Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #1  
Just One Day!

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Default First time on Atkins

I have tried various versions of low carb, but have never beaten my sugar addiction and kept caving.

This time I am following the original Atkins diet to the letter. Today was my first day, and I am looking forward to great results.
tavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #2  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavvy View Post
I have tried various versions of low carb, but have never beaten my sugar addiction and kept caving.

This time I am following the original Atkins diet to the letter. Today was my first day, and I am looking forward to great results.
Hi There, good luck its my first day too did you stock up with lots of atkins approved food.. I think I have .. I am still going to track my food in MFP so I can watch the carbs..
Clarington45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #3  
Just One Day!

S/C/G: 270/ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Hi Clarington! Yes, we have tons of fresh salad veg, frozen veg, and meat meat meat!

It is going great for me, I know it is water weight but I am down 4.2lbs already!

I expect to be on induction for a while (until I am pretty close to goal) so I have been using lots of different recipes from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
today I am making spinach lasagna!
tavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #4  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

That sounds really good, I find the boards here for Atkins, super quiet.. I joined a group on MFP that is a bit more active, I came from IP thread on here (I still check in there) very active / supportive group of ladies there good luck, I will try and check in here occasionally..
Clarington45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

I am starting Atkins Sunday. I love meat but am iffy on veggies. Plus I only grocery shop once a month. Might need to change that. Anyways, I wish you luck!!!!
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #6  

I am on day 3.

Day 1, I became really sick and could hardly eat (I might have gotten 700 calories all day) and the headaches began.

Day 2 the headaches continue. I keep a diary of calories/protein/Net Carbs..

Day 3 still more headaches, no weight loss. I drink plenty of water, probably double what is suggested, so I added 1/2 c chicken broth in the morning and again in the evening to replenish my salt.

I am finding this diet both easy and hard. I love that I can still eat, and eat delicious food. However, I HATE veggies. I am struggling with that.

I still have not gone into ketosis. I am tired all the time. I am sticking it out, waiting for that wave of energy that everybody talks about. Oh, and I had to put my scale away because I was weighing myself 3 times a day again, and that just bums me out. HA!
JBeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #7  

DO NOT STAY ON INDUCTION UNTIL YOU ARE ALMOST AT GOAL!!! That is not the Atkins diet. There are 4 levels and it is important to move onto stage 2 - ongoing weight loss where you add carbs back slowly to see what affects you and what doesn't. There is a carb ladder used in this process. Stage 3 is pre-maintenance and then finally stage 4 maintenance. Induction doesn't provide enough nutrition for the long haul and you will get bored. Also Atkins is a MODERATE (4-6 ounces 3 times a day) protein, low carb, high fat diet. I suggest you go to www.atkins.com and click on the Learn Atkins tab.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #8  

All that depends on the person. Dr Atkins himself said that some folks never get much above 20 grams of carbs for the rest of their lives. I'm one of those. I'm older and my metabolism has really slowed even though I walk 4 or 5 miles most days of the week. I have been 6 years on this program and anytime I go much above the 20 grams of carb per day I begin to gain weight.

So it may be that Tavvy will not go back to eating many carbs.......she will have to play about with introducing more carbs as time goes by and see what that does to her. One good thing is we have the rest of our lives to sort it all out slowly and with comfort so we don't tip ourselves back over into weight gain or cravings.

Good luck Tavvy!
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote