that most of the Halloween candy is gone. Sadly, I ate most of it. There ought to be a rule no Halloween falling at same time as PMS.

Heidi: :wave:

Zumbachica
11-04-2013, 11:04 PM
KeliJ...it blows that you're leaving us...I will miss you..but understand that its too time consuming to post everywhere.

I'm very unhappy tonight. I started off the day eating well, but then caved when I went to a friends house and she had mini croissants out..I had two of them. Then I came home and had a slice of apple pie and two mini mounds bars from the leftover Halloween candy...bleh...well I taught three classes today so maybe it all evened out..still..I'm never going to meet myg goals this way. (

Chubby mum
11-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Is it ok if I just jump straight in? My name is Kate, I live in Australia and I'm six weeks after the birth of my 4th child (and last). I've just turned 40.

I'm usually around 63kg (or 138 pounds) but I always stack it on when pregnant and am now 177 pounds. I was pretty much the same weight after my third baby and lost the first half over 3 months and the rest over another six.

At the moment I'm still in maternity clothes as even my usual post partum gear doesn't fit and I feel heavy and uncomfortable. So today is day one! I love to run and will start with 4-5 short runs/week combined with a reduction in carbs. I'm breastfeeding (and will for a year or so) so I'm going to eat when hungry and not be too strict with calories etc. I know from last time (my 3rd is only 20 months so it feels like déjà vu doing this all over again) that finding the time to run, even for just 30 minutes is nearly impossible but well worth it, even if just for the break!

I think I'll do a weigh weekly on Fridays so I don't slacken off over the weekend.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-05-2013, 10:00 AM
:welcome2: Kate. Breastfeeding does help burn the calories though so that's a plus. Good for you for getting out an running again.

Stagnant again at weight loss here. But I am sticking to my calories and burning so I think it has to still be a hormonal thing. First day off with most of the day to myself so I think I will do a half an hour walk after breakfast and lunch then I have a Piloxing class after dinner. That will be subway so I have to watch my salt intake the rest of the day. I also want to try out my Yoga new dvd's by Tara Stiles

Mrs Snark
11-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Welcome Kate! Congrats on your 4th little one! I just bet you're busy, busy, busy! Good job making time to fit those runs in! I'm sure they are worth it though. I also love to run, the stress relief from running is immense!

Zumbachica -- We all have rough days, shake it off. We would have anything to measure our great days by if we didn't have cruddy days as well (this is what I tell myself at least!)!

Carma -- Never heard of Piloxing, need to go look that up! Enjoy your mostly-day to yourself!

It is ugly and raining here. It is a rest day for me and I need it. I have a cold and the achey joints that go with it. I did a 4 mile run yesterday and the way I feel right now I might have been wiser to skip it.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-05-2013, 10:55 AM
It's a combination of Pilates, kickboxing and dancing. It will be my 3rd week and it's fun.

Sum38
11-05-2013, 12:43 PM
My heart is not into dieting right now. Wonder if I should allow myself to take a maintenance break and see what happens? All my clothes fit; another 10 pounds and I will have nothing to wear :D I am having fun with my closet.

I do wish to look better but I am not totally hating myself how I look at the moment.

Anyone else has ever taken a little break?

Mrs Snark
11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Sum -- that's kinda where I am right now. I am pretty comfortable and feeling unwilling to change much, even though I'd like to be lighter.

So I'm just sort of in a holding pattern. On the other hand, I'd love to achieve more. I go back and forth daily. This time of year it is hard to make another hard push forward, I keep asking myself wouldn't I be pretty happy on Jan 1 if I weigh what I weigh today?

Unfortunately, my answer changes with my mood, lol. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no.... sigh.

love2b150
11-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Bindii, congrats on the calorie counter book. I have two :D but I use myfitnesspal to count calories. It's great because you can actually use the bar code scanner and scan the food right to the app from your phone. I used another calorie counter site before this but I can't remember the name. Google them and give them a shot. You'll love it :) Also though I'm no expert when I first started with 3FC I would plateau so much it drove me nuts. Then a friend suggested I up my calories and calorie cycle. She added my weekly calories and told me on average I was eating about 1600 calories a day but my calories I had found on some site were different. I'm sure the ladies here can help you get off your plateau, just keep reading :hug:

ok be back later my lunch break is over :D

newleaf123
11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi, everyone. We have been away since 11/1, just got home today. So... Not too excited to get on the scale tomorrow. But on the other hand, I feel ready to hit the exercising hard.

Yes, I think that once Nov rolls around, just weighing the same come Jan is a huge win.

Happy belated birthday kelijpa!!

newleaf123
11-05-2013, 08:15 PM
So I have no idea what my weight is, post-vacation, which is a little unsettling. I don't know what I weighed on King Tut Day since I was away. So... With no way of knowing where I'm at, I am putting down some aggressive numbers for Absurdity Day on 11/20. I'm ready to strive again. Will update my ticker tomorrow with actual start weight.

kelijpa
11-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Hello all! Told you I can't stay away, great reading your posts, thanks for the nice words, means alot to me.

I started using myfitnesspal a few weeks ago, I'm almost afraid I'm getting obsessive about it, especially since runkeeper syncs with it and adds my exercise calories in (if I use it right, forgot to turn it off the other night and earned about 800 calories riding in the car, lol, had to delete that one)

Carma-I also weigh in daily and try as you do to do it at the same time and at the same point in my a.m. routine, I try to only compare week to week, so I don't get too crazy...

Mrs Snark- I like your idea about having the bad days make the good days look even better in comparison....

Sum-I've been in maintenance most of the summer, I'm trying to knock off another 10 and then maintain there, then work on the next...

NewLeaf-love the idea of Absurdity Day, how do you celebrate!

:wave: all :D

best to all :sunny:

Chubby mum
11-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

So far it's been easy laying off the sweets etc - I'm not really a big sweet eater but the running will be trickier. After my last baby I went for a run in the evening after the kids were down. This was good because the hardest part of the day was "over" and it also meant I ate lightly at tea time as well. However DH hates me running then as it's dark (even though its a well lit, safe residential area) and at the moment the baby has a cold (courtesy of hisbig sisters) and is grumpy and snotty and very "feedy" at that time. The other option is in the morning but I'm not getting much sleep as it is and I adore that extra sleep I get when DH gets up with the toddler and/or the baby if he's awake as well.

Reading back though it mainly sounds like excuses. I'm pretty out of shape after 11 months of no running so even 20 minutes will be of benefit. I'll see what I can do! I've never ever gone for a run and wished I hadn't gone though.

Either way I'll stick to the better food choices and reweigh on Friday.

Kate

Zumbachica
11-06-2013, 01:31 AM
HI all....I weighed in at 143 today, I really thought I would have a higher number so i'm a bit relieved, but know that I am on some weird type of plateau. I am still down from the ugly 150 that I was at in April...but not making any more progress....my legs ache from all the zumba that I do...and yet i'm not getting in shape....My life is going through so many changes now, and my way to reacting to fear and anxiety is to put on weight....it protects me from the world in some weird way. yet makes me so unhappy......Im hoping the work of moving into the new house will be the physical challenge that I need to move that scale downward a bit..end my obsession with food and get me pointed in the right direction......

Bindii
11-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Bindii, congrats on the calorie counter book. I have two :D but I use myfitnesspal to count calories. It's great because you can actually use the bar code scanner and scan the food right to the app from your phone. I used another calorie counter site before this but I can't remember the name. Google them and give them a shot. You'll love it :) Also though I'm no expert when I first started with 3FC I would plateau so much it drove me nuts. Then a friend suggested I up my calories and calorie cycle. She added my weekly calories and told me on average I was eating about 1600 calories a day but my calories I had found on some site were different. I'm sure the ladies here can help you get off your plateau, just keep reading :hug:

ok be back later my lunch break is over :D

Thanks for the info! I'm going to look up the myfitnesspal and see if that would suit me as something has to change as what I am doing is obviously not working. :( I can only guess that the food that is going is more than the energy that is going out.

Oh and great to see an another Aussie on here too.. welcome! :)

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-06-2013, 06:21 AM
It's wednesday morning and I need to get out of my nice warm bed and do W5D2 on C25k in the cold november morning. Only thing motivating me is I have a cool new head flashlight to light my way.

Sum: I got that way too recently but found it was a failed experiment as all I ended up doing was gain 7 more pounds to lose. I am no where close to maintenance numbers though.

Heidi: Love absurdity day.

Kelipa: glad to see you back.

Zumba: I hope the moving in gives you peace. Proud of you maintaining 143. With all your stress it would be easy to gain.

Mrs Snark, Love, Bindi and Kate have a good day

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Maybe the 200.6 on the scale is motivation too. Wonderland here I come! :carrot:

newleaf123
11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
soon2beSkinny great motivation, indeed! :carrot:

Mrs Snark
11-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Carma - whoo hooo so exciting!!!

Mrs Snark
11-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Sum: I got that way too recently but found it was a failed experiment as all I ended up doing was gain 7 more pounds to lose. I am no where close to maintenance numbers though.

That is what I'm afraid of for myself, Carma. That if I get too relaxed where I am right now I'll just experience food and weight creep.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
All I have to say is thank god for Leslie Sansone video's. I refuse to go out in the dark twice so her video's have helped my night time work outs. So far I am up to 370 minutes of exercise this week since Sunday.

Bindii
11-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Well I downloaded the ap myfitnesspal and I have to say that already I LOVE it..

I can also see why I am not losing weight as it seems that some of the food I thought was 'good' is in fact 'not so good'.. I can see that this ap will be so good for me! Thank you to those that recommended it! :)

Sum38
11-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Mrs Snark WHBM is having 25% off sale. Promotion code 18127 :D

Chubby mum
11-07-2013, 11:16 PM
So I've lost about three pounds in a week and I've started running again. I do like this phase of early post baby weight loss where it comes off really easily. Shame it doesn't last!

Bindi, it's funny how there's so much conflicting advice about "dieting" and the proper foods. It seems to change every two seconds as well. I'm personally a fan of loads of protein and trying to cut out processed carbs. I'm not going low fat while I'm breastfeeding either as otherwise I find myself wanting to scoop out spoonfuls of cream cheese and gross stuff like that. Hopefully nuts, avocado and smoked salmon etc will quieten down the fat cravings.

It's getting hot here now, it's a shame I have to bare my body in a bathing suit but my daughters won't care (and I am not going to make comments about my body in front of them) and my husband would never ever say anything.

Kate

Mrs Snark
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks SUM! I'll go check it out (though now I may be seeing this too late!)

Sum38
11-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I going to see Mamma Mia! Today, and I am super excited. For the fellow WHBM lovers I am wearing this dress today http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=99&pageId=1&productId=570086461&viewAll=true&prd=Chiffon+Sleeve+Floral+Dress&subCatId=cat210002&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=82&catId=cat4809277&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size= with tall boots with skyhigh heels.

We are very quiet now-a days...what's happening with you guys?

I am looking for my lost motivation. I had a good eating day yesterday; walked 4 miles and lifted weights for 45 minutes. DH is helping me with my food cravings, he knows that this lack of motivation will pass and I would be quite upset if I let myself gain. I have gained maybe 2-3 pounds :cry:

Sending :dust: to all.

Mrs Snark
11-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Sum -- Love the dress, I bet you look smokin' hot! Enjoy Mamma Mia, I think that would be so fun to see live.

I'm lurking around, looking for I-don't-know-what. Feeling moody.

Feeling blah-ish. Trying to be positive and mostly failing.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-10-2013, 01:58 PM
It must be something in the air. I am having a hard time getting motivated since the end of this week. I started great guns and ended poorly. I need to get refocused and follow through. Going to bed at midnight made me not want to exercise first thing this am. My DD is home sick today so am delaying my run til my husband is closer to coming home. He is going to be calling prior to him leaving so he can check on what groceries he needs to pick up. Plus side is as she is sick I did not go out to eat with him and my son prior to them visiting my MIL. Down side is I can't really figure out what I wanted. I had some lower calorie apple tart's that i made and a handful of peanuts with a cappuccino and a slice of toast basically it was 660 calories of not what I wanted. Maybe I need to start planning out all my meals again except on days when we have to go out. Also way behind on my water intake.

Prognosis not good on my MIL. They can't do surgery and it seems like her infections will never go a way. My husband said his mom said she was given 3-6 months but not sure about which doctor said it. She also asked my Father in law for permission to die. It seems so weird because her being sick is basically all my kids have ever known so it is very surreal that we are now coming to the end. I always thought she was some sort of bionic woman who somehow kept surviving.

Sum: I love the dress and have a blast at Mamma Mia.

Mrs Snark: Maybe if we both go out for a run we will feel better.

Kate: congrats on the weight-loss.

Bindii: glad your loving MFP. Stick with it, it helps.

Heidi, Love, Sum and Kellipa: :wave:

Mrs Snark
11-11-2013, 07:19 AM
It's Monday, a chance to remake myself and my attitude!

This week I choose to be happy (instead of moody)! Happy, happy, happy!

I'm nixing whining from my agenda this week. I did way too much whining to my husband last week while we were sick, particularly about food/weight/struggle/self-love blah blah blah. That's what my blog is for, there is only so much of that one person should have to take.

Apparently I also talk over the football waaaay too much. So, I shall be learning to keep my trap shut as well (but in a Happy Way, not a Moody Whiny Way!). I know I'm much more clever than football commentators, but I'll just keep my witticisms to myself from now on (his loss, really).

Oh Monday, all fresh and clean and new, I salute you.

Sum38
11-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Nice goal Mrs. S!

Mamma Mia was fabulous!! My dress was pretty! And the whole evening was a successful one.

We went out and I ordered nachos, but only ate 1/4th of them, until I was full. Old self would had eaten atleast half of them....so I am making progress. Scale still jumped a pound, but I am sure it is just because of the late dinner and sodium.

I am going to have a good attitude day as well. Thanks Mrs. S for the pep talk!

Zumbachica
11-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Hi Everybody...I've been super busy but I haven't forgotten all of you....or my goals......

Ive been really busy with the new house..it hasn't been an easy transition...I am still not all packed....i'm teaching every day and that is eating into my day..I still have to pack up a life,ex is still making me miserabl over what I can take.....on a happier note new man is making it really easy to be happy and excited and he's been helping me with the house.....I eat when I can and I eat what is convenient....not exactly the best way to be....but the way that it has to be right now. I'm not gaining weight...not losing but not gaining....

That's where I am at...

SUM so happy to hear tha you had a good time.....and you didn'teat al those nachos.

Zumbachica
11-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Mrs Snark,its always better not to whine...:) Be positive....

Chubby mum
11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Zumba, moving house is hugely stressful. You're doing well if you're managing to eat well during that time.

I'm not doing a very good job of being low carb, it's lunch and snacks that are tricky. My excuse is that my three (slim and very active) "big kids" like crackers and cheese etc so I just sort of mindlessly grab them when I'm hungry. Maybe I'll chop up a vege platter or something for me and just keep it in the fridge.

I also don't think I'm running far enough, the baby's been doing normal six week cluster feeds in the evening so I've been loathe to go for too long but I might have to. I could probably express and leave DH with some milk but I get the most milk at the beginning of the day and trying to do that plus get the big kids off to school and the toddler ready for the day would prob just about do me in!

I'll see if I've had a loss on Friday and go from there.

Kate

kelijpa
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Sum, the dress is lovely!

Just want to say Hi everyone, read your posts, wishing you all the best, have to get some beauty sleep, will check back in during the week.

Best to all :sunny:

Magicsusan
11-12-2013, 05:36 AM
:write: Hello everybody.

Having trouble getting back on the wagon since fall holiday several weeks back. I'm getting better at dealing with my own stresses by taking positive actions (going for a walk, brutally bashing up veggies for a salad) :rollpin::broc: :carrot: but still reaching for comfort foods when the kids have problems. I guess it's an echo of times when I felt so powerless- and in a way I still do. I'm not sure how to advise the kids on problems I never learned to solve and it stresses me. Youngest just came home with a red mark on the side of her head where a big boy had slammed her head in a locker. No reason. Just because he could. In my lovely fantasy world, you say something to the teachers and the boy's parents and they make him understand why this is not acceptable. Reality is different.

So!

Enough whining. I'm back on track with my Quinoa Supergreen Salad and regular exercise. Makes such a bit difference. Happy to report that I didn't gain while I was off the wagon; just didn't lose. Back on the wagon for a couple of days now. I've actually lost 200g from my recent low, it's just not reflected in the poundage because it got lost in the conversion (108.1 and 107.9 round to the same thing.) Now I'm off to do my homework before Italian class tonight and I'm looking forward to catching up and reading regularly again. Good luck in the fab fifties Kelijpa!

Sum38
11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Susan I saw you on weekly weigh in and you are maintaining...that is awesome!

2FatCats
11-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Afternoon All!

I've been MIA for almost 3 months. Sunday was the 11 month anniversary of my healthy eating/exercising path and it reminded me of all the fabulous 40-somethings that were with me every step of the way. So, I'm back to check in and say hi!

It's good to see the familiar faces and some new ones, too!

The week after my last post (Aug) I was deadlifting and strained my lower back so severely that had to go to the ER (first time in 30 years). Note to self: Never rush through a workout. Take your time and lift with proper form.
Needless to say, that completely stopped my exercise regime. My specialist told me that it would probably take me a year to heal fully. YIKES! Those of you that remember me - I LIVE for the gym. I was petrified that if I couldn't exercise, the weight would creep back on. Thankfully it seems I built enough muscle to sustain my metabolism and my caloric intake. I still eat 2200kCal + and I am holding steady at 135. My measurements haven't gone up so no appreciable muscle loss, either. Whew! My back was finally well enough to enable me to start physical therapy last week so hopefully I will get a green light to hit the gym soon! If not soon, then eventually.

We had the first snow of the season last night!! I love that we have snow on the ground (yep, you read that right). Is it weird that I am excited to shovel snow? :D

On a side note - being thin = being cold. It's gonna be a loooonnnngggg Winter.

Court

Sum38
11-12-2013, 04:42 PM
I was JUST thinking about you today 2FC!!!!!!!!! So sorry to hear about your back, that sounds painful!

Magicsusan
11-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Hey, 2FC! Nice to see you and sorry about your back. I'm glad you're healing.

Thanks, Sum. It sure makes it easier to recommit!

guacamole
11-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone! Still logging my calories, but have been going over my desired amount. Scared to weigh myself! It's really going to be hard to get back on track when I get my cast off - 1 week! That's when the hard work of rehab and accountability will come in. Easy to get into the winter doldrums, but we can do this!

kelijpa
11-12-2013, 09:13 PM
2FC- sorry to hear about your back, glad to hear you're doing well in recovering.

Guac- exciting to be getting your cast off soon, I only ever had one, broke my wrist playing volleyball, couldn't wait to get that thing off. Best of luck with all that.

Susan- your salad sounds interesting, I just says a recipe for quinoa chili, sounded good, too.

We got snow here too, and bitter cold, supposed to go back up to the 50s this weekend, so looking forward to that, I'm just not ready...

guacamole
11-12-2013, 10:48 PM
kelijpa - I am excited, but also nervous that my foot will be in pain...I have to wear a boot when it comes off...just wondering how I'll feel with it off.

My daughter brought home leftover shushi tonight, and I ate it all! Ugh! This is on top of my 1400 calories for the day! Why did I do it? Oh well, tomorrow is another day....

newleaf123
11-12-2013, 10:52 PM
2fc - great to see you! Sounds like you have weathered your setback well; I'm sad to read about your injury but happy to see how well you are managing. Thanks for checking in!

Good day foodwise today. I did make it out for a quick walk today; bitter cold here, too! DH and our 14-year-old are supposed to go backpacking this weekend. Our other son and I will be sitting by the fire at home...

Sum38
11-13-2013, 09:21 AM
So nice to see everyone posting again :love: I love reading everybody's updates!

guacamole
11-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Feeling down about the type and amount of food I am consuming. I feel like I am losing the battle during the last stretch of my confinement. Feeling pretty bad about how I feel and look right now.

Hope you all had a better day.

kelijpa
11-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Chin up Guac, better days are ahead :sunny:

guacamole
11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks, kelijpa! :hug:

newleaf123
11-13-2013, 09:51 PM
guac I'm sure that's a normal part of the cycle with an injury like yours. Just wait until you get that cast off; it'll be a whole new you again! You'll get your mojo back; I know it.

Here's something new. I'm going to post my weight in the weigh-in thread on Friday. I haven't done that since 10/25... ack!

Trudging along. Trying to be better about listening to my inner adult. It's a constant battle. I did get out and walk 4 miles in the bitter cold this afternoon, on top of having done 30 min on the elliptical this morning. Still at it over here...

newleaf123
11-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure what got me started down this path, but I went back and looked at the January chat -- and stumbled across my goals for the year.

:) increase the amount of homemade food that my family eats, decrease the amount of restaurant food and soda
:) Recognize that life is short, and let go of any anger, angst, etc more quickly
:) Work towards health and fitness

I have to say -- WOW! Check, check, and check!! So, that's a great feeling.

I don't think I've mentioned it here; I've stopped drinking diet soda. Nothing momentous happened, there was really no impetus or burning desire to change. We ran out, I couldn't get to the store, then I intentionally held off for a bit, and then I just stopped. My boys already were drinking less soda since we rarely go to restaurants. And now that I'm not cracking a diet soda open at home or in the car, they aren't grabbing one out of the fridge to join me. So... win win. I don't even know when I stopped. Maybe 6 weeks ago?

Now, if only I could get my brain to shut off the same way with candy. I'm trying a new mind game -- not eating anything with artificial color. Since I basically eat only foods with all natural ingredients, really the only thing with artificial color that passes my mouth is candy. But this way I'm not restricting candy... I'm just not eating artificial colors... get it?? Oh, the games we play... LOL

Sum38
11-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Today is my birthday :sunny: and I am going to have a fabulous day!

I will go for a walk and get the gym workout done. I have been skipping too often and my body is starting to show it. I have avoided the scale, but like Heidi I will do a weigh-in tomorrow.

guacamole I am sending you big hugs!!!

newleaf123
11-14-2013, 08:52 AM
To sum

:celebrate::bday2you::celebrate:

TwoTots
11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Hello 40-somethings. I am 43 and need a place to post. I was trying the Ideal Protein diet for a long time and never managed to master it. Now I am eating low carb (slow carb diet) and am looking for a place to chat about and interact with some other like minded people. I can't find any active low carb threads so can I join this one? I've been following the new plan since last Monday and am having great success. My weigh ins are on Fridays. Good luck all.

guacamole
11-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Sum - Happy birthday!!!! :bday2you::hb::woo:

Newleaf - "Trying to be better about listening to my inner adult." Love this!

Quitting the diet drinks was one of the best things I ever did. In fact, today I was noticing how many half empty water bottles were lying around the house. At first I was irritated. Then I thought, 2 years ago these would have been soda cans! When I started drinking water, so did my family! As you said, win-win!

TwoTots - Welcome! I think the gals on here are doing all different diets, not just one plan - so feel free to join in! We all have the same goals to lose weight and get healthy!

I really hope I get my mojo back. I feel a bit better today, but that's cause I'm in my PJs and can pretend my clothes still fit!

Have a great day!

Mrs Snark
11-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Happy birthday SUM, have a wonderful day!

Welcome TwoTots! After I saw your name all I could think about was how much I LOVE tater tots (because I immediately thought "potato" and not "kids"). Just love those things. I haven't had a tater tot in forever, but I can only imagine how long it is going to take for me to let go of that idea.

*wanders off with visions of tots.... tater tots that is*

Edited to add: I don't do "low carb" per se, but I avoid "empty, junky carbs" such as -- you guessed it, tater tots -- so we are like minded on that!

TwoTots
11-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Mrs Snark that's funny. I've often felt hungry enough to eat a child! I have twins so hence twotots. Thank you for the welcome guacamole. Mrs Snark your progress pics are fantastic. well done you.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
:bday2: Sum!!!!!!!!

:welcome2: Two Tots. I am a calorie counter so I can't exactly help with the low carb thing. I do have a friend that is doing the ideal protein diet. My wallet and love of carbs prevent me from even considering it. Although her husband has lost 30lbs in a month and she has lost almost 15.

Mrs. Snark: I just bought some Alexa Sweet Potato tots. If they have sweet potato in it they must be healthy. I will carefully count out my appropriate portion size.

Heidi: So pleased your on track for all your goals for the year. Soda and I have a love hate relationship. I try not to have it too much but have found myself having the diet soda instead of other low calorie drinks but for the most part water is my thing. If I could afford Inko's tea all the time I would be sold on just that. I did recently find it in the local drug store in the big 64oz bottles.

Guac: Hope your Mojo comes back in full force.

Zumba: Somehow I missed the new man post. Congrats. Hope the move is good and so pleased about the no gain for you!

Kelipa: when is your race going to be?

Kate: I always do better when I have prepared vegetables in the fridge. I had a cheese and cracker platter for my son's b-day party last Saturday. I had at it on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. No real shock that on Wednesday I was up to 204.6.

Susan: Awesome that you didn't gain while off the wagon. Sorry about the stressors of your children.

2FatCats: Sorry to hear about your back injury. So pleased your able to start at PT now. We miss seeing you on here.

Bindi and Love: Hope all is well with you guys.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Update on Me post then I must exercise. Working early in the morning for 5:45 so would like to be in bed by 9 at the latest.
Well shocking. I slipped and forgot to take my vitamins and vitamin D each day and didn't get a whole lot of sleep over the weekend and early week. So inevitably I got sick. I really wish my darling daughter would start keeping her hands to herself when she gets sick.
Plus side for being sick all food tastes like crap so have been under calories the last few days. Downside my exercise has not been at anywhere near my goal of 500 minutes a week. Skipped my Piloxing class as I felt horrible.
My MIL is still in the hospital. Looks like another thanksgiving she won't be home.

Chubby mum
11-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Happy birthday Sum!

Carma, you can't possibly exercise if you're sick! Rest up and hit it hard when you're well.

Two tots, I'm reducing but not completely cutting out carbs. I'm trying to get rid of processed carbs, to stick to whole grain options and really try to cut them out in the evening. I'm not doing brilliantly but the extra protein is smoothing out my appetite and I've more energy. I'm eating foods with healthy fat because I'm breastfeeding a pretty new baby and I'm craving them.

I weighed this morning and I've lost a pound which I'm happy with. I swear my body's changed more than a pound's worth though! After a few decent runs the muscle tone is trying to reemerge in my legs. Unfortunately DH is working most of the weekend and away the first part of the week which means I can't run but I do get loads of incidental exercise and I'm going to have to have a better eating week to make up for it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Kate

kelijpa
11-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Sum :bday2you:

Carma, I haven't picked a race yet, still running tho, made it 32 minutes today, working towards 35, the gym is kind of warm so I sweated unbelievably, thank goodness I brought a change of undergarments :rofl: I miss being outside, hope the winter goes by fast...

Getting sleepy, I'll check back in tomorrow, still have more to say...lol

Newleaf, how great to look back at January's goals and see that you've accomplished them.

Mrs Snark, love your sense of humor, it's been awhile since I've had tater tots myself, they are addictive little buggers!

SweatIsFatCrying
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Today is Day 5 for me, and I am feeling really good. Lots of energy!! Can't believe I would choose to live any other way. Taking each day at a time, and focusing on me. Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Sum38
11-15-2013, 11:36 AM
:welcome3: SweatIsFatCrying

Thank you for the bday wishes. I had a really nice bday. I even took a nap, because I could :D

Eating was OP as well. :woohoo: I jumped on that dreaded scale and it is up quite a bit, ugh! But not all is lost, back in that saddle.

SweatIsFatCrying
11-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks Sum38 and Happy Belated Birthday! :)

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Kelipa: I am debating doing a 3.5mile race next saturday as it is in my town and it is for the soup kitchen. I will probably walk/run it but figure it will be good for me to do. I think that day on C25K will be some straight running for 25 or 30 minutes anyway.

Kate: reality is checking in that you are right. I am still going to run tomorrow and Sunday because it is only for 35 minutes max. Glad your down the pound and your legs are toning up from the running. Too bad your husband is working the weekend.

Sum: Glad you had a great birthday.

Sweatisfatcrying: :wel3fc: 1st off love your name. 2nd off you will love it here. Great support.

Hi to everyone else.

OK P.O. Mom rant. So my children's photo order was screwed up. My daughters photo's were horrible so I told them to please send my son't missing photo's and that my daughter would be having retakes. Today in the mail comes yep you guessed it duplicate crappy photo's for my daughter. I now have practically no voice so I croaked them out a message about how they were very unprofessional and unorganized and left my number. Fully expect them not to call. Idiots. It's not like I may need to give copies of these photo's to family or anything.:tantrum: feeling slightly better now.

Zumbachica
11-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Hello everyone....so nice to finally catch up with everyone...hello to the new folks on here...

Well my new house is coming along ....there is some furniture now....I have been there a lot doing work and haven't been obsessing over eating...Today I had a "binge day" though.....not sure why....it started when I came home with really good Italian bread and I wound up eating it and dunking it in olive oil...and then I took out some cookies for my younger son to have with his chamomile tea and I started eating them and kept eating them until the package was empty ....(they WERE Lotus cookies from Belgium you know...) LOL...I am so beyond crying over it. I know that I am in a way better place than I was last year at this time.....and once I get into a routine I can focus more on what i'm eating. I have to find a way to lower my cholesterol....

I haven't been to the gym yet to lift weights...grrrrrr......my mini goal for next week is to do that Tuesday after I teach my zumba class.......

I plan on doing a lot of nesting this weekend and cooking for the kids..and packing...ive been putting it off ...maybe subconsciously I really don't want to leave here and start a new life?

TwoTots
11-16-2013, 03:46 AM
Good morning everyone. Happy belated b'day wishes sum38. Zumbachic I'm an emotional eater too, I suppose most people here are. Actually I'm an overeater and I just eat more when I get stressed/emotional/happy! I'm following a plan that allows a "cheat day". it takes the negative feelings away when I eat lot's of crap. But I have to reign it back in tomorrow. Today is my cheat day. I won't elaborate on what I'm planning to eat. It's starting to get very chilly here, our first frosty morning. I live in the Netherlands. Good luck today everyone.
I had my week 2 weigh-in today and I'm down 3lbs!!!! Very happy. I can add another smiley face to my ticker.

Sum38
11-16-2013, 09:38 AM
TwoTots Congrats on your pounds losses!

Zumba Big changes for you in life. -- I am sure that you will be happier once you are all settled in and truly started your new life. :hug:

Carma I hope you'll get the photo issue all sorted out. Frustrating. I am lucky since my DH does photography as a hobby and he is quite talented in that department.

Sum38
11-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I ate too much beef stew I made :( Otherwise my day was quite successful.

Tonight we are going out to eat as a family to celebrate my birthday. I need to be mindful all day that I can actually enjoy my evening.

I am still lacking motivation to eat right and exercise. Each day I start all optimistic, but I just don't feel like doing it. Like I said I have gained a few pounds, but I am hoping to maintain for awhile and wait for my mojo to kick in.

love2b150
11-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Sum Happy Belated Birthday :hug:

:welcome: to the thread TwoTots

Mrs Snark, I love tater tots also and made some for my husband the other night. Surprisingly I did not eat one. … buttttttt my son made fries and I ate two, isn't that a shame :D the good thing is I only ate two, pat on the back. ;)

Carma, :hug:

ok my husband needs the computer so be back later

kelijpa
11-16-2013, 08:10 PM
We bought a recumbent bike to replace our treadmill, looking forward to adding in something different. Will still have the treadmill at work gym to keep up with my running.

Carma, good luck with the race if you decide to do it!

Zumba, best of luck with your move, good to hear you're in a better place than last year, I had a bingey end to my day today involving potato chips, that I can't stop thinking about right now...the rest of the bag is in the cupboard.

Mrs Snark
11-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Neat Kelijpa, that will make for nice cross training!

Loev2b150 - only 2 fries and 0 tots -- that's actually amazing! Great job!

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Zumba: So glad the house is coming along. Glad your in the better place mentally. I can't seem to get myself in a weight lifting zone either. I get one or two days in then nothing. Yoga is the same way. So much easier to do cardio.

kelijpa: :dust: for the potato chips.

Love: go you on the only 2 French fries and no tater tots.

Twotots: congrats on the 3lbs

Sum: Hope the birthday celebration went well. If the same company is doing it next year then I will just get the class picture. We have a photographer in my neighborhood so I will just use her to take the pictures.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-17-2013, 02:36 AM
Worked night shift Friday night. Slept from 10am to 3pm. Sleep is eluding me currently but going to try and lay down. I need to get stuff done in the house. Looks like a tornado hit it. You know it has to be bad if I am sick of the look of it. Scared to go in the laundry room too. The stack of clothing is almost to the door of the Laundry shoot in the bathroom.
I am starting to feel somewhat better but still have very little voice. Weighed in at 200.6 today. Now hopefully I cross into Onderland and stay there. I seem to self sabotage myself once I get close. I finally made the appointment to see the GI doc for my annual. This is the same doctor that told me I could be off meds if I lost 50lbs. Well I am off the meds and can't wait to see the look on her face when she see's I am 50lbs down. I see her the 3rd week in December so hoping to lose at least 10 more lbs. by then.

Mrs Snark
11-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Carma -- that will be such a great moment with your doctor. I felt the same way at my annual appt with my Gyn, she was SO proud of me.

Sum38
11-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Happy Sunday from blustery Michigan :rain:

Last night we went out to have some birthday dinner and I ate this wonderful prime rib steak and chocolate mousse dessert :o I did not even bother stepping on scale this morning.

I think I am ready to commit to my weightloss again. I again will do one meal at a time attitude without setting long term goals. Same goes to my exercise. One day at a time, one step at a time, one weight lifting machine at a time....

I am disappointed in myself that, once again, I took a break (disappointment is a good sign :dizzy:)

So sending :dust: to all, boy I sure needed.

Magicsusan
11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Hey, Well done, Carma!

Blustery, eh Sum? Here it's cold and grey. I'm missing my walks, but I really don't like the cold. I've been thinking about making it a daily thing to climb from the cellar to the upstairs every day 3 or 4 times. Am I mad? What do you think?

Getting ready for a fresh start tomorrow- had daughter's bd party here- pizza, brownies, ice cream, waffles... :(

Zumbachica
11-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi ladies,
Quick update. I'm slowly going back to my old habits....I am grabbing sweets when feel like it, not really paying attention to what I am eating etc. My jeans actually hurt today on my hips..well I know what that means..

Today a student I used to have stopped by to see my new house, she is now a neighbor. She was super tiny, wearing tights and a sweater. She looked amazing and so much thinner since when she ws my student. She says it happened slowly, mostl working out hard and watching what she eats...not a formal diet. I felt like such a loser. I was her instructor, I was supposed to be helping her and here she was in my house and I'm asking her how she lost weight. Wow....what a kick in my pants....I guess I needed it.

Sum Im with you girlfriend, ready to commit again. This week's mini goals: low carb and atleast ONE work out with weights.

Im reading up on all of you, hope to do personals tomorrow.

kelijpa
11-17-2013, 10:04 PM
The chips are gone, drank lots of water and stayed OP today. Had a good workout on the bike, hopefully it'll lead to some great rides come spring on the real bike, outside.

A program starts tomorrow at work, called maintain, don't gain, it goes to Jan. 12th I think. It helped me last year, so I'm going to sign up again. This is the time to remember if you have a bad meal or snack, get back as soon as you can. So easy to let loose for the next couple months...have I convinced myself yet...

MagicSusan, I think your stair idea is great, in fact I've done that, my walk at work includes going up and down some stairs I between buildings. I read an article in Prevention mag years ago that recommended adding stairs.

I'm always looking for ways to get some activity in my day, especially artwork, did I tell you I got rid of the trash can in my cube so I have to walk down the hallway to throw stuff away? Maybe a little mad myself... :)

:sunny:

Magicsusan
11-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Zumba, cut yourself some slack- you're handling a divorce and house move. Maybe try to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the moment (keep getting regular exercise, reaching for fruit instead of junk) and stop stressing yourself about the numbers. I wish you strength. It's a hard time you're shlogging through.

Kelijpa- especially artwork? ;) You could try putting your easel up next to the treadmill...
Seriously, it's kind of a hard time of year. There are parties constantly, the weather outside is frightful, to quote the song, and everybody is stressed and running short of time, which increases the liklihood of grabbing easy to get hold of junk instead of healthy options. I'm trying hard to stay organised and make sure we have good stuff in the house. Thatsaid, I must say, I eat a lot of bananas. :cb:

kelijpa
11-18-2013, 11:25 AM
MagicSusan, it was supposed to be "at work" :rofl: maybe an easel by the exercise bike will help when the newness wears off...

I did download an app yesterday called Craftsy to try and get a little creative over the winter, It said it had videos for knitting which reminded me of PatchworkPenguin :wave:

Mrs Snark
11-18-2013, 12:52 PM
That trash can idea is brilliant Kelijapa. I think you should do walking lunges to and from it when you throw things away. That won't earn you any funny looks from coworkers will it?

Hang in there Zumba, you've got alot going on!

I've been using my yearly Jan 1 life assessment to stay motivated through these tough months. When Jan 1 comes I want to look back over the year 2013 and feel good about what I accomplished and that means staying focused now in the run up to New Years. It has been a few years since I felt great on Jan 1, usually I'm busy yelling at myself for another year wasted.

Not this time! Let's all have a great finish to 2013!

kelijpa
11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
They might be looking at me now Mrs Snark as I laughed out loud reading your post...and picturing myself lunging down the hall...hahahaha

:sunny:

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Holy Cannoli I ran 2.5 miles. In 33 minutes. So more like a 13 minute mile but I ran 2.5 miles. :dance: Meeting my friend for breakfast then shopping after that. Thinking about going to Panera for breakfast. Decided to check out their menu online to plan ahead. There is apparently a low carb hidden menu. So I plan on having the power breakfast egg bowl with steak and a fruit cup with a tea. 340 calories so I have enough calories to splurge on some sugar in my tea with whole milk. Now to convince my friend to go to Panera.

Mrs Snark and Kelijpa: Totally laughing thinking about doing lunges while walking to the garbage. My friend Jeff thinks I should do a series of warm ups that consist of Lunges with walking. Toe hops. Kick Butts. Running Knees up. Rocket Kicks and the Gustep march. This is supposed to take a 1/2 mile. That would be the length of my neighborhood. I can just imagine the looks I would get with that:dizzy:

Susan: I need to get on the organizational wagon for myself to stay away from junk food and always have healthy options. Think I am going to leave some Luna bars in my car in the back. This is my first year dieting through the holidays.

LuvCats
11-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Hey all. :)

I'm with you at the recommitting to weight loss again, Sum. Same here on the disappointment. Better now than eating our way through Thanksgiving & Christmas though, huh?

You can do that fresh start Magicusan! Lol now that I relook I guess you must have posted yesterday about today. I'm sure it went well!

Lol love the "artwork" typo Keli.

Ha ha Mrs. Snark cute suggestion for the lunges. I love your assessment idea.

Great job on the run Carma!

I'm also finding myself needing to work on lowering cholesterol Zumba. I guess in one way it is good for me though--I finally have a firm reason to need to work at things. Not that feeling better/looking better/being healthy in general aren't reasons but they aren't quite so black and white. I've been googling non medication ways to try to lower it and trying to get a jump at lowering my weight/start exercising before I go back for the followup. At least I've caught this before I put back all the weight I have lost. Good luck to you in this too! :)

Javagal84
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Feeling mentally overwhelmed. Advice please. I have a whole list of bad habits that must go. How do you handle this? Tackle one a day, one every three days, one a week? Need to get going on these replacement behaviors. Drink more water, cut portion sizes, move more, etc. etc.

Also nodding my head yes yes yes you all rock on efforts!!! Great job and it's inspiring to me to see all the notes here about not giving up, recommitting, making fresh start, and getting up and moving. Running! Oh my. Wow wow wow. Awesome jobs!!

Hugs to all,
Javagal84

Sum38
11-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Nice to meet you Javagal84!

I have found my mojo!!!! Why does it escape us?? So infuriating. Here to :cheers: to OP living.

Keli...I love Mrs. S's idea of lunges to the garbage can...so hilarious. -- I could do it at home and kids would not even blink an eye; they are used to their mom being a tad bit eccentric....but I could get some attention at the Finnish center where I volunteer....lol

I am supposed to sign up for classes this Friday for my echo program and I am getting nervous. -- I have law school and business school behind me and this echo program scares me. I AM OLD! -- I feel like backing out and just concentrating on my volunteer work. -- I don't have to work... or that is what I keep telling myself. -- I know I could fill my days with volunteer work ( I just applied to volunteer for a local hospital) and exercise, I just don't know what to do. I wish someone gave me the answers.

End of rant :D

Magicsusan
11-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Hiya Javaga :welcome2:

You could try tackling several at once, but with small improvements? One extra glass of water, a 15 minute walk... Small changes that are keepable? Good luck, in any case, and check in often for motivation here :)

Hi Luvcats! Lol, it wasn't as fresh as I'd hoped, but it wasn't a total wash either. I need to get off my duff and make some humous. Good luck doing battle with the evil cholesterites!

Carma, I don't so much diet as damage control:lol:

I know it was just a typo, kelijpa, but the mental image was almost as good as the trash-path lunges Mrs Snark was talking about.

And Mrs Snark- yeah, the wasted year feeling... That's why my new motto is to start everything NOW, because I can look into the future and see how glad I'll be that I stared. Does that even make sense?

Time for bed, I think... Night, all!

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
:welcome3: to Javagal84 & Luvcats

Javagal: Try to do one small improvement each day. Switch soda for water. Go for a 15-20 minute walk. Add a serving of fruit or vegetables each day. Most important is you need to find something that works for you. I am a calorie counter but others I know do ideal protein or some other low carb. Find what works for you. Maybe list your trigger foods. I know if I have Dr Pepper it's all over with. Forgive yourself most of all.

Sum: glad to hear you and your mojo are one once again. The echo program will be tough but so worth it. Healthcare always needs understanding people and from all the volunteer work you do you must be.

Susan: Love the damage control philosophy:). Maybe that will work for me on the holidays/Christmas parties.

:wave:to everyone else.

Well the day didn't go as planned. Still slightly under calories but hoping my oatmeal with chia seeds will keep me full for the remainder of the night. As I am almost out of calories. Need to head off to Piloxing class:boxing::exercise:. I finished my lunch at 2pm so I think it should work. Enjoyed shopping with my friend and bought a couple of gifts. I now have 1 person completely done and 6 others started plus I picked up the specials teachers/nurse/secretaries & buss drivers gifts. Now to work on the remainder of the people. I also bought Cards to add a picture of the family to. Figuring it will be a cheaper option and the people can just take the picture off of the card and put it wherever.

guacamole
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Hello all! Haven't been doing well...going over calories over the past week. Doesn't help that PMS is in full force.

Got my cast off today! In its place a clunky boot and crutches. My ankle/leg/foot really hurts and my leg feels weak and stiff. This will be a long road. Feeling kind of down. I need to get back on track. Walked around for a good 45 minutes total downstairs on my crutches. Tired now!

Good luck, ladies!

newleaf123
11-19-2013, 09:40 PM
I am supposed to sign up for classes this Friday for my echo program and I am getting nervous. -- I have law school and business school behind me and this echo program scares me. I AM OLD! -- I feel like backing out and just concentrating on my volunteer work. -- I don't have to work... or that is what I keep telling myself. -- I know I could fill my days with volunteer work ( I just applied to volunteer for a local hospital) and exercise, I just don't know what to do. I wish someone gave me the answers.

I've been struggling with this, too. I went so far as to apply to a masters program in Food Studies in October, was accepted, and have to give my decision by the end of this month. I went in and sat in on a class... I just can't do it. During the class discussion, the tour, etc, I felt like I should be peering with the professor, the administrators, etc. Not the students. So... I'm going to say no. My school days are done (like you, I've already got 2 degrees). I'm trying to get into more volunteer work, specifically as a naturalist guiding preschoolers in journeys about nature and outdoors, and am open to a part-time job if the right thing came along. In essence, I'm just trying to find ways to feel more fulfilled and enriched.

Ugh. Definitely feels like I'm having a mid-life crisis. It was pretty bad about a month ago, but I'm feeling better about things now.

Chubby mum
11-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Nice to meet you Javagal84!

I have found my mojo!!!! Why does it escape us?? So infuriating. Here to :cheers: to OP living.

Keli...I love Mrs. S's idea of lunges to the garbage can...so hilarious. -- I could do it at home and kids would not even blink an eye; they are used to their mom being a tad bit eccentric....but I could get some attention at the Finnish center where I volunteer....lol

End of rant :D

I think you should go back to work...

I'm like you in that I don't absolutely *have* to work but even with four kids I've made a point of going back a day or two a week. Logistically, it's a huge pain - sorting out child care, pumping milk when they're little, sorting out after school activities etc for the big girls but overall I think it's worth it.

Firstly, it's something for me, as a professional, completely separate from the kids and my husband. I'm a specialised doctor so it took me a million years to get there, especially as most of my specialist training was done part time, juggling with the kids.

Secondly, and this is a bit more waffly, but I have three girls (and a baby boy) and I think it's important that they realise that if they choose to do extra study etc that they can make that work with a family. My two "big girls" are both bright and I want them to feel that they can pursue any field that they'd like. My 5 year old is really clever - her teacher reckons her literacy, maths and problem solving are about 5 years ahead, she could count to 100 and do basic addition by 2 years - I'd hate to send her (and her sisters) the message that further study gets you into a fantastic job/career that you give up when you have kids.

Work for me is also a way of making sure I don't over focus on the kids.

It's complicated, of course, by my own belief that being a mum *is* my most important role.

Full time work is out of the question for now though, and i'm even considering dropping down from two full days to one, with maybe some teaching thrown in.

That was a bit ranty, sorry!

Chubby mum
11-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I should add that the above implies that volunteer work isn't "real" work which isn't true and not how I meant to come across but I'm feeding the baby and am on my phone which always makes me less articulate!

Yay, DH is back (late) tonight so I'll at least be able to go running tomorrow. I'll be happy with no gain on my Friday weigh due to the impossibility of proper exercise this week.

I must say, I look at those of you who are at or near goal and I am sooo jealous.

newleaf123
11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
I'd hate to send her (and her sisters) the message that further study gets you into a fantastic job/career that you give up when you have kids.

Ouch! But I totally get what you are saying. On the other hand, I hope to be sending the message to my kids that there was nothing more important to their mother than their health and well being, which is why I stay home. I do know that I'm a bit of a dinosaur in that regard, but I worried about my kids paying the price for me continuing my career (in terms of lots of business travel and long hours by both myself and my husband, resulting in lots of daycare and few home-cooked meals).

Now I'm paying the price as I feel unable to easily step back into the workforce in the kind of position I'm accustomed to, but at the end of the day, I'm comfortable with the decisions I've made.

I don't think there is a right answer. Each woman and each family has to decide this one for themselves. And as long as we can look back satisfied, then it's all good. We are fortunate that having a choice is even an option; for many people, financial circumstances dictate that there is no choice.

newleaf123
11-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Ok, Absurdity day has come and my weight has gone the wrong direction, so absurdity has gotten the last laugh. I am refusing to be disgusted with myself, but am working to turn the boat. I think I have to move to not eating anything with added sugar in it, at least until Thanksgiving.

chubby mom I just want to add, I totally get what you are saying above. All power to you with 4 kids and maintaining your career. I wish I could have figured out how to balance both,but I couldn't. Maybe it's the nature of the careers. Mine involved long hours and lots of travel. When I finally quit, I had 3 business trips looming in the upcoming 5 weeks, after having just gotten back from 1. My baby suffered so much from those trips, I had to ask myself why I was doings this?

Mrs Snark
11-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Great discussion! I don't have children and I admire all of you for your thoughtful work-family balance strategies and decisions. Such tough choices!

I am also on the mid-life-crisis-having bandwagon. The thing that has been hitting me hard recently is watching my parents age. I do not like it at all.

Happy Absurdity Day, Heidi! I feel like there should be party hats for Absurdity Day. Just feels wrong without a hat. I can't remember if I ever got around to commenting on that post you found from early in the year and how you met all those goals you had set out for yourself. I thought that was so awesome! And I also like the "artificial color" strategy, how is that working out?

Sum38
11-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Okay, I did not mean to start any mommy wars :(

Like Heidi, I as well made the choice to stay at home because our family situation required it. My husband travels weekly, not every once in awhile, but each and every week, and has traveled throughout the years. When our DD was born consultants left on Sunday nights and returned home on Friday nights. It was brutal. -- I simply did not have the opportunity to work (part time was not an option since I was in a banking world) and take care of my baby/babies at the same time. So I made the choice to stay at home. -- I don't regret it. -- Over the years I have felt guilty that I was not contributing into the family finances, but my role as a full time and most times a single caregiver was more important. -- My kids have turned out wonderful. -- I don't think my daughter has any less ambition. She is in a field of study where she must get her masters. My son wants to be a doctor.

Looking back, I wish I had made different choices what came to my schooling. Medical field seems to be more flexible what comes to mothers and keeping up careers going at part time basis. Finance field is/was not a place to be. -- I wish I had become a pharmacist instead. So now at my advanced age, I have smartened up and thinking about a career at the medical field. :)

I also feel that my volunteer work is making a difference. I am bringing knowledge ( I work in the financial office) and youth to a dying (Finnish) center and I am helping to restore it. I am preserving Finnish culture for my children and their heritage.

I salute you for CM for keeping your career going. You must have made the "right" choice when it was time to choose your career. I envy that.

newleaf123
11-20-2013, 11:35 AM
I am also on the mid-life-crisis-having bandwagon. The thing that has been hitting me hard recently is watching my parents age. I do not like it at all.

I'm having a hard time with this, too... I'm trying to come to grips with mortality and it's just not easy.

I can't remember if I ever got around to commenting on that post you found from early in the year and how you met all those goals you had set out for yourself. I thought that was so awesome! And I also like the "artificial color" strategy, how is that working out?

I can't remember either! Thanks!! The "artificial color" strategy didn't work. Not because the strategy was flawed, but I just didn't follow it; I've been having a difficult time keeping food choices foremost in my mind. The scale reflects this. Today is good so far, both with exercise & food; I need to keep up the momentum.

:wave: to everyone! I haven't been around so much lately so I'm not up to date on everyone's happenings. Will try to be more vigilant and consistent :)

junem
11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I can join you all on the mid-life crisis wagon. I DO NEED to work! My staying in the "middle class" depends on it. Fortunately, I don't have children who are depending on me.

I just can't get motivated to job hunt. I have so enjoyed being unemployed for about 2 years. But now its time to get back to it. So hard to find the motivation!!!

Mrs Snark
11-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Love those glasses Heidi!

It is pouring rain here. Ugly. I just did a run even though my hip is hurting me (bone spur and arthritis this is acting up) -- naughty, but I needed the endorphin boost. Hopefully I won't pay for it later tonight in pain.

I think I have decided I want to push for a little more loss in December instead of just maintaining. I'd be satisfied to lose 2 pounds to 145 and then stay consistently under that. Which really means losing more like 5 to have a fluctuation buffer. So, aiming to see 142 on the scale before the year's end, and stay consistently under 145 once I've seen that. I might be overreaching, but as long as I try I'll be satisfied with whatever I end up with.

If I put it in writing I have to try, right?

newleaf123
11-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Love those glasses Heidi!

Thanks. They are really fun, sort of a green and black leopard print. I hope you got what you needed out of your run, and think it's great to have a goal to strive for through the month of December.

I am not happy with my weight. I knowingly returned to old behaviors, and got the results that I knew I would get. So... back at it. So far so good today. I did 35 solid minutes on the elliptical this AM, and food has been great. I just need to keep stacking up good hours one on top of the other, which eventually leads to good days and good weeks. I need to get back below 155, and then take stock from there.

This AM's weigh-in was shocking (ticker is accurate) and I'm hoping it's just a momentary high with a big whoosh in the next couple of days. I've never believed in the whoosh fairy, but if she's out there... I need her!

Chubby mum
11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
I hope I didn't sound too forceful and i absolutely wasn't having "a go" newleaf! If I came across like that it's just because I'm so ambivalent myself. If I'd had to choose between working a lot or not at all I'd have stayed at home and I'm lucky that work allows a very part time option for now. Having chosen to be like the Old Woman Who Lives in the Shoe I've also accepted that, in our family, things are smoother and happier with someone mainly at home. I know we're lucky to be able to afford it.

It is something I think about a lot, at medical school there were a few women who chose career paths specifically because they'd be compatible with a family whereas I just assumed they'd "fit in" with work only to find I felt differently once they were born.

I do think that child rearing is undervalued in society - maybe feminism not going far enough? I also think women are really hard on each other. I remember going to a sort of CV presentation by a fetal medicine specialist who was listing her research and achievements, both of which were formidable. At the end of it there was a pic of her playing with her children and as we left a few nurses in front of me made disparaging comments about how "unimportant" her family must have been in order for her to achieve so much. I remember feeling upset that these women couldn't just recognise that this specialist had made a huge contribution to her field and applaud her for that, rather than being disparaging about her choices. If she had been a man she could have had 20 kids without people questioning her commitment to her family.

Anyway, I'd better go and sort out the school run. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Chubby mum
11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
PS. I don't think I've made any weight loss progress this week. I need to lose at least 5 pound by Christmas - my skinny, body conscious sister is coming and ill put her off having children forever if I'm still so chubby.

I'm going to go for some hard hill runs this weekend, even if it's stormy.

newleaf123
11-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Chubby Mum you didn't offend me. I think we all struggle with the same thoughts, and the struggle itself is a luxury. Like you, I thought my kids would "fit in" with work, only to find I felt differently once they were born. Truly, it was laughable. I thought I could drop them off at daycare, work my 10-hour day, pick them up, and then put them in the nursery at the gym so I could exercise. LOL so naive

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Looking back, I wish I had made different choices what came to my schooling. Medical field seems to be more flexible what comes to mothers and keeping up careers going at part time basis. Finance field is/was not a place to be. -- I wish I had become a pharmacist instead. So now at my advanced age, I have smartened up and thinking about a career at the medical field. :)

I also feel that my volunteer work is making a difference. I am bringing knowledge ( I work in the financial office) and youth to a dying (Finnish) center and I am helping to restore it. I am preserving Finnish culture for my children and their heritage.

I salute you for CM for keeping your career going. You must have made the "right" choice when it was time to choose your career. I envy that.

My friend who is Mom to 4 kids had the same problem when she decided to start raising a family. She worked in accounting but had to do long hours. She really was annoyed that her guidance counselor didn't steer her in the right direction. For the record my Guidance counselor thought I should be a perfume saleswoman. I later was his nurse and we had a good laugh about it.
I am lucky that being a nurse it has given me flexible hours. Granted, I have worked many a Christmas eve night shift and had my kids have to wait until I go home to see what Santa brought them. Now I am in a job that I don't work weekends or holiday's and am able to be there for a lot of their social life things. They do understand
It's unfortunate that more places in the business world don't help with family life for men and women. I think that is one thing we have wrong in the US. So many other countries put family first and it's considered the norm, not the exception.
I do regret having to go back to work as early as I did with both my kids. (I went back after 7 weeks) My daughter got very sick and was hospitalized at 3.5months old. Although my sisters son was hospitalized at an early age and she was a stay at home Mom so it happens. Bottom line is there are + & - with both choices.

guacamole
11-20-2013, 07:25 PM
newleaf123 - I admire the choices you have made. I had no choice but to work for most of my marriage. I feel like my older children did suffer because of my long hours and inability to fully be there for them - I was so exhausted and stressed. When I started working from home, that was a great balance. My younger kids barely knew I worked! I was there for carpool, school events, lots of flexibility. I got laid off 2 1/2 years ago, and haven't worked since. I've enjoyed not working, especially when I was losing weight. I focused on my health. Since my weight loss has stalled and I have regained....suddenly I don't feel so great about not working. It's kind of like weight loss was my job, but now I feel like I am failing at that. I have been thinking that I should get another job so that I feel successful again, but I really don't want to go back to what I used to do. I have been focusing a lot on writing, which is what I really want to do. However, it seems like a pipe dream.

I wonder what the connection is between weight loss and feelings of success in general?

Sum38
11-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Guacamole, how are you adjusting to your boot?

guacamole
11-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Sum - I am getting more confident, bit by bit. It's scary putting my weight down again, and I get tired out easily. However, I did the stairs today, and spent time walking with the crutches. Hard to believe I took walking for granted before!

Thanks for asking! :hug:

Sum38
11-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Funny that you said that you took walking for granted. After my accident, I feel so lucky to be walking and wearing heels :D No running or skiing for me though. My family feels bummed out that I can not ski....shhh...secretly I am happy about it. I get to stay at the lodge or go shopping and not be cold :D

A friend of mine was in a walking boot for 10 weeks or so, the day it came off she dropped a kitchen chair on her toe (broke it) and the boot came right back on....count your blessings! --- This too shall pass!!

Hugs!!!

newleaf123
11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
tooWicky I just saw your face side by side on another thread. Wow! You are doing so well... What a difference a year makes, eh?

guac thanks for your compliment. Good luck with your crutches. I'm sure you will get your strength back soon! Generally speaking, we take our health and even our life for granted... Little reminders are good things; thank you!

soon2bSkinny, sum, chubbyMum, juneM, thanks for sharing your career stories. Fascinating topic!

I wrote my "decline" letter to the director of the masters program I was considering. But I would love to work at the University helping to administer he program, so I've made some good contacts and left the door open.

Been busy here, gearing up for serving thanksgiving dinner for 16. My favorite holiday... But trying to focus on the entertainment aspect of it, and not the food... Great food day today. I want to keep that up!

kelijpa
11-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Great reading up on everyone's posts, great topic. I'm feeling a bit of that looking for something more to do, like some charitable work of some sort. I was not blessed with kids, seems like my friends with kids each did things differently some stayed home, some went back to work full time, one of our nephews stayed home with the baby so his wife could continue with her career, it's interesting to hear how everyone adapts to life changes.

I attended a pre-retirement seminar today, I'll be eligible in 5 years, it would be great to retire in my 50s. Old thing that I am :rofl: it was an eye opener. Anyway, as I was saying, I'm looking for some sort of project...

Guac- hope you're healing goes well, be careful when you get out of that boot, Sum's friend is a cautionary tale, sounds like something I would do...:sunny:

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 07:18 AM
kelijpa my DH hopes to retire at 55, too. Which is in 7 years. It is hard to conceive of the financial security, but I guess he will make that decision when the time comes. I hope it works out that way, there are so many things I want to do with him. Would your DH be retiring around the same time as you?

158.5 this AM - PHEW!! Good to know that there is a number out there that will scare me straight!

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 09:24 AM
love2b150 how are you these days? Have you been able to stick in the low 180s? YOu are doing so well!!

patchworkPenguin how is the knitting coming? Does it get really hectic with the holidays coming? I would imagine that there is a real demand for the items you donate.

bindii at the beginning of the month, you were disheartened because you were eating properly and exercising with no scale change. Have things gotten better for you?

yashisMom welcome! And definitely count the early-AM naked weight...

chubbyMum I'm so glad you jumped right in! I'm not sure if I ever gave you a proper welcome... I've been hit or miss this month in terms of checking in... Breastfeeding is such a wonderful thing; something I look back on with a lot of fondness.

soon2bSkinny you were stagnant at the beginning of the month. Things getting better? How is your MIL doing? We are cheering you on for crossing into Onderland!! :carrot: Are you there yet permanently? You can do this!!

MrsSnark you are such a constant source of cheerful and fun support and advice, all around the boards. So happy you've joined us!

Sum your dress for Mamma Mia was so pretty! I bet you rocked it!! Hope your day is off to a good start :) Hey, I ate too much wonderful beef stew last week, too. We are so in this together! :cheers: to OP living, indeed.

Zumba you have been on such a wild and crazy ride for so long now. I hope with the move and the finalization, you start to get to define your new normal :hug:

MagicSusan you are doing such an awesome job. I hope your kids are doing better :hug:

Guac it's nice to have you posting again. I always enjoy your writing; I hope you get your big break!

Kelijpa So glad you are still posting here. That's what I don't like about these age-based boards... we don't want to push you out!!

TwoTots how are you doing?

SweatIsFatCrying how are things going?

LuvCats So nice to see you again!! Good luck with the cholesterol lowering. When I researched this once, the 2 changes that I came up with that I wasn't already doing were green tea (which seems to be good for so many things) and whole grains (which I wasn't eating) It turns out I don't have a cholesterol problem, but I've kept with those 2 changes anyway.

JavaGal How are you doing? Have you made a plan of attack? For me, personally, I find that choosing 1 thing to change at a time, adjusting to it, and then changing the next thing, works best. But each person is an experiment of 1, and you will find what's best for you.

JuneM you've been quiet this month. How's everything going?

My day is off to a good start. Nice breakfast of cappuccino and steel cut oats with pureed pumpkin & spices mixed in. Going to go jump on to the elliptical now. See you...

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
OK... staved myself off until a reasonable lunchtime. I'm hungry! Hmmm... what to have, what to have. I've got some roasted beets in the fridge, which I made a new way, so I definitely will have to have those.

:carrot::broc::carrot:

Mrs Snark
11-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Roasted beets! That sounds lovely! I'm not sure I've ever had those, only beets out of a jar I think. I am so lame (particularly for a vegan).

I will add beets to my grocery list. Simple roasting is actually about the only thing I can do in the kitchen, so how bad could I muck them up?

junem
11-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Heidi,
Thanks for asking. I have been quiet this month because I have been out of town, staying with a family member who is having some medical and life problems. I was not generally in range of any wi fi, so difficult to check in. But I am back home now.

In deference to his privacy I won't give too much detail. But watching his life spiral out of control makes me want to give the following 2 pieces of advice to anyone listening.

1)Be thankful if you are blessed with good health, especially good mental health! 2)Take care of your heart. And never, never smoke! People think its the lungs that suffer, but it is equally the heart.

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Good advice, JuneM. I am so grateful for my physical health; I don't often stop and think about my mental health, too. What a gift. And I'm sure your family so appreciates you for all the support you have given over the last month. Even if the person afflicted isn't able to, all the other relatives surely must. :hug: Thanks for posting! And keep up the good work!!

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Mrs. Snark Two easy ways to roast beets.

Wash thoroughly and wrap in aluminum foil.

OR

Peel with a carrot peeler, rinse, and then slice into about 1/3" thick slices. Toss lightly in olive oil. Arrange flat on a cookie sheet that you have lined with aluminum foil. Grind fresh pepper over top.

THEN in either case, pop in 400-degree oven. About 30 min for the slices; about an hour depending on size for the whole beets.

Mrs Snark
11-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Heidi - I can do that (I say with relief!)! Thank you for the instructions! I will be having roasted beets at some point this weekend!

JuneM -- Your advice, so spot on, thanks for reminding me to be thankful for the health I have. While not perfect, it could be SO much worse. Being a caregiver is exhausting, be sure to take care of YOU now too!

Sum38
11-21-2013, 04:38 PM
I pretty much love all food (duh), but beets don't meet the cut :rofl:

Mrs Snark
11-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Since Heidi mentioned beets I have been unable to get that scene from the show The Office out of my head.

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. *giggle*

Sum38
11-21-2013, 06:17 PM
:lol:

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-21-2013, 08:10 PM
soon2bSkinny you were stagnant at the beginning of the month. Things getting better? How is your MIL doing? We are cheering you on for crossing into Onderland!! :carrot: Are you there yet permanently? You can do this!!

Wow weren't you ambitious with your personals today, lol.
Sadly getting sick last week didn't help. I wasn't low enough on the diet and didn't get anywhere near enough exercise. Thinking Today's weigh in of 202.8 was combination of sodium and some bloat/ ovulation issues. I think I may be toning with inches up since so many people are telling me I look like I lost more weight. I didn't measure myself so my only way of knowing would be to try on some pants that just fit me the other day. Will report back tomorrow and maybe measure myself. I am hoping to see Onderland by the weekend as I have been good on diet today and should have no issue tomorrow I will also be over 375 minutes of exercise with 2 days left to go.
My MIL is still in the hospital. Her platelet count hit a low of 3000. She is a hard match. They think she had what is called ITP. Chubbymum would know what it is. Basically your body is rapidly losing platelets your clotting blood product. Normal level is 150000, they start transfusing at 30000 so 3000 is scary. She may be moving to a SNF soon. Her platelet count is on the rise(18000) despite being 3 days with no transfusion as they haven't been able to match her requirements. Thanks for asking about her.

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Sounds stressful soon2bSkinny. I hope she gets that match soon... Great job on managing your weight through all this stress; I'm sure it hasn't been easy...

kelijpa
11-21-2013, 09:48 PM
NewLeaf, you look so cute in your new pic, not sure if I ever said that.

I like beets, too, and like Sum said, lots of other things...lol

Carma, so sorry to hear what you're going through with your MIL :hug:

Laying in bed with a bit of a headache, hope I wake up and it's gone.

newleaf123
11-21-2013, 09:51 PM
NewLeaf, you look so cute in your new pic, not sure if I ever said that.

Awwww, thanks! In reality I'm not particularly cute but I know how to snap a good selfie -- which I heard today is the Oxford Dictionary's word of the year LOL I still remember being taught the word by my 12-year-old LOL I hope your headache gets better soon!

Chubby mum
11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Great personals, new leaf. I feel very inadequate in comparison but this thread moves so fast!

I'm sorry about your MIL Carma, are they considering steroids or immunoglobulin? I personally think how your clothes fit are more important than the actual number on the scale; once I'm back in my skinny jeans I'll never weigh again!

My weight this morning was still 173, I didn't expect it to change, I don't lose weight without proper exercise. I still think I'm fluid retaining though and I'm sure I'm lighter if the baby has just fed! Adding pumping to my weigh-in ritual of going to the bathroom and stripping naked would probably be taking it too far though...

I'm going to run hard this weekend and get back on track.

Javagal84
11-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Hello everyone,
Wow I'm encouraged just reading!

Well, for myself, I'm still thinking about my own strategy, but I know I need to settle in quickly. All my clothes are not fitting properly anymore. I won't go into detail because that causes emotional tail-spins for me, but I've not remembered feeling this crowded in my own skin ever before. That's bad. Ok, 'nuff said.

Food-wise, I am having a hard time thinking about swearing completely off all grains/starches as when I was doing Atkins. Yes, I did see amazing results, but ultimately I know I went into deprivation backlash eventually. And for this week, seems like I've been pretty ok eating a small breakfast and then a moderate lunch late in the afternoon... Not hungry then at dinner time and I just focus on hydrating until bedtime. Don't know what that's going to do to my weigh-in. I'm just trying to not overeat, and to eat only if I'm hungry.

We're just getting started with the snow and ice here, so my exercise for the season will necessarily be all indoors. I used to be an outdoors girl in winter, then I had all sorts of things happen to my immune system, and I stay healthy by avoiding overexposure now. DH is working on revamping the workout room, and we just got ahold of a second used treadmill, so our plans are to get both units arranged so we can both do the treadmills together... Big plans, but I must keep expecting to see those things happen.

My health issues drove me to sign into a different forum site where I am specifically trying to cope as I share with others who are there dealing with similar or identical conditions. The past few days I've had an awful time trying to get sleep and not feel like I'm emotionally coming apart at the seams. MCS and RLS plus circulatory issues in my legs and chest along with menopause. Ok! So this morning whilst driving to work I purposefully listed 5 things I am happy about. Midway through my list, I did a sliding turn on ice with an over correction in the steering to stay on track. Woo hoo, glad I already know how to drive on ice and snow :)

Working on my inner peace. Today I put together a new set of prayer beads. My old set wore out from poor construction and use. The old one was just knots with a few beads, this new one is all beads. I'm not a Catholic, I am a simple Christian, but I use the beads to help me focus as I pray, and I find that using them help me very much to remain calm and regain my peace if I'm struggling...

So, also this week I've had to cope as DH had some heart episodes, went to get an EKG to send to the specialist when his heart was skipping beats at work. Also he's been in and out of a-fib, and even though we're learning not to panic each time now, it still drives me into immediate prayer to avoid me melting down. After all I'm his person, he needs me to be strong for him.

Next week is my Moms 1-month MRI checkup from her brain surgery last month, the second one since May 1st when we learned she had a very rare tumor on her cerebellum. She's 75, and I'm her person, too...

Anyhow, too much info, sorry, but now you get why I am mia on the chat boards. I hope I can participate more often than not, it really helps.

You all are great, I'm quietly cheering for you and hoping to share my own successes as I go on :)

Take care,
Javagal84

newleaf123
11-22-2013, 07:41 AM
javaGal it sounds like you have a lot going on! Just join in when and where you can...

chubbyMum I go in spurts; posting a lot to barely posting. You can tell where my mindset is based on how much I post... Yeah, that would be over the top to pump before weighing LOL

Sum38
11-22-2013, 08:19 AM
The day is here when I am supposed to register for my classes, and I am not getting ready which means I have decided against the schooling. -- I just don't want to commit to it for 2 1/2 years, not at this point. I hope I won't regret it later. :dunno:

I have lots of energy and passion as my DH puts it for other things in life, mainly for my volunteer work. -- I think I will also need to focus on this weight loss and eating healthy. I have been eating lots of candy lately. I don't know why, and I need to focus on nutrition.

So there, the choice is made and no turning back.

newleaf123
11-22-2013, 08:29 AM
sum :hug: you have so much to offer and the Finnish center is so lucky to have you. I wish I could stop in and see what all you guys do! I don't know if this factored into your decision or not, but my kids are older like your kids, and honestly, I had a hard time shelling out $33,000 for another masters degree that I don't need, when the kids are nearing college age. :hug:

Sum38
11-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Carma So sorry about your MIL! I hope she will start healing soon.

Heidi nice picture and I love your glasses.

Javagal84 A lot on your plate right now, I am sending you strength!

Chubby mum I wish I could ditch my scale, but I am truly addicted :lol:

kelijpa I hope you are feeling better this morning!

Sum38
11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
That was another factor Heidi, it would have come to $30K and I already have a child in college and another one is about to start....and thier college is not cheap.

kelijpa
11-22-2013, 09:57 AM
JavaGal :hug: wishing you the best, sounds like you have a good plan for weight loss. I've done the low carb with great success but just could not go back to it...so I keep carbs in mind but just try to stay away from the bad ones. Recently keeping track of my eating and exercise has really helped me, I was kind of stalled most of this year, thought I was doing good, but obviously needed some tweaks. Best of luck to you in all you're going through!

You are quite good with the selfie NewLeaf!

Thanks for the good wishes, my headache is mostly gone, feeling ecstatic to weigh in at 160.5 this morning...I have to attribute this recent success to the combination of 3FC, C25K, myfitnesspal and run keeper really underneath those apps is keeping track of my intake (food/drink in) and outgo (exercise) and checking in with others going through the same things, coming on 3FC keeps getting healthy at the front of my mind, thanks everyone!!

I also made a chart in lily slim of my weekly weigh-ins, looking back over the whole year inspired me as well, I write my weight on the calendar every day that I weigh-in it's a great tool when I look back. I didn't realize (forgot) that I had made it into the 150's a few times this past year, that inspired me to believe I could make it possibly by the end of the year.

Wow, didn't expect my post to go on this long...thanks for listening!

newleaf123
11-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Wow, I just poached an egg in the microwave - awesome. Put some water in a custard cup. Crack the egg into it. Poke the yolk a couple times with a toothpick. Microwave for 2 min on 50% power. Let sit for a minute, then pour cup into a slotted spoon and return egg to cup. Throw on some pepper. Delicious!

It's amazing what you can come up with by googling. I started by looking for high protein low calorie food because breakfast left me hungry, and ultimately came up with this. I'll definitely add it to my repertoire!

Mrs Snark
11-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Kelijpa - Congrats on the great weigh-in! I'm glad your headache is better, too!

I'm a huge chart devotee; whenever if feel "blah" or "blerg" or "meh" I look at my chart to re-inspire myself. It is so helpful to see all the effort graphically for some reason. It it almost like I'm reintroducing myself... to myself!

As in: Look what that chick did, wow, oh wait, that's meeeeeee! If I can do that I can do anything. So funny, but true!

Heidi - I hate to disagree, but I disagree: you are indeed just that cute. I'm sure your selfie-snapping skills are great, but don't diss your actual cuteness -- the camera has alot to work with!

ChubbyMom - I exhale really hard every time I get on the scale. I don't wear my contacts either, lol. It's funny the rituals we develop around weighing on the scale!

Javagirl - Waaay back, before I was a vegan I did Atkins very successfully. My mom does it as well (she still does). Once we both got past induction we found we were able to eat a fair number of healthy carbs, it really worked well. I think I did induction level of carbs for like 2 months or more. It really helped me to break my carb addiction and man did it suppress hunger! I'd probably still be a low carb eater if I ate animal products. I feel my personal eating style puts me at a bit of a biological disadvantage, but I do my best to avoid junky carbs.

Sum - tough decisions, I know. A couple of years ago I almost went back to law school. To prepare for that kind of schooling I went to the local community college and started taking paralegal classes, so I'd have teacher reco's and also internship experience. After earning a paralegal cert and interning at a law firm I discovered that, NO, I didn't want to start being a lawyer at my age. Waaaaay too many negative interactions for me. ****, I didn't even want to be a paralegal. So there's a cert I'll probably never use again. At least it cost less and was easier than if I'd gone right into law school only to make the same discovery.

Chubby mum
11-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Sum-your going to back to work ambivalence resulted in a great discussion though! Nice change from food and diet.

It's hot here. I've been for a run this morning but it was pretty short as I also slept in (till 7 30, lol) and didn't get out for another hour. This meant I couldn't stay out for too long but the sleep was worth it.

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Ugh, Sodium why must you mess with me. Stayed under calories. Not by the 500 I like but over sodium so my 200.0 lb Friday weigh in is up to 201.0 this am. So frustrated.

Chubby Mum: They did a series of IVIG don't think they did steroids. I will ask tomorrow when I visit. Her count was actually only up to 15000 my in-laws misheard the 18000. She was down to 14000 yesterday. They are talking about nursing home placement but need to find one that will take her expensive antibiotics. She has an infection in her back. Not from a surgery she just formed an infection in her back. She was almost paralyzed. She had major back surgery and has a cage in place. They can't remove the cage from the front as they can't get through all her major abdominal work Ileal conduit and Colostomy. Oh and did I mention she has a Sarcoma in her abdomen from her radiation years ago? It really is a miracle she is still alive. Glad you got to go for your run. Although it was short.

Kelijpa: Hope you woke up pain free.

Sum:Glad you finally decided on what to do with college. I must admit I wasn't even thinking of the expense. If your volunteer work fills your days and your desire for contact and financially you can swing it then it sounds like you have found a solution.

Heidi: going to have to try that egg thing.

Mrs Snark: I hear you on the graphing. I like to look at my overall trend on MFP.

Javagirl: It sounds like your under a ton of stress. That is what drove me to my weight loss this year. My Mother was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer last November. She passed away in June. Like I said I chose calorie counting because it worked for me. It sounds like you are good with prayer so maybe the 5-15-30 plan a doctor I know talks about would work. Each day eat all 5 colors of fruit and vegetables. Red, Orange/Yellow, Blue/Purple, White/brown, and Green. Meditate for 15 minutes. Get 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise. It's simple and does work. I found obsessing about the little stuff made me stress less about the big stuff. Maybe I should go back to the colors.

HI to Zumba, Love, Guac, Bindi, Penguin, Susan, Twotots, sweatisfatcrying,luvcats and yashi's mom.

Javagal84
11-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Carma, wow, thanks! 5-15-30 I had never heard of before! I will look into it. Seems like a good fit and very doable. Yesterday I actually got on my treadmill for 30 minutes. Yay me! I've got to find a way to ramp off the eating on my days off alone ("stop! Where's the off button!? Not hungry means don't eat that!") and yesterday I ate all day :/ yes, you're right, I'm under a ton of stress.

Sodium! Carma, you can do t! Hang in there, drink extra water, the scale will show you onederland very soon :). Hugs to you and your family. Glad to see she had a response, but I really relate. Hope you find a caring competent facility or home where she can get the care she needs. DH and I went through similar journey last year placing my mil in a group home. California has an advocate program, we had an angel (I call him) who researched and facilitated mil's placement (for free!) into a beautiful group home. She's pampered and very well-cared for now, thank God. Hope and pray you find a place for her and she gets solutions for her list of medical issues. Hugs hugs hugs. And I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm still getting over losing my Dad 3 years ago, and almost losing my Mom this year twice from brain cancer it just still gangs up on me sometimes emotionally. Be extra nice to yourself as often as needed.

Thanks, kelijpa, I'm in a similar view now, keeping mindful, but I'm not feeling like I can go back to strict Atkins. Hope that headache thing goes away. I'm thinking of c25k but I need to get into a daily treadmill habit first, I'm soooo out of shape I'm thinking it's not good for me to jump in until I get some stamina. Right now I'm close to zero, but hope I can get started on c25k in another 7 to 10 days.

Heidi, love the egg idea. Microwave is so easy :)

Mrs Snark, how long have you been tracking on your calendar? What do you write? I need to get back to using my calendar. Do you pick a certain day of the week? Frequency?

Chubby mum, good job on the run! It's a challenge to balance rest and exercise sometimes. But good for you getting extra rest :)

Sum38
11-23-2013, 10:33 AM
It is snowing :yay: My DS will be happy. More snow we have, more money he makes. He is a snowboarding, and possibly skiing, instructor during the winter months.

I had a fabulous eating and exercise day (4.2 mile walk and 40 min of weights) yesterday. I did not eat any junk. Perhaps my future, and what to do with it was weighing heavy on my mind and I took it out on candy :devil: I have been quite stressed out over many issues... So I am going to emerge myself to volunteer work and getting in shape.

My first goal is to get back under 150 lbs! Since I am only a few pounds away from it, it should happen relatively fast.

So :cheers: to good health!

Sum38
11-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Mrs S I keep a google spreadsheet, I record my weight, mood, weight change, exercise and measurements. -- I love spread sheets.

Carma Onderland can be such a tease!! I will keep my fingers crossed that you'll get there this weekend! :crossed:

Keli Woot on your new low!!! At this rate you will zoom past me! :D

Javagal84 Congrats on your 30 min on treadmill!

Chubby mum It is 25F here and snowing! :dizzy: -- My DH was born in Australia and kids have Australian citizenships, one day we will venture out there.

Heidi Isn't google wonderful!! I'll definitely try that.

I hope Zumba's move is going smoothly!!

newleaf123
11-23-2013, 01:03 PM
sum candy and major stress is what drove me up the scale the last time I yo-yo'd up a few years ago. I'm glad you've recognized the monster and put it back in its corner.

Since junky candy is my major trigger and downfall, I've decided to go added-sugar-free until the night before Thanksgiving. Today makes Day 4 and it honestly hasn't been difficult, at least not yet. We bought our tradition of fudge for the first night of Chanukah, coming up on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to that (dark chocolate sea salt caramel for me - yum!) and of course Thanksgiving on Thursday will have sugar. Then, my plan is right back to sugar free. Seeing 161 on the scale earlier this week was shocking and frightening. Back down to 157 today so I'm successfully reversing course.

Mrs Snark
11-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Look what I got! Nom nom nom. (http://blissagogo.blogspot.com/2013/11/fact-bears-eat-beets-bears-beets.html)

newleaf123
11-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Look what I got! Nom nom nom. (http://blissagogo.blogspot.com/2013/11/fact-bears-eat-beets-bears-beets.html)

LOL, and YUM!! How will you prepare them? I am quite taken with the peel / slice / toss / pepper / roast. I have been sitting on a celeriac that came in my CSA a couple of weeks ago... Still not quite sure what to do. I may roast it up today to see what happens...

Mrs Snark
11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty much going to do exactly what you said above. I may chop them into slightly smaller squares instead of round slices. I'm also going to saute up the greens in garlic and olive oil and will probably eat the two together. I love greens. Can't wait for dinner time.

newleaf123
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I love the sauteed greens, too.

guacamole
11-23-2013, 09:18 PM
You ladies are making me hungry! Love beets, love the microwave poached egg idea (since I can only make simple things now), love the dark chocolate sea salt caramel!!!! :)

You ladies seem to be able to drop pounds quickly like nobodies business! If I go up a few due to salt or water, it still takes quite a while to get back down. Anyway, TOM is here..ugh. I feel like a blimp. I will get on the scale in a day or two, but it's not going to be pretty. Took a wheelchair to a friend's celebration - it wasn't easy getting dressed in real clothes again! Started rehab on Friday. I have major work to do.

I will not give in to all the fat that is begging to come back!

kelijpa
11-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Yummy beets.

Guac, I love dark chocolate too, just finished off some with almonds, glad treats are done. Stay strong, keep at it, you've got this!

junem
11-24-2013, 10:52 AM
At the risk of this becoming a cooking forum, :) ....

I tried newleaf's poached egg technique, after seeing it again on Bon Apetit's website. I started with cold water and a relatively flat bowl. Results were mixed. It took 1min40sec. in my microwave, and the edges were a bit ragged. Still, it was tasty and EASY. I will be doing it again, but will try a different bowl.

Thanks for the tip Heidi.

Sum38
11-24-2013, 11:22 AM
I love cooking tips!! I spend a lot of my time surfing the web for new receipts! So keep 'em coming :D

I had the perfect OP day. I am so happy that I could cry! Finally! Oddly scale went up a bit, but it is just water fluctuations, hopefully I'll start seeing downward trend once again :crossed:

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? -- My MIL is hosting it and she is experimenting with foods, therefore I am not quite sure what to expect. -- I plan to have some turkey and trimmings but not go overboard and since I don't drink, I am saving a lot of calories.

It is c-o-l-d here in Michigan. I think I will get my walk in soon and later on hit the gym for some weights.

I made my meal plan for the day. I did the same yesterday and stuck to it. I just plug everything in at MFP and follow the plan for the day. I used to do it a week at a time, made grocery shopping easy, and made my life quite uncomplicated what came to food. And I lost weight :) :)

Can you tell that I think I finally found my mojo? :rofl: And luckily I did not do that much damage what came to my weight.

Sending hugs to all my wonderful online peeps. :grouphug:

kelijpa
11-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Mrs Snark, I am using your "plan" today, I knew yesterday wasn't going to be a great day. It really wasn't horrible, but I know by now every meal in one day can't be off plan. The scale rewarded me with a whoosh in the wrong direction! I happened to read your blog earlier in the day and wanted to let you know it's really helping me to be in a positive state of mind today. It's a great plan.

Having a great healthy OP day today.

I love poached eggs, can't wait to try NewLeaf's technique.

Mrs Snark
11-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Kelijpa - oh yay, I'm glad my plan helped in any way! That really is great! I'm sorry you had a rough day, but knowing that one cruddy day isn't the be-all, end-all, is so key! Attitude is so important! I'm glad to hear yours is positive!

newleaf123
11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Glad to see you guys are liking the eggs. Today I got motivated and tried to do 2 in one bowl. Ugh... total mess. Explosion. Maybe one day next week I'll try the single again.

Thanksgiving is at our house. Everyone expects the same food that I have made for the last 7 years. It will be a way off plan day. That's okay. It's one day. Chanukah starts the night before, and we have our extended family brunch on Sunday (3 days after Thanksgiving). Not ideal. I will have to be really mindful that day...

Glad to hear you've had a couple great days, sum. I guess that decision was weighing on you pretty heavily.

Sum38
11-25-2013, 10:06 AM
The cold weather continues.

I made these http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/holiday-magic-how-make-your-own-alaska-ice-lanterns last night and they turned out really pretty. I kept popping the balloons though and it was cold...lol I got 9 out of packet of 15; I did get better towards the end. I will make some more tonight and line them up on the front of the house for some xmas lights.

Diet wise I stayed OP yet another day. :yay:

guacamole
11-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Hello all! Happy almost Thanksgiving! I apologize for being a Debbie Downer lately. I think between TOM, and having to wear outside clothes again as I become more mobile, I am feeling so heavy. I stepped on the scale yesterday (wrong TOM to do it) to 163. All of my winter clothes are tight, and I feel so angry at myself! It doesn't help that my ankle is killing me with every step, and now my back seems to be giving me trouble as I get readjusted to walking upright. Somehow, it seems like I can't bounce back from this injury, and the downward slide back into obesity is around the bend. I need to get my mojo back big time, and the holiday season is a tough time to do it.

Hoping you all have a successful and on plan day!

newleaf123
11-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Guac, sorry the going is tough right now, physically and mentally. I don't think obesity is around the corner for you. While maybe you haven't been losing, you have a LOT of maintaining experience over the last year, and I know you will keep on keeping on :hug:

Sum love the ice globes; how fun!

kelijpa
11-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Guac - today DH had some pre-admission testing for a procedure he's having for some breathing obstruction in his nose, it happened that while he was in having some blood drawn one of the nurses started talking to the mother of a young man that was there for some ligament surgery on his ankle. You may be wondering why I'm going on about this...she (the nurse) said she was just back to work after having similar surgery, also some tendon repair, she said that she was doing well, but that the recovery was easily as long as they had told her, she said she thought she was a superwoman and would be recovered in half the time, she went for physical therapy while I was waiting. My point I guess is be patient with your recovery, get yourself healed, my belief is the holidays are a good time for maintaining, a loss is a bonus, but really, don't be too hard on yourself (and I'll try and take my own advice and not be too hard on myself as well).

soon2beskinnyCarma
11-25-2013, 11:33 PM
No time for personals today. I will be off radar for a few days. My eyes are way too puffy and red to read a lot. While at work today I heard a rapid response called over head to my MIL room. Called the floor to confirm to be told she was bleeding out. I called my husband and stressed he needed to get to the hospital ASAP. I couldn't leave my patients exercising as I was the only nurse today in the exercise lab. Then I get a call from the nurse who runs my old floor that I fill in and am told that the doctor wants to speak to me. She tells me I need to get over there. My friend came over to cover for me and I get there in time to have my MIL apologize to me for the fact that she will be dying soon and to tell me that I have been a good DIL. They got her stabilized she bled out 4L of bloody urine/clots. She is in critical care being watched over by my co-workers on medication known as a vasopressor(this basically pumps the blood from your extremities to your heart, brain and lungs.) We are hoping to get her transferred home on hospice tomorrow. I had to bring two kids into the CCU. Normally have to be 14, it pays to have friends in high places. I also had to be the one to inform the whole family of the fact that her cancer has apparently spread. Hate being the only nurse in the family. Trying not to stress eat. Will catch up with you in a few days.

Sum38
11-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Oh, Carma I am so sorry! You have had a tough year!! Sending you millions of hugs!

Sum38
11-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I have stayed OP now a few days. Weight seems to be on a holding pattern. I am thinking about doing a 24 fast today; skipping bfast and lunch. I feel bloated and a water/green tea day may be in order. My face is all puffy and rings feel tight. -- I haven't had that much sodium, so I don't understand where this bloat is coming from. Perhaps I should do an elliptical workout and get a good sweat going?

Mrs Snark
11-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Carma - I'm so sorry, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Mrs Snark
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Guac -- I understand that fear of a downward spiral, but that isn't happening to you, you won't let it. It is hard rehabbing from an injury, really hard, but you can do it. Maybe try to think of your eating as part of rehab -- it is supportive nutrition. It is part of healing! Hang in there, it's tough but look at what you've already accomplished, I KNOW you are equal to the task!

Mrs Snark
11-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Newleaf, my beets were AWESOME! It makes me wonder what kind of beets you ate in the past, Sum, because I can't imagine someone not loving these! Surely these would have made the cut! They were seriously delish!

kelijpa
11-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Carma-so sorry to hear about your MIL, you're in my thoughts and prayers. You are such a strong woman, truly an inspiration.

Javagal84
11-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Carma, hugs and prayers...... Lots of hugs and prayers.

Sum, yay you! One step at a time

Guac, hang in there girl.

Hey, I just finished my first c25k and.... I got through! Woo! After whole day of nearly unbearable pressure headache, and feeling badly jiggly, finishing my first 30 was what I needed. Now I gotta just keep going :)

Hugs to all,
Javagal84

Bindii
11-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Hey, I just finished my first c25k and.... I got through! Woo! After whole day of nearly unbearable pressure headache, and feeling badly jiggly, finishing my first 30 was what I needed. Now I gotta just keep going :)

Hugs to all,
Javagal84

Well done!! You should be so proud of yourself! :)

newleaf123
11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
carma so sorry about your MIL. Sounds like you are a lynchpin in your family support. :hug: to you for owning it with strength and grace.

MrsSnark so glad you loved the beets!

Here, in the thick of Thanksgiving prep, and eatingly poorly. Oh well. Come Friday it's a steadfast push to the end of the year.

Happy Chanukah to any friends who celebrate!

guacamole
11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
newleaf123 - Thanks! Maintenance is a huge thing, and I am clinging onto that for dear life!

kelijpa - Hope your husband is doing well! I am glad to hear affirmation that recovery is a long process and you can't rush it.

soon2beskinnyCarma - So sorry about your MIL. You sound like such a caring person. What a way to spend Thanksgiving. Wishing you family well during this tough time.

Sum38 - You are doing so well! I think the water/green tea plan sounds good. I haven't been getting enough fluids, and I definitely see the bloat as a result!

Mrs Snark - Thanks for the encouragement! I need it!

Javagal84 - Woo hoo! Congratulations on the c25K!

Bindii:wave:

Stepped on the scale to 160 today...3 lbs of TOM bloat gone! I've been avoiding sugar and doing my PT exercises. I'm sure after Thanksgiving I'll be back up again...but I am going to be mindful not to overeat.

Here's to an on plan day, everyone!

Sum38
11-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Keli sending hugs to you and strength!

Sum38
11-27-2013, 01:11 PM
So 'tis the season....I baked a pumpkin roll and sampled it and it came to 308 calories and around 32g of sugar! Yikes. And it was not even that great anyways. I really dislike gluten free baking and how things come out chewy.

I have been a really good girl, though, what comes to my walks, weight lifting and swimming. I have done something each day, sometimes two exercises per day; like yesterday I walked and swam.

I am hoping to drop a few pounds during this season :yikes:, it will require some serious will power.

Mrs Snark
11-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Kelijpa -- when is your husband having his procedure?

Today I am making chocolate dipped pretzels to take to my folks tomorrow (because this is what counts as "cooking" for me). Haven't sampled the goods yet, but we'll see how it goes. I did a nice 5k on the treadmill before beginning the process to get my endorphins flowing and get in the "you're an athlete not a person who gobbles pretzels" frame of mind. Hopefully that frame of mind will last through the night!

kelijpa
11-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the good wishes and support, he's scheduled for next Weds. it's coming fast, I think we're well prepared, it won't be easy, but we'll get through it.

Chocolate dipped pretzels sound marvy, Mrs Snark...I would not be able to resist, I like your idea of going in with the athlete mindset...maybe if I went in with that mindset I could resist.

I could feel that "oh it's the holidays" frame of mind trying to take over, I resisted, but wow it would be so easy to slide down that slippery slope...going to enjoy the meal tomorrow, assess and move on :)

Best to all Happy Thanksgiving, Chanukah or whatever you might be celebrating tomorrow :sunny:

Sum38
11-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Happy Hanukkah!

Zumbachica
11-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi All....I know I have been missing for a while...my new house is coming together and now im preparing for the hard part, my actual move. I've been packing boxes and just been overwhelmed. I'm hoping for a smooth move and happy transition for the kids.
Needless to say with all going on my eating has not been priority.....I eat when I can and not much thought or planning goes into it. I cook meals for the kids and always keep it on the healthy side, but then wind up eating too much bread or I have dessert afterward...so the pounds are creeping on ..just in time for the holidays!! YIKES....I cant wait for this move to be behind me along with all the negativity that lives in this house......so happy everyone is here....

I have nowhere to spend thanksgiving tomorrow since the kids will be with their Dad but I was invited to friends house and I just may go so I don't spend the day alone....

Zumbachica
11-27-2013, 10:03 PM
I wish everyone a happy thanksgiving, safe travels and happy Chanukuh to those that celebrate it.

Chubby mum
11-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Sorry about your MIL Carma.

Long summer school holidays have started here - if today is any indication I'll be super slim by the end of them because I won't have had any time to eat. I'll have torn my hair out but I'll be back to my usual weight.

I'm "over" my wobbly bits now, it's summer and I need to be in my swimmers.

Weigh day tomorrow.

Sum38
11-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Morning and Happy Thanksgiving!

What are you plans for the day? -- We are spending the day at home and going for in-law's for dinner.

I plan to eat light all day, fruits and veggies and not go overboard tonight. I will have a small serving of everything, but treat it like a regular dinner. Luckily I have my gluten intolerance and I can not have any rolls or pie :D Looking at the silver lining.

I am thankful of my family. I am thankful that we are all healthy. I am thankful that my husband has a good job. I am thankful that I can do my volunteer work. I am thankful for my friends!

Sum38
11-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Survived our Thanksgiving meal with minimal amount of damage. Scale is only up 0.4 pounds. :dance:

We have another party to go to tonight, but I think I will eat at home and just drink water all night and not participate the potluck meals. I will contribute but won't consume :D

How is your social schedule for the upcoming holidays? -- We are not that busy. Occasional parties here and there but not "every weekend is taken" type of a season.

I have gained 6 pounds in November :eek: Not a good month. I am hoping that December will be a much better month for me. I feel mentally more ready and energetic. I felt I had lost my mojo in November. Amazing how quickly the weight piles back on.

So here's some :dust: to all!

Mrs Snark
11-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Great job on the C25k Javagirl!

Thanksgiving ended up being pretty easy for me, particularly since there weren't a ton of vegan options anyway (and I like it that way, frankly, less temptation!). And I managed not to eat any of the pretzels I made, yippee! I'm feeling good about pressing forward to lose a couple of pounds through the end of the year -- it is keeping me more focused than maintaining would, I think!

kelijpa
11-29-2013, 10:27 PM
C25K is great!

Mrs Snark, I'm with you, ready to push off a few pounds by the end of the year.

Chubby Mom, we're looking at possible teens tonight, feeling a little envy at your summer weather! Sounds awesome.

Mrs Snark
12-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Gaaaah, I found my first grey hair today. And it was long, too, so I've had it for a while!

Gaaaaaaah. Why is this so traumatic?

Must try not to eat my feelings.

Also, are we going to have a December chat thread?

newleaf123
12-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Absolutely, let's have a December chat thread!