Diabetes Support - November Chat

View Full Version : November Chat

love2b150
10-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Welcoming all of our Diabetic friends :)

love2b150
11-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Starting the month with an fbs of 156 ... not too bad

hope you all have a great day :hug:

Wannabehealthy
11-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi Rennie! We missed you! You have done a good job with your FBS. Mine goes down for a day or two then back up. But I won't give up trying.

Ruthxxx
11-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Good morning and thanks for starting a new month, Rennie.

This is the month I am going to stick to the straight and narrow - testing and taking my meds! I might even drop some weight! I go to southern PA to celebrate American Thanksgiving with my friend Linda and hope to have a little leeway to indulge a bit. I also plan to get back into going to the gym.

For the record - 190.2 and FBGL 5.6 this morning.

pattygirl63
11-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Well, I started the month with FBS at 174 and weight is up a few lbs, but I'm sure that is because we ate out yesterday and I got too much sodium. Even DH FBS was 184 this morning so that is good as well. We at least are out of the 200 readings.

I started keeping up with calories at MFP and lowered my calorie goal to 1400. I plan to stay around 1200 but want the leeway. Also I have my exercise program in tact of 30 min 6 days a week. Using MFP actually helps keep me on track.

Looks like we all have our plan now we look forward to a good month.

Have a good day.

love2b150
11-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Carol Sue I went back up also for a couple of days. I'm trying to analyze things to see what the problem is since I know that I am eating pretty much OP (much much better than I use to). I asked my husband to pick up some Chia seeds. I really don't want to buy a whole bag and not like them but I don't know any other way to try them.

No problem Ruth :) I also plan to take my met like I am supposed to. I need to start testing more often so that I know how different foods are affecting me.

Trish, MFP is what keeps me in check as long as I use it :D.

I think I said this on the October thread but I'm not sure ... I am hoping to be in the 170's by Thanksgiving with hopes that it will keep me focused since I want to see that "7" so bad :D ... but first I've got to make it through THIS weekend ;)

pattygirl63
11-02-2013, 12:18 AM
I forgot to share that every year DH and I would go to Walmart and purchase big bags of our favorite candies. We never have trick or treaters but always are prepared. This year we bought 1 bag and didn't pig out. I ate 2 pieces and counted it into my calories, but the bag is still almost full. We didn't devour it like we would have done in years past. Big accomplishment for us. :carrot:

fatmad
11-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Welll< its my birthday, and I am still at 180, have seen 179 a few times but not staying there. Had hoped to be lower by now, but not regaining is good too.
Exercise may be in the future, taking it slow and steady, if it doesn't rain again, I can see myself taking a trail walk today. DD coming for supper, and staying on plan all day. Have a good weekend friends.

love2b150
11-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Trish great NSV :high: way to go :)

Madeleine :bday2you: Have a blessed and wonderful day :hug: I can't wait to see 180/179 :crossed:

Well fbs this morning was 134 ... talking about happy, I am happy. Scale was only down .2 to 183.6 better than nothing, huh! :)

Have a great Saturday everyone :hug:

pattygirl63
11-02-2013, 03:08 PM
:bday2you:
Happy Birthday Dear Madeleine
Have a great day!!!

pattygirl63
11-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Trish great NSV :high: way to go :)

Madeleine :bday2you: Have a blessed and wonderful day :hug: I can't wait to see 180/179 :crossed:

Well fbs this morning was 134 ... talking about happy, I am happy. Scale was only down .2 to 183.6 better than nothing, huh! :)

Have a great Saturday everyone :hug:

Rennie Congratulations on the 134 FBS and the .2 weight down.

2 days OP with calories under 1400 calories and I did 40 minutes of exercise.

Feeling good about myself for a change.

pattygirl63
11-02-2013, 04:43 PM
I wanted to share with y'all something I read on Dr. Andrew Weil's website. I decided to read what he had to say about different diets. There was one that he commented on about whether you should eat most of your calories/carbs early in the day or later in the day.

It seems that there was a study done where there were 2 groups. One group ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. They ate most of their calories at lunch and the breakfast and lunch were smaller. But the smallest calories were at the evening meal. (I know that probably isn't possible for everyone. I couldn't have done that when my kids were home and when I worked out of the home.)

The second group ate a small amount of breakfast or no breakfast at all, and ate the largest amount of their food at their evening meal.

While they both lost weight, the 1st group that ate most of their food earlier in the day lost more weight than the 2nd group.

I found this interesting because I remember the 1st time I ever did Weight Watchers, I learned by accident that if I wanted a cookie or some kind of sweets (which I didn't eat very often since I was always a chip eater) and I ate it before 2 pm that it didn't effect my weight loss.

Since DH and I eat our biggest meal sometime between 2 to 3 pm, I have started eating a good breakfast but too many calories, our main larger meal and finish my day with a meal around 300 calories. On days I stay home, I divide my chia seeds between breakfast and lunch meal (using 1 TBLS a day). On days I have busy time away from home, I add the whole TBLS in a salad or whatever in the meal I eat at home. I do find that this keeps me from being hungry in between meals. We will see what it does for the weight and FBS.

love2b150
11-02-2013, 05:19 PM
2 days OP with calories under 1400 calories and I did 40 minutes of exercise.

Feeling good about myself for a change.

Trish, you have a right to feel good, nice job, keep it going :high: I too think it's better for me to eat the bulk or heavier meals in the early part of the day. I know I'll be moving around. Now today since we went to the gym early I don't really want to eat anything at all but I know that when my calories are too low the scale doesn't move in the right direction. I think it's because it holds onto the sodium that I take in since there aren't enough calories. Just my opinion with my body.

pattygirl63
11-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Found this on a website called SymptomFind.com Thought y'all might like to see the info.

Oatmeal Health Benefits

For many kids, there can be no worse breakfast than oatmeal. They’ll eat pancakes and waffles and cereal, but they won’t touch oatmeal. But what many kids, and many adults, don’t realize is that just one bowl of oatmeal a day can keep the doctor away. It’s full of fiber and just one cup contains almost 26 micrograms of folate, and more than 10 grams of protein. Read on to learn more oatmeal health benefits.

1. Oatmeal Lowers Cholesterol

Oatmeal is a rich source of soluble fiber, which is also found in apples, pears, prunes and barley. Soluble fiber inhibits the body’s absorption of low-density-lipoprotein, or LDL, which is known as the bad cholesterol. One-and-a-half cups of oatmeal contains more than five grams of fiber, which is enough to reduce your cholesterol level.

2. It Can Reduce The Risk Of Developing High Blood Pressure

Since oatmeal is high in fiber, which is heart-healthy, it offers many cardiovascular benefits, including a reduced risk of developing high blood pressure. It’s recommended that postmenopausal women, who tend to develop high blood pressure, should eat six servings of oatmeal or other whole grains on a weekly basis. Studies show that men can also reduce their risk of heart failure if they eat one bowl of whole grain cereal or oatmeal, per day.

3. It’s Full Of Antioxidants

Oatmeal contains a special type of antioxidant called avenanthramide. Avenanthramides fight off free radicals that attack high-density lipoproteins, or HDL, which is known as the good cholesterol. They also protect LDL cholesterol from oxidizing from copper, which reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.

4. It Prevents The Arteries From Hardening

Avenanthramides not only protect against heart disease, they also prevent the arteries from hardening. Those antioxidants suppress the production of molecules that allow monocytes to adhere to the walls of the arteries. Research has shown that postmenopausal women who eat six servings of whole grains a week reduced their risk of developing atherosclerosis, which is the build-up of plaque along the passageways of the arteries, and slowed the progression of stenosis, which causes the passageways of the arteries to narrow.

When paired with vitamin C, the cardiovascular benefits of oatmeal are enhanced, so drink a glass of orange juice or eat some citrus with your oatmeal.

5. Oatmeal Can Prevent The Development Of Breast Cancer

Studies have shown that women who take in a high amount of fiber have a reduced risk of developing breast cancer, especially if the fiber comes from whole grains. The insoluble fiber in whole grains will attack carcinogens as well as lower levels of estrogen in the body and this can protect the body from the development of cancer. A study conducted in the UK found that pre-menopausal women reduced their risk of developing breast cancer by 41 percent just by eating fiber from whole grains.

6. It Stabilizes Blood Sugar

The benefits from fiber don’t stop with cancer prevention. A high fiber diet will stabilize blood sugar levels and won’t cause the mid-morning slumps, which comes from eating a lot of sugar and carbs in the morning.

7. It Will Also Prevent The Development Of Diabetes

Aside from fiber, oatmeal is also a good source of magnesium, which regulates the body’s insulin and glucose levels. It’s been shown that, over the course of eight years, women who eat a diet rich in whole grains can reduce their risk of developing diabetes by up to 31 percent. To up the ante, add milk to the oatmeal. The boost of low-fat dairy can also lower the risk for diabetes.

8. It Gives The Immune System A Boost

Oatmeal contains a certain type of fiber called beta-gluten fiber. This fiber protects against heart disease and also revs up the immune system. It helps the immune cells seek out and repair areas or the body that may be fighting a bacterial infection.

9. Eating Oatmeal Can Prevent Weight Gain

Eating food to not gain weight sounds like the perfect kind of diet, right? Because oatmeal is so rich in fiber, it will make you fuller for a longer period of time. Fiber will increase the viscosity of the stomach’s contents so that it will take longer to empty. Feeling full for a longer period of time will also prevent the need to snack on sugary or salty foods throughout the day. Research has linked a lower risk of obesity to children who regularly eat oatmeal.

10. Those Who Can’t Eat Gluten Can Eat Oatmeal

Adults and children who have celiac disease cannot eat gluten, but studies show that they can eat oatmeal although it contains a small amount of gluten.

Keep in mind that the best way to reap the benefits of oatmeal is through regular oatmeal and not the instant stuff, which is full of sugar and sodium. To add flavor without adding an onslaught of calories, mix in some fruit like apples, cranberries or blueberries or add a tablespoon of brown sugar for a touch of sweetness.

pattygirl63
11-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Trish, you have a right to feel good, nice job, keep it going :high: I too think it's better for me to eat the bulk or heavier meals in the early part of the day. I know I'll be moving around. Now today since we went to the gym early I don't really want to eat anything at all but I know that when my calories are too low the scale doesn't move in the right direction. I think it's because it holds onto the sodium that I take in since there aren't enough calories. Just my opinion with my body.

My son and I were talking about not eating enough just today. I used to cut my calories so far back and couldn't understand why I couldn't lose weight. Then we would go out to eat and then we would go out to eat and I would come home thinking "boy I'm going to pay for this tomorrow". I would get on the scales next day expecting to have a huge gain and find I had a really good weight loss. It never occurred to me that I wasn't eating enough. I was exercising and dieting faithfully and thought I was doing a good thing. I know everyone might not agree with me, but I think we have to find the balance that makes it all work for us individually. I saw a doctor on tv yrs and yrs ago and he said that if you get your food consumption and exercise right that you would automatically lose weight with no real effort. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps that is true. Stress is known to work against diabetes and I'm thinking that I stress so much over the weight loss that perhaps it works against me losing. My goal is to get the routine of eating and exercise working for me and then lose the stress by just relaxing and enjoying my life... WL and all. I honestly believe that just might be the difference in success and failure. JMO

fatmad
11-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Well thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. I had a fine day. I stayed on plan, and did enjoy some wine with supper. Really enjoyed the coincidence of getting to sleep a bit longer over night too.
Also went to yoga yesterday and walked the dog. Maybe more of the same today. There is a bit of sun right now.

Trish, I am glad things seem to be moving in the right direction for you.
Rennie: every little bit down is a good thing. I hope you see 180 very soon.
Ruth: YES, this is the month things will change for you.
Bonnie: haven't seen you much, but pray that things will improve for you too.
Hello to carole sue and everyone else

For my part, perhaps the thought of getting into shape for cross country skiing will help me. I don't know why I have been so unmotivated, but I really need to get back to moving.

pattygirl63
11-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Didn't make it to church this morning as I've been sick all night with stomach. Not sure if it is a virus or too much fiber or what. DH was sick with his stomach yesterday and went to beauty shop and beautician was nauseous. So may just be a bug. So eating will be lite stuff easy on tummy. But weight is coming down steadily, but still not back down to match ticker. I will change ticker when it get below that number. My fbs was 166 this morning so that is good.

Y'all have a super Sunday!!!

pattygirl63
11-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Interesting experience yesterday. I was sick and could only eat carbs to settle my stomach. This morning weight was the same no up or down and my fbs was 148. Maybe carbs are NOT my problem.

As a result, today has become an experimental day. I took an OTC sleeping pill last night and slept until after 11 am. So didn't eat breakfast. So today I decided to eat the way an Oriental doc once told me to eat. He said eat one meal a day meatless. So I did just that today. One meal with meat and one meatless. Will see how that turns out tomorrow when I check my weight and fbs. One plus I haven't been hungry today at all.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

fatmad
11-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Just a short hello.
SO the last few days have managed to eat on plan AND get some exercise. I went to yoga on Saturday, (got a free class for my birthday!) but Sunday was too stiff for that, so settled for dog walking. Yoga again last night, and today will take dog for a trail walk. Have been sleeping well, but at some point work will get busy again, but for now, will enjoy the rest, and exercise.
AM enjoying the yoga again, I know I cut back with the shoulder injury, and I have been very gentle and cautious with the yoga, but I DO enjoy it and feel so good afterward.
May we all find the path to better health.
have a good Tuesday.

Wannabehealthy
11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Mad - Happy Belated Birthday! I remember you said it was coming up but I didn't know when. Hope you had a great day! You seem to be doing well, OP and exercising. I am hanging in there. That day I ate the bread put me in a 3-4 day binge, so I have learned my lesson. Bread is a definate trigger. Can I at least say that it was delicious? LOL

Trish - I hope you're feeling better. Good job on cutting the carbs. I think it takes a few days of no carbs to see a difference, so even though you didn't show a loss, it was only one day. So many other things can factor in. Keep it up, it will pay off eventually.

love2b150
11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
but I think we have to find the balance that makes it all work for us individually. I saw a doctor on tv yrs and yrs ago and he said that if you get your food consumption and exercise right that you would automatically lose weight with no real effort. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps that is true. Stress is known to work against diabetes and I'm thinking that I stress so much over the weight loss that perhaps it works against me losing. My goal is to get the routine of eating and exercise working for me and then lose the stress by just relaxing and enjoying my life... WL and all. I honestly believe that just might be the difference in success and failure. JMO

Trish I totally agree with you. That's why I like to calorie cycle. I definitely need to find the balance to get the ball rolling :) Glad you're feeling better, sleeping in until 11, I wish I could do that ... my body wakes me up and then I have to get up or my back hurts like crazy (Weird thing is sometimes I am still quite tired :shrug:). Can't wait to hear how the meat experiment goes :)

Thanks Madeleine, glad you had a good birthday :) and yes it is and I sure hope to also :)

Carol Sue the only bread I can seem to eat and not have any additional craving is the double fiber bread by Nature's Own and this Healthy Life bread I found at Kroger. They don't taste bad though I do like the Healthy Life better but after I'm done I am done (thank goodness.) The kids made Grands biscuits two days in a row and I wanted one so bad, then I picked up the wrapper and I think one biscuit is 170 calories, I thought that is so not worth it. Plus I know I would easily have eaten 3 :D

Ruth is it you that was experimenting with the beans? How were your glucose levels? I want to make chicken chili and since I know I will make corn bread of some type I just don't want to over do it.

fbs was 134 yesterday and 138 today. Though the scale stayed the same. I'm going grocery shopping this evening so maybe when I enter my food this week I can actually calorie cycle like I want to.

Wannabehealthy
11-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Rennie! What is meant by calorie cycle?

The only bread I binge on is bakery bread like Italian or Pumpernickel. My husband normally eats commercial white bread which I can easily pass up. I tried the double fiber bread and while I liked the taste and texture, I went back to the Nickles 35 Multigrain because of the lower calorie count. I keep it in the freezer and I only eat that if I'm making a sandwich, which is rare. My husband likes those Grands Biscuits but I rarely buy them because they are tempting to me. If I don't buy them for him, he doesn't request them.

You have done really well lowering your FBS. Congratulations.

love2b150
11-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Carol Sue I went on a site entered some information and it gave me days to eat higher calories and days to eat lower calories. It helped in the past to keep the scale moving as it keeps the body guessing ... not doing the same stuff everyday :)

Your Nickles 35 bread must be like the Healthy Life bread I found at Kroger, only 35 calories for 2 slices also, pretty good and filling :)

Thanks Carol Sue re: my fbs ... it was 147 this morning but still way better than my high 200 days :)

Ruthxxx
11-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Nope it wasn't me that was talking about beans. I really would like some though. I've been eating "Atkin-ish" since last Sunday and checking my BGL religiously. I was a nice FBGL of 5 (90) this morning and am down four pounds. :) I'm making sure I do eat some carbs and will experiment with small servings of beans to see how that goes.

I'm still not back at the gym although I did have good intentions. I did something stupid and lifted my summer tires out of the car after the snows were installed on Tuesday. Could have waited for my wonderful neighbour but I was going shopping and needed the room. I think the ribs are OK but the lower back is back to bothering me. I have been told that I am turning into a stubborn old lady.

pattygirl63
11-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Quick flyby. Just checking in. Got off plan while I was sick with my stomach and am back up almost 10 lbs :( so I've pulled my ticker off as I refuse to put that many lbs on it because I will not stay there. It is all fluid. I'm back on low-carb. I think I need to stay away from carby foods for a while because low carb eating keeps the fluid off. I've been considering doing low carb like Dana Carpendar did it. I'll allow myself carby meals once in a while, but will be doing more strict low carb MOST of the time.

I'll check back later. Spending the next few days getting things controllable again. Have a good day.

Wannabehealthy
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Rennie, I am going to google the calorie cycle and see what it says. I don't actual count calories. I just eyeball my portions and I know that's not good because you know what they say "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach!" LOL

I googled the Healthy Life bread and it's the same as the Nickles 35 except the wheat has a little more fiber than my multigrain. I have never seen the Healthy Life in my area.

Ruth, you may be stubborn but you're not OLD! I did the same thing with taking tires out of the trunk years ago in my 20's and have had back problems ever since. Hope you feel better.

I was the one talking about beans, especially lentils. I was eating a couple tablespoons every day but didn't stick to it for more than a few days. I want to get back to it again, but there's just too much food around here anymore. I buy all the healthy things I want to eat, zucchini, cabbage, squash, and I made a ton of veggie soup. It's all healthy, but DH doesn't eat it and I can't eat it all. I have to start buying one thing a week and waiting til I finish that to get something else.

Trish, being sick is never advantageous to weight loss for me. I end up eating comfort food that always seems to add up to carbs and more carbs. You will get back OP. If you have a small portion of carbs it should be ok, and it will keep you from craving it when you know you can have it once in a while. You can do this!

Mad - Hope your hanging in there!

pattygirl63
11-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I am back on plan and weight is coming back down. I seem to retain a lot of fluid so am working at getting that off. Blood sugar was up a bit, but I'm sure that will come back down as well. I've been reading a lot about the ph of the body keeping the bodies acid/alkaline balance through food combining. However, I plan to keep it simple. I read about doing it with IE. I think it would help me keep the fluid off. Will see.

I know greens are good for lowering blood sugar so I went to the store and got some organic spinach with spring mix and organic kale. I had never eaten it and I must say that I love the taste. I'm going to look up how to make kale chips. I saw them in the store but $6.00 for a small bag is really ridiculous.

The way combining works is eating fruit always alone never with other food. Always eat raw non-starchy vegetables either protein or starchy foods, but never eat starchy veggies/foods with protein. It is the old Fit For Life way of eating by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. Had their book years ago. I think Susanne Summers some of the ideas in her book yrs ago, but not the cycle that the Diamond's use. You eat fruit during the morning hours however some fruits you don't mix. Eat your food between noon and 8 pm and eat nothing after 8 pm so the body can rest for 8 hrs. I have a few books on eating more alkaline foods than acidic to balance the ph. This is my favorite food plan of any of them. I always felt that if my Mother had eaten this way (I found the Fit For Life book among her things after she died) we would not have lost her so early. I read that while genetics does have something to do with our health, environment and how we eat has a bigger part. My Mother's Mother was a vegetarian and lived to be 80. None of her children ate the way she did and died too soon. The lived for sweets.

My niece recently was diagnosed diabetic. She chose to become a Vegan like her brother. He is vegan and his wife is vegetarian. She has reversed diabetes and doing fine. It has made me look at the foods I eat a lot differently. I've been reading up on how to eat as a vegan and a vegetarian. I can't be a vegetarian. However, I did find a way of eating that I could do which I had never heard of. It is called Flexatarian. You eat vegetarian your choice of 2 to 3 days a week. Using what I learned in the Fit For Life book, I think I could have one meal with meat and eat the rest of my meals vegetarian each day. It fits my IE way of eating and no counting calories. It really has impressed me because it is so healthy. There is no way fruits and non-starchy veggies can be bad for me. When I eat meat and veggies, I have to wait 4 hrs for the meal to get out of my stomach before I can eat another meal. If I eat a meatless meal, I am to wait 3 hrs before eating anything else. Most fruit takes only 30 minutes to go through the stomach except bananas takes 45 minutes. This way of eating also allows for the times when you want to or have to eat protein and starchy foods/veggies together. He says it takes 8 hours for it to pass out of the stomach and should not be done too often.

Eating like this makes for a healthy digestive system and I won't have problems with my stomach like I had last week. I also read in one of the books to use sea salt instead of table salt. Table salt causes fluid retention, however, you can eat as much sea salt you want because it does not cause fluid retention. A lot of good info.

Edited to add: I realized after writing this that I can use this woe to do low carb and use the carby meals on special occasions or when unable to control to low carb. He read in the book that you don't have to eat breakfast unless you are hungry which means that it can be combined with IF/IE woe. Very doable.

So I'm back OP with a healthy way of Intuitive eating.

Have a great week end everyone.

Ruthxxx
11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Good morning. Weight is up bit over a pound this morning but BGL is great.

Went to dinner theatre last night after a week of fairly strict lower carbing. Nothing can be more carby than a beef stew made with peas, carrots, turnips and Guinness beer! I shall have to be abstemious today. Good thing I made a wonderful chicken soup yesterday.

Glad you are feeling better, Trish. Sea salt is great except it's not iodized. I think we need some iodine in our systems. I live far from the ocean so do use iodized salt. Might be worth checking into. There's always something to think about. I try not to stress over what I eat though. I did learn that too much potassium is not good for you and that keeping our bodies alkaline is a cancer preventative. (My brain is fat from all the bits and pieces of info crammed in there! I need brain Ex-Lax!)

Wannabehealthy
11-10-2013, 09:30 AM
If anyone's interested here is a list of Alkeline and Acidic Foods. I had this bookmarked from when my psoriasis was flaring badly and I had heard I was to eat mostly Alkeline. Now my P is in remission and I don't follow this so much.

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

Trish, I could not do strict vegan/vegetarian but if I was by myself I would never eat beef or pork. The only meat I really like is chicken. I also like fish and eggs. So I would never want to do without them. But everyone is different, as we all know. I don't think meat is necessary as there are other ways to get protein.

I too want to make kale chips. I heard about them but have not taken the time to research. It seems they are really easy. I think you just tear the kale in pieces, add olive oil and seasoned salt and then bake.

Ruth - I also heard that Sea Salt does not contain iodine, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to get iodine into your system. You probably don't need a lot. Maybe just use iodized once in a while? Does shellfish contain iodine? My son and his wife use Sea Salt and also Lite Salt. She is very health concious.

Wannabehealthy
11-10-2013, 09:37 AM
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Kale-Chips/

Here's the Kale Chips recipe. I'm going to try it.

fatmad
11-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone: I have been doing ok, except of course for exercise. I plan to go to yoga today as it is miserable outside for walking or gardening. Its cold, rainy and windy and grey. Hot yoga sounds good.
Weight is down. If it stays below 180 this week I will change the ticker.
I was at a buddhist event yesterday that included a vegan indian buffet, and I had the rice, and lots of legumes, but no wheat and did fine.
I will do a low carb day today however, not to tempt fate.
I am excited to read all these great posts, and thank you all.

Wannabehealthy
11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Good to see you Mad, and glad to hear you're doing well. I have always wanted to try Indian Food but DH is not as adventurous. I am beginning to feel that legumes are a good thing and want to get back to having some every day. I would think that the legumes you had helped to slow the absorption of the rice. I think that's how fiber is supposed to work.

pattygirl63
11-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Ruthie They had iodized Sea Salt at the health food store. I didn't get it, but they do have it.

Carol Sue Thanks for the website. I've seen several with the list and info and this one you shared is the best. I made a copy of it. I want to work more alkaline foods into my food plan and it will be extremely helpful. I really like eating low carb and looking at the list, I don't think there is any problem doing that using more alkaline type veggies. In fact, I think that is a good idea any way because meat is acidic and you add enough good alkaline veggies would be extremely healthy.

I made the kale chips using directions from a friend on another site. She prepares hers the same way, but cooks at 300 degrees for 17-22 minutes. I didn't want to burn it so I cooked it for almost 22 minutes and turned off the oven and just let it sit in the oven until it dried out. I made a small amount and the kale being small, I really think I could have used less olive oil. This kale was different from the ones I see on line and cooking shows. I got them at the health food already cleaned etc and very small with small stems. I wanted to get some more today at Walmart of the larger kale, but it was yucky looking all wilted. So will have to go to a different store to get some more. Kale is going to be a permanent food in my plan. As one lady said on a youtube video I watched, her family found it so easy to replace their potato chips with these, because they realized that the salt and crispiness were what they missed more than the taste of the potato chip. I think they will do the same for me too. And they are an alkaline food too. Yippee!!!

Mad Glad to hear from you and you are doing very well. I too have to get my exercise going. I do the stationary bike, but I need the benefits of Tai Chi and I've got to get to doing it on a regular basis. We will get it going though it just takes getting into the habit of it.

Ruthxxx
11-11-2013, 07:18 AM
:( Had a carby weekend by not eating at home and have slipped right back to 190. Back on track today for sure. I am well stocked with protein and veggies so no excuses.

Wannabehealthy
11-11-2013, 12:06 PM
It's funny that we were just talking about kale and I received an e-mail from Diet Detective that contained this link.

http://www.dietdetective.com/weekly-column/kale-nutrition-profile-and-recipes-healthy-vegetable-strong-disease-fighting-propertie?utm_source=November+8+2013&utm_campaign=DIET+DETECTIVE+Kale&utm_medium=email

You have to avoid Kale if you are taking a blood thinner such as Coumadin.

pattygirl63
11-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Carol Sue I don't take Coumadin, but my DH does. I don't think he would like Kale, but I know he has to be careful with dark greens. The doctor never gave us instructions on foods DH could and couldn't eat, but DD was in nursing school her RN teacher told her that he could eat them just not everyday. She said eat them on the same day every week and it would not mess up his pt adjustment. The doc keeps a good eye on it. Thanks for all the info you have shared.

I wrote a whole post earlier and the computer froze and I lost it. So won't go into all that now it is too late.

I had a good eating day. I'm doing the Fit For Life cycle of 8 hrs eat fruits, then 8 hrs eat other foods and the 8 hrs letting the body rest. I shared the alkaline/acidic info with DH about how we should eat 60% alkaline and 40% acidic to be healthy. Since we only eat one main meal a day, we decided to do the fruit in the morning, eat veggies with meat/protein at our main meal and then snack on alkaline foods the rest of the 8 hr window of eating. I like to stop eating around 8 pm so I really go longer than 8 hrs with no eating because I can start eating fruit @ 4 am, but I don't get up until around 8 or 9 am because I stay up late with DH. It works out fine and I can do this so easily so it is no problem for me.

Headed to bed. Catch y'all tomorrow. Good night.

Wannabehealthy
11-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Trish - my son takes Coumadin and he watches very closely what he can and can't eat. He looked it up and made a list of foods containing Vit K. One day he didn't realize that mayonaise has Vit K and he was eating tartar sauce. Really screwed up his reading. He loves veggies and big salads and this is hard for him. He eats a portion of broccoli every day and he keeps his readings in line. I serve a lot of potato salad, but now I also make a pasta salad with italian dressing so he can have something without the mayo.

Yesterday I bought a very small bunch of kale and I will try making the kale chips today. I hope I like them, and maybe DH will even try them, although I doubt it.

fatmad
11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
I got to yoga yesterday, but weight is up a bit. I am pretty self-absorbed right now, and still having computer problems, I haven't bought the new one yet.
I am upset with DH for not being supportive with my work problems, and those are ongoing, so dealing with work issues and home stuff is clogging my charkas. (ok, thats pretty flakey, but I am feeling clogged up with my emotions, so it fits)
I am working at not starting up emotional eating, and so far, so good.
So now to talk with DH about all this not talking.

love2b150
11-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Oh boy do I need to catch up :hug:

Just wanted to report that I saw my lowest fbs this year 128. very happy about that :) also I weighed in this morning at 180.8 nice to see that zero also

Have a great day Ladies :hug:

love2b150
11-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Ruth I hope your back is better :hug: My Aunt was hospitalized once for her potassium being too high. Ruth, I had a snacky day on Monday and went over 1000 extra calories in pure junk food. But yesterday was back on plan and today also :)

Trish thanks for the info on Flexatarian eating. Glad you have found what works. I like the sound of the plan also. :) I stopped using table salt and started using Nu-Salt a few years back. I don't use it that often though. Mainly in my egg, tuna and chicken salad. Come to think of it that's all I use it for. I have found that most things just taste salty enough for me. Trish --> this part makes me want to try the kale chips her family found it so easy to replace their potato chips with these, because they realized that the salt and crispiness were what they missed more than the taste of the potato chip Everytime my husband has chips I always get 1-3, I just love the smell and the saltiness :) So hopefully this will help. I may try it this weekend. Along with the sweet potato I have yet to prepare to get ready for MY Thanksgiving. :) I am not going to make a mess of what I have accomplished for one day.

Carol Sue I didn't even think about being vegetarian and not eating fish. My cousins husband is vegetarian but he eats salmon and tilapia. Let us know how your chips turned out and how they taste :)

Madeleine the weather here has been interesting. Sunny, warm then cold, wet, snowy … gotta get use to it I guess :) Madeleine here's to husbands talking (I need to have the same discussion with mine)

You all are a wealth of information. I have a WORD document that I keep adding to so I can reference back. Thank you all

Wannabehealthy
11-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Rennie - There was a young girl at work who's family didn't eat any meat, no red meat, pork, or poultry, but they ate fish and shellfish. As she became more sociable with her friends, she was introduced to meat and she liked it, but she was afraid to tell her parents. She would go out to eat with her friends and leave her take-out container in the car (not in warm weather) and bring the leftovers in to work for her lunch. She did that for years. Her parents are probably gone now, but I'll bet she never told them. I could very easily give up beef and pork because before I met my husband I rarely ate it. But couldn't give up my chicken and fish.

pattygirl63
11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I've had a good week. If I eat in the morning hrs, I eat fruit. I didn't eat any today because I got up late and I wasn't hungry. Didn't eat until around 2. I eat whatever I want at my main meal, but I always eat a BIG salad. I haven't had a second meal in 2 or 3 days. I had a snack, but no meal. Just haven't been hungry. I think I must have over did the fruits and veggies yesterday. I remember the health food store owner I worked for yrs ago told me that veggies act like a broom and fruit works like a mop cleaning out our system and boy did I get a cleansing last night. May be the reason I wasn't very hungry for fruit this morning. LOL Any way, I got a whoosh and my weight was back down to 233.4 this morning. So that weight I gained a few weeks ago with the stomach problems hopefully is gone. I will have to wait and see if it stays. This FBS reading is really whacky to me. When the weight comes down like that, the fbs is up the next day. I really think that was caused from me eating past 9 pm. It doesn't seem to matter that it was within the 8 hrs that I was allowed. I think I just can't eat anything after 8 pm. So I try not to eat anything past 7:30 pm.

Rennie I don't plan to mess with my eating Thanksgiving day either. It turns out that my son will be here the weekend before Thanksgiving instead of Thanksgiving day. Not sure what DGS plans are, but I've decided that even if he is here that we will go out to eat that day probably at Golden Corral so everyone can eat what they want and then come home with no tempting foods laying around here. I've decided that there just isn't anything I want bad enough to get me off plan.

love2b150
11-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Carol Sue, I don't even know that I could give up beef fully. My son made a killer meatloaf from 80/20 ground beef last night :drool: and I love a burger from the grill and beef meatballs. On pork, I love my Mom's ham. I could easily eat a pound of bacon and yes chitterlings. My Dad would cook them when I was little. So if he were still here or I find someone that prepares them like him, I would definitely eat them. :D My husband doesn't eat pork and the kids eat everything I eat minus the chitterlings. They won't even consider then. :)

Trish when you eat fruit in the morning, what are your glucose readings like afterwards? Which fruits do you eat? LOL on the cleansing out last night ;) that's what I need. :) I noticed that about my fbs also. Weight good, fbs blah. FBS good, weight is usually blah. :shrug: When I want something to eat late. I will eat a cup of grapes when I have them. Here lately though I've just had green and pu'erh tea. Seems to be okay, I just go to the bathroom once or twice during the night. My Mom has come the day after Thanksgiving for the last three years. She was the main cook for the day minus the things that the kids prefer me to make. We have spent the last two years at my Auntie's house only having to bring a dish or two. This year since my daughter and her husband are in their first place I thought we would eat there but she doesn't want to cook. So it's to my Auntie's I'm sure. I plan to enjoy my two additional days off without slaving over a stove half the evening/day :D This is exactly how I feel ---> I've decided that there just isn't anything I want bad enough to get me off plan. I will get a spoon of what I like eat that and be done. I do not want to leave feeling stuffed and nauseous :D

pattygirl63
11-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Rennie I can have 2 fruits servings a day and that is usually all that I have. I just whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I have banana, watermelon, grapes or an apple. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time. And then sometimes like today, I didn't eat anything until 2 pm. I'm kind of doing this with the Intuitive Eating principles. I eat when I'm hungry, eat only as much as I need to satisfy my hunger and then stop. My Doc only has me check my fbs. I don't really have to check it more often unless I just decide to.

Wannabehealthy
11-14-2013, 08:01 AM
I made my kale chips last night and I have mixed reviews. First of all, after looking at pictures of them online, I think I cut my kale too small. Secondly, even though I just put a dash of salt on mine, they were too salty for my taste. I do not like a salty taste. They are very light and airy and crumble very easily, not as sturdy as a potato chip. But I did like the taste and the kale is good for me. But since I don't eat salty snacks very often, I really don't need a substitute for them. I think if I leave more veins in them when I tear them they will have a little more substance. All I can say is go very easy on the salt shaker!

Rennie, - I am a foodie and like to try every food there is, at least once. I have always wanted to try chitterlings, but I didn't want to do all that work to make them, I wanted to taste someone else's, just to try them. But this is PA and you don't hear of them much around here. At work there were 2 women who said they made them on holidays but I couldn't get them to bring me a little taste. LOL I think if I lived in the south I would have a much worse weight problem because of all that good southern cooking.

Trish, I don't think you will have any trouble sticking to your plan on Thanksgiving. You really have it ingrained in your mind and are sticking to it very well.

I am hosting Thanksgiving, as usual, and since I'm cooking I really don't overeat. I allow myself 1 carb, and since I love stuffing, that's my one carb, and I only have a small portion. Since I am not a sweet eater, I don't eat pie or any other dessert, so I am confident that I will do well. Most of my leftovers go home with my company. I know to make extra of everything because they love their leftovers. Some even bring their own containers because they know there will be leftovers. I roast 2 turkeys so I get a lot of dark meat because that's what they mostly like. I have a rather small house so there's not a lot of room, but there sure is a lot of food, and that's why they come. LOL

pattygirl63
11-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Carol Sue I had the same problem with the salt on my kale. I switched to the sea salt and it is not processed so it is saltier than table salt. I'm having to learn that it doesn't take much. I found out that my kale was so small because it is baby kale and it breaks up to easy. I haven't been able to get to a store that will have good regular kale. Walmart just doesn't take care or change out their produce very well here and the kale in both of the stores I went to were too old and wilting. I plan to go over to Food Lion when I get out of the beauty shop Saturday and see if they have it. They are good about keeping fresh produce. I think the larger will work better and the woman I saw make it on a tv cook show didn't break hers up really small. Funny thing about the salt shaker use, when I was young learning to cook, I always forgot to put salt and pepper on foods that I cooked. Never got use to using them until I married and DH put salt on everything. However, I have to say that when it came to snack foods, I did love salty snacks like any kind of chip. Although, I really didn't overdo those back when young. I probably wouldn't use it cooking now if it wasn't for cooking for DH. I still don't over salt my food.

I agree Carol Sue that I should have no problem staying OP for T-Day. I have looked for so long a healthy way to eat using the Intuitive Eating so I don't have to count calories etc. I have finally after all these years found my way. No Diet just eating healthy.

I was up 1 lb this morning making my profile weigh right on. I expected it to be up a little because I knew the low yesterday was because I had lost everything I had eaten the day before. So I believe that is more accurate and I am right on track. Very pleased with the results so far this week. FBS was back down from yesterday as well. Not down where it was day before yesterday but back down. I'm actually hoping that by eating this way that I will be able to get rid of some of the vitamins that I eat.

I did have watermelon and a banana today so far. I'm cooking fish, peas and a big salad for main meal. I always put 1/2 TBS of chia seeds in my salad. I don't think that I can handle more than that. Think I will steam a couple of little red potatoes w/skin and some veggies for supper this evening. I love this way of eating.

Y'all have a very good day.

fatmad
11-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Have been at or below 180 for the 3rd time this week. TOday was 178, will change my ticker soon I think. Things are a bit better at work.
Sorry for the quick flyby, but happy to have the weight going the right way.

Wannabehealthy
11-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Mad - I am happy for you, too! And I'm glad that things have improved at work. Work issues can effect your whole life, no matter how much people say to leave work at work. I haven't been in the 170s since 1993. Isn't that awful?

I was watching a TV show about anorexia, and I wondered to myself, why can't I get that, just for a little while? I in no means intent to make light of this eating disorder. I know that people suffer terribly from this and some actually die. But isn't it odd that there is so much sympathy for those with anorexia, but so much criticism and ridicule for those who are overweight? There are probably many more who overeat due to emotional or psychological reasons than there are those who starve themselves for the same reasons.

pattygirl63
11-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Fatmad Congratulations on new low and glad things are better for you at work.

Carol Sue That is interesting isn't it?

Well, I'm back down to the 233.6 this morning for real but won't do a ticker yet or change it on my profile yet either.

Have a great day everybody.

pattygirl63
11-16-2013, 09:40 AM
I put my ticker back on as I'm actually back to 233 this morning. Still not where I need to be when I go to the doc in a few weeks but I still have a little over a week. I was 231 when I saw him, but not going to worry if I'm not there yet. He never worries about a lb or 2 any way so if I can at least stay where I am or a little lower, I will be fine. Haven't really done anything to mess up the blood work readings so that should be good enough to please him. Now that I have the way of eating that works for me things should just get better and better as I go. Still have to get my Tai Chi routine down. DS#1 will be here next weekend and I will have him help me get some of the steps down that I don't seem to grasp. Then I can get into the routine of that along with my stationary bike which I've got in the routine of at the minimum of 4 days a week and sometimes even 5 or 6 days so I'm good on that one.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Wannabehealthy
11-16-2013, 10:09 AM
None of my doctors mention my weight at all. The only time my PCP mentioned it was when I had the big drop after surgery. I think they realize that I know I need to lose weight and it has to be my decision in the end. I think I did best when I was in the hospital and the food I was allowed to have was brought to me, and nothing else was available.

love2b150
11-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Happy Saturday Everyone :wave:

Sounds like we're doing well :)

I changed my ticker finally from the 184.6 that it read and as usual the next day (today) it is off the wrong way. TOM has arrived, so I think (because it comes and goes) so I am up a pound to 181.4. I still have hopes of being at 177 by Thanksgiving but I know that will take a miracle since things are already going the wrong way. But this too shall pass :) On a better note fbs was 125 this morning :carrot:

Have a great day :hug:

fatmad
11-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi everyone:
I have finally changed the ticker for the better. I seem to ready to stay under 180 for good.
I am interested in the conversation about eating disorders. Yes, anorexia is a mental illness, but is overeating also a mental illness? I don't see myself as thinner than I am when I look in the mirror. (At least not as far as I know)
I don't overeat because I think I am wasting away! .
But it would certainly help for folks to be less judgemental and just accept any person as she or he is. I often don't notice how heavy some friends are, I just enjoy them so much.
Some people saw my daughter's wedding photos and asked about her crash diet. (she is naturally a thin small girl with a healthy appetite, and has never dieted at all.) SO being thin with an overweight mother makes people think she crash diets or has bulimia or something. More judgement. grr.

Wannabehealthy
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Mad, I think some overweight comes from mental illness, but not all. I think compulsive over-eating is on the same order as OCD. That would include those who will eat a half gallon of ice cream and an entire cake at one time, right after finishing dinner. Some people appear to be average weight but are bulimic. For a long time I have been one who eats when I'm not hungry, simply because the food is there. I have never eaten a whole cake or anything like that but I have continued to eat at dinner way beyond satisfaction. I have also grazed my way between lunch and dinner, never allowing my body to feel hunger. I think with me that is a bad habit that can be changed over time with behavior modification. I don't think that, or having cravings, is actually a mental illness but just bad habits.

This is really weird. In my minds eye, I see myself as thin...normal size, to the point that when I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself I am shocked at what I see. I have never heard of anyone else who says that. It's usually people who see themselves as much heavier than they are. I wonder why that is? When I start to feel that I'm going to fall off the wagon, all I have to do is go into a store and try on clothes with that 5 way mirror and I am so shocked at what I see that I don't eat for the rest of the day.

I had a friend at work years ago who was like your daughter. She ate a lot, but was very thin. She was in her 20's. Now she is in her late 40's and has 2 children. She complains that she has gained weight, but she is probably up to a size 10 at the most. For her, that is heavy, but not above a normal weight on the BMI scale.

fatmad
11-18-2013, 10:30 PM
ON plan with a busy day. staying on plan on days like this lets me know I can do it. hurray

pattygirl63
11-18-2013, 10:58 PM
I am actually eating only 2 meals a day. Didn't really plan it that way, just not hungry. So I'm really doing IE and not going wild with my eating. No snacks. Don't need them. How long will the go on???? I haven't a clue, but I'll take it.

My oldest son and his fiancÚ will be here Friday night and spend the weekend with us. I haven't seen him in 11 yrs so I am really excited and looking forward to seeing him and meeting her. She and I have talked on the phone and email each other. So I feel like I know her already. He is hoping she will like it here and maybe he can talk her into them moving here in the area so we can see each other more often.

So DH and I are busy getting ready for their visit which helps keep me from eating.

Finally found me some kale and hope to get time to make some chips tomorrow. I also love kale in my salads.

fatmad
11-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Am at a two day conference, and what food and wine. I expect to be over 180 when I get home, but will get back into plan right away. And today will stay on plan, I really will. One thing is I drink more water at these things, but the food is too good to limit much. Ack, undermining myself.

Ruthxxx
11-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Oh dear! I was down to 187 yesterday but was attacked last night by a salty marinade on my meat and then by those Ferrero Rocher chocolates which I vowed not to eat this year. Strangely enough FBGL is 5.6 this a.m.

Back onto the straight and narrow today!

Wannabehealthy
11-24-2013, 09:22 AM
I am still in the process of changing my eating habits. I am not perfect every day, but I have been losing 1 lb a week for the past 3 weeks. I would like it to be more, but it is what it is. Better than gaining.

I have made 1 big change. There is a restaurant we go to every week where they have the best pizza. We ate it for years. When I was diagnosed with diabetes I started ordering something else while my husband still ordered the pizza. Not only did that add to our bill, but it seems that no matter what I ordered, I still ended up eating a slice of pizza anyway. So I decided, why go through that? So now I'm back to having the pizza only. It's once a week or less, we split a pizza and a big salad, so now I eat the salad and have 1 slice of pizza. I know it spikes my blood sugar, but if I can control my carb eating the rest of the week, I don't think I'm doing much damage. There have been times that I would eat the cheese and topping and leave the crust if I still felt I wanted another slice.

I have decided that kale chips aren't for me. I didn't want to waste the kale I had left so I sauteed it and wilted it down and it was delicious. I put 2 TBS olive oil in a large frying pan and sprinkled in some garlic powder. I added the cleaned and torn kale leaves, tossed, added 1/2 cup of chicken broth, covered it and let it simmer for several minutes. The garlic and chicken broth added a hint of flavor and it was delicious.

I have also become hooked on quinoa. I quit eating rice after I was diagnosed. I tried brown rice once and didn't like it, but gave it another chance and developed a taste for it. I heard so much about quinoa and wanted to try it. It took 3 tries for me to get it right, but now I love it. I cook it in chicken broth instead of water and it tastes great! It has carbs, but also has a lot of protein. I only make a small amount and mix my veggies in with it so now I have replaced the brown rice.

Trish, I hope you had a good weekend with your son and his fiance. 11 years is a long time to go without seeing him.

I don't see a problem with only having 2 meals a day. The idea is to eat only when hungry, and if you are only hungry twice a day then only eat twice a day. I think you enjoy your meal so much better when you are hungry when you eat, instead of eating because it's mealtime.

Ruth, I think we have all been attacked by something that raised the number on the scale a bit, but you got right back on plan, and that's the way to do it.

Mad - There's no shame in enjoying the food at a special occasion. That is how it's supposed to work in a "normal eating" environment. It's not something you do every day. You can just enjoy it and move on.

Rennie - It sounds like you have a good plan for Thanksgiving. Some people like to be the cook and other don't. I have been cooking since my MIL passed away. Now that I'm retired, I like to do it. My husband likes that we don't have to go out traveling to someone else's house, so it works for us. I eat turkey, veggies and stuffing. I allow myself one carb and stuffing is the one thing that I love and don't get very often. I can easily pass on potatoes and dessert. That's what I have done the past few years and I don't get stuffed or have a weight gain.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, other than Mad who has already had Thanksgiving. LOL

fatmad
11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Carol Sue: the problem is that at this time of year there will be a lot of special occasions, and I need to start managing that.
I have made a start. I got back on plan and am down below 180 again. Tonight we went to a friend's Grey Cup party, and I Did well. (Grey cup is the Canadian superbowl for CFL football)
I did eat a few cookies, but otherwise stuck to plan. The big thing was that I STOPPED when I started eating what I shouldn't. A little NSV that way.

Wannabehealthy
11-25-2013, 08:14 AM
That is great that you stopped when you realized you were eating something you shouldn't eat. You, instead of the food, are in control.

Ruthxxx
11-25-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm heading south to southern PA first thing tomorrow morning. I held myself back from making a rum cake to take along. I have all the ingredients but have lots of other stuff to do so maybe I can get through the rest of the day without succumbing. Hmmm - maybe I'll take along the ingredients and make it down there.
May friend Linda aka Cottagebythesea is an excellent cook but also has a will of iron in resisting things - except ice cream. With this cold weather, I don't think that'll be a problem. On turkey day, I'll indulge in turkey and stuffing but skip all the sweet stuff like marshmallows in sweet potatoes.

Leaving first thing tomorrow morning - hope to be over the Big Bridge by 8 a.m. I'll be back next Monday afternoon and give a full report.

fatmad
11-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Have a good trip RUth, but wasn't Thanksgiving last week?
Thanks Carol Sue, I was kinda pleased with myself. Doing ok today too. It is a bit of a drag, I am eating less than usual, and fewer calories, but the weight loss IS slow. Ah Menopause, much though I like it, has some drawbacks.

Wannabehealthy
11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
I don't know what part of PA she's going to, but we had a 4 inch snowfall overnight and it's to continue through Wednesday. Be safe, Ruth!

Medeis
11-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Hello there, I have type II. I ignored it for quite some time but am taking care of it now. Hope to see you all around.

lotsakids
11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Hoping to keep myself on plan this week! Low carb Thanksgiving in a carb happy house. Making a few dishes that are low c friendly and staying away from the ones that aren't. Good thing I love Turkey!! Today we are cleaning and I must continue to get er' done.

fatmad
11-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Well, clearly I got confused about when American Thanksgiving is. Have a good day everyone! Hope you can stay on plan, or at least the plan you make for that day! and the day after!

Medeis: Welcome and hope you enjoy our company. We don't bite, or judge.

Saw the naturopath today, will give an update in a few days. Just a quick flyby to say hi for now.

pattygirl63
11-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Medeis and lotsakids WELCOME!!!! Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you.

Fatmad You have done a good job controlling your eating even if you did start eating eat some foods you felt you shouldn't have because you did stop.

Ruthie Have a great visit with your friend in PA. There's a lot of bad weather because of a winter storm right now so be safe.

Carol Sue I plan to try your way of cooking kale. I love this stuff raw in a salad and the chips, but I don't cook all of a batch because I save some for salad also, I use a little in the Magic Mullet when I make an omelet some mornings. So good. I used to love spinach, but kale has pretty much taken its place. When DH and I go for pizza, I always have a salad and pizza.

Well, my visit with my DH son and soon to be new member of the family was wonderful. She and I felt like we had known each other all our lives. She is definitely a keeper. She is going to be like my other sons wife in the fact that she will be more like a daughter than a daughter-in-law. I am so thrilled with them getting together. I hope they will eventually move this way or at least closer to us. He is a truck driver and was blessed to get a job with a company that is all over the US and should have no problem transferring to wherever they decide to move.

We had a very carby celebration while they were here which wasn't to great going to see doctor Monday and I was bloated and swollen and my weight was up. Regular nurse wasn't working so I didn't find out my actual gain and doc didn't tell me, I think because he was so happy that my A1C was down to 7.0. My triglycerides were up a little. My overall cholesterol was down, but my good cholesterol was down and my bad one was about the same. DH weight was the same but A1c and other numbers were up. I think that was from eating out so much and eating so much processed foods. I'm beginning to think that we might not should eat any processed foods, but it isn't always easy to do. Although I didn't eat a lot Sunday, what I did eat was very carby because I made some of my son's favorite foods so I think my weight was up about 5 lbs yesterday from my last docs visit 3 months ago. I don't know if I picked up a virus at the docs office or at restaurant when we took the kids out to eat yesterday but I was hitting the bat hroom all night and most of the day today. I got a swoosh last night and my weight was down to 232 this morning. Still up 1 lb from last docs visit 3 months ago, but it's a lot better than 5. My doctor never fusses at us, but I assured him that even with the holidays that DH and I are going to do better the next 3 months. I told him how I keep records of all weight, FBS and BP each day and that I had looked over those records and that I've been losing and gaining the same 5 or 10 lbs all these months and I'm tired of it. I've got to find a way to go on down. DH and I are going to have a discussion of how we are going to do this together. I do so love low carbing except for those few times that I want a little more carbs. I just may have to figure out how to do that. New DIL said she lost weight when she did Atkins by making some modifications that she knew she needed to do in order to stay OP. So I think that is what I'm going to have to do.

Rennie :wave:

love2b150
11-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Hello Ladies, I once again need to catch up.

Medeis :welcome: to the thread :)

Donna good to see you here :)

Ruth have a safe trip :)

Madeleine, Trish, and Carol Sue :wave: will catch up soon.

I can report that my fbs has been good, but my weight hasn't. I am no where near my Thanksgiving goal of 177. I didn't even make it to 179. I weighed in at 184.2 today. I don't think the 180's are ever going to release me.

Have a great night all, rest well. :hug:

Wannabehealthy
11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Welcome Medeis and Lotsakids! I think all of us currently posting here are type 2 and trying to find the right carb limit to keep our FBS in line. But type 1's are welcome here, too. Jump right in and post with us. We can always use some new ideas and comments.

Trish - I am on my own with my low carbing. No way my husband would participate. I pray to God he is never diagnosed with diabetes because he would not even attempt to follow the rules.

I'm glad to hear you had a good visit with your son and fiance. My DIL is more like a daughter to me than my step-daughter.

Mad - Hope you have good news from the naturopath. Looking forward to hearing about it.

I'm thinking Ruth came to US so she could celebrate another Thanksgiving. LOL Good idea!

Rennie - I think it would be best to settle for maintaining over the holidays. There are too many things going on. I am having a big problem fitting in my exercise and that's the biggest problem with my FBS. Exercising helps me so much. And I read recently that moderate is better than intense, because intense exercise can stress the body and stress raises blood sugar. I can exercise longer if I stick to a lower intensity.

My pies are done and I'm going to chop the veggies for the stuffing, and that's about all I can do ahead. I have all my ingredients ready to go. My pans are prepped and ready for the turkeys (2). My husband is actually helping me clean. LOL I won't complain!!

Have a good day, everyone!

fatmad
11-27-2013, 07:58 PM
SO, I went mainly because of my arthritis, as the hand (well one finger) is quite painful, and so swollen and getting deformed with the nodules. Also, I was concerned about all the bursitis I get. In addition, I am always tired.
He took a drop of blood and put it under the microscope, he has a screen so we can both view it.
In spite of my medical background, I have never looked at my blood before. (no lab placements in my nursing or midwifery schools). I was quite interested.
From this he deduced that I may have a B12 defiency. My cells showed some oxygen defiency. THis in spite of the cpap for sleep. I know my oxygen saturation is fine (test myself because the machine muck up on babies all the time), it is usually 99%.
Low B12 fits my symptoms. As you all know, I regularly supplement my B's in general, and I eat meat, so lack of B12 is not the issue. You may not know that we make a substance in our stomachs, its called "intrinsic factor" that we need to absorb the B12. We may not make enough as we age, and I learned last night after my appointment, that about 30% of type 2 diabetics taking metformin develop B12 deficiency. There are some excellent medical studies showing this.
So I am now starting B12 injections, of a high quality type. (Cyanocobalomin is what is usually taken, but there are more natural forms more easily taken up by the body). I had one yesterday, and will do another tomorrow, then weekly after that. I hope to see some improvement soon.
It sure won't hurt and may be quite helpful.

Wannabehealthy
11-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Mad - This all makes sense and I hope it helps you. My husband has the same hand symptoms that you have. They bother him mostly at night, and therefore he always wants me to rub his hand during the night to ease the pain. It really interrupts my sleep, but since I don't have to get at a certain time to be anywhere, I try not to complain. He would probably do it for me. He will not see a doctor about it or take meds.

I got a really nice surprise on Wednesday. My meds came in the mail, and my most expensive med is now being replaced by generic so it's saving me $87 every 90 days. That is such a big help!

I had a nice Thanksgiving. I ate turkey, broccoli casserole and stuffing, which is my pre-chosen carb for the day. Well, I also had a tiny piece of pumpkin cheesecake which was delicious. When the wine started flowing, I was diluting mine with diet ginger-ale. I considered it a successful day.

pattygirl63
11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
We ended up going to Ruby Tuesday's to eat Thanksgiving day because Golden Corral was running over with people. I did pretty good yesterday. I ended up having a beautiful salad with a fair steak and steamed broccoli at the restaurant. Came home and had a piece cherry cheesecake that I made and then finished off the approximately 1 c dressing that was leftover from when my DS was here.

This morning I went to Aldi's and got some fruit and then to Food Lion to load up on veggies. One thing I suddenly realized after a week of eating a little bit more carby fods than usual is that I really do like fruits and veggies, especially greens, as well as protein. So I started Paleo today not as a diet, but as just the way I like to eat. I get the benefit of low carb with fruit included. I have a book called Paleo for Beginners and it gives the basics where many start and then modify it to fit their lifestyle. This is why it is not a diet.

Edited to say that after reading on another website about Paleo, I guess I am doing Primal instead of Paleo because I am not giving up dairy especially cheese. I love cheese on my omelets.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Wannabehealthy
11-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi Trish, sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and ate what you liked. I, like you, cannot give up dairy. I buy those oblong blocks of mozzarella and just slice off a piece, many times for my bedtime snack. The fat in it curbs my stomach growling at night so I don't have to eat a lot.

My SIL made a wonderful broccoli casserole with mushroom soup and cheese, and it was delicious, but I tend to eat my veggies plain. I think I will make it someday, but modify it to my own tastes.

Primal is a good plan. I agree it's best to find a plan that reflects your preferred woe. It makes it easier to stay with it long term when you don't feel as though you're being deprived of things you like.

pattygirl63
11-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I talked to the doctor about hubby eating broccoli. He said that he can eat a little bit of broccoli and green veggies each day. He said that he will just have to adjust DH Coumadin.

I am eating kale and mustard greens raw in my salads. I also had cooked red chard yesterday for a snack. My daughter has told me several times that greens will lower your fbs. I had so much carbs and no veggies over the weekend along with no exercise that my fbs shot up to 219 yesterday. After eating Primal and loads of greens, my fbs was down to 189 this morning. Obviously she knows what she is talking about. In fact, the last time I talked to her, she said she had her fbs down to normal. I'm so proud of her.

I heard a doctor on Youtube a while back who said that he believed that a diabetic get his blood sugar back to normal eating Paleo in about 2 - 3 weeks. I would be happy if I coulld get mine down to normal by eating Primal at least by the time that I go back to the doctor in February. Or at least closer to normal.

I eat my fruit in the mornings like Allen Carr recommends in his book, Lose Weight Now. On busy mornings, I make a fruit drink in my Magic Bullet because it is easier and quicker. Of course, I eat protein, non-starchy veggies and nuts the rest of the eating hours allowed. Carr says don't eat protein as he pushes vegetarian and I thought about going vegetarian, but just can't give up the meat. This way of eating is much more sustainable for me than a vegetarian diet. I can have the good veggies that I like along with my protein. I plan to make this my main way of eating with the idea of Dana Carpendar where I can occasionally have a planned off plan meal of my choosing. The nice thing is that I can do all this Intuitively... eating only when hungry and eating until satisfied.

Carol Sue Sounds like you have your plan down pretty good the way you want to do this too.

Bonnie If you check in to read, please let us know how you are doing. I know you have a full plate with all that is going on at your house, but I hope you were able to have a nice Thanksgiving.

[B]Fatmad, Rennie, Ruthie, Medeis, Lotsakids and everybody/B] :wave:

love2b150
12-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Carol Sue and Trish, sound like you're doing well, good for you :high:

Well I only loss .4 for the month. I guess I can count that as a victory since I didn't do too much damage over the holiday. I found that I can't eat as much as I use to and with what I ate for two nights I woke up with a stomach ache. So it's not worth it to need to go to the bathroom and can't. Better luck in December :crossed:

I'll check to see if the December chat has been started if not I'll start it and post the link here :)

love2b150
12-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Here's the link … see ya over there :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/290198-december-chat.html#post4892398