Ideal Protein Diet - 1st day on IP, couldn't get through lunch :(

itzroxy814
10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Today is my 1st day on IP... I was very nervous yet excited to start. I had the chocolate drink for breakfast which was good. And was excited about the broccoli cheese soup for lunch (adding in my own steamed broccoli).

Let me tell you it was NOT what I expected! Did I expect something yummy and creamy like Panera Bread or Quizno's? No. But I wasn't prepared for what the soup was. It was way more liquidy than I would have liked and I put WAY TOO MUCH broccoli in there (1 2/3 cup). My friend was watching me eat and cracking up because I was literally gagging once I put the spoon in my mouth. Something about the flavor of the soup. It had a horrible aftertaste to me and just instantly made me gag.

After smelling it, she decided it smelled just like baby formula! lol And I agree!

I tried and tried... Took almost an hour lunch trying to get it down, even chasing it with a few drinks of water.

I find myself wondering what I got myself into, being that it is my first day and I already HATED my lunch. If it just had a bad taste, that's one thing. But I couldn't deal with the gagging. I sure hope some of the other "meals" taste better.

So sadly, I had to throw away my food. It killed me because I already feel like a failure, but I decided that I will somehow make up later for what I had just thrown away. Not sure if the pic will show up but I attached one showing how much I threw away.

But I am new to this, baby steps!! I need to be open to all the foods and just realize I won't like them all and stick to the ones I do :)

staceyjblack
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah.... the food prep takes a bit of trial and error. I have found that I need to adjust the water for some packets up or down depending. For the soups, I prefer them thinker like a sauce and i pour it over my veggies. Some of the fruity drinks I find too sweet and need to water down.

You'll hear this from others too, but your tastes will actually change through the program. Things I HATED in the beginning, I now enjoy, and vice versa.

I even noticed that vegetables tasted different to me after a few days on IP.

Beans Louise
10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, it really is up to personal preference, and I promise you will find packs that you DO like.
Personally, I don't like any of the soups. I think they are all varying degrees of gross. The mushroom is the only one I will get occasionally, just for something different. If you are trying the soups, I recommend adding hot sauce if you like it! For me, hot sauce makes everything better!!

I have pretty much the same thing every day:
I have a pre-made chocolate drink for breakfast,
a bag of garlic soy chips for my snack,
and my lunch: i rotate between Potato Puree (which I bake into two "muffins" - will give you the recipe if you want it..SO GOOD!),
the crispy cereal (I add a little cinnamon),
the omelet (sometimes add spinach or other veggies and of course hot sauce!),
the maple oatmeal
or the mushroom soup.

Again, that is just me - but those are the ones that I have personally found to taste the best.
Don't worry, you will find yours and get into a groove :)

The first two days were the hardest for me. After that it got easier every day. It has been 6 weeks now and I love it. You can do it!!

IdealProteinNewbie
10-30-2013, 02:05 PM
I echo what everybody else says. Your tastes will change and you will find things you like, I promise.

That said, I still don't enjoy the broccoli soup.

PS. I know you liked the chocolate drink...try eating it slowly in the microwave = hot chocolate!

Figgypudding
10-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I've tried everything and now i stick to a handful of packets i like (and am not allergic to.) I think its easier to enjoy the IP food if you have a couple detox days of just meat and veggies before starting. Then pudding and hot chocolate seem like a treat. If you don't like something you never have to eat it again. If you have a whole box of it your clinic should let you return it for something else.

itzroxy814
10-30-2013, 02:12 PM
I echo what everybody else says. Your tastes will change and you will find things you like, I promise.

That said, I still don't enjoy the broccoli soup.

PS. I know you liked the chocolate drink...try eating it slowly in the microwave = hot chocolate!

OMG I love hot chocolate... that is an excellent tip, thanks! :)

And yes, I also don't think I will ever acquire a taste for the broccoli cheddar soup! lol

vanishingchick
10-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Don't give up! It will take you some time to figure out what foods you like and don't like. I have a good friend who has been doing this with me and we like totally opposite things. My usual is wildberry yogurt for breakfast because I find it very filling, mango drink for lunch with a salad, and crispy cereal for a snack because I like the crunch it gives. On weekends, I usually throw a cappucinno drink in the blender with some cooled coffee and make a smoothy. I however do like all of the soups except for the leek. I usually just use them with some leftover veggies from the night before. The tomato soup is great with some sautéed zucchini and mushrooms.

ems70508
10-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah, the soups are a struggle for me too. I was given some and they are collecting dust in my pantry! I am like you, I enjoy a shake in the morning to slowly get me going. I like to slowly warm mine up (SLOWLY) being the key word, and then add to my coffee. I realized that I do enjoy snacking so to solve that, I do not eat my 2nd and 3rd packets at my meals. I usually do a big salad for lunch and something warm (steamed or baked veggies) for dinner. I love having a restricted snack in the afternoons and my pudding at night. I stick the Ready Made pudding in the freezer for a while before I eat it...feels like i'm cheating with ice cream or something!

Like everyone says, you'll find the packets that work for you. Don't get discouraged by the ones you don't like!

lisa32989
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
itzroxy814:
I've been on IP for over a year and STILL don't like the broccoli cheese soup (I've tried several ways of doctoring). Others like it. I don't. We all have different tastes and luckily there are LOTS of choices.

I do like the other soups, especially cream of chicken and mushroom, both if I puree 2 c. veggies (after cooking) and add (usually mushrooms, celery, bok choy).

I use the potato puree for lunch frequently. I either make zucchini muffins (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4815317-post89.html) or I cook 2 c of cauliflower, mash it up (like mashed potatoes), and add it to the potato puree. Very filling!

I like the chocolate pudding (packet) for breakfast made into a smoothie using 8 oz water or cold decaf coffee, 1 c. raw spinach & ice cubes. It makes A LOT! I usually drink some before leaving the house and fill a 24 oz Tervis Tumbler, which I drink about 10 am.

Try lots of different things. You'll find what you like and what you don't. There were some things I never tried b/c I don't like the "regular version" of them so I was pretty sure I wouldn't like the IP version (BBQ flavor & tomato soup are 2 examples)

After a while, you fall into routines and eat a lot of the same things. But, you know what? We do this when we are NOT dieting, too!

GettinHealthyNow
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Ironically I'm reading the threads as I sit at my desk eating lunch - the broccoli cheese soup today! And I agree, it's vile. I bought a box and am now forcing myself to get through all the packets as I refuse to waste the money and not eat them. Never again. There's lots of other choices that I prefer and will stick to them.

lisa32989
10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Ironically I'm reading the threads as I sit at my desk eating lunch - the broccoli cheese soup today! And I agree, it's vile. I bought a box and am now forcing myself to get through all the packets as I refuse to waste the money and not eat them. Never again. There's lots of other choices that I prefer and will stick to them.
Does your clinic have a trade basket where you can trade/try new items before you buy? If not, suggest one!

mat240
10-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Chicken noodle soup works well for me. Find it to be a lot like Lipton. I add sea salt.
I'm loving the ready to serve chocolate pudding. Its so easy to grab and go.
Do you like eggs? I have the herb & cheese eggs every morning and its really easy to add things to them, like mushrooms , fat free ham, peppers etc. Do you like salad? I have a large salad for lunch with all the allowed veggies in it. Okay, sometimes some fresh Goat cheese as well. My salad is awesome and then I have the chicken noodle soup and I can't eat anymore, and I'm a 240 lb guy. Keep trying.

bmorelock
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Great, I just bought a box of Broccoli Cheddar soup LOL
Here's to hoping I like it!!

GettinHealthyNow
10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Does your clinic have a trade basket where you can trade/try new items before you buy? If not, suggest one!

Good point - I don't know! Will find out. I still have three of those godawful broccoli cheese soups to get through.

Kathy

AliExpat
10-30-2013, 03:57 PM
I remember my first week when I got a mish-mosh of all kinds of stuff. Most of the stuff I enjoyed, but some, like you, I had to choke down. Take a look at the "What are you eating today" threads. It will give you an idea of how IPers deal with IP food. For a while I was having chocolate pudding for breakfast, lol. Now it's either the choco peanut bar or the choco pancake mix made into a muffin (DE-LISH). I enjoy the chicken soup (not the noodle one) and the chicken ala king is my absolute favorite. The drinks are good too but I agree that you may need to add a bit more water to some of them.

Anyways, don't give up yet because it's all worth it and the first week is always difficult. Congrats for starting and WELCOME!!!!!

WillowVee
10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
I love the broccoli cheddar soup. It's been one of my staples all along. But yeah, much of this stuff doesn't taste exactly like we might expect. I'll echo what others have said: tastes change over the course of this plan and you never know what will be a fave down the road if you can get up the nerve to try it again. Re. the b/c soup...I add 1 cup of broccoli, dried dill weed, and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb spice. Then I cook it a bit more than I should so that it thickens up nicely.

Ferk
10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I just buy the cereal flakes (they actually taste like a bran flake cereal) and eat that just for filler and then eat a giant salad for lunch. I got sick of the soups after a week.

CrystalWolf
10-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I find myself wondering what I got myself into, being that it is my first day and I already HATED my lunch. If it just had a bad taste, that's one thing. But I couldn't deal with the gagging. I sure hope some of the other "meals" taste better.

So sadly, I had to throw away my food. It killed me because I already feel like a failure, but I decided that I will somehow make up later for what I had just thrown away. Not sure if the pic will show up but I attached one showing how much I threw away.

But I am new to this, baby steps!! I need to be open to all the foods and just realize I won't like them all and stick to the ones I do :)

You have the right attitude about being open to trying the foods. I didn't enjoy any of the soups. I only had the ones in my start packet, I couldn't even finish most of them and can only buy by the box. However I did find lots of other things I liked.

My favorites are the strawberry wafer, caramel nut bar, premade chocolate pudding, crispy cereal made into a pancake and wildberry yogurt drink.

jodi73
10-30-2013, 05:47 PM
The food is definitely a trial and error thing. My first day on IP, I was so excited to have the tomato basil soup. I couldn't gag the stuff down, it was so bad (to me). After a week or two, though, you'll figure out what you like and it will get so much easier. The first few months, before I discovered the alternatives thread, Nashua Nutrition, and Quest Bars, I lived on the chocolate shake, the mushroom soup, the pottage, and bars. I've incorporated alternatives into my plan because I needed a wider variety, but if you're not ready for that, just try everything once, figure out which you can deal with eating, and stick with them. Once the weight starts melting off, it will motivate you to the point where you won't care that you're eating the same foods over and over. The other thing that saved me was Rainbow's threads- she figured out some amazing recipes using the IP packets (I still have her crab cake recipe using the potato puree packet once a week).

Good luck!

SweetScrumptious
10-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I've thrown away the Broc Soup a few times! I just can't tolerate it as well.

The soups I find that I do like are the Leek Soup (mixed with half/half cauli & broc puree) and the Chicken a la King (on it's own).

Snarfler
10-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I guess I'm one of the weird ones too...I like the broccoli and cheddar soup. I just chuck 1-2 cups of raw broccoli in there after I heat it up and yummmm....

I also like the mushroom soup, but it is pretty salty. My favorite soup is the leek soup, hands down. It is also a bit salty for my taste, but I like to eat it with raw celery and it's super delish.

As far as mixing it up, I like my soups thick (so usually only add about 6oz of water) and my fruit drinks thin (at least 10oz of water).

Do see if your clinic has an exchange because it's the best way to try the packets without having to buy 'em 7 at a time. I had some friends on the diet and was able to swap with them too. Just don't be discouraged because of one bad experience. It works if you stick to it!!

stephascope
10-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I was so depressed on my first day of IP. I had the herb and cheese omelette for breakfast and the chicken a la king for lunch. I found them so horrible and didn't think I would be able to make it past a few days on this program. It's day 11 and I'm still hanging in there! I am still feeling sorry for myself that I can't have any Halloween treats though. :P

Avalon1957
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I have no idea why you threw away all your food. You can sell it ... on ebay or even on this board I bet ... or if nothing else give it away to someone on this board that is struggling financially.

All you need is to find 1 or maybe 2 things that you like and aren't allergic to. Just try 1 box of things until you stumble onto your staple.

I have been practically living on the chocolate drink and I've lost a ton of weight.

I didn't like a lot of the other foods, but strangely I liked the broccoli cheese soup.

The other thing is it's possible that the IP diet is just not the right diet for you, there are lots of ways to lose weight. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

That being said I have never lost as much weight or as many inches (i.e. as much fat) as FAST and as STEADILY as on the IP diet (the 100%, full-on, no-cheat version).

NinjaNurse
10-30-2013, 07:12 PM
IP food takes getting used to. I love some, cannot tolerate others. Faves are Choco drink and IP cereal made into a pancake only. The peach Mango drink (pre-made) is DELISH.
I like the Brocolli soup, but I make it thick add a ton of brocolli and doctor it up. You will get your faves. And Thanks to the recipe threads, there are tons of ways to get around eating the packets as is.

Choco drink with morning coffee, I add cinnamon and a dash of chipolte. You can freeze it to make an ice cream too. DOn't give up, I will NEVER forget that 1st day and haven't touched the chicken a la king thing since!!

GL!

IdealProteinNewbie
10-30-2013, 07:14 PM
first off, I have no idea why you threw away all your food. you can sell it, on ebay or even on this board I bet. or if nothing else give it away to someone on this board that is struggling financially.

look all you need is to find 1 or maybe 2 things that you like and arent allergic to. Just try 1 box of things until you stumble onto your staple.

I have been practically living on the chocolate drink and i've lost a ton of weight.

I didnt like a lot of the other foods, but strangely I liked the broccoli cheese soup.

Don't want to speak for her, but I believe she only threw away her bowl of soup that she was eating for lunch today, not actual unused packets.

JLUS
10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't want to speak for her, but I believe she only threw away her bowl of soup that she was eating for lunch today, not actual unused packets.

That's how I read it as well - just the bowl of soup!

Avalon1957
10-30-2013, 08:33 PM
That's how I read it as well - just the bowl of soup!

My mistake!

Jenny38
10-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Hang in there, it gets better. It took me 6 weeks to try a recipe - the crispy pancakes - and they were yummy. I retuned the box of tomatoe soup and told them to give it to people for free, hated it. i like the mushroom and tolerate the chicken ones. The chili is nice on top of a salad and hot sauce on pretty much everything.
Be careful you don't over heat because that breaks down the protein and makes it taste worse.

I'm going to suggest a trade basket where I get my food.

afbrown2
10-31-2013, 09:22 AM
My favorite lunch was the chili. I would dice 2 cups of zucchini, mushroom and sometimes turnip and steam in the microwave before adding the chili... and yes add hot sauce! very good warm and filling lunch.

AliExpat
10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Day 2...how are you doing???

Delgen
10-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Here is what I did to make soup more palatable ...actually I love it.
I like to make my veggies really mushy. I cook gobs of them in my pressure cooker. You would not have to do this, but I like the consistency of it when I put them with soup and just a little water.
THEN
I add this taco seasoning mix to the whole thing. Tastes like tortilla soup:

Ingredients
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Thanks to StaceyJBlack for this great seasoning mix!

staceyjblack
10-31-2013, 05:23 PM
Here is what I did to make soup more palatable ...actually I love it.
I like to make my veggies really mushy. I cook gobs of them in my pressure cooker. You would not have to do this, but I like the consistency of it when I put them with soup and just a little water.
THEN
I add this taco seasoning mix to the whole thing. Tastes like tortilla soup:

Ingredients
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Thanks to StaceyJBlack for this great seasoning mix!

Welcome! And what an awesome idea. Totally going to try that!

GettinHealthyNow
10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Be careful you don't over heat because that breaks down the protein and makes it taste worse.

I did not know this! Thanks - this is why I keep reading these threads. I boil the heck out of my stuff daily...no more!

brelo
10-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Broccoli cheese soup SOUNDS delicious, doesn't it? Luckily my coach had a bin of individual packets so I was able to try before buying. I had found on this site somewhere a recipe for quiche using the soup packet with some veggies. It was a pretty bad, never again idea! I liked okay the chicken soups and a veg-beef soup that I got from Nashua.

wantanewme
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Today is my 1st day on IP... I was very nervous yet excited to start. I had the chocolate drink for breakfast which was good. And was excited about the broccoli cheese soup for lunch (adding in my own steamed broccoli).

Let me tell you it was NOT what I expected! Did I expect something yummy and creamy like Panera Bread or Quizno's? No. But I wasn't prepared for what the soup was. It was way more liquidy than I would have liked and I put WAY TOO MUCH broccoli in there (1 2/3 cup). My friend was watching me eat and cracking up because I was literally gagging once I put the spoon in my mouth. Something about the flavor of the soup. It had a horrible aftertaste to me and just instantly made me gag.

After smelling it, she decided it smelled just like baby formula! lol And I agree!

I tried and tried... Took almost an hour lunch trying to get it down, even chasing it with a few drinks of water.

Believe me you are not alone! I can't stand any of the savory items. I learned this the hard way. And since that first week I've lived on a handful of items I actually like: chocolate drink, vanilla drink mixed with coffee, cappuccino drink with coffee, crispy cereal, chocolate pudding, and maple oatmeal. You just have to figure out what works for you.

nray111
11-01-2013, 05:38 PM
So sorry for the bad experience..I agree with the other comments...lol I also thought the Broccoli Cheese smelled like baby formula.....some foods you wont like others you will...there are also alternative foods out there that work well with IP..I use some ITG Diet foods now that are amazing..like a Chocolate Fudge Cake..yeah really! lol...Anyhow..best of luck and yes, experient with the foods and maybe try some alternative one..there are great recipes out there! Best of Luck!!

MelissaKate73
11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
It's so funny reading through this thread, because some of the foods that I HATE, others LOVE....and vice versa! :)

I dislike most all of the soups. I like the chicken and chicken noodle ones best, but they're not something I eat more than once a week. I was really excited to try the tomato basil, since I LOVE LOVE LOVE tomato soup....but I had to choke that mess down! It was awful to me.

Keep trying different ones and you'll find some that you like. And then your taste buds will change some over the coming weeks, which allowed me to tolerate some that I hadn't liked at all before.

Sunnis3
11-06-2013, 12:31 AM
I got tickled reading about you gagging through lunch. Not that I think your discomfort is funny; but, I was at the dr's office today, this is the program he suggested I try. After listening to him explain it, I was like, yeah I understand the program but is the food going to make me gag? I guess I now know that yes it will. I have a highly sensitive gag reflex. I was just glad to see someone else has the same problem. Hopefully, we will find the things we can tolerate. Good luck with the program.

nray111
11-06-2013, 08:48 AM
It's so funny reading through this thread, because some of the foods that I HATE, others LOVE....and vice versa! :)

I dislike most all of the soups. I like the chicken and chicken noodle ones best, but they're not something I eat more than once a week. I was really excited to try the tomato basil, since I LOVE LOVE LOVE tomato soup....but I had to choke that mess down! It was awful to me.

Keep trying different ones and you'll find some that you like. And then your taste buds will change some over the coming weeks, which allowed me to tolerate some that I hadn't liked at all before.
that is too funny..I was expecting something like Campbells and got this weird bothy tomato soup from IP...I was delighted when ITG Diet offered a new tomato soup..it is great..much more as expected..creamy and slightly sweet..I just add some sea salt and am good to go..its great that there are such great alternative foods that work within these diet plans the same way and give us such more variety!

Run4three
11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
everyone's tastes I different. Keep experimenting and stick with it! It will improve and be SO worth. YOU are worth it!

Run4three
11-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I got tickled reading about you gagging through lunch. Not that I think your discomfort is funny; but, I was at the dr's office today, this is the program he suggested I try. After listening to him explain it, I was like, yeah I understand the program but is the food going to make me gag? I guess I now know that yes it will. I have a highly sensitive gag reflex. I was just glad to see someone else has the same problem. Hopefully, we will find the things we can tolerate. Good luck with the program.

Not all the food will make you gag. The soups and puddings are torture for me (although most people love them!) but the drinks don't make me gag at all. I especially like the peach mango. YUM. If you're willing to experiment I bet you would find choices that didn't make you gag.